Intro: This is for the sled dogs in the trenches. Real hockey parents, real stories. The Good and the Gong Show. No filters, no sugarcoating, no politics, just straight hockey talk, and the best guests around the barn. Welcome to the Crazy Hockey Dads Podcast. Alright, boys. Grind them corners, chirp responsibly, and bring that savage fire.
Scott: Alright, everybody. Welcome back to episode 65 of the Crazy Hockey Dads Podcast, the unfiltered podcast for hockey parents. No politics, no sugarcoating, just real talk for hockey parents in the trenches. Well done. Thanks, man.
Jamie: I think we probably have that down now.
Scott: You know, if that's questionable. You think? I mean, I'm just speaking for myself.
Jamie: We've not screwed up in a couple weeks
Scott: now, buddy. I mean, that's not that good.
Jamie: Listen, the bar is low.
Scott: Very low.
Jamie: But we have not screwed it up in, I would say, like a month now.
Scott: Dude, maybe three weeks. Maybe three weeks. But Whatever.
Jamie: My point is that we we are on a roll, positivity roll here.
Scott: Rolling with my homies.
Jamie: Rolling with the homies. Is that Clueless?
Scott: Rolling with my homies.
Jamie: Rolling with the homies.
Scott: Yeah. Think so. Clueless. What's her face? Alicia
Jamie: Silverstone. You know, it's funny. I am meanwhile, do you have me on your oh, you do have me. Gotcha. Because I didn't have it open.
Scott: I got you.
Jamie: I got you.
Scott: I'm with you.
Jamie: Uh-huh. I'm with you. I'm with the government. What if anybody else knows what movie that's from?
Scott: When I say I'm with you, that means I'm with you.
Jamie: It's not like an expression like I know what you mean. It means I'm with you. I'm with the government.
Scott: Arugula. I haven't had arugula in three weeks. Six weeks. Oh, it's six? Six weeks. What's arugula?
Jamie: It's a vegetable. You can't stand here in the frozen food section. Why not? You can melt all this stuff. Day for a mow. He's out mowing his lawn in his
Scott: suit. Lovely day for
Jamie: a mow. The neighbor walks by, lovely day for a mo. So funny. I mean, again, like we've talked before, like Steve Martin in my opinion is one of the great comics.
Scott: Yeah. He's good.
Jamie: Guy's tremendous.
Scott: Yeah. He's good.
Jamie: Again, I don't think they make them like they used to.
Scott: Yeah. No. No. Anyway, shout wait. Yo, just make sure to shout out BJD.
Jamie: Shout out to BJD. Thank you very much for our awesome intro buddy. It's, go check him out at bigjohndengel's Instagram. You will love his stuff.
Scott: That's what's up. Yeah. Little babies that talk.
Jamie: Very cool hockey shit. Very very cool hockey shit. Yeah. No question about it.
Scott: Yeah. Yeah. Well, let's just shout out the other partners. Who you got over there? Let me guess. I got I
Jamie: got Howie's. Howie's hockey crazy 10. Go get your tape, laces, even though we're in spring mode, spring summer mode. I know you guys are still playing.
Scott: That was the sound of
Jamie: the That was the of Scott smelling the candle. Yeah. I'm telling you, it's it's their their hockey wax is great, their laces are great, their tape is awesome. Dominic tapes a stick multiple times a day now.
Scott: Going to So tape like it's
Jamie: going out of style. They have some awesome clothes. Again, you can get Stacy's son's favorite, the
Scott: How about Stacy?
Jamie: Yeah. The vintage looking, light blue t shirt, which is pretty sweet. I I love the sweatshirts, the hooded sweatshirts with the with the again, which I said many a times in this podcast, the second best logo in all of youth hockey next to ours.
Scott: You know what I just realized?
Jamie: Crazy 10.
Scott: On on that bottle that whatever Christmas ornament had Was it Christmas H ornament? H t. Hockey's Howie's Hockey Correct. Yes.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. And listen, their stuff's, their stuff's awesome. Yeah. They have good tape. You know? Like I said, Dominic cruises through it, so can't
Scott: go And now that we are in the off season, like you said, sir
Jamie: We are.
Scott: Shout out to coach Kevin at hockey training dot com. For any of you that have not gone over to his website or downloaded his app, you should because it's a wealth of resources for yourself if you're a beer leaguer like me, or perhaps you have a kid that plays you with hockey, which is probably why you're listening to this.
Jamie: Probably.
Scott: But he's got an awesome library of speed, strength, agility, stick handling, you know, videos for you to follow along, work on your skills in the off season, off the ice, at your home, in the garage, wherever it might be. But nonetheless, you can get those reps in with coach Kevin at hockeytraining.com. And it's a it's there's a, like I said, a huge library that's gonna help you get those reps in to, you know, work on those faster feet, quicker hands, all that stuff translates into your on ice play.
Jamie: Hard to go wrong.
Scott: Hard to go wrong.
Jamie: Hard to go with coach Kevin. Hockey training HQ?
Scott: HQ?
Jamie: HQ is his Instagram. Go check it out. Scott said the library is extensive. Yeah. And while you're looking at the library, you can peruse the library. You and your children can peruse the library in a Titan Battle Gear base layer.
Scott: Okay. You know, I went to high school with a peruse. That was his first name, Peruse. Is that right? Yeah. Shout out peruse. Peruse? Peruse Bahamie.
Jamie: Yeah. There's a joke in there somewhere. I'm just not sure what it is. No. You said he's thinking of something, but it's not coming.
Scott: You said the word peruse
Jamie: and then I did say peruse.
Scott: It always makes me think of peruse who I went to high school with.
Jamie: Understood. Yeah. Most people would not make a connection like that.
Scott: No. No.
Jamie: That's not a common name.
Scott: No. No. No. At least not around here.
Jamie: No. That's true.
Scott: Somewhere else, it might be very common.
Jamie: You're you know what? Fair play. Yes. It probably is, just definitely not here.
Scott: No. I don't know where actually.
Jamie: Yeah. Listen, we are in like 87 countries, so there's probably a peruse going, hey.
Scott: Hey.
Jamie: They're talking about me.
Scott: Okay. Anyway.
Jamie: So so yeah. So while you're perusing coach Kevin's Instagram and his extensive library, you should be doing it wearing your Titan battle gear base layer, whether you're an adult like Scott said earlier, or whether you're a kid playing youth hockey, or whether you're a college kid playing d one or d three. D three is big time hockey as Jim Dow told us on our live.
Scott: No doubt.
Jamie: Go check out our Instagram. So we trust our children and our and our parents, clearly, that play ice hockey
Scott: Let's go.
Jamie: In Titan Battle Gear. So go over to titanbattlegear.com or just go into our show notes, titanbattlegear.com backslash crazy hockey dads. Use the the discount code crazy dads 10 for 10% off your Titan Battle Gear. We trust our kids in Titan battle gear. It's the best quality on the market. They have some of the coolest styles in our opinion. It looks great. It protects your kid. We spend a lot of money in this game. Cannot go wrong. Spend a little more money. Go put your kid in Titan battle gear. You'll thank us when a skate runs over their wrist or something scary like that.
Scott: Dude, knock on wood. Don't say that shit.
Jamie: You know what I mean. Knock on wood. I'm not I'm not trying to put that on anybody. My point is that just go put your kid in Titan battle gear so you don't have to worry about that stuff. Fair. Right?
Scott: Yes.
Jamie: Crazy dad's 10. 10% off your Titan battle gear.
Scott: Yes. And then we have athletic performance insight. If you wanna see how well your kid played in his Titan battle gear with his stick that's been taped with Howie's hockey tape after doing so many sessions with coach Kevin on his app, you can use Athletic Performance Insight. A 100%. That's so
Jamie: well done by you, by the way.
Scott: Athletic Performance Insight is top notch video analytics platform that, you coaches and managers, if you haven't introduced video review to your players and team yet, this is a a great way to do so. Athletic Performance Insight upload you know, we upload, or, you know, the manager, the coach, whomever is gonna upload your game Right. Your game footage up to up to the platform. It gets broken down, and then you have all the under the hood analytics. You can watch a wide variety of replays and, you know, based on zone exits, zone entries, penalty kills, power play goals, saves, whatever it is, you can filter down and drill down on all the different types of views you wanna see of your team. They got team stats, player stats, all the things. So if you are undecided or not yet thought about introducing video review for your team next season, please check out athletic performance insight. Use the contact form. Reach out to Eric. He will happily give you a demo of platform, and then I'm sure he'd be happy to tag a game for free. Mention Crazy Hockey Tens, Hockey Dads for a 10% discount on your season subscription.
Jamie: A $100 value.
Scott: That's what's up. Just saying. Eric's the man.
Jamie: Eric is an awesome dude.
Scott: The man. Yeah. Let me get him back on.
Jamie: I was gonna say he was one of our early, interviews. Yeah. Was he our second interview? Oh. Second? Was Vomer our first, or was Eric our first?
Scott: Vomer was our first two.
Jamie: So Eric came after.
Scott: Gotcha. Gotcha. We should get Eric on again.
Jamie: Right.
Scott: Talk hockey shop.
Jamie: Yeah. You know, it's funny. I had two hockey moms that I know pretty well
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: Reach out to us on through Instagram. And one of them is like, Jamie, you you should have Liz and I on. And I'm like, it's actually a really good idea.
Scott: Oh, yeah?
Jamie: Yeah. It would be really good.
Scott: What what was it? I just maybe thought of like when in Dumb and Dumber when they pick up the hitchhikers. Oh
Jamie: my god.
Scott: They just get into the van.
Jamie: And somebody starts singing mock. Z. That's right. Z.
Scott: How do you say that? That
Jamie: was again, I don't know what it is about us having to bring up like Steve Martin or like Dumb Dumber. I mean, is is that awful? Is that like I mean, it's
Connor: so good though.
Jamie: It's so so good. You know?
Scott: So good.
Jamie: So talk to me about your weekend. Let's do a weekend. Any hockey at all? Are you hockeying at all?
Scott: This weekend, there was zero hockeying. Zero hockeying. Zero hockeying, save from watching the NHL.
Jamie: Like we say, put the bag away.
Scott: The bag was away. Bag's been away. But so he skated last week a few times. Yeah. And then he didn't skate this weekend. He had a mountain biking race on Sunday
Jamie: That's right.
Scott: Right. Sunday, Sunday, where we saw one of his former teammates. So it was good to catch up with them.
Jamie: Nice. Very
Scott: cool. Out the Yaffamows. Right?
Jamie: Very cool.
Scott: And we saw their two boys racing around the but you know, you don't remember the course of the race.
Connor: Yeah. Yeah.
Scott: But anyway, no. So we that's what we had. What did we do? Saturday. Saturday, we had family over and he just like went bike riding. I was hanging out with friends. Nice. So there was no no
Jamie: Just being a kid.
Scott: Just being a kid.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah.
Scott: Saturday. And then, yeah, like I said, mountain bike race Sunday. Then he's he's back on the ice a few times this week. Nice. You know, he's got a I don't know how many more sessions left to the clinic we haven't signed up for. Mhmm. And then he doesn't have anything on the books after that.
Jamie: He doesn't?
Scott: No. So oh, well, then he's, summer camp.
Jamie: Right.
Scott: But besides that no. Oh, well, I take that back. There's spring practice. There's team practices that
Jamie: are Dom has practiced this Thursday.
Scott: Oh, yeah? Oh, is that why you were like
Jamie: One this Thursday, one next Thursday.
Scott: Yeah. We have a few coming up. I don't
Jamie: know exactly. I have to bring them because a bunch of people are I have to yeah. I have to bring them.
Scott: You mean like you personally?
Jamie: Yeah.
Scott: Yeah. Okay. That's
Jamie: all good. Yeah. Yeah. But yeah. So oh, so you guys have a couple practice too. How many practices you have by
Connor: the way?
Scott: Not sure.
Jamie: We have like we don't have a lot. I feel like we had more spring practices last year. That sound right to you? No. No?
Scott: Does it sound right to me? I don't know.
Jamie: My point is I think we're getting less and paying more. Shrinkflation. Saintsflation or, like, every hockey organization'sflation. Hockeyflation. Blackbearflation. You know? So, like Is that a technical term? I mean, we can make it one. Okay. You know? We certainly can make it one. But, yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Okay. So so we also we have our Princeton Princeton Ice Hockey Camp coming up. Yeah. Shout out Connor Jones. Oh, speak of the devil. Half of our interview today, Connor Jones and Kellen Jones. Connor Jones is the assistant coach of Princeton Ice Hockey, which you folks should know because he's been on our Instagram. We interviewed him at the ECAC in Lake Placid. Unfortunately, we lost a bunch of his audio. We we Scott Scott saved a little bit of it that went up on our Instagram, so we had to run it back, and he was nice enough to grab his his identical twin, Kellen, who surprisingly is also an assistant coach of a division one ice hockey school at Holy Cross. So that's our interview today.
Scott: It is. Pretty sick. Yeah, is.
Jamie: I mean, super sick. So we'll get to those boys in a second, but yes. So so Dominato were doing Princeton Ice Hockey Camp in July?
Scott: Sure. If you tell me.
Jamie: I think it's July.
Scott: July it is then.
Jamie: I believe it's July. Let's go. Third ish. Okay. I gotta go back and look. But yeah.
Scott: Did you do hockey this weekend?
Jamie: Did I do hockey this weekend? No. I did no hockey this weekend, actually. I did zero hockey this weekend. I I yeah. No. No hockey this weekend. We hockey on.
Scott: Oh, you bait you were like at baseball Yeah. Games this
Jamie: I was at the I was at Yankee Stadium all weekend. I was at Yankee Stadium on Saturday.
Scott: Rough life.
Jamie: Was the Yankee the Yankee
Scott: drive over there?
Jamie: Uneventful.
Scott: And why is that?
Jamie: Because we took a car service. Oh, fancy. We did. I mean, I driving around the I don't mind driving around the Bronx, but if I don't have to do it, I'm
Scott: Yeah. No. I'll try not to.
Jamie: So I took so I took my family in on Saturday.
Scott: Yeah. You get loaded?
Jamie: No. No? I don't think I actually had one drink Saturday. Really? Good for you. No one. Yeah. Behave. No. No one. Water. Water.
Scott: Yeah. Stay hydrated.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. No no no booze on Saturday.
Scott: Yeah. Staying hydrated is like the new kid waiting.
Jamie: Can I just tell you, by the way? So oh. So so John Sterling died this morning, by the way. RIP John Sterling, Yankee Yankee broadcaster for
Scott: Oh, really?
Jamie: Like, I don't even know how long.
Scott: A gazillion years?
Jamie: I it's if you look it up, you'll see it's a it has to be forty years.
Scott: Wow. It's a long time.
Jamie: Yeah. So John Sterling died this morning. Or I think he retired a couple years ago, two years ago. He was on the air with Susan Waldman forever. I mean, he's, like, he's the one that's famous for, like, it is high. It is far red as gone. He's got all these crazy John Sterling calls. I mean, everybody in baseball knew. If you're a baseball fan, you knew John Sterling.
Scott: Yeah. I saw that. I don't know that.
Jamie: Well well, I said if you're into baseball, you know John Sterling. So John Sterling died this morning. So RIP John Sterling. Yes. After
Scott: that, yeah, no
Jamie: doubt. RIP. But, so so we sorry. So so Saturday, so we we so Nancy's like, Jamie. This is what she's telling me Friday night. Jamie, she's like, there's a new thing at Yankee Stadium. She's like, it came out in the beginning of season. She's like, and it's sold out in, like, weeks. She's like, and they haven't had it back for, like, three or four weeks. She's like, it's back this weekend against the Orioles.
Scott: Yeah. What's that?
Jamie: So Yankee Stadium, those of you who know Yankee Stadium, Yankee Stadium is not only famous for it, but you go to Yankee Stadium and they give you a very large bucket, and it's filled with half fries and half chicken fingers.
Scott: Okay.
Jamie: Okay? So it's the chicken bucket. Right? So everybody knows the chicken bucket You
Scott: know this. Yeah. You probably can't find that at any stadium, like french fries and chicken fingers. That's probably like a real you know, I see why you went to Yankee Stadium.
Jamie: So again, at Yankee Stadium, the chicken bucket is a big thing for those of you who know Yankee Stadium. So my point is is what Yankee what Yankee Stadium did is they had this this there's there's an ice cream place on, like it's on every floor. It's on first, second, third tier.
Scott: With ice cream?
Jamie: No, dude. Oh. They made a miniature chicken bucket, but the two drumsticks of chicken
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: Are made out of ice cream. No. You're such a dick. So they're so they're they're ice cream, but so so you laughed.
Scott: Chicken flavored ice cream?
Jamie: I didn't say it was fucking chicken flavored. This is fucking real deal. Cream. It was ice cream that made to look like chicken. That's You, who's the chef, should be like, I'm surprised you've never tried to do this. Don't you watch all those like cake shows where they bring out something and it looks like a basketball, but it's really cake?
Scott: Is it cake?
Jamie: That's my That's same. Yeah. So this is that same shit.
Scott: But is it chicken bucket?
Jamie: It's it's They give you a miniature bucket
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: And they the two chicken things in there are all
Scott: ice cream. But hold on. But let me tell you this.
Jamie: Jesus fucking
Scott: Okay. So you have a mini chicken bucket.
Jamie: Why is it so difficult for you? Yes. The mini chicken bucket.
Scott: Yeah. No. It's amazing with ice cream.
Jamie: So anyway, dick. So so the chicken bucket, the ice cream chicken bucket at Yankee Stadium was a thing that started at beginning of season.
Scott: Okay.
Jamie: Okay? So apparently, sold out very quickly. Yeah. It just and it's been gone for weeks.
Scott: But it's I'm being serious. This is a serious question. This is I'm I can't wait to hear
Jamie: how serious your question is.
Scott: No. But what part of this chicken bucket was like the part that was sold out was like the container that they put the ice cream in? No. No. No. So the mold part was sold out?
Jamie: The ingredients to make the ice cream.
Scott: They they ran out
Jamie: of the ice cream at the stadium. Okay. So listen to rest of my story, you schmuck. So listen, why don't you call up Yankee Stadium and be like, why are you running out of ingredients? I don't know the answer. My point is that it started the season and it's it's sold out quickly, it's been gone for weeks. It finally came back Friday night against the Orioles.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: We went Saturday. Yeah. So Nancy's like, and apparently it sold out like right before the second inning. Right? So it didn't last long. So we we get to Yankee Stadium pretty early. We get there, doors opened at it was a 01:30 game, doors opened like a it was also Max Fried bobblehead day. I'm not a big like Star Wars guy.
Scott: But you are a bobblehead guy.
Jamie: Bobbleheads are cool. I mean Dom loves them, you know, so and we have them, you know, so and the baseball bobbleheads are neat. I'm not like a Star Wars guy, like I don't I don't I haven't I don't know who the fucking Mandalorian is. Like, it was the Mandalorian and Grogu. I don't know who those people are.
Scott: Okay.
Jamie: But Max Fried, Yankee pitcher, was like the bobblehead of the day. Oh. My point was that it was a it was a busy day. It was a nice Saturday, 01:00 game. Bobblehead days are huge. So the place was had like, you know, forty forty something thousand people. Right? So it was crowded. I'm I'm sure.
Scott: Yeah. I mean, chicken puck.
Jamie: I just This fucking kid with the chicken puck. Anyway, so so we get there early. Okay? The stadium it opened 11:30. I think we got there at like twelve, ten or something like that. Yeah. We were pretty early. So Nats goes, we gotta go to the chicken bucket place, the ice cream place. Okay. Fine.
Scott: Oh, wait. You you can't get a chicken bucket and a chicken ice cream bucket at the same place? You have to go two different places to get these things?
Jamie: One's an ice cream.
Scott: Yeah. They don't sell it at the same place.
Jamie: And one is a is a
Scott: So two different concessions.
Jamie: Correct.
Scott: Okay. Got you.
Jamie: Okay. So like, if you know Yankee Stadium
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: On the 1st Level Mhmm. Right off of not far, if you kinda come in Gate 4, which is home plate, you go left, and it's Benihana's is right there. There's like a bar and a bunch of like concessions.
Scott: Okay.
Jamie: Okay? So it's right by Benihana's, it's opposite Benihana's. It's like section, I wanna say like $1.25 ish, something like that.
Scott: Okay.
Jamie: Okay. So the chicken ice cream place is right there. So the line is massive. Dude, I shit you not. The line goes like past Benihana, so we get on this line past Benihana's. And you gotta go down, you gotta wrap around one pillar, you wrap around another pillar, then you get into the queue and you kinda like snake up to the front.
Scott: Yeah. Okay? Is this all before the first pitch?
Jamie: Dude, is like 12:15. First pitch wasn't till like 01:35.
Scott: Okay.
Jamie: So we're there 12:15. Okay. So Nancy, gotta get there early. It sells out by by, by the second inning. We gotta get there early. Okay. Fine. Got it. So we're online. Me, Dom, and Nancy. And Dom's like, how long do you think this is gonna be? I'm like, I don't know, twenty minutes. He's like, yeah, I'm gonna take the over on that. Like, okay. So we win this goddamn line for forty minutes. We go around the pillar. Right? We go around the and then the line is is growing behind us
Scott: by the Of course it is.
Jamie: Okay? So we finally get around one pillar, around the other pillar, now we're into the queue.
Scott: Okay.
Jamie: So we're like seven people away. Oh, no. I mean, it's so now it's like, I don't know, ten to one? Still forty minutes till the opening pitch. Yep. Right? Like plenty of time, right? Then it's like, yeah, they don't sell till the second eight, we're like, we're good. We're like seven people away, we're staring at the guy, and the guy goes, no more chicken buckets. Done. No. Didn't have them.
Scott: No. Zero. I find that
Jamie: Didn't restock them, didn't anything. They sold out with forty minutes left before the game even started. Zero. Everybody so much more walked offline. Dom stayed and got, like, something else. You know? But so then I go back, then so we watched the game. I I went to the game on Sunday as well. It was my godsend.
Scott: Miraculously have more chicken poxies.
Jamie: We walked over just for shits and giggles.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: And this time you had a huge line toward Benihana's. Yeah. Right? The ice cream place, empty. I walked right up to the front, and I'm like, hey, McKay. I'm like, you have the, the mini chicken bucket ice cream? He's like, no, man. We sold that yesterday. I'm like, and you guys didn't restock it? He's like, no. I'm like, when are you gonna restock it? He's like, I have no idea. Why they can't keep ingredients in
Scott: But wait.
Jamie: But is beyond
Scott: your shirt's ingredients is not the container. It's
Jamie: not the container. Bro, I I don't need this container. Put it in my fucking hand.
Scott: I understand that, but what the fuck is it? I I don't even I'm I don't even get it.
Jamie: It's it's just a a mini plastic bucket, but it's the the ice cream is what they're looking for.
Scott: I understand that, but what kind like, was there something special about this I ice don't wanna Google
Jamie: Just Google an image of it. No. You'll see what I mean. No. Only it looks like a drumstick, but it's all ice cream. It's a whole thing made ice cream. It's like a cone with like, I don't know, John. You know, dude, you're the fucking You know, this
Scott: makes me think of this shit.
Jamie: I don't know. This makes me You probably made this shit before.
Scott: Dude, if you want, I can go upstairs and make you a chicken bucket in thirty seconds.
Jamie: My of ice cream? Whatever you want. Well, that's what I'm saying. You're the chef. Why can't you make this shit?
Scott: What? Me personally?
Jamie: You've had made this before.
Scott: You know what it sounds like to me? No. I'm being serious. I I and I haven't I know nothing about these chicken buckets, but there there is something there is something to be said about things that like to increase demand and all of, the interest and, charge premiums. Like, if things run out You know, remember Cronuts? Remember when Cronuts came out? It was a thing. Dominic Ansel's bakery in the West Village on like Spring Street. No. Don't know if that's right. Cronuts were basically donuts
Jamie: Right.
Scott: That were made from croissant dough and fried.
Jamie: Okay.
Scott: So was a croissant doughnut.
Jamie: Got it. I'm sure it was lovely.
Scott: Yes. But they had lines around the corner and they would always sell out.
Jamie: You think it was gimmicky or was it
Scott: actually like I think it I think it was like a it was like a great idea.
Jamie: You're the donuts king of Chicago.
Scott: Well, I'll tell you about donuts in a second.
Jamie: Shout out Ferris Bueller.
Scott: Yo. No. The sausage king. Abe Froman.
Jamie: The sausage king of Chicago?
Scott: You're Abe Froman. But, so they they would they would say they sell out, but like employees that work there at some point would say that like Right. We wouldn't sell out. They would just to
Connor: They would say.
Scott: They would always wanna have a line.
Jamie: Okay.
Scott: Well And so if people thought they could get it whenever they wanted, then there wouldn't necessarily be a line.
Jamie: So it right. It shows that there's tons of demand. So every Yeah.
Scott: It's like a strategy. Right?
Jamie: Yeah. This place actually had nothing because I went to the next day, they're like, yeah. No. We don't
Scott: have any. Yeah. Okay.
Jamie: Fair. Okay.
Scott: That's weird. It doesn't make any sense.
Jamie: I I looked at Nancy. Go, why don't they like this is Yankee Stadium. How are not
Scott: stocking this? They should they should have, like, eons and eons.
Jamie: How are you not stocking this Listen.
Scott: I've been I've been in a few
Jamie: How do you not have, like, a fucking truck a freezer truck parked outside?
Scott: Listen. I can assure you that these stadiums, I've been in, like, their
Jamie: Oh, yeah.
Scott: You've done this stuff. Right. No doubt. They've got, like, they've got massive Of course, they do. Massive freezers.
Jamie: And it's not like they have, like, it's not like they have, like, a small budget for this stuff. No. Like, why would you not listen. In my opinion, they would just keep serving it until there was nobody left to serve
Scott: it to.
Jamie: But it I thought that was strange that they don't have the ingredients.
Scott: Yeah. Well, speaking of donuts, and you're saying before real quick. Mhmm. So I was actually on an episode of a show called Sugar Showdown. And See? So you have
Jamie: done this stuff.
Scott: Yeah. So but, like, the the theme, like, and going Yeah.
Jamie: You were famous before we even had the podcast.
Scott: I was not Sure you were. But I made donuts.
Jamie: Infamous El Wapo?
Scott: Anyway, but listen
Jamie: But on shows.
Scott: The only reason listen. The only reason why I'm bringing it up because the episode that I I won was called You won? Yeah. We won. Really? Yeah.
Jamie: Yeah. It was called Okay.
Scott: It was called Baseball Donuts.
Jamie: Okay.
Scott: And so the bay the the one that, that I think won it for us
Connor: Mhmm.
Scott: Is that so they basically the the idea was like, that was the theme baseball, and we had to make donuts that like gave you a baseball experience.
Jamie: So what did you do?
Scott: So we did a few, but the one that that was the the best one was we made a donut that was kind of like, think of like
Jamie: a A baseball?
Scott: A rectangle, like a long rectangle, and we sliced think it was like a hotdog bun. Okay? Okay. So then we sliced it like you would open a hot dog bun from the top. Sure. Right? And then we piped, strawberry jam down the middle to replicate the hot dog. And then we made a vanilla cream that we like Oh, she's
Jamie: doing the hot dog.
Scott: So we made and we made But
Jamie: this is all sugar. What? Is this sugar? You were making this all out of sugar products?
Scott: No. It's a doughnut.
Jamie: Oh, I'm sorry. Doughnuts. It's my fault. Sorry. Sorry. Doughnuts. Sorry.
Scott: So so we made a doughnut Got it. That was in like a rectangular
Jamie: A lot of hot dog.
Scott: And then split it open like a hot dog
Jamie: Got bun is the baseball
Scott: Piped in strawberry jam, so now we're making a jelly donut. But it looks like
Jamie: a hot dog,
Scott: and then on top we made like a vanilla cream that we we Sauerkraut and like We
Jamie: colored mustard.
Scott: Yeah. Put like a like a Yeah. Yeah. Something. The s like, you know, back Yeah.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. The condiments.
Scott: And then we made
Jamie: like Okay.
Scott: Like a crunchy, like, rice krispies and put them on top for like a little bit
Jamie: of texture. To was
Scott: Like sauerkraut type of idea. Just something Okay. And also that added like texture.
Jamie: Okay.
Scott: But, yeah, we won. Yeah. Sugar showdown.
Jamie: So and that was the baseball motif. Want the hot one?
Scott: Let me see. I'll pull it up.
Jamie: But you're not you're not a baseball fan. Is that hard for you to do?
Scott: No. Because I've been I mean, it's not hard to think of like concession food.
Jamie: Can you name me like four or five baseball players that are currently playing today?
Scott: Yeah. Sure. Give me one second.
Jamie: Can you really?
Scott: Yeah. Wally pop.
Jamie: That's no. You don't have to.
Scott: You don't
Jamie: have to die. I'm just curious. I know you know you're you're not a baseball guy but No. But yeah. So I was was at Yankee Stadium all weekend, Saturday and Sunday.
Scott: Yeah. Where the where the f? Where are my baseballs?
Jamie: Can't find it.
Scott: Homie.
Jamie: So that was clever. You guys did a hotdog, you know, kind of donut motif. Very cool. It's I'm telling you, I see. You were famous before our podcast.
Scott: Yeah. Oh, that's the full episode. Oh, the full episode's
Jamie: on there. See? Go go watch Scott's full episode.
Scott: Yeah. YouTube.
Jamie: Like I said, you were famous before we were famous.
Scott: Yeah. Whatever.
Jamie: You know?
Scott: Anyway. So yeah.
Jamie: So I was at Yankee Stadium all weekend long. It was cool. Yeah. No. It was fun. No no again, Dom was there with me on Saturday. I was there on Sunday with my godson and my my good buddy and a bunch of, my godson's happy birthday happy early birthday to my godson Hudson, by the way.
Scott: Happy birthday. Yeah.
Jamie: So he had a bunch of his buddies at the game, and Damien and I were chaperoning. It was cool. Was fun, though. Was a good game.
Scott: That's awesome.
Jamie: Yeah. So yeah. No no no hockey.
Scott: Okay. That's good. No hockey is also good.
Jamie: But hockey's coming soon, like Thursday soon.
Scott: To a theater near you.
Jamie: Yeah. Then To
Scott: a rink.
Jamie: To a bar. I've been doing a little bit of hockey, like little power skating here and there. Dom shoots and sticky and stuff like that. Mostly off ice though, I gotta tell you. Mhmm. Like a little rock climbing. We've been rock climbing a little bit. Yeah. Like a lot of all five stuff.
Scott: Speaking of rock climbing, watched the movie Apex with, Charlize Theron.
Jamie: Is it good? Is that on Netflix or or Paramount or Netflix. Netflix.
Scott: Somebody Yeah. It's entertaining.
Jamie: I was just talking to my buddy Damien after we came up from the Yankee on Sunday, he said, Jamie, have you seen Apex?
Scott: Yeah. It's good.
Jamie: Is it?
Scott: I mean, look. Okay. It's you know, what was that movie with Kevin Bacon where they're going down the river and he was like a killer or something? What was that movie?
Jamie: Oh, yeah. Was it like Meryl Streepin or something like that? Maybe. It was like, I don't say like a river wild. That's not right. What is that? He's like a crazy person.
Scott: Right? Look that up, James. Should Google that.
Jamie: Let me see. What was the name of that?
Scott: Was like some kind of like a
Jamie: It was a thriller.
Scott: It was almost like Deliverance meets
Jamie: Dude, the the speaking of Deliverance, bro, the banjo scene in Deliverance.
Scott: Oh, So
Jamie: good. That guy was cranking on that thing by the way. That is a great scene. That's a creepy movie, but a great scene. Let me see. I'm looking I'm looking I'm looking. He did Jesus Christ, he's done a
Scott: lot. He's still acting,
Jamie: by the way.
Scott: Okay. So what's the what's the name of the movie? The River.
Jamie: Not Mystic River. That's not right, is it? No. No. Because Mystic River is up top here.
Scott: Mystic River was like with,
Jamie: I don't know who was in Mystic River. I did not see it. Was it good?
Scott: I don't know. Might be confusing that with something else. Yeah.
Jamie: God, keep talking as I'm looking here.
Scott: Anyway, I don't know that I have them without much else to say other than that Apex was like this when I was finished when I finished watching it, it made me think of a combination of like Deliverance and that Kevin Bacon movie.
Jamie: Yeah. I I know the Kevin Bacon movie you're talking about. I cannot find it for some strange reason. I'm on his IMDb. I should be googling it, which is what you're doing as we speak. I don't know why I didn't just Google it. But
Scott: The River Wild.
Jamie: I thought it was I said River Wild.
Scott: Is that what you just said? Again, who's in it? Is it is it? Kevin Bacon.
Jamie: And who's Meryl Streep. Oh, it is Meryl Streep. So I was right. Yeah. Yeah. That was a good movie.
Scott: Good thriller. So in any event, the
Jamie: the So Apex is like that, you're telling me?
Scott: It it made me think of that movie and Deliverance. But Combined? Yes. Not There there is a crazy person.
Jamie: No cliffhanger like for with Stallone, like not that kind of climbing movie? No. No. Nothing like that?
Scott: Well, I can't say that for sure because guess what I have not seen.
Jamie: You've never seen cliffhanger?
Scott: I don't think so.
Jamie: No shit with Stallone?
Scott: Yeah. No.
Jamie: Oh, good movie. Is it?
Connor: Yeah. Adrian.
Jamie: John Lithgow is the villain.
Scott: John Lithgow. Let's go.
Jamie: Yeah. He's the villain. You know Dosky was really good in villain wise? Have you seen Dexter? I mean, obviously, Dexter's an old have you not seen the show Dexter?
Scott: No. I made donuts for, like, some premiere of Dexter. You did? Yeah. There was some, like, there was some, like, event next door.
Jamie: Were they, like, bloody donuts? Did you have to like, lot of jelly there to, like, send out blood? Because that was a pretty, like, gory show. Yeah. I'm assuming. I don't remember.
Scott: To be
Jamie: honest, jelly doughnuts before. I am a huge jelly doughnut.
Scott: Are you? Oh. What kind of jelly do you prefer? Strawberry. Raspberry.
Jamie: Have I I don't know if I've had raspberry. Jelly? Strawberry jelly?
Scott: Strawberry.
Jamie: I guess.
Scott: Yeah. Strawberry is good.
Jamie: I I don't I don't if I if you gave me raspberry, I probably wouldn't know the difference.
Scott: Interesting.
Jamie: Yeah. I mean, isn't the original jelly doughnut just strawberry? What's the what's the original question? And by the way, not the powdered sugar. Fuck that.
Scott: Fuck the powdered sugar.
Jamie: No. You can't do powdered sugar. You need the doughnut with the like the the
Scott: Granulated sugar?
Jamie: Correct. I was gonna say the granulated. Oh, yeah. Yes. Interesting. That's the legit jelly doughnut.
Scott: That is. Yeah. The powdered is not
Jamie: right. Where do
Scott: you where do you get your doughnuts from if you were to get doughnuts? You go to Dunkin'? I suppose. Crispy cream, maybe.
Jamie: Not a Krispy Kreme guy. Don't think I've ever walked into a Krispy Kreme. Dude. Never walked into a duck donuts either? Know they're around?
Scott: I've not gone into
Jamie: know where a bunch of them are, never walked in. Never walked into a Krispy Kreme, by the way. Literally never.
Scott: I'll say this, it's should Probably Dunkin'. I like I I like Krispy Kreme better than I like Dunkin'.
Jamie: You do? Mhmm. If I'm you know, it's funny. Mhmm. The old the old legit bagel stores used to have like legit jelly doughnuts.
Scott: Yeah. Like what's
Jamie: Like when my dad used to go get bagels when they were younger
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: Like on Saturday or Sunday morning
Scott: Yeah. Bring back some
Jamie: The jelly doughnuts were from like the bakery, the the bagel place.
Scott: Legit.
Jamie: Yeah. They were like the like a real jelly donut. Yeah. Are they I I haven't had jelly donuts in so long. Are they still good?
Scott: I mean
Jamie: Where do you go for your donut for your donuts?
Scott: I don't.
Jamie: You're a donut guy. You're like the fucking donut connoisseur. So where do you go?
Scott: Yeah. But doesn't mean
Jamie: I Where does the donut guy go to get donuts?
Scott: If I were if I needed to get donuts Yeah. Let's say for, I don't know
Jamie: Let's say
Scott: kids birthday party and school? Krispy Kreme.
Kellen: There you go.
Scott: But there's like the look, there's other places. Like, there's one place not far from us that opened up that's like called Bear Donuts. I think they're from this they're I know they're from the city originally. And then, like, you know, there's some other bakeries that make them, but that's where I'd probably go for just, you know, the
Jamie: Bear Donuts.
Scott: Yeah. But that's not you're not gonna find that everywhere. That's just
Jamie: Like, b r e donuts?
Scott: Like,
Jamie: Or b a r e donuts?
Scott: B e a r.
Jamie: Oh, like like
Scott: Yeah. Like, they have a bear, like, mascot.
Jamie: Oh, okay. Yeah. Not b a r e. Thought was thinking b a r e. Like, I'm wasn't thinking, like, the the animal. Gotcha. You know what that makes me think of when you said bear donuts?
Scott: What?
Jamie: It makes me think of another movie. Now that we're talking movies. It makes me think of Inglorious Basterds. Donnie? Donnie? Are we allowed to say that on the podcast? I don't know. We allowed to say that?
Scott: That movie is tremendous.
Jamie: That movie is tremendous. Dominic D'Coco. Dude, Angelo Searce. Shout out Angelo Searce. Don't remember what episode he was, but Angelo Searce from Pro Skate Yeah. That's what he calls Dominic. Dominic D'Coco.
Scott: That's so good. Gorlami. Gorlami. Gorlami. Gorlami.
Jamie: Anyway, so yeah. So, so we have an awesome interview for you guys today like we said a little earlier. We have Connor and Kellen Jones. I mean
Scott: What's up Jones bros?
Jamie: Seriously, two very very cool dudes. Glad I was really glad we had them both on. Connor was so much fun at the ECAC.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: It was so cool and a great idea by him to get his brother Kellen on.
Scott: Really great to meet him also.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. I mean, it's two very well respected guys, in the division one hockey space, and two big time players when they were kids.
Scott: Yeah. And it was just, you know, and it was so interesting just, like, so many things when we have our guests on just to learn about where they came from and all that stuff. But how, like, hockey for them, it wasn't like around here and nowadays there's like so many clubs and like Yeah. You're chasing, know, the next best team. It was like, no. You just like you you you went to the next level and then you went to the next level.
Jamie: Like Yeah.
Scott: It was it was a kind it was like their their their path was like void of like all of this like I don't wanna say entirely void, but like
Jamie: There was no thought to what comes next.
Scott: No. You just you play for
Jamie: the next season and you just keep going. Yeah. Which is pretty interesting to listen to the Bull talk about that. Do you know that the the they're they're from like the the I guess, called Trail, you know, which is in British Columbia. But do you that's, like, not far from, like, Vancouver. Like, it's it's they're west
Scott: They're west.
Jamie: Canada. Like, super west.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: I'm pretty sure if I look at a map, like, I wanna say trails, like, above Washington State. Okay. I think they're
Scott: It's pretty west. They're west. You don't get much more west.
Jamie: You don't get I think I'm pretty sure that, not Connor Bedard, what's his name? McKenna's from that area, if I'm not mistaken. McKenna.
Scott: Think Gavin McKenna's from McKenna's up further north. Like, I think Well, that's what I mean.
Jamie: McKenna's I think North Of Vancouver.
Scott: Yes. But, like, I think he was only, like, an
Jamie: hour drive from Alaska. That's what I'm saying. I I I don't think he was far Northwest of the Jones boys. I think he was No. Because again, they were just they're just East of Vancouver. My guess is a couple hours they were, you know, East Of Vancouver. But you'd like to say Gavin McKenna is was I think North Of Vancouver.
Scott: Yeah. He was he was not too far from Alaska. I mean, look, what do I really know? I'm just Saying. I I think I I heard an interview or whatever. I'm sure it doesn't matter.
Jamie: I'm sure it's gorgeous scenery
Scott: out by The the the proximity of either where he grew up or like where his family had like a cottage house was like Yeah. Shockingly close to Alaska.
Jamie: Yeah. I'm not surprised. Again, the scenery must be spectacular
Scott: out there. Oh, yeah. For sure.
Jamie: I mean, it's gotta be the the mountains and and the woods have gotta be phenomenal. The wildlife's gotta be ridiculous.
Scott: It's gotta be the woodiest woods you've ever seen.
Jamie: If you say so.
Scott: No. Oh, I never we're we're just rambling here.
Jamie: Alright. So let's let's
Scott: get let's get let's get to the
Jamie: hockey game. Their parents sounded like they were awesome too, by the way. Their mom, woah, don't wanna mess with her. I mean, very very and and their father is like a hockey legend.
Scott: Yeah. You
Jamie: know? So you guys will all hear about it.
Scott: Right now.
Jamie: Yes. Here you go.
Scott: Let's kick it over.
Jamie: Hope you enjoy the Jones boys. Bye, guys. See you.
Scott: Alright.
Jamie: Alright, guys. We are back with our next episode, and we have a doozy today. Connor Jones and Kellen Jones. Connor is the assistant coach at Princeton, and Kellen is the assistant coach at Holy Cross. Now I have to ask you guys,
Connor: how did that happen? I mean, you guys
Jamie: twins played played together growing up, played at the same college, and then you guys both went into the same profession? Like, how how'd that happen?
Connor: Well, it's been interesting. Kellen's done everything almost before I have in our whole lives, like, far as, you know, getting married and having kids and, you know, getting drafted a bunch of things. But I I was lucky enough to to get the job at Princeton, and Kellen's like, fine. Okay. I gotta get a job of playing coach coaching hockey now. So no. It's it's, you know, like, with Ben Sire, you know, getting the head coaching job at Princeton, he reached out to me when I was working for for the Golden Knights and was like, hey. Like, what do you think about, you know, getting into coaching? Like, I've talked with some people and and feel like, know, you could be a really good fit here and stuff, and that that made me kinda think about, you know, everything that we did at Quinnipiac as players and and kinda wanting to do the same thing as a coach at Princeton, you know, and make it a place that everybody wants to go. You know, everybody wants to play for. So that's the, you know, the short version of of how I got to to Princeton.
Jamie: So you followed your brother, Kellen? What's the story there?
Kellen: Yeah. No. But similar, like, Ben reached out to Connor, who's a Quinnipiac guy. He recruited Ben recruited us to Quinnipiac, and then Bill was not far along after Ben and was a part of that process as well. And Bill had reached out to me late kinda in July about after his assistant had left, and he's like, what do you think about this? And I was like, I gotta talk to my wife. I'm like, let me just my I I like this idea a lot, but I gotta check with her. And, you know, it's just such a great opportunity because he he knew exactly what I what I stand for, you know, the type of player that I was, you know, the values that I bring. And, yeah, so not not to be a part of something that, you know, he's kinda built there and, you know, help it grow and make it a place just like, you know, just like Card is at Princeton, but a place where, you know, guys wanna go to get better and and to win.
Jamie: It's crazy that you guys are both in the same profession. I mean, it's wild. Have you guys coached against each other yet?
Connor: No. Not yet.
Jamie: Not yet. We're looking for
Connor: looking for a game hopefully
Scott: on
Connor: the on an exhibition against each other or something. But the the best part of Kellen getting the job was that we were in in Montrose in at home visiting our folks and family when when Riggs texted Kellen. Like, my ins my first thought was, like, Kellen's like I'm like, do yeah. Let's go. Like, you know, because, you know, you never know what long the road, like, maybe we work together again and and things like that. So that was my first thought is we've always been on the same team and had a common goal. So I I mean, anyone who ever asked me, I was like, this guy would be an unbelievable coach. He's smarter than I am. He thinks it better. He sees it different. You know what I mean? So, like, I it was a no brainer to me of of Riggs asking him and them working together. So it's I'm excited. Excited for him.
Kellen: Yeah. Gotta get a game on the gotta get a game on the books, for sure.
Jamie: Yeah. I was gonna say, you gotta get with the scheduling guy and make that happen, even like an exhibition, something like that. You know? Something. So
Scott: so what was it like growing up, you know, in in the house? I I don't know if you guys have siblings that are that are also part of the equation or if it was the two of you, but, man, like, what was it like? Were you guys super competitive at each other's throats? Were you guys, like, the best friends type? Like, what was it like?
Kellen: All of that? All of
Scott: it. Yeah.
Kellen: We were best friends. We were ultra competitive. We were hated each other. You you couldn't find two people that could get under each other's skin like with just like nothing,
Connor: you know, I'm breathing by breathing.
Kellen: But no, I think my mom and dad are both super competitive, and I think she just my mom did such a great job, like, instilling us, like, that competitive nature where whatever we were doing in the house, like, you know, we just were competing against each other. Could have been vacuuming, raking, like, it just was this I don't know how my mom did it, but it it was it was she did a great job. So thank god. Like, we just everything we did had to be a competition.
Connor: Everything was literally like, hey, who there's a winner and a loser, and that's like, you know, it's a little bit different than, you know, these days and and reading about, like, what I can't remember the country in the Olympics. Like, Finland, it was like no trophies, no winning and losing. We always were like, okay. So No. No. Someone's losing. Someone's gonna go and and start crying. And it could have been literally who vacuumed. My mom would be like, hey. Zamboni. Zamboni in the vacuum. Went to carpet looking nice, like, Now I think about my kids and and I'm like, okay, guys. Let's go here. We're we're we're we're we're making sure everything's nice and neat and everything. But it was we were so fortunate to grow up with two two parents who who literally, you know, sacrificed so much for us to chase our dreams of just playing sports. You know? And, you know, as far as baseball or hockey, it was like, hey. Like, as long as you will work hard, like, we'll pay for this for you and and, you know, and and give us the, you know, the means to to to compete at a high level, you know. And, yeah, I I can't I I always tell him, like, if I can be, like, 30% as good a dad as my dad, I'd I'd be so excited for my kids. Know? Wow. Yeah. That's awesome. We were we were lucky. We were we were really lucky.
Jamie: So so speaking of so talk about, like obviously, you guys are super competitive. Like, start talking about, like, how I know your dad was a big ice hockey guy. He still is, I think. Right? You know? So, I mean, talk about, like, how young he started you guys. Was he power skating you guys all the time? Did you leave you guys alone in the spring summer? Like, talk about how you guys grew up and your youth experience.
Kellen: Yeah. We he was coaching, so I think that helped that we were around the rink a lot and just around around the game. Like, I don't think there's any, like, you know, you gotta be skating by this time. Like, there are sticks around, though. I remember my hear stories of my grandma playing, you know, mini sticks with us when we were two and three. We were I think we were fortunate to just be around the rink, and my dad has a great hockey mind and and just the way that he kinda saw the game too and kinda could kinda help us out and, like, that we growing up in that small town was like, there's no ice. You know, once the ice is done, your season's done, like, the ice is out for the for the year. Gotcha. So it's like once hockey season's done, we were we were doing something else, and that ended up being baseball baseball and golf. And it just it made us I think, for a long time, it made you really, really excited to go back into whatever you were doing. You know? Once once baseball season was done, I like, holy shit. Hockey season, let's go. And then as soon as hockey season's done, it's like, you gave everything you had for that, and it's like, oh, baseball season's gone. And then just, like, gave us, like, an energy for you know, you never there's never never a point where, like, ugh, I'm tired of going to the rink. You know? I'm just tired
Jamie: of this.
Connor: You know? So Yeah. There was never a pressure to to to play, and there there was not a there's a pressure to compete as far as, like, give it your best. You know? And, like, we knew right away if there was a game where, like, oh, man, we didn't have it or whatever. We didn't work hard. You know? Like, that that sort of thing as far as baseball and and hockey or basketball, whatever sport it was. But, you know, I I love the fact that we got to, you know, put everything we had into baseball and and then everything we had into hockey. You know? And there there was no pressure to play spring hockey, no pressure to play summer hockey, like, power skating, no skills. I mean, one, it wasn't available, but, like, there were other kids that would drive and, you know, go, you know, hour or two away to do that, and and that was great. Like, as I mentioned, you know, up in Lake Placid with you guys, like, Craig Cunningham is one of the guys the probably one of the best players to cover coming from from trail, and he'd wake up at 6AM and shoot 500 pucks in each gate. Then he do like, he did everything, but he loved it. You know? Like, and Right. And if you have a passion for it, like, fucking rights. Like, you know, like, that's that's awesome. You know? And, like, I'm passionate we're passionate about hockey, but, like, we also understand that, hey, we love baseball. You know, we love the what that did it for our psyche as far as, you know, pitching in in a three two count, and it's a 100 degrees, and it's a whole totally different mentality than, you know, hockey sometimes. So there's balance, and and everybody's different. Right? Like, it's it's pretty cool, and from even a small town, like, grew up differently. You know?
Scott: Now were your were your interest in sports, like, pretty much the same, like, growing up? Like, you know, I both played baseball where the you guys were pretty much on the same path go like, throughout, like, all the sports?
Connor: Yeah. We were, like Kellen was just, like, a 1% better at everything. That's so it Or point 5%. Like, we were so even that, like, it made competing so much fun. Like, it wasn't like That's awesome. Was always the other than probably one on one basketball, we were probably, like, back and forth. He beat me 99 times out of a 100, but that one game you know? So we were, like, we grew up exactly with the same interests as far as as everything, which, again, like, you know, not all twins are like that. Yeah. But we live to to do things together. Do things as a family, honestly, you know?
Scott: Yeah. Sure.
Jamie: Yeah. I'm assuming the family's still like that. You guys are all still pretty pretty tight. Yeah.
Kellen: Yeah. We'll go out and play golf and it has to be like, so what are we playing for? Just my mom and dad and Connor and I were like, yeah, so who's what are the teams? Oh, I'm right. I
Jamie: love it. Host of your mom and dad are still, like, getting after it. I love it. That's impressive.
Connor: They're beasts. My mom is, like, big into fitness. They're both retired now. My dad loves coaching. He's I mean, he's the best the best coach in the KIJHL of all time as far as statistics and championships and stuff. So he's he just finished his I think it's his thirtieth year.
Jamie: Yeah. Wow.
Connor: You know? And first ever time, like, as a full time job doing it. You know? And, like, because he was a principal and a math teacher. Everybody other coach, you know, had that was their full time job. So he's done it, you know, as far as, you know, just doing, you know, it as a I don't it's not a hobby, you know, it's not a hobby, but, like, that's what the time constraint should have been with his other job. So I could talk about we could talk about him as a coach for for a whole episode. Oh my god. Yeah. You know? But, yeah, they're they're active. They play golf in the summers, hiking, all that sort of stuff. They're, you know, they're like us. We can't sit still. We can't
Jamie: sit still.
Connor: It's it's a problem.
Scott: Oh, let let me like, having a dad that was coaching and and, like, such a, you know, ahead for the game, did you do you guys like, I'm assuming you leaned into that a bunch at some point, like, in your careers. Is that something that, like, when you were youth that you were leaning into some of that Hockey IQ stuff, or was it not till you got older where you were really kind of, like, picking his brain?
Kellen: Yeah. I I think as we it seemed like almost every year, maybe we talk to him a little bit more about it. I Mhmm. Early on when we're you know, when you're a teenager just starting off in juniors, like, I I always remember what he said. He's like, you know, some days you're not gonna have your best hands or your legs or something like that, but you can always control your work ethic. And that was kinda that was kinda it, like, you know, in advice. And then, you know, if he see if he saw that we were struggling or something or things weren't going well, he's like, hey, just like, you know, remember what you guys did in the backyard, you know, and what it comes down to. And that's like, hockey's fun, you know, and, like, that and you just you remember those kind of things and those habits that you do, and he's just like, it kinda came back to that. And then as we got older, like, know, then it start we start talking about systems and, you know, different power play setups and stuff like that. But he he was always, like he's always been just a listener. You know, listen to us talk, bounce ideas off him, and then, you know, just subtle subtle advice kinda thing is kinda what what we got a lot. And if if we were really bad, then that's when you guys I'm sure Connor told you when my mom would let us know.
Jamie: We we we heard about that a little bit. I'd like to hear about that a little more. Actually, fair.
Connor: I mean, I I went into the story of I think we were seven, and like, we're playing a game
Jamie: and Kellen knows a story that's coming. It's the
Connor: smallest oh, like, it's the smallest town. Like, everybody knows everybody. Like, everybody knows that our car pulls over past the train tracks after Kellen gives me a shot in the ribs and is like, hey. Like, ask mom how we played. Like and I'm like, okay. We played pretty well. We lost fourteen six but had a hat trick and three assists each, so we're thinking we were pretty good. So, again, me being the younger brother, I gotta ask my hey, mom. How'd how'd you think we played? And she I used to hear her go pull over, and we're like, uh-oh.
Kellen: Here it comes.
Connor: We're in the back of the Dodge Caravan, and it's like, we just get torched by my mom of, you know, you didn't work hard, you tripped people, you had body language, you just me, Kellen just sobbing.
Scott: And, like
Connor: so, like, we're by that time, it's like, okay. We get home, and it's like we're right to bed. Just just just tough. So I love bringing that up. My mom always says, like, she's like, I cannot believe I did that. You know? But, like, she's just honest, you know? It's it's it's never like it wasn't a vindictive or or mean thing. It was like, hey, you're fucking not working hard. Like, you know what? You're not a pretender. We're not pretenders, you know, and that's, like, something even now. Like, when I I talk to my kids, I'm like, hey. Like, if you're not gonna listen and be a night, like, then I'll get on them. Like, that's the only time I'll ever and they're foreign too. You know? Like, I
Jamie: don't know yet. He yelled
Connor: at my two year old today. I'm like
Kellen: he goes, what about
Connor: I'm like, just say please. Oh
Scott: my god. That's amazing.
Jamie: I remember those days. So do you remember that story, Kellen?
Kellen: Yeah. I pretty well. I just remembered. So what do you think? Connor asked it, and my mom just like, well and then she just like turned around and let us have it. I could probably go back. I have one from I think I still have the email, but my mom sent Connor and I an email, our last year juniors before we're going to Quinnipiac. And it was, like, Christmas time, and Connor and I were I think we came back from the World Junior Day Challenge. Like, we're we're having a pretty good year, like, and she just sends us an email that pretty much is like, you guys are falling down. You're not working hard. You think you're too cool. Like, if you're gonna be like that, then you shouldn't even go to school. Kinda like all this stuff and, like, I could've, you know, saved this email. I might just I still have it for sure because it was it was too good. And, you know, it's just like those things of a reminder being like, you know, holy shit. She's she and she's seen just as many hockey games probably as my dad too, so she knows. And, you know, that's when we look at each other too, I'm probably like, yeah, she's right. Really?
Connor: Well, it wasn't just it wasn't just like a it was a whole family expectation. Like, aunts, uncles, my grand my dad's dad.
Jamie: Like Oh, wow.
Connor: Sent us an email when we were playing in in Vasternak in the Sweet. Yeah. And, like, I was like, I'm 32
Jamie: well, however old I am. I'm like, I don't know how
Connor: to hear this. I know this.
Kellen: Yeah. That one. I say that one too. I say that.
Connor: And that's a wake up call of like, hey, like, this is who you fucking are. Like, get back to it, you know? And Wow. And so there's always been a an accountability to to that to them in a sense of, you know, who you who you are. Short though.
Jamie: Short lease, though. I
Connor: was like, hey, gosh.
Jamie: Grown men and she's still getting on you. Listen.
Connor: Parents my
Jamie: don't ever stop parenting. And listen, you know what? It was all coming from a good place. She was trying to teach you to work in life. Right? I I get it. Scott and I talk about it all the time with our kids. You know? They don't understand it yet, you know, and, you know, and when they think when they think they're working hard, we're like, really? That wasn't work? Yeah.
Scott: Little did they know.
Connor: Yeah. Yes.
Scott: I love the expression. I I think the hockey think tank and Topher says it, but, like, the, you know, they just, like, how you do anything is how you do everything. Right? And it's just like, you know, it it it's true. And you just wanna make sure that you raise your kids to, like, do the right thing. You're not gonna get it right a 100% of the time, but, like, you know, let's let's get it right way more than not. And Right. Yeah. It's it's it's wild parenting, especially kids that are playing sports now. Jeez. But what I wanted to ask was, in in terms of, like, when you guys were were growing up and, like, playing, like, at what point did you realize that, you know you know, that you could, you know, take this to, like, higher levels? Like, were you guys, like like, right from jump? You guys were, like, you know, pretty solid, or, like, was it over time, late bloomer? Like, where where did you guys kind of fall on the the development path?
Kellen: Yeah. Kind any How do I mean? Like Yeah. We were
Jamie: was it the same time?
Kellen: It was Yeah. Like, there was never a point, like, you know, you know, our hockey, minor hockey, like, was very everyone made the team. You know? It was very Interesting. Wasn't that many guys. Like, it just Right. It just that was the way it was. I can and I would say, calm, what do you think? Like, we were we were good little hockey players, but, like, there were some
Jamie: other
Kellen: good players around. Like Well, like, for example,
Connor: we weren't picked picked in the Banham draft, like, when we were like, you know, we didn't, whatever, get those, you know, accolades, the the uche 15 can't the team BC stuff. We we made it, but didn't play. So the next year, we turned it down because we wanted to go play in a big baseball tournament. Like, it was Oh, nice. Nice. You know, we never really had, like, the the high end exposure that you know, especially the way kids now that we both scout. I'm like, you know, we wouldn't have been here. You know? And No. Like Kellen said, like, everybody made the team. And so as far as, like, our coming out party, like, as far as players, like, I I'd probably say when we were, like, 16 playing playing for the Nighthawks junior b, like, we just had a good season, and then Vernon AP'd us in the BCHL, and we went there in the playoffs and just did really well. As a bunch of, you know, five five soaking wet, like, hundred and twenty pound kids, it felt like, playing against, like, a really good pentictine team. And that was the one time where we're like, wow. I mean, if we can just work really hard, we might be able to keep playing in the BCHL. Like, it was always such short term goals in the sense of, like, hey. Just wanna wear number 10 for the Nighthawks in junior b. And then it was like, oh, maybe you know what? Now I think I wanna go play in the BCHL, you know? And then, you know, oh, my mom goes, they'll pay for your school? Oh, maybe you guys should do that. You know? So Yeah. Oh. It was just so kinda and I don't wanna say nonchalant, but there was never, like, a a big time dream path, you know, as far as that. It was just kinda like, oh, we're we should just keep working hard. Maybe Oh, I
Kellen: think we're I think we're a little bit naive to just live in you know, that's there's no there's no media. There's nothing going on. We don't really know kinda we don't know who Boston College is or Boston University is. You know? We didn't grow up watching a bean pot kind of thing. So Right. When you when you're that young, it's just like, oh, that's you know, the bet we hear about kids getting their draft for the Banham draft, and, like, we our dad played in the WH. I'm like, oh, that sounds awesome. Like, that'd be a great goal to get there. Like, you know, we're watching the memorial cup. Like, we were kinda lucky too. Think Connor mentioned Craig Cunningham and this other guy, Kyle St. Dennis, two of the best players, and, like, they were kind of just a year ahead of us. So it was like, oh, they made that they made my dad's junior b team as 15 year olds. And, you know, we've we're 15, we played midget. And like and
Connor: then the next year, we
Kellen: made the team as 16 year olds, and they made like the WHL and a BCHL team. Oh, so that's seems like a lofty lofty goal. So it's kinda seemed like we could kinda follow in their footsteps because they, you know, we're kinda leading that way and just a little bit they're just better than us. You know? So it was kinda cool to to fall in their footsteps. And yeah. And that kinda seemed like like Connor said when we were 16. It was just like, oh, this is great. And then 17, we made team in Vernon. And by that time, it was like, yeah, schools are coming, and it was it was kind of like, wow, this team really wants me. And now when I'm recruiting, it's like, hey, this team really wants me. It's like, wow. You know what I mean? Now, it's not just like another team. So, like, when I'm recruiting, I'm like, you know, try to make sure I'm like, hey. This is what made me feel good when I was recruiting and try to try to replicate that for a kid's feeling and and and their parents too is kind of what we would try to do.
Jamie: And and what made you guys choose Quinnipiac? Because I'm sure they weren't the only schools that were coming after you guys the time.
Connor: Well, I think the the big part was Benny and Rand and Regan and, you know, everything that they kinda told us was like, hey. Like, we see you as guys that can, you know, take this program to the next level. And Mhmm. Know, me and Connor, like, we just really like the rink and the fact that school was gonna be paid for. You know? And and, like like, it was it wasn't, like, a huge thing, but, like, we love the rink because it was the same as the one in Vernon that we played in. And we're like, wow. I think we can have success there. Like, we had success in Vernon. But, like, those are dumb things that eight, 17 year olds think about, you know, on their fly down. And but, like, ultimately, was the relationship with the coaches that, you know, like, when they said, hey. We're losing our our two best players, so you guys are gonna come in and be our two best players. And Saizy said something to me when he's like, you guys were our, like, first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, tenth choices. Like, there it was nobody, but you like, you guys were I didn't know where I was gonna go next. You know? And I just knew that we wanted you guys and knew that you guys would would, you know, kinda do what you did. You know? And that's a credit to them as far as, like, Saizy come out called me every Monday, and he told me yesterday. He's like, you didn't always answer. I'm like, well, I know. But then he's like, but then I called your mom, or I called your dad to be like, hey. You know? And those that's just what it takes to, you know Right. Get get players and and and build those relationships. But, you know, now you're recruiting and you're, you know, I look back and I remember, like, Denver came on late, like, BU came on late, and it was like my dad my dad says, hey. They're only coming because, like, they didn't get their one through 10 choices. You know? Like, they, you know, like, they think you're good players, but, like, go somewhere where you want it, and they understand who you are and and what you are. So that was the biggest thing for Q Pac and, you know, so fortunate to have a great time there and an unreal, you know, freshman class that that joined us.
Jamie: Oh, yeah. You guys had a big time class? It was not just you guys? It was like a
Kellen: Yeah. I mean, our class was our class was a a good to see. Players wise, we had a guy, Jordan Samuels Thomas, who's now a ref, transfer in Oh, interesting. His sophomore year. He's a ref now in NHL, which is really cool. Nice. But he he transferred in sophomore year, and then we just kinda had this this group of group of guys that was like you know, we had a small town kid from Minnesota. We had a guy that we knew from the time we were childhood. Our dads went to school together. And it was like, we just had this, like Right. Group that really gelled, and, like, we just kinda kept this, like, mold of, like, a culture of, like, kinda like competitiveness. And it just, like, it it just kept rolling. And then the next year, Matt Pekka came in and and Davante's came in and Clifton's. And, like, it just and it was all you know, they weren't stars, but, like, it just was, like, ended up being, like, these type of guys with this high character, this will to win and relentlessness. It's like and we they just fed right into him. We got along. Everyone got we got along so well, and it was just, like, everything we did was was like what we how we did kinda what Topher said. It's like how you do everything. Right? Like and it's just like that's what we did. Everything from workouts to how we ate, how to maybe even going out to a little bit too hard too, but like
Connor: But but working hard was fun. Like, we wanted everything to like, that was the message that all of us loved being around each other, and, like, we loved fucking getting after it in the gym and then, you know, getting after it on the ice and then going to spend time together too. Like, we loved every part of each other. Like like, Cory Hibler was our captain. Like, we all hung out every day together. Same as what, you know, most colleges do. But when you're able to to put so much effort into it, like, that's when things change and, you know, things that we we talk about now as coaches, we're like, fuck, how do we get another level, even another level? Like, just to be like, I'll be watching work, and I'm like, okay. Yeah. Here we go. Here we go. This is it. You know? And it it's just it's fun. You know? It when you finish something, you're like, man, I put everything I have into this. And then you have 20 other guys that did it too. It's like Right. That that's what a team is. That's what what you love. You know?
Jamie: So is that what you guys kinda look now when you're building when you're recruiting and trying to, like, build out your roster? Is that what you guys are looking to do? Were you looking to bring in, like, really good character guys that are gonna gel, that are maybe not, you know, you know, super studs, you know, but guys that are good hockey players that are gonna gel and try to build the camaraderie around everybody, like,
Scott: you
Jamie: know, team dinners or team outies, whatever you guys do. Do you guys look to really, really foster that stuff in both of your programs?
Connor: I think it's already been there a little bit. Like, Saizy does a great job of, hey, like, we we want guys that wanna be here and, like, no dickheads. Right? Like, we don't want guys that
Kellen: It's a good role.
Connor: That don't appreciate what what we're what we're doing and stuff. So, yeah, you're you're always trying to to add to to the guys that, you know, that the leaders of your team. Like, I think of our senior class, I'm like, I mean, we got a great challenge of replacing, you know, nine unbelievable players and nine unbelievable kids. You know? So I think you're always trying to build it from that and be like, hey. Who's gonna who's gonna be the next David Jacobs? You know? That that, you know, holds everybody accountable in a way that, you know, I'd I'd never seen before as a leader. So I I would assume Kellen's the same same way, and Enrique's done a great job at at Holy Cross already. You know? Yeah. No. It's and that just
Kellen: like you guys said, like, we're not getting in the high star first round draft pick recruit. So I think when it comes down to for us is a lot of a lot of that character, the type of kid, you know, what they stand for, the values they have, the reputation that they have that precedes them, like, know, what they did before. And and then, you know, we we wanna get get them there, and hopefully, they can develop, and we can develop them into even a better person, a better player, and and leader. And because that's you know, what it comes down to simply is, like, there's so many good players out there now. It's just like, you know, what can separate, you know, from the others? And what what's gonna separate them from from this guy to that guy? And it it might not be the all the points. You know? It might be 20 points less, you know, but this kid's a high character who's gonna do whatever it takes to, you know, help your team succeed and your program succeed.
Scott: Right. Yeah. Be before we started recording, we were just talking. I I think you were saying you were doing some recruiting. You were out out in WHL taking a look at some some games. So, I mean, that's a pretty distance pretty big distance to cover. In terms of, like, scouting, I'm sure you got, you know, your network and people here there. But with with the rule change, how has that affected your your your scouting approach?
Kellen: Yeah. It's mean, there's just three times as many players now. There used to be that that supply is just is greater than you know, you just you gotta look for look for a guy, look for players, and if you can, know, you you gotta put the effort in. And and it's we're really fortunate now. You can, you know head coach can text him, but, hey. Look at this kid, and we can just pull it up on a video and watch his shifts and stuff too. And but, like like, you you know, it's important to watch him in person. You pick up on other things, just like Connor said, like body language and, you know, how they how they react when something goes poorly. You know? They're down one nothing. Now they're down two nothing. Like, how, you know, how they react to adversity and or a turnover they had kinda thing. Like, it's just those things that you can see in person are yeah. It's a long ways to go, but, you know, it's kinda useful to to see that stuff live, and it makes it it's fun because it's just like, oh, you know, you see a kid and you're like, hey. You know what? Maybe I can change that kid's life. You know what mean?
Scott: Bring him
Kellen: to school kinda thing like that. And That's awesome.
Connor: Yeah. That's something I I I didn't I still like when when you you you take for granted how amazing it is to to offer something like that to somebody where you're like, hey. This is a spot that literally will change your life. You know, it changed our lives, and, you know, I'm forever grateful to to to Sai Z for coming to watch us play in Grand Forks. And, like, you
Jamie: know what
Connor: I mean? It's it's unbelievable, and I always I I try and remind them, like, once every couple months, like, saying thanks. You know? Like, because That's great. It it's life changing. Like, our our lives wouldn't be what they are right now, and not that they would be bad or good, but, like, it's a pretty unbelievable spot to be in from a couple of small town kids from Montrose. You know? So the the recruiting thing is is challenging. Like, we're talking today with with the portal and with everything going on. Like, it's it's it's changed so much from from back when we were recruited. So, like, Kean said, there's three times as many players. So you're like, jeez, I kinda can be a little bit more picky than I used to, but I can't be too picky. You know what I mean? Or, you know, you're you're trying to figure it out as you go on, and it's an exciting but challenging time to be 15, 16, 17, 18 years old, you know, and going through the process. Right?
Jamie: You know, I'm curious. What percentage of of the guys that you guys are recruiting, Whatever the number looks like when you guys first build out your recruiting board. Individually, I'm sure you're all going after different people. Right? Because there's other coaches too. So what percentage are you guys looking to close? Close is a bad word. What percentage are you guys looking to bring in of the total picture? I'm just curious. Like, what's a good number that you guys can bring in? The way you're like, wow. Like, we crushed it that year. No clue. No clue. Okay. Mean Got it.
Kellen: It depends it depends on your who you're who you're trying to replace. You know? And I think the hard part is, like, you you you already already know when you have your seniors leaving, you know, who you're gonna replace. Like, those guys are already, you know, years out that you've already picked. I think what makes it hard is when there's, you know, a guy enters a transfer portal, you know, or or something like that, or, you know, who you recruited just it doesn't work out for him kinda thing. They're they're not playing. They're they weren't you know, you missed on them. You didn't you missed on them kinda thing.
Jamie: So Right.
Kellen: That's what makes it hard is when you don't you have to go find that player, you know, that kid who's twenty twenty years older over age of juniors and be like, I I we need a player. Like
Jamie: Mhmm.
Kellen: I guess they're watch him. Like, we gotta go see him kinda thing. And so to put it on a percentage basis is hard, I would say. I mean, Connor, don't if you agree with that. But
Connor: Yeah. No. And and I was joking. Like, you're trying to to build your roster with the guys you're leaving as far as, hey. You know what? We need, you know, four d, and you're trying to probably build that as you go, but you're also like, hey. This guy's a great player. I don't know when he's gonna come, but we need him on our team. You know? So Yeah. I think you're you're you're always gonna constantly be looking for for those players and, you know, try and not stockpile, but you're like you're like, hey. We're building a culture of bunch of guys we really love and and, you know, great players. Like, you're just gonna try and get as many of those guys as I think you can, and then be like, hey. There's a spot for you. You know, be fair about it. You're not gonna just be like, hey. You're not coming to Princeton. You know? Like, you're obviously gonna be like, hey. We have eight guys in this spot. Like, you're gonna be in these in this team this this time. You know? So I think most teams are probably, you know, like that with kids and and you know? Because that's just a fair and and right thing to do. Right? Like, you wanna be, you know, it's it's a two way street as far as, you know, if I offer Kellen Jones to come, I'm like, hey. Like, now it starts. Like, work starts now. You know? Like, this is a relationship, and you have to pull your weight as far as, you know, grades and and play and and all that sort of stuff. Same as, you know, life. Like, that's, like, same as what we do is you guys do and and and Kellen does. Like, you're you're you're always pulling on the same rope, and and if you don't, it's like, hey. I'm not getting dragged here. Right. Right. Yeah.
Scott: So what in in terms of, like, the the recruiting process, and, again, I'm sure, you know, many coaches do it in different ways, but I'm curious, and I'm sure many of our listeners are also, like, now now that you're in recruitment mode and you know you need to replace, I don't know, a right handed d, for example, or whatever the the the you need to do. What what does that, like, practically look like in terms of, like, okay. I know I need to fill this position. Like, kind of, like, what if you could walk us through generally, like, kinda, like, what are the steps? Like, are you first reaching out to your network? Are you going do you have already a list of players that you've already prescouted? Like, what does that look like? Because so many parents just wanna know how can my kid get seen or, you know, you hear people say, you know, if you're good, they'll find you. Right? But, like, what does that process look like?
Connor: Well, there's a, like, I think, like I said, everyone's probably different, but, like, you have a list of players that you've seen over the last, you know, like, my list of the last couple years. Like, it's players you watch in showcases or junior camps, and you're like, man, I really like this guy. Here's my, you know, the guys that are six five and right d that we're missing. We're gonna lose that guy one day, you know. So, like, let's try and bring him in, or, hey. We need a power play defenseman. Like so you have those those names and but, like, it's a constant like, I would be crazy to see, like, size he's you know, the text he gets from from coaches from building his network over, you know, thirty years. Like, it that that's, like, where you do a great job of the relationships you have with, you know, agents or coaches and people you trust to be like, hey. And you can text and be like, hey. You know, Jamie, I really need a a lefty. Who do you know? Who do you got on the on Right. Like, that that you might see or whatever it is? So those are kinda fun to be, and even now, like, when I'm I'm listening, I'm like, I'm I'm always super impressed at those relationships and, you know, the types of players you can look at and and stuff, but that's a little bit of the breakdown. Like, there's not a cheat sheet to be recruited. It's it's a lot of being in the right time at the right place too. Like, you know, maybe you stay an extra ten minutes at the game that's playing after, you know, and you see a kid, you're like, wow. That guy's pretty good. Like, who is he? You know? So there's always stories like that, but it's a lot of, you know, the connections you make and and obviously the views you have of kids.
Jamie: Yeah. Right. Yeah.
Scott: Sounds the most Yeah.
Kellen: Some similar to me, for sure, and I think a lot of it too now, especially being my first year, like, just realizing, like, you know, how important the agents are in those relationships. And because, you know, they're sending coaches guys, and they're not just sending you guys. They're sending them, you know, that kid's name to other coaches too. Right. You know, to to have those relationships and that network of not only the coaches, but also the agents, like, is is also important. And, you know, just so like, for example, you know, if you're I was talking about, like, the portal and stuff. So say we have a guy leave and, you know, he's our whatever, a sentiment. You know what I mean? Now we have a a spot open and so we can kinda go through it as and we just like Connor said, we have lists and but we also kinda rely on our network of guys, of our agents, of coaches, and, like, just reaching out and being like, hey. Who can you know, we need this guy to fill in and score some goals. You know, go down our list and see, and hopefully, we can reach out to that that person and and, you know, develop relationship, and they wanna, you know, replace Holy Cross appeals to them, and and we can get in there. So but it's it's hard because it's just, you know, you're fighting against, you know, 65 other teams and, like, you know, it's Mhmm. Now that there's 80 involved too, it's like, you know, you're try and find the best spot possible. And it's like before, used to be like, oh, it just used to be, you know, your mom and dad. And, you know, the the head coach that you played for, the head coach you played for, and then, know, thankfully, I have my brother. Like, you know? So, like, now it's like, get an agent. It's like, oh, yeah. Well, that sounds good. But, like, you know, I'll reach out to this guy and see. So it's just it's become a little bit more, you know, of a game, and you Yeah. It's you gotta play it. So that's the way it goes.
Jamie: Right. You know, I so now now that we're talking about, like, players, so when you guys are watching players, and I I Connor gave us an answer, a pretty good one when when we had them, but Kellen, I'm curious to
Kellen: hear your thoughts too. So
Jamie: you're looking at a kid. Give me the things that you do not the red flags that you do not wanna see a kid do when you're watching him and the red flags that maybe you've seen a parent. Oh. Where you're like, I can't take this kid because the parent is just off his off his rocker.
Kellen: Yeah. I red flags, like, I know Connor already mentioned body language. I would say mine is just like giving up. Giving up on a play, giving up on a back check. And it and it's not like, hey. Everyone's gonna lose the puck. You know? Everyone's gonna make a mistake, but it's like, you know, the how you respond after. You know? It's like, oh, you know, I lost it. I'm gonna get right back and grab it. You know? I noticed that so much, and, like, I just think I'm like, I I didn't think that that was that's teachable. You know what mean? Like, I just thought that that's just a will of a player of your work ethic to be like, hey. I just lost it. I'm gonna go back and get it. Or it's like, I'm gonna catch this guy and lift his stick. Instead of just being like, oh, I'm gonna get back. You know, I'm gonna I'm gonna be come back and, like, that's something that I always notice, and I think a lot of guys call it your motor. I would say that's I mean, that's what I call it too, but, like, that just relentlessness of, like, never giving up. That's something that I see, like, there's a lot of things you do in hockey that you should do. You know? You should you should backjack. You should try and get the puck out and and block shots, and, but there's all that stuff that's extra kinda thing that I I love to see. And when I'm watching a kid, I'm like, love that. Like, that kid reminds me of, like, my brother. Or it's like, hey, I I can see this kid transferring to the next level and just being like that. Never give up attitude. I'm never gonna back down.
Jamie: Like, I
Kellen: don't give give a shit how tall you are. I'm gonna go in there and get the pocket. And it's just that's the stuff that I see. And then parents parents are tough because you, you know, you just parents are proud of their kids, and, you know, when you're watching games, like, I I always seem to be sitting beside somebody or standing beside somebody, and you do you know, you're watching the same game as them, and I remember watching a kid being like, oh, great goal. And he goes, oh, yeah. That's my son kinda thing. And, you know, I'm I'm anxious to see how he's gonna respond. You know, what's he gonna say? How's he gonna respond? And I think just like a lot of things, just listening is a good thing. You know, asking some good questions is and not talking too much. You know? It's just like you don't need to. You know, you don't need to say that say too much, and let let your kid kinda do the do do it for you and show show them how he can do it out there. Right.
Scott: Yeah. That that seems to be a a reoccurring response. And not not just when we were up in Lake Placid, but also when we've talked to others, you know, about, you know, recruits, especially at the collegiate level or maybe even juniors, you know, just like how much is how much are the parents speaking on behalf of their kids? Because they want kids that are able to do this stuff on their own, you know, take responsibility for what they need to take care of, and, you know, would much rather see the parents, like, more on the sidelines, you know, just being there as support, not not, like, leading or talking on their behalf.
Connor: Yeah. You you just want a mature kid that's able to to make decisions on his own. And and, obviously, you want an important, you know, a family that supports you and that's there for you and stuff, but you obviously want, like I don't remember my mom ever talking to coaches or my dad ever being like, hey, Mark Furner. Like, why isn't why isn't my kids playing with this alignment? You know? It's like, hey. Like, this is a coach's decision. Like, here you go. Like, you know, you deal with the adversity of, you know, things that you might not agree with as a player and a parent. Right? Like, if if you continually just step in for your twelve year old, like, and you're like, ah, this is hard. He needs it easier. It's like, when is he ever gonna learn how to do something hard? You know? Like No. And and I think that's, like, an important part of, like, how I'm saying, let's a kid do the the talking on the ice and and, you know, it's great to say introduce yourself and be, hey. I'm I'm so and so. My kid's number whatever. I'm like, that's great. You know what? Like, that takes courage and stuff. Like, if all of a sudden you start being, oh, he's got this this and this. I'm like, just leave me alone. You know? Like, I don't need to hear about a skating coach. I'm excited about meeting you. You you know? So especially when they're, like, 15 or whatever, you're like, oh, gosh. But, no, it's it's it's a really hard thing, I think, as like, we were talking in, like, past, like, as a parent, like, how do you balance that line of being supportive and, you know, taking initiative to go help, but also letting the your kid do it, you know, as well. Right.
Jamie: You know, it's funny you said that. You know, you just mentioned you just dropped an age. You said it when the kid's 15. What age do you guys kind of take I don't wanna say take kids seriously, but what age are you really wanting to, like, take a real hard look at a kid?
Connor: I think it probably changes for the kid, but, like, you're you're constantly finding ways to you know, as as far as us, I'm like, hey. Like, I needed you know, as soon as the kid's in recruitable age, I need to make sure that he wants to be a student and and things like that as far as, you know, Princeton wise. And I think, like Kellen said, you you notice kids that even if they're young or 15 or 16, you're like, fuck. That kid's determined. He doesn't give up. You know? So instantly high, and you're excited about him and and and all that sort of stuff. So but you're always gonna get, like, tips. Like, one of my coaches, he's like, this kid's at twenty thirteen. Make sure you watch for him. I'm like, okay. Bye. Well, that's that's
Jamie: that's kinda what I meant. Yeah. Like, literally, you guys, like, I'm not fucking paying attention to
Connor: this Like, it's it's like, well, Auggie's gonna be a really good player when 16. He's only four right now, and I'm like, okay. You know? So I I don't know. I don't know if there's a but I would say, like, once you're 16 in recruitable age, that's when Okay. You know, we start taking note of of what you're doing and where you're doing it, I think. You know? And it could is anytime you put up a 100 points, no matter where you are, you're instantly like, Jesus, man. I got a 100 points in so and so league. Like, I'm I'm curious. You know? Or you had 200 penalty minutes? I'm like, woah. You know? So you you're gonna always, like, kinda be like that because you don't see everybody, but I don't know.
Jamie: Got it.
Scott: Yeah. And I am not super familiar with both both the rosters that from this past season, but did you have any players from overseas
Kellen: on either of your teams? We we don't right now. We're gonna have one coming in in 2027. First one, a kid from Sweden. But throughout the league, there's, like, there's some teams that
Connor: have a
Kellen: kind of a pipeline going for sure. And it seems like once they get one, like, if it's either Sweden or, you know, Germany or something common. Like Yeah. So I think those kids will it you know, a lot of them can go play in their professional leagues when they're a little bit done after playing juniors kinda thing if it's a second or third league. But you Yeah. I think you just you know, if you you can that's kinda what the agent will come into to play too a little bit. They might pass an email along, but that so there's more players too that you can pull from too if
Connor: Well, now they can play they can play in their del two where they grew up. They can play professionally and then now come to the NCAA. So, like, it's a different model where you're gonna see more of those guys. But, oh, I can go play so and so now for a full scholarship and, you know, extend my hockey career and still and then still go back to Sweden or whatever it is. But we have a kid from holy fuck. Hansi's from Jesus Christ, we're
Jamie: gonna have to
Connor: cut this out. No problem.
Jamie: Oh my
Connor: god. You're shot today.
Jamie: Connor, we don't edit, so it's alright. We'll just throw it in there. Don't even worry about it.
Connor: Finland. Finland. Denmark,
Jamie: Belarus? You know what we'll do? We'll go we'll go in and we'll, like, we'll post like We'll put him we'll put wherever he's from, like, above your head. I literally
Connor: just talked to him where he's from. I can't remember. This is tough.
Jamie: So he's not in Canada or The US? He's overseas?
Connor: No. He's from Gotcha.
Jamie: Somewhere. Alright. Gotcha. That's alright.
Kellen: There's not that many places.
Jamie: I know. It's like Norway.
Connor: It's not Belarus. It's like close to Sweden.
Jamie: Okay. Norway?
Connor: Denmark. Norway. It's Norwegian. Oh my. He's Norwegian. There we go.
Jamie: Okay. Gotcha. Scandinavian. Okay.
Kellen: There you go. Norway.
Jamie: The only reason I know that, because we have a lot of listeners from there, by the way. Like Sweden, Finland, They're
Connor: gonna kill me now. We
Jamie: have a shitload of listeners from up there, by the way.
Scott: Yeah. Especially where this kid's from. I don't know where it is, but that's where they all live.
Jamie: We do. No.
Kellen: It's a small it's a small country. Right. Right. Exactly.
Scott: It's a beautiful country. I was there once.
Jamie: When you see it on the map, you're like, holy shit. This thing is enormous. Like, goddamn it.
Scott: 90% of the population.
Connor: I'm gonna go now.
Jamie: Sorry. Trust me.
Scott: We No, but
Jamie: Scott and I do it all the time. Trust me, we do.
Scott: Just getting back to their cream piece, it just seems like, you know, there's so many places and avenues where you guys can look, you know, and have a conversation. It's just it seems like it must be super overwhelming at this point, and it it's just interesting to hear how you guys go about it because, you know, at the end of the day, you know, I think, you know, for a lot of people that are listening, you know, they're you know, it's helpful to hear kind of, like, you know, what really happens and and not necessarily just, you you know, believing rink talk or whatever on on how kids kinda get seen. Because parents put, like, so much effort out, you know, traveling here and traveling there and doing all these showcases, you know, and it just you know, a lot of people say, you know, it's just it's probably unnecessary until you get to, like, the older ages, and at which point, you know, it makes more sense, you know?
Connor: Yeah. Agreed. I think, like, we we were talking in Lake Placid. Once you get to that age where, like, you know, you see those results, man. I'm a I now it makes sense to go travel. Like, when you're 10, I don't Yeah. I don't know if it makes sense to be playing and spending $25,000 on on your hockey trips and stuff like that, like, where you're 10. You know? You still eat your boogers and stuff like that. Like, it's you you know what I mean? Like, I I guess like, once you're 15, then you can, you know, like, make those decisions to go to prep school where you you get seen by like, there's not any colleges going to watch you when you're nine.
Scott: Yeah. No doubt.
Jamie: You know
Connor: what I mean? Like, it's Exactly. And, like, that's where, like, you talk about pressure. It's like, hey. The pressure should be to have fun and work work hard, you know, and and make a relationship with your teammates. Like, that's when we think about how we grew up, it's like we're so lucky that, like, we just play with the same 20 guys, girls, and it was like, we just all worked really hard together. You know? And single a hockey teaches you that and stuff. I think we miss this we miss that, I think, out east, especially as far as, like, hey. We don't need to do the the the triple a, double a squirts times million. You know what
Jamie: I mean?
Connor: And it's Mhmm. Yep. I'm a little nervous as far as, you know, when my kids start to play hockey to to make those decisions to be like, you know, is this gonna affect him when he's 15 that he's not on the best team when he's nine? That's probably a question for you guys. I don't think so, but I hope not.
Scott: I I don't think so.
Jamie: No. No. No. No. At in the moment, it's you know, it's funny.
Scott: It feels like sometimes.
Jamie: It does feel like you know, and even it's funny when we were in Lake Placid and we right right before you came with us and we had Jason Tapp on, he was saying because I think he has a
Connor: two thousand
Scott: He's a 14 and a 12.
Jamie: A 14 and a 12. Right? Yeah. So my son's a 12, Scott's son's a 14, so it was like perfect. So he was saying, he's like, Guys, I know better because I'm in this business. He's like, and I get, like, FOMO. He's like, I look at my wife, and I'm like, oh my god. Like, what are we doing? Like, maybe we should do more. You know? It was crazy. Listen to, like, somebody who's in your profession go who knows better go, oh, shit. Like, I mean, it's real. It it, like, it it like, it just I don't know. When you're in it, it just grabs you.
Kellen: You know? Some someone told me the other day, my kid's three and a half. They're like, is he skating yet? He's like, I'm like, he's not gonna make it. And I'm like What? I'm like, he's not gonna I'm like, this kid can barely, like, you know, go four seconds without, like, crying. Like, I'm like I I just want him to, like, like enjoy life right now. Don't then the guy said it, he's I'm like, alright, well, yeah, maybe and then said then I start thinking I'm like, oh, Maybe. And I'm like, alright, no, no, no, I'm like, shut up. I'm like, okay.
Jamie: I'm telling you, it makes you question yourself. It's crazy.
Kellen: Like, one of our one of our best friends we went to school with, he's he's coaching a team in in Massachusetts here, and his son's six, and they're they're they have trials. Like, they have to recruit kids for their team. Yeah. And I'm like, are are you recruiting the kids? I'm like he's like, yeah. I gotta, like, get kids to come play here. Like, this is a team and, like, this is the program. And I'm like, why? I'm like, wow. Like, someone hired you, and now you have to do this? And he's like, yeah. Like, this is just the way it goes out here. I'm like I'm like and even, like, coach Rigas' kids, like, his kids are seven. Like, they're know, that's just that's just how it goes. And, like, you just you know? And the crazy part is coaches are calling you. Like, they're calling parents. Oh, yeah. Yeah. Like and it's like, you know, you don't make the team. It's just, you know, to already have that feeling of like, ugh, I didn't make the team kinda thing. Like Mhmm. It's just it's really tough, and it's it's something like like Connor said when we you know, when our kids get older, for some for some two guys that are very naive to the process, now it's like, alright. When this is you know, I have to rethink it and, you know, I'd be thinking about tap of of, like, if he's thinking that way, I'm like, oh, man. Right? Yeah. It's gonna be Yeah.
Jamie: Gonna be weird.
Connor: So you don't wanna ruin their their childhood or careers by not doing something for them. It's like like, I I remember my talking to my mom. She's like, well, if you can afford to do this, would you do it? And and, you know, does that help? Right? Like, you know, it's the same as if you, you know, can send your kid to private school or public school, and you'd be like, is this gonna help his chances or her chances to, you know, have a great future? You know? And my mom was we've we've argued about it because I'm like, well, you know, like, if it's safer and and things, you're like, oh, okay. And it does it help him get into college? Like, you know, like, can you do it? But, like, also be like, would it be harder and there's more adversity in the other one? Like, you're like, how do you decide?
Jamie: It's so hard.
Scott: It's so hard. And it's and it depends. Right? Like, you have to take cues off, like, you know, your kid at the same time. Like, as a parent, you probably have a good, you know, understanding of, is your kid mature enough? You know? We where where where my where does my kid excel? What are his strengths? Are those gonna, like, get him through this, or are, like, his deficiencies or weaknesses gonna, like, totally just ruin this you know, so I I don't know. It's it's it's always like a depends thing. But, like, as as we've talked to more and more people, it just seems so clear that if your kid doesn't love it, when the when it gets hard, it's gonna be harder for them to stick with it.
Jamie: Doug Christiansen.
Scott: If, like yeah. Doug Christiansen, he put it so well. He's like, price of admission is gonna get really high. And if they don't love it, they're not gonna wanna pay. And so, like, with that thinking, it's like, okay, I want my kid to love this. It does my kid thrive when I'm pushing him to do power skating and take him to lessons before school? Like, is he, like, all into that? If yes, then okay, maybe that's a reasonable path. If no, you probably wanna reconsider the way you're handling it because these kids at some point gonna be like, you know what? I'm good. I don't feel like doing this anymore. Yeah. You know? And so if they love it and me look. I know my son loves it. You know, sometimes I wish he was doing more on his own, but he's 11. And, you know, maybe he's just not as mature as his buddy who's, like, 12 and is, like, doing some things, like, in their own time that I wish my son was doing, but maybe he's just not there yet. Right? So I don't know. I I just all of these conversations have helped me just keep some perspective and be like, it's it's really not that important right now. And sometimes it feels that way because you see people around him that are like have either gotten better or been on a better team. But then it's like, well, maybe of course they have because they've spent like maybe three x the hours on the ice than my son has. Right? So it's like, okay. Well, you should be better. I hope you're better. You know what I mean? So I don't know. It's it's it's definitely not not easy.
Jamie: The race to the best 12 year old is definitely a thing.
Scott: It's mean. It's a mean race.
Jamie: Yeah. It's a thing, but it's not a thing. Right? Because you you guys know puberty is the great equalizer. You know? That's right. So Dominic is just finished his first year bantam year, and some kids are enormous.
Scott: Mhmm. Yeah.
Jamie: And and Dominic
Connor: That's true.
Jamie: Good point. Right? Some kids are enormous. And I have to tell you, it's funny. I I was telling somebody the other day. So the discrepancy between kids now is, like, unbelievable. Right? So Dom's like Dom was five five foot going to the season. I think he's five three now, but some kids are, like, six two. Like, you know, two hundred pounds. I mean, it it there are some that are just men amongst boys right now. You know? And it's interesting. It's what I've noticed this year, and I'm curious to hear you boys kind of chime in about this. What I've noticed this year is it doesn't matter how good of a skater you are right now. They just want size. The upper teams, all they're looking for is size at the moment.
Connor: Yeah. I mean, I think there's always for whatever reason, it's always been, like, bigger is better when you're younger. Like, you think of back in the day of the Bantam drafts, like, the first round first few rounds were, like, everyone's over six two because you're like, these guys are really good players, but they're also, like, huge. Right? And there's a you're gonna take chances on guys that that are big. Mhmm. You know? But if you can't like, when going back to recruiting, it's like, if you can't think the game and understand where to be, you know, like, you can see that when a guy's six two, that he's just able to out muscle guys, and he doesn't know where anybody is around him. So I think, like, that's always you talk about the great equalizer. It's like, hey. Well, if you're smaller, you usually understand how to use your body and the places to be because you need to. You know? And that's because
Kellen: you have to. Right.
Connor: Yeah. Because you have to. And Yep. That that's like a, you know, an important part of the game. Like, even now, I'll be watching a kid. I'm like, wow. That kid's been bigger his whole life. I bet she doesn't know that, like, there's guys you know, he doesn't see it because he doesn't he never had to see it.
Jamie: He's never had to.
Connor: You know? So there's there's obviously, you know, pros and cons of both and everything. Like, I like that, you know, d can be big and small, and and but if you're ultimately a hockey player, like, that's the best compliment I've ever gotten. It's like, man, this guy's a fucking hockey player. You know? Like, no matter if you're big or small, I think that's always what you're looking for in in any player. You know?
Kellen: Yeah. Someone someone could take a hit, give a hit. Like, it just is Make
Connor: a play. You know?
Kellen: Keep buying the the size part's tough because, like, you can like Connor said, when you're watching, it's like, this kid's just been bigger than everybody his whole life. And, like, you know, he just he is he an early bloomer? Is he gonna peak? Maybe, like, we've all I mean, you've probably seen kids do it now. We've played with kids when we were in in Bantam and, like, either we're drafted and, like, they didn't even they make it our junior beat. But there was a point where they were way better than us, you know? And, like, are we late boomers? Like, are we just normal? And it's just probably, you know, everybody
Connor: They had puberty at 19. It was tough. It
Jamie: was, like one of those things. That's late. That's late. Yeah. Oh my god.
Connor: Don't think With the quick twitch when you're 19, it's like, holy, finally. I don't think you
Kellen: were great before
Connor: it was But
Kellen: yeah. Like, that too. I mean, like you mentioned, Jamie, like, that's a huge Oh, yeah. Huge separation thing between kids at that time. Like, it's like first year ban them, second year ban. It's like, you get the kid who's five one and the kid who's six one. It's like, you know, and for that what makes it tough is for those kids who are five one that were, you know, really good players, and all of a sudden, they're like, I'm not as fast. I'm not as slow. It's like That's right. You know, hopefully, you can learn, you know, still play and get minutes and then learn, you know, how to use your body. And then, you know, you'll you'll get your growth spurt at some point, and then just those qualities that, like Connor said, you can think and and do where that was something that when we were because we were late later boomers, like, as 15 year olds, 14 year olds playing, like, there are kids way bigger than us.
Jamie: Like, we were one of the
Kellen: smaller kids, and, like, we just, you know, had to learn as fast, had to learn to take a hit, and it's just, like, you know, it's just kinda that adversity of, oh, man. Back to it. We gotta get figure something else. We gotta figure out another way to be successful, and what can we do next kinda thing. It's like but it's not fun at the time when you're getting smoked by a guy. You know? Especially
Jamie: if your kid
Kellen: is good, they're happy about it.
Jamie: And they I gotta tell you, as a parent, it's not easy to deal with. It's not
Kellen: fun to watch either, probably.
Jamie: No, it's not. It's awful to watch as a parent. You know what's going on.
Connor: Oh my god.
Jamie: There's nothing you could do. You just gotta tell your kid, like, Hey, buddy, listen. This is not your time yet. You know? Like, just keep grinding. Just keep
Connor: Stay away from that pink kid. What are you doing? Away. You're gonna get killed. Number seven, stay away from him.
Jamie: I'm telling you, you should see the size difference. It's it's we had our first practice last night. It's wild. I mean, it's and again, all all the elite teams, they're just looking for big kids. Right? At the moment. Right? I'm sure that'll equal out, but at the moment, that's what's that's what's on the docket. You know? So you just gotta keep working and see what happens. Yeah. You know? Good luck. Yeah. Appreciate it.
Scott: Let me ask you guys about just about being brothers and and playing together. Right? Like, there's like, what is it about, if anything, do you think that all the like, all of you have? Like, is there any common denominators there that just, like, having, like, a built in, like, competitor day in and day out? Like, what what is it about this brother dynamic that you see so many, like, sets, I guess, or at least they're being talked about? Maybe it's not that many, but, you know, just curious about that.
Kellen: I think it's, you know, that like we mentioned, the competitive competitiveness side, but, like, I think you set expectations. Know, the expectations you have of each other and, you know, the standards that you hold, it's like you just it's another level. It's another expectation. It's a hey, I don't wanna let this guy down. You know, and when you're playing together, like a Hughes don't get to or, you know, even the Ka'Chuck set in the Olympics or something like that. That that was something when we were playing with each other, like and we were fortunate to do it for a lot was, like, I'm gonna go out there and and make sure yeah, he's my teammate, but he's also my brother, and it's just I'm not gonna let him down. You know, I'm not gonna Right. These expectations, and I think with that comes competitiveness and all the stuff that comes with it, I would say.
Connor: Yeah. It it it's kinda was in I mean, it was in practice, and and, like, it was like, the expectation was, like, you're never missing a pass. You know? You're never given a bad pass, you know? And, like, that and obviously, we did, but, like, that was the the focus we had. It was like, I don't wanna make a bad pass because I know Kellen's gonna yell at me. You know what I mean? In a in a nice not a nice way, but, like, in a way that was like, are you kidding me, man? Like, come on. Like, hey. Like, you don't wanna set me up for this goal? You know? Like Right. So that that was always something that, you know, it just kinda burned into the the rest of the guys on the team too. It's like, hey. Like, wow. These guys are nuts. Like, every pass has
Jamie: to be
Connor: on the tape. Like, so you know? And and there's a way to hold each other accountable that, like, we still finish the practice, and we might be mad at each other, but a second later, we're buddies. You know? And that's, like, what what good teams are able to do is, like, hold each other. Like, I remember talking with Taves about, like, McKinnon, and he has, like, a way of doing that. It's like, hey. This is the standard of our team. It's greatness all the time, you know, and it's it's with everything we do as far as eating and training and stuff, and it's like, you know, obviously, we're not those guys, but, like, that was the level of, you know, focus we had on each other. Like, I was watching every play Kellen was doing in practice, or going right behind him, you know, to to to, you know, make sure that he was doing it. If I saw him do something great, I was the first guy to say, hey, effort in rights, man. So that's, like, the cool thing about brothers is you're so supportive, but so aware of, like, the holding accountable to in a almost a bad way sometimes. You know? Like, I know Kellen used to I'd be like, oh my god. I'm letting countdown. That's a I I my whole goal was, like, I just want Kellen to think I had a good game. Oh, wow.
Jamie: You know? Listen, clearly, worked because you guys
Kellen: were pretty high. Yeah. Con Con, you made it to NHL. I didn't, buddy. So but no. I
Connor: mean, it's pretty
Kellen: it's pretty cool to see, you know, the the pop brothers, like, that are different ages too. Like, not just twins.
Jamie: You know
Kellen: I mean? Like, that are younger, that get to either play with each other that, you know, the Hudson's that have now all been so successful and made the NHL. And it's just like, no. That I feel like that's pretty cool in a sense of like, hey. Now, you know, my brother's here. He's got to this level, and it's just like, well, I'm I and now he talks about it and, like, brings it back to him, and it's, like, these habits, maybe he brings him back to school, and it's, like, all this stuff that goes with it is just it's so cool to see and, like, I don't know. I couldn't imagine if there was, like, another one of us, like, that was younger or older or something like that, like, what they would have to See or hear. Like, you know, like, like, I you know, who who knows if they played hockey or something like that, but, like, know,
Scott: like Yeah.
Kellen: The that the watching and the Hughes brothers, like, I'm sure they'd, you know, get to go out and skate with each other and, like, all that stuff that goes, like, that goes with it. It's so cool. We have a set of brothers on our team right now. They're not twins. One's during another they're Gagneaux brothers, and they're from Langley. And one's a defenseman, one's a forward. And it's so funny. It's just like they they always end up I'm like, I always feel like you pass to him, and he you pass to him. And it's just like you go back and forth. And it's like the same kind of thing. It's like, even in the games, I'm like, are you gonna look off your brother again? Like
Jamie: Oh, he does?
Kellen: Like that. Like yeah. And I'm like he's like, yeah. He can't shoot. He can't shoot.
Jamie: Oh, that's hysterical. It's just
Kellen: so funny, like, to to see it in person too is, like, is also, like, I don't know.
Connor: Awesome awesome to see. It's so fun, like, watching, you know, the I was watching Metson Hat play, like, the Rock, but, like, watching them, and I'm like, man, the creativity that you can have with someone who you you play with for a long time. Like, that's where when you watch The Plants or or even like, you know, the Hughes is like, those guys got to play Shinny for their whole life together. And that's like where when you watch a set of brothers play, you're like, man, no one's plays give and go like that anymore. You know? Like, it's it's all Yeah. Usually, like individual skill development, which is great. But, like, when was the last like, I saw the like, there was a play with the the Rucks did. It was like, give, go, give, go behind And I'm like, oh, yeah. I love that. You know? Like, he's like, there there's just not not as much of that anymore, I think that's like the draw as a coach when I'm watching a play. I'm like, I love the creativity to look, you know, for the extra play, you know, when others are just kinda looking to do it for themselves. You know?
Jamie: Right. Right. So I'm curious. What if you guys had to pick one thing, what would you say is probably the biggest mistake that youth hockey parents are making today? If you had to think of something. And it's tough because you guys have young kids, but I'm curious. But you guys must hear this stuff talking to parents and coaches and scouts
Connor: and It's just like pushing oh, go ahead.
Jamie: No. No. No. Started, Connor.
Kellen: Go ahead.
Connor: No. I think it to to me, it's like pushing, you know, like, the the extra sessions, like, in the summer where it's, like, July 4, and you're like, does this kid actually wanna be here? And it's like, is that you know, I just those are probably the times where I'm like, maybe you don't have to do it, you know, unless your kid is, like, so gung ho. But, like, even then, it's like, man, you spend so much time. I'm sure you guys know like, you guys are always busy traveling, like, for hockey or, like, just take time as a family to be normal. Not normal, but, like, not do hockey and not do sports, to just be like, hey, sit on the beach and read a fucking book. You know? Like, Little Things Like Dies, you know, we were an athletic family, but, like, my mom was like, hey. We read books. Like, we're we're we're so much more than athletes. Yep. You know? And that's, where even now, you're just we I talked earlier. It's like, man, I just want my kids to be good kids that are, you know, intelligent and and love things, you know? And that's like the thing to me. It's like, hey. Like, that should be the focus instead of like, hey. I want my I want Augie to go play in the NHL. I'm like, no. Just want Augie to be a nice kid. Like, you know?
Jamie: Mike Rizzioni said something very similar. It's so funny that you just said that.
Scott: Yeah. Yeah. But, like, the early professionalization of kids is, like, so so crazy, and the early specialization is, like, another layer on top of that. That's just, like, it's like just like kids be kids. Right? And and it's I I I've seen, you know, a little bit of everything, and I've definitely side it it seems very clear to me. And look, you know, I get it. Because I take use of my kids, there's gonna be families out there that, like, have very different experiences with their kids, and they can go gung ho all the time. Like, that's not my kid. Right? And that's fine. You know? And and I'm okay with that. But there was a point, like, early on when I was recruiting for, like, you know, squirt minor. Yeah.
Kellen: She said the six year old.
Scott: The six year what I mean? That that you see families just, like, so over the top. And and I think also for parents, like, it's new and it's shiny and your kids got some talent and you're gonna throw everything you got into it, like, let that play out for a couple years and, like, it takes a toll on the families. Like, forget whether or not the kids, like, you know, it's like you said, a ton of travel. Like, I I think last season, this past one, like, I I changed jobs so, like, I wasn't as flexible with with my availability to take them to practice, but I gotta say, I was more than happy not to have to drive to a rink. When, like, two years ago, like, oh, I was taking them to everything. No no doubt. It's it's a lot. It gets a lot.
Connor: Yeah. I I think the one other thing too is, like, just even being, like, plastic, seeing some of the parents from the camp. I'm like, man, like, I'm always watching, like, someone's actions no matter if it's, like, the way they park the car or something. I'll be like, quit it. Like, I'm just, like, I'm perceptive of what what people are trying because that's, again, how we were raised is, like, in You you recruit on the parking lot. And I'm recruiting in the parking lot.
Kellen: But like Why are you going inside?
Connor: So so much of Well, you're driving a suburban done. No.
Kellen: Mini mini vans only.
Connor: Park, they're done. Mini mini events only. You're just trying to always like, I feel like one thing my mom and dad always says, like, like, you're always gonna be it take your character as far as your family is so much of who you are as a person. So when I think of, like, being in the rink with someone, I'm like, man, that guy can't shut up. And he's he's saying something to everybody, and I'm like, you know, I don't I might not ever know who he is, but, like, man, I hope, you know, he turns out to his or whatever. Like, his kids is you know, turns out to be a nice kid or whatever it is. Like, you because you're just like, hey. Like, the game is the game. You know? Like, you know, you're always gonna get carried away, but I just find, like, those things as you talk about parents, it's like, hey. Like, everybody's trying here. Everybody's paying to do this. Like, is there a reason to to to show up this person or or not act like a respectful human being? You know? And that's that's important in anything you do.
Kellen: Yeah. I think just to touch on that too is, like, you know, when you think about what what parents can can do for their kids at a young age, and that's I think one thing is just, you know, not making excuses for them. You know? Letting them go through some adversity, some tough times, some that kind of thing of, you know, just being like, you know, what you weren't you weren't great tonight, or, you know, you you don't you're not gonna blame the coach. You're not gonna blame the other teammates. It's just like, you know, going through some adversity and going through something tough is, I think, really important and and to not sugarcoat it because it's you can you can do that for a kid and, you know, make things easy for him and smooth it over and, you know, kinda baby him. And I think it's just important to for them to have to go through some some hard stuff and sucks, but it's I think it's gonna make make that kid better in the long run, I think.
Scott: A 100%.
Jamie: So we we've held you guys for quite a while. I I wanna know one more thing from both you boys. I need to hear your best billet story each.
Kellen: We have some great billet stories. Got some great one. Yeah. Let's see. Worst one. Fine, you know what?
Connor: I'm think if I'm thinking of the right one, then yes, but also maybe not.
Kellen: No. It's not like embarrassing. I mean, it's embarrassing because I we used to you know, 19 years old, like, we could cook our own food and whatever. My billet mom was working, and we used I used to do this thing where we had this we're a little bit insane, but we had a strict routine of game day. You know, we'd go and do this similar things. And what the one of the routine was we go downstairs, play, you know, NHL video game on a PlayStation. And before the game started, I'll go put the water boil for for pasta. And so downstairs, I run up there, go play the first period. It takes, like, five minutes.
Jamie: Yep. Yeah.
Kellen: And I usually would go check it after the second period. So I end up doing that and going up there and check, get upstairs, and there's smoke and flames all over.
Connor: My my Brand new house too.
Kellen: Was Brand new house, like, really nice house. My billet dad was a veterinarian. Like, we just moved, and we love living there. Like, we love the family, and the house was beautiful. And I come upstairs, and I'm like, Oh, shit. Oh, shit. And like, they had this Viking oven thing that would like, boil the water in like, eight I don't know. It was really quick. Like, In probably two seconds.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. It was like, oh, wow. We could play
Kellen: NHL, no ice things, whatever. I'd be up there in time, water, pasta, down. Yeah. And thankfully, what happened was there was a little cloth that was, like, right next to it, that, like, a dish cloth that got fired, and then hit the went up the coffee maker, and thankfully, everything was good. Real smoky for a bit, but it's safe to say my my built mom cooked this pregame for the
Jamie: rest of the year. She's like,
Kellen: no, I got it. I'll cook
Jamie: it again. She's like, I'm good. Kellen, you stay downstairs. You go play AHL. I got this.
Scott: Yeah, no worries.
Connor: That was, you know, you didn't have a great You're like, perfect.
Jamie: That's awesome.
Connor: No, I think I probably have two stories. One of the ones was the same house, but, like, Kellen, at times, we would stay at his girlfriend's down the street, and we'd had to go to, like, school sometimes. And so I'd go pick him up. And we we go pick him up, and he comes out of the house, and he's wearing the exact same thing that I'm wearing. And, like, we hadn't talked. And he looks at he looks at me, and I look at him. I'm like, guess we're not going to school today. And, like, it was just a funny moment as far as, like, being twins and just being like, okay. And then my other one is my mom came to visit when we were talking about routines and stuff, and we, like, just didn't give them a lot of time cause we were so set of our we're like, we have to do this routine. And my mom was like, we played terrible on this Friday. They just came to come visit us for the first And I'm like, oh, man. So they it was not a nice conversation with them. And the next day, my mom I think they went home, Kell. Right? They were like, fuck it.
Kellen: We're going home. I have that. Have that. Have have
Connor: that email. So another email of of us being we're 17. We're being turds. And the next like, played a tad a bad weekend, and then the next time my mom was I think we called her. She called us and was like, hey. Like, come down, we'll go shopping, and, like, we don't even care about our routines. And we just had, like, a great game, and it was like after that, we became less morons as far as, you know, our time and stuff, but also realized, hey. Like, my mom's coming to visit. Like, you know, we're gonna spend time with her. You know? And and that was
Kellen: Still bigger than hockey. Yeah.
Connor: Yeah. And I just remember playing terribly and just being like, oh my god. We're gonna take it now, you know, and but it's yeah. Some good memories. We were fortunate to have great Billets in Vernon and and and just, you know, unreal people that that really cared about us. And I think big parts of, you know, moving away is is having people like that that that treat you with respect. And, you know, we're still we're still close with them today, you know, these days.
Scott: That's great.
Connor: That's awesome. But good great great people. So
Scott: That's awesome. Awesome. Alright, guys. Well, listen. Thank you so much for joining us tonight. This was an unreal conversation.
Jamie: We'll have we'll have to do it again. Hope you guys enjoyed it. We did.
Connor: Yeah. I mean, hear about the edits when you have to figure it finish and you're like, man, I can't use anything what Connor said. He's
Jamie: been there, done it, seen it, you know Yeah. Listening to your paths. It's it's it's it's awesome because everybody has a different path. Right? So no no two paths are alike, although your two paths are very similar. Yeah. That's true.
Kellen: It's it's so hard now, though. Like, know, Connor and I were talking about this Saturday. It's like, do you think, like, the you know, if we were in our same town doing what we did, but whatever, now live in this day and age, like, will we still end up in the same place? And we're like, you know, it's hard to think about now because back you know what I mean? Like, back then, it was like, but now maybe like, hey, man. Maybe you could be on Twitter or Instagram. You know what mean? Or something like that.
Jamie: True, by the way.
Kellen: Who knows? So it's like Yeah. We we just were talking about it the other day, it's like, yeah, everything that seems to happen, like, you know, as long as you can control your work, I guess, and your work ethic and whatnot, like Yeah. Hopefully, you know, the cards can kind of fall fall and, like, it's just it's hard to think about now because kids talk about, you know, academies and all this prep school and, like, where we're go play. Like, we never had to worry about that. Like, we had a couple kids that go play, but, like, it wasn't really the focus. You know what mean? It was, like, just an easy easier landscape of, like, moving up. You know what I mean? It was, here, and if you're not good enough, you know, here, and if you can kinda, like, might plateau, but you can kinda keep moving up. And now it's, like, you can go here, here, here, and it's, like, all over the map. Right? So just yeah. I think it's important now to just be, like, educated on that stuff too. You know? Yeah.
Jamie: Yeah. You know, it it's funny you said that. I'm gonna I'm gonna leave you have one more question because I'm so curious. Kellen, you just triggered something in my brain. If there's one trait that you guys think is missing from when you guys were younger compared to today's players, what do you if there's any, do you think there's a trait missing? I have something in my head. I'm just curious if I'm on the same page.
Connor: Kyle, you wanna say it on three? Think we can get it?
Jamie: Oh. You
Kellen: wanna go? That's a gallon.
Jamie: That was a tremendous
Connor: Mind meld?
Kellen: Mind meld?
Connor: Yeah. One, two, three. Determination. Motor.
Kellen: Same thing.
Jamie: Same thing. Motor.
Kellen: But, yeah, you're I yeah. I mean, we talked about it earlier. Like, I just think, like, you get some kids who can rip the puck and stick handle in a phone booth and stuff, but, like, I I was watching a kid on Calgary who's playing. He's a smaller kid, and he had, like, the skills and stuff too, but I was like I I remember getting in touch with him. I just like, don't even know if you're gonna come to Holy Cross, but I'm like, I just wanna let you know, like, I love watching you play. Like, your your determination to to get a puck, a loose puck, win a battle versus a a defenseman that's six four Mhmm. Is something that that I think is missing. Because I and I was talking with Bill about this about I'm like, I just feel he's like, do think leagues are different? I go, I just feel like the players are just you know, they're they're okay. They're okay with, like, losing it, getting back. You know what mean? They didn't get their shot. You know? They're gonna come back. They'll get another one, hopefully, kinda thing. It's just like I I just feel like maybe that's, like, missing, I think, a little bit, and it it it stands out to me more. Now, I don't know if that's just the case or that's what I'm looking for, but, yeah, that's kinda what I don't know.
Jamie: Yeah. I heard I
Kellen: was win.
Jamie: So I was thinking grit. Like, do you guys think that that players are as gritty as they are now as they were when you guys were playing when you were younger?
Connor: I mean, the game has changed so much. It's really hard to like, there's just not as not as many fighters, but I think there's still gritty players. Maybe different ways.
Jamie: Like Right.
Connor: Not as dirty and stuff. Like but, like, that's it's just, like, a little bit out of the game. Right? Like, can you you respect like, I always notice a guy who finishes every check or hits to put the guy through the boards because I'm like, oh, that's that's just rare. You know? So I think the grit goes back to, like, the the Talatox, and and Scott was talking about, you know, the the going through hard things and, like, going through adversity. It's like that teaches grit. Like, when things are hard, like, that's where, you know, like, you talk about the determination and, like, ah, I'm just gonna get another chance. You know? Like, this will all be alright. Where Yeah. You're not gonna work for the extra chance or work to get the puck back as much as you know? And and if you have 10 guys out there doing that, then everybody kinda looks the same. You're like Right. You know? So I I think that and then, you know, the the other thing he's talking about the brother stuff is, like, you miss a give and go creativity. Again, I think that's, like, the cool thing when you you think about the brothers playing together. Like, wow. There's not a lot of guys that love going, you know, K Jones from C Jones or C Jones to K Jones to Pekka. Like, it was like, hey. We wanna get three guys involved in the play all the time. Yeah. You know? And it was, like, I I just find as a line, like, that's something where guys are think you're watching, like, they'd rather just be like, I scored a highlight real goal, where I was like, I just want my linemates to have points and win the game.
Jamie: Right.
Connor: You know?
Jamie: Right. Love it. Alright, gentlemen.
Kellen: Well, thank
Scott: you again.
Connor: Guys, lots to unpack here. Was awesome. Lot to unpack here.
Jamie: No. No. You could be was great. Thank you very much. We're gonna have to do it again if you guys are up for it. This was awesome. You know what?
Connor: We'll we'll we if we could get Rand, Billy, Saizy, and and maybe Cash out with us Let's
Jamie: do it.
Connor: Would be would be pretty funny because I know they'd all just start ripping us. I love it. He me shit about the way I was sitting in the interview. I'm like, my legs are pretty big. I had to sit cross legged. Like,
Jamie: like, Danny and Star
Connor: were sitting cross legged too. I felt good about it.
Kellen: Yeah. When
Jamie: in Rome, right? I mean, everybody's doing it. That's great. I love it. Oh, that well, we we might we might have to do that, by the way. Were you
Scott: we definitely might take you
Jamie: up on that. Yeah. Yeah. Thank
Kellen: you, boys.
Jamie: This was awesome.
Kellen: Thank you. Yes for having us.
Connor: Oh, yeah. Appreciate it. Big time. Thank you.
Jamie: It was our pleasure, and we'll see you boys soon. Thanks, boys. See you. See you. Yep. Later. Alright, boys. We are back from our awesome interview with the Jones brothers, Connor and Kellen.
Scott: Yeah. Really great to know them. Get to know them more. Fun, man. Just like, It's lot of fun. How about the billet Oh my god.
Jamie: We almost burned his billet's house down.
Scott: Can you imagine?
Jamie: Yes. That would be like I can because RJ, our other one of our other guys who had a billet story, he was talking about, you know, like the dish the the was it dish dishwasher or the or the washing machine? No washing machine. Washing machine exploded. So
Scott: well, it didn't explode,
Jamie: but you know, it's everywhere. Right. Like overflowed, and and then we've had some crazy billet stories. So, yeah, I can imagine him almost burning his
Scott: You know what I like about, like, their their family unit was, like, there was never pressure to play necessarily to play the game, but there was pressure to compete, to, like, always do your best. And Yes. Why why you laughing?
Jamie: No. Because the story about the when the when the when the mother pulled over, when when when when, because Kellen leans over to Connor in the car and is like, yo, ask mom how we played. Connor's like, hey, ma. So, how do we play? She fucking car gets pulled over to the side of the road and she lays into them. I mean, that's an awesome story. Yeah. Just competing all the time.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: Super competitive, which listen, and yeah, I know they said they weren't big when they were, you know, playing, but, like, they had a ton of compete, both of them.
Scott: Yeah. They were saying, like, how no matter what it was they were doing around the house, they were always competing against Vacuuming? One Vacuuming, raking.
Jamie: That was their mother, though. I Just putting like the competitive juices, man. I mean, that's cool.
Scott: What did they say? Like, literally like everything there was either a winner or a loser.
Jamie: Listen, Jeff Lavecchio says it all the time, like, you you do a thing and know, the losers doing push ups and he wants them chirping loser while they're doing the push ups.
Scott: Dude, if you don't win, you're the first loser.
Jamie: 100% you are. Yeah. I mean, listen, you you're making winners, period. Period. End of story. Derek Jeter says all the time, like, we're here to win. Like, would you you're like, there's there's a thing there's a thing of Derek Jeter in the car talking to his kids, and he's like, no. No. We need to win. He's like, you he's like, you do anything to win, period. Like, we don't lose. You you play to win.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: Period. Right. And that's how these boys were. And listen, it got them both very far in the game. And they both played at Quinnipiac together. You know, they both went on to have like a a pro career, you know. Mean
Scott: Yeah. And and and they they even said they never really had where they came from any real high end exposure either.
Jamie: I mean, they were from, like, Western Canada. Yeah. You know? Oh, their their dad was like a legend and still is a legend apparently to this day.
Scott: Right. You know? Pretty impressive.
Jamie: But a very cool man.
Scott: And also just, you know, when they called out, like, there's no real cheat sheet to getting recruited. Right? Like, it's there's a there's a lot of being in the right time in the right place too.
Jamie: Yeah. At least
Scott: the right time.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. It was good. Like, the the grit, the motor that I think Kellen mentioned. Well, they both mentioned the motor. I think Kellen calls it a motor. Yeah. Kind
Scott: a Mine meld.
Jamie: Yeah. Mine meld. Yeah. They basically basically the exact same thing. But, listen, moat listen. That that's what they look for when they're looking for guys to come play for them. You know?
Scott: Yeah. Well, high character in kids. 100%. High character.
Jamie: That's
Scott: it. Super important.
Jamie: That's an ongoing theme with a bunch of guys we talked to, like Tapper, like Sean Flanagan,
Scott: like Yep. And like And
Jamie: Alex Marsh, they all say the same things.
Scott: Yeah. Including, like, giving up on a play, giving him a back check. All sense. Red flag.
Jamie: Same thing. Yep. You know, it's all about character because that's not you don't wanna bring a low character kid into your family. No. You know? Because I am yeah. I'm sure it rubs off too.
Scott: No doubt.
Jamie: You know? And that's what and that's that's they were saying. They they crossed they crossed kids off the list because the dads, I think they were saying I I don't remember the story. I I I gotta go back and listen to it again. They were telling me they watch how the dad parks the car or something like that in in the, in the fuck in the in the, in the parking lot. That was nuts. You know? So yeah.
Scott: Oh, wait. What was
Jamie: that one? It was like they watch, like, how the dad acts, like, like, when he's, like, nodding on his kid.
Scott: Right. Right.
Jamie: Right. You know what I mean? Like like, they they they recon this stuff. You know? They they listen. They wanna know. Because listen, if you if you bring a kid into your program and the parent's a problem, like it's gonna rub off on the kid and and it's also gonna make it uncomfortable. Who wants a part time job? Well, that's what I mean. Right? Like, you know, so they're looking for high character kids from high character families. Yep. I get it. You know?
Scott: Yeah, man. Well, in any event, that was that was a great interview. Yeah. That was a twofer.
Jamie: Very cool. Yeah, man. That was we got we got spoiled on that one.
Scott: But, let's let's talk NHL real quick.
Jamie: Yeah, man.
Scott: So Did see
Jamie: the game last night?
Scott: I didn't. I mean You didn't? I did not see the late game
Jamie: last bad football game. Know, score was
Scott: score was at nine six. Sheesh.
Jamie: The frenzy of field goals.
Scott: That was crazy.
Jamie: Dude, did anybody play defense or goaltend last night, by the
Scott: way? I I don't know.
Jamie: I mean, like, did you want I mean, first of all, the the Avalanche looks scary offensively.
Scott: Well, they are scary offensive team.
Jamie: They
Scott: look I mean, like, have I didn't expect them to hang weapon on weapon.
Jamie: I did not expect them to do what they did to Minnesota, especially with Minnesota's defense.
Scott: Yeah. But I was surprised. I was surprised. That's fair. Yeah. Fair. I mean, right. Like, favor. Was very surprised. Yeah. Yeah. Look, they're the Colorado scary. But I was, I did watch and you know what, that's a lie. I didn't even watch that much of it but the Which one? It's too distracted. Montreal, the Montreal game.
Jamie: You did watch it?
Scott: No. I watched parts of it. I wanted to watch the whole thing. Yeah. Then it was just, whatever.
Jamie: I was impressed they pulled it off. Dude, they did not have a lot of shots on goal. Did you see it? Yeah. Dude, they had, like, no shots on goal.
Scott: But they still pulled the w?
Jamie: Yes. They did. But that was
Scott: Look, they still need Suzuki.
Jamie: The go ahead goal was a little fluky.
Scott: Okay.
Jamie: I mean, you'd play that game 10 times.
Scott: Mean, when you you you bank it off of a goalie and goes in?
Jamie: Yeah. I mean, listen. I mean Skill wise, it was great play by the kid.
Scott: I mean, batted it out of the air.
Jamie: 100%. Skill wise, it was tremendous.
Scott: But, like, you you can cut
Jamie: Again, a little fluky though.
Scott: Like Okay.
Jamie: You know? Not like they he didn't beat Vasilesvski straight up.
Scott: Okay.
Jamie: Fair. He was not expecting that. Will again, I give the kid a ton of credit because skill wise
Scott: Going forward.
Jamie: Phenomenal play skill wise. Really nice play skill wise.
Scott: I'm glad to see Montreal go through. They got a lot of
Jamie: I was too, by the way. I wanted Montreal to win. Yeah. But but the Lightning were the better team.
Scott: Unfair, but the better team doesn't always win. We all know that.
Jamie: USA Hockey. Here we go.
Scott: What do you mean?
Jamie: The I mean
Scott: Oh oh, okay. Argue that Oh, the Olympics.
Jamie: Yeah. No doubt.
Scott: No doubt. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.
Jamie: But listen. The punk puck bounces certain ways sometimes. Puck luck. You know? I mean I mean so alright. So so how are you doing on your picks, by the way?
Scott: Okay.
Jamie: We So we both had the avalanche to go through.
Scott: We had the avalanche to go through.
Jamie: Right. I had the hurricane to go through. Did you have the hurricane to go
Scott: I did have I am looking at the why is it why would you put when you type in, like, the n h, the NHL bracket, why would it pull up any other year besides the one that you're currently in? Like, that's
Jamie: like It shouldn't.
Scott: That's ridiculous.
Jamie: Is that an AI mistake?
Scott: I don't know. No. It's not. It's a Google mistake, is
Kellen: Dude, with
Jamie: the ducks going through difference. Ducks going through? Does Connor McDavid get traded?
Scott: Okay. So I I had Philadelphia. He did. No. No. No. I had Pittsburgh going through.
Jamie: I did too.
Scott: Lost that one. I had Ottawa going through. Lost that one.
Jamie: I had I had I had the hurricane go through. So I went through.
Scott: I had Tampa Bay going through. Lost that one. And then I think I said that Buffalo
Jamie: going through. I think I I picked the I I did I pick the Canadians? I thought I picked the Canadians.
Scott: I wanted say Canadians.
Jamie: Yeah. I think Oh,
Scott: no. No. No. No. No. No.
Kellen: I thought I
Scott: had the
Jamie: Canadians going
Scott: I did have the Canadians going through. The one where I wanted to I was gonna say I chose Dallas over Over Minnesota? I had Minnesota. I Minnesota to go through, but I was
Jamie: like Yeah.
Scott: I just don't think they're gonna it. But, yeah.
Jamie: I had the Golden Knights going through.
Scott: Me too.
Jamie: I had
Scott: I had Oil going through.
Jamie: I had the Oilers going through. I did not have the ducks. No. That was a nuts series by the way.
Scott: What do mean nuts?
Jamie: Connor McDavid's also hurt.
Scott: Apparently, he has a fractured ankle.
Jamie: Are you surprised? The guy's a fucking warrior.
Scott: Yeah. No.
Jamie: I The guy's a total stud. And here's my question. What? Does Connor McDavid get traded next year? If you're Connor McDavid, would you want
Scott: Dude, there there's so many questions that need they need to address problems in the off season. And if I I think think they can address all of I I will I I think he will know if he's staying or going.
Jamie: I I I I think Before the season starts. Traded at the at the deadline next year.
Scott: Oh, we're gonna find out.
Jamie: I mean, I I I don't see how he stays. Think about it. I mean, they paid dry settle a ton of money. Yeah. McDavid's gonna command more. He took he took a very club friendly deal for these two years. Right? Yeah. So now he's gonna get paid. I can't imagine he's gonna go back to me and be like, sure. I'll sign an eight year deal at a at a discount. I don't think Connor's gonna
Scott: say no.
Jamie: That's what I mean. You know? So so, I mean, you can't have, like, 30 plus million dollars wrapped up in two players every year. The calf is go I mean know it's gonna go up.
Scott: Oh, it's
Jamie: gonna I know it's gonna go up, which is fine. Yeah. But, like, that's a lot of money and two guys. Yeah. It is. Listen, they're two tremendous hockey players, but, dude, that's a lot of fucking money. You're probably gonna have, like, 35 ish million dollars, maybe higher. Yeah. But would Two players, dude?
Scott: I don't even know what the but they look at Colorado. I mean, don't know how long their players are tied up for, but they got, like, a ton of, I don't I don't
Jamie: know how
Scott: much cap space they have. And I they they have, like, self imposed caps on that team. I think they keep their their books tighter than what the NHL cap is. Fair. But Fair. Listen. Either way, I I mean, Edmonton is not not in a good spot.
Jamie: No. They're not. I don't exactly. That's my point. You know, I think that they are I I think that I I just don't know what happens. You know? I I think that they've made some poor decisions over the last couple years. Listen. I'm looking at the, at the salary cap right now for the Avalanche. It's not terrible. McKinnon's at $12.06. It's not awful. I mean, it's it's really not awful. Makar's a decent number, I'm sure. Dude, Makar dude, Makar needs an extension. Makar's Makar's at $9,000,000 for the next two years. I mean, I'm assuming that's gonna change surely. But I gotta tell you, like, they don't have like a two ex devil goaltenders. It's like unbelievable. The devil just they just can't can't fucking make a goalie and keep them. Listen. It's the salary cap's not bad. Two guys make a lot of money. Right? But I gotta tell you, you know, you look at the you look at the Oilers. Do you hear the Oilers? I mean, dude, look at this. I mean, dry sales at 14,000,000 for the next one, two, three, four, five. You know, I mean, like, you know, longer than that, actually. McDavid's McDavid's at $12.05. I mean, there's no way. No. He's he's gonna he's gonna be I mean, you would think he would command more than Caprissoff. No? Oh, for sure. Caprissoff was what, 17?
Scott: Yeah. He's the highest paid.
Jamie: So so my point is that how how do you do that? How do you have a guy making 14 and a guy making 17? I mean, you don't have any how do you pay anybody else?
Scott: Well, that's that's for people that are above my pay grade. That's for sure. But nonetheless, they're gonna have to figure something out. But and they they need to figure something out in the goaltending department.
Jamie: Dude, Caprice Off's at 9,000,000 this year and then jumps to 17. That's a big number. Alright. So here's my index question. Alright. So we're talking about so The Wild obviously have Quinn Hughes. Quinn Hughes is gonna get a payday, right, when he comes off his contract next year.
Scott: Mhmm.
Jamie: Does Quinn Hughes stay in Minnesota? And again, if that were to happen, as far as defensemen go, he's gonna clearly get more than $9,000,000 a year. And he's gonna be a 12 or 13 guy, I would think. Twelve, thirteen, 14.
Scott: Sure.
Jamie: Him and Makar are gonna command and save save dollars.
Scott: Yep.
Jamie: So again, you have the same problem. You have two guys making huge money. You know, he stays in Minnesota, he's coming to the Devils anyway.
Scott: You think so?
Jamie: I do. I do. I mean, yes. I do. And you think he's gonna turn down an opportunity to play with his brothers? I mean, never get it again.
Scott: I don't know. Yeah. I hear you.
Jamie: Jack and Luke are
Scott: locked It's a it's a compelling I I mean
Jamie: How could it not happen? You know, the devils have shitloads of cap space if they if they dump, you know, somebody like Dougie. I mean, I I can't imagine that they wouldn't have the cap space with the cap rising. Yeah. So I don't know. We'll see. But, but yeah. So alright. So so so listen. I think the NHL playoffs are are as advertised. I think they're insane. You know? I'm sorry there's not three games a night anymore. That's kind of a bummer.
Scott: That's true,
Jamie: but I was not able to
Scott: consume all that either. So
Jamie: The late games are hard. You know? You think the Ducks made it to the Stanley Cup finals?
Scott: Oh, boy. I mean, that series against Vegas will be something.
Jamie: That's gonna be tough.
Scott: Yeah. No. The finals? I think No. They don't make it to the the Western Conference finals, maybe.
Jamie: I think Vegas beats them this round.
Scott: Okay. Fine. But I
Jamie: Just my feel.
Scott: I mean, could you imagine if if so if, Utah had won, then you one of the two are going to the Western Conference?
Jamie: Dude, I feel like your Western Conference finals is going on right now
Scott: well the avalanche wild. But it's not. So But it kinda is. Like,
Jamie: whoever comes out of that is gonna win. How how do you not?
Scott: Well, clearly, don't don't don't you can't say anything
Jamie: until different.
Scott: Well, I look. I think that you it's too early to
Jamie: tell. Right.
Scott: It's too early to tell. We'll see how it goes. And plus, I don't know. Down the east, Carolina mopped the floor with
Jamie: Carolina's gonna kick the
Scott: They're playing right now. Yeah. It's tied.
Jamie: Yeah. Carolina's Carolina's gonna win the series.
Scott: Yeah. Well, yeah, I think they will win the series too. No. Without a doubt, they're gonna win the series. Yeah.
Jamie: Yeah. I I see that they're going into overtime right now. Yeah. Tied to two. So
Scott: Who do like? Buffalo, Montreal?
Jamie: So I want Montreal to win. I do. I I don't mind the state. I like Buffalo City, Buffalo, but I I I want the, I like the young I like the young bucks of the Montreal Canadia.
Scott: Who's got a better chance assuming the Carolina goes through? Who's got a better chance against Carolina?
Jamie: Oh, that's a good question. That's a good question, buddy.
Scott: I have no idea, to be honest with
Jamie: you. Just want Montreal to Like, can give Carolina the best run? Yeah. I I would like Montreal to do it. I don't know if Montreal is gonna be able to give them the best run. But I would like Montreal to do it.
Scott: And then who who is there anyone in the East besides Carolina that's gonna give No. Colorado a run?
Jamie: No. And I don't and I don't and I don't even think Colorado I think Colorado will beat them. I don't wanna say easily because it's Stanley Cup finals, but
Scott: I don't know.
Jamie: I think I think if you I
Scott: think the best finals would be Colorado, Carolina. A 100%.
Jamie: Which was my pick at the beginning.
Scott: Yeah. Well, good on you.
Jamie: Yeah. That that that was that was my Stanley Cup final, which was when we did this, like, couple weeks ago, I I I had Colorado and, Carolina. Because nobody has figured out how to beat Carolina.
Scott: So if Colorado doesn't go through, who do you wanna see in the finals?
Jamie: The Wild.
Scott: Fair.
Jamie: Yeah. I
Scott: would agree with that.
Jamie: And I just because I I I like the used boys, so I I would like to see Quinn do something.
Scott: Dude, Matt Boldy. Dude, Matt Boldy. A total stud. He started the Olympics. I know. He's just
Jamie: he's He's just coming out.
Scott: He's amazing.
Jamie: I mean, everybody knew about him before this, but, like, he's he's been phenomenal. Yeah. I mean, the guy's a tremendous hockey player.
Scott: To be honest, man. Exciting hockey. That's for sure.
Jamie: It's gonna be very interesting to see what happens with the rest of this, this NHL playoffs.
Scott: Yeah. Well It's exciting though. Yeah, man. You know? What do think? Wrap this one up?
Jamie: Absolutely. 65 in the books. Hope you guys enjoyed the Jones boys as much as we did. That was pretty awesome.
Scott: That was
Jamie: Yeah. I would love to have them on again. I know I say that a lot, but there's certain people
Scott: You say that to everyone, I think.
Jamie: Not everyone.
Scott: Not everyone?
Jamie: I would have them back on a harpy.
Scott: Yeah. Were ton
Jamie: of fun. I'd love to have drinks with them.
Scott: Dude, line it up.
Jamie: Seriously. We really should. We just need to get Kellen down from, Massachusetts.
Scott: Yeah. He's the, he's the outlier there.
Jamie: He definitely is.
Scott: Alright. Well, he's
Jamie: coming down to Jersey.
Scott: He must. Yeah. No?
Jamie: I would think he does for especially for family stuff.
Scott: Go go get that on the books.
Jamie: There you go. We'll figure it out.
Scott: Alright, dude.
Jamie: Yes. Alright. Episode. Alright. We'll see you later.
Scott: Later, dude. Later. Peace.