"I think some people can ... deceive themselves into thinking that science will keep them going, but they're usually people who are having a very good life and they're not hitting the big existential problems of existence where science doesn't really help very much." That's John Lennox, one of Christianity's great 'Undeceivers'. He has debated Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens and Peter Singer on the question of 'Can science explain everything'? This episode, he sits down for tea with John Dickson in the gardens of Green Templeton College.
Links related to this episode:
- Find out more about John Lennox.
- Get Lennox's book, Can Science Explain Everything?
- Here's an interesting article from 2018 in Physics Today wrestling with Newton's hypotheses non fingo and why so much of research is driven by hypothesis today.
- Watch John Dickson and Lawrence Krauss on the 2013 episode of ABC's Q&A.
- Watch The God Delusion Debate between John Lennox and Richard Dawkins (filmed Oct 3, 2007) (mentioned in this episode)
- The UK's Premier Christian Radio podcast Unbelievable hosted a live debate between Lennox and fellow Oxford professor Peter Atkins, and well-known atheist, earlier this year on science and faith. Check it out here.
- Find out more about fine tuning with the book our 'phone a friend' guest Luke Barnes co-wrote with Geraint F. Lewis, A Fortunate Universe: Life in a finely tuned cosmos.
- Read the obituary of Antony Flew, who John Dickson mentions in the podcast as accidently coming to a belief in a Creator late in his life.
- Watch John Lennox talking about his memories of listening to C.S. Lewis lecture at Cambridge.
Get to know our guests
What is Undeceptions with John Dickson?
Every week on Undeceptions we’ll explore some aspect of life, faith, history, culture, or ethics that is either much misunderstood or mostly forgotten. With the help of people who know what they’re talking about, we’ll be trying to ‘undeceive ourselves’ and let the truth ‘out’.