Welcome to the Soul Touched by Dogs Podcast, the show for dog lovers who see dogs not as toys or tools, but wise souls worth our respect and care. I'm an Herrmann, and I'm your host. I talk to poor some humans, people who do great work for dogs and their people. So come and join us for today's conversation.
Anke: Hello and welcome, Tim. I'm excited to have you here.
Tim: Yeah, I'm excited to be here. Thanks for letting me share a little bit about us on, um, on your, in front of your audience. I appreciate
Anke: it. Fabulous. Well, okay, let's just start out with the question I always ask first, like where in the lovely world are you and, you know, what's your business? What's your business with
Tim: dogs? Right, so I probably have the most boring answer to the where in the world to a lot of people because we're in Iowa, which I love Iowa, but we are right in the middle of the heartland of the U. S. in Iowa, and most of our team and everything is around core group of the team from our company WinPro is in Iowa as well. Different parts of it. Um, and so to answer your question, like, how did, how did WinPro kind of like get started or? Do you want to just,
Anke: I mean, let's assume people know nothing, you know, so there's Tim, we don't know anything about him. WinPro, so you just thrown it in the air now, you know, let us know what that is. And, um, you know, who it's for and how the hell it came about.
Tim: Yeah, perfect. So. Winpro, interestingly enough, is the only supplement that is in the market available for dogs right now, soon to be cats, that is made with the core science of plasma. And the reason we think that that's amazing is because we've seen the impacts of plasma and all the wonderful things that plasma as like a whole body ingredient really does. has to offer and benefits for animals. Um, and funny enough, how it came about, so we're in Iowa, and I actually married a hog farmer's daughter, so I'm pretty acute to, you know, how this works. Um, but Iowa State University, back in the 80s, they were having a terrible mortality rate when they were weaning piglets. And so this is, I think, like 1983, so 40 years ago. And they tried a lot of different things. They tried environmental factors, nutrition, um, and nothing seemed to work. And so what they ended up, they were working on this spray dried plasma matrix, and they ended up introducing that into the, um, starter diet. And that had a dramatic, um, impact on reducing the mortality rate. And what they found out was the stress of that situation was causing so much inflammation that that was actually the problem. And so that science, um, was remarkable and at the time, right? And so it's, it's really been around in every species. So it started in, um, for pigs and then it was in cattle and then it was in all the, all the livestock and feeding animals, you know, poultry. Goats, lambs, and then it made its way into performance racehorses. And the interesting thing about the performance racehorses is that's where our founder, Bill Bernardo, was introduced to it. He was tasked with, um, developing a supplement line for performance racehorses, and I don't know if you know this Anke, but the performance racehorses are super stressed. Like that's, that's like a, like one of the most stressed animals out there. And so they have this thing that it's called, um, bleed, bleeders, and that's when they just stress too much inflammation, they bleed out their nose. And so they were looking for a product that could, um, you know, just really benefit the performance of the, um, the animal. And so what, um, Bill was tasked at was developing that product. Well, they did that and they had remarkable results, but the problem was, is Bill was really not very comfortable around horses. And yet he had five dogs at home. Crazy dog guy, you know, crazy. And it takes a crazy dog person to start a company like this, right? Um, and so he said, what if the science can translate into canine world? And there was no reason why it shouldn't. It had been through so many other species. So he really just took the leap of faith, took that same science and developed Winfro with the, the core motto is like, plasma is the secret. Let's put that into a product that can really benefit dogs.
Anke: It's fascinating. Um, I mean, one thing I'm curious about, what sort of the range of application, like what, you know, the inflammation, you mentioned that, you know, so in what circumstances would somebody say, well, I need this? And the other thing I'm curious about is like, why isn't everyone using
Tim: that? Right. Well, everyone is. It's just not in dogs. Like they, you know, in every other type of, you know, medical application you think about. Um, did you ever watch a show Mash? Maybe? You know, I do like, yeah, vaguely. Yeah. . I mean, the first thing that they bring a wounded, um, soldier in, the first thing they do is hook 'em up to a bag of plasma. Um, and we've done injections with plasma in the human, you know, in the human medical field. And the reason nobody else is doing it, I don't know. There are a few people that are starting to, it's starting to really pick up traction. We were the first. I think part of that is It's easier to sell a product that you don't have to educate around. You know, you don't have to have real science around. And, you know, plasma could be something that is polarizing to a certain audience. It can also be something that draws them in because they know that, wow, there's real science behind and real value in what the proteins in plasma do. have to offer. So I think it's, I think we were just early on it to be honest with you. And now some pet food companies are doing, adding a small amount. Um, and we're still really the only ones that are doing, um, orally fed plasma in the form of a soft chew. And there's definitely more coming, um, because the science is changing. is starting to prove out and we've been educating the world about it for since 2017. So they're coming, they're coming for sure. But it's really challenging to work with because it's not like any other ingredient. It's a very active ingredient.
Anke: I mean, could this, I mean, is there like a limit? I mean, could this even be produced? Like to say, well, that it's the first thing people go to, you know, say if, if You know, any dog anywhere has like joint problems. If everybody goes, oh my god, I need plasma, like Would we run out of it or like is there a limit to it
Tim: or? That's a really good question. I at this point they're really um, there isn't there isn't a limit but with anything if you you bring enough people into the market it really probably changes the way it's Um, how you, how you get the plasma, you know, I, that, that's a really good question. I'm sure that that would be a challenge at some, at some point. It's like, you know,
Anke: like a little bit like with electric cars, like it's kind of cute when there's a few, but if you imagine every single car on earth would be run electric, like that would be probably a bigger problem than we have now. Right. It's like, that's sort of where my mind went with that.
Tim: Yeah. Um, but it's really like, we're starting to get a lot of. Veterinarians really pushing like, hey, this is an alternative option there to what our current treatment plan is, if it's not working, and we've had a lot of a lot of success being drawn into vet offices. with a product because they really get the science. They just, they just haven't been exposed to the orally fed plasma. It's always been an injection. Um, and we're the first ones to develop that, you know, in a soft tube that we can actually use. Well,
Anke: I mean, it seems to me like the easier way, because then they'll do the educating for you, like they'd be easier to educate because they already understand the science behind
Tim: it. Yeah, they get it quick. And then
Anke: if I go to the, you know, if I go to the vet and the vet goes, look, this is what you've got to do, then this is what we're going to do, right?
Tim: Yeah. You know, it's really interesting. Like we had just a testimony the other day that said, My vet wants to look at your product and this happens quite often. And I said, well, what happened? Well, they were going in there with their dog and the current treatment wasn't working. And they were kind of out of like the standard options. And so they left 60 days later, they returned and the dog, the, the vet was like, what happened? Because the dog jumped up on the table and before it could, you know, like barely kind of walk in the office and they were like, well, we found Wintrow and, um, and, and we hear that often, like very, very often. Um, and so that's what really the vet looks at it and the right vet will be like, I want to have this as an option because it really does benefit the dog.
Anke: So what would be typical, um, you know, symptoms or situations? When you think like, oh, I need this for my dog. Or would you say, would you use a preventative? Like, would it be a good idea to, you know, like how we take supplements? Like you don't need a real serious problem to, you know, to say, well, Hey, let me get someone to really, You know, whatever
Tim: it is, but what's your talk? No, so that's, that's a really good question because we started because it works so well for the right situation that it's a real remedy. So people typically have come to us with problems, right? A problem that maybe they've tried a lot of different things and it didn't work, or maybe they're not quite seeing the results. So our, like, number one product is our allergy product. It really works. Changes, you know, obviously the itching and stuff, but like hot spots and skin issues and irritations. It really does a great job with that. Um, and then hip and joint, that's a very visual product, still remedy for the most part, um, are calming and there's so much separation, anxiety and, um, anxious dog. Now, especially, um, out of the adoption world and the rescue world, it seems like there's a lot of that, um, that's going on. And then we just added in the last, some preventative products. And I'll tell you why it's, it's important to think about preventative, because the way our product works. We're not trying to, um, boost your nutrition in any way. It's has nothing to do with nutrition. Um, all we're doing is plasma is nature's natural enemy to inflammation. And so with all the stressors and everything that are on our dogs nowadays, noise, chemicals from the house, you know, just whatever, you know, people, situations, all of these things. Those stressors cause inflammation somewhere. Now, the question is, your body is, the body can handle, like, we're designed to handle and inflammation is not necessarily a bad thing. The problem is when it becomes excessive because it's unable to resolve itself because of all the certain stressors. And sometimes it could be diet, sometimes it could be chemicals. So, Winpro's promise is really, That we return the dog to normal and the dog then heals itself. Like we're not trying, it's, we just want the dog system to be able to handle the stuff that it's supposed to be able to handle and when they're normal, they're perfect, you know, right? Like no different than us. We have a normal gut. That's a perfect gut. There is no, we don't need to boost anything. We are just returning it to normal so that their, their system can heal itself. And that's what I think is really, really cool about that. Would it be kind of
Anke: far fetched to think that that could also help with like behavior issues because of like, from what I learned from my recent summit is that a lot of it is, you know, like underlying or part of, of what's going on that the dog's not comfortable in pain
Tim: somehow. Oh my gosh. Yeah. So that. So that happens, we, the lightbulb moment I had kind of around this conversation was when a trainer was using our calming product. And I thought, oh, that must be an anxious dog, you know, but they said, no, a dog can't really accept training if they're in any type of pain or discomfort because they're always trying to protect themselves. From being hurt, you know, and I thought, wow, that's really interesting. I never thought of it like that. And then over, you know, over time, you know, realize that. You know, we can say, hey, my, my shoulders hurt a little bit today, so I'm, I'm not going to do this thing. Um, but the, you know, a dog, they speak to us in different ways, obviously, but they're really, if that's happening, they, their behavior changes because they're just protecting themselves. Um, and I've got a really quick story about why I'm here. It kind of goes along this lines a little bit. I, I married, um, into a Chihuahua when I first got married. And I just make a joke of that because I'm more of a big dog guy, but I ended up loving,
Anke: but
Tim: I ended up loving Roxy. She was like the greatest dog ever. Well, at some point she had just stopped jumping on the couch and the bed. And, you know, a little dog like that jumping up on the bed and the couch is like us two storied building type of thing. So it really, you know, worn our joints. And, but I also grew up in a generation where the dog used to be outside, then it got maybe a doghouse outside, then it maybe got let in when it was like 30 degrees below, then, you know, now we're sleeping with them. So I didn't really know anything about supplements or, you know, Anything outside of food, I guess. And so, a friend of mine who's an investor in WinPro here in Iowa said, hey, we're, this is a cool company that's doing this science from out of state. If, um, you know, give Roxy these, you know, hip and joint shoots. And I really just kind of was like, yeah, okay, you know, whatever. But then when I ran out of, I think, her milk bones at the time, I gave her these twos and within 15 days she was jumping all over the house, bed, couch. In fact, we get this a lot too. We returned her to normal for what, for her age, right? It's not like she got a, she wasn't a puppy again, but she got her good legs at the age she was. Um, and sometimes people will email us and be like, Hey, you know what? Great product. I didn't realize how much I liked them a little, like with a little less of themself because I'd gotten used to the, you know, the new situation. Um, but we found out like it was aha, because she could always make that jump. She was just choosing not to, and then eventually new patterns get started. People pick, pick, pick their animals up. They carry, you know, and, um, and I thought, wow, how cool would it be to, to work with a company that had such. a possible transformation for, you know, for an, for a dog. And, and it was like, it was just really, really cool.
Anke: That's wonderful. Yeah. Well, my question is like, so do you ship internationally?
Tim: We're, we're, we're trying to, we're trying to, it's a challenge. It's a challenge. Yeah. I
Anke: mean, I know it's like, it's not easy, but I think it would,
Tim: you know, well, yeah. Yeah, and I think there are a lot of other countries that are a little more open to plasma science than, than maybe even, even the U. S. at this time, but it's, it's coming on, like they get, I think, especially Germany, Germany has like a, um, amazing team. science around some of that stuff that they just kind of get how powerful that can be.
Anke: So we talk allergies, we've got like joint issues. Is there anything else that really stands out where people would usually, um, come to you from? And do you have people who go, well, look, you know, my dog's young, my dog's healthy. I just want to kind of, you know, prevent and make sure they stay as long. I mean, who do people, you know, like for our own health, we don't tend to do it. People always go to the, you know, crash course when, when shit's already hit the farm. So I don't know, but people for the dogs tend to be more, you know, I don't know. What's, what's your experience
Tim: there? Yeah, so it's actually kind of funny people, you know, pet parents tend to worry about their animals and more than they do themselves sometimes, you know, like they'll read every ingredient on a dog product, but then carry a bag of McDonald's with them and care less about what, you know, they're eating sometimes. Um, but we do have like Daisy, my dog, she gets our probiotic Prebiotic plasma powder that we just, it's a topper for the food. And, and she's, and she's like two. And that, that's a really, that feels really good to get those probiotics and prebiotics in there. And then also, you know, the right amount of, in my world, plasma. Um, and then the other thing that we have that's on the preventative side, that is, um, a functional dental stick. And it's really interesting because I didn't really believe that was the product that was going to make sense because there's no scraping there is. It's not, you know, it's not, it's not meant to like scrape anything off teeth. So it just, it kind of just didn't make sense to me. But the science around plasma has proven that, you know, a lot of the dental and oral issues are from bacteria, inflammation, and the gum lining, which creates a lot of problems. Well, when you let the plasma kind of work its way in there for 15 to 20 seconds, it really keeps, like in every other part of the body, the mouth really healthy. Well, when you keep a mouth healthy The teeth are whiter, the breath is fresher. And I I'm still amazed by that, to be honest with you, because it just, it's still, I brush my teeth every day. So just to think you can just put something in your mouth, um, that has such a profound impact is, is pretty cool. And, and that the dental, our dental stick has, has really had that impact. So those are the two that are kind of, um, I'm really excited about. And then we're also getting into the cat world because the science really proves that out. So we're going to start with the meal topper. And then also a dental bite for cats because they have really challenging, um, dental.
Anke: So do dogs
Tim: like it? Yeah. They love it. They got old up? Yeah, they got old up. Most dogs do.
Anke: Fascinating. I think it's totally fascinating. Never, I've never even heard that this is the thing. Like, and I think that's where, where the biggest workers in the sense that education piece, right?
Tim: It is. Yeah. It is. That's why you and I are talking. I
Anke: was just thinking like, if somebody wants to educate themselves further and say, Oh, that sounds interesting. You know, where can they go find out more? Where can they, can they go and get some?
Tim: Yeah, so the best place, we're really in three main areas. So our website, winpropet. com, W I N P R O P E T dot com, and I'll give you all these links and show notes and stuff. Yeah, of course, there goes show notes. And under here if you, wherever you're watching. Yeah. And, um, we're, I've got a coupon set up for your listeners for, um, 20% off of first purchase, which is Soul 20 SOUL 20. And then you can also buy on Amazon. Chewy over here are the main ones, and I, I, I'll say this too. It's definitely, you know, we have 100 percent money back guarantee, and most people, most people do what they should do, but we also understand that not every dog is going to eat it. We also understand that it may not have a transformative result, you know, for every dog, but when it does, It's amazing. So it's like worth the, it's worth, it's worth trying. Um, and we don't even ask you to ship anything back. So it's literally, if you buy it, give it a shot. And if it doesn't work out, you just email us and that's it. You don't have to have any hassle.
Anke: I mean, the worst thing, the worst thing that can happen is that nothing happens. So it's not that like, Ooh, my dog now has diarrhea. Like, actually, this is funny because, because like my first dog, my, my mom would buy him these dental sticks, you know, from the shop and he'd like, no, like he would, they would not get down and go down well at all. Like he literally like, yeah, no. So, I mean, you know, so if nothing is the worst that can happen, then it's,
Tim: it's definitely a good try. Yeah. So we want to make it as easy as possible to try.
Anke: Awesome. Awesome. So we'll pop the link and the coupon. Thanks so much. And thanks so much for coming and like, you know, like sharing this because I think people need to know about it. And, uh, so we'll, we'll do what we can to spread the word.
Tim: Yeah. Well, I appreciate it very much. The opportunity to share it. So thank you. Thanks so much for listening. If you enjoyed the episode, don't forget to subscribe, and leave a review so other dog lovers can find the show. If you haven't already, head over to soul touched by dogs. com and sign up for weekly doggy cuteness tips, recommendations, and personal stories to warm your dog loving heart. And if you know a pawsome human you think I should interview, I'd love an introduction. Email me at Anke. That's A N k E at Soul touched by dogs.com.