Welcome to the Soul Touched by Dogs Podcast, the show for dog lovers who see dogs not as toys or tools, but wise souls worth our respect and care. I'm an Herrmann, and I'm your host. I talk to poor some humans, people who do great work for dogs and their people. So come and join us for today's conversation.
Anke: hello and welcome Marisa. Like, I'm really, really excited. I always say it, but it's like, it's always true, but like this topic is, uh, really dear to my heart. So I've got, I've had my own not so great experiences. So if somebody like you, so, and I'm gonna stop teasing now at hand handover. Um, Marisa, let people know where in this lovely world, world you are based and what's your business with dog books.
Marisa: Awesome. Thank you Anka. I really appreciate you having me on the podcast. Um, so I have two rescue dogs and we are currently based in Phuket. Uh, I'm Canadian. And um, so this was our second international move. We've been enjoying beach life and we're gonna be having a third one back to Canada in June. Um, my current business, uh, is pause abroad, which is. As a, our starting product, um, at the time of this recording is, um, a digital pet travel, um, pet tra pet travel planner. Uh, because, you know, in doing multiple international moves with my dogs, um, I realize that this industry is so fragmented. There is no up to date information. Um, and so we, our goal is to provide customized information to pet parents, to make pet travel more accessible. And our long-term goal is to really become that go-to place for international pet travel, for people that, you know, love that sense of freedom and lifestyle, but also, you know, not bringing their dogs alongside for those adventures, not an option.
Anke: Oh, that's so needed because it, it literally does feel like. Or you travel somewhere or you stay with the dogs, right. To, yeah. And the thing is, PI think places have become more pet friendly. Mm-hmm. But the travel part is still, so, you know, I mean, we were just chatting before, it's like, I've had several experiences that were, well, let's call them suboptimal. So, so I'm like, oh my God. When I, when I heard that's what, what you are, you are, uh, launching, it's like, oh boy, this is so needed. So what, what's the. Sort of what's the biggest challenge that people face? That, that there is no information, that there's wrong information. That it's like, not doable for the people or the dogs or, or like what's the, the big biggest issue?
Marisa: Yeah, well there's several. I'll give you a little bit of story into how we got started. Um, so I have two rescues that are here with me and I adopted them in Hong Kong and I moved back to Canada in 2018. So this is when I kind of first became aware of this issue. Um, and, you know, one of the biggest challenges in this. Face is like, especially in expat communities, you know, you see a lot of people giving up their dogs. It's really sad because the places are transient because they feel they can't, um, travel with them. And, you know, that long term is one of the problems I really wanna tackle. But in doing this international move back to Canada. I was so fearful. This was my biggest fear about the move, something going wrong with their paperwork or their not being able to come. I hired a pet transportation company at the time, and it was like thousands and thousands of dollars. It was so expensive. Um, this particular company was not great. Like they weren't friendly. They didn't really, you know. Reassure me with the whole process anyways. Like I just was so stressed throughout this whole process and I just didn't really feel like I was understood what was going on or what the requirements were. And anyways, so I moved back to Canada in 2018 and after that this whole thing was like so stressful. I thought at the time, oh my gosh, I can never travel internationally again with my dogs. This was like so stressful. And, uh, one of my dogs, so. I got really involved in the pet space in Canada. So one of my dogs, she was actually a breeder dog at a puppy mill in Hong Kong, and she had several different health problems, um, including the fa fact that she was so overweight, she could barely walk and, uh, multiple vegetables means she needed a $5,000 knee surgery or would never be able to walk long term. And anyways, um, just to give you like a bit of background on me and how. This comes back around to pet travel is, um, I ended up making this mission to really heal her health. Started working with a veterinarian, uh, a holistic veterinarian in Canada who recommended that. Um, I switched my dogs to a Whole Foods diet. And anyways, long story short, I ended up, um, you know, really getting into the Whole Foods space. I'm actually a certified canine nutritionist now. And, um, I, uh, my dog completely healed her health through whole food. She lost half her body weight, never needed knee surgery. And so this was. Um, seven years ago now. Right. And so, you know, still here in, in Thailand and, uh, we won awards of I and based on that, um, sorry I didn't mention. And then after that I saw the big gap on the market. Um, and I ended up founding, uh, my first company, which is called Puppy Gang Fresh Foods. And it was a direct to consumer, human grade dog food company. Um, worked with a holistic veterinarian to develop the recipes and we won awards for the most nutritious pet food in Canada. And, uh, got to the point of, um, I sold the company and was working for the company that acquired us for two years and did a plan to exit out of that. And then at this point, so this was, um. A little over a year ago, and I was kind of thinking of my next move and I realized, so I had been, you know, tied to Canada, uh, because I was growing my business and finally, you know, I had this kind of unprecedented freedom and I was looking at my next move and I was like, I really just miss living abroad. Um. But I kept feeling that my dogs were a barrier to this. But then I decided, you know what? We've done one international move, I can do it again. Um, you know, so that's when I decided to like take the plunge and like, yes, you know what, we're gonna move to Thailand. Like, 'cause I lived in Thailand in 2018, spent a lot of time here over the years and just want, it was really craving that kind of beach life and slower pace and. I, obviously, because of my own business, knew a lot of people in the pet space in Canada, and I reached out to, um, a pet transportation company that I knew to get help with the paperwork. But I had lived in, uh, Asia for eight years before, you know, I, you know, know my way around relatively well, and I did obviously my own research before getting on this call. And she had got me in touch with her Thailand relocation expert, and the woman gave me the wrong information. So, uh, she told me that I couldn't fly into, uh, Phuket. I could only fly in through Bangkok. And the really interesting thing is I've spoken to multiple other people in Phuket who've had the same thing happen and they've had to then drive all the way for, which is a 12 hour drive, by the way, from bang. This misconception. And, um, and the other thing, you know, recom, I was, you know, wanted to use Korean Air, which is a Sky Pets program and they're an excellent airline. She was kind of trying to deter me from using them. And so I didn't, didn't have a good feeling about the call. And then I got the quotation, 'cause this was just the preliminary call, um, for just consulting services. So bear in mind, this doesn't include the vaccinations or the flights or anything. It was 1300 Canadian dollars after I received the wrong information. And I was like, oh my God. And this is when I realized, I'm like, you know what? I'm gonna do this on my own. And then I realized how confusing this industry really is and how. It's people gate keep information. They charge exorbitant amounts of money just for access to information. And that's when, and I happen to have a brother who is a software engineer. That's what does, yeah. And so we've created as our first product, um, a digital travel platform, um, to travel planner where you enter your dog's customized information and they give you customized checklists based on, we've started with 10 different countries to see. Start, um, all of the import export requirements alongside with timelines, calendar integrations, and recommended airlines and flights for the dates that you're going. So this is just our initial product. Uh, we're going to, what we're really excited about, we're launching now the. Early access, but we really wanna build a community of users. So we're getting people in now and we'll be building out features and routes based on what um, users need. But we really wanna be that, like go-to community and see like the
Anke: Airbnb for golf travel, right?
Marisa: Yeah. Like, because there's. So many people that are craving this international lifestyle and you know, like you, you and I connected because my post went viral on LinkedIn. It just shows people are really craving this lifestyle of freedom and remote work, but then feel like having their dogs as a barrier. And I really want to, you know, debunk that whole thing that, you know,
Anke: I just love this so much. I mean, in, in my case, I got the dogs after I'd moved to the nice place, so. It's always a concern. It's always a concern, and there's all these different, and the, the biggest and the nerves that go around it, like that sense of. What if they told me something wrong? What if I get there? And, you know, and the whole travel thing, it's, it's stressful for us and it's stressful for the dog. So I'm always like, what if I now get to the airport and they go, oh, well yeah, well that's, but you'd also need this other thing that nobody told you about. Right? So, to know you, you are well informed and not coming. Like, oh, but this is only valid for 12 hours. You know, like that was something that was told. To me many years ago that, oh, there's a particular certificate from the vet that's only, and so if you, if your flight's delayed, oops. You know, and then the dog's gonna be in a, in a, in a quarantine or something like that. So, I mean, it's, it's so scary. It's stressful. Anyway, so you definitely don't wanna do anything wrong, right. So, and like to have all the information to know that you can. You know, for sure you are prepared and well prepared then, then that just takes all the, all the, you know, all the pain out of it, out of it. So that's incredible.
Marisa: A hundred percent. And the way that we see this is, you know, so we, long term, I think, you know, the, as as we know, like the whole, you know, pet people as a whole are recognizing pets as more part of the family now, and they're really, you know, you're seeing that human humanization of pets now, but. For whatever reason, that's still not reflected in this industry. So we really wanna change that, and I see what we're doing as not, um, you know, necessarily competing with other people in this space. I think this is such a big issue that we're trying to solve. So for us, we're, you know, really trying to build out, um, a community and strategic partnerships around the world to really, um, you know, you know, I think it's, I'm, I'm a big believer in collaboration over competition, and that's. You know, my vision for it long-term is for, you know, us to have this like str these strategic partnerships on the ground in these different countries to help us as well, and us kind of be that like intermediary platform of connecting everyone and everything. Yeah.
Anke: I think, um, like looking at, at uh, sort of initiatives that I've had over the years where I was like, oh my God, like, you know, nobody. Knows. And so the UpToDate information can be quite challenging. Like how do you manage to stay up to date with all of it?
Marisa: Yeah. Well, we're Lever, we're leveraging technology where we're pulling in monthly UpToDate, uh, information. Um, so we are actually, you know. Just the, the way we're leveraging technology is that we're actually, um, we are, we're actually pulling in information from government websites and, uh, on the import export regulation, and we're doing regular, uh, searches on these as opposed to the existing solutions on the market, our static information. So they're just like relying on someone to update. They're not up to date information. And then, you know. You're seeing the younger generation going to something like CHATT PT and entering the answer. But like the worry, something is like CHATT can be so convincing, but they lied to you. So Yeah. It just
Anke: tells you what you
Marisa: wanna hear. Yeah. And this is another reason because it's such a big problem. We're trying to solve why we've decided to start with only 10 countries and just make sure we have all of the up to date information and forms. We also have embeddable, uh, PDFs, so if you, the country has forms that you need to fill out, we also have that all in there in one state. Bought. So yeah, we're really excited. So there's nothing quite like us on the market right now and we're really excited 'cause this is just the beginning.
Anke: Oh my god. Like so, so even like, literally there's a checklist. So say you need this and here's the form for it. Oh my God. Yeah.
Marisa: So if it's some kids, generally, so we don't have the forms for vet, we, part of our rollout plan is to build out a vet portal as well. 'cause vets are actually having the same problem. They rely on Marisa for example, to go in and say, Hey, I'm going to Thailand. What do I need? So that is in our, um, our plan. We are going to, um, like be building in pet passports and a vet portal to help kind of. Track of the vaccinations and paperwork side of things for the vets, as well as one of kind of our initiatives we have planned in the next year. But for now, it's certain countries like Thailand for example, there's a form you need to fill out. So we have that embedded in, uh, directly in there because that was one of the problems I had. I was like, I knew I had to fill out this form and I was like, literally like in forums, like crying like it was. So inaccessible. So yeah, we, and that's where
Anke: you, I mean, like, I'm just looking at this like in Spain, it's like, oh yeah, where the heck did you find the form? Right? And then, then, then quite often you have the language barrier on top of it because it might be just hidden. And I mean like here. Government websites are just like, I don't know. You know what, like user interface design just wasn't invented when they come out with these. And so they have like, it's really hard to, sometimes the stuff is there, but it's like not intuitive. It's not, it's sort of at the bottom. It's some weird link that usually doesn't work. And if it does, you know, like it's like. Even finding the form is, is, is an issue. And then on top of it, if you are in a, in a country where you don't speak the language that well, you can't even read all this stuff because it's that formal kind of language. And I know that in French it's the same. It's like you might be able to speak, but you know, read a government website, that's a whole different language. It's
Marisa: totally different ball game. Yeah. So to
Anke: have the like, okay, you need this form, and here it is, like that alone. Like, like a game changer. And also not missing any steps. Right. Because that's the thing. It's like quite often when there's this different. Organizations and different things involved. Like one doesn't know about the other. They know to do their thing, but they don't like, it's easy for you to kind of skip a step if you don't know about it.
Marisa: Yeah, a hundred percent. And yeah, so that's why our first, so we'll, we will be getting into more, you know, personalized solutions. 'cause we know, you know, people that, as of right now, we just wanted an affordable, accessible solution, uh, for people to, to get started with and be able to travel with their pets.
Anke: So good, so good. Like I'm like, this is, and you know, when one of those, when you see it, it's a little bit like Airbnb. It's like, why didn't nobody think of this before? Right? Yeah. So it's incredible. Yeah. It's So where can people go? Go to sign to sign up to find out more about it? Yeah. And one of the 10 countries like to start with. Oh
Marisa: yes. So the website is pause abroad.co. And also always happy if any of your readers have any direct questions, you can, um, reach out to me at my email, which is Marisa, MAR ia, at pause abroad.co. Um, and the starting 10 countries. Don't worry, we will add Spain and Italy in there as well. Those are in part of the book. As of right now, it's, uh, Canada and the US Costa Rica, Mexico, uk, uh, France and Germany and, uh, Thailand, Singapore and Hong Kong.
Anke: Or Yeah. I mean, that's the thing. There's so many countries, it's like, Jesus, it's, it's, it's gonna be, it's gonna be big, right? Ah, exactly. Yeah. That's, and it makes sense. You know, like I've, a, my background software development is sort of like, okay, let's just start with, you know, and then HOA to, to amplify rather than to create a giant mess from the start. Like, makes all the sense, all the sense to me.
Marisa: And that's what I'm most excited about because I don't see this as like us building, just building for people. We also, you know, and that's why we're getting our early A, we've opened up early access and we're leaving, you know, a lot of, for me, um, my big specialty is, you know, customer retention. I also have a consulting business, so I work with brands on like messaging and positioning and, um. And, uh, and, um, loyalty and retention as well. And so my big thing is really thinking about like, building with the user in mind and building that community and giving people a voice. So we're built in that, um, that user feedback loop. So we'll be building out like features and that's where we're opening up early access. So it's not, you know. A, you know, it's, it's an, you know, it's an ever-growing thing that we're trying to build and we're gonna keep, you know, building in different routes and different features based on that user feedback. So that's also really what I'm excited about. 'cause that really makes people feel like they're part of something too, and it's not just us building for them, you know?
Anke: For sure, for sure. I've, I've joined several. You know, platforms like in those, like wasn't even beta or alpha, it was like, yeah, no. We'll, like the code is still wet, right? So, and it. It does create that community because you'll have questions and they go, oh yeah, well actually how we gonna make this work? So it's, it's, um, it's just that mean, that process needs to be managed well because it gets great, it gets messy quite quickly if everybody, you know, like those different things that users want and uh, you know, but it's like. It's so needed. I'm so, I'm, I mean, I'm so glad I found I stumbled across this post because you, I'm so glad
Marisa: we that as well, you know, because
Anke: it's so, it's such a, it's such a game changer because I live abroad, so I'm like, you know, I've not lived in my home country in like 30 years, so it's like. It's so needed. Right. Because the experience that I've had with like, yeah, I wish something like this existed. So I'm very like, I'm very glad it now does.
Marisa: Me too. I'm so excited. And I'll probably be in Spain in the fall, so we'll have to meet in person if I am Oh
Anke: be, that would be amazing. I, that's always. Yeah. The, the, the, the real fun thing. Awesome. Well, thank you so much. I'm gonna, obviously, we're gonna pop the link right below, so it'll make it really easy. And, um, yeah, I, I can't wait to see where, you know, where this takes you. And, uh, thank you traveling, the traveling dogs.
Marisa: I really appreciate it. And thank you for having me on your podcast. Well, my, my
Anke: pleasure. Thank you so much for coming.
Marisa: And we'll be in touch soon for sure.
Anke: Absolutely. Absolutely.
Marisa: Thank you. Thanks so much for listening. If you enjoyed the episode, don't forget to subscribe, and leave a review so other dog lovers can find the show. If you haven't already, head over to soul touched by dogs. com and sign up for weekly doggy cuteness tips, recommendations, and personal stories to warm your dog loving heart. And if you know a pawsome human you think I should interview, I'd love an introduction. Email me at Anke. That's A N k E at Soul touched by dogs.com.