Disney's new MagicBand+ is now available. What does it do? How do you set it up? Did it miss the mark? Is it worth buying MagicBand+? We take a first look at Disney's newest guest technology with our early thoughts on whether it's a hit or miss.
Is it worth the hype and money?
Maybe, but we think Disney really dropped the ball here. MagicBand+ has questionable value. What Disney really should have done was release a Disney smart watch. We predict that a Disney MagicBand Watch will be the next (and a better) version of this tech -- especially if it works along with Hey Disney.
In the meantime, here are the minor benefits of a Disney MagicBand+
- Unlock the door of your Walt Disney World Resort hotel room
- Enter any of the Disney World theme parks and water parks
- Redeem Disney Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane reservations
- Charge items, including food/beverages and merchandise, to your resort room (only if staying onsite)
- Redeem Disney Dining Plan credits
- Link PhotoPass images to your account
- MagicBand+ costs more than a MagicBand
- MagicBand+ has some limited park interactions
- MagicBand+ has to be charged frequently
- Press the button on the back MagicBand+ to turn it on and tap the band to your phone.
- Open (or set-up) the My Disney Experience app.
- Follow the app instructions to link the MagicBand+ to your Disney account, assign it to a guest and pair it to your mobile device. App will show the band charge level and software status.
- Link your park tickets, reservations and more as required.
- In the MDE app go to MagicBands and More.
- View your managed guests.
- Adjust everyone's MagicBand+ settings and options.
- Find "MagicBands and More" and select “Customize Your MagicBand+”.
- Check that your MagicBand+ is fully charged and the software is up to date.
- Pick a custom light up theme.
- Change the vibration and motion recognition settings to what you want.
Here's a fun fact, number 623 on the trolley stands for June 1923 when Walt first came to California. Number 717 stands for July 17, which was the opening day of Disneyland.
Thank You for Listening to the Disney Travel Podcast
Thank you very much for listening to this episode, Amelia and I hope that you enjoyed it. If you did, we would be very grateful if you could rate, review and subscribe to the show on Apple Podcasts/iTunes (or on whichever app you choose to listen). A brief review about what you liked most about an episode truly helps to keep the show going by exposing it to new listeners. We look forward to continue producing new episodes each week.
Sharing the podcast with your friends and on social media is also extremely helpful and very much appreciated.
Shop 1923 Main Street
Feel free to visit our 1923 Main Street® Disney merchandise shop where we have hundreds of unique and original Disney-inspired t-shirts, leggings, clothing, mugs, phone cases and much more. You'll find everything from 1923 Main Street logo merchandise to custom created authentic Disney-inspired originals, including lots of great patterns for leggings and other items.
Contact 1923 Main Street
Thank you for listening to the Disney Travel News Podcast at 1923MainStreet.com. As always, we love to get feedback and questions from our listeners and to hear your suggestions and ideas for future episodes.
Please be sure to follow along on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.
Thank you for listening and have a magical day!
Mike Belobradic and Amelia Belobradic
Media provided by Jamendo
What is 1923 Main Street: The Disney Travel Podcast?
1923 Main Street® is a Disney travel podcast hosted by the father daughter team of Mike Belobradic and Amelia Belobradic. This is your source for the latest Disney travel news and what it all means for you.
Join Mike and Amelia for fun-filled informative discussions as they share the latest Disney travel news every week. Get the latest news for travel to Disney destinations, including Walt Disney World Resort, Disneyland Resort, Disney Vacation Club properties (including Disney Aulani in Hawaii and Disney's Vero Beach Resort in Florida), Disneyland Paris and more.
In each episode, Mike and Amelia discuss the very latest Disney travel news from resort hotels, to Disney dining, VIP experiences, special events, theme parks and more. Mike has over 50 years of Disney travel experience, while Amelia brings a younger perspective to the table with 11+ years of Disney travel at the age of 13.
1923 Main Street: The Disney Travel Podcast was nominated for Best Podcast Awards in the 2021 People's Choice Podcast Awards and the 2021 Canadian Podcast Awards.