In this episode, Darren & Paige discuss how to resolve conflict in marriage. Sometimes things work, and sometimes they don't. Not every resolution results in a WIN-WIN solution, sometimes it is just good enough to push the answer until later. Find out how we navigate this part of our marriage.
- Express Views - These are not concerns, just views. What is your position
- Explore concerns - Why do you have the idea you do? And what is behind it?
- Select Mutually Satisfying Solutions
- Win-Win -
- Win-Lose -
- Lose-Lose - No one is satisfied
- putting on the shelf for another time. Agree to set it aside.
- Decide on a time and place to talk
- Stay on topic - don't bring up other things.
- Seek to understand instead of arguing - What I hear you saying? Paige gets quiet.
- Let your spouse talk - Paige lets me talk.
- Speak softly - Ha Ha
- Take a break, if necessary - Paige typically calls for the break. While I clean the closest.
- Be kind -
- Use appropriate language - no name-calling
- Discuss current issues - No past issues.
- Do not use violence -
- Do not threaten divorce or separation -
- Seek spiritual help
- Rest and try again
- Find measurable solutions - No general statements, must be observable
- Plan the implementation of the solution
- Agree on Reminders - Nagging or a reminder
- Reevaluate and revise -
What is Where's the Lemonade??
They say when life gives you lemons you should make lemonade. Making lemonade is not always easy or possible. For us, we found ourselves single in our 40's with kids at home and starting life over again. Luckily we found each other, online no doubt. When we began blending families, schedules, traditions, and laundry, we discovered lots of lemons. Our podcast is a reflection on how we get through the hard times and enjoy the good times on our new journey together, all with ten kids in tow. Sometimes when life gives you lemons, you make lemon squares. Lemonade might come later.