Gav: The podcast on Haunted Hill will contain spoilers and swearing.
Speaker 2: I am the devil and I am here to do the devil's work. I sell this vicon Be one of us.
Speaker 4: I didn't tell you my name, hang up. I didn't tell you my name, I'm all part of it. They're all part of it. Come, it is time to keep your appointment.
Gav: Hello and welcome to the podcast on Happy Birthday, Haunted Hill, episode 147. 148. My name is Gav, I'm Dan and you said to you before we started that number. You're like, yeah, and I go and say a wrong number.
Dan: Doesn't matter, we've done so many. Yes, birthday Indeed. His birthday is here.
Gav: It's my birthday and I shall cry if I want to. 50 Cent didn't sing that, did he?
Dan: No, he didn't. He said it's your birthday, go, gavin, we've gone. Party like you are Gavin, or something like that, or like you are having a good time, yeah.
Gav: Everybody have a good time.
Dan: Well, we sound like we're having a good time. It's your birthday, gav. Very, very happy birthday. Many happy returns. We're obviously a little later than your actual birthday. This is your birthday episode, so I guess you can wear the patron crown. You can wear the birthday crown Birthday crown makes sense. The birthday pants, whatever you want to wear.
Gav: I'm wearing my birthday pants all the year round. Does that mean Commando? No, your birthday suit is Well, if you wear birthday pants, then you're pretty much Commando as well. Anything you say birthday to with clothing means nothing.
Dan: So I could say my birthday elephant costume. It'd be weird if you were born with clothes on, wouldn't it?
Gav: Is that your trunk? No, it's my penis.
Dan: Trunk Alright, mate Jesus.
Gav: Hope everybody in the world is happy, safe and enjoying their little life on the planet.
Dan: As we trickle into 2024. A little bit more Reasing into our just finishing up the first month, hasn't there?
Gav: anything like major celebrity deaths or anything going on. It's been. I remember that year with all of a sudden it was like David Bowie dies, like oh my god what, and then it just it rolled from there Prince dies, oh my god, okay.
Dan: That was a big year for a celebrity death, wasn't it? It was a weird one, but now, nothing major as yet, touch word that things stay safe and normal and quiet. So, yeah, birthday, birthday, birthday. And as always for anyone who's never heard one of our birth episodes, the birthday boy, in this case Gav, has gotten to. Yeah, boy. The birthday boy gets to pick the, the movies which. You will know what they are because you clicked on it.
Gav: The thing you saw it.
Dan: But Gav, just for clarity.
Gav: Just so they know.
Dan: What have you chosen for us to review and listen to talk about?
Gav: I've chosen a movie called Sorcerer which I feel like people could be like the fuck is it? What is it? A fantasy movie on those sort of sword and sorcerer movies of the early 80s? No, it's not. You'll find out it basically very quickly if you haven't seen it. I hope you have seen it, but then again it's it's it's a spoiler type movie, so actually it doesn't matter. You can listen to our view and go.
Dan: That sounds good and I guess the ending is and who survives and who doesn't.
Gav: But it's not too bad, it's the whole adventure itself. Anyway, it's to throw it in there in a quick line. Some guys who are, they've just basically got to take some dynamite through a jungle and two lorries, that's kind of it. That sounds really weird and odd premise for a film, and it's actually a remake, which I discovered brand new, did the review and I think it's also watched that remake supposed to be very good also French, I think and that's the movie, then the other movie I've picked for that, and that's a quite. It's going to be a deeper conversation, isn't it?
Dan: Well, you should say also, it's a William Friedkin movie as well.
Gav: After Exorcist, it's the movie that he feels is his best movie that he's known.
Dan: Yes, very proud of it, I'm sorry. Yeah, so I cut you off. So the other movie you've chosen is a more recent one, isn't it?
Gav: Yeah, exactly because that was that the other movies like early 70s and it's quite a good be a more serious conversation. It's not gonna be many jokes and I'm sure there will be some random tangents, but the other one I've thought to make it to tip up, tip the scales, get nice and balanced a little bit more. Gonna go for a very new movie from last year. I pretty much went to a cinema watch, actually Studio 666, which is a random fucking movie of a band called the Foo Fighters.
Dan: Just decide who you may have heard of.
Gav: I know all about how I got going as well, so we can get into that, because I read some interviews on Rolling Stone with David Grohl.
Dan: Yes, so Studio 666, 2022 and the Sorcerer of 1977.
Gav: They're both different and they both start with the letter S. Sexy. Sorcerer at Sexy Studio 666.
Dan: So that's what we're covering to gap. Happy birthday, thank you. It's your edging closer to the big big five, oh no.
Gav: Fuck me, that's the weirdest thing ever, because when I had front the other before it was my birthday one week, I was driving down around and I was like how old am I gonna be? And I had to go back to back to year I was born and work forward and go how old am I gonna be? Because I get to that point I'm like I don't remember really what age, because it's weird.
Dan: But you don't really feel any difference. So some, there are some years where I can't, I just forget it's weird.
Gav: I had an issue Did you forget. I've done it before and actually said someone who'd given them like two years before birthday.
Dan: I think it's when you're an odd year, like I'm 45 currently, but I'll be 46 in a few months.
Gav: Yeah, I'm 47.
Dan: So 45 is easy to remember because it's like an even well, not an even number, but it's a solid number. Do you know what I mean? But it's 47 or 48 or 32 or something is. It's hard to you kind of forget Men numbers not very good.
Gav: I watched this thing the other day but this dude was just stopping people in the street families with a microphone and just asking questions and he's throwing a data curveball. It was brilliant what's the date of birth for your child there? And they'd be like, uh, and one of them is like how old's your kid there? And he's like I don't know she's like really don't know how old I am, you know, it's just like we're men.
Dan: I do panic when I have the phone, the doctor surgery about my children, and then I'm what's the date of birth?
Gav: and I'm like I've got more on my phone. I've got all the dates of birth on my phone because I had to, just to make sure, because I was thrown out of times. Worst one is when you tap at school and they're like, oh, they didn't take the lunchbox. I'm just bringing up here's the lunchbox and really reception. And they're like, okay, what class saying? And you're like I don't know, uh, dole, maybe it's dolphins, I don't know, I'm not sure.
Dan: I thought you were going to say dole flounder, and then no, I don't think they had.
Gav: Like the class is set into Silverster Stallone. Jean-claude Van Damme, you're in dole, flunger and class and you're in there.
Dan: I was thinking. I was thinking more along the lines of kindergarten cop two with dole flungering where he's um. I don't know if you've seen that.
Gav: I have not seen that. I didn't. I don't know if I knew that existed.
Dan: It does exist, my friend, and um dole flungering.
Gav: Why is he there though?
Dan: He, because this time around he is an undercover cop. So it's the same story, just with dole flungering.
Gav: Well, I'm going to use that as a really good segue to something I've been watching and I've literally got 20 minutes left of the season to finish and I was a bit like, oh no, I've got podcasts. I love podcasting, but I was just at the last and it's the king of Tulsa with Silverster Stallone. Have you heard of this? I've heard of it, it's fucking great.
Dan: I didn't know he was in it.
Gav: It's so good. It's about him. Uh, he comes out of prison after 25 years.
Dan: Oh, yes, yes, yes.
Gav: He's kept quiet. Goes back to the people. The guy who is involved is on his death bed and his son's kind of taking charge of people and they're like, uh, you know, uh, you can have Tulsa. He's like fucks in Tulsa, you can have that. And he's like I kept quiet for 25 years. Just go to Tulsa and make it your own. He goes down there and just starts getting into the the town, doesn't it? It's really pretty good. It's kind of breaking bad-ish kind of feel to it. I love.
Dan: Silverster Stallone Breaking bad too.
Gav: There's one bit that's really funny, like he uh picks up a lady and he sleeps early enough and they're just hanging out in the bed and she's like how old are you? And she's like, oh well, I was in junior high when, uh, jeff Cary got shot. And she's like what the fuck? He's like I'm 75, she's like 75, I thought you're like maybe early 50s, what the fuck is. She stands up to get so close and walks out.
Dan: Oh god.
Gav: So it's kind of playing down the whole. Like you know he's getting on a bit, but he's still like he's good for 75, like my dad's late 80s.
Dan: I don't think he's old, is he?
Gav: No, my dad's not mid 80s, no, uh.
Dan: Dolph Lundgren.
Gav: I thought Sligh was probably 75, I think I would say he is 75.
Dan: Sorry, you're talking about Sligh. We were talking about Dolph Lundgren.
Gav: I'm talking about Sligh's style is the Lone I said it's a good segue till Silverster Stallone.
Dan: No, no, that's fine. Sorry, I was confused. No, it's the Lone 75.
Gav: No, no, dolph Lundgren 166. No, fair. No, I think it's Dolph Lundgren, probably not there.
Dan: So Lone is actually 77, though you know.
Gav: Oh well, he probably was 75 when they filmed the show, but he's great in it. Like he doesn't look come across as 75, like my dad's doing pretty good and he's in his like he's probably about 10 years old at Silverster Stallone. But like Silverster Stallone is fucking the brick shit out, I wouldn't fucking get rid of his fists.
Dan: I always say this to my dad because my dad moans about getting old. My dad's 69 this year and I always say to him that's not old.
Gav: I don't know what he's talking about.
Dan: Well, whenever a Jackie Chan film comes out, he's one year older than my dad and I always send him the trailer and go look dad, look what he's up to, and he's one year older than you, so come on.
Gav: Yeah, stop moaning.
Dan: He's flipping over cars and beating people up.
Gav: This is yoga, dad, you'll be alright.
Dan: He goes for a walk every day.
Gav: Have you been watching anything?
Dan: Well, there's two things I've been watching. One thing I've watched and another thing I'm in the middle of watching. I'm in the middle of still. I think I mentioned this on the last episode. Our buddy, rj, inspired me to go back and watch the Creep show series on Prime, so I'm still watching those. The beauty of them is there's 40 minutes each and each one has got two stories. So I usually watch like a one story before I go to bed. So I'm doing like a 20 minutes here and a 20 minute there. So it's taken me a long time to get through them because there's about 10 episodes per season and there's four seasons now. But I'm really enjoying them and this time around I'm noticing a lot more Easter eggs. Obviously they've got lots of people in them from horror, but even stuff, like a guy put something in the fridge and there was a pot of the stuff in the fridge, or someone's drinking a whiskey called RJ McCready's whiskey and all these kind of things. So I'm really enjoying them and actually they're very well produced and they really make me feel like Halloween when I watch them, even though it's like January. So I'm watching that. But the thing I did watch and I was very excited and this isn't horror Well, it might be in some ways is the new He-Man series which came out. The new because Kevin Smith, two years ago Kevin Smith wrote and produced or co-wrote and produced a new He-Man series for Netflix called He-Man Masters of the Universe Revelations, which kind of takes place 45 years after the cartoon in the 80s. Obviously it's updated to be a bit more modern. It's a little bit anime. There's a lot of beheadings. It's probably not for children, I would say.
Gav: And oh, a larger like it.
Dan: It's got. It's really good. But the new one came out which is called Masters of the Universe, revolution, which follows on from that, and that was even better. And they've put in so many easter eggs. You know from all the comics that even the movie Gwildor from the movie was in it.
Gav: It's just really good fun and I'm going to watch that movie again.
Dan: Mark Hamel does Skeletor's voice and Captain Kirk is it. Captain Kirk's in it as well. I won't spoil who he plays in it and it's got. It's just got really good voice cast and a lot of fun. And I've binged it all in one night six, five episodes, and it came out and I thought it's quite late. I think I watched it after Sorcerer. I thought it's quite late, but I might. I can't not watch one episode of my new He-Man show and then I ended up staying up to like one in the morning watching them all. But that was great.
Gav: I did start watching. Elijah Briggs attention span weaned so he didn't do that half an hour at a time until he has to have a bit of tablet again. It's like a drug. Anyway, you'll find out when your kids get older. It's fucking annoying. Anyway, we started watching Dungeons and Dragons movie. Not bad.
Dan: I've heard very good things.
Gav: Not bad at all, quite enjoyable actually.
Dan: Yeah, I like the cast and I know it's nothing to do with the cartoon, but yeah, but you still got like the, the, the characters in the cartoon, like so it makes you feel like it.
Gav: No, no, no, like. Well, there's a girl with like a hood, there's like a magician, there's like it's everybody. It's like, oh, as I remember, I don't know, I might be wrong- it's not.
Dan: it's not a program as a kid. They're based on the, the board game characters, not the cartoon characters. I didn't know, I wasn't sure, I don't know, but I've still heard good things about it and I do want to check it out at some point.
Gav: Yeah, it's quite fun, and we haven't finished it yet, though. That's quite good.
Dan: I haven't watched much out, but did you do anything fun for your birthday? Did you get any gifts that you know you're allowed to talk about?
Gav: You mean like sexy gifts or I'm not allowed to talk about those?
Dan: No, you wouldn't talk about those ones, but did you get anything nice? Did you do anything nice?
Gav: It's on a Friday. I was with the kids and no, not really, we were going to go out. Oh, we got food.
Dan: You went for dinner, didn't you?
Gav: We went for some food. I had a steak that was quite nice. I've got to say Went for some meal with those kids, but the kids didn't really hang out much, they just did their own thing as normal. So it's pretty much. You know, that's the food of them and that's it, it's alright. Bits and bobs. Sarah gave me some little bits of bobs, got another present coming from her which got lost in the post. I'm going to get that soon, which is quite good. She did give me the third series of Bottom which I didn't have on DVD.
Dan: Nice. For anyone that doesn't know, that's a British very early 90s TV show.
Gav: Great show. Rick Mail Watch it a lot with Sarah actually, and I was like I don't have series three and I like to occasionally put on some of the old school BBC comic episodes, so I like to have them on DVD at hand. The only folks on all cities one foot in the grave, etc.
Dan: I have not watched Bottom for many, many years.
Gav: It's very funny, very, very, very funny. Can you imagine?
Dan: how the store holds up. Well, because it's so ridiculous. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's good.
Gav: Yeah, nothing much, really. Well, you, I'm getting older now and I don't really get you know.
Dan: You have one announcement to make.
Gav: Yeah, which is my favorite episode. Everybody else yeah?
Dan: So go on then. Hey everybody with it. It's fantastic, exciting news.
Gav: I am going to be the first man to have a baby. It's been a. That's not a news. That's not news.
Dan: Imagine that Junior 2 star Emi and you I'm Danny DeVito Do we want a?
Gav: little deformed Gavi running around. I'm sure it's been deformed. Why would it be deformed? Because I'm a bloke having a baby. It's a bit weird. It's got to be something wrong with it. Like you know it'd be like that creature that lives in the fun house. You know that maybe the fun house I love the time he was at Toby Hooper's Fun House. I love that movie. That's good. Yeah, deadbolt films along with Deadbolt comics. We've actually tried to make sort of an umbrella company. We've made them Deadbolt media limited. It's legitimately a proper business now, a proper company, and we have to pay taxes and we have a bank account. We all have a debit card and you know and I have shares in the company. So weirdly, I thought over the years formed a legit company. Very strange.
Dan: That's weird, isn't it? It's taken just over a decade, but here we are.
Gav: But that's because I wasn't ever going to do any business stuff Because a lot of it was sort of me going along. I'm Deadbolt films, deadbolt films, and I'm not doing nothing business. I'll show you stuff put in front of your eyes and you can hear stuff. But so then other people have come on board slowly over the years and then got business. People come on board and yeah, I own one quarter of shares of Deadbolt films along with other people. So because it's a legit thing, now it's cool. Yeah, we're saying that we do need a premises. So that would be really good. But we need to be having a fluid income to be able to rent out something like that. So I don't know, but we do need space, renting out space, we can only use Ben's Tau U Jujou for so much. If it's Dodge Challenger wanting the fucking garage getting sorted, it'd be alright. We could put store stuff in there. But yeah, we need a place. We need a place where we can film. We'll have cameras set up and shit. It's just. You know it's hard, yeah.
Dan: And one last thing, then, to mention is, as we went to record a couple of hours before, we recorded a new trailer dropped for Ghostbusters Frozen Empire. That looked really good. The new movie coming out in March, which I really loved Afterlife I know you did too, gav, and already the fans are online going. Oh, there's too many references to the originals, but fuck you lot. I don't read any things. Yeah, I wouldn't, but it looks great. You know by now you may have watched that and it's a trailer, so there's no supported. But they now show you that Walter Pack is in it again and we knew that Janine is going to be suited up with the Proton Pack.
Gav: Bill Marnie seems happy in his delivery of his lines. He seems happy to be there.
Dan: He is having a good time. There's a great line where that big creature comes towards him and he goes tall, dark and horny at 12 o'clock.
Gav: Yeah, it seems a little bit of the old self.
Dan: Even when he sees Janine in the suit with the Proton Pack, he goes Whoa, marnie, it's in the suit and it's like you're like Venkman again. This is great.
Gav: I imagine when he did that first, the last one. I reckon they probably because it was Ivan Reitman's son. You know, jason, I reckon it's probably like he probably felt, like felt, you know, back to his original roots and stuff a little bit.
Dan: And he's there with Dan Akroyd and Ernie Hudson and, you know, annie Potts who plays Janine, and I think Sigourney is going to be in this one from right here. I haven't seen anything yet, but I've got a feeling. Sigourney movies in this one a bit more this time as well.
Gav: Isn't it really a weird thing. It's like a cultural movement. It's a movie called Ghostbusters. It's like my kids know it, everyone knows the music like a song. It's a bit of a gods thing. It's a bit of a weird thing. We have these things sometimes and it will always stay with us. Everyone will know it. But I imagine, like come the 90s when a horror movie died out again before Scream managed to bring them back again, I imagine it must have been like Bill Brown-Morin now and all those guys probably like well, yeah, that's in the 80s, did Ghostbusters, but who gives a shit about it? And like the technology of the 90s, the effects is just wack and they've probably never ever thought of that becoming back to do it years later.
Dan: Years and it looks like from the trailer the effects look great. Yeah, practical effect?
Gav: Obviously there's a lot of CG about it. It kind of feels like the original, because the original people write effects.
Dan: Really good practical effects, and some of those practical effects might have been then projected onto whatever, but because it was a live puppet that they originally filmed and then projected onto in the scene, it felt really tactile. When Slimer's in the trailer at the end, that looks great. He kind of bursts out and he's real, you know, you can. He touches all the objects in the room and he slimes the kid.
Gav: I've been there with. If I don't get to get to see it with you in a cinema, I will be seeing it with my kids, or both to be honest.
Dan: Yeah, it looks like a double at least two viewings for me at the cinema. The other thing that I really like I love Paul Rudd and everyone loves Paul Rudd, but I really loved. There's just that one scene and it's stupid really but where he says to her if there's something strange, there's something weird, are you gonna call? And she looks at me and he goes look, bustin makes me feel good, okay, and it's just the lyrics just saying the lyrics shouldn't work, but because it's Paul Rudd saying it just works.
Gav: So yeah, I'm glad it's him because he's a very likeable person. It would be bad if it had been someone else with Luke Warmer.
Dan: Let me tell you why I think it feels like the original and why the original was slightly different from Ghostbusters 2, which we both love. But I think the reason is Ghostbusters 1, very first Ghostbusters movie, was actually a bit of a gateway horror for a lot of people and it's actually quite scary at times, depending on what age you saw it at, and it felt like there was some real stakes. People could get killed off, and it was. And it feels like in this one there's like because there's obviously like a frozen something or they're coming to New York freezing and killing people are dying in it. So it feels like something big and bad is actually happening and I don't know it. To me it's not just going to be a comedy like, like that, um, ghostbusters, the, the, the, the re, I don't know what the girl one is called. Really it's just 2016. No, no, the one before that, that one, was too much of a comedy. I think they forgot that. Ghostbusters actually got to be a little bit scary and the last one had some good scary stuff and that's.
Gav: I think that's because the person who was hell-minute wasn't, unfortunately, because, again, literally don't give a shit if there's females in it. That'd be great if it was. If you had the right person Ivan Reitman, sorry, jason Reitman, possibly, uh, hell-minute it would have probably had a different direction and probably come across a movie like, yeah, it's not bad. Do you know what I mean? Um, it was just, uh, they were playing it at a complete wrong audience and wrong tone to it.
Dan: Um, yeah, I've not gone back and watched that movie since we saw it in the cinema. I probably would. It was on Netflix for a while, but um we're getting older.
Gav: Uh, we could die, yeah.
Dan: I'd rather watch the new one.
Gav: It's when you got like a time of spare. That's why you spend so long trying to find a movie, because, like, I don't want to waste this precious time to watch a movie. I need to watch a good movie. And it's like do I want to go back to that Gehle Ghostbusters one? Nothing wrong with being Gehle Ghostbusters one. I'm just going that because I don't know what it's called.
Dan: I think well, they've it seems to have been renamed to Ghostbusters. Answer the call um, okay, but I've seen that a lot of times. But, um, I really loved afterlife, so I'm really looking forward to frozen empire and none of you guys have watched the trailer yet. There's the new official and probably the final trader, dropped today. So go, go check that out on youtube, wherever you watch your trailers, and it'll get you hyped. Doesn't really give anything away other than water pecs in it, probably only for that scene. And slimer, isn't it great? And you know, I've really liked the idea about the the traps being on a drone.
Gav: I thought that's really clever to get more hype with them. Have the trap on the drone, so it goes even higher than just the, the, the traps beam itself. Take the trap higher and then do it. Excellent idea. That's what I thought. I love the fact that I like the hope that that's an almost an analogy of the way that they're making this old movie in a new way, and it works seamlessly yeah, anyway, well, there we go.
Dan: So that's Ghostbusters frozen empire coming out in March. We are very excited for that. We don't often sort of talk about new traders and stuff, but I did uh, uh with Sarah.
Gav: Recently I took out on another fucking subscription. I've got fucking so many subscriptions they're coming up my arse at the moment um, what have you got now? Um, well, I did, I did paramount with um for my mum and that, and that's what. I've been watching some of these other programs, but I've also got arrow. Oh yeah, um, because, I have the arrow.
Dan: Briefly, I had it for a few months yeah, it's.
Gav: It's again. It's kind of like shudder, uk shudder. I heard us shut. It's supposed to be loads better. It's kind of like UK shudder. You can kind of watch them all in probably a few weeks and go. That's kind of all I'm interested in um arrow. There's some good movies, but we've been having a bit of a giado kick and we were going to rent them out and it was like well, it's 250 rent now we probably watch one and not tomorrow night, and it's like a five for an hour a month subscription. Well, maybe just have a subscription and bang out a few more. So we've been watching a few shallows that's been quite yeah. Yeah, I've been seeing that some of them you haven't seen by the looks a bit well, it's quite a few because I said I said I really fan still have watched them and I was like, oh, I was like I was mad for these a few years ago. I was fucking well into it. I said I even wrote a script for a short one. Um, yeah, really into it. So we've been doing that.
Dan: That's been quite fun it's worth doing these little subscriptions like that I did that just. I did that in um, in November I took out two or three subscriptions because I knew that I was going to be wanting to catch up on loads of Christmas and Christmas horror. Um, in fact I did it in October. That's right, because there was a quite a few movies I wanted to watch for October werewolf movies and I kept those subscriptions because a lot of them were only were like free for a month or free for 60 days. I forgot to cancel a couple of them so I ended up keeping some of them for two or three months, but it was really good and I've cancelled them often. You've really you've paid. Like you said, you've paid a five.
Gav: That's it at the end of the day. I used to go down the video shop.
Dan: Even back in the daygoes of video shop, you're still paying like a free quid for a video for the night, and that's why I don't object to renting on prime, because, um, if something's on prime and it's two or three quid to rent or four quid to buy, like we've talked about before, we'll just buy it if it's something we like, like with flash gordon. But for me, spending two or three quid to rent a film and see it, good quality there is that not have to track down a crappy copy or I don't have it on dvd or whatever it is or sometimes might, because some of my dvds are put away, you know, in the cupboard under the stairs. I can't get to them so easily. So it's just sometimes easier for me to just rent for two pounds or two, three pounds or something, and, yeah, I really like that and it feels like I'm still putting something back in the pot of hollywood, you know in the in the money makers part.
Gav: I also think of our lovely patrons who are so kindly still patronizing us. Don't patronize me. Um, uh, um, you know, um that helps us be able to rent these films oh 100.
Dan: We've said that especially for reviews.
Gav: It's always good to uh be able to rent like good copies, so that's what we do. Um, yeah, well, let's, should we get into the reviews? Yeah, I'm happy to get into this because we're getting to this first movie.
Dan: Um so, let me get my hang on, let me get my rock. Uh, my head rockin.
Gav: Okay, needs more cowbell. Okay, this time count it off like uh, like uh, odd, odd numbers one, three, five, six, seven, eight five, six, seven dance like a dance group. Yeah, it's great anyway, steed i6 6 6.
Dan: Check out this trailer oh four fighters.
Speaker 2: You've gotta get me a record. It's our 10th album. We're gonna break the mold on this one. Let's go somewhere. We've never been this place is amazing do you guys get this overwhelming sense of death? Oh, it doesn't really seem like the right fit. Whoa, it's rad.
Speaker 3: That was weird the sound of this house is the sound of album 10 all right, all right, you guys amps living room.
Dan: Let me apologize in advance for all the rock we're about to make got a couple of ideas I've been working on.
Gav: I'll lay them on you do the way. It's called everlong and you wrote it about 20 years ago how you feeling, everything okay ever since we moved into this house, my mind is flooded.
Speaker 2: We all have right as block. This is not just a creepy rock and roll house. It allows spiritual entities to cross into our world.
Gav: Oh, my god, dude has got one flu over the kookies.
Speaker 2: That's crazy oh, it's this place, man. Let's finish the track. Can we just wait, dude? We found a new musical note oh, yes, I did.
Dan: It's an owl. Any chefs in the group?
Speaker 3: I'm pretty handy on the grill yeah, you like your meat charred and dry. Ah, he does make a killer barbecue what do we do?
Gav: we go save his ass is the algal was done? Yeah, it's killer there you did studio six and six from 2022, rated 18 oh for the big adults one hour 46 minutes. Uh, legendary rock band foo fighters is it not the foo fighters? It would be all right, foo fighters, I think it's just foo fighters moving to ncineo mansion. Uh, steeped in grisly rock and roll history to record their much anticipated tenth album if you got that, okay, I'm sort of legendary rock band foo fighters moving to ncineo mansion, steeped in grisly rock and roll history, to record their much anticipated tenth album. Fairly easy, foo fighters moving to a house to record now um random film yes, my first watch and um so, um, what the fuck like.
Dan: What makes this film work is the weird elements that come in together like they. Obviously a lot of people will know this already. They and you know this. They film this in secret during the pandemic, you know. So, out of nowhere, a film's coming out, horror film, with the foo fighters in it as themselves. Um, that shouldn't work, but it works. And then what you realize is they're all massive fucking horror fans and they've roped in john carpenter for cameo and to write some of the music. And it's really funny and really gory not necessarily scannery, for me anyway, but it's interesting because directed the bj mcdonnell who.
Gav: The only other thing he's directed is hatchet free. Oh goodness, gracious me, I think. Oh god if I'm wrong, I feel terrible.
Dan: I'm just going to check that out yeah, but um, um, for me, what made it work is that the fact that it shouldn't work, because it's just, it's crazy really, and but I'll have a little bit of a oh no, he made the slayer movie.
Gav: Ah, okay, right, but but again that's not really. Uh, that's it really. He's all directed hatchet free. It's the first he directed in 2013. Then did the hatch slayer movie, which seris is really cool. Again a horror movie by slayer, yeah, you know well, my little what, what?
Dan: tangent, not the other tangent, because it's related that I want to just mention is horror movies and rock or metal, heavy metal go together, hand in hand and always have, because, you know, because they are both punk, they're both pushing the boundaries of what is socially acceptable. Kids gravitate towards metal, like they gravitate towards horror, and they even share snakes and demons and skull motifs. Yeah, yeah, and we've covered trick or trick or treat, you know, and there are dozens, if you want to go and find them, a heavy metal, rock and roll, whatever you want to call it, horror films, some really good ones. There's rock and roll, nightmare, and there's a bunch of them out there and they work. They usually work very well. Um, because, um, of that reason I've just given, because they are the same beast, if you pardon the pun, kids gravitate towards them. They're pushing the boundaries of what is socially acceptable. They're trying to be loud and noisy and provocative, both the music and the type of film. And I think that is the glue that brings this together the fact that Dave Grohl and his buddies genuinely obviously have some kind of knowledge and love of horror films, and I didn't know any of that, which is completely surprising because I love the food files but I don't really know an awful lot about about them individually. So this just completely like. When you said you wanted to watch it up for this episode, I was like great, because I've never seen it. Wow, it was just brilliant and funny, funny, really funny as well it's very well handled.
Gav: Um, yeah, one thing of metal and horror, it's the same with, uh, skateboarders, uh, hip hop, um, but metal and horror, it's the fans. It's um, uh, being into something which isn't the norm. Uh, metal isn't the norm. Uh, horror movies aren't the norm. Skateboarding is not the norm. Hip hop's not the norm, um, and when I say hip hop, I mean, like, the graffiti side of it. They're all the other elements as well. It's not the norm and it's it's those fans who know that they are, as we all are, horror fans, and that's why we're here listening, it's why we're all you're listening, we're all like a little community and we all love each other. It's because, um, we're outsiders, uh, looking in, um, but we're looking in for a broken, dirty window and we like it.
Dan: Well and let's be honest, we all got into, whether it's metal or skateboarding or horror. We got into that usually at an age probably too young and because we knew we shouldn't, but also because we knew it pissed off our parents and then you end up falling in love with that genre I know what you mean. I didn't but I thought, yeah, I, my parents would have been a bit across if they'd have known I'd watched some, some of the horror movies I watched at a very young age and I used to hide my rap tapes from them because, you know, I didn't want them hearing all the stuff that was being said on the nwa album, etc. Etc. So but but. So there was like an element of I'm doing this to to push back at my parents, but then you end up falling in love with the thing that it is that you're, you know what I mean and that's why they go so well together and that's definitely the glue that holds this together.
Gav: I have blast watching this. Oh yeah, this is really good. I'm glad I was tied in my room months, many moons ago and I was playing the doors, so it's not hip-hop you're saying, about hiding words. My mum would hit Jim Morrison and say show me the way to the next little girl. Oh, don't ask me, why is one of his songs. My mum's like what, what's he saying?
Dan: Yeah, I used to get really told off by my mum because she wants her the Wu-Tang Clan playing. When I think I was a bit about 14 or 15 when I bought that, I was playing it really, really loud and that was, I think. The first song in the album is called Bring the Motherfucking Ruckus, and the RZA repeats bring the motherfucking ruckus, bring the motherfucking ruckus. About 20 times before they start dropping N-bombs and F-bombs all the way through it and I was like a 14-year-old down, like yeah, this is what it's like. My mum later on said to me what was that nonsense you were listening to.
Gav: Do you know what the equivalent is for me now? I know, sorry guys, we'll get back to you in six or six a bit. The equivalent for me now is when I walk into Daisy's room and I'm knocking it and she's listening to a song which is like my big ass gonna get me some dick and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. And I was like what the fuck is this shit? And I got the hell and I'm just like. I just look at her and she laughs and I just turn around and walk out or whatever. I'm not gonna try and hide someone from the internet, not gonna happen. Fucking all right, as long as you're safe and happy and you find it funny. I just look at her and I just go wow and just turn around and walk out because I'm like favourite.
Dan: You know, nothing really shocks me. But what shocks me is these songs seem to be aimed at younger and younger people Like that.
Speaker 4: WAP song, that wet ass pussy song. It's like, wow, fucking hell man.
Dan: I was listening to little Kim back in the day when she was rapping about her pussy.
Gav: Yeah, it's weird though, isn't it?
Dan: Fucking hell, it's in the charts. Now Imagine going up to somebody saying, have you heard that WAP song? And they're like, oh, yes, it's okay. Do you know what WAP stands for? And telling an older person what it stands for, and they'd be like what.
Gav: It's a very well lubricated vagina. Very well you need a bucket and a mop, apparently Like an extremely well.
Dan: Who lyrics are you gonna bring a bucket and a mop? Would that be the British version of the song?
Gav: Extremely well lubricated vagina E W L V.
Dan: No, it would probably be sopping minge. Oh, jesus Christ. Well, I'm really sorry, we've already gone the wrong way.
Gav: I've never said that I've said those words in that way before either. So first of all, it's my birthday, studio 666. Well, what it came down to is Dave Grohl was basically had a phone call from a buddy of his and it just came out of a meeting and then in the meeting they said we'd love to make it understand like Jeff who's in Kobe Fuse has him who's their manager, I'd love to make a movie, a horror movie, with the full fighters. And he, dave Grohl, said that's the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard and ignored the fact and forgot about it. When he was coming to record his 10th album, the three-fifth, his 10th album, he was trying to find a house and all of a sudden it's just like oh, this house is horrible. And all these things started clicking. Now I've discovered Dave Grohl is a bit like me. He's like holidays. I don't do holidays, I can't do holidays. It drives me insane. I need to be making stuff. So him in lockdown, I imagine. Like me, I made a little miniature house. I didn't make a whole album movie with everyone else, but they went and pulled this off and it's a perfect time, I guess, because he's like I want to be working, I can't be working. So they went and made this film. It's just out of nowhere. He started to come up with the ideas just from, like I said, recording their 10th album. So the stories about the 10th album you write what you know. That's the best way of doing films. You know I'm not a fan of the FooFox myself. Not really into a couple of songs. Ok, I find it a bit poppy for my liking. Not so much when it first came around. I was like fuck that, I'm a Nirvana fan. The drama can't fucking go and do that and I ignored it and I was well into my hair pop and I couldn't do it. And then I was like FooFox stupid name PooFo-ers and I just ignored it, to be honest with you, and they've got a couple of good riffs, Like Dave Grohl's are an extraordinarily good musician, yeah he's an annoyingly talented man. And a genuine human being.
Dan: I was going to say he's very nice, charismatic the rest of the band from this movie seem like nice human beings.
Gav: Rest in peace, Taylor Hawkins.
Dan: He can actually act. He can play the drums, obviously he can play the guitar and yeah, it's a bit annoying.
Gav: And then my wife. My wife I don't know if Sarah does. I don't have to ask if she's into him or not.
Dan: I think she fancies what he stands for, which is he's just fucking talented.
Gav: Yeah, I like Dave Grohl. I can imagine I could get along with it. I did. I shit a shit of him.
Dan: And he's friends with Rick Astley, so you can't really say much more than you are, can?
Gav: you? Yeah, I saw Rick Astley singing a song with them, yeah never going to give you up. Strange. Anyway, this movie is extremely well produced. Yeah it's made with horror loving eyes. It is produced with horror fans. It's yeah in mind.
Dan: It's littered with Easter eggs and references.
Gav: John Carpeter plays a role in it. Anyone else got any movies? Can you, anyone else got their hands up to show me what movie John Carpeter's acting in like recently, or if he ever has? He did the Doctor in the stories. You know the one with the petrol station, and there wasn't any.
Dan: Oh, in cigarette burns.
Gav: No, no, no, no, no, we covered it at body bags.
Dan: Oh, body bags, yes, yes, Wasn't he the Doctor?
Gav: I was thinking it in between.
Dan: He was somewhere in that.
Gav: I don't think of John Carpeter as an actor In this.
Dan: But he doesn't come out of his cupboard very often, do you see?
Gav: No, he's playing computer games and getting stoned sitting on roses. He comes across great as perfectly cast and I'm going Dave Goldberg going. Maybe you could get John Carpeter to do it as a music producer and I love that he's the main music producer with an engineer.
Dan: Yeah, well, they're both engineers. The guy next to him.
Gav: He's a producer.
Dan: They've cast a guy with one eye next to him who's got like a patch on his eye.
Gav: Did they? Cast him because he's a f***ing sneak-blisskin looking guy that's very true, that guy, if you look at his eye in DB, he's got like yeah, there's a reason.
Dan: Yeah, okay, he has got that he has got like a problem with his eye, but he also has a sneak-blisskin mullet.
Gav: Jason Trost, he actually does have that.
Dan: I think he's got one eye, but it's f***ing great that they cast him next to a guy who looked a bit like a sneak-blisskin as well, just to really add to the fan boner.
Gav: I do like it with movies, with people who get acting roles for their certain things, while it's aren't normal. Like I've got one eye. He don't say that very often Good for them. Yeah, really good film, so should we get into it.
Dan: Yeah, let's get into it. So it's got a great cast.
Gav: Yeah, when I say well-produced, I'm going to score. It's really good. This is Dave Gold again. I understand he must be ADHD as well. I understand his mind and like have to make, make, make. You can listen to Dream Window on Spotify. Do you know what Dream Window is? No. Dream Window is the band.
Dan: Oh, Dream Widow.
Gav: Yeah, so no Dream Widow. Sorry, I thought it was Window.
Dan: No Widow. Are you shh the band that dies at the beginning of this movie?
Gav: Oh, ok, all right. Anyway, he went and made that whole album.
Dan: Yeah, that's right.
Gav: And it's on Spotify and you can listen to it. So he is like oh, there's a fake band in there. Ok, they made his songs. They made that song, which is a really cool song, that I was just going to make nine other songs of this fake album and the album's pretty decent and I've listened to it quite a few times. It's actually pretty good. It's a good riff to it.
Dan: Before we do get into it, one last thing I will say is this this movie would pair well with I'd never remember the name of that Rob Zombie movie. How's that? No, no, no, no, no. The one where they get the vinyl records and they.
Gav: Say that, lord's of Salem.
Dan: Lord's of Salem, because they're both about sort of music having control in a demonic way over people and this feels like the more lighter comedy version of that, but still quite heavy at times and very violent.
Gav: Yeah, it's great, great goal.
Dan: So I think it would pair well with that. That is one thing I would say.
Gav: Another thing back in the sort of mid-80s there was a thing with like blood tracks. There's one that froze to mind straight away. There's a lot of heavy metal movies where horror movies, where it's heavy metal bands in the horror movies going out to make their music video in the middle of the snow. That's the basic premise of blood tracks.
Dan: Yeah, that's right.
Gav: And they get like an evil dead type. Not even the fucking the Hillbillies Hills have always type kill you. But there's this, not a gluttony, but there's a lot of heavy metal bands and horror movies as a thing and this movie feels like an 80s movie. I love the single-eye location, I love all the characters in it and, yeah, it feels like an 80s film all the way through, very much Almost like an Italian film, almost with the setting of the location of the villa, but not, I don't know. I feel very homely with this film. If it was on DVD I'd probably have it in my studio. I don't know if it is.
Dan: I'll go back and watch this 100%. So yeah, let's get things off. So we start back in 1993 at the mansion the Encina Mansion and we see little snippets of weird stuff going on, a take-to-take reel. We hear a woman screaming and crying and we see her crawling along the ground with a bone sticking out of her leg. She's in a bad way.
Gav: And the hammer starts up. We don't know what's going on. It's sort of looking at stuff. It slowly pans along the floor to a woman who is also on the floor being dragged off.
Dan: Yeah, and then a man with a hammer steps in and Takes her out. Well, he doesn't just take her out, he beats her head probably about seven or eight times with this hammer. So straight away you're like oh, we're starting off with some head trauma.
Gav: Mate, if you didn't really know what's going on here, you'd think no, is this a slasher?
Dan: Yeah, well, it looks like. It looks like that it's more than demonic yeah Story of the day.
Gav: We've got also nothing John Carter did in this. He scored the year that he did the music for the opening.
Dan: Yeah, and he co-wrote most of the songs, didn't he?
Gav: Yeah, that mixed with the Foo Fighters fake band playing in it, it's fucking. It's really good, really good soundtrack.
Dan: Do you find out during the credits? Do you know those credits?
Gav: Yeah, I do Quite large. That music is just kind of maybe going like yeah, I mean good hands here.
Dan: And it's revealed that this band called Dream Widow have been slaughtered in this mansion. And this is another thing. With rock and roll and heavy metal, there's always these stories about terrible things or curses or people that you know, ozzy Osbourne, biting the head off of a bat. There's always these demonic things that have actually so that would have been like. You know you can imagine a band slaughtered, you know in the 90s or the 80s or something, and everyone like, oh, that's why that album's the best album ever, because it's the last one they made you know. So do you know what I mean? It's the kind of thing that would really happen, but yeah, so there we go. Then we cut to the present day and we've got Jeff Garland from Kirby Enthusiasm. It's fucking great in this. I always love him in everything he's.
Gav: I love Kirby Enthusiasm, dave Grohl said after he'd acted with me. He said it felt like you had just done some scenes in Kirby Enthusiasm. It's just weird.
Dan: And he's got the band in a room, the Pooh Fighters, and they're discussing. You know they're actually discussing movies. They're saying which is better June, the original June movie with Sting, or Waterworld with Kevin Costner? And they're talking about those movies for some reason. I fucking love it. It feels real. It feels like the sort of conversations you have. You know you've got Dave Grohl going. Did you not see that? They've got gills behind their ears? That's the whole thing, man.
Gav: And then obviously, yeah, they're having a lot of Jeff Garland and their manager. What's his name? It's Jeremy. Oh, that's just called Jeff, and he's just standing there going looking at him going you know, what Sting does have or who's it, because they talk about something. He has an album. It's not what I have.
Dan: Yeah, he's saying to them I want this 10th album. You know where is it?
Gav: Where the fuck is this album?
Dan: And he goes. Dave Grohl is like it's up here, man, it's in my head, it's in his head, it's in his head, it's in there, man.
Gav: And he says, don't worry. He says did you just tell me not to?
Dan: worry.
Gav: He's like yeah, yeah, and they're basically, they're blatantly just getting like really fucking told off, and it's quite funny.
Dan: And the reason for this is this is their 10th album. This is a big one for them. They want to do something different, which makes sense, but they said to it. They say to him look, the thing is, jeff, we've recorded it. All the good studios, they want the new sounds. The big studio, the slay. We've done them all. We want a new song, we want somewhere that will really bring out a new something in us.
Gav: We want a song which will make you blow your dick into your own mouth.
Dan: Taylor Hawkins. Taylor Hawkins wrestling piece. What a funny guy. He never learned the script. He basically knew the script, but he didn't learn his lines, so he just ad-libbed pretty much everything whenever he's on the scene.
Gav: Well, jeff, obviously being used to Kirby Infuse, has him when it goes with it and he's just like what, bro? Your own dick into your mouth. That's what you're telling me.
Dan: And then he's like what is that a good thing, or is?
Gav: like what do you?
Dan: mean back in. Has it been there before they really go down this tongue?
Gav: When you say back into his mouth, it says been there before.
Dan: And these little tangents, it's just what make this film really. And he says to them in quite a sinister way and we find out why ah, I've got the perfect place for you guys. He calls his secretary, barb, and he says Barb, I'm here with the boys, the food fighters, and they're looking for someone new to record Anything springs of mind. And she's like yes, I think I've got the perfect place. And you're like well, that's a bit weird. Cut to Cut to the mansion. Arriving at the mansion in the van.
Gav: Oh, just before that, when you're back in the meet, cut back to just at the meeting, the end of it. That's a really weird Pearl Jam reference. Now I had to think about this and go into this and I thought about it. You know, I spent seconds of my life thinking about it in my head. Is it something they used to say when he does it, when they decide that they go, jeremy has spoken? And I was like, right, is this something they used to do in Nirvana, just to take the kind of piss out of Pearl Jam a bit when they had a grievance, like they'd say, jeremy's spoken.
Dan: I don't know. They do that, pearl Jam, high ten, don't they? So they all put their hands up in the air, and that's because the front cover of Pearl Jam's first album, which is called Ten, is all of them put their hands together. So it must be a loving reference then to them.
Gav: But I'm sure Jeremy was about a kid that doesn't even commit to sort of blow people away at school or some shit. The story from the Pearl.
Dan: Jam song.
Gav: So it's a bit of a weird one to say Jeremy's spoken. Anyway, just thought of throwing that in there because I used to be a grunger when I was 16 at school. You know, showing me age.
Dan: Well, we arrived at the mansion in Barb who is Jeff Garland's secretary. She's kind of there. She will come back to check up on them and make sure they're delivering on this album. She shows them around the mansion, Dave Grohl immediately being the lead singer of the band. You know the front man. He starts picking up on what he calls he's got a weird energy man and he's feeling these weird vibes. He even starts hearing like funny noises that the others don't hear. Initially, and this mansion is. It's like it's been waiting and it's a great premise for our film. It's like this mansion has been waiting for the right creative mind to channel its evil intent into.
Gav: Any movies being made in lockdown secretly. You got to do isolation, you got to do one places and for me, love that shit. Yeah, yeah, Dave, Dave. Dave starts clapping and goes hear that man, he had the acoustics and he's clapping away, which is also absolute shit, by the way. And this is actually Dave in the interview saying I was doing that because any producer or engineer, or whether they go into a room, they start clapping. It's a load of fucking shit. It makes no difference. He was actually slightly disagreeing. There's the amount of reverberation. They just listen and see how long the reverb goes. So not to argue, Dave Grohl, he knows better than me. I'm sure he gets paid.
Dan: They are playing slightly cartoonish versions of himself as well. They're all being slightly more deaver-ish than they would normally be, and just before that is what Barb does reveal to them. There's something we should probably tell you about this mansion. Have you heard of a band called Dream Widow? They all died in this mansion, blah, blah, blah, and they're all like, well cool, then we definitely have to make it. That's cool when she's saying that we do get some flashbacks to more death. That happened in the mansion as well. So we definitely know that something shit, some weird shit went down in this mansion. But they decide let's move in. Let's set up and move in.
Gav: I do like it. I do like the move-in montage with Krug.
Dan: Yeah, Krug is played by Slayer's lead guitarist.
Gav: Okay, and that's Chief Rody.
Dan: And he's telling everyone where to go. Dave Grohl's like. Can you move my drum parts slightly to the left?
Gav: He's doing his drum tech for him. So he's sitting there and he's just got a snare and it's just bang Every once in a while. Just hit the snare, no, no, no, no. Just move it a little bit more. And every time it happens, krug's just shut his eyes. I was like oh my God, I'm feels, and you feel, his pain, the snare guy cutting right through each time.
Dan: And he says in the end, he says yeah, whatever, Dave, and he says this is that's amazing.
Gav: We hear whatever Dave.
Dan: And then Dave Grohl does a drum solo, which is fucking awesome, and that's great Well he just starts playing drums and it's a really nice little break out.
Gav: So I was like, oh, like that.
Dan: So they sit down I think they're having a barbecue or a beer and they say, right, here's what we do, guys, we're going to move into record for two weeks, maybe four, so maybe a month tops. And they're all like, oh, come on. And then one of them says you tell my wife. He says, all right, I'll tell your wife if you tell my wife. And then one of the other guys is like, well, who's going to tell my kids? So they're all older men, now married with children.
Gav: Apart from one of them. So who's going to tell my grand? And then one of the other guy goes remember the Hanukkah party with grandma?
Dan: He says I'll tell her she likes me and this is how well this film is made, though.
Gav: when that happens, it's like these real close-ups on their faces and the overreaction. Like the dude I don't know what his name is. He hasn't got a picture on the IMDB, so I don't know which one it is. It's the one of the heart shaped chest.
Dan: Rami yeah.
Gav: Rami, okay, and his shades and stuff, and he's all like, hey, I'm all sexy.
Dan: He's the sex machine of the band, yeah.
Gav: It's quite funny. But he's just like, don't say that. And it's all these close-ups. And then you hear, just like a fake party sex scene. You hear it's like, oh yeah, you like that grandma, like what had happened before, and they're both looking at it and he's going, yeah, yeah, and the camera's going closer and cut them back and forth, back and forth, going closer and closer into their faces. All of these little bits of the movie, layers of this movie, make this movie so great.
Dan: Yeah, because these characters are real people you know to an extent anyway. So just hearing all this really adds to the fact that there's already a chemistry between them.
Gav: It's a really good shoot. I appreciate it. I don't know what audiences thought and I don't think they gave a fuck. I think it was like let's make a movie because I'm bored, we've got nothing to do in fucking lockdown. So I don't know who they made this film for. Is it RH? I don't know, I'm not sure.
Dan: I guess so, I guess so.
Gav: Especially with all the references. Yeah.
Dan: So Dave starts noticing again more of this weird vibe, and we get a lot of the what they call the Dutch camera angles Dutch angle yeah. I was going to say Dutch oven then, but it's not Dutch ovens.
Gav: That's farting under the mattress and putting you up a half on there.
Dan: Not under the mattress. Fuck you now. Under the tube, but that is obviously very reminiscent of the Sam Raimi and Evil Dead. So we're getting like a bit of a vibe and there is a huge Evil in the third act. We've got a huge Evil Dead, you know set of references. Oh yeah, I mean it's essentially this could be a spin-off of Evil Dead Random Evil Dead movie.
Gav: yeah.
Dan: And then he's having his coffee or whatever and he sees a Cropsy style gardener with the shears in the garden and he says, oh hey, you stop that because he's sort of making watching, watching. And they thought they were going to have a bit of isolation and privacy. So he runs outside to tell this guy off.
Gav: This is almost like going into sort of territory of pieces with a gardener.
Dan: Yeah, oh it is. Isn't it that fucking gardener in pieces, jesus Christ?
Gav: I say, that's on arrows. I might have to watch an HD copy of pieces. I want to do that at some point.
Dan: Of course for George. Yeah, yeah, it's a great movie. He goes out to tell off this gardener and the gardener banishes.
Gav: There's no one there, he goes around the hedge. No one there? Oh OK, Then the crew comes in to check out the Warren who's under the desk.
Dan: Chris death scene he looks under the desk.
Gav: I don't know if this shit goes up to just before he does that, we see like the wires do some rewiring themselves by magic.
Dan: Like a black ghostly hand.
Gav: Like sort of cloud, yeah, Moves him around. And he gets fried.
Dan: Yeah, and I didn't expect this. He gets fucking fried man and it's such good effects on him Because it's all practical.
Gav: I love the fact that obviously they should leave. That should be over. But Dave's like he hasn't been hooked yet by what he's. You know the record. He hasn't had a, whatever reason. He feels a bit like I or the house is already got getting into him.
Dan: Yeah, and so he they go he decides Don't touch him. He's still probably going yeah. And then he's like he's dead. He's like right, that's it, we're all going home.
Gav: And Dave's like whoa, whoa guys, it's like on a patio. He's been taken away by the body and they're like well, Krug would live. A Krug love this place and Krug didn't love this place at all.
Dan: But he says we got to do it for Krug.
Gav: That's why Taylor goes. I suppose I could record a couple of drum riffs, because they're like we can dedicate them to him. I'm like, OK, well, that's fair enough. Ok, we can record some drum licks here, you know, and thinking like he set the drums up, so fair enough, I guess.
Dan: So they have a barbecue, one of many barbecue. So they tend to do in between recordings.
Gav: Looking around the house he does say he's a really good barbeque. And one of the guys says you can't cook for shit. And the other guy looks and says fuck you. And it's just like the humor in this.
Dan: And while he's barbecuing, he turns around and he sees Krug's head in the barbecue.
Gav: Yeah, kind of giving him a warning.
Dan: And he sort of falls back a little bit and then he hears a noise and he says is that God knows?
Gav: So he goes and look.
Dan: But then he says maybe it's that. He says maybe it's the fucking press or someone's found out where we are, and so he runs off. I love the fact that the rest of the band stay up on the balcony and just let him go off to investigate whatever is, and they're all just like none of them. They're so lazy they're just watching him do all the work. So he goes off and he meets their neighbor, Samantha, who lives in the mansion next door. Yeah, she's a bit of a milf, isn't she? She's a bit of a milf indeed, and she's like, oh my God, I love you guys. And she just starts singing food fighter songs.
Gav: And well, I'm screaming them. They all just look like oh my God.
Dan: And it's quite comical because just every time you think she stopped, she then does the next couple of lines.
Gav: Real bad.
Dan: She's a comedian, but then she stops and she stops the rest of the band go yeah, at this point Rami's like fuck yeah, I'm getting me some middle faction.
Gav: So he runs down and so he goes. Hey, sorry, I'm sorry. I'm just going to let you know. I don't want to make a apologize for all the rock we're about to make.
Dan: She's like, oh, it's all right, they flirt really bad.
Gav: It's obvious.
Dan: It's obvious they're banging. She's banging at her at some point and she admits later on she was a groupie. So you know, it's fine, it's all good.
Gav: So just as they go, dave sort of says, oh, by the way, is there like a gardener here or anything? And she's just like no, dave, the house has been empty for years and slowly bobs down behind the fence. That's hilarious when she slowly and that's the tone of this film.
Dan: That reminds me there's a joke in the wedding scene with Adam Sander where the guy says he's losing his mind and Rami being all the benefits, and then he slowly pulls the curtain across like a Vincent Price move. Shouldn't work in an Adam Sander comedy, but it just. And that's the same as this. Why does she slowly float back down behind the fence? It doesn't matter, it's fucking hilarious.
Gav: This is kind of like that blood bath at the house of death in tone. You know what I mean.
Dan: Yeah, yeah.
Gav: Anyway, dave has, though. What's to do this album? What's the problem? Rodgers block?
Dan: He's got he's. He's feeling a little bit like he can't get it up, as it were.
Gav: But in the musical world, I love the fact he just goes and has like a dream where he's sitting there playing Lionel Richie's Hello, is it me you're looking for? And then Lionel Richie walks in the room and says that's my son.
Dan: He says listen, motherfucker, that's my mother fucking song. No one plays that fucking song with me. I fucking love that song. Apparently, when he came on set his lines didn't include any swearing. Lionel Richie was like I feel like I should just swear loads, because no one really sees me swear. Because obviously Lionel Richie's a smooth, nice guy.
Gav: No. So when he does it like you say, he says hey, dave, I know we all sometimes have writers block stuff, but that's my son, that's my fucking son. I fucking love that son. This is the way he goes into it my son.
Dan: They've got. Not only have they got John Carpenter in this, they've also got Lionel Richie swearing in this Wow.
Gav: Lionel Richie's a strange one because at one point he did a duet with Rob Zombie and it was a brick and it was a brick house. Yeah, the fuck, he did a brick house, rob Zombie. If you watch House of House of Corps, it's a little bit where they play brick house, when in the basement which Rob filmed in his own basement of his wife and Cig Haig doing some stuff and that song plays. But they actually did a duet together, brilliant.
Dan: I think my favorite bit of that scene, though, is so Lionel Richie's a good lad.
Gav: That's what I'm saying.
Dan: I think my favorite bit of this scene, though, is not all the F-bombs or anything like that. It's when Dave Grohl sort of Lionel Richie's walking out of the room and Dave Grohl says okay, sorry, and he just looks over his shoulder at Dave and says nerd, lionel Richie's calling you a nerd, get your own nerd. So yeah, he's struggling. And then he, at night time, crooks demon Body just flows down.
Gav: It's so good, I know.
Dan: It looks really good, the red glowing eyes. You know it's simple, it's not trying to be too elaborate and it's just keeping it nice and straightforward. And he says to Dave, they are watching you and you're like who, what the fuck? Who's watching him? Really creepy, glowing eyes. And then when you think that's over, it's kind of an American werewolf double nightmare, because suddenly he kind of wakes up and then all these other demons come in and surround him and start clawing at him. Then they disembowel him, rip all his guts out.
Gav: It's a very American werewolf and London type sort of thing going on.
Dan: Exactly the double nightmare. And yeah, they disembowel him, he wakes up and he orders takeaway from this poor takeaway guy.
Gav: Have you seen the movie Stray's?
Dan: With the dogs. Yes, a long time ago.
Gav: Very, very funny, but that's the guy in it who's the main reason. The dog wants to go back and bite his dick off. That's the delivery guy.
Dan: He's brilliant because, obviously, as you would, the door opens and it's Dave Groll he's like oh, my God you're Dave Groll. He's like, yeah, did you get my food? And he's like, yeah, I've got a demo. I'm in a band.
Gav: But what he says though you're my favorite second band after Coldplay. Oh, what the hell. And what is the demo of yours going to be like if Coldplay's your favorite band in three fires?
Dan: His band. Later on we find out his band. I think were they called Bone Fragments or oh shit, bone something. It's really good I've got it written down when we get to that bit later on, but I thought that was a great name for a band, bone. Structure yeah, bone Structure, which I said to Alice would be a great name for a podcast. If I went off and did one on my own, it'd just be called Bone Structure. What's it about? Movies. But I'm like taking them, taking them part and looking at the structure of the movie. You know, I don't know how the fuck in there no one's listening to it. It's not real, doesn't it? No one's listening to us. Yeah, second favorite band after Coldplay. So because he's got such bad writers' block. He does, but anyone who thought that block does it goes on YouTube.
Gav: Hey, you're here today because you've got writers' block. Okay, we're going to start with this riff Meow. That's one. Now two Meow back to one. What's really funny is it's funny seeing him standing there going like really invested, Like okay, meow, he's playing it along.
Dan: What's brilliant, I think, is we may have gone past the scene where he says to the band I'm struggling.
Gav: No, no, no, no. Is that coming up? Okay, we'll do that. I know what you mean. It's so good, yeah, yeah that's really funny.
Dan: Yeah, more weird noises and reflections when he starts hearing a dripping sound.
Gav: It's late at night and Dave's having to look around the house just wandering around.
Dan: Something's enticing him with this dripping sound.
Gav: It's why I like this movie. It's the sort of movie I'm quite happy getting to bed at night telling me I'm going to watch 6666, you know.
Dan: Even if you took the food butters out of this, it would still be quite a good, I'd still be super happy with it, yeah. Yeah, so yeah, he checks the tap. The tap isn't dripping. So where is this dripping sound coming from? And he follows the noise and it leads him down outside and down into the basement and obviously in a basement. You never go in the basement, dave. You never fucking go in the basement. Why are you just going to the basement?
Gav: I went around someone's house today and they're like, oh, could you just do the downstairs bit? And I was like, yeah, no worries. Went down to his basement downstairs and it's a whole fucking music studio, this one room. So there's lights everywhere like I was in a fucking spaceship. I was like the fuck says it. Oh, I make music plugins which are basically on us in software. If you're playing piano, you want to put on a reverberation or an effect. That is a plugin. So he makes some stuff and I was like, oh, it's really cool. Anyway, I was in the basement earlier, so I went down to basement and I'm here today, right now, Unless I'm a demon and it's not me.
Dan: Did you notice that We'll go back to the delivery guy? Did you notice the exorcist reference as well?
Gav: I bet this is. I'm terrible at that stuff. You know what I'm like. It was just literally a split second.
Dan: He stepped on the steps and looked up at the house. Oh yeah, no, yeah, yeah, yeah, the poster's exorcist. It was great.
Gav: I forgot it was the exorcist, but I did think to myself when they did it. If I'd been filming it myself, director, I'd been like, oh, just stop there. Stand there, that looks great Now look at the house. Excellent, you know, but yes, exorcist.
Dan: So he follows the dripping sign into the basement and when he gets in there he sees a bloody raccoon on the wall and that's what the dripping is blood dripping off of it. Then he sees a set of shears with blood all over them and that was from the gardener that he saw earlier. And then he finds an old reel to reel with dream widow written on it.
Gav: Not dream window. I did make sure I wasn't wrong. I don't know why I fucked dream window you think it a rear window or secret window.
Dan: You love a good window, don't you? You love peeping through them.
Gav: Do you know? Dream theater.
Dan: I do know dream theater yeah.
Gav: Okay, the crazy banjo.
Dan: Yeah, my, my sister's ex-wife when we we went to download festival and her ex-wife's dad picked us up after four days of living in a horrible muddy tent. We're all really on the way home all the way home and I was like, why are you playing?
Gav: this, my God. He is torturing you fuckers Horrible.
Dan: Yeah, so he turns on the reel to reel and it's like the is like the Necronomicon.
Gav: He's letting the science he's like what the hell is this? It's interesting, it's a nice reel to reel machine. So he gets it all wired up, gets tape in there, presses, play kind of stands back and just comes on in here like a. Then all of a sudden you hear it's massive, droney tone of guitars lay it up, real fat, and he's just like what the shit is this? Now he does, in fact, want to steal this, though. Yeah. Yeah, before he's told by the tape to that he's going to finish it. He's just like I'm fucking stealing this.
Dan: Because he says this is the same. He says this is the same, this is what we want to want to do, you know. But so he starts rocking out to it for a while, and then the tapes fuck up and it's not even backwards, he wins his. You know, we hear voices and it seems like he's potentially getting possessed. He sees demons and somebody says you must finish it. And that's the end of that scene, yeah, yeah. So the next day says to the band right, I've got, I'm going to play this for you. And he plays it. So we have skipped past the bit I wanted to mention, which is where he has writer's block and one of the days he's playing for the band and he just starts playing all the riffs of all their old songs and they're like Dave, that's just, that's just this song, that's just that song and it's like you know sorry, I can't come up with it, it will come, don't worry, it will come. He's like I've just been playing the same songs for so many fucking years.
Gav: That's funny because I would have definitely said about it no, he actually, he legitimately sits down with the band that says, ok, I got this. And they're like yeah, you've done that already. It's like oh. Ok, this one. They're like Dave, you've written it 20 years ago. It's like it's a good song, man, but you've already written it. It's like, oh shit.
Dan: But he plays this new sound for the band yeah, yeah, yeah. They're really impressed, they're just like oh my God, it's amazing.
Gav: Like what keys it in? It's like L sharp.
Dan: He says to them just before that, he says to them I'm feeling this could be a double album, guys, and they're like yeah.
Gav: And then he's like maybe a triple album.
Dan: Maybe a triple album.
Gav: And they're like OK. Maybe you want triple albums. Even double albums are a bit of a false face. But yeah, he says it's L sharp and so Pat goes, you found a new musical note and he's like hell, yeah, he says so. You mean it's like a flat of five octaves up and he's like no L sharp.
Dan: He says so try and find he tried to get and get and get this note. Now, while that's happening, Samantha arrives, doesn't she?
Gav: I do want to talk very quickly about Pat.
Dan: I love Pat. I watched this, probably one of my favorites.
Gav: I watched this movie in a cinema and my only issue was Pat is acting when I can first. My first initial thought I was like but he's a couple of the perfect word I had for him, but it was. It was like sincere or something like that. I did like it in a way, though this time I watched it around and I love Pat because he's acting so kind of odd. I really like it now.
Dan: He's a very enthusiastic sweet guy because he's got gray hair and looks a bit older than the rest. I always say to Alice he always, whenever I see the foods playing, and even especially in this film, he looks just like someone's uncle that's tagging along with them all.
Gav: But it's like when a woman comes to say where are they, where's everybody else? Because he sleeps in the kitchen randomly and he just goes. He's just like up there. He's quite sweet. So yeah, he's a really funny one, but anyway, pat's the one that goes. You found a new musical note, so it's all there.
Dan: So Samantha the neighbor brings them some lemon slice cake that she's made. The old neighbor comes by with some kegs and she says to Dave how are you feeling, dave? She knows the history of this house. And then she says you know, rami, there's something about this house. And again there's more flirting between her and Rami going on there and he calls him Rami-O. He says hey. Rami-O, let's get back up there and record, Leave her alone. And he's like, damn it, stop cock-blocking me. Dave Grohl, Anyway, three weeks later. So they've been in a house for three weeks now and Dave is super tense, with them all being a real diva and he's getting crossed because they've done this song, they're writing this song, they can't get to the end of the song and they're all getting really annoyed with him the length of the song. So they all go off to bed and he wakes them all up. Must be fucking annoying. And the middle of the night goes round them all individually going guys, guys, we got a new idea, we got a good now. We got a record now.
Gav: I can imagine if Dave Grohl is actually like that. I can imagine they're fairly used to it.
Dan: Like Rami's wanking to porn and he's wearing Dave's pants. He's like are those my pants?
Gav: No.
Dan: I think it was Taylor's wanking, and that's Taylor wanking, actually. And then Pat's. This is where we find out. Pat sleeps in the kitchen because he's the only one who hasn't got a bedroom blessing. So he sleeps on a packet of toilet rolls as a pillow on the kitchen counter and then he relays he's blessed. So they all you know they all go and see what the fuck Dave's talking about. And Dave has made something God hasn't he? What's he made out of wood and knitting wool?
Gav: It's made kind of like a Pentagon type sort of shape. It's just I had to make this, I couldn't get it out my head. It helps. It's the sound of the album, not what.
Dan: Yeah, Whenever a pentagram appears, you know something bad's going down. And the pentagram is that each nail represents each of the six band members and each one, each nail. He's taken the time to individually paint a little instrument on that so that they know. And he said this is us, we are the pentagram, we're the corners and we all connect to each other.
Gav: This is how the sound plays out. This is also three weeks into the album because we had a three weeks later bit just before it. So they have recorded a majority of the album, but I love the fact that they're just like right, okay, this song's like now like what 35, 40 minutes or something at one point, and then so we have to have an ending. It's just like what the fuck? Well, it gets longer, doesn't it?
Dan: It starts off with being 16 minutes since, like 28, 35, 42 minutes by the end of it A psychedelic 70s rock thing to do have a half an hour side of a record which is just one song. When he's explaining this pentagram to them all at like three in the morning. Pat says no.
Gav: He's just like we can start this now, let's go record it. And Pat's like no, I don't even this is what I relate to. Pat. He's like no, they even have a bedroom. I can't sleep very well. Like what the fuck, I just need to get some sleep. I can do it the next day and Dave just takes it. Dave just written. He's like what the fuck? Pat's like what the fuck man.
Dan: Yeah, he growls at him, doesn't he?
Gav: And then Dave Grohl would make a great werewolf, because he pretty much almost does in this at times. We'll have tea for a close-up. He's going, ah.
Dan: But he goes. All right, I'll play then. For God's sake, you just shut the fuck up or play and basically so the next morning the band have a secret meeting away from Dave to discuss his weird behavior. Yeah, and they're like I don't know man. He's acting really strange, you know. And then they see him coming over and they're like oh hi Dave, how are you doing? And he's like look, I just want to say I'm really really sorry, is that what they?
Gav: say about all the monkeys? Oh yeah, no, he's got the demon in me now, isn't he? Yeah, yeah, yeah. So that's when they say. That is actually when he says yeah, and he's always ranking off like he's it, and I was always like what are you doing in there? Pat is like outside the bathroom, what are you? Doing in there, dave, it sounds like you're playing pancake with like some. I don't know what he says, but it's so funny.
Dan: That's that's. That's wrong. Yeah, that's later on with the list.
Gav: Oh yeah, that's it yeah.
Dan: What could, what could? We get the signs have been possessed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, Dave comes over and they say sorry, the conversation They've done sorry.
Dan: He says look, guys, let's get this song finished and we'll be out of here by Sunday and then we can all go home back to our wives and children. So they say, all right, ok, that's fine, that's fine. So he says look, here's how the song goes. He acts out and bit of a Jack Black sort of moment where he sort of acts out at the song. You're going to do this.
Gav: And I'm going to go, you're going to come in like like half under the horses and just does this whole thing.
Dan: But they, they really bind to it and they're like OK, cool, it sounds like this song is going to be epic, so they start recording. This is where the sound engineers come.
Gav: This is when they start going right. Let's record it. And John Carpenter comes in with sound engineer.
Dan: You've got John Carpenter fist bumping, sneak-pliss skin and and it's a great, great little montage of them playing this song.
Gav: There's a bit where you can, because I know John Carpenter's voice so well. There's a bit where you can. It's quite obvious what he's saying, but he's going, wow.
Dan: Yeah, he says wow, doesn't he?
Gav: It's when they play the guitar riff and it's such a fucking dope guitar riff. It's a great song.
Dan: Solid. I wouldn't want to hear it for two minutes.
Gav: No, no, it's not that long, it's, it's, it's, it starts. It has about two minutes maybe of leading into it before it gets to it. So we were and then just go, bobo, well, it's good.
Dan: Well, eventually they finish recording and John Carpenter and sneak-pliss can leave. And they do say to them look guys, we'll go now If there's anything else that you record we're taking on Monday.
Gav: We can you know? If you fancy the gears there, just press record and just make sure you capture it.
Dan: So that's all good, and then they're alive Takeout.
Gav: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Dan: So the takeout guy arrives with his demo bone structure CD. Are you not in the band? Should be, shouldn't I? Bone structure, it's great. I just was like that's a great name for a band. I don't know, it's a terrible name for a band, I like it. He sees someone in the garden. He's all Dave, is that you? I've got the.
Gav: I've got my demo, I've got and I've got more ranch you wanted more ranch Ranch source for you.
Dan: He's really kissing at him and he goes into the garden and we get our Cropsey reference. Yeah yeah, yeah, the burning the burning the shears up in the air and he gets beheaded. Then the body is dragged away Great beheading, nice roll of a head and all good effects in this. It's all good. It's cut to the band next day discussing the song. At this point they say right, dave, this is a 38 minute track. At this point and they're all having a barbecue they say you know what are you going to do? And he's eating his steak. They realize he's eating his thing. He's this rule when he's like this is so fucking juicy.
Gav: It's a rare steak.
Dan: Wow, ok, hmm, interesting. Barb comes to check on them. Jeff Garland's secretary, she pops in.
Gav: Patterson sleep on the floor of his little nightcap, like he's in in my night before Christmas book.
Dan: Well, it looks like Well, it's a trick to the audience because as she walks into the kitchen she sees some legs on the floor and a puddle of blood next to it, Then realizes it's just a sleep in the floor.
Gav: It's a lot of ketchup, yeah. And because the house is trash, she's like how do they do this? It's under ceiling.
Dan: Oh, she's stepping over this shit he's. He's like yeah, they're fucking animals. I don't even have a bed, but you know, it is what it is.
Gav: And then she mentions, like the neighbor next door, and says, oh, she bought some cakes over and as she goes, oh, that cake. And he says you're just going to eat that. And she starts saying to him how bad that cake could be and he's just and I love that, pat's. Just look at the thought of it. It's like, oh man, just, it's just the way it just goes. Oh, yeah, probably just eat. I was like, yeah, you go, pat, you tell her.
Dan: And underneath the cakes he realizes there's a message written that says the sacrifice and but he says well, look, the album's almost done, Don't worry about that, we're going to go in. You know it's coming along nicely. At this point, because the song is now over 45 minutes long, Chris says I quit, I'm quitting the band, we're not doing a 40 minute song. I'm going to go outside and start the barbecue and I quit. So he's not really quitting. This probably happens in bands all the time. But he goes out and while he's having a barbecue, demon appears behind him. Then he got here, Smashing his head on the grill. Nice effect of the flesh sort of coming off his face sticking to the grill. And then on top of that his head's shut in the grill and then he's stabbed multiple times in the back and we see that it is a mystical, it's Dave Gro.
Gav: It's the drama of Nirvana.
Dan: And he's wearing. He's wearing the overalls and the flat cap of the gardener, so he's probably the one that did the burning kill on the delivery guys. Well, yeah, then then the band find the delivery guys body.
Gav: Yeah, strung up, pinned to a tree. Great effects again.
Dan: Yeah, and his demo is sort of sat between his legs.
Gav: Dave Gro's like I think it's my fault because I think I creeped him out a bit.
Dan: And he says don't call the cops. And they're like what, what are you talking about? Oh, there's now, you know, this body here. The crew died. Now this guy's dead. And he says please, please, one more day, Get the song finished with this band. This noise that we've got, this, this acoustics, it's never going to, we're never going to be able to do this again. He says then we'll call 911, the FBI, whoever the fuck you want, you know, but we're going to do this. I need you to all hand me your phones and your car keys so no one can leave. And they all just complacently just hand him their phones and their keys and they're like, yeah, all right, then it's a bit sketchy. He actually breaks Taylor's phone, doesn't he? With his bare hand, and they don't question the strength that he's got. He does More recording montage is now Dave's acting weird and we're doing. We see him eating a body outside and that is the body of Chris, who got smashed into the barbecue and then killed. And yeah, so definitely we know as an audience now that this guy is he's gone, full evil dead. The band have just got a tune into what's going on there, really, and they say well, let's go and speak to Samantha. She obviously knows what's going on and she explains to them the whole backstory, which is that the house that they're in is a gateway to another world, another demon dimension. The band that were there in the 90s opened up that dimension. They all got killed. And she's heard something. She was a groupie for that ban. And she heard something about a book made of human flesh in the base of the basement and they have to sacrifice blood into the book to keep it fed. They say the book was written by Alastair Crowley and it was made made of human flesh. And she said there's a song called Tears of the Gods and they couldn't perfect that song so the lead singer of the band hung himself after killing everybody else in the band. So it's a pretty fucking big backstory. But as she say all of this and she's saying you know I was a groupie, All Rami can hear now is great, she's a groupie. So I'm going to get laid in a minute then. That's good. This is pretty much all this demonic shit.
Gav: Yeah, that's pretty much what you're thinking.
Dan: They then find all these dolls hanging in the trees and they realise they need to depossess him. They need to find the book, they need to read a specific passage from the book. So they come up with a plan. The plan is Taylor is going to distract Dave by fucking up his his drums when they're recording and that will keep him distracted while Pat and Nate go off to find the book. And of course, that leaves Rami to fuck Samantha. He's pretty much I'll go around Samantha.
Gav: Make sure she's all right, sort of thing.
Dan: They're like all right then You've been wanting to do this for the last two weeks. Go, fucking go and do it. Get on with it. Really funny stuff. So they get it on, they start banging. You know, we keep cutting back to them. Pat and Nate are trying to find the book and while the other two are banging, they don't realise someone's under their bed, do they? Yeah, someone's under the bed, do they have?
Gav: No. And it's almost a neat Friday 13th.
Dan: It is, but with a chainsaw.
Gav: It is so good. So basically, I love the fact he's got a heart shaped chest wig for a start. We shaved it, so he's just sex all over this guy and he's just sex on legs and yeah, so they're banging away. He's on top of her and yeah, she's like I put the music on. I don't want Dave to hear us, which is strange thing to say and put the music on. I love this bit and it's each time this bit happens. It's like you can hear the chainsaw raving up as well, and what happens then?
Dan: Well, the song is called. I think the song is called the Chainsaw and there is a chainsaw in it as well. But yeah, then an actual chainsaw comes out from the bottom of the bed in through the woman and then in to Rami and literally split from head to butt and they both just fall apart in each direction. Blood, absolutely ever, apparently they only did. They only did two takes and they said they filled up the fake bodies. One was a sex doll like one of these high tech sex dolls and the other one was like a mannequin that they made and they filled them with the same amount of blood that you'd get in the human body. But they didn't realize how much blood would fire everywhere when they did it. So when they did the second take, they could only use some of the close ups and angles because they couldn't get the blood off of the ceilings and walls. Apparently they had stopped till the weight of the blood stopped dripping off the ceiling before they could do take two. That was just how much fake blood they used in this scene and it's a great scene and very unexpected, and I've not seen a death quite like that in horror movie before. So it's good. And obviously then we see it was Dave Grohl that's done it and he's got fangs now.
Gav: It's just quite yucky, though it's two people having sex and it splits them in half, so they are connected and then they're splitting up and it's a bit like that's kind of yucky.
Dan: Yeah, so he's got fangs, he's full on demon. Go back to the other guys. They find the book, they some demons start coming out after them Quite creepy looking, sort of black shadow demons. They chase them back up the stairs. Dave says to Taylor I know the end of the song is all in the drums. Mate, it's all in the drums, I just need you to do your drums.
Gav: Because I told Taylor, ok, I've got, I'll just keep him amused by record, making him record my drums. And he's mucking up on purpose. And he even says to you are you getting this wrong on purpose? It's easy, I've told you.
Dan: He says come on, man, we're both drummers, Speak the same language.
Gav: I'm surprised he doesn't say get the fuck out of the way. I'll do it, to be honest.
Dan: Yeah, Prince would have done that.
Gav: Yeah, I just make the whole album myself.
Dan: That's what happens. And he says why don't I stop for a little bit and we go and get Chris to do his? And he's like Chris is finished. But what he means is Chris is finished, finished as well. It's great, great little stuff going on here. But now, nate and Pat, they go and hide underneath the decking and they start reciting the passage. While this is happening, he's. Taylor stands up and he says well, you've done it. Dave picks up the symbol for his visa, doesn't he go?
Gav: Oh, that's such a good shot into the mouth. And then the rest of his top head stays there above the symbol and to the wall and rest of it just drops to the floor. You're right, john Copter is down as engineer, but really he looks like he's playing the producer part, so it's strange.
Dan: Yeah, he's one of a couple of engineers. So, yeah, no, no, taylor's sadly been killed. Weirdly, he was not long after this movie came out that he actually died. So very strange. Not with a symbol, though, in my dad. So yeah, pattern eight, their shit in themselves underneath the deck in trying to read these, this text out, and they see Dave coming over and they just shit themselves. They don't even try and hide, they just start running because they've seen Dave roll putting body parts.
Gav: Yeah, they hide the way they hide on this thing and I came. What's he doing? The all-sun, it's like a fargo in the far original Fargo movie.
Dan: He's full on wood in this body part Also reminds me of that hilarious scene in Tucker and Dale where that guy accidentally runs into a wood chipper.
Gav: So Groudon is growling. He's got bit like big sharp teeth and it's really very 80s kind of monstery demon type thing. Not really a werewolf, but he's got hairy feather. Anyway, he's long hair.
Dan: Well, my note, my notes now refer to him as dead. I'm looking dead I'd day, because he's like the dead ice removal.
Gav: dead essentially is pretty much the other dead movie, yeah, and I'm happy with that.
Dan: So they read the passages, they realize they need holy water. So they go to the swimming pool, they bless the water by reading out more of these passages and all they've got to do is get him in the water. He's trying to stop them and they just say we want Dave back and he's like Dave's gone, dave's no more, you know, and it's all that usual stuff that you hear. It's great. Nate reads more from the book and some energy shoots out of the book, hitting Dave growl in mid-air as he's flying at them. He lands in the swimming pool and we get the evil dead poster recreated now as he flies out of the swimming pool. It's like the, the first evil dead person. When the girl comes out the ground, yeah, there's loads of leaves in the swimming pool. He rises out of the pool and he seems normal. He starts puking up blood. They say oh, I think that was Chris, you've just puked up there. Oh, because there's loads of chunks of meat in it and it's disgusting. He's obviously he's been in his friend. But then the meat, the blood all turns into a blob.
Gav: I know it's just like you're puking up your buddy. It's pretty fucking disgusting. And then it starts turning to someone.
Dan: Yeah, and to the guard know who actually turns out to be the lead singer of demon widow who hung himself, who was the original possessed person. So him and. Dave have a full-on WWE smackdown now, don't they? I like throwing each other down. It's not like fisticuffs or martial arts, it's like Lumping each other around like proper wrestling.
Gav: It's really. It's a weird thing here, because I kind of feel like I'm happy of the movie Finishing when Dave was cleared and they do not mean I'd be kind of happy with that as an ending. I know it probably doesn't tie up the story completely, but I would have been happy of it. It's okay, though, here, because it kind of still goes on afterwards. We still got a little bit to go.
Dan: Yeah, so the rest of his band show up. The rest of dream would oh show up. You've got Jenna or taiga, who played Wednesday in the series. Yeah, I think she was in one of the new screen movies, wasn't she's one.
Gav: Apparently that's the band. They look like the shit is banned.
Dan: Well, you know it was 1993, it was a band from 93, you know, look at what bands look like that then. But they show up and they say we'll take. Basically they say we'll take it from here. They grab him, jenna will take a pause his blood onto the book. The book has been fed and it kind of ends the curse really. But there is more, because they say let's get out of here, the car won't start. So poor Pat, always lying down, he has to lie down underneath the car to try and get the wires to Start or something. I don't really know what he's doing. And while he's doing that, nate's in the van trying to start it. Yeah. And pat his pat's head is right under the tire gap, isn't it?
Gav: It's the weirdest place to be for a star is like you should, yeah.
Dan: What happens? Well, bob shows up and Jeff shows up, and it does start to just drag a little for me at this point.
Gav: Yeah, yeah, this ending. Yeah, it should have finished by now.
Dan: That's the problem essentially, dave Grohl has an argument and then a fight with Jeff Garland. Jeff Garland reveals he has been trying to sacrifice bands To this book and he knew what about it and he sent them there on purpose. While that's all happening, nate gets impaled in the eye, runs over and crushes Pat's head and then he backs into Barb who then Stabs him in the neck, I think, and all of them die. So the whole of the food photos are dead now. But Dave Grohl, dave starts strangling Jeff and he says you finished the song, didn't you? I knew it. Now it's time for your solo career. And then it cuts to one year later and it's the Dave Grohl show. And then I almost a growl. You're on stage in 30 seconds and you just see he's got those possessed eyes and that's kind of the end. Really it feels like an ending to another movie I've seen where somebody, somebody gets powers and they kind of go off and I can't remember what movie is now. But that's the end. So the ending is a bit weak for me. But I Absolutely enjoyed this fucking movie all the way through and I think Watch it, because the first time you watch something whilst reviewing it, it's difficult to Sit back and enjoy it as much, because I'm writing my notes. So I'm gonna go back and watch this again in a few months with my feet up, you know, in a nice cup of tea or something, and really just chill out, and I think I'll probably enjoy it a little more. I will say as much as I enjoyed it. I feel like maybe it was slightly overhyped and but maybe it's just the ending. That's the weak part. I enjoyed everything leading up to that ending. Yeah, this is the second time you've seen it.
Gav: Now, right, that was the second. I started watching a half of it and then I stopped on the review so I did a second one, but in the week actually I started watching it again just in the daytime I had it. I was just in the flat sort of doing stuff. I put I was I look a posterior 66 on again. I was kind of enjoying it again.
Dan: Yeah, it's very easy to watch. You can tune in and out of it. Alice asked me to say Her thoughts on it, which was because she watched most of it with me. She loves, she absolutely loves Dave, dave. Well, I think they're probably her favorite band, she. She said she thinks it's incredibly well produced and she said the dialogue was one of her favorite things. She said it feels very Kevin Smith, the dialogue in this. And she said and you can make sure you say that on your podcast. That's all I'm. I'm crediting her for that and I can see that there are some of the conversations around water world and things like that. They are very Kevin Smith style comments and stuff like that great movie. I Wanted a little bit more from the ending. Yeah, as much, but but the use of sort of 80% practical effects, all the love that, the horror love that's poured into every scene, coupled with very funny natural dialogue, I just are genuinely good story. You know about a band. You know I haven't seen a movie like this since the old Rock movies that used to come out, like the one you mentioned. And is it purple roses or is that the one? Blood tracks? Oh, I don't know. There's a bunch of them Ricky Morgan shouting at me at the moment because him and Quasarops have covered several of these yeah, it's great and I would love to know what those guys think and I'd love to know what you guys think. So if you guys have seen this, let me and Gav know what you think. It's a new movie. You know it's on UK Netflix now, if anyone's got it and if you're a fan of the old Heavy Metal horror movies and you tell us what you think. How does this compare, you know, but I had a blast with it. I'm really you're a bastard. You are because and this is giving showing my cards a little bit for the next movie as well but your birthday episodes, you always get me and you always managed to pick a couple of movies that are both fucking good and you've done it. You've done it with your birthday and I'm glad, and it for me it's special because this is the first watch.
Gav: And the next movie is a first-watch for you as well, sorcerer, it is indeed it is, and that's, that's, that's gonna be a conversation, fuck it all.
Dan: Well, it's definitely a thumbs up from from me and, I should imagine, from you, gav, for this one. Yeah, check it out. Studio 666. It's a blast. It's a Friday night movie and it'll probably go down as a bit of a cult movie over the years, I should imagine Also. And then lovely. Send-off for Taylor Hawkins because it was his, you know, obviously, the last film he was in. He's more known for his music, but the last film he was in so and he's brilliant. He comes across brilliant in this, one of my favorite characters, alongside Pat in this. Really so, yeah, good stuff, yeah, well done, well done. Who fighters? Well done, well done. Um, right so.
Gav: I guess it's a little bit of a World of strange, is that Bill? Oh, he's brought me a little bit of a he's brought.
Dan: He's brought Paul Rudd with him, wow.
Gav: No, but they're not allowed to talk no, of course not, I don't understand why this whole non-talk and it's non-n da thing we've got going on here.
Dan: Look how handsome Paul Rudd is. What? What is your secret pool? How would you stay looking like you're 20 all the time? What moisturize it? I don't know. Bill Murray is. Oh god, don't look Right. Okay, bill, take us into world of the strange, you disgusting man. Hi, welcome back oh. Thank you for that. Bill Murray and Paul Rudd, great stuff to have you both here, although can't speak to us.
Gav: They had a.
Dan: Murray Rudd time. A Murray red Murray ready time. Yeah, um, so I've got one story and it's a very, very recent story and I warn you now it's going to send you down a rabbit hole, if you want to, watching videos and reaction videos and tiktoks. It's about something that happened in a Miami shopping center on New Year's Day. I don't know if you've heard of this guy this year. Yeah, yes, yes.
Gav: No.
Dan: Okay, so aliens caught on camera.
Gav: Really.
Dan: A large fight broke out, the police say, at a shopping mall on news day. But people are speculating the police are covering up an alien invasion. So we'll get into this. Um, because there are. There's a lot of video footage, cctv footage room inside the shopping center and there's a couple of theories and some interesting facts, things that don't add up. So there's a viral video showing heavy police presence at Bayside marketplace Shopping mall in Miami on New Year's Day. As I've said, many speculating that it's aliens Visited the mall. But what is it? What's going on? So the the police say. The police said they came out Because they'd heard reports that there was a fight between around 50 Teenagers who had fireworks and potentially firearms on them and they were shooting fireworks and causing all sorts of Um, trouble and noise and scaring all the people who were shopping. Um, so the police ended up doing something which they don't do unless there's like a terrorist attack or a major incident they called for every single officer and car On duty to come to the shopping mall. So the entire Miami police department came out and you can see this on the video footage. There are hundreds of police cars.
Gav: What was the inciting incident which sparked them to come out? What was the thing thrown out at them over the radio then? What was?
Dan: I I'm not. I'm not sure, other than there are reports of firearms and fireworks going off in the shopping mall.
Gav: And just everybody go. There.
Dan: Uh, everybody go there, so that that's not normal Is it that is a terrorist incident, say 9, 11, top Exactly.
Gav: It's not normal Not saying I'm not getting into that if that's terrorist or is that high war, any of that shit. I'm not getting into it, I'm just saying.
Dan: It's a big event.
Gav: I don't need to do that.
Dan: So there's lots of video footage you can watch on youtube and anywhere else you want to, of all these cops Coming to this. You know, for the so-called fight between some teenagers. That's a lot of police officers, for just what they're saying is 50 teenagers. However, witnesses are saying there were no teenagers fighting and if there were, there were any, a handful of them, they said. What was happening was there was a riot, people were running and trying to get out of the shopping center because Something was in there. Now, there's two parts to this. The first part is there's on the some of the video footage you can see what looks like 10 to 12 foot Aliens or beings.
Gav: Well, I'm gonna have to while you're telling me, looking up, aren't I?
Dan: Walking around the front of the shopping mall with the police spotlights on them, really tall, very strange. So many eyewitnesses and people would have videoed this. The second part of this Is something some CCTV footage from inside the shopping center which shows people running from the right of the screen to the left, screaming and shouting and panicking and what looks to be a portal of some kind opening up and a creature stepping out of it like a 10 foot creature, just off the camera, just off the screen, coming out of that portal and some kind of energy blasts coming out of the portal firing towards the crowd that are running away. So the police have issued a video statement, which again you can watch online, of a police officer kind of laughing a little bit, say I can assure you there are no aliens, this isn't men in black, it was a bunch of teenagers, and he kind of explains why they were called out. But he says I know everybody thinks it's aliens, but it wasn't. But the fact they've had to issue this is a bit, for me, feels a bit cover upy and the fact that that many police officers came out it loads. It's a lot of police, isn't it? You're looking at it now.
Gav: I'm looking at an aerial view of just a lot of cop cars.
Dan: Yeah, and so, like I said, there's two parts that's. One part is that the creatures that are seen outside that are look to be about 10 to 12 foot tall, and the video, the cctv footage inside the shopping mall. They move so weirdly, they sort of glide. I think the only thing about this, sarah.
Gav: This is only this is only a few weeks ago.
Dan: And then, if you look at if you get a chance, maybe not now, but if you can there's cctv footage inside the shopping mall of people running, like I said, from right to left of camera and some kind of energy portals seems to appear. It's bad, it's very rough footage, but you can see some kind of energy portal appear and something seems to come out of it and there's energy beams firing at the crowd. So this has been like All over the internet for the last few weeks. Everybody's talking about it. Police have issued numerous statements. Okay, and what is their statement? Well, they've said it was just it's not what you say. It was that those what you're talking about, our teenagers with their shadows. But they're not shadows. You can see that they're very big Things. I don't know what they are.
Gav: Yeah, why would aliens they be wanting to show themselves?
Dan: Well, let me tell you the last part of it. If you take the exact GPS coordinates of this particular random, very normal shopping center in Miami and you can see that, and you put them into Google Maps, reversed, it takes you to the center of Antarctica, which is, and you can't view that on Google Maps it's blacked out because we don't know. There's hundreds of reasons why there's a secret base there. There's aliens living there amongst us, but basically the weirdest thing about this for me is if you take those coordinates and reverse them, you go back to Antarctica, so that tied in with the portal. It's led a lot of people to believe they accidentally Portalled themselves to this shopping center.
Gav: Are you telling me frank and bob the aliens? Right, you two? You just got a fucking go to Antarctica.
Dan: Okay, that's all you've got to do. They're all wet in for you there having a little party.
Gav: It's your fifth time of being an alien in alien universe Workland and you give me a little cake in a party. They're waiting for you. It's a surprise, but just be surprised. Okay, that's all you got to do is get there.
Dan: One, two, three, four, five, five four, three, two, one. I'm sure he said the equivalent of beer.
Gav: some butt head as aliens and they've just gone there. So they and you look at them, it's both one. Yeah, okay, there we are. There are we as aliens?
Dan: we're in a shopping center. Oh, this isn't Antarctica. Fuck, we fucked up. Either that or they meant to go there, and either way that that's a very strange coincidence.
Gav: But no, they, they didn't. But I don't know. I don't want to this isn't my other podcast. If you want to want to hear me going off on one about this stuff, listen to the whole strange this podcast.
Dan: So the to tie this up, no teenagers were seen running eye. Witnesses said they didn't see any fight source here, any fireworks or guns. Um, they said that they stopped air traffic over that part of the city for the whole night and all that was seen was those black military choppers. You know, the ones that appear when Dodgy ships going on, like if you try and get to certain parts of the Grand Canyon, because apparently there's ancient Egyptian stuff and I say Egyptian, you heard me Ancient, weird Egyptian stole tombs in the Grand Canyon's. If you go, try and go into some of these caves, black choppers appear immediately and you get taken off by guys in suits and Taken back to the the checkpoint and they say you're not like any anywhere near here. So these black choppers were the only thing in the sky this night. No more air traffic was allowed, all the Uh roads were shut and every single on-duty police officer in Miami came out. Um, all because some teenagers were allegedly having a fight.
Gav: There's no one got actually any mobile phone for it, because someone would. I know they're panicking running, but you know what people are like. Everyone would have been filming. Why have we not seen anyone person? Because there wasn't really anybody, they were Someone by the film day because there wasn't really anybody in there.
Dan: This is the point. They're saying there was a bunch of teenagers in there, but there wasn't. The police are just saying that as a cover-up. This is why they called out every single cop in the in the city.
Gav: What's the gunfire? Now I see people running for gunfire. Is that because they're shooting at the aliens?
Dan: Well, some. Apparently somebody had some fireworks. But if again, if you look at the CCTV footage that's taken from inside the shopping mall, there are some kind of weird energy blasts coming out of this portal. Now, maybe it's that that's making the noise, maybe it's the aliens, I'm not sure. But they're saying it's a huge brawl, but there's no evidence of this brawl. What there is evidence of is every cop panicking and going to the shopping center, some 10 foot creatures walking around and a portal Opening up inside, and then, coupled with the fact that it sounds hard to cause, coordinates backwards, what's going on in Miami, gav? Yeah, I'm going to Miami.
Gav: Maybe they off to get Will Smith.
Dan: So, um, maybe Will Smith was in men and black and he sang the Miami song and independence day. So the story the police have is that someone threw a bottle at a car and it started a fight between some Teenagers. But again, there's not really any evidence of this. They say they've arrested some teenagers who were laid to Set free, but they've not given any names. No one was injured. It's just a very lazy story. What really happened inside the shopping center? And I wanted to bring this up because it's a sort of news story now I didn't know and I'm so happy you brought this up. I'm going back and I'm checking on this story every few days because it only happened a month ago, not even that, you know, a few weeks ago. So I'm like, what's next? What's next? So, yeah, check out, check out the reaction videos. People break down the videos and zoom in, and especially that one that's inside the shopping center with the portal. That's the one that really is quite interesting. People are really breaking that down. But, like I said, what, what do you think about those coordinates? You know you're just flipping them and you end the back up in Antarctica, which is rumored for years to be Alien central. You know there's stuff under the ice that's being covered up by the government. We're not allowed, you're not allowed, to fly over there. Nobody owns Antarctica. You know no one's allowed to fly over it. It's not allowed to be shown on google maps. All of this kind of stuff like what is going on. Gav Aliens, what is it?
Gav: We are just, just, basically just Civilizations after civilization on top of each other. The water comes along, drowns us all, floods us all Freezes, then we start building, start going again and just keep going. I've lay out and lay out and lay out of civilizations and I don't know.
Dan: But. But you've just watched, so you describe you. You've just watched some of the footage. Do you describe to our listeners what, what you've seen there?
Gav: I can only see the chaos. I can see very like A high up bird in the eye, helicopter, top view looking downwards and outwards, and just looks like a Christmas tree lit up. And it's not. It's every one of those little light bulbs, in fact police cars, um, it's a mass of man at the cops and then like there's just hectic nurse people running away from you would imagine it's a gunfire. That's sort of thing they're running from because they'll be used to it. You know that that thing breaking out, um, and but you do see this, these two kind of like, if you've seen the chicken video, the little kid did the chicken dance with a pants on his head, but it's at night, if you and they thought is there's an alien? And this kid's like, no, it's me. They look like two of the chicken-headed kids are kind of walking along. Actually funny enough.
Dan: It's weird.
Gav: It almost looks CGI the way they walk, though, but it looks so shit CGI that it could be nowadays because our CGI is too good. Even AI you could do. Your grand could Make a great thing they look like the um.
Dan: you know the inflatable wacky wailing men that you get outside Places that they're on um family guy lot. You know the wacky inflatable. They look a bit like those things walking along, don't they?
Gav: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's, it's strange.
Dan: I suggest spending an hour or so lying in bed just watching videos on this cab. It is a great rabbit hole to go down and it's one that I'm still in right now. Yeah, there's loads. The reaction videos are great. People go off on crazy there's. There's one more part to it that our buddy, r J McCready, brought to my attention, which is somebody else said that that portal or potentially could be something to do with the time loop, because there's reports that a similar incident happened something like 20 years ago. Exactly the same thing happened. Every cop car came out. Now I can't find any news on this, but there is definitely stories of people saying it's a loop and these aliens have just gone back and recreated or something. I don't know. But so there's loads of theories time travel, portals, 10 foot aliens, kids with fireworks. Who knows what it was. All I know is, if will Smith holds up a shiny silver dildo and asked you to look at it, shut your eyes, indeed, oh, but you could look at it if you want. It's probably something to do with Scientology, but it's.
Gav: It's a weird fucking thing. Uh, I didn't know anything about it.
Dan: It's exciting. What are your final thoughts before bill Murray takes it away?
Gav: I don't know, because there's this whole UFO things going on. It's like there's I've gone on to this on my other show is there's so many thoughts it, but like that's a weird one, like there's one way of looking at it, like it's a complete cover up for something else going on, and the government side just starts telling them that show miss footage, stuff stopped, you know, because they're doing something really sketchy. They're trying to miss directors. Yeah, maybe, um, but that's this. This seems a bit over the top if they were. Well, I mean the amount of shit trying to hide it and get under the rug seems a bit weird for him to do that. So it's a bit like so what is? I don't know, I can't tell you. Is it real? I don't know. There's some weird shit going on there.
Dan: The sheer amount of police officers that would get attended. That incident is just nuts.
Gav: That's true, like seeing that footage from all the helicopters and all the different news outlets that they're doing it. They're not all like jointly, like don't let's pretend this happened and that showing that footage of that. Obviously I can't see anything else. It's very hard now. They's living with the internet and Everyone has a phone in their pockets. That's why we see in my so much more stuff. But so many people can do fake stuff and it's so hard now, like getting excited by stuff.
Dan: Yeah, that's the problem.
Gav: This has excited me. I do need to know more about it and I reckon that my next show with Sarah of the high exchanges podcast episode I might have to have a little talk about this beforehand, please do.
Dan: Well, there we go. That's uh Miami aliens going shopping on the use day.
Gav: Thanks, that's like a little birthday treat for me there we go.
Dan: Merry birthday to you right up my. Right Bill, if you could stop using whatever that is to moisturize Paul Rudd's face. What is that? Oh my god, it's true.
Gav: I see.
Dan: I'll Take us away.
Gav: That's all the time we've got for this weekend, where it was strange. Next week, though, give me iron careless pets weird.
Speaker 2: In 1971 William Friedkin directed the french connection. It received five academy awards, including best picture of the year. In 1974 he directed the exorcist. It made history. Since then, friedkin has spent over two years in five countries on three continents Creating his latest film, an unusual adventure into the realm of suspense. So so. Four men condemned by their past, robbed of their future, trapped in a life that was also a death, four men take an incredible chance, face an impossible challenge and risk the only thing they have left to lose. Roy Shider in a new film by William Friedkin sorcerer.
Gav: Sorcerer from 1977. Two hours and one minute, four unfortunate men from different parts of the globe agree to risk their lives Transporting gallons of nitroglycerin across dangerous Latin American jungle. What, who thought of this? Originally a book?
Dan: Yes.
Gav: Is where the idea came from. I you know you're here for movies and for, fortunately, if you are a book person, uh, I am not the person to have conversations with. This was for my book. That's all I can really Tell you. The tagline die really hard. That's the tagline Like die hard, die really hard die really hard. Is it like die hard five? Drive really hard.
Dan: I'm sick, though, wouldn't it Jesus.
Gav: Then it was uh, uh, reem, uh, not remade. It was originally made in France. Uh, what was the movie called for? That see. The wages of fear, that's it. I didn't get chance to watch the film. Um, I was going to, it just didn't happen. I didn't even realize, you see, and I was like, oh okay, um, I Like I said I originally thought this film was like some one of the sword and sorcery type, early 80s fantasy type for films and, um, I Didn't know really anything about this and I knew there's that sort of picture in the front cover. But then I sort of found out it wasn't horror movie, because obviously, you see, sorcerer William Friedkin, x this, you kind of think, oh, okay, it's horror, um, and then, just uh, I don't know what made me, oh, I was, uh in a shop and there's a blu-ray copy for sale, um, like a ten or something like that, like an arrow copy or I think it might been, or something I don't know, and I was like, oh shit, uh, uh, fuck it, I'm gonna, I'm gonna pick it up on a blind, blind by type sort of thing. I'm gonna blow away by this. Just because of, just because I know William Friedkin is an old school filmmaker. He likes to do is this in camera, it's this, it's just old school. He's really like we're gonna, we're gonna, he's one of those like Francis Ford couple of types we people might die but we're gonna get the film made, type people you know yeah, and it's the, so something to talk about really is.
Dan: This film is made in 77, so that year I was born and it's my birthday.
Gav: Yeah, I thought that's funny.
Dan: Um, so that time, that time in filmmaking, is a very special, like the mid 70s to the late 70s.
Gav: It's a bit of the world rest a little bit for big players, isn't it?
Dan: Yeah, and William Friedkin was definitely one of these guys. People push the boundaries, not like Shockingly, like they didn't shock people, they just pushed. They really got behind there. They believed in their project, that they were directing or producing whatever it was, and really it's very special stuff that came out at this time and this has a real um deliverance Sort of vibe to it. There is some parts of it that you can really feel the exorcist as well. He has a real signature. Friedkin obviously directed the french connection and it's just a very great. This is a very grounded um, not even adventure. This is a An exercise in fucking tension. Man, this film, particularly Midway through act two and all the way through act three, this film is a full-on tension session. You will be so tense so I advise you now, if you haven't seen sorcerer, stop Go watch it. Don't listen to us because we're gonna probably spoil it right from the beginning. Um, not that there's a huge amount to spoil, but the tense scenes. And will they or won't they? Because they're not very nice guys. All of the guys in this are all baddies, um, and we don't, you know, we don't know. We don't know who the hero is.
Gav: We guess it's Roy Schneider, because he's right, because he is, uh, the, uh, the white american. Yeah, I know you say that but, that would be the only reason anyone would root for him. Or and they already know him, though we don't know the other actors so much- yeah.
Dan: So this film left me feeling. First of all, it's my first time watch I was blown away, absolutely blown away by this. This now is up there for me in. It's not quite a film, gods movie, but it's up there, uh, and makes me realize how good William Friedkin is, because I forgot how good the french connection is. I now want to go back and rewatch that. You know, obviously the axis, one of my favorite horror films all time cruising cruising. I haven't seen that, but you know you've watched that it's. It's a great movie, great performances. What's incredible about this movie more than any of what the things I've just mentioned forget the people Is where they shot it, the locations, the effects in 70s. Think about the size of the cameras exactly, you know, in them, the rope, bridges, uh, the cover of the sort of the valleys they had to cross, the trees, not like apocalypse.
Gav: Now where we, we we have that a credible documentary. Uh, and soon the darkness as such a great documentary, luckily, if once for a. Coppola's daughter is like you know, you take camera and film what loads what film, all this stuff, so like it. Unfortunately we don't for this. There's nothing on the exercise, that which is a show.
Dan: No, but there is a hell of a story behind this which involves at least 50 of the crew getting gangrene and malaria and Friedkin himself got um malaria and he lost um 50 pounds. Um, he didn't find out until he was at the premiere. He was very weak and people suffered. But you, but I tell you what you can see. It, you can see it and it adds and I'm not saying people should suffer for their art.
Gav: To make a film discussed we discussed recently in the episodes of deaf infants in the month.
Dan: Yeah, how should be avoided and obviously health and safety was very different in 1977 or 76 probably, when this was shot. But my god, the blood, sweat and tears that went into making this really feel at Weirdly also gave me, um, a bit of a vibe of that. That uh, uh twilight zone segment with the yeah, do you know what I mean with the? Um, that's quite a hit thing. Who died and stuff? Um, what a film Gav what? Like I said earlier, you're a bit of a bastard because you've managed again. You pick two fucking great films, neither of which I've seen but this one. This is a real Film, a real film like you sit down and this there's no fucking about. This is a great story, great performances, and I must admit it took me by surprise because it's took its time to get going once I realized the setup which To jump to that just now is for not very nice guys from various parts of the world that all end up in this little village In venezuela because they're hiding their life from their lives, their terrorists, their conmen, their, you know, gangsters. This is like, basically, industrial door. When they want to go and live in El Rey in Mexico, this is the place and then they have an opportunity which brings them together to transport this nitroglycerin 280 miles, I think it is and they're all going to get like 20 000 dollars, which is a lot of money. It means they can buy a passport and they can live freely within this the country and not live in poverty. That's all the story is. It's so simple. But because of that, I've never seen something quite like that before. Fucking hell man, the tension, just fucking. Yeah, I've got a big yes.
Gav: Yes, everything you say is correct. Um, it's a great film. Um, I don't. I. Yeah. As soon as I watched it, I was like we've got to talk about this.
Dan: I've got to be honest, only heard about it Four or five years ago, then you started talking about it a year or so ago maybe, and since watching it I've realized it's considered an absolute classic, a must watch if you like cinema of any kind. Um, and you know posting, oh, I'm watching this tonight. Everybody's like this is in my top films of all time. This is my favorite film of all time. People are I'm like where have I been? How have I not? How is this not in my viewing? It's new for me too, though.
Gav: So, um yeah, it starts off with like a whole sort of thing, I sort of jet-setting back and forth. I'm not not getting Completing to, I'm just saying very quickly William Friedkin himself said that he I did it to kind of big grand scale before Getting into it and he feels like he sort of he should not have gone so like that. Do you know what I mean? We sort of shows this really like kind of James Bondi in some way, just about the same Very massive set pieces but at least four of them so, um, we're not all massive. I suppose the explosion obviously is, which just looks crazy, but we'll get to that. But he says, like you know, he feels like he sort of spent a bit too long. I think, on that as well. You know just that part before getting into the main bit of it himself. But but it I like it's in there, like it's you're reading a book or you're really getting into and obviously this what came from a book. But you're really getting into it and you got to notice the characters and this is like a big but you have to know almost how despicable these people are, almost because you don't Root for them but you kind of do because you want it's like the get, it's like a football match or something, it's a whatever entertains your human beings in the world. It's like we want to see this dynamic get across, but the chances it might blow up is quite fun. So we don't really root for these characters because they're all cunts in their own way and and going back to Friedkin, and here's the grand design that you had for this.
Dan: You know, because it starts off in these these very um, just really amazing countries and locations, real places as well. You know, this is it what this reminded me of, before we get into the jungles, where it's all just trees and ravines. And you know, what it reminded me of is the, the opening of the exorcist, which was huge, grand scale in iraq. You know, they're doing that dig and it's all very like they've gone there, like in indiana jones, where they go to these deserts and they film for real in these places. You know, and it's just so good. But it took me Minutes. I thought, oh, I'm not sure if I'm gonna like this because I'm not quite sure what's happening. But if you stick at the story, it's quite a straightforward story. You just got to know these four characters and where they go and why they're doing what they do. But I think the languages will put people off. That's what makes elevates this they're all speaking individual languages because they're all in different countries as well.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: Oh.
Gav: It's great, um, fun enough to quick segue, excuse me. Um, I've he's on netflix actually, so I've put on my list and I'm gonna, when I get a moment to go an afternoon, all good, just sit and watch that. I've never seen it. I've watched lots of arabia.
Dan: Oh yeah, that's good, it's supposed to be very good. Um, I would also say, before we get into this story this is the best performance I've ever seen from Roy Schneider. He's incredible in this. Yeah he's really good in there, carries the whole film.
Gav: Well, all of them. You can see the desperation and you could just see how hard and tiring it must have been to shoot this fucking film. We should Sanchimune, we, we, we would go over by a few hours in the woods. That's not anything really.
Dan: But we will go.
Gav: Oh my god, I'm weak. It's one in the morning, god, I'm so tired. Everybody eat biscuits, damn you. We must keep going, you know? Uh, this wasn't this, this wasn't lorry's going down mudslid, fucking ravines, I had a fuck. What happens when the lorry gets stuck? If you got a crane, come in, take it out. What the fuck?
Dan: and they built the bridges, you know.
Gav: I wish I knew more of the backstory.
Dan: They. Well, there's some really good trivia on. If you go on IMDB, there's Lots of trivia about how they built the bridges with hydraulics and but yet obviously still things would go wrong because it was the 70s and they were out in the middle of nowhere. Like you said, if someone went wrong, they had to wait for someone to come out and do this or do that.
Gav: Everybody got malaria Everyone was bitten by things you know and think like they wouldn't have a mobile phone. They could just ring somewhere else back home. There's not gonna be a phone when they're out there. They're out there, so they'd be sending messengers.
Dan: It's just just crazy really, and I don't know how long they were out there filming this.
Gav: It's just we've let's get into this film, because a very small budget as well. I would just say Did you see what the budget was?
Dan: It was, let me get back to it now.
Gav: This is good for me, because I don't really know this film myself. I watched it and went fuck me, we've got to do this film.
Dan: Sure it said it was a and that's why we're here. Uh, two and a half million budget, that I see, which is very, really small.
Gav: That's like that had been then looked upon as like a very low budget. I know it's 77, but that still would have been looked upon fairly low budget.
Dan: Yeah, so it's two and a half million budget. Um, that's radic, how? Um, oh sorry, that's what they wanted, and then it ended up spilling to Because lots of stuff kept going wrong. It ended up going to 15 million in the end, so a bit more. But, um, yeah, great and tangerine dream coming along and doing this score.
Gav: What the fuck like it's the thing is this movie, even though it's not a horror movie, does a night. It feels like a nightmare. I don't have nightmares. I've not had a nightmare for many years. I occasionally have them hardly at all, or dreams in general, anyway, which is very sad. I wish I had my dreams again, daniel.
Dan: Um.
Gav: I could dream of being a pink butterfly.
Dan: And give you a wet dream later, if you like.
Gav: No, you can't give that to me, though I have to give it to myself, don't I?
Dan: Well, if you're asleep, I can do something to you.
Gav: No, literally, I don't know what I'm talking about.
Dan: Um, you said tangerine dream and you said this feels like, like you are my podcast in haste.
Gav: Um, this feels like a nightmare, or I imagine remember what nightmares would like, because it's just a whole like Stuck. You know there's porn if rain, the claustrophobia. But then tangerine dream just steps in and goes we're just gonna make some really weird fucking prog rock type of shit going on in the background to make you go. The fuck is going on.
Dan: And the the word sorcerer will throw, like you said.
Gav: One of the trucks.
Dan: Yeah, they named the trucks Lazarus and the other one sorcerer. And sorcerer is an evil wizard of fate, and Freakin said the reason they called it that was because the one the big baddie in this whole movie is fate, and how, every turning they're trying to do something else fucks up and they just cannot catch a break.
Gav: Yeah, they, it didn't do well it didn't. And the thing is, though, I think sorcerer according to sorcerer is was the wrong thing If they had called it fucking. I don't.
Dan: I don't want to jungle drive Explosions through the jungle jungle drive sounds like a rock movie between Johnson, doesn't it? Have you seen that new dwayne johnson movie, jungle drive? It's great what happens in it, him and johnny noxfield driving through the jungle or explosions in the jungle or something like that. Or road bridge or something. Yeah.
Gav: Yeah, yeah, that with that front cover, you could have thrown it as a nightmare. Yeah, absolutely, that's perfect. Yeah, um, and I think that's probably where Did it wrong. But at that point, though, really in freaking at this point, though, is at the top of his fucking game. He's untouchable. So he just went and he's proud of it. This is the film that he wanted to make. So fuck it.
Dan: This is his favorite film of his career.
Gav: Good on him, he did it yeah fuck it. He got to the point where he could declare what he wanted and go and make it and do it and People went along with him. All these characters and what a great cast and what great actors.
Dan: Yeah, fantastic. So I'm as great as he, roy Schneider as a baddie.
Gav: It's weird to be weird having rob Schneider as the lead, but anyway, let's get into it, let's get into this, let's get into this.
Dan: So we get the exorcist font. So we, of course, like just like John Carpenter's got his own font for his movies, william freaking seems to have his own font for this movie. It's covered, followed on from the exorcist, and we are in A place called Vera Cruz in Mexico. That's where we open up and we see a man assassinated in a hotel room and we see some guys who have been. They've come out of the After the assassination and they make a run for it and then a bomb goes off.
Gav: Where were we just in, though? Because I know, I know then we're in Jerusalem before the, that we have the, the explosion and the guys on the bus, but what do you say? Because I missed it and I think yeah, Vera Vera Cruz in Mexico. Mexico.
Dan: Yeah, okay so they're. Jerusalem. Yeah, cut to Jerusalem in Israel. And there's some Palestinian militants who were disguised as Jews in amongst the crowds and they have a bomb, and the bomb goes off. Wow, wow, that's a great ocean. It's there.
Gav: What the fuck, there's people just really getting thrown and it's like whoa shit.
Dan: Again, there's something so gritty about filmmaking in this this time period. Yeah. Yeah, um, because that. This is on film as well you know, yeah, exactly, yeah, it just looks real Um, but these guys walk out, walk off, and they run off and they split up to them, get killed Um by the army, um the Israeli defense, and the other two managed to get onto a bus and escape um. One of these men is kaseem um, who is going to be one of our four Nitroglycerin transporters.
Gav: That could be named the movie.
Dan: That would be. That would be jason statham.
Gav: It would be.
Dan: Nitroglycerin transporter.
Gav: Nitroglycerin transporter, or I'm Jason Statham Listen.
Dan: I've got to get this Explosive stuff from A to fucking B, right? I don't care how many trees are in my way, and if you're on my way, I'm going to chop you down like a fucking tree. Sunshine, yes.
Gav: Speaking of B, I'm in the beekeeper. Now I am the beekeeper. I've not said I will watch it. I will watch it because you know what you get when you get Jason Statham film ready and I'm like, yeah, fine kicking everyone's ass.
Dan: So, yeah, these guys, the bomb goes off, but the police Kill all but one of them, kaseem, and he escapes and there's a riot outside, huge riot happens that police, the police raid when they go in.
Gav: The way it's shot is is like role-playing games we play now with cordial duty. It's it's shot like that hand out a real going in with the cops and stuff and it's like what the fuck? The cameras would have been big and shit and it's just the way it's been filmed is like how have you done this?
Dan: It really reminded me of the raid and that there's the way that they go into the building at the beginning. It feels so gritty and real.
Gav: You're there with them going in Do you know what I mean it really was? Um, it's just so, so impressed with it. Just the way the cameras move went like that.
Dan: Yeah, so so far we've met nilo, who's the, the guy that executed the man in mexico. We've met kaseem, who set the bomb off in the field hit man a bomber. On a bomber or a terrorist. And now we're in my toes. Now we're in paris and this is where we're gonna meet. Uh, victor Victor is with his wife.
Gav: He doesn't seem too bad a person. I think he's not Not so bad out of them. Uh, out of the four.
Dan: Yeah, he's probably. He's like a money embezzler, isn't he?
Gav: Yeah, he's not really trying to uh Stitch any. What we're like? Obviously rory's like a fucking driver for a church Hit robbery which we can't you know. So that's a bit mean, but but that's a bit mean, um, but yeah, he, he speaks to his wife.
Dan: I think the the thing for him is is that he's got such a loving wife and a child and he just throws, he just abandons them to save his own skin. And I think that's his sort of sin, because his wife gives him an anniversary watch with his you know happy anniversary engraved on it, and then he finds out there's some issues with money, doesn't he? Um, yeah, His brother his brother-in-law.
Gav: And he helps.
Dan: Yeah, and he says to his brother-in-law you need to speak to your dad. His father-in-law, um, and he needs to help us with this because I, I'm going to go to prison, um, if I can't prove my innocence in this, like money laundering, whatever it is, in the next 24 hours. Well, pascal, his brother-in-law then kills himself, blows his brain.
Gav: So Well, let's, let's, let's go back to the very quick. So this guy, um, has claimed to have false possessions of 15 million. Yeah, so it's basically fraud. So the investment company? Yeah, I've given him basically 24 hours all day so he's having dinner with his wife and family. It's just sort of sitting there and it's very nice place, as you can imagine. I it's not a sort of place I would eat out or ever eat out ready, but I'm I'm happy with that anyway. Um, uh, and the way it comes over says, oh, there's a someone here to speak to you, or whatever, or phone call, whether it is, is it a phone call or something I've seen I think someone comes to speak to him. It was, wasn't it? So it is, um, his, uh, probably not. And he gets up from the table, says I'll just be back in a minute there and it just goes off to normal. He's all very well presented this sort of this feather is and walks off to go see his Chats wait, this guy. And they sort of say you got to speak to get your dad to fucking sort this out, but, but, but, but. And he turns around to walk back and the guy in the in the background goes and gets his Porsche and in the foreground we've got this guy walk towards camera in the background all sitting blood out the rear window and he's burning his brains and he kind of realized this. You're like Fuck. And then you're like straight away, just like that dude's just left his wife. His wife has no idea. He can't go and sit back down and just go. Okay, let's just continue. There's like because of her, her Brother is outside. It's just brain, is got brains out.
Dan: Yeah, actually he doesn't have a child. But um, yeah, but but I think his sin. No, he doesn't, because later on that he's asked Do you have a children? He said no, but some day I want to. Um, but he, okay, no, he leaves it. So he, he just fucks off.
Gav: He just goes, and I said he never sees his wife again.
Dan: So his wife's gonna have to deal with her brother, who's just committed suicide in the car park, and the fact their husband's vanished because Anals this money and dollars. So yeah, so he he's not as bad, but he's still not good, not a good guy.
Gav: So so. So then we cut to America.
Dan: Yeah, we cut to New Jersey and we get an, an irish gang with um Roy Snyder in it, and they Are going into a church because they know that this church has a bingo game and there's loads of cash for the bingo. And they're gonna go straight the priests are counting All the cash apparently is based on a real thing's happened for real In, um, I think, new York or New Jersey.
Gav: I'm sure the churches have loads of cash, don't they? And it's all cash.
Dan: And what they do is they? They jump in, they get all the cash. One of the priests tries to fight back and they shoot the priests.
Gav: Now, what they don't realize is so did you see, though, that the people getting married and there's a woman getting married with a black eye- Forget no reason.
Dan: Just adds to the gritty.
Gav: Oh it just shows, because Sarah's like lovely and it's just like yeah there's a story there that we already know, don't we?
Dan: Yeah, like fuck and yeah and what adds to it more is we find out this this church is kind of looked after and owned by the Italian mafia. Yeah so that's probably why she's got the black eye. These aren't very nice guys. But also this this irish gang have shot. Not only if they robbed all the money, they've shot a priest who happens to be Um the brother of Carl Ricci, who is the Italian mafia kingpin of New Jersey.
Gav: Yeah, and they? They shouldn't have shot. There's a rick, wasn't? What's the reason I should do one of them go a bit trigger happy.
Dan: Yeah, one of them got a bit trigger happy and decided to do always one. There's always one. Now, they don't know this yet. Royce, no, doesn't know this yet, but so they're escaping. Yeah, it's just in the car waiting to drive and they're all bombing down the road in this car and Royce and I are driving and the guys start arguing with each other was an Irish fellow in the back and he's gonna piss that he's not getting as much as Someone else or whatever. He says are you a piece of shit? You are, and he was you're a piece of shit too. And they start sort of arguing a bit. This distract Roy.
Gav: Yeah, we pulls out his PC. So he says like no bad, but all the way, and is looking over his shoulder and just drives into lorry.
Dan: And this, this is a hell of a car crash, isn't it again?
Gav: It's ready.
Dan: They don't do it like that as well. Yeah well, the car flips and goes roof first, as it's flying through the air into a like a lamp post on a lorry then. All this blood starts yeah, which then washes all the blood out of the car.
Gav: And there's a blood everywhere and it's just yeah, there's people screaming and stuff. It's like whoa and um.
Dan: The only survivor is Roy Schneider, schneider, schneider, and he's a night, a survivor. He goes to meet his buddy, vinnie, um.
Gav: What are you singing? I'm singing the schnider survivor.
Dan: Okay.
Gav: It's like a. It's like a band um we could.
Dan: Roy schnider could have done like a cover band of schnider twain songs called schnider, schnider twain schnider twain schnider. They don't impress me much. Fucking hate that song.
Gav: Man, I feel like a woman Fucking hate, that Is that us as well, fuck yeah fuck uh, fuck uh. Oh, seriously, fuck you.
Dan: I'll better cancel the schnider twain stripper that I've got a few births of them.
Gav: Well.
Dan: Cool then.
Gav: Oh, so yeah.
Dan: Roy schnider. Jackie is guys who's called. He meets up this friend, vinnie, after all of this um, and Vinnie says to him you fucked up, you don't know about this church, who owns it, who the brother is that got shot. They're after you Taking out any of your fucking idiot because then we we see a, don't we, we see the the sort of the usual mafia boys sitting around there.
Gav: He's a cheat. Does anybody know?
Dan: does anybody know who killed, who shot my brother and he said, yeah, it was the irish gang. His name's jackie.
Gav: Okay, that's very much. That's very much. So this tolls working with silvers Just alone. It's very much like that. Um yeah, what a twat. He's come away. This is nothing. He was only the fucking driver and he's like he's achieved nothing. You probably won't even get in a big cut anyway.
Dan: But uh, vinnie says, don't worry, there's a place, there's a place for you to go because everything is? I don't know, I don't want to know.
Gav: They go, just go down to the docks and ask for bob or whatever. Yeah, where am I going? I don't know. It's like okay, and imagine that though, if you're just like right, well, I've just got all my bag and I'm gonna start as new life, wherever that is, I'm going out might have to learn a new language. I, you know what the fuck.
Dan: Now where they're going. So that's the intro, essentially. Yeah, and that's the first half of the first act.
Gav: Really it's crazy and really it's really good, though, to finish, and the tailpiece of that is to finish on where am I go? I go down to the docks, so we know it's a boat, so it's obviously going to another island, somewhere, you know another country, uh, land, uh, and ask this person where am I going? I don't know. You know now that all the other people Because we still we see them there have done that as well. Yeah, and it's just like what an intro to an epic film or more about to watch.
Dan: So we've got um a guy with a hit on him you know a gangster with a hit on him. We've got um a money launderer in bezler who's who calls his brother to shoot himself, so he's left his wife and run away. We've got a terrorist bomber and we've got a hitman, and where they end up is a place called porvenir in columbia.
Gav: Is gary glitter there? It looks a little place where gary glitter would be probably it is.
Dan: It's a horrible looking place with poverty. There's a dead body in the street, there's flies and animals just everywhere. There's no food. There's barely anything to eat or drink. They're eating bread and water.
Gav: It just looks horrible.
Dan: It smells gab. I can smell it through my tv it looks horrible, smell of vision. But, um, we see over the course of a few scenes that kaseem and victor and jackie are all there, um, with fake identities. So we must say they've all got these fake IDs and they're trying to blend in. You know, but these guys don't look like columbian. Especially roy schnoj Just certainly doesn't look columbian, um, and they're all kind of just trying to get by. You know, um kaseem, he makes friends with a man who calls himself marquez, who looks like he was probably an ex-nazi war criminal. So these are the kind of people that have moved to this village in columbia. Yeah. Um, now marquez does come into the story a bit more in a moment. Um, but yeah, extreme poverty. They're earning barely any money doing anything they can. Um.
Gav: Looks just like depressing. You wake up each morning and just look out and it's the same thing and it's a bit uh, nothing, yeah, there's not much money, yeah, and they all work together sort of, or some of them all work together.
Dan: They're all saving up basically to get real passports so they can get the fuck out they can become real citizens and move around the country and get out of this part of the country. But they all realize it's going to take a really long time to do that. Now, while they're living there, and nilo the hitman from the very first scene, he arrives in the village as well and people are like, oh, he seems a bit suspicious because he's really um Shady and a bit the hit fidgety, yeah, yeah he is a bit sketchy reshade.
Gav: It's like a little pencil sort of type of stash Ha.
Dan: He's not really trying to blend in, is he not really he's?
Gav: kind of cool in his own little way, you know.
Dan: Yeah, hit man. So this village has um One huge income. Just that side of the village there is an american oil company that is found a huge oil well, and it's pumping oil and it's getting Tons and tons of oil out and this is the main income for the village. Really, they get, you know, they're not making money. They're not exporting anything else Dead goats and whatever it is They've got lying around in the streets, it's oil. That's what's bringing any money, if any, into the, into the village. Now, that's very important because In between all this stuff of police sort of harassing Roy Schneider and Arresting him and then letting him go and threatening him, and all this other stuff, the oil well Explodes, doesn't it? Yeah?
Gav: Yeah, we're getting ahead a little bit. I was gonna say You've got a bit where they're in a bar earlier on and you've got, the cops are coming and start hassling Roy.
Dan: That's what I say. They came in and arrested him, but they kind of let him go. But they, they let him know that, they know that he's well they take him to the cop shop and they basically take his passport from. So I need that and they just tease him a little bit and just fuck around with him a bit and they sort of say you're not called. Whatever his fake name is, we know. We know your game. We know this village attracts, you know, criminals all over the world. And we're, you know, we are the law. We can fuck you over. If we want, we can do what we want to you know, Just fuck yeah and he's just sat there thinking, oh fucking hell.
Gav: This is awful. I just want to get out of here and this is. This is kind of where we're getting out. We've, we've been, we've established this location Piece of shit place. We all want to get going and we've established all our characters and they, they're dying to get going. But I feel like everyone else is in there dying to get going. But obviously the guys we've we've discovered and it is a very Male driven film as well, it's not many, so many females in it.
Dan: This also this village, for anyone that's seen a fantastic film called city of god. Um this is this is like one of those brazilian favelas. It's just so Crime ridden and poverty ridden. It's just not very nice at all.
Gav: and getting back to what you said yes, an epic oil explosion, and again, crazy. How'd they do this?
Dan: Again, it's 1977 dynamite the fuck. Um, they burned. They set propane up, I think, to blast out the ground and lit it, but apparently the crew it was hotter than they expected it. The crew couldn't go within 50 feet of it, so they had to put it out from very far back with hoses and they were done with a scene. Now, because it's yeah, god.
Gav: Children's birthday. I was gonna say, as they start talking about what to do, yeah, because this is going to burn up all the oil.
Dan: They need to put it out. The only way you can really put out a fire like this isn't with water, because it's, and isn't with sand. It's with an explosion, which will then All the earth will then, you know it, extinguish the fire. So they need some dynamite to blow. Basically, the only way to put out the fire is with dynamite, which sounds nuts, but it's, it's a thing. It's the only way to do it, because it's such a huge flame coming out the ground makes sense. Yeah, you know, so it's blowing the fire.
Gav: if I send this essentially, yeah, I'll get it Fire to fight fire you, kind of disrupting the fire's flow.
Dan: Yeah, so when have we got any dynamite? Yes, we have got some dynamite somewhere in a shed. Talk to us about this shed, gav. What's his shed?
Gav: Well, fucking sketchy shed with dynamite. Are we gonna say about how pissed off the locals are about the fact there's injured, dead people and they just cause fucking having? all the trucks, we should have the explosion after the explosion of it shows the town and the trucks coming back with the, the official security or whatever. Bring them back and it's got dead of the family. And they just start fucking, beating up the security guards and pulling them off the truck and just fucking. Like I said, just so fucked off this, like it's just crazy. There's like a dictated shit almost going on in the country.
Dan: We should mention there's some really good maker effects with the explosion Some people on fire, some stuntmen on fire. I always, I'm always so impressed by guys it will set themselves on fire, these stuntmen, um, and then we see the aftermath of the bodies burnt there. But then, like you said, when they take the bodies off the trucks in front of the villages and the villagers just do it themselves, there's just these black and charred bodies. People are screaming and crying because that's their brothers, their fathers, their friends. They're pissed they're so and the oil, the american oil company, is like we are fucked here. We need to fix this big time we need. First thing we need to do is put it out, um, and then we need to start again and bring more money into this and talk about compensation potentially, but we can't do any of that Without putting this fire out.
Gav: Yeah, and we see a helicopter view of the far as well and it looks crazy. It's absolutely huge. Uh yeah, checking box of dynamite in this place, but the boxes, some of the boxes, basically what you have to do dynamite is you have to turn it every once in a while because otherwise, not to glistening, uh, like a liquid, because it is a liquid Will drip out and be at the bottom of the uh, um, and that is essentially what is the explosion there's gonna be at the bottom of the wax pack, paper packaging, uh and dangerous. And later one of the guys Is like put his hand down the side of dynamite going, oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, feeling that, and it's just like this is not good. He has a little drip on him, he goes and puts it on a stone, just flicks it off and and this is where the tension starts this early it does, because as soon as we get, to the shed and he says so you get all of you and you think what?
Dan: and he says to them nobody move. And he explains, like he just said, you know, with the Dripping, and it hasn't been looked after, it's been just kept in a random old shed. The slightest Duration, you know, if you shake it, if you drop it especially, it's gonna explode. And there's so much dynamite in that, in that shed, that that could take out like the whole the hill that it's on because it's on top of a hill. So like, fuck, this is the only dynamite we've got. Is this nitroglycerin? It's really faulty and leaking. What are we gonna do? Um, so they pull up. They set up a pulley system, don't they just slowly take it out? The guys are all sweating well they're like.
Gav: Well, the guy's like you know, any slight bump in this dynamite box, dynamite is going to go, move it 10 feet and it's going to go. Now what we're going to do, we're going to do pulley system our helicopters out of question. Um, they're like we could drive up there and say I was going to drive up there and and then they just go up to everyone. They say, look, we need to experience. Again to town and just say we need to experience drivers, right, 8 000, whatever it is each.
Dan: I think it's $10,000 each or something like that.
Gav: Okay and um, and then they just the the main guy, who's the business guy, the american who's there. It starts kind of almost giving driving. Driving teacher Is like just doing them driving test Instructor and it's just just testing and we're just checking out all the locals what they like. A driving lorry, so I don't get, can't get into the gear and a job that makes the lorry jutter forward and back and you can't have that. So no, you're out. But we do discover our people that we already know are quite good. Actually, we discover a different one there, don't we? Because the hitman isn't involved just yet, is he?
Dan: no, not yet. No, he's in the village but he's not involved yet. So the job description essentially is we need Four men. This is what he says to them as well.
Gav: These are all desperate people.
Dan: We need four men to drive two trucks 218 miles, that's 251 kilometers, and each truck is going to be packed full of Pounds and pounds of nitroglycerin which if you sneeze or fart near it it will explode. And we need it driven 218 miles to put this fire out Through a jungle. If you make it, if you make it through a jungle With trees and ravines.
Gav: You didn't say that bit through the jungle.
Dan: If you do it, we'll pay you 10,000 dollars or whatever it is, but you might not die. You might die Any volunteers. Most people will go.
Gav: But you know it's like. It's like that Jaws moment when they're sitting there going we've got to go capture the shock. Is anyone else going to come do it? You know it's so.
Dan: Yeah, some of these people are desperate and they put their hand up so Kasim, victor, so the terrorist, victor the money, and bezler, jackie, who's Roy snider, and marquez, who's been living in the village before any of them, he's the ex-nazi war criminal. They all say we'll do this.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: We'll do this, that's not a problem.
Gav: They get chosen as the ones to do it and they start having to. They start having to have like a ba moment, don't they go?
Dan: It's like the eighties, isn't it?
Gav: They're basically just finding what truck they do. All these trucks put together, I mean, let's do which one up and go, let's choose this one, and they, they still look shit.
Dan: They have to make the truck. That's the other part of the job description. Not only that, we're not even going to provide you with a vehicle. You've got to make it yourself.
Gav: You're going to kind of choose whatever you want and make sure it works, to just fix it up.
Dan: Yeah, um, obviously they're going to use sand in the back of the but the To keep the you know the dynamite from shaking around.
Gav: But yeah, yeah, yeah, that's because that's one thing. So how do you do that? So they use big lot of sand in the back of the truck with two boxes dynamite and it's just like. They're shit and they call one truck Lazarus and one truck, one truck Sorcerer when this comes down to realism, though, uh, let's be honest that those both of those lorries would have blown up Probably as soon as they started driving off down the road. More than likely.
Dan: Yeah, how big they are. It would have been like literally turning the key like they've only got to there and it's just the key yeah, I don't the key, the ignition, the engines and those, some of the stuff that they do in this, that there's no way, but but let's just pretend that that's not a thing but it's a movie, isn't it, you know?
Gav: and it's my birthday and it's about a call Um.
Dan: So while they're getting ready and they're discussing their plans To to do this, um, nilo, the hit man he kills my care is the Nazi war criminal. Yeah, um, and he basically is replaced. He says, like we need a driver, royce, no. He says, well, we need a driver. He'll have to do so.
Gav: They've got a new man, kind of his is that his plan, or was he there to actually kill him anyway?
Dan: But kaseem is really pissed off because he doesn't like this where this is going. But was that his?
Gav: plan or was he there to kill him? Anyway, I think he's. I think it was he saw an opportunity.
Dan: I think so too. I don't think it was a fully planned out.
Gav: I think he just saw the opportunity they do realize also, though, that they probably don't need both lorries, so they realize that one of them's actually, or both of them are actually. Well, no one lorry is expendable, yeah. Yeah, so it's kind of a gamble as to and they realize that and they both look at each other and it's like, well, yeah.
Dan: It's kind of like the carnival run. It's like every man for himself. Whoever can get to the finish line first yeah, not be exploded is going to win and get the money.
Gav: Yeah, so they start off. I love the native guy, uh, who just like hasn't laughed, doesn't realize that lorries got dynamite in it and Royce and Royce, just like he's driving around in New Jersey again, get out the way and this guy's, like in his loincloth, goes there. I'm gonna run along and skip a rain and Chase the lorry and he's having a right old day not realizing there's a lorry full of dynamite. Royce, just like this is not good See if I just started calm down. Roy.
Dan: It's really rough terrain. So to paint the picture, we're going through jungles up and down very steep I my prayers won't be doing it, that's for sure.
Gav: I don't know how these lorries are.
Dan: There's rocks everywhere. Um, they also have to drive along like cliff faces occasionally, where there's barely any road, and you, if you slip, your whole car is gonna, your truck is going to go down a massive ravine. So it's just literally non-stop Obstacles, and again the tension Continues to ramp up, doesn't stop All the way through this. And then we've got the elements, because we get some rain. We're in, obviously, columbia Rain forest. Oh my god, it's not just, it's beating down.
Gav: I, I hate driving in the rain and dual in like motorways when it's pouring down rain. Had it fairly recently. It's been so bad to drive along. I'm not going through. I'm mithy, it's quite bad. He got other cars, motorbots You're trying to like not hit them on the motorway. You don't have that in the jungle trying to. You don't have that in the jungle, but it's a jungle, yeah, it's got other problems.
Dan: They're also trying to find their way. They've got mud banks. They've got a dodgy map as well.
Gav: Yeah, there's no, they're all sweating.
Dan: Let's throw in the mix cab. It's fucking hot, it's really hot as well.
Gav: Humid, it's everything horrible they both got enough.
Dan: Yeah, they're probably thirsty, it's just and then the final thing to the mix is None of them trust each other.
Gav: No, no, there's no trust whatsoever. So watching this film, you're just like I just want to. I'm just wondering if the dynamite is going to explode or not. It's like watching jackass or something like that, that you're kind of just sitting again. Is this dynamite going to explode? I'm just going to watch. And then you just watched the tension between these people and how the desperation and it's just just and it it's an exploration this film is into, like to know different, different feelings and stuff.
Dan: The way they split off then in the trucks is is Jackie, roy Schneider and the hitman Nilo are in one car, one truck, and kaseem and victor, two very different people, wants a terrorist and one's just the money in bezler or in the other one, and they kind of start to get to know each other.
Gav: So then you've got that I kind of like their one.
Dan: Yeah, they're all right. Yeah, Roy and the hitman sounds like a crap wrapped act from the 80s. Roy and the hitman.
Gav: Or a really shit country Band that tried to get a bit cool.
Dan: Roy and the hitman. I'll go and see them Town hall.
Gav: I'd probably go see Roy and the hitman. They get to a bridge, oh my god a rotten bridge. What the?
Dan: fuck, the tires get stuck, but they manage to make it.
Gav: And it's not the worst one yet, is it?
Dan: No, not yet.
Gav: Oh god. And the thing is, we can't treat them.
Dan: Because they're not exactly sticking together along this trip.
Gav: No, there's a bit of a gap, which kind of makes sense. No, I thought that was on plan and I assumed that that was going to be where kept going the whole time. There's a bit of a gap to just in case one of them explodes, but they kind of do, I suppose in a way.
Dan: Yeah, they have to keep a bit sort of distance apart, which means that they end up splitting off or taking slightly different routes here and there. They kind of got a rough idea of the way and they've got a map but, as I say, the map shit and actually someone screws up the map and throws it away at one point because they realize this map's useless.
Gav: But when they're first that first little bridge, it's just so it's not even that bad. But he's just got to move it left the wheel a bit and he says to the french guys to uh, is it nilo?
Dan: Uh, nilo is um the french guys.
Gav: Yeah, yeah, victor, nilo, yes. Uh, kaseem is with oh, kaseem and victor, yeah, yeah right. Victor saying to kaseem Okay, you get back in the car and the lorry, and victor, no, no, you do it. And he's so like uh, and or it's the other round, isn't it? Cosim's in the van?
Dan: Cosim's driving yeah.
Gav: Yeah, and he's just so angry with it. No, I don't want you doing this. I said you do it and he's going to. Just I'm going to just forward you and it's just, the left wheel is just almost going down and it's really intense just for this little bit, and it's nothing to do with what we are going to get into.
Dan: And then the same thing happens for, obviously, roy Schneider and Nilo. They have to cross a really shitty road bridge as well, and this time Nilo gets out and he's sort of trying to guide in the rain, trying to guide Roy Schneider Left a bit right, a bit left, a bit right a bit.
Gav: It's just boring of rain Different weather faces can hardly see the road.
Dan: He's on his knees trying not to slip off the bridge.
Gav: And this is not rain machines. This must have been raining, do you?
Dan: imagine, I think it was rain machines.
Gav: Oh, ok, you've got to have control, I suppose.
Dan: But the this bit, the why this team, particularly with Roy Schneider's truck, is so tense, is the way the bridge swings. The truck looks like it's almost going to flip upside down Because it's swinging so violently from left to right in the wind and the rain. It's only its weight that's keeping it on this bridge.
Gav: Well, I haven't got to that bit yet. Oh cool, jesus Christ, Slow down, daniel, slow down.
Dan: Sorry, go, go, go go.
Gav: So they've just done this first little bit where they go around this corner. It's not too bad. It's like a little taste of what we're about to get into, what the hell is just getting to. So they kind of drop down this hill first of all, isn't it Roy and Daniel? And it's kind of like you can't because they go the wrong way, don't they?
Dan: Yeah, and they split off a little bit from the route and the hill is so steep and they're really worried about the bumps and bumps, all the bumps and rocks as they're going down here.
Gav: Yeah, because they don't. They're at a point where they go which way to go and they see a local and it's just local, doesn't say anything. It's like which way do we go, or is that later on.
Dan: I think that's later on, ok, fine.
Gav: OK, so anyway they get to this one bridge zone. It's just like this is the wrong road. This is the fucking wrong road, like what the fuck? And they don't have any choice. They've got to go across this road bridge.
Dan: And then obviously the rain comes down and it's just. But they all manage to. Both trucks manage to make it a bit further along and they get to a point where they just can't go any further Because a massive tree, and I'm talking a huge Amazonian tree, hang on, don't, don't, don't, go by that road bridge.
Gav: so much as that. It's just that. Ok, let's talk about the road bridge, the tents, the tents, feeling you get watching that road bridge, the vehicles going across.
Dan: I've written in my notes in capital letters my God, it's so tense.
Gav: It's just ridiculous where you get.
Dan: It goes on forever as well.
Gav: Where you get a Nilo, like you said, it's out, then rain going come across. But when you had it with Victor and Kaseem going across Kaseem at one point, victor's trying to go and Kaseem's going in and he can't see Kaseem Kaseem falls through the crack of the bridge. As he falls through, the screen goes black because we're experiencing what he's experiencing. And he comes back up and he pulls himself up. The lorry is still coming at him and Victor's going I can't see you. I can't see you and it's almost going to like drive over his head and like what? Stop making this film more intense. It's insane. And they do get across and then Roy has to do it as well and it's just the way the lorry moves.
Dan: This is the set piece, really the main.
Gav: It's the front. It's the poster.
Dan: Yeah, of course, and they built this bridge like. I say with hydraulics. And I think something happened where either the bridge was destroyed during terrible weather and they had to rebuild it somewhere else, but this bridge ended up costing like five times as much than they thought, because either they were told to take it down by local authorities or it got destroyed so they had to rebuild this bridge in a separate location and film some bits of it again. Wow, and Roy Schneider said that's the hardest part of his ever done in his career that bridge scene doing that over and, over and over again at night, with the wind and the rain machines, and although it was relatively safe because they're all at harness up or whatever, it's still intense. Man With those big trucks, oh God, and you can see it. You can see it coming through on the actress' faces.
Gav: There's something very interesting going on. As it's going on, the bridge is almost like a character in itself and it's almost screaming. You've got these really low sounds. It sounds like of a kid screaming. And I think they've put in the sound mix and it kind of makes the bridge almost like an enemy, and that's what.
Dan: Freakin wants. That's why it's called sorcerer, because there is like an evil sorcerer, an evil wizard of fate overseeing everything, whether it's the bridge, the dynamite, the tree that we're going to come up to. All of it is just designed to make it incredibly difficult for them.
Gav: When Roy gets over, he's like that's it We've got. We are now onto 20K each because there's no way that they will make that.
Dan: I know he's really pleased. He thinks that's brilliant.
Gav: Yeah, so reminding, us that he's a baddie, but then you go for that, then you get, then what the fuck? The size of this tree.
Dan: Yeah, so it's an Amazon rainforest tree that's fallen. That's not. It couldn't have been known.
Gav: It doesn't look like just you could make a house out of this tree.
Dan: Yeah, it's huge. It's about as half as tall as a house, you know, and really long. They kind of laughed, don't they? Manically? Now, well, we get it, and as as they discover it, the other truck pulls up.
Gav: Well, yeah, the other guys catch up to them, but before, before that, roy's just like what the fuck, grab some machete? And just starts hacking through, going I'm going to make a road over here, and then the, the, the, the Nilo's just laughing at him, then gets, pulls out his gun because he says, use the machete, he throws it at him and he pulls that gun and just starts shooting at him and saying no. And then the other two just turn up and you know, oh my God. Now, luckily the other truck. But you like, though, the first thing, you, when you see that you like shit, what are they going to do? And I was just like what are they going to do? I have no idea.
Dan: Well, luckily the other truck that's pulled up has got a Casino in it. Who is a terrorist? He's an explosives expert.
Gav: And I didn't know what they were doing though. So when they start setting up this like little booby trap type thing, I was like how are they?
Dan: What it's. This is my favorite scene. I know the road bridge is like the main scene, but this is my favorite scene for the, the whole 18 McGyriness of it all. What they do then is they, they, they fashion a tripod of really long branches over the top of the tree, they get loads of sand and they basically fill up the pockets. It's it's Victor's very posh silk trousers that they use. They get them to cut his. He pulls a knife out, doesn't he? And he grabs his pockets and he could always be cut his balls off because he's like. He looks him in the eyes as he slices his silk pockets off and they use that as a sand bag. And then they, they use some of the dynamite to and they very carefully fashion, they put it there with a rock above it on a pulley system.
Gav: The other three, though, run off like they run so fast and you can see. You can see like the accident, this is like it's just like it's real, it's actually happening, which it obviously did actually happen, because they explode it and but they leave poor old kaseem's up there just trying to get the finishing touches. So then when he gets down he's trying to run so fast, he's tripping over and stuff, because he's like any second, this explosion I don't know how big the explosion is going to be is going to take this tree out. I've got to get the fuck away from here.
Dan: So what he's done is he's put a hole in the bag of sand so that it slowly starts to get lighter and lighter, it's like a V shape for tree so that it's wedged.
Gav: So as it goes down, the bag will slip between the V shape of the tree. Which way should you?
Dan: run the rock explosion.
Gav: It's not a glistening and an explosion.
Dan: The explosion is just makes it.
Gav: He just gets, he just makes it out of the start. Yeah, and the tree, the explosion's, like what the fuck?
Dan: And then I was really excited, nick, because, like I said, this was my favorite scene. At this point I was like that was incredible. And then I was like has it worked? Has it worked? They all slowly go back over and it takes ages for the camera to pan over. They really hold you and then the camera finally shows you no one needs it worked. It's blown a fucking huge clear road right the way through that they can easily drive the trucks through. Oh, it's like a little. This is a little moment of like you can have a little breather.
Gav: They leave a whole box of dynamite on the tree though, cause I was like how much they can use the whole box. But, by the way, very quickly going back to that bridge scene, just as they're trying to get across that last little bit you've got, the structure of the bridge is starting to collapse. Yeah, that made it sound much even more intense, it's like. Could you stop making it so intense? How do you keep doing this?
Dan: You might as well have just had sharks on crocodiles underneath the bridge, with laser beams on their head and pterodactyl circling them overhead. Oh, so is so. They've cleared a path, gav. We can breathe for a moment, just until we get to this. Very, very.
Gav: I love it when I do run from it the first three guys when they run to it and they just get into the lorries and reverse reverse reverse.
Dan: Oh yeah, that's right, get the other dynamite away from the explosion. Yeah, fuck yeah.
Gav: But this breather that the audience and them are given doesn't last too long, because this breather is a nice little moment where they go wow, we've just done this, so you've got this lovely moment where Victor and Kasim are driving along and Kasim's like are you married? And stuff like yeah, I've got wife.
Dan: I've seen my wife last time.
Gav: This is my watch. It's my watch, last thing she gave me. It's fucking. I love this watch. You've got children.
Dan: No, no, but I do want to have children. Yeah, yeah, yeah, and they really get to know each other.
Gav: It's what we need after all that tension. We need a nice little ah, and they get to know each other, and it's quite nice, isn't it?
Dan: It is until that moment is really interrupted.
Gav: when the wheel slips, the tyre bursts, the tyre explodes and they start to go down, and as they start to move, the lorry explodes and they die.
Dan: Now do we see the explosion, or do we see it from Roy Schneider's point of view?
Gav: No, we do sort of see it a little bit, but then we see the smoke from their distance and they they're coming up to it, yeah they know, they know, they're behind them now, but they are.
Dan: They know there's only one way that there's an explosion that big in the jungle, and that's that their buddy's in the truck in front of them.
Gav: They're not really their buddies, but they have gone through this journey, so they are at least kindred spirits of that sense. So they're fucked. We've lost half the cast. Also, though, bandits have heard the noise. Oh shit, pirates.
Dan: Pirate bandits.
Gav: So we've just these two. They should quite like. That's it. They're just taking out of the movie and it's like the fuck.
Dan: So we're left with one lorry now, very good. So just to recap, what I loved about all of that series of sequence of events is I love the whole tree and the setup and the blowing up and the way they did it. Then I love the ease off of tension for a split second when they're victorious They've cut through the tree. Then I love that lovely moment of Victor and Kasim getting to know each other and they're a bit more relaxed because they're on the last stretch now. And then that is cut short so brutally with this explosion and they're just taking out and you're like, wow, I was just getting to know those guys. They were just getting to know each other, fuck. And I love the way that Freakin and the cast and the writing takes you on this fucking roller coaster. For several scenes You're like, oh you bastard.
Gav: Yeah, because you heard it. You're like oh, that's the introduction to all the characters and stuff. It's like the first scene and it's like, yeah, it is. I suppose sex scenes are jungle and that, but then that kind of goes into the third scene. It's not really a normal structure of this film whatsoever.
Dan: No, it's unlike anything I can recall seeing.
Gav: I didn't sort of think to sort of break it down. I think it actually confused me a little. I'd have to sort of really sit there for a little moment and go OK, this is that, that's this and that's that. But it's unconventional and I guess it's him doing what he wants.
Dan: Freakin.
Gav: So Roy Schneider and Nilo pull up at the wreckage of their body trucks and they could say the watch, the watch is there, I think.
Dan: I think the watch is down. There's some body parts and smoke. However, while they're there, like you mentioned, go bandits. Some Colombian bandits survive as bandits.
Gav: No, I hope.
Dan: And they surround them and they basically are speaking to them. They don't really understand what they're saying. He's trying to sort of explain to them you know, don't, please leave us alone, Don't, don't touch the truck, Don't look in the truck. But the more he does that, the more they're like what have you got? What are you transporting? So he starts saying Roy Schneider just started saying random things like toilet paper, rice. He just starts listing random products.
Gav: He knows that they're going to look in here. I don't know what's going on here, but while this is happening, we have got Victor, who's just in the in the front, nilo.
Dan: Nilo.
Gav: So in the front just sort of sitting there going oh hang on, I'll get out in a minute, because you've got some of the guys saying get out. There's like three of them, so get out, get out.
Dan: And he's acting like he's. Well, he is a bit, but yeah, you're telling the hit man to.
Gav: Like. You know, we know what's kind of kind of go on here.
Dan: Yeah, well, nilo, he shoots one of them and there's a bit of a fight between them all. They take them. Nilo takes pretty much all of them out, pretty much.
Gav: But he does get shot, unfortunately.
Dan: He is shot in the process. Yeah, roy takes out the last one with a shovel. Fucking great, kill he just, and it's a really brutal. You don't really see it, but the way it's shot and it's the same design. You know that he's caved this guy's head in with a shovel. Roy Schneider smashing a guy in the head with a shovel. It's brilliant, brilliantly done. It's such a gritty film.
Gav: Imagine your situation though. You're a desperate man, your life is fucked and all of a sudden, you found yourself going through the jungle one day with a fucking, a hit man. Diner with a hit man, you don't know, with dynamite in the back which you could explode like the dudes down there, your life isn't whatever. So then these guys come along and say, fuck off, I'm not having a good day. And it's just like, yeah, I'm going to pave your fucking head in with a shovel because I don't care, isn't it?
Dan: Well, we cut to nighttime and Nilo is dying. He's not in a good way.
Gav: It's really nice. I'm trippy place here. Roy's not having a good time either. I think he's starting to fucking trip out.
Dan: Yeah Well, in a moment he has a full-on paranoid trip.
Gav: It's all blue. They drive through it. He's from this rocky place.
Dan: It looks like Tatooine or something from Star Wars, because it's nighttime and because there are obviously in the desert or wherever they are. There is no fake light, there's no man-made lighting. So the way the stars and the night time illuminate these rocks and this landscape, it looks like they're on another planet. It's beautiful.
Gav: And Nilo has died, and his laugh because he has this thing where he laughs quite a lot in this movie. His laugh is now like the sound design, while Roy's just driving aimlessly around this weird place.
Dan: Well, he says to him. He tries to keep him alive for a little bit. He says what are you going to do with your cut of the money? And Nilo says I'm going to get the finest whore in Colombia. And Roy's like he might as well get the two finest whores in Colombia and he's trying to keep him alive. But then he dies. So he drags his body out, he leaves him in the desert and then he carries on driving and then that's when you get the sound design of a laugh, and then just the weirdness that's where the sleep deprivation, the paranoid exhaustion it's exhaustion. And, yeah, they start mixing in flashbacks to New York, flashbacks to what's recently happened, and he starts hallucinating he's driving.
Gav: And he stops, doesn't he he? Stops, he stops. And then starts to van. Why does he stop?
Dan: To take the body out, ok, he starts to van Laurie again.
Gav: And guess what? I don't start, fuck.
Dan: So what's he going to?
Gav: do so. The next shot is him just walking up the road with a box of dynamite in his hands. Very carefully. Not really Well. Well, he's just trying to get across the road.
Dan: I actually said out loud to myself, because he's because it's 218 miles and he's written that on the dashboard and when they, when they get there, it says how many miles. Oh yeah, when they get, when the truck doesn't stop, it says 216. Yeah, so he knows he's got two miles left to walk with his dynamite.
Gav: So he just starts walking and luckily we see some people come out and just grab the box of dynamite from him.
Dan: Well, just before that this is this part of the film that I actually shared out loud when I saw, when it cuts to, roy Schneider in the middle of the night walking through with a box. I'm actually shadow, oh, for fuck's sake, because I was like I can't take any more tension. And he's about to collapse from exhaustion. On top of that, if he falls over, boom, boom, boom. But yeah, the people who work for the company see him. They run over, they grab the dynamite, they carefully take it away. He collapses. They use it to stop the burning. Obviously, what you know we don't really see that, but they do it.
Gav: And he becomes a he's like the hero. Yeah, he's a bit of a hero Now he turns up in terms of the business guy at the back who owns all companies, got his checks and stuff in their shirt and stuff and they go into like a bar and he says, ok, he buys him a drink, he gives him a check, he goes what the fuck am I going to do? He goes it's all right, someone's coming down to take you to the bank. You'll have your money by two o'clock this afternoon.
Dan: He says you'll have a passport, he's got 40,000. Yep, he says you'll have a passport, you'll be a citizen of the country, you'll have a bank account and you'll have all this money, so you're going to be absolutely fine.
Gav: Yeah, and he looks over to the cleaning lady and he's like do I have to? When do I have to go? Do I have to go right now? And he goes. No, he goes, they're waiting. If it's you, they're waiting for you because he's now got this new money.
Dan: He saved the village, he saved the whole village and brought money back into the village.
Gav: And he takes the cleaning lady's hand and has a little dance for ads.
Dan: The backstory to that very quickly is because he's been looking at pictures of beautiful women on and off.
Gav: He's Mrs Women.
Dan: And he wants to dance with a woman. So he picks up this cleaning lady and he has a bit of a slow dance with her. But carry on then, garth, as is your birthday episode. Tell us, tell us, tell us, we pant outside.
Gav: And as we get to outside and we know he's won Roy has won we pant outside. A taxi turns up and a couple of guys come out and it's the guy that told him it's Vinny. Yeah, the guy told him to where to go. Go down to the docks I don't know where you're going. He turns up, so he obviously did. Though where he was going Move someone else. So that means they're going to go in there and kill him and they walk into that bar and we finish we finish, we hear a gunshot.
Dan: If you listen carefully you hear a gunshot, but Friedkin said he wanted it to be either you to think it was either a car backfiring a gunshot, anything, but you do hear a very muffled shot. So we don't know his fate. We assume after all of that he's probably been shot. He got his comeuppance Because none of these guys are good guys.
Gav: I think that is actually correct. I would say your predicament is right there. He's not a bad guy. He doesn't deserve to get the money. He got shot. Yeah, so no one wins in this movie. So after all that attention no one's fucking.
Dan: I'm tense.
Gav: No talking about it, I am tense, but if you said to me right, well, watch it again, then I'm all right, yeah, I'd watch.
Dan: Gav, I'd sit and watch this with you. Honestly, I'd love to sit and watch this with you Because I can imagine us going. Ah, oh, no, To sum up, you know, obviously I loved, absolutely loved this film. For me, it's got real opening scenes of Exorcist 5, mixed with Deliverance, some parts of Jaws, and that's not because of Roy Schneider, it just comes from the tension and the realism. And I'm getting a lot of because of the trucks a lot of Spielberg's Jaws vibes as well, and it's just a sign of its time. So those late 70s were magic years with American film making Fucking hell. This was great.
Gav: I think if you appreciate films like Apocalypse Now, films like that sort of epic scale of real, like oh my god, this is like we're going to sit down and watch a fucking movie. Now, you know, put the phone away, I'm going to watch a fucking movie, that sort of thing, this is yeah yeah, old cinema, real cinema, old cinema, real film making. Yeah, it's fine Classics. Like you know, we don't see stuff like this now.
Dan: It's a wonderful film. Obviously a thumbs up from me and I'm sure from you as well.
Gav: It's the beauty of cinema and why all of us are here right now listening to this podcast all the time, and I host it Because we love fucking cinema. We love movies, we love the escape as of going off into a little world of a film. We all love it, the world loves it, it's whatever reason it is, and these films do different things for you, but this one go man, have a spare pair of pants.
Dan: And what I would say, gav as well, is if you which I don't think you have go onto the Wikipedia page and go onto IMDB trivia, there's lots of background stuff on there. All the stuff that went on behind the scenes.
Gav: I tell you what I might have to do. A YouTube. I bet some people have just done their own kind of behind the scenes. They've probably broken it, don't they?
Dan: There was even some stuff which Nida not getting on with Freakin. Oh sure, Because he spoke up for the cast and said to Freakin, you need to stop firing people, because I'm fed up of going to the airport and saying goodbye to these people. You know you're firing people left, right and center, but then they had all the trouble with the sets and the real weather that hit and just great.
Gav: If you said to me right, you've got a chance to make a proper studio movie, you're going to make this movie. No, I'm not. No, I'm not going to make a studio movie.
Dan: Then it's just too much. The score is phenomenal all over the top. Just adding to that crazy because it gets all very. It's described as an existential high tension thriller and it is at times quite existential towards the end, especially with Schneider, these four men questioned in their lives.
Gav: You know, so yeah, how did we end up here? How and why, and what the fuck are we going to do about it? Watch this movie. It's a series of events. What's this film, people? It might not be for you. The first time I watched this was Sarah. She fell asleep. She might not like me saying that, but I think she is probably just pretty tired. Actually, she enjoyed it this time around. I don't think it's probably going to be for everybody. I wouldn't have liked watching this when I was 17, 18. I might not have appreciated it at all. I'm older, I can sit with her and I'll have an older film and appreciate it more nowadays. So I don't know, it might not be for you. But it's not horror, but it is fucking tense.
Dan: It's not horror but it's a thriller and it's intense and it's got some good sort of it's just good.
Gav: What's the class as a bit? It's just like a drama Drama thriller, maybe Action drama thriller.
Dan: There we go, great stuff.
Gav: Yeah, 7.7 out of 10. Honestly, I think.
Dan: I think deliverance is as close as I could say. It feels like it's that kind of tension of guys on a trip.
Gav: Better than deliverance, though.
Dan: Yeah, oh, I don't know, man, maybe because I've only seen this once.
Gav: So the most is way to deliver.
Dan: It's about this.
Gav: Do go back to French Connection, do definitely watch that and do do cruising and I'm going to say that we should probably do cruising as an actual episode, because it is actually about a detective after an opportunity, after a serial killer. Are you all a girl? Ok?
Dan: OK, all right, brilliant. Well, thank you, kat, for giving me a present on your birthday of these two beautiful films.
Gav: Yes, no problem, I'm great.
Dan: Let's have a little break and then come back to say goodbye and happy birthday to everybody. Bye.
Gav: Goodbye. Ok, let's come back.
Dan: Oh well, that was a tense end to the episode, but a fantastic episode, Gav.
Gav: Good, I'm glad my choice again hasn't been too bad.
Dan: Yeah, good stuff, and I hope you enjoyed your birthday episode. I did I need to take your birthday pants off? I'm at your birthday crown off now. Sorry, and put that back away.
Gav: I'll pull them back up then. There you go.
Dan: There you go Right. So that was episode 148. Good times. In some ways, enjoy both films. Let's talk about what's coming up.
Gav: Please.
Dan: Our next episode.
Gav: Give it to me baby.
Dan: Oh, the girls say episode 149 is a director special. We're talking Adam Green.
Gav: Oh yes.
Dan: And we're going to be covering Frozen yeah From 2010 and Digging Up the Marrow from 2014.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: I went to Fright First Sword premiere of Dig up the. Marrow, I've only seen it once and I absolutely loved it, so I'm excited to go back to watch that again, ray Wise. Yeah, I love a bit of Ray. So that's 149. Episode 150 after that is another train. Amazing. And our friend RJ McCready has picked two London gangster films for us. Yes, so interesting. Long Good Friday with Bob Oskins from 1980. And the classic Guy Ritchie lock stock and two smoking barrels from 98.
Gav: Wow, we we're going to have a lot to say Gangster double bill. So yeah, not horror, not horror, but we're doing a gangster double bill, but lots of violence. People do get murdered, though, so it's fine we can talk about Vinnie Jones crushing people's heads in cars.
Dan: Yeah, and just lots of good stuff.
Gav: I can't wait for that, though I was gutted that I didn't get to meet and I was going to do a gangster tour. I think it was a gangster tour, might have been actually or something, I can't remember. I think it was with the dude with the curly hair.
Dan: Oh yeah.
Gav: But I had covid.
Dan: A man also gets beaten to death with a big black rubber dildo in that film, so there'll be lots to discuss. Yeah. Interesting. And then, after that Episode 151, I'm pleased to announce we'll be coming back to a franchise that we started. We're going to be coming back to Chucky.
Gav: Oh, really now.
Dan: We'll be covering Chards Play 3, which was famously banned for a while in the UK. Oh yeah, and of course the follow-up from 98, Bride of Chucky, which is where Ronnie Yu stepped in and things got a little bit more comical, but it started really becoming its own little cult thing then at this point, so interesting to discuss.
Gav: Did he do Freddie Mercury's Jason?
Dan: He did yes he did, which we'll be covering at some point when we get to that point in the franchise. So yeah, so we're talking Adam Green, followed by some London gangsters, and then after that we'll be getting lucky with Chucky. So the next three episodes are going to be huge fun. Stick with us everyone.
Gav: Plucky fucky, ducky sucky.
Dan: Sucky, it's your birthday. Sucky, sucky, sucky with Chucky. Wow, I wouldn't. I heard a rumor that they're making a Megan versus Chucky movie.
Gav: I don't care, ok.
Dan: Well, let's do some admin, let's do our little admin bits Housekeeping, as it were and then we'll move on. So as always, and as we have been for the last 148 episodes.
Gav: We need a little thing, don't we? So we're saying housekeepered no, a little thing, you know.
Dan: What's that in Housekeeping? She says it's probably in a lot of films. I think yes. As always, we have been the podcast on Haunted Hill. Thank you everybody for listening, for supporting and just doing all the things that you do. We love you all and we love films and we love Gav's birthday. You can contact us on: the podcast on Haunted Hill at outlook.com if you want to send us an email. We are a proud member of the Legion Podcasts Network Legion Podcasts Network. Go to legionpodcasts.com to find out more about us, all our back episodes as well as all the other shows under the network. We're on Facebook. Just search for the podcast on Haunted Hill. We have brilliant network family of friends and amazing supporters and silly people who just post nonsense up that we love working looking at all day long.
Gav: Every day. The Facebook page has probably what? 15-odd posts, 10-odd daily.
Dan: Yeah, it's great and as well, as Legion has their own Facebook page as well, so it just goes to Legion Podcast.
Gav: It's a nightmare if you're ever trying to look for something, you can use obviously the search in a group and type in a keyword. Sometimes you're like, oh, it's a good give-up. You know, I can't.
Dan: But do join us and tell us what you're watching. You know everybody posts what they're watching, what they're looking forward to trailers, posters, just memes and gifs. It's brilliant. Wherever you're listening to us now is where you can continue to listen to us. We are available on most podcast platforms Spotify, youtube, podnive, apple, et cetera, et cetera. We're on Instagram, the podcast on Haunted Hill Insta, which is where I promote the episodes a day or so after they come out with a little montage and a link to the episode. We also have our production company, which is now a real company, isn't it? It's a real boy now.
Gav: It's a real business. You can look up businesses in England and see deadbolt media.
Dan: At the moment, it's all still deadboltfilmscom. We have a deadbolt channel on YouTube and we're on again, yeah, deadboltfilms. And we're on Instagram as well, under deadboltfilms, or one word, we are also on Patreon. So thank you to all of our patrons. Well, thank you to Brigidine, just a moment. If you want to become a patron and you do not have to do it, we would do this if we didn't have one single patron. But if you want to become a patron and support the show in a financial way that will help us to continue to keep the show growing, to rent and buy films and equipment and other bits and bobs that we need to keep going really, because 10 years of doing this has taken cost a little bit of money here and there.
Gav: And it's massively appreciated. Yeah, and time as well. It's not a quick thing.
Dan: As we discussed on our 100th or 10 year episode. It's like four nights we give up to get, but we still love it, yeah, but if you become a patron, you'll get a t-shirt sent to wherever you live in the universe. I'll say that now, gav in the universe, so you'll get a t-shirt sent to you. You'll also get to have a patron.
Gav: I guess no one from the Rover or whatever it is on the moon or whatever it's gonna.
Dan: Let's hope not.
Gav: What a t-shirt.
Dan: Because the British Postal Service is very good. They're really shambles about it.
Gav: There's another show programme I watched. I watched a fucking TV programme with Toby Jones as the lead. It was actually quite a good show.
Dan: Yeah, and it's now opened up a candleworms and shown everybody just to corrupt. That whole thing was. That was fucked, yeah, yeah. So you'll get a t-shirt. You'll get access to exclusive content as well as all of our back catalog, Yep, and you'll also get, as well as a shout-out, which I'll do in a moment, all of our patrons. You also get your chance to partake in Patreon. To me. So every three episodes, one of our patrons gets to decide the two movies that we watch, whether they're horror or something related to dark or thriller or yeah, it's got to happen.
Gav: We get slight rules to it guys. I remember it has to be slightly. It's got to be like someone being hurt or deaf.
Dan: You can't just throw in my best friend's wedding or something like that.
Gav: It doesn't have to be deaf, but it's got to be a dark tone to it.
Dan: Yeah, but yeah, you'll also get to do that as well. So if you want to do that, go to Patreon. Search for the podcast on Haunted Hill. If you can't find that anywhere, email us Again. It's the podcast on HauntedHill at Outlook.com or message me on Facebook Private message me and I'll share the link to you. And, as always, thank you to our beautiful, wonderful patrons, who are all Sexy they're sexy patrons and they're all going to get a nickname. I've decided I'm not going to do a voice today. I'm going to give them a nickname.
Gav: I'm going to do the dirty perv noise after you say the names.
Dan: I'm sure they'll all really appreciate that.
Gav: It's my birthday, I can do what I want.
Dan: Of course. So the nicknames are going to be related to them. You know the rhyming, not rhyming the names, but the same letters as their names. So, thank you to Dangerous Don Call you Ugh. Magnificent Matthew Godley, ugh. Uh, I'm trying to think of a good one, with Jay Um juxtapositioning Jamie Jenkins. What?
Gav: Ugh.
Dan: Uh, conniving. Kevin S5. Ugh, uh. Sensational. Sarah Ke, yeah. Ridiculous Rachel, oh Robotic. Rj McCready yeah. And the lovely Lex Boo Ugh. I apologize, some of you have back nicknames and others.
Gav: I apologize.
Dan: Probably going to be offended and un-unpatring yourselves from us, and I don't blame you.
Gav: I apologize, anything that came out my mouth.
Dan: All goes in it, anything.
Gav: Yeah, what are you saying? The dick's been in your mouth before. It's going to blow your own dick in your mouth, you can blow your dick again. What?
Dan: Great stuff, great movie. I'll go back and watch that one again. I'm about both of these. I need to check out again in the next couple of months. Really, thank you everybody. Um, let's say our goodnight. It is a goodnight from Jeff Garland blowing his own dick into his own mouth.
Gav: It's been there before. Yeah, oh sorry, it's my fault. It's goodnight from the birthday boy, Gabby. Gabby, Gab, Gab.
Dan: And it's a goodnight from a very sweaty Roy Schneider carrying a box of dynamite for two miles, I'm going to carry it for two miles.
Gav: I couldn't even get my teenagers to all my kids to walk two miles how he does it with dynamite in the jungle.
Dan: After all that he's been through After fighting off bandits.
Gav: After all that he's been through, I know.
Dan: So it's a goodnight from all of them, and it's a goodnight from us.
Gav: Yeah, goodnight, everybody, be safe. Be careful. Do look under the bed for Roy Schneider with a box of dynamite. You're smiling at you.
Dan: And don't forget, guys if you do keep dynamite in your shed, Gab, the rule is keep rotating it.
Gav: Rotate that so that nitricleusin keeps it in the middle.
Dan: It's like wine. You've got to rotate it every few weeks. Yeah, you should do. Goodnight everyone.
Gav: Goodnight. Thank you for listening to the podcast on Haunted Hill. We will be back again real soon.