Rob: Hello and welcome. It is me, Rob, and with me is Kevin Yank, and we are back with Subspace Radio because new Star Trek is out. Out there, in the universe, and we need to talk about it, don't we, Kevin?
Kevin: Hailing frequencies open, Rob. We sure do.
Rob: Let's do this. There is a new episode. It is from Discovery. It is its final season. We are up to episode 5, Mirrors, and we're here to talk about it. And that inspires us to talk about other topics. That's what we do here at Subspace Radio. We talk about the broader oeuvre, as it were, in this wonderful franchise.
Kevin: And this week we will be talking about the mirror universe in all its, incarnations.
Rob: Yes, there was a bit of talk leading up into this episode about, you know, it's Discovery's return to the Mirror Universe, and then you watch the episode,
Kevin: Not so much.
Rob: It's adjacent. Yeah. We don't throw ourselves heavily into the universe like we did in Season 1 of Discovery.
Kevin: Well, they certainly did it in season one. I'm not sure what's left to do. So yeah, perhaps not surprising that we weren't doing a full return, but, uh, you definitely, you put the word mirror in a Star Trek episode title and you are making a promise.
Rob: And the fans will come. Because there are huge fans of the Mirror Universe episodes of Star Trek and I'm looking forward to finding out your opinion of it. Because we've kind of danced around Mirror Universe stuff, but we've never done a deep dive, I believe.
Kevin: I don't have a whole lot to say about this episode. It kind of came and went. Um, and I don't know if it was just the promise of finding the ISS Enterprise, Captain Kirk's ISS Enterprise, from the original Mirror, Mirror episode of the original series. Finding it floating in a pocket of space. That kind of went, whoa, okay, we're doing something here. And then it didn't really amount to much. It was a place to run around and have fights in. And it got towed off into the sunset at the end of the episode. And I felt like we didn't really do much with the platform that was created here. How about you?
Rob: Yeah, it was, it was very much an episode of, this was the episode we've been, I put in inverted commas, waiting for. Let's find out about our two antagonists in this,
Kevin: It was, it was mostly a backstory episode from Moll and L'ak and the unveiling of the Breen as a species as well, somewhat.
Rob: Finally seeing their faces for the first time, um, as it were. But yeah, so it seemed a case of, um, they've got two ideas and they've sort of like smashed them together and they don't gel and there's no connection at all. So you've got this backstory of these characters and their forbidden love and their, and their growing connection and their, um, their dependence on each other, um, the revelation of why they are doing what they're doing, why they are on the run. And then tying that with this connection to Star Trek canon, um, it's to just be the platform for them to tell this story. There's no, for me, there was no gelling and no blending and it didn't really coordinate well for me, and like, especially, it seems so much of a case of we have to have it on the Enterprise, but there's no crew here, so we don't need to worry about that. So, everything that has happened, we talk about, and everyone's very emotional, especially, well, Burnham's always you know, has her emotions on her sleeve, are talking about these mirror universe characters and all this exciting stuff that happened, like it happened off stage. Yeah! It's like I was watching, you know, watching Greek theater in sci fi. Oh, this amazing stuff happened just over there. Just over there. You want to bring it on stage? No, no, no. No, it's just over there. So we find out about even the mirror verse Saru is a good guy. there going. Oh, come on.
Kevin: Well, yeah, and we already knew that Captain Kirk had managed to turn mirror Spock to the, to the light, so to speak. Um, and we knew from Deep Space Nine that that had not gone so well.
Rob: Did not go well at all
Kevin: Yes. And the fact that Spock, that mirror Spock is kind of, you know, there's that moment where Burnham's on the bridge looking at Spock's station and going, Oh, that's where my brother would have sat on this Enterprise. Um, kind of reflecting on this mirror version of her brother, wistfully, and not knowing what had become of him. He was probably strung up for high treason against the Terran Empire.
Rob: The only thing that would have survived of him was his evil goatee.
Kevin: I've heard a couple of other takes on this episode where people are saying, if you go there, it is a clear opportunity to give a glimpse of some Mirror characters, even if they're not there because it's so distant in the past now, there's maybe a log entry or something like that, and we see, we see Mirror Ethan Peck with a goatee, or we see, uh, mirror Action Saru, like both of those characters could have had cameos in this episode, but didn't. And, uh, I've heard some, you know, fan theories that that was the intent with this episode, but the actor scheduling didn't quite work out and they had to, had to pivot at the last minute, but it leaves this episode feeling like a beautiful stage and nothing is really played on that stage.
Rob: Yeah, very much so. It just seemed like, you know, the old days of, um, of Star Trek in the 90s where they had to borrow each other's uniforms. So, like, Riker's in, um, a Deep Space Nine uniform, I believe. Was that something from Generations? Where you're just going, um, let's just use the, you know, Strange New Worlds set and, uh, mess it up a bit.
Kevin: So I have it straight in my head, because the, as you most of the action in this episode is implied off screen, and so what I, what I understand is that Mirror Spock, his crew of the ISS Enterprise, which was fighting for reforms in the Terran Empire, was driven out by the powers that be, that it became a ship of refugees who fled into the Prime Universe that we know, and got stuck somehow in this transdimensional space, like they made it 99 percent of the way into our universe, but not quite and ended up kind of lodged in this pocket from which they then fled into our universe to take up lives, uh, as normal people, you know, just, uh, don't mention the war sort of thing.
Rob: Don't mention the war, yeah, all led by the heroic Mirror Saru.
Kevin: That's right. And Dr. Carmen Cho, which is a name that was dropped at the end of this episode. So prominently that I thought, surely that is meant to be someone we knew about, but no, that was a a character created for this episode.
Rob: Just for that?
Kevin: Yeah, never mentioned before and, uh, we may never, uh, mention them again. But the, this junior science officer who came to our universe on board this ISS Enterprise and took up life in the Federation, became a scientist, this researcher, these researchers working with Dr. Vellek on the Progenitors' tech, decided, okay, I am going to hide one of the clues on that ship that I was a refugee on and so they return to the pocket universe to drop the key on the ship and this is meant to be a lesson that I have already forgotten to the who are seeking the Progenitor's tech. This character we've never heard of before, who is a refugee, escaped the Mirror Universe, became a well respected scientist in the Federation, only to return to their wrecked ship, to leave a clue for people hundreds of years later to discover. It is so convoluted, and it really doesn't amount to anything, is the thing. Like, I'm okay with, with canon backflips if they are in service of something, but there was nothing really here.
Rob: No, there was a lot of, there was a lot of to ing and fro ing and moving and shaking and all these big things that they were, you know, signaling that we had to feel connected with and feel the awe of, because it was only half of what the episode was about, and really that half was kind of in the background, it didn't really hit anything it was meant to. Even that shot of, uh, the Enterprise right at the end being pulled out into, you know, a thousand years in the future to live again, I'm there, yeah, the Mirrorverse, uh, Enterprise, live again, I'm there going, is that going to come back? If it does, it should, but will it? I don't know, because
Kevin: It's hard to understand how it could, like, this wrecked ancient ship, like, what, what is it gonna do to the story of this season? I don't know.
Rob: Exactly, is there going to be another Burn? And so therefore, you know, um, Yeah, the only thing that works is the old analog spaceship. I don't know. I'm not even gonna try and predict anymore. I will stop there. Yes.
Kevin: But all said I think the true tragedy of this episode is that once they free that ISS Enterprise from the the rift, the job of piloting it back to Starfleet Headquarters is given to Owosekun and Detmer and not Rhys who we have learned, prominently, is the biggest fan of the Constitution class starship.
Rob: Yes, so let's focus on the main story, the finding out the, the two star crossed lovers.
Kevin: Yeah, what did you think of this unveil of the Breen cargo bay?
Rob: The big reveal … of a cargo bay. Everything happens there. A romance happens over like many, many months or something. Apparently, they've got like a whole discreet suite where they can just hang out in a cargo bay share their feelings. Yeah, look, it was like, because we were talking about what species is, uh, is he from, and I was there going, he's a little bit Klingon, he's a little bit, so therefore, like, when it was revealed to be the Breen, I'm there going, ah, okay.
Kevin: It there all along too. In the very first episode, they had the helmets on with the, with the light, uh, the horizontal Cylon light across their eyes. And, that, that's a signature of the Breen as we saw them in Deep Space Nine.
Rob: It is, I was missing the kind of horse face metal, uh, Breen faces, because the Breen are very uncool,
Kevin: Yeah, they're walking tin cans, really.
Rob: Very much so. And they do feel like they should be coming from a different franchise. But I always loved the fact that they looked absolutely ridiculous. I love their sound. But they tried to make them too cool here. They redesigned the heads. I'm going no no no no no no no no no
Kevin: get away with that. They were
Rob: never that cool. You don't understand the Breen. The Breen are not cool. That's what makes them cool.
Kevin: These are the future Breen though, you know, they've had time to get their together.
Rob: I knew you'd use that excuse. So many other people are gonna use that excuse. I'm going no, no, no. Once you're uncool, you're always uncool. It's cultural, it's ingrained, it's a race of memory, um, so yes, I mean, uh, the performance of both actors who are playing Moll and L'ak, they're very good performers. I love, um, the guy playing L'ak, he's doing quite a lot
Kevin: I agree with that, they were doing a lot with a little in this
Rob: episode. Yes. Yeah, yeah, yeah. And, uh, he's doing a lot online of sharing his experience and how, uh, humbled he is to be doing Star Trek and all that type of stuff. So that's lovely to see. Um, but it's the usual thing. You're there going, alright, okay, this is the episode where they try and reason with the bad guys. We find out more about the bad guys and the bad guys aren't gonna reason. Um, and so, it's a common trope, there was no way that any ground was gonna be made, um, they've just escaped, so if there's gonna be any changes to their, you know, morals, or their, or their philosophy, it's gonna come down later down the track, this is the episode where they try, and there's no possible way in hell, Kevin, that they're ever going to be able to find any common ground.
Kevin: It reminded me a lot of what we saw of the Orion homeworld on Lower Decks in the most recent season where we, you know, we learned Tendi is this crown princess. She's part of this royal family who has, you know, heir to some, some throne or, or fortune, and it's, we learn here it's the same for L'ak, like L'ak is a minor functionary in a, in a major family who I guess just does not have, uh, his loyalty in the end and he ends up betraying them. And gets a blood curse put on him of some kind that they're going to chase him down to the ends of the galaxy. Uh, so yeah, I was waiting for the moment that he did the unforgivable thing that would earn him the blood curse and in the end he kind of shoots a couple people in the shoulder. Very, very careful not to kill anybody, and I guess that is meant to reinforce the unreasonableness of the Breen, that, you know, these, just shooting these important people in the shoulder is enough to earn you, uh, a, a death sentence. So I wonder just how much, you know, we, like we did in Lower Decks, we're going to return to the Breen homeworld and, and re meet these people and finally talk them into some form of reason, or talk them down from their plan to, to kill off L'ak and Moll. Uh, I don't know, it, it feels like that's where this is headed, and it's, it feels very parallel to what we were doing in Lower Decks, to me.
Rob: Yes, it feels like a very parallel to Lower Decks, but Lower Decks did it well. Um, proves, it proves, um, like, the limitless of animation. So, like, they had, you know, if any, if anything, Discovery had more time, um, because not only did Lower Decks only have half an hour, but they also still had a split story going on. But in Lower Decks Orions have been kind of shown as much or as little as the Breen, but to show an entire culture, an entire family structure, an entire hierarchy, about
Kevin: fly in of the shuttle over surface of the planet, and we got a bunch of their structures and signage and all sorts of things, and here we got a cargo bay with a couple of cargo containers and a fancy backdrop. Yeah.
Rob: That's all we got. It really showed the limitations of going, the big reveal of the Breen who have been, who only came in during the 90s, I think only, only through Deep Space Nine,
Kevin: were mentioned in an episode of TNG as a, as a boogeyman sort of, Oh, this ship is really damaged and it looks like they encountered the Breen. Dun, dun,
Rob: The Breen, right.
Kevin: That's, pretty all we got of the Breen.
Rob: It should have been this massive, big, incredible moment, what they were trying to do.
Kevin: Maybe this was like, we don't want to show too much this episode because the big reveal is later in the season.
Rob: I just love your, your optimism, Kevin. It was a shame, especially because we've seen it done so well in Lower Decks, where they just go, okay, we've only got this time, we've got, yeah, the limitless of imagination and animation, let's just show, everything, like you said. Sweeping vistas, and then this intricate structure of not only how the, their fam, Tendi's family is structured, but also how the society is structured, and they did it in ten minutes. And this was an entire, you know, let's say, let's be generous, twenty five minutes, and all we got was a corridor, and a vague idea of curses and family structure, and it's a generic one of going, okay, this is the, the, the young rebellious kid who's not, who's going against the family, that's been done 150 times, um,
Kevin: got, uh, got, some, a fair bit of Book and Moll connection, around their shared father figure.
Rob: Yes, and that's the thing, they spend a lot of time talking about a character we've never met and never seen, and not really had any invested interest in, and they're going, let's do an entire episode talking about this character's past. Like, unlike Curzon, who we had seven seasons to find out about and then occasionally appear in flashbacks or, you know, taking over Odo.
Kevin: Mm.
Rob: is a character who's kind of just rocked up and going, you need to invest in this character now. And I'm there going, but I don't. I don't. I really don't. So, yeah, it was interesting, and it's that case of there was no way they were going to make common ground. It's that, you know, because we've been watching these shows so long, we know how this structure is. These are the antagonists, they will not, you know, unless, until you get to near the final end, where everything comes to a head, where decisions need to be made and twists need to be incorporated, there was nothing going to be, nothing was going to be achieved here, only, you know, uh, finding a bit more about each of the characters past and the character that we've never met before. Um, no, I'm not invested in the previous Book, but, um, how about you? Did it,
Kevin: No, I'm the same. starting to become conspicuous that like they've never cast that role. Like we've never even seen that mentor in flashback. Uh, and when there was so many other flashbacks this episode, um, it's surprising that they didn't, uh, didn't show us a little bit of those former relationships.
Rob: Because it hasn't played a big part in Book's character,
Kevin: No, it was really, you know, when we first met Book, he explained, I got my name from the last courier that had this name. There's always been a Book in this sector, and that's pretty much it.
Rob: Yeah, so, yeah, the C plot was, um, the, uh, was our new number one, and how they take responsibility of being, uh, the captain on, um, on Discovery.
Kevin: We got to watch Rayner work. Uh, and he did a good job, like it was almost an non-event, uh, because he did a good job, I thought.
Rob: Yeah, and I mean, there's a reason why he made it to Captain. He was good at what he did. He was just a, he's a, he's a prickly bastard. It's that, it's that episode, again, it's that trope where you're going, ah, the heart of gold is, the heart of stone is starting to, to melt. But, you know, you love, I love seeing that stuff. I love seeing the hard-ass going, you know, acknowledging something good.
Kevin: is still working for the show. Like all, uh, all the bridge crew are, you feel like they're just slightly on edge because the grumpy old man is in charge, uh, this uh, and that is a nice kind of, uh, energy shift on that bridge, I think, still.
Rob: Yeah, yeah, the self importance of Burnham does still shit me when she just looks at him going, I believe you, man. I believe in you. I so much about you. I believe in you. And he's there going, well, thank you for believing in me. I'm going, Oh ho
Kevin: We did have a conversation about whether this mission is too dangerous for the captain to go on this week.
Rob: Yes! There we go. That's the one thing I was there, yeah, I forgot, I can't believe I forgot that, I've been so caught up in non mirror universes. Yeah, she's there going, I'm going on it, and he literally goes, um, no?
Kevin: It's my job to say that's a bad idea. Ha ha ha! And she goes, good, you did your job. See you later.
Rob: Because you've only come into this season, the final season, I've been doing all the stuff here, this my show.
Kevin: But that is like, that is a true Starfleet cliché of, uh, you know, it goes back to Riker and Picard of Riker saying, I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't try to talk you out of this. And he said, good, you did your job. I'm going on the mission anyway. And it's, I, it's, it is a, um. It is an enjoyable, um, echo through the years in Star Trek and hearing it again here, it was like, Ah, good, you remember what this is meant to be.
Rob: Yes, and I definitely do appreciate a more prickly connection as opposed to what it was before where it was just a love fest. Everyone loved each other and everyone was amazing and everything was smug. It's like the second season of modern Doctor Who with, uh, David Tennant and Billy Piper, where they, there's no conflict at all. They the, they just, too lovey dovey, and they're smug, and they travel through time and space, and they think they're better than everybody else, and it grates on me. It really, really, uh, gets my hackles up. But, and so, this has been a breath of fresh air to bring, uh, bring him in and show that, uh, you know, that difference of opinion. And conflict, not just for the sake of it, it's been, you know, quite well constructed how that, uh, is being done.
Kevin: I'm so torn about it though. Like I was thinking of it this week is how much I enjoy Rayner as an addition to the show, but how many times has Discovery started a new season going, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I know we have all these characters from previous seasons that we haven't done anything with yet, but this
Rob: Let's bring in a new one.
Kevin: a new character.
Rob: Exactly. Let's bring in a new guy because you sure you don't want to, oh, and or they bring in new people on the bridge, new ensigns and name them like they've always been there and they're going no no what no no don't just bring them on and name them and and it's sort of like gaslighting going yeah you've always known these people you know this character right that's why we're focusing on you know this brand new number one yeah they've always been there all these wide variety of new characters we're bringing in they're always here they're always here you're gonna miss us when we're gone. And i'm there going, you can't, you can't manipulate my emotions.
Kevin: mean like Book and Adira when they went to the 32nd century, like that is they're new additions to an already bloated cast, I feel like, that has not, uh, had its due. So yeah, on the one hand I feel like it is almost a shame that yet again, they are attempting to, I'm gonna unkindly say fix Discovery, but I, I don't know, like find a new, uh, a new thing to do with Discovery with a new character this season when we, we, whenever they go back to one of the characters that's been hovering in the background, it is so satisfying.
Rob: Ah, just, yeah, I'm there going, it's, we're gonna bring up an impro trope. Everything you need to finish off story, is already there, you know, don't look ahead, look behind, and yeah, it's, it's classic storytelling that um, they've dropped the ball. They've got so many interesting, uh, wonderful actors
Kevin: In impro, we say, don't reach outside the circle of expectation. In Star Trek, it should be like, don't break the warp bubble, you know?
Rob: Hey, nice, nice. Look at that, blend, synergy, synergy. Impro and Star Trek coming together. Ooh, an improvised Star Trek show, do you, do I hear you hmm. ha ha ha. Alright, so,
Kevin: The mirror universe.
Rob: yes, so, um, let's go where, um, uh, not many people have gone before. Well, some shows in the franchise never went there. I'm looking at you, TNG. Some people went there five times! I'm looking at you, Deep Space Nine. Um, and uh, and then some people went there for a two part episode and they thought they'd do it with completely no characters from the prime universe, which I watched last night for the first
Kevin: Oh did you now.
Rob: I watched both episodes, so that's,
Kevin: your tone of voice isn't speaking highly, but I look forward to talking about it. Let's, let's talk about these in order. I definitely went back and rewatched Mirror, Mirror from the original series. Is that a show you're familiar with?
Rob: I'm aware of it, I haven't watched Mirror, Mirror. I know, it's like the, it's where it all started, but I know this is the, this is in season two?
Kevin: Uh, yes. Season two. Mirror, Mirror is season two, episode 10 of the original series. And I think we talked about it before as one of my picks for a great Uhura episode. Uh, not just because she's going around in a midriff revealing uniform, but she has these scenes on the bridge with Evil Sulu, who is, Evil Sulu is hot for Mirror Universe Uhura, and uh, is engaging in a bit of workplace harassment on the bridge. And Uhura, uh, uses that to their advantage to distract him in an opportune moment away from some lights on his security panel while they are adjusting the transporter in order to return to their universe. So she's, she's playing hard to get and, uh, you know, holds a knife to his throat and, and does a, a lot of, um, a lot of like really cool stuff because, they play the full richness of that character's experience. Not only does Uhura go and have this, like, superhero moment on the bridge where she's toying with, uh, evil Sulu's emotions, but she also has the conversation with Kirk ahead of time going, I don't know if I can do this. This is really freaking me out. And, Kirk gives her a pep talk and says, Uhura, you're the only person that can do this. We can't do this without you. And, you know, um, it is a really, I feel like inspiring, well rounded moment for that character. And in reality, like, Mirror, Mirror, I'm, every time I go back and watch it, I'm surprised by what a tight package it is. Like the fact that all this epic, uh, second universe stuff grew out of it in canon makes me think of it as more than it was. And when I go back and watch it, it really is a pretty, it feels like a shorter episode than it is.
Rob: Most of the expansion happened in DS9,
Kevin: Yeah, that's right. So really, like, there's a transporter accident, uh, during negotiations with a planet for their dilithium supply, and the planet's saying, look, we know that the Federation is peaceful now, but we can't give our dilithium crystals to, you know, a Starfleet that might misuse them someday. So we are morally obligated not to give you mining rights. And then they beam up and they find themselves on the alternate Enterprise that is ready to blow this planet out of the stars for refusing to give them dilithium crystals. And it's like this nice kind of mirror on the same mission, even. And Kirk, who is the captain of the ship in both universes, he discovers he's under orders to, to, you know, commit genocide in order to secure the mining rights of this planet by whatever means. And so they are not just trying to get back to their universe. Kirk is also trying to avoid committing genocide without getting himself killed by his crew who are prepared to murder him for advancement. And it's just like this compounding stress as Kirk, McCoy, Scotty, and Uhura, who are the four members of the landing party, kind of work secretly on this ship to try and not give themselves away and escape. And of course, uh, Spock turns out to be the one that can't be fooled and, uh, he catches them in the act of planning to leave the ship. Uh, and Kirk gives him a talk about you, you're a man of logic in my universe. I bet you're the same here. Surely you can see how all of this evil empire stuff makes no sense. And it takes one man to begin change. And, and, uh, the final line from, uh, goatee Spock
Rob: is, I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.
Kevin: I will consider it.
Rob: See, See, I was, I was doing an airplane reference. So yeah, it's very much, like, any, any time in franchises when they introduce this new concept, it's more, Less about the universe that they're in, obviously, it's more the, the containment of the adventure to get home, so it's very much, as you were saying, it's a tight little story with this hint of the world around it, and it's then when we return to it that, um, Deep Space Nine went, let's play. Let's not only see, let's use the gag of seeing our well known characters with their, with all their, you know, prime universe restrictions off. Um, but also expand that universe. And they did, you know, it's uh, it's, it's how it works. Start with hints of it, but focus on getting the, the adventure of the characters home.
Kevin: that's what I feel like Deep Space Nine really brought to the table. Their episode is Crossover, which is season two, episode 23.
Rob: It is.
Kevin: Um, but it's, as you said, the first of five episodes in Deep Space Nine.
Rob: Not all of them are gold, but they, um, they
Kevin: it mildly. The sad for me for me, they start strongest and end weakest.
Rob: Look, anytime when you go, let's take the Ferengi over to the Mirror Universe, I'm there going, all right, I think we're out done. I did like the introduction of, uh, Jennifer Sisko Mirror Universe version. That was a kind of nice addition. I love that going, we've got this character, we've got this actress who's only been hinted at and played by, you know, prophet version of her, um, to bring the actual actress on to play a legitimate mirror verse version. And again, like, I will keep on saying that one of the most cons you know, probably the second most no, for me it's the most consistently excellent, high quality acting cast of Deep Space Nine. They can jump throw them into this mirror universe and it's not cringey at all. They are genuinely playing mirror characters, not just, you know, pantomime versions of their, uh, of their prime, uh, prime characters.
Kevin: Yeah, I think what Deep, for me, Deep Space Nine did is they realized what they had here in a mirror universe is a playground where irretrievable things can happen, like characters we know and love can die or come back to life in Yeah. Oh yeah. Odo takes a phaser shot, explodes in a pile of goop and it is gone. Yeah.
Rob: Like, that's in the first one, isn't it? That's Crossover.
Kevin: Yeah. Yeah. And, uh, the, the realization, I think that they can take those big swings, make those big changes. And then the end of the episode returned to the regular universe. It, it, um, it both makes these episodes extra enjoyable because we get to see those big swings, but it also, I think, stretches the logic of the Mirror Universe a bit. Because if the Mirror Universe is this place where everyone is at each other's throats and killing each other for advancement at all times, how do we end up with a universe that is so close to the one we know for multiple centuries at a time?
Rob: Well, that's the thing, yeah, this universe is not sustainable. The more you spend in there, they're going, if everyone is so bloodthirsty and everyone is so violent, everyone literally will be dead by like the end of the year. A case of their turnaround is so high about sacrificing and backstabbing and they're going, this ain't sustainable.
Kevin: It's kind of an anti Star Trek in the sense that like, Star Trek has this hopeful vision of the future where everyone, every, like, every individual can play a part in bringing about this hopeful future, and it takes all of us to get there, and the Mirror Universe is kind of like, ah, you lose a person here, commit a murder there. It all works out in the end. We still have a Terok Nor with the same security code on it.
Rob: Yeah, it's just, it's just that case of, like, even if you ingrain that into a show, say, like, Game of Thrones, where the, the, the treachery of rulership and how, who, the game you play to get to the top, I understand that, but alliances and stuff, but in this, everyone is backstabbing each other. There's no loyalty to anybody ever, and so I'm there going, it's not sustainable. If you spend too much time in this universe, the logic of it unravels.
Kevin: And it is not sustainable for the show either. Like, I feel five episodes is all you could do before it falls apart completely as a concept.
Rob: And at least with Deep Space Nine, they spread it out over five
Kevin: They spread it out and the later episodes take it less seriously and are more playful with it. That's, I think that's why we end with a Ferengi episode. It is It is a pure, uh, romp of comedy, uh, by the end, where jokes are at the expense of the premise.
Rob: It's the only, well, logically it's the only place they could have gone where you, you start out with Crossover which is amazing and so tense and it's that same thing. They expand the universe but it's just how do we get Bashir and Kira back? Um, and then at the, and then the machinations of O'Brien kidnapping Sisko and Sisko's wife and all that stuff and Mirror Sisko's dead, all that type of stuff. Then to have the last one going, you know what, this isn't a dangerous place anymore. You can just slip over it and it's now a financial opportunity.
Kevin: right. The mirror characters are coming to steal orbs, uh, from the prime universe, you know?
Rob: Yeah.
Kevin: our profit making plan of the week.
Rob: Insane. Just absolutely insane. But I do, uh, I I do love a good, uh, Deep Space Nine, uh, mirror episode.
Kevin: Yeah, so just to run them down, we had Crossover where Kira goes over and, and hears the history of Spock's reforms weakening the Terran Empire, and the Terran Empire has now fallen in favor of the Klingon Cardassian alliance. That's something I, I often forget is that there are really two eras in the Mirror Universe. There's the Terran Empire, and the Klingon Cardassian alliance.
Rob: And we have, we are introduced in Crossover to, I believe, the greatest, uh, Mirror Universe character, and that is, uh, Mirror Kira.
Kevin: The Intendant.
Rob: Oh, Nana Visitor is incredible in this.
Kevin: What gets me most about The Intendant is that by the end, she has, we are given to believe she has been in custody under interrogation by Garak for a, for a year. Um, and yet she is still wearing the same catsuit with the same, same perfectly coiffed hair and the same crown. Uh, I don't, I don't get how, uh, how The Intendant is given access to, uh, such, um, beauty facilities.
Rob: Oh, it's mirror universe, quantum mechanics stuff, uh, Kevin. It's, you know, it's, it's, it's way, way beyond our pay grade. Um, but yeah, that whole very 90s sci fi thing. It happened in Red Dwarf as well when we have, you know, dark versions of our characters that we love. They tend into, they're, not only are they evil, but they're bloodthirsty, but also they are sexually liberated, and they are possibly on the, on the queer, on the queer spectrum. They are evil! They are, they, and so go, alright, okay. So this is the mirror, this is, this is the 90s version of sort of like, if you're going full evil, let's just, let's just make 'em queer as well.
Kevin: Odo dies at the end of Crossover as they escape the station. Um, the next episode is Through the Looking Glass, where as you said, Mirror Sisko is dead and Jennifer Sisko comes to the Prime Universe looking for our Sisko's help. Um, he is lured into the, the Mirror Universe station. to rescue his son who has been taken, uh, sort of gently hostage by his mother.
Rob: That's, that's Shattered Mirror. The one before is O'Brien comes and takes Sisko.
Kevin: Thats right!
Rob: There's Through the Looking Glass in season three, Shattered Mirror in season four.
Kevin: That's right. So it happens twice that Sisko reluctantly has to go to the mirror universe to sort something out.
Rob: saying they're repeating? we are. Running out of ideas? Yes.
Kevin: gets to meet the rebels, the crew that is mostly his friends from the station in the prime universe.
Rob: Because we did, meet Mirror Sisko in Crossover, because he was having, he was having a thing with Kira.
Kevin: They rescue Jennifer, Rom is killed by Garak. So it feels like in each one of these episodes, someone dies. Uh, they, they hold the entire station hostage by activating the self destruct using the same code that, uh, that the, um, Sisko says a line like, let's hope your Terok Nor was created by the same, uh, Cardassian designer mine was.
Rob: That's justification, that's good justification, right? That's, that's waving.
Kevin: Absolutely. So yes, Shattered Mirror, you're right. Jennifer lures Jake into the Mirror Universe and Sisko has to follow him, where they have built a Defiant, of course, using stolen plans that Smiley took from
Rob: I forgot Smiley. They call him Smiley in the Mirror Universe.
Kevin: Yes, we'll come back to Smiley. Enjoyable character in both universes, O'Brien.
Rob: Love Colm Meaney.
Kevin: Um, this is the one where we have Mirror Worf, uh, who is the Regent, and he's a, he is a bumbling king sort of, uh, archetype, I think. Everyone's afraid of him, but he's got no idea what he's doing. Uh, Nog dies in this one. Uh, Nog, uh, Nog is running the bar and is shot by the Intendant in the corridor. And also Jennifer dies, uh, defending Jake from the
Rob: That's right. That's right. Yep. Not sustainable.
Kevin: Yeah, and then Resurrection, uh, Bareil, who in the Prime Universe has tragically died and left Kira heartbroken. Bareil comes back as a thief, who is here to steal an orb, uh, in cahoots with the Intendant, and, uh, sort of, yeah, leads, leads Kira on. Kira allows herself to start to fall back in love with this man, and then, and then discovers he's up to no good, and,
Rob: And much like, much like Kirk does with Mirror Universe Spock, Kira is able to, uh, uh, help, uh, Vedek Bareil, Mirror Vedek Bareil, uh, have a change of heart and a change of, uh, consciousness.
Kevin: Yes, I guess we'll we'll see what the future holds for, for the Mirror Universe with Bareil's influence. final one is The Emperor's New Cloak, which is the Ferengi comedy in which, um, a favorite line of mine is, uh, someone says to Quark, well the smart thing to do would be to go back to your universe now, and Quark goes, Do we look smart to you? Rom spends most of this episode musing at all of the things that don't make sense about the mirror universe concept. He remarks several times that O'Brien is kind of the same in both universes, and why is that? And we have Mirror Ezri, who is, uh, who is the eyeshadowed, cat suited, Um, kind of semi evil version who is kind of in love with the Intendant and kind of doubting whether that's a good thing to be and I don't know. Ezri is I think a bit of Ill considered eye candy in this episode, for me. She's kind of a, a stereotype of, of male gaze, I think.
Rob: Yeah, it does become a, uh, a reoccurring thing within the mirror universes as we go forward in to the franchise when we return. It becomes the traditional heterosexual male eye candy, uh, how the women are portrayed. Which you can justify within how this society is and how evil it is, but you're kind of leaning into it and, uh, yeah. So, it's, it, this is where it gets a bit messy, cause the great thing about, like, you know, sexy evil Kira, she was in the full body suit, and her characterization was so grandiose and so theatrical and so, so grande dame. Uh, the sexuality comes without having it to be, uh, um, really in the gutter, if, if it were, if that makes sense.
Kevin: With Ezri here, like every, every male character around her is in love with her. And then it turns out she's actually sleeping with the Intendant and it's like, Ooh, there's a
Rob: Evil lesbians,
Kevin: lesbian about it. Yeah, absolutely.
Rob: Yeah. I like, I like you saying it very resigned as well. Yes. We're both tired of it going. Yeah. Well, right. Evil lesbians. We
Kevin: We do get, uh, we do get nice Brunt though. I enjoyed, uh, I enjoyed
Rob: That's right.
Kevin: Coombs as good Brunt. And
Rob: ha ha, any, any, look, any time with Jeffrey Coombs is good time, I say.
Kevin: And then the, the Mirror Universe is not seen again until Enterprise, which is in the past. So actually this, the Emperor's New Cloak is the furthest in Mirror Universe history that we have traveled. We don't know what has happened after the Regent Worf fails to get a cloaking device for the Alliance in the Mirror Universe. And so it would be nice to kind of know how the political forces of the Mirror Universe change after that. I, I hope we will get to hear some version of that story someday. But yeah, Enterprise is, as all of Enterprise is, a prequel. And we to see how the, a small piece of how the Terran Empire came to be the powerful force in the galaxy that, uh, that we learn it is, uh, way back in Mirror, Mirror. And so, having just watched this for the first time, I am dying to hear what you made of it.
Rob: Look, uh, it's always a tricky thing when you get to the final season of Enterprise where they made the bold decision of doing nothing but two parters. Um, and so sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, and with a very promising start. I love that return to the first contact moment, yeah, and all the music kicks in, the, the, you know, the same shots, you've got, they must have got permission from James Cromwell to have him, but he didn't want to come back and he was probably looking too old anyway, so they have a double stand in for any of the physical action, and then instead of the handshake, he pulls a gun, blows away the Vulcan and they all storm the ship.
Kevin: It sets a tone, Rob. It sets a tone that I think is, is, um, don't take this too seriously.
Rob: Yeah, yeah. And then we go into, um, you know, no, It's been a long road. Yeah, we go into, you know, dark, ominous mu music, and instead of, um, snapshots and footage of great moments in discovery, we have pirate ships, and warplanes, and marching soldiers, and we have the very, very dated graphic of the, of the Terran Empire logo come up.
Kevin: Oh yeah, it's very clip art, isn't it?
Rob: It's very clip art.
Kevin: I love the shot in there where the, the, the ship that we see every week in the Enterprise credits, it's kind of like an unnamed prototype ship, but it's got two nacelles and it kind of whooshes down from the top of the screen. And this week it shoots a bunch of photon torpedoes on a planet that explodes in a bunch of fire.
Rob: Ha
Kevin: it's just so, so nice how they echo this beautiful, hopeful, swooshing starship and turn it into this instrument of death unexpectedly. I really enjoy it.
Rob: The whole thing about the Mirror Universe is that it only works if you have people from the prime universe within there. So you see that balance of the good and the evil lesbian. With this they make the decision of going, we are going to set two episodes entirely in the Mirror Universe and you have no real, you, you have a hint of Archer as a spirit or a voice in Mirror Archer's head near the end of episode two, but you are in this universe with nobody to anchor you, and so you have to invest yourself for 90 minutes with evil versions of characters that you've been watching for three years and
Kevin: Right.
Rob: It takes a remarkable achievement to take a solidly good actor a legitimately good award winning award nominated actor of Scott Bakula and and give him 90 minutes where he comes across as one of the worst actors in the history of the world.
Kevin: I don't know, Rob. I am not Scott Bacula's biggest fan. I enjoyed watching a lot of Quantum Leap as a kid, but I have to say it was never for his acting chops. I think he, he has done a lot of admirable work, but I don't count him as one of my favorite actors. I don't know if you feel that differently.
Rob: Ah, well, I feel differently now after watching this episode where it relies on him playing a different version of Archer and there were so many moments where I'm going, I mean, I'm not a big fan of a lot of the cast as actors on, on, on, um, Enterprise, uh, the only person who steps out, hammer and tong, miles above anybody else, and we've said his name many, many times, John Billingsley is incredible. He is absolutely incredible. And I'm there going, he, he should be in Deep Space Nine hamming it up with all the others, because he didn't ham it up. He was friggin amazing. His mirror universe of the Doctor was amazing. Incredible. Every, every, yeah, chilling, and subtle, and menacing, and beautiful. He played his character, he, he was, he wasn't acting, he was being, everyone else was acting evil, and I hated it. I absolutely hated it. It was so disappointing. There's some lovely tidbits there of sort of like, you know, connecting it back to The Tholian Web.
Kevin: Yeah, so yeah, this is the mission of, it ends up being Captain Archer, but at the start of this episode, Archer is, is not in command of the Enterprise, but he, he takes control of it in order to go into Tholian space and investigate this report that they have, the Tholians have stolen a starship from the future prime universe, from their perspective. Uh, and it turns out to be the USS Defiant, we met, we learned in the original series episode, the Tholian Web was kind of blinking in and out of existence and nearly took, uh, Kirk with it. Um, and now we know where that ship went and it was a, an amazing excuse to see some awesome recreations of not just the bridge, but a bunch of other sets of, uh, the original Constitution class.
Rob: That, that, look, the sets are incredible.
Kevin: So much money on screen for this episode, Rob.
Rob: So much money. Um, uh, they should have put some more money into acting classes. Um, uh, the, the shots of like, for Enterprise, you know, is, is notorious for its, uh, dated CGI stuff, but the, the, um, the Defiant looked beautiful. The, the, you know, yeah, hold up, and in, having it in that space dock on the side of an asteroid, uh, was amazing, and having it escape, and how, like, how it fired its photon torpedoes and all that type of stuff looked beautiful, and yep, the, the replicas of the costumes from that time, they never, I guess they justified it because they came over and their only outfits they had left were the,
Kevin: Yeah, there's this moment where, uh, where, um, Archer has dressed himself in the uniform and he kind of goes, look what I found in the computer banks. And, and the other one goes, wow, that's a lame costume. And he goes, don't say it's lame. And pretty soon they're all wearing it. So yeah, it's, uh, it. It feels like they have all dressed themselves in those classic uniforms on a lark. It's like this weird, unserious beat in a very serious situation.
Rob: So weird. And we see the, and it's a Tholian, right? The Tholian is the full, uh, CGI creature that looks just like it's,
Kevin: That's right. And don't forget about the Gorn.
Rob: I was gonna get to the Gorn. I was gonna get to the Gorn, so it was like It was that evolution from the Gorn from the original series. This is a CGI Gorn kind of looked like the original series, but kind of looked, you know, had more articulation, obviously, before we go full Strange New Worlds, and have the, you know, the Gorn look absolutely nothing like what they did in the original series, and with tails!
Kevin: Yeah it's a nice midpoint. It makes it feel like an organic
Rob: But yeah, but it's there, and then it's gone, um, you're going, Alright, okay, that was a thing, um. And so, there's like 90 minutes of, of, of torture and ham acting and, uh, sexualization and objectification of only the female characters.
Kevin: Okay, Hoshi becomes Empress at the end, Rob, so it's all justified.
Rob: Um, yeah. Yeah, but you know what we were lacking? Evil lesbian action.
Kevin: Yeah, that's true.
Rob: Yes, and it just showed how, um, uh, look, there's been a lot of flack given to the actress who plays T'Pol, and I do not want to add to that, but
Kevin: She does well with what she's given in this episode, and in the series in general, I feel.
Rob: Yeah, there were some moments near the end when she was trying to be passionate and trying to be, we need to do this and have, have an almost change of heart type of stuff that didn't really work for me. Um, but, uh, yes, it, I think Discovery proved it as well. If you spend too much time, In the Mirror Universe, without a break, um, it gets way too much, and yeah, uh, this, it was a chore by the end, Kevin Yank, it was a chore.
Kevin: Yeah, the, I think for me, the most interesting bit of Mirror Universe lore we get from this is just this idea that Vulcans were seen as a lesser species within the Terran Empire, they were like this conquered race and, and kind of served at the pleasure of their human masters. Uh, that, that is, that is interesting and shines a new light on Spock's role aboard the Enterprise in Mirror, Mirror um, in an interesting way. But it is one small element of what is quite a mess of like, let's throw every idea we can into a two parter episode and somehow try and make it fit together.
Rob: Yeah, look, there's some ideas in there that I liked, and it's just, it was just all too much. We needed that balance. Just, if we brought in Archer from the Prime universe into it, how would they cope? Um, you know, the, you know, uh, Prime Doctor going up against, um, you know, Mirror Doctor. That type of stuff. That's what we love about the mirror universe, it only, you know, the dark only exists, you know, the light can only be seen in the dark or the dark only, uh, has its power if there's a light to, to be balanced off. This was just all dark and I'm I don't care for, I don't, I'm not rooting for anybody here. Are we meant to root for anybody here? Are we meant to support anybody here? Or is this just a bunch of stuff that happens that we're watching from the outside? So we have gone from Mirrors, where there is just a whiff of Mirror Universe, to finishing off with Enterprise, where there is, you know, let's just go the whole hog. Um, and we haven't even talked about Discovery's Mirror Universe episodes where, uh, they lean heavily into the violence and the blood and the gore uh, and evil, and evil leader Tilly.
Kevin: Yeah, absolutely. I, I did not. I don't mind so much the mirror stuff in Discovery. I mean, my, my greatest reservation with it is that in the first season of a show in which we are still getting to know the characters, they spent multiple episodes in a mirror universe where we're getting to meet alternate versions of the characters. And it almost spoke of this insecurity or, or, or unwillingness to invest in creating the platform of strong characters at the start of Discovery. That, yeah, like by spending those several episodes in the Mirror Universe, it robbed us of time getting to know, as we've said again and again in this podcast, Rob, getting to know the characters that would enable us to care for what happened in these stories. Um, so I feel like it, it was well executed, but a well executed misstep in the creation of a new Star Trek series and cast.
Rob: Like I remember watching it going because it flips about halfway through the season or even a bit later and then they just stay there and I'm just there going this is that you're gonna see if you can actually keep this going and it kind of runs out of steam
Kevin: It was part of the original conception for this season, for the series, as I understand it. Like, that was, Lorca from the beginning was is secretly from the Mirror Universe,
Rob: a mirror Lorca.
Kevin: unravel that. Mystery in the first season of this show, but I feel like would have been stronger, you know, pay Jason Isaacs for another season, save that for season two, um, and, and let us get to know this crew a little better before you start subverting them with alternate versions.
Rob: God yeah, let's, yeah, um, and it's, give us at least some hint of Prime Universe Lorca. Like, I would have loved to have seen Jason Isaacs play the nice version of Lorca.
Kevin: I know, I'm still, I'm still hoping somehow, some way they manage to squeeze that into this last season. I don't see anymore, but it'd be nice to, to find a way.
Rob: Look, when it comes to being hopeful about more Jason Isaacs, then I will always join you on that more hopeful bandwagon.
Kevin: I mean, I think the reason I hope for it is he seems like a Star Trek fan. He seems like he'd do it as a favor.
Rob: Yeah, he, he, he's a big old nerd when you see him at, you know, he's a, he's a, he's a big old acting nerd, he loves acting, he's a, you know, he loves the process of, you know, meeting people and hanging out and getting into franchises, you know, he loved being in the Harry Potter franchise, he loved being in Star Trek, so, I love that type of stuff.
Kevin: Yeah. All right. Well, that is, that is the Mirror Universe as it has existed in Star Trek so far. Next week, we're, uh, we're into, uh, an episode entitled Whistlespeak that I've already watched. Have you already watched it, Rob?
Rob: I have not, that is my mission to catch up,
Kevin: Well, I won't spoil it for you, but, uh, I look forward to discussing with you when we're back for the next episode of Subspace Radio.
Rob: Always a pleasure. Cannot wait to do this again. I cannot wait to have everyone listening in on what we have to say about the world of Trek.
Kevin: All right. Until next time, Rob. See you around the galaxy.