If you want to become a successful developer in 2021, communication skills are more important than you might think. In this episode, Dylan Israel from Amazon talks about Agile software practices, teamwork, working with your manager, boundaries, and dealing with anxiety as someone on the shyer or introverted side.
- 00:00 Introduction
- 01:40 What to expect when you join a new team
- 03:39 What is Agile development all about?
- 08:35 Beware companies masquerading as "Agile"
- 12:18 Ask these questions in your interview (and avoid a death march)
- 12:55 Why communication skills are more crucial than you might think
- 15:10 Effective communication is a learned skill
- 16:55 Introverts and extroverts
- 19:00 Communication in the workplace is unique - treat it as such
- 21:40 Books Dylan used to sharpen his communication skills (see links from the episode below)
- 24:17 You don't need to understand Agile that well before applying for jobs
- 25:39 One-way communication (screencasts, talks) vs. two-way communication (team communication)
- 27:30 How to deal with social anxiety (and how anxiety differs from stress)
- 32:30 What to expect from your manager and teammates
- Check out Dylan
- Links from the episode
- Introduction to Clean Code (Scrimba) by Dylan himself
- Clean Code by Uncle Bob
- The Clean Coder (a code of conduct for professional programmers) by Uncle Bob
- Clean Architecutre by Uncle Bob
What is The Scrimba Podcast?
Hear from inspiring developers about how they found meaningful and fulfilling work that that also pays them well. On the #StoriesByScrimba Podcast, you'll hear motivational advice and job-hunting strategies from developers who've been exactly where you are now. We talk to developers about their challenges, learnings, and switching industries in the hopes of inspiring YOU. This is the podcast that provides the inspiration, tools, and roadmaps to move from where you are to work that matters to you and uniquely fits your strengths and talents.