Federal MP Andrew Leigh says Australians are disconnected. And he thinks the decline of religion - amongst a few factors - is making social cohesion worse. Andrew is an atheist, which made John Dickson want to speak to him even more. If he can’t sign on to the church’s beliefs, why does he think society benefits when it has more religious believers?
- Listen to Andrew Leigh's podcast The Good Life.
- A social capital primer from social capital expert Robert Putnam.
- Check out the photo of Andrew and his family that John mentions in the episode.
- Get Andrew's book, Disconnected.
- Check out some of Robert Putnam's books, also mentioned in this episode: American Grace (2012); Better Together (2004)
- More on Andrew's updated research on Australia's social connections:
With OmniPoll, I've just updated data on how many friends Australians have & how well we know our neighbours. The trend in "Disconnected" seems to be worsening. Lanai Scarr writes it up in today's press: https://t.co/hcKMJslYAd #Reconnected #SocialCapital #auspol @RobertDPutnam pic.twitter.com/aqlbJo2czs
— Andrew Leigh (@ALeighMP) July 2, 2018
- Read the Sydney Morning Herald article that outlines more of Andrew's research: "Loneliness is a problem we can only tackle together."
- Organise a street party! Here's some tips from Andrew Leigh, including a template invitation.
- Neighbour Day -- it's a thing. Relationships Australia is encouraging people to get together with their neighbours on Neighbour Day, which they have declared as Sunday 29 March 2020. There's a bunch of resources to help you get started connecting with your neighbours, here.
- Why not consider giving blood. Find out how (it's really easy ... and remember the snacks!) here.
- Read Alain De Botton's Religion for Atheists
- Read this article from Centre For Public Christianity's Natasha Moore about churches and tax exemptions (which also gives a shout out to our 'phone a friend' guest this episode, Anne Robinson).
- Meet Anne Robinson, who gave us a rundown on churches and tax.
- Curious about charities and the category of 'Advancing religion'. Head to the ACNC website to find out more.
- Read the parable of The Good Samaritan.
Get to know our guests
Send us a question
What is Undeceptions with John Dickson?
Every week on Undeceptions we’ll explore some aspect of life, faith, history, culture, or ethics that is either much misunderstood or mostly forgotten. With the help of people who know what they’re talking about, we’ll be trying to ‘undeceive ourselves’ and let the truth ‘out’.