In this episode, Benjamin and Matthew talk with Bastian Hofmann about handling retries and timeouts in PHP. Bastian shares a load of great advice, including:
- Having dedicated hosts for certain traffic
- Distinguishing between normal users and admin users
- Offloading work to asynchronous jobs
- Default socket timeouts and max execution times
- Automatic retries
- Tuning settings and rules of thumbs as to how to do so
- Tooling for monitoring
- Circuit breakers
- Integrating monitoring into legacy codebases
- Plus loads load more!
What is The Undercover ElePHPant?
The Undercover ElePHPant is a podcast about scaling and optimizing your PHP applications. Each week, Benjamin Eberlei and Matthew Setter sit down with an expert from the PHP community to discuss a specific aspect of highly performant PHP applications.