Joe: There's reality, which is loving awareness,
Sam: unconcerned by the arising and passing away of phenomena.
Ali: And then there are the 10, 000 things.
Sam: Hello, and welcome to the 10, 000 things. My name is Sam Ellis. I'm Joe Loh.
Ali: And I'm Ali Catramados.
Joe: Today on the show, we're going to start with another quote from patron of the show, Alain de Botton. This one struck a chord with all of us, I think. Definitely me. Okay. Yeah. Maybe not
Ali: Ali. Yeah, no, no, I, I, I read it last night again. I, yeah.
Joe: Excellent, we're all very well prepared. Okay, Sam, do you want to read it out?
Sam: Don't worry, I've got great, examples, but yeah. I'll try and do it, Alain de Botton justice. While envy has always been a target of fierce and moralistic criticism, it is also an indispensable feature of a decent life. It is a call to action that should be heeded, for it contains garbled messages sent by muddied but important parts of our personalities about what we should be doing with the rest of our lives. Listening to envy should help us to take painful yet necessary steps towards becoming who we really are. Instead of trying to repress our envy, We should therefore make every effort to study it. Each person we envy possesses some piece of the jigsaw puzzle depicting our possible future condition.
Joe: Envy.
Sam: Very true. Yes. In my experience.
Joe: Healthy emotion. Sometimes I get this confused, but envy is quite different from jealousy. Yes.
Sam: Jealousy is possessiveness of someone or something. Envy is covetousness of what others have. Yes. What others are perhaps. I want to be her. I want to be him.
Joe: So garbled messages from who we could be.
Sam: It's garbled messages I've come to think from the. From the future, from your aspirations.
Ali: Yeah, well like, yeah, there'll be somebody that, I think I realised this quite young, like, there'll be somebody I'm like, I don't like that person for some reason. God, they just give me the shits. There's just something about them. They're so up themselves. Yeah, there's something, and then I, you know. Through growth and learning. Mm-Hmm. And age, wisdom I, you realize, oh, there's something in them that I'm so envious of. Yes. Pay attention
Sam: to what you
Ali: hate. Yeah. And I, and that's one of my, probably my earliest memories of lack of envy and actually realizing, oh, that's, there's something in that person that
Sam: I unexplained hostility towards somebody is always very revealing.
Ali: Yes.
Sam: If you take the time to think about it.
Ali: Yes. And so, I mean, I, I very. I don't find myself these days very envious of people in that way anymore. Um, I just, I'm envious of people's lifestyles where they don't have to work. Yeah, that's, and you know what? That is entirely understandable. Yeah, that's, I mean, I very like, you know, especially like you see on social media or TikTok or something like that. You see people living these fabulous lifestyles. In theory. In theory, yes. You know, and seemingly don't have to work. that I envy. I, I'd like to not have a nine to five. That'd be good.
Sam: Oh, and just to be clear, everybody, Ali is not work shy. She would be incredibly busy with the garden and the pickling and the salad and the offspring and other people's offspring. I don't know.
Joe: Yeah, we've had this. Debate. I don't want to get into it. I don't think
Sam: it's relevant to the topic. Oh God, it's making Joan cross already. See, he envies it.
Joe: Oh, I just don't think Ali's dream of not working, like she just had a month of not working and Not working. Fell in a heap. She actually
Sam: needs a structure. No, not working a soul destroying wage job. Ah,
Joe: but that's most jobs. Like, the jobs are soul destroying, we're forced to do them by capitalism and they give us structure and And they keep us vaguely on track. And actually, Ali, you would fall in a heap if you got your envious desire to not work.
Ali: No, I feel like there's structure in doing the things you want to do and having the time to do it.
Joe: But when you get the chance, you don't. You
Ali: fall in a heap. No, but that's because I don't have the property, the farm property or anything like that to actually do the stuff I want
Joe: to do. So you're not envious of any particular person, but you're envious of anyone who's got a million dollars or more.
Ali: No, not necessarily. There's just a lifestyle that I. Would be able, I would love to be able
Sam: luxurious lifestyle. No, it's not particularly, like it's quite, there would be cow shit involved.
Ali: Yeah, absolutely. Like I've been, I, in my month off, I watched a lot of Yellowstone, much to Joe's horror. But you know, I'm just like,
Sam: terrible show in some ways.
Joe: But then also, my horror was because that guy made a film called, uh, Hello High Water, which was incredible, five star film. Then he made another,
Sam: now he's just a, he's a TV machine.
Joe: Yeah, then he made another film called Wind River, which is incredible. And then he took the money and made bloody Yellowstone, which I tuned in, I was like, Oh my God, Yellowstone's going to be amazing. It's the guy from Hell of High Water. And in a way it is amazing to a degree.
Ali: Yeah, but I'm totally, like I said, I am one step back from booking like a one way ticket to Montana and finding a cowboy and living that lifestyle.
Sam: Well, there is some cheap land in Montana. I mean, a lot of it doesn't have any water on it.
Ali: All those things don't concern me with my interest in the play I'm realistic.
Joe: But bringing it back to the quote, like, you've never been envious of an individual? And learnt in the Alain de Botton sense? Oh no, no, no, you were.
Ali: You absolutely were when I was younger. Not now, not now. But I don't very, I don't. Feel that now.
Joe: That's so interesting. I was going to say the exact same thing. That quote resonates with me massively at 25,
Sam: but it resonates in a different, it hits different. It hits different.
Joe: Because of the emptiness at the heart of existence. And you, I mean, Ali, you've got people in your family who are quite wealthy and. It hasn't solved existential problems.
Ali: No, absolutely not. No. Some of the most miserable people I know. Money.
Sam: Money solves money problems though. It has that feature. Absolutely.
Joe: And you know,
Ali: like. What it does is it makes, there's a, I would like to have money so that things are not a catastrophe. They're just inconveniences.
Sam: If the roof leaks, it's not the end of the world.
Joe: And that's right. Like I was, I'm in a position where my washing machine broke down the other day and I'm fucked. I can't, I don't have any money to fix it. So that's not a. Like a highly intellectual this one way or another about money That's and I hope I'm gonna be able to solve the problem, but I need more money I need more money so that when my washing machine breaks, I can just get a new one or get it repaired Yeah to be able to say fuck. I don't know how to wash my clothes that 43 is incredibly depressing Potentially didn't actually make me that depressed. But so there's you'll get on your tits, but there's subsistence like I want to be above subsistence, and I used to have envy, yeah, I don't want to get too quickly into my envy, I want to hear what you guys have to say, but yes, when I read that quote, when I highlighted that quote a couple of years ago, I was like, As almost always, Alain de Botton's really onto something.
Sam: He's nailed it.
Joe: But what I felt, where I'm at now, is my ambitions drained away to the point where the envy that's going to spur me on to outdo that person I'm envious of has kind of died out. I don't feel that in my 40s. Or you just don't, you realise that those things that you were
Sam: It's not going to do it for you.
Ali: Yeah, that you've tried that or you've, you know, you've You sort of work through that or you realize it's not nearly as important as you used to be. The importance is just not there that you thought was when you were younger. Like, if I think of the people that I was envious of and the qualities that they had.
Sam: It was often pretty basic stuff.
Ali: It was really basic stuff. It was around, you know, popularity and social skills and things that I obviously lack. Always looking good. Yeah. Looking amazing. All those sorts of things. And it's like, actually those
Sam: Never having a bad skin or hair day.
Ali: Yeah. And I, those things actually seem so immaterial now. Like they just don't seem important in the way they used to. Yeah. Yeah, that it's never something like that, but also you're not an acne mess these days and like, were you at any point? Yeah, absolutely. Yeah. Terrible, terrible acne, you know, and overweight and terrible hair, like terrible hair cut, which We all had roaccutane at one point. Oh, yep. Awful stuff. Worst, worst. And so, but
Joe: people would have been envious of you at times, Sam, when you were, when you had the hottest girlfriend on Brunswick Street. Yep. We'd get around in a dress and people be like, wow, that guy's just owning it. And like,
Sam: yeah, I was Russell branding before Russell Brand. Oh, Russell Brand. No, only in the good sense. Oh, not in the sex cult sense. Yeah. No 16 year old girls. No. I saw a picture of him one day and I was like, Oh. That's what I've been doing. Midriff tops and like tight jeans and long hair and, you know, it's really just a 70s thing. It's just like 70s. It's like a 70s, 70s sort of gender. What it
Ali: is, is a sense of style and confidence in that sense of style that not a lot of people have that that all can pull off. I mean, that's certainly something when I was younger that it takes guts to do it. It really does. Yeah. And then having moments where I've potentially, when I was younger, manic and then going out and actually dressing and buying the things that We're outrageous and having a wardrobe full of outrageous clothes and actually knowing what that feels like and going, Oh, it's actually quite easy. If I want to wear my leopard print coat, it's, it's a cheat code. Yeah. It's, it's a cheat code. Yeah. Whereas before owning that or before even having the confidence to do that and seeing other women like that,
Sam: it's the will to actually do it yourself. That's the problem.
Ali: The thing, yeah, for me, it was mania was the thing that actually tipped me over.
Sam: It got that, it got that prohibition, that moral prohibition out the way.
Joe: So, nerdy teenagers, envious of people who are more popular and good looking. Let's do
Sam: the list. So, when I was 12, I had awful acne, I had braces, I had op shop and hand me down clothes, I used long words, I didn't watch any of the same shows as any of the other kids.
Ali: Are you, Sam is explaining my childhood.
Sam: We are on a, we are on a, yeah, we're on it. And it was a feeling of mutual recognition when we met. It's like, yep, yep, I know what it was like for you. And it's like, and we read too many books and I would try to talk about the wrong things and like, just fuck off, nerd. But the amount of times I heard that,
Ali: just like, just shut the fuck up.
Sam: Yeah, who are you? What is this? This guy's a fuckwit. And then, so envying people that fit it in, okay. And then doing the obvious thing and going, well, fuck fitting in then, I don't care what anyone thinks, I'm going to stick out more. And that like, which is. I'm going
Ali: to put the target on my back myself.
Sam: That's right. And it's, it's understandable, but counterproductive. And eventually you realize it was actually, it just gives you actually have some desire to fit in. Doesn't mean you're like you're in, you know, fascist has won the battle. Like it's a little more complicated than that.
Ali: He's just wanting to feel a sense of community and a part of something. Yeah. Which is a very human, you know, thing to want to not, to not be lonely. And there's a loneliness in being that weird, awkward child.
Sam: There sure is. And, and, and let's look at the most successful, cause Alain de Botton is very instructive in this regard. Cause he said another thing, which I've been thinking about this whole time, which is advertising sells us important things. They show us pictures of what we really want and then replace it with something else. And so, what do we want? Belonging, being valued by others, and usefulness, and like, an integrated, meaningful life. we want to fit in, but we want to be able to be different at the same time. And so I also envied
Ali: I want to fit in, but like be accepted just for who we are as an individual. Yes, exactly.
Sam: Yes. I want us, I want everyone to accept me as Completely like them, but also to celebrate me in all the ways I'm not like them. Yes, and I'm going to envy the people. So I went from envying the people that stood, that fitted in really well, to envying the people that stood out in the right way. And then little by little, I was able to do that. And then as you say, Jo, studied. I envy so well that I was able to inspire it in others and then realised how hollow that was as well.
Joe: Yes. Yeah. So do you have a number one person you've ever been envious of? Oh, sure. Like
Sam: Jim Morrison or Jimi Hendrix. Oh, so
Joe: not, but not in your actual, not a contemporary or someone in your, Oh
Sam: yeah, of course. actually, you know, just as often it was girls, you know, a girl I can remember was very athletic. Like, I mean, a lot of other people thought she was super good looking. That wasn't the thing. It was just, uh, like gracefulness and the physical, superb physical instincts. Just knew when to turn and where to look and like, complete mystery to me. How do you do that?
Ali: It was all, I mean, I went to like a. You know, private all girls school. So there was a lot of girls who were like, who ticked all of those boxes who were like, they were academic, but they were also athletic. They were in, you know, they were in the school plays. They were like, they were just, you know, they had all the badges on their blazer. They were in all the groups, you know, they were all the elite. They're today's, you know, You know, leaders, right? Like successful women, some of them peaked in high school, but a lot of them have gone on to do like amazing things. And just as this very socially awkward, unmotivated. Scatterbrain. And just, and you know, into my, in my, so much in my own little world.
Sam: I envy people that have it together, like that can put things on a list and then do them. Yes.
Ali: Yeah. Very much so. Like, yeah, they were like, okay, we've got exams now. I'm going to study this.
Sam: And then do you do that?
Ali: I'm going to read it on the tram on the way to school, which is what I think I did for a lot of year 12. And like, I just, you know, I was like, okay, well this is as much as I'm going to learn. I was just lucky I had a good memory. Yeah, had enough natural gifts to just, like, get you through. Yeah, but like, yeah, like just the people who, I suppose, I think, yeah, that, that, that work ethic. Which, I mean, I've only come to recognize that I actually do have in myself, but I've obviously got a lot of barriers to it, but I, but it actually is there, but that was something I really envied in a lot of people and what it was, was sort of an executive function, basically, like who's, or like, it's more, actually, I should say it's more than an executive function and the person I would say actually more so than anybody else I'd ever met in my entire life is my, my son's father. Yeah. He's one of those people that will go, I'm going to do the thing and then just does the thing. And then like, whatever it was, whether it was, I'm going to learn how to use a unicycle. I'm going to learn how to juggle this week. I'm going to learn how to read. I'm going to read up on this very specific topic.
Sam: I'm going to, I'm going to get to three balls this week.
Ali: Yeah. And then I was like, I'm going to learn about the stock market this week. Whatever it was.
Joe: Three incredibly annoying examples.
Ali: Yeah. Whatever it was. I love it. Whatever. Yeah. He was like. The joke was that he was becoming like a circus clown because he was learning how to like do all those sorts of things. But whatever it was, there was always like
Joe: a little God, juggling, unicycle, stock market. What an arsehole.
Ali: Whatever it was, it didn't, like, whatever, like, yeah. It doesn't matter. It's, it's It was just, I've decided, oh, this week I'm going to do this thing.
Sam: No, he just identified it as a challenging thing. It's like And
Ali: then, yeah, he just needed a challenge and then he would just Just do it and then he would complete it. And I just found that just baffling that I couldn't even get past the first step.
Joe: This is interesting. So you're envious of your partner.
Ali: Yes.
Sam: Oh yeah. I've been there.
Ali: Absolutely. Yeah. I was, it was just, and I mean, and from him, I was a source of frustration in that I would say I want to do all these things, but I wouldn't do them. And so it would become like this mystification. It would just be like this point of resentment. It's like, you're not doing the thing you said you're going to do. Totally. Yeah. So what's the matter with you? Well, one of the many reasons, but like but yeah, but I mean, so it's one of those things I simultaneously absolutely admired about him and do admire about him. And I think he's, you know, one of the wonderful things he's actually passed on to my son, who's also like very similarly minded to him, in that way. So, you know, grateful, but also, yeah, like I would be. I was very envious of
Sam: that. That's hard. Well, would you be? Yeah, very hard. I can certainly relate.
Joe: Yeah, your partner's very accomplished.
Sam: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I've always had very accomplished partners. Always. No, a girl could be pretty. Not enough. Like, yeah, on its own. No, no.
Joe: And like having some sort of drive
Sam: and like, they can do something I can't do. Like, and it, it doesn't matter what it is. It's like, it's just anything that's like admirable. And yeah, I'm going to try to do that too. It's hot. It is.
Ali: Yeah. Like, just like, even watching a
Joe: man But what do they get from us? Just a bit of entertainment. I'm competent
Sam: too.
Ali: No, but just watching, like, I remember this, this is another X years ago and him driving so confidently without directions. And I was just like How do you do that? I'm like, I'm so much more attracted to you right now. Cause he was always a little bit useless in every other way, but like, that was one time I remember looking at him
Sam: going Baby driver. Good movie. Yeah. Incredible.
Ali: But yeah, but I was just, it was like in a moment where I was like, Ooh. Yeah. It's hot. Like it's hot. Like, yeah, just, well, you know, watching someone help, you know, like just do something with ease, whether it's watching them cook a meal or put a tent up or like figure out how to fix the washing machine, whatever it is, watching somebody do something like that.
Joe: It makes me realize I need to get more women to watch me play cricket.
Sam: It's so instructive. Wow. That's a such a hard sell.
Joe: It's the only thing that I do that. Well, that's, yeah, that's, you've got to invite all of you. I'm do any of those other things you just listed.
Sam: No, you're good at potting. There you go.
Joe: I'm a good driver, but Oh, you are? That's true. Like, I'm a confident and exciting driver.
Ali: I've driven with you, Joe. It's like taking your life into your hands. Victoria Police. Oh my God. No, it's not. Yes, it is. You've got, you're so, with the phone, oh my God. He's melded with the machine. He's changing the music every two seconds. Yeah,
Sam: but I'm, I'm Do you know what, at one, I'm at one. Joe, I've got a product recommendation for you. I'm in the flow state. You need to check out Perplexity. It's going to, it's going to solve a number of problems for you all at once. It's going to give you that fire hose of news, but like actual just dot points, no fluff. And yeah, try perplexity. It's the new AI product. That's it. Basically they want to take down Google and, and traditional media at the same time. as in the traditional article media, I reckon you'd love it, but cause yeah, I've never seen anyone as well integrated with their device. Yes. Like just completely one. With like two machines at the same time.
Ali: Yeah, he's having like three conversations and driving and changing the music and putting in Google directions and it's like, okay.
Joe: It's a flow state. It is. It's a flow state. It's really something. That'll help you if you get pulled over, Joe. As I said, Victoria Police covered this. No, it's all, it's all legal. It's all up on my dashboard. Yeah. Oh yeah, that's true. It's not like I'm looking at it in my, in my lap. Yeah, yeah. Anyway, we're way off the topic of everything. So you two won't name, I was going to name names, that's why I, I was trying to get you guys, not from your high school, but in your twenties or thirties, like.
Sam: Okay, I can do, I can do you one better. Much more recent. I can't name names though. It's just basically, late 30s or whatever, I became aware of the, you know, the active wear trend. I think in America they refer to yoga pants and, you know, people, well women walking around in yoga pants. And so for like a brief moment, I had that like, not a moralistic reaction, just a Oh, we're doing that now, are we? Like this is acceptable, is it? And like, I couldn't, you know, honestly, I felt a degree of sadness. What are you
Joe: talking about? Like camel toes in public? Not, no, no,
Ali: just, no, it's like a lack of effort to get dressed at the house that you're just wearing. I thought it
Joe: was like displaying your entire anatomy. Oh, well that, that can happen too.
Ali: Yeah. But it's, it's more, I, I, I perceive it as like. Yeah, that there's no sense of occasion when people leave the house anymore with clothes. Yeah.
Sam: Now, and
Joe: I think that's Oh, see, I always thought women were getting pissed off because other women had better bums than them.
Ali: There's probably an element of that with some women, but I just Oh, but no, there's a lot of things going on all at once, like Yeah, but then, like, who am I to judge? Because it's comfy, and I've certainly gone out in my leggings before, so
Sam: That's right. I own nice clothes, and I can't wear them anywhere. It was same, same, exactly. No, but at first, at first I was denying that. Ah, to yourself. At first I was like, judgy and like, oh, well, you know, okay, everyone's given up, I guess. George Costanza.
Ali: Yeah, like I had that, like, it's a crotchety old, like, oh, we're not putting any effort anymore.
Joe: The richer parts of town, you see it a lot more. Yeah,
Ali: but they're wearing like $400 leggings. Yeah. They're wearing the Beck Judd leggings. That's the Jaguar leggings. That's, they like, they're not, it's not that outfit costs more more than like,
Joe: it's not no statement. It's a statement of it's look at my legs and bum.
Sam: Oh well, yeah. But then, but then you also see people that don't have gym bodies doing it. Yeah. And actually. That's offensive, I agree. No, no, see, that's the thing, right?
Ali: Jesus Christ, Joe!
Sam: It was a joke, it was a good joke. He was able to jump on it. He saw the opportunity. So, I actually was, that's what It
Ali: was so
Sam: easy. It's true. Just reeled her in. But that's what actually changed it for me. Because I had a moment of like a crossroads where I basically realized I'd accepted it and I was like put completely not that it's Men don't ever do it though. This is where I'm going with it. So envying the option and envying you look comfortable and you and you look happy with yourself and I've felt that way too and I want to feel that way again.
Ali: It's like men who have to wear suits into the office in the peak of summer. Gross. Like one of my exes, he used to say, like, it's just so unfair that you can wear a dress in the peak of summer. I got to wear a tie and a suit. Totally. Which is, yeah, it's bullshit. Pants suck in Hollywood. I think it's the culture around that's really shifted, especially, I mean, I still work in a corporate thing and I very rarely see men with a tie, like, and that's even in law and like they, you know, obviously they wear their, you know, gowns and stuff when they're in court, but that's a whole different, you know, that's completely different. Outside of that, most of them are not wearing a suit and tie. They're just, you know, it might be in a smart shirt and pants or jeans, but. The same as, yeah, like even like the women, like they don't get dressed up like, nobody gets dressed up. I think the pandemic as well really shifted the way we all dress.
Sam: There's so few, there's so few occasions and I mean, yeah, well, so the, the envy was like kind of the opposite of not having enough occasions to like wear a nice thing. It's like, okay, well now, every day is casual Friday and that's great. I eventually realized, and it wasn't. I didn't need to have any judgements or feel any kind of way about it. What I was missing was the obvious thing that I admired all these people for that decision and I admired, I could see it felt good. And then so eventually, you know, letting the envy instruct me and I came to a crossroads with a friend and, uh, we scrawled by, not a gym body, and we had opposite reactions. and I was like, because it was beyond the yoga pants, it was like, three quarters, you know, o of skin area is like, it's there. Mm-Hmm. And it's, but it's like, it's all working as far as I'm concerned. Like Mm-Hmm. Like, she's a bigger girl, but Yeah. Statuesque. Yeah. Great. I'm like, see, there you go that, that, that would feel good. Mm-Hmm. And he's like, oh no. Not at all. Come on, what's happened? And I'm like, that's what I used to think. Now I'm like, I, the penny's dropped. I'm on board with this. Yes, I get it. Body positivity is for everyone. It's not, it's not just for big people or this bit. Like it's for everyone. Sex positivity is for everyone. but are yoga pants for everyone? This is my question. Cause when ladies have their bits on display. No one has a problem with it. It's great. But, does anyone need You know, budgie smugglers, yay or nay. No, yeah,
Joe: there's no need for them at the beach. I suppose it's like Europe and it's some weird cultural thing that we don't understand, fine, but like Yeah. I just spent a week at the beach, I think I saw one person in budgie smugglers and they looked ridiculous because you could see their dick and balls.
Ali: Okay. But what about like Bike shorts. I was going to say like the mammals, you see like the middle aged men in Lycra. Like you see
Sam: there. Yeah, yeah. But I want
Joe: to do it when I'm not riding a bike. But they're moving, at least they're moving at 50 k's an hour.
Sam: No, but then I get off the bike and they all go to
Ali: the cafe and they're all, yeah, that's bad luck too. It's not. I, I just, I, I've so moved beyond caring what anybody, yeah, like, yeah, when I was
Joe: getting to a point. It's just, I don't know what this has to do with Envy, but it's gotten to a point where I
Sam: thought I wasn't allowed to wear bike shorts, Joe, because you see girls wearing bike shorts, and they're comfortable, and people of all ages, not
Joe: just young people. And they just answered it, just wear Lycra. Just wear it. Yeah. Just rock it.
Sam: I started. Yeah. And then, you know, I did get a little pushback, you know, from like one person, like, oh, and you're not exercising? And I'm like, Who cares? Well, actually, I did do a fast walk. I broke into a jog earlier. In fact, it just creates a feeling of that, that being an option.
Ali: But there's things you shouldn't even have to justify. If you just, you just like the vibe, you like the look, you like the comfort.
Joe: And that's what someone said to me about, um What is the
Sam: reason? I don't need to interview them anymore, I just join them.
Joe: Yeah. Someone said to me, you know, women aren't going to be impressed with you, Joe, walking around in a tracksuit when you're damn sure, no, you haven't been for a run. Just by looking at you.
Sam: Missing the point of tracksuits. I mean, sure. It's
Ali: leisure wear. Leisure can be however you want to.
Joe: I walk around in the most comfortable clothes I can find.
Sam: Anyone who hasn't had the memo might judge it.
Joe: But like, I'm putting in a huge amount of effort to have a look. I like someone in yoga pants generally.
Sam: Well, today you've got stubbies and a short sleeve shirt and they match and they do.
Ali: I really disagree with that in that there are a lot of women who spend, like I said, a lot of money on matching high end active wear, but it is actually the look. It is not that they've, I've just thrown, like, I'll throw on leggings because I'm just like, can't be bothered getting changed into pants to go to the supermarket, but it's different levels.
Joe: It's attractive in the same way that going to Elwood. And every woman you saw was naked or in their underwear is attractive. It's just that the female form is attractive to me as a straight man. And the female form is basically with the thinnest layer of
Sam: I would say it's universally
Joe: admired. It's probably less sexy than the 60s and miniskirts or something. So
Sam: Well, that's just it. I've
Joe: eventually What's the envy link? The envy is that you wanted to be able to walk around like a woman in yoga pants.
Sam: Well, it goes back to when I was 20 and exploiting a boundary between the way the gender is constructed in through clothing and just having fun with that because it, look, it's, it's hard to explain if you haven't been out on the town in clothing, that's like, you know, theoretically not for you, I can't tell you. How liberating and illuminating it is and not every experience will be positive and that's kind of the point and you it's good and bad and it changes the way people treat you, it changes the way you think about yourself and it's very easy. Gender non binary is for everyone. I've come to realize like there are times when people are not being their gender. And that you are GNB at that time, like you are, like the act of being a man or a woman, it's work, like mentally, it's work, sartorially. There's all these things you have to do to maintain this identity, like using certain language and so on. And The same goes for sexuality and, you know, nationality and all these other things. They're all maintained through effort and through clothing and through language. And we've got a degree of choice in the matter. And not everyone has to, you know, actively embrace, like, In the public, a non binary personality,
Joe: but getting back to the quote, what's the garbled message that the yoga pants are sending you about your future self?
Sam: Instead of judging these people, which I didn't do for particularly long because it's like, Oh, well, this is clearly a universal phenomenon and it's not going away, so why bother being mad about it? Like I very quickly, I wasn't mad about it. I was just like puzzled, I think at first and like, I didn't really get it. But then I did start to feel like that. Yeah. What I would describe as envy. Yeah. And judgment. because for me, I never experienced that envy by itself. There's usually some judgment. Like, who do you think you are? And do you think you're better than me?
Ali: Like you said, it came back to a dislike of that person. Like I perceived it as a dislike of that person, but it's not.
Sam: No, it's not enough just to go, I want what they have. It's they're doing something wrong by having that. And, and I had to do a lot of therapy.
Joe: So the garbled message about your future self?
Sam: The garbled message is you don't feel free. Yes. And you perceive this person as having a freedom you don't possess and it's made you angry. Yes. All you've got to do is
Joe: take that message from your future self, from someone who doesn't work and has a hobby farm. I mean, it could be.
Ali: It's free. It's the exact same message. It's that there, there's a freedom there that I don't have.
Joe: But the way to get that. The most logical thing would be to do everything you can to get the most high paying job you can, ASAP, and eventually get your hobby firm.
Sam: I don't know, screw jobs. It's all about, owning the means of production, Joe. Like, just having something you can charge other people for being yourself.
Joe: No, but I'm saying to Ali, in the Alain de Botton sense of getting a garbled message from these people, she's jealous. She's envious.
Sam: Well, maybe you don't need 100 acres. Maybe you only
Ali: need Oh, like, I'd be happy with just You know, anything, but like, it's, yeah, like, I think it comes back to, yeah, like you said, a sense of freedom. There is a freedom that you're, for whatever reason, we're constrained by, whether it's something we're doing ourselves, the way we've been socialized, whatever it is. There is some sort of constriction that we're, yeah. Sounds
Joe: like the problem's capitalism
Sam: to a degree. Yeah, it's
Ali: the way we're all socialized. Like, yeah, it's like, you know. Particularly, I mean, I think it is different now or it's certainly shifting, but you know, growing up in the eighties and nineties, there was sort of one way to be a little boy or a little girl. You would, you were going to be interested in these things. You were going to have these career options and then, you know, motherhood if you're a girl, you know, fatherhood if you're a boy, like all these things that were sort of expected of you. Oh. And
Sam: working in an office.
Ali: Working at, you know, working in an office that you would then, you know, buy your house. That's what success was. Yeah. And you'd have your White picket fans and your kids and your dog
Sam: and being white collar, then the white picket.
Ali: Yeah. And you'd had it and you know, it was all sort of planned out. Mm-Hmm. And I think because one knows things are, are off, just not really even attainable anymore. No. In any way, shape or form for some people.
Joe: Well, from, from the vast majority, you guys get way too dramatic and a
Sam: lot of people have it and don't feel great anyway. Exactly. Yeah, that's true.
Joe: The other part of the hellscape that we somehow live in in Australia is this nonsense, but there's a
Ali: lot of, there's a full. A variety of reasons why they can't have those things, won't have those things, there is a shift to, yeah, like, and there is a shift of, I think, in a more accepting way of what It is to be, particularly around gender and sexuality that wasn't there when we were younger. That's right. Which is, you know, a good thing. I felt it was a
Sam: limitation since I can remember.
Joe: I think you're externalizing, as you said, you went to an elite private school and then the other women
Sam: you went with Where femininity is highly
Joe: constructed. Yeah. You had certain problems, whatever they were, whether it's bipolar or whatever. But it's not
Sam: an atypical experience. No, no.
Joe: Yeah. But Ali's projecting and externalizing your lack of a career success when all these contemporaries have all the stuff you just mentioned. They have financial freedom. She actually doesn't want it.
Sam: She actually doesn't want career success. You're not listening,
Ali: Joe. Career success is not,
Sam: it's not. She doesn't want it. No,
Joe: no, but, but you, but then you turn around and say, and people just can't get that these days. It's not true about people.
Sam: Oh, that was, that was a throwaway remark.
Ali: It
Joe: is, housing is more expensive, but it's not true that Australia is this, because like I said before, I'm completely broke. And I also have basically not a very functioning career, so I'm not saying this isn't, but I don't then project that onto Australia and say, Australia isn't functioning. Well, no, I'm not functioning very well. I don't know how much that's because I have a mental illness. I don't know. I don't have the thing.
Sam: Blame yourself for not being good.
Ali: That's good stuff. Very healthy. It is
Joe: healthier. No more blames into oneself, Joe,
Ali: healthier than, it is healthier than blaming. The statistics of it, like three times what was it, your average income, and now it's ten times, it's just not the same.
Joe: It's crazy to say otherwise.
Sam: You're a facts guy, you're a Michael. Let's look at the graphs. But
Joe: that's the facts, that apart from house prices. If you
Ali: didn't have, oh, and wages not keeping up. Well, I look around at, wait a, wait a minute.
Joe: I look around at my contemporaries,
Sam: apart from all the things that have gone backwards.
Joe: Yeah, everything's great. When I look around at my contemporaries, yeah, they are all on over a hundred grand a year. They've all been able to buy their million dollar
Ali: giving a Gen X. We're talking about like. I'm
Joe: really not. And it's, and it's, it wouldn't matter, except it's actually holding you back. Because it's so revealing. You're giving yourself a free pass on this. Oh well, the system's fucked.
Sam: It's so revealing that you keep focusing on salaries and wages. Like, if. If you have to go to our place, or you don't get money, and then there's a problem, you are not doesn't matter how big that salary is, you're in a trap. You have a problem. You could be 300 a year, by the way, the tax on that is massive.
Joe: I just get frustrated with this lazy, like, everything's fucked, therefore, I'll just stay in a dead end job. No, no, that's not that's absolutely
Sam: That's the point, no. We're trying to listen to the envy and see
Joe: where it points. This is why it's so crucial to this topic is actually, you could look around probably your social media and find 30 contemporaries you went to high school with, they're all more successful career wise than you. And they don't, and this dream of freedom of a hobby farm isn't, is, is within reach for them. But you
Sam: don't, it's not, it's not arising from comparing yourself with your contemporaries. I was going to
Ali: say, a lot of my contemporaries are not in that position that they could go and have a hobby farm anyway. Like a lot of them. Like the reality is, well, yeah, they've got divorces at this age, they're, they're, they're renting again. Then you have to move back in with their parents.
Sam: If anything, the comparison with your peers is comforting
Ali: to a degree. Yeah, exactly. Like it's not, everybody is doing great. I mean, there were obviously a couple of exceptions to that rule, but I'd say the vast majority of people, like, it's not what we, we were sold this idea of what. would happen if we achieve these things in high school, which absolutely has not panned out I'd say for the majority of people, for me and younger, and particularly the younger ones. And look,
Sam: come on, there's loads of people in their forties that hasn't worked out that way too. Yeah. Or if it has, it
Ali: has to a point. And then yes, I'm like a large life event, like illness or divorce or something like that has completely pulled the rug from under them. So they're back to square one.
Sam: Back to square one. And, and look also all the discussion of like. Pay and like house ownership is like, to me, that is a complete sideshow. The one graph you need, it's a pie chart of the wealth distribution, not the income distribution. The wealth distribution in Australia today and in 1990. It is very, very stark. It's obvious that things are not going to be the same. Once you realize like the underlying structure of the economy where that's at all this other discussion of salaries and stuff It's a sideshow because basically
Joe: doesn't change the fund what
Sam: that graph shows is the middle class has disappeared
Joe: It doesn't change what I'm saying to Ali though, which is that If your dream is financial freedom, and that's what Envy is teaching you, it sounds like what you're saying. I
Sam: know, it's purer than that. I think it's freedom itself. It's freedom from work.
Joe: Then even a job that paid you 10, 000 a year more would no, freedom
Sam: from selling your labour. Well, yes, yes, freedom from selling my
Joe: labour. It would be worth making a change. But instead you want to de alienate your label. Oh no, since I was raised, the system's now broken and there is no other opportunities. Oh, my position is
Sam: No, I'm not saying I'm going to completely The system was broken already. Yeah,
Joe: I'm not saying It's learned helplessness.
Ali: No,
Joe: I completely disagree. And you're an incredibly capable person, so you could definitely have a better job. Okay,
Sam: well, hold on. I will agree with Joe to an extent. I'll ask the question more pointedly. We're not talking about your contemporaries, we're talking about people on social media who've achieved a certain level of off gridness or whatever. What is the useful message for Ali today? What is the useful but garbled message? Like the long term aspiration is quite literal, but like what's in between here and there? And not just in terms of goal setting, but like, what is that telling you about your underlying values short of having a small permaculture situation? Well, yeah,
Ali: it's about, I suppose. The small steps I can take to fill that need and yeah, like there are certain things that I have historically done, which are like, I described in a previous episode that I've obviously struggled with because of the lack of energy. So there's a frustration there. So there's an envy there because of that. Like why don't I have the, who have this, yeah, or capacity to do things that I can't do. Like it's like. Even like at the moment, I can't, like, you know, obviously, you know, I've got the shit back, things that I can't do, and it's not a sense of helplessness, I cannot go for the hike that I want to go for.
Sam: Yeah, it's true.
Ali: Not at the moment. Not at the moment. It's just not, you know, so there is an envy for somebody for doing, for people doing those things that I simply cannot do right now. It's not to say that it's forever, but yeah, so like, so with these people, with these, you know, permaculture setups, it's not to say that. I might not get to a place where, you know, there, I could actually have that or work towards that, but right now I'm, I'm envious of it because I don't have it. I had, like Sam said, I have to sell my labor to a job I don't particularly like, you know, for not enough money. And you don't feel like you're being especially effective in it? No, yeah, it's just, it's just, it's, you know.
Joe: What I'm saying is the only useful, the only useful thing you can actually do with this envy is get a better job.
Sam: I don't agree. I think that
Joe: And you're capable of it. But you don't, you never shift on that, which is about 18 months or something. I agree. You say the job's dead end, the job doesn't pay well, and then you don't change anything and you say, ah, the system, man.
Sam: She has untapped, she has untapped career potential, but I don't know if that's really what this is.
Ali: No, it's bigger than that. Like, I mean, I could be in a slightly better paying job, which is a slightly more interesting, but it's still, I don't feel like that's actually the means to the end. It's not going Not the, the huge lottery win that I would, you know, potentially need.
Joe: And that's the other useful thing you could do is just buy a lottery ticket each week with the money you're saving from not smoking. No, no. But you, well, that's true. It's better than doing nothing. What I'm saying is don't do nothing and say the system, man.
Ali: No, but I'm not saying, I'm not saying that at all.
Sam: Like that's, that's not. Well, you did a medication review recently. That's doing something. Yeah.
Ali: There's certainly things like small things I'm doing. Well, yeah. Like I feel like, yeah. The. The quitting smoking, like I said, is financially driven, yeah, like it's, it's financially driven. And so, yeah, there, there are other ways that I'm, you know, wanting to spend my money or put towards or like long term plans as well as immediate ones. And so there are things I am doing. I'm not saying I'm completely hopeless.
Joe: I just think it's, I just think it's a really clear one. It's good. Like, you know, like Sam's got a clear one. He still wants more freedom around gender and how he, how he presents himself to the world. And yeah, he wants maybe Tap back into freedom he's had before in that area. Yes. That's awesome. In your case, it's very clear as well. Like, you want even more freedom. You want freedom from wage slavery. Awesome. Alright. Well, that's a garbled message from your future self to fucking do something about it. And yeah, I'm not, I'm not saying, I'm saying even buying a lottery ticket is doing something about it. I agree. Do you know what I mean? And what Alain de Botton is trying to say is Do something about it. Yeah, well he's
Sam: saying study it and find something that's useful and
Joe: actionable. Which I think is a good segue to mine. Because
Sam: mine is Well, I have one last question. Yeah. Is there something that's much, like, smaller and that is like a direct expression of like this Because it's not just about having the spread and like the permacolor. I think There's something about it, like when you were making sourdough and stuff earlier, it's a feeling of self reliance and like a feeling of, um, productivity and usefulness and like being able to, through your own effort, produce something of value that is yours. Yes. And wage labour is not that. Yeah. Not at all, in my experience. It's not at all. It's, that's why Mark said workers are alienated from their labor. Yeah. And ultimately from themselves as Yeah, totally agree with that. Yeah. Yeah, absolutely. So could you grow tomatoes or something? Is what I'm saying, like, well, that, that was always,
Ali: I mean, you know, I could, I mean, a WG needs nourishing. Yeah. I absolutely could. And I should. And like I said, I historically, no shoulds. No shoulds, you know, I,
Sam: yeah. I'm wondering if there's an actionable plan we can
Ali: make. Yeah, there was, there was definitely things, like I said, I was doing, but you know, for a variety of reasons that it's been. You've cut
Sam: back, you've been in survival
Ali: mode for a
Joe: little while. So all I'm saying is, I'm sorry that you can't go for a bushwalk and I accept that you can't with your fucked back. That does suck. But you can Put in a job application. You can buy a lottery ticket. So I'm not saying walk out of here and do what I say. I'm saying what the quote's asking us to do is investigate. If I say something on Instagram and it fucking bugs me how envious I am. Yeah,
Sam: I don't, I don't, I won't say this. I don't get mad at influencers anymore. Now I go,
Joe: I don't see it. I mean, I don't say
Sam: I only, I only see ones that are either saying something useful or doing something useful or they're dancing or entertaining me or something. And now instead of being cross with them now, I'm just like, that's awesome.
Ali: Yeah, I'm, I'm not, I
Sam: don't, I don't actually, that, that part is great. And when I see someone with the farm though, Hmm, that does very slightly annoy me, I must admit.
Ali: There's an annoyance that I'm just, I'm not there yet. It's not an annoyance at that person. I'm like really happy for them. They seem super smug and stuff. Yeah. Like I'm like, I've, you know, good for them. Like I don't feel, you know, it's, it's, but it's, it's for myself that I'm, I'm crossed with myself or like there's a frustration with myself. at that other person anymore. Like, whereas that, I think that's
Joe: perhaps maybe envy about a previous version of yourself where you had a farm in the backyard and you had Nigella writing to you about your backyard farm. So you, I mean, that's another thing you can do is like, what was happening back then? What's happening back then? Meds wise, what's happening physically, like relationship wise, what can I recreate to get to the point where my backyard looks like a farm again? So, that's actually, apart from the physical side of the gardening, fairly actionable, but I don't know if you can be envious of your previous self, I'm not sure. Yeah, no,
Ali: I definitely, like I said, I've sort of grieved and mourned the loss of that imagined life, or that life that I was living, like it was very much a thing I had to You know, move through and, you know, and, and try and, yeah, reimagine of what it's going to look like now. And then there's, yeah, there's obviously been some physical and mental health challenges in the last couple of years that have really just, that's had to be the focus rather than the, the extra stuff. And like, and I'm just, yeah, it's, it's an envy of like, why do I have to keep thinking about like, yeah, whether it's meds or therapy or, you know, all the, you know, going to a doctor's appointment and all that sort of shit and prioritizing that shit when I could have been, you know, like. Yeah, I had the weekend to do the thing that I actually wanted to do, it was like go for a bushwalk and make a
Sam: sourdough. And when we're full time, like, full time, uh, well, between parenting, wage work, and Taking care of your mental health, it feels like, oh, God's,
Ali: yeah. It doesn't feel like there's a lot left in the tank. That's everything. Yeah.
Sam: Yeah. That's ev and that's, oh, and then maintaining the house for God's sake. Yeah, exactly.
Joe: Yeah. And having some sort of, so, Sam, can I move on to mine or you look like you're gonna read through. I was just
Sam: gonna read one line in the quote again. Listening to Envy should help us to take painful yet necessary steps towards becoming who we really are. This is actually beyond aspiration. It's like this is telling us. It's actually giving us urgent information about our wellbeing and like, it's like, okay, something's off. It's not just like, Oh, one day I'll have a farm. It's an, Oh, great. Instead of being envious of that person, I now admire their, their, their achievement. That's a great step, but painful yet necessary steps. So that sounds more like. That kind of fundamental work we've been talking about of, of yeah, confronting, going and getting the diagnosis that's necessary, you know, and doing, doing the hard stuff that we've been avoiding, Anyway, yours.
Joe: I've been trying to throw it to myself for 20 minutes. I'll let you do it now. When I was in my 20s, I had a contemporary who was going to the same parties and stuff. Someone McKenzie. Yeah, Nick McKenzie turned out to be the most decorated investigative journalist. in Australia. Oh, that sucks. And it was not envy as far as I knew in my 20s. It's only in hindsight. It's like, well, why did I have so much resentment towards this guy? Oh, now you know. And there was a time when I was making a union film on one side and he was getting, he was printing stories in the 80s. Based on the anti union drops from the anti union police guy. He was, he was printing stuff in the age that was anti union. And I was making a pro union film. So there's a very clear reason to be enemies. And I remember one time we run into each other in a bar and argued about this guy, Nigel Hadgkiss, who was Whatever, former cop who is now running the anti union, police force that the Howard government set up. Yeah. And we had this, you know, whiskey fueled argument about him and what it all meant and, you know, like, but I just never had So many things that that person had, you know, like I never had his level of ambition. I'm sure I wasn't as smart as him. He's on the other side of this wall. My experience was that film came out, 600 people saw it at Acme or whatever it was. Huge achievement. And then my ambition just died off and I went and started working in film crews. Whereas his continued. His, his He's unabated and has taken him to the absolute peak of his trade, with fame, wealth, you know, but there was a point where we were both in bar open and having an argument, almost as equals, not equals, never equals. I mean, by the time I was even resenting this guy, he was already incredibly successful. It's just that his rise was exponential and never stopped. And the heights of my intellectual output was making that one documentary and then kind of just moving on and doing no brainer jobs in the film industry. Cut to like 20 years later or 15 years later, that's all I've done. So, it wasn't until we did this project and I was able to sit down with you guys and actually use my brain again. And suddenly a whole bunch of my thoughts And it all just came out, and stuff that had been on my mind, and stuff I was really interested in, and people wrote in, and they were listening, and, and it all just was like this huge sigh of relief. Yeah. and you know, I saw Nick McKenzie on, uh, friends Facebook page. Sorry, yesterday I was having a nice time down the beach and it's gone. They're resentment's gone, but it was very fierce. And So the envy in that case was trying to tell me that I had a brain and I needed to use it. Yeah. but in hindsight like And that
Sam: you want to seek a degree of profile, and that's okay. Yeah.
Ali: Like, I was going to say like a lot of that is. External validation and adoration, and things that I think Which clearly
Sam: isn't enough to sate his appetite for more. Yeah. Or isn't the reason he's doing
Joe: it possibly. Yeah, and the extent that I get it is It's to post something on Instagram or Facebook and have people like it. Like, so I still do that and I still want external validation. But I've done a shit ton of internal work in the 8 years I haven't been drinking. And it's made a difference. It's made a difference too. Like, I now know, looking at Nick McKenzie, the human being, that He, I mean, some of the stuff he's done has been, like, put him in danger, and, he's done, he's not a perfect human, and I'm sure there's times where he's unhappy or unsatisfied or it hasn't Being wealthy and famous and, looked up to hasn't probably solved every emotional problem that
Sam: he's ever had. Well, and a lot of journos are very miserable anyway, even
Joe: the successful ones. And that's the complexity that you only get, I think, as you get older, is like, not to say that it's not better to be successful than not, because I think, I'm sure it is, but it's not. 10 times better.
Sam: No. No. Agreed.
Ali: And, and, and like you said, success actually comes with it's a whole new set of issues that you wouldn't have had otherwise, like, you know, whether that's financial success or professional success or whatever it is, like, then there are issues with that as well. Attracting envy. Yeah, exactly. And yeah, and when you, I think when you're younger and you're just seeing the one side of it, whereas when you,
Joe: like, now But see, in my 20s, I would never have said I was envious of him. I would have said I deeply
Sam: insulting if I He's a bad guy.
Joe: He's a, you know, right wing guy. He's helping John Howard out. Attacking, helping John Howard out. Yeah, right?
Sam: He's obviously your
Joe: mortal enemy. Yeah, wasn't that The fact that he's better looking, smarter, more successful, on more money, blah blah blah, no, none of that matters to me when I'm 26. He's just a hack. For the Howard government and what he writes is mostly inaccurate and Well,
Sam: it turns out helping the rich is good for your career. So, yeah.
Joe: But, like, now it's just like It's Yeah. He's been so wildly successful that it's A lot of people do it for
Sam: free, Ali. Yeah.
Joe: He's so wildly successful that it's just easy. I don't have to There's no argument to have about whether he is or isn't a good journalist. The journalism industry has decided he's the best investigative journalist in the country. Who said? The Walkley Awards every single year.
Sam: Oh, a different person gets
Joe: it every Sure, but I don't want to pick holes in it anymore, I just, I don't even read the fucking age anymore,
Sam: who cares, I don't watch Four Corners. Let's just say he's the bee's knees, but you don't care. Yeah. It's fine. I don't care.
Joe: Oh, well I mean, I congratulate you. Whereas back then it was like, not only did I somehow in my mind or in an argument with him have to pull him down to some mild level, and it really bugged me. Yeah, and it got to me and I hated him,
Sam: you know, I can
Joe: totally see all this and like if he listened to that now He'd probably find it ridiculous or I never would have noticed. Yeah, he would yeah,
Ali: he never would
Joe: have been on the radar No, no, even if he even remembered who I am, you know what I mean? So no, I think you'd be surprised but but the difference is now is I'm saying it and some people will hear me And that's huge, hugely cathartic for me, so that this conversation two years ago, before we've done this podcast for a year and a half, would have been like that envy. That the garbled message calling me towards my future self had not ever been answered. Ah, yeah. But now I've laid down like a hundred hours of my thoughts or whatever it is, it's like ah, fuck, okay, it's all right. It's all right. Like to whatever level you had something interesting to say, you said it. And if even if it's only you kids that go back and listen in 10 years time or Whoever, you laid it out, just like Nick had done from the age of 21 in the age, he laid down his thoughts. And people read them and said, good thoughts, well done Nick. No one had ever really done that for me, from the end of that film screening. For the next 15 years, you know, no one ever said good thoughts, Joe. Well, the most was like nice Facebook post, you know, so the other garbled message is sit down and write and blah, blah, blah But I seem to completely lack the discipline or probably the talent to do that But in the end with you guys, I found a medium and suddenly that garbled message has been answered In the affirmative. Yeah. And then I go and do my dead end film crew job, and I did it yesterday for 15 hours. I bloody loved it. Didn't bother you, yeah. Driving a bus around, full of extras. I had a lot, because Yeah. I remember one morning I was making coffee on a film set, and Nick McKenzie run past on his morning jog before he went and was the top dog at the age all day. G'day mate, how you going? G'day Nick, how are ya? And I, when I'm engaged in my job like that I'm on decent money, I'm feeling pretty good. Yeah, yeah. And that was probably a few years ago now, and I realised even then, ah, that bitterness is kinda gone. but it was, that envy was brutal. You know, and, but, uh, but it's only envy and hindsight at the time. It's just hatred, bitterness, resentment, but to your friends, they're like, Oh, dude, I know exactly what you're so envious of that
Sam: guy. Realizing it later.
Ali: Yeah. Well, that's exactly like what I said when I, yeah, when I was younger, it was a perceived like, I don't, there's something about that person I don't like. It was just something I don't like about them and whether now it's not, you know, yeah, it's, I think you have to, like you said, you move through it and it's an, there's a wisdom and, you know, with growing older, I think that, yeah, you, you move past that, but it is ultimately, yeah, you seeing something you can't quite You haven't worked out that it is envy, like I said, you haven't worked that, that it's, that's actually what it is. It just feels like a, an uncomfortableness, like a dislike or a hatred in your case
Sam: of this person. Yeah. And I guess Alain de Botton would say, yeah, well, the discomfort is pointing us to something and it's like, well, you know, find out you do a lot of this sort of stuff in therapy. It's like people have the cliche of, okay, tell me more about what does that mean or tell me more about that. It's, it's, I think a better question. Work better for most people, I think, is just like, okay, what's that pointing to? It's like, okay, it's like, we're trying to find our way through a confusing network of signals here and we're trying to navigate and yeah, what is this signal? Okay. I feel some antipathy towards this person. What's that telling us? Okay. It might be envy. What's the envy telling us?
Joe: the reflection and the wisdom only came in once I put down the substances. Unfortunately. Because otherwise I could just be drinking red wine and hate watching his latest Four Corners special that he's going to win another Walkley Award. That's a sad image, yeah. Right? And like, fuck that guy. Like, what's he even on about? Blah, blah, blah. And it's like, I could never do the reflecting until I had to sit with myself sober for fucking years. Yeah, that's, that's it. Yeah. And also, yeah, he was mutual friends with this different sort of social group that I'm adjacent to, and I like the rest of them. And it's like, if they all accept him He's probably alright. He's probably fine. I don't know, there is no character assessment in anything I'm saying about him as a person or him as a journalist. I'm not trying to say one way or the other.
Sam: I'm mad about the Howard thing. Yeah. I'm
Joe: not trying to say one way or the other, um, it's just to realise my part in it. Sure. And just be like. No. Bro. You clearly, whether you did or not, you felt like you had a brain to use and something to say, but for whatever fucking reason, you checked out of the saying something business.
Sam: Oh, I mean, Joseph Campbell, the call to adventure, you know. I
Joe: checked out, I raised my kids, paid a mortgage and whatever, but I, I, It made
Sam: me miserable. Yeah, God yeah. And then, and then there's a tendency in that situation, unfortunately, to blame it on the fact that you've got children or
Joe: a partner or whatever. Yeah, but I still have an instinct to check out again, like, I don't know when I'm going to turn around and say to you guys, I don't want to do this anymore. Oh, I
Sam: expect you to do it at any moment, but Sorry guys. It's. Yeah. Things are better. You're done. I'm more enlightened now. Yeah. Well, I'm
Joe: not. I'm not bothered in the
Sam: same way. Well, you've announced you've quit therapy. That was a big one. Yeah, like I
Joe: went back to my therapist after
Sam: three months. Sorry. I called it quitting accidentally on purpose, I now realize.
Joe: But yeah. I'll tell you, we should wrap it up, but I'll tell you what happened. Go on Ali.
Ali: Ali, what were you was going to say, that's definitely, I think a topic for like a whole podcast is like, well, can you graduate therapy? Well,
Joe: let's come back next week and do that, but I'll, I'll, so there you go. Sam, I'm committing to another one, but I'll tell you briefly what happened and then we'll wrap it up. Oh, please. What happened was I ran out of sessions, government funded sessions, I couldn't afford to go to therapy anymore. I thought you were fine
Sam: with elbow taking away the, uh, the extra 10.
Joe: I was, well, the story's going to illustrate that, exactly that, and I had three months off therapy, because I couldn't afford it, and then I was going to be busy with work, so I booked in a session, new year started, going to get my rebate, straight in, 3rd of January, sitting down with my therapist, she's like, so why did you want an appointment? You haven't been for three months. I was like, what do you mean? Well, what are you doing here Joe? Like I never wanted to stop going. I was I just ran out of money. Hmm. Okay So what are you doing here now? And I did as I can do a 20 minute monologue on everything that was going on my life Yep. Then she's like, okay,
Sam: still haven't heard an answer to the question. She's like, so,
Joe: okay, that's everything that's going on in your life. Um, what do you want? What do you want me to say about it? And I'm like, yeah, what do you need? And then I did another 10 minute monologue and then she's like, Hmm. Okay. Nothing. Still giving me nothing. And I'm like, this is fucking weird. Like, How does this normally work? But it, however it used to work, it's not working like that anymore. And I was half an hour in, I checked my phone. Oh. Ooh. I was like, woof. And she knew exactly what she was doing.
Sam: Oh man.
Joe: Yeah, she cornered you. And I was like, so, how about, what are we going to do from now on and going forward and, you know, um. Maybe you could give me some, and again, I just ran into a dead end and I was, I ran out of words. Like, when I, from whenever I started talking, I was told as a young, young kid, I'd never shut up. And it's like, I talked non stop to whoever would listen. And it meant that less
Sam: I believe
Ali: it.
Joe: I can attest. Sometimes, sometimes fewer and fewer people were around me. Yeah. Because I just Wouldn't stop. Yeah, like, wear them out. And I've tried to always be interesting, and she said that to me across the three years. Good at being interesting. Like, I don't know how much I've gotten to your emotional core, you've spent a lot of time trying to be entertaining and interesting for me, I don't really know what you feel about anything, it's always stayed in your head. And I was like, oh, great. That was a couple of sessions ago. How often have you cried in therapy? Never. And this was
Sam: I don't do it every time,
Joe: but But this, yeah, and then the other day, we got to the end of the 50 minutes and she's like I'm like, I don't feel like I need to be here anymore. She's like, I don't think you do need to be here anymore, Joe. And maybe have a think about why you might want to be here. I'll leave you with that. Classic. And in the weak sense, I can't think of a reason why I want to be there. I have nothing left to talk about. Just habit. Habit might be, yeah. I did three years, you know. I used to say to Ali, Ali said she was having a break from her therapist. I'm like, you can't do that. It just goes on until they retire or die or you die. That's just how it is. And I would have said three months ago, If I could afford it, I'd go twice a week, and I'd go twice a week for the rest of my life. But, you know, I've dug up the main big stuff from my childhood. I understand the stuff of my parents a lot better. I understand my relationship stuff a lot better. I understand how my fears and anxiety works and that I need to look at how they work rather than why I have them and that that's enough to just get on with things. I don't know how to be as bad as happy as I'm ever going to be. That's massive. And it took three years of really hard work, but maybe there is a natural end point because all she ever was, was this Blank kind of mirror with occasional incredible level of wisdom, but basically my psyche was reflected back to me Yeah, until that it just was like cleaning a screen or something and eventually screens about as clear as it's gonna get. Yeah Go live some life. That's an interesting metaphor. So this in the three months I didn't go a whole bunch of shit got rearranged I put new habits into place every day and I just got clearer. There's a great line. From a Gillian Wells song, it's every day is getting straighter. That's how my life feels. Time the revelator. It's like every day it just gets a little bit straighter and clearer. Time the revelator. Yeah. And that took what it took. It took a lot of fucking work. yeah, so, but yeah, we can come back and talk about, uh, talk further
Sam: about Ending therapy. Yeah. Yeah, I'm in discussions about doing it and have been
Joe: Oh, see, I thought you were never gonna finish. Well
Sam: No, well with the, with this person, this person, I need to, the other
Joe: question it raises, which I think is quite real is how therapeutic have these sessions been? Well, yeah,
Sam: that's, I mean, I think that's
Joe: going to talk about it as therapeutic chats. Yeah. And mostly I just think it's just talking shit with a couple of mates, but
Ali: actually, there's the added pressure of like, Oh, wow, I've really. Worked through something or I like, geez, I really put it out
Sam: to the public. Yeah. Well,
Joe: here's what we'll come back to Sam. Yeah. It's the best thing we've come up with in this whole show and we'll do a whole episode is the patient needs to find their own medicine and continually self administer and I think that's what happened in the last three months and I sort of know where I found the medicine too.
Sam: Oh, I told you you had it. that you were good at finding it. I think,
Joe: yeah, I mean, yeah, I have to stay on the narrow beam now.
Sam: Oh, but you're, you're quite, your balance is very good, I think, overall. I don't want to pump up your ego.
Joe: No, no, there's still plenty of things, but I'm saying there's plenty of things I have to do, but if I do those things, every day is getting straighter.
Sam: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that every day is getting straighter. Yeah, that's a good one. And she doesn't mean heterosexual guys. She just means working things out. Yeah.
Ali: No, I definitely feel like that's sort of, Like I was on that path, but I just veered wildly off it for a bit. But now I just feel like I can just, I can see where I need to be going. And it's just about taking those little steps to get back to, to that. Yeah.
Sam: Girl interrupted. Yeah.
Joe: Yeah. No, you've got a good energy today. I reckon you're going to bounce back. Yeah.
Sam: Great energy today.
Ali: Yeah. No, like I said, I did say to Joe and like, you know, apologies to the lot that I just, I felt like I crawled through those last couple of episodes. I wasn't
Sam: myself. But you showed, you showed an adherence to duty, which is sometimes. You know, necessary and admirable. And, you know, and you didn't
Joe: grumble. But no one wants to go back to me and Sam talking about no self. That's right.
Sam: And if you're ever, if you're ever, if you're ever unwell and can't do it, like, you know, too bad. We're just, you know, yeah. Well, so that's where
Ali: that work ethic is there. It is there. Like I just, I doubt myself, but it is there. I've seen
Sam: it. Yeah.
Joe: Well, yeah. Let's create some envy in the podcast world towards us.
Sam: I think we have a little.
Joe: I'd love to do that. I can't wait to get that message from Nick McKenzie, like, man, I wish I had what you had in the pod sphere. Yeah, nice pod. Reminds me of my first eight Four Corners episodes I hosted.
Sam: And you know what's annoying about Nick McKenzie? That he would never flex on you like that. No, he'd be really nice. He's too good of a
Joe: guy. He'd be really nice and be like, is this condescending that he listened to the show? Yeah.
Sam: Has he, did he throw me a pity listen? Fuck you, Nick. Yeah. I take it all back. I'm still mad at you. Yeah, yeah,
Joe: yeah, yeah.
Sam: All right. See you guys. See ya.