Speaker 1: Welcome back to another episode of Excuse My Grandma. It's Kim and my cohosts.
Speaker 2: Grandma Gail.
Speaker 1: Grandma, it's been so long. I was in Europe for a week. I have so many dramatic travel stories.
Speaker 2: Can't wait for you to tell the audience because this was weddings from hell.
Speaker 1: Well, can I just say I was saving stuff to tell you for the pod, but then I was texting mom the whole time and then she just tells you? So it defeats the whole purpose.
Speaker 2: She's my daughter. She tells me everything. I tell her everything.
Speaker 1: But it's not like it's like immediate.
Speaker 2: Well, there was a there were smokescreens going up all across New York. What where was Kimberly? First start with the airplane trip, which you know, when I think about it, because I'm taking a United flight and I'm gonna mention the name of the airline because it's so disgraceful. Yeah. I was wondering
Speaker 1: whether I wanted to put them on blast. And I was like, it was that bad.
Speaker 2: It was really first of all, know, there was another plane. They were discussing it all week because it wasn't only your plane. You'll go into the story. But there were other flights in United that day that took eight, nine hours leaving Newark to get to Chicago. They had to take planes to Philadelphia and trains. So there was something going on, and you can't tell me it was that one thunderstorm that happened. No way. I mean, that just something was going on at the airport that they're keeping a secret.
Speaker 1: You texted me and you were like, Your flight's on the news. But I don't know if it was our flight.
Speaker 2: No it wasn't your flight. It was the Chicago flight. But all right go ahead. Tell your story.
Speaker 1: By the way did you miss me?
Speaker 2: I didn't miss you because I kept kept seeing what you were doing.
Speaker 1: Oh because I was posting
Speaker 2: a lot. You were posting and I was having a good time watching you. But I did miss you sweetheart. I always miss you.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Missed you too. No hesitation. Yeah, I normally don't take as many photos, but I feel like Zach takes so many. And so it's good because now I have all this
Speaker 2: You have a photographer in residence.
Speaker 1: Right. As people want their boyfriend, that is what he should be doing. Okay. So the the the issue was we were going to Naples, Italy,
Speaker 2: my hard to get to, by the way, for those out in the audience who have not been. That's a difficult trip no matter what.
Speaker 1: Well, we were going to Rovello, which is a few hours from Naples, but you fly into Naples. Correct. I feel like Naples actually wouldn't be that hard because it's a direct flight. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But they're not that many direct flights. Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: There's, two. Alright. So but you are on a direct flight. We're on
Speaker 1: a direct flight. We're sitting. I know a ton of people on the plane that are going to
Speaker 2: the wedding. All the best friends were on this flight. You were going a day before to try to get to all the festivities. It Yes, this was is four my day best friend
Speaker 1: from high school. Still one of my best friends. I meant to give a speech. Right. Am like a big part of this wedding. Like I sat next to her the night of her wedding. Like this isn't like a random friend.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Not only that you've been packing and planning for this wedding for the last three months. Yeah. I can attest to that. We've had dresses going in, dresses going out, bathing suits coming in, bathing suits going out, of which you probably wore one.
Speaker 1: Exactly, because I was there for twenty four hours. Okay. So everything is going well.
Speaker 2: You're all on the plane.
Speaker 1: We're on the plane. At the time of takeoff, we're literally taxiing to take Right.
Speaker 2: Then Come to a stop.
Speaker 1: Come to a stop. And first of all, the pilot was so incommunicative. That's that's Is that a word?
Speaker 2: Noncommunicative. I just think that people have to be made aware why you're sitting on a runway for hours.
Speaker 1: I'm wondering if they either don't tell them. Like like Oh,
Speaker 2: come on. The pilot has to know why he's sitting on
Speaker 3: the runway. This is ridiculous. Also, Zach showed me some app that you
Speaker 1: can listen to all of the, like, airway pilot conversations.
Speaker 2: Freak me out often.
Speaker 1: I know. Probably. But he was like, I'm sure they were all talking on there.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So anyway, as we're supposed to take off, he does say like, there's about to be a weather issue. Right.
Speaker 2: There was something at 07:00. But this But you boarded the plane at 04:00.
Speaker 1: We boarded the plane at 3PM.
Speaker 2: I mean, your takeoff was 04:00.
Speaker 1: So we're like, okay. We are they're like, they're and closing the airways, so we're just gonna, like, wait in line. That's fair. Two hours go by with no update. And we're like, this is so weird. What's going on? They say they keep saying
Speaker 2: And no food has been given out or any drinks.
Speaker 1: No food. No drinks. There was one round. I don't remember at what point in this of well, we were in business class, so of champagne. But champagne. But nothing else. Right.
Speaker 2: At 04:00 in the afternoon you could pass that up. Right.
Speaker 1: So already strange. I bought so much food from Butterfield, thank God, because it got me through You 12 did the
Speaker 2: whole I hope you shared. Was that? Nobody else or your other friends I were
Speaker 1: was starving. All I had to do was there was nothing to do except for eat the food that I brought. And like, watch the two downloaded shows that I that I got eight hours. Right. Like, cause eventually they say, okay, we've been waiting for so long that our crew time now. We should go back to the gate. But then it was like hours and hours on end without being able to even get a gate because there were so many planes trying to
Speaker 2: go Doing the same thing.
Speaker 1: So, eventually, we get off the plane. It's 1AM. Get back on the plane an hour or so later. They rebooted everybody. After getting a
Speaker 2: new cruise. Was there an option this because I didn't ask you this before. Was there an option that not to go at all? In other words, did some people not get back on the plane? I wonder.
Speaker 1: I didn't see that.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay. But I bet there because this We don't have to do anything. No. But maybe some people miss their connecting flights. Right. You know, and all the the other things.
Speaker 1: And know what's funny? I didn't see that many people complaining. They were all That's one both. Each other, but we weren't complaining to them because I think, first of all, you're delirious at, like, 1AM. But also Delirious after eight hours. I think you've just, like we were just saying, like, we don't even care. We just wanna get there because then we're gonna be we're gonna have an issue. And I think most people were going to, like, a wedding of some sort.
Speaker 3: Some activity. Right.
Speaker 1: So we were just like, we just want this plane to take off. There's no point
Speaker 2: in, like, So now you got off
Speaker 3: the plane. Got We back on the plane.
Speaker 2: Back on the plane.
Speaker 1: I fall asleep because I figure we're gonna go. Right. 03:30 in the morning. I hear an announcement. This is a canceled flight. So everyone's like, holy shit. We get off. We wait till for our bags till 05:30 in the morning.
Speaker 2: Right. Then go back to York at 06:30.
Speaker 3: You had
Speaker 2: a wonderful trip for a You could
Speaker 1: have gone to Asia.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Asia and back. Asia and back.
Speaker 1: I actually got there, we unfortunately missed The first day. The first night and the first day. But I was there for the night before where I gave a speech and then I got one day in Rovella.
Speaker 2: Well I was gonna ask you, did the hotel charge you for
Speaker 3: that extra night because it wasn't the hotel's fault. Right, I know. I asked and they said they'll have to let me know.
Speaker 2: Oh, alright. Because everybody else on the fly, those other six, eight couples, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: They didn't stay at my hotel. Oh. One actually, one of them one of
Speaker 2: the couples did. Right. Okay.
Speaker 1: So weird. I don't know what's gonna happen with that. It's
Speaker 2: fine. And whatever happened with the airline? Did you ever have Yes.
Speaker 1: So Zach is like the customer service king. All he
Speaker 2: does is Complaint.
Speaker 1: Complain
Speaker 2: to customer service. This perfect for your family. A big complainer.
Speaker 1: Because because here's the thing. Like, usually in my family, we complain about these things and we're like, Oh, it sucks that we had to be out this amount of money or whatever. But Zach actually does something about it. All right, good. So he complains to the
Speaker 3: right person. So let's see what happens.
Speaker 1: You We got $800 Plus
Speaker 2: your airfare back.
Speaker 1: Plus my airfare back. It's better than nothing.
Speaker 2: Dollars 800 in cash or $800 credit to the No, that's
Speaker 1: the thing.
Speaker 2: Well you can use that for Florida because they do have that United flight that sometimes you go on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, was beautiful. Beautiful place.
Speaker 2: And your friend looked gorgeous. Yes, she did. Saw her. She looked like a doll. I mean, her dress was beautiful. Her husband now is a very good looking guy. He was very cool. I like the way he dressed in his white. He was
Speaker 1: He wore a white tux?
Speaker 2: Yeah. He looked very handsome. Yeah. Well, it was very apropos of the area. Yes. You wouldn't wear that in New York, but but he looked very handsome to be in Italy. Yeah. Looked very cool with no socks. Tell him I noticed that no socks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I did not notice that, but I guess that makes sense. It was hot there. It was like 80 and sunny Oh, and
Speaker 2: supposed to be a beautiful place. I've never been there. I've been to that part of Italy, but I've never been to that
Speaker 1: particular resort. It was a bit harder to get to, it was a little less touristy.
Speaker 2: Touristy. Europe is packed. People keep saying that nobody's going anywhere. Meanwhile, every time you try to book a flight someplace, they're completely booked.
Speaker 1: No, it was so busy everywhere we went because afterward we went to Spain for one of Zach's friend's wedding.
Speaker 2: Right. Where you had that beautiful Indian outfit I loved. I said this to you afterwards. This could be your new look. It was I don't have
Speaker 1: any other Indian weddings unfortunately. I thought that I would walk into the apartment and you would have been there and reorganized everything
Speaker 2: Yeah, while I was would not go into your apartment now. You have a significant other and I would not do that. When you were living alone, I would have been in there 55 times fixing things up. But I have to tell you about my week without you was
Speaker 3: very, very The best time ever.
Speaker 2: What I the was very busy. I went out with friends. I played in a couple of card games. They everyone was surprised to see me. They said, you're not working.
Speaker 3: You? Okay. You're very to everything.
Speaker 2: No. I don't. I'm not going today. There's something going on. And I said, no. I'm working this week. So anyway, it was a very nice week. The weather when you left was freezing cold, so you had really nice weather in Europe. It has not been nice in New York. We're gonna get now, we're starting, it's June of course now, it's gonna be starting to get more summery. But we really go What drives me crazy is we had those three or four Remember those heat waves in April that all of a sudden the flowers got The tulips all wilted from the heat and we didn't have any rain. Now since then we've had freezing cold weather, below average weather. So now hopefully in June we're gonna really start getting summer weather. And the Hamptons this last week, it was packed. I mean, it was really Memorial Day was Even though it was not raining, it was storming. But people all I guess, you know, people who rent houses or who own houses are all out there, the restaurants. But my favorite thing was there was a write up on one of these local magazines talking about this cute little diner called Babes.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I've been dying to go.
Speaker 2: Well, forget it. First of all There's eight seats. It's open from Thursday to Sunday, and I was there during the week this week. I didn't know that. I thought it would be open like on Wednesday. Thought maybe Monday and Tuesday it would close. So Wednesday I was by myself. I said, I'm gonna and they say they're hour waits to get an egg sandwich and to get the blueberry pancakes.
Speaker 3: Because it's already social media. Has gone crazy. Exactly.
Speaker 2: So I drive into the little place, which you're really not even supposed to do Where is exactly? It's right on Division Street going towards before you get into the town of Sag Harbor. And I go into the little air, the driveway where there are a couple of other things in the same driveway and it's all dark. I said, Oh, darn. They're not even open yet. There I am. Now I see a man in there in the window. So I I wave, and he comes out. I get out of the car. He's the sweetest guy, the guy who owns babes. Okay. Yes.
Speaker 1: He says We that should befriend him so we can go whenever we want.
Speaker 2: I I should've, but I didn't even think of it. He said, I'm having a breakdown. So I said, what's wrong? He said, we had so much business
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That I had to close.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He said, and I have to get more people in because he can't. He said, I can't do this. He was prepping on Wednesday to open Thursday morning. He said, I'm exhausted.
Speaker 1: Crazy lines.
Speaker 2: So crazy lines. And he ran out of food, I think. So anyway, we're gonna get there.
Speaker 1: He's gonna an eight person place in the Hamptons and that's so adorable. Right. And, like, there's such a lack of breakfast places.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the whole thing. People are dying to go to those kind of places.
Speaker 1: And then what? You expect not to be busy?
Speaker 2: Well, maybe he wouldn't have been busy if four people on social media hadn't constantly be talking about his blueberry pancakes. I know.
Speaker 1: But he's going to
Speaker 2: be a big success already and I wish him well and we're going go try it.
Speaker 1: I definitely We'll
Speaker 2: want get there Thursday. For you this is going to be difficult. Have to get there like 08:00 or 08:30. Well, other than that, you're not going to get in.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's breakfast. So I guess
Speaker 2: And it closes,
Speaker 1: I think it's my breakfast at home. That's the reason I'm late to things is because I'm like having breakfast What
Speaker 2: are you having an eight course breakfast? I'm taking my time. I know.
Speaker 1: But you'll be proud of me. I didn't eat my oatmeal breakfast any day in Europe.
Speaker 3: You didn't eat it? Well, their breakfasts are wonderful. There's good breakfast there
Speaker 1: and they have oatmeal.
Speaker 2: And that's how they eat. They eat their breakfast the way you normally do. Most Americans don't eat like breakfast with, like I know. With oatmeal and all kinds of Seeds. Germs and birch crap that you put in your cereal.
Speaker 1: But I don't hear something so funny. It's actually not that funny. But when we went to Seat Jess, which was the last place
Speaker 2: we Right. Went You went in Barcelona.
Speaker 1: I didn't know if we were going to go down for breakfast. I didn't know what the breakfast situation was going be. And I brought my oats with me, but I didn't eat them any day yet at this So I'd already been in Europe for a week. But I was like, I'm going take them down with us because it's the last day anyway. I'll throw them out if we don't use them, So we go down, and it's actually like a good breakfast. We put breakfast.
Speaker 2: People love breakfast in Europe.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So then we go to sit by the pool there, and somehow they all exploded in my go yard bag. Oh, no. And, I mean, just dry oats. Right.
Speaker 2: So I just had to dump out everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But it was like a week's worth of oats. Exploded or you didn't seal it?
Speaker 2: No. How can oats explode, Kim?
Speaker 1: I didn't seal it.
Speaker 2: You didn't seal it.
Speaker 1: And Zach says I have a problem with opening closing things, like my water bottles and, like We're on the beach. So he's like, let's just dump them. No. And then he why not?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if that's that's right. Maybe not. To a garbage can.
Speaker 1: It was all over the chair. We were like we it was all over the towel, so we just we just just put the towel, and then we threw it over, like, the balcony kind of. Oh. But then we're
Speaker 2: like it's You were littering in Spain. They're gonna they're not gonna ask you to come back to Barcelona. And it's basically birdseeds. Yeah. It
Speaker 1: is. So it's like, okay. We're feeding the birds.
Speaker 2: You're being very nice.
Speaker 1: But there were no birds that came, actually. They didn't even walk.
Speaker 2: But you don't know, maybe they would When They thought when we you left, maybe they came over. Yeah. They wanted to eat in privacy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But it was like gorgeous every single day.
Speaker 2: And your plane ride home was fine. You got in early.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Plane
Speaker 2: home That was just a freak day, I think. For some reason, I think there was something going on in the air traffic control area in that Newark area because New York airports were not having that problem. So I think it was specifically something in the New Jersey vicinity that they were watching.
Speaker 1: I was sad though, I
Speaker 2: didn't have time to shop. Well, you know what, you'll go back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're going back to Europe in Right,
Speaker 2: in July there were a lot of sales in some of the stores in All
Speaker 1: I brought back was Limoncello because they gave it to us for free.
Speaker 2: Oh, well my friend makes that. That's very You keep that in the freezer.
Speaker 1: They make it professionally or
Speaker 2: like fun? She makes for fun. Oh. Because she's Really? Yeah. Well, she's Italian. She always makes Italian dinners and she brings it out as a dessert. She's saying,
Speaker 1: I don't even know. No, but it's the liquor. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. I don't know how you make it.
Speaker 2: Well, she knows. I'm not making
Speaker 1: it anyway. But I mean, I guess we'll make use of it at some point. And then otherwise, like, I feel like you just had to wear really light clothing because it was really hot.
Speaker 2: But so hot. Now it's been look what happened in in France now with the French Open. They were passing out. Really? The sinner had to drop out, and I think another player had to drop out. It was like, oh my gosh. You know, it was like almost 95 degrees to play. They were dropping in the fifth set. They couldn't stand up anymore, the poor people. But now it's breaking. So that's why I'm telling you it's gonna come here. Whatever goes over there eventually comes here, we're gonna probably get it the middle of June.
Speaker 1: I will say I needed my sneakers the entire trip.
Speaker 2: You forget
Speaker 1: how much walking there is.
Speaker 2: It's also cobblestones. Nothing is flat.
Speaker 1: And the town Rivello, it's actually a walking town. Like, there's no cars allowed.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love But
Speaker 1: you would not believe I haven't walked like this in ages, which my back issues mostly, but, like, this was, like, flights and flights of steps.
Speaker 2: I saw one of your things.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was like, oh my god. I didn't even know if I could do it.
Speaker 3: But You did.
Speaker 1: I did it slowly, and it was fine, and I it it was totally
Speaker 2: I don't think grandma's
Speaker 1: gonna But I be like, my legs were so no. No. No. I genuinely was like,
Speaker 3: I don't know how Well, how do the older people on the trip do I
Speaker 1: don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: I don't know. We went to the Belmond Hotel for lunch, which I guess is a popular It's
Speaker 2: like a
Speaker 3: bigger hotel.
Speaker 2: That's Yeah. A they own our hotels all around.
Speaker 1: There was like a I'm not even kidding. The most flights I've ever like like at least a 100 steps. And and we had gone through like a back way, I realized. Right. But Zach was like, this is how you go to the hotel if you wanna have lunch here. And I was like, there is no way.
Speaker 2: And all
Speaker 1: those I know that my friend's grandpa was staying there who's in his late mid nineties. Right. Did not walk up these stairs. There's absolutely He might have.
Speaker 2: He did a 26 mile marathon. That's true.
Speaker 1: But I was like, There's no way. And I walked up the stairs reluctantly because I wanted the pizza that I wanted for
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 1: And then we realized that was the back entrance and there was a normal way walk
Speaker 2: in with flowers. Don't they have like, I know that in Positano and some of the hotels on the because it's all up on cliffs. Some of the hotels have elevators that take you all the way up to the restaurants.
Speaker 1: There was none of that. Or down. There was none of that for But I wear a lot of different types of sneakers as
Speaker 3: Which you is great. And I think I've
Speaker 2: I'm in figured my out sneakers today. I'm wearing them all over New York now.
Speaker 1: But by the way, those are not those are fashion sneakers. Those are not Well,
Speaker 2: not anymore. They're sort of grubby, but but you're No.
Speaker 1: But like Prada sneakers, like, they don't have, like, the cushion Oh. Of like
Speaker 2: Like, if I walked in a So bunch which one of different Which one did Okay. Think got
Speaker 1: to sign it. Because I had, like, three different favorites. My favorites were
Speaker 3: HOKA. Okay. I had the HOKA.
Speaker 2: I didn't think those were so cushiony.
Speaker 1: They're not they're no longer at number one. Right. New Balance, but not any New Balance. There's one type of New Balance. I wore them today. I think they're like the I want to get the exact model, it's not three But you
Speaker 3: could link it.
Speaker 1: I think it's like $10.80, but I'm gonna link it. Right. Because they're like the biggest cushion you can think Okay, well And that's I realized wearing them that I can walk more without discomfort than other ones. So like these are the number one now.
Speaker 3: Alright. So I ordered another color.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say I would order a couple of them because now I can't get these anymore and I'm wearing them all the time. The new style isn't the same and they're not as comfortable on me. No. So you know, when you get something you like, just get it in a few colors. Yeah. I mean, and keep it in the closet. It's a staple.
Speaker 1: And then the last one, oh my god, what are they called? Brooke, why am I blanking?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but come
Speaker 1: back Brooks to Running. I think it's Brooks Running. Okay. Those are very comfortable too, and they look a little bit more Stylish. They still look like gym sneakers, but they're like cute gym sneakers.
Speaker 2: Alright. New ballet that is not cute.
Speaker 3: Everybody's wearing them now. I told embarrasses me.
Speaker 1: Because I feel like girls, like, they're okay walking around in ballet flats during the day with
Speaker 3: a Yeah. Ballet And I just couldn't.
Speaker 2: Alright. You know what? You look beautiful. I saw pictures of you. You look pretty every day.
Speaker 1: Well, in the pictures, I'm like, don't get the sneakers in it.
Speaker 2: I love, loved every single thing you wore. Thank Didn't matter. And really after all that effort, you came through.
Speaker 1: It was a good time. Was glad, Zach and I had only been international once together to London. So this was like a nice fun experience.
Speaker 2: Okay. And you're still together? We're still together.
Speaker 1: We're not moving out. Okay. I also one of my videos went viral on the airplane when
Speaker 2: I was Although eating that thing, Dot the cakes. But meanwhile, there's been a whole write about those dot cakes. Yeah, they say they're tasteless. No. No. No.
Speaker 3: They're so good. They're so good.
Speaker 1: I promise. I wouldn't say otherwise. It's like the frosting out of the jar. What is that called? Right.
Speaker 2: A buttercream. No. No. Buttercream brand. Betty Crocker.
Speaker 1: Yes. It tastes exactly like Betty Crocker frosting with sprinkles and cake. Like a
Speaker 2: nostalgic Oh, cake. It's not ice cream. Cake. And I see I saw a lot
Speaker 3: of people eating it and commenting on them. Girl got it at they sell them at Butterfield.
Speaker 1: Apparently someone from Roslyn, of course, that does it, that made it. And Good for her.
Speaker 2: How entrepreneurial. I think it's terrific.
Speaker 1: I know. And one person had to post it for it to, like, go viral. And now there's I don't know if you've passed Butterfield. I pass it all the time.
Speaker 2: Well, are always a line at Butterfield.
Speaker 1: But this is, like, way longer than the Froyo line. This is crazy.
Speaker 2: Yes, good for this for girl. I'm proud of her. This is the whole conversation now. It's all over the papers about AI and how jobs are going to change. Yes, jobs are gonna change, but people are gonna be more creative now. And it's not gonna be the standard thing when you got out of school, you're gonna go work for an insurance company or a bank. You're gonna create something yourself. And my hat off to all the young people who are being a little more out of the box in their career choices. And I and I think this girl developing this cake, good for her. And she'll come up with other things as well. But I'm very proud of all these people who are really doing new things and doing them well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I need to do a deep dive. I don't even know if it's her I don't know who the woman is.
Speaker 2: Oh, have no idea. I just saw saw you eating it on the plane, and then I saw a lot of other people commenting on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was kind of crazy how viral it's going. There'll be I wonder what the next iteration will be like and how long it'll last. Like, you never know with these things. Like, it could be a week.
Speaker 2: A minute. Or That's alright. She had her moment, it's like Babe's Dyer. You have his moment in time and if he does well this summer, he'll go on to something Now I was gonna ask you something about your food. Did you love the food in Rovelo versus the food in Barcelona? Did you like the food in both places or one more favorite than the other?
Speaker 1: I prefer Italian food to I like Spanish because like I got spaghetti with tomato sauce and a margarita pizza and it can never be bad.
Speaker 2: No. That can't be bad no matter where you are.
Speaker 1: In a beautiful place and Limoncello and like there's just nothing better. So I liked that. And I actually thought the wedding food was really good. Oh, well, that's
Speaker 2: nice.
Speaker 1: Basically it was like at these restaurants that already were like, it's their food. So it wasn't like a random caterer. Wasn't a caterer
Speaker 2: who
Speaker 3: came in.
Speaker 1: Right. So it was really good. Spain
Speaker 2: I love the seafood in Barcelona. It's usually delicious. So we
Speaker 1: went to really good restaurants in Barcelona. I'll give you guys the recommendations because I wrote them down.
Speaker 2: Yeah because Barcelona is a beautiful city. And of course you didn't get in to see the quidro because you didn't get the tickets in advance. But you saw it, right, from the distance?
Speaker 1: I saw it from a distance from a room.
Speaker 2: Because I think it's all done now, the Gaudi Cathedral.
Speaker 1: There was still a giant crane.
Speaker 3: Really? I think there'll always be Gosh.
Speaker 2: I think there's always a crane there because it's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: So in in Barcelona, we stayed at the addition, which is fantastic. Right. To be honest, like, I'm so American, but I was like, I can't get an iced latte anywhere. And and when you're at the addition, which is like an American hotel chain, they were just like, spoke perfect English.
Speaker 2: Well, that
Speaker 1: is They had the coffee so the
Speaker 2: way that
Speaker 3: I I'm talk know.
Speaker 2: Let's not be proud of this.
Speaker 1: I'm not, but I was just like, okay, finally. Okay. They have the things that I love. And then we ate at this place. It was very small kind of tapas Right. Vibe, but it was exactly what we wanted Right. Called Bar Super. That was good. It was in the area we were staying in, was like The other hotel. Quarter. Okay. We went to a place called La Papita and a place called Martinez where that place had very good paella.
Speaker 2: Right. Which is, oh my god, Poppy's favorite.
Speaker 1: And I was like dying to have paella, so we found this place. It was great. But then subsequently had, like, five more paellas.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure at the wedding. I'm sure they served all that.
Speaker 1: Right. And, like, when we went to those because you
Speaker 2: were in Barcelona a couple of days yourselves, and then you went to the next wedding, the second wedding on this trip.
Speaker 1: In Siges, it was like only those beach restaurants that like had paella. Authentic. Right. But they weren't as good as the first Oh, really? Okay. So but then I was
Speaker 2: like You became a connoisseur of paella. Comparing all the paellas. Exactly. It's like pizza. Like you compare pizza in every city you go to.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Okay. So by the end, I was like,
Speaker 2: I don't need
Speaker 1: to see seafood for like another few days. Okay. Oh, we had sushi the night we came back, but like something different. Right. But we had some good meals. I can post some more recommendations at some point. Well, I'm
Speaker 2: glad you had a good time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was nice.
Speaker 2: We were all we were
Speaker 3: all here thinking about you. Did you watch the Knicks game?
Speaker 2: I watched the Knicks game every single night that and they Poppy went to sleep. Couldn't know how they were very exciting and I'm in love with the Knicks. Now I'm worried because this coming Wednesday, which I think the podcast is coming out Thursday, so it'll probably be. I'm worried about the first game. First of all, they're playing off the They're You're not playing not playing I love basketball. I always loved basketball. I love basketball when your uncle played, I like And to know the when your brother played, I never missed a game ever. I think it's a fast, exciting game. And when you sort of, you get, what do you call it, involved with the players. You're worried about his hand, you're worried about this guy's shoulder, the knee,
Speaker 1: his leg. I don't know if everyone's wearing. I think as a grandma maybe you're looking
Speaker 2: No, at them I love these guys. And just, Bronson he's such a team player and he's such a terrific athlete. They're all terrific athletes. Don't know what I'm talking about. Doesn't matter what team you're watching. They're all graceful. They're like ballet dancers. I don't even know how they do it. And they're on a court running back and forth for a total of forty eight minutes. But it's fabulous. And no, I did enjoy it and I'm very excited about Wednesday. I'm a die hard Knicks fan so I'm hoping. I'm hoping because the other team was rated the best in the country.
Speaker 3: Who is it again? The Spurs.
Speaker 1: Okay. I'm a Knicks fan. I love going in person cause I feel like it's a spectacle. Well, we have a good that's what
Speaker 2: you like more than anything else.
Speaker 1: For sure. So I would never think to turn it on television because you don't get any of that experience.
Speaker 2: I actually like it on television. That's crazy. It's like watching tennis on television. The only game I really don't like watching on television is baseball. It's like that is so slow. I think they have to speed up baseball. I don't know how they're gonna do it. It maybe shouldn't be nice.
Speaker 1: Maybe people just have it on, like, in the background.
Speaker 2: No. I used to like it a lot more than I like. It's too slow for me now. I guess I'm I'm I'm getting older. I want things to go faster so I can go on to something else before I die. Oh my god. I don't wanna die in the middle of
Speaker 1: the game. No. I mean, I think our my generation, at least, like, our attention spans are so short. Well, your attention spans are zero. Idea how people are watching game. Like, I watch a thirty second clip on fast forward. So I don't know how people are watching an entire baseball game. We are going to the Hamptons soon. Right. You've already
Speaker 3: been out, obviously. I've been out a couple
Speaker 2: of weeks. Yes. Stayed out last week.
Speaker 1: I'm excited to go. Beautiful.
Speaker 2: The trees are so beautiful. Wait. Well, the beach, you're not ready for the beach yet. It's been free. It
Speaker 1: was Okay.
Speaker 2: Thirty, forty But in degrees
Speaker 1: my head, I'm excited to, like, sit by the pool and, go to Wolfer Vineyards and walk around East Hampton.
Speaker 3: Okay, beautiful. Everything is And
Speaker 1: there's a few new places besides Babes that I want to
Speaker 2: try. Okay.
Speaker 3: Have you heard of like Maison Close, Jeans? I haven't heard about anything because I have
Speaker 2: to tell you, I went to the same old places and they were all wonderful and everything was busy. Okay. So, you know, but you go to the new ones, tell me about it and then I'll try it.
Speaker 1: Wait, what are your like five restaurants everyone should go to that you love that are actually Worth worth the
Speaker 2: the hype? Yeah. Okay, because that's a different story. There are a lot of restaurants that are now worth the hype. Think Tutto in Sag Harbor is still gorgeous. If you can get a The problem is guys, when you're listening to this thing, it's very hard to get reservations. It's hard to get reservations in any city. The top restaurants, New York, the
Speaker 1: trendiest restaurants.
Speaker 2: They're all right. Food is not like going to Paris. So you have to realize it's a It's summer a It's Biblo K on the water. I mean, I go for more of atmosphere than the food. I eat very simply when we go out. Because you
Speaker 1: want to feel like you're summer in the Hamptons.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Anything that has a view. Beacon. Beacon. And Beacon opened a new place in Sag Harbor. What's it called? And I don't know it's right next to Sen. I don't know the name
Speaker 1: of it. Oh, I saw that
Speaker 2: on Instagram. I don't know why. Sag Harbor was jammed this weekend because the weather was terrible and everybody was on the streets. So, I don't know. Everybody has to find something that's their favorite. My favorite still are the shacks that serve the clam chowder.
Speaker 1: The clam bar.
Speaker 2: Or lunch. I love the clam bar. Montauk has a lot of those little places to go for just a bowl of clam chowder and some steamers. I like Topping Rose. We did go Saturday night for someone's anniversary.
Speaker 1: Pretty.
Speaker 2: It was very Well, we had to sit inside. Was Because it was so cold. So that's the problem. When it was cold, you don't get the same vibe as when it's in just
Speaker 1: Camping Grill is good inside. I just love Hillstone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we went there. Bobby and I were out there for ten days. So we went to every Were you really? We went to the New Gulu. I didn't know there was one. Yes, they opened La Gulu in Southampton and it was delicious. I think
Speaker 1: that was their
Speaker 2: last Yes, was. But we didn't go last summer. I don't think we're gonna go again either because we live in East It's too far. It's too far. Takes forty five minutes. It's closer to where you are. Swifty's? Oh that hasn't opened yet.
Speaker 1: Oh, really? No. Well, mean, was open last
Speaker 2: It's gonna open, I think, the first maybe not this weekend, but I think the second week in June. It's all weird. Because it's all been no. It was all renovated. I can't wait. It's gonna be What you mean
Speaker 1: it was renovated renovated last year?
Speaker 2: No, but she's done more. Oh. They are brilliant, brilliant hotels, the Witten Halls. All the rooms have been redone and it's it's gonna be I think it's gonna be the place to be.
Speaker 1: Other new ones, there's a smoothie place that's in the city and in LA that's coming out there called Sun Life. I saw it.
Speaker 2: It was where Estee was, but
Speaker 1: it's tiny. People are really divided though because apparently that was like a hamster Estee was
Speaker 2: a hamster institution. I don't know. I saw people taking things out from there when I went the back road to my friends. Is that sad
Speaker 3: or no? What, honey?
Speaker 2: Is that sad or no? I'm not sad about it. It's new generations come in. I think it's more of a Mediterranean cuisine. I'm not
Speaker 3: What is? Sun Life.
Speaker 1: No, no, Sun Life is a smoothie place.
Speaker 2: That's all it is is
Speaker 3: Yeah. Smoothies.
Speaker 2: Oh, I thought it had food as well.
Speaker 1: No, no, no.
Speaker 2: Oh, no wonder they were carrying bags. No, it's just They were all doing takeout.
Speaker 1: Oh, Okay. And then there's a Cucina Alba, Bar Lume, Dante, I think Montauk. Actually, the Dante's in Shelter Island.
Speaker 2: Oh, and I love Shelter Island.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But weird place to open something.
Speaker 2: No. People go to these places. I mean, we Shelter Island's great fun. I mean, it's great for people in the North Fork, especially.
Speaker 1: I got
Speaker 3: that's true.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, there are all kinds of communities. People who think the Hamptons are only certain communities. There's a whole area out there. There's a wine area in the North Fork that's fabulous that people go to. So I mean, you know and now Hampton Bays has got a hotel that opened a couple of years ago that's beautiful. So you know what? When you're coming out, don't worry about the top three. Find your own favorite. There could be a little tiny shack somewhere that you love.
Speaker 1: I love Sac General Store for coffee and then book tour. Know that too. No reservation. But you do actually have to wait in line sometimes.
Speaker 2: That's alright. Waiting in line is part of the whole thing out there. Markets are waiting in line for a ransom.
Speaker 1: Life is waiting
Speaker 2: in line. Well, exactly. Wait in line all the time out there. That's half the summer.
Speaker 1: Yep. Let's end the episode with a This or That summer edition.
Speaker 3: Okay. Beach or pool?
Speaker 2: Neither because I don't sit in the sun, but I would guess I would have
Speaker 1: to say pool with a big Okay. Beach for sure. I'm like a mermaid. Froyo or ice cream?
Speaker 2: Ice cream. I think
Speaker 1: I like Froyo. I'm into the Froyo thing right now. You're into the whole thing. Really quote, really quick side story. There's this there's all these Froyo places opening in New York City right now. It's, coming back again.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: There's this place Mika. I think that's how you say it. Right. You? Is it near me?
Speaker 3: Yes. Oh, they I think
Speaker 1: they just opened one uptown, there was one in the West Village. Right.
Speaker 2: There's one, think, right on
Speaker 3: next to Anita Gelato. Oh, is there?
Speaker 1: Okay. So there's, lines and stuff. Zach and I in Barcelona, we saw it, and we were like, let's go. Even though it's, like, around the corner, I guess. But the one in New York always has a line, and this didn't. It has good people in line. Delicious. Alright.
Speaker 3: So that was funny. Sundress or linen pants? Linen pants for me. Sundress for you, I guess. I like both. Okay.
Speaker 1: Beach in Italy or beach in the Hamptons?
Speaker 2: Beach in the Hamptons. Our beaches are much our beaches are the most beautiful in the world.
Speaker 1: Backyard barbecue or lobster roll?
Speaker 2: Oh, I like both equally the same. I love a good lobster roll, but I think I like a hot dog in my backyard the best.
Speaker 1: I knew you were going say a hot dog.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love a hot dog with sauerkraut. I had that for Memorial Day. We went to where we go to play golf, and they had the best hot dog on that grill.
Speaker 1: Really? Oh my god.
Speaker 2: It was so delicious with the sauerkraut.
Speaker 1: I think I like a lobster roll more than, like, a hot dog or a hamburger, but I like the feeling of being in the backyard barbecue.
Speaker 3: Both are good. Both are good.
Speaker 1: Okay, excited for the summer. And we have a lot of fun episodes coming up too that I think you guys will like with some great guests. So keep watching and listening. Follow us on social media. Excuse My Grandma. My personal is Kimmerstein. That's where I was posting all my Euro trip content if people were confused. And we'll see you soon.
Speaker 2: See you soon, everybody.