Sam: Welcome to another episode of Unashamed Unafraid. Unashamed of sexual addiction, recovery and unafraid of coming onto Christ for healing. You know what? I really love
Chris: me.
Mason: That's what I love too.
Sam: what I was gonna say. I do love you. Uh, that's a good looking shirt, Chris. I like, I like a shirt that fits well.
Chris: Heck yeah. I, I love me some flannels,
Sam: Yeah, you guys didn't, this was, uh, just before we started recording, but, uh. Chris has got a nice flan of shirt on today I literally told same if you wanna see what it looks like, hop on our YouTube channel. He's looking really good
Chris: What you guys should already be watching. The YouTube channel.
Sam: So what are we talking about today? Mace?
Mason: Talking about slowing down. Talking about slowing down. I was listening to, uh,
Chris: slowing down? Slowing down in what?
Mason: Slowing down in our recovery, talking about slowing down in our recovery. I was listening to Doug Nielsen's podcast. Go check that one now. It's freaking great. And do you remember
Sam: episode
Mason: is? Nope.
Chris: We will figure it out though.
Mason: We'll, we'll put it in. you guys just talked about slowing down your RPMs is the way he puts it. And I'm interested, I have tons of questions, so let's just get into it.
Chris: Swing.
Sam: So, slowing down the RPMs in recovery, why is it important to slow down and what does that look
Mason: Mm, yeah, essentially.
Chris: love it. Well, 'cause I, I think first, like especially when, say, say you get caught, right? caught by a spouse, caught by parents, whatever that, whatever that is, then everybody's like losing their mind. They're freaking out, they're still totally upset and they're like, you gotta do this, you gotta do that. So in that mode that you're in now you're like, oh my gosh, I've got to do everything. I've gotta do this, I gotta do that, and I gotta do that. And then all of a sudden you're trying to do everything at once and it becomes so overwhelming that you stop or that you, that you just, you just feel like you can't do it all and it becomes too much, too hard, and. You just kind of stop. And so slowing down is really a, a good way to, to really like pause and think so that you can think clearly and get to that place of being like, what is next for me? That's all I just need to know because I can't go from acting out every single day. For years, and then all of a sudden I'm stopping. If you think you could do that bullshit, like it just doesn't happen. I mean, you may have like one or two in the world that will do that, but it's, yeah. It's very, very, very, very rare for something like that to happen. Right.
Sam: Well, I wonder if speeding through recovery described, probably one of the symptoms external pressure, you're doing things that aren't
Chris: right. And then you're
Sam: or 12 weeks.
Chris: I'm not doing enough. Yeah, because I still, oh, I still act. I acted out, so I'm obviously not doing enough. And that maybe that you're just doing too much and you're not doing enough of one thing. That can really help you in recovery. So slowing that down of being like, all right, I just learned like a whole bunch of tools, a whole bunch of different things that I could do. I looked up online a bunch of different ways to overcome pornography. I looked up or I went and sp spoke with my therapist or my coach and taught, got taught all these things. Now what do I do? It's like, oh, what is my next step? I just need to focus on one or two things and be like, I'm just gonna focus on that for maybe the next three weeks or the next month, or whatever that looks like, and get really good at doing that one thing.
Mason: Mm,
Sam: Well, I just was thinking back to the conversation you months ago where you called me and we were talking about like, what does my recovery
Mason: Yeah,
Sam: right. I'm doing everybody else's recovery. What does my recovery And I wonder if, I wonder if part of recovery, knowing what to do in recovery, knowing how to next thing is, talking about, is taking time to
Chris: Yeah.
Sam: That's what it looks like to slow down I, I think I told you in that conversation, I was like, dude, you know what you And you were like, I remember you. Like, yeah, yeah,
Mason: yeah. Like it was clear. It was
Sam: do know what I need.
Mason: Uhhuh. Totally. Yeah. And, and that was, I think that was a big part of why the conversation was so helpful is because it forced me to slow down. Right? Like being able to talk to you and kind of have like a bounce back forced me to slow down and not be so in my head, which usually goes a
Sam: Yeah.
Chris: times. Yeah. Well, you think about it too, like if, if you're in the middle of the day and you act out in the middle of the day, like you're at work and you got all this temptation that comes in and you're just like, I'm just gonna hurry up, go and act out, get back to my day, rock it out, get you're not slowing down.
Mason: Mm-hmm.
Chris: So then later that day, you still want to act out some more because it wasn't enough or, you know, the, the next day comes in and you're not slowing down. You're not allowing yourself to be able to process the emotion that you're actually trying to cover up in the first place, because acting out on pornography is a way of mismanaging emotion. You're. I'm feeling stressed. I'm feeling like worried. I'm feeling, the stress of like all this stuff coming at me, coming at me at work or my life in general. Like all these things that are coming at me in life and not taking the time to just slow down and stop and be like, Hmm, I need to figure this out so I can make a healthy choice. We talk about that in, you know, with my clients, I'm, I'm talking about the path, right? Pause. The very first thing when a temptation comes in is to pause, to just wait a second. I don't need to do anything yet. I just need to pause for a moment. Slow down. Then you acknowledge what is that emotion that you're going through? What is, what are you feeling? Right. That's for the PATH acronym. Pause, acknowledge, and then set a timer, take two minutes, set the timer, and just sit in the emotion and just allow yourself to feel it. Instead of being like, I just got numb from it. I don't like what I'm feeling. I gotta, I'm, I'm bored. So I need to like, figure out what it is or not figure out. I need to, not be bored. So what I normally do is I go to act out, but when you're feeling bored, just allows you to pause. Then acknowledge what the emotion is around it. Take two minutes and just allow yourself to just sit in it, set the timer, like pull out your phone. Everybody's got phones that have alarms on 'em or that have timers on 'em. Set two minutes and be like, I'm gonna sit in this and allow myself to fill it for two minutes. Then I can make a healthy choice. ' cause now you're like, I actually do have a choice in
Mason: So I wanna, I wanna revisit what you were talking because I heard something recently. It was like, instead of learning something new, take a moment to integrate And I think I'm a huge, I'm, I'm guilty of that because what I love to do is listen to podcasts and books, and read things and all this kind of stuff because it makes me feel like I'm. Making progress even though implementing
Chris: from all those books and
Mason: Right. Yes. That was my point. And so even though my sobriety isn't changing, I'm still acting out just as much as I was before, but it makes me feel better. And so how can you deal with the fact? And sometimes I think I deal with, I. Don't wanna slow down and integrate some of those stuff because I want immediate re like results. I feel the shame and I feel bad when I'm like, okay, I'm doing this stuff but it's not working. But it's like, I did it for a week. Right. Like, like I guess, I guess help me, like what do I what? Gimme advice.
Chris: tell me, tell me, do you guys look at YouTube and flip through and scroll through YouTube or Instagram and you just like keep scrolling? Yeah. You are training your brain to only allow yourself to have a maximum of eight to 15 seconds of, of satisfaction. Then you're done to the next one.
Mason: Mm.
Chris: Right? And so it's, you're not even letting yourself slow down, even just your brain. You might be just sitting there chilling and doing nothing. But you're not letting your brain process what is actually happening and what's going on in your life. You just scroll because you get bored and you're just like, onto the next one, next one, keep going. And you're training your brain to only have, , these really fast increments of, dopamine hits and keep going, keep going, keep going. And you're not allowing yourself to just sit in the emotion. So it's like I would challenge you guys both like if, if, if you go to an office or sitting in a line. What is the first thing that you guys do when you're standing in the line?
Mason: Get my phone
Chris: My phone. Pull up your phone. Yeah. So I challenge you to, to like instead of pulling up your phone, just keep your hands in your pockets and just, just look around.
Mason: Hmm.
Chris: I do it all the time. I'm like, Nope, I don't need my phone right now. Because I'm guilty of that. I'm guilty of like pulling out my phone in line or whatever, you know, just, and then I feel disconnected from everything And I'm like, I'm unaware of my circumstances around me. First of all. 'cause I'm in my phone, I'm like, I want to be more aware of my circumstances. I wanna know what's going on and see what's around me. Like it start to enjoy what is actually around me, what's going on around me.
Sam: How has the speed of your, the, your thought processes the pace since starting
Chris: Well, if you look at my life, my life is like, for a long time it was like super crazy. Yeah. Even up until June. Yeah. My, my life was like nuts. 'cause I was building my practice. I was working another full-time job, so I was working 70 hours a week. It was like nuts. Right. , But there was times where I, I was like. I have to make sure that I take this time, this weekend, or this time to be able to settle down and just allow myself to just pause and think and not numb out through Netflix or not numb out through, Instagram or something like that and just sit in my own thoughts. It's okay for us to sit in our own thoughts and be like, Hmm, what's going on in here, man? What, what, what was my, like, that's why, um, I will talk to a lot of my clients about gratitude and using a gratitude journal. Like that's totally an episode that we should, we should have to do. And it's talking about gratitude and what the powers of gratitude are. but sitting in that and being like, what did I accomplish today? What am I grateful for that I did today? Because so many of us are like looking through the day going, I didn't do jack crap. No, you did stuff. So slow. So allow, it's allowed me to be able to, to slow myself down so that I can be with myself. I'll, I'll even hear my own heartbeat sometimes. I'm like, this is kind of weird. Right. So
Mason: I'm interested now, how does that, 'cause we've talked about like kinda why that's good for you, but how does that translate You know, what will that recovery to help me stop acting
Chris: Because now you can actually like process emotion in a healthy way. ' cause you know what you're feeling, you're, you're like allowing yourself to feel doesn't, you're starting to name emotions. So like the how we feel app. Is a really good way because then so many people are like, well, I'm angry, or I'm bored, or whatever. And they just generalize all emotions into like one, like a few, like five or six general emotions, not really knowing what they're feeling. That's why I like how we feel. 'cause you can scroll through and like look at each emotion and be like, Nope, that's not what I feel. And go to the next one and be like, oh, that's totally what I feel. 'cause it, it has an explanation of it. So then you're gonna actually start to name what you're actually feeling in the emotions and be like. This is interesting. What are the healthy choices I can do to help change this emotion? Because now you've allowed yourself to process it to sit in it. And what I normally do is go and act out and instead I'm gonna make a healthy choice
Sam: Yeah. I think there's power. There's power in being still. I, I think that's part of the recipe, uh, of
Chris: That's exactly where I was gonna go. Yep.
Sam: Like I go out in the mountains and connect with men and have solitude for the first time maybe in years, connect with some allow
Chris: to slow down. Yeah. To connect.
Sam: Yeah. I think if you operate by God can
Chris: It's like
Sam: principle. Slowing down, meditating, things will change in
Chris: Totally,
Mason: I think this is making me think just like I've, like we said, I've just been doing the how we for like and I haven't really been even slowing but that even has just helped me to slow down just a little bit to think about and to emotions because it has the whole color grade thing and it, you can go through and it has a little description of how you're feeling and. I think it's hard to know what you need help with unless you know And I would totally generalize say, I'm Right. When I was growing up, like I didn't wanna talk to my parents my emotions
Chris: and when you're tired, what do you do? Right. You go to sleep. Yeah. But when you're saying I'm tired, and then you're like, well, I'm just gonna go and look at porn, or I'm gonna go and check out on Netflix or YouTube or whatever. You're not tired.
Mason: So even just this last week has helped me to realize a little bit more what is actually happening. And now I can go connect with or I can go take a healthier choice 'cause I know what I help that emotion. That I'm As opposed to I'm just tired and I'm, it's just an off
Chris: day. Yep. And that, oh, go ahead.
Sam: feeling that the accomplishments that I have less That's also of hustling when I talk to the fastness
Chris: right?
Sam: They talk about they talk
Chris: experiences with God.
Sam: experiences where you slow down
Mason: Yeah,
Chris: Totally. Well that and that's why , at bootcamp when we have, you know, younger dudes like you guys come through that are un under 25 and they walk away from bootcamp going. well, around that age. Dang, you're getting old man.
Mason: You guys are all way old. Dude, I'm 23. My goodness.
Chris: So, so like when, when you get these younger dudes that come in and they are finally like, they put their phone away. Like we just had an 18-year-old that came down to bootcamp in Arizona and he's like, that was so powerful for me to finally just set my phone down and not touch it for three days. He goes, man, it allowed me to connect with me. Allowed me to, to connect with God in a way that I never thought I would even experience. And you know, and that's why those vows of silence can be so important you're slowing down and just letting yourself connect. Because think about when we pray, we're praying right before we go to work or, and then we we're, we're off to work or we pray and we go fall right to sleep or whatever that is. We're falling asleep while we're praying. Right, whatever that looks like. We're not even giving God a time to answer. And we're just like, well, he doesn't answer my prayers, so I'm out. Like I'm out on God because he doesn't answer my prayers. Are you listening? Are you paying attention to what he's actually sending you and the love notes he's giving you? Because we just aren't in, sometimes we're not in a posture to receive it because we're not paying attention to it. We're not slowing down enough to be able to hear him or hear ourselves think of what's going on with me
Mason: Yeah. So I feel like we've been saying that a lot when it's slow down. But Chris, give us some practical ways like, how we do
Chris: Yeah. finding, like I was saying, find one or maybe two things that you've learned in recovery and just focus on that, not doing all of them all at once. Find one or two things that is like, you know what, I'm gonna focus on this for the next two weeks or the next three weeks, or whatever, and get really good at that. And then move on to the next thing and make, and then just add that into it. So if you look at that conferences, if you guys ever been to like a, a super cool motivational conference, it's awesome. And you, you're like, man, I'm gonna implement this and this and this, and this is like fricking amazing. And you walk away and you're like. I didn't implement shit. It's because it's too much. You gotta take one to two things, slow that down, one or two things, and implement that, and then add to the next one, and then add to the next one later, you know? And then all of a sudden you're like, Frick, I got sobriety. I got all sorts of things.
Mason: Yeah.
Sam: How does Doug say it? Slow down Slow down the
Mason: And I think that can help. I think what, what you guys talked about meditation
Chris: Yeah. From
Mason: prayers being outside,
Chris: Why do we meditate?
Mason: I think exactly what you're saying. We meditate so we can slow down, understand, connect, I think what we were talking about earlier, connecting with ourselves, connecting with other, connecting with God, connecting and I think will help us to integrate more than one thing that helps us to slow down and be Whoa, whoa, whoa. Like don't get ahead of yourself. Focus on what I'm focusing I don't need to bring in all this stuff. At least that's what it would do Because I totally am guilty of what you're saying. Like I just bring in all this stuff. So
Chris: Team meditation people are like, well, I'm not very good at meditating because my mind, my mind wanders. Well, now that's what you're supposed to do is all of a sudden you're like noticing your mind is wandering and then you're bringing yourself back, and then two minutes later your mind is wandering again and you're bringing yourself back. That is exactly what meditation is designed for to help you be self-aware of what's going on in your mind.
Mason: Yeah.
Sam: I like the word ponder like the word ponder because meditation I think a lot of people woowoo of meditation because of, because of the context the. connotation of that word. And I think the principle is, pondering and that looks different
Chris: for I like that. Yeah. Love that. you
Sam: don't have to sit in a room your thoughts. That's good. But there's a lot of I think most healthy yeah, I to be said You find ways to be still that So what's your way of being still? That's the principle. How are you
Chris: That's why I like hiking so You can't, you can't just All of a sudden imagine yourself up onto the, the top of the peak. Yeah, no, it's gonna take you a little bit of time to get there and you got lots of time to process emotion and think about it while you're going up.
Mason: I think the underlying thing as well that stillness, It's just connection. with yourself, connection with God. And that's what sometimes is hard and scary. Yeah. Is the connection with
Chris: Totally.
Mason: But it's so important to
Sam: Well guys, we want to hear from you. What are you gonna do in your life to start slowing down the RPMs and take some time to be still? Email us, Chris sam@unashamedunafraid.com. Email us.
Mason: email? Email me at Mason. seius1@gmail.com. That's S-E-L-J-A-A-S, the number1@gmail.com.
Sam: Copy me and Chris. We want to hear about it. Guys, thank you for watching another episode of Live Unashamed. Find us on social media at unashamed unafraid. You can get access to our bonus content and become an outsider on unashamed unafraid.com. Remember to subscribe to our YouTube channel, and if this was helpful to you, it'll probably be helpful to someone else. So take some time right now to share it with a friend. Thanks again for watching and to tell next time, continue to live unashamed.