Cedric Chin talks to Lia DiBello, who discovered that all great businesspeople share a common mental model of business.
In more recent years, Dr DiBello is more well known for her work on accelerated expertise — she published a book with a few other researchers in 2016 with that very title. She and her team have created something they call the Strategic Rehearsal, and this actually stemmed from her PhD work, where it was called the OpSim. What the Strategic Rehearsal allows WTRI to do is to accelerate the acquisition of business expertise in the businesses that they consult for, and her training interventions have been used in industries as diverse as biotech, pharma, manufacturing, financial services, and others.
- The Triad Mental Model of Business, paper: https://wtri.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Informed-By-Knowledge-Chapter-12.pdf
- A summary blog post of the triad mental model: https://commoncog.com/blog/business-mental-model/
- FutureView Platform — http://futureviewplatform.com or https://acsilabs.org/
- WTRI — https://wtri.com/
- List of publications by WTRI, which, if read chronologically, includes a full history of the Strategic Rehearsal — https://wtri.com/research/publications-by-wtri/
- Lia's LinkedIn — https://www.linkedin.com/in/liadibello/
- Lia's Twitter — https://twitter.com/LiaDiBello4
- Gary Klein on WTRI's training with Rio Tinto, on miner safety — https://www.psychologytoday.com/sg/blog/seeing-what-others-dont/201803/training-if-your-life-depended-it
- The Oxford Handbook of Expertise — https://www.oxfordhandbooks.com/view/10.1093/oxfordhb/9780198795872.001.0001/oxfordhb-9780198795872
- Accelerated Expertise — https://www.amazon.com/Accelerated-Expertise-Research-Applications/dp/184872652X
01:32 Lia’s Story
04:49 The Triad Mental Model of Business
10:38 Transfer of the Triad Between Business Domains
16:18 The FutureView Profiler Explained
20:42 How She Gets Her Clients To Accept Profiler Recommendations
25:21 The Midwest Foundry Story
40:14 Cognitive Agility
47:32 How Great Businesspeople Learn in the Real World
51:08 How This Has Affected Her Practice as a Businessperson
54:42 What Lia is Currently Working On
1:01:10 The Cognitive Science Behind the Strategic Rehearsal
1:09:47 Piaget and Vygotsky’s Theories of Expertise Development
1:17:50 The General Form of the Strategic Rehearsal
1:21:56 Non-Business Applications of the Strategic Rehearsal
The coffee company Lia mentioned: https://amorperfecto.com/
The Hollywood Bowl performance: https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/events/performances/1258/2021-08-27/carlos-vives-with-the-la-phil
Some words from Amor Perfecto to describe what they do:
This is a coffee movement launch. For almost two centuries coffee has been at the service of the intermediaries and not of the coffee growing countries. Amor Perfecto, in collaboration with amazing people like Carlos Vives, his wife, Claudia Elena Vasquez and their Tras La Perla Foundation, is going to push to rebalance the unfairly tilted value chain of coffee. Every one in the coffee world knows it exists. Equally important, the product of Roasted at Origin coffee by Amor Perfecto, harvested, roasted and set to you from the mountains of Colombia is a uniquely amazing coffee. It might be the best tasting coffee available today, because producing coffee where it is grown makes a much fresher, better tasting coffee. As Luis Fernando Velez says “have you ever seen the French exporting containers full of grapes to make champagne in Brooklyn?” Coffee should be no different.
What is Commonplace Expertise?
The Commonplace Expertise Podcast is about the expertise that exists in the heads of the most interesting people around us. We interview guests with the goal of helping you make better business and career decisions in your life.