D Abshire: Computer. So here we go. Welcome. Hello and welcome to the Grant Writing and Funding podcast and YouTube channel. My name is Dee, Coach Dee. I'm a guest host today, and this episode is sponsored by the Freelance Grant Writer Academy because we're doing a case study. And today, I want to welcome GrantMe Consulting Services and Deborah Bear Rogers. Deborah joined the academy approximately five months ago back in December and has had some amazing results. And welcome to the show, Deborah. I'm so glad you're here.
Debra Bare-Rogers: Thank you. Hi, Dee. Thanks for having me.
D Abshire: Hi. You know, we just have a few short questions. And I know it's just going to be really interesting to hear your results. Of course, I've seen them. And having this conversation together is just really nice. So first off, can you tell us a little bit about what you were doing before you joined the Academy and, you know, really why were you interested in joining?
Debra Bare-Rogers: I would love to. So, again, my name is Deborah. I always start with my name. And when I got when I found out about the academy, I had actually gone to a Grant Writing Summit. And I went virtually. And one of the the workshops that they had or sessions that they had was Holly speaking about her experience or about her the Grant Writing Academy. And so I had heard a few of her podcasts because as a grant writer, I was looking for anything that said grant on it and loved her energy. I, when I saw her at the summit, like she was warm and kind and real. And, you know, I had said something about where I lived and that I was a hiker and like she remembered that later. So that really connected me with like, okay, this isn't just an opportunity for somebody to talk and make money. This is an opportunity for somebody that wants to help others and that really engaged me. And so I had to figure out a few things financially. And I joined the academy as soon as I could. I was knocking at the door before it was even open for the next class. So it was something that it felt right. It felt like what I needed to be doing next in my life.
D Abshire: Yeah. Yeah. I hear you with that. We have some interesting parallels there because I could almost take your story and overlay it with mine, timing wise and how we met and all of that. It's always so interesting to run into that. You know, was there anything that anything you were on the fence about before you joined the academy and why you decided to join? You you mentioned getting the finances in order. What all was there? What were you on the fence about? Or that just took some time?
Debra Bare-Rogers: It it just took time and you know, investing money in something any anything you do is I've I'm very budget conscious and in starting a new business, it was like, I'm not making any money yet, but I need to figure out what to do to start bringing money and to start getting clients. And I guess I wouldn't know this. Want to say I don't want to say it's a hold up. But one thing that that I found out in joining the academy was that I was still learning how to stop being an employee and start being a business owner. And I think so when I joined and all of a sudden there was a lot of energy and there were people that were succeeding and this, that and the other thing, at first it was like trying to navigate that and not step off into the corner and just observe, jump in. But I'm also a person that jumps in. So I was just like, I have hesitation about if I can do this, but I want to do this. So here I am, I'm jumping in, you know, like I said, I'm a hiker. Like I just got onto that trail and just started moving and pushing myself past that.
D Abshire: So
Debra Bare-Rogers: that was something I came in with kind of holding and just jumped in because what's going to happen? I'm going to learn something and move forward or I'm going to learn something and find what else I'm supposed to do. So I took that hesitation and jumped in.
D Abshire: Yeah, well put. And that's certainly my memory of seeing you come in as you just went in all in and jumped right into the middle of a class that we were in the final weeks of tying up and you were just all in with it. It's like how much how much can I take in? How much could I learn even in this short little bit when I'm not you know, they've been in three or four weeks ahead of me. Mean, a lot of people might have might have let that put them off a little bit, but you just went in full force with that. And that was really, really fun to see. That was my first experience every year. I really enjoyed that. And you know, so who are some specific, what have been and are now, some specific results that you've gotten from joining?
Debra Bare-Rogers: Well, just my presentation when I'm talking to people about my business. When I first came in, I had what I wanted to say. I had what I wanted to charge and what I wanted to give or provide for grant services. And even the people that I connected with back in October and November, I'm seeing my conversations now with clients. I'm more polished. I'm more professional. I can get engaged, not quite as much as I talk about hiking yet, but when I'm talking about grant services and people are coming back to me and asking me questions. I'm like, wow, this is amazing. Because I have grant writing experience, but like I'm getting more experience every single time I do curriculum or connect with another grant writer or, you know, great connections and accountability partners that I can go, okay, I'm having this conversation with a client. They want to move with this. How would I do that? Or can I can I spend fifteen minutes telling you how I do that? You can tell me what I'm missing or what I need to add to it. So it's polishing, you know, getting even sharper in the work that I'm doing. And and it feels I feel more authentic.
D Abshire: Yeah, yeah, you know that's one of the, I love that, that's one of my, you touched upon one of my personal favorite aspects of the academy is that ability to brainstorm with our peers. I just love that. You jump right in there and you take a lead with that. You also stand back with that. You also, you know, take that from others. So it's a really reciprocal thing. It's very holistic. I love watching it and watching you be engaged in it. So, you know, with that, what's changed really since joining? What's changed in your business? What's changed in your life? Because the results, because I've watched those, but tell some of our listeners here what's happened in these last six months, less than six months.
Debra Bare-Rogers: Yeah, so one thing that's changed for me is, I think I mentioned it before, I just definitely feel more polished in my conversations.
D Abshire: And
Debra Bare-Rogers: I'm making connections with potential clients and also learning how to When I first came in, I was like, I have to grab all the clients and they have to sign with me or they don't like me. You know, And I had to learn that if I reach out to a client and we meet in January, that it might be April, May or August that they reach back out to me. And so staying connected with them and keeping those doors open. And also, when I learn something new or when I find like a potential grant or a new piece, I don't know what else to call it, but a new piece like, oh, here's a different opportunity in your state related to your sector. I can send that to them and it doesn't have to feel like we've closed the door because they didn't sign right away. When I first came in, thought it was an all or nothing type of situation. And I'm finding people are coming back and asking questions and opening that conversation, which just makes my business stronger and then makes the relationship stronger, I believe, well when we start working together.
D Abshire: Yeah, yeah. I love that. So well put. The opportunity for relationships and to realize that this made me so angry in the beginning that it really is a process. You know, it's not a one and done as you just described it. It's not transactional. You know, when we're really engaged in this, it's an iterative process and there's always more. There's always more to learn. There's always more to learn from a client. There's more always more that you find out later on as a grant writer to be able to share with a potential client. Or even if they're not a client, you know, they're a networking partner now because you've had contact with them over time. And I just, I love that. I love seeing that develop and I love hearing hearing you speak to that as well. You know what, with that, yes.
Debra Bare-Rogers: I'd like to add one more thing to that too.
D Abshire: Oh, sure. Please.
Debra Bare-Rogers: The other thing in working with clients that I've learned too, is how to work with them and meet them where they are. And at the same time, not compromising my business and not going, oh, can I give you a discount? Or how can I make this better for you? We work together, but then also I've had clients that they can only do a certain amount at this time until the new fiscal year. And so, like you said, building those relationships, I think I've become more well, I'm more flexible and at the same time, I don't compromise who I am and what I'm doing.
D Abshire: That's an interesting combination, isn't it? To have boundaries and also be flexible. Meeting someone where they are at and yet not giving ourselves away.
Debra Bare-Rogers: Yes.
D Abshire: That's a tricky balance. I can't do it for free. Nor should we, you know, and learning that I think is you're articulating really well, know, being able to come in and grasp that and put that into practice, not just knowing it intellectually, but how do I put that into practice and be kind and humane and with someone on their journey, you know, as we're developing those relationships. I love that. So in with that, what are some of the, I don't know, top one or two or three features of the program that have been the most helpful to you that have helped you get to what you're articulating right now?
Debra Bare-Rogers: My top one or two? I have to say my top one is the circle, is the opportunity to go on. It's online networking. Going and asking questions and then troubleshooting with somebody. And, you know, connections with other grant professionals has been a really big thing for me. And then also going to the coaching calls. And sometimes I go in with a question and sometimes I don't know I have a question till somebody else asks something and I'm like, wait a minute. I'm thinking of moving forward with this or here's a question that's coming up when you're saying that. So just the connections with other grant professionals has been a really big thing for me. There's a couple of us that meet a couple times a month and sometimes it's a specific thing we're working on. And other times, it's like just a check-in and accountability. Okay. I was gonna work on this and move forward with this. Where are you at in your thing? And so the the circle connections and and and I can go on circle in the middle of the night and have a and reach out and have a conversation with somebody, which for my schedule, it works really well because sometimes I'm done with my work, but I'm still working on something or something comes up and I can ask that question. So a combination of those two. And I love working from home. I love working from home with a cat and, you know, and the house to myself. And then I like making those connections in my own environment as well.
D Abshire: Love that. Just for clarification for our audience, Circle is our platform for our curriculum and also for our networking, networking with asking a coach a question, as well as brainstorming with our peers. That's just so powerful. Love that. And we share. And we share our wins. Yes, do. We share and we celebrate each other's wins, and I love that aspect of it as well. You know, is there anything that surprised you in the program? But you're like, I wasn't expecting that. Wow!
Debra Bare-Rogers: You know, I thought about this question and I don't think there was anything well, I'm not sure if I would use the word surprised. Think because I was thinking about this and there isn't anything wait, like, I didn't expect that. I came in very open minded and willing to learn. And just, you know, like we talked about earlier, as soon as I joined and then it was holiday break. And then I was like, wait a minute, where's my people? So I jumped into curriculum like, you know, like a brand new brand new toy to play with and got really busy with it. So what rather than surprised, I was just energized. And I love that I can get energized when somebody else gets a client or somebody else has a grant win. And it's just like, yeah, Judy, you can do this. You got this. And that energizes me. And so in my transition from an employee to a full time business owner, I've been able to see that. And then I'd be able to see other people's successes. And it's like, yes, we are doing this. And it's been really great to have that transformation and have people that like know when you came in and, you know, come back to a question that you had before and with, you know, with an answer or an idea. And we're like full of ideas in this in this group. So I think that's the thing that's energized me. So it didn't didn't surprise me, but it's energized me and kept me coming back at 08:00 in the morning, jumping on and and getting my workday started.
D Abshire: Well Well put. And you know, there's just there's such value and such fun in making this journey with others and them catching you when you succeed at something that you've been working with, struggling with, talking about, convectioning about, and over and over and over, and then all of a sudden, bam, and we're like, look at you, look at what you just did, you know, and you're doing that for others as well. That's so much fun. That's one of my most fun things too. I really enjoy it. Thanks for that. You know, so we're kind of, you know, close to wrapping up here. You know, what would you say to someone who's unsure of joining and maybe they're in the same position you were before you joined. They're trying to figure out, well, can I can I do this? Is it gonna pay off? Is it You know, all those questions, all the various questions we have. What would you just say to someone and help answer some of their questions?
Debra Bare-Rogers: Oh, great question. I would say that if you're on the fence, you know, and you have the opportunity to take this chance and like to join for a year, pay the one year membership, do it. You know, come in open minded, willing, asking questions. One thing that's really energized me as well with the Freelance Grant Writer's Academy is that people can come in with all different kinds of backgrounds. I mean, even if you come in and it's like, yes, I've worked in nonprofit, but I've never really done grants. Or you've got ten, fifteen years of experience in grant writing. Or you've been the person who does free grant writing for different organizations that you care about. There's a whole area of background that comes in. And you get into these meetings and you get into the curriculum and the conversations and it's not, oh, you're more important than you're more important than you have more experience. It's we all come in. Don't let the fact that you may not have a lot of experience or you might have experience you don't even realize. Somebody pointed out to me that I've written a lot of scholarship applications and other types of funding and it didn't say the word grant on it, but different things in my background and the work that I've done. So you might also come in and you have the opportunity to learn what you already come to the table with. And then we start from there and we move from there. And then so there's somebody that might have a great background in childcare. Anybody that's worked in childcare, you've written plenty of things asking for money, right? And so it just polishes. And so come in with whatever experience or newness that you have and just jump in and do it. And you'd find me on circle. You can talk to me and ask me any questions you have because I love troubleshooting with people as well. And that's what's going to make us all successful and move our nonprofits, for profits, municipalities forward in their missions as well, which is a goal for all of us, not only our personal mission, but the missions that we work with.
D Abshire: Yes, yes, and yes. And thank you for that. Thank you for all of this. Thank you for your time. And you know, you told us a little bit about where someone can find you on the inside. They can find you inside Circle on our platform. Where else can people find you, Debra?
Debra Bare-Rogers: You can go online and look up Grant Me Consulting Services and you'd find You my can also go on LinkedIn and you can find me there as well under Debra Bear Rogers or Grant Me Consulting Services.
D Abshire: Wonderful. And we will pop each of those links into our podcast here so that folks can find you. And thank you so very much for your time today. It's just been lovely to listen to you articulate in person. We see each other a lot online, and it's really nice to spend some time together today. Thanks so much for being here. Thank
Debra Bare-Rogers: you.