Coaching Through It
ICF Core Competency 7: Evokes Awareness
DEFINITION: Facilitates client insight and learning by using tools and techniques such as powerful questioning, silence, metaphor or analogy.
- Considers client experience when deciding what might be most useful
- Challenges the client as a way to evoke awareness or insight
- Asks questions about the client, such as their way of thinking, values, needs, wants and beliefs
- Asks questions that help the client explore beyond current thinking
- Invites the client to share more about their experience in the moment
- Notices what is working to enhance client progress
- Adjusts the coaching approach in response to the client's needs
- Helps the client identify factors that influence current and future patterns of behavior, thinking or emotion
- Invites the client to generate ideas about how they can move forward and what they are willing or able to do
- Supports the client in reframing perspectives
- Shares observations, insights and feelings, without attachment, that have the potential to create new learning for the client
- Asking the question: this would be to go deeper for the client to process
- Shares Observations & Noticing: without any attachment
- Silence: hold the space to allow their thoughts, feelings, and emotions to get to completion
- What sort of questions do you ask without any attachment?
- What ways do you encourage the client to make their own choices?
- What stories are you telling yourself?
- What’s one way you could move this forward?
- What words or patterns are you noticing about your clients?
- How do you "sit back" as a coach to notice?
- What ways do you present thoughts without attachment?
- What way do you let go of your own ego, as a coach?
- What does “good” coaching look like for you?
- What possibilities do you offer your clients
- ASK A CLIENT:
- What if… ?
- What are you taking away from this session?
- What actions do you want to take from this?
- What’s one way to move this forward?
How are you evoking a response, dear coach? Tell us about it:
What is Coaching Through It?
Welcome to Coaching Through It! Where coaches, Julie Larsen & Laura Pasquini, bring their questions, ideas, and insights about their coaching podcast to your ear. Listen, share, & subscribe!