Sam: Welcome to another episode of Unashamed, Unafraid. Unashamed of sexual addiction recovery and unafraid of coming unto Christ for healing. James? Do we do anything besides a podcast?
James: I've been working really hard on stuff that's besides a podcast. Nathan Maxwell Story - 2:26:26, 2: Have
Sam: ya?
James: Yeah. Yeah. Like a book. Like a guidebook. . It's taking a lot of time.
Sam: I think we're at what, four chapters in now with the editor?
James: We're just plugging along, man. Yeah. Just plugging along.
Sam: Yeah. So maybe by the time this actually gets released, we're gonna be pretty close to done. I hope
James: so.
Sam: it's been an adventure . And we think it's going to help a lot of people. So if you're interested in starting a group with the unashamed, unafraid guidebook send me an email, Sam at unashamed, unafraid. com, we'll get you hooked up. We want to get as many men, this resource as we can once it's finished. Here we are for another story episode with the one and only Nathan Maxwell. Before we get your story, I just, I thought it was so sad. The story you told us about the previous episode that you've recorded a year and a half ago. Will you tell us that story before we start?
Nathan: Absolutely. Hi, I'm Nathan recovering lust addict. My wife and I had come on the podcast about a year and a half ago, interviewed with. Listeners might know that there is kind of a shift of management, , And my recording never got published got lost in the move. So I'm, I'm back with new perspectives.
Sam: So what has changed since then?
Nathan: A lot about my marriage has changed. My perspectives on recovery remain pretty solid. However, how I apply them in other areas of my life has changed a lot. I used to live my whole life really, really loud and proud about my recovery, which was great however, in the big book of Alcoholics Anonymous, it talks about how New members can just really go to town and get lit on fire and everything is about recovery, recovery, recovery. And that was definitely me. That bled over into all areas of my life, which wasn't always super appropriate or necessary. , The past couple months, I've been really rocky with my marriage, and I realized that I took some recovery attitudes into marriage, specifically if something goes wrong, And I feel the effects. I'm responsible for it, and I need to do what I can do to address it. That's how it works in recovery. I need to be recovering regardless of what's happening around me. However, in marriage, it is appropriate and necessary to a healthy relationship to, yes, hold yourself accountable, but also hold your partner accountable. Which I was doing none of. I thought that everything was my fault. And I was putting the world on my shoulders, not how it's supposed to work.
Sam: Well, dude, tell us your story. Start from the beginning.
Nathan: Beginning. Nathan is in fourth grade.
Sam: And why do you start in fourth grade?
Nathan: Because my friend showed me on the school computer lab in elementary school how to go on Google images and look up naked women, which I did. And I don't remember finding any. But it was just very forbidden and intriguing. i'm a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints. this is not talked about it's just kind of glossed over. You don't do it. It's bad. Okay. Next topic. God loves you. Great. So I tried to find it that same year. A friend gave me a Japanese manga, which is by American standards, soft porn. They're just a lot more. Sexualized of a literature culture in general. So I had that, I hid it because I knew it was bad that if my mom found it, she'd be upset. When I was about six, my parents divorced, my dad was a high functioning sexaholic and alcoholic, but I didn't know that for several more years. But that is what broke my parents marriage apart.
Sam: How did that impact you?
Nathan: Oh, it didn't. Obviously. I thought I was like, Oh, That's fine. I go to dad's every other weekend now and my mom doesn't like video games, but I play video games all weekend at my dad's house. So that was really cool. My dad was the fun parent who said yes. And my mom was the strict parent who said no. I didn't know that I was doing little to no connecting with either parent cause I was just either playing video games or resenting my mom's rules. Parents got divorced, was introduced to the concept of pornography in fourth grade. A couple years after my parents were divorced, one of my dad's first children, my half brother, took his own life. He was 16, I was 11. And again, I had, I didn't know what to do with that. So I packed that away. I really specifically remember meeting, In a room close to the bathroom that I had stashed my soft porn book in and my mom and dad were in the same room together, which was strange because they were divorced, telling me about how my brother had died, bawling, and all I can think about is, I sure hope she doesn't find my porn. . Which was really traumatizing, obviously.
Sam: how do you make sense of that?
Nathan: I think that there was a lot going on that the only way I could cope with that or deal with it was with pornography. My core issue was I didn't feel like a good person. I didn't feel like I was good enough to live. I didn't feel like I was loved. Parents divorced, played into that. Yeah. Distant father played into that mother who was unmedicated for a while, diagnosed later with a few diagnoses, but she was just doing the best she could and it was rough I turned to pornography cause it's really easy to find somebody on a screen to say you're good enough and you're worthy because sex is sold in America. Sex is the highest form of love. It's glamorized. It's on TV and in books. And so if I can get that, then obviously that means I'm a good enough person. And I'm worthwhile. And of course, , fourth grade Nathan doesn't know any of this. He just knows Sure. It feels good to look at this, and it feels bad when I get caught.
Sam: Wow. You had this really significant moment where mom and dad are telling me that my brother just passed away and the only thing I can think of is, I sure hope that
Nathan: they're not
Sam: going to find that magazine. Right.
Nathan: Yep.
Sam: Right, there's a numbness. Oh, yeah, preoccupied with the shame That keeps you from grieving so I'm curious how that impacted you over the next several years of your life because that's huge
Nathan: yes. Definitely addiction aside. 21 2020. I had gone to the missionary training center for my church. I wanted to serve a full time mission. Got sent home because I was sexually active and lied about it. But, the reason that I advertised that I got sent home is because I had a big fat mental breakdown in the missionary training center about my brother passing away. And I'm like, what the heck is going on? This was 10 years ago. I thought I dealt with this. The next few months My body just would not function. I commuted by bike everywhere, I would just have to pull over and sit on the side of the bike path and sob because I had not dealt with the death of my brother. I had numbed it and pushed it away. So it popped out sideways like a beach ball, submerged under waves ten years later.
James: Trauma does that.
Nathan: Yeah.
James: when it's suppressed.
Nathan: Yeah, and I had no idea I was suppressing it. I remember telling therapists, I wasn't super close with my half brother. That's probably why I didn't feel very much. He was five years older, lived with his mom. Now looking back, I'm realizing, Oh yeah, there was a lot of suppression going on.
Sam: In what ways do you feel like Porn met some of those needs that you weren't getting during that, early adolescent time
Nathan: So four years after being introduced to porn, I'd had some time to, Develop it into a compulsivity. I was always looking for chances to sneak a glance at the, the raunchy magazine in the grocery store. Yeah, I didn't really get much more intense than that until I got a, a little tablet computer in eighth grade and I was looking at porn every chance I would say I did a lot less numbing and a lot more seeking to be lusted after. Eighth grade was the first time I had a girlfriend. She messaged me over Christmas break and said, I really like you. I had no idea who she was, but I was like, Oh, This is my God. This is what gives me a reason to be alive.
Sam: What do you mean you had no idea who she was?
Nathan: I genuinely, I had never seen her at my middle school. She texted me. She was like, Oh yeah, we're in the same, I've seen you in the lunchroom. I'm like, Oh, uh, I like you too. And I. Yeah, I didn't know who she was, met back up and held hands and it was a huge deal.
Sam: As it is.
Nathan: Yeah, but it's pretty sad, but I solicited explicit pictures from her, which she gave me. And that was in eighth grade, which is miserably early. Any, any time is too early for that, but yeah, that happened in eighth grade. I was overcome by shame because I knew for certain that it was, this was wrong. And my mom caught me, sent me to my ecclesiastical leaders office. I got a slap on the wrist and said, don't do it again. And so I never talked to her again after that that's what you do in eighth grade. I was so ashamed. And that was the first of, I tallied my fourth step inventory, about 88 people over the next. seven or eight years situation similar to that
Sam: So that flipped a switch inside of you.
Nathan: Yes, porn is nice, but having the attentions of a real woman is So much more validating and porn was always plan B. Oh if I can't Get somebody to sext with me today, then I guess I'll watch porn, but it was always like can I? Can I find people in my school? Can I find them online? Can I text them all the time? And then, as a teenager, can I meet up with them and how far will they let me go physically? Always, always seeking to be validated. Seeking for somebody to say, yes, you're good enough that I'll give you my body.
Sam: Right.
Nathan: Because I felt like I wasn't good enough The sex addiction cycled into that it there was just huge Scrupulosity and religious undertones of this makes you a bad person. This means you're evil Pornography is the worst thing out there. Just don't ever do it And so I was , oh clearly I'm a horrible person and then I'd need to find somebody to go medicate with.
Sam: Yeah
Nathan: vicious cycle
Sam: People could be afraid to talk about that piece of it because I think they don't want to You Bag on religion, but I actually think I would love to dig into that. And just hear your honest perspective on what you experienced and how damaging it was for you.
Nathan: Yes, I experienced no sex education from public school or from my religious friends. It was all from pornography. This is what you do. This is how you do it. This is what makes it a good thing. And that's like lifeless dolls smacking skin against each other, which is not healthy. So yeah, what my religious Culture taught me, I want to be very clear, this is not doctrinally accurate, but the culture that I grew up in was you don't talk about sex, you don't have sex, you don't watch pornography, your parents don't tell you about sex and then you go get married and it's a commandment now, go, go, go, multiply and replenish the earth, you gotta start having kids and raising righteous babies. And It was nothing and then everything, which is bewildering to kids who are getting married at 20 to 25.
Sam: how did you navigate the shame of being in those two polarized positions.
Nathan: somebody had to be wrong. It was either the church was wrong, or I was wrong and what I was doing was wrong, I ended up believing that I was wrong and what I was doing was wrong. I knew it was wrong, but it felt so good. I couldn't stop doing it, because I was definitely a full blown actor at that time, though I didn't know. Church was right, doctrinally, that yes, this is horrifically damaging. So I just figured I'm, more of a bad person because I'm, I'm still engaging this and I'm still pushing it to worse and worse levels, air quotes.
James: What's your relationship with God during this period?
Nathan: Uh, he's disgusted at me. He hates my guts. He just wishes I would stop, wonders why I can't stop. Doesn't really want to have anything to do with me. Not interested in answering my prayers. And definitely does not love me.
Sam: Wow. How long did you sit in the pain of that kind of a relationship?
Nathan: With God?
Sam: Yeah.
Nathan: Oh, for a significant amount of time. I found out about recovery when I was, Woah, woah, woah. 21. I had experienced some suicidal ideation when I was a teenager. Sex and lust it got really bad. And then I coped with it really well. More air quotes with lust because I was getting attention, When I was about 21, it was just so miserable and I was like, I'm so ready to die. I cannot keep living like this. I'm miserable. And yeah, that's, I was just sitting in my own filth and it sucked.
James: And you found some recovery?
Nathan: Yes. Recovery found me. God found me. Yeah, pretty much. So yeah, I'm acting out, getting in more and more trouble, spiritually, emotionally, legally. I was born in Salem, Oregon, was living 50 miles north in Portland, Oregon with my father. More as a roommate situation. And that was to enable my drug. My friend passed away, and I moved back to Salem, Oregon, to be with people who knew him, because I was 50 miles away from any kind of support. So, moved back to Salem, went to a new church ward.
Sam: So, you knew If I can distance myself somewhat from my support or from people who might encourage me to be healthy, then I can act out as much sexually as I want.
Nathan: Yes, exactly. Another big part of it was I came home from my mission after two weeks in the MTC.
Sam: Yeah.
Nathan: And I was like, I cannot be seen by people. the people in my church. I was like, Oh, moving to my dad's house. And it was two days after I came home, I had packed up and it was gone.
Sam: Wow.
Nathan: And I was like, I just have to be out before Sunday because I'm not going to church and having people look at me and make me feel like I'm not good enough. Yeah.
James: So you were projecting on everybody in your ward, assuming they would judge you.
Nathan: Everybody around me. I was like, surely everybody can see in my eyes. They
James: must hate me. That
Nathan: I'm a dirty person.
James: Hmm.
Nathan: Yes
James: surely they're judging me because I'm judging me.
Nathan: Yes, that's a good point. I've never thought about that. I was definitely projecting onto everybody. And I was so angry and defensive and miserable all the time against my mom, against my friends who were religious. I was fine with people who were fine with porn, but if I thought that they thought porn was bad, then surely they would think I was bad.
Sam: So tell us about the day you found recovery.
Nathan: Yeah, I did the geographical fix, moved back to my mom's house, which, to be fair, was a much more recovery conducive environment. My mother was a lot more spiritual than my father, who was still an addict. The city was less Portland y. I don't know if you guys know about Portland, Oregon, but there's a lot of Babylonisms going around. And
Sam: you were the king.
Nathan: Of that, of that one little corner. So, yeah, I went to church and this guy was there. I can't even remember how it came up, but he was like, Oh, so, do you watch porn? I was like, Are you gonna crucify me? Nobody can know about my dirty secret. He's like, oh yeah, no, me too, but here's this podcast called Unashamed, Unafraid. And so, started listening to the podcast. Who
Sam: is this guy?
Nathan: Samuel Nowak, living in the Dalles, Oregon. he's awesome. Thanks. Shout out Samuel.
Sam: Shout out to Samuel. We're going to verify. I'm going to contact him and make sure he's okay. Okay. Having his name on the podcast, but that's so cool.
Nathan: Okay.
Sam: So guy just comes up to you one day in church and says
Nathan: Hey, have you ever struggled with pornography? And God made me courageous enough to say, Yes, I have. And, and he just went to town with it. He was like, is this meeting in church that works this thing called the 12 step program? You should come to that. Also, here's this podcast. There's this guy named Chris who has this awesome story with his wife. And I listened to the hulk of hope story and it just blew my mind. I'm like, Oh my gosh. And it also made me realize I don't want to do another 14 years of this. He was doing in his life and his marriage. So
James: Unashamed Unafraid. Unashamed
Nathan: Unafraid! I went to boot camp with that friend. I also went with my father because I was pregnant. Pretty codependent and I wanted to fix him. So the first time I went to bootcamp, I didn't get anything out of it. I was like, Oh, surely my dad should be writing this down. My dad is probably getting a lot out of this session and I was just trying to fix my dad. But the second time I went was a lot more beneficial because I went for me and didn't go with anybody else.
James: The first one wasn't really the one And it was good, and I
Nathan: learned a lot. The second one Was
James: the third one the one?
Nathan: The second one was the one for me because I went for me.
James: Okay.
Nathan: I was at a place in my recovery. Three months into working this program and I'm on top of the world. This is so cool. I'm ready to quit. And I was spreading the message with fire and love. I shouldn't really have the whole message internalized myself yet. Sure. So that's where I was at the first time I went to bootcamp. But yeah, the second time when I went for myself, I drink the Kool Aid, as Steve put it. I was singing songs. I was holding people's hands. I was taking notes. I was praying more earnestly than the last time. I was doing stuff that made my heart come alive. Jeremy was there. He had his bows. I bought myself a compound bow when I came home. So yes, the second bootcamp was it for me.
James: And how far into recovery were you when you came a second time?
, Nathan: Maybe like a year, year to year and a half. I was just head over heels into recovery the moment I found out about it. Cause I had tried so many different ways to fix myself before I found out about God doing it for me in a, in the form of a 12 step program. So as soon as I heard somebody say Oh, you're not the one that fixes you. God fixes you. I'm like, Oh, okay. And I was really into it.
James: What was some of your big aha moments? Like, man, I wish I had known this.
Nathan: It's a hard thing because I had heard all those things before.
James: Okay.
Nathan: As a child in my church, you grow up singing songs like, I am a child of God, I heard that every week. God loves me, God loves me, God loves me. And yet here I am, thinking God hates my guts for what I'm doing.
James: Right.
Nathan: And it wasn't until I had experiences that changed my beliefs. Me offering my broken self to God and Him saying, Yeah, you've done some stuff that sucks, and I love you so much anyway. I learned to talk to God, and I learned to listen to Him in recovery. I learned to take care of myself more, take care of my body my emotional needs. There's just so much and I'm still learning. So I, yeah, my relationship with God is the biggest thing. And then I would say the second biggest thing is learning about why I was doing it. Cause everybody goes to porn, to sex, to women for a reason. Mine was that I didn't feel good enough. I just didn't know that.
James: Yeah.
Sam: Tell us about the moment where things started to switch for you in your relationship with God. I would imagine that was pretty significant.
Nathan: The one that always comes to mind was before I moved back from Portland back to Salem, before I found out about recovery. I was in a church on a weekday practicing organ because I played for my congregation and It just wasn't coming out. I was hitting all the wrong notes and I was like, I should know this. This sucks. And I was just breaking down, sobbing, having really exacerbated reactions to really simple events of me playing a song wrong. And I was restless and irritable wandering around the church and said, God, I think you hate me. But please just give me something. walked into this empty room. And there's a picture of Jesus Christ on the wall. I'm like, okay, cool. I turned around and walked out and I walked out to the parking lot and there's this father with his young son on a tricycle and they are both just so in love with each other. And God said, that is how I see you. And I just. Lost it, 45 minutes of me just bawling and sobbing and letting God's love in for the first time in a long, long time. And that's also the day I made the decision to move back , to Salem.
James: So I'm going to imagine there's probably a lot of listeners out there that are in a place of shame, self hatred knowing that they need to be fixed and that's why they're listening. Right. But they still need to. Understand feel or sense that God actually really loves them. Was that a journey for you? Was that a moment for you? If you could give some advice or some tips or insights into some listeners at that stage,
Nathan: it's consistent effort. God gave me a jumpstart in the story. I just gave you.
James: Okay.
Nathan: And then I kept acting out and then my sensitivity to his love went back down.
James: Okay.
Nathan: But I knew it was there. I could remember what it felt like. Okay.
James: And
Nathan: so I kept looking for it.
James: Looking for it. What does that mean? For somebody who's trying , what does that mean? What do I do? How do I look for it?
Nathan: Honestly, I think that event just convinced me that I was worthy of it. Somehow. I didn't know how, but I finally believed that I was worthy of God's love.
James: Okay.
Nathan: And then, that allowed me to open myself up a little bit more. And regular, everyday occurrences could be testaments to me of God's love for me. Of people at church saying hi, and somebody checking in and saying, how have you been? All these things that, in the past, would validate my sense of worth in a lustful way, now they're These people are angels sent from God checking in on me, and that is how he's showing me he loves me. And then, once I got some more of that Went to boot camp, learned that I can go out into the woods and kneel down and pray and seek him for myself.
James: Yeah.
Nathan: And now that I believe that he can love me, I will ask him directly, do you love me?
James: Mm hmm.
Nathan: Okay, well I did this. Do you still love me? Oh, well, okay, that wasn't bad. Let me tell you about this bad thing I did. Do you still love me? Yes, I do. Oh, so seeking for it, asking for it every day. I got into the habit a couple years ago every time I, every time my eyes were drawn to the female figure out and about, I would say, God, whatever she thinks about me is great. What do you think about me?
Sam: Wow.
Nathan: Love that. . It's powerful.
Sam: Yeah, that is powerful. I'm hearing this beautiful contrast this is what my world was like. The ashes of, all the things I endured when I was younger the, the self hatred, the shame or perceived shame in a lot of ways the feeling that they must hate me. I must not be worthy. And then you have one experience where you suddenly started to feel like, you know what? I am worthy.
Nathan: Yeah.
Sam: And it's like our perspective of the world is a reflection of how we see ourselves. Right. And I love that quote because I'm seeing that. Suddenly everything shifted and God showed you who you were and everything started to change. How do you see your perspective shift? Throughout the course of your recovery
Nathan: There's always something new. Where I think, Oh, if I could have known that a year ago, and then I think, well, no, this came exactly when it needed to. So God always has more for me to learn and love about myself.
James: So as you have gone on this journey with God and are working to learn about him, who he is, what he's like. Who is God to you now?
Nathan: He's my daddy. He loves me. He is incredibly proud of me. He's interested in what I'm interested in. He's interested in the project car I'm working in. He's interested in my marriage. He's interested in the people I talk to at church. He recognizes that I'm not perfect. He doesn't expect me to be perfect.
Sam: But what if you did act out? , That's
Nathan: fine.
Sam: Exactly.
Nathan: I'm, by his grace, I'm sober. I wasn't sober forever. I was sober for 11 months and then the emotions got the better of me and I masturbated and it sucked. It was hard. And then less than an hour later, I knew once again, how much God loved me.
Sam: Hmm.
Nathan: So who is God? He's everything. He's, yeah, I guess I'll just leave it. He's my dad.
Sam: It's really beautiful that the ways that God could have us speak of him, he chooses the word father.
James: Yeah.
Sam: What does it feel like to be fathered by God in a process where you're failing? and relapsing or having setbacks.
Nathan: I love the phrase fathered by God. It feels so warm. It feels like I'm looking at the kid next door's dad, who I think is the perfect dad. Like, oh man, my dad doesn't do that to me. But, This dad does, and I really don't mean to bash on my father or my stepdad because my higher power fathered me through both of them. And I've learned a lot about being a man from both of them in different ways. But being fathered by God feels like being loved by 40 different men in my life.
Sam: You started to experience worthiness and love and being fathered by God. Since you learned those truths and started to have some shift in your behavior and your thinking what has that led to and what do things look like for you right now in your life?
Nathan: It's led to A lot of step 12 work, which is carry the message of recovery to other people. I've sponsored some men. There are so many men out there I need to get to them because Samuel got to me. And if there's just one person out there, I can say , Oh, hey, yeah, I watch pornography and masturbate and to blow his mind and say, you can talk about that, that, that would be, that's what I want to be doing. So that's where I'm at with my recovery. I feel like, and there's always more to learn. I'm in a really difficult spot with some, with like re contextualizing my role in my marriage and the role of recovery in marriage. Where I'm at at the moment is, is just getting it out to other people because it's such a taboo topic like People can say like, oh, yeah, I drink too much of the bar on weekends And I'm kind of ashamed of that but it's a lot Rarer, I feel like to hear people say Yeah, I watch porn after my wife goes to bed,
James: If you were to Talk about late later stages of recovery then what have been maybe one or two key pieces that you've been picking up lately that have Just been really important or impactful for you Because you have some sobriety behind you now,
Nathan: yes Expecting other people to be accountable for themselves. I spent a lot of time the first few people I sponsored god bless them. I was like Oh, I will recover for you. Your recovery will be a measure of my faith. So that was unfulfilling for both parties. So just learning that this is my God and he's also your God and he will work with you all on your own time. And in his own terms, and I don't have to do that for anybody. I can be his mouthpiece for those who are willing to listen, but it's also not a measure of my worth,
James: that's a good insight to have.
Sam: How long have you been sober?
Nathan: November 2nd, 2024. So about a year and two months.
Sam: I love what you just said about the measure of your worth. The way you got sober, was that you stopped equating the measure of your worth to sobriety. You stopped equating the measure of your worth to your behavior. You stopped equating the measure of your worth to how many women were lusting after you
Nathan: yeah.
Sam: It's funny cause, , you think that's not how it works, but it's actually that you learn that you're worthy in the process.
Nathan: Yes.
Sam: And that's the thing. That helps you to overcome it.
Nathan: There's some give and take. I didn't learn the one big truth that God loves me right at the beginning. I learned to stop doing harmful behaviors and learn to start doing some good things. And then that truth just kind of snuck in there.
Sam: So you're saying it's a process.
Nathan: It's a process. Yeah.
Sam: What are some special nuggets, some golden nuggets that you have? Ah, man. If you could sit down with someone who's really in the thick of it, and they just needed some spark notes about what recovery is actually going to be like.
Nathan: Self compassion is huge. If I was sitting down with somebody and they're in the thick of it, I'm masturbating every day or a few times a week, then I would tell them that's okay. You can get better. And that's okay. hatred and low self esteem take a lot of work to turn around, but they can definitely be turned around. It's so much easier to recover when I'm being compassionate about myself. When I have a relapse than when I'm blaming myself. So that's a big one.
Sam: What was the hardest thing sexually to overcome with self compassion? I'd imagine there were some things that you just really had a hard time letting go of.
Nathan: I had one event that really let me know this is serious. I went over to a young woman's house when I was 19 or 20 and that night got a call from a police officer with a rape accusation. That was also the first time I had talked to my mom about anything since I was 14 because I was terrified. I was like, Mom, I was invited over and now I have a rape accusation. And what do I do? That was really scary, but just saying those words out loud that I had sex, I did the thing that your church and my church says not to do. That was really hard because I've never been able to contact that individual again. So I don't know the story at all. . But I don't know why I got the rape accusation when I thought I was being invited over and I don't know if I will know why in this life forgiving myself for putting myself in that position that's been hard.
. Sam: What's the song, if you had to pick one, That is recovery for you?
Nathan: There's an artist that goes by the name of Holy and he has a song called Jesus Saves. The last few lines of the song are, I know he has the power to save you because out of all people he saved me. He saved me from drugs, he saved me from clubs, from hatred, from Satan, from pride, from dying, from porn, and from hoeing. And, yeah, he's saved me too.
Sam: Love it. Nathan, thanks for being on here, man. You're a rock star.
Nathan: Thanks for having me.
Sam: Thanks for watching Unashamed Unafraid. Subscribe to our YouTube channel, You can find us on social media at Unashamed Unafraid. Get access to our bonus content and become an outsider on unashamedunafraid. com. If this was helpful to you, it'll probably be helpful to someone else. So take a minute right now and share this. Thanks again for watching and until next time, continue to live unashamed. Here is Jesus saves.
Speaker: K. O. shot your ass. Turn me up in the headphones. Young K on the track. I'm trying to reach for the stars. I know I'm a star. You can be whoever you wanna be. Just go with your heart. I was close to quitting on myself. But God gave me a spark. His Holy Spirit got me glowing for real. I'm a light in the dark. Yes Lord. This ain't for the church, this for the streets This for the humble, this for the meek This for the single mothers with no peace This for them young brothers pushin pieces It's a way out, you just gotta have faith God will never put too much on your plate Man I read my Bible but I pray e'ry day So I know that I'm covered by grace They can't block my blessings, back then I was on the corner beggin God took me in when I was sloppy seconds Got this real and it ain't no second guessin Trust me, I was headed for the grave I was blinded by the fame, I was a slave You don't put your faith in Jesus, boy you brave Man I tried to Let the world know Jesus saves, cause he saved me, from drugs, what else, from clubs, what else, from pride, what else, from dying, what else, from satan, what else, from hatred, what else, from porn, what else, from hoein', for real, he ain't nothing like Cain but he able, ain't nothing but his grace that unstable, you can't tell me about nothing I know I'm favored, I ain't used to all this love, I'm used to haters, cause satan got the world backwards, got the world full of demon bastards, got us lost, got us all in shackles He a snake, he a pterodactyl Can't believe you tried to play me, dawg I want nothin but a baby, dawg See, I know about your naive, that stank lil girl Biting heads off of baby dolls Lucifer, you a big hater I wanna be your pump faker Stage dancing, you a rump shaker Headshots, I'm throwing haymakers I'm trying to tell him Jesus saves, He's the one helped me change my ways, It's gonna get hard but keep your faith, And when you talk to God just keep it straight, Gabbana out here giving game for free, Gabbana out here praising G O D, I know he got the power to save you, Cause out of all people he saved me. From drugs, what else? From clubs, what else? From pride, what else? From dying, what else? From Satan, what else? From hatred, what else? From porn, what else? From hoein', for real I serve a big God I know he got the power to save you Cause out of all the people he saved me, for real And Gobana