A few of the topics we cover this episode:
- 5 yo power struggles, quick to anger + snap at parent
- Kid like a volcano
- 9 yo boy screams in parent's face
- Parents feeling triggered by kids' anger
- Why all feelings are valuable + how to support kids in the moment
- Kid spitting, hurting parent when asked to do something
- The value of kids' resistance
- Why attention-seeking is connection-seeking
- The CONTROL toolbox we don't need
- 4yo melting down for 40+ minutes
- Kid refusing to talk about their feelings
- Baby + kid nervous systems + why to pay attention to them
- Unsafe play + how to support without "that's not safe!"
- The power of the "Circle Back"
- 4 yo melting down - consequences?
Tune in and connect on our LIVE Q&As, every Tuesday AND Thursday at 5PM PST on Instagram. Catch up on past LIVE session on our IGTV tab. As always, we laugh, we cry, we lean in… join us!
- Our Freedoms Model
- Our RESIST Approach
- Our Shop - GUIDES + PRINTS!
- Our Resources Page
- Our Coaching page
- Amber Okamura, Upbringing’s Artist
- Mary Schroeder, Upbringing’s Letterer
- Alex Olavarria, our producer, musician, editor + husband/brother in law
Contact us! We want to hear your thoughts. We care deeply about what you think and how you’re doin’, so get in touch -- we’re better together.
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow Upbringing on Instagram: @upbringing.co
Join us to explore topics such as: parenting, motherhood, discipline, resistance, RIE parenting, feminist parenting, toddlers, tantrums, potty training, mindful parenting, conscious parenting, evidence-based parenting, positive parenting, respectful parenting, simplicity parenting and positive discipline.
What is Upbringing?
Welcome to Upbringing. We’re Hannah and Kelty - twins, mothers and works-in-progress. Upbringing is a movement that empowers parents to grow up alongside their kids for sanity and social change. Through this podcast, speaking and coaching, we focus on our personal work as parents- the awareness, mindset and approach needed to raise amazing kids while ALSO getting shit done.
Join us to radically redefine kids’ resistance as a magical opportunity to nurture skills and values like consent, non-violent communication, emotional intelligence, body positivity, independence and beyond. We do this by practicing powers beyond control — respectful, evidence-based tools that protect our kids’ personal freedoms, support their skill-building and better align with how we roll as people.
To us, this is the practice of parenting. When we can lean in and approach the hardest moments with our kids as an invitation to grow up ourselves, we all win. When we work to examine our triggers, face our fears and question our beliefs, we are bravely working against years of unconscious cultural conditioning. And when we work to rewrite those inherited legacies that don’t serve anyone... our kids are free, and so are we.
We’re going to make mistakes as parents. LOTS of them. And that’s ok- because our growth depends on it. We are right here with you, taking steps to better understand ourselves, our kids, and one another - one conversation at a time. Because when we can choose trust over fear, connection over control and progress over perfection, we’re not just raising our kids, we’re raising ourselves. Let’s show up and grow up!