Gav: The Podcast on Haunted Hill will contain spoilers and swearing.
Dan: I am the devil, and I am here to do the devil's work. I saw this when I come.
Gav: Hello, and welcome to The Podcast on Haunted Hill, episode 166666, like the sound of the devil.
Dan: You said 666, you did it, the new three sixes, not a boy?
Gav: Just realized, I just put my hands on my new desk, and I just realized the padding's not here, which I always rest on before. I used to use a padding what you get for boilers, which a plumber would use for like hot pipes. You put the insulation foam around it, you put it on the side of your desk, works lovely as a little hand rest. And it's not on my new desk, because ladies and gentlemen, I've actually moved. Oh, my name's Gav.
Dan: This isn't a podcast about household tips. My name's Dan.
Gav: And if this is your first, if you're...
Dan: Here we go. If you're a regular listener, welcome back.
Gav: And if this is your first time, welcome from...
Dan: And to everyone else, you're welcome around the side. 166. We'll get into your move in a minute, Gav. Apologies, everyone, part of the reason for the delay, because this is our belated Halloween episode.
Gav: Yeah, sorry. But we all do love Halloween.
Dan: We still love Halloween. We still do.
Gav: For a year. So we're just having a little bit of a memory back to Halloween, because it feels like a million years ago. Yeah.
Dan: We thank you all very much for your patience. We also thank you all for blowing up our Facebook page during the month of October, with all of you watching and listening to it. It's amazing.
Gav: It's a pretty good episode. Did get a little mix out of the patrons, a little DJ mix of some stuff.
Dan: Yeah, a little DJ mix went out. For this episode, not only are we celebrating Halloween late and basically catching up, but also we are following on tradition for the last three years, because we did the first Freddy movie separately and we did the first Halloween movie separately. And then one year we said, let's smash them up for Halloween. So we did Halloween 2 and Freddy 2. Then we did three. Last year we did four. So you've guessed it, everyone. This year we're doing A Nightmare On Elm Street 5, The Dream Child, and Halloween 5, The Revenge Of Michael Myers, both from 1989. Those franchises tend to have the same years, which is odd, but yeah, so that's what we're covering.
Gav: Almost like in competition, which kind of they all were Friday the 13th as well, in a sense.
Dan: Yeah, although Fridays, we're almost putting them out yearly, weren't they? It was almost an annual one having them, but that's what we're covering.
Gav: Arguably stronger series.
Dan: Yes, indeed.
Gav: But that's because they don't really dive far away from what they knew. They carried on doing what they already knew. The formula was there, and it's just like you hash this. People like it.
Dan: Just put a man in the woods, in a mask, hacking people up.
Gav: A group of kids, cabin.
Dan: That's what you need.
Gav: Apart from when he goes to space, because we didn't know how else to do.
Dan: But come on, everyone goes to space. Leprechaun went to space.
Gav: Well, Machete was supposed to go to space, but I don't think number two did well enough.
Dan: Pinhead went to space, you know, it's happened. Fast and the Furious franchise went into space at one point.
Gav: Pinhead went to space? What was he doing up there?
Dan: Yeah, one of the Hell Rays took very bad. Yeah, but one of the bad Hell Rays movies.
Gav: So where is Hell in the universe, then?
Dan: I don't know, somebody must have had that box. I can't remember, because it's been years since I've seen that one. But there was one where he was in space. It's like, come on. But like I say, Ludacris was in space. Fast and the Furious, one of the movies there. The car flew up, went into space.
Gav: I did see Hellraiser fairly recently ago, but for the podcast listeners, ladies and gentlemen, guys, ghouls, non-genders, aliens, spooks, werewolves, yetis.
Dan: The undead.
Gav: Everything. So I actually did watch with Sarah. We did a flashback, showcased a flashback to Hellraiser. And we went and watched Hellraiser. And I've seen it twice now. That would be my second time then watching it on the big screen. And I really enjoyed watching it again. And I really appreciated the artistry and the editing, actually, in the way it's been set up. Like the bit when they're trying to take the bed upstairs and he's going upstairs and that's being into juxtaposition with, just like the Angela, is it Angela?
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: Having sex with Frank and then both, uh, uh, and then just as he gets the nail and blood comes out, they come and it's just like editing back and forwards. And I was like, that's so good.
Dan: It's one of those classics that we have yet to cover on the show in 10 News.
Gav: Wow.
Dan: But it is one that we are covering at some point soon, don't you worry.
Gav: Okay, cool. Well, when we do, I could probably get a little bit of an opener for the old teeth chatterer.
Dan: Oh, so let's get into it. So yeah, happy belated Halloween to you all. We will be covering off our watches and you, sir. And for you, for me.
Gav: Thank you, dear sir. You, sir. And me, sir.
Dan: And I don't know what's happening right now.
Gav: I'm happy. I mean, oh, God, it's gone again. Sorry, isn't it?
Dan: Gav's back's gone out.
Gav: No, it's my new set up. This is good. That's a good time already. So I moved. So the reason we were late and delayed getting an episode out was because I had to. Well, with a couple of reasons, we had a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes and I had a lot of stuff is in. I had to move and then I didn't have the internet for like four weeks and it was just like, well, I can't podcast. Yes. So that was the reason.
Dan: But anyway, and you also went on holiday, which is lovely. It was a bit of a triple threat for you, wasn't it? Because you moved. We hoped we would be able to record.
Gav: I was quite stressed as well.
Dan: You were stressed and it was probably best that we didn't. But then you didn't have the internet for about three weeks on top of that. And then you went on your holiday. It was almost like, you know what? Take your holiday. Chill out.
Gav: We had no internet and they all moved into my place and I didn't have remote control for the DVD player and I only had a bag for the DVDs, which I had leftover hanging around at the flat because all my shit's in storage. So I had the in-betweeners on just putting on the DVD player and press play. I didn't have remote control, so I just had to hope for the best. I don't have TV because I don't pay for TV lots and so I had no internet, no nothing.
Dan: Nothing?
Gav: Nothing. Anyway, that spring sound a minute ago wasn't my back puller now. I've got a new proper set up. Sounding shit obviously, but I've got a new set up which is like a new desk and everything, a new very fast internet, which is very good, very quiet room. I've got one of those proper microphones, so I've got a proper mic on me, everything rather than before, not being comfortable sometimes leaning forward. Now I don't have to. Anyway, that's me.
Dan: That's the delay.
Gav: I love the fact when you move, you go, right, I don't need this, don't need this, like two days before you move, you just go to this random shit. I throw away, throw away, throw away, I don't need it. Move in, a week after moving in, fuck, I'm going to go and buy that thing that I threw away literally seven days ago.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: Oh, for God's sake. Losing shit. How do you lose stuff?
Dan: The joys of moving.
Gav: Yeah, stuff a lot. And then like just stuff.
Dan: Stuff.
Gav: Yeah, I got really small flats, really small. But it's all right, though. I need to get. I was going to watch Plansky, or I know black listed word there. I was going to watch The Tenant. Remember The Tenant, Plansky? Yeah, just because I feel a bit like that now. I'm in a block with a load of different people, that sort of thing. But we'll see how it goes. It seems very, very quiet at the moment. So no complaints.
Dan: Well, there we go, guys, that's what happened. It's not the longest hiatus we've had. It's been about a month, but we're back. We might get back on track in time for Christmas. We can jiggle the schedule around. We'll cover that in the outro.
Gav: And do you know what? Another thing, living here and not living out in the fucking sticks anymore, where I only had one shop which is below me, which is great, but it's shut at nine o'clock. And I had to listen to that fucking co-op music over and over and over and over. Oh my god. I actually have now, walking distance, I have multiple different restaurants, takeouts, everything. Like Stone's Throat, so I can bring...
Dan: I'm very pleased and I can't wait to come in and christen it with you. I mean, come in, come in.
Gav: My belly has been very pleased. It's shown its pleasedness by getting larger. I went... Fucking here we go, there's another segue. I had a Freddy Krueger jumper, because I was doing a music video which should be coming out soon, with someone dressed as Freddy Krueger. So I had a costume. I went to DJ at a Halloween party in a pub in an old town I used to live in, because I live in a different town now. I was just going downstairs with my DJ gear and I was like, this is a Freddy Krueger jumper, because I normally wear dark clothes, which hides things like fat. And I was like, what's up with this jumper? It's well creased. And I went to actually karate chop the crease to first slim it down. And it was my belly.
Dan: Oh, no. Well, you can have a belly. We're not fat shaming here. You know, I've got a dad bod. Yeah. I always tell my wife, I've got the body of a god, and that god is Buddha.
Gav: Yeah. I've just been eating lots. I think it might be a colder thing. It is getting colder now.
Dan: Me and my wife have been saying this. We eat a lot more when it's this type of weather. It is colder at the moment here now in the UK. We've had a lot of snow. We've had two days of snow where I live.
Gav: A little bit in the munch. I've had a DVD for ages sitting around that I haven't seen before called Snow Day with Chevy Chase. And I've never seen it. I was like, fucking hell, if it snows anymore, I'm staying in and I'm watching Snow Day. So I'm waiting.
Dan: That sounds awful, but I also want to see it.
Gav: It'd be so bad.
Dan: But I want to see it at the same time.
Gav: Of course.
Dan: Well, cast your minds back, everybody, to Halloween. And we'll tell you how our Halloweens went. And then we'll tell you what we watched.
Gav: Let's wind the plants back to Halloween.
Dan: Rewind. So yes, Gav, Halloween was fun. You go first. Tell me what you did. Trick or treat. You've already said you butted the party, you DJed out.
Gav: I DJed out a Halloween party, which was cool because loads of people dressed up, as you would. Mainly women. Women seem to be the ones that dress up. Blokes kind of put a bit of an effort on. If it's down the pub, it's a bit of an effort, but the ladies love it. And which was great because they were up for dancing. So I managed to pull a few ladies in and get them dancing. And then when the women are dancing, the men seem to just go, they're wandering with their points back and forwards with their mates just going, looking at the women. Like zombies. Yeah, pretty much. But they all start dancing. And then I was just banging out loads of fucking great tunes. My Johnny came down and I kind of used him like African Babart, not in that sense, but like African Babart with Jazzy J. And he would, African Babart would stand then to say, do this, do that. I kind of switched it. Drunk people would come up to me and say, excuse me. And because they want a request. And I just pointed at Johnny. Johnny was just standing there behind the desk going, just happily chats away to them. And then they forget what they're on about and I just carry on DJing, it's brilliant. But it was good. I finished on Killing The Name Of, which was fucking great.
Dan: Did you play Ghostbusters?
Gav: Fuck yeah.
Dan: Did you play Monster Mash?
Gav: Yep.
Dan: And did you play Thriller?
Gav: Yes, I did. It was the first time playing Michael Jackson in a very, very long time.
Dan: Well, you ticked all my boxes there, even Thriller.
Gav: It went really well. I played loads of shit. I even went at one point, went into like a lot of house music. I did rock. I did metal. I did hip hop. Yeah, loads of shit. It was good. Anyway, so I dressed as Freddie for that. I had a Freddie costume. Went out with the kids, actually with the Freddie costume on, just the hat, the glove and the jumper, because it does the job, because I wear glasses. It's really shipping mask. You just can't do it, you know. Went out with the kids, Trick or Treat, and that's good. Then watched Trick or Treat with Charlie, who then fell asleep as soon as it finished and was actually falling asleep for it. And then I went home and I came back here and I watched. I watched. Oh, it's so nice to watch it again. Since we covered it, I hadn't seen it. And I watched Young Frankenstein. Yes, I so, so enjoyed watching it. It's such a pleasant, innocent, pleaser.
Dan: It's cozy, isn't it?
Gav: It's very, very, very cozy. I was super happy just sitting and watching it like a cup of tea and this is lovely.
Dan: You know, it's so funny as well.
Gav: And it's great. Yeah.
Dan: What knackers.
Gav: What did you do?
Dan: So the kids were at nursery, but we picked them up. I picked them up early because they've been hyped all month for it because it's coincided with Jack's potty training. Edith's been potty trained for a few months. So every day he has a dry day at nursery. The incentive is he gets a Halloween tattoo. Not a real one, I might add. Listeners.
Gav: Come on. So what? One year he gets a Rob Zombie Halloween tattoo.
Dan: So every day he's had a tattoo. So have I and so is Edith. So and they don't really wash off for weeks and weeks. So Jack's still covered in tattoos. I had a sleeve on the arm I don't have a sleeve on. Jack's got a sleeve. His tummy's still covered in like trees.
Gav: He's done his forehead and shit.
Dan: Yeah. Well, I'm glad I didn't because they don't really tend to wash off very much.
Gav: That's why.
Dan: So they've been getting hyped all month for it. And on the day of it, I made the decision that they are too young to take out really because bedtime is still a bit dodgy, you didn't know. So in the end, Jack dressed up in his werewolf costume. Edith dressed up in a pink angel costume she's got. And she told everyone she was a garden angel. So that's fine. I think she meant garden fairy, but that's cool. And I just wore my Halloween, my John Carpenter Halloween t-shirt. And we spent about 90 minutes answering the door and Jack and Edith were so brave.
Gav: That's what I was going to say. You enjoy this now because I haven't been able to stay in and have people come do that for years and years and years. Because I've got kids of multiple ages. So since Charlie would have started. Before that, obviously, people would come around. So I missed that. It's in the home of a movie on them. People then open the door, give them chocolate. I want to do that. So I'm looking forward to doing that again. But for years and years, Halloween time, I'm out with the kids.
Dan: We watched, I can't remember what the kids put on now, some Halloween type cartoon. But yeah, so they didn't want to leave the door. So we had to stay in the hallway, because they couldn't wait for the next person to knock on the door. And it was like loads of kids dressed up as cats and pirates and zombies and Harry Potter. So they absolutely loved it. And they were so good at giving out like one bag of sweets to each child. And they make sure everybody, they've really, really enjoyed it. And they cried when they had to go to bed because they didn't want it to be over.
Gav: And a bit overwhelming for them, I'm sure.
Dan: Yeah, but they really enjoyed it. So that was what we did really. And then I watched my last two films, which I'll get to when we cover our lists. I went to bed.
Gav: I reckon I got three years left. And I'll be at home. I'm looking forward to like being out of...
Dan: Jesus, I thought you were revealing something then. Three years left and I'm dead.
Gav: I'm looking forward to being with Sarah and sitting there and going away and opening up the door and stuff. Because she does that. And I've never spent one Halloween with Sarah because I'm always trick-or-treating.
Dan: Yeah, I really enjoyed it this year. Really enjoyed it. And I think I will again next year. And probably next year will be the first year we go out and knock on a few doors with them.
Gav: Yeah, I did. I did. I managed my 31. I did over 31, to be honest. But I only counted 31. I could have counted a couple more, but I'm weird. I have to stick with the exact number because I'm, I think, probably autistic. I was about to say authentic.
Dan: I'm authentic.
Gav: It's wrong word.
Dan: I'm artistic.
Gav: Artistic.
Dan: I'm autistic.
Gav: I'm autistically, authentically an artist.
Dan: Well, I went above and beyond this year. Do you want me to go first with Three Mind very quickly? Or do you want to do yours?
Gav: Are you doing 31 or you?
Dan: Well, I ended up doing 90.
Gav: I was going to say choose like your best 31, but that might be quite hard.
Dan: I think it was 90 I did in the end.
Gav: You can't say that.
Dan: I'm not going to do that. For anyone who didn't hear, my main thing this year was going to be the old Universal's horror movies from the 30s and 40s and into the early 50s, which I did. I started with Dracula, 1931's Dracula. I did all the classics and all their sequels. I did pretty much every single one. In fact, I did 37 of the old Universal horror movies. That was great. A lot of them I hadn't seen. A lot of the sequels to some of the Invisible Man. There's like five sequels and some of them were good. Some of them weren't, as you can imagine. I did all the creature movies. I did the Abba Costello movies, which I'd never seen, because I've only ever seen Meets Frankenstein, which we covered, but I also watched The Invisible Man and I watched Meet The Mummy as well. So that was great. Just a very quick tangent, my top Universal horror movies are The Invisible Man, the original Invisible Man, Island Of Lost Souls, Frankenstein and Bride Of Frankenstein. Those, to me, are just the top dogs when it comes to the old Universal horror movies. I also got inspired watching them to go slightly off chart and watch stuff that was inspired by Universal. So I watched Monster Squad, which obviously is heavily inspired by that. I watched The Mummy from 1999, which I'm a huge fan of with Brendan Fraser. I also then watched the second Mummy movie with him and the third Mummy with him because I do like those movies. They're good, fun, blockbuster, special effects movies, and the effects perhaps don't hold up as well. And then before I get into the other big thing I did, I then was getting towards the end of October and I plowed through them all. So I then did some favorites. I did Van Helsing, which is technically a Universal horror film. I did The Last Voyage Of The Demeter.
Gav: Yeah. Do you like it?
Dan: Really, really, really, really enjoyed that.
Gav: Yeah. It's a fun one. For me, isolation, boat shit.
Dan: It was like alien. It really was like alien on a boat 150 years ago. And obviously we know that everybody on that boat is going to get killed. Yeah. The scene with the boy, the little boy. I was thinking, oh, hang on a minute, he's going to die because everyone on this boat is going to die. And I was really invested in it and some of the characters and especially the doctor. I really liked the doctor. So really enjoyed that.
Gav: I also very, very, very quickly. Speaking of boats, something I really enjoyed watching, you know, Jurassic Park Camp Cretaceous, it's kind of a young adult type animation thing.
Dan: CGI animations on Netflix for anyone that wants to watch it. My kids love it. I've watched it.
Gav: Really good. The newer versions, which is called something else, is the kids when they're grown up, there's two seasons of it. Have you seen that one?
Dan: Not yet.
Gav: Really good. Really, really good. There's one, I think it's the first episode possibly of season two. It's on a boat with the dinosaurs and they're hiding away and there's a massive thunderstorm and a dinosaur gets out. So most of the episode is them trying to get around the boat with pouring rain on them, with a dinosaur kind of hunting them down. It's so good. I was so impressed with this. And I've tried, I said to Cesar, he said, yeah, okay, whatever. And he's like, no, this is really good shit. It's like the animation's great. The sound effects are proper spot on. Yeah, it's really, really good. Anyway, that's what I just meant to say, because you reminded me of it.
Dan: It's really good. And then I watched a few of my other favorites, like Hubie Halloween, Halloween 3 season of The Witch. I was chatting to somebody, our buddy, our J. McCready, and he inspired me to actually go back and revisit Pumpkin Head. So I watched that too. And then my final watches on Halloween day were Monster Squad in the day, then Trick or Treat once the kids were asleep. Then I was up, I was awake. So I figured out, you know what, Gav, 1978 Halloween is going on. So I finished up on that. But a big chunk of my, and you'll be very excited about this, a big chunk of my watches out of the 90 were The Simpsons Treehouse Of Horror episodes, which I'd never seen.
Gav: And it influenced me to go through all of them as well. So I was piggybacking on Arty.
Dan: And they were fucking brilliant.
Gav: I really enjoyed going back to the early ones.
Dan: One of my favorite things about October was watching those.
Gav: Yeah, I enjoyed them. As they go on, they're kind of like, yeah, the original ones are so funny.
Dan: Up to about 15, they're inspired. Then they kind of dip in quality for about 10 years. Then I feel like they've got better. And then I also watched the spinoffs, like the Thanksgiving Of Horror episode.
Gav: It's episode.
Dan: The It episode. Which is my name. And they've also, there's an entire episode, which is not a tree house called The Halloween Of Horror, where they're scared of their decorations in the house. And then, because Disney Plus likes to play tricks on me, they released the new season of The Simpsons on the 1st of November. So on the 1st of November, I got to watch the newest one.
Gav: It wasn't very good.
Dan: It was all right. But yeah, I really, really enjoyed that. And it's one I'll go back to, probably not every year, but certainly, I mentioned perhaps next year, I will go back and watch them all again, because I can see now.
Gav: You've only seen them once. You'll forget loads of gags. And actually, you'll find new gags all the time watching The Simpsons.
Dan: And the amount of blood that they get away with is insane. And the jokes, it's all very funny. And it's brilliant stuff. But yeah, so I had an absolute ball. 90 is probably my personal best, but obviously you've got to bear in mind that about 40 of those were 22-minute Simpsons episodes.
Gav: So yeah, and I didn't...
Dan: The commercials are all one hour long, a lot of them.
Gav: Yeah, because I watched all The Simpsons, I didn't count them. I'll go for my 31, which I haven't actually counted. I won't linger too long. Taste the Blood Of Dracula. I did end up doing quite a lot of Dracula originally. Hell House 4, which is all right.
Dan: It's not too bad. And I hear there's a fifth one.
Gav: I think they're just shooting at the moment. Interesting. Boys From County Hell for the last episode. Blair Witch Project again. Really enjoyed watching that again. It's only really without credits. It's only an hour and 11 minutes.
Dan: Great film.
Gav: Absolutely fantastic. And it's just because I've been balls deep in found footage, really, because I'm just finishing up Amanda, which has come along really well.
Dan: Such a great phrase, balls deep, isn't it?
Gav: Yes. It's come along really well. So I've just been watching like The Grandaddy and some other found footage stuff just to keep me in the loop. I watched Extraordinary. I did Kill List again, which is really fun. I really, you know, I find Kill List kind of fun. I really enjoy that movie. I watched Paranorman with the kids. That was kind of fun. Well, we tried to watch it. Elijah went to have it. He said, No, I'm not watching it. Whatever. Just go do Roblox as normal. Fucking VHS Beyond, the latest one. Any good? There's a couple of bits. All right. It's like a cop one stuff. There's a couple of bits. OK.
Dan: Hit or miss?
Gav: Yeah, I don't know. VHS Dracula's risen from the grave. I had it on VHS when I was a teenager, but I never really as a teenager really kind of appreciated so much Hammer horror films because I was jumping on all the new shit which is starting to come out or just jumping on stuff like, say, Fright Night and even that wasn't really new. When I was a teenager, I was like 10 years behind me. I was 10 years in front of that. It was still a bit more modern than the Hammer movies. So I kind of watched it and I said, shit, I've never really seen it apart from maybe a couple of times on VHS.
Dan: Really enjoyed. Gav and I have a suggestion to anyone who's listening from Hammer Studios.
Gav: Oh, yeah.
Dan: Get a fucking channel on like Shudder. Get a channel on Prime.
Gav: Make a channel on App, which is a Hammer channel. How many people would subscribe to that?
Dan: I will pay 4.99 a month to have access to all the Hammer films.
Gav: They already own. It's just like, just put them out. I would pay for a subscription. So at night time, I could go to sleep watching a Hammer movie.
Dan: And the same could be said for the Universal movies, but that's probably different because it's tied up in Universal Studios. But the Hammer movies, that's their own studio. They could do it.
Gav: It's because you can. They're all over the shop Hammer movies. You can find Twins Of Evil and some other bits and bobs, Circus Of Horrors and sort of vampire circles, whatever it's called. So random stuff like that here and there. And then you might find on Prime, there might be a couple of Frankensteins with Peter Cushion and then it's just all over the place. Yeah, it's hard to track them down. And quality changes. So I don't know why they don't do that. I watched Identity, which is kind of a dark thriller. I don't know if it's class or really horror, but there's a lot of horror elements in it for sure. I really enjoyed that film. Even though you know the ending, it's still fun. Ghost Adventures, fancied watching that.
Dan: Yeah, that's a good movie.
Gav: Yeah, it's not bad. Curse Of Frankenstein.
Dan: Oh, is that the one where with the rape scene?
Gav: Yeah. Yeah, it's quite full on that. It's the most dark, unhappy hammer movie I think I've seen.
Dan: Peter Cushing was not into doing a rape scene, as you can imagine.
Gav: It was just really unfun.
Dan: Him and the actress both had a meeting with the head of the studio and said they don't want to do this and they pushed them into doing it.
Gav: I think they doled it down as well, like it was going to be worse. Destroy All Neighbours.
Dan: Yeah, I really want to see this. Any good?
Gav: I can't even think what that is right now. I literally just wrote it on Reddit and went, what the fuck is Destroy All Neighbours? What is that?
Dan: It's like a zombie comedy. It's supposed to be very good. It's supposed to be fun. But I've not really heard much about it online.
Gav: Jesus Christ. My life's changed so much since then. Where is it on Netflix?
Dan: I don't know. No, it's not on Netflix.
Gav: Oh, oh, no, it's just Shudder. I had a Shudder subscription. I think, I don't know, I can't remember. Brilliant. Ash vs. Evil Dead, season one. Bang that out. I really enjoyed that.
Dan: Amazing. Yeah, it's good. I think the first season is probably the strongest out of the three seasons.
Gav: Scream 96. It's not called Scream 96, but I have to say that. The Borderlands, found footage. I not as I've always put out right out there of Play Witch and watching it this time, I was like, I bought it. It's very good.
Dan: She recommended it so much to me.
Gav: Charity Shop. Yeah, it is good, but it's not as good. Yeah, it's not as good as I thought it was for some reason.
Dan: Funny enough, it's right there, the top of my DVD pile. The next time I'm going to watch it again, just to give it a second watch.
Gav: I'll take it if you don't want to, but yeah. Maniac Cop. I fucking love Maniac Cop.
Dan: Great, great, great. Bruce Campbell.
Gav: We haven't done that, have we?
Dan: No, but we are going to be pairing it up with, I believe, I think Police Academy. Because it was going to be Wolf Cop, but Wolf Cop is really shit. I've watched it again recently and it's like, it's not great.
Gav: No, Wolf Cop, I know.
Dan: Maniac Cop and Police Academy.
Gav: Wolf Cop is such a frustrating film because the wolf looks amazing.
Dan: Transformation is good.
Gav: It's really, yeah, the film is just like, he's a cop. It's like, why didn't you just make it like a decent werewolf movie?
Dan: It's where the second one is worse though.
Gav: Oh, Hubie Halloween, Return Of The Living Dead, which I fucking loved watching again. I haven't seen that since I was a kid. Then I put a trailer on for Part 2 and I was like, this is bullshit, absolute bullshit. Another one we've never covered. That Return Of The Living Dead is such an almost genius film. I think it's probably not underestimated, but you don't hear about it that much.
Dan: Or you patrons out there anytime I say you haven't covered that one.
Gav: Return Of The Living Dead, if you like that, fucking we'll do that. I watched Nothing But Trouble, which is not technically a horror movie, but the premise is it's about a family out in the middle of nowhere, kind of got their own sort of town and they decide if people are going to be in a court, if they've made themselves, if people could be killed or let free, which is great.
Dan: It's kind of in the same vein as The Burbs in some ways.
Gav: And yeah, who's in it, Dan?
Dan: Dan Aykroyd and John Candy, I believe, as well.
Gav: John Candy. Yeah, John Candy. Yeah, he's a woman in it.
Dan: Yeah, that's right. It's a movie that we rented out when I was a kid and I...
Gav: Two Pack.
Dan: I... Is Two Pack in it?
Trailer: Two Pack's in it, yeah.
Dan: Oh my God.
Gav: He's a dancer.
Dan: Oh yeah, the rapper, yeah.
Gav: Because he's a dancing singer for Two Love Crew. Not Two Love Crew, Humpty Dumpty.
Dan: Yeah. Well, we rented that out when I was a kid and I remember not feeling very... feeling uneasy watching it.
Gav: Yeah, it was a weird one.
Dan: I don't think I've ever seen it since.
Gav: Watch it again. It's a real weird film. It's Demi Moore.
Dan: It's got quite a big cast in it.
Gav: Yeah, loads of money spent on it. It flopped really badly. But watch it again.
Dan: You'd have a John Candy and a two part in a movie together.
Gav: But it's such an odd movie. But watch it again. So I put it down as horror. I put it in my 31. Some people would be like, you can't do that.
Trailer: I did it.
Gav: Halloween 5, Halloween 79. After that, after watching Halloween 5, spoiler, I know about to review it. I was like, Alec Lentzer. 78, sorry.
Dan: I thought there was one I missed.
Gav: The original Halloween. I'm sorry. And then I did Houseman Nightmare Park, The House In Nightmare Park, which I fucking love that film. Fun. If no one knows that, it's very British. It's Frankie Howard, which is a British comedian, stand up performer known for carry on films and other bits and bobs.
Dan: And we covered it, didn't we?
Gav: Yeah, it's such a fun film. So I did that again. Ghost Ship.
Dan: Yeah, great.
Gav: Because I had nothing to watch, all my shit was in storage. When I was out and about and I was in a charity shop, I was like, fuck it, I watched it. And I was like, Ghost Ship, fine. I'll watch that when I get in because I can't watch anything else. Got Ghost Ship, really enjoying it. In fact, it's actually a gold heist. In the movies, a gold heist, but there's ghosts trying to stop them. But then all of a sudden, it goes really, really shit, like about 40, 50 minutes into it. In the ending, spoiler, the ghost basically got himself into the group early on. So, hey, I've found a ship. Basically, he, as a ghost, goes around every time he needs his ship being patched up as a ghost. He gets humans to do it, but he gets in there, right in there, pretends he's a human and says, I've no read his money, but we're going to patch up my ship while we look for the money. Then I'll kill you. That's the that's ghost ship. What the shit? How much cocaine was used when you came up with this idea?
Dan: It's cheap, it's trashy, but it's one that people remember.
Gav: It's not that cheap, though. If you look at the cast and the production and like the money, it's shot on ships and stuff. It would have cost quite a bit of money.
Dan: It was at around the same time as Final Destination, those sort of movies.
Gav: It was going really well, but I was like, hang on. They did this in the fog, pirates had gold, wanted their gold back. So I might as well just watch the fog. Which funny enough, I watched the fog. So that must have been why I did that. I did Race With The Devil, man.
Dan: That's great. We're covering that. We're pairing that up with them.
Gav: Trouble with Race With The Devil is absolutely preposterous. When you actually think about the fact that these four people witnessed one person being murdered and filled, basically a lot of resources, money, time, machinery, cars get smashed up, people get killed, chasing these guys. They're basically raiding the head of a town.
Dan: It's a bit manly.
Gav: It's so preposterous though, because it involves a massive mile radius, probably about 40-50 mile radius around them, because they don't know which way they're going to go. It's ridiculous. When you think about it, you're like, this is just-
Dan: You lent me that on DVD about 10-15 years ago.
Gav: It's a fun-
Dan: I absolutely loved it.
Gav: It's still a fun film.
Dan: The scene with the sacrifice is really dark.
Gav: You got to take your brain away from it though, because it's a bit ridiculous. Dracula, Prince Of Darkness, one of my faves. Paranormal Activity 2, I wanted one to watch, not one to watch, I wanted A1 to watch, so I watched two for a bit of sense. The Oddity, this is a really, really good Irish movie. Shudder, about a blind medium whose sister is murdered, and she thinks she knows who did it. Yeah, worth a watch, pretty creepy. Gonna recommend that, because that's called The Oddity. Original Hellraiser, like I said, and finished up on 31 with, like I said earlier, Trick or Treat.
Dan: Trick or, or Trick or?
Gav: Well, the recent one.
Dan: Yeah, Trick or Treat, yeah. Yeah, that was one of my, I watched that on my final day as well. It's one that I watch pretty much every year now, really. But there's two more I just very quickly want to mention. Haunt, from 2019, which is about people going to one of those scare houses, and then it turns into a bit of a jigsaw film, but really good. And another one which I really have been wanting to go back to, which is The Houses of Octoberville.
Gav: Yeah, I couldn't find anywhere to watch it.
Dan: Fucking terrifies me, Houses of Octoberville.
Gav: I was going to watch it, but I couldn't see it.
Dan: That's kind of up there with How House LLC for me, with regards to that kind of scare and realism and fine footage stuff.
Gav: Yeah, fair enough.
Dan: But it sounds like you had a blast. It's funny we both watched Trekker Tree and Halloween and Hubei Halloween so that we crossed over a couple of times.
Gav: Oh yeah, definitely. We do have similar tastes, but obviously sometimes we don't have similar tastes.
Dan: Yeah, and the thing is, you know me, I always set out a theme this year for me. It was the Universal Horror movies and The Simpsons.
Gav: I did go to cinema very recently, very quickly. I watched Heretic.
Dan: Yes, with Hugh Grant.
Gav: Yeah, which Hugh Grant's incredible. And he's really enjoying himself in his mature ages of being an actor. And the story in the film is really good to a certain point. And I can't spoil it with my opinion. But then it gets to a point where it's like, don't know if I'm going to watch this film again.
Dan: It's getting absolutely rave reviews online. And it's got a really high IMDB score of 7.2.
Gav: It's because at a certain point, his conviction and what he's going, I can't spoil it. What he's trying to achieve becomes redundant. And it's completely pointless. And it makes the film absolutely nonsense. It's such a shame. But to me, obviously, to my opinion, obviously. Well, yeah, of course, to me, because I'm the one saying it.
Dan: But I haven't seen it, so I can't say anything.
Gav: But it does though. I don't like love, love though, someone else too, who doesn't agree and disagrees with me. And it's like, oh, it's perfect. However, to discuss it with me and explain it to me. But I loved everything leading up to it. I loved the whole religion thing. I loved it. Really, really enjoyed it. I was looking forward to it so much, and I loved loads of it, and to a certain point.
Dan: Well, I definitely want to check it out, but I probably won't be able to get out to the cinema to watch it. Since Halloween.
Gav: It's like a magician with a misdirect, it felt like.
Dan: Since Halloween, I have watched a couple of, I'll quickly throw at you. I watched, I was having a bit of a down day with my mental health. Hold the hands up there. And I watched Weird with Daniel Radcliffe.
Gav: Do you ever jerk off if you're feeling sad?
Dan: No.
Gav: Give that a go.
Dan: Okay. Hang on a minute.
Gav: Oh, yeah, it works. That was quick.
Dan: Yeah. No, I watched Weird, the Al Jankovic story with Daniel Radcliffe and that put a big smile on my face.
Gav: I watched that while I was having my leg tattooed, which I have tried to take a picture of my leg for the group, to show everybody I've got a real evil dead leg. And I can't get a good one picture, so I've just given up.
Dan: You need to get Sarah to take a picture of it.
Gav: I think filming it would be better.
Dan: Because I couldn't get a picture of my sleeve, so I ended up getting two sides.
Gav: I've got a little small leg, so it curves quite easily, so it looks odd in a picture.
Dan: Anyway, I wanted to work on quickly, that I was really disappointed with the menu.
Gav: Very quickly, Weirdo Jankovic, while getting it tattooed, not that tattoos don't bother me that much anyway, I laughed all the way through it, I thought that movie was fucking ingenious.
Dan: I'll go back to that very quickly. Yeah, exactly. It was so good. I'm not even the biggest Weirdo Jankovic fan, I think he's brilliant and a genius.
Gav: I'm happy you watched that again, that film.
Dan: But it was so good. Daniel Radcliffe threw everything he had into that. And I love the fact that Daniel Radcliffe is just picking up these-
Gav: He's doing really odd roles.
Dan: You know, he did horns, he's done this, he's done guns akimbo, it's just great. And he was brilliant in it. And it was a really funny twist on real life. You know, yeah, really funny.
Gav: It's just yes, a lovely it's it's kind of like the Banksy documentary exit through the gift store where it's like Banksy himself, the way his art is. Yeah, the first half is about Banksy, then it flips on the filmmaker who's making the documentary. That's kind of like with this where the in it, real life things didn't happen, but the way they've done it, it's almost like it did happen. And we're now getting pictures like thought of everything first. It's so good.
Dan: He's a man that's known for his parodies.
Gav: So that's what's doing. It's very good. Yeah, it's so good. I told Sarah about watching. She's like, no, it's not for me. And so, it's so good.
Dan: Yeah, it's really, really good. The one movie I was disappointed with just mentioned is The Menu from 2022, with Ray Fiennes.
Gav: Shame, I watched that twice in one week. I saw it.
Dan: Really heard good things about it. I thought it was a really interesting idea, but I just thought it was just a bit bland. I'm not saying it was an awful film. I still gave it 6 out of 10.
Gav: Which is funny because it's about food.
Dan: I know, right? Yeah. Well, I still gave it 6 out of 10, but I still don't think I'd go back to it. It wasn't really...
Gav: I really liked it. Like, seriously, watched it twice in one week. I'd never do that. The Gentleman, that was the other time I did that.
Dan: The three films I would highly recommend, if anyone hasn't seen them. I finally watched Becky.
Gav: Yeah, I've seen that.
Dan: From 2020, which I was blown away by.
Gav: I absolutely loved it. I was a rough guy.
Dan: Kevin James.
Gav: Yeah, it's quite funny, because you kind of think of Kevin James as kind of a...
Dan: I love a Revenge Underdog movie, and this was everything for me. But straight after that, I went straight into the sequel, The Wrath Of Becky, which is just as good. It's only 0.5 but lower for me. I gave Becky 8. I gave The Wrath Of Becky 7.5. If you haven't seen it, it's brilliant. Sean William Scott is the buddy, and he is the head of like a cult of neo-Nazi type people that she goes up against. You've seen it all before in the first one, but it's done slightly differently, just as gory, and great the sound track, and I think the girl in it, Lulu Wilson is fantastic. So those two were brilliant. And then I finally watched the other night, Megan. I absolutely loved it. Probably the best Bloomhouse movie I've seen in years. Really creepy, incredible effects, because when Megan is just sitting down, it's a real animatronic. But when she's walking around or dancing or talking, it's a little girl who they hired who's an acrobat. She's a black belt in karate and a gymnast and contortionist. And she's wearing the mask. So obviously, a doll's mask is easy to wear for a child. So really great blend of effects, really creepy. And the end, there's a couple of scenes in it that are really creepy. It's really corny, but the ending was just like fucking hell. Like, I don't know. And it's set up, I know they're making a sequel, Megan 2.0, but I really think you would enjoy it. And I'll tell you why, because it's all about AI and what AI can do. Because obviously, she's built with AI technology, which means they suddenly think, shit, she can talk to a Tesla car. She can talk to the alarm system of the building. She can do this. And she starts realizing, oh, I want to be more than just a toy. But also she wants to protect the little girl that she's with as well. And there's a scene with a bully where, and you don't think she's going to go full on, but she does. This little boy gets killed. And when they all discover the body, then at the end of that day, the little girl who owns her says, oh, he's in a better place now. And Megan just says, no, he isn't. He's nowhere. And she's just going to tell her as it is, like, boom, he's dead.
Gav: Fair enough.
Dan: It's really good. There's a scene in it with a pressure washer and an old lady. That's all I'm going to say.
Gav: Oh, sexy times.
Dan: No, but Megan, highly recommended. So that I'll end on a high with that one. I really enjoyed that. Oh, shit, there's one more.
Bill: Courseries.
Gav: Everyone's turned off by now. Turn them back on, Dan, with your aural pleasure.
Dan: I've never seen it, don't know why. Behind the Mask, The Rise Of Leslie Vernon. Don't all come from my blood. Never seen it, but I have now.
Gav: Yeah, it's quite under the radar. It's not on any streaming service or anything. I've got an American DVD I found.
Dan: It's on Prime. Oh, really? You've got to rent it.
Gav: Oh, OK.
Dan: Highly worth it. I bought it because I knew I was going to love it. And it's kind of everything that I wanted from... What was that new one that came out where you're just following the killer in the woods all the way through?
Gav: Yeah, something.
Dan: There's something of violence.
Gav: Yeah, nature's violence.
Dan: In a violent nature. Yeah, it was because I liked that, but I was disappointed with it. Whereas The Rise Of Leslie Vernon was fucking up there, like an 8 out of 10 movie. Surprised I haven't seen it. And I cannot believe it takes place in the same world that there is Jason Voorhees, Freddy Krueger, Chucky, Michael Myers. But it works. That shouldn't work, but it does. And it's just such a great... It's not true found footage, is it? Because there's a lot of stuff that isn't found footage, but it's very close to being a found footage movie. But they do sort of have normal shots occasionally as well. But yeah, I'm on board. I'm in the cult of Lesley Vernon now. I thought it was really good and I loved everything about it. Really well done. And I didn't see the twists coming. Yeah, so absolutely love that. Now, before we go into a trailer and sort of wrap up, something sad did happen.
Gav: Oh, dear. I know what you're going to say.
Dan: We lost a horror movie legend.
Gav: He's an icon.
Dan: He's a fucking big icon with a voice that could melt through.
Bill: Oh, yes.
Dan: Yeah, Tony Todd. Rest in peace, Tony Todd.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: So we have to mention Tony. On the day I found out about it, I watched one of his films. I revisited Tom Savini's Night Of The Living Dead. Which is so good.
Gav: Sarah and I, on holiday last week, we took that and we watched that one evening.
Dan: I think you watched it the same night as me, actually.
Gav: I had done most of the evenings. We were just falling asleep and not because we're doing so much in the daytime. We're busy even though we're on holiday, but we're very full on doing stuff. Full on lounging as well at times. But yeah, we put it on. We stayed awake for the whole thing. It's such a good movie. I hadn't seen it for ages if everything about our film is really, really strong.
Dan: I'm not saying it's better than the first one, but I think I prefer it to Romero's in some way.
Gav: I'd say it's better than Romero's.
Dan: Just because obviously Romero had produced it and Savini had his blessing. And the whole point in it was to retain the rights to the name. They're not at the living dead, obviously, because it's public domain. But it's so good. He was so well cast in that.
Gav: By Tony Todd, I went up to Tom Savini and Tom Savini, I think, we always sort of cast whatever. And he said to him, you've got to give me a chance for that role. And Tony Todd was not really anyone at that point. And he said, no, just no, whatever. And he grabbed Tom Savini by the collars, not aggressively, but grabbed him and looked him in the face. You've got to get any sort of when he kind of played Ben and relighting and he got the job from that.
Dan: Yeah, I really, really, really, really like it. And the fact he comes back as a zombie is a great little.
Gav: It's such a great different change. I think it works well alongside the original then in that case, because they're both doing something very clever.
Dan: I'm not taking anything away from that absolute masterpiece. But I just really got a lot of time for streaming.
Gav: But you've also got Tom Sweeney's zombies.
Trailer: Incredible.
Gav: Yeah. I don't know how they might look in High Death, maybe. I watched the DVD.
Dan: I watched it on Prime. I streamed it in HD and it was decent. What I thought we'd do as a little salute to Tony is very briefly talk about some of my and some of his iconic roles. There aren't a huge amount in horror, because he's been in other things like Star Trek, TV show and stuff, but I thought we'd just do that. In reverse order, everybody knows he is Bloodworth, the funeral director in the final Destination movies. Just having him turn up for those couple of scenes, give them a little bit of exposition with that voice, just makes those films, doesn't it? He even played the voice of the devil in the third one, the roller coaster, although he wasn't in it, he did the voice. So I think that's definitely an iconic role for the newer generation. And I say newer, those Destination movies are like 25 years old now. But yeah, I wanted to mention that one, of course. He also was, we've talked about Night Of The Living Dead, he played Ben. It's just a great role for him. I believe that was one of his first roles in a movie or in a horror movie. Which is cool. He also played a role in another movie we covered, The Crow. He was the henchman, like the main henchman for the bad, the mob boss.
Gav: I always like it when you watch Platoon and he just turns up in that.
Dan: That's another role that I wanted to mention as well. What's his name in that? I've got it somewhere here. Give me a moment. Oh, I don't know where it's gone, though. It doesn't matter. But yeah, of course, well known and mostly known for the incredible, terrifying, striking, commanding performance of the Candyman himself. A character that made people terrified to say the words Candyman in the mirror five times because you thought he was actually going to appear behind you. And yeah, I just wanted to mention Tony Todd, really. He is just and was a horror icon and it's sad to see him go.
Gav: Yeah, he would give out his phone number to people. Funny enough, Pete, you know, Stormtrooper in the Moon. When Pete first went to LA he bumped into Tony Todd and told him, here's my phone number if you want to go for a drink sometime. And he rang him up and he went for a drink with him, you know, it's like a real nice person. He's really up for helping out people.
Dan: I'd love him to leave to record a voicemail for me for my phone.
Gav: I know, would have been good.
Dan: Funny enough, the last thing I'll say about him is, there's a Shudder series which is quite old now, but it's called 101 Scariest Moments In Horror Films. And it's about eight hours long, so it's like eight parts, they're like 50 minutes each or something. And he was in that a lot because it was all interviews with lots of legends from horror, talking about the 101 scariest movies, you know, 101 scariest moments in horror. So I was watching that when I found out he'd passed away. So he was on my screen quite a lot over those few days. So I went to watch Night Of The Living Dead. Perfect. There we go. So that's Tony Todd.
Gav: Died quite young as well.
Dan: He was in his 60s.
Gav: What was his reasons for death?
Dan: I'm not actually sure. Did they announce it?
Gav: Oh, actually, I think he might have had cancer.
Dan: Oh, bless him.
Gav: I think he was.
Dan: I might be wrong. My favorite fact about him is when he made Candyman, when he realized they're going to be working with live bees.
Gav: Oh, yeah.
Dan: He made them right in the contract. If I get stung by a bee, I get $1,000. He was stung by about 20 bees during the course of that film. So he got about 20 grand.
Trailer: Bonus.
Dan: Excellent, Tony. Good work, my friend. I'd get stung by 20 bees for 20 grand.
Gav: He looks like a sort of man that's going to say stuff and you could go, yes, sir. Yeah.
Dan: In that voice as well.
Trailer: You listen to me.
Gav: I can't do it. I sound more like Dirty Harry.
Dan: Do you want to hear about my dream or should I say that for World Of The Strange?
Gav: Dirty Gavvy, but that's for me and Sarah. What are you saying? What?
Dan: My dream? Dirty Gavvy?
Gav: Is that a gun? It's a gun. It's not that. It's not Sarah and I's bedroom dialogue.
Dan: I'll just quickly finish off with a dream I had only last night. So this is a random turn of events and weird that we're covering a film about a man that gets you in your dreams. So I had a dream that I died. I had a dream last night, me and a bunch of strangers.
Gav: Have you ever had this before?
Dan: Never. We all died.
Gav: I don't think I have.
Dan: And it was to do with getting hit in the stomach or a creature bit me in the stomach.
Gav: How did you know that you... In your dream, you were there and then you died and you were still conscious of your death?
Dan: Let me explain. So in my dream, I was in like a building, like an office with a bunch of strangers. It was kind of, maybe I was at work, I don't know. But we all got killed. My death involved my stomach being torn out and it hurt for a split second and then it was gone. And then I was back in the same office block with all those people and we were all looking around. And I felt in the dream and when I woke up, I felt this strange sense of ecstasy and happiness and relief. And we all looked at each other in this room and we all sort of suddenly realized that we're dead. We are dead, aren't we? Yes, we're dead. Oh my God, we're dead. But none of us were panicking. None of us were worried about it. And then we heard a noise in the sky, a bit like those trumpets, those sky trumpets that they say you can hear.
Gav: Did you just get naked as soon as you found out you're dead in your dream? So everyone agreed. Did you just? I'm telling you all my clothes. No, no, no. Why are you taking clothes off? I'm dead. It doesn't really matter.
Dan: Because this voice suddenly started coming out of the sky.
Gav: Don't take your clothes off.
Dan: And we knew it wasn't necessarily God, but we knew it was the higher power in this dream. And he started talking to us all in this incredible voice that we could all hear only in our sort of inside our bodies and our own heads. And he was saying, you know, I'm going to take the form of a man so that you all, none of you will be afraid.
Gav: Oh, freak out. Okay.
Dan: And so this mist kind of came down and formed like a 12 foot tall man. So it's still a tall guy, but it was like a man. And we all just, we were all shouting, I love you. And I was in my dream. I was going, I love you so much. I love you all.
Gav: This sounds fucking deep.
Dan: Yeah, it is.
Gav: Did you have an awakening?
Dan: Well, let me continue. So we were sort of telling him how much we loved him. And then he was like, it was almost like he was making a speech at a wedding, because everything you were saying, we were laughing. We were appraising this thing. Yeah, we were so happy.
Gav: That's finding religion almost, isn't it? How you would treat a god.
Dan: I told Alice, I felt like I'd taken, in my dream, it was like I'd taken an ecstasy. And I have taken ecstasy, so I know what it's like. And I don't condone taking drugs with anyone out there. But so it was like that times 50. But then, I made a joke to him and I swore I said like bullshit or something like that. And everyone laughed and he said, Come on, we don't have that kind of, not language, but we don't have that kind of negativity. And I was like, I'm sorry, I love you. Please forgive me. I love you so much. He was like, Oh, I love you all. Don't worry, Dan, don't worry everyone. And then I said to him, what happened to Nanny then? And he laughed and I said, do we ever get to go back? And he said, no, this is it. He said, what you had before was nothing. That was just a taster, like that wasn't real. This is real. This is the real bit now. And everybody ever before, after, they're all here. So I straight away said, well, how do I speak to like my mom or my grandma? And he was like, you can find them.
Gav: This is insane.
Dan: He said, you've been here forever. You've come home. So you will be able to find them. And I was like, oh my God, this is incredible. But me and these people in this room who had never met these strangers, I just loved them all and they loved me and we loved this big creature that was a god or whatever he was. And then my mission was to try and find my mom or whatever and talk to all these other people. But I knew they were all there and I knew everyone ever was with me. You were there, although you weren't in the dream, but everyone who was dead or alive was there. And then the feeling was just so incredible. And then I woke up in my kids' room because I'd slept in their room with them. That's insane, dude. And I just had this wave of ecstasy flowing through my body for about a minute. It's like, what is this? Wow. I told Alice this morning and she was like, what, did you take drugs last night? I was like, I feel like I did. I said, but all I can describe to you is this being was emanating love. And it was, I was just, got this love flowing through me. I just wanted to mention it on the show because it's mental.
Gav: Sounds like, you know, what happens when we die, maybe.
Dan: Well, it felt, she said like, maybe you died for a split second in your sleep or something.
Gav: That's weird.
Dan: Because, you know, a split second when you're dead or when you're asleep can be a hundred years, can't it? But if honestly, if I'd have gone into a coma and told you that story and come out after three days and told you that story, you'd be like, fucking hell, that's great. But the fact that all I did was sleep on my kid's bedroom floor and have that dream.
Trailer: Yeah, that's fine.
Dan: But I can still remember the voice. I can feel the voice now. I can still remember it now.
Gav: That always feels like what I imagine it is like when people find religion and they all of a sudden, for whatever reason, they find a certain religion, I guess, generally wherever they're born is their religion. But then they find a god and they open themselves up that love and their love amongst the church people and so on. I imagine that's what that is.
Dan: He said, you know, he said he didn't ever say he was God. He just said, I'm going to take form of something more familiar to you all so that you won't be scared of me because I'm bigger than all of this. And so are you now. You know, he said we're all part of this thing. I wish I knew more. I could remember more. But I went to another astral plane.
Gav: Why have you been like, I'm going to do a form which you won't feel scared of. And it's like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. But then again, he destroyed New York, didn't he? So that might be a bit scary. What if it's like a big Bill Murray or Dan Aykroyd? Or something like, oh, I feel comforted.
Dan: Or a big penis just waddling along.
Gav: I was going to say a dildo, actually, but I thought that wouldn't be comforting.
Dan: No, but that was my dream about some kind of a god.
Gav: I think it sounds incredible and crazy and amazing. And I'm almost bit jealous. I want to have it.
Dan: Well, go and sleep in on the floor in between my twins. And you never know what can happen in there. There we go.
Gav: And on that note, let's talk about fucking Halloween 5. Halloween 5, I'm calling it.
Dan: It's a trailer.
Gav: It's a trailer. Halloween 5, smell my breath, Jamie.
Dan: They want you down at the cemetery.
Trailer: Today in the cemetery, suddenly dug up a coffin. It was a coffin of a 19-year-old girl.
Gav0: You've come back to us, my friend.
Dan: When are they gonna realize that she is not him?
Gav0: She's just a child. They know that Michael Myers is her uncle, and that she attacks her stepmother. That's why they fear her, especially on Halloween. You are afraid. You are afraid the whole thing might start to happen again.
Trailer: How many people did he kill last year?
Gav0: Have you forgotten?
Trailer: You never looked into his face, did you? You never saw his eyes? You never saw that nothing, no expression, blank? My memory goes back 12 years. I prayed that he would burn in hell, but in my heart, I knew that hell would not happen. Michael Myers is outside. The National Guard will take him to a maximum security facility, but he'll stay till the day he dies. Never die.
Gav: Halloween 5, The Revenge Of Michael Myers from 1989, rated 18 and hour and 36 minutes. One year after the events of Halloween 4, The Return Of Michael Myers 1988, The Shape returns to Haddonfield once again in an attempt to kill his now-mute niece. 4.9 out of 10.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: It's a bit of a mess.
Gav: Oh, it's a terrible mess. Like part four, I can still, you got to think, it's been a rocky franchise, really, because the producers obviously want to make as much, as most producers, want to make as much money as possible. Obviously, it's a business. Then didn't realize really that Michael Myers was the selling point, really, the USP, the unique selling point of the film, really. So Halloween 3 is a bit of a flop, as we all know, and we've discussed it before, we even talked about it when we did it. Then we had to come back with Halloween 4 with Michael Myers, and it's not as bad film. It's kind of okay. It's not great at all.
Dan: Re-watching it last year, I don't think I recommend it, but it's okay.
Gav: It's actually got some more right stuff in it. This, whoo. Well, Daniel Harris is a really good actress in this. Very good actor.
Dan: She's incredible. Really good child actress in this. Really good. Really conveys when she's mute for the first half of the movie.
Gav: Yeah, really good.
Dan: She conveys that, wow, her fear with no speech. You really feel sorry for her. Donald Pleasence is fucking unhinged in this.
Gav: He's very forced and over the top. It's almost like, I don't know, because he's come back.
Dan: He was drunk a lot.
Gav: He got to think, he only did the original because his daughter or granddaughter or something said, Oh, John Compton, they liked maybe the Sought And Briefing 13 or something. And said, you should do this film because he wasn't really that whatever. But then comes on to be obviously Halloween 2, not Halloween 3, but then comes back for Halloween 4. So they would have had to go up to him and say, would you come back? And he'd be like, I like being Dr. Loomis, okay. And he comes back and does his thing. What was his like last time in the part 4? It wasn't as forced performance, was it?
Dan: It was him trying to convince all the police, you know, this is real, this is happening. He kind of took charge a bit. Whereas in this one, he's still trying to convince the police. But he just goes on like a one man Rambo Rampage. And the police are just trying to keep up with him really in this one. And he's pretty much beat up a little girl who's mute to try and force her to tell him information.
Gav: Yeah, it's just really, really over the top in this. And it's just a really weird choice. And then I do feel, what was he, what else was he doing?
Dan: The other problem with this film is it starts to introduce some of the supernatural elements, because you've got this weird link between Jamie, Daniel Harris and Michael. But they never fully explain why there's a telepathic link between them. And then, of course, they introduce this guy who's part of this cult that is hunting down Michael. But that plot thread is never really fully investigated or explained. It just kind of pops up two or three times. And that's it. And obviously, when we cover the sixth one next year, there's a lot more of it in that one.
Gav: The whole storyline is weird. We have Halloween franchises. It's three different storylines, isn't there? You can... I think my favorite is Halloween, original Halloween 1, original Halloween 2, and then going to Halloween H20. That's my happy trilogy.
Dan: Yeah, you know, and then you've got the Rob Zombie one. So it's a strange franchise.
Gav: Donald Pleasence in 95 when he did Halloween, Kirsten Michael Myers. At the same time as that, he did a movie called Safe Haven, and then after that in 96, he did a movie called Fatal Frames, and then that was it. He never did AP House. So he was kind of like, you know Donald Pleasence, incredible actor, great escape, lots of amazing things. He loved acting. He was just someone who did it because he loved doing it. So you got to think as you get on, if you carry on doing it, it's brilliant. But obviously, he's doing whatever. So it's strange his performance. If it is, it could be drinking.
Dan: It was drink.
Gav: It was drink.
Dan: But he was also very kind, especially to Daniel Harris. Apparently, he had a huge trailer. And they all have everybody else.
Gav: I wonder what you could say to them.
Dan: Apparently, he had a huge penis. Yes, it's the biggest one in Haddonfield. And apparently, when he wrapped his final day of shooting, they obviously still had a lot of the movie to shoot. He insisted that they gave his trailer to Daniel Harris. And it was like a double trailer compared to everyone else. So she got this huge trailer. And he said, you're a great actress.
Gav: Brilliant. She went in there and she's just falling over bottles, empty bottles of booze. Don't mind the mess, Daniel.
Dan: Like the car on the trailer, part of what he's ever done, they open the door and all the bottles just fall out. Yeah. But yeah, she speaks highly of him. And actually the cast, there's a really, he was great. There's a really fun behind the scenes documentary, which you can watch on YouTube. And it's part of that huge documentary they did. But if you watch the part five documentary section, which is about 30 minutes long, maybe, the cast all look initially like this is awful. What were we doing? But they now also say we're kind of glad we did it because it's the one of the weirdest films in this franchise. It's one of the weirdest horror films in any franchise because it kind of goes off on some weird tangents. But the fans of the franchise, big fans, they do kind of like it for its weirdness.
Gav: Yeah. As a kid, I was like Halloween all the way. Never really been a fan of the Freddie series. But as I've got older, it's been like, no, Friday the 13th is the one.
Dan: Yeah. And I've still got, you know, I watched this on VHS. I've got them all on VHS.
Gav: I used to really like these movies. I was proud of myself. I got off eBay that producers cut of Halloween 6. The VHS pirated bootleg tape I got off eBay. I was like, right, I want that in the collection because I pride myself on my Halloween collection. And for a time, it was really hard to get hold of these films. They were going for a lot of money. This was like a while ago. It was probably like 20 years ago. Because I remember getting the whole series when a video shop went down near me and I got all the Halloween videotapes. Then I got rid of them. And then I did finally get all the DVDs eventually. And at one point, I did actually pick up a whole box set for really cheap in Oxfam, which is surprising because Oxfam was a ridiculous rip off. But yeah, it was really hard to get a whole set of these films for cheap, which is funny because it's because the fans wanted to do them and they were out of supply, you know.
Dan: I mean, the plus points here are obviously Daniel Harris is his performance is great. And I've got to say, all the kids in this are quite fun and they're good characters and there's a good chemistry between them all. And everyone's having a good time and it seems to be enjoying themselves making this film. The downsides are trying to keep up with the plot and the weird elements of Supernatural. So they keep introducing into it and that fucking mask, the Michael Myers mask is just absolutely appalling.
Gav: What is it? You know, it's producer Medlin. Because like, why do you need to, something which was great in 77 or 78, when you were 78, was great then. Why do you need to like, change it? It works.
Dan: Why update it? It looks cheap.
Gav: It's that sort of thing where like, they're like, great, the first movie did so well. Let's always replicate the first movie. So they're always trying to fucking replicate the first movie. Yet they don't do things different. It also, why are you doing it different then?
Dan: It also contains a scene which I absolutely love, probably one of my favorite scenes in it, where Michael dons a different mask when he's in the car and he's got on that thug mask, like a big clown thug.
Gav: And he grips the steering wheel. He's like, I'm going to do you, baby.
Dan: Yeah, really good scene that is. And I like that moment as well. And I know that they revisit the whole telepathic link because in the third, in the Halloween kills, the last Halloween movie that came out, they have that telepathic link again brought back. So it's weird because Jason's a zombie. Yeah, there's some supernatural elements, but he just comes back and we just take that. Freddy is a demon, so we get how he can do what he does. But Michael was just a guy who escaped from an asylum. And then in the fifth movie, they just start throwing in these supernatural telepathic links.
Gav: They look at it, well, it gets that sort of thing. Well, I guess a couple of factors, they're probably looking at franchises adjacent to them, which is Jason, Freddy, and saying, oh, they've got these things. Because the concept of Nightmare On Elm Street is brilliant. They come in in dreams.
Dan: Yeah, you can do it.
Gav: It's a great concept.
Dan: Anything they want.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: Any effects can get, anything goes.
Gav: It works really well in that sense, and Jason, for some reason, we've never really bothered quizzing it too much. We've just been like, yeah, we'd just like to see this bulking man come along and just hack people up in the woods.
Dan: Okay, yeah, he gets brought back to life by lightning in one of them.
Gav: Yeah, we're just like, yeah, fine. Whatever. Yeah. But this one, it's kind of, I think it's hard because the original Halloween is a masterpiece of a film by John Carpenter.
Dan: And the original two Halloweens.
Gav: That's why it was a strange one.
Dan: Well, the first two are just grounded as well. They're very grounded in reality because it is just a guy who has nothing in him. He is evil. Yeah. And he is in an asylum and his focus is, I'm going to kill my family.
Gav: He probably didn't have back stories so much. I imagine. It would be a nightmare, whatever. So that's why it's so hard about this franchise, because the first one is a masterpiece, where Nightmare On The Street isn't a masterpiece. Friday the 13th first ones aren't masterpieces. Some may argue with Nightmare On The Street. I'm not really a big fan of watching the cinema, actually, a couple of years ago, the original, I actually thought that's not that good. But Michael Myers and John Carpenter, that's fucking very good film. You can still watch that and go, this is a really good film.
Dan: Nice to be both did.
Gav: Yeah. So it struggles because they're trying to jump on that the whole time, going to be like this, but at the same time, they're like, but we've got to update it. We've got to do it for what's happening now and what's calling. Is that cool? Let's do that as well. So all these different inputs come in, and then we watch this movie in 2024, and it's just like...
Dan: I guess the other thing it's got to go for is...
Gav: I was angry when I watched this. I messaged you.
Dan: At least the other thing it's got to go for is at least it follows on directly from the last one. So it continues the story, but it just goes off on some weird tangents. But I do, I like the, I like the party with the kids.
Gav: This is the problem with the fact that John Carpenter wouldn't have written it right. I've written this movie, but I've also written the fucking stories for years to come. Yeah. So then it's like I said, that problem with the third one being a different movie than the fourth one, we've got to pull them back. So the fifth one has got to continue after four because that's what they want to see. But they're starting to just make stories up without John Carpenter there. He would just be getting paycheck for the characters that he'd come up with, Jason, Michael, you know. So it's such a like, okay, let's do this now. Then bringing in different writing teams, being then being overseen by the producers, ACAD and all that stuff, and just look thinking money more than actual film. Oh, okay, throw another killing. Have you got like some woman's boobs? Great, brilliant or whatever.
Dan: And at least they got KMB effects in this.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: But I think a lot of it was working against them because of all the things you've just said. Too many cooks pour the broth. But on top of that, I think Donald Pleasence was really struggling with his boozing. And so...
Gav: What they can say to them, they're not going to say anything to him because he's like a key to the films.
Dan: Yeah. And even Daniel Harris is, you know, she's bringing back, so is Ben Meeker, you know. So there's a few characters that are back, which is great.
Gav: Yeah. And you got signature music for Halloween as well.
Dan: It's just a bit of a struggle to get through, really. But like I said, when I was younger, I liked this one because I always really liked it.
Gav: I thought I liked it when I was younger.
Dan: My favourite scene is in the middle where the kids are all at that party at a farm and some of them are getting busy in the hay and some of them are in the party, you know, that kind of stuff. But Gav, let's talk about the two cops as well. I don't think we'll go through the plot too much on this one. Let's just talk about some of our favourite or least favourite bits. There's a couple of cops in this, dear listeners, you may not remember if you've seen this and if you haven't seen this.
Gav: It's a weird choice.
Dan: They've got these two bungling, like, cops, and every time they show up, you get like these...
Bill: Bwabaw, bwabaw, bwabaw.
Dan: Boing, boing, boing. All these sound effects from the cartoon.
Gav: And you know, again, a director has definitely not said, OK, at this point here, I'm going to have some comical music playing. No, a producer's come in and been like, put some comical music here. These guys seem wacky.
Dan: It's like a spring sound.
Gav: It makes the film. Not be that serious film. They've always tried to be all the time. And it pulls you out of the film for a minute.
Dan: And the guys who played the cops, they said at the premiere, they both looked at each other like, what the fuck are all these sound effects on every time we're on screen?
Gav: Because they're not even that goofy.
Dan: No, they're just like, they're funny.
Gav: They're bumbling, but they're not.
Dan: They could have just let them be.
Gav: It's not Abbott and Costello.
Dan: Yeah, no, exactly. They were funny enough subtly in their performances, but the fact that they also apparently told them to walk like penguins, which is why they're always swaying from side to side.
Gav: So that means they actually, in the script then, it was scripted that had this like music cue.
Dan: Apparently, Akkad just, no, no, I don't think that music was. Akkad wanted that in after and he's the one that on set said, I think it would be funny if you walk like penguins. And they were like, what?
Gav: Why?
Dan: But then again, Because he's a producer, Gav, cocaine.
Gav: It's just, yeah, you get a bit in this. There's a bit where Michael Myers, he doesn't doesn't die. You know, he somehow manages in some water. Is it in the water? He comes along. Yeah. He sort of, for a sense, he goes swimming, gets away. And if a man sort of finds him at a dock house, or he finds a man at a dock house. Do you think this is a play on Brad Frankenstein? With the blind guy?
Dan: It is, apparently it was. Apparently they had a...
Gav: That's quite nice.
Dan: They had a lot more written for that. It would be like another 15 minutes.
Gav: You've got to think, though, if the director or whoever was written it as well. The writing credits... Yeah, OK, the director did have some writing credits. You've got to think that that's pretty good and that's a fan of horror to be doing that in.
Dan: They wouldn't let him shoot all the stuff for that. He wanted to.
Gav: It's kind of a shame because that would have given us a little bit more class almost.
Dan: So, I mean, I guess we will briefly run through this. What I mean, it starts with very cheaply. The first five minutes of this film is the best of Halloween 4. They show you a recap. So, they've saved a bit of money and they're showing you everything that happened, which ends with him being blown up in a well.
Gav: It's good because I can remember what happened.
Dan: And then Jamie is now mute in a home. She can't speak, she has all these nightmares. And actually, a lot of what she has are telepathic visions of what Michael's up to. So, there's parts of this that are repeated in Halloween Kills. Yeah, Halloween Ends. Sorry, the final Halloween movie.
Gav: Oh, OK.
Dan: Because obviously, he's linked telepathically to that random kid with a motorbike, like for some reason we never know. I still don't understand. I'd love for someone to explain it.
Gav: But yeah, and yeah, that's not going to get really detailed into this film.
Dan: Yeah, but yeah, so she's great. She has these telepathic links where every time Michael kills someone, she sort of feels it.
Gav: So where was she before this in the previous Halloween films?
Dan: She was living with her family, wasn't she? Yeah, her family gets killed in this one. The rest of her remaining family gets killed in this one. Yeah. And Loomis pops up as he does.
Gav: I told you he's back. Yeah.
Dan: He is like, he hunts down Jamie and he grabs her several scenes.
Gav: And it's just his little girl. She shakes her face right up to her face. And you know that he's stunk of booze.
Dan: He's pulling a gun on the nurse. He's saying, I need to get the information. She, I don't know how he knows that she's telepathic.
Gav: He knows everything.
Dan: And he shakes her and says, where is he? You know, and then Jamie obviously can't talk.
Gav: No. And Michael basically finds this guy in his place. And this guy kind of takes him. But he goes to kill this guy, but he's out of strength, so he can't do it. He's got a power up his name. I'll tell you what, I know you tried to kill me, but you're out of strength. I'll bring you back to strength. Hopefully, you won't kill me. I wouldn't help someone who tried to kill me. I'd be like, fuck all, fordering up the place. Get down there to this... Look at this, look at this cunt. Look at him. Does he look like a teacher for a kindergarten? No, he looks like a mass murderer.
Dan: Michael kills another dog in this one. He loves killing dogs. And it's basically Michael hunting down all of Jamie's older sister, I think, well, it's her older step sister, hunting down her and all of her friends and killing them off. And every time he kills one of them, Jamie feels it or sees it in a vision until it gets to the point where there's like a fake out. So they're at a party, and some kids got all over Michael Myers' mask again. You think they'd learn by now, Gav. What happened to that last kid with Michael Myers' mask? He got hit by a police car and exploded on fire. And Loomis shot him.
Gav: Loomis now has a scar, doesn't he? A bit like Freddy Krueger, sort of, because of a burn.
Dan: Yeah, because he got set on fire in the fourth one. So he's sort of saying things like, I got these scars for a reason. I'm not going to let him get away with it.
Gav: At this point, if you're his mate down the pub, what have you been up to today, Loomis? Haunted Michael, as always, you know I have.
Dan: That's all he's got.
Gav: A bit like, oh, can't you just put your feet up? And let's go have a game of pool. We'll get some beers in this. We get drunk, then we go get a kebab, then come back to mine and we watch Naked Gun. Come on, let's go do that.
Dan: Imagine Cousins watching Naked Gun.
Gav: No, I'm not doing that. And just calm down with your aggressiveness in your old age. Mellow man, give him some weed.
Dan: I love Leslie Nielsen.
Gav: I love Leslie. He took most of my roles. Leslie was going to be Loomis.
Dan: So we get this scene.
Gav: I'd love to have done a spin-off of Halloween, but with Leslie Nielsen as Loomis.
Dan: Yeah, because he plays straight so well. That's obviously the beauty of it.
Gav: They have done the horror sort of stuff. Dracula dead and loving it, is it?
Dan: Dracula dead and loving it and repossessed.
Gav: Repossessed, yeah. So kind of, yeah.
Dan: But this party they're all at, and the kids are bonking in the hay, and then Michael kills them all. I always really liked that scene. I thought that is the most Halloween part of this.
Gav: We are a fan of growing up in the mid to late 90s, where that was a staple of a horror movie, was a frat party type thing or something. So we feel at home with that.
Dan: Yeah. And there's another part of this, which initially I was annoyed that there was a character called Michael, but very cleverly, because there's one of the boys in the gang is called Michael. But it's very clever because when he goes to pick his girlfriend up, he's killed by Michael Myers. Michael Myers then puts on a Halloween mask, which looks like a sort of big sort of caveman slash clown. That's the way I can describe it. So when the girlfriend gets in, she thinks it's her boyfriend. So she even says, hey, Michael, I'm here. She doesn't realize that's not her Michael, that's Michael Myers. So I actually really liked the cleverly written part of that scene. Yeah. And the guy that played Michael Myers said that he was told by Akkad, you know, act, act, act. He's like, but how? I've got a mask on. So he said, I'll act with my hand. So that was his idea to show the clenching of the hands on the steering wheel and stuff, you know.
Gav: It works really well.
Dan: It does work well. So it's a shame. I've got some good bits in there.
Gav: I've got another bit. There's a really good bit. I don't know who he is. I've got looks outside. I don't know why she's looks outside, but there's a bit where someone's walking on. I don't know if it's Jamie or the older one. Anyway, the camera pans alongside them.
Dan: And Michael's walking along.
Gav: And she doesn't look back, but she reaches out, and there's a real nice bit of tension. It's crafted really, really well. Out of nowhere, all of a sudden, it's a very well crafted shot. The tension works really well with it. It's really nicely done. It's just a shame. And I could actually imagine if the director was probably let to have his leash loosened, he might have been actually, or his reins, he might have been actually able to craft something a bit more of tension, but it feels like a producer's fingerprints all over this.
Dan: The bit with the guy, the man in black, the cowboy or whatever, apparently the director was inspired by Johnny Cash. There's a man in black, comes to town.
Gav: Which is okay, but again, you're just making stuff up.
Dan: But the guy that played Michael Myers also played, for some shots played this other man. And he said, when we were filming it, they did not tell me why I was dressing as a cowboy and getting off of a bus. Or showing up here and there. They just made me do it. And I did it for the money.
Gav: That's terrible because as an actor, you need some intentions. Like, why am I doing this? What's my character? So I can actually embody that person that I'm trying to be.
Dan: But it's so confusing to the audience because there was no internet back then. People didn't remember films as much.
Gav: So it's a bit of a nightmare. So what was that movie like? Tell me about it.
Dan: Because this guy keeps popping up, this cowboy in black with the same tattoo that Michael's got. Now Michael suddenly got a tattoo on his hand, which I don't know if he ever had in the other movies.
Gav: Where did he get that from?
Dan: Well, apparently from this cult.
Gav: Prison tattoos, compass and ink.
Dan: Apparently from this cult. Do you know what I mean? And the end scene, and I'll jump to that now before we carry on talking. The end scene feels like, and I've got a genuine story about this. When I was watching it, probably the first time I ever saw this on VHS, when the movie ends and Michael's in prison, he's in this police jail, all of a sudden, I thought another film had been spliced onto mine, because suddenly this man shows up in a cowboy hat and long trench coat with guns, and he does a terminator on the police station. He takes out all the police.
Gav: Did you just think, hang on?
Dan: I thought, what is going on? Because the wall explodes, and he's taken out all these cops, and it's like, what, what, what? I had to rewind it, and I'd forgotten about that moment of my life, until I watched it again now, and it's like, oh, yeah, that does happen in this film. It's almost like a different film has been spliced in, and it ends with Michael being broken out of prison by this man in black who is... We'll get into this next year when we cover the sixth one, but it's to do with Michael's part of a cult. He carries evil in him. He's a human embodiment of evil, and that's why he's got the tattoo on him, and that's why this cult member is following him around and trying to get him out of jail and stuff like that. It's all very weird and loose, and it's not properly written, which is why I can't really give you a proper explanation of it, because it was never really fully fleshed out and written properly. It was just an idea that happened to leak into this film, this actual finished film from 1989.
Gav: They're just trying to get something out, weren't they? And it's just, it's greed.
Dan: Another part of this I like is the laundry shoot and all that moment, you know, where Jamie gets stuck in the laundry shoot.
Gav: Again, at that point, then, it's not a bad bit of tension. This is why the director should have been allowed to do what he wanted to do, I feel.
Dan: Because it feels, because when he really goes for it, it really feels very Halloween. And I wanted more of that. I wanted more of Michael, you know, stalking people.
Gav: Yeah, like the original, which made the, which was popular. I've got one note that says, blimey, how much longer is there?
Dan: Yeah, I guess. Yeah, it's just, it's very strange. I don't really know what more I can say about it, really. I'll just quickly scan my notes while we're chatting, just to see if there's anything else.
Gav: I'm glad you didn't come back and be like, this movie is fucking amazing. I'm like, oh no.
Dan: It's my least favorite in the Halloween franchise.
Gav: I think my net six, part six would be, I don't know, I've received, but this is free. This I plan on never watching again while I'm on this planet. Maybe when I go to where you went to in your dreams last night, I'll be watching Halloween. We could watch Halloween 5 together and laugh in about it.
Dan: Although Loomis is really weird as a character in this, I do like it when he goes full on Rambo in the final part where-
Gav: It is a bit full on that last part. Loads of cops get killed like the Terminator.
Dan: He sends all the cops away from the house that Jamie's being protected in. And then the other cops like-
Gav: It's okay, I'll look after her.
Dan: He pulls his gun on the cop and says, no, no, no. He's pulled his gun on a cop, locked them in the house.
Gav: At this point, I reckon as a character, Dr. Loomis himself has a bottle of whiskey in his jacket.
Dan: Yeah, he's like Columbo's weird drunken brother.
Gav: Oh God, it's what happens when Columbo goes to sleep at night. It's like his substance, isn't it?
Dan: Because I do like that scene and I did like the fight that Loomis has with Michael.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: But again, when did he set up? When did Loomis, who's an old man, an old drunk cop, get with a burnt face and a limp because he got caught on fire in the last film. When did he get the chance to set up this booby trap of a metal net, like a steel net that you use for fishing sharks in the landing of this house? So as Michael walked up the steps, he dropped the net on him and then he gets a piece of wood and goes to town on Michael. Apparently, because he was a bit drunk, the guy who played Michael said, it was a rubber, there was rubber over the end of a real piece of wood.
Gav: But it still hurt.
Dan: No, Lume, Donald Pleasence went a bit crazy with it and forgot which part of the wood to hit the stunt, the guy that plays Michael with. So he turned it on his edge where it was actual wood and broke his nose and split the mask. And that's why there's a few snippets in the final reel where the mask has been repaired with, there's like got some tape over it.
Trailer: Oh my God.
Dan: Because my Donald Pleasence just got this plank of wood and went to town. And Daniel Harris said she was just like sitting on the floor while they were filming, like thinking, it looks like he's hitting him. He's such a good actor. It looks like he's hitting him for real. And then obviously the guy that played Michael was like, my nose is broken, can we just take a moment? They're like, oh, do you need to stop? He's like, no, no, I've broken my nose like dozens of times. I used to be a stunt man. It's fine. But he I can't breathe at the moment with the mask on. My nose is full of blood. The mask is split. We might want to take an hour here to sort of reset.
Gav: OK, Donald. OK, Donald, wrap. That's a wrap. OK, do you want to just go back? No, no, it was brilliant. It was brilliant, honestly. Just go. That's it. Hand the bat over to the assistant. That's it. Back to your trailer. OK.
Dan: And there are some great effects in this. There's some odd choices to kill some people off screen, like the two bungling cops. They're just dead. You don't ever get to see them get killed. But there's some great effects from KMBE, you know, in this, because the Halloween movies aren't really known for their effects. There's some great kills and stuff.
Gav: No, contrary to the Nightmare On Elm Street series, which I think is just a showcase for effects.
Dan: Yeah, totally, totally, complete polar opposite. And I also, as a kid, really liked, and still do like, the scene where Jamie gets in the coffin to try and trick Michael. And Michael, she says, you're my uncle, Uncle Michael, take off the mask so I can see you. So she does. And apparently he really cried. Apparently the actor had really managed to get some tears out for that scene. Although you don't really see the tears shot very well. And she says, you know, we've got the same, we're the same. Look at our faces. We're family. You know, she tries to trick him.
Gav: That's like that email I sent to Daniel Harris. I was drunk.
Dan: It is. Daniel, we're the same. We're like brother and sister. I could be your uncle, Jamie.
Gav: Oh, she's probably got me on her stalking list, you know.
Dan: Loomis tranquilizes him. And while he's hitting him with the wood, do you remember what Loomis says? You can tell Donald Pleasence was drunk. He's just screaming, die, die, die, die about a hundred times in a row. And again, something that we've never seen before, Michael is arrested and he's taken by the police and put in that jail cell. You know, it's great. But then the terminator shows up.
Gav: It just takes out all the cops and it's just a massacre. Jamie's just told to stay in the car, doesn't, obviously, walks in, not too phased by a fuckload of dead cops lying all over the place, just carries on walking towards whatever it is that's killed them. She just keeps walking towards it. Why? Stay in the car or go the other way? Why do you keep walking towards the dead body pile?
Dan: And it ends with Loomis sort of turning up at the station with-
Gav: I'm going to be walking away from the dead body pile.
Dan: He takes, Loomis takes Jamie to the station.
Gav: Because this doesn't take itself seriously where the next movie does have a hip hop song at the end rapping about bloody Freddy Krueger. Not actually very Krueger, but it could have been because in that movie, Freddy Krueger even skateboards. At no point in this, Michael Myers is skateboarding. It's the total difference between really serious, up their own arse almost, or they think they are because the first one that has pedigree, the originals of John Copter, compared to not on Elm Street, like, oh, let's just do whatever because we know what people are here for, like Friday 13th series. Yeah. Let's not change it. They like that. Let's do that.
Dan: They thought about it too much. With Halloween 5, they thought about it too much. They had too many ideas. They should have streamlined it a bit. And the bits that are good in it are good, are really good. You know, we've talked about the tension, the laundry shoot.
Gav: Sorry, it's in trouble. You've only got the Odd Bastard Child film with the Friday 13th series. And that's the one where there's no Jason in one of the ones.
Dan: Which a lot of people say is their favorite.
Gav: And that's the only one which doesn't continue the formula, even though it still does the formula, just he's not actually in it. So and the original, but that's fine. But they keep the exact same thing every time. Yeah, apart from space.
Dan: He comes back from the dead, kills a load of teenagers.
Gav: Obviously goes to, he does go to Manhattan, on a boat most of it, then goes to a supposed Manhattan.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: Apart from that, it's the same. But this is Halloween, take yourself too serious. And Freddy comes out in dreams and it's always, Freddy, as we've been saying, is the same fucking thing every time. Don't go to sleep, watch me, I'm gonna go in and get Freddy, but you won't go to sleep, I won't go to sleep. Okay, I'm going to sleep now, fights Freddy, the other one, oh, where am I? Oh, there's Freddy and now I'll die. It's just, again, we did this in the original, with Johnny Depp, come on.
Dan: But the effects pull you back in every time because you want to see what they've done.
Gav: They're there to watch you. You're going to the cinema to see Freddy Krueger because he's fun with clawed fingers and he does funny fucking jokes, like he's Arnold Schwarzenegger with his one liners, stuck around and, you know.
Trailer: It's a boy.
Dan: But, let's finish up Halloween 5. 89, excuse me.
Gav: That's the difference between these films. This one tries to be too serious.
Dan: That's what we're getting at. So, I think the flaws are that they try to introduce this supernatural element, which they stick at in the next one, and then they drop it again when it gets to H20 and Resurrection. It's weird. It goes all over the place, the franchise, and it is flawed. And it's a shame, because that mask is iconic. The first movie and even the second movie, in my opinion, are both absolute masterpieces. But it's just got more wrong with it than it's got right with it. And for that, I cannot recommend Halloween 5 The Revenge Of Michael Myers. I give it 3 out of 10 on IMDB, which is very low for me.
Gav: I could spend 90 minutes tickling your bottom with a long feather, and you'd have a lot more entertainment than this.
Dan: That sounds great. I give this 3 out of 10, mainly because it at least continues bringing the characters along. And there's about, out of the hour and 36 minutes runtime, there's about 25, 30 minutes of this I really enjoyed. But there's an hour of this that is just absolutely confusing nonsense and quite boring and samey at times as well. I like the characters. And that's it. That's what frustrates me. I like all the characters. Parts of this are really well written. Some of the tense scenes are well written, but it's just all like it's like they've made it the wrong way around and they've edited it badly together and they've put scenes in the wrong place.
Gav: I wouldn't be surprised if when they've done a cut of it, they've been like, OK, let's just add in this bit of storyline and possibly done some reshoots here and there. It wouldn't surprise me. It's just it's it's meddling, producer meddling, and it's trying to continue a story which has had issues as a franchise and you don't have the fucking captain on the ship with you, which happens to be John Carpenter. So it's just got a problem and it is, yes, the same producers and you do have Donald Pleasance, you do have Daniel Harris, and you do have the same not that's Friday 13th, you have a you've got a lot of the same stuff and it is Michael and there's a lot of things going on and there is a story, but they're just trying to be too serious and it's which is so contrary to them adding funny sound effects for a fucking couple of policemen in it, which is not serious. So it just seems like it's the ship is now being piloted by, you know, Well, they're milking it, aren't they? They're milking the franchise at this point. Money in the eyes. That's, you know, it's just not correct.
Dan: Whereas the fifth, Jason, is loved by a lot of people and the fifth, Freddie, you know, we'll talk about that in a moment, but the fifth, Freddie is still loved by a lot of people out there, you know, so some of these franchises can keep going. But by now, you know, we we've had four movies, three of them with Michael and them, and the fourth one wasn't loved.
Gav: You could, like, the next Friday 13th is going to be the 13th one, which seems crazy. You can see it right now, F13, just call it that.
Dan: I keep saying this.
Gav: F13, and you just go out there, and what you do.
Dan: It's what it's called, sorry to interrupt you. I would call it this, the 13th Friday.
Gav: The 13th Friday, yeah, or F13, the 13th Friday. That's like a tagline. But what you do, is you just do the movie which we all know, and we'll be like, yeah, it's cool, it's all right. It's hard because it's been such a long time, so it'd be up there, people go, oh, I reckon it's going to be, and they're going to try and hype themselves up.
Dan: But you've got to think, if it just did the same formula, you need a big guy to play Jason, someone imposing. I'm trying to think of somebody who's not an A-lister who would do it. Probably a wrestler or somebody that could play him really well. But yeah, you need a 6'5 guy, built like a brick shit house.
Gav: But they just have to make the same movie that everyone knows and it would be fine. You'd be like, yeah, it's fine.
Dan: And what they would do is, because it would be like a celebration, because it would be the 13th one, throw in loads of nods, you know, oh, someone might mention Tommy Jarvis.
Gav: You could make it very meta like Screamers. You could be clever with it and try and make it a little bit like that.
Dan: You could have Corey Feldman in it briefly. It just has Corey Feldman even, and that would be funny. It could be anything, but. And that's how bad this film is. We're now talking about a fantasy for a 13th movie.
Gav: One of the films I've not really seen is A New Nightmare, which is a meta, Nightmare on Elm Street, isn't it?
Dan: One of my favorites. When you watch it, it's the pre-screen.
Gav: Yeah, it's where they get into. Yeah. And it's funny because we're just saying that they could do that for Friday, a 13th even, like a new one. But they could do it and they could do it well. It won't even be that hard to fucking do. I think it's probably it's probably all tied up in fucking who owns raw, Paramount owns something, then someone else owns something else, I'm sure.
Dan: But I think it's a thumbs down for me and a thumbs down from Gav.
Trailer: Yeah.
Dan: For Halloween 5, The Revenge Of Michael Myers.
Gav: It's it can sit in the toilet.
Dan: Yeah. And I'll keep my VHS copy. And I'm never not saying I'll never watch it again, because I do like some years I do like to sit through them all.
Gav: Yeah. You like to torture yourself at times.
Dan: Yeah. But yeah. And then next year we're going to be doing Halloween 6, The Curse Of Michael Myers with Paul Rudd. So that'll be interesting.
Gav: It's not good. And that's another one of our stories. Just like, what the fuck?
Dan: Yeah. And that really goes down the whole cult satanic.
Gav: It's making shit up again.
Dan: Yeah. And they throw in more children and relatives of Michael. I think that's the problem is Michael's killed all of his relatives by now.
Gav: What threat is Jamie to him?
Dan: Exactly.
Gav: Like, what can she actually do?
Dan: Now he's like, who's my second?
Gav: It's literally like he's autistic. And that is the only thing he's got tunnel vision on that. Even though there's no threat, actually. Hang on, Michael. Michael. She's not good at anything. She literally doesn't want to be in 10 feet of you. She has no interest in you in a slightest.
Dan: She's mute. She can't even speak.
Gav: She doesn't care. Why do you have to kill her? She can't do anything.
Dan: I'd understand if she was a full grown Linda Hamilton Sarah Connor.
Gav: Michael Myers could be in Bermuda shorts, sitting in Bermuda on the beach, sipping on pina coladas, legs up, happy anything. Still have the mask on. Have the sun tan everywhere, but underneath.
Dan: It would be a different story if Michael Myers found out he's related to Sarah Connor. You know, he's like, oh shit, she actually is a threat. I need to go and take her out.
Gav: Or I'm going to get out of here because she might get me. It's almost a bit like a paedophile, really, isn't it? Because taking power of a young child.
Dan: But then that's kind of what they did with the new three Halloweens is they turned Jamie D. Curtis' character more into a Sarah Connor type.
Gav: I've just called Michael Myers a paedophile.
Dan: He did? I mean, he's not a great guy. He kills dogs. He was going to kill a child.
Gav: I wonder, I hope he doesn't have sexual flutters.
Dan: He's got nothing going on down there.
Gav: He's probably all mashed.
Dan: Loomis has tried.
Gav: I'm just going to try to see if it still works, Michael. Oh, no. Oh, God, that's the next thing. Now we're classing Loomis as a fucking pedo.
Dan: No, Michael is a full grown man.
Gav: Oh, God. With the mask on and he's just a Weinstein thing going on now. Dr. Weinstein.
Dan: Let's move on. Let's go. Let's get Bill Murray in here, I think.
Gav: Bill, please help me.
Dan: Please rescue us from Dr. Loomis.
Gav: Oh, God. It's all gone pedophilic. Bill.
Bill: Hi, welcome back to World of the Strange.
Gav: Why are you protecting him? She's mute, neither alone. Tell me. She's like screaming inside. I can't tell you, you fucking idiot. I'm mute. Tell me.
Dan: I can't. The nurse is like, she hasn't spoken for a year.
Gav: That's not the tactic. We've been trying different methods to get to speak. Screaming out with your alcohol smelling breath is not going to dirt.
Dan: Right in her face. Well, thank you, Bill, very much for your introduction. The World Of The Strange isn't really that strange, but it is horror related. As we are doing our annual franchise face-off, I thought we'd have a look at some horror film franchises that have just been going on for a long time. Some of them, you're like, what? How are there that many of them? I thought that would be fun. I know we covered Amityville and the 45 spinoffs of Amityville, so we won't be covering that one too much. But I thought it'd be fun to go down a list of horror franchises and just discuss them, discuss when they should have ended, perhaps, or when it works, when they've made like 10 of a franchise and stuff like that. So if you're happy to do that, we can jump in. Obviously, we won't do about Friday the 13th too much, but there are a lot of...
Gav: Yeah, we have just been chatting about those kind of in a way.
Dan: We will be covering our next Friday the 13th episode we do, which will probably be in 2025 now. We will be covering part 7, The New Blood, which is basically Carrie versus Jason, and part 8, Jason Takes Manhattan. So we'll have a lot of fun with those two. Yeah, and then they even bring a bounty hunter in one of those as well, don't they? In the final Friday, there's that guy that's following Jason around. And actually, there is a weird...
Gav: I can't remember... Do you remember Jason passes himself between the bodies? I've got a DVD box set and the Blu-ray box set play, all of them only go up to 8. So number 9 is the one you're speaking of, isn't it?
Dan: Yeah, that's right.
Gav: And I don't... I can't remember that film at all.
Dan: That was the one where Freddy's hand shows up at the end, and pulls Jason into hell.
Gav: Yeah, I can't remember that, so that's going to be really fun to watch. And I actually probably need to pick it up for the collection.
Dan: Well, there we go. So that's... There's 12 of those. Amityville, there's actually...
Gav: Oh, dude, there's loads in there.
Dan: Yeah, but officially...
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: There's only 7.
Gav: Ah, okay, cool.
Dan: So you've got Amityville 2, The Possession, Amityville 3D, oh boy, the Amityville Horror, and then you've got a couple of new ones, like The Amityville Awakening, and a few other ones. But if you wanted to, you could go down a really crazy route, and there's about 30 or 40 of those. Now, there is a horror movie franchise I wanted to talk about. It's actually a comedy franchise, and they've just announced, the Wayans Brothers have just announced, they're making the sixth one.
Gav: Oh, yes.
Dan: Scary movie. Now, the first one is brilliant, and we will be covering that at some point. Scary movie 2 is fun.
Gav: I watched, that's another film I picked up at a charity shop, and I didn't have the internet. I was just like, I'm going to watch this, and it was fine.
Dan: Yeah, I didn't really like 4 and 5. I don't really remember 5.
Gav: Well, the Wayans Brothers weren't on them, were they?
Dan: No, it was the Naked Gun guys for the last couple of years.
Gav: But it was, it's just good.
Dan: But the Wayans have got the rights back and they're going to be doing number 6. So be interested to see what they do with that. Especially given sort of where horror is now and Jordan Peele's input, you know, and other black directors inputs into horror. It'd be interesting to see what they play with with that.
Gav: I expect a lot of A24 and Blumhouse stuff.
Dan: Yeah, they'll have fun taking the mickey out of some of those guys. A franchise that it all blends into one for me, Underworld. I've seen them all. Wow. There's five of them.
Gav: Only for Kate Beckinsale, I'm sure.
Dan: Well, she's not even in a couple of them. They replaced her with somebody else for a couple, but then she came back for the last one. But there's Underworld, then there's Underworld Evolution, Underworld Rise Of The Lycans, Underworld Awakening and Underworld Blood Wars.
Gav: Rise Of My Lycan.
Dan: I just don't remember much about them, really. I kind of thought it was called it werewolves were fighting vampires, but the effects were awful, really, in hindsight.
Gav: Yeah, yeah.
Dan: What about Saw?
Gav: Saw, oh yeah.
Dan: Yeah, there's ten of those.
Gav: Fuck me, I saw part three. There's a bit where something just makes me feel sick. And I felt sick. I went, not watching these anymore. Don't like them. Don't know why I'm still watching them. Just don't enjoy this type of film, even though I love Hostel.
Dan: The first three are all good. The first three are very good. Two and three aren't really like one, as we know. We've covered one. And one is more of a, it's not a torture porn film.
Gav: It's a thriller.
Dan: It's more of a thriller. It's like seven.
Gav: It's a horror thriller.
Dan: But they really went down that torture porn route for two and three. And then obviously they continue a very convoluted, but cleverly woven storyline.
Gav: Every time, because I had got to the point where I had stopped watching it, every time you'd see up in a banner somewhere, a new Saw movie, you're like, how? How is this?
Dan: Well, there's an 11th one coming out. Of course there is. But I haven't seen Saw X. The 10th one is the only one I haven't seen, which came out in 2023. Apparently good, but I'm not rushing to see it. Another franchise that we've covered all of now, but they are making a 6th one, is Final Destination, Tony Todd.
Gav: They are, as we talked about, very fun, accessible films. It's the same, like Friday 13th, doing the same thing every time, but that's what we're here for.
Dan: And one of the better, newer franchises, and they're 25 years old now, but they're one of the better franchises. There's only five of them, but they are making a 6th at the moment. Yeah, they're great, great.
Gav: Fairly beloved, aren't they?
Dan: Much like Freddy, you're there to see how people are going to die, and what inventive ways they're going to die, you know? That's what it's for, really.
Gav: Have you got Paranormal Activity?
Dan: Yes, they're on here. I'll get to that in a moment. Resident Evil, Gav, how many of those are there?
Gav: Five?
Dan: Seven.
Gav: Seven?
Dan: Yeah. Well, six from the original ones, and then they did that new one in 2021, Welcome To Raccoon City, which is kind of like a soft reboot, which I really enjoyed. I really enjoyed that one.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: Okay. But the ones with Miliakovich, there are six of those in total. And again, they go so crazily off the video games, and I didn't know what was going on by the end of them. I liked the first one and I kind of like the second one. The third one was good in the desert with the vultures who were zombies.
Gav: I can remember that being okay.
Dan: Yeah, but after that, I just couldn't tell you what was going on. Couldn't tell you.
Gav: Again, no, it's just going, right, we could do another one. Right, okay, so we need to tap the story longer now, do we?
Dan: It's Paul WS. Anderson basically putting his wife, it's Rob Zombie all over again really. He's putting his wife, you know, with Miniakowicz and all of them. That's it really. Another franchise that isn't talked about very long, we've never covered any of them, is the Piranha franchise. There's only four of them though.
Gav: Yeah, so what's that, the original late 70s?
Dan: Yeah, Piranha 78.
Gav: And the new one, then the 3DD.
Dan: Which as we know is James Cameron's first direction.
Gav: Oh, of course, Slimefish.
Dan: The Spawning, yeah, that was 82. And then Piranha 3D and Piranha 3DD. Hello.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: 3D's got... I enjoyed the two new ones.
Gav: Yeah, don't mind. I like Kenny Brooks' Swimming, isn't it?
Dan: I like Kenny Brooks' Swimming, too.
Gav: It's very good.
Dan: Well, we talked about this earlier, because you went to the cinema to watch it. Hellraiser.
Gav: Yeah, there's a few of them in there.
Dan: Six of them. And then the remake in 22.
Gav: Remake's good.
Dan: I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard it's good.
Gav: Oh, dude, watch it.
Dan: I like the first three, really like the first three, because they're quite... If you just watch them as a little trilogy, it's very tightly knit.
Gav: We could do both the Hellraisers for an episode.
Dan: Well, I was thinking of us doing Hellraiser. Oh, you mean Hellraiser 87 and Hellraiser 22?
Gav: Yeah, because...
Dan: That's interesting.
Gav: Because the new one is a female pinhead.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: So it's a different film.
Dan: That would be cool, because I had it pending that we do Hellraiser one and two. But that might make it more interesting.
Gav: I think that would be good, because then we can compare them.
Dan: OK. Let me change that, then. That sounds good. Yeah, we've got Hellraiser 87. Then we had Hellraiser 2, which came out the year later. Basically, you know, they're like, Oh my God, we might have another Freddy on our hands. This is great. Let's make another one. Then they made Hellraiser 3, Hell on Earth 92, which I quite enjoyed. Hellraiser Bloodline, Hellraiser Hellseeker.
Gav: I saw one of them once. It's like in Israel or somewhere, maybe, or something.
Dan: I think that's number three.
Gav: I feel like it's later in that, but I don't know.
Dan: And I think Hellraiser Judgment is the one in space.
Gav: Wow.
Dan: Yeah. Pinhead in space. Him, Jason and Epikul.
Trailer: I'm from Hell.
Gav: Where's that, they're in space. I don't actually know. Okay.
Dan: Well, a franchise, I know you're a fan of the original, definitely, and probably some of them is quite a big franchise as well on paper. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre franchise.
Gav: Oh, yeah. I kind of am. I do like bits and bobs of a lot of the films, but I have also issues with the films as well.
Dan: Incidentally, that series I watched.
Gav: It's fun to have a liver face running around with a chainsaw there.
Dan: That series I watched, 101 Moments That Would Scare You, I think number one was the Leatherface Reveal when he slams the door shut in the very first one in 74.
Gav: Yeah. That first film is kind of like the way Psycho did it without being graphic and gratuitous and just being making it so unsettling that your mind conjures up the gall.
Dan: There's barely any blood in it.
Gav: It's a very well crafted film.
Dan: But the name alone, the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Gav: I still like the Yorkshire Pudding Massacre that I had up the other day. That was... That was, I wouldn't. As soon as I saw that person with a Yorkshire Pudding mask on his face, I was like, that's the Yorkshire Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Dan: That was unsettling.
Gav: It was.
Dan: Well, they made part two in 1986. So eight years later, and I love number two. It's a Canon film. It's got Dennis Hopper in it.
Gav: I've not seen it since I was in San Francisco with one of my two videotapes I owned on repeat.
Dan: I think we'll be coming back to it.
Gav: OK, I haven't seen it since then.
Dan: I think we're going to do a Canon, another Canon special.
Gav: I watched it too many times.
Dan: Then they did Leatherface... Well, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3, Leatherface.
Gav: In my apartment where I was living, there's a friend who lived up the top floor and he had a girl over. It was like a date where he was like, oh dude, we've got a videotape we could watch, watch a movie. And I was like, I've got two movies. I've got From Dusk Till Dawn Part 2, or Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2. That's the lot. So which one do you fancy? Texas Chainsaw Massacre, yeah, go for it, man.
Dan: I actually don't really remember 1990s Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 Leatherface. Although I would have seen it, but I don't remember it. I certainly remember 1994's Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Next Generation, which is the one that René Zellweger and, all right, all right, all right, all right, all right, all right, all right, all right.
Gav: I totally lost respect for Matthew McConaughey when he was on an interview, I think I've said about this before. And he listed all of it, he goes, I write a list every day, all the stuff I got to do. I sound like Elvis more than. And he writes down what he's doing. And the one of them, he writes it. So I write down, I'm going to have a shit. But we have to do that. And because he did that, and that means that when he's done that, he can cross it off to make himself feel better. I was like, fake, you're fake as fuck. That just gave me an insight into Matthew McConaughey. I was like, fake as fuck. No, not into you anymore.
Dan: So what I like to do is just do a little shit.
Gav: Just do a little shit in the toilet. Take it off. But that's a false.
Dan: I watched an interesting interview with him where he said the reason he got that role was because he read for a different character and they didn't like him because he'd never been in many films really at that point. And then he went back in and said, I want to read for the psycho. And they were like, you're too good looking. We don't think that's going to work. Okay, you've got five minutes. Here's my secretary, try and scare her. So he went into the kitchen and got a wooden spoon and basically made her cry. And they were like, you've got the, you've got the role. But him and René Zellweger don't really like to talk about that. The fact that was their first film.
Gav: He's a great actor man from Connolly. He's good in frailty. He's brilliant.
Dan: I'm a big fan of the 2003 remake, the Anchor Bay text exchange massacre 2003.
Gav: Yeah, it wasn't too bad.
Dan: Thought that was good. I don't remember 2006.
Gav: Is that the one with Scott Eastwood?
Dan: In 2003.
Gav: Yeah, no, it'd probably be later on, wouldn't it? It'd been a later one.
Dan: I think that was 2006.
Gav: Yeah, maybe.
Dan: Then there was Texas Chainsaw 3D, which came out in 2013. Then there was Leatherface, which didn't need it. It was like The Batman Begins. Is that the Netflix one? No, that was the one that came out in 2022, which you and I both loved.
Gav: And what was that called?
Dan: Just Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Gav: It's so hard to keep up with these names. Why can't they just have part one, part two, part three, part four?
Dan: Yeah, why can't they call that part eight? But we both of us really liked that one, didn't we?
Gav: Yeah, I didn't like the social media bit. But at the same time, it's kind of funny, but it's a bit forced. But that, I liked it.
Dan: Let's get this one out of the way. Halloween, there are a lot of those. How many do you think there are off the top of your head? Can you think? 13.
Gav: 13?
Dan: Yeah, if you include, so there's Halloween, 78. This is the confusing...
Gav: How can there be 13? Oh, yeah, of course there is.
Dan: Sure. Because we've got 5, then we've got Curse Of Michael Myers, then we've got H20, then we've got Resurrection, then we've got Halloween, Rob Zombie, 1 and 2, then we've got Halloween 2018, 21 and 2022. So the confusing thing about the Halloween franchise is there's 3 films in it that are called Halloween. Do you know what I mean?
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: I'm going to watch Halloween tonight. Okay, which one? 78? No. Oh, you're going to watch the 2007 one?
Gav: Well, I had this with Daisy. She's like, I want to watch the original Halloween movie. Have you not seen the original one? She goes, I don't know. I've seen Berber Bear and she had watched one on Netflix. Then we start watching the original and she's like, I've seen this. This was on Netflix. I said, for God's sake, but Charlie says, Charlie's like, I've never seen this. I said, what do you mean? I've been educating you on horror for years. What do you mean you've never seen this? I've never seen it. They hadn't watched it. Then we were going to do part two and then Daisy's really confused what's part two. I was like, it's in the hospital. I said, but not Halloween Kills, which is quite in the hospital. I was like, oh my God, this is too hard. I said, have you seen the Rob Zombie? She likes White Zombie. I was like, yeah, he made Halloween, really? I was like, yeah. I think I've seen one of them. Well, it's a different take on it. I think actually when we come to review that, I'm going to have a lot more fun reviewing the Rob Zombie Halloween movie. Yeah, the second one. Even he doesn't like the second one. Compared to reviewing the new ones and these ones we're doing right now.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: I'll have a lot more fun with Rob Zombie and I love Halloween H2O. I'm a big fan of that movie.
Dan: It's one of my favorites in the franchise.
Gav: And Halloween Resurrection over the years, because I actually got it from HMV and took it back the same day I bought the DVD and demanded my money back because it was so shit and they gave me my money back. I was so inflated. I was like, ah, this is awful. I can't believe they gave me my money back. Buster Rhymes was terrible. But for some reason, I even had it on in the background over Halloween, for some reason, I kind of like it now because it's shit. I like to see it's shit stuff. I don't know. I've kind of been to it now.
Dan: It's very much a product of its time. Because it was cashing in on that whole teen slasher.
Gav: But also mixing with the big brother era.
Dan: Yeah, the social media side of things as well, yeah.
Gav: So it was very funny. And so it's a real funny watch now. And I think it'd be really fun to review.
Dan: Well, the next franchise is...
Trailer: You're gonna cheat, motherfucker!
Dan: Brilliant. There's only four of films in the next franchise. But I personally feel they're all quite strong. I'm talking about The Hills Have Ice. I know you didn't really like the first one, maybe we covered it. But I really like it.
Gav: I need to... Sarah's saying to me, oh no, I'll watch those originally. Because she says she prefers the new ones.
Dan: Yeah, the remakes are good.
Gav: And I need to watch them again. I think they're quite brutal. But I remember them being fairly well crafted film.
Dan: Yeah, and they came out in 2006 and 2007, the remakes. So, yeah, pretty decent. We've covered the entire Jules Franchise. We won't bother going on about that too much. There's four of them.
Gav: It's because early 2000s, we had this French New Wave gore thing going on. And I've been up really open about all of a sudden, oh, we're now all of a sudden, we're obsessed with these French horror movies that are coming out.
Dan: And I think that, that then...
Gav: Then people go, and that's making money. Right, throw gore into your movies. So then we had, and we had like Alexander Archer, wasn't he? He did a second, he was the director.
Dan: I think he did, yeah.
Gav: So we were getting those guys come over. So the brutal side of it is kind of introduced. It's quite nice, though, to have that coming in again, actually.
Dan: And it also, then it kind of opened the door for Hostel and therefore George Paul films.
Gav: It did, it did. And the Rape Revenge films were in, still. Because there's another series. I Spitting At Grave.
Dan: Yeah, I haven't got that on this list, but there are a lot of those, particularly the remakes, the new reboots. Predator.
Gav: Nice. New one, I can't wait for the new one. You excited for the new one?
Dan: Oh, I am. Well, let's talk about, I'll get to that in just a sec, then. So there's Predator 87, which we've covered. Predator 2 1990, which we've covered. Aliens Vs Predator, which we've covered as well. Then there is the family, ABP 2 Requiem.
Gav: And not just because you can't see anything when you're watching it. Then there's Predators, which I'm a fan of that film.
Dan: The Predator, which you didn't like, but I did like.
Gav: Oh, God, that's awful.
Dan: And then Prey, which came out in 2022, which blew us all away. It came out on Disney Plus.
Gav: And then the only thing is, people don't still don't even know because it doesn't say Predator. People still don't know Prey. At the amount of times I've had a conversation and said, I mean, a love of Predator. Have you not seen Prey? No, what's that? It's basically Predator in the terms of like Native Americans. Oh, OK. It's really, really good. Oh, check it out. And people won't check it out.
Dan: Well, they made a sequel to that, but that's still in production. However, the director revealed he secretly made another Predator film as well. So we're going to get two Predator films in the next two years.
Gav: Does that mean they're going to be straight to home with Disney?
Dan: I think one of them might be streaming, one of them is going to be cinema. I think the streaming one is the secret one. And I got a feeling that's the one that was rumored where Predator shows up in Fugal, ancient Japan and has to go against a samurai warrior. Can you imagine how good that would be? So good. And then there's another one, which I think, judging by the... I can't remember what the title is now, but they're not giving anything away. But it sounds like it's going to be in the Wild West, the Old West.
Gav: Will Smith could be there.
Dan: Oh, I hope not. Fuck you now. So let's just slap in the Predator.
Gav: Wild, Wild West!
Dan: And the Predator, he slaps in the mouth and goes, Sssst!
Gav: Up to the hands, say to the Predator's face, Slap!
Dan: Keep my alien's mouth name out of your...
Gav: Motherfucking mouth!
Dan: Yeah, but anyway, Predator, decent, cannot wait for the two new ones. You're one of your favorite franchises, and it's probably the biggest fine footage franchise, is Paranormal Activity.
Gav: I am a big fan.
Dan: Seven of those.
Gav: Yeah, yeah. I didn't like the last one. The Next Of Kin?
Dan: Eight if you include the Tokyo one, but that is supposed to be a spin-off of it.
Gav: Okay, yeah, I don't know, I've not seen it.
Dan: But yeah, Paranormal Activity, one, two, three, four, the marked ones, the ghost dimension, and Next Of Kin. I haven't seen Next Of Kin, which is the 2021.
Gav: I wasn't into it.
Dan: I'm gonna go back through them at some point, because I've got to say, the first one that terrifies me still. I find it hard to watch, especially if I'm on my own.
Gav: It's a great film.
Dan: It's terrifying. You know, it's really scary. They did a great job of the tension and stuff in there. I don't really remember them. And again, the plots do tie in really neatly, if I remember rightly, all the way through. There's some time travel and stuff as well. So.
Gav: Yeah, they're fun films.
Dan: I have to go back through those. I'd love to, I think for our next, because we're doing a fine footage one next year. I think we're going to have to cover the first Paranormal Activity, because it is a granddaddy of it already.
Gav: Not a granddaddy. It's a stepdad.
Dan: Yeah, it's a staple. Well, I'll tell you what isn't the staple, but there are five of them now. I've only seen the first two, and that's Insidious.
Gav: Oh, yeah.
Dan: Thank you now. I've seen Insidious. I actually thought it was quite good. And again, it was quite scary. Insidious 2, Insidious 3, Insidious The Last Key, and Insidious The Red Door came out in 2023. I haven't seen the last two of those.
Gav: No, I lost interest.
Dan: I'm not really that interested. I just thought the first one was a really good, creepy...
Gav: But then it happens to be Blumhouse, and Easy To Make Money. And they're well-produced films. You can't not give it that. They're very well-produced films. Some of the scarier stuff is great, the fodder. And they know what they're doing, though. Blumhouse, originally, you looked at it as a company, is in like 824s now, but then it just turned into... I don't know. Do you know what I mean? It's a massive thing. So it's harder to know when a Blumhouse film comes out, if it's actually going to be any good or not, where before you had a bit more of a mark of seal of approval.
Dan: You'll have fun with Megan, I promise. Just go into it.
Gav: Is it on a streamer?
Dan: It's just hit Netflix this week. That's how I watched it. Okay. I was really excited to see it pop up on there. Couldn't wait.
Gav: I might do.
Dan: It's the girl from Get Out, Alison Williams, who I'm a big fan of as well. So great stuff. Well, let's talk about Child's Play. We're working our way through that franchise. We've covered the first four of those. There are eight of them, if you include the remake, which came out in 2019. There's also a series, isn't there? Which I haven't seen any of, and I hear it's very, very good. But they got it right with that one for the most part, because Chucky is a great character. I didn't like it when they sort of spin off with the little kid perhaps as much.
Gav: It's funny because that series went the same route as Freddy and Mole Comical.
Dan: Yeah. It just suddenly, by the time it got to the fourth one, it just went brighter, Chucky. Here we go.
Gav: I've not seen the TV show, but apparently it's all right. Yeah.
Dan: Really good things about it. I will check it out when I get some time. Yeah, I do. The Exorcist.
Gav: Yeah. I'm looking forward to covering part two.
Dan: Yeah. Well, our next episode will be part two and part three.
Gav: Is that next episode?
Dan: Next episode is part two and part three.
Gav: Fuck me. That's so cool.
Dan: Right now? I'm sorry.
Gav: Later. I've never ever seen part two.
Dan: Yeah. Well, I like it, but-
Gav: Really?
Dan: It's hateful.
Gav: I've heard it's a piece of shit.
Dan: I like it because it's such a-
Gav: Piece of shit.
Dan: Weird mess and Linda Blair is trying and it's just, but obviously the third one-
Gav: Tell me. Okay, cool. Don't tell me nothing about it. I've never seen Trader. I know nothing of it.
Dan: But the third one has got the greatest jump scare in horror cinema.
Gav: Yeah, great.
Dan: People say. Then you have that mess of-
Trailer: George, she's cut.
Dan: You had the 2004 Exorcist The Beginning, which they then re-edited and released a year later as a separate film called Dominion. How can you do that? I've watched them both and I was just like, what is the point in there?
Gav: How can you do that? I know the point is they're going to make money, but how do you sleep at nights?
Dan: Then they released Exorcist The Believer last year, 2023, which I haven't seen yet. I've heard is not very good.
Gav: Did I watch that one?
Dan: It's got two girls in that one apparently.
Gav: I didn't see that one. That's also had the fingerprints of that guy from Halloween, the recent Halloween films, wasn't it?
Dan: That's right.
Gav: That's pretty much shut him down from doing any more horror I think now.
Dan: Indeed.
Gav: Oh, yes, because they ended up spending a ridiculous amount of money to get the rights for the film. Put it out and everybody's like, shit, and they lost a bunch of money because they've got more exorcist films coming out because they've spent so much money on claiming the rights. So they have to do that for at least for their accountants and the tax people at least they have to go and do to get some tax write-offs. So I think there is some exorcist movies. Oh look, why do you keep talking?
Dan: Well there's six Omen movies. We've covered the first one.
Gav: Six Omen films.
Dan: Yeah, Omen 2, Omen The Final Conflict, then there was Omen 4, which is where it's a little girl. Then they remade it in 2006, which is kind of a bit of a Poltergeist remake. What was the point?
Gav: Oh, they had a TV show as well.
Dan: It did. I've watched it. I've seen the whole thing. I talked about it. It's not really anything to do with the movie, but it's not very good. Then the first Omen came out in 2024, which I really, really enjoyed. Did you watch that? It's on Netflix.
Gav: Yeah, it's good.
Dan: I really enjoyed that. I was surprised. We're talking about Freddy today. There's obviously five, six, seven, eight, nine of those in total, not including, oh, that does include the remake. The god awful remake of Nightmare on Hill Street, which, have you seen that?
Gav: No, never watched it. I knew I had this inkling that it wouldn't be very good.
Bill: It's awful.
Gav: So awful.
Dan: But the Freddy's for the most part are great. We'll get into Freddy when we come on to the next film. The Purge is one that just keeps on ticking, isn't it?
Gav: Yeah, yeah. I enjoyed the first season of the show, TV show. Oh, yeah.
Dan: I've not seen it, but I've heard good things.
Gav: Because that's what I wanted with that. I feel with The Purge, I want to watch a whole landscape of The Purge rather than individual stories almost a little bit.
Dan: On a tangent, there's a new movie coming out, which is a bit like The Purge, which I cannot wait, called Werewolf, and it's basically The Purge. But Planet Earth has basically got a super moon, and it turns half the planet into werewolves. So we've got this big dome over all the cities to keep the moon off of it. And once every couple of months, they open the dome and let the werewolves run free, and you can go hunting them if you want or not. So it's kind of a futuristic werewolf hunting action film coming out in December this year. But the Purge, I really enjoyed the first couple. The third one and the fourth one, I don't remember them at all. And then I haven't seen the Forever Purge in 2021. I don't know if you've seen all of them.
Gav: No, I haven't seen all of them. I've seen bits and bobs. The Exorcist Deceiver. Exorcist Father Harris investigates Teenage Amelie's demonic possession by Asmodeus in Hazelwood. Joined by Dr. Mom, he faces visions. Dr. Mom, not Dr. Mom.
Dan: Okay.
Gav: He faces visions, deaths, paranoia, battling ancient evil, threatening to consume the town.
Dan: Because they did that with the... What was the other series they did?
Gav: Father Daniel Harris, not Danielle Harris.
Dan: There was another series I watched that was a bit like that. I can't remember now. But Jamie would kill us. Jamie J. Sammons would kill us if we didn't mention howling. The Conjuring.
Gav: Oh, I thought you said howling.
Dan: No, because she's a huge...
Gav: Because there's a howling franchise.
Dan: There is. Yeah, there is. I don't think I've got that one on my list.
Gav: I'm a big fan of that one in the castle. It's a murder mystery.
Dan: There's eight or nine of them.
Gav: That's a good one. I watched that again with Sarah, not that long ago. And I was like, it's decent, isn't it? She's like, yeah, it's not bad. It's still now.
Dan: I watched all nine of them for my werewolf Halloween. I did a couple of years back when I did just werewolf movies for my 31 Days.
Gav: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Dan: But no, The Conjuring. She's a big fan of the Conjuring film.
Gav: So she coined the one of hers, didn't she?
Dan: She did, coined that phrase, copyright. So let's go through these. So you got the Conjuring 2013, then you got Annabelle 2014, then the Conjuring 2, which I remember being very good 2016, then Annabelle creation the following year. So it's not almost every year. Then the following year, the nun, then the following year, Annabelle comes home. Two years later, the Conjuring 3, The Devil Made Me Do It. Two years later, the nun 2.
Gav: The Devil Made Me Do It.
Dan: The nun 2. I have only seen the Conjuring 1 and 2 and Annabelle 1 and 2. I haven't seen the nun. I haven't seen Annabelle 3. I haven't seen the Conjuring 3. And I haven't seen the nun 2. Are they worth watching, Jamie? Let us know. No, I'm not raising them. She's gonna say, yeah, of course. I'm actually interested to go back and watch them because they're making money, aren't they? You know, they keep making them. And they released 8 films in 3 years. Oh, sorry, in 10 years, sorry, not 3. That would be mental. Well, you talked about this franchise, the next one earlier, and that is VHS.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: I didn't realize how many of these there are.
Gav: There's a few now. Yeah.
Dan: VHS, VHS 2, VHS Viral. You could coin Siren, which is a spin-off. That is included in the franchise, apparently. Have you seen Siren?
Gav: No.
Dan: Which is a spin-off of the girl who is really a demon.
Gav: Oh, yeah.
Dan: VHS 94, VHS 99, VHS 85, and then VHS Beyond.
Gav: And they've got a new one. They've got a new one coming.
Dan: I would like to go back and watch those at some point, I think.
Gav: Yes, we did actually discuss about seeing if we could get hold of them to do a segment ourselves as Deadbolt Films, but we need to actually make a feature film to prove ourselves. So we didn't bother. But yeah, they're all right.
Dan: Wreck. How many of those?
Gav: Four.
Dan: Six, if you include the two remakes.
Gav: Oh, OK. I suppose.
Dan: The English language ones. But yes, you're right.
Gav: Four.
Dan: Wreck 2, Wreck Genesis and Wreck Apocalypse.
Gav: Apocalyptic Glory.
Dan: I think Wreck 4.
Gav: Is that like a Nicker Blocker Glory? Nicker Blocker Glory.
Dan: It's a big ice cream with a cherry on top and milkshake and stuff in a big glass. It's absolutely delicious. Scream, as we know, there's six of those and there's a seventh one in production. I haven't seen the sixth one, but it hits UK Netflix next week, so I will be watching.
Gav: Funny, I've just taken a subscription out for Paramount because my mom wants to watch some more Yellowstone again. I'll be watching Tulsa King with Sylvester Stenomish. Which I quite like. It's not a bad show, actually. But they've got all the screams. I was thinking I'd probably need to watch that new one. I guess.
Dan: Yeah, I'm going to watch it when it hits Netflix. I will.
Gav: I'll watch it.
Dan: I've really enjoyed number five. It really shocked me how good it was.
Gav: Yeah, and I didn't like it.
Dan: I preferred it. I preferred number five over three and four and possibly two.
Gav: Blasphemy.
Dan: I know. Alien movies, Gav.
Gav: Yep.
Dan: Nine of them.
Gav: Fuck me.
Dan: Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, Alien vs Predator, Alien vs Predator Requiem, Prometheus, Covenant. And most recently, we both really enjoyed Romulus. So we will probably be covering Romulus because we covered all of those.
Gav: And they got a new TV show coming out for Aliens.
Dan: They have and that looks great, doesn't it?
Gav: Not really looked into it because I don't want to spoil it. Yeah.
Dan: Well, I'm excited about it.
Gav: I think we're establishing in this massive world of Strange that there's a fucking lot of franchises out there in the horror world.
Dan: Indeed. And I just wanted to run through them really. I'm not going to go through any more than that. Yeah.
Gav: I'm getting bored.
Dan: So there's the there's the Evil Dead. There's the Night Of The Living Dead and all of the Romero ones as well. Actually, that is the end of my list.
Gav: Yeah, those loads. It's a funny thing with with the horror genre. You got all these franchises. You do, I suppose, a lot of things like Fast And Furious.
Dan: That's probably one of the biggest ones that isn't horror, isn't it?
Gav: Yeah, you do get them. But as you can tell from that list, definitely the horror world does a lot more. And it's just, again, people don't like new shit.
Dan: Well, that's what I wanted to ask you. Why do you think that the horror genre is the one that's got the most big franchises like this? Why is that, in your opinion?
Gav: I think it is the same as the reason why Hollywood generally do remakes and sequels because people don't like new things. And horror is a weird one because we don't like new things because we like the comfort blanket. And sometimes horror is quite often a comfort. So I reckon it's probably something there with it being really comforting, knowing we're going back in to watch Freddy. We know the killer already. We're not as scared, but we want to still be scared. Possibly something like that.
Dan: I think it's money as well because horror films are still seen as cheaper.
Gav: And money is always involved.
Dan: The cheaper genre, you know. And they're usually cheaper to make for the most part. And so you can bang out, especially back in the 80s and 90s, you can bang out one every couple of years. And you know you're going to make your money back plus a bit more because enough people will go and see it. You're not going to be a bagillionaire, but you're going to make your money back. And then you're like, well, we better make another one. So it's like a regular income for some of these franchises. You know what I mean? I mean, if you look at the Friday the 13th, as we said, almost every year they were coming out in the 80s, there was a new one almost every 18 months. It was just a regular income for Sean S. Cunningham and the guys that were involved in that.
Gav: I wonder if we didn't have home cinema and no one could, you know, it never evolved. And it was still just the only watch to film in the pictures in the cinema. If we'd have so much franchises, probably would. Probably would be exactly the same.
Dan: I can't really imagine going to watch Halloween 5 or...
Gav: Well, it was quite good because then you could... Well, for the collectors as well, there is that thing as well with horror fans. They are, we're all a bunch of nerds. We do like to have things like collections and stuff. We're all probably all autistic for all of us.
Dan: We're all completists. Like me, I'm a completist. I have to have seen everything.
Gav: And I like in collection, I like that. I've got to have that. Like I was saying before, I wanted the Halloween collection, etc. So I think the home market as well and the buying of stuff as well helps.
Dan: People that like to own the material copy of something.
Gav: Because I just, you know, I was guaranteed there's going to be examples of where toys and merchandise from a film's properties probably made more money than the film itself.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: You know, guaranteed.
Dan: I think probably the Star Wars toys.
Gav: But they wouldn't have done the Star Wars sales. But it would be up there.
Dan: In the 70s and 80s, they did.
Gav: They probably did before they hit like DVDs. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Dan: They made money.
Gav: There's various reasons, but I don't know. I think it works for us horror fans.
Dan: Yeah, it's interesting and it's fun. It's what makes the horror genre fun. Because you've got like part 10 of something, you know? You don't get that very often, but it also means that people that aren't into horror frown upon it. They go, oh, you're off to watch so and so, so and so part six of you. And, you know, they talk about that in Monster Squad. You know, he goes to watch his movie and his dad's like, what, you're going to part six? Didn't they kill him in the last one? And he's like, dad, he killed, they kill him and everyone comes back. That's the beauty of it.
Gav: And that's kind of the only reason the screen worked. A voice, it wouldn't have done it. It would have just been nothing because it went so meta at a time when horror was having issues with people going to actually watch it.
Dan: Yeah. But I thought that would be a fun conversation and one that would sort of, you know, it's interesting. That's always something, been something I'm very interested in watching because I like seeing where the franchises go. I like seeing where they start. They usually start quite strong and they usually go very, like with the Halloween franchise, it goes in a very strange direction. Or they just keep plodding along at the final destination. You get the same thing every time, but it works. You know, they try different things. Halloween 3, look at that, you know. I wonder if that would have worked for Michael, if maybe he'd got like a different mask in every one.
Gav: Wouldn't have worked. The franchise would have died.
Dan: Yeah, it would have, you're right. All right, well, talk at a time, Bill. Do you want to take us out here?
Gav: Is he going to kill us? Take us out?
Dan: He said to me, he's going to kill me. I'm going to see a giant god in my dream.
Bill: Wow.
Dan: Bill?
Gav: I'm going to see a giant dog.
Bill: Bye.
Dan: God backwards.
Bill: That's all the time we've got for this week on World Of The Strange. Next week, though. Hairless pets.
Trailer: His mother was a god-fearing woman. His birth was an unspeakable horror. Please don't let him do that! His life and death have been one incredible nightmare. But now all that is going to change because Freddy wants to become a daddy. One of his babies.
Dan: What's wrong with me?
Trailer: You just a little pregnant? Even if he has to adopt.
Dan: No! Do I want one baby's dream?
Trailer: When it comes to chills.
Dan: It happened while I was awake.
Trailer: When it comes to screams.
Gav0: Just start.
Trailer: When it comes to pure terror. Bon appétit! No one delivers. Like Freddy. Better buckle up.
Dan: All right, Kruger, this time it's for capes.
Trailer: A Nightmare on Elm Street 5, The Dream Child. When it comes to terror, remember, Freddy knows best.
Dan: A Nightmare on Elm Street 5, The Dream Child from 1989.
Gav: Was there ever the wet dream?
Dan: No, thank God. I wouldn't want Freddy in my wet dream, although Johnny Depp did have a wet dream in the first one in a way, didn't he?
Gav: A Nightmare on Elm Street 69, a wet dream.
Dan: Anyway, the pregnant Alice finds Freddy Krueger striking through the sleeping mind of her unborn child, hoping to be reborn into the real world.
Gav: I had a wet dream once when I was a...
Dan: Oh my God.
Gav: Like...
Dan: Straight in there.
Gav: I don't know, teenager, in my younger horny days, not that I've got any less horny, but I had a wet dream, woke up, and there was a cup of tea down by the side of my bed. So at some point, my mum had come in and just dropped off a cup of tea. I'm hoping I wasn't moaning away in my sleep.
Dan: Yeah. Well, hopefully you had the covers over you, so you wouldn't have been able to see anything.
Gav: Hopefully. I don't remember. Let's hope so. So I just wanted to let everyone know that.
Dan: Thanks for that.
Gav: I like to be open with everyone.
Dan: It's nice to have a cup of tea, giving to you while you're masturbating or having a wet dream.
Gav: I wasn't masturbating, was I? I didn't know I was doing it.
Dan: Well, you don't know what you were doing in your sleep.
Gav: Like you, you see, you get God, I just make a mess.
Dan: God speaks to me, you just have a.
Gav: I make a mess.
Dan: Well, talking of a mess, this film.
Gav: Oh, lovely sick way, sir.
Dan: This film is the definition of milking a franchise. Now, again, it's got some great things in it. We have come here for the effects. The effects are great for the time 1989. There's a fantastic moment where Freddy is morphing out of Alice towards the end. And there's some really good effects in it. The kills, with the Freddy movies, the kills are always great. Quite fun with Destination, as we mentioned earlier. You know what you're going to get with these movies. You're going to get some crazy kills, because he's coming into your dreams. So he might put you in a video game. He might put you in a comic book. He might turn you into this, that and the other. It's great. So that is fantastic. And that holds up well. I also like the fact that it follows on and it brings obviously Robert Englund. We've got to have him and some of the characters from the last movie into this one, or at least Alice anyway. But this film is, they didn't have a clue what they were doing. It's like they had an idea and they just couldn't get it past a certain point. So the whole film is essentially her and her buddies just chasing around two or three different locations.
Gav: Well, it was like the beginning of the film after like, I don't know, 13 minutes maybe or something like that. I'm thinking, there's no real plot at the moment. I just like, it's been a dream and then there wasn't. It's a gradual high school thing going on. And then it's a dream, straight into Dream Games. I feel like I'm in a TV series. It's the next episode continuing or something. What's happening?
Dan: Well, I do honestly feel like they just didn't have any ideas. So they just spliced together a few dream sequences and patched in a very interesting plot point about Freddy. You know, if you're pregnant and you've got a baby in you, that baby is dreaming. So yeah, that's a really interesting idea.
Gav: It is. It's taking pregnancy and doing that whole thing with babies, can babies dream and ask that question, which is really a great idea.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: And Freddy's weapon is dreams. That's how he gets to you. So that's good. But it's a very, very, very boring film. Um, broken up only by some good peels.
Gav: It's because the repetition.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: Of the same thing, doing over again, the same thing. There's nothing really, there's no strong point. Some strong, it's not like the train is on the track and you're on that train and that train's a story. And you're like, great, I'm on this and it's from here. And we've got to do it. Even though there is kind of, the story ends up being, it kind of explains itself as bone. Here you go, listeners. Here's a story. It's a nun trapped in a tower and you've got to save her in the dreams. That's kind of crazy, cocaine-fueled 80s type of film logic or something going on there.
Dan: You've got to release the nun's soul.
Gav: Which is kind of cool, but it just doesn't really do it. It kind of does, but not really.
Dan: Another plus point is it gives us a lot more of a backstory on the rumored son of a hundred maniac thing, because we actually see the nun that was, we don't see her raped by her husband.
Gav: Yeah, but it's so implied and it's really dark. When that lady realizes she's locked in that mentos.
Dan: And the man can't, I'm sure they're all here, a hundred of them, that's probably about right.
Gav: She says, wait, and then all of them look to her and they sort of pin her down. It's like, Oh God.
Dan: Robert Englund is one of those inmates.
Gav: Yeah, because he's in the dream when it comes out.
Dan: So it gives us more about that. And we deal a lot with Amanda Kruger, sister Amanda Kruger, the nun. But the way that it doesn't gel, the way that they have to release. So to break this down, listeners, if you haven't seen this for a while or if you've never seen it, essentially Alice is pregnant and Freddie is using her unborn baby's dreams to kill her friends and therefore make himself strong enough with their souls so that he can come back into the real world. In the meantime, her and her Scooby Doo gang are figuring out that Freddie's mum's corpse, because she killed herself, she's in limbo, so if they can find her corpse, she will be released from limbo, then her ghost can basically banish Freddie back to the depths of hell. That is a really flimsy storyline.
Gav: It's failing from the same as last time, the other film really, isn't it though? Essentially, I guess, you are going to get writers sometimes who write universes, but we only see one little bit. Like I know Fimu Jiggy, Sixth Sense director.
Dan: Shyamalan.
Gav: He writes massive universes. There's one character in his script which is a real bystander, will have a whole world going on with things going on. And some people do that and so if you were to follow on stories, you could be like, well, that's great, because the original writer had this outline where we were going. But when you start going, right, it's made money. Next one. Okay, you didn't write the first one. Watch it. Write us that. Yeah. Write us a movie like that. But, you know, keep the story going. Oh, okay.
Dan: And it can work. It can work these days with things like the Marvel films and stuff where you can tie them together.
Gav: Well, generally, if you had some of the same people doing it, where this was, for Halloween, sorry, the accounts, the cards, or accounts, cards, accounts, the producers there, it is that name is essentially main producers. So there is like, you'd hope with that, there would have been a more, but obviously it had the issues, but we're not talking about that film, we're talking about this series. So if it goes from different people, but this was always New Line, wasn't it? Because this is what saved New Line, wasn't it? New Line was the house that Freddie built.
Dan: Yep.
Gav: Yeah, it saved them from going bankrupt, essentially. So they knew what they were doing, and I reckon they said to the effects artist, fucking here's a bag of coke, go wild, have a laugh, make the most glorious, crazy shit you can, and we're just green light all the way.
Dan: Yeah, and I mentioned it, but there is actually a, there's a, and again, something that the first one has, which I liked, is the characters, and this one has got some characters that I like as well, and one of them is a comic book artist who's a real geek, and at one point he goes all, aha, and he goes into his comic book. Take my hand. No, take, take on me.
Gav: Oh, that one there.
Dan: And then he becomes his own creation, which is the Phantom Protector, or the Phantom Prowler, and he takes on Freddy, then Freddy becomes Super Freddy, so you get some fun kills again in this. My favorite kill is...
Gav: Phantom Prowler sounds like a pervert.
Dan: It does.
Gav: It does. The Midnight is a foggy pervert. Oh, the Phantom Prowler is on the run. The Sirelli pervert is on the run.
Dan: My favorite kill is Dan's, when Dan falls asleep driving his car, and then he dreams that he's on a motorbike.
Gav: And turns into one of the later Mad Max films.
Dan: Yeah, he just morphs into a half man, half motorbike and smashes into a tree.
Gav: That's the thing though, all the effects in these films are fantastic. All the effects are just like, that's amazing. If you could just slowly just look at what's going on there because the camera moves quite fast. That's why Fangoria was always good. It was a magazine, you could look, open up, look at the pictures and just look at the pictures so long go like, that's so good and so mentally disturbing. Then you'd watched a movie and you might not even see it or be like, and it's gone. Oh, and it's such a shame. That's the thing with artistry, with film. Sometimes a film should almost be like every bit you pause in that movie. Sometimes you can do it with Netflix, you pause it and also Netflix comes up. It looks like the picture they've chosen to do that because it just looks so good. A good movie, you can almost do that. Pause it each time, it just looks fantastic. I don't even know where I'm going with this.
Dan: But I think the Freddy movies are really aimed at the younger crowd, although they're horror movies and they're usually rated 15 or 18. These kills, because they don't really make sense, it's just a cool way for someone to die. As a 12-year-old boy or girl, you're watching this thinking that was cool on the playground. You're like, then he turned into a motorbike and it exploded. Then he went into his comic book and Freddy skateboarded after him, and then he shredded him up into paper. That's great. These kills are great. But unfortunately, five or six great kills in this film, and five or six examples of fantastic special effects, practical and early CGI, don't make a good film when the bits in between are just boring and a bit meaningless, really. And I'm going to say now, this is the worst in the Freddy franchise. This is, you know, the reason why the next one after this, it was called Freddy's Dead, The Final Nightmares. They knew they'd run, they'd done it, everything they could. So they were going to kill him off. And the next one's got loads of cameos in it from other celebrities and really good effects. And it kind of was supposed to be the last one, obviously, then Robert Craven then decided he was going to do a new nightmare, which was meta and that kind of thing. But, yeah, I really feel like this was the death. At one point, this was the death of the franchise, because it was all close to being the death of the franchise, really. Because one is good, obviously, it's a classic. You don't like it as much and that's understandable. Three is probably my favorite, The Dream Warriors, where the kids all go in and do their thing.
Gav: Two is my favorite.
Dan: Two is brilliant, incredible film and up there for me. And I love number six as well. Four though, last year we talked about number four, The Dream Master. It's so forgettable. It's good, but it's forgettable. This isn't even forgettable. This is just, don't bother. Unless you're a completist.
Gav: And that's what I'm saying though, is coming towards the end of the 80s, like the VHS boom, so around 82, 83, people started getting, be able to get these films in there at home and rewatch them and be like, oh, let's have parties and watch them. I mean, swap videotapes and it was like a real proper thing before we had Netflix and internet like that. Think this, people, if you didn't ever knew this, and we're all youngsters, not like us old fogies here. We had to share videotapes and stuff and things like this to watch some movies sometimes. It's hard to get hold of.
Dan: Sometimes, genuinely, like you just brought it up, I wouldn't have seen a film other than pictures in Fangoria or, you know, there's no way to watch somebody's movies.
Gav: There's no, literally no way to watch some of the films apart from the video shop.
Dan: Some of the Romero zombie films, I only saw pictures of them in books and magazines. It wasn't until I was in my late teens, early 20s that I managed to get hold of copies of some of them and actually see the Machete in the head.
Gav: I would say in a video shop, generally, I would say just under half of the video content in the video shop would have been genre, would have been horror, has taken up a massive out of any other genres.
Dan: It was, horror was huge in the 80s.
Gav: So you could see a lot, but as you can see nowadays with Primer now when you go on there and you're like, what the hell is this? The front cover looks incredible and you watch it. Me and Sarah watched the most random, crazy shit, man. But I never saw it then, but it was out there, it was made. There was massive amounts of films, but we only got a certain amount. So to try and find some of these films was just a nightmare. A nightmare in Elm Street, a nightmare in the video shop. So come towards the end of the 80s, this is when it was the end and the death of the slasher films. This is where action films like Schwarzenegger were doing Gore, Commander and stuff like that. Loads of blood and gore was taken. So the gore was taken to the mainstream with things like action films and stuff.
Dan: People wanted to see Van Damme kicking people in the head and doing battle flips.
Gav: And horror got boring and people got bored of it until, and it really dipped. That's when we went into like Creature. We'd have like Creature movies come out around this sort of time. We started getting a few like bug movies and things like that and through the mid 90s. And it really went down until Scream 96. So we had a downhill from the early 90s until Scream 6 was just a massive amp up.
Dan: The last probably 97, 98, 99 we had some great movies, you know, a couple more Screams we had.
Gav: That's because Scream did so well, money went started going back into it. So people were putting money into making horror movies. So we got more horror movies.
Dan: Halloween H20 got, you know, came out and got that rejuvenated the Halloween franchise that was on that bandwagon. Yeah, destination. I know what he did last summer.
Gav: And and, you know, if something makes money, we get more of them. So it's always good when a horror movie comes out, regardless of if you like it or if you don't like it, it's good for us as a horror fan.
Dan: My biggest problem with this film is one of my biggest problems other than the repetition and the boring stuff and the plot really not really very being very well written is Robert Englund. He just seemed bored and it's just another paycheck for him in this one.
Gav: Well, at this point, he would have been doing a lot more, offered a lot more other films and wanting to branch out and do other stuff. Like, Freddy is always his thing, that was going to be and he knows it would be written on his gravestone. He said that himself. Yeah. I look forward to hopefully potentially meeting him next year.
Dan: A horror convention, but I do feel like similar with Christopher Lee with the last couple of Dracula films. In this one, Freddy was just there. It wasn't that he had a couple of good lines like, it's a boy. But he was just saying stuff from a script like, maximum overdrive when the kid's a motorbike and full throttle, pedal to the metal. It didn't make any sense. It was just Freddy saying random things. There was nothing clever about what he was saying. Usually, he's quite clever with his catchphrases and what he says.
Gav: No. No, not at all.
Dan: He said, bitch, so many times throughout this, everything he said was a hit.
Gav: And you got to think, this is 89. So you got to think things like Predator and some other sort of the Schwarzenegger main films have come out and catchphrases, Arnie's doing that stuff. And so he is jumping on it. Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker. So he is jumping on it, as Freddy Krueger's character, and the people writing it and the producers are jumping on that as well. And this is so popular because right then Schwarzenegger was the main one of the main big things in the cinema around that time. It was balls to the balls. The 80s was like anything goes. It's fueled by fucking producers with cocaine up their nose and loads of money. Everything goes. You'll never see the films that are made in the 80s ever made again because they're just fucking out there.
Dan: Which is weird because Freddie kind of almost invented that catch. He was famous for not so much in the first and second one, but by the third and fourth one, he was saying those catch phrases and we loved it. But then by this one, it feels quite forced.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: When he says the catchphrase.
Gav: It's going like you have to have a catchphrase each time. I've watched a movie recently, a very new movie, I think it was. And there's a catchphrase on it. It came out, someone said something after they died. I don't know, I really enjoyed it. Might have been in The Beekeeper, I'm not sure.
Dan: Yeah, I mean, nothing beats someone like Arnie or someone.
Gav: Have you seen The Beekeeper yet?
Dan: I haven't, I've heard it's very, very good.
Gav: I really enjoyed that film.
Dan: Bit of the old Stave.
Gav: He's great in it though.
Trailer: I'm going to keep your bees.
Gav: It's him doing what he does, but not trying so much, if that makes sense. It comes across a lot. It's just really good. It's very John Wick-y. I watched John Wick again, actually, the other day. I was saying a bit of a thing going on. I'm going to watch another Revenge film, so I watched the first John Wick movie. And you don't realize how stylish that film is.
Dan: Yeah, it's great.
Gav: Because all you think about how good the fighting is and Keanu Reeves in it, if you take that away and just look at the neon blue and green lights and the way it's shot and the soundtrack and the way the camera glides with him in his suit, it's a beautiful movie. Take the action out of it. John Wick's a great movie.
Dan: I do like that franchise.
Gav: Anyway, I've been enjoying this conversation about the 80s horror movies with you and the effects and money and cocaine up noses. But what else is going on with this film, Dan?
Dan: I mean, we've covered it really.
Gav: Yeah. I don't know. I've got all my notes.
Dan: This is a strange episode because we're covering part five of two big franchises, but sadly they are the weakest.
Gav: I'm not that hyped for them.
Dan: We won't bore you listeners with us deep diving like we often do. If you want to revisit Freddy 5, do so. You know what you're getting, but isn't it going to be as fun as one, two, three or four even?
Gav: For me, the absolute best part of this movie, Freddy is skateboarding. And on Halloween, I was wearing the Freddy jumper. The hat's too big for me, so it would have fallen off my head, but I actually went skating down my local skate park in my Freddy jumper. And not one kid, one person knew or said, Oh, no, it's Freddy Krueger, because it's Halloween. No one tricked or whatever.
Dan: You wanted to talk about the little boy in this.
Gav: Yeah, it's the same kid that pisses off Sam Neill when he's talking about dinosaurs at the beginning of Jurassic Park. When he says, so Sam Neill gets a claw and pushes it right down the kid's chest and gives the kid fucking nightmares. Yeah, he says to him, you know what a Raptor would do?
Dan: He would slice your belly open and then it would just enough that your guts would start coming out. And then I didn't realize that was him. So he because Jacob, this kid called Jacob in this film keeps turning up and we realize he's like a projected vision of Alice's unborn son. Again, it just doesn't quite make sense. Why is he there? And then he turns into Freddie then that is like I still got to say, the nun says, try and trick Freddie and he goes, hey, Freddie, dad, you want to show me how to kill people? And it's like, what is going on?
Gav: Yeah, no, it's it's just like, no, there's no story. The effects artists are making the story up because they're showing what they could do. And it is an effect spectacular, spectacular sort of X, X, X, an effect spectacular. I was going to say extravagant X. Oh, fuck off. Anyway, but there's a bit in it where Freddie and the women are kissing and they're real into like society shunting style and they get to push together and some of the effects are all practical. And they are, the effects are all fantastic. If you watch it, just get an edited version of effects just because you like effects.
Dan: Let's briefly talk about that then, because to describe that, Freddie kisses Alice and then they morph into each other. And then he starts coming through her and slicing out of her.
Gav: Standing there together, like morphed together.
Dan: Funny enough, the opening credits are a riff on the things opening credits as well, the way that it appears. So yeah, again, like incredible effects. But what's the point when this is just...
Gav: Yeah, I don't know. I don't know. Yeah. It's literally like whose balls are bigger than the other effects. All these balls, really, isn't it? Yeah.
Dan: Obviously, I've made my notes on this, but I'm not really...
Gav: I've made notes by the way. I watched it earlier, but...
Dan: But my final note on it really is...
Gav: Rap song.
Dan: Is well, before I get to that, my final note on this is this is a mess. And this is legitimately milking a franchise, although it is full of cutting edge effects. But yes, there is a rap song over the end credits, which Gav and I, we love our rap. And it's Cool Mo Dee doing a song where he disses... The whole song is an LL Cool J diss, because he's saying... He calls him loose lips. And he basically says the LL stands for lots of things, like lily livid and things like that.
Gav: What a strange choice for the... It's weird. But LL comes in sometimes, Dan, I'm watching a horror movie. I'm watching Nightmare On Elm Street 5. I'm not watching it. Why? Because at the end is a rap song and it's talking about me. And I don't like it.
Dan: He got Cool Modi back because he dissed him in a track a few years later. So, you know, early, early rap battles back then, battle, you know, diss tracks.
Gav: Anyway, Freddy skateboarded. That was fun.
Dan: That is one of the best things about it, is the song playing over the end.
Gav: And Freddy skateboarding.
Dan: Yeah, because even the superhero stuff wasn't done very well.
Gav: That only takes like five minutes of the movie, really. The whole rap song on the credits and like literally a bit of him skating.
Dan: But also, Gav, not to take away from your favorite part, but there was no point in that. That kid was never mentioned. I'm really into skateboarding. They just put something that was cool at the time into a scene because they could.
Gav: That's what producers do.
Dan: 1989, you had Back To The Future 1 and 2, where lots of skateboarding.
Gav: What's cool right now, yo-yos, add yo-yos.
Dan: They had one of the Police Academy movies that had skateboarding in it. So there's a few skateboarding movies that are gleaming the cube around about this time. So yeah, what else? They had a whiteboard in the producer's room and they were writing, what's cool right now? Comic books, put that on there. Cool Moe Dee, yeah, put him on there. He's going to diss that old call, Jane. Why? Don't know. What else? Skateboarding, put that on there. Yeah, great. Motorbikes. Yeah, I watched Mad Max last night. Great. Turn him into a Mad Max robot. Great. Next. And that's all it was. It's just like a random, a cocaine list of ideas.
Gav: And nowadays it's really hard to make a movie and get any money from anyone to make a movie.
Dan: Crazy.
Gav: Which it is. And that's not me saying that. That's generally the independent cinema world.
Dan: And it's surprising that Robert came back. But I guess he came back because he heard the sixth one was going to be the final one and he wanted to put his monster to bed, as it were. But then he got to play himself with the seventh one, which is great. So, I don't know. It's a dip in the franchise and we've got some good ones to come. The next one is very good. And the seventh one is really good as well. But I don't think we should waste our listeners' time with too much more on this one. It's the thumbs down for me.
Gav: It's a thumbs down for me as well.
Dan: How often do we do both give two thumbs down?
Gav: A double thumbs down.
Dan: I know. But they are sadly the weakest in both franchises.
Gav: They are the weakest links.
Dan: Goodbye. So, I guess we'll take a little break and come back. Do the outro. Yeah. And we're back again, so that was episode 166.
Gav: Sexy.
Dan: In the can, 66. That was our annual franchise base of and a belated Halloween episode. Yes, it was. So next Halloween, we'll be covering the final nightmare, Freddy's Dead, and we'll be covering...
Gav: It's not though, is it?
Dan: Ant-Man versus Michael.
Gav: Ant-Man. Oh, yeah.
Dan: Yeah, poor Rudd. But what are we doing in our next episode? Well, I really touched on this, but Gav's excited. We are going to be finishing up the original Exorcist franchise.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: With Exorcist 2, The Heretic, not The Heretic with Hugh Grant, from 1977 and following that up with 1990s Exorcist 3, which I'm really excited to talk about. It's a great film.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: Weird and great.
Gav: Yeah, Brad Thirth.
Dan: Yeah, it's great. And it's got George R.
Gav: And I don't know Exorcist 2, so I'm really intrigued. How many times you see Exorcist 2?
Dan: Four? Oh, Exorcist 2, quite about three times.
Gav: Okay.
Dan: After that, it's the patron pic, Gav. Patron pic. Rachel, sorry to take so long to announce what you've picked for us. You don't know what these are, do you?
Gav: I do because we had a little phone conversation recently.
Dan: Fantastic. So episode 168 will be Rachel's picks, which are both from 2022. One of them, I've not seen either of them, one of them I'm desperate to see, it's on Netflix now, and that's called Talk To Me. So, yeah, I don't know a lot about it.
Gav: She said she wanted to choose accessible movies for other people to watch, so very, very thoughtful of you, Rachel.
Dan: And she's also picked a German film called Old People.
Gav: Yeah, so I don't know that.
Dan: About pensioners who just suddenly, a bit like mum and dad, I think, from what she's told me, but she also picked for us to watch with Nichols Cage. Yeah, Old People, Ken and Younger People. Great. And if it's German, it's probably going to be a bit edgy. So let's get into that. And then if we if we can get back on track, our final episode before the Christmas special might be a Peter Jackson special. And we'll be covering Bad Taste from 1987, so we can talk all about guerrilla filmmaking, which Gav knows a little bit about.
Gav: I love Bad Taste.
Dan: And we're covering, we're pairing that up with one of his beloved ones, which I'm not a huge fan of, but everybody loves it. The Frighteners.
Gav: OK, yeah, yeah, cool.
Dan: From 96.
Gav: Bad Taste is Peter Jackson. There's a reason why it's called Dead Bolt Films, because he has winged up.
Dan: Indeed.
Gav: And I was like, he's got nuts. So I'm going to have Bolt. What's Bolt? Dead Bolt. But brilliant. Done.
Dan: So Bad Taste and Frighteners.
Gav: He's a big influence, especially that movie and the way it's made over weekends. I've talked loads about the ins and outs of that film. Yeah, it's an inspiration for me doing Shadow of Death, which is a little segue. It's now free on Amazon Prime and Fawesome Horror Channel and Plex maybe as well.
Dan: And weirdly, my face is on the thumbnail. When you click on the film, I come up.
Gav: Oh, do you?
Dan: Yeah, me in the woods. Whilst you're deciding whether you want to watch the trailer or read the cast, it's me.
Gav: Isn't it good?
Dan: It's weird. I showed Alice today. I've pressed my remote control and said, because I've got one of those fire TV. So I said, the shadow of death. And she looked at me like, what? And it came up and I said, who's that? She was like, Oh my God, you're on Prime. I was like, Yeah, but I said, I'm also on another film on Prime because it also you can rent preternatural on Prime. You don't have to pay to rent that one, but we appreciate it if you wanted to. But yeah, so I want to films on Prime now, yeah. Thanks to you. Thanks to our friendship. That's why you prime.
Gav: Have you said to the kids, shown them the Shadow of Death in the picture?
Dan: No, I haven't yet. I don't think they'll recognize me because I've got a completely shaved head and just a moustache.
Gav: I was explaining to a lot of chance of largely stayed over the other night, which is very nice to have my new flat, me and him had a little sleep over here. It was nice. We actually we rented out Despicable Will Me 4, which was very enjoyable. And I was explaining about, oh no, an actress rang me up who I'm working with tomorrow. And she, Jane, who is Jamie in Shadow of Death actually, which means it's the third feature film from those you just said, and the one I'm making now, which I'm shooting tomorrow. She's been in every one. Same as you, I suppose. Yeah. I was explaining something to him and he said, oh, that sounds right. Can I watch it? And I said, nope. And he said, oh no. And I said, no, you can't watch that till you're probably 18. Well, Alice said, and it's not out yet, guys. It's out soon. No, Amanda is called.
Dan: And I said, well, you showed them Shadow of Death.
Gav: I said, no, I won't show them Shadow of Death because it's got penises being severed, weed smoking and loads of sex jokes and no, no, absolutely not.
Dan: And the gore as well.
Gav: Yeah. Well, the penis alone.
Dan: And you get killed, so absolutely not.
Gav: Oh God, can you imagine if they saw me with the machete in my hand?
Dan: Yeah, they're going to freak the fuck out.
Gav: Jack gets scared by the windscreen wipers when they go...
Dan: Then he's definitely getting scared of a machete in your face.
Gav: He was crying in the car the other day because the windscreen wipers were making a really loud noise. And I was like, it's just squeaky, Jack. It's just squeaky. Don't worry about daddy's machete in his face. Spoiler alert, if you've not seen The Shadow of Death, I die in The Shadow of Death.
Dan: That is a spoiler, but please watch it, because it's free, even if you watch it and go and do the washing up. It's good for us, the numbers are good for us, because then people want to see our films, that's good.
Gav: Yeah, just put it on and let it play for 24 hours a day, please.
Dan: But yeah, watch it, and if someone else hasn't seen it, you want to share it, then please share it.
Gav: Yeah, it's cool, it's really cool. So that's what we're doing for our next three episodes, but again, depending on scheduling, because we're going to have to try and bang out a few episodes in quick succession, which we might be able to do. And then one after that, those three I've just mentioned should be our Christmas episode, but I won't talk about that one now. So that's everything. So just a little bit of housekeeping and then we can say our goodbyes and we'll toddle off to our respective beds or whatever we're doing tonight. What dreams?
Dan: I'm editing a podcast.
Gav: I'll be dreaming about God again.
Dan: I love you.
Gav: I love you so much. Well, we are The Podcast on Haunted Hill. You know that because you've been listening to us. Thank you everybody for listening. We've been going for almost 11 years now, Gav. We're coming up to our 11th anniversary soon. That's crazy, really. We have always been and will probably always be a proud member of Legion Podcast Network. We're also under the Deadbolt films or the Deadbolt media umbrella, I should say. We'll talk more about that in just a moment. Legion is the network and it hosts a bunch of horror movie and slightly horror-adjacent podcasts. If you go to legionpodcasts.com, you can find all of our shows on there, as well as all the other shows for the other podcasts that are on there. We're on Facebook, which is where we're most active, particularly October, which, as I said, I really thank everybody for taking part in 31 Days of Horror. If you go to Facebook and just search for The Podcast on Haunted Hill, you'll find it there. Legion is on there as well, Legion Podcasts. Just search for that on Facebook. We have an email address, which is thepodcastonahuntedhill at outlook.com If you'd like to email me and Gav anything, questions, et cetera, you can listen to us wherever you're listening to us now, because this podcast comes up. If you just Google it, it will come up. But it's on Spotify, YouTube, Podbean, Apple, Podcast Addicts and all the usual places. We're also on Instagram, The Podcast on Haunted Hill Insta, which is where we promote the show with a little collage of what we've been watching and a link to the episode as well for you Instagrammers out there. Mention Deadbolt, that's our production company. We've got lots in the works at the moment. We've done lots, short films, features, two of which we've mentioned, Pretty Natural and The Shadow Of Death are both available. If you've got Prime, one is free. The Shadow Of Death is free. You would have to pay to rent Pretty Natural. And if you want to watch Sanctuary Moon, which is our last short we did, the Star Wars horror film with Ewoks in the woods, please go on YouTube and watch that because we have a channel on YouTube, deadbotfilms.com.
Dan: Yeah, and like I said, I'm gonna film tomorrow a last couple of scenes for Amanda, our latest film. And it's got a couple more little bits and bobs to get done, but I've color graded most of it. And yeah, it's a short one. It's just over an hour, but I want to be in and out of it. And it's a foul-footage movie and it's pretty all right. Yeah, I'm saying myself.
Gav: Gav, take it from me when I say the short ones are sometimes quite good.
Dan: Yeah, someone watched it the other day. It was Andy, funny enough, and he said, I wanted more. And I was like, I'd rather have people wanting more than wanting less.
Gav: So Alice always tells me it's not about the length.
Dan: So what host was 60 minutes?
Gav: I was about to say that.
Dan: Which without credits is an hour and 11 minutes. It's not a very long film.
Gav: So yeah, so yeah, so it's for that book films on YouTube.
Dan: Yeah, so we got those things going on. And the comic con that the guys just went to went to Fort Bubble Festival, Bone Idol Comics, which is like podcast on Haunted Hill under the umbrella of Deadbolt. Ben and Tom went along and did it really well. And they were put up alongside the bigger tabled companies. They were put with those guys, which is really good. They did really well. And they got some great contacts and American distributor possibly. So we could possibly get comics printed in America to cut the costs of postage to America. So they can get left in American distributor to the places they need to from there. So they met people like that and they just did some really good, you know, chatting away to people, contacts and stuff.
Gav: So we have our fingers in a lot of pies, comic books.
Dan: Yeah, it's doing really well. The comics are short films.
Gav: Yeah, we've also done some music videos recently as well, which we're really excited about and proud of. And there was another podcast which Gav does.
Dan: Oh, Strangest Podcasts with my lovely Sarah.
Gav: I've heard we just, yeah, we just, we just sat like satellite.
Dan: Yeah, we just done an episode because we hadn't, same as this one, done a podcast a long time because again, I don't have an internet and I just hadn't seen Sarah for a long time. So we just, just didn't do a podcast, but we're going to do another one this weekend as well. So we're banging out another one.
Gav: Great. So we're back. We're back.
Dan: Lost At Sea.
Gav: Excellent.
Dan: Doing our Lost series. Yeah.
Gav: Mary Celeste and all that kind of stuff. I don't know.
Dan: I don't know.
Gav: Sarah's the investigator.
Dan: Yeah, she'll bring it to me. But yeah, they're both doing lots of things. We had a really good meeting recently, which I'm not going to say any more. But I'll tell you once we finish recording.
Gav: It's been a good two years for Deadpool.
Dan: It seems to be on the up and up at the moment. We've just appointed one more managing director, and then that's it. No more. And who's our like head Dom, who's our like head grip, basically our BA of our A-team.
Gav: Perfect.
Dan: He's an engineer. Like we are starting to do other things where we are going into the distribution of making stuff for independent filmmakers. So Dom has actually made a fogger, which you use, you put canisters in it, and then you can fog up forests for filming. And they cost a lot of money, but Dom's made one and we can get that made up and sell it as a deadbolt product. And after that, we're hopefully going to try and make trolleys for on set for carrying, but small ones which could be put into like briefcase size to carry around.
Gav: That's cool.
Dan: So we're going to think about doing that as well. So we've got loads of, it's just gone bizarre from what it started as.
Gav: Even the props and stuff that are being made.
Dan: Everything's just crazy now because we've got everyone in, everyone is making stuff really top notch of what they do.
Gav: So that's Deadbolt, which we're, you know, proud to be a part of and weirdly, it kind of came before the podcast, actually.
Dan: Yeah, yeah. Still hoping to actually make it a full time job, you know, to do working for Deadbolt Films, or Deadbolt Media, should I say.
Gav: And lastly, we are also part of Patreon. So if you want to become a Patreon supporter, thank you so much for this show financially and help us keep moving forward.
Dan: I seriously appreciate it. It means a lot to us.
Gav: We really, really, really appreciate it. If you became a Patreon, then you would get to select what we watch, because every three episodes is a Patreon fix.
Dan: And did you like my DJ mix? I did. No, not you, the Patreons. I liked it though. Did anybody listen to it? Probably not.
Gav: Sure, they did.
Dan: It's not very long.
Gav: But that is one of the perks you get as a Patreon. Not only do you get to, in rotation, pick every three episodes, it will be your chance to pick the two films we review and have your sort of blurbs written out about why you've picked those films if you want, but you also get a free t-shirt and you get access to every show we've ever done, because every Friday we put up one of our old shows on Patreon and we sometimes release bonus content such as Gav's Halloween Megamix. Mix, mix, mix, mix, mix, mix, mix. So yeah, if you want to become a Patreon, you don't have to do it, but we'd love it if you did go to Patreon, search for The Podcast on Haunted Hill, or if not, if you can't find it, you can either message me on Facebook or go just to email me at thepodcastsonhauntedhill at outlook.com and now I will thank all of our patrons. So thank you ever so much to all of you guys. Thank you very much to Dante, Don Collier, Matthew Godley, Jamie Jenkins, Kevin S Fife, Sarah Kay, Rachel, R J McCready and Lex Boo.
Dan: Thank you so much guys. You've stuck with us for a while now and we really appreciate it.
Gav: Yes, it's been about five years.
Dan: It's really cool. Thank you so much. Sorry, we didn't get an episode out, but I literally couldn't from the lack of internet.
Gav: Thank you to everybody for your patience and as always, for your support, for listening, not just patrons, but everybody who even just jumps on the Facebook page or shares or likes.
Dan: I felt quite cut off from the world without the internet, and I was further away from everybody. Closer to you actually, a little bit. Further away from everyone else though.
Gav: But yes, so that is that. Thank you everybody. Thank you Sam Loomis, Dr. Loomis. Thank you Freddie Krueger for dialing in your performance. Sorry that we didn't talk in as much detail about the two films, but we'd much rather have talked about what we've been watching for Halloween, franchises, my dreams about God and Gav's what dreams.
Dan: We're just putting our toes in the wall. We're just like dipping it in a little bit.
Gav: We would have bored everybody if we'd have gone into detail on Halloween 5.
Dan: Jesus.
Gav: I'd have fallen asleep halfway through it.
Dan: I was hoping you were going to... There's parts I think Nightmare On Elm Street... Actually, there's a note in Nightmare On Elm Street says, the stuff happens, Dan will explain to you.
Gav: Dan didn't. Dan's just like...
Dan: Dan didn't.
Gav: A nun, skateboard, motorbike man.
Dan: I actually had it. Dan explained it to me. I said to Sarah, I said, cool, that was hard work. It's all right. Dan's going to tell me what happened.
Gav: Well, we'll have a much more exciting time on the next episode when we cover Exorcist 2 and 3.
Dan: Yeah, that's interesting because we can then obviously talk about the original and just talk about that whole thing. And there's a lot of avenues for conversation.
Gav: Yeah, because your mother sucks cocks in hell. So not yours.
Dan: Your mother washes sucks in hell.
Gav: That's it, guys. So listen, it's a good night from me. The enthusiasm is good night from a skateboarding Freddy Krueger.
Dan: Ah, prime time, bitch. Wrong one, though. I'm going to do a kickflip.
Gav: Yeah. That sounded more like Al Pacino.
Dan: Oh, yeah. I got to do a kickflip. No, that doesn't even sound like him.
Gav: Oh, and it's a good night from Matthew McConaughey, scaring people with a wooden spoon. All right.
Dan: All right.
Gav: Take care of everybody and remember, if you've got an unborn child, make sure it's not dreaming about Freddy Krueger.
Dan: Yeah. I don't know how you stop that, but make sure you look under your bed for Freddy Krueger skateboarding. Be weird if he is because there's not going to be much room down there.
Gav: But you never know what Freddy can get up to.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: Good night.
Dan: Good night. Jamie, good night.