Today’s co-host is Nathan Barry. Nathan is the founder of ConvertKit. Many of you know ConvertKit as an e-mail marketing platform, but there’s more to the story.
“If you’re earning a lot and I’m earning a little, then it’s because you’ve built skills over time. Just like if you’re incredible at playing this piano piece, it’s because you’ve practiced and you’ve built up to it over years.”
In this episode Nathan talks about:
- How he got into the world of digital marketing, and ultimately ConvertKit.
- Identifying your ideal client by knowing who they are not.
- How to define the ideal employee and the questions you need to ask.
- Sometimes it’s easier to figure out who you should exclude from your marketing efforts rather than include, as it allows the quality content to rise to the top. When you narrow it down by those criteria, it becomes apparent who you should focus on.
- Asking the right questions is critical. Ask questions of yourself and others that will help you figure out what your real goals are.
- Ask yourself: if this employee went to work for the competition tomorrow, how upset would I be? This is a great way to determine your ideal employee.
Important Mentions in this Episode
- The App Design Handbook
- Designing Web Applications
- Nathan on Twitter
- Authority by Nathan Barry
- Jason Fried on Twitter
- Good to Great by Jim Collins
- Flywheel by Jim Collins
What is Live In The Feast?
Live In The Feast is a seasonal podcast for developers and designers looking to discover their niche to build recurring revenue. So that they can live the life that they want and ultimately reach the goals of why they started their own business in the first place. Each season will be a theme specific to your business. And each episode features a guest who's been there before and achieved success. You'll get actionable takeaways for you to implement in your business immediately after each show. No fluff, no pie in the sky dreaming, this is real-life examples and takeaways for you.