Announcer: Well, I'm looking at you and I'm wondering what you're gonna do. Looks like you've got no friends. No one will stick with you to the end. Thank you. Keep them till the end. Whether woman or man It makes you feel so good. So good!
Gary Hill: Hello, folks, and welcome to 2019, Beefers. This is the Cinema Beef Podcast. I am one of your hosts, Gary Hill, with me today, or the wee hours of the morning and the afternoon, where she is. It's not Jamie, it's not Suzanne. It's not Iris. From the Black Annis and the Legion of your Dark podcast, talking about them bigs and littles and shit. Misty, how are you doing, girl?
Misty: Good, good. I'm doing good. I'm in lots of pain today, but I'm making it. I'm making it. It wasn't as painful as watching the Lawn Mower Man again. Thinking about doms and subs and bigs and littles. Love it, Dylan. Yeah, well, yeah, I mean, when I when I when we canceled the Black Annis horror podcast, um, it was it was because Ben, my co-host, and my husband, he just straight up didn't have time. He did not have time to do it. And carrying it on without a co-host is like, eh. You know, I mean, that was like our show, and it just didn't feel right. So I was like, okay, well, what type of what are my passions outside of horror? Because there's. 500 bazillion horror movie podcasts these days.
Gary Hill: There's a lot of them.
Misty: So many. So I was like, okay, what are my interests? What am I passionate about outside of horror that Ben's not really like into? And I was like, kinky movies. Here we go. This one I can do on my own. So, yeah, started Legion After Dark. And we've been on hiatus for ages because, and I'll talk about this on the show; a bunch of changing circumstances, but. we should have episodes back out next week, I'm thinking. And what's interesting is like the premise to one of the movies me and you are talking about today is really close to One of the things that happens in the next movie I'm doing for Legion After Dark, oddly enough.
Gary Hill: They put you in a fancy suit and spin you around in a circle.
Misty: Right. Like lawnmower man, he has a monkey that he's testing his shit on. Monkey dies.
Gary Hill: We watched the monkey cut, by the way, people. We'll get into that later. You know, it's just yeah, yeah.
Misty: Monkey dies, so he's like, oh, I'll just use this person. And the movie I'm doing for Legion After Dark is the first really awful movie that I've done for the show. And it's called The Pet. It's not the one everyone's thinking of. It's from like 2006, I think. And that's the premise of his. His dog dies. So he like, oh, well, I'll just get like a chick to be a dog.
Gary Hill: Oh boy.
Misty: I'll just get like a chick to replace it. You know?
Gary Hill: Are you listening to this, uh, GERBC Suzanne? I'm not waiting making you watch this movie where the girl becomes a dog, okay?
Misty: Right.
Gary Hill: And not in the cute animated sense, like, wow, this girl's soul has been transformed into the dog. No, this is a person that dresses up like a dog and Jay plays like a dog. You know?
Misty: Well, I mean, at least she doesn't dress up. So I don't have to sit through like her dressing up. And again, puppy play is one thing, but the premise of this movie. Is like, is so god-awful and so fucked up that you're just like, this is not a cake. This is just shit. This is just this is just fucking awful. You know, it doesn't paint anyone in a good light.
Gary Hill: Let me know when you do a dirty shame. Okay, I'll come on that show. There's all kinds of fetishes in that movie.
Misty: Oh, I will do. Hell yeah. I'll add it to the list.
Gary Hill: Yes, indeed. That's a John Waters joint there, you know.
Misty: You can't really have a kanky podcast without at least mentioning John Waters at some point.
Gary Hill: In which Tracy Ullman gets a concussion Mild Manner Tracy Ullman gets a concussion. And she starts getting all kinds of freaky shit in the town. Like, uh I don know, there a scene where she does a filthy hokey pokey dance in an old folk zone. It's kinda hilarious.
Misty: That sounds amazing.
Gary Hill: Oh my gosh. But today, we'll start this show the same way. We already start every show, and I'll ask Misty. She says this is a really short list because she's been watching the same thing for like three weeks now.
Misty: Misty, what you've been watching, girl. I have well, like I said, I'm in a lot of pain. A lot of pain lately. I am I tore my meniscus, which is a Part of your knee and some tendons around the kneecap. And so I've been in agony. So all I've been watching. While I've been because I can't get up really well, I can't walk around very well. So I'm like stuck in bed. So all I've been watching is I shouldn't be alive. Cause, like, I'll be like, I'll feel sorry for myself and be, oh, it hurts so much. Then I'll watch I Shouldn Be Alive and be like, well, you know, at least I'm not in the desert eating a raw rattlesnake. At least I didn't plane crash into the fucking Andes and like, you know, have to crawl down for eight miles with a broken pelvis or anything, you know.
Gary Hill: Were you watching La Bamba in which Richie Valens was alive at the end of that movie? Because there's a part of the movie where he eats snake around a campfire and of course he crashes in a plane. This, if you assume, to presuppose that he lived through that, then you know.
Misty: Holy sh you know, I completely forgot that that movie existed. And yes, I remember that. Oh my god. Yeah, so the short list. I have just been watching I Shouldn't Be Alive, like running through episodes of I Shouldn't Be Alive to keep me from feeling sorry for myself for having hurt my knee. Sometimes to be optimistic, you have to watch other people's misery.
Gary Hill: Sometimes you have to do that, yes. What have I been watching lately?
Misty: What have you been watching lately?
Gary Hill: Your stuff, man. I've been watching some stuff. I watched the replacements for no good reason because it was on. on my my fire stick and nowhere else for right now. I'm gonna buy it eventually. That's a football film I love so much with tons of great character actors in it. So when your football team sucks and the Bears you really you really literally dropped the ball on that one your kicker fucking blows balls. But but anyway, you guys here could have could have kicked the next round and you guys could have lost. But instead I watched Jon Favreau and Ree Stefans and of course Keanu is Footsteps Falco who lovely gave like like I think he gave like half the salary for Gene Hackman to be in that movie And it it it worked out real well because I really love, you know, Gene Hackman in that movie and I'm grateful for Tu Keanu for for doing that action. Oh yeah. What else? Real stuff. I I rewatched I I watched Xanadu because I was feeling down because, you know, the holiday boost is over, but the hangover is still very apparent. And uh you need stuff like like that. And I watched Drop Dead Gorgeous again because that's hilarious.
Misty: And oh my god.
Gary Hill: Oh, there's so much good stuff. It was Mr. Tolkien's birthday, so I watched the entire extended 10 hours of Lord of the Rings.
Misty: Holy shit.
Gary Hill: Yeah, it's worth it, though, if you love it.
Misty: And I do love it. Oh, God, yeah. You gotta watch I mean, you gotta watch the extended cut.
Gary Hill: Oh, them other cuts are garbage in comparison.
Misty: Let's just pretend like there's not another cut.
Gary Hill: Oh, yeah, there's just a extended cut. Will from the Gentleman's Guide to Midnight Cinema showed his voice the first one. I like, Well, did you watch the extended cut? He's, No. I was, Well, it's like a totally different experience, man. you know again post-holiday blues i watched Trancers because trancers is a christmas movie people look it up okay Jack Death Rules. You guys all suck if you guys don't think so. It's uh, yeah. Oh, there's stuff. Uh, I uh watched Hereditary. These are all first time watching. I watched Hereditary trying to catch up with 2018.
Misty: Oh, dude, I still haven't watched it. I still haven watched.
Gary Hill: Yeah, it's it's good. And I don't I don't get when people say, you know, like, yeah, this, that, the other. It's one of those films that that for me would have worked a lot better as a family drama without the supernatural shit in there, 'cause there's some real stuff going on in the movie. I don't want to give too much away, but the the there's a br brother and sister involved. And the sister dies in a horrible accident in the movie near the beginning of the film. Th that that in um Tony Collette's own our own psychosis and stuff like that Could have made for a good movie by itself. They throw a whole bunch of supernatural shit in there. They'll throw it. It's in the film. It's implemented in the film. But without it, I think it would have worked real fine as a family drama. But it it's it's not Willis hates it to death. I I think it's a good seven out of ten. May maybe an eight out of ten if I watch it again. Yeah, I think I will.
Misty: I've read online a lot of people bitching about how the son cries, and they're, oh, it cries like. A baby or something, like he's like a little kid, and he's supposed to be a teenager. And I'm sitting there going, anybody that says that?
Gary Hill: You never know. I have to tell you what happens to the movie is He he goes to a party and he ha he's required to bring the the ten year old twelve year old sister along with him. The poor girl has a peanut allergy and she eats cake that has a peanut in it or peanuts in it by accident So she's going to anaphyleptic shock and she's she's got her head out the window. Yeah. The guy the kid swerves to miss an animal in the road, and the girl gets her head taken off by a telephone pole.
Misty: I think that's something that everyone ha that well, in the States anyway. Like we all grew up hanging our like arms and heads and stuff out the window, and you always had that one relative that was like, Hey Cut that out, or you're gonna hit that sign, it'll take your head clean off, it'll take your arm clean off, and it's like, Oh shit, that actually happened.
Gary Hill: It literally happens. So, if you do that to somebody, you know, a relative or a sister, whatever, you would How would you react to that shit?
Misty: That's my thing. When I hear people say that, all I can think is, okay, so you have never actually. Full-on had an experience that just broke you. Because I don't care how old you are, something bad enough happens, that's how you cry because you just fall apart. Yeah.
Gary Hill: It's not like I punched my brother in the arm and he fell out of a tree, hurt himself. I mean, this literally took the kid's head off. He's like, oh, I don't like the way he cries in the movie. I'd be fucking terrible. I'd be fucking devastated. You know, terrible. I would, yeah.
Misty: I would. Yeah, absolutely. I wouldn I would be but I'd probably end up institutionalized, really.
Gary Hill: I could be I I don't like my sis I like my sister okay, but if I could I could dislike my sister with fire of a thousand sons. If something like that happened to me, I'd fucking break down like a madman. It's terrible, you know?
Misty: Absolutely. And that's all I can think. You what, though? I mean, with any movie or any. With any display of emotion in a movie, you get the hordes of internet dickheads going, oh, but you wouldn't react like that. It's like, no, maybe you wouldn't because you're a sociopath, but the rest of us normal humans would.
Gary Hill: Speaking of social fast, we'll get to that later when the house meeting happens, people. But I watched Tuzz I watched Pywack It because I heard it was decent. It was okay. I wasn't really big on the ending of the movie. It was a nice concept of a angsty girl who uses witchcraft, and of course things go awry and she kills people.
Misty: You know, we we should um I'm gonna have to include you in my essay on how these movies that show girls using witchcraft and Ouija boards going horribly awry is a product of the patriarchy.
Gary Hill: Yes, indeed.
Misty: You telling me boys can't use a Ouija board? Come tell me fuck you, man. Boys can use a Ouija board all day long.
Gary Hill: I watched Hellfest because that's a thing. I'm just catching up on stuff. And this was. It was okay. It it it was great. It was okay for like a theatrical thing. I would like to see like an unrated cut come to come to Blu-ray, but it didn't happen. 'Cause the kills you get, some of them are real good, but some are like a knife to the throat and to the gut and, you know, whatever. It's it's in it's mostly in the dark 'cause it takes place inside these this massive haunted mazes, like a like carnival type situation. Uh the whole time I was watching it though, I would rather be watching the film Funha The Funhouse, the Toby Hooper film.
Misty: Yeah.
Gary Hill: And I I don't like that film much either, so I'm not really the audience for this film, I guess.
Misty: I think that that's that's become a thing with movies these days, is people don't understand that Like, and I'm not talking about like just horror movies. I'm just movies in general. People don't get like that movies have an aimed-at audience, you know? Like, all the Ghostbusters, all that backlash. It's not for you. It's for kids. It's for a new generation of children. What what what the fuck? Calm down. They don't write that. They didn't write that movie just for like 40-year-old dudes. I mean, you know, and it's gotten that way with every genre, I think. People are just like, no, it sucked. And it's like, no, it's not for you. Wrong audience.
Gary Hill: I watched Summer 84 because that's one of the big ones that people sucked its dick all day long and I thought that was just okay too. It it it plays on that nostalgia boom stuff that like Stranger Things does and You know, like, okay. It's just if you watch this movie and people say, Oh, the last 20 minutes would blow your mind. It didn't really blow my mind because it was so fucking formulaic that it wasn't even funny.
Misty: Yeah.
Gary Hill: They thought the neighbor the neighbor cop was the killer, and then spoilers, the neighbor cop was the killer. And then he escapes. And guess what? Kids are still alive, and he's at large. He must be in the house. And guess what? He's in the house. And you know what? It didn't blow my mind, people. It's just kind of there. I'm not going to sit here and blow it. I'm just glad people are out there working and getting success with these small films like this. Yeah, I'm glad that I'm glad for them. I don't have to like it all the way, though. It's just kind of there.
Misty: Well, yeah, you can appreciate like. That the indie scene is doing what it's doing right now without liking the movie. I mean, I really liked, um, God, what was that movie that came out like years ago? Um, fuck me. It follows. I really liked It Follows and It Follows got loads of hate. And I was just like, okay, I mean, but still, the point is
Gary Hill: To to be fair, there are parts in that movie where they're throwing electronics at a ghost in a swimming pool, and that's really sticky.
Misty: That was hilarious. That was absolutely hilarious. Quick, wrap it in barbed wire next. What are you going to do?
Gary Hill: Getting possessed is a sexually transmitted disease, apparently.
Misty: Honestly, what I liked the best about that movie had absolutely nothing to do with the plot of the movie. I liked that it's set. In, like, an alternate dimension earth and never mentions it, never mentions it at all, never says anything about it, doesn't call attention to it. I loved that. I like it when movies don't. Patronize me.
Announcer: You know?
Misty: They don't talk to me like I'm an idiot. Remember when they remade the eye? And like.
Gary Hill: Briefly, yes. Jessica Albert, right?
Misty: I've never been more insulted watching a movie than I was when I watched the i remake and they were spelling it all out for us. You know, come on, man. We're not fucking we're not two-year-olds. We can grasp the concepts that you're throwing at us.
Gary Hill: They don't have a name, just just in the criticisms walking exp exposition, you know. What's your name? Walking Exposition.
Misty: Oh my gosh. See, at least with the with the with the review in the kinky movies, I'm subjected to a bit less of that.
Gary Hill: Oh yeah. It's all kind of subjected to a bit less of that.
Misty: It's like he's got it's really simple.
Gary Hill: He's got hairy balls, he's got a hairy twat. Let's do it, right? You know, come on now.
Misty: I mean, I think because a lot of it it takes place within a community, that if you're a part of that community, you're going to get the references. So they don't feel like they're making the movie for their audience. They're not expecting It's not like what's her fucking face that rose 50 shades. They're not expecting housewives to get it. They're making it for tanky people. So it's like, we don't have to spell it out. You already know what this is, you know. I just that's not the pet peeve I was talking about when I messaged you about these two movies, though.
Gary Hill: See, I'd imagine, you know, in these kinky type films, though, that The people within the film kind of respect each other, whereas in Fifty Shades You can tell, like, wow, you can tell these women just really like giant assholes, Mr.
Misty: Gray is not a good man, you know, at all. Oh, my God. You know, I know you're vanilla, but I highly recommend if you ever oh, well, you can't, you can't really, not anymore. But you should have seen Fet Life. When the movies came out, the amount of dudes that were trying to make profiles on FetLife, like, oh, yeah, I'm like a 50 shades style of Dom.
Gary Hill: And they were laughed off the site. They were laughed out of the events.
Misty: It was just like, no, motherfucker, that is not how this works at all.
Gary Hill: Fucking posers, get the fuck out of here, you know.
Misty: Dude, yeah. Like I'm I'm not with gatekeeping except when it comes to Fifty Shades. Then I'm all about gatekeeping. I was just like, get the fuck out.
Gary Hill: If you want to take me anywhere, take me to one of those fucking weird f uh uh furry conventions. I'll just stand there and watch people, see what they do.
Misty: I should be not the next episode, but a couple episodes after, I should be getting a furry on the show. to interview and talk about talk about furries. Because I feel I feel quite bad for furries because the the large majority of of furry culture Is actually really pretty chill. It's really cool. It's not sexual at all. It's not like and it's and then it's just like that two percent of the weirdos that like that that want to, you know, fuck in a dog suit and shit that that kind of ruin it for the rest of them. So I kinda want to get a hot take from an actual furry on that and be like, you know What do you think? Like, because obviously, because it's such a small percentage, obviously, furries were a thing before the sex people got there. So You know, there's like some old school furries that they're going, oh, these little bastards came in, they made it all pornographic, and started drawing dragon dicks on everything.
Gary Hill: Oh man. I watched the worst. I think the last. Well, I watched Arrowhead rewatched Arrowheads yesterday, and that's always a good time. I can't ever complain about that movie. Steve Boucher just just just lost his wife. That's no fun. So, god, godspeed, ma'am, you know.
Misty: Dude, you can't go wrong with Bushimi though. Like, I would literally watch, you know, an hour of Bushimi just yelling at a wall. Yes. Just yelling at it. Just go for it. Kick that wall's ass. I would watch that.
Gary Hill: I explained to our mom who who Buscemi. I like, You Armageddon, don you? She, Yeah, that Rockhound, Ma, you know. 'Cause she'd seen the article about his wife and the I'd explained to her who Steve Buscemi was, who's been in like a thousand things.
Misty: He's in every him and that other dude that have been in every everything, Justin Long or whatever. They've been in like every movie.
Gary Hill: Somewhere in the background they're there. Just Justin Long will forever be Brandon St. Randy to me because of Zach and Mary Makaporano. Forever and ever. If ever we have a television, like your best role ever is Brandon St. Randy. Don't don't deny it, okay? It's the best ever. I will be your gay Sherpa of the Mountain of Gay I'll be your Sherpa of the Mountain of Gayness, he says, you know.
Misty: Quotable as fuck. Oh, you know what else is so good?
Gary Hill: I watched You Might Be the Killer, which is a shutter exclusive apparently.
Misty: Oh, yeah?
Gary Hill: Featuring that that stoner guy from Cabin in the Woods and Allison Hannigan.
Misty: Oh, I love him.
Gary Hill: I forget the guy's name, but basically you just take the plot of the mask and except make it make him into a psycho killer, because they're they're gonna open skimp and uh He he his family owns the land and of course he he they find this this this mask on in an old graveyard and he to this dumb girl it's always somebody stupid this dumb girl decides like hey put it on your face and he did it and he kills every And he kills everybody unknowingly. The mask is making him do it. And it's kinda hilarious because he's talking to Alice and Hannington on the phone, who owns this comic book store. She's just telling him the rules of like People compared it to Scream because she was describing all the rules of what's gonna happen next in a horror film to him about who's gonna be the final girl. I was like, no, it's not like Scream. It's like Scream because she's explaining the rules to him. But it's not like Scream. This is a fun fucking movie.
Misty: It wasn't, wasn't there, wasn't there, wasn this exact story in Outer Limits episode back in the day?
Gary Hill: Possibly. It's been done before. It's been done so many times.
Misty: When you were describing it, I was just like, I could have sworn this was outer limits.
Gary Hill: It's just, it's like the mask, but if the mask guy, the mask guy was a psycho killer. But if you read the mask comic books. He is kind of a psychotic killer in some certain points, so there is done more for comedy in the movie. But this is funny, it's gory. Hang on a second. Sorry about that. I recommend it. It's great to watch. It's on Shutter currently. It has an exclusive, so go check out. You might be the killer because it's a lot of fun.
Misty: Have you checked out that choose your own adventure thing on Netflix?
Gary Hill: I haven't watched the Bander Snatch yet.
Misty: I started it. But like I said, I was just like, ah, it hurts. Go back to I shouldn't be alive. You know, I can't focus on this right now.
Gary Hill: I heard they're being sued by the choose your own adventure people, though. I heard they're they're um
Misty: Why?
Gary Hill: Because they stole their idea and they ran with it. That's why they're getting sued.
Misty: Yeah, but haven't the Choose Your Own Adventure people been making those books since like the sixties?
Gary Hill: I mean, maybe it a legal thing that they own it.
Misty: Only they. Only they are allowed.
Gary Hill: Plus, I hear that it's really faulty, though. Like, if you. If you don't like, let's say you think the main character sucks, you can't say, I want to kill him. They say, you got to choose somebody else. I was, well, this is choose my own adventure. Why should there be a a scenario where the main character gets killed right away? You know.
Misty: I saw like I saw an an Easter egg for it a few days ago, and I can't remember what the decision is. But there's there's one bit where he's talking to like a therapist or something like that I obviously haven't watched it yet. And he's like fuck it and he just Kicks the shit out of him, and then his dad comes in, and he just kicks the shit out of his dad. And then they're like, Is this what you want? Violence? Like, it was the full, are you not entertained moment.
Gary Hill: It's a genius idea. It's just like, you know, back in the day, I mean, games still do some video games like Chrono Trigger that has 20 different endings depending on how you play it. So so naturally you wanna you wanna see all the endings, so you keep on playing the fucking game and beating the game. This is this is this is just like that, except Netflix is getting you to watch it with different scenarios. So, if you're really a die-hard Black Beer fan, which I'm not, but I guess I should be because people tell me it's good, and then I rely on these people's voices. They tell me it's pretty good.
Misty: Black Mirror is good, but honestly, I stopped watching it after the second season, not because it wasn't good, but because it's too good. Let me explain. It deals with a lot of uncomfortable topics and shit like that, but it does it so effectively that it just makes me feel really depressed after I watch it. You know, I'm just like, ah, this, like, I feel like kind of lost inside after I've watched Black Mirror. So I was like, I need to step away from Black Mirror. It is awesome and I recommend it, but You know, if you're a little ball of emotion like I am, just you know, take breaks from it.
Gary Hill: Two more things. I'm sorry. One more thing that's on Shutter currently, as well as King Cohen, which is a documentary about. Writer, producer, director, Maverick, Larry Cohen. It's really fucking enjoyable. If you love Larry Cohen like I love Larry Cohen since I was a wee little boy, watching the stuff way too young, uh, yeah, you'll love it because they get everybody that was ever in one of his movies to be on there. And, um You get really funny stuff with Yapan Koto, who loves aliens. What did they use for this stuff? They didn't mention that, but I don want to know! Here's a funny story. My friend Doug Tilley from Newfoundland, uh, in Canada, who does Eric Roberts is the Fuckin' Man podcast with with Liam O'Donnell, his his buddy. They got to go have lunch with Larry Co d lunch with Larry Cohen and and Eric Roberts, uh, the day they had their live show. And Liam got something to eat for dessert and Larry Cohen just had like the most disgusted look on his face, I guess, as Liam was eating it. It's like. I don't know what he was eating. Maybe some kind of moose or something? I don't know, but I would love to see the look on Larry Cohen's face and it would have been spectacular. You know.
Misty: Oh my god. I would like to see a Cohen Carpenter team-up super group movie.
Gary Hill: You're making my nipples hard, girl, thinking about what you're gonna say.
Misty: But Carpenter would have to do the soundtrack.
Gary Hill: Yes. See, there's weird things that get your people off, Misty. That's what gets me off right there. Jerry Cohen and John Carpenter got together.
Misty: Oh, dude, that that counts as a kink. I't give a shit what it says. That fucking counts.
Gary Hill: Oh, my God. Oh, one more that I I have to recommend because I I watched Assassination Assassination Nation is the movie, which is a film about which sur surrounds around these four or five five well, I can't call them females one's a transgender. So four females and a transgender. They they're friends.
Misty: Well, I mean, is the is the trans is the trans person a female or a male?
Gary Hill: It's a female trans person.
Misty: Okay, so yeah, so five women.
Gary Hill: She has a penis that comes to play in the film at a certain point in the movie because. One of the dudes in the film blows her and this gets out the world, and he blew this trans person. And yeah, it's a yeah. But uh Assassination Nation is essentially about this small town which is called Salem, but it's not in the witchy sense. Basically there's a hacker in the town who's letting all people's personal information out into the the world. They looked the mayor's information out. They got a bunch of pictures and videos of him dressed up like in brown panties doing kinky shit. So he kills himself and then They do it to the school principal and eventually a whole bunch of stuff gets out. And they blame it on the one girl, and then it turns into like a riot purge situation. What what I love about this film is that it's like the purge, but if it really happened. Like if if all the information, like all the stuff you didn't want people to see got in and got out in the world and they blamed it on they they they ended up blaming it on this one girl like in the group. and stuff goes to sh crazy in the streets like a real real uh torch squad, um firing squad Go going to collect people and then hurting people. If the purge actually happened in in this sense, this is what it will look like. You know, with the world of our social media, you know, y Only real problem I have with the film is it's it's got those those those girls that are hating it that that talk the way they do.
Misty: But that's what, like Valley Girls?
Gary Hill: Yeah, not really. This takes place in the now, in the So, do they talk in like emojis and stuff? No, like, you know how girls talk, like, like modern girls talk. I I I I was once hanging out with these people and now I can't stand these people kind of thing. But yeah, if if you could if you could get past that and enjoy this film about something that could It's very real and it could really happen probably because people are just mean and rude and psychotic to each other. I think you're a really big Assassination Nation, and uh, yeah, I recommend you check it out because it's kind of good. So
Misty: Hey, Gary. Hey, what? You want to hear a pretty hilarious accent? Check out Chills on YouTube. Chills. Yeah, he d he does these videos on, like. You know, the top 10 most terrifying, you know, bath bombs or whatever, the most haunted shower stalls in North America type of shit. But his accent is strong Northern California accent. So he's like. Just when you thought it was safe to go outside like the ghosts of your past come to f oh my god, it cracks me the fuck up He's being all serious and shit. You're just like, man, oh man.
Gary Hill: But that's it for the the watching phase and the talking phase. I'm gonna ask I don't have much anything to say about this except for I gonna ask Misty This is the wonderful segment we took all now: the beef bitches and mashed potatoes.
Announcer: Okay, who gets the barley beef? I ordered barbecue beef. I think that's mine, but I didn't order fried. Mine's the juiced a lot. Okay, who gets the burly beef?
Gary Hill: I heard that crazy. Uh pissed, what's your beef girl? You got anything to to be mad about today?
Misty: Uh I got all kinds of shit to be mad about today, but I'm not gonna go into like My normal sort of political kind of rants. Okay. But I am focusing directly on the movies we're reviewing today. Okay.
Gary Hill: So, just wait for us to talk about them then, basically?
Misty: Do you want me to? Because I can just say it now.
Gary Hill: No, that's okay. We'll wait to You're getting visual bitches for that one.
Misty: I'm sure I've got some stuff. Oh, you know what? I do fucking have beef, actually. Right, I was friends with this girl, known her for years, years and years and years, long before I moved over here. And we found each other again online and we were friends and everything. And she's like busy a lot. And I'm busy a lot, so we didn't always connect and everything. And then she sends a message, right? That's like, you never ask about me. You never, you never, like, you know, a bunch of fake ass friends. You never, like, ask how I'm doing and stuff. And it's like, bitch. I tried to set up Skype Hangouts with you. I tried to fucking like, I'll message you every once in a while and shit like that. You don't message me back. What the fuck you want me to just m sit here and talk to the fucking air? I got shit to do. So I had to cut her loose. I was like, you know what? Have a nice life.
Gary Hill: So I called, my boy, just the other day. Sounds like a real casual crowd situation there, you know?
Misty: Dudes, for people like that, that's my beef. People that expect you to do, like make all this effort and have your life sort of revolve around making sure that they know that you're their friend, grow the fuck up. You know, grow up. I'm 40 fucking years old. I don't have time to text you every single day and make sure you're okay and make sure everything's all right. I've got my own life to live. Fucking hell. You know, come on, man. Like, I mean, if shit's going on, like, if one of my friends has some shit going on, I will absolutely check up on him regularly throughout the day. But nothing was going on, you know, like nothing's fucking happening.
Gary Hill: You should call her and ask me if she wants to have a catch or something. The wait, no, you got to work that day. So, you know, it doesn't work out that way. See? Oh man, I'm telling you.
Misty: I'm telling you. It's fucking we're grown ass adults. I'm sorry, but like if I don't know there's a problem And you don't talk to me, I'm not gonna like sit there and fucking message you every day going, How are you? How are you doing? How is everything? Is everything okay? Bitch is high maintenance, man. No. I like low maintenance friends. We are friends. We're close. We know we're friends. We know that if we don't talk for six months, we can still call each other and be like, oh my God, I need some help. Come over, and we'll be there for each other. You know?
Gary Hill: Well, right now I I have a friend and this is my beef too. We'll b be we're beefing on friendship people, or people who should be your friends. And my mine is the exact opposite of your situation. In which I'm on the guy who who was ignored who by a guy who who's he's he's probably I think Lee my friend Lee, he's twenty seven years old, I think. I've known him since he was fucking a little shithead. I spent a lot of time at the comic store playing land type video games, people.
Announcer: So, but my nerd cred is strong, and I can't help these things.
Gary Hill: But this is where I met this kid when he was probably about thirteen years old, you know, and there was the older kids and there was the younger kids, and we kind of took the younger kids under our wing. So I I consider Lee my my the little brother I never had, you know.
Announcer: Yeah.
Gary Hill: And so Lee, he's a hipster musician now. And that's all well and good. But yeah, he came back. He went to the Air Force while I came back. I I begged to hang out with him, you know, I want to see how he was doing. I want to give my my little brother a hug, you know, stuff like that. He he was out there doing other things, but now He decided to move to California to go do other things and to go hang out with his musician friends and to leech up with them for a while. And you know.
Misty: Now what part of California is he going to?
Gary Hill: Oh, he's right there in LA. I think he's working at the whiskey, I think. Oh, God. So he's right there on the strip working. And um, but yeah, it's one of those things where he's he's naive, he's always been naive, so I worry for him. So, when I I call or text you concernedly Just to making sure you got to where you were going. I know he's there now, and that that's that that's entirely not the point, though. You just pick up the phone and call her for five minutes and say, You know what, I'm out here, I'm doing fine. It like, No, this this little fucker's out there Getting his butt his his ball circulation cut off by them skinny jeans he's wearing. I'm glad he cut off that stupid soul patch because I would have shaved it off for him because it looked fucking good.
Misty: I didn't think people still had soul patches. People still have soul patches?
Gary Hill: He was rocking it, man. I was like, dude, no, don't do that. It looks bad on you.
Misty: That's the thing. You know what? Never let anybody judge you for what you choose to do with your hair unless it just looks like shit on you. It's not the style, but it's not for you. You know?
Gary Hill: So so if you you got a friend who who's that kind of friend who's very passive for no good reason, I'm not even upset about it. He's out there doing his own thing. It's just yeah, one of those things that that is the exact opposite of what your beef is. My beef is with my little brother Lee, who's uh uh Captain Dushat, and I I wish him the best. But the front this friend in question is quite a user, so whoever 'cause Missy, this is a viable question, right? If if you're moving s if you're dr getting your car to go somewhere far away to live Shouldn you ask this person, Well, do you have a place to stay? When they say, Well, kind of, aren't you going to worry about that, you know?
Misty: Well, yeah, but yeah, because I've been that person. And I I answered that damn well knowing I didn't have a for sure place to stay. But yeah, no, that's that's the thing. It doesn't take more than two seconds to just text and be like, yo, I made it all right. You know, it doesn't take two seconds. And there are a lot of people. And I knew I've known a lot of people that have absolutely fucking no one in this world that gives a shit about them. So take that and feel special that you have someone in your life that cares, you know?
Gary Hill: I love him. I'm gonna let him do his own thing. I'm hoping for not to failure, but I know what he's like. So, whoever he's living with or fucking to live with is going to eventually see. This motherfucker ain got a job and I'm feeding and taking care of him. And they're gonna put his ass they're gonna pee they're gonna put his ass out of the street. 'Cause I I've learned in this world that not not by me personally, but by other friends. 'Cause I don't I don't hang like that with women. That no matter how good you think your dick or Vijay J is, eventually somebody's gonna throw your ass out on the street if you ain't acting right. You know.
Misty: Yeah, and if he's in California, you know he's gonna end up up in Humboldt County working as a trimmer. Like all the rest of us on the street in California.
Gary Hill: See, now you got close to curiosity. What is this triver that you're speaking of? This is the.
Misty: For pot farmers. They they like all the homeless kids and stuff, they come down and they'll like if they need someone to come work the the farm and trim the plants ready for selling and transport and shit. And they pay you a bit to go in and trim the plants for . But now it's legal. I bet business is really, really, really smaller than it used to be.
Gary Hill: I bet it is. It reminds you of that Bob's Burgers where the kids worked at the at the at Parentheses Blueberry Farm and they were selling the weed for the old folks, you know
Misty: Hell yeah.
Gary Hill: I love that one.
Misty: Hey, don't laugh. That's my ret retirement plan.
Gary Hill: I need another basket of blueberries. This one was all season stems. Nick, oh gosh. Oh, such a great episode of Ozburgers. I love it so much. Oh, my God. But yeah, I'm going to leave the beefage there. And we're going to talk about it. the two films that I I I chose to put together because I feel that one gets love kind of I I think it was moderately successful Whereas the other one was maligned for having basically the same kind of ideas, but with a much earlier effects budget. Because it came like, I don't know, uh 92 to 2014, about 22 years later. The one movie is the gap in between effects budgets, okay? Yeah, yeah. We're gonna talk about Lawn Moorman from 1992 and Lucy from 2014.
Misty: I gotta be honest with you, man. Like when you said Lawnmower and I went to look it up, I had n I di I would not have guessed that that was 92. I thought that movie came out in like 88.
Gary Hill: Oh, no, no. And I've seen worse stuff than Lawnmore Man, trust me. Although I do kind of like Lawnmore Man and Lawnmore Man 2. We'll get we'll get into that later on though. But we'll do Long Or Man first. We'll do it in chronological order right after the break.
Trailer: Doms and subs, masters, mistresses and slaves, owners and pets. Daddies, mommies, and littles Primals and Prey Switches, Heathens Kinksters and Deviants, welcome to Legion After Dark. Legion After Dark is a movie review podcast with a kinky twist I'm your host, Lady M, and every episode I'll be reviewing a movie with a BDSM or kink theme. I'll also be talking about quotes. Sex toys, bondage equipment, all the fun things that make life grand. I'll be featuring a different kink each episode and. I'll even give you a song to sing to. So join us on Legion After Dark, coming soon to Legion Podcast Network. That your dark side out to blame You can have all your dreams, but your nightmares won't go away. I like you better Job Smith
The Lawnmower Man: Is the lawnmower man. A man. Joe! Come on, boy, let's go. Grass is waiting for you. With the mind of a child. Yes, Cybo Man. He came to see me. Cybo Man? Comics, right? Yeah, Cybo Man. And the doctor. Virtual reality holds a key to the evolution of the human mind. With a vision of the future. I have a game in my house that you might like to play. Yeah, okay. That was really bad. I have different games. I even have one that could help make you smarter. Now, Job Smith is about to enter the world of virtual reality. It's gonna be like being up there with the stars, Joe, to go into another planet. His mind is like a clean, hungry sponge. I just graduated to the next level, Joe. You're not the one who am Well, you've certainly changed. I don't know how you did it, but I approve. I absorbed Latin yesterday in less than two hours. Don't worry. A world where the normal course of events can suddenly turn inside out. You realize, Dr. Angelo, that my intelligence has surpassed yours. The imaginary becomes real. You can't hide anything from me, Dr. Angel. And reality. We have no idea what he's gonna do is all in your mind. The Lawnmower Man.
Gary Hill: Uh IMDB is a is a shyster and a prick because let me tell you what they did to Lawmore Man, okay? This is not deserved at all It gets a six point five out of ten from from fifteen ratings, that's all it gets fifteen ratings. I like it. I I'm not going to give my score right now, but it's it's good enough. But they gave it the the the cover art for it is the Sega Genesis cartridge box cover. For the shitty fucking video game that they made for this fucking movie. And the plot synopsis is the plot synopsis from Lawn Boorman 2. Beyond Cyberspace, aka Longmore Grand 2 Jobe's War. Okay.
Misty: Are you serious?
Gary Hill: It's yeah, the the plastynopsis says this is the plastynopsis from the lawnmower man. The direct sequel to The Lawmore Man 1992, Job takes over cyberspace, kidnaps the characters from the movie, and imprisons them in his world. Doctor it's not even the same Doctor. They got the wrong Doctor Angelo is not in that movie. It's a different Doctor. In his avatar form, must overcome Job's traps and puzzles to save them. This is a person that has not seen Lawnmower Evan 2 beyond cyberspace. That's the game. Because it's it doesn't suck, okay? That's like a mixture of one plot with another plot. But the plot the plot to the Lawnmore Man from 1992 is about a doctor, Doctor Angelo, played by Pierce Frosden, who he's a gynecologist. He is a vagina magnet, dude. He creates a program through virtual reality to basically fix brain patterns to make things smarter.
Misty: So that he can figure out how to talk to dogs.
Gary Hill: Yeah, talk to dogs and talk to and and talk to uh chimps who have amazing laser tag helmets and guns. And uh, by the way, we we watched it. I should explain the monkey because it doesn't really come up in the original cut of this film. This is the cut that we watched, which is two hours and twenty-one minutes long. Some of it was needed. Some of it was needed, some of it was not needed. I think that the the opening part with with uh the chimp his research started with a chimp. And I should explain the rest of the plot. He basically finds Job, who is a simple, a simple. He's a savant, basically. He knows how to fix things, like lawnmowers and stuff like that. But he has the he has the mind of a child, so he gets the idea to put use his program and his drugs to fix Job with hilarious results, people, okay? You know
Misty: He just wanted to replace his monkey. It was like, this guy's close enough. Yes.
Gary Hill: But the opening of this film, the director's cut and not in the theatrical cut, is this fucking monkey, this chimp. escapes from the lab because uh against Dr. Angelo's wishes they they used more powerful drugs on him and it basically made him self-aware with the help of his Super laser tank helmet that can tell you if somebody's a threat or not, and it goes on a killing rampage, uh, hilariously, and then of course finds Job and yada yada This part has a lot to do with the movie where the chimp finds Job and Job thinks he's a superhero, but he's not. Yada yada yada.
Misty: Yeah, because of the comic books. And then And then Skynet appears.
Gary Hill: Yes, indeed. Yeah, there's more to that. There's more with the neighbor. There's more crazy fucking shit out of this movie. Some of it's necessary, some of it's not necessary. I'm gonna Misty first, though. Misty, you said you had pet peeves about both of these films, ever had in common with these films. Tell the world, tell tell Cyberspace what you think about Lawnmore Man, okay?
Misty: What I think about Lawnmore Man. All right. Well, the big pet peeve for both movies, and this especially goes for Lucy. Is the whole you only use 10% of your brain bullshit? That is not fucking true. That is only in movies. Seriously, we use 100% of our brain. If we are resting, like if you're laid down with your eyes closed and you're like on the verge of falling to sleep, you can go down to sort of like 20%, you know, but you are using all the parts of your brain at all times. It all lights up like a fucking Christmas tree constantly. The brain is only 3% of our sort of body weight, you know, but it uses 20% of the energy that our bodies produce because it is all working at high efficiency. And this 10% thing has been going around since fucking oh gosh, it was it was started with this psychologist. Right? Back in like the 70s, I think, and he did the whole theory about, oh, you're only using 10% of your brain or 10% of your brain. Just imagine what would happen. And it's fucking bullshit. It's not true at all. The closest thing to truth. On the brain thing is that we know where all the connections are. We know what connections are working, but we don't know what all the connections do, you know? But for fuck's sake, that is amazing. Every time I see that in a movie, I instantly just want to punch the screen. I'm just like, no, stop spreading this bullshit. It's not fucking true. Other beef with lawnmower man in particular, the fucking neighbor. That bitch, she's a rapist. Let me explain. Yeah. She's a fucking rapist, right? But she doesn't know that the research has made him smarter. So to her, he still has the mind of a child. That's a fucking predator. Bitch should have died. She should have died a lot more horrifically than anything that was given to her in the movie. I'm telling you. This bitch, no. Not caught. If that was a fucking, if that was like the other way around. You know, and it was some.
Gary Hill: I I get it, because there's a point in the film where she she notices him in a way. Like, yeah, he's kinda he's kinda dumb, but he's kinda cute. Like, this is a guy I could boss around. kind of deal.
Misty: Yeah.
Gary Hill: Th this is this is a girl who's played uh by Jenny Wright, who uh people may know from Near Dark. She she plays the the yeah, the the shy female from from Near Dark Vampire. I'll go ahead. I'm sorry, continue. But yeah, there's there's a there's a part where I guess he becomes like, you know, I don't want to call him a tard because he's very he's very smart in a certain sense. But when he becomes, you know, more smarter tha m more of a man than he once was, he starts putting on those fancy jeans. I guess that's when she really wants to fuck him. But yeah, there there's that point in the film where he's supposed to have like the eight-year-old mind. Like, yeah. I really want to fuck this eight-year-old. Really bad.
Announcer: Right? What the fuck?
Gary Hill: I'll get that lawn job done for free if you know what I'm saying.
Misty: Dude, I mean, sh the shit's gross, dude. I mean, fucking hell. Like, if it had happened, if she hadn't been checking him out before and it had happened after he got More intelligent, and he went up and like struck up a conversation with her. I'd have been fine with it, but that's not what happened. She was looking over that fence way before the experiment started.
Gary Hill: She just wanted to give us some lemonade there, girl. Come on now.
Misty: Joe, if you want some lemonade, okay. You know. Why don't you come upstairs?
Gary Hill: I'll continue. I'm sorry.
Misty: Oh, man. Those are my big also, okay. And this doesn't just go for lawnmower, man. They need to stop putting sex scenes in Stephen King adaptations because they're always awkward as fuck and they never are at the right moment and they're never like they never make any sense. And this is no exception. All the sex scenes in this movie.
Gary Hill: Are we talking about the dual VR suit fucking in this movie?
Misty: You know? Dude, I mean, see, every sex scene in this movie is just awkward and not hot. You know, if you're going to put sex in a movie, it should be at least somewhat titillating, some something, you know, but this is just fucking awkward. It's like You know, it's like if you're it's like if you're at like a fucking event and some autistic kid grabs the head speaker's boob or something. It's just like It's all fucking wrong.
Gary Hill: It's all wrong. I gotta talk about the scene where they're having their dual cyberspace, cyber sex, or whatever's going on. Like, all of a sudden, they're like, they're like getting hot and heavy. They're avatars of the cyberspace. And all of a sudden, it's like, boo, I'm a monster. And boo, I fucking brain dead now. You know?
Misty: She's like, oh, I don't like this. He like, oh, I know what you'll like. And turns into that big goofy ass, like, it looks like fucking Qbert on like meth or something.
Gary Hill: The weirdest, it's like the weirdest rape scene I've ever seen in my life because she obviously, you know, no means no in every sense, even in cyberspace.
Announcer: You know, she
Gary Hill: She didn't want him. He's like, No, no, you're really like this face. I'm going to make that one. It's like, blah, blah.
Misty: You could have gone with anything. You could have been fucking Brad Pitt or like Norman Reedis or something. You could have gone with anything. And you chose. Meth head Qbert monster.
Gary Hill: It reminds me of the scene in Clockwork Orange where Alex is in the record store between the two girls. And the one the one girl's popsicle not axe that looks like a fucking drooping dick and he starts to lick it. That's what it reminds me of so much. Oh my god. It's so bad. The drooping dick boxicle from Clockwork Orange. Nobody wants a drooping dick.
Misty: I laughed at it for a second, but I was so busy admiring that pimp-ass coat he was wearing, it was hard for me to concentrate on anything else.
Gary Hill: That coat was stunning. The Cossack coat that tells the Wallace Reagan Horror Express.
Misty: Oh, fuck yeah. Yes, but man, I a sucker for a nice coat. Seriously, I am ten times more likely to talk to you. If you got a badass coat on than in any other coach
Gary Hill: It'd be a nice coach to walk around with it for a while and uh say I knew this guy in Virginian that somehow
Misty: Scored a fucking fireman's coat and would wear it out, and they'd be, Oh my god, are you a fireman? He's, Yeah. And it's, No, you're fucking not. You're a stoner.
Gary Hill: Man, oh man. Oh, my my relationship with La Moore May goes goes deep. I I think I seen it at the dollar store way back at I mean Dollar Dollar Theater way back when, so probably about 90 93, maybe liked that. It was the second run theater, obviously. And I really liked it. I was one of those people that's under the illusion and this this fucking poor bastard. Second time we discussed him on the show of all time. Austin O'Brien is the actor that plays the young boy in the movie. That's the neighbor to Doctor Angelo, who likes his video games and is best friends to Joe because they're mostly mostly basically the same age. This kid cannot act to save his life and anything he's in. And I I feel I don know if it m the material they give him or somebody encouraging him, like those Will Smith children, that you're really good. Because he's not really good at all. He's he is the g The Jake Lloyd before Jake Lloyd was a thing. Yeah. And he was given the responsibility to be Arnie's sidekick and last action hero. Playing really terrible California Austin O'Brien and My Girl Too. He's in this movie playing a real shitty kid where He's abused by his father. This is the film where root for that to happen because he's so terrible. But then he's abused. You're like, yeah, yeah, that's kind of nice. He's getting abused. And uh 'cause he's just a douchebag in everything that he's in. Oh, God. But the uh uh also brought aside, I I gotta I gotta analyze the relationship between what led Doctor Angelo to Job? Which is really an airplane situation, a real Billy, have you ever seen a grown man naked situation?
Misty: Yeah. Do you like gladiators?
Gary Hill: Why don't you come down to my weird basement?
Misty: I'll play some games with you. And he's all stoked about it. He's just like, dude, is it just me when he walk first walks out of his shed? With his overalls and shit on, doesn't he look like a young Trey Parker? Motherfucker looks just like Trey Parker.
Gary Hill: I the crazier part is I think he buttons the one the one strap over as he comes out of there. And I have to go back and see now, just to see. If that's the thing, 'cause I I know he has no guardian and I I forgot to mention Jeffrey Lewis of this movie. Jeffrey Lewis is I guess his his Partner in the lawnmowing business, I guess. He's the brother of the preacher that he's staying with who dies an amazing death. Let me tell you.
Misty: You can't have a Stephen King movie without an abusive preacher of some sort in it.
Gary Hill: This is a good one where he finds his cowboy smut. I guess that he's trying to emulate this cowboy by wearing his fancy blue jeans, you know? But that seems hilarious. Yeah, the relationship between those two is just strange because he's like, yeah, you know what? I got this simpleton. I'm going to go out of the limb here and just make him better. I don't care what the research says. His brain synapses can explode on all cylinders. But you know what? This Tartan will do, so let me put him in my lab and let's play some games with him. This is really creepy and really wrong, you know.
Misty: And I find it really hilarious how, like, watching these old movies concerning things like virtual reality and stuff like that, because they're like, it's It would change the world, and it's like now you just have people on YouTube.
Gary Hill: That's where I have to get to where the love should be for this film because there are parts of the Lawnmower Man. And it's research that is structurally sound. W with the right stimuli with a brain like Job's, who's not he's not ret he's not retarded, he's just simple. He knows how to do but he has skills to do things.
Misty: Right.
Gary Hill: With the right stimuli and the way he's doing it, it's possible, but not in the sense of it being like him having supernatural powers to like people on fire. Or levitate things. That's where you get in the realm of ridiculousness.
Misty: Yeah, absolutely. Like they're working on treatments like that for Alzheimer's patients and things like that at the minute, you know, to help them retain some of the old memories. That they lost. But yeah, you're not going to fucking. And he didn't even become a like god-like, really. You know, he was still very much a human, but he was just a human that could do stuff. You know, like his mentality never, you know, when I think of God, like, I think, and honestly, I think Lucy did the best with this. You wouldn't give a shit. About these small, puny things that are going on around you anymore, because you can your sight is so much bigger than that. But he still remained a very emotional, in the moment human.
Gary Hill: Well, he's going to go crazy crazy until he overdosed himself to make him, I guess, kicking overdrive. You know, that's when this film gets really crazy. where he starts turning people into fucking bubbles and shit and, you know like, yeah, this is really stupid looking. But, you know, the the the the the base storyline of the Lawmore Man deserves a little more love, it deserves a little bit more you know, looking into, in my opinion. So that's why I chose to to do this this show, this high on enlightenment thing, because The the next one gets even stranger, but in a more scientific way, I think. I don't know. We'll we'll see. I'll do do some major research on that to figure that out. But L Lawmore Man itself is is It's really dumb 40% of the time. It's 60% of it in it.
Misty: Well, I mean, honestly, like, this is one that I Talk a lot of shit about it, but realistically, if you'd seen it at the time it came out, it was awesome. Like, when it came out, yeah, when it came out, it was amazing. But watching it now, you're just like, oh my God.
Gary Hill: There was like that I forget the walk-in film where they were using like stuff like this to go into people's brains and stuff like that, but there was that This came out like the cell came out with with J Lo and Vincent and Ofrio where she can go inside of the serial killer's brain you know, there wasn't I think uh Existence, the Cronenberg film about the the video game uh assassins and shit. It's it's it a world. Yeah, that that came out There wasn't but when this came out, there was like you said, there was nothing else like it. And I think that the science that that is true, that that begat of this 15 page short story. I forget how long. It wasn't long at all. It has nothing to do, of course, they did this with 20 Steeming King short stories in which they took an idea from it and made something entirely, you know, different, but has some of the same themes. I think that, um The original short story was about an old man who was the lawmore man, and I I forget the plot. It was really thin and like 15 pages, like I said. It was nothing like this, nothing extravagant. But um yeah, at the end of the day, though, you know, that this film, the sequel is even hokier because it had y you got one year later. I surprised that it was this fast, but Job is replaced by Matt Matt Freer Freuhr, who's a he's in Max Hendrom, and he's in The Dawn of the Dead remake. He in a whole
Misty: Oh, God. Yeah, he's in a stand.
Gary Hill: He in tons of stuff.
Misty: Yeah, that's another one that's in everything.
Gary Hill: Yes. He plays Job in this movie, which at the end. The lab blows up, and Job is found, but he's still very aware of who he is. So they're going to use him to to build like this giant conglomerate internet network which like, yeah, we got control of this guy, but then the Dan Joe gets control of it like he knew he was gonna and uh Yada yada yada. Austin O'Brien returns, people, as the same kid, but in the future. See, it's a year later. But they're like twenty years or or thir thirty five years into the future or something.
Misty: Full back to the future mode.
Gary Hill: It's like but he hit puberty. He he hit puberty hard. That that little uh that little kid. And um I think this was post My Girl 2. I don't recall. But the movie's really dumb, but I really like it for some reason. Go back to our Sloppy Seconds episode on Beyond Beyond Cyberspace, it's there. But yeah, this one, the performances were fine. I really love the mind manipulation Job was pulling because Dr. Angelo was a shitty husband to his wife. I forgot to bring that up. How much of a piece more of a piece of shit. This is like people like, oh, that guy at the gas station was really mean. That temptress neighbor was really mean. Let's talk about what a prickbag Dr. Angelo is some more. He has a a very attractive wife who he's very cruel to, you know, for for to save his own research. There's a point in the movie where where Job fucks with her head and she becomes like Susie Homemaker that'll like, you know, make him a pie and then suck his dick kind of thing. That's hilarious. Because at the beginning, he's like, Yeah, Dr. Angelo is a real asshole, but does he really deserve this automaton wife? Because deep down inside But we all know a real bitch, not necessarily our spouse, and we love to get step-rented all day long. It's like, yeah, bitch, go get me a beer, you know. Oh, God. We have that one person that you would love to do that to. Don't lie, audience, 'cause you you know it's true, okay? You know. She gets her mind switched, and then for some reason, he's walking around wearing that suit for the rest of the film. I don't know why he's doing that anymore.
Misty: My God. Oh. It's just so breathable. It's roomy. It's scary.
Gary Hill: Oh, yeah it's roomy, especially in the crotchel region, you know, when you shrink the which is the dumbest part of this movie. The part where he fully immerses himself in his cyberspace and that suit just shrinks like nobody's business, you know? You got the cyberspace hims, that's what happens to you, okay? Your body shrinks to nothingness, and then you're stuck in the world. And then, in the sequel, you're expected to believe that he lost about 20 pounds. And he became bald, but yet still still fully formed Matt Frewer in a wheelchair.
Misty: Fully formed Matt Frewer.
Gary Hill: It's like, hey, I'm okay.
Misty: It's all fine. It's fine.
Gary Hill: I'm all. I'm going to take over this database and fuck up the world. You know? No, but some of the some of the like the Jeff Faye Jeff Faye's treasure. I love this guy and stuff. He's good in this. I love body parts. He has an amazing role in What's he in Cycle? He's in Cycle 3. He has an amazing role in Planet of Terror where he plays the barbecue guy in Planet of Terror, you know?
Misty: Oh, God, yeah. I forgot that was him.
Gary Hill: Yeah, that's him with Michael being. But yeah, he's great. He gives like some great monologues about, you know. And I love the end of this movie because s something he says happens to where, you know, wha when I am gone, all the phones in in the world will ring all at once. You'll know just who it is. And then it happens like, yeah, the world is kinda fucked now. And then it kinda and then it kinda ends. And I really like the ending to this movie for that reason. You kinda you kinda look past. Like the Vectorman bullshit, where all the people are turning into bubbles and shit, and he turns himself into like a plague of bees and all the stupid stuff. You gotta forget about all that. Not the bees, you gotta forget all that when you get to the ending. And then you get precisely what his goal was. You realize, you know what, the world's never going to be the same. And then you go to the credits, and then that's that's all the movie you get.
Misty: Yeah.
Gary Hill: You watch Director's Cut, you've sat there for two hours and 21 minutes watching it. And you're like, was it really worth it? It's like, yeah, 60-40, like I said. So I'm going leave it there and ask you. What else do you think of it? Anything else you want to say about Lawnmower Man? And what is your rating 1 to 10?
Misty: If you'd asked me this when Lawnmower Man came out, I would have given it probably a 7 or 8. But rewatching it now, five out of ten. Five out of ten, mainly because of The super awkward sex scenes.
Announcer: Oh, yeah.
Misty: The rapist neighbor, because everybody's just cool with it.
Gary Hill: There's several rapist neighbors in this film, wouldn you? You gotta specify, you know. The fucking chick, the wife. I'm quite sure the pastor wanted to fuck him, too.
Misty: I'm just saying, you know. Yeah, at least he died horribly, though. She didn't die horribly.
Gary Hill: In the church, no less.
Misty: I love a church death. You know me, I love a church death. I really, really love a church scene.
Gary Hill: My favorite church scene in any movie is. And people hate this movie, but it's a Hellraiser 3 Hell on Earth in which Pinhead is like taking pieces of himself and feeding them to the priest. This is my body, you know, shit like that. I was like, it's so sacrilege. It's so wonderful. I love that
Misty: That is pretty great.
Gary Hill: Yeah. That is pretty great. I'll continue. I'm sorry.
Misty: But yeah. Yeah, so so for that reason, it's not that it's bad, it's just that it hasn't aged well. And you can say that about a lot of movies. Yes. The premise Is it's at the time was really unique, but it's one that we're all super familiar with at this point. You know, it's same premise in Ghost in the Shell, same premise in you know It goes it it we're used to that now, so it doesn't seem as impressive. So if I recommend somebody watch it now, I'm gonna give it a five out of ten. If you haven't seen it, like, you know, it's d it's not gonna blow your mind, but You know, you're not going to want to throw your TV out the window either.
Gary Hill: Sorry about that. Yeah, me. Matt, you're good. You're good. Me, um, yeah, I still I still really dig it. It's my kind of dumb fun. You know, like the movie Strange Days is science that doesn't work in it, but I still really like it. Yeah.
Misty: I was expecting so much more from the year two thousand because of that movie.
Gary Hill: I love films that has science in it that really doesn't work. We haven really haven't done it. I we're gonna do Pulse one day, not the Asian one. But the one in which in the eighties which electricity goes crazy in houses That sounds interesting. I've not seen it. It stars Clifty Young and um A young, young Matthew Lawrence is in the movie, and basically electricity is the villain of the film because it does it never really explains why it does it. but electricity is alive like it is in real life, but is is choosing to attack this block and the people inside of it through their electronics.
Misty: Just this one block?
Gary Hill: Yeah. What did they do?
Misty: Jesus. This was in the 80s.
Gary Hill: That's what it.
Misty: I 86, I think, just came out. If you lived in this neighborhood, what did you guys do to piss off electricity?
Gary Hill: They never explained it, and I love it. I love that they they don't need really need exposition.
Misty: About what happens.
Gary Hill: They just don't explain it. It just happens. I love it.
Misty: See, I love I love it. I love bird. I love the birds for the same reason. I love it when shit just goes down and nobody knows why. Well, the birds happened.
Gary Hill: You why the birds happen? Because that bitch Tippy Hedgemon brought those fucking uh those fucking um those finches, whatever the fuck she brought into the I think they were like the loving birds or the kissing birds I forgot who she brought in there. And she fucked up the pecking order, so that's why the fucking birds went crazy. Fucking bitch.
Misty: You know? This is all her fault. She just had to have those fucking birds.
Gary Hill: They were correct in saying, yes, when you came to town, this started to happen. Because, yes, when you came to town, this started to happen.
Misty: I'd like to think that it's because she's one of the cat people from the movie Cat People and the birds can sense it, you know.
Gary Hill: So yes, Mr. Hitchcock, you had every right to abuse Tippy Hedger back in the day because she fucked up that town, man. Fucked it up. Oh my god. What was I even talking about? Oh, Pulse and Ghost in the Machine. I've seen that before. Yeah. Ghost in the Machine is a magical film in which. Uh which that would probably go better better with Shocker because this is a film in which a a killer who works at a computer store gets a hold of Karen Allen's uh scans uh ki Karen Allen's um Address book onto a computer, and when he dies, his soul goes into the computer and goes to kill the people that are in it, one by one, in hilarious ways. Somebody gets killed with a microwave hilariously. And yeah, that's another show for another time. So Shocker and Ghost of the Machine coming very soon to the Citadel Beef podcast, people. But yeah, I I give it I give it a good I'm gonna give it a seven out of ten, because I still enjoy it. I enjoy the ideas more now that I analyze them more of the stuff that could really be a thing and the stuff that's just fucking nonsense. Like 40% of this movie is nonsense of Joe's powers. Much like 40% of the stuff in the next movie is nonsense, probably as well. But I don't know. I've never used more than 100% of my brain before. Technical difficulties. But yeah, we'll be right back with Lucy from 2014 Prejudice.
Hello this is the Doomed Show: Hello, this is the Doomed Show. Keep on keeping on and keep on trucking, America. We don't listen to our feedback because we don't get any. The truth hurts. I just alienated the two people that give us constant feedback. Sorry, guys. That's gotta go. That's gotta go in there. So on the show, we talk about giallo movies and slasher movies and cult movies. Sometimes we even talk about Cameron Mitchell and his movies. I am Richard. Who are you? I'm Brad, a guy that's not Richard or Jeffrey or Simon. That's right. We have four people, and we always talk at once, except to each other. Jeffrey lives up north. Simon lives across the world. Richard lives in Penis, Alabama. Hello This is the Doom Show is a proud member of the Legion Podcasts Network. Check out the other shows on LegionPodcasts.com You can check out more Hello This is the Doomed Show. At hello doom show. podomatic. com or at doommoviethon. Hello, this is the Doom Show cookbook. Do you like hot dogs? We got them. Do you like mac and cheese? We got it. Do you like cheddar? We have it. Actually, we don't. No, no cheddar. Just Colby. Colby Jack. Hello, this is the Doomed Show. We never gave up on you because you never gave up on us. Wow.
Lucy Trailer: What happened? What did you do to my stomach? What's going on? You've merely slipped loophacking into your lower Tummy, and you're going to transport something very special to us. Hey! You speak English? No, no, no. You speak English? Yes! Yes, take me to the hospital now. Somebody put a bag of drugs inside me. I need you to take it out. It's leaking. It is estimated most human beings only use. 10% of the frame's capacity. Imagine if we could access 100%. Interesting things begin to happen. Yes? Professor Norman, my name's Lucy. I just read all your research on the human brain. It's a little rudimentary, but you're on the right track. Thank you. I have access to 28% of my cerebral capacity. I can feel every living thing. Since when did you start writing Chinese? Since now I go what happens when she reaches 100% I have no idea. All this knowledge. You can unlock secrets that go beyond our universe. I'm not even sure that mankind is ready for it. It's like all things that make me human are fading away.
Gary Hill: Lucy from 2014 uh stars Scarlett Johansson, Morgan Freeman, and a whole fuckload of Asian people people. It is written and directed by Luc Besson, who gave us the professional and Fifth Element and lots of other good stuff. We'll see if this film's good. Uh the plot synopsis is this a woman accidentally caught in a dark deal, turns the tables on her captors and transforms into a merciless warrior evolved beyond human logic. That really fucking sucks, okay? Lucy is basically a mule because her boyfriend got her into some shit. She puts this she is forced to have this powder that is basically synthetic. It's got like CH4 or something like that. But it's basically Um, synthetic stuff that that makes like babies' bones grow whilst inside the womb and stuff.
Misty: So she she gets it inside of her gut.
Gary Hill: She gets accosted by some airport security, the package breaks and she just goes batshit insane, uh doing crazy Matrix moves to people and fucking people up and Been going on Morgan Freeman's TV and enlightening him and shit, but I'll kick it to you, Misty, ask you what you thought about Lucy from 2014.
Misty: Well, obviously, we already talked about my pet peeve, and Lucy is a big offender on the 10% brain thing. But I Was this based on an anime?
Gary Hill: I really don't know. Keep talking and I'll look.
Misty: Yeah, it seems very much like an anime. The way, like the characters, the over-exaggerated, like, okay, at one point. You know, all Lucy does, she's leaving, and this guy handcuffs a briefcase to her and is like, go take it in. Or, you know, you're just stuck with this briefcase on your arm and shit. And they bring obviously it's full of the blue glass looking stuff, which is awesome.
Announcer: Yeah, it does it for. And they haul out their resident
Misty: Yeah, they haul out their resident junkie to test it. And you could not get a more anime junkie. I, he's all ragged and he's stumbling around, and his teeth are all rotten. And it just feels very much like an anime to me. And a lot of it. reminded me a lot of the serial Experiments of Lane, which is an anime series from the nineties, I think. Might be 2000, but I doubt it's any later than that. But it has a very similar it has a very similar plot and it has a very similar feel to it. And the ending is quite similar as well, which is interesting. So it just made me wonder if it was based on an anime and I just didn't know about it.
Gary Hill: No, it's it's not based on anime though. It's it is it not? Apparently, it's according to the IDB trivia doesn't mention it all, but I'd imagine that'd be something that they mentioned.
Misty: Yeah. It's it's so it's very m much like an anime. in the way it's presented, the colors, the atmosphere, which I really like. I quite like the whole it's got almost like a cyberpunk feel to it, and I I love that. I love me a cyberpunk. type of movie, you know. Um so yeah, I liked it better than I liked Lawnmower Man, but when I first saw Lawnmower Man back when it came out I liked Lawn Moore Man more than I logged Lucy the first time I saw Lucy. If that makes any sense at all.
Gary Hill: No, no, no.
Misty: It makes total sense You know what I mean?
Gary Hill: It took me. And this is going to sound weird and thinking, why would you go back to the film? It took me a good two or three times to really immerse myself in Lucy because it's a thinker, if that means anything to people, because it You have to watch and and realize what's happening to to her and why this is a thing in this movie. Like why like are why are all of her cells going all at once, like going crazy and stuff. Like you start to notice things. And you notice more and more things. So it took three times for me to like Lucy, but why I kept going back and doing it because I was intrigued by certain things that maybe I missed.
Misty: Yeah.
Gary Hill: So every time I watched it, I would catch more things.
Misty: You know, I think for me, the science put me off a bit because when you have the scientists speaking about it and you have sort of Morgan Freeman's character doing talks on it and things like that. It's it sounds exactly like the conversations like we used to have when we were all sitting around on acid. And stuff. Like, it it doesn't sound like proper science. It sounds like, oh, but, you know, this quantum put quantum in front of everything, you know, kind of thing.
Gary Hill: He's talking exposition in this movie. He we have walking exposition, we have talking exposition. And that's Morgan Friedman. She wasn telling you about the brain and how it works and how dogs are somewhat smarter than humans.
Misty: The French cop. Don't know why he was there. I've got no fucking idea why he was there. He had no purpose.
Gary Hill: She didn't need him to be there. You're correct about that.
Misty: Why is this guy here? You know, was it just like Well, we gotta make her kiss someone.
Gary Hill: First of all, if you need the drugs to survive, which in the end, she does, but she doesn't survive. Why would you tell the cops where the drugs are? I don't understand this.
Misty: Yeah, yeah, the logic is not strong. At the end of the day, it's a decent action flick. Actually, I'm going to say it's a good action flick. It's a good action flick. I like the color palettes. I like the The look of it, I think it's pretty. It's a really pretty film. But I mean, again, it's not, it's an action flick to me. You know, it's like Watching the Matrix or something.
Gary Hill: Yeah, Lucy to me, it's a very it was marketed shitty, if I remember correctly. Like, they marketed it, and I think this is the most successful French film of all time. I think it made $463 million worldwide. made a whole lot of money. So but they've been marketed as like this big action film like The Matrix.
Misty: Yeah.
Gary Hill: And that's just part of the movie. Once you get into it, because that's when I went to the theater, and it goes, I see this in theaters. I went in thinking like that; this is going to be a big action movie, Scarjo's going be knocking people against walls of their mind and stuff, and all these things happen in this movie. But the events that lead up to it may seem kind of hokey on a first watch.
Misty: Yeah. I dislike Like, okay, there's a philosophy that's in this movie that's in a lot of movies. I go into the whole 10%. Oh. if humans can evolve, can be better, and things like that, then they won't be caught in the trappings of greed and petty bullshit. But every single time they try to show a person doing that, and they still can't manage it. They don't get there. You know, they still, they're still. Part of it, you know? So it kind of defeats its own purpose in that way. But that's just philosophically on the movie's ethos, not the actual movie itself. The movie itself They did their best. It's not bad. Like, I didn't even, you were right about the marketing because I didn't even hear about this movie until it was out, like, two or three, like, two or three years after it was out. I'd not even heard of it. And somebody's, oh, you should watch this. So the marketing had to have been awful. So when I watched it, I didn't know what the fuck I was watching. So I think that probably made for a better experience, like than if you were going in I like that you compared its marketing to the Matrix because it's like, oh, you're marketing it as the Matrix, but really it's more like the Matrix 2.
Gary Hill: No, 'cause that's what you saw, like, in the previous, like, her throwing people against walls and her shooting with the gun and this, that, or the other. But you get down to the marrow of the film There's a lot of stuff in here, you know, like the whole science is just theories. And it doesn't play with it like it's anything else because Morgan Freeman and of course his group of scientists towards the end. Are all ignorant to what's going on with Lucy because they've never seen anything like that before, so they all have to come up with their own thing until, of course, the very end to where she says, you what, I'm gonna pass this information out of the world because I'm dying.
Misty: Yeah.
Gary Hill: She essentially turns herself into a USB drive and says, Here's all the information you'll ever need to know about the brain and how it works. Because I'm self-aware and I fucking know everything. So here you go. There's no need to prop up, you know. hypothesize anymore that nobody did anything. Here's all the information you'll ever need to know, and this is all I could pass on to you is this.
Misty: 'Cause I'm dead.
Gary Hill: You know, I anyway anyhow, she's dead anyway. Swing it.
Misty: But, you know, that French guy, the next time he takes some girl home, he's gonna be, Man, is she watching me?
Gary Hill: she's fucking everywhere. But yeah, the the hokey stuff is like her being able to go on the different devices, and that works much better in this movie than it does in Lawnmore Man, because the fact that she becomes like ep she could be anywhere, she could be on your tablet or on your T V, whatever, she could transfer her being or her image or whatever you want to call it. But there's little stuff in this film that that'll get your heartstrings going. Like, yeah, one of my favorite scenes of the whole film is when she's talking to her mother on the phone And she's describing all this stuff that she would have no idea how to remember. Like the first time her mother touched her skin and stuff like that, she would never be able to remember this. But since her brain is working on all cylinders She's able to remember all this stuff. And it's weird for the mother, but it's a tender moment for her. And I it again.
Misty: I dug it.
Gary Hill: Again, there's parts of these movies. It like like you mentioned with the hereditary thing earlier with the the the fucking dandeli of a color dandelion girl, mama had a baby and her head popped off. But uh that's insensitive. If if if you had all these feelings all at once and you know, 'cause she she was essentially she was Johnny monomicking herself, she was overloaded with information. That she had no idea how to handle or what to do with, you know, how would you react? You know, but once she started getting a hold of stuff, like, like all my cells are working at the same time, I'm gonna flip up my my hair and change it a different color. You're supposed to assume that she's her her her synapses are working on such a high level that she can literally manipulate, you know, her how many fingers she has. And you could change her hair. And you know, you have to you have to assume a lot of things in this movie. And I don't think that it's really sit out there to say, hey, you have to believe all this. It's like, no, but this is a hypothesis of what could happen. If this were to happen.
Misty: Yeah.
Gary Hill: It's science fiction. And that's all science fiction is, a hypothesis of what could happen.
Misty: Absolutely. I quite liked the. Flashing of what percentage she was up to carrying act. You know, like it was almost like a You know, a la card in the Helsing anime. Like, you can unlock this next power level kind of thing.
Gary Hill: Like, run, Lola, runner, just a film I do not like. It's a film that people love, though. It it runs that same kind of way, you know, she has like an hour to get the money for her boyfriend or something like that. Yeah, yeah. But, um Yeah, Lucy's wild. I recommend it to anybody. But, like I, it's I recommend I'd recommend Lucy.
Misty: Thank you.
Gary Hill: It's a thinker. It's really a thinker. So if you watch it the first time and you're looking for just an action movie, you're going to be really disappointed. 'Cause there's so much more going on in the movie than just an action movie.
Misty: Yeah. It's it's like a psychedelic action movie. Yeah, it's definitely not like the uh the fucking Rambos or, you know nothing.
Gary Hill: You know, it does better than the Matrix does, which is, you know These are all ones and zeros.
Misty: It explains it better than the Matrix did in three movies.
Gary Hill: You know what? It it doesn't leave it open-ended. It just says, you know what? Here's the end of this movie. And you know what? We're not required to have another one.
Misty: Yeah. Again, the end reminded me a lot of Ghost in the Shell because that's got a very similar ending. Yeah, it's like almost a little ode to those types of things because it's got everything in it.
Gary Hill: In this film, Scarlett Johansen, although she's looking pretty hot because it's kind of hard to ugly, Scarlet Johansson. She's not overly sexualized in any point of this film. She's not like, Oh, here are my shits and here are my, you know, whatever.
Misty: And let me let me t I I fucking loved that. And they they did a detailed job of it too. Because if you notice her fingernails, her nail polish is like halfway chipping off and stuff, and her nails are short. They they little details like that, I love. I love, love, love that because you know, how many times you watch the you know, oh, she's supposed to be this street chick and she'll have perfect nails.
Gary Hill: You know what I know that's not true. I've seen enough girlfriends to know when when, you know Like it's down to to the end there, the nails are not perfect anymore, you know. Yeah. Yeah, but I that's one of my favorite parts of the film is it's it's really hard to to make her I'm not even gonna say ugly, but she's very plain in this movie and I kinda like it. I I li I like the action scenes. I think the great the one of the greatest things In this field that I love the most is where it looks like she's shooting the gun and what looks like in the like just through the door randomly But then she opens the door and you can see the bodies on the ground.
Misty: Oh, yeah.
Gary Hill: Like she knew precisely where to shoot before opening the door. And that's fucking badass.
Misty: Yes, it is.
Gary Hill: She goes to see the Korean the I think is it Korea Korean or Chinese? I they had d they were from they were in Souls, his Korean boss and She has bullets in the gun, but she wants to torture him. So she gets the knives that are revealed to her back, and she just jams them into his hands like she's fucking Liam Nason or something. It's like, yeah, I'm going get to know what I want to know, or the next one's going to go with your dick, probably.
Misty: Oh, God, yes.
Gary Hill: Man.
Misty: No, she, her performance was fucking fantastic in this movie.
Gary Hill: She's so great.
Misty: She was fantastic. She was so good. I mean, she even had the snot bubble fear. You know, I mean, how hard does it have to be? You know, like, I can't snot. bubble on purpose.
Gary Hill: Man. Um yeah, her her, you know, sort of relationship with with with with Morgan Freeman played really well. Basically They make scientists look really stupid in this film. And I kind of love that they kind of have that glee of wanting to know more. I haven't seen something like this since Close Encounters or Starman. in which, you know, they have a scientist who who who know a lot of other things, but when that scene happens where where the aliens come And and you know, I forget the actor's name, but he was in The Untouchables and the Buddy Holly story. The guy who plays the scientist in Starman, but he finds out who Jeff Bridges really is It's like the scene in Harry and the Hendersons where Don Amici first beats Harry. And I get really excited every time it fucking happens. The powerhouse performance by Mr. Amichi is the emotions are there and it's very real. Much like, you know, in in this thing where Morgan Freeman realized, like, yeah, I guess this bitch is the truth. I have nothing else to say. All b all the sides That I've worked my life into means absolutely fucking nothing because this woman exists. It is yellow.
Misty: It's yellow. I fucking loved. That nothing happened to the scientists, that they got to be there and observe, but nothing happened to them. You know, there wasn't some big explosion or none of that shit. They got to just be scientists, and you know, you don't get to see that. Like you said, like close encounters, they got to set up properly and just observe. The action. You know, in a way, they're acting, you know, on behalf of the audience. You know, if we had met somebody like this, you know, we'd be all, oh my God, bitch can fly and shit.
Gary Hill: It's like, I don believe the I don't believe what I'm seeing, but I fucking look at it right now. Yeah. I'm going to leave it at that because maybe a lot of folks didn't see Lucy listen to this podcast. And I suggest you guys go watch it because I think that it's my. I really love Fifth Elements, so I'll it's my third favorite of his films. It's uh really good. And uh I'll ask you now, what's your what do you anything else you want to about? What you give a one to ten?
Misty: Lucy Lucy gets a seven. Lucy gets a seven. You know what? Lucy gets an eight. Because I do recommend people watch it because, regardless, like my brain thing, that's a personal pet peeve. You know, most people don't give a shit about that at all. It's just my crazy ass. So, you know, I think people enjoy it. You know, it's visually stunning. The performances are good. The casting's good. It's all good. You know, so fuck yeah. Eight. Lucy gets an eight.
Gary Hill: Yeah, Lucy, you know. Also, one more thing. Why her name is Lucy? I love how they explain away that in case you guys aren't. Science nerds or know anything about science that that was the first version of a human they found that they named it Lucy. That's why, you know, they made a point to mention it in the film. Yeah. The new evolution, Lucy. Yeah, good shit. You know, it turned to me as well, though. I enjoy it. I enjoy it on the rewatches. I think I watched it three times for the show because this show was supposed to happen like. like a month ago or something, or three weeks ago. I hope you guys like our our banter little to no work went into this, so I hope you guys really like it. Uh eight out of ten for Lucy as well. I re I recommend it, like I said. But uh we'll uh be right back to talk about one dead person that I'll wanna want to mention, and uh because she's a very important one. And um, after the break, I'm gonna close out the show.
Frigay the 13th Podcast: Hey, Andrew. Hey, Maddie. Do you like horror movies? I sure do. Well, did you know that most horror movies are inspired by real-life horror? Really? Like. What? Well, take The Shining, for instance. That's based on Stephen King's real-life addictions, or The Purge, which could be our country any minute now. Oh, and The Strangers, which is based on a real-life murder. People should be talking about these things. Hey, guys. Oh, hey, producer Michael Michael. Well, I hate to break it to you, but somebody already is. It's you. That's right. We are Frigay the 13th, the podcast where we talk about horror in real life and horror in media. All from an LGBTQ perspective. Cause we're gay, y'all. We are proud members of the Legion Podcast Network, and we can be found on iTunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher, or wherever your favorite podcasts are found. And follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Come along with us on this crazy journey and As always, get slayed.
They must be destroyed on Sight: Hey, feeling down. Feeling low? Not enough podcasts about movies in your life? Why not try? They must be destroyed on site! The new podcast cure-all, sure to get you right with the world and on a path to better living. We have exploitation, we have Italian horror, we have zombies, we have slashers, we have crime films. We have spaghetti westerns. We even have sci-fi and sex comedies. So take a dose of. They must be destroyed on sight. As needed, and let the hosts Lee Russell, Daniel Harper, Paul Romalle, and the odd guest hosts cure what ails you. Warning may cause atrophy, africonsumption, black fever, bone shave, chin cough, colid. cramp colic, dropsy of the brain, elephantitis, grocer itch, jaundice, mania, niasma, mortification, palsy, ox disease, rheumatism, scurvy, Saint Anthony's fire Summer complaint and worm fit in some people. Consult the physician before listening.
Gary Hill: Alright, we're back to that segment that I. I uh It's about dead people, and it's always hard. This woman kind of made me hard a little bit. We'll talk about that in the Butcher's Block. One actress I'll mention that passed away. I think we have others have passed since we've last done a show, but I'm not going to get into all that. One of which is an actress named Verna Bloom, who was uh in a bunch of stuff, but she portrayed uh Dean Wormer's wife in Animal House. And why is that important? Because um I appreciate the older lady, and I think Mrs. Warmer in Animal House helped to elevate that even further when I saw Animal House, and she got it on with Tim Mathenson's character Otter. Just looking fine as an older lady, flirting in the grocery store like all men dream of but never accomplish.
Misty: You know, are you like a cougar, eh?
Gary Hill: Oh, yeah, I love I love being a cougar, you know. Ask you what Helen Mirror might have said my obsession with her. That that's a they call that a silver fox, man.
Misty: Hell yeah.
Gary Hill: Yeah, she passed away at 80. She left behind a good career. Most importantly to me, though, is Animal House. That's always a good time, Animal House.
Misty: Yeah.
Gary Hill: Fucking depravity and piggishness and sexist shit that's in that movie that people. You know, well, Porky's is the same way. I still watch that shit.
Misty: So fucking. Dude, I am a full-on feminist. I mean, you know me. You're friends with me on Facebook, but I fucking love I love me some Animal House. My favorite part of Animal House. is when the dude's on the steps playing his guitar.
Gary Hill: Oh, yeah.
Misty: And John Balucci walks up and just smashes the shit out of it. Every time I fucking die. I die laughing.
Gary Hill: Man, oh man. Yeah. But I'll I'll kick it to you and say, Hey, Misty, what you got coming up, girl?
Misty: We shall be getting some new episodes of Legion After Dark out next week. Fingers crossed, if all goes well, now that we've moved. And other than that. Nothing. I've a lot of real life stuff. I've got a mentor. I'm starting to train as a professional dominatrix. And kind of similar, my dog is starting obedience training soon.
Gary Hill: Better submit there, Nugget, you little bastard.
Misty: Whipping everybody into shape over here.
Gary Hill: Little fucker.
Misty: He got kicked out of his last obedience class. Did I tell you that?
Gary Hill: Oh, yeah.
Misty: He was the naughty dog. He kept barking at the other dogs and trying to play and stuff and wouldn't pay attention. And they were like Oh, we should do one-to-one lessons. I'm like, man, Nugget, come on.
Gary Hill: I am German. I say your dog is bad. Bad doggy. Bad doggy indeed. We got a new puppy in the house, and I got I got his name is Buster. You've seen pictures. He's so cute. He's a good boy. He's crying at the door right now to let me in, but he can't come in right now. It's almost time.
Announcer: Let him in, you monster!
Gary Hill: Let him cry. Let him cry it out for a minute. He'll be okay. Yeah, this show's back on. It's a new year. I got a new attitude. I'm trying to be more productive this year. So, this is going to be a thing, hopefully, every week. I don't know if you hear the same voices every week. You may hear Lee Russell pop in. You may hear Kortsyaps pop in. You may hear a bunch of people pop in. Misty's always welcome, of course.
Misty: Oh, I'm sure I'll be back.
Gary Hill: But um I want I want to have the same voice all the time because I don't want to bother everybody to do everything they don't want to or are too busy to do, but I want to I want to produce and that that's important To drink may go by the wayside or be minimalized and retooled. I'm going for. I'm going for that. The minimalized and retooled. Possibly two shows a month coming out. Because Ricky's doing his thing and Bo's got the commentaries on the Patreon, which one I'm participating in tonight. Pet Cemetery 2 People, look for that if you're a Patreon member. It's gonna be funny talking about mash taters and shit like that, you know. But yeah, I'm selling a couple well one one new project with two different shows. It's I uh one's called uh Burning for Spring Burning for Springwood, which is Freddy's Nightmares retrospective, which I don't know why I got into that for, because Merriman You know that fucking guy Merriman and Suzanne said, Hey, yeah, we'll do those with you. I was like, It really wasn my idea, but we'll do them anyway because they're kind of trash. You know, they're not that good. But that's happening and then uh the other half of the month will consume with me doing a Wonder Years retrospective With whoever else wants to come in on that. Holy shit. That's coming. And we should Oh my God. I didn't know about that. Yeah, Darren. I haven't put it out there yet. Darren's working on the art right now. Which is called Kevin Arnold Underdog or Asshole, in which we go into he is an asshole in a lot of those episodes, and it needs to be explored. about why he about why he really doesn't deserve Winnie Cooper, okay? He doesn't deserve it. He fucking doesn't. So we're we'll get into that in that Wonder's cake, , you, that that's that has to be explored. We'll get into some real deep psych psychological shit. And I'm sure when the one where Kevin Arnold gets a dog and immediately forgets about an episode, I'm sure I'll play that Billy Madison clip all day long at that motherfucker. You get up off your ass and you find that fucking dog, you know? I love it so much. Yeah, those things are happening. I can't tell you when those things are happening because they're all in the developmental stages. So, when those all happen, it'll be it'll be a lot of my voice you'll be hearing on Legion Feed. I hope you guys really despise it, because it's coming. It's comedy in spades, people Hell yeah. As always, support the Legion Patreon if you guys haven't done that already. I forget what the minimal thing is. I think it's $2 a month, is the minimal.
Misty: We're going to start knocking on doors.
Gary Hill: Yes, indeed.
Misty: By $2. Look at my $2.
Gary Hill: No, you to run it like the Baptists, okay? You to. He's got to really dig in.
Misty: I'm going to actually get a paper boy bag so and a bicycle so I've got the full outfit for demanding my two dollars.
Gary Hill: You know, me working with newspapers, that line about me wanting $2 is just really annoying now.
Misty: It'll never go away either.
Gary Hill: Especially since I think Better Off Dead is just kind of a mediocre film.
Misty: Yeah, but that reference will live on, man. Like, I still hear people saying it and they don't know what it's from because it's just whatever.
Gary Hill: is the paper boy uh uh in in the showcase uh th I forget which but the the the contestants row on prices right with the two dollars on the thing yeah That's one of the best ones ever. You remember the TV show, The Paperboy? I don't know what that is, no.
Misty: There was this TV show in the 90s, and it was this dude that was in his 30s, and he lived with his parents, and he was still a paperboy.
Gary Hill: I know I get a life with Chris Elliott.
Misty: Yeah.
Gary Hill: Yeah. Get a life. Yeah. That's good stuff. Via Twitter at GW, Twitter at Sin of Beefcast. If you guys want to follow me on there, go check that out. As always, support all the great shows on Legion Podcasts. They work hard to put stuff out for you. I underproduce to put stuff out for you, but some people work really hard on their shows. I just don't, man, 'cause I love the banter. So, if you guys love it, I love you for it, man. But I'm going to leave that here because next episode you may hear some more familiar voices on the show. But thank you so much, Misty, for coming on.
Misty: Anytime, man. Good to be back.
Gary Hill: Tell Rosie that she's still she's still in the cave, babe. She's gonna come out again for a full-on show, and I'm looking forward to it.
Misty: Yes. Oh, she's 15 now. She's going to sound so different than the last episode she was on.
Gary Hill: As long as you still have adorable cockney babies and you're a Texan, I'm okay with that, okay? They talk like that, you talk like this. I'm fine with I game. Okay, it can't be that much different.
Misty: No. Just older, I'd imagine.
Gary Hill: Just older, I'd imagine. Yes, indeed. But we'll leave it at that. This has been your Cinnamon Beef podcast, where if you've got beef, we've got the grinder. Talk to you guys soon.
Outro: I'm not gonna die and gonna have her Cause it was cold and past 11 on that Saturday in 1999 Right across from where I'm standing on that dance where she was living It was clear that she was from another Time like some baby barbarilla with the stars is her umbrella. She is made up by lights and magnetized. Do I have to go start tricking? Cause it's you, I should be checking. So she leaves a beam. Now, with her cosmic eyes, oh yeah, she's just a cosmic girl. Oh yeah, I'm another guarantee. My heart's in. Zero gravity She's on my cosmic world in the ecstasy Transmitting on my frequency She's got a warmth I'm scanning all my readers. Message sent you from a quizzer. 40,000 million nutrients away. Solar system try to phone, but they don't listen. So I answered her number all the same. She said, Step in my chest butter, so I can teleport. This could be a closing camera. I should take him out to Blana. Put Sami in a hot space. But when I see her pretty face, she's just gonna close me down. From another galaxy My heart's zero gravity She's from a thousand worlds I need an ecstasy Translate on your finger. She's got me sick. Can I see her mix? Me in a hyper space. When I see her bad face, it sends me in a hyper space. When I see her better face, it seems me in a hyper space. When I see her better face She's different. Coming up like galaxy Transmitter frequency Yeah, oh I can't change You'll be my kind woman. I need you, I want you to be my godfing girl for the rest of the time. Oh, I'm feeling my mind. Oh, you're coming back down. She'll get me down to see the things that I