People in Britain have a unique sense of humour.
For lots of foreigners it's difficult to understand and confusing. But British people are fiercely proud of their sense of humour, and the UK has produced some of the world's best comedies.
In this episode we take a look at what makes Brits laugh, and tell a few jokes along the way.
- Introduction to British humour
- What do British people laugh about?
- Sarcasm ("No sh*t Sherlock")
- What happens when you tell a joke about pasta to an Italian
- Self-deprecation (and putting yourself down)
- How to deliver a joke
- British vs. American humour
- Laughing at the mundane (and some classic British TV shows)
- Innuendo and double-entendre
- British stereotypes (and the Englishman, Scotsman and Irishman jokes)
- It takes a while, but it's worth it
Full transcript and key vocabulary available on the website: www.leonardoenglish.com/podcasts/the-british-sense-of-humour
Carry On Series
Gavin And Stacey (funniest moments)
Join the conversation:
- Join the Learn English with Podcasts community: www.facebook.com/groups/learnenglishwithpodcasts
More about Leonardo English and the English for Curious Minds podcast
English Learning for Curious Minds is a podcast aimed at intermediate level English speakers and above, where listeners learn fascinating things about the world while learning English.
There's no small-talk, no boring grammar exercises or vocabulary drills.
You'll learn English by listening, by hearing real conversations and real English, spoken by native speakers, and at a speed you can understand.
You can become a member of Leonardo English and get access to every podcast, transcripts, key vocabulary, and be able to participate in members-only live sessions.
What is English Learning for Curious Minds?
Are you looking for a more interesting way to to learn English?
English Learning for Curious Minds is where you can learn English from native speakers while learning fascinating things about the world.
Every episode comes with a transcript & key vocabulary and is spoken at a speed you can understand.
Join listeners from 155 countries and discover the most interesting way to improve your English while expanding your mind.
Find the bonus episodes, transcripts, key vocabulary, and learning materials at www.leonardoenglish.com