Intro: Welcome to the Fiscal Firehouse, a podcast dedicated to promoting financial literacy to firefighters. I'm your co-host, John Beatty, executive board member of Local 1309, a lieutenant, and also a certified financial planner. With me, I have the other co-host of the fiscal firehouse, Louis Barella, executive Board member of Local 1309 ambulance driver, and want to be financial expert. Together, John and I hope to bring clarity to the world of personal finance, specifically relating to firefighters. Firefighting is a difficult job making sound. Financial decisions shouldn't be. In today's episode of the fiscal firehouse, John and Louis kick off the new year with the discussion on building healthy financial habits that actually stick, we're focusing on simple proven strategies. You can start using right away, no complicated spreadsheets or drastic lifestyle changes needed here. These are practical moves that make reaching your financial goals more realistic. If you're a fan of James, clear buckle up and enjoy today's episode. Without further ado. Let's kick it over to local 1309 studios and the recording of the fiscal firehouse.
Jon: Welcome back to another episode of the Fiscal Firehouse. We're live here in local 1309 studios. I'm your co-host John Beatty, sitting across the table with me at this beautiful firehouse table. Fan favorite as always, Louis Barella. What's going on? Lb
Louie: Oh, I'm just glad to be here. I feel well rested. I feel, peppy,
Jon: peppy. You do look like you got some pep in your step.
Louie: a good night's sleep last night. not because we didn't have calls. We did have a couple calls last night, but we have a later shift change
Jon: Oh, the 9:00 AM shift change.
Louie: So good.
Jon: Yeah. What's, so for those of you not affiliated with West Metro, we know we've got, listeners out there outside of West Metro and the state of Colorado, which is awesome. We love you guys. but we did, we went to a 9:00 AM shift change
Louie: 7:00
Jon: from 7:00 AM From 7:00 AM Yep. Still working the 48 96 uhhuh. but we went to a 9:00 AM shift change a couple weeks ago, right. Started about the first week in January. And this was really because of, Mike Benny. Yeah. One of the smartest guys I've ever met. Chief Benny, did a lot of research.
Louie: Maybe the smartest guy in the department. I know that's a bold
Jon: that's a bold call. That's a bold call,
Louie: is in the running. He's top three if he's not number one,
Jon: top three, probably smartest people at West Metro. Definitely top three for funniest. Got some great
Louie: he's so good.
Jon: so good. So good. We love Mike. But Mike did some research, went to, Yale, got his master's degree from the School of Public Health and really focused on firefighters sleep health. That was what it was all about. So he got a lot of grant funding, did a lot of research, and his research said, in order for us to get the best restorative sleep, we gotta move our shift change back. 7:00 AM is a terrible time to do shift change. So as an organization and as a membership, we agreed to try a one year trial for 9:00 AM shift change. So really early on, Louis, you've only had a couple shift changes at 9:00 AM but what's your feeling? What's the, we will start with you.
Louie: So feeling, so I'm at a busier station, station three, and, I could tell you that all shifts are all crews at station three. Love it. We go in for shift change at 9:00 AM and the guys on B shift that we're relieving are like, they're well rested. They, they look like they're not as blown out as they used to. they love it and, and. I could tell you that my crew personally loves it too. everyone wakes up and we're like, man, that's awesome. Like we don't even have to set an alarm. Like I think people put in like an 8:00 AM alarm in case they need it. But people are generally up around 7 45, 7, even seven 30, and they're, they just feel good. They feel well rested. You don't need the nap. Like I, if I don't get a nap, when I used to come off shift, man, I was grouchy. You can ask Caitlyn, she's you are a bear when you get off a shift. And now it's not like that. Now it's like I'm ready to hang out with the kids, with the boys and go run errands and do things. I just feel better. And same thing coming on shift. you know, I would have to wake up and it wasn't bad for me, but I think I would wake up at I don't know. 5, 5 20 maybe. Yeah, five 20 is what I set my alarm for. now I don't have to do that. Now. I'm naturally waking up, or I shouldn't say naturally. The boys are
Jon: The boys are up.
Louie: boys. Yeah. But it's I, I feel better going into shift as well. So it is, I think it's a great thing. I, I can already feel the benefits. Everyone that I work with can feel the benefits of the sleep. my Apple watch, which keeps track of my sleep, is your sleep score has gone up dramatically over the last, three weeks or whatever. It feels great. I think it's a smart thing. I think it's a great thing that we did. And I don't see us going back. I think after a year when we make this permanent, everyone's gonna, I shouldn't say everyone. There's always gonna be a few people. I've heard some, negative comment generally from people who live further away. Or, I hate to slower stations. They're kind of like, well, I'm sleeping all night anyway. Sure. And, you know, not to, put anything bad against the slower stations out there that are listening to our podcast. But I could tell you for the busier stations, it's making a huge difference. Game changer. I've,
Jon: I've heard just, and once again, I'm a day worker, so I don't, I don't really fall in line with the 9:00 AM shift change. But I do, what I've received back is people are really just changing the way they go about their day. Like I've, I'm hearing about people that will, you know, if they got a good night at sleep, rather than sleep till seven 30 or eight, they might get up at 6 30, 6 45 and get a workout in before they get off shift and go to work rather than kind of be blown out, like you said, and then taking a nap and then, trying to get a workout in later. So I think it's just really, really resetting the whole parameters for when we go into work. And I'll tell you from like the training perspective. We don't really do trainings now, even on day two until after 9:00 AM Like how we set things up. Sure. It's kind of like sacred time now where, I'll never call a station before 9:00 AM I don't care if it's day one or day two, because I think the department has really put an emphasis on. And the officers should be following up on this, but we wanna make sure that, everyone is getting as much quality sleep as they can. and it's gonna be all over the board, depending on what station you work at. But, I think just fundamentally, organizationally, we're just changing the way that we think about sleep, health and firefighters health, regarding sleep recovery. So, I just want to give a shout out to, to everyone that voted for it first and foremost. And then for Mike for having the courage to actually take this on. It was a huge endeavor, for the organization to, to have the courage to adopt it. 'cause it's not been easy. Right. There's been some issues. I know, the shift commanders and the chiefs that are doing some staffing, they've had to kind of work some magic in getting people to classes and some other things. 'cause the rest of, the Denver metro area is still pretty much on a 7:00 AM or an 8:00 AM shift change. So when it comes to joint trainings and all sorts of other things, there's some
Louie: there's challenges for sure,
Jon: we're gonna go through. But, nonetheless, I'm really. Happy to hear that. Overall, like I said, especially the people that were most at risk for having some sleep health issues and sleep disruptions. Our busier stations, typically our younger folks that typically have kids, like all the other contributing factors like, man, I really hope this is gonna set us on a better path, a more sustainable path.
Louie: And, and on a related note, just to kind of maybe prep for what we're gonna talk about this set or this, episode, we're gonna talk about, some resolution, some new year habits and stuff like that. one thing related to sleep that I would say is invest in your sleep at home as well. And if that means buying a new mattress, if it's been over 10 years since you bought a
Jon: mattress, Yeah. It's a real thing. It's not just a marketing technique,
Louie: and I are not gonna be like, don't be spending money on a mattress. if you need a mattress, if you need blackout curtains at home, if you need a white noise machine, go, I, I kind of make my bedroom a sanctuary where we have, the blackout curtains and we have a really comfortable, nice mattress and good sheets like we have invested in our sleep. Especially because for me, that's huge. When, when I do get to sleep, I, I need quality sleep. So,
Jon: and the environment that you set up really will help you, get to sleep faster, have more quality, deep rem sleep, like all those other things when you're talking about your overall physical health. Yeah. So much of that is tied to sleep health.
Louie: Exactly. And I, I consider it an investment. It, it's not just an expense, it's an investment. You're investing in your health, you're investing in your future when you spend money, good money on, sleep stuff, whether it's, it's a mattress or
Jon: No different than a gym membership. No different than eating healthy or, spending quality money on quality food. Like all those things. you don't see it right away. Well actually I think some of that, you do see it right away, but your, your future self will definitely thank you for, for taking care of yourself at a, at a younger age. So,
Louie: sure.
Jon: All good stuff. But thanks for the feedback, Louis. But, I'm really excited and we'll continue to report back as we get some more time. Right. And we can actually do a little bit more of an analysis and Mike will definitely have, some of that available as well.
Louie: Yeah, maybe we'll have Benny on the podcast and he can share some things with us. That'd be cool. I think he'd like to do that.
Jon: I like that idea. So Louis kind of already broke the seal on this one, but what we're gonna talk about, we're recording this the end of January. So, January, end of December is always about New Year's resolutions. so we're gonna call this, smart financial habits for the new year for you guys to consider. But this really did kind of set me on a rabbit hole when I was thinking about a theme when we came up with a theme. It's like New Year's resolutions. Oh boy, do they work? Yeah. You know, are are, are they valid? Do they work? what do you think the research says, Louis? So you make a lot, you make a, a New Year's resolution. What do you think the likelihood that that resolution staying the whole year, basically creating a brand new habit and sticking with that habit, what do you think the likelihood of that happening? and they've done a ton of research on this, right? This is not just one person that's oh, let me, let me dabble in this. Like they've done a lot. Of research around habit forming and sticking with habits.
Louie: think it's low. I think people's ability to stick with a habit decreases with their motivation. And I'm, I'm sure that happens with like gym memberships. You see the huge influx in January of gym memberships and then everyone clears out in February. So I guess I'm, I'm assuming that's for any kind of resolution you make, it's gonna be low.
Jon: Yep. So what I had was able to, kind of, the consensus that I was able to, to source out was somewhere between about eight to 12% of people that start with a New Year's resolution will actually be successful one year post. So after a full year, whatever it was, whether it was, to get, to get in shape, to lose weight, whatever those things were, when they quantified it at the end of the year, only about eight to 12% were successful. So why is that?
Louie: I think motivation, it only lasts so long.
Jon: Okay.
Louie: Right. Like you can motivate yourself for something, but then after a while that motivation starts decreasing. And if it's not a habit, if it's not just something that you do, then you will not stick with it. You'll get, tired of it. You'll feel like it's owed to you to skip the gym or to eat unhealthy or whatever it is. So that motivation fades quickly. That's my guess.
Jon: No, I think that's pretty spot on. There's a couple different variables, that they cite. So, common reasons that people have, setbacks are not successful is the goals are too big or vague. So I just said oh, my goal was to get, healthy, physically fit. What, what does that mean? You know, are we talking about my met equivalent? Are we talking about how much I can bench? Are we talking about how fast I run a mile? Like I didn't set a specific enough a goal. I just said I wanna focus on, getting healthy this year, physically getting fit. So that's, you gotta have a much more regimented system about what you're actually focusing on. A lot of it is you're trying to change too many things at once. So, if we're just talking about physical fitness, like there's a lot to unpack with that. We're talking about cardiovascular health, we're talking about, physical training, weight training. We're talking about all these other things, rather than just dialing it down and focusing on just one thing, it's trying to change way too many things at once. So it's hard. It gets way too hard to do it. and the other problem is, people don't. Have grace and they don't allow for what they call setbacks or whatever. So let's say, I want to get, I want to get physically fit, I wanna get healthy. So starting in January, I start going to the gym and then middle of January, two to three weeks in, I'm feeling pretty good. I'm feeling like I'm making some success. And then I come down with the flu and then I miss a week of the gym. Alright, so now getting back that fourth week, man, I'm really behind and I'm really dragging and I'm, I've lost motivation because I've,
Louie: you feel like you haven't met
Jon: Yeah, I, I've, I've had a huge setback and then I just up and then I move on with my regular habits and routines. One of the things I wanna make a huge plug for, and Louis and I, before we started recording, we talked about one of our favorite books that we, that we both have read and really gotten something out of it is Atomic Habits by James Clear. I'll tell you right now, it's on any of the audio books. So if you're not a huge reader, if you just consume through a podcast, if that's your medium, man, I would encourage everyone. To source that book out, whether it's you actually physically read it or you just hear it, the messages is award-winning man, and a lot of successful people will tell you like, who was one of the, your big, one of the people that really had a big influence on how you became successful? Man, he has been cited like time in time again for like people that are very effective at their jobs or in life. Like how did you. Get this, and it's like this guy in the way that he frames it, like it's very easy, easy to read, easy to follow along with. But he's gotten, I would break it down to five things that he makes that makes habit forming easier and long term you'll be successful. So the one, first and foremost is number one, make tiny habits, not big goals. So what we talked about. So if my goal was to become more physically fit this year, it's be like, well, rather than, just make a lofty goal like that, it's well, I'm gonna focus on running a mile in five and a half minutes. Now you have a very clear, decisive kind of one variable goal. So if we were to think about this for finances, what would, how would you take that? So. If we, instead of having one big lofty goal, what would be a small, little incremental thing that we could tell someone, maybe this is something you should consider.
Louie: Yeah, I think so. Someone might have a goal of I wanna be financially independent, or I want to, be able to,
Jon: a good one. Financially independent, right? That's a big goal, right? What does that
Louie: what does it mean that's hard to do? I think a smaller habit or a smaller, goal that you can break that down to would be like, well, I know the, one of the first things I need to do because John and Louis preached this all the time, is to get outta debt. So maybe my first goal is to pay off this credit card that this credit card debt that I've had, it's $4,000, it's just been hanging around my neck. I need to pay that off. I need to set a plan and pay, whatever it is, a hundred bucks a month on this thing, or 150 bucks a month in order to pay that debt off by the end of the year. That's a very reasonable, easy to achieve, clearly defined goal. That you might be able to stick to better than just saying, I want to be financially independent someday.
Jon: No, that's a perfect example. Perfect scenario. How you take something, you can visualize it for one, but you can identify what it is specifically what the, what the goal is or what the outcome is, and then work backwards from there. So I like that. Another thing is, and I don't know, I'm, I've never been this kind of person, but I know a lot of successful people that do this, but it's to focus on identity and not outcomes. So one of the examples, and I can't remember if this actually comes specifically from the book, but it's your goal is, I want to run a marathon. And instead of saying that, you're gonna say, I'm a runner. So it's the way that you're framing things. Yeah. And now that kind of becomes your persona. Do you do that at all? Do
Louie: I do. Yeah. I, I do. So I, I, I don't know if this is from the book either, but one of the best examples is when you identify. The person who you are or who you want to be, you're more likely to stick with that identity and the habits that that identity does. For example, I'm a reader. Yeah. That is something that I, I, I, I love reading. I'm, I, it's huge. For me, it's a part of my life and I don't have to say, my goal is to,
Jon: read 50 books.
Louie: books, even though I do that. My goal is I'm, I read every day. Just every day. I know I'm gonna read, I'm gonna read a book, and that's just. What I do. And now it's not something that I have to motivate myself to do, it's just who I am. It's similar to brushing your teeth and I think this example is from the book. It's like you don't have to motivate yourself to brush your teeth. It is part of your routine. It is part of your habit, and you don't have to be like, all right, I need to make sure that I'm jazzed up and I'm ready to go and I'm ready to brush my teeth. You just it's just that time of the morning where I brush my teeth or it's that time of night where I do my bedtime routine and I brush my teeth. Reading for that is, reading for me is like that same thing with working out the people who work out consistently every day. That's just something that they do and they are like, Hey, I'm someone who lift weights or I'm someone who runs and I just do it. It's just part of my routine. It's part of my habits. That is how you achieve long-term success with
Jon: those goals. Nope, I like that. I think that's really good. on the concept of what you talked about reading. So the other one, and this is really key with finances, is make good, habits obvious and bad habits invisible. So like the example of reading. So if you wanna read more, so one of the ways that you do that is you keep books readily accessible. So where do most people read? Like most of the time it's in bed, right? So they keep their book right next to their bed as a general reminder
Louie: Put it on your pillow right
Jon: there, there you go. It's right there. It's easily visible. I know that's who I am and that's something that I derive happiness for 'em. So I'm gonna go ahead and pick up the book ver versus keeping it on the bookshelf where you have to go out and source that. Every time you wanna read, that creates more friction. Other things get distracted, and then all of a sudden you don't read anymore. So it's really making those simple wins. And this is. All the time with finances, right? You can do things with automation like that is the number one. And this is one that is referenced all the time when you talk to behavioral economists and how you really get people to change their behaviors. It's reduce friction and keep things automated. so automated savings contributing to your 4 57, set it and forget it, and then just every time it forces you to, establish that habit. super important.
Louie: Yep.
Jon: And then habits should be easy before they, before they become effective. So, once again, if things are really hard at the very beginning, it's gonna be more and more challenging, to make it successful or to get that habit to stick. So where I see this is, once again, people have two lofty of a goals. So they just, they just set that goalpost way too far in the future, and then it's gonna be really tough to achieve it right away. So they lose interest, they lose motivation, and they don't become, successful. once again, habits, especially very. S starting with tiny Habits and forming those first, will lead to, much better success. the example they use for this is, in the Secure 2.0 Act, which they, put into law a couple years ago. one of the things that they have to do now, if you're an employer and you have an employer plan, they have what's called auto enrollment. So you have to opt out of the plan and not opt in in the plan. So this took place, last year is when it actually went into law. January 1st is when, companies had to start to do this. And one of the, one of the researches that I, that I found was from the NEBR, which is the National Economics Bureau Research, huge government, that looks at a lot of, retirement savings plans. they automatically had, they went from a 64%. Opt-in rate to a, 94% participation rate just by saying we're gonna automatically put you in this. So you have to call up HR or send HR an email saying I don't want to be in the plan. So just that small little nudge into how plans are being administered got almost 30% more participation. So it's all those little things that, and that's I think, what we tried to do here with the union and our benefits is we tried to make it so you have to participate. Right? Right. So that's what the pension plan is. You don't have a choice of contributing or not, you're forced to contribute. My, my guess is your future self will thank you that the department and the union supported a plan that forced your hand and made you safe for retirement. but it's all those little incremental things that really, like long term when you're talking about investing over 30, 40, 50 years makes a huge difference.
Louie: totally. I think that's a great way to say, you, you can, you can make your identity to be that of a saver by setting up your automatic 4 57 contribution or Roth IRA contribution, set it and forget it. And now you're, that's a habit. You're now in the habit of saving and it doesn't cost you any extra brain bandwidth or, any computer work or anything like that. You set it up and you forget it. And now that's a habit and a person that you are, you're a saver now because you are saving every month for your retirement.
Jon: Yeah. your identity, your identity now changes from first and foremost, I'm a saver. I'm gonna pay myself first before I go and spend money on something else. So just a little bit of a mind shift change. And I'll be honest, I have not been one of those people that have really spent a lot of time thinking about that, but I know a lot of successful people that really take the time to visualize that and no, this is who I am. And they'll actually kinda say it out loud. I know it sounds like really hokey, but there's been a lot of evidence that says you visualizing or you just voicing that's who you're gonna be. Like, there's a lot of power of the mind to do that. So, and the last thing is, and his thing is, is like you're gonna have, you're gonna mess up. that's okay. have some grace with that. If you mess up once or twice, that's okay. More than that becomes a, a new habit that you're forming. But you, you definitely have to have some grace with that. one of those things might be something like with the 4 57, so we talk about that so much. Maybe you've been saving whatever, 5% for, for the first five years. And then you have a, and then you have a child, right? Five years, five years into your career and you're like, man, I know this is who I am and I really wanna put away 5%, but all these costs are coming in. I have to temporarily switch that from a 5% to a four or 3%. that's okay. that's what they're saying. you are still a saver. You're just adjusting this for this short period of time in your life. And then once you have gotten through that cycle, then we're gonna bump it back up to 5% and then maybe we're gonna make up for lost time and we're gonna bump it up to 7%. So I think it's having a little bit of grace with that and just realizing that just because you have a pitfall or you, you, you make a small mistake once, don't let that derail who you are and what you've achieved so far.
Louie: Yeah, I think it's great. Atomic Habits is a great book and it can apply to every area of your life for fitness, for financial health, spiritual health relationship. Yeah. You could use the principles of Atomic Habits to really help you structure your life and help you, be able to achieve good habits or to eliminate bad habits.
Jon: Yep. Yeah. And those are
Louie: clear Atomic Habits, check it out.
Jon: Highly recommend. Highly recommend. so that's James clear's version of creating new habits. So once again, we wanted to little tongue in cheek make fun of New Year's resolutions. 'cause statistically speaking, they're not successful. But Louis and I truly believe what we're gonna talk about moving forward with the rest of the podcast, everyone can do this. these are not huge life changing things. These are just small little nudges that will hopefully put you in a better position financially in 2027 than you were in 2026. And that's what Louis and I are trying to achieve. So first one is have a regular financial conversation with your spouse. Yep. I said these won't be hard. This one actually, honestly. And I was talking to another guy at the training center before I came in. We were talking about this one specifically. 'cause he asked us what we were gonna chat about and he's oh dude, that's a heavy topic. Are you sure? you want to go down that road? But I don't know, maybe, we'll talk about our own personal examples, but is this something that you and Caitlyn do? Yeah. Like we
Louie: We do, we do. So I, so this is a huge one. We put this at number one. 'cause I, I, I think it's maybe the hardest to do, but it's also probably the most important. If you are married, you should have regular financial planning conversations with your spouse. And that is because financial issues are one of the top causes of divorce. It's right up there. E even more by some studies than infidelity in a
Jon: yeah. Oh,
Louie: financial stress is cited in 20 to 40% of divorces. And that's at a minimum, that's a conservative number. 20 to 40% of divorces are either caused by or site financial problems as a leading cause of that, ending of the marriage. And so one way you can, mitigate that, or at least be aware of that, is by having regular financial conversations with your spouse. Doesn't have to be full on nerdy, detailed budget conversations once a month or anything like that. But you should have a plan and say, Hey, wife or husband, let's sit down and talk about what our goals are this year with our money. What are we gonna do with our money? What kind of home improvement projects do we need to accomplish? What kind of vacations do we want to go on? So it's not just a financial conversation. This is really a planning conversation where you talk about what you're gonna prioritize your time with your family's energy with. and then of course related to that is your finances with what are we gonna prioritize this year and how are we going to achieve that? Do we have the money, do we have the ability to meet our goals this year?
Jon: I think that's super important and it's one of those things, I think it all depends on kind of your relationships and the way that you communicate with your significant other. But this is one that I think a lot of people still can, can of tread lightly around. Like sometimes they, 'cause sometimes the conversation comes around like spending habits or what you're predisposed to do. so sometimes those can cause, some uncomfortable conversations. Just, just the other day Katie and I were talking about, we're gonna go to, Portugal this summer for our family vacation. Yeah. We've been planning for a while and all these other things. This stupid flight cost dude have not, have not come down. And I was like, terrible. I feel like I should be going. for what we're paying, I feel like we should be going like first class, and all these other things. so I'm, I'm trying to do all my research and I'm really trying to plug in like different dates and different like routes and layovers and all these other things. And I came to her with two options. I'm like, okay, option A is, we can fly on British Airways. we don't really get to pick our seats. They just assign 'em and you know, it'll be this much. It was like 1200 bucks for literally you can't even bring on a bag. You gotta pay extra
Louie: Sure, of
Jon: You don't have a seat. Whatever. I'm like, that's that's gonna be like 1200 bucks. She's okay, well what's the other option? I'm like, the other option is we can fly on United, we'll connect through here. we can pick our seats and all these other things and it's gonna be like two grand, which is a lot of money. And she's Okay, I get that. And she's by the time you factor in the bags, she's do you think it's a really good idea for us to fly with our two children, you know, across the ocean and not sit together? Do you think that's a reasonable thing? And I'm like, I'm like, do you think they would actually do that? And she's oh, 100%, dude. put you, you know, and they'll way back and your kids will be all spread out and you're gonna be that guy. And she's listen, we, we've, we know that this is something that we want to do, like vacations are really the thing that we do to connect as a family and just how we spend quality time together. And she's this is something that we value most. Do you really wanna try to like skirt the edges here? And granted, it's a chunk of money. I'm not trying to dismiss you know, that's an extra, almost three grand. It costs us to end up having to sit together to be comfortable to all these other things, which is a lot of money. But she's like, when you're looking back on these, like she's really a good person for me. I can be a miser dude. Yeah, I can, I can try to like, that, that part of me is really hard to let go of that frugality and, and she really helps me kind of reset like. Because I prioritize that too. And she's is this something? And when she frames it that way,
Louie: you're like, oh yeah, what am I
Jon: that's a poor decision for me to even put our family in kind of that position. And I think, but it's taken us a long time to get there. We've been married,
Louie: I get it.
Jon: We've been married for a while. We've gone around about some of these things. But it's taken a lot of work, but we can communicate openly about that. And honestly, like we trust each other. But that's huge. it's really nice to have someone that can be your sounding board Yeah. And vice versa and work collaboratively as a team.
Louie: and this is, this is your partner in life. Like you've, you've, you've chosen this person to kind of help you make all the big decisions and, and what you do with your money is like some of the biggest decisions you make in life.
Jon: Yeah. So
Louie: having regular conversations is good. It doesn't have to be boring, it doesn't have to be tedious. One great thing you can do to Help mitigate the, oh, the eye rolling, like we gotta have the money conversation is to make it a money date. A money date night. Yeah. Caitlin and I have done this, before kids, we used to go out and have
Jon: these conversations,
Louie: at a like, nice restaurant. Now it's Hey, we get the kids to bed. Let's open a bottle of wine. Yeah. make some popcorn and we'll sit at the kitchen table and just talk about what we're gonna do for the next year. And, and we would even do it for three months. We like to do quarterly planning, is what we call it. So we have this quarterly planning meeting where we talk about what kind of things do we want to do with the boys, what do we wanna spend our money on over the next few months? And we just work through it. And we pull out our computers and we list things down. She writes notes on what we're gonna do. I have my spreadsheet open, of course, with the budget money, and I'm. Plugging things in. Doesn't have to be that
Jon: doesn't have to be that formal.
Louie: telling you, having a bottle of wine and some popcorn or like a
Jon: Louis's gonna get a little loose and just the purse rings are coming out. Exactly.
Louie: but that's a way that we make it like more of a fun thing. 'cause it, it also helps us be excited about it too. It's oh, we're not just talking about budgeting numbers, we're talking about budgeting time and budgeting, family quality memories and how we're gonna do that. And when you tie it to that, you're like, this is important. I can see why we need to do this. I can see why this is even fun to do when we're setting up our family budget and our family, plan for the next whatever that is for you, six months or three months, or even monthly. The money dates are really good. They're really beneficial. They'll pay off dividends in the future. Just by having that plan and being on the same page with your spouse about your finances. Yeah. So
Jon: yeah, and I would just encourage anyone if you are just struggling to communicate with your significant other, and it doesn't just have to be about money, but obviously that's what our podcast is focusing on. There are specialists that's that they call 'em financial therapists. It's, it's just like you would think you sit together as a couple and kind of walk through, your conversations around money. like this is something that I think is. For some people even more hard to talk about than like infidelity. Like truly they call it financial infidelity. And it's one of those things that's always surrounded in just this guise of just like shame and a lot of other things. But if you are struggling to have that conversation surrounding money and, and all the things that money entails, there are specialists, especially in our region, like if you're live in a more rural area, it's harder to find. But this is a whole new part of, of counseling and therapy that's happening because people realize what the root cause of so many of these things are. It's not, it's typically not just about the money. There's some underlying thing, but in order to get there, you have to start to unpack some of these things. So I would encourage anyone if you are, I think it's, super healthy. To, to have those conversations. But I think that's a good one. I think it's super important. from the very first start of the podcast, we always talked about the number one decision you'll ever make in your life, not just financial, is who you end up spending your life with, right? So super important to keep those conversations coming and to have 'em, and there's a whole host of different ways, that you can have those conversations.
Louie: Yep. So that's our number one money tip
Jon: one.
Louie: for, the new year is come up with some kind of money date, or at least a way to have regular financial conversations with your spouse.
Jon: number two is, increase your retirement contributions. So you know, this, this parlays or follows up on, you know, January 1st we got some raises, which is awesome. But, trying to make those incremental changes or those incremental, contributions is super important when you're thinking about your financial health moving forward. one of the things is, and this is something that the IFF. Instituted with kind of their financial health several years ago. I don't know if you remember it, Louis, but they called it, I think it was, I can't remember if it, I think it was 15 by five.
Louie: Something like that
Jon: was basically their mantra and they said within five years, five years of your career, we would love. For you to save 15% of your salary. But they said buy five is, the thought would be you would do it in incremental changes. So 3% every year you would contribute additionally. So at the end of five years you'd get to this 15%. So I actually like that framework that might be a little bit too lofty for some people to put away 3%, every year to get to that goal. But at least here at West Metro, we know how the step grades work and, you know, after three years you're significantly making more than you were at year one. but I like that framework of just thinking about doing these incremental changes. So even if it is only, if it's a percentage amount or if it's a dollar amount, if you incrementally change that each year. 'cause we've been fortunate enough to, to get raises around here. It's something that your paycheck stays the same. Yeah. Right. And that's all the evidence and all the studies will tell you that's what people fixate on the most is what's their take home? Exactly. And if they focus on that and they know that they can live within their means on that paycheck, that take home every time they get a raise, if they move some of that raise money over into their 4 57 plan or what other investment vehicle they choose to use incrementally, that makes huge changes over the path of a 30 or 40 year career.
Louie: I think so. My fellow firefighters, if you are listening to this right now and it is the new year and you got a pay increase, I would encourage you, even if it's not all of the pay increase, bump up that contribution to your 4 57 or to your IRA or whatever it is that you're using. Just go ahead and do it. Now. You've already gotten used to, to budgeting and living off of your previous salary. Now is the time to say, Hey, I'm gonna keep that number the same or around the same, and I'm gonna take that extra money that I'm getting and I'm gonna put it towards my retirement savings, even if it's only 1%. Even if you're like, 1% a year is what I'll do, every new year, I put another 1% into my 4 57. Even if that's all you can do, that is huge over the course of a career, that is a massive increase to your retirement savings and you can do it. they, HR generally sends out all those forms at the end of the year. So you have a chance to being like the money's gone before you even see it, before you even get used to the increase pay amount, for the new year. That money is gone and it's being saved for you. And that is a way you can have an atomic habit of 1% a year or 2% a year, whatever that is, looks like for you. Just do it. I, I promise you won't regret it. We hear all, so many people in retirement say, man, I'm so glad that I saved as much as I did in our 4 57. I wish I would've saved more. This is a way to do it. This is a way to save more every year is by just increasing. By 1% or whatever that is every year.
Jon: I think that's, well said Louie. And in addition to, is I, I hope by now, and once again, this is specifically for the West Metro Peeps, but I know a lot of the other fire departments have already instituted this. but just making sure that everyone understands the 4 57 match, right? So starting with the new contract this year, the department will match up to $95 per pay period. So $190 per month, is what the department will match. So you have to put in at least $95 per pay period in order to get that amount of money. It's not front loaded, so you can't put $3,000 right. January 15th, and then all of a sudden the department's gonna match that money. It doesn't work that way. It has to be per pay period. I would be curious to talk to hr, but I would. I'd be willing to venture that. we have 100% participation because it, it literally is free money guaranteed.
Louie: It's a 100% match on your money. So it's basically you put money in and you get 100% return on your investment. It's, you're foolish if you are not getting that full match. You gotta do that.
Jon: And if we're having a tough time, and I don't want to sound callous, but if we're having a tough time saving up $95 every two weeks, come see me. Yeah, no, I'm serious there. There will be ways and Louis will and I will talk about. Item number three here in just a second. but there, there's definitely room for everyone, even from our folks that are just getting through the academy, right? And are at, third grade wages, or not even third grade wages yet they can, I, I'm confident that they've got $190 a month that we can find for 'em. So this is something, once again, your future self will thank you drastically. We've run some of the numbers on just what the difference in that match is. if you extrapolate over 30, a 30 year career and it's hundreds of thousands of dollars that you're gonna have in addition to just by making that. Incremental change. So massive. Massive change. So thinking about, once again, we're always trying to just put your finances kind of front of mind. so one of the things that we spend money on, I'm equally guilty of this, I'm sure Louis is too. Subscriptions, right? All sorts of different subscriptions. There's all sorts of subscriptions model out there. what we're telling you is not to just cut the cord on everything and cut all the subscriptions, but just do an audit Yes. Of your subscriptions, right? Is that a fair way to phrase
Louie: I think looking through your subscriptions going through, sometimes you might have to find it hidden. I've talked to so many people who are like, oh, I didn't know I was still paying for my, whatever, paramount Plus subscription or my Netflix subscription or
Jon: the automated
Louie: Google Drive subscription or whatever it is. I didn't know that I was doing that, and I don't even use that anymore. And I've been spending whatever it is, 250 bucks a year on it, or 20 bucks a month. A lot of people don't even know. So you gotta really pay attention and audit maybe your credit card statements and see. Is everything that is being charged monthly to this thing automatically. Something that I'm using and something that I need. And if it's not trim it, cut it. And that's a way that you can easily save hundreds of dollars a year. There was a survey done by CNET in 2025 that showed the average US adult spends over a thousand dollars annually on subscriptions. And another survey showed that, US adults underestimate the amount that they spend on subscriptions by about $133 a month. So they asked people, what do you spend on subscriptions? And whatever that number is, they're $133 off on what they're actually spending on those. That is a ton of money that they're missing basically by not paying attention to what is being charged to their credit card every month.
Jon: I'm sure you're probably the person, but do you go through your credit card statements? Like just just to make sure that, I mean, I don't know if you go like literally line by line, but you just kind of do a quick lands
Louie: I do, I do. And, and I'm, I, so I'm not the norm. I, I don't really need to go through the credit card statements because I have a budget budgeting software that I use. I use YA as everyone knows, and it shows me exactly what I'm, what I'm spending money on every month. And I go through, I do go through it every month to see, in fact, I just, this morning I got, a, a email from my credit card company saying, Hey, we noticed some fraudulent activity on your credit card. Really? And so I had seen it too and I was like, this is kind of a weird charge. I have to talk to Caitlyn about it when I get home. 'cause I don't know if she made it or what. Right. And it wasn't, it was just a fraudulent charge. And there were some things from the UK and Hong Kong that were trying to hit. And the credit card companies are really good at catching that. So my credit card's on lockdown. I can't spend money now. I'm forced to not spend money, which is probably a good thing, I guess. Yeah. But I do pay attention to that. that being said, it's easy for me to, forget that I have certain automatic subscriptions coming on, or maybe I signed up for a free trial. And then that's what happens to a lot of people. They sign up for three months free and they forget about it in three months, and all of a sudden their 1299 a month is being taken out for a subscription service. That happens all the time.
Jon: there's a model in a, a, a method behind the madness. Why all businesses do that. Mm-hmm. They give you a free trial period for almost any type of subscription. Right. But you have to put in a credit card. In order for you to open up the subscription, even though they won't bill it, because they know inevitably people get busy and they just forget about it and they just know how sticky these models are. Oh yeah. Subscription models. That's why gym memberships and all these other things, man, they're just, like we just talked about habits. Like you go there and March and they're like, dude, there's no one here. That gym is still getting all that money, man. People are still paying. so this is one, and I'll be honest, like I am terrible with this. I don't even know where to ballpark what our subscriptions would be a month between Spotify, Disney, Hulu, paramount, plus Netflix. I'm just going through
Louie: Amazon Prime,
Jon: I got a chat, GPT, I've got like all of these things. Like I'm actually now partly mortified when I actually calculate and be like, dude, how do I have $350 a month in subscriptions? I won't be surprised if that's actually a conservative estimate. but this is making me take some action and just doing some audit itself.
Louie: You can easily find your $190, 4 57 match in those subscriptions. Guaranteed. I guaranteed, yes.
Jon: I I would go, I would, I would say that's an accurate statement. So, Louis talked about, the platform that he uses or the app that he use, he uses YA, you need a budget. so this is one that I, I don't personally use. But I've, man, I've heard about so many people. Using it. I listen to a lot of different podcasts as well. Most of 'em have some type of financial undertone to 'em, and this is one that it gets brought up a lot. So I did, I tried to do a little bit of research here and I think it's worthy. And this, once again, this is not a testimonial for this service endorsement. Not an endorsement, but just something that I think it's worthy for people to consider. so there is something called Rocket money. if you've heard that term before, rocket, they're a huge mortgage company. That's basically what they started as. But they've kind of become like a FinTech, like a financial technology company. And one of the things that they do now, it's to the YA as far as they will let you do some budgeting with this, but then they also have some additional layers on here. And one of the things that they will, they will do for you. So there's two different options. There's a free version, which is legitimately free version, and then there's what they call their premium option or the paid option. But both options, whether it's free or paid, will and once again, you have to entrust this company to, put in your financial information like your credit cards. 'cause that's how they're getting the information. But the credit card will go through, its. Proprietary algorithms, and they will identify all the subscriptions that you have. So you don't have to go into whatever your Chase account and be like, okay, I line by line. Like you put in your Chase login, right? So they can access what your credit card statement is, and then from there they're gonna go through oh, this is a subscription. This is a subscription, and it'll highlight all that. Yeah. So the difference between the paid and the non-paid is. Allegedly, the premium version, which I think from the research I could do was about $10 a month would if you want to cancel a subscription, so like your Netflix subscription, all you have to do is just go on to cancel subscription and Rocket Money will basically do
Louie: do it for you. Okay.
Jon: So you don't have to log into Netflix, you don't have to do anything else. So they will take that, I don't know, that friction away. And basically you just click it and it'll automatically take away the subscription.
Louie: The free version will just tell you, Hey,
Jon: it'll tell you, and a lot of times it will give you like contact information. So like a one 800 number or something else like this in order for it. the free version will flag it, whereas the paid version will allow you to take care of it now. Once again, when I read reviews of this, it sounds like that's not for every platform. So if you go to Joe's gym, they probably don't have that option. It's mainly for the big hitters. If you think about it, the Spotifys, the Apples, the Netflix is the Paramount pluses, the Hulus, like all these things where there's millions of subscribers with, I think they have a an API that just works with that on the backend. That just you click on the one button and it takes care of it. So I think I would start with the, and I actually might do this, I would start with the free version and just see what you're spending out there. Just do a little forensic analysis and sit there and go oh my dude, I'm telling you right now, I bet my over under is probably gonna be $300 in all the subscriptions between Katie and I and our family that I bet we spend a month on just. All sorts of different things. I'm telling you right now, I,
Louie: I believe it. I probably need to do it too. I put this on here 'cause I'm like, yeah, I need to go through it. It's that time of year where I need to audit my own subscriptions and see, I'll tell you, one subscription that I will, you'll have to pry for my Cold dead hands. And that is my Costco membership subscription. I will die with that subscription in my hand. I'm not gonna change that. I love Costco. Huge Costco fan. We're a Kirkland Signature household. So I'm just gonna say if you're, if you got that subscription, you should probably keep that one. Everyone loves Costco, a buck 50 Hot dogs, cheap gas. Don't, you don't need to get rid of that one. But, but maybe these streaming services with all this TV and all this, zombie stuff going on. you could probably.
Jon: well, and what I've noticed is there's just been, and this has been cited, the, the cost that the, the platforms are going to now, like I use Hulu, right? And I remember when we first got it, it was like $50 a month because I'm like, we're cutting the cord. I hate comedy cast. I can't do this anymore. let's get rid of this thing. And and we did and it was great. And it has been great. But now I know it's $85 a month. They keep, they just keep incrementally.
Louie: up. Yeah,
Jon: Just increasing it. Just like we talked about these incremental changes. Most
Louie: Disney Plus is increasing. Spotify has recently announced an increased. Yeah. They're all trying to get these shows and get these, IP deals made. So they need more money. Yeah.
Jon: all this stuff and content costs money. So, man, I know we're harping on the subscriptions, but I truly believe And just knowing all of you guys out there, I think this is one where you can easily shave, probably a thousand dollars per year, on just subscriptions and just making sure, and to Louis's point, if you value something and you get a lot of use out of it, AKA in Louis's case, Costco, great way to spend money, keep it, keep it 100%. Same thing if you, Spotify, if you love music, if that's how you're getting this podcast, like keep it, keep it, it's valuable. But no, if you, if that's a thing and you're like, dude, that's 15 bucks I spend every month, but I listen to it, I get a lot of value. Great. Cancel those subscriptions though that you're just not using or you use occasionally. There's always those free options or whatever. It's just not bringing you value. So I think that's really what we wanted to, what we wanted to highlight about, just audit the subscriptions. I think that's a good healthy habit, to make sure that your money's going where you want it to and you don't have some of this, some of these leaks, in the financial house, so
Louie: to speak. Plug, plug the leaks. Yeah,
Jon: plug them leaks. And then this is one probably resonates with Louie and maybe some of the other ones, but read one financial book this year. Yeah. Ooh. All right. What do you wanna say about this?
Louie: this is our fourth thing. I already told you guys that I'm a reader. I, I love reading and I think that it's really important to expand your mind, keep your mind nimble. I think the best way you can do that is by actually reading a book. And if you are really. Even if you know a lot, I, I would say that I know a lot about personal finance and financial independence, and I listen to a lot of podcasts and I read a lot of articles, but I also make it a habit to try to read at least one financial book, every year. And that has helped me understand a little bit more about finances, my own personal finances, or about psychology of finances. And I think everyone could benefit from this. So even if you're not a reader, even if you're not someone who likes to read 50 books a year, you can still say, I'm gonna read one financial book to try to improve my financial situation. Right now. Some of this, some, sometimes, your financial book might be different than, my financial book. If you are struggling with debt, read a book on getting out of debt, if you are trying to get more into investing. Read a book on investing or if you wanna know how the economy works or how the stock market works, there's some great books out there. I have a lot of suggestions that I can give people. I'm sure John does too. If you ever wanna reach out to us, text us or email us or send an email to ask fiscal firehouse@gmail.com, we would respond to you and give you some recommendations for really good books that maybe fit your, financial situation that you're currently in. I think reading a financial book is great.
Jon: Yeah. And it's all, all the academics and all the studies will tell you whenever you're trying to learn about something or consume something, it's all about where you are in that moment in life. So if we're talking about purchasing a home, like there is plenty of. Good books that talk about like first home buying, home buying first time home, buying things to consider, some of the things that maybe your realtor's not telling you or they just didn't tell you, or all these other things, like you can get educated in so many different things where you are in your life, having kids and saving for college, investing, retirement, all these other things. And it doesn't always have to be, a physical book. Like some of these you can find blog sites, you can find all sorts of really good, like well vetted professional commentary, if you will, on all these things. So there's all sorts of different sources of information, but I, I do agree with Louie. I typically read a couple different financial books per year. I got a real nerdy one right now that just came in the mail yesterday and Katie's Did you get this? And I'm like, yeah, I did. I listened to this guy on a podcast and I'm like, I really like what he had to say. So I bought his book. And it's all, and it's, and I do get a lot of things I would say I know the majority of it or have a pretty good, well-versed idea of it, but there's always something I'm like, oh, I did not understand. right, technically that's how that works, or I didn't really think about it in this particular circumstance. So there's always something to be learning out there, in regard to finances and how you wanna improve your financial health. So yeah, I think that's, I think
Louie: healthy. And if you don't know where to start, we'll just give you a couple suggestions here. So, we know a lot of people struggle with debt or how to, pay off their debt or the method they should use to pay off, different interest rate loans and credit card debt and. Things like that. And I would say a great starting point. It's by far not the only one. And I don't necessarily agree with everything that this guy says, but the king on helping people get outta debt is Dave Ramsey. And the book that kind of revolutionizes, it's called The Total Money Makeover. Yeah. By Dave Ramsey. And it is extreme. It is, something that will change your life if you are struggling with credit card debt, if you're struggling with personal loans and card debt and things like that. I don't think there's any guy better that has helped more people get outta debt than Dave Ramsey and his Total Money Makeover book is a phenomenal place to start if you wanna start looking at debt differently and figuring out practical plans for pay, paying off that debt. I think it's a great point to, or a great start. I read it a long time ago, even though I wasn't struggling with debt and it, I, like you said, I learned a lot and was like, man, that's a great way to think about debt and kind of the, the borrower being slave to the lender. Really, really good stuff. So if you're struggling with debt, there's no shame in it. There's no shame in being like, man, I don't, I don't wanna read this book 'cause it's gonna bring up all these problems that I have and all this shame that I have. it will, but you shouldn't be, so shamed that you don't wanna improve yourself on it. Read the Total Money Makeover, it'll help you get outta debt.
Jon: Yeah, and I agree. but with Louis, I, I personally don't have a lot of, I wouldn't say disdain for the guy. I don't like how he like, he's got a a, a radio show and a podcast, and then he pretty much belittles people, I would say to
Louie: say. Yeah.
Jon: he really does, I mean, he, it's, it's some tough love, I guess you could say. he'll, he'll, people will come with all these problems and he'll be like, well, number one thing is you've got $180,000 in student loan debt and you're worried about buying a brand new truck and you make $25,000 a year, so you're stupid. I mean, he'll, he'll flat out he'll come at you hard. but I think some people need to have some of that tough love truly to recognize, dude, I'm in a bad place.
Louie: and firefighters, we love tough love. I honestly, I think that's a great firefighters, just that culture. You're used to hearing hard feedback and telling people, telling you you're dumb or you didn't do something the right way. I think a lot of he'll speak to a lot of
Jon: that might
Louie: and be like, man, this is what I need. This is what I need to hear.
Jon: Yeah. And I don't agree with a lot of his other advice when it comes to investing in some of these
Louie: credit cards even. Yeah.
Jon: But I will say though, I, I totally agree with Louie and I know a lot of financial, professionals that recommend his stuff as well. There is no better person that has created a framework for you to get out of debt. And we're talking some significant debt too. We're not talking about paying off a $200 credit card bill. We're talking about people that have, you know, tens of thousands of dollars that they've gotten out of debt on a pretty modest salary over a certain amount of time. Like he calls it the debt snowball methodology, if you will. But he really does have the market cornered when it comes to. What is debt? How do you get outta debt? How do you prevent yourself from getting back into debt? Like I will tip my hat to him and give, credit where credit is due, no pun intended. but he, dude, he has definitely, he has helped out a lot of people. So if you're in that circumstance, great recommendation.
Louie: Yep, yep, yep.
Jon: another one we have on here, and this is actually one that in the past, we didn't do it with the last group, so I apologize, but some of our other recruit academies have been given a gift, if you will, from the union, on this book. And it's JL Collins, the Simple Path to Wealth Man. If you're just looking at someone and, and this has got some kind of investing, undertones to it, but it, it really is just kind of getting your financial house in order. And just kind of one simple book. He basically wrote it for his daughter, right? He's trying to explain to his daughter about money in college and some of these other things. And that's really, I would say the perspective in which he writes this for, it's kind of for someone that's just starting off and is considering you know, what to do with their money, now that I got a job, what, you know, what should I invest in, kind of things. that's really the framework and the viewpoint that he sets it through. But man, I've read a lot of books and I've gone to school for a while and I've really immersed myself in personal finance. And if I could give out just one book to anyone, really, wherever they are in their life cycle, it would be his, I, I really do, I think it's the most holistic, well-rounded, unbiased. It's based in academics. Like all his research, he's not, he's not affiliated with any type of institution or firm or he's, it just, it truly is. It's just I've spent a lot of time thinking about this, and this is kind of what he wrote, and, and owed to his daughter and trying to set his daughter up for success. And I just think it's the easiest and most simplistic way of investing that you can come up with that has been proven time and time again to work. Yeah. I just,
Louie: JJ Cols is great and he really has a heart for trying to make complicated things. Simple. John and I can sit here and talk to each other about, I don't know, factor investing and all these other crazy things that a lot of people are like, I don't know what that means. I don't want know what that means. I just wanna know, like, how can I set myself up and my family up to be financially secure in the future? And he keeps that in mind. And so his book is about, let's keep it simple. Let's talk about investing general high level concepts and how you can set up your portfolio to. Be financially secure and make it so that you can retire when you wanna retire and be financially independent. It's a great book. I totally agree with you. I've read a lot of investing in financial, self-help books. I guess over the course of my life, I don't know if I would put any book up to his and say this is a better book for you to go to. Anyone who's starting out, or anyone who doesn't really care about getting super nerdy. This is the book for you. this will change your life if you actually apply what he said and you start, investing for your future. And, Accumulating wealth, like he says, it's, it's phenomenal.
Jon: I can't give this guy a big, a big enough testimonial for just how I think, how I impactful that one really simple book. And it's written, I mean, literally like at a 10th grade level. Yeah. That will really, if our society got behind that and just, I mean, first of all, the financial industry would crumble for, for one. They would, they would, they would probably not be akin to that. But it, it is one of those things that it is a very well written, very easy to digest. You can implement it in any type of, employer plan, any of these ir, whatever you're talking about, whatever investment vehicle you want to use. the evidence that he has to, you know, basically own a couple index funds and just set it and forget it and just live your life. that's all we basically talk about here. But he does it in a very, simple way that is easily, to understand. can't recommend him enough. Like this is one that Louis and I will definitely give a full fledged testimonial for. That's if there's only one book that you wanna read on anything financial, this is it.
Louie: Yep. So once again, that's a simple path to, or the simple path to Wealth by JL Collins.
Jon: Very good. Very good. So hopefully guys, that's some stuff to unpack and digest as we move into, into the new year. we've got a lot to be thankful for, both Louis and I on the podcast. We've really enjoyed it. We've tried to, Keep this till a once a month or at least every month, put out a new episode. So we got some stuff in the background that we're working on for the next couple months. I know tax season's coming up here, so I think we'll probably do something, regarding taxes, but we may have some, the special guests coming on the episode too. maybe next month. it is Valentine's Day, so maybe we'll see. We'll see what happens with that. But, nonetheless, we really do appreciate your guys' feedback. We've gotten a lot of feedback and this thing continues to grow. I'm telling you right now, it's gotten right way outside of the walls of, just West Metro Fire, which we're really proud of. And we really hope, at the end of the day, Louie, and i's really goal with this was just to have a conversation like we would with any of our brothers and sisters around the kitchen table. and to, just make the concept of finance is not so scary and undaunting. 'cause there's a lot of people that really try to make it complex and just be able to have a conversation and raise some awareness. So hopefully we're doing that for you. But Louie, I gotta tell you, nine AM's looking good on you,
Louie: Oh. But hey, thanks. I feel good.
Jon: You do. and you're finally back to drinking coffee. I'm glad you did finally come around to realizing that there are some things in life just not worth giving up. And, coffee is one of that. So, cheers to you, brother.
Louie: Hey, it tastes good too.
Jon: And it looks good. It looks good. Tastes good. All right. Without further ado, you guys be safe out there. thanks again for listening, and we will catch you next month.
Louie: Stay safe and keep saving.
Outro: The Fiscal Firehouse Podcast is a podcast curated specifically for local 1309 members. This podcast is for informational and educational purposes only, and should not be construed as professional financial advice. Should you need professional advice, consult a licensed financial advisor or tax advisor. The opinions of John Beatty, Louis Barilla and their castmates are solely their own, and don't reflect that of West Metro Fire Rescue.