Greyson Chance places 10 tracks on the QQ Music Western charts last week......Billie Eilish gets over 800K “pre-adds” on Apple Music.....Deezer’s #1 playlist “Les titres du moment” continues to dominate the platform’s playlist ecosystem
chartmetric.io @chartmetric #nerdout #musicdata
- Greyson Chance places 10 tracks on the QQ Music Western charts last week
- Billie Eilish gets over 800K “pre-adds” on Apple Music, likely with American females under 25 according to Instagram
- Deezer’s #1 playlist “Les titres du moment” continues to dominate the platform’s playlist ecosystem
- Good morning, it’s Jason here at Chartmetric with your 3-minute Data Dump where we upload charts, artists and playlists into your brain so you can stay up on the latest in the music data world.
- This is your Data Dump for Monday March 25th 2019.
- Texas-born, Oklahoma-bred Greyson Chance takes up 10% of the QQ Music Western charts for the week of March 14th to the 20th.
- QQ Music, according to TechCrunch, is one of the largest music streaming platforms in China, with a reported 800M+ monthly active user base when grouped under the Tencent Music Entertainment umbrella. The Chinese tech conglomerate leverages QQ with its social network WeChat (which has over 1B users- that’s billion with a “b”) to provide the majority of its revenue in social media advertising, live-streaming virtual gifts and premium memberships along with traditional song sales and subscription-based revenue.
- QQ updates a 100-song Western music chart every week with their listeners’ most-streamed tunes, and Greyson Chance got 10 tracks off his newly-released 12-track album “portraits” on the list.
- The AWAL-backed crooner’s top 4 Spotify cities by monthly listeners are all in Asia, specifically Singapore, Quezon City in the Philippines, Jakarta and Kuala Lumpur.
- Not the only Westerner with an Asia-conscious strategy, the #1 spot on the same week’s QQ chart went to Bulgarian-Russian singer Kristian Kostov, who is currently competing in the Chinese TV singing competition series, 我是歌手, or translated, “I Am A Singer”.
- Artist Highlight in the News
- Music Business Worldwide reported on Thursday last week that LA-based Billie Eilish racked up 800K plus album pre-adds on the Apple Music platform, showing a strong engagement with her audience looking forward to the March 29th release date.
- Looking at the phenom’s Instagram follower demographics as of last month, the majority of those pre-adds are likely are coming from American females under 25.
- Her IG handle, @wherearetheavocados, has likely racked up over 15M followers by the time you hear this, and has earned an average of 2.4M likes and 33K comments per post.
- A little over 73% of those followers are female, with 64% of them under the age of 25. 3.1M of the female followers fall into the 13-17 year old age range, while 5.3M of them are in the 18-24 range.
- Just over a third are based in the US, with New York City and LA being the two most popular, but São Paulo pulls into the #3 spot.
- Some of her notable IG followers are Kendall Jenner at 107M followers and Katy Perry at 77M, and maybe they’re among Eilish’s Apple album pre-adds as well!
- Playlist Round-Up
- “Les titres du moment” is the most followed playlist on Deezer, with 9.8M fans following the platform’s version of Today’s Top Hits on Spotify or Today’s Hits on Apple Music.
- The #2 Deezer playlist is “Selección Editorial” focusing on Latin content, but it’s far behind at 6.6M fans, leaving the top playlist lots of room to enjoy its leading status.
- “Les titres du moment”, or literally “Titles of the Moment”, currently sports 70 tracks that are mostly frontline-focused and featuring a 37% track add-ratio in the past month.
- Unlike other top playlists on other platforms, this playlist regularly adds and removes tracks throughout the week, mostly from Tuesday to Saturday.
- Almost ¾ of its historical tracks have remained on the list for one to six months, showing that it’s willing to host its more successful records for longer periods.
- Currently, the #1 spot goes to electronic-tinged Belgian singer-songwriter Angéle, the #2 spot to the UK’s Sam Smith & American Normani, and the #13 spot goes to Puerto Rico’s Daddy Yankee...so if you’re looking for an internationally-focused, multi-lingual top hits playlist to mix things up, look no further.
- That’s it for your Daily Data Dump for Monday March 25th 2019. This is Jason from Chartmetric, a free account is waiting for you at chartmetric.io/signup. That’s chartmetric (no s) dot IO slash signup.
- Happy Monday, see you tomorrow!
What is How Music Charts?
Welcome to How Music Charts, where we bring you interviews and analysis from music industry professionals bridging data and creativity in the music business every day. Feel free to email us ([email protected]), say hi on our socials (@chartmetric), and dive deeper into music and data on our blog (blog.chartmetric.com). Free accounts are available at chartmetric.com!