Greyson Chance places 10 tracks on the QQ Music Western charts last week......Billie Eilish gets over 800K “pre-adds” on Apple Music.....Deezer’s #1 playlist “Les titres du moment” continues to dominate the platform’s playlist ecosystem
chartmetric.io @chartmetric #nerdout #musicdata
- Greyson Chance places 10 tracks on the QQ Music Western charts last week
- Billie Eilish gets over 800K “pre-adds” on Apple Music, likely with American females under 25 according to Instagram
- Deezer’s #1 playlist “Les titres du moment” continues to dominate the platform’s playlist ecosystem
- Good morning, it’s Jason here at Chartmetric with your 3-minute Data Dump where we upload charts, artists and playlists into your brain so you can stay up on the latest in the music data world.
- This is your Data Dump for Monday March 25th 2019.
- Texas-born, Oklahoma-bred Greyson Chance takes up 10% of the QQ Music Western charts for the week of March 14th to the 20th.
- QQ Music, according to TechCrunch, is one of the largest music streaming platforms in China, with a reported 800M+ monthly active user base when grouped under the Tencent Music Entertainment umbrella. The Chinese tech conglomerate leverages QQ with its social network WeChat (which has over 1B users- that’s billion with a “b”) to provide the majority of its revenue in social media advertising, live-streaming virtual gifts and premium memberships along with traditional song sales and subscription-based revenue.
- QQ updates a 100-song Western music chart every week with their listeners’ most-streamed tunes, and Greyson Chance got 10 tracks off his newly-released 12-track album “portraits” on the list.
- The AWAL-backed crooner’s top 4 Spotify cities by monthly listeners are all in Asia, specifically Singapore, Quezon City in the Philippines, Jakarta and Kuala Lumpur.
- Not the only Westerner with an Asia-conscious strategy, the #1 spot on the same week’s QQ chart went to Bulgarian-Russian singer Kristian Kostov, who is currently competing in the Chinese TV singing competition series, 我是歌手, or translated, “I Am A Singer”.
- Artist Highlight in the News
- Music Business Worldwide reported on Thursday last week that LA-based Billie Eilish racked up 800K plus album pre-adds on the Apple Music platform, showing a strong engagement with her audience looking forward to the March 29th release date.
- Looking at the phenom’s Instagram follower demographics as of last month, the majority of those pre-adds are likely are coming from American females under 25.
- Her IG handle, @wherearetheavocados, has likely racked up over 15M followers by the time you hear this, and has earned an average of 2.4M likes and 33K comments per post.
- A little over 73% of those followers are female, with 64% of them under the age of 25. 3.1M of the female followers fall into the 13-17 year old age range, while 5.3M of them are in the 18-24 range.
- Just over a third are based in the US, with New York City and LA being the two most popular, but São Paulo pulls into the #3 spot.
- Some of her notable IG followers are Kendall Jenner at 107M followers and Katy Perry at 77M, and maybe they’re among Eilish’s Apple album pre-adds as well!
- Playlist Round-Up
- “Les titres du moment” is the most followed playlist on Deezer, with 9.8M fans following the platform’s version of Today’s Top Hits on Spotify or Today’s Hits on Apple Music.
- The #2 Deezer playlist is “Selección Editorial” focusing on Latin content, but it’s far behind at 6.6M fans, leaving the top playlist lots of room to enjoy its leading status.
- “Les titres du moment”, or literally “Titles of the Moment”, currently sports 70 tracks that are mostly frontline-focused and featuring a 37% track add-ratio in the past month.
- Unlike other top playlists on other platforms, this playlist regularly adds and removes tracks throughout the week, mostly from Tuesday to Saturday.
- Almost ¾ of its historical tracks have remained on the list for one to six months, showing that it’s willing to host its more successful records for longer periods.
- Currently, the #1 spot goes to electronic-tinged Belgian singer-songwriter Angéle, the #2 spot to the UK’s Sam Smith & American Normani, and the #13 spot goes to Puerto Rico’s Daddy Yankee...so if you’re looking for an internationally-focused, multi-lingual top hits playlist to mix things up, look no further.
- That’s it for your Daily Data Dump for Monday March 25th 2019. This is Jason from Chartmetric, a free account is waiting for you at chartmetric.io/signup. That’s chartmetric (no s) dot IO slash signup.
- Happy Monday, see you tomorrow!
What is How Music Charts?
How Music Charts is the second season of Chartmetric's music industry + data podcast!
Season 1: "Your Music Data Dump" was 107 episodes of 3-minute, current event-focused episodes involving music data.
Season 2: "How Music Charts" is long-form & interview-driven with music industry guests focused on music & data today.
Email us at email@example.com
Chartmetric is on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram (@chartmetric)
Free accounts are available at chartmetric.com
Article links and show notes are at: podcast.chartmetric.com
#entertainmentindustry #musicbusiness #musicindustry #data