Craig Carton: Another episode of The Joint Venture Show. Lil Wayne, of course, greatest living rapper alive. Tonight, very funny comedian, Matt Friend, everybody. We have Plaxico Burress, a guy that caught the game winning touchdown pass in a Super Bowl. Ladies and gentlemen, Donald J. Trump.
Matt Friend: What a podcast this is. He's a beautiful guy. Lil Wayne, do you love me? You love me, Lil Wayne?
Craig Carton: In New York City, Wayne, what's
Matt Friend: good, I'm chilling, man.
Craig Carton: Yeah. This is like your home away from home, ain't it?
Lil Wayne: If you say so.
Craig Carton: I did say so. Yeah.
Plaxico Burres: Yeah. Yeah.
Craig Carton: You're an LA guy, but you love Madison Square Garden. I know that.
Lil Wayne: Yeah. I
Craig Carton: do. Anyhow, welcome to another taping of The Joint Venture Show. Happy to have everybody here. We have a great show for you today. Plaxico Burress is gonna join us and some surprise guests along the way. Now we like to start every show out interacting with the audience. And as you guys know, through the website and all the social media accounts, we take a lot of questions in via email or via, you know, TikTok or Instagram, whatever it is, so that professor Wayne can give advice to regular people out there. Cause you're the advice guy. You've lived many lives, have you not?
Lil Wayne: That's what we're
Craig Carton: Yeah. So you put out the advice you can put out. Okay? Alright. Mike from Austin, Texas.
Lil Wayne: Let's go, Mike. Alright.
Craig Carton: Here we go. Wayne, I just got a three year federal bid. When I get to prison, should I keep to myself or not talk to anyone? Should I punch the first guy I see, or should I just blow him and get it out of the way?
Lil Wayne: Was it Mike? Since you're asking me. And unfortunately, I've been in such situations. What I did was stay to myself and then talk to no one, didn't tell anybody nothing. They speak to me, I speak back. You wanna have a conversation. You put a look on your face that makes them look makes them say to themselves, look like he going through a lot today. I'm a leave the homie alone. And that's how you do. Good. Keep your days, man. Don't be blowing nobody though.
Craig Carton: Yeah. Don't. No. Because then that's all you do. You'll be busy all all day.
Matt Friend: But you said it was a twenty year federal bid?
Craig Carton: This guy got a three year federal bid.
Lil Wayne: Oh, yeah. It's just three years, Mike. Just mind your business.
Matt Friend: He'll be
Craig Carton: out in two and
Lil Wayne: half mind your business, Mike. Yeah. Mind your
Craig Carton: start blowing guys, think that's all you do.
Lil Wayne: If you decide
Craig Carton: I don't know from experience, but I was told when I went away, don't do that. You'll be busy morning, noon, and night.
Lil Wayne: I don't I don't know about that life, but I know about Rykers. I know about Rikers Island, and I know for a fact, stand to yourself is
Craig Carton: really Did you just tell someone, I don't if it was the the little dicky podcast, that you like to watch naked and afraid when you were away?
Lil Wayne: Not me. Not me.
Craig Carton: Misheard it.
Lil Wayne: That's what they like to watch.
Craig Carton: Oh, the other guys like to watch? The
Lil Wayne: whole place. Like, you know, the guards, everybody is like, shut up. Naked and afraid is on. I swear where you like, you see people that haven't been up the whole day, like, coming out their sails, finding,
Plaxico Burres: oh, well, you doing, Carter?
Lil Wayne: He's going straight to he's watch naked in the phrase. It's crazy.
Craig Carton: The place I was at, it was a
Matt Friend: ninety day fiance, and there was that
Craig Carton: dude with no neck. I mean, if you touch that homie. Yeah. Yeah. Like, turn off the sports. We got ninety day fiance on.
Lil Wayne: Telemundo was was pretty big up in there too.
Matt Friend: Yes. Yeah.
Lil Wayne: Nobody knew what nobody was saying on that. No. The ladies is
Craig Carton: Yeah. Some accurate. The weather forecast is the best part of the news there.
Lil Wayne: They do the weather in a bikini. Yeah. Seriously.
Craig Carton: Alright. I got one more I got one more for you. Mike in Wichita, Kansas.
Lil Wayne: Okay, Mike.
Craig Carton: Says, alright, Wayne. I've got a $100 left to my name. Should I hit the strip club, buy ramen noodles, or bet on the Packers to win the Super Bowl?
Lil Wayne: I I think everybody would. I bet on the packers to win the Super Bowl. That
Craig Carton: was easy. That was easy. That was the layup right there.
Lil Wayne: Mike, we're not in Kansas anymore.
Craig Carton: So, you know, we have Plaxico Burress coming on in a couple seconds.
Lil Wayne: Plax.
Craig Carton: But this this show is taken off like a wildfire, so you never know what celebrities are gonna come by. Everybody wants to be a part of the show.
Lil Wayne: That's good.
Craig Carton: Now a few years back, there was a very special guy that actually pardoned you. Yeah. And he's here tonight.
Lil Wayne: Oh, Jack.
Craig Carton: Ladies and gentlemen, Donald j Trump. Mister Trump, are you here?
Matt Friend: Well, first of all, I'd like to say that Lil Wayne said he doesn't blow anybody. But look, if it wasn't for me, you'd be doing a lot of blowing. I'll tell you that.
Lil Wayne: That's right.
Matt Friend: So look, let me just say this. First of all, Lil Wayne, I like you to say you love your favorite president and what a podcast this is. You look so fit. Look at those teeth. They're shining like a dog. He's a beautiful guy. Lil Wayne, do you love me? Do you love me, Lil Wayne?
Lil Wayne: To death.
Matt Friend: You love me to death. Well, that's very nice. Thank you, Lil Wayne. Give it up for the beautiful Lil Wayne, everybody.
Craig Carton: Thank you. Ladies and gentlemen, our first guest tonight is very funny comedian, not friend, everybody.
Lil Wayne: How are
Matt Friend: It's honestly, it's good to be with the black because we love the blacks. They're great people. They're great people. Look. But I I said this, if I'm gonna be honest with you, I pardon this guy, which you're lucky I did. If I'm you're you're happy I did that?
Lil Wayne: Lucky is not the word. Blessed.
Matt Friend: You're blessed. Yeah. That's good. So is this a Kanye situation and you like the Jews? What is happening? Right? Give me a give me a hand, please. Thank you for that. That's great. Give it up for Wayne. What a tough cookie this guy. Amazing, man. That's great.
Craig Carton: Your your favorite rapper.
Matt Friend: Is that right? I'm honored to be here. I this is so cool. I'm I'm a huge fan. This is crazy.
Craig Carton: You've gotten to a a level of success where you don't wear socks anymore. Is that the deal?
Matt Friend: You know, I'm with Lil Wayne. I've got a big cock. I don't know what to tell you. I I don't know why I said that. That's weird. It's He sounds a lot. Feels great. But I say it a lot. Okay. Well, you've seen a lot of big I
Lil Wayne: say I say it. Oh, you say it a lot. Yeah.
Matt Friend: Yeah. I didn't know what happened, if I'm being honest with you. I use Trump to say things I don't feel comfortable saying as myself because I don't wanna get canceled, but if you say it as Trump, there's no repercussions at all. To as do a kid. Do you do it?
Lil Wayne: I used
Matt Friend: to do it as a kid.
Lil Wayne: So when it was time for me to say something I knew I couldn't say around adults, I just say it in in like Fred Sanford's voice. I like I like Thelma Harper voice or something that I knew that they relate to, they're like, oh, that's so funny, but I meant what I said.
Craig Carton: Who else is here tonight joining us on the stage?
Matt Friend: I like how you queued me up.
Craig Carton: Yeah. There you go.
Matt Friend: What an expert host. Yeah.
Craig Carton: That's what you
Matt Friend: did. I have a microphone, so here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna do a little Howard Stern right now. Okay. Here's what I wanna I wanna know those. You're a sexy guy. Right.
Lil Wayne: That might sound You're one
Matt Friend: of the best musicians in history. You have the song Lollipop. Robin loves Lollipop. Right? So who's licked your lollipop the best out of all the celebrities you've met? Who who's it gonna be? Who gives the best blowjob in Hollywood? Right.
Lil Wayne: I actually spoke about it on the song before, and then I thought I hadn't met the person that was the best lollipop er.
Matt Friend: Right. And who was there?
Lil Wayne: And but actually I met someone else and I said that on the song that this person is better than the person who I thought was the best lollipoppper.
Matt Friend: That's what I'm talking about. I like that.
Craig Carton: You gotta go into his his discography now.
Matt Friend: I like that. Feel good. I'm just seguing now, but I haven't done this impression, and again, thank you, Remind, this is so cool. I haven't done this impression since the news broke out, but because we are historically with Lil Wayne, the great Lil Wayne,
Plaxico Burress: I think it's time to bring out one man who's Thankfully, he's still alive and I don't know if Lil White knows what the fuck I'm talking about right now, but
Lil Wayne: I'm trying to figure out who you are.
Plaxico Burress: Really? Yeah. If you do a show in Kentucky, you're gonna find out.
Lil Wayne: Help me. That was
Matt Friend: the Kentucky senator Mitch McConnell who was very popular with Lil Wayne's fans. Alright. Maybe if we segue over to Barack Obama, then you will know who go. Thank you. Now, I I didn't say it because if I said that, then Lil Wayne's bodyguards would probably kill me. You do that.
Lil Wayne: That is
Matt Friend: crazy. I appreciate that. Thank you.
Lil Wayne: When was the first
Matt Friend: time you knew that you can, like, how do
Lil Wayne: you discover that that I can do that?
Matt Friend: I was naked. I was four years old. Now, I I would just watch, like, probably like you with music. Was Yeah. Four years old and I fell in love with comedy. Watched Austin Powers. That's what got me obsessed. Really? Comedy. It was comedy. Yeah. Comedy. Stand up. Yeah. I started in this comedy club in college
Lil Wayne: years ago.
Matt Friend: Give it up for Gotham, by the way.
Plaxico Burres: That's crazy.
Matt Friend: And then and then I like I love Eddie Murphy's specials and the way he would weave in. I said Eddie Murphy because we love the blacks. Great people. Didn't say a white, we said a black. Okay. But I said Eddie Murphy because he really would expertly weave in impressions through comedy.
Lil Wayne: He's amazing.
Matt Friend: He's unbelievable. He's amazing, actually.
Craig Carton: How long does it take you to perfect the the new voice?
Matt Friend: It depends on who would it like, sometimes I look at who's relevant, who people are I just this is so random. I know this is the least likely combination of people, Lil Wayne and this person. I just met the King of England,
Lil Wayne: was I saw him sitting with the saw him at was it that one of those days?
Matt Friend: The freak off? No, kidding. Hello. Hey, now. Good boy. I'm probably gonna get killed after this, if I'm being honest with you. No, no, no, no, no, no. There's no By the way, look under your seats, people. You're all going, mustn't bam you all. Let's go. No, no. Stop it. Where did you see
Lil Wayne: the king? Nothing.
Craig Carton: Soccer, right?
Matt Friend: Soccer, yeah. Oh, you saw him? Oh, that's insane. That's really cool. I met him and I I said, I've been trying to do an impersonation of you. Then he goes, keep trying. Then he walked away, and I wasn't beheaded.
Lil Wayne: I asked him.
Craig Carton: Do you
Matt Friend: even know who Lil Wayne is if I'm being this seems like more of a DJ Khaled crowd. Okay?
Lil Wayne: Khaled grew up with me.
Matt Friend: Did he really? Yeah.
Craig Carton: By the way, tell him the story about the record store.
Lil Wayne: He was a DJ in a record store, so he actually worked he worked the register as well. But on Thursdays, the owner would let him spin, so he would DJ. That would cause a big crowd there and almost be like a small concert. That's crazy. And so, he was there when I met when I met Birdman
Plaxico Burress: for the
Lil Wayne: first time when I got my deal. He was there. It's unbelievable.
Craig Carton: Can you imagine
Matt Friend: I love DJ Khaled.
Craig Carton: DJ Khaled spinning in a record store as Wayne becomes a star?
Matt Friend: I wish jokes worked like his music. Like, I wish I could do a new impression or a joke, another one, and then move on to the next piece. That's great. I'd like to announce my name too before like, Matt Friend, Mitch McConnell, another one. Like, that Exactly. Would be
Lil Wayne: You know, Kyle McCannell don't rap though.
Matt Friend: That's why he I wish.
Lil Wayne: That's why he does what he does.
Matt Friend: Comedians wanna be rappers and musicians,
Lil Wayne: I think.
Matt Friend: I think there's a synergy there. I think a lot of musicians
Lil Wayne: Tiffany Adish. She's amazing. Yeah. Told me this exact same thing. She said, Wayne, I listened to you a lot. She was like, you're like one of the funnyest comedians I know. I was like, I thought
Matt Friend: it was I wasn't sure if
Lil Wayne: it was a compliment. You were? And she was like, no, for real, Wayne, I watch. She's like, I I listen to you. Like, you you ain't know. You're like, you're just a comedian. You make it rhyme.
Matt Friend: You could also do a guided meditation app. I I think he has a very soothing voice.
Lil Wayne: Yeah. Thanks.
Matt Friend: I would love Wayne.
Craig Carton: Have you ever considered doing Lil Wayne's voice?
Matt Friend: I could try right now, but you know what mean? Don't try. Don't do anything. You gotta be careful with the black voices, if I'm being honest See, it's it's like Tourette's. I have a major it's Trump Tourette's. It's a serious psychological disorder. But if you nail that blowing black boys perfectly, then the brothers love you. So what can I say?
Lil Wayne: How the hell you doing?
Matt Friend: I'll let Jay Farrow handle that and I'll do the white people.
Lil Wayne: There I you I asked him about the impersonations Yeah. Because that's how I started rapping. Really? Yeah. So I started rapping because I wanted to entertain the people that was in my grandmother's living room. They weren't obviously, weren't not only were they not of obviously, not of my age range, but they are also weren't the generation above me. They were a generation above that. So
Matt Friend: So you got an appreciation for the old stuff. Yeah.
Lil Wayne: Exactly. So I had to start to like what I want to impersonate. So you have to like, you know, you have to like it, learn to like it or love it. If you end up loving it, then you know exactly what you're doing.
Craig Carton: Was there one particular rap group or rapper that you liked When that
Lil Wayne: I first first first started, it was a rapper in New Orleans. Was a local rapper. His name was Pimp Daddy. K. So I was a shark kid, of course. I called myself Shrimp Daddy. And he had a song called Gotta Be Real. K. So I named mine You Gotta Be Lil. Pimp Daddy.
Matt Friend: Yeah. So it was funny. Yeah.
Lil Wayne: Yeah. But I was serious. Every lyric I wrote, was but every person that heard it would be like, it's so cute. And How old were you? I was a good whopping 10.
Craig Carton: Is crazy.
Matt Friend: Yeah. That's how it starts. Like, you wanna entertain your family and those around you. That's Exactly. It's insane.
Craig Carton: You're at another level now. Like, when you first decide I'm gonna be a comedian, I wanna do it, and you wanna do impersonations, which is hard to get over on. Because only a handful of guys historically Mhmm. Rich Little back in the day. You talk about Jay Fowler who's brilliant at it. That's a tough way to make a living as a comic, because you're just telling jokes. You gotta tell jokes as people, and, you know, we'll spot the lie a mile away.
Matt Friend: Yeah. I mean, I'm a I'm a part of a different era. I I'm from I'm 28. TikTok, Instagram, like, I'm not in the era of showbiz where, like, everything matters or depends on, like, a five minute set on The Tonight Show or something like there's a I've just built my brand through Lil Wayne's familiar with my brand.
Lil Wayne: But a
Matt Friend: huge fan. No, he follows you on TikTok. Absolutely. Yeah. Yeah. But
Lil Wayne: Trust me, I am now.
Matt Friend: Oh, that's great. Thank you,
Craig Carton: Lil Wayne.
Matt Friend: Thank you. He's a big Wayne after tonight. Right? But hello. Hey, now. If you went to prison and someone said, you wanna see my Lil Wayne? No. Anyways, that'd be weird. I
Lil Wayne: heard somebody say that to me before. Did they? Not in prison.
Matt Friend: Hopefully there's no diamonds on that little way, but that'd a crazy Who in the world said that?
Lil Wayne: They recommended that I use it as a line, as a bar.
Craig Carton: Oh, you wanna see my Lou Gotham?
Lil Wayne: And then they they kept going a little further and they they recommended that I opened up my own wing shop and called it Lil Wings.
Matt Friend: Wow. That's amazing.
Craig Carton: But before I let you Yeah. Go Yeah. Any advice? Any one of these people that are here tonight? Advice? Lil Wayne moving forward in
Matt Friend: his career? Advice for Lil Wayne moving forward? Yeah. I mean, look, Lil Wayne, this is Andy Cohen from Bravo. Okay. And I know Lil Wayne ski wanted my advice, so I would say, Lil Wayne, don't be like a housewife. Stay out of trouble. Who else could Bill Maher would say this. Okay. Here's what he would say. You know what? Maybe stay away from the guns.
Lil Wayne: Bill Bill's been a bit upset recently. Don't like saying I'm upset. I don't know.
Matt Friend: I'll do a rapper. Do you know? Okay. We have Jeffrey Lindt, Jeff Goldblum, G. L. D. B. L. U. M. Yes, of course. Very happy to be here with Lil Wayne. Lil Wayne. Yes. Yes. I'm more of a jazz musician myself. Okay. Audience interested. Who else could be Rami Malek? This is obscure, but
Lil Wayne: I would never
Matt Friend: know when you're serious. I'm so pissed
Lil Wayne: off at you if it was I'm trying to have a real conversation with you, Wayne.
Matt Friend: Yeah. Hopefully, I'm not killing it too hard. We're in the presence of Lil Wayne, if you know what I mean. Thank you.
Craig Carton: Well, I appreciate you coming Thank you.
Matt Friend: Hey, dude. Thank thank you for having me, and it's great to see you back storming the capital. Yes. I'm very happy to very happy to
Lil Wayne: be here.
Matt Friend: I love your January 6 look, and give it up for this beautiful credit. Lil Wayne, everybody.
Craig Carton: Not So
Plaxico Burres: cool to
Lil Wayne: meet you. You. Likewise. Man. Thank you so much.
Plaxico Burres: You're the
Craig Carton: mother party.
Matt Friend: That was awesome.
Craig Carton: Good to have that stuff. I check out all the stuff. Alright. Now, one of the great number seventeens of all time
Lil Wayne: Yeah.
Craig Carton: A guy that caught the game winning touchdown pass in a Super Bowl. My man, Plaxico Burress. That's
Matt Friend: Plaxico I have known each other a long time.
Craig Carton: Great guy. Worked with me at Fox, FS one Mhmm. Back in the day and caught the game winning touchdown pass Yeah. Against the undefeated New England Patriots. Hell yeah.
Plaxico Burres: So let's they'll love.
Lil Wayne: Absolutely. Spoke to Eli about that.
Plaxico Burres: Eli Manning?
Lil Wayne: Spoke to Eli about that. Yes.
Matt Friend: Yes. We even talked to Eli about that the other day.
Plaxico Burres: Let's just get So so you
Matt Friend: don't have Eli Hunter for me?
Craig Carton: A couple days ago.
Plaxico Burres: Jeez. Yeah.
Matt Friend: Boy, you keep telling
Craig Carton: me Eli's a hall of famer.
Plaxico Burres: He always find out who your real friends are, man.
Matt Friend: See?
Craig Carton: By the way, Plax hates it when I question Eli Manning as a hall of famer.
Plaxico Burres: Come on, dog. You gotta stop that, man. He knows man. The ballot hall of famer.
Craig Carton: Oh, he didn't get into the first ballot.
Lil Wayne: You know Eli, a New Orleans boy, man.
Plaxico Burres: You know
Lil Wayne: he a New Orleans boy.
Plaxico Burres: Oh, absolutely, man. That's my job, man. I don't like how you be shading my man like he ain't a Hall of Fame quarterback.
Matt Friend: He's gonna Hall of Famer.
Plaxico Burress: I'm not Hall
Lil Wayne: of Famer, man.
Craig Carton: He's just not in yet.
Plaxico Burres: But why you keep saying he's not a Hall of Fame quarterback?
Lil Wayne: Know he a Hall of Famer, Craig.
Craig Carton: I'm being attacked. Alright. Here's Come on, man. He's in.
Plaxico Burres: Relax. Hey. I know a lot of quarterbacks that are in the hall of fame with less accolades than what
Lil Wayne: we have.
Craig Carton: Okay. He's Ben Roethlisberger?
Plaxico Burres: They they pretty much got the same.
Craig Carton: Okay. He's gonna get in the hall of fame. Right. I don't begrudge that.
Plaxico Burres: Mhmm.
Craig Carton: But his regular season numbers weren't great.
Plaxico Burres: When you get into the playoffs and you just take off Yes. And nobody can beat you, that's what it all that's what it's all about. Just ask the New York Knicks in the first round of playoffs when they played the Atlanta Hawks. Listen. When the Knicks played the Atlanta Hawks in game one, it was like, oh, the game's gonna be over in in four games.
Craig Carton: Right.
Plaxico Burres: And look what they look what they accomplished. Yeah. It's not about the regular season.
Craig Carton: He's gonna get in. I'm not upset with it.
Plaxico Burres: Fine.
Craig Carton: He just didn't get in the first
Plaxico Burres: put that on the record, though.
Craig Carton: Maybe he'll get in the next time. It's possible.
Lil Wayne: Trust me. Oh, yeah. Well,
Craig Carton: you love him because you guys are from the same town.
Lil Wayne: Yeah. Also, when he was still playing, I was questioned about, you know, how they at this at this time it was Eli was being talked about and I was just wanting I was like, no, man. Eli, a beast. I think I probably even had to I think I probably told him the story it. About my, you know, my my uncle and stuff about seeing him when he a baby and all that. And so they asked him about it the next
Craig Carton: day, but they worded it wrong
Lil Wayne: asked him. So it made it seem like I was talking shit about him. Eli was like, I don't don't watch much Lil'Ange. I'm sorry.
Craig Carton: That's right. He did say
Lil Wayne: wilder man, so he don't watch much Lil'Ange. Jesus. I was like, I gotta work so much. I gotta work a lot harder.
Craig Carton: It became an issue which they they swashed the beef Right. On the Manning cast. Yeah.
Lil Wayne: Figured out your problems Yeah.
Craig Carton: And now they're best of friends, Plaxico.
Plaxico Burres: Yeah. That's how it's supposed to be. They they New Orleans babies.
Craig Carton: Yeah. You're a Virginia baby.
Plaxico Burres: Absolutely. So that's what
Craig Carton: Alan Everest in territory, what Newport News.
Plaxico Burres: Right? Like, evade some of the best athletes in the world from capital.
Craig Carton: Yeah. Who is the best high school athlete in Virginia?
Plaxico Burres: The best high school
Craig Carton: athlete You a I. You got you.
Plaxico Burres: It was a young guy probably named by the name of Ronald Carey.
Craig Carton: I remember him.
Lil Wayne: He's a quarterback. I mean,
Matt Friend: did he go
Craig Carton: to North Carolina from
Lil Wayne: the he did. Number nine.
Plaxico Burres: Yeah. He probably was the best high school football basketball player.
Lil Wayne: He played point I was gonna say he he played ball too. Played ball too. Yeah.
Craig Carton: He played both. Right? He's a quarterback and a point guard?
Plaxico Burres: Basketball. Yep. Probably Ronald Curry.
Craig Carton: When you let's go back to your career a little bit. Before you guys got to that Super Bowl, you played in that crazy game in Green Bay.
Plaxico Burres: Yeah. Against his team.
Craig Carton: Yeah. Against your team. He wasn't 30 below.
Plaxico Burres: He wasn't very happy that day.
Craig Carton: You were not very happy that day.
Matt Friend: That's all I can recommend. No.
Craig Carton: Y'all ain't
Lil Wayne: y'all ain't about to do me that up
Craig Carton: here, man. Yeah. I think you had 11 catches in that game.
Plaxico Burres: Yeah. 11 catches. I believe it a 154 yards and set the NFC championship game record. I believe it's still a record to this day.
Lil Wayne: Yeah. Mm-mm.
Craig Carton: You think? You're not sure, though?
Plaxico Burres: I'm pretty positive.
Craig Carton: Yeah. Knows he knows his stats. Yeah. People always say that while it's cold for us, like sitting in the stands or on the sideline
Plaxico Burres: Yeah.
Craig Carton: Yeah. It ain't cold for the players. That's BS. Right?
Plaxico Burres: Hey. 16 below is 16 below.
Lil Wayne: Exactly.
Plaxico Burres: Yeah. I mean, it was pretty damn cold, man. It was, man, you you just had to kind of find a way you do, will yourself through that weather because nobody had ever experienced anything like that.
Craig Carton: It's really amazing that you threw the ball as much as you did considering the weather. Right?
Plaxico Burres: Yeah. We did because they were just presenting us an opportunity where they were just putting eight men in the box playing man to man on the corners and we found a matchup and, you know, that that's what it was.
Craig Carton: You love man to man defense.
Plaxico Burres: I love it.
Matt Friend: You love it.
Plaxico Burres: Eight man, it's kinda like a it's it's a it's a mano a mano type thing. You know what I mean? It's like it's like it's like this is my hood versus your hood. You know what I mean? You gotta take you gotta take pride in, you know, man to man coverage because there's there's there's nothing better than that than going out on, you know, whether it's basketball or football and just
Lil Wayne: I was just about say
Plaxico Burres: another grown man. I mean, it's what it's all about.
Craig Carton: Did you ever you ever play football, Wayne? Organized football?
Lil Wayne: I did.
Craig Carton: You did?
Lil Wayne: Yes. Yes. Were you any good at it? I was fullback.
Craig Carton: Stop it.
Plaxico Burres: You was a fullback.
Lil Wayne: I was fullback. Yeah.
Matt Friend: What kind
Lil Wayne: of team was this? Who was the running
Plaxico Burres: back? Who was the running back?
Lil Wayne: My homie Tyrone
Craig Carton: Hughes. You blocked for Tyrone?
Lil Wayne: I blocked for Tyrone, but with mostly me and Tyrone and Gary Pitt. That was that was the that was the two back. We both blocked for our quarterback, Donald Carey, because the quarterback was the coach's son.
Craig Carton: Oh, it's one of those deals?
Plaxico Burres: Yep. Y'all must have been the wing t.
Matt Friend: So you get
Craig Carton: to the Super Bowl, obviously, it's the undefeated Patriots.
Plaxico Burres: Yeah. Yeah.
Craig Carton: We all know how it ends. You guys win. It's all great. Walk us through first the huddle before the game when you
Matt Friend: touchdown catch. Yeah.
Plaxico Burres: Oh, man. This is going into the huddle because, you know, they were basically double teaming me the whole night. I think I saw single coverage on the first third play first third down in the game, and we got into, you know, that that two minute drive, you know, leading up to the touchdown, and we called the same play three times in a row.
Craig Carton: On that drive?
Plaxico Burres: Yeah. Because they wanted to double team me. But so we went three by one, put me on the backside, and we just kept running a diagonal slant, diagonal slant. And Smitty made one of the best plays of the game on third down, catching it, you know, Smitty, which was for him at that stage as a rookie for him to be able to go out and make that play. I mean, not too many guys make it. And then
Matt Friend: So let
Craig Carton: me stop you there. Because before that, the Tyree catch happens.
Plaxico Burres: Yes.
Craig Carton: What's your perspective on the field of that play, which is arguably the greatest play in Super Bowl history?
Plaxico Burres: Well, I'm on the backside of it. It was a union union y sale of 77 protection. I go outside to kinda, you know, kinda just pull the safety to me and, you know, David Tyree being David Tyree. You know, David Tyree runs the long route.
Craig Carton: I never heard that story before.
Plaxico Burres: And it's like, yo, we're in the crunch time, you know, trying to trying to bring a championship back back to the New Jersey. He runs the wrong route. And so I'm just running up the sideline and I'm just thinking like like Eli Sack, he's down. Right. I kinda just, you know, stopped running and and I seen him pop up. And I I look at him, and I'm like, no, don't throw it in my mind. And he reels back and he throws it. And man, not really understanding, you know, like the whole that that moment, and you look back on it, like being on the field during that time. And it's just I don't think nobody else can make that play. Mhmm. Than Eli. Other than David Tyree. I'm I'm I'm the catch. But, you know, I I kinda like did my little, you know, theory of it. Rodney Harrison was one catch one interception shy of breaking the postseason NFL interception record. Yeah. So he went
Lil Wayne: for the ball. Greedy. Greedy.
Plaxico Burres: He went for the ball.
Craig Carton: Selfish bastard.
Plaxico Burres: I believe if he just runs underneath David Tyree and up ends him, he doesn't make the play. But Rodney wanted the ball, and David Tyree ended up the play, and, you know, just know, the rest
Lil Wayne: is Did you
Craig Carton: see it on the field when he did? Or you saw it after game?
Plaxico Burres: Saw it. We didn't even understand the magnitude of it during during the game.
Craig Carton: When did you see it?
Plaxico Burres: Like, after the game. We we didn't have time to really, you know, digest it all during that time to be like, no, no, no. This is one of the best, you know, catches or plays that we've ever
Lil Wayne: seen in
Plaxico Burres: our history. We gotta get ready to go Yeah. To the next play. And we didn't really know, like, it meant during that time. You know, we had a little little time out, but everybody we're just thinking about winning the game. Right. You look back on it the next day, you're like, man. Holy Right? I don't think I could've made the play. Yeah. Just being honest.
Craig Carton: Okay. You probably wouldn't have. I mean, be a thing. I probably make that play. Wayne is a former fullback, tough guy, probably makes that play. The ball would have to be a little bit lower for you, but still, you've got hands like that, and he makes one of the great catches in Super Bowl history. Alright. So you break out of the huddle. You're coming out wide to the left. Yep. How soon do you know it's a wrap?
Plaxico Burres: Well, I've done that initially leaving the huddle. So we called a play, ex fade, and I bring out of the huddle and he, like, grabs me on the way out. He said, hey, man. If he gets single coverage, I'm throwing it to you. K. I was like, man, they're double they're not gonna single cover me right now at this point in the game. And they did. And I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
Lil Wayne: He like, I need these
Plaxico Burres: I mean, I was like, yo, like, hike the ball, yo. Like, do this. Like, do You always be doing like, let's go.
Matt Friend: Before they do this, you always be doing
Craig Carton: like,
Plaxico Burres: go before they change the coverage. And, man, it was it it was worse than man to man. It was cover zero, so all I had to do was just give him a move inside. I knew he had to take it just be just just based off of the coverage because he had no help inside. And I think the one of the best things about it is running into to Rodney Harrison, and he was saying that he went to Junior after the defensive play calling came in, and he told Junior to change the call. And Junior was like, yo, man, I can't change the call. It's the Super Bowl. Right. So if it's like week two or week three, he probably changes the call to get cover two to get Exactly. Alex Hobbs some help. So Rodney went to him to change the call, Rodney said when the call came in and Junior wouldn't change it, he said he knew the game was over.
Craig Carton: Really?
Plaxico Burres: Yep.
Craig Carton: And as that ball's flying towards you in the end zone
Plaxico Burres: Yeah.
Craig Carton: Is that slow we asked Eli. Yeah. Is that slow motion for you? Because Eli said, it was like, woah.
Lil Wayne: Woah. Exactly.
Craig Carton: Totally slow
Matt Friend: really think he looked at me.
Plaxico Burres: He kinda just like threw it, like, blind sized.
Craig Carton: Yeah. He says he's I
Plaxico Burres: know where he's gonna be at.
Lil Wayne: That's what he's but
Plaxico Burres: he's a sound Yeah. That's like repetition.
Matt Friend: Yeah. He's I just threw it up.
Lil Wayne: He said exactly.
Craig Carton: He goes, what was my best pass?
Plaxico Burres: Yeah. Oh, no. No. A lot of them weren't.
Craig Carton: Not the most accurate quarterback in
Plaxico Burres: the world. It's so much repetition, isn't it? That you practice it, but, you know, you know where you're gonna be three yards from the side And
Craig Carton: you become a Super Bowl champion, and you have the game winning catch, which is every kid's dream.
Plaxico Burres: Yeah. Yeah.
Craig Carton: I wanna get into some tough stuff with you. Yeah. We've talked about it. I know you don't talk about it a lot.
Plaxico Burres: Yeah.
Craig Carton: Yeah. But the next year changed your life.
Plaxico Burres: It did.
Craig Carton: New York Giants are a juggernaut.
Plaxico Burres: Yes. We
Craig Carton: are. A much better team than the team that won the Super Bowl. I think it's
Matt Friend: fair for
Craig Carton: me to say.
Plaxico Burres: I believe so.
Craig Carton: I think you guys won 12 games that year. Then Yeah. So it's 2008
Lil Wayne: Mhmm.
Craig Carton: And then infamously, you have a situation in a nightclub Yeah. In New York City Mhmm. Where you accidentally shot yourself. Yeah. And I know you don't talk about it lot. I appreciate you talking about it with us here. We've all had our moments, obviously.
Plaxico Burres: Yeah.
Craig Carton: Let's start off with was it an event you were at? Was it a private party? What was the setup for where you were going that night?
Plaxico Burres: I had just, like, hurt my hamstring in Arizona.
Craig Carton: By the way, you always had a fake hamstring injury. You hated practice. What's I'm just keeping it real. You hated to
Plaxico Burres: As long as I'm there on Sundays, it all that matters.
Craig Carton: Right. So we're agreeing like, oh, come As as
Matt Friend: I can
Craig Carton: up on
Plaxico Burres: Sundays and we win. That's all that matters.
Matt Friend: I got a hammy of twins. I got a hammy coach.
Plaxico Burres: So so the whole thing is I have a hamstring, and so I I believe at the time we were like eleven and one. We were number one seed in the NFC. And they're like, yo, we're just gonna shut you down. I was like, cool. I got four or five weeks to get healthy. We got a first round. Bye. About five, six weeks from now, I'll be cooking with gas again. So the wide receivers and, like, the offense, they always go out on Friday nights. They usually meet at, like, Chili's or Chevy's or whatever these places are.
Craig Carton: Guys worth a $100,000,000 for reading the Chili's. Yeah.
Plaxico Burres: But it was it was was local for everybody to get there.
Craig Carton: Well, Bennegan's was closed that night?
Matt Friend: Yeah.
Plaxico Burres: So everybody goes out and they've been asking me all season to go out. I'm like, don't I don't go out during the week. Friday's my massage, my acupuncture, my pasta load, and I'm getting ready for Sunday, but I knew that I was out for the rest of the season. So I say to myself, I said, I'm a pop up I'm pop up on the guy, surprise him, boom, go out to the go out to eat, go to the restaurant. But, you know, during that time, there was a lot of crazy, like, stuff going on. Like, Smitty Steve Smith had just got robbed by his limo driver, pushed in the house,
Craig Carton: and Right.
Plaxico Burres: And, like, hog all kind all kind of crazy things were going on. So I just said to myself, you know, I'm going down the street. I'm probably going six, seven miles from my house. I've always, you know, owned a firearm legally. Mhmm. So we we go to the restaurant and I said, oh, we're going to the city. I was like, oh, man. I was like, you know what? I'm already out. Might as well go. The whole irony of it is that out of a thirteen year career, I never went out during a week. On this one night, I had made a decision to carry my firearm and go into the city and just kinda changed my life at a a I mean, blink of an eye.
Craig Carton: There was one report that you were wearing sweatpants.
Matt Friend: No. I was like, why would
Craig Carton: a dude carry a handgun with sweatpants?
Plaxico Burres: I was not wearing sweatpants. I was wearing jeans with a belt.
Matt Friend: I don't know
Plaxico Burres: if that makes any better.
Craig Carton: It's better than sweatpants. I'm like, that doesn't make sense. I mean, the gun comes right?
Lil Wayne: I know that sweatpants look.
Plaxico Burres: I did not have one sweatpants. When the
Craig Carton: gun kind of falls and you go to grab it because you feel falling
Plaxico Burres: Yep.
Craig Carton: And the gun goes off and you shoot yourself on your thigh
Plaxico Burres: Yep.
Craig Carton: Is the pain crazy or is it a weird thing like adrenaline takes over and you know you hurt yourself, you know you shot yourself, but the pain's not out of control?
Plaxico Burres: Initially, I didn't feel it. You didn't? And I took a couple more steps, and I looked down, I had some Chuck T's. I looked down, and the top of my sheet was red, and I knew I was in trouble.
Craig Carton: Okay.
Plaxico Burres: I was like, uh-oh. Well, we gotta
Craig Carton: That's not good.
Plaxico Burres: Try to figure something out. And my first thought was, man, I hope nobody got hurt.
Lil Wayne: Right.
Plaxico Burres: And nobody was hurt, and then I ended up, you know, going to the hospital, and after that it was just like I never really thought that it would grow or get to the point that it was, but it was absolutely insane.
Craig Carton: How quickly did you know that this was gonna be a much bigger deal than you had hoped for?
Plaxico Burres: You know what? Nobody knew for two days.
Craig Carton: Took two days for it to get out?
Plaxico Burres: Yep. I I went in and I left out. Oh, because the
Craig Carton: hospital didn't tell anybody. Right?
Plaxico Burres: I went in and I left out. I was sitting at I was sitting at my home on on on that Sunday. I was already out for the rest of the season. Right. You know, getting ready for the playoffs. The Giants were getting ready to play Washington on 01:00 and coach Coughlin called my phone. He was like, need to turn yourself in. I was like, for what? And I looked outside my window. I mean, helicopters. I mean, media from here to you couldn't even believe that, you know, that has it had become that, like, that that
Lil Wayne: that quick list area. Yep.
Craig Carton: That's crazy. And then, of course, mayor Bloomberg at the time had a thing about guns, and he wants to make you the poster child for we're gonna take gun violence Mhmm. Seriously, and he went after you. He said, full extent to the law, go get them.
Plaxico Burres: Yeah. Yeah. He did. Everything changed for me when he came out, and he spoke about it, you know, on that podium. And my lawyer came to me and said, yo, man, we got a problem. We we try to deal with it the best way that we could, but there was no going back after So Do
Craig Carton: you think was the injury from the shot that bad? Like, if you didn't get in trouble, could you have played in the playoffs?
Plaxico Burres: Absolutely. I would have played in five weeks.
Craig Carton: Five weeks. You would have been good to go.
Plaxico Burres: No doubt
Lil Wayne: about it. Yeah. Definitely. If it didn't like you, no No doubt about it.
Craig Carton: I don't know.
Lil Wayne: I It was good. Definitely.
Craig Carton: So five weeks would have been you would have been alright.
Plaxico Burres: I'd have been on the football field.
Craig Carton: So when the judge and you guys eventually work out a deal, and the judge tells you you're going away for multiple years.
Plaxico Burres: Two. Yep.
Craig Carton: Like, I had a sentence that was multiple years. Wayne's dealt with it as well. So I know exactly what that's like. We both do.
Lil Wayne: Well.
Craig Carton: But describe to the people watching this right now, when they tell you you're going away and it ain't gonna be for six months, how'd you react to that?
Plaxico Burres: I mean, I thought it was a joke. I mean, I I was like, this this can't be, like, real life for me right now, you know? I went in and they they gave me, what, two and a half years. And I got in the car and my wife said, this is a dream, like, pinch me. And I was like, this ain't no dream. And I think the whole thing hit me when they they put me in that wagon and I crossed that biz and I went to Ripers and I was like, yeah, this is this is the real deal. Yeah. And I know I wasn't coming home for two years. I'm like, every time every time a CO came to my cell to open the door, I thought they were gonna tell me I was going home, but that wasn't the case at all.
Craig Carton: You were there for what? Twenty months?
Plaxico Burres: Twenty months. Yeah.
Craig Carton: Did you have an easy time in prison? Were you protected? Were you in gen pop? What was your deal?
Plaxico Burres: No. I mean, obviously, they had to put me away. I was just freshly just coming off of a I was coming off a championship. I remember the first day I got there, and I walked up the stairs and walked in the building, and everybody was, like, standing on the side, and the first guy in line, he was like, hey, man. Ain't no fancy restaurants in here.
Lil Wayne: Thanks for telling me how I
Matt Friend: want to laugh, but it
Plaxico Burres: was like one of the most somber days of my life. I was oh, it it was really it it was funny at the time, and and then the now keep walking and they're like, man. He was like, damn. He's like, mayor Bloomberg gave you the key to the city and he locked you up with the same one. I was like I guess
Craig Carton: you can laugh at it now.
Plaxico Burres: Like Oh, yeah. Everybody got jokes in here, like, what
Matt Friend: the fuck
Lil Wayne: is this? You already know, they have a they have a very interesting Yeah. Sense of
Plaxico Burres: know, going through that, man, obviously, learn a lot about yourself. Think most importantly, people, Like, people, they started like, they treat you different, which is, you know, mind boggling. But the support I had, man, outside, everybody that showed up, man, that came to see me, man. I mean, everybody came to see me. It it made me kind of, like, realize, like, the value of my own self Yeah. When I didn't even know how how much I've met to so many people. And, you know, getting through that, came home, and I was able to go back on the football field
Craig Carton: She did.
Plaxico Burres: Three more years.
Craig Carton: Well, you're not even talking about this before privately. You find out right quick who your friends are and who's not your friend also. Yeah. And that's sobering to realize there's people that you thought were your friends who obviously aren't.
Plaxico Burres: Yeah. Yeah. It was it was a tough thing to go through, but, you know, when you get to a space like that and, you know, you say to yourself, well well, you was never really my friend from the start. Right. I mean, if that's the case. But, you know, left a lot of people behind, you know, moved on from that, and, you know, it's something that, you know, I went through and my whole family went through, And, you know, some days you have regrets, some days you don't. But, you know, if you don't learn from it, then then then there was no lesson in it. Exactly.
Craig Carton: Did you play prison football?
Plaxico Burres: I I I did. I did.
Craig Carton: You did?
Plaxico Burres: I I did.
Craig Carton: Come on.
Plaxico Burres: I mean, you'd be surprised, man. There are a lot of John Elways and Dan Marino's in prison.
Lil Wayne: I was about
Plaxico Burres: to tell you. Everybody's a quarterback, man.
Lil Wayne: So And and a pitcher. You do baseball. Everybody Is
Craig Carton: that right?
Lil Wayne: The whole the whole tier is pitchers.
Craig Carton: Everybody pitches. Everybody plays
Plaxico Burres: It it depends on what your ethnicity is. K. Basketball court because I had some white boys, it was like, yo, man, I'm Tom Chambers. I'm like, damn. He's Tom Chambers. Found found a way to stay in shape while I was there, man.
Matt Friend: You did
Craig Carton: time with Tom Chambers?
Lil Wayne: What? Did not.
Plaxico Burres: That's what I said. Oh, man. My man, Lilo, man. Peace of my man, Lilo, man. I I love that kid, man. We we we was like on the same tier, man. He he he made sure I kept my my hands and stuff ready because he's damn marina that I'm talking about. Okay.
Craig Carton: So you're working out hoping to get back to playing one day?
Plaxico Burres: Well, I was. I was determined to get back to play. Yeah. You know, because I'm out the game. I mean, honestly, I thought that that was the best way I received in all of football. I mean,
Matt Friend: it's hard to argue that you weren't.
Plaxico Burres: I think that the success that we were having from a team standpoint, you know, proved that. So I just wanted to get back to college, just avenge myself. I mean, I was really at the prime. Yeah. You know, of my career going to my going to my eighth season, but tried to get back as the best way I could, and I was lucky to go back and play another three years.
Craig Carton: And now you guys have something in common. Your son's on his own rapping now. Right? And your son is at Notre Dame Yep. Playing football. Yeah. What's it like for you watching your son football?
Lil Wayne: Man, it's the it's just
Plaxico Burres: the most beautiful thing, man. Wake up on Saturday mornings and I'm just I'm just torn to pieces and I'm probably more nervous than he is. Yeah. Because when he's out there on the field, I'm just saying, you know, speaking to him, you know, in my mind, if he remembers all the things that I that I taught him.
Craig Carton: Then he goes,
Plaxico Burres: like, man, what are you doing, though? You didn't see him? But but, yeah, man, it's it's it's a beautiful thing. Obviously, football season is approaching, and I don't miss a game. I go to every game, and it's just a blessing, man, for me to sit there in the stands and watch
Matt Friend: You don't take
Craig Carton: it for granted at all?
Plaxico Burres: I I do not at all. Yeah. He he earned it. He deserves it. And just being there, man. And I don't I don't sit in the box. I don't sit in the suites. I'm sitting outside in the stands like a normal fan. I don't wanna be in the box for the suites. I wanna enjoy Yeah. Like the atmosphere of football games.
Craig Carton: And he's expected to play this year. Right?
Plaxico Burres: Yeah. He should start this year as a red shirt red shirt freshman.
Craig Carton: Which is awesome. You got a lot of former players from the league have their kids playing. Right?
Matt Friend: Yeah. Yeah.
Craig Carton: I think Jerome Bettis' kid is on that squad.
Matt Friend: Yeah. Jerome
Plaxico Burres: Bettis is there. Larry Fitzgerald's son just went. Devin, he's there. Brian Young, his son is there. Thomas Davis from the Carolina Panthers, his son's a linebacker.
Matt Friend: Thomas not fair. Yeah.
Plaxico Burres: It's like it's like it's like NFL sounds like It's like the pedigree of what these guys these young men have is, you know, it's gonna be fun to watch them grow.
Craig Carton: Well, I appreciate our friendship, and I'm proud of you because we've all had these unique experiences being locked up and losing our freedom. And then what you do after that says a lot about who you are as a man.
Plaxico Burres: Yeah.
Craig Carton: So I think you should be proud of yourself too. You came through a lot to get to where you are right now. Mhmm. Before I let you go, we like to end every interview with one more from Wayne. Alright? Alright. So this Wayne's got one question. What do you got Wayne?
Lil Wayne: It's it's it's interesting. It's riding the cotilde we were just speaking on. Unfortunately, prison. But what's worse? Playing for the Jets or prison?
Plaxico Burres: The man.
Craig Carton: Are you
Matt Friend: a dead man?
Lil Wayne: J e t.
Matt Friend: They they they are they're both kinda similar.
Lil Wayne: Okay.
Plaxico Burres: They're both kinda similar because when I walked in the prison on my first day, I was like, damn, man, you are a loser. And I had the same damn feeling every day I walked through the door. He was in jest. I'm like, loser. So I'm serious. It's like a I don't know how to explain it because I I I play for two, like, stellar great organizations from a ownership standpoint. The Rooney's in Pittsburgh, obviously, with the mayor's here in in in New York. And you just walk through the door when you're in Pittsburgh in the morning, it's 06:45 in the morning. You walk through the door here in Jersey with the Giants, and it's just this aura you have, like, this pride as a as a player. You're like, you know what? We're kick somebody's ass this weekend. You know what
Matt Friend: I mean? It's not like that in Florham
Lil Wayne: Park. I
Plaxico Burres: know. Hey, you it's like you walk through the door and you're like, damn. I hope we can win this weekend. And that ain't what you wanna be as a player, as a professional, but I'm not gonna throw the Jets all the way under the bus, so I will say the Jets were better than than Prince. Well But Good question.
Craig Carton: Right? Thanks for that.
Lil Wayne: There's a lot of stigma with the team. Like everybody, Just everybody. Even even a ride went over there and just dropped the loop.
Craig Carton: Yeah. It's it's in the water in Jersey. Hate to say. We have a little game we play here called spot the lie. Okay. I'm gonna give you three stories about Plaxico Burress. Okay. Two of them are true. Mhmm. One of them is a bold faced lie. I got You have to figure out which of the two stories are true and which is the lie. Fair enough?
Lil Wayne: I got you.
Craig Carton: Alright. Story number one, Plaxico Burress owns a juice shop and one set of five black market blueberries. K? That's story number one. Story number two, Plaxico Burress has been inducted into the Michigan State Athletics Hall of Fame. Which we went to college, obviously. Story number three, post playing career, Plaxico Burress graduated from the Culinary Institute of America. Two of those stories are true. One of those stories is false. So do you wanna go in order? Do you think he once bought black market blueberries for a juice shop?
Lil Wayne: For a juice shop? Yes. It sounds so off kilter that I think it's I'm a say, no, I don't think he
Craig Carton: Okay. You think that's a lie?
Lil Wayne: I think that one's the lie.
Matt Friend: Plaxico, is that a true story or a lie? It's a true story.
Lil Wayne: I I told you it was so off kilter. I knew it was true.
Craig Carton: Tell the story if you don't mind.
Plaxico Burres: Well, I I was I'm a franchisee owner for Nectar Juice Bar. Okay. So kinda got into the the acai and the smoothie industry. So that's where all of that came from. Okay.
Craig Carton: Yeah. And there's one time where blueberries got recalled. Right?
Plaxico Burres: Oh, blueberries get recalled, green apples, whatever it is out there. Trust me, it's a it's a total nightmare when Cisco shows up to your door and they're talking about we ain't got no granola or no acai. I'm like, what the hell am I selling here then if I don't have no acai?
Lil Wayne: That's a different world.
Craig Carton: Man, I I I can't do the shirt. Go, what's up, Black T. O. Man, I'm out of blueberries. Do you know anyone that sells black market blueberries? I can't
Lil Wayne: get out
Craig Carton: of I know, man.
Plaxico Burres: Crazy, man.
Matt Friend: It's a crazy world.
Craig Carton: Did Plaxico graduate from the CIA, the cool nature of America? Is that a true story or a lie, Wayne?
Lil Wayne: That's a true story.
Craig Carton: True story?
Plaxico Burres: It is a true story.
Craig Carton: True story. When did you graduate from the CIA?
Plaxico Burres: Not not the CIA.
Craig Carton: Well, culinary, it's true.
Lil Wayne: I thought that. It
Plaxico Burres: was COVID twenty 2122.
Lil Wayne: Okay. That's dope. Yep.
Craig Carton: And do you have a go to like, what's the meal you make to impress people?
Plaxico Burres: Oh, I don't I don't cook to impress people. You know?
Craig Carton: What's the best thing you cook?
Plaxico Burres: What's the best thing I cook?
Craig Carton: Yeah. I don't Like, what'd you learn there?
Plaxico Burres: You look like a lamb guy. I see you always on the ground. You do look like a lamb guy. Yeah. So I got a nice little lamb little jerky. Alright.
Matt Friend: We're coming over.
Plaxico Burres: A risotto, some some some real nice and sleek.
Craig Carton: Okay. And that means by default that the greatest wide receiver in Michigan State history is not in the Michigan State Hall of Fame?
Plaxico Burres: As of right now, I am not. So Same. You know, it's it's just one of those things I think it takes time.
Craig Carton: But How much time do But you
Plaxico Burres: but for me, I mean, what I'm doing right now, I'm campaigning for my brother, Charles Rogers
Craig Carton: k.
Plaxico Burres: To be inducted into the Michigan State Hall of Fame
Craig Carton: He's not in either?
Plaxico Burres: Before me. He deserves it to go on before me, so I'm campaigning for him with the with the university athletic director to please put Charles Rogers in the ring in the ring
Matt Friend: of honor.
Craig Carton: Is Andre Rising in it?
Plaxico Burres: Andre Rising, not either. I mean, not for nothing. What They they just take forever. I don't know.
Craig Carton: Are you the three greatest receivers and players arguably in Michigan State history?
Plaxico Burres: They just take forever.
Craig Carton: None of you are in their athletics hall of fame? Was it just basketball players?
Plaxico Burres: No. I I think Lorenzo White maybe got him, like, four or five years ago. He played in, like, '86 or '87.
Craig Carton: So Nick Saban was your coach for a minute, wasn't he?
Plaxico Burres: Oh, he was. Yeah.
Craig Carton: Tell him that story.
Plaxico Burres: That's what
Lil Wayne: you think. Yeah?
Plaxico Burres: Yeah. Nick Saban was my coach.
Craig Carton: Remember when he
Lil Wayne: was there for a minute.
Plaxico Burres: Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. He was there. He calls me into the meeting. He says he said, hey, look. I heard you're not going to class. So you you just can't, you know, play football here and not go to school. I'm like, well, coach, I'm going into the NFL draft. I'm gonna be a top, you know, top 10 pick. And he says, well, I really don't I really don't think you're that good. I I think you're like a middle round or second round pick. I was like, I don't know who the hell you talking to. Because telling him I'm a top 10 pick. He said, you should finish what you started, graduate. I said, alright, coach. And about two weeks later, Nick Saban calls a meeting. He says, I know you're hearing all the rumors about me going to LSU. I'm not going to LSU. I'm committed to the program. I'm staying here. I brought you guys in so we could win the national championship. The next day, he was gone. So they offered him $36,000,000 to go coach the LSU Wow. And I ain't seen him since. And he want me to stay in school to graduate. Hey, though. You done already showed me the red carpet. I'm leaving too.
Craig Carton: Ladies and gentlemen, Plaxico Burress. I really appreciate you coming by, and thank you for watching another episode of The Joint Venture Show.