The latest episode of podcast More Than a Shop explores the need for new conversations, support networks and funding focused on mental health across the UK. Whilst this series was recorded and produced before the COVID-19 pandemic, the issues raised will be more pertinent than ever.
One in four people experience a mental health problem in any one year. Series presenter Elizabeth Alker chatted to two people heavily involved in delivering mental health services – at a local level and nationally: Rachel Summerscales, formerly of Hulme Community Garden Centre in South Manchester, and Stephen Buckley, Head of Information at mental health charity, Mind. Mind recently launched a charity partnership with The Co-op. In this episode, you also hear from London’s Lifeafterhummus Community Benefit Society.
Subscribe to future episodes and find out about the More Than a Shop podcast at http://morethanashop.coop. A transcript of the episode is available here: https://www.uk.coop/resources/more-than-a-shop
Special thanks to:
• Rachel Summerscales, formerly of Hulme Community Garden Centre – https://hulmegardencentre.org.uk – now of Phantasmagoria – https://www.facebook.com/MagicalSuitcases
• Stephen Buckley, Mind: https://www.mind.org.uk
• Lifeafterhummus Community Benefit Society – http://www.lifeafterhummus.com
More Than a Shop is a collaboration between Co‑operatives UK, The Co‑op, Co‑op News, The Co-operative College and The Co‑operative Heritage Trust.
The series is presented by Elizabeth Alker. It is produced by Geoff Bird on behalf of Sparklab Productions.
Please note: The More Than a Shop series was recorded before the outbreak of the Coronavirus pandemic.
Special thanks to:
• Rachel Summerscales, formerly of Hulme Community Garden Centre – hulmegardencentre.org.uk – now of Phantasmagoria – www.facebook.com/MagicalSuitcases
• Stephen Buckley, Mind: www.mind.org.uk
• Lifeafterhummus Community Benefit Society – www.lifeafterhummus.com
What is More Than a Shop?
More Than a Shop welcomes guests with something new and radical to say about the big issues of our day and doing business the right way. Presented by broadcaster and journalist Elizabeth Alker, each episodes covers a big topic from climate change and food, to mental health and education. The chat is lively, energetic – sometimes controversial, always entertaining.
Join us as we explore how people power and co-operation can tackle some of the biggest challenges facing society.
More Than a Shop is brought to you by Co‑operatives UK, The Co‑op, Co‑op News, The Co‑operative College and The Co‑operative Heritage Trust. It is produced by Geoff Bird for Sparklab Productions.