Intro: This is for the sled dogs in the trenches. Real hockey parents, real stories. The Good and the Gong Show. No filters, no sugarcoating, no politics, just straight hockey talk, and the best guests around the barn. Welcome to the Crazy Hockey Dads Podcast. Alright, boys. Grind them corners, chirp responsibly, and bring that savage fire.
Jamie: Alright, everybody. Welcome back to episode 60 of the Crazy Hockey Dads Podcast, the unfiltered podcast for hockey parents. No politics, no sugarcoating, just real talk for hockey parents that are in the trenches.
Scott: In the trenches.
Jamie: And thank you to BJD for our awesome intro. You can find him at BigjohnDangle's Instagram. BJD does fantastic job of all of his stuff. The guy's very, very talented. So thank you to BJD for the awesome intro. We really appreciate
Scott: And for anyone that's not familiar with this stuff and you are listening to us only, check him out on Instagram.
Jamie: So good.
Scott: Or go to our YouTube channel and watch the opening to our pod, so then you'll see what's behind the voice. It might not be what you're thinking if you're not familiar.
Jamie: Yes. Matter of fact, it's funny that you mentioned that about him because Stacy was talking to me earlier today and Stacy was saying she likes it. She was not sure, it took her by surprise at first, the first time she heard it, but now she likes it.
Scott: It's grown on
Jamie: her. Yeah, it is 100% grown on her. Matter of fact, she likes the chirp responsibly, she was telling me. So she likes lot of the stuff that we have on there. And grind them corners. She likes that too. So good.
Scott: What about the sled dogs?
Jamie: That's one of my favorite parts, by the way.
Pat: This is
Jamie: for the sled dogs in And the coming from that little guy is epic.
Scott: Totally. Because it's such a mismatch.
Jamie: 100%. It's so good. And like you said last episode, the diamond encrusted AAA logo around it that dons his neck. Yes. No, adorns his neck.
Scott: Yes, I don't know, you could tell either one.
Jamie: It dons another adorns.
Scott: I don't remember you for being much of a dictionary yourself.
Jamie: I'm a vocal barrierist.
Scott: That's definitely not a word that would pop into my mind when I look at
Jamie: you. Listen, no, have a decent vocabulary.
Scott: Oh, do you?
Jamie: I think so.
Scott: Yeah. Okay. It sounds like it. I mean
Jamie: I can't spell for shit. No. But I have a decent vocabulary.
Scott: Yeah. Auto correct now.
Jamie: 100%, buddy.
Scott: Which, have to say Thank
Jamie: God for spell check.
Scott: For spell check. For parents of kids that are like they don't even teach handwriting anymore.
Jamie: I was talking about that the other day!
Scott: It's so crazy, and they don't teach handwriting. And then, when it comes to spelling, of leeway there, also with punctures. Punctuation? Punctuation.
Jamie: Are you good at punctuation?
Scott: I mean, I'm not bad. You're not bad? But I, you know, I'm no I'm no wizard with all this stuff. But the point is the number of times I would tell my kids, cap capitalization. What is it? Capitalization. Oh, you're looking for the Punctuation and spelling.
Jamie: Yeah, yeah, But
Scott: what's the A? Unless I'm acronym No, could have
Jamie: I what you're trying to say. I don't remember what
Scott: the R Oh, it's COP. Capitalization, organization, punctuation, and spelling, I think.
Jamie: I missed that disc. COPS.
Scott: Anyway, it doesn't matter. Yeah. But, like but then the teachers are like, well, we're not part of the curriculum. This and that, I'm like, I'm like, this is unreal.
Jamie: Can I tell you? My stepdad? Yeah. He's pretty militant about punctuation and spelling and stuff like that. And I text in run on sentences.
Scott: And he gives you feedback?
Jamie: No, he tells my mother about it. He's like, your son texts just like you. She's like, yeah, I know.
Scott: The apple doesn't fall.
Jamie: Barbie's a tree. You surprised? Because he's pretty studious. He
Scott: is You're making me want to send him a text message.
Jamie: I'm telling you, when you send him a text message and you don't use correct and I never do. I do not text. I'm telling you, I text and run on sentences.
Scott: Wait, do you voice to text or you type?
Jamie: I don't voice to text.
Scott: You don't voice to I
Jamie: do not.
Scott: Yeah. I feel like I'm missing so I never do it either, but I'm starting to think I need to get down with that.
Jamie: So you want to hear something funny? It's funny you mentioned
Scott: We're sent yeah, yeah.
Jamie: We're talking about our parents and stuff like that. I do not use voice to text, can I tell you, my father-in-law, when I tell you, when he discovered Siri, Siri was like I kid you not, we're walking in Martha's Vineyard and we're looking for a store and he's like, Siri, where is And I'm Googling it while he's doing this and I found it in three seconds? And he's waiting for Siri to respond and Siri's thinking he's asking something else and he's asking it again and he's asking it a third or fourth time. Totally. Mean, my God, I have the best story.
Scott: So
Jamie: this exact same time that we were walking in Vineyard Haven, if you're familiar with the vineyard. No. Okay, well for the people that are, we were in Vineyard Haven which is right by one of the ferry stops to get to the island. So it was this exact same time, was messing around, I was laughing at him for talking to Siri all
Pat: the time.
Jamie: And now that he has Chat GPT, it's like anything he can ask ChatGPT or Siri, he does. It's the funniest shit. He loves any talk to text or talk So to, we're in because I was kind of making fun of him for talking Siri, busting his chops. And so I pick up Siri and I activate Siri and I go Siri, how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? So the first response was some wise ass comment back like, well, what kind of woodchuck is it? An African woodchuck? And I was like, so I asked it again. How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? And then it gave again another like acid. It was busting my chops back. I never
Scott: wish it should.
Jamie: It should, but I didn't realize So that it could do then I asked it a third time, and its response to how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? It responded to me with How much ground could a groundhog pound if a groundhog pounds
Scott: Could pound ground?
Jamie: Something like that in the ending. And I was like, Holy shit. I was like, What a funny response back. And then I asked it again, and it goes, don't you have anything better to do? I'm like, all right, that's enough. Really? Yeah, man. Standing on the sidewalk in Marcini.
Scott: That's really funny.
Jamie: Yeah. We were just kind of messing around with it. Didn't realize it was gonna respond to me like that. But the how much ground could a groundhog pound?
Scott: If a groundhog
Jamie: Yeah. Pound ground. Something like that. Right. Yeah. I forgot how it ended, it was Yeah, man. She's sassy.
Scott: That's funny. There was a chat GPT had, I think a short lived, like, chat bot or whatever, GPT.
Jamie: Right.
Scott: That was called Monday. Okay. And Monday was this like incredibly sarcastic, dry humored like personality that if you typed to it, it would just give you some like a whole like a cup full of sarcasm back. Right. And it was really annoying at first because I didn't realize I was chatting with Monday or if I did, just thought it was like a new I had no idea that it was like a personality. I was writing back to me, I'm like, dude, this is a grumpy piece of shit.
Jamie: You're like, I don't like using this.
Scott: What's this? Downgrade. Seriously. Get away from this upgrade. You're it. I want downgrade. But anyway.
Jamie: That's funny, buddy. Yeah.
Scott: So where did how did we get here?
Jamie: I'm not sure. Interesting. How about them partners? What? How about them partners?
Scott: How about them?
Jamie: How is hockey? Crazy Ted.
Scott: Oh, sorry. You know what? Honestly, through my Those partners. You know what? I really thought this was yet another that movie like I was like, yeah, did
Jamie: No, see you're good bud. Oh, No, you're good. Yeah, no, you're good. I was talking about Howie's Hockey Crazy 10. Go get Scott's favorite, the candle. Go get the yellow handled scissors, which Stacy wants a shirt with that on, by the way.
Scott: Well, listen, you should just email Howie's and let them know that there's an opportunity to To collaborate. A mispronunciation on the scissors.
Jamie: The yellow handled scissors. Yes. But, yeah. So if you need tape, laces, gear, any of your Howie's hockey essentials, go to howie'shockey.com. Use the code crazy 10 for 10% off your Howie's hockey gear.
Scott: Oh, that was beautifully done.
Jamie: Appreciate it, buddy. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.
Scott: Lots of practice. Yeah. And let's next get to hockeytraining.com, coach Kevin. Coach Kevin. Love coach Kevin. If you haven't checked out his platform, it's called hockeytraining.com. And he's got a whole library of stick handling drills, off ice speed strength and agility conditioning courses for the adult league, beer leaguer, men's leaguers, whatever you wanna call it.
Jamie: Whatever leaguers.
Scott: You older than youth people.
Jamie: Yes.
Scott: They he has a whole men's league domination, which, you know, caters to those that are just doing it for fun in the good old beer leagues. So check out hockeytraining.com, coach Kevin. If you want you're looking for skills that'll translate off ice on ice, he's got the drills for you.
Jamie: He's the man.
Scott: The man.
Jamie: And then we have Titan Battle Gear. If you guys wanna if your kids wanna look good and be protected at the same time, Scott and I trust Titan Battle Gear for our kids' base layers, by far the best on the market, in our opinion, also the most stylish. So if you look in our show notes, you can go to titanbattlegear.com/crazyhockeydads and use the code CRAZYDADS10 for 10% off your Titan battle gear. Scott and I love it, they keep coming out with really cool designs. They get cooler and cooler. The guy who designs it behind the scenes is really impressive. So use our discount code for 10% off your Titan battle gear.
Scott: That's it. Good one, buddy. And last and certainly not least, athletic performance insight. Oh, you're you're smelling the candle. You're loving It's like getting a whiff of of only the the earth's finest things all in one So good. Hockey wax candle.
Jamie: And the logo is just so good. Oh. Again, it's the second best news hockey next to ours.
Scott: Oh, okay.
Jamie: Just saying.
Scott: Yeah. You are saying it. Anyway, so Athletic Performance Insight. Any coaches, managers listening and you're interested for video analytics, game breakdown, team stats for your team next season, take a look at Athletic Performance Insight. Use the contact form. Reach out to Eric. He would love to give you a tour, a demo of the platform. We'd also break down a game for free so you can see what comes out on the back end. Yep. And really get to see how video analytics could help your kids get to that next level. So check out athleticperformanceinsight.com for Eric's video analysis, game tagging Yeah. He's great. Team statistic, individual statistic platform. All your statistical needs. All the statistical needs.
Jamie: All the statistics that you can your heart can desire.
Scott: That's it.
Jamie: And then so don't we have a funny bastard on today.
Scott: Oh, yeah, we do.
Jamie: Oh, my god.
Scott: Speaking of funny bastards, just real quick. So I I might have mentioned last time when I turned the TV on upstairs, it defaults to some like like Comedy channel? Yeah. And there was this scene with Chevy Chase eating the Rocky Mountain oysters.
Jamie: What movie is that?
Scott: Oh, the that's why I said it like that because I was hoping you'd remember. I don't remember. Like he breaks the record. Sitting at the bar. Oh,
Jamie: that's not National Lampoon's Vacation, the original one?
Scott: It could be.
Jamie: Keep going.
Scott: Was that
Jamie: the original one? Give me some more.
Scott: No. He's sitting at and they're cheering him on to break the record for the Rocky Mountain oysters. It could be on their way to Wally World. I don't know. But then he didn't realize that he was actually eating bull's testicles. And they told him at the end, and then he, like, started spitting them out. It was funny.
Jamie: Oh my god. Yes. Was that that Funny Farm? Or was that Dude, I am so curious now. I wanna say Funny Farm or Funny Farm, dude.
Scott: Oh, it's Sheetballs.
Jamie: Here's your pal Andy. She tosses the taxidermy squirrel into the back of the
Scott: pickup truck. Don't get to
Jamie: the pal, Andy.
Scott: The look on his face when they told him what it was. It was funny.
Jamie: That was a great movie. Claude Musselman.
Scott: Claude. Yep. There you go.
Jamie: They found Claude Musselman in the backyard.
Scott: Very funny, that Chevy Chase. Anyhow
Jamie: Sheetballs, the guy goes
Scott: Yeah, yeah.
Jamie: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Oh, so that was on TV?
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: Oh, wow. I haven't seen that in forever. Great movie, though.
Scott: Yeah, I haven't seen it forever either.
Jamie: He's like a writer, right? And they move out to the country.
Scott: Sounds about right.
Jamie: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Scott: But I only watched that clip and then I changed it.
Jamie: What's the name of the mailman that flies past this driveway and just tosses the mail out the window going 70 miles an hour?
Scott: I don't know. Please tell me.
Jamie: Don't remember. That's why I was asking you. Oh. I was hoping you could help me. Figured that Claude Musselman, me pulling that out of my brain was pretty impressive. I was hoping you were gonna help me with the name of the mailman.
Scott: Nope. Womp womp. Not me.
Jamie: You got nothing here?
Scott: I mean, can look
Jamie: it up.
Scott: Don't think anyone cares.
Jamie: Yeah, course they
Scott: do. Everybody Everybody cares. Yeah,
Jamie: because people are screaming at the radio right now being like, this is his name.
Scott: Crum Petrie?
Jamie: Crum Petrie. That's right. He goes
Scott: fly Ridiculous.
Jamie: He goes flying by. I remember he was standing outside with a with a sign that said, like, please stop. And he drove by at, like, 50 miles an hour and just tosses him in.
Scott: Crum Peachtree.
Jamie: Crum Peachtree. Yeah.
Scott: Peachtree.
Jamie: Yeah, that was when he was trying to make friends in town and they invited him to go fishing on the boat. There was like four or five of on this rowboat. I mean, whatever was. And he goes to cast and he pulls back, and he hooks the Yeah, dude behind him in the yeah,
Scott: Oops. Funny.
Jamie: Yes.
Scott: All right, so anyway, so Funny Bastard
Jamie: is is Ryan. We have a Funny Bastard on today. We have Pat Shea, the one and only Pat Shea. If you guys don't know who Pat Shea is, just go to his Instagram. His Instagram is patshea twenty eight. Does that sound right? To be fair, can you look that up for me, Scott, please? Oh, sure, James. Because you could do quicker than I can. You have faster typing fingers than I do. But I want to say he's patshea Patche28 or Patche25. Anyway, Patche is a very funny guy.
Scott: Patche25. Pshe25. Yes, that's P S H E A, number two, number five.
Jamie: There you go. He is a very funny dude. Played for the University of Maine. Had a pretty impressive college career. Was drafted by the Florida Panthers. Tells a couple good stories about Florida Panther camps. Yeah, and while he was kind of doing all this, he kind of had another calling, right?
Scott: Yes.
Jamie: He was really interested in acting and directing and writing. So his Instagram is so funny. He's got really, really funny stuff with him and a couple of his buddies. Mine and Scott's favorite, I think, I don't want to speak for you
Scott: What's that? Is the Hockey House.
Jamie: The Hockey House.
Scott: Very funny.
Jamie: He's a funny, funny skit that he does with that dude. So good. We have to put it up on our social somewhere.
Scott: Oh, totally should, yeah.
Jamie: Right, shouldn't we? It's one of my favorites by far. With Dominic and Otto, and you and I still actually say the line
Scott: We don't do logistics.
Jamie: We don't talk logistics. I mean, it's so good. It's so, so good. So we had Pat Shea on for an hour. Really funny guy. And go check out his he wrote, directed, casted a five episode YouTube series called Ride. Ride. It was so good. It's about his hockey experiences when he was younger.
Scott: Yeah, and he says in the interview, a lot of it's just drawn from his own personal experiences. What's also super interesting about him, and it kind of reminded me a little bit of the hockey guys also when we had them on, If it wasn't for hockey and everything they put into it, they wouldn't be onto the careers that they have now. Right? Yeah. But it's just really they all played, mean, pat a little higher than the hockey guys in terms of their level of play. But look, he grew up in in a a house that was dominated by hockey. Two brothers played. His dad played for BC. Was His preseason dad was scout, you know, in the NHL. Yeah. So like hockey is like was a big part of their lives growing up. He played on a team buddy. I think he said that there was maybe like five players from his youth team that went up to the Yeah. You know, that he played with as a kid.
Jamie: Who the kid?
Scott: Who went to the NHL? Yeah.
Jamie: And he was a player, man.
Scott: And he was a player, man.
Jamie: I was a player.
Scott: Yeah. A 100%. And so it's just interesting to hear a few things like, you know, how his relationship with the game changed over time. It did. Yeah. It's like, you know, even when he was talking about how he I think he said that the youth teams he was on were the most fun. Yeah. Like ultimately, and then
Jamie: Yeah, as you get older it feels like good job a little bit.
Scott: That and then his role. Geez. Oh, the really good job there buddy.
Jamie: Jesus Christ. Don't worry
Scott: about it, that's fine.
Jamie: He took my MacBook Air out, Jesus Christ.
Scott: But lost my train of thought. Sorry. No, it's all good.
Jamie: You were talking about how Pat, he kind of changed
Scott: Oh yeah, when Felt
Jamie: more like a job and He not like a
Scott: got to May, so he followed a path that many of the people and the kids in his area followed in New England and whenever. But he went to prep school I mean, boarding school.
Jamie: He did.
Scott: Or prep school, right? And then he went to college. During that time Crewed
Jamie: by Maine.
Scott: Things
Jamie: Maine Black Bear. Yeah. No, he played legit I mean, that's the Hockey East, no?
Scott: Yeah, it's Hockey
Jamie: That's legit hockey. It's real legit hockey.
Scott: But then he had a major role change when he got to college. And some of the fun got sucked out of it for him. He got reconnected with it once he's got back to playing the
Jamie: game that In the pros, right? After he's drafted, right?
Scott: Yeah, after it, yeah. Got back to scoring goals Everyone will listen
Jamie: to the video early,
Scott: but it's just, I guess I'm using a lot of words just to convey how here's someone who lived, breathed hockey as a kid, the family was full into it. Yeah, yeah, yeah. And even though he didn't maybe go to the or he didn't go to the show, or you know, but he didn't reach the pinnacle.
Jamie: He was at the camps
Scott: of the He the camps drafted. Was He really high and then look, he
Jamie: Farther than most.
Scott: But he also figured out that it wasn't gonna be the path he wanted to take and because of his experiences, started doing this acting writing stuff and now he's onto this.
Jamie: And he figured out that he had a passion for it, which was pretty cool.
Scott: Yeah. And it was all because of hockey, ultimately, right? Yeah. I mean, maybe if he never played hockey, he still would have found this. But the point of the story is that for anyone that might be concerned, look, there's always stories of people that put a lot into something and it doesn't pan out. Sure. There was a silver lining there.
Jamie: Yeah, no. I think he told stories on the interview about editing on the bus. Yes, And like minor league hockey. Which is pretty impressive. All the dudes are playing cards in the back. And he's sitting there on his laptop editing. He started this a while ago.
Scott: Yeah, right. Not an overnight success. Years in the making.
Jamie: Yeah, and a lot of his full ride are experiences that he went through. Maybe he embellished a couple of them for the comedic end of it, but that full ride is pretty damn good. It's pretty funny. You guys should check it out. It's on YouTube. Just YouTube full ride, Pat Shea, and it'll pop up. He's pretty funny. I was happy that he came home with Yeah.
Scott: Likewise. No. It was a pleasure talking to him. Yeah. He's great. What do think? You wanna kick it over?
Jamie: After you, bud. Alright.
Scott: Let's do it. Everyone, enjoy your interview with Pat Shea.
Jamie: Here we go. Alright, guys. Welcome back to our next interview. And today, we have the pleasure of having the Pat Shea on with us. Pat, man, thanks so much for jumping on. It's a you're a tough guy to get ahold of, but I appreciate you coming on for us.
Pat: I play hard to get, man.
Jamie: It worked. It definitely worked. You
Pat: know?
Jamie: No. Listen, man. We appreciate you jumping on this. I know you're super busy with stuff. Tell our listeners who who for those that don't know who you are
Scott: Which is probably, but
Jamie: I was gonna say, it can't be many. But but tell everybody, like, what you're doing and what you're kinda up to these days.
Pat: Yeah. I mean, I I don't even know what my title is. I I wear I guess I wear a lot of hats. I I'd like to go by actor, writer, I guess, creator now, but I came from a hockey background. I grew up playing hockey, played at UMaine, did two years in the minor leagues. And so I've lived a lot of, you know, life that surrounded our I don't know. It's kind of in the hockey world, I guess you could say. My life was kind of dictated by my hockey career for many years. So I definitely spent a lot of years in a rink. And, naturally, when I started doing, you know, my comedy stuff and just social media stuff in general, I pulled from a lot of my life experience, which, you know, happened to be hockey. So
Scott: Yeah. So so so where do you where'd you grow up?
Pat: Marshfield, Massachusetts. I'm I live in the area actually, back in the area now. I'm in the South Shore again in Mass. But, yeah, I grew up there, then, you know, spent a lot of years in Maine, but back here now.
Scott: And and youth hockey wise, so growing up there, played youth hockey, but then, like, as as you got older, like, juniors, etcetera, you you went out of state, or you were pretty much Massachusetts the whole time?
Pat: Yeah. I grew up I played for the South Shore Kings with youth hockey.
Jamie: Sure. Yeah. Yeah.
Pat: You know, I I I joke about it, but it's like I'm, like, somewhat serious. Like, the it's probably, like, the best teams I played on was, like, my youth hockey teams. We were we have, like, four or five NHL players. We have, like, nine d one guys. No way. We were, yeah, we were, like, top team in the nation or in, like, US and Canada and stuff. We were kids. So it was like from from early on, we were hockey was very intense. We took it very serious. But, yeah, then I I did three years public high school. Yeah. And then I went to Kimball Union for two years and then right to Maine. Kimball Union's in New Hampshire, for those who don't know.
Jamie: Prep school. Right? It's like a right. Right. How was it, by the way? Now we talk about the about the different paths that people go on, you know, and prep school is obviously one of the big ones, especially like USA Hockey loves the prep school route. How did you how was your time up at prep school?
Pat: I actually I I appreciate it more after, like, now when I look back at it. I I think it was it was a really cool experience. I I think in the moment, I was very, like, you know, coming from public school, I was a little, like I was 17 years old. I was a little, you know, like, oh, I don't belong to prep school. I'm a I'm a public school kid. And then you kinda, like, go there, and it feels a little bit like a prison because there's all these rules, and you kind of, like, overexaggerate how, you know, you're in a prison. You just complain about it with your friends. And then, you know, then I laughed, I was like, oh, you know what? Like, that was that was a really fun time. And I I guess I wish I was more present in it because I was definitely Interesting. What's now like, I can't wait to go to Maine. I can't like, you know, I was kinda, like, looking ahead and I but, yeah, when I look back at it, it was a really unique and cool experience with a lot of different type of people and types of people and, like and I actually I I think it really shaped a lot of my personality of, like, shifted my whole personality of been, like, how I view the world a little, like, during my time there. Just kinda opened my mind.
Scott: That's so interesting. You know, the oh, go ahead, James.
Jamie: No. No. I was just curious. Were you committed to Maine before you went up to prep school?
Pat: Yeah. Or
Jamie: so you knew you were going to Maine in a couple years?
Pat: Yeah. It was my my junior year at Marshfield High, but it was I did, like, a split season team, so I played for the Cape Cod Whalers, u sixteen team, and we had a really strong team. So that's, I guess, the year, you know, the college coaches start coming to watch, and it just happened to be that Maine came to our games, and Jay Leach likes me. And, yeah, I committed before going to prep school.
Jamie: Right. So you did prep school instead of juniors. Right?
Pat: Was that something that was your junior? Yeah. It was it was somewhat normal back then. Like, I wasn't that unique, but it felt like my class like, so I went to college 2016 through 2020, and it felt like my class was, like, the last of those guys who would go right from prep school to college, and it just started becoming more of a norm. Like, you have to be 20 or 21 years old Mhmm. And you have to play juniors. It's just and I I kinda get it because when more people start doing it, you start because you evolve so fast at those ages. Like, it it makes sense, I guess, when you because you wanna be able to keep up and, you know, evolve to What? Or develop, I should say.
Scott: So just kinda rewinding the tape a little bit. You were it's an interesting comment. You said, like, some of the best teams you're on were, like, as a kid growing up, and you took it seriously from jump. I mean, even now, I know, the South Shore Kings, Middlesex Islanders, Junior Terriers, Junior Eagles, like, you know, the Fed has just got, like, at least in my son's birth year, like, they're Yeah. Like, no joke. And I'm sure that's not just true for my son's birth year. But, you know, what was what was it like in your house? I mean, like, did you, like alright. Are you, like, full ice mites right into, like, triple a sports and never looked back triple a, or were there, like, ups and downs? Was do you do your parents play hockey? Did you have relatives that were kind of pushing you? Did you have anyone that was kind of mentoring and navigating you saying, like, this is kind of the path if you wanna play high level stuff? Like, what what was that whole journey like as a kid?
Pat: My yeah. So my dad is a hockey guy. He played at BC. And Oh, nice. Oh, really nice. In the eighties. Yeah. He was class of '86. And then he actually started working in hockey. So, like, I mean, the majority of my life, he he was a scout. He still I I think he still is with the avalanche, but he he worked with the penguins for, like, nine or ten years and then got on with the avalanche, and he's been there for it's been a while now. Probably fifteen, twenty years even. Don't know. Like, it's up there now, but he so he's got a Stanley Cup ring now.
Scott: But Oh, that's so sick.
Jamie: That's awesome. Good for him.
Pat: He flexes it.
Jamie: I'm sure if he does. I would too if I was him.
Pat: Yeah. He's he was I was happy for him. He's excited. But yeah. So he he was very hockey dad. And so, like, from like, he put us on skates. I have two brothers as well. I have an older brother and a younger brother. My older brother was kind of like a child prodigy in a way. He was very, like, highly scouted from a young age. So I definitely I guess, you know, I was looked up to him. I wanted to be like him. I had this youth hockey team who was very good, lot of talent, so I was very competitive of trying to be, like, as good as these guys or or better. But, yeah, it was it was instilled in me very young. Like, my dad came from hockey, and he wanted us to play hockey. And when we were and when I was a kid, I loved it. I I Yeah. I was all I looked forward to it when I was younger.
Jamie: Right.
Scott: And so then as, like, the as youth kind of evolved, when and it seems like, you know, it was pretty obvious considering how strong your team was. But, like, at at what point along along your journey were you like, yeah. Listen. I I'm pretty good, and I'm, excuse me, and I I think I can take this pretty far. Like, was there a moment or an age where you're just like, I I gotta double down on this. I'm gonna take it more seriously. I'm really gonna shoot for the stars on this.
Pat: It's a good question. I don't know I don't know if there was an age because I I was a late bloomer.
Scott: Yeah.
Pat: And so when I was younger, I I was I was felt pretty confident that I was good. I I so I'm a little bit of a late bloomer as a kid. Like, mites, was it was okay. But then, like, around, like, peewee, I was kind of felt like I was thriving a bit, and then everyone grew. And I stayed, like Yep. Like, when I was 14, I was, like, five foot two, and and everyone was like, you know, there's such a weird age where some guy's in puberty and they're six one, and then I'm five two, a hundred pounds, and I'm getting, like, killed. You know? So that was a weird time for me where, you know, maybe I started doubting myself a little bit or starts creeping in because, you know, you start seeing your teammates and friends, like, getting d one offers when they're 14. And then I'm like, oh, shit. Like, I'm stuck in Marshall High because I you know, no one wants the kid who's five foot two going into high school. You know? So that I guess that age, started kind of maybe having some doubt, and then it circled back where I started growing a bit. And then I remember, like, watching, like, the college hockey and the TV, and actually, I think I was, like, a sophomore in high school and being like, I can I can play out there in three or four years, like, for sure? And I I said it in my head, and I I I'm the type of guy, like, I definitely have a stubborn optimism or a stubborn self belief in myself with anything that I do. And even if it might seem delusional to other people, and even if it is a little at the time Right. I I just have that belief in myself when I I I don't think it comes from nothing. Like, I work hard at these things, so Sure. I think that's where it will stem from. But, yeah, I I put something in my head, and, like, someone could tell me, like, I sucked, and I would be like, you're fucking crazy.
Scott: You're, you know Right.
Pat: You're nuts. You just don't see the potential I have. But I I was that way, and I I guess I kinda still am. But, meh, I I did have that, you know, perspect or perception of going to the next level.
Jamie: Right.
Scott: Wow.
Jamie: And so there was a lot of competition in your house because you said you're older, I'm assuming you have a young are you the middle brother? Are you bit older or any younger?
Pat: Yeah.
Jamie: The young younger one played too?
Pat: Yeah. He's actually still playing. Yeah. He
Jamie: Oh, nice.
Pat: Yeah. My he went to Northeastern for tears, Sacred Heart for tears, and now he's playing in the minor leagues. Good
Scott: for him.
Jamie: Oh, nice. Yeah. And your older brother, he played at d one somewhere too, I'm assuming?
Pat: He actually had to stop because of an injury or, like, his hip. He had a bad hip, like, really bad hip at a young age, so it was unfortunate. But, yeah, he was he committed to BC when he was 14. And then
Scott: Oh, shit.
Pat: He ended up going to the queue for a bit. Didn't really work out there, and, you know, and then his hips started giving. And, yeah, it it a little unfortunate, you know, chain of events that happened, but, yeah, we we definitely were all playing hockey at a pretty high level competing with each other at the house. And
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. I'm sure. Did your dad push you guys to be, you know did like, were you guys power skating and doing, like, edge work classes and shooting classes with spring teams? Like, what was it what was it like in, like, you know, in the house?
Pat: I think I was I was four like, so my dad, I don't wanna get, like, pretend he's not a crazy hockey dad. Like, he's he's he was at least. He's chill now. He's older. But, like yeah. When we were kids, he he took hockey very seriously. It was like, if we played bad, he'd be pissed off at us and, you know, it Yeah. He took it serious, and I think it's it was just the norm. It was what it's passed down. You know? That's like Yeah. And I actually you know, I think for some people, it's a it's really great. I think I've seen both situations of, like, being having a crazy hockey dad and them making the NHL. I've also seen a kid make the NHL. His dad didn't even go to the games. You know? So I I don't know what the proper way is, but, yeah, he was but he was definitely intense in that way where he wanted he really pushed for us to be great. And if we didn't play good, if we were lacking, he would let us know. I was fortunate in a way where he he played and he went through the whole thing as a kid, so he saw through the bullshit of these power skaters and that you need to pay this and do this or you're not gonna make it here. You know, you kinda saw through all that marketing garbage. So I wasn't, like, doing every camp and everything I I could to, you know, try to make it to the NHL. You know? Like, he kinda had a good feel for what was good and not.
Jamie: It sounds like it. And did were you play were you a multi sport athlete? Did you play, like when the hockey season was done, did you put the bag away and go play baseball or basketball or something?
Pat: Yeah. I did. I I played baseball in the in the off season through childhood, at least. I and then it got to a point where I was just like, this is so boring because you you go from Tommy to baseball.
Jamie: Totally different game. Yeah.
Pat: Oh, I struggled with it. I'd just be sitting on the in the dugout, going, what are we doing? You know? Yeah.
Jamie: Yeah. You're like, when's my next shift? I don't
Pat: know if supposed to go
Jamie: out there in, forty five seconds? Like, what's
Pat: You stand in the outfield, and then you you bat every hour. I don't know. It's like, Yeah.
Jamie: Yeah. It's it's definitely not good, especially for, like, my ADHD son. Baseball did not work out well for him.
Pat: No. But it's I mean, it's a good, like, it's a good chill sport to do, you know, if as an opposite to hockey, I guess, when you're a kid. And but I do think it's good to to mix it up and do some other things. I think that was I golfed a little too as a kid.
Scott: Oh. Yeah.
Jamie: Okay. Nice.
Scott: That's good. That's also much more chill.
Pat: Mhmm.
Scott: I don't I don't have a golf mentality. Like I don't know. Quit that very quickly. In fact, I never even started. That's true.
Jamie: That is true.
Scott: So that's alright. So so then so the prep school became part of the picture at some point. So you're in high school, You're seeing you're watching TV. You're seeing, like, yeah, I can play with these guys. Got it. Check. And then how'd you go about kind of, like, figuring the next steps and and going to prep school? It sound like from what you said before, not uncommon for guys in your area. Obviously, Massachusetts doing tons of prep school stuff. But, like, were there other paths that you were considering at the time, or that was, like, you knew that that's the way you were gonna go about it?
Pat: It was, like, it was kind of the path, at least when I was growing up. I don't I I know now there's so many different leagues. It's Yeah. Different, but it was kind of like, yeah, you you need to get to prep school or you're behind. And that I I definitely had that mindset. I was struggling with it when I was younger a little. Like, I feel stuck at public school, and I'm not gonna get looks or I'm not gonna get to the next level because of, you know, everyone else is playing prep and which, you know, I don't know. I'm assuming you have a lot of Dads listening to it, but maybe they can relay the message to their kids. Like, you know, they're that that's not always the case. Like, some people are developing later, and you're a late bloomer, and you yep. You're stuck at public school. It's not the end of the world to do a few years. Actually think it's, like, the best time of hockey. But, nonetheless, yeah, I was trying. I I started, like, applying in seventh grade, and I like, my brother went to Nobles in seventh grade, and he was on the varsity team as an eighth grader. And No shit. Wow. Yeah. Then I applied, and I don't even get in. You know? Because, well, you know, one, I'm not getting great grades in school because I was focused on hockey, and I didn't think school mattered. You know? But Right. Then there's also the fact of, like, the coach wasn't trying to get me in either. He wasn't fighting for me to get in because I was five foot two. Oh. You know? So I was this late bloomer, and I think I I look back at those moments, and, like, I'm so happy that it happened. It it happened seventh grade. I reapplied to a few in ninth grade, I didn't get into to, like, two of those either. And I I look back, and I'm like, I'm so thankful that I, like, experienced failure and rejection.
Jamie: True. Early age. Yeah. Yeah.
Pat: Because it's like it crushed me in the moment. I like, it stopped. But then I'm like, no. That like, then I learned how to bounce back from it. You're like, okay. You know what? Like, I can still go. I I can still do it. Then eventually, I grew, and and I got some better grades before. But, you know, it was actually, like, when I committed to Maine, I was like, okay. I should probably, like, start trying a little in school so I can make sure I get into college and get into prep school so I can actually go to Maine. So that's actually the thing that, was switch for me.
Jamie: There there wasn't a test guy when you got to Maine? No test guy?
Pat: No. The that's alright.
Jamie: I had to.
Pat: No. But that that because
Scott: I don't know. Have you
Pat: guys seen Blue Mountain State?
Jamie: Oh my god.
Scott: No. Haven't.
Pat: TV show. Well, there's, like, a I think a false perception. A lot of, like, Full Ride, the series that I that I did, for those who don't know, is on YouTube. But it's it's kind of the perception of, like, public the public perception of what a college athlete is and then, like, the false expectation of you going to college thinking, like, what the life will be like. And for me, at least, it at Maine, it was this, like, awakening of, like, wait. What? Like, we don't have guys doing our homework for us, and we have to we have to go to class sometimes? This is this is weird. You know? So that kinda, like,
Scott: played up that signed up for.
Pat: Yeah. I played up that whole, you know, shock factor a lot. I exaggerated a lot, but I kinda played into that with the the theme of the the series.
Jamie: A full ride. So let's we're gonna come back to full ride. Tell us about when you when you committed to Maine and when you went to Maine, and then we'll get back to to full ride surely.
Pat: Yeah. Maine was the first school to offer me a scholarship. And I had I thought it was so cool that they offered me a scholarship at when I was still playing at Marshall High. I just thought it like, a lot of no. Like, there was a few other schools where kinda like, oh, so, like, yeah, we like his style. Where is he playing next year? You know? Kinda like, let's see where you're going if you're gonna develop or not. And Maine was just like, we don't care. We're gonna offer you a scholarship, and then, like, we believe in you. So I I found that really cool, and so I committed to them right away before even, like, you know, even looking elsewhere and playing Right. That game. I just yeah. I I mean, I'm really happy I I went there. I think I look back at it, and I'm more happy about the life experience there than than, like, I am that I went there for hockey. Right.
Scott: And, I
Pat: mean, I had a good time playing hockey, but, I mean, I just I don't know. I I not even that I it I do have some, you know, great friends that I keep in touch with, but it was just such a cool experience, and I think it just shaped so much of who I am now. And when I did go into, like, the comedy stuff and I don't know. So I'm just grateful of that time there.
Scott: Do you think like, is there something specific about Maine as, like, either a state or the university that you're referring to? You think you would have had, like, a similar level of gratitude having gone to, like, you know, like, a different university like Boston College or, you know, somewhere else?
Pat: That's a good question. I I I grew up wanting to go to BC because my dad did, and Yeah. He took us to all those games, and he was a scout, so he would just walk us in with his, you know, his NHL pass. So we went to a lot of BC games. So that was my dream when I was a kid. And I I I don't know. I think it's such a I don't know how it would have played out, and I even, like, debated transferring at times because I wasn't getting the playing time I wanted. Mhmm. And but, yeah, I I can't say what my experience would have been socially or with hockey, and maybe it would have worked out better with hockey at another place, and I look at that as, like, a negative almost now because of where my life went. Yep. You know? So I think I found what I'm supposed to be doing with with the the acting and the comedy and the writing and stuff where I view that now. I'm just, like, grateful for how it played out. Yeah. And maybe that's just me being optimistic. But, yeah, I don't know what the experience would have been if I had gone somewhere else or transferred. I'm not sure where I'd be where I am.
Scott: Yeah. No. I right. Totally makes sense. And I'm I'm I'm wondering in in, like, was there anything specific about Maine, you you know, that, like, has kind of shaped things? And and maybe I'm not doing a great job of rephrasing it. Comedy wise?
Jamie: Like, do
Scott: think about like, Maine as a state or Maine as a school compared to maybe what you've seen elsewhere, is there anything like that you've really drawn upon in, like, you know, post hockey that's, like, you know, been, like, kind of, like, Maine specific or not necessarily?
Pat: That's hard to say. I I don't I don't know. I I'm not sure. Yeah. Because I I don't know if what they're
Scott: Just think of, like, main, like, you know, like, up out and, like, you know, much further north, a little more isolated, you know, like, I you know, in turn being less, like, close, like, urban areas. I I don't know. I've I've never myself been there, so I I don't know much about it, but I could imagine it's, like, a unique place to to go to school.
Pat: It there's a lot of nature. Like, I I definitely had a appreciation for nature and became more of, like, a chill guy. Oh, yeah. I don't know. Maybe that maybe that is because of Maine. Like, I Yeah. Things and whatnot because, I mean, when I was when I was younger, I was definitely, like, hot headed, and I reacted off of emotion a lot. And then during my years mostly at Maine, the kinda Kimball Union into my early times at Maine, I was, like really kinda, like, shifted my mindset of of how I would react to things emotionally and yeah.
Jamie: So I'm curious. Did you notice a difference in your play from when you were, like, the hot headed young kid to when you were a little more relaxed?
Pat: Yeah. Yeah. Like, a lot Yeah. Major difference, actually. It's funny because I think I became so much better after college. Mhmm. And I think a lot of it was my maturity. And I and I look back and I see, like, how you could benefit from going in as a 20 year old or a 21 year old. But, yeah, I think the way I looked at it because you're reacting off of emotion and you kinda it shows in the way you play, and you're almost, like, rushing things. You're impatient. And when you can not get so up and down and kind of, like, stay composed and poised when you're playing, you Yeah. You the game the game slows down for you. You start kind of looking at it from more of an analytical, like, standpoint rather than just, like, go, go, go. So, yeah, I actually do believe it helped my hockey a lot.
Jamie: Yeah. I'm trying to teach my 13 year old that right now because he he is a hothead. And I keep telling him, you gotta relax, like takes a you can tell when he's angry out on the ice because his plate just goes like this.
Scott: Yeah, but he's like the one that throws a puberty dude.
Pat: Yeah.
Jamie: He is. This is true, right? Yeah. Well, he was like this even before he started puberty, but he's that five three ninety nine pound kid right now.
Pat: Right.
Jamie: You know? You know? So
Pat: Yeah. You get the how old is he?
Jamie: He just turned well, he's 13. He's he'll be 14 in, like, April. So he's not he'll yeah. So he's right there.
Pat: Yeah. I I got that. And then and then when I finally started growing, I I went to the gym a lot. So then then I was like, I need to I need to prove a point now that I'm as big as everyone else. I'm strong. I need to go I need to go kill you. Everyone. Yeah. And I went through this weird phase where I was just, like, trying to fight and stuff in high school. It was it was a weird time.
Scott: Well, that that's, like, interesting that you just bring up, like, trying to fight and, so in terms of, like, you as a hockey player and, like Yeah. You know, where where your strengths lied and, like, kind of, like, what roles you had, you know, you hear a lot, you know, especially, like, as we've talked to people in this another podcast, you know, like, as as you get higher up the ranks, you know, it's just like the there's less of a gap in skill and people that are like, where the skill guy needed to, you know, become, like, you know, take on a different role in the team. Like, did that happen for you as you got, like, into to college and then after college, did your role on on on your teams change, or did you pretty much, you know, stay true to, like, how you played throughout the years?
Pat: No. It did change because when you go to college, typically, everyone is the top scorer from their team.
Scott: Right. And
Pat: then you're all going to one team, and that creates a lot of issue for a lot of people and a big mental struggle actually because you're so used to being the guy. Yeah. And then it's like then you really evaluate, like, okay. Do I do I like hockey, or do I like being the guy who scores? And, you know, like, it's a weird it's a struggle that yeah. A lot of people don't realize, like, an athlete, they they they see this, like, glory, and they're like, oh, like, you're a dual athlete. What do you have to complain about? You know? But they don't really see that side of side of it where, like, it's everything to you, and so you go, and then all of sudden, you're just, like, not the guy anymore. So in college, I was they kind of liked me as a third line grinder type player, and I hated it. I didn't want to I wanted to be on the power play, and I wanted to score, But I did it. You know? And so I definitely played just like a fast pace, and I they I if I wasn't finishing my hits, I would get yelled at. You know? Like, they so I kinda had to play that style in college. And then when I got to pro, it was I didn't really care. Like, I didn't know it helped me because I was so, like, I don't really give a shit anymore, and I I'm just gonna go play hockey. Like, I I'm gonna go have fun. So I just Yeah. I just went back to being, like, how I kind of felt I was before college and knew that I could be a goal scorer. And then in pro, I actually became so, like, my second year pro, I was, you know, the top goal scorer on my team, and I kinda went back into the role of being a, you know, a guy who scored points. And so I got to do that again, which was fun for me. I do it's not that I was, like, a skill guy, like, in the in the terms of, like I don't know. You trying to trying to think of, like, you know, Jack Hughes. Like, I wasn't like that. I I played very fast paced. I was explosive, and I could do cutbacks really well in the corner and stuff, and I I utilized that a lot rather than just, like, dangling people.
Scott: Right. Just creating time and space and playmaking. Yeah.
Jamie: You got drafted by the Florida Panthers. Right?
Pat: Yeah. I did.
Jamie: That must have been a pretty cool experience.
Pat: Yeah. That was yeah. I I think it was cool. I almost said it was a dream come true. I don't know I don't know if it was my dream come true or not or if it was, like, the other people's dream come true, but it was a it was definitely a very cool experience. At the time, I definitely was like, you know, this is the dream. I'm I'm playing you know, I'm drafted and whatnot. But I yeah. I got to go to five five development camps, I think, which, ideally, you don't wanna go to that many. You know? You wanna I wanna
Jamie: try to stick before then.
Pat: But, yeah, I did. I got to experience world. Yeah. Got to experience Florida in the summer. It was cool, though. Like, I I I'm really happy and grateful for that too. It was I got to be down there and kind of, like even if it was for a week, you kinda lived the life of how, like, they lived for a for a week at a time. And, you know, you I learned so much just in those, like, week long camps even if it was about hockey, like the coaches going over film and stuff, teaching you kind of, like, how to play offense. I learned so much there in the gym, strength training and and recovery and and warming up your body and stuff. Like, I learned so much during those, which I still like, even hockey aside, like, health wise too, I I look back, and now, like, I know how to work out and I know how to, like, gain Yeah.
Jamie: That stuff. And
Pat: I think such an underrated one is, like, they kind of, like, force like, they call it, like, breathing exercising exercises recovery, kind of like meditation. But, yeah, being able to learn how to calm yourself down after, like, an intense exercise is can translate into everyday life. And I think a lot of people don't learn that. You know? So I pull yeah. A lot of there's a lot of cool things I you're asking me how the NHL development camp was. Like, yeah. I learned how to meditate. It's great. You know?
Scott: Well, sometimes I'm just
Jamie: something different away. Right?
Pat: Totally. Whatever works.
Scott: Yeah. On the flip side of that though, do you have any, like, any, like, stories that, like, you'll never forget about whether or not I don't know if you could, like, say people's names or anything, but anything that was just, like, kinda, like, wild or, like, you never saw it coming that when you were in development camp? Or it's, like, all business?
Pat: It's business. It's definitely business there. But, yeah, it's because it was it was hard. That's like, when I think back to development camp, I was like, this is, like, this is, like, the most miserable week of the summer because we would go and I can say that now because I don't feel like I don't care who what the NHL scouts think of me now, but I I would I would dread it going there because you would go midsummer, so you're not really your season would end in, like, say, like, March, April, and you would take a couple months off or, like, a month or so off of the ice. And then June because the camp's at the June, you got you're like, okay. I have to start skating, and you start, like, going for a few weeks, and you think you're, like, relatively good shape, and you get there. And it's just, like, full steam, and you're, like, so out of shape. You don't realize. But they're, like, go, go, go. And then you're also like, shit. And if I show any, like, sort of being tired, I'm screwed. You know? So you're trying to, like, hide it and dying and it so it's very difficult physically and also it's structured. Like, you wake up at 6AM, and it's a very long day. You don't get back to your hotel room till, like, I don't know, seven at night.
Scott: So it's
Pat: very yeah. It's a it's a structure. It's a grind. Yeah.
Scott: Yeah. And then go home back to the hotel and meditate.
Pat: Exactly. Listen.
Jamie: Get prepared for
Scott: the next day.
Jamie: For tomorrow. Yeah. I was thinking the same thing.
Pat: Yeah. No. Sure.
Jamie: And then and then did alright. So then so you played a couple years pro. Did you start with the social media while you were playing, or did that come after? Like, when did all that start?
Scott: Wait. Can I just ask one question before you go on to that? Sorry, dude. But did so along the way, like, during your time pro, like, the way you kind of, you know, said, like, I'm gonna go back and I'm gonna, like, have fun, you know, was was was your passion for the game kinda dwindling, like, after after college, like, after you got a taste of what dev development camp was like and your time playing pro? Like, at that level, were you like, this is this is not what I'm going for, or it just didn't work out the way you wanted to for other reasons?
Pat: Yeah. Actually, I and I I think that's a good question. It it something that I think a lot of guys don't admit. But for me, it was yeah. It very much when hockey started feeling like a job, it very much my passion for it started dwindling. And I was Okay. During college, for sure, especially when I'm not the goal scorer. Mhmm. You know? And I'm playing, a third line role, and I don't I felt like I was going to work every day. Then I was like, that's not why I wanna play hockey. I'd like, you you think of hockey being, like, not a job when you're a kid. You you wanna be a professional hockey player because you view it as not working. You get to play. And when it yeah. So when it starts feeling like a job, you start reevaluating. I happen to this kind of ties to this question anyways. I happen to have a passion for, like, one I I don't know what it was. I always wanted to, like, be an actor, and I always had this thing in my head. Like, I'm going like, after hockey, I'll pursue acting. No idea, like, even what that meant or how. I was just like, I'm gonna do that. But so as I started getting into college, I was also like, hey. I'm kind of now in my twenties, so I should probably start doing some of these things that I'm, like, imagining in my head. You know? Like, how am I gonna be an actor if I don't even I don't go to school for acting or I don't do you know what I mean? Like, I was kinda like so I started doing the vlogging during college. Right? So I don't even know if you guys knew this. I did day in the life of a college athlete stuff.
Jamie: Okay. That's that's how it started. Alright.
Pat: Yeah. It was my junior, senior year, and it at the time, was like, oh, this is a way in to, like, the creative space. It didn't really work that way. People got obsessed with my hockey career, but I was definitely, like, enjoying the creative side of things a lot. And I found myself, again, like, daydreaming of, like, my dream life, and it wasn't the NHL. It was always, like, being an actor or, like, doing these creative things. And I so as I was in my early twenties, I started realizing that maybe I don't wanna play hockey. Maybe I'm playing hockey because I was born into it, and maybe I I maybe I loved it as a kid, but I outgrew it because it started becoming a job feeling. So, yeah, as I got into, like, my senior year, I kind of had I shifted my mindset too even into, like, I don't really I'm just gonna go have fun and play hockey and make it not a job even though Right. Because for three years, it had felt like that. So I was like, I'm just gonna go enjoy skating. The fact that I get to go and, like, skate and shoot the puck around, that's fun. I'm just gonna go do that, and I don't really care about anything else. You know? So when I when I went to back to play pro, though, I had to take a gap because of COVID.
Scott: Oh, wow.
Pat: I really fell in love with creating. I was like Interesting. I started doing my comedy sketches. I I I randomly got a role in a movie. It got canceled because of COVID. Yeah. Totally sick. But, yes, it gave me the confidence, though, because I was early doing right right when I graduated college, started putting out some skits. Just jumped into it. And for whatever reason, it led to this audition to a hockey movie, and they casted me for, like, this comedic relief as a high school guy. And even though it didn't happen, I was like, oh, like, they think I can be an actor.
Scott: You know? Wanted to
Pat: do this. They gave me this confidence, so I just started doing it. And for that year off, I was just making comedy sketches. And when I went back to hockey, was like, I need to, you know, I need to make money. I don't really have a good source of income even not that the coast is, but I was like, I need something to basically do while I try to grow the social media thing so I can leave hockey. And that was actually my mentality when I was going back into playing pro.
Scott: Interesting.
Jamie: Interesting. So you had already had it in your mind that you were gonna do this while you were still playing pro. That's wild.
Pat: Yeah. But my second year, I actually like I said, because I went in with this, like, carefree mindset, I actually did really good my my second year, and I played some I had a couple call ups to the a, and I felt like I I played in those games, and I was like, I can I can play here? Like, I had that confidence. Again, maybe it's my own, you know, delusional confidence I have, but whatever. I I had felt it, and I was like, I could do this. And so then I started going, oh, shit. Like, should I keep playing because would I be dumb not to? Mhmm. And ultimately, I I just kinda followed my passion where where where my energy was, and it just kind of after twenty to twenty five years of playing hockey, it just wasn't really there anymore.
Jamie: Didn't suit you anymore.
Pat: Yeah. Yeah.
Scott: So when you were, like, kind of, you know, going back to, like, the last one or two years where you and knowing that, like, you had this creative bug and, like, that was something that you were gonna take seriously, like, were you going into, like, the locker room or going into games or on the road thinking, like, alright. I need to get some content here. Were you starting to, like, put some stuff together, like, as you're on the road or doing whatever?
Pat: Well, yeah, I'd be editing on the bus. I'd be on my computer editing the bus. Yeah. Yeah. You know, other guys are in the back playing cards, you know, enjoying that lifestyle, which no not knocking it at all. Like, it's it's a fun moment, but, you know, I guys would come walking down the bus like, boys, boys, like, Chezo, come on. Wanna go play some cards? You know? You know, in my mind, I'm like, hey. I'm, you know, I'm I'm editing a video. And, like, the way I think, I'm just like, you I'm creating my future here, man.
Jamie: Like Yeah.
Pat: Go play.
Jamie: Yeah. Enjoy our card game. That's right. Yeah.
Pat: I'm creating history here. That's right. Right. Totally.
Jamie: I'm using my time wisely. Yeah. Yeah.
Pat: But that's Is that
Jamie: where the hockey house came? Like, where when did the hockey house come on? Because the first time I ever saw you was the hockey that's And I think I sent it to him. I'm like, dude, you have to see this. I'm like, this shit is so like, my kid our kids can, like, recite the hockey house, like, like, like, it's nothing. It's wild dude. The
Pat: one where I did like a fake tour.
Jamie: It was the one where where you where like you you both walk in, you're like, oh, is this the hockey house? And you're like, yeah, what are you? Are you a vet? You're like, no, a freshman. Like, oh, I'm a freshman too. You're like, I thought I was in a guy. Yeah, dude. Our kids to this still say, it doesn't matter. We don't talk logistics.
Scott: Talk logistics.
Pat: To this day, they still say Really?
Jamie: Yes. It's awesome. Yeah. So where did that come from?
Pat: That was a fun I've kinda I actually kinda recreated that scene in a way in full ride, like a different version of it. But
Jamie: When you walked in the first episode, when you walked
Pat: in the
Jamie: dorm room?
Pat: Yeah. So Right. Yeah. That really stemmed from I'm so good, dude. You're good. This is something yeah. Thank you. I I mean, I actually I that was one of the first ones that actually, like, went somewhat viral for me and kind of, like, started my momentum.
Jamie: I see why. Was phenomenal. Even to this day, it's phenomenal.
Scott: Oh, you must have a big cock too.
Jamie: What are you running? I'm running eight. I'm running eight on a good day.
Pat: Measuring up. You know? Yeah. It came from my freshman year in college. I remember it was freshman the freshman would go in in July, and it would just be us on campus, basically. And I
Scott: remember You're just talking hockey players. Right?
Pat: Yeah.
Scott: Freshman hockey players. Yeah.
Pat: Yeah. Hockey players. And we would we were sitting in this dorm room, and we were had just met each other. We were meeting each other for the first time. It was the first night, and everyone's just kinda, like, talking about their where they played and, you know, who did this. And then at the same time, you're also kind of you know, you all see yourself as the guy. You know? I was I was recruited here kinda to be the to turn the program around. You know? Like, who do you think you are? You like, and it's not said, but we're all kinda thinking it and saying it with what like, indirectly in a way. Right. If that makes sense.
Jamie: Yep.
Pat: And I just remember thinking back in it, like, that's such a weird and funny thing, but we all come in wanting to be the guy, and we're kind of like, oh, like, oh, where'd you play? Oh, you're you're a draft pick? Oh, interesting. Interesting. You know, like, preparing. So I I was like, we're basically measuring cocks over here. Yeah. Totally. 100%.
Jamie: You know?
Pat: I just felt like a perfect perfect punchline. Yeah. I I did actually and I I like that one. That's when I'm I look back at them, like, okay. That one holds up. Yeah.
Jamie: No doubt. It definitely does, by the way. Now, was was the other dude in that video, was he another hockey player on Main?
Pat: No. I met him on that, like, Almost movie that happened, and it was in Minnesota. Oh. Yeah. So I I, like, connected with a few guys who were, you know, hockey guys who had creative minds. And so we he was one for a couple years. He would come in and do some skits with me. But, yeah, just just like a a funny guy.
Jamie: Yeah. Gotcha. And and did and how did you meet, like, the full ride? So that was obviously, like, a precursor to, like, full ride and stuff like that. So what brought that about? What brought, like, the fuck? How did you think to do that? For those of for those of our listeners that don't know, Pat has a series called full ride on his YouTube channel, Pat Shea, which is it's five episodes, and they're phenomenal. Whoever does not not seen it, go see it. But how how did that come about? How'd Full Ride come about?
Pat: It was yeah. I mean, it started as young as high school where I was watching Blue Mountain State, and I was such a dyad fan of that and just comedy movies. Like, I loved comedy movies that we would quote them, me and my brothers. Like, we that's all we did. We would come home I'd come home from college, and we'd just quote movies. We don't even have a real conversation. I was like, we loved it. So I I just always gravitated towards, like, comedy, movies, and shows where when I was actually a senior in college doing, like, the vlogging stuff, I my aspirations were always to try to do acting. So I actually remember saying, like, to my roommates, I'm I'm gonna make a I'm gonna make a show about like, a comedy show about college hockey players, you know, someday. And I, like, I just say this to you. Like, it sounds so dumb. Like, I was just like, yeah. And they're probably like, oh, yeah. Cool. Nice. Yeah. But fast forward, I I was at a point where I was about a year or so removed from hockey, and I jumped right into making, like, short films, like, parody day in the life parody stuff of, like, and I learned a lot fast and trial and error just, like, jumping in and doing it. But so it was, like, early twenty twenty four, and I was like, I wanna make this college hockey show, but, like, how do I like, I know I did a movie actually called Shattered Ice. It's coming out, I think, at the end of the year. But I did that, and I had, like, this itch now for getting back on set and acting. And I've realized that to the writer, I became pretty tight with the writer, Jake Myskin, and he told me it took him, like, ten years to get this movie made. He's like, I started writing it in college. It took me, like, over ten years till now where we're making the movie. Oh, wow. And so knowing that, I was like, I'm not I'm not gonna just try to pitch this and get dragged along and a lot of no's. I'm I'm just gonna do it. I'm I'm because at the time, was 26, almost 27. When I filmed it, I was 27. So I was like, I I don't wanna I mean, you can only play the college age for x amount of time, and it's like, I'll do it. I'm just gonna do it. I'm gonna write it and film it low budget, micro budget. And so that's how I and I just started I was like, you know what? And I just started pulling pieces together, like, immediately.
Jamie: And How'd you cast it? Like, how'd you how'd you come up did you did you have to, like, ask people for money for, like, for, like, a budget? Like, how'd you do it? Did have you to go out and, like, pitch people to, like, support the film?
Pat: No. So here here's a funny fun fact here. So when I was playing pro, I you can see my scar here. That was a puck off my face, and then I lost a tooth here. This is a flipper tooth, and I have a scar on my lip that you can barely see. But workers' compensation
Jamie: checks shit.
Pat: Hit. Like shit. Late twenty twenty four. So I had, like, $20.25 grand. Bunch of money.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.
Pat: Just use it to, you know, buy some new camera gear and To fund
Jamie: your projects. That's nuts, dude.
Pat: That's nuts. It's so micro budget in the scheme of, like, making five thirty minute episodes, which you could call, like, five thirty minute epis like, short films if you want. Like, typically, people would kill for $20 to make, like, a ten minute short. You know? Like Right. Jeez. So I was really it's really low budget, I had a lot of favors and locations. But, you know, a lot of the money of that budget I'm talking about just went into buying new camera gear and lighting and, like, microphones and stuff. But Right. I the one of the guys, G Sun, I met him also on that movie in Minnesota Right. Where it's just super random and he was a creative guy and we had and the other guy, Carter, I met at UMaine. He was a he he was a freshman during my fake fifth year, I like to call it, because when COVID was happening, I had so much free time. I would go up and, like, live at Humane with my my old friend, my old roommate for, like, three weeks at a time. And I met Carter, and we were we had such a funny banter that I immediately was like, hey. Let's you wanna be in videos? I'm doing comedy skits. Seems like, you're, you know exactly. He was he
Jamie: was playing on Main at the time. He was a freshman playing for Main.
Pat: No. No. He's not. Oh, he was not. Oh. No. He was he was he's on the track team, actually. He's a he's a Canadian funny. Canadian kid who played hockey growing up. Yeah. And Got it. Like, randomly got, like, a scholarship to run booty d d. He jumped, like, the hurdles or whatever at a man.
Jamie: He's a tall guy. Yeah. Yeah.
Pat: Yeah. Did it for a year and then called it quits. But yeah. So he when I was doing some of the earlier parody stuff, did, like, high school videos. Carter and Gisun came in. I was
Jamie: like Right.
Pat: And then we just had this good chemistry. So I built the show around that trio. And for budget purposes, I wrote it kinda have you seen Workaholics? No. The the so it's a comedy show. It's about three kind of idiots who who are mid twenties working for, like, a job for the first time
Jamie: Yeah.
Pat: Yeah. Yeah. The job office. And it follows them the whole time. It's kind of just like the, you know, their new journey. They have a new one every episode. So I kind of shaped it like that. So I didn't need to tell, like, four different stories within it. Right. I could just tell the story of our trio. Yeah. So then I casted, like, some supporting guys who, you know, kinda just did me a solid Got lucky meeting the coach who was hysterical Mark Reilly. He I met him earlier that year.
Jamie: He's a funny And
Pat: so I was like, you'd be when I was writing it, I was, like, picturing him as the coach because he would be he had that personality. Right. And then everyone else, like, whether we're just they were, like, a day player, so I would, like, put up a casting on backstage, and I'd it was just, like, for whatever role for a scene, you know, or, like, I needed you for an episode. And people would just submit, and then, yeah, I just would go through audition
Jamie: That's and
Scott: That's unbelievable. Did go
Jamie: back to that again. No, no. I'm just curious. Like, so you wrote the it was was it all scripted, or was there a lot of it like did you guys ad lib at all? Like, because because like you said, you, G Sun, and Wheels have, like you guys are really good together. Like, it's very natural, the three of you.
Pat: Thank you. We we built the chemistry by doing that. It was a high school day in the life parody. I don't know if you've seen you've probably seen some of the clips, but not maybe not the full thing. And we that, so I called it a real day in the life of a high school hockey player senior year. I had for that was, like, here's the premise of each scene. No dialogue written, But this is where it's going. And we literally just sat down with, like, two cameras and improvised.
Jamie: So you guys ad libbed everything.
Pat: This was super for the high school one.
Jamie: Right.
Pat: For that.
Jamie: For that yeah.
Pat: But that's Oh, we gained that's how we grew such, like, a good dynamic in chemistry because we were doing that, and it was so fun, but also you kind of we created this dynamic. So when I with full ride, though, because I like I said, I learned a lot fast.
Jamie: Right.
Pat: I did learn, like, okay. I need to script things for organization purposes, and also, like, I need to make sure the joke is getting across that I have in my mind. Because, like, punch lines are important. Getting to the next scene is important. Mhmm. So there it's fully scripted, the show, but there is definitely improv in it. And I don't I can't How much percent of it's improv?
Jamie: I don't know. Yeah. Yeah. That's not that's not important.
Pat: There's yeah. Definitely moments. It's Mhmm. Following the structure of the script, though, which is important to find in in actors, like, when you're improvising is make sure you're hitting the same beat. You're basically saying the same thing, maybe in a different delivery or a different different wording. It might be funnier. You know? If that kinda makes sense.
Jamie: So Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Sure.
Pat: Little hybrid of scripted and improv, though.
Jamie: Nice. Very cool.
Scott: That that's unbelievable that that you've just I I mean, that you've for someone that didn't have, like, you know, like you said, like, the prerequisite, like, whatever training or whatever, not that you need it clearly Yeah. But that you just, like, kinda dove into it, and it's, like, all the success that you've had, it's it's, like and it's, like, shit's hysterical. Like so, like, good for you on that. So, like, at this point, now that you like, it sounds like you're full on in terms of, like, acting, directing, like, you know, writing, all that stuff, creating. Right? So in terms of, like, hockey, is there is is are you involved in the sport at all? Like, on ice? Like, you you beer league in? Like, any, like, skills instruction in the community or anything like that?
Pat: I I've done in the past, at the moment, I've done skills stuff like coaching stuff like that in the past. But at the moment, I'm I think the biggest, like, pull I have, like, on the hockey community is, like, through the social media stuff where whether it's, you know, me having influence by creating something that has hockey humor or hockey world, like, full ride, it kinda has that impact where I don't know. In my situation, it's like if I can make people laugh, and I I view that as a as a positive. Sure. I'll do these events and stuff. I'd be like, whatever whenever it comes. Like, I did a few charity at hockey events last year, and we're in, like, the community and meeting all of these people of all ages. And, I mean, I find joy in that. I but, no, I'm when I stopped playing, I was I was very, like, burnt out from playing. So Right. I I don't do beer league and stuff right now. I I really just I'll skate when an opportunity comes and like, what happened with I was saying I met the hockey guys. We were in Wisconsin at a long drink sponsor. They sponsored the event, but it was a big pond hockey tournament. And we just we were in the community of all these hockey people, and it's still it's still my favorite, you know, community. It's a it's a great like, hockey is a great community and group of people. It's it Right. I I guess I don't know that many others, like, communities as far as, like, sports or different groups of people and whatnot, but I've I I grew up in it, so I enjoy being around hockey guys.
Jamie: Right. Girls. And it it's funny you mentioned a long drink. You have a skit on, I wanna say, I think it's on your Instagram, where you're sitting with another dude and you guys are drink guys are drinking long drinks. And and you're going, I I spent $20 for my I went into debt for my kid to play it, he had no points this weekend or, like, in five games. Like, when you said when I saw that, I'm like, holy shit. I'm like, that's like a lot that goes on in the youth hockey space. Yeah. Oh.
Pat: Yeah. It's I know.
Jamie: I mean, it's dude. I mean, like, you know, so what was that a little, like, modeled, I don't know if after your dad, but, like, like, do you see or or any other dads, you know, did you see that a lot? Because Scott and I see that a lot.
Pat: Yeah. Yeah. It's it's for yeah. It's modeled or inspired by many dads over
Jamie: the years. Yeah. Right there. Exactly.
Pat: Situations that I observed being, like, over the top parents or even just parents that I meet, I think a lot is something I remember it's a question I'll get a lot, but it's like I was doing some skill stuff and for my friend, he has, like, a power skating thing up in Maine, but we he had me on for a few sessions and, like, parent comes up to me and is like, you know, hey. So, like, you know, what can I what can I do, you know, with with you know, actually with his daughter? He said, what can, you know, I do for my daughter to make sure, you know, she makes it d one and gets to the next level? I'm like, well, she's 10. Exactly.
Jamie: Exactly. Right?
Pat: You want me to, like, tell you my life story right now? Like, every little thing I did to like, there's no secret answer, and I get that question a lot, and I find that humorous that, like Right. It's just so important for these parents to try to get their kid to the NHL. Mhmm. And there's no in between. It's like, how do I get my kid to the NHL? And I don't know. I I get it. You know? If I mean, I don't have any kids, but I get it. Like, you want the best for your kid. You want your kid to succeed. I think a lot of times it's the parents' dream and Mhmm. Not the kid's dream, which that's kind of what I joke on in these videos. Like, I did one it was a couple years ago now. I've but I've reposted it. It was it was a similar tailgating one, and I kept saying, like, we. It's like we. I was talking about the team, and, like, my friend is like, you know, I just wanna remind you, you're not on the team. You know?
Jamie: That was the one, I think. That was it. You guys are sitting in, like, lawn chairs or like that?
Pat: Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. I've done a couple in that with that setting.
Jamie: Oh, yeah. You have. Okay.
Pat: Yeah. But I I find it I find humor in it now when I look back at all these different moments. But it's they're passionate that it like, so I know, I I get it, but it's some of them are very over the top and yeah. Yeah. I I think,
Scott: you know, just even for myself and, like, others, I think parents are wanna hear if there was anything that, like, you or the next person who got to a high level. Like, is there anything in particular that you did? Like, anything that you would recommend, you know, for and I'm not asking you this question right now, although feel free to answer it, but, like, that's the way I I kinda take it. Like, I like, they don't do a great job of maybe, like, framing it out or, like, you know, whatever, but I think they're just looking for, you know, some advice that worked Yeah. For someone that made it. You know what I mean?
Pat: No. And I totally like, I laughed at it, but I get it. I I understand their like, where they're coming from. It's just I over like, I have that comedic view on things, and I owe all of all stuff. I I understand where they're coming from. They they want the best for their kid, and they see someone who played d one or in pro, and they're like, how do I how do I how do I do it?
Jamie: How do do What do? What am I supposed be doing? Yeah.
Pat: They don't really know, like, the right question. They just wanna know how they get their kid to do what you did. Totally. To to be honest, like, there's not one thing.
Scott: Right.
Pat: It's years and years of it. I I think you can't force it, but I think it's, like, an obsession. Like, you're obsessed with this thing. Like, so that in this thing right now, we're talking about hockey. So it's like, I will I I was obsessed with the idea of being the best hockey player on well, I obviously wanted to make d one, and I wanted to make the NHL. When I was a kid, that was, like, my, you know, the goal. Whether I was told it was my goal or not, it was, like, it was my, you know, goal, and I would be on a team. Like, I got to high school, and I was a little like I said, I was a little late bloomer, so there were people on the team better than me in my freshman year. So, like, going to my sophomore year, I grew a little bit, and I was like, I'm gonna be the best player on the team this year. And I would stay after practice, and I would work on shooting accuracy, like, and very obsessively want to become the best player. I want to be the strongest guy. Like, I was it's competitive and just obsessing over being the best. And I think you can't really force that on a kid. It's either they want to do it or they don't. And that's why it's like it's it's a difficult thing to answer because it's like, yeah, if they, you know, put a lot a lot of time in and obsess over this thing. Like, they can they can do it too. There's no secret camp. There's no secret, hey. You need to shoot 300 pucks every day, or, you know, you need to go to this coaching skating coach. It's just a lot of years of obsessing over a sport.
Scott: And reps. All these different reps. Yeah. You
Pat: Training's smart, I should say, too, though. Because the you can shoot a 100 pucks, but if you're just shooting it the same way, the wrong way
Scott: Right.
Pat: Into the same spot, you're not actually improving.
Scott: Totally.
Pat: And I think that's a thing lost as well.
Scott: So do you find do you see, like, your younger, like, self's obsession with getting better at hockey? Like, is that replaying itself now in in the creative space and what you're up to now? Like, are you seeing, like, any sense of deja vu? Are you taking, like, lessons learned and applying them differently to, like, your next chapter?
Pat: I do try to learn. I'm yes, though. I'm I'm very much an obsessive guy. Like, I I get it. I get set on something, and I'll, like, obsess over it for sure. And I wanna be the best at what I do. I whether it's, like, a competitive thing or I I don't know. What I I I, just obsess with becoming it's not even I wanna be the best. I wanna be great at it. And it's not that I care if I'm as good or better than other people. It's just I wanna be great at this thing that I'm that I love doing.
Jamie: Right.
Pat: So right now, for me, it's it's acting and writing comedy and creating comedy sketches. And, yes, I do try to learn from where maybe it was unhealthy during hockey and how I can have a balance because I did learn during probably too late, but during pro, less is more. And I realized that because it's so easy to get caught up in especially with, like, creating. You see all these other content creators, and you're like, if I don't post every day, like, I'm gonna fall behind. And but then I remember and I had that with hockey too. I I remember one year, it was in, like, after my sophomore year, I was like, I need to, like, get better or freshman year. Was like, I need to get my hands better. And I never I didn't take any time off. I I literally stayed on the ice after the season. I never took, like, a month off or anything, and I just obsessed, and I was so burnt out during the season that year. Right. And then when I got a little older and I started playing pro, I realized, like, I would I would not see it till August. I I would take the I ended the season, say, was,
Jamie: like Right.
Pat: May, April or May, and the season starts for the pro in October. I wouldn't skate till August. I literally would not go on the ice. And and at that point, I'm a little bit more evolved, so I'm not gonna forget how to play hockey. Like, I'm Right. In my twenties. It's a little different. I don't think, like, a kid should take three, four months off. But but learning that, like, hey. Take a break is actually more beneficial than skating every day. Do you if that makes sense? And Yeah.
Jamie: It does. 100%.
Pat: Yeah. And and, also, I found this too, and there's gonna be people who disagree with this. But at at the point of when I was playing in the coast, like, I wouldn't like I said in high school, I would. I would definitely be out there and doing extra and extra work all the time because I'm trying to get better and whatnot. But when I was playing pro, I would do, you know, a little bit that I needed to work on, but then I would just get off the ice. Like, I I wouldn't feel the need to stay on the ice for an hour long longer. I would train smarter in the moments I was on and put all my energy into the moments that I or the, you know, the time that I was on the ice and then just, you know, have a balance of being off of it and not thinking about it. And I found that's that was my best year of hockey because I was just so loose and, like, had a good balance. Like, I'm not gonna overwork. I'm not I'm just gonna have fun. And I do that now with with creating. I I I believe in, like, quality and over quantity and taking the time to write things and making sure it's, like, a great sketch rather than trying to make five fast and them not being that good. I don't know.
Scott: That makes So
Jamie: with that being said, what is next for you? What's what's in the hopper?
Pat: Actually, just I'm finishing it up right now editing wise. It's I did I did a 10 episode sketch series, so it's like 10 comedy skits with two characters. It's a relationship
Jamie: humor,
Pat: which
Jamie: Right.
Pat: I I do wanna kinda spread my wings a little on, like, not just do hockey related stuff. So this is kind of I think relationship humor is relatable to everyone, you know, to everyone everyone experience. So I I think it's a good, like, bridge to do more with rather than just hockey. But yeah. So I'm finishing that up. Right now, that's on the kinda where my mind is. And then I wanna do more full ride at but I just don't know what that will look like and when because we like I was saying before we went on, like, one of Wheels is stuck up in Canada, so that's a logistical issue.
Scott: We'll talk logistics. Yeah.
Jamie: What how how is he he can't cross the border to come into The US? Is that what it is?
Pat: Yeah. He had some visa issues. So he's He's slouchy. Yeah. For X amount of time, and then we'll see. But yeah. I mean, if I do it again too, I would it would be nice to have a budget, but
Jamie: Right.
Pat: I would do it micro budget again if he was here. Right. Like, I kinda would either have to do it without him or go up to Canada, but I just look at it as I'm gonna let it grow and see where it can go. And in the meantime, I'm gonna create some other stuff. So that's awesome.
Jamie: Are you happy with how it's doing so far with how Full Ride's been doing?
Pat: Yeah. I I can't complain. It's outperformed anything else that I've released as far as, like, a long form project. I mean, first episode has I think it's, like, a 123,000 views. So it's like I mean, I'm happy with it. I can't complain. It's I think it's a niche which makes it hard with, like, hockey. It's Oh.
Jamie: It's
Pat: so it's almost there's almost like a stigma with it. It it's weird because, you know, you watch a movie. Anyone will watch a movie or a show about football players because it's so popular that, like, they know it's not about football. You don't need to know football to watch and enjoy the show, like Friday Night Lights or
Jamie: Right.
Pat: Right. But with hockey, it's so niche that, like, the broader audience will see hockey and be like, I don't know that sport. I can't I'm not gonna watch that. And so it definitely is it is limited in that sense, especially in America.
Jamie: Mhmm. Right.
Scott: Well, it certainly sounds like that that show heated rivalry. It's changing things. I was talking to someone and they're like, we're you're just like saying, you like, you know, I'm I play hockey. My son plays hockey. And they're like, have you seen heated rivalry? And I was like, I I haven't actually, you know, for no reason. Just that I haven't. Yeah. And but it sounds like it's it's reaching a broader audience.
Pat: It's is. It's a female audience mostly, though.
Scott: Yeah. That is that's really good me.
Jamie: Yeah. It's like a woman said it to us. Yeah. Yeah.
Scott: Alright. You're right.
Pat: My stuff is actually, like, heavily male. Have a heavy male audience.
Scott: Male audience.
Pat: Yeah. Right. Yeah. That doesn't surprise. That much dropped over.
Scott: Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. So I got one last I don't know it's like a last one. We should wrap it up, but thank you so much for your time. It's we're, like, you know, a little over an hour now, so this has been unreal. But just always curious to about, you know, to ask people who are, like, you know, so involved in, like, you know, social media and that stuff. You know, in terms of things that, like, maybe people get wrong when they are like, anything do you find anything is, like, really misleading in terms of, like, people's perception of, like, what it takes to do what you guys are doing because, you know, just like even and I'll relate it to, you know, my son and, like, hockey. Right? Like, he watches highlights. He watches highlights. He doesn't watch the whole game. I mean, he, you know, he does sometimes, but it's just like Right. He thinks that, like, you know, it's just like this super distilled, like, very focused, unrealistic view of, like, what the whole thing is. Is there is there anything that, like, you would say about, like, what you do and, like, what's going on in the world of social media that's just maybe misleading to people that are consuming it?
Pat: For sure. I mean, it's funny. Like, that's a good, like, analogy almost with the way you people watch the hockey highlight, but not the full game, or they see the game on TV, but not all the practice and stuff. You know? Right. Anyway, or all the even watching the game, they don't understand all the systems and the and, like, all the different things that are happening on the ice at the time or going on in the mind of the player. But, yeah, with for me, at least, like, I'm kind of on this weird, like, content creator slash, like, doing, you know, film, like, where it's, like, filmmaking. So, like, for my show, like, Full Ride, it's a lot of people, which I'm grateful for, a lot of people loved it. When when's the next episode? When are you doing more? When are like when why'd you stop posting the episodes? And I'm like, well, that took me fifteen months to make. I can't Wow.
Scott: It took
Jamie: you over a year. Really?
Pat: Yeah. Because Right.
Jamie: No shit. I didn't realize that.
Pat: Yeah. This is like what I mean with filmmaking is, like, I'll give an so I wrote it. So I started writing it in February 2024. I've finished writing, like, three episodes or whatever, and then I wrote two more. But so say I started writing in February, and then we filmed it in June and August 2024. And then I finished the editing and literally as I was releasing it in June with 2025 with the final episode. So Wow. The editing is a big part of the post, you know, the time consuming thing.
Scott: But
Pat: Yeah. Even just the writing and knowing the locate a lot goes into it where but that's not always that's not the case with every content creator. A lot of people just put their phone up and do content. It's like I I try to, you know, make it more of a filmmaking thing and feel like a real TV show or as much of, like, a set as I can with the budget that I have. But so, yeah, for me, I guess, there's a lot more that goes into it than, I guess, what meets the eye. I think most people think I just put up a camera and start talking and, you know, it just happens.
Scott: But I Yeah.
Pat: Put a lot more thought into it.
Jamie: That's cool. Well, listen, I hope you made the first five were awesome. I hope you come out with a season two where a six, seven, eight, nine, ten, whatever it's gonna be, because it was funny as shit. Like, it was really, really well done. I you keep saying micro budget. I could not tell that it was a micro budget. Like, I would not have guessed that when you said that.
Pat: No. Thank you. I take that as a compliment that yeah. Because it's filmmaking's expensive. It's that's another thing people don't realize, like, how much a movie costs to make. So, yeah, I appreciate it. I did what I could with the money I had and the editing and stuff, so I appreciate that.
Jamie: So to all of our listeners, go watch his full ride and then go to his Instagram and go buy his White Pine hockey sweatshirts and swag so he can make a season two.
Scott: Yes. So on that note, Pat, where where can everyone find you?
Pat: Yeah. I'm on I get all the social media apps. Instagram is Piche twenty five. The other ones are Pat underscore Shea. But, yeah, I'm on Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, YouTube.
Jamie: YouTube. Yeah. Yeah.
Scott: Yeah. All the things. Yeah. We'll we'll put all that up on in the show notes when we put this up. Listen, I gotta say, first and foremost, I know you're busy. Thank you so much for taking some time out. It was super, super to, like, get to know you more and just hear about the creative side of things and kinda, like, what goes into that because Well, you're making us all laugh,
Pat: thank you. I I appreciate you guys having me on. This is great. Yeah.
Scott: No. This is awesome.
Jamie: Appreciate it, Pat. Thanks so much, Pat.
Scott: Alright, Pat, man. Have a great night. Alright, everybody. Welcome back from an amazing interview with Pat Shea. Dude, that was amazing to talk to him, to learn more about the the mastermind behind the hockey house.
Pat: Yeah,
Scott: man. I mean
Pat: Yeah.
Scott: That guy is just like I'm so impressed on how he's transitioned from a hockey player to don't know.
Jamie: Director, writer, actor. Hockey culture. Yeah. He's a very talented guy, clearly. It's funny how he I wonder how long he's had that bug for.
Scott: I mean, it definitely happened during college, right? Because that's when he started doing it.
Jamie: Yes. But I wonder if that was when he was a younger kid. Did he say it? I don't if he did, I missed it. But that's impressive that he kind of it's funny he said that when he got drafted, thought it was awesome. But he's like, was it my dream or was it somebody else's dream?
Scott: Exactly. And then he went to development camp like five times.
Jamie: No. He's like, Southern Florida was great though.
Scott: Dude, and then his dad has a Stanley Cup ring as being a scout for the Yeah, man. The avalanche.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. He's he's So look. There's into it.
Scott: I I I have to believe there's, like, know, especially with the brothers that played. It must have been Mhmm. Like, a hockey breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Jamie: All hockey all the time.
Scott: All hockey all the time. And luckily, he reached a high level, but ultimately saw that he had other passions.
Jamie: Yes. Yes, he did. Clearly, editing on the bus while everybody's playing cards in the back is I mean, it's telling.
Scott: No. For sure.
Jamie: You know, he's he was clearly clearly interested in doing some other things outside of ice hockey. Yeah. But it's cool that he took, like, his experiences in the game and at main and doing all the things he did, you know, and playing, you know, playing pro. Like, he took those things and he made them into some pretty funny skits. Yeah. You know? Like, full ride is tremendous, by the way.
Scott: Yeah. It's really funny.
Jamie: I'm I'm wearing the White Pine hockey sweatshirt.
Scott: Oh, you fucking fanboy.
Jamie: Yeah. You know, I figured it was know, I gotta support. Gotta support.
Scott: Yeah. Well, that's that's true. I'll give it that.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah.
Scott: It's a
Jamie: fanboy. I'm trying to support. Fanboy. You know? So I bought a bunch of things from the Pat Shea Hockey Store. You know? No. He did not give them to us for free. Thanks, Pat. I'm just kidding. I didn't ask for anything for free. No. We gotta you gotta support your, you know, the guest. No.
Scott: I I I I back you on that.
Jamie: Yeah. He's he's a funny bastard, so you can't it's hard not to. Yeah. You know?
Scott: Yeah. I'm looking forward to see what he comes out with next.
Jamie: Dude, me too. And he said that stuff's not easy to do. It takes money and
Scott: And the budgets he's working on, super small budgets.
Jamie: And his one buddy is stuck up in Canada. Know? He's one of the actors. He's stuck up
Scott: So they're on hold.
Jamie: Not Gisode, the other dude. He's stuck up in Canada. It's like, yeah, exactly. He said that we could do it without him, but like, ugh, know? Not
Scott: the same.
Jamie: Do you want to go down that road? So it's like Anyway, please. Yeah, would love a season two of Full Ride, by the way. Just saying, Pat. Season two, Full Ride.
Scott: There you go. But yeah, no, that was awesome. Yeah. But so anyway, so we didn't talk hockeying on our side before we kicked off the episode. Right. And also failed to do this a few times, but parents, please know that the we'd love to we'd love to get any videos or clips or pictures of any of your kids that are putting in the work in the off season.
Jamie: Yeah. Scott loves the name of that,
Scott: by the way. No. No. See, that's What's
Jamie: it called, Scott?
Scott: CHD grinders.
Jamie: Sounds like a bad dating app.
Scott: I mean Right?
Jamie: I mean
Scott: It if you if listen. That aside swipe left. We all know that the kids are putting in the hard work now. And the part of the part of interesting what I'm interested in seeing and although I can imagine is like, you know, all the different things that I'm sure there's families out there that are doing unique things that, you know, may that maybe other families wouldn't think are gonna translate into, you know, like hockey hockey skills, hockey strength down the road. So really, the whole idea is just to Yeah. Get get other ideas and, you know, give props to the kids that are putting in all the hard work to level up their experience. So, yeah, anyone wants to send in clips, videos Anything. Stills of your kids putting in the hard work, send it our way, CHD grinders.
Jamie: Yeah. The stuff that nobody sees.
Scott: That's it.
Jamie: Yeah. When nobody's watching.
Scott: Right? That's exactly it.
Jamie: Other than the parents.
Scott: How you do anything is how you do everything.
Jamie: Well said, buddy.
Scott: No. I I don't take credit. Yes. Perhaps.
Jamie: But Well, yes. But well said by you. Yes. Even if you didn't come up with it, it's well said. No. You know? No. It's true.
Scott: I'm pretty sure I got that from the hockey think tank. Thank you, Tofer and Jeff.
Jamie: Yes. Yes. It's funny you bring that up because I actually spoke to Topher earlier today. Yeah. So it's funny that you bring that up
Scott: Yes.
Jamie: On the day when I literally spoke to him. He's been very helpful, by the way, to us kind of doing and Jeff also, by the way. They've both been very helpful to us, which is nice. They're pretty good dudes. They like to give back to the game, which is awesome.
Scott: Yeah, as is many of the folks that we've spoken to. Getting
Jamie: So true.
Scott: So hockey. Hockey? You are about to do tryouts.
Jamie: Yeah. So tier one tryouts start tomorrow. I think our our Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, something like that.
Scott: And are you going to any tier one tryouts?
Jamie: Not going to any tier one tryouts.
Scott: No tier one tryouts from this guy.
Jamie: Made some phone calls today. Yeah. You know, telling people that we would not be at any tier one tryouts. One was particularly tough. You know? Yeah. That was that that you know? Yeah. Yeah. But going to stay and try to develop locally. Dominic doesn't think he's ready. He might be, but he doesn't think he's ready. So if he doesn't think he's ready in his head, then Right.
Scott: Then that's no point in pushing.
Jamie: Right. Exactly. So we we're gonna stay and I wanna say have fun because he I think he'll probably have fun wherever he goes ish. Right? But, you know, he's he wasn't feeling it yet.
Scott: Listen. If it's a bad setup, it's easy to not have fun if it's a bad setup. If you're not getting the playing time, if you're not feeling good about yourself, if it's a long car ride, if it's like all these things, you know, look, I'm not saying he wouldn't have fun no matter where he goes. All I'm saying is that, you know, there are situations where,
Jamie: Listen, you don't know what it would be until you do it. He likes to coach a lot. So it was hard for him to say no. So that was not easy for him to say
Scott: no But
Jamie: he's familiar with his team for the last two years. So we'll do one more. And then figure stuff out down the road. We're not doing anything tomorrow. You feel relieved?
Scott: No. No. Does your crazy hockey dad, what's the word I'm Mind? Looking Is that you feeling okay with the decision that's being made? Or you Yeah.
Jamie: No. No. No
Scott: issues. FOMO?
Jamie: No. No. No. Kinda put the stake in the ground? Yeah. I think so.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: No. No issues whatsoever. Know, listen, we left it up to him.
Scott: Mhmm.
Jamie: You know? And whatever he was gonna do, we were gonna support him. You know, so we talked about things open and honestly. We put down, like, pros and cons of everything on, like, a you know, we did, like, a Venn diagram. Oh. Not really. I'm just joking. We really did a Venn diagram. But we did a pros and cons list. You know? So so so yeah. No. I think he's pretty comfortable with with what he's doing. And, listen, like I said, it's it's familiar to him. And I don't think I don't think he's at the age where I don't think he needs listen. Dominic's gonna be a late bloomer. Yeah. You know? So I don't think another year of doing this is gonna be a bad thing. You know? So hopefully, go win a AA national championship.
Scott: Well, that's a big claim.
Jamie: Yeah. That's kind of like the plan. You know what I mean? I mean, the team is is good enough to do it. You know? So they came close last year, so doesn't try to go for it again this year and see what happens.
Scott: National championship.
Jamie: Yeah. What did I call it?
Scott: No. That's what you called it, but they didn't do it. I mean, this past season, it wasn't an option. Right?
Jamie: No. It wasn't an option. Right. You know? But we, you know, we we lost to the best team that we've seen. We lost four-three or five-four. Four-three, I think it was.
Scott: So you're not Right. Okay. Go ahead.
Pat: Yeah.
Jamie: No, I'm just saying we're close. We're definitely close. So we'll see. We'll see what another year brings. Another year of development, another year of kids getting older, bigger, stronger, faster. So hopefully it's good season. And hopefully he learns and grows and all that good stuff. Yeah, no, I'm not bent out of shape at all.
Scott: That's great.
Jamie: No, it was not like a again, because we kind of let him drive the ship. Sure. So it was whatever he was going to do. But ultimately, was a little more comfortable with
Scott: With that. Okay, good.
Jamie: So we'll see.
Scott: Great. Well, the fact that it was
Jamie: Yeah, wasn't bad.
Scott: It was led by him and he's the one that's got has agency in the whole thing and you're not pushing him somewhere, that's already a great start. He's going into it like this was my decision, I'm going to own it.
Jamie: Yes. I pushed him into things before. I did not want to do that again. Right. I really wanted no part of that. Yeah. So I listened to him and my wife, and I think he settled on a decision, and we're gonna go with it. Great. And listen, another year of development and we'll see kind of how he does. You know, the coach that that that, you know, he likes a lot that we that we said that we we weren't gonna come to, I think he's gonna do some stuff with him throughout the season.
Scott: Okay.
Jamie: Like one on one, stuff like that, because he's a really good coach. Sure. So I think we're going to go down there and do some stuff with him. So that'll be because he's a good dude.
Scott: Yeah. You've always said that.
Jamie: Yeah. And Dominic likes him a lot.
Scott: That was great, man.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. So that's kind of what's going on. Are you guys doing spring practices at all?
Scott: There are going to be some. We have not gotten those yet.
Jamie: Okay. No. Because I would think that's coming soon. Because tier one trouts are tomorrow, and tier two trouts are next Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.
Scott: Definitely coming soon.
Jamie: Yeah. So I would think the April is when you guys are gonna start getting back on the ice. Does that sound right?
Scott: Yeah. Something like that.
Jamie: Because Nationals just ended yesterday. Right? Yeah. I would think that that's coming shortly.
Scott: Yeah. No, if something comes shortly, and then before you know it, it's going to be summer, and then before you know the hockey season starts again.
Jamie: Speaking of summer, Dominic and Otto have signed up for the Princeton Ice Hockey Camp.
Scott: That's true.
Jamie: Yes. So we love Princeton Ice Hockey. And we have a big New Jersey listening base. So I recommend you guys going to try to sign up for the Princeton Ice Hockey Camp. It's being run by all the coaches. It's being run by coach Sire. It's being run by coach Jones, the other two guys. You know, Scott and I are doing it. Our kids are gonna sleep there. Yeah. It's I wanna say it's the Scott, you wanna look it up for me?
Scott: Sure. I'd be happy to do that. Let me look that up as you're typing on your computer while
Jamie: you You can't look it could probably do it quicker than me. Alright. I got it. Kidding. You just
Scott: did it faster
Jamie: than me. All right. So the Elite Tiger Camp. So Dominic and Otto are doing the twentieth through the twenty third. There's also the thirteenth through the sixteenth. So for you Jersey listeners, if you wanna get in on Princeton's ice hockey camp, it's getting sold out, so do not wait. There's a day camper fee, and then there's an overnight camper fee. If you've never been to Hobie Baker, by the way, it's an insane rink, and that's what they're going do this out of. So go check out. It's on Princeton's website, princensportscamps.com. Really, really Dominic did it a lot of years ago. We did it when coach Karamori, who ran the girls, the women's team, was running it. I want to say it was like was it 18 or 19? Dominic was little. He
Scott: was tiny.
Jamie: Yeah, he was probably like seven. And then COVID happened and they kind of shut it down for a couple of years. So it's back up and running now. I think last year it was at the Mercer Chiefs facility. I don't think it was on campus last year. But it's back on campus now at Hobie Baker. So the rink is insane. We're trying to support Princeton Ice Hockey, especially for those of you who live in Jersey. So go check it out. Like I said, it's July 13 through the '16 and July 20 through the twenty third. That's when Dominic and Otto are in. Day camper or overnight, again, we like to support local teams. Yeah. So we love Princeton.
Scott: Yes, sir. Yeah. And on that note, what do you think? You got anything else for this episode, sir?
Jamie: What do I got? Sorry. Congratulations to Hobart on a ridiculous season. They went 30
Scott: That's true.
Jamie: One and o. Dominic and I were there yesterday in Utica when they lost in the national championship game It's
Scott: probably your fault.
Jamie: In overtime. It's 100% my fault. They lost in overtime. So our buddy Alec Marsh, episode 33. Three? 33. That was nice. I was the assistant coach. We went up to see them play yesterday. We went up Saturday and stayed over. They had a hell of a season.
Scott: Yeah, they sure did. They won They won of the last four seasons.
Jamie: They won three national championships. They were trying to win four back to back to back to back. They came up one game short. Just one goal short. They were trying to be the second team in history to ever go undefeated.
Scott: Oh, no way.
Jamie: 31, and o. And they lost in the championship.
Scott: The hockey gods were not aligned. Overtime, It sucks.
Jamie: It totally sucked.
Scott: So close.
Jamie: Totally sucked. So, yeah. So congratulations to Hobart on a ridiculous season, on a ridiculous run. I mean.
Scott: Well, you should also congratulate the winners. No? Why not? It's an achievement.
Jamie: Because I'm a Hobart fan. I know. Yeah. Hamilton College beat them in overtime.
Scott: Yeah. Which is unfortunate for all the, yes, for all the Hobart fans out there. They're well done on the other team, Hamilton.
Jamie: Listen, they beat them. I'm not sure they were the better team, but they did beat them.
Scott: No, no. You know, when you sent me the picture, was like, shots on goal do not. I'm like, their goalie must have been standing on their head. On his head.
Jamie: You know, I have to tell you. Or no.
Scott: Not so much.
Jamie: You know, it's funny. I've seen Hobart play before. Like, Dominic and I have been to see them play. And they didn't look right. The first period, they were lighting it up. First period looked good. Hockey scored in the first period.
Scott: Did you say comfortable?
Jamie: Hockey Podcast scored in the first period pretty it wasn't long into the first period. They scored they really owned the first period. Shots were very lopsided in the first period. And then, like, Dominic and I, at the first intermission, we went to get like he got like a hot dog and I got like a pretzel and we're eating it. So I went to use the men's room right before the period started. And I heard the puck drop while I was in the bathroom, right? Dominic's in the hallway waiting for me. I heard the puck drop, fifteen seconds into period two, they score. Fifteen seconds. It was one one for the rest of the second period, for the rest of the third period into overtime. I think they scored with like three ish minutes left in the first overtime. And Hobart was rocking and rolling They were. In
Scott: Yeah, they had some good chances.
Jamie: Oh, dude. And then something happened and they came down in like a two on one ish. It's on our Instagram. I think already put it on our Instagram. And that kid, that goalie, Damon Beavers for Hobart, he's a rock
Scott: star.
Jamie: I think he won goalie of the year. Oh, the kid's a stud. Yeah. Yeah, man. But it just shows you, and I told Dominic this. And we see it in youth hockey all the time. You don't put people away and you let them hang around. Even if you're the better team on paper, things happen, man.
Scott: For sure they do.
Jamie: Pucks take weird bounces. They outshot them by a truckload.
Scott: Listen, we saw it in the Olympics too. We saw how I a team mean, so it just goes to show you
Jamie: A 100%.
Scott: Never say die.
Jamie: No. Keep playing hard.
Scott: Never quit. You never know what's going to happen.
Jamie: It's so true. It's so true. So congratulations to Hobart on a ridiculous season, on a ridiculous four years. They're like such a wagon over there in Geneva, New York. Just one game short, man. It's a bummer.
Scott: It's rough. Yeah. All right.
Jamie: Well It was cool experience.
Scott: Listen, I'm sure they're looking forward to next season already. I'm sure they'll be even though they didn't win it this year, they got to the finals.
Jamie: They'll reload and they'll keep doing the thing.
Scott: Yeah, yeah.
Jamie: That's an impressive program.
Scott: Yeah, no doubt. All right, good call to bring that up.
Jamie: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I wouldn't miss that. And good luck to any of our parents and their kids going to tryouts tomorrow or today, whenever they start where you are. If And it's tier two and your kids are older, it'd start next week, so good luck there, too. What else? Thank you for liking, sharing, subscribing, following. Are we at ten thousand yet? Boom.
Scott: 10,000.
Jamie: I just refreshed my screen. We just hit 10,000 followers on Instagram.
Scott: Amazing, dude. Well done.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. That's good stuff. So thank you to everybody for following us. We really appreciate. It's a pretty cool milestone. We got a lot of really cool things coming. Just hang with us.
Scott: Yeah. Keep listening. Keep sharing.
Jamie: It's an awesome ride. Appreciate it.
Scott: Mean, we're just getting started. Don't be strangers. Feel free to write in. We'd love to hear your thoughts and just grow the community.
Jamie: Scott and I try to respond to everybody. Try to. Getting a little more difficult these days, but try to. So if you have any questions, hit us up. And thank you so much for everything. Yep. Yeah.
Scott: All right, my man. Until the next episode.
Jamie: See you guys on 61.
Scott: 61. That's it.
Jamie: All right, buddy.
Scott: All right. Later. See you. Peace.