In this episode, Adam is talks to Tim Neutkens about what's new in Next.js 9.3 and how it's changing the way applications are built at ZEIT.
- An overview of the new getStaticProps, getStaticPaths, and getServerSideProps APIs
- How Next.js helps you serve static pages from an edge CDN automatically, without affecting the actual authoring experience
- Using getStaticPaths to statically pregenerate dynamic routes
- How the fallback feature of getStaticPaths works and lets you statically render pages on-demand to avoid long build times
- How the upcoming incremental static generation feature will work in Next.js
- Deploying Next.js to a platform other than Zeit, and how you retain all of Next’s benefits automatically
- How getServerSideProps is different from getInitialProps
- Why getServerSideProps actually improves performance, even though it introduces another hop
- How getServerSideProps results in smaller bundle sizes vs. getInitialProps
- Using getServerSideProps to safely talk directly to a database, skipping the need for an API
- Why Zeit as a company has started to favor client-side data fetching with SWR over getInitialProps/getServerSideProps, and how they are combining that with statically pregenerated “shells” for incredibly fast feeling experiences
- What’s coming next in future releases
- Next.js 9.3 Announcement
- Incremental Static Generation RFC
- Next.js Code Elimination Demo
- SWR, ZEIT's data fetching library
I decided to stop taking sponsors for the show because I think advertisements are annoying and no one wants to listen to them.
- Tailwind UI, a collection of professionally designed, fully responsive HTML components built with Tailwind CSS
- Refactoring UI, a book and video series I put together with Steve Schoger on designing beautiful user interfaces, without relying on a designer.
- Advanced Vue Component Design, a course on designing simpler, more flexible Vue components that are both more powerful and easier to maintain.
- Test-Driven Laravel, a massive video course on designing robust Laravel applications with TDD. Learn how to build a real-world application from scratch without writing a single line of untested code.
- Refactoring to Collections, a book and video course that teaches you how to apply functional programming principles to break down ugly, complex code into simple transformations — free of loops, complex conditionals, and temporary variables.
What is Full Stack Radio?
A podcast for developers interested in building great software products. Every episode, Adam Wathan is joined by a guest to talk about everything from product design and user experience to unit testing and system administration.