Speaker: Welcome to Honest Money. I'm your host, Anja, and today's episode is brought to you by hard block.
Anja: Thank you for crossing the border to come on the podcast. Wence. Thank you both in different, all the
Matthew: way from Byron Bay. We're both in different states for the recording. It's so funny. Yeah, yeah. How is Byron Bay?
Anja: I love it. I love it. I actually live in Lennox Head at the moment. Oh,
Matthew: do you?
Anja: Okay. Yeah. Lennox is amazing. I absolutely love it. It's like my little coastal village and I never want to go back to city life. I'm like addicted now. Where were
Matthew: you before this?
Anja: Sydney.
Matthew: Oh, big change.
Anja: Yeah, big change.
Matthew: Tell me about the work that you do. 'cause you were in between jobs, you said.
Anja: Yeah, so at the moment I'm just working like locally at a, at a local hotel. It's like my fiat job. I've literally went from being in the highest tax bracket to possibly. So you
Matthew: had a complete like flip,
Anja: like complete flip. Yeah. I really wanted a job that gives me flexibility to continue basically doing this. So it's, yeah, it's like,
Matthew: well, I just have to ask then, Anya, what was the, I know, uh, I just wanna know like you've gone from corporate Yeah. To something to happened with bitcoin. I'm just throwing something out. Maybe there was a relationship breakup. I needed it. I mean, I dunno, I find people have this thing in life that something happens, they steer some to a different way.
Anja: Yeah, I think it was a number of things. So COVID definitely was something that really impacted the way I think about things. And, you know, escaping like a war torn Yugoslavia. Um, where that's where I was born in Croatia and Okay. You know, my family's mixed Serbian and Croatian coming to Australia for a better life and more freedom, um, felt like the whole COVID era just was a regression on those individual freedoms. And that was kind of the first. A bit, I guess the first catalyst I decided to sell my investment property and the little apartment that I had and just wanted in
Matthew: Sydney,
Anja: uh, in Perth. So I'm originally from Perth. Okay. And yeah, decided to sell that because I just didn't wanna be anchored to anything.
Matthew: Mm-hmm.
Anja: Um, until I kind of figured out what I wanted to do. So I moved to Sydney. I, uh, got a really high paying job and was climbing the corporate ladder really fast. What, what's your
Matthew: specialty?
Anja: Uh, customer experience design and service design. Okay. So working for large organizations, essentially trying to create efficiencies and improvements across the board, but also improve that customer facing experience.
Matthew: Okay.
Anja: So I did that. I was in the corporate world and climbing the corporate ladder really fast. And yeah, I just realized that, you know, going up the corporate ladder doesn't necessarily lead to truth. It leads to political games and mm-hmm. And playing optics. And I was like, this kind of feels fake. And, and yeah. Then I discovered Bitcoin and, and essentially just, yeah, it was, it, it still shocks me to this day, just how much of like a core shaking, you know, experience it's been because I never exp expected so late in life, like in my late thirties to just change so much. Like, you get, you go through most so old Yeah. You go through most changes like in your younger years and, yeah. No,
Matthew: well, you, you. You're young
Anja: like, yeah,
Matthew: please. She's, she's saying, I'm, so, you know, in my later years, I'm, I'm late thirties
Anja: old at millennial,
Matthew: you don't even have a gray hair. I've got, I've got, I've got lots of gray hairs happening now.
Anja: I do. I color my hair, so Okay. At home, because I'm cheap now.
Matthew: Yeah, of course, of course. You wanna cut those costs down and stack more Bitcoin.
Anja: Exactly. No one's got time to sit in a, in a hair salon for three hours.
Matthew: No, they don't.
Anja: No,
Matthew: they don't. That's a, that's an interesting, really interesting story and, um, congrats to you for taking the plunge, really.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Because, um, uh, you mentioned before about, um, you know, being anchored and I've had this same epiphany, let's call it. Right. And I, and I sold all these investment properties, all these commercial properties. I had a, a, like a seven car collection thing happening.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: And it seemed like a dream.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Until, it wasn't a dream, until it was, I don't have time to deal with these cars actually, and they're actually taking up my time and energy. And I was like, okay, I've had them now.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Move them out more Bitcoin. Uh, and so that's what I did. So, and now I'm finding, I've coined the phrase dematerialize.
Anja: Yeah,
Matthew: you've heard that one. Yeah. Dematerialize things. Yeah, absolutely. Into Bitcoin.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: And so properties, cars, and then you start, obviously you start with the biggest things and then you merge it into, like, I've got, I've just got like stuff at home, right? Just stuff I've held for, you know, I've got storage set full of stuff. I don't need that stuff, for example.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: For those listening. Just BMX things. Like I used to have, I used to be A BMX racer, so I've got BMX vintage things.
Anja: Oh, that's so cute.
Matthew: And yeah. Right. They're worth a lot of money.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Yeah. And so I was just started selling off these things. Here's an, here's a good example. I've got a, uh, one of the members of my online community
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: He is 53, and he had this, he had $500,000 worth of car memorabilia. I'm talking vintage signs. Castrol oil cans. Yeah. He, he's, um, an incredible guy. He's a trekker. He has a business, but he loves trekking.
Anja: What's trekking
Matthew: like trekking through the wilderness.
Anja: Oh, right, right. Tracker. Hiking.
Matthew: Hiking.
Anja: Okay.
Matthew: Yeah. They call him Trekker. Okay. Right. And, uh, he does like the Kota track. He's like a guide on that and thing, right?
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: He was walking through the Himalayas or something. Exotic. Some guy mentions about Bitcoin. He's intrigued. He gets off the mountain. He gets handed a book, that's it. He's all in. It just was like this bang, wake up, he gets back to Australia, he finds my community, he connects with me. He's like, Matt, all this is going. So every now and then he posts up on our, on our group, just sold this Castro oil. Can $5,000 bought more Bitcoin, right? So as he just starts to dematerialize all these physical possessions that he just really doesn't need, he's gonna had them, what's he gonna do with them now? Right?
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: So this is part of your journey.
Anja: Absolutely. Absolutely. And, and like I, I sometimes think, could I go back? Um, because obviously there are benefits, like, you know, if I was earning more, I would be stacking more aggressively than I am at the moment, but. It's just my values have changed and I can't go back and I can't trade the lifestyle that I have now. Like, I get to see wildlife every day. I see dolphins, I see water dragons. I go walking for like two, three hours on the beach every day. I go to the gym at 10:00 AM I work, but a lot, you know, like I don't earn a lot of money, but I'm like probably the happiest I've ever been.
Matthew: Yeah.
Anja: And do I wanna trade that live in a dog box in Sydney and being the highest salary bracket and, you know, feel, feel
Matthew: like, and go to all the stress.
Anja: Yeah. Right. The political right of,
Matthew: of the latter you mentioned.
Anja: No, I, yeah. Nobody got time for that. So Bitcoin is a hell of a drug and you know, like my main strategy is now is just really like continuing the accumulation, particularly now that we're in a bear market and you know, buy, well it's cheap. Yeah. Um, and then just hold onto it like self custody. Mm-hmm. Really passionate about that. Mm-hmm. Um, that's something I strongly advocate on my podcast. But let me ask you a question 'cause you feel like this has. You know, an Anya show so far.
Matthew: Well, maybe. I know it's been an a Well, it's the AA show, right? However,
Anja: yeah.
Matthew: Maybe people don't know much about aa. Yeah, yeah,
Anja: yeah, they
Matthew: do. They know a bit more now.
Anja: Okay. They do. Yeah, they do. Thank you for, thank you for the introduction.
Matthew: Yeah. Who is aa? Yeah,
Anja: who? Who's aa? Um. But I'd love to know, one of the reasons that I started this podcast is a few reasons. So, one is to help de weird Bitcoin in Australia. We all know people who you know, are into Bitcoin and I have had some clients that are like boomers say, you know, I love Bitcoin. I wanna, you know, buy more Bitcoin to pass it on to my grandchildren and sell more investment properties that I've got. Turn that into Bitcoin, but I can't talk to any of my friends about it because they think I'm nuts. Mm-hmm. So I wanna help dewi that. And it's so satisfying because recently on LinkedIn, I've been shit posting on LinkedIn for about two years now. And in the beginning, everyone that I've worked with never liked any of my posts. Oh, okay. And I've had people reach out to me privately and say, um, you know, I've been in Bitcoin for a while, I really like it, but they're just really like hiding it. And recently I've had. Like my post. And I was like, you know, it's, it's starting to change. It's starting to change. And that's what I'm really, um, it's so satisfying sometimes, like the smallest metrics that you wouldn't think are important are so important to me. And that's kind of one of those metrics. Um, but I'm curious about you because the other, uh, thing I wanna do is we, in Australia, we have Twitter Bitcoiners and we have Instagram Bitcoiners, and I've interviewed some Instagram bitcoiners, like Adam Hudson. Mm-hmm. And now you and I wanna help merge the two worlds. Where are you in your like Bitcoin philosophy? Are you Bitcoin only?
Matthew: Great question.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Shout out to Adam Hudson.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Great guy. Um, so, uh, and he's, and just let me say this, Adam's actually played a, played a really strong, uh, impact in my life too. 'cause he was a mentor of mine
Anja: Oh,
Matthew: nice. During the Amazon days.
Anja: I didn't know this.
Matthew: Love this. Yeah. So, um, yeah. Great guy. Where do I sit? I've moved from, I think a lot of people go through this journey, Anya, which is, they get into crypto. Uh, I got some training years ago.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Spent $20,000 for a whole year of meeting with a guy to learn about Bitcoin and crypto before I just sort of just shoveling my money in and wasting it basically.
Anja: Yeah. I,
Matthew: I did that though. I wanna share this with people too. I did that because I'd spent 20 plus thousand dollars in Amazon training, which then paid off to do an Amazon business, which I created, which ultimately did $70 million in revenue Wow. In like a few years.
Anja: Nice.
Matthew: Completely changed my life.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: So paid off. So investing in yourself is worth it. Okay. So I can go and invest myself again through this, uh, crypto training. And they said at the time like, diversify. Like diversify, not diversify. Property shares in crypto, diversify within crypto. Mm-hmm. Yeah. But one thing they did say though, was go heavy Bitcoin. Yeah. So 80% Bitcoin something or other. So I did, I went to the heavy Bitcoin ethe, the standard stuff. Right. Sort of the top 10 alt coins. Um, some meme coins. Right. And you kind of, you're, you're gambling.
Speaker 5: Quick one for the Aussies listening hard block is offering a $10 signup discount right now. And if you're with another exchange, ask yourself this. Are they Australia's longest running Bitcoin only exchange? Because if not, maybe it's time to switch. Head to hard block.com au slash join slash Honest Money and start stacking stats today.
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: You don't really know what you're doing. Right. You, and you're sort of throwing money into like, oh, I hope at a hundred Xs. Ultimately what's happened over time is I've morphed out of alt coins, read more books about Bitcoin, understand bitcoin more, because it's not just the monetary aspect of Bitcoin, it's the philosophy of Bitcoin. And as you go down that Bitcoin rabbit hole, you are like, what's happened to you? Anya? Your life starts to change. You think differently. Then you start seeing things like through COVID. One of the big wake up calls for me was not just the fact that. Uh, I stood against the jab. I, none of my family got the jab.
Anja: Mm.
Matthew: I was in a position though at the time to reject it because I had a shit ton of money
Anja: Mm.
Matthew: In the bank.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: I didn't have to worry about crossing the border or I didn't give a shit about going to the pub.
Anja: Yeah,
Matthew: right. I was like, I'm not doing that shit. Right. You could see the writing was on the wall following, in that same context was the Canadian trucker saga where the banks froze people's accounts. I've never seen that before.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: I was like, wow, this is crazy.
Anja: I, I have, but that's the thing, like, you, people don't think that it's gonna happen like in, in countries like Canada and Australia, but it absolutely does. Like there's authoritarian overreach happening here all the time, and it's becoming more and more prominent and it's like, is this the Australia that I came to in 1997?
Matthew: It's not,
Anja: no.
Matthew: Massive wake up call.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: So then you start understanding about self custody of Bitcoin can't be seized, et cetera. Okay. And so that was, that was basically it. Let me add this though too, Anya is, people might be listening to this and thinking that was, that was years ago. Like that stopped. Now everything's good, right? We're going through the fuel crisis. Yeah. Whether it's fabricated or not, there's, the crisis is happening, so prices are definitely going up.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Whether we've got the fuel or not, the prices are up. Okay. And what's, and there's like a run at the moment on assets and people turning 'em into cash. So this is the time when people freak out and they wanna rotate out of maybe stock shares, property, crypto into cash. 'cause they kind of feel like that's the best thing to hold. Right. Uh, the bank of, uh, UBS in, in Europe has just frozen a property fund. Worth 400 plus million dollars. Yeah. For up to three years because there was a run on that fund. People wanted to take their money out. Sorry. You can't take the money out.
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: So this type of, it's not necessarily freezing your bank account, but it's freezing other investments that you can no longer do as you perhaps thought you could by just moving it around willy-nilly having a liquid asset. Yeah. Okay. Think about just recently too, where we had the, the, there was a big increase in gold value. Okay. And was fascinating to me, Anya, because I loved it, was the people that were queuing up down the street. Okay. Now I call those the sheeple. They were queuing up down the street. Yep. Not when, when, not when Gold was like, Hey, it's dirt cheap right now, guys come and get it. Like, nah, we don't want that gold. It's too cheap. And they went, okay, well look, how about we put the price up? We, we put it up to $4,000, whatever, right? Great. We're gonna, we wanna buy some now. So the people lining up down the street and the news comes out and films the door and it's interviewing people in the street and like, yeah, we are buying gold because, you know, we think it's a great asset, da da da. Right? And it's just a complete, like, it's a, it's like a bit of a joke now and unfortunately the same thing is now happening in Bitcoin. When Bitcoin was at one 26,000 and roughly late last year, everybody's buying the hype is there now. It's on like a, basically a 50% discount. And there's like ghosts now, right? And now is the time actually people should be, as I like to say, um, as I hear people say back up the truck to get more bitcoin.
Anja: I did see some Google data, Google Analytics data recently that in America and Australia, and I assume other countries too, um, the search term, how to buy Bitcoin has gone up nearly to 2017 levels, which is really strange considering we're in a bear market.
Matthew: Mm.
Anja: So, yeah, it'll be interesting to see, like I've, I've had a few people reach out to me as well. It's like they've been thinking about it for a while. They're like, so how do I get started?
Matthew: Yeah. Let me say this, Danya, what's interesting about Bitcoin is that, actually, let me tell this story. There's a guy that I know that's worth $500 million. Mm, okay. This is a good story. Has a truckload of properties. He's in his sixties and I spoke to him recently, an Australian guy, and he said, Matthew, my biggest mistake was not. Buying any Bitcoin. What did he buy? Anya? XRP.
Anja: Oh, no.
Matthew: Yes. He bought a lot of XRP.
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: Now maybe that's a hedge for people, right? I'm not, I'm not dissing XRP, but he wished he'd bought Bitcoin as well.
Anja: Mm-hmm.
Matthew: Okay. And the reason why he wanted to do that was because, um, he now realizes the portability of Bitcoin. He's got all anchoring, all these other investment properties and developments. I've been talking massive things, right?
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Are just anchoring him down in this country. So he wants to dematerialize those and put into Bitcoin so he can move his wealth around the globe. Now, the point of this story is that why would a $500 million person contact me to talk about Bitcoin? It's because it doesn't matter actually how many zeros are in your bank account, so to speak. Everyone's on the same journey of discovering Bitcoin. So whether you've got a hundred dollars net worth or you've got, uh, a million dollar net wealth. You still have to discover Bitcoin.
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: So when you talked about the inquiry rate might be up right now, what we've also seen is a lot of people who have a lot of money, yet they're not suffering from petrol prices issues. Okay. That's the, that's the beauty of having money.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: All these small things. Like honestly, if, if, if Bitcoin quadrupled today, I wouldn't even notice it. Right. It wouldn't affect me.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Affects a lot of other people. And so when you've got a lot of money, there's, you have bigger problems now. Mm. Not the little problems. Yeah. But you also have to go on this journey of discovering Bitcoin as well. Yeah. Because even the $500 million guy just can't go down to his bank manager at the moment and say, I want to allocate some of my portfolio to, to Bitcoin. He has to discover it himself. So the, the, the search term is up, perhaps, I would say, because a lot of wealthy people understand what Bitcoin is now. They're sort of catching on. And the adoption rate, I think I saw, uh. A chart only yesterday showing that the, those who have more net wealth, the whales are increasing their buying today.
Anja: Yeah, absolutely. Absolutely. And I love, I love this story. Um, I have heard that as well, that quite a lot of like high net worth individuals are taking an interest in Bitcoin, particularly in Australia. But it's interesting that you said that he, because he wanted to diversify, he diversified into XRP, whereas have you seen that, um, that chart that shows two circles and a lot of people think that crypto Bitcoin is part of crypto and Fiats on this side, but it's actually fiat and crypto are in the same circle. And Bitcoin is, is its own standalone thing. So if you wanna diversify, you don't wanna just diversify across asset classes, but across systems as well.
Matthew: Right. Which is interesting because you see a lot of people who are, and I've owned XRP before too.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Okay. And let me be transparent. Today I have probably 95 plus percent Bitcoin. I have six figures of Solana, which I just had for ages. Yeah. And it's done quite well. Yeah. I've sat on it. Um, and I also hold some Tesla shares and strategy shares.
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: That's it.
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: That's my whole portfolio done. Yep. Okay. Um, heavy, heavy Bitcoin.
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: But, uh, the XRP holders, what's interesting is they're all about, we hate the system, we wanna get out of it. Right. And then the same, the next sentence is, and this is going to be the new rails for the system. Yeah. Right. The new bra. We're gonna, we're gonna replace the swift rails and we're gonna put in the XRP rails, which are gonna, and we're gonna partner with the banks. And we love the banks. Yeah. And it was like, whatcha talking about,
Anja: are they intellectually confused or ideologically confused or both?
Matthew: I think it's, I look the great thing about XRP. It's got an incredible marketing team.
Anja: Yes.
Matthew: Okay. Like incredible.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: The amount of money that that goes into it is, is obscene and good on 'em. Right. Uh, Bitcoin doesn't have a marketing team. It's just the people like you and me who talk about it 'cause we believe in it, not because we're getting paid to talk about it.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: So to speak.
Anja: Sponsored by big Bitcoin. Yeah,
Matthew: yeah, yeah, yeah.
Anja: Yeah. I love that. So, um, I'd lost my train of thought. I was gonna ask you a really good question.
Matthew: That happens to me all the time and I go down a rabbit hole and then I go, oh, that's right. We should be talking about something else. And what we talking about again, because I just keep going down.
Anja: Let's talk about the fuel situation. 'cause I did actually just recently this hair.
Matthew: Yeah.
Anja: I did just recently, um, uh, listen to one of your podcasts and
Matthew: what was I saying?
Anja: Uh, or you're talking about the straight of MOUs? Um, oh yeah. Yep. And, and just like the whole situation giving like different potential scenarios like two to three months from now. If these things don't, uh, get sorted out, how that might look like, um, in Australia. What, what do you think this situation is? 'cause I know you also listen to Simon Dixon.
Matthew: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Sort of listening to what Simon, I like to listen to a range of different voices. Yeah. Simon Dixon I've found to be super fascinating. Um, he's obviously done very well in the Bitcoin space. He's super sort of locked into sort of the behind the scenes of banking. 'cause he, he actually tried to get his own bank up and running. Yeah. You know that. Yeah. So I think what's gonna happen in Australia though is that, uh, if the strait is not open and we don't start seeing a com, a consistent flow of oil and the oil price comes down, then the, obviously petrol will stay at a high price, probably will go higher. That will then flow through to everything starting with, I mean, you even see the reports recently. The cafes wanna put their coffee up by 30 cents or whatever, right? I mean, yeah. Hang on a second. But, um, I understand they're gonna put the prices up, but why does the cafes, everybody's gonna have to put their price up.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Which ultimately means that you're gonna then see, like what we saw recently on the, a bbc, ABC's out there, we need more money. Right? Not because of fuel prices, is they They do, but everybody's gonna be on strike then because we need more money because we don't have enough fiat dollars to pay for the inflation now of all the, all the goods, right? Mm-hmm. But it's a never ending cycle. Just when you think they've, like, you think, um, someone protests, they get the pay, think great, they're done. Now they've got their power. No. 'cause then a year later they're back. Because the why, you know this because the monetary system is broken.
Anja: Yeah,
Matthew: yeah. Inflation just keeps pushing up. You got inflation and currency, the basement, now the money. So go back to the fuel prices. People will then start requiring a pay rise. The government will have to step in because. People can't afford anything. So then there'll be these handouts. Right. Much, probably, probably much like we saw through COVID. Yep. The, the, you know, it'd be the fuel crisis handout, boom, boom, boom, boom. Everyone gets some money and of course it'll go to the middle class and, uh, probably the lower end of the middle class. And also the poor people, if I can put it that way. Yeah, yeah. Those who are just completely broke on fixed incomes. Then what will happen is the bank will put the rates up
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: To try and curb the inflation. So then all the people with mortgage is gonna be completely wrecked. Yeah. Who knows? Go up. We may see rates go, I'm, I, look, I'm, I'm speculating here, but have a look at your budget because if it goes up two, 3%, it could put a lot of people over the edge. Yeah. 'cause they were already squeezed before the petrol prices. There was, remember that we had a cost of living crisis. Mm-hmm. It was all people spoke about.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: And now they've like, made that even worse.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Okay. So the rates will go up and then people will lose their jobs. And then it'll go into this other cycle. Then we'll go into recession.
Anja: Mm.
Matthew: And then the government's gonna have step in and like actually like print way more money. Even more than the handouts.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: And then hard assets will go through the roof and then you'll see Bitcoin go through the roof. And no doubt, property will probably also go through the roof too, because of also you've seen, um, the cost of producing a property goes up. Yeah. The plumbing supplies. Supplies just came out recently and said all of our plumbing supplies are gonna go up 30%.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Wow. So it's just never ending cycle of, um, inflation wage increases, which then is more inflation, which is then more currency debasement. And we just go through these cycles again and again. Again. And the only thing people need to realize is that they needed to have a hard asset like bitcoin. To put their savings into which they cannot be debased.
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: That's pretty much it.
Anja: That's it.
Matthew: Now, here's the problem. Mana is most people don't have much money because it's being taken away by the inflation.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: But what I talk about all the time, and I'm gonna, I'm gonna divvy into SM SFS now. Mm-hmm. Okay. Most people have some sort of superannuation. Mm-hmm. The sad part is, is that is also being wrecked. Okay. The average superannuation fund over the past 20 years does about seven to 8%. Okay. The hurdle rate in Australia would be round 14, let's say 15%.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: The hurdle rate is what you've gotta achieve after inflation and currency debasement.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: So when people listening to this, they're like, yeah, but I get 8%. I, I had someone the other day say to me he was, that was good.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: I was like, dude, you need to wake up. Okay. You're going backwards.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Okay. So if people aren't keeping up with the hurdle rate, their savings, retirement savings in a superannuation fund is not keeping up with the inflation.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: And the currency debasement.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: So what can they do? They can take that, those funds outta their superannuation account, rotate that into a self-managed super fund and allocate to Bitcoin. Why would they do that? Anya? Because Bitcoin right now is, has a cagr, a compounding annual growth rate of at least 30, 40% annual and is likely to see that over the next 20 years. As Michael Sayler says, it's the gold rush period for Bitcoin. His CAGR forecast is 30 to 60% over the next 20 years, and then after 20 years, he thinks it'll settle down to about 21%. You can isolate that down into even smaller timeframes. Kathy Wood Arc invest, her price prediction is a CAGR of 63% over the next five years. So basically a 10 x between now and 20 30, 20 32, let's say. Yeah. Right. Absolutely. Crushes the existing establishment of superannuation.
Anja: Mm-hmm.
Matthew: Here's the next problem with superannuation. The government, the Labor Party of Australia wants to raid it. Okay. Now, I don't wanna be hyperbolic here. It doesn't mean they're gonna come into the, to your, your account and just take the money. Yeah. Okay. That's what I'm, even though I think the legislation is they actually could through war situations or crises, but what I'm talking about is they're in cahoots with the big industry super funds.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Okay. Think of this. Wayne Swan was the former treasurer of Australia. Jim Chalmers and him are good mates. Okay. Wayne Swan is now head of, of, uh, Cbus. Super.
Anja: Okay.
Matthew: The Labor Party want these big superannuation companies to invest the money into labor PET projects such as social housing and gr um, and flawed green energy projects.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Okay. They're not interested in what is gonna be the best return. I spoke to a gentleman yesterday who I had a, uh, a Bitcoin meeting with, let's call that he's in the construction industry, and he used to work for a unionized workforce. Okay. He said The construction is so corrupt. The amount of money that goes into these things is completely ballooned out. It's taxpayer's money funneled through by essentially the Labor party to their mates in the C-F-M-E-U. We already know about the $15 billion that got wasted in Victoria. Where's that money gone? We don't know. Into bikey gangs and, and hookers and drugs, no doubt. Allegedly. And, and so there's huge amounts of waste in these types of construction deals, right? So my point is that if your superannuation funds are being invested in these types of deal types of deals, do you think you're gonna get the best return on investment for your retirement funds? No, you're not. Okay. And so that's why two reasons now why people need to move out of a traditional super fund into SMSF to get it away from government control and to allocate to the best performing asset. That has ever been and is expected to be until the next 20 years plus. Yeah. Okay. Probably 30, 40, et cetera. Now, a lot of people I speak to say we wanna get out of government control, this, that, and the other. We want sovereignty and everything. Great. Get Bitcoin then. But they get paralyzed, aren't you?
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: They're paralyzed with fear of, Ooh, go and read a fricking book.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Go and understand what Bitcoin is before you do it. Right. The other thing that people should know is that they don't have to allocate their entire life savings in a super fund to Bitcoin. Don't do that. Move your funds from superannuation into an SMSF. Let's say you've got 200,000.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: You could put a hundred thousand dollars into Bitcoin and $50,000 into Tesla shares and 50,000 into the s and p 500.
Anja: Exactly.
Matthew: If you wanted to Yeah. You could diversify it. At least it's away from government control. Yeah, yeah. To from them rating it and you've now you've allocated at least something. To Bitcoin, the best performing asset.
Anja: Yeah, absolutely. I, I did, um, uh, move my, uh, super into Bitcoin like a hundred percent in Oh,
Matthew: you did?
Anja: Yeah, yeah, yeah. And, and Awesome. Yeah. Um, did it like now in two, towards the end of 2014. So went up and then went down. But like I, I are
Matthew: yous you moved your super into an SMSF
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: In 2014?
Anja: No. Oh my god. 2024. Okay. I wish
Matthew: Anya
Anja: No. So you're
Matthew: ahead of the game.
Anja: No, no. My numbers, yeah. I keep doing this. 2024. I've, I've said this on a different podcast as well. It was something to do with talking on LinkedIn about Bitcoin. Definitely not 2014. Okay, so 2024. Perfect.
Matthew: It, it still good.
Anja: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. So it went up and then it went down. But I know it's going back up. So yeah, it's, it's, um, the best thing I've ever done. I'm so glad I did this and, and yeah, quite a few of my friends, um, have, have done it. And I think the process is now getting a little bit harder as well. I know that when I was trying to move it out of Australian super, I had to liquidate all of the positions and turn it into cash to move, make it easier to move across. Um, so, but then, yeah, they, they kept dragging their feet and moving the goalpost in terms of what was needed.
Matthew: Yes.
Anja: So they said like, you need this, this, and this, and I prepared that documentation. Then they needed a certain way, and then they wanted it like signed by. A
Matthew: JP or
Anja: something. Yeah, yeah, yeah. And, but I went to the post office and the stamp that the Australian Post Office uses nationally wasn't good enough for them because it was missing the employee name, and it was like I had to go back to the post office, found the same lady. She goes, okay, like, I'll just write my name.
Matthew: Yeah.
Anja: Like it was just, it was just, yeah. I'm
Matthew: gonna say something very controversial, aren't you? Yeah.
Anja: Go for it.
Matthew: The Australian superannuation system is completely corrupt.
Anja: It really is.
Matthew: They do not care about your retirement savings.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Case in point is when you try and get your funds out legally, right, they put in so many roadblocks. The first thing is you send through your rollover form. What Rollover Forward doesn't seem to have come through. We've missing that. Then you send it again. Oh, you didn't dot the dot the I and didn't cross the T and then I've been through this. It's a freaking nightmare. Now what people need to do, like for example, I have an SMSF team that I work with. This is all they do all day, every day, SM SFS people, they will also step in and contact these superannuation companies and read in the Right Act because they, my team knows the law.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Okay. It's, it's really disgraceful. They do it intentionally so that you give up. You've gotta be on the phone. Right. I've, when I was going through years ago, I had to put in complaints or, or like the line. Yeah. You know, I was like, I wanna speak to the CEOI
Anja: was calling them every single day.
Matthew: Yeah.
Anja: Half an hour look every single day to Australian Super. And I would get it escalated to the, I think, customer relationship team. And, you know, they kept promising it's gonna come tomorrow and it was just delayed. And then I put in a complaint with afca and that's when they sort of started moving things a little bit further. But the first, they basically self assessed themselves and not having done anything wrong. Um, even though they, of course, yeah, yeah, yeah. Even though the case was
Matthew: like, we looked at ourselves and we everything was a green tick.
Anja: Yeah, yeah, exactly. And it was like, they said 10 business days and it was past that point. But anyway, like I just couldn't be bothered with it. By, by then, um, I was glad to move my money out. And then the second hurdle was trying to get my money out of. A NZ into the exchange. Again, daily, half an hour phone calls with the bank to move my own money. So,
Matthew: okay. Let's talk about that for a second. Yeah. Just for people listening like, oh my God, this is gonna be a nightmare. If you use an SMSF team like mine, they'll make the process simple. However, let's say that people want to, do, people try and skip on on fees. Um, I'm gonna set up my SMSF myself. Do not do that. You'll stuff it up. Okay. And the penalties are quite large. Yeah. If you don't do the right things by the a TO. Okay. So you wanna do everything Correct. And what, what People are gonna find those, once they've done the rollover that, and people sort of don't really get it. The money's gonna go from your superannuation account into a bank account. Yeah. And it's labeled SMSF Anya's account. From there, they'll have the control as to how I'm gonna put some into. Bitcoin now into a exchange to buy Bitcoin or I'm gonna buy some shares or whatever. Right. They could just leave it sitting in the bank if they wanted to.
Anja: Mm-hmm.
Matthew: If they're moving it into a crypto exchange, nine times outta 10, there's gonna be a block. Okay. So expect it.
Anja: Mm-hmm.
Matthew: Expect that you're gonna have to be on the phone for up to an hour being grilled as to what you are doing. Just note, moving your money to an exchange is not illegal. Okay. It's completely legal. The banks don't have any Right to stop the transaction and be honest with the bank. Don't make up anything. Yeah. Because that's where you're gonna get stuck. So one, you're not doing anything illegal. Tell them, yes, I'm moving this to X, Y, Z crypto exchange. I'm gonna be buying Bitcoin. Cool. Yeah, it's so legal. The a TO even designates it as an asset that it's gonna be taxed. Mm-hmm. Okay. That's how legal it is. A and P Super also bought $27 million side note.
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: In, uh, December 24 or something. Right. They allocated
Anja: 50 million into Bitcoin futures.
Matthew: Yeah.
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: There you go. Right. So if it's good enough for a and p, it's good enough for everybody else. So just be aware that they have to do that. Um, and once you've gone through probably two maybe blocks mm-hmm. It's probably gonna be smooth sailing.
Speaker 2: Not your keys, not your coins. If you're holding Bitcoin, your self custody setup needs to be done right. Mine racks delivers paranoia grade security so that you can sleep at night knowing that your money is protected. Take control and secure your money the honest way. Head to mine racks.com/honest Money.
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: I don't wanna trash a NZ as much as I'm not a fan of banks, however.
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: They've been actually pretty good to me. I went through two blockages.
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: After that, I've been able to move six figures at a time into an exchange. No problems instantly.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Okay.
Anja: Some banks are worse than others. Um, H-H-S-B-C, they do not allow transfers to, to crypto Bitcoin exchanges at all. Uh, the Commonwealth Bank has a 10,000 a
Matthew: month
Anja: limit a month. Mm-hmm. Which is so frustrating because, you know, I, I, I know people like that Boomer that I mentioned earlier on, um, he's, you know, he's probably been a, a customer of Commonwealth Bank for 30 years and good standing. Never, you know,
Matthew: it, it doesn't matter. Yeah. People make this mistake.
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: I've been with, with Westpac for, for 25 years. They know me there. Yeah. They don't give a shit Okay. About you and where you are sending the money. Okay. People always made that mistake. Um. What I also suggest to some people is if you have all your banking with CommBank, for example, it would be wise to open up an account, for example, with a NZ for your crypto transactions so that you don't get flagged anything in your everyday banking. So it's easy to set up one other account outside your existing framework, and if that account gets blocked, I'm like, okay, no problem. I've had a, um, someone I know was with, uh, Westpac, they shut down every account mm-hmm. For a week, every account. Mm-hmm. She had to go into the branch begging to get them to open it up again. It was a joke.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Right. So I would not go to Westpac for that. So they probably don't, don't wanna do it anyway.
Anja: Yeah. I I, I generally try to avoid the big four and even Macquarie has gone full draconian rate, uh, lately as well. Like you used, they used to be good, but,
Matthew: and yeah, no, you're right. I used to have my SMSF with Macquarie. Yeah. And, and it was fine until it wasn't fine.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: So you're gonna have to have all these things. This is why I say to people, the. The window is closing.
Anja: Mm.
Matthew: Okay. So if you are sitting on the sidelines right now, one day I am gonna do it. I'm gonna set up my SMSF, I'm gonna buy some Bitcoin. Six months from now. It could be over. Yeah. Like the, the rails could be just closed down or it's much more difficult.
Anja: It is because the Australian Taxation Office has also recently come out that it takes them up to like 56 days or something to do the, like, to review the application for their SMSF. So what used to take maybe a few weeks? Not Oh, really? Okay.
Matthew: No.
Anja: If, I think if you do it yourself, maybe
Matthew: it might, that might be the case. That's why I always say don't do it yourself. Yeah. Use a professional SMSF team. Yeah. So my team, for example, can get it done within five days.
Anja: Nice.
Matthew: The whole thing. A BN trust deed all done. Yeah. Ready to allocate to Bitcoin and whatever other asset you want. Um, so yeah, don't, don't skip on those types of things.
Anja: Mm-hmm.
Matthew: Um, Anya.
Anja: I wanted to ask you on the SMSF, do you have like an opinion or a recommendation or maybe, I guess it depends on the individual, but whether to do an individual trustee or a corporate trustee when doing
Matthew: SI don't have an opinion on that. It's really, it's on a case by case.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Um, it's not, it's kinda like a secondary thing though. Right. The fun thing that people need to do is, in my humble opinion, is allocate to Bitcoin. Yeah. Most people I speak to though, who come to me to get a, the SMSF set up, I'm not talking to 'em about Bitcoin. They're just like, Hey, look, we've got Bitcoin or we know we need to get Bitcoin.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Just get us set up with this SMSF. I'm not convincing 'em about the, the fortitude of Bitcoin.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Right. What people have also realized though, is that they don't have enough money when it comes to their retirement. So most people I speak to forties, fifties, and sometimes in their sixties, so as an example, Anya, the association of superannuation. Funds Australia, they have a webpage that says, this is how much money you are going to need in retirement. Mm-hmm. So here's some facts for you
Anja: that triggers me. Go, go on,
Matthew: go through it, because I have an opinion. It's, it's disappointing. If you are 40, let's say you're, yeah. 40-year-old.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Today you need $168,000 in your super fund to give you what they consider a comfortable, not amazing.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Right. Comfortable. There's three layers. There's like basically poor, modest, and comfortable, um, by the time you get to 60. Okay. And you would have to have by ultimately there in the sort of 1.1 $1.3 million mark in 20 years. Okay. Which is gonna be like nothing. In fact, it's gonna be the equivalent today of retiring with about 730 K as a couple. 600 k roughly as a single person.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: So people listening to this just think, hey, if I was 60 today and I just stopped working, would $730,000 with my partner? And let's say you paid off, you'd had you had you owned your house. Would that be enough?
Anja: No.
Matthew: To last you, you're also living longer now.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: You could live until you're 95. That's 35 years extra of living. And you think you're gonna just live on six, 700 grand.
Anja: It's, it's criminal that, that's even recommended. Like
Matthew: it's not recommended. Well they,
Anja: the guidelines kind of thing.
Matthew: It's the guidelines, but they say like, it's basically like this onya, that's enough for you.
Anja: Mm-hmm.
Matthew: It's that kind of treatment. Yeah. Like that. You don't need any more than that. 'cause you live a comfortable lifestyle. Yeah. Turn off
Anja: you're heating.
Matthew: Yeah. Yeah. Like keep it low. Right.
Anja: Don't meet, eat meat every day.
Matthew: Yeah. Yeah. So it's fif it's 1500 bucks a week that you would have to live on. Um, now what's interesting is I always ask people, I do these webinars, I train people about this stuff. And I always ask them, how many today, sitting here today, you're thinking about retirement. How many overseas holidays do you envisage that you would want to have?
Anja: Mm.
Matthew: Okay. 'cause most people want a holiday when they retire.
Anja: At least one a year. Yeah.
Matthew: One a year comes up. Yep. Some people say four a year.
Anja: Yep. Everyone's different. Right. So, yep.
Matthew: The association says, based on your comfortable retirement, you will, you'll be able to afford one overseas holiday
Anja: to barley
Matthew: every seven years.
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: Every seven years, aren't you?
Anja: That's, that's, yeah.
Matthew: That's what you'll get and you will be able to afford some utilities.
Anja: Mm-hmm.
Matthew: You might get some private health insurance.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: If you are in the minimal to no soup and I mean minimal under maybe under a hundred thousand to no super, you are gonna be on the old age pension. That is the fact.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: You'll be on $888 a week. Right. As a couple, no. Overseas holidays, they actually document this down occasional trip to the cinema.
Anja: Oh, wow.
Matthew: Yeah. Occasional, occasional. Not, not weekly.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: No. Uh, basically no. He, you have to do self haircuts, no health insurance, and you will not be able to afford, uh, he heating and cooling.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: That is the life. And now when I say this to people, it's like a, it's like a, like a really hits 'em in the face. That's the reality. And I tell this to people though, so they wake up and do something about it. Okay. Rather than just coasting on in life. 'cause that's what most people do. And they wake up at 16 and they go, oh shit, we didn't have enough. Super. How did that happen?
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Yeah. So it's a sad story. Now if they're sitting in, let, let's do some other numbers though.
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: Let's just say. Let's use, I use Jack. Okay. He's a single guy. He's a single couple, doesn't matter. But he's retired at 60. Okay. He's got $2 million in his SMSF with Bitcoin.
Anja: Mm.
Matthew: He can now pull out, he can actually rotate that from his accumulation bucket to a pension phase bucket. Mm-hmm. And he can pull the full $2 million out if he wanted to. He is still in Bitcoin. That's a tax free event. Okay. He could sell off two, uh, $200,000 of Bitcoin. Let's just say he's not gonna hold it. He's gonna sell it. And he could use that $200,000 in that whole year to live off. It's about 16, $17,000 a month.
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: Tax free. The sale is tax, uh, tax free. No capital gains tax in the pension phase. Okay. He could do that every single year. Selling off 200. Yeah. For it was like ever, and in fact, in 30 years time, it might even be 20 years time, he would have over $200 million of value of Bitcoin because he might sell off 200 of his 2 million. But the other 1.8 million is still compounding. And and that's just based on a CAGR of 30%? Yeah. Not, not 60%. Not a hundred percent. Just a very modest 30% cagr. Yeah. Right. If he, if you switch that on and put that $2 million into your standard super fund, look, $2 million at retirement today would be good. Yeah, he would. And he pulled out 200 though every single year he would run out. Within, under 20 years he'd have zero. You see? So the other way he actually builds well still.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: And so the other thing that people often say to me is we want to create. Legacy or we wanna leave a legacy for our children and our grandchildren.
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: Under that scenario, it's zero. The superannuation scenario, under the allocating to Bitcoin scenario, there was gonna be 200 million plus when he basically passes away, thereabouts, leaving something to his children. Now, if you don't wanna leave to your children, fine, leave it to the dog pound or something, right? Mm-hmm. Create a, a dog shelter, leave it in your name forever. In perpetuity.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Right. And so this is the power of, of Bitcoin and also in retirement.
Anja: Mm-hmm.
Matthew: Yeah.
Anja: A lot. You just go, um, but let's talk about tax a little bit because that's another, another slippery slope to go down, do you think? Um, obviously.
Matthew: The
Anja: taxes
Matthew: in Australia criminal. Start with
Anja: that. Yeah. Yes. Yeah, that's, that's exactly where I was going. Like, we are one of the highest tax nations in the world, and a lot of Australians believe that we actually need to get taxed even more. Um, but yeah. Yeah. Uh, it, it's really unfortunate because obviously we know the government is not spending money responsibly, they're not incentivized to do so, and they're continuously looking at new ways and innovative ways to tax the population more while conveniently ignoring the gas industry. But
Matthew: yes. Yeah.
Anja: That little chestnut, so, you know, well,
Matthew: it's not even that Anya. Yeah. It's not even just the gas industry and the, let's call it the mining industry. Yeah. Right. We, we are a, a resource rich nation.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Um, I would
Anja: That is poor.
Matthew: That is poor. I, I would be in favor of reversing that to. You know, we own everything. The people of Australia, the citizens own the natural resources and we benefit from the resources. Okay. As a country. Yeah. And, and a people like we're actually given a dividend. Yeah. Instead, it's the other way around. It's that they're taxing people on their labor and then their investments. And the only reason why people have to do investments is because they're not cutting it with the labor. Yeah. They're not making enough to make ends meet, so they've gotta go out on what they call the risk curve and turn the money into other assets so that they grow. Mm-hmm. Okay. Now let's talk about taxes for a second, because I absolutely despise it and be, and I think because the more money you make, the more tax you pay. Yeah. I've, I've been a PO in a position where I've had to write a seven figure check in a single year. To the tax office.
Anja: Oh man,
Matthew: it was,
Anja: I'm sorry.
Matthew: Yeah, it's horrible. Now look, I, I see the funny side of it as well.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: I will say this though too. When I was super poor and broke
Anja: Mm,
Matthew: I dreamed of the day of being able to pay tax.
Anja: Yeah, yeah. Because I
Matthew: wanna pay tax.
Anja: It's a good problem to
Matthew: have. It's a good problem to have. Okay. Now that said, um, there is no incentive, like for example, right now, they could just say for people who wanna do a second or third job, whatever, um, no tax, or let's just not tax you 50%. 'cause that's what it is right now. You get the highest tax rate on your second, third jobs. Yeah. Why is that? It's ridiculous, right? Yeah. Even for things like, um, you know, over time or, and penalties, it's just crazy. So what I would say is this too. Go, going back to super, the Labor Party.
Anja: I know where you're going.
Matthew: Okay. They, and this, I went ballistic over this and this kind of incentivized me to look outside of Australia. 'cause if they impose this, and I, and I'm, I'll get to that, what I think is gonna happen. I
Anja: think that would be a trigger for most. Yeah.
Matthew: I'm talking about unrealized capital gains tax. Yeah. And now for some of you who don't know on your nose, it's tax on earnings that you haven't had yet. Okay. So imagine you've put a house, an investment property. It's valued today at 500,000. It goes up in a year by 20%. So it goes up to $600,000.
Anja: Mm-hmm.
Matthew: According to labor. And the greens, they love this shit. They wanna, they wanna say to you, we want you to give us some of that money of the increase of the property. Yeah.
Anja: Lemme just sell my house through pay my tax bill.
Matthew: Obviously you can't do that. I mean, you can sell it, but you can't just peel off $20,000 of house and just give it to the tax office. Okay. And what happens in those situations? You would have to sell the house. You either come up with it from your own back pocket. Yeah. There's money sitting in the bank, or you have to now sell the asset to pay the tax. Isn't that just insane?
Anja: It's criminal. It's criminal. You're taxed. When you earn, you're taxed. When you sell, you're taxed. When you buy. You, you know you're taxed when you invest. You basically tax to death. And like this sets a dangerous precedent because they're trying to now tax you on things that haven't even been profit, that hasn't even been realized.
Matthew: Haven't, yeah, haven't been realized or come to fruition. There's one thing to say that you know your house is worth $600,000 on paper. You gotta sell it. You might not only, you might sell for 500, the market might have changed or whatever. And so if you think about this from a superannuation point of view, what they were gonna do was, as your super goes up in value, they were gonna take more of it. They're gonna take more of it. They already do take, uh, 15% tax on earnings in superannuation. Okay? So that's, and I just, there's lots of different brackets, but that's up to 3 million, right? So while you're saving in super up to 3 million, 15% tax on earnings, so things like dividends, interest. 15% tax if you sold assets while in your accumulation phase.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: 15% capital gains tax for under 12 months. 10% for over 12 months held. Right. So it's still, people say, yeah, but you get a tax discount. It's cheap. Yeah. It it, and it is cheaper than holding it in a, in a, your personal name.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Okay. But I would argue that why should we be taxed on money that is for our retirement. Let's just get rid of that. Let's incentivize people actually to put money aside for their retirement rather than them being a potential burden on the state. We don't want that. Yeah. Who wants to be beholden to the government for a hand handout? And unfortunately people under the old age pension will have to end up doing that. So this sparked me to now look outside of Australia, if they were gonna bring this unrealized capital gains tax in, I was like, I'd, I'd started Visa agent and I'd gone down the whole path of moving to Dubai, perhaps. Right. Maybe not now, but looking at an escape plan, I'm still doing an escape plan.
Anja: Plan B
Matthew: because Anya people can be like, well, we don't have the unrealized capital gains tax yet. We don't have it yet. Let me go back. 2019, uh, bill Shorten was the federal opposition leader for labor. He was running against Scott Morrison. His proposal at the time was to bring in, uh, get rid of, um, the capital gains tax discount, remove that on properties, and also negative gearing.
Anja: Mm-hmm.
Matthew: Okay. He took it to the election and people were like, absolutely not. We don't wanna have to pay more taxes again. Okay. So he lost, what are they talking about now, only seven years later?
Anja: Mm.
Matthew: It's being, it's floated again. So what we're expecting in the budget that's going to be delivered in the next couple of months will be changes to capital gains tax on properties and also negative gearing. Negative gearing though, is a fundamental shift in the sort of the laws of accounting and investing, which is you can write off your expenses on a, on a, on a, on an asset. Yeah. Or an investment. So they're gonna single out now, just property. Now I know there's a whole nother argument as opposed to, uh, to do with should property even be an investment or is it a Right. Okay. I understand that. Um, but I will also argue though, that Australia has fundamentally been a property country. And if you don't have to live in the property, right? If someone wants to buy property to rent out for an income, fine. That's, that's their choice.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: If you don't wanna live there, don't live there. The fact that we've got a, we're going down another rabbit hole, but a shortage of property in Australia is not to do with the investor, it's to do with government policy and incentivizations, et cetera, et cetera. Right. It's, it's a pure government policy problem. And of course, immigration, et cetera. So I think, um, getting rid of, so what I'm saying too is now the unrealized capital gains tax has been squashed.
Anja: Mm-hmm.
Matthew: It could come back.
Anja: Oh,
Matthew: we will, we could be taught if labor stay in government and in power with the greens. I'm gonna say this to Gani 'cause I don't care. These people are radical. Okay. They want to steal your money. You live in a beautiful part of the world. Am I allowed to say it's, it's in the northern rivers? Yes. Uh, Byron area. Byron is ravaged of people. They've got one of the highest green votes in the country.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: I don't know if they really understand what they're voting for. I think for, for a lot of these people, it's, yeah, but they wanna save the whales.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Okay. It's not that they're communists, they want a communist society. Yeah. And I just don't agree with it at all. Okay. So. That's what I would say. Be careful of what's gonna be coming down the pipeline because they could be bringing you back unrealized, couple gains tax. Um, I think it's the Netherlands now are floating that idea too on Yeah. Assets. And my biggest fear is that if they get it through on retirement savings of all things. Yeah. Right. It'll be okay. It's now on property. It's now on just company profits. Mm-hmm. The list will go on. Yeah. And it will absolutely crush this country economically. It's already on its knees.
Anja: Yeah, absolutely. And, and yeah, that's what concerns me as well. Like if you look at the taxation history in Australia for the last hundred years, you can definitely see a very clear trend that it always is promised to be temporary. It's always promised to be low, and that's just never the case. So these ideas are sometimes floated around and the first time they're unpopular, the second time they're unpopular and then the third time they get through.
Matthew: Mm-hmm.
Anja: So I, I absolutely do think, you know, Australia is headed, at least where we are at the moment. The current climate, we are headed towards citizenship tax as well. Like, you know. Yes. So in the case, you know, someone does go to Dubai, um, I think France has done that if I'm
Matthew: America has that.
Anja: Yeah, yeah,
Matthew: yeah. So you wanna explain that for people or should I
Anja: You you do it
Matthew: citizen citizenship tax is global tax.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: And no matter what you earn anywhere in the world, you have to repatriate. Tax to your citizen-based country. So in America, what a lot of people do is if they're moving out of America, they relinquish their citizenship of the us
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: So therefore they'd have to send money back to the US under their taxes. I I do think that will happen at some point in Australia as well.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Which will be horrible. You, you would just have to give up your citizenship of Australia to avoid that tax.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: There's already, let's just talk about that for a second, because people think that I'm just gonna move to Bali and then I won't have to pay any tax in Australia. Mm-hmm. Okay. It doesn't work that way.
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: I've investigated this a lot. I've been down these paths. Right. So what people have consider is that they have to become a, um, a tax resident of another country first, prove that they're a tax resident through, um, a lease, a gym membership, et cetera. Remove all ties to Australia. So you can't just say, well, I've still got bank accounts and properties and stuff, but I just don't wanna pay tax. No, you have to sort of sever it.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: And then you don't have to pay any more tax in Australia. You can't just move over to Bali for like six months and say, well, I'm not there in Australia, so why should I pay tax in Australia? Yep. It still follows you.
Speaker 4: Need a way to sign, verify and secure your Bitcoin Australia's one-stop shop for Bitcoiners. Has you covered from signing devices, nodes, and backup solutions? To bid access day decor and apparel, visit shop bitcoin.com au.
Anja: Yep. And they're making it harder as well to leave, because I think prior to recently was two years that you had to live abroad, sever your ties with Australia. So no family, no investments, no properties, no bank accounts here now. I think it's gone up to three years.
Matthew: I haven't heard that one.
Anja: Okay. Yeah.
Matthew: Um, but there is a, there's some talk about changing it so that if you come back to Australia, right. So at the moment it's about 180 days you can stay in Australia.
Anja: 2 83. Yeah.
Matthew: Yeah. And they wanna change it to about a month.
Anja: Yeah. 45 days or something.
Matthew: Yeah. Yeah. Next to nothing. Yeah. Right. You stay longer than that, you're now, oh, you're a tax resident again.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: So, um, it's pretty bad and. People need, I guess it'll just get, keep getting worse. A lot of people I speak to, they say, look, I wanna move to x, y, z country and stuff like that. But they're just not prepared to pay the fee. Like it, it costs money to do that. Yeah. Okay. So they're trapped. Then second problem they've got is that unlike probably yourself and and myself, if you have an online business that generates income, I can be in anywhere in the world. Okay. So if you're like a, um, problem is like if you're a laborer, like you could move that your trade anywhere. Um, but the problem is that you're in another country, you're not gonna get the same wage. You can't just be getting paid 150 grand as a plumber here and then go to there and still get 150 grand. You have to go down to compete with the local economy.
Anja: Mm.
Matthew: Yeah. Or whatever the, what, whatever the other wages are.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: So having an online business certainly helps. So that's a lot of the thought that goes into moving. But creating an online business is not simple.
Anja: No.
Matthew: Right. People ask me all the time because I did, um, quite well through Amazon and e-commerce over the last few years. Look, my first two products are You failed.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Yeah. It was, they were dismal, but I was learning.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: The third product worked out well and, and made a lot of money. My advice to people, if, and I spoke to someone yesterday about this, if they're thinking about getting an online business, the probably the hardest thing you could do is to start from scratch.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Okay. Whether it be, um, particularly in a product based business. Mm. Okay. I am gonna talk about something else in a second. So you are better to just go and buy and they're everywhere. Write this down folks. Empire flippers.com and Flipper with an A-F-L-I-P-P a.com. They are online brokerage sites.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Where you can just go and just look for different types of businesses, whether it's Amazon, e-commerce, SaaS, businesses, you name it, they're all there and you can filter it between. Categories and monetization methods and all sorts of things. Right. So you can go dig,
Anja: I didn't know this. That's cool.
Matthew: Go dig deep.
Anja: Yeah. Yeah.
Matthew: Okay. It's much easier to buy something that's already established and is trading. Yeah. 'cause you've got the trading history. Yes. So it's, it's proven. And if a product, the the hardest thing about coming up with a product-based business, and I see these people all the time. I created this little thing and it's gonna be awesome. But you haven't put it to the market. You don't even know if it's gonna sell yet. You dunno what the margins are, et cetera. So it's, yeah. So second to that would be to create your own personal brand. Yeah. Which is exactly what people like you and me do. We created a personal brand on social media.
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: We find our tribe. There are people that will love you. There are people that will love me. Yep. There are people that will hate me. Right. That's fine. But the people that love you love you.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Yeah. And so, and they look to you for inspiration and guidance and what you're doing and in your, in the particular niche that you're talking about. Right. You'll see a lot of these with influences of health. Health is a huge one. Right. Super hard niche to crack into, but maybe you do.
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: Yeah. And so that is something though, that cannot be purchased, right? You have to start from scratch. So I would say to people, if that's something you're even thinking about doing and we're talking about, about this off air start, grab your iPhone, start recording a video. It's gonna be crap. Probably no one's gonna watch it. But in time people find you, your videos get better. You probably, you might even change your message. Maybe you start off talking about. Um, like what I did, I started talking about Amazon 'cause that's what I was in.
Anja: Mm-hmm.
Matthew: But then I just discovered Bitcoin. I was like, I don't wanna talk about Amazon anymore.
Anja: Mm-hmm.
Matthew: I just wanna talk about the things that I like to talk about. Yeah. And so that then, um, spawned into this whole online community that I have under the crypto collective. Mm-hmm. And next thing you know, there's like, I felt like 3000, over 3000 people in this group.
Anja: That's amazing.
Matthew: I know. I can't believe it. It started at zero, only probably within two, two years-ish.
Anja: Yeah. That's
Matthew: so amazing. Unbelievable. Right. And it just keeps growing.
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: As more and more people wake up to Bitcoin and also SM SFS and things like that. So yeah. It's, it's, so that's my encouragement to PE for people is to just. Put their voice out there and then that could eventually is where I'm get to, could become monetized. Yeah. And then you can travel the world.
Anja: Yep. That's exactly what I'm trying to kind of do with honest money, you know, like, uh, yeah. Just detach myself from as, as many, you know, dependencies as possible and then do my own thing. So be
Matthew: Yeah. Yeah. You could, and I mean, I know Dubai's not a very, uh, might not be a favorable spot to move to today.
Anja: I don't like it.
Matthew: Right? You don't.
Anja: No,
Matthew: no, but
Anja: it's too much concrete for me that that's fine. That Im, now I need to nature person,
Matthew: however. Okay. However, just to give an example, you can get a golden Visa in de for, for the UAE.
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: If you are a creator.
Anja: Oh, I think is it true that you only have to spend two days a year so you can get a residency in Dubai, meet their requirements, but you can live in Costa Rica,
Matthew: like Yeah. So the golden visa's way more flexible. It's like the top tier.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Um, passport, let's call it. Yeah. Or pro visa program. And, but you pay to get it now if you don't pay to get it, you have to meet these other criteria, which is like, Hey, they actually we should do this in Australia.
Anja: Mm.
Matthew: Right. Which is we need these types of people, builders and da dah da. Right. And we'll just, we'll, we'll give you a free visa because we want you to come here. So the UAE is, we want creators and influencers and people to come here and do podcasts and talk about Bitcoin and crypto and all these other innovative type things. And in fact, if you've already got an existing following. We'll pay for you to come and we'll, they'll give you the studio and all sorts of things. It's incredible what they do. And so therefore it doesn't cost you any money to do it. Right. Yeah. You don't have to pay for the, for the traditional golden visa. There's tier underneath that though, but have different requirements, but less cost, but more commitment to the, to like residency stays.
Anja: Mm-hmm. Yeah. I'll just quickly check the time. Um,
Matthew: what is the time?
Anja: Okay, so 10. So yeah, we should be, uh, wrapping up, but I wanted to ask you a little cheeky question. Um, nothing too cheeky. Okay. Uh, Solana, so the money that you have put in Solana Yeah. Have you calculated whether you would've done better if it was all in Bitcoin?
Matthew: You know what? I haven't, but I can tell people that I absolutely would've done better if I'd not bought all the other things. Yeah. You know, like the xps, the chain links, the. The AVEs. I mean, there's a whole list of things.
Anja: I didn't even know what half of those things.
Matthew: Yeah. Just alt coins.
Anja: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Matthew: Okay. Uh, I would've been better off just sticking to Bitcoin.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: But it's, it's when you don't understand, you don't understand, like you just don't know. Right. Yeah. And that's sort of part of the journey. And I speak to a lot of people who have moved from diversified crypto portfolio and then eventually just like capitulates into just bitcoin's the thing.
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: So if people are coming in new, I always say, I, I, I understand that people want to go a little bit out on the risk curve because they think, oh, but this particular coin's gonna a hundred x fine, put a thousand bucks in or something, you know, whatever you're prepared to just lose. But, but put like all of my superannuation. All of that is Bitcoin. I don't diversify that amongst anything. I just wanna keep my life simple. And I think that's the other thing too, is as I've gotten rid of all the properties and all the cars and everything, I'm trying to simplify my life too.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Yeah. And so, yeah. So if you would've made more money just sticking with Bitcoin. Yeah. The other thing people try and do a lot too I see is they try and do trading. There's a, there's a a saying I heard just recently, which is 90% of traders lose 90% of their money within 90 days.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Yeah. That's not to say though, that people don't make money in trading.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: But it's just super rare.
Anja: Yeah.
Matthew: Yeah. So just, I would go in, do paper trading in the beginning, which is not using your own money.
Anja: Mm-hmm.
Matthew: Learn that, understand the principles of it, and then if you've got a bit of spare money on the side, fine. Do it. But I wouldn't be putting all my life savings into trading.
Anja: Yeah, absolutely. Time in the market beats timing the market.
Matthew: Perfectly said ar Yeah.
Anja: Well, thank you so much for your time today. I'll obviously drop all the links, um, for your business in the show notes. Is there anything you wanna say as like, kind of last words?
Matthew: Yeah, I just wanna say congratulations to yourself. Oh, thanks. You're doing an incredible job. You are the caliber of speakers that you're getting on here except above myself. Right. You, you boost and, and so on and so forth.
Anja: He's not on yet.
Matthew: Oh, cut that out.
Anja: We, we can cut this out.
Matthew: Ania, I just wanna congratulate you on everything you're doing in this space. Thank you. You've got so many amazing guests coming on. I know you have many more incredible guests into the future. And just thank you for being a part of the Bitcoin community.
Anja: Thank you so much, and thank you for buying me this book. It's so lovely. I, um, yeah, I was very pleasantly surprised and this is one I haven't read. Um, so yeah, I'm so happy. Thanks so much for coming on the show.
Matthew: Thanks for having me.
Anja: Yay. Is that it?
Matthew: Yeah, that's it.
Anja: Oh my God. I'm sweating.
Matthew: Tell, tell me about rule number 13 and why you hate it so much.
Anja: Okay. Are we still rolling, Michael?
Matthew: Yeah, we probably with
Anja: record, um, I was, yeah, we were talking offline a little
Matthew: bit. So Anya
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: You were telling me before about Michael Sailor's 21 Rules and you particularly don't like rule number 13. What is that rule and explain why you don't like it?
Anja: I think the rule from memory says something along the lines of, don't be anti fiat, be pro Bitcoin. And it's very hard for me not to be anti fiat because having learned how the fiat system works and how deeply flawed, flawed it is, it's really hard for me to not Yeah,
Matthew: not, yeah. It's hard to agree with it. Right?
Anja: Yeah, absolutely.
Matthew: I'm gonna give you a different take on it though. Yeah. Probably the way perhaps Michael Sailor sees it, um. Two, two, probably two reasons, but I'm gonna, the first reason I think is when you are negative and you put negative energy into something, it drains you. Mm. And Bitcoin is hope. So if you focus just on the positive attributes of Bitcoin and not let fear bring you down, I think you're gonna have a much happier and better life with less stress and anxiety just knowing that you have Bitcoin. So I think that's the first thing. And secondly, pure speculation is that he, Michael Saylor works with the fiat industry. So rather than trashing it, essentially he can utilize the fiat industry to buy more Bitcoin.
Anja: Mm-hmm.
Matthew: You see? So maybe we'll go with number one though. I think that's probably the, the first reason why less negativity, more into positivity. Bitcoin is hope.
Anja: Yeah, I love it. I love it. I'm still struggling with it because yeah, it's like, I feel like you need the two sides of the story. In order for you to appreciate the solution, you need to understand the problem. And understanding the problem involves speaking honestly about it. And you can't speak honestly about it unless you actually say that. It's,
Matthew: I think you can say it though, Anya. I think you can say it.
Anja: Okay.
Matthew: I'll
Anja: try.
Matthew: Okay. But it's not, don't put all your energy in hating it. Okay. Because it will bring you down. Yeah. And it'll, it'll turn you into a horrible, like, you know, a
Anja: Grinch.
Matthew: Like, I mean, I obviously talk, talk a bit, a lot of things down too, like the banks and the superannuation system, everything, but there's a solution.
Anja: Mm-hmm.
Matthew: Yeah. If I just talked to down the Fiat and gave no one the solution, well, what is the solution? It's like, oh, I don't know.
Anja: Yep.
Matthew: And it's just depressing. Yeah. So anyway, maybe you could turn that into a, um, a reel.
Anja: I hope so.
Matthew: That one is real.
Anja: All
Matthew: right.
Anja: That'd be cool. Yeah.
Matthew: Okay. Finish up there.
Anja: Yeah, let's do it. Okay. Let's do it. Thanks. Um, awesome.
Speaker 3: Still here you are one of the good ones. We'll be back next week with a brand new episode. If you enjoy how we cut through the noise, consider supporting us directly via the Lightning QR code. Got a question or a thought to share? Comments are wide open. We'd love to hear from you. For bonus content and updates, follow us on socials at Honest Money Show. Until next week, take care of yourself and your money and stay decentralized.