Trump-supporting fundamentalists or radical social reformers?
For argument's sake: where we take a debate, cut out the party politics and try to talk it out
- What is an Evangelical?, National Association of Evangelicals (using evangelical distinctives of historian David Bebbington)
- NAE, LifeWay Research Publish Evangelical Beliefs Research Definition
- Lifeway Research Many Who Call Themselves Evangelical Don’t Actually Hold Evangelical Beliefs
- Joel Osteen – American pastor, televangelist and author
- Hymn And Can it Be That I Should Gain
- 12 ways to be a true evangelical
- Australian College of Theology's June 2019 Nexus magazine (edited by Megan Powell du Toit)
- Evangelicals: Who They Have Been, Are Now, and Could Be, Mark Noll (Ed), David Bebbington (Ed), George Marsden (Ed) – coming soon
- Stuart Piggin's books (written with Robert D. Linder): the award-winning The Fountain of Public Prosperity: Evangelical Christians in Australian History 1740-1914 and the newly released Attending to the National Soul: Evangelical Christians in Australian History, 1914-2014
Glossary – Michael has been using big words again:
- Hegelian synthesis: the philosophy of 19th-century German philosopher G.W.F. Hegel which says there is a higher stage of truth that combines the truth of a thesis and an antithesis.
- Egalitarianism: the doctrine that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities.
- This American Life podcast Anatomy of Doubt
- Article Unbelievable: Netflix Shows Christian Faith at Work
Join in the discussion online
What is With All Due Respect?
Less aggro, more conversation.
Is it even possible to have a deep discussion without it descending into chaos? Michael Jensen and Megan Powell du Toit think yes, and want to show the rest of us how to do it.
There’s plenty of things they disagree on: free will, feminism, where you should send your kids to school and what type of church you should go to. But there are also plenty of other things that they have in common. They want to talk about all these things with conviction. But they also want the conversation to be constructive. Tune in to find out if that’s possible.