Nick and Daniel trade off describing their favorite myths and misconceptions about insomnia and sleep.
- Does everyone need 8 hours of sleep per night?
- Should I go to bed at the same time every night?
- The crucial difference between feeling tired and feeling sleepy
- If I’m not getting 8 hours of sleep, am I at risk for major health issues?
- Do I need to avoid blue light before bed?
- Do things cause insomnia or beliefs about things? See also: Nick's Complete Guide to Insomnia
- The problem with sleep hygiene
- Sleep is more about what you don’t do than what you do.
- Sleep effort and the perfect metaphor for insomnia
- Is it important to get an even number of sleep cycles?
- Beware the Sleep Hygiene Industrial Complex
- If I have a big day coming up, should I get into bed early?
- Can I pay off my long-term sleep debt?
- How important is it to understand what caused my insomnia?
- Triggering factors vs maintaining factors in insomnia
- Insomnia and threat-monitoring
- Is insomnia even a sleep disorder?
- Does sleep quality deteriorate with age?
- Should I avoid exercise in the evenings?
- Intention is everything when it comes to sleep.
You can follow Daniel Erichsen online in the following places:
If you enjoyed this episode of Minds&Mics and want to get notified whenever new episodes are released, you can join Nick's free weekly newsletter here →
What is Minds and Mics?
Psychologist Nick Wignall interviews experts in the fields of psychology, mental health, and human potential to better understand how the mind works and how we can make it work for us to improve our lives in practical, meaningful ways.