Welcome to the Soul Touched by Dogs Podcast, the show for dog lovers who see dogs not as toys or tools, but wise souls worth our respect and care. I'm an Herrmann, and I'm your host. I talk to poor some humans, people who do great work for dogs and their people. So come and join us for today's conversation.
Anke: Hello, and welcome, Maribeth. I'm super delighted to have you here. Listeners, I do hope please do check out the video. You've got to see your her jumper. It's just the most adorable thing.
Maribeth: It's it's all little dogs just doing dog stuff with cute little phrases here, which I can't read because it's backwards, but But it's I I wore it for you, Erica. So
Anke: Oh, I'm so grateful. That's just really made my day. So why don't we start out and let people know where you're based and and what's your
Maribeth: business? I I am in Alexandria, Virginia, uh, south of the capital, Washington, DC. And um and my business is that I am an intuitive animal communicator and I also Include medical intuitive and energy healer because I use all three of those modalities to help people and their pets. And I do most of my sessions remotely. Uh, I wanna say that because one of the most interesting sessions I've had, Anke, was where, uh I'm in Virginia, US. The woman was when I first talked to her well, she said the woman is in Thailand now And her dog is with her aunt and uncle in Canada, and we were able to have a very good session. We've done a couple of seen. Couple of them. So, um, intuitive communication does not depend on location. It's a it's a mind to mind connection. So That's
Anke: so beautiful. I love that. I mean, like, several questions pop up. Like, the first thing I'm curious about is I would imagine that's that's not what you did when you got out of school. Right? So how, you know, how did you get into that? And what was the turning point for you to say, look. I can turn this in my full time into my full time business.
Maribeth: Um, Yeah. I think you're gonna love the story. Uh so I'm a retired navy officer, US navy officer, and then I went to into an association, worked for a great association for another twenty years um and and I had this uh intuitive spark to do massage and and in still having a day job and there I started taking some courses used. Stick with me. Uh, energy healing courses, Reiki, became a Reiki master. And at that point, somewhere in there, My dogs started communicating intuitively with me I like The first one was I love telling the story. My dog, Timmy, who had passed a few years ago, showed up. While I was in the kitchen, he was in the dining room. He just popped in sitting on the floor, and it looked like He was physically there. It wasn't the ghost see through anything like that. It was like, wow. And I turned my head and said, Timmy, With delight and surprise, of course, uh, because this had never happened to me. And, um, he He disappeared. And I've got to say I say this so often when I get to. So but I love it. He came back. He he was happy. Oh, he had survived death. There's still a personality there. And he took the time to come back and let me know he was a he was a happy guy and everything was good and he loves me. So like, And it's like in a millisecond I get all this stuff. So, um, it took me a while. Uh, I started doing Energy healing, uh, for people. And then I tried intuitive animal communication after I've learned some I've learned some stuff I took some training because I wanted to do this on purpose um my dog Tibor was really the guy who got me to, like, switch over to intuitive animal communication as my primary focus because I started seeing visions of his past life. And I don't mean, um, reincarnation, although I I do know that our animals reincarnate, but this was just before I got him. He had a rough life. And that was the time when I said, I've got to start working with people and their animals. And I gotta say, when I get to work with people who who loved their animals enough to show up and talk to an animal communicator? Man, I'm already talking to the dog or the cat, and seen. And you, you dog lover you, you are so open hearted. It it's a it's a perfect combination. Seen. That's I was just hooked, and I've been hooked since then.
Anke: I can totally understand that. Yeah. So what do people come to you for most of the day. Is there a pattern or is it is it a variety or what is that people come to you for?
Maribeth: There is there is a variety. Um, I prefer to be somebody who helps I want to say solve problems uh that's the human's version of it but It's all about relationships. We get we who love animals, our dogs, we we bring them into our life Because we want to have a happier life and we break we get so much joy. So people come to me when, When they have, say, aggressive dogs or dogs with tons of anxiety, uh some some behaviours that they brought with them say if they're a rescue dog and they've been adopted in that way Um, or the behaviors change. Physical issues. You know, I I'm taking my talk to the veterinarian. What else can you pick up? Uh can you do some healing about it? And then, Oh, we were talking about this earlier. We do we do talk about the rules of living with your humans. You know, like, there are just certain things about where everybody goes potty and there's different rules for dogs, cats, and people and sometimes they need some guidance of on on what works when you you decided to live with your beloved human. So that was a little thought. Then finally, As as dogs or other animals are starting to, uh, get older. So I hope with that, uh, you know, how are they feeling and even end of life, um, end of life issues about how are they feeling physically and emotionally? Is the treatment working or are they like done with it? In telling them about the transition and helping people connect afterwards. I wrote a book Peace in Passing, Comfort for Loving Humans During Animal Transitions based on my experiences there, so lots of dog stories. So that that's hopefully in a nutshell all the different areas I I work with.
Anke: And I I mean, that's so helpful. I've had, like, my first dog passed, like, two years ago. And, you know, I kinda expected it to be tough once. Right? So I still kind of feel the connection is still there. You know? I have a most of my screensaver everywhere, so I don't not afraid to look at it. Like, you know, I cannot be very much present. And, you know, but there is that part. Like, I always worried, but it was one thing I always worried about. Like, how would I know when he's ready to go, you know, because I thought I don't want him to suffer just because I don't wanna let go, you know, but I also don't wanna put him to sleep before he's ready to go kind of thing. You know? So I always worried about that. And in the end, like, boy, was it clear. Find. It's so easy to Yeah. You know, I I've that felt that made me feel better that it was, like, so clear that he really clearly communicated. Look. Have done. You know? And I had just literally last week, the one like, my other dog, like, he well, we kind of He was sick. Like, he kind of threw up. And and so there was, like, you know, he's turning almost he's getting close to thirteen, so you kinda worry. So and you and that's the piece where I think this is so helpful to kinda have that extra insight in into what he can't tell me. Tried to kinda have that sense of, you know, is it just a little like, have you just eaten something and, you know, and it's just a little stomach bug, or is there something more serious behind it? And, you know, nothing if I worry, I'm probably the furthest away from being a support to him.
Maribeth: Right? Oh, that's true. Um, and and Most of us can't stop worrying but getting more information and connecting Even if the information is hard to hear, a bit of the knowing and and reinforcing that You know, just telling them how much you love them in in a way that's different from usual day to day life. You know, that telepathic connection. I think we all have it with our dogs, with those animals that we love. But bringing it in even stronger, it does soothe us humans, you know? And hearing, you know, like, well, what would make you happy? Um, you know, what do you what would you like me to do for you to make you feel better?' and just Hearing what they say back, that's also it's like we want to do something. And so so just a little bit of comfort of hearing that what they're feeling and uh maybe what they would like, uh, that that soothes the worry.
Anke: What would you recommend to somebody who kind of says, well, that makes sense, but how, you know, how can I hear or what can I, you know, how can I get started on this? I look at my dog and, you know, I can sort of read body language. Right? Sort of like but how can I go beyond that? Is there something that I mean, is there something that you can tell people or is it everybody has to find out their own way?
Maribeth: Or Interesting. So um yeah a couple of things I would say I would start with your mindset that They're absolutely intuitive beings. So they're already set you know, their their part of the connection is already like, And then it kinda it's like, well, well, I don't really know how to get there. So assume that they're already connecting and assume that you We're born with the intuitive ability. It's not, um, something that's only special people have. I believe that we have the wiring, The energetic body as well as our physical, uh, brain and mind to do it. I didn't start doing this for so many years it's I'm like an example that you could start at any age kind of get that mindset And, um, where where will we go with this? Let me I'm trying to think of it. The bit really cool things we can do. Had. You could you start simply, uh, imagine that you're ready to listen and you can hear it a lot of different ways when I say hear that's that's probably misleading you can receive information a lot of ways, so be open to it. You could get a picture. You You might hear some words, you might get an emotion expressed in your body, you might get one of their memories as a picture. So you could start with something simple just been sitting down quietly and asking them something and being open to whatever comes in first like that's your intuitive side After that, voyological mind just is like, oh, I wanna just you can't that would you already knew that how could you or how could you know that or this is all crap or So listen for the very first thing you get and then thank them for it. Uh, it's always gonna feel like imagination because that's how intuition comes through. Found out that a lot. It's never changed for me. Yeah. And once you okay. You got yeah. So it's never changed for me. So it's beginning to trust yourself. And then, What? You don't thank them and see if if, uh, there's a change in their behavior after what what they've shared or or if you notice something different. That would be the quickest and most fun way to try it out. Uh, or ask them to do something different and show them in your mind and and have an emotion around it.
Anke: Got so much wind. That's that makes so much sense. And it's about, I think, like, what I most feel from even even the two of us being here. You know? It's that slowing down. It's that peaceful presence. It's that stop taking input from a million directions to even allow that that to come up and feed you. Because I think intuition doesn't yell. Like, intuition always whispers, right, in whatever way. So you need to give it some space to, you know, to even notice it because it's there. It's just like, can you hear it right now? Or if are you so busy kind of, you know, hustling and bustling and talking? And so where can people find your book? Where can they find out more about you?
Maribeth: Seen. Well, I I have a website and and my website is sacredgrove dot com. S a c r e d g r o v e dot com and my books there, um, and how you you know, I do I write a lot of blogs, uh, and so there's a lot of information that you can just get on my website, and and there's also ways to work with me.
Anke: Awesome. That's wonderful. Thank you so much. And, obviously, we're gonna pop the link in the show notes here and on the in the on the on the blog page. Obviously, it's gonna be there as well, so it will be easy defined. Thank you so much for coming, and I can't wait,
Maribeth: you know, to have you back. Oh, this is fun. Thank you. Thanks so much for listening. If you enjoyed the episode, don't forget to subscribe, and leave a review so other dog lovers can find the show. If you haven't already, head over to soul touched by dogs. com and sign up for weekly doggy cuteness tips, recommendations, and personal stories to warm your dog loving heart. And if you know a pawsome human you think I should interview, I'd love an introduction. Email me at Anke. That's A N k E at Soul touched by dogs.com.