Five tracks stick around for 182 days on the Apple Music Daily Top 100 chart......Iggy Azalea drops her new single “Sally Walker” to 124K Genius views....The Apple Music “The A-List: Country” playlist sports a 26% new add ratio in the past month
chartmetric.io @chartmetric #nerdout #musicdata
- Five tracks stick around for 182 days on the Apple Music Daily Top 100 chart
- Iggy Azalea drops her new single “Sally Walker” to 124K Genius views
- The Apple Music “The A-List: Country” playlist sports a 26% new add ratio in the past month
- Good morning, it’s Jason here at Chartmetric with your 3-minute Data Dump where we upload charts, artists and playlists into your brain so you can stay up on the latest in the music data world.
- This is your Data Dump for Tues March 19th 2019.
- Apple Music’s Daily Top 100 chart, which was initially rolled out in September 2018, shows the popularity of individual tracks on the platform, updating every 24 hours.
- As of yesterday March 18th, not only one, but FIVE tracks hold the record for most days on the Global version of the chart at over half a year, or, 182 days to be exact.
- “SICKO MODE” by Travis Scott, “Happier” by Marshmello & Bastille, “I Like It” by Cardi B/Bad Bunny & J Balvin, “Better Now” by Post Malone, and “Lucid Dreams” by Juice WRLD, have all apparently set up permanent homes on the Apple Music Global Daily Top 100.
- While five tracks having such staying power is impressive, it’s not as surprising that four of them are from rappers: Apple Music has shown to be particularly strong platform for such artists, with 59 of the 100 entries on March 18th’s chart labelled as “hip-hop/rap”.
- Artist Highlight in the News
- Australian rapper Iggy Azalea releases her lead single “Sally Walker” on Friday March 15th.
- After leaving her major label deal in 2018, Azalea is set to release her new album “In My Defense” as an independent artist with San Francisco-based EMPIRE Distribution.
- The track “Sally Walker” has accumulated over 17M YouTube views in the three days since its release and is the #47 trending video on the platform and the #1 trending one in the Music category.
- It also is the #2 top song yesterday on Genius at 124K views, and surely adding to Azalea’s total of 1200 followers of her Genius profile.
- Playlist Round-Up
- One of Apple Music’s premiere country playlists is “The A-List: Country”, part of the platform’s high-profile A-List playlist series.
- Updated every Friday, this week’s version currently has tracks from Jason Aldean, Maren Morris and Thomas Rhett.
- Out of the 60 current tracks, 13 of the them are with Sony Music, 11 with Universal Music and 7 with Big Machine Label Group.
- As more than 75% of the playlist has been released within the past 18 months, we categorize this playlist as “frontline”, and while 26% of the playlist has been added in the past month, a handful of tracks have lived there for the better part of the year.
- At its extreme, the sweet ballad “Beautiful Crazy” by North Carolina native Luke Combs has been on the list for 304 days.
- That’s it for your Daily Data Dump for Tuesday March 19 2019. This is Jason from Chartmetric, if you want to dig into your data a little more, feel free to sign up for a free account at chartmetric.io/signup. That’s chartmetric (no s) dot IO slash signup.
- Bye for now!
What is How Music Charts?
Welcome to How Music Charts, where we bring you interviews and analysis from music industry professionals bridging data and creativity in the music business every day. Feel free to email us ([email protected]), say hi on our socials (@chartmetric), and dive deeper into music and data on our blog (blog.chartmetric.com). Free accounts are available at chartmetric.com!