Welcome to the Soul Touched by Dogs Podcast, the show for dog lovers who see dogs not as toys or tools, but wise souls worth our respect and care. I'm an Herrmann, and I'm your host. I talk to poor some humans, people who do great work for dogs and their people. So come and join us for today's conversation.
Anke: Hello and welcome, Rosee. I'm so excited to have you here.
Rosee: Thank you so much for inviting me. It's really, really nice of you. Thank you.
Anke: Well, I always say that and I always mean it, right? So let's get started with, let people know where you're based and, you know, what's your business with the dogs?
Rosee: Okay, well, um, I'm British, as you can probably hear, but I live at the moment in Austria. were various reasons where, um, my work took me and, uh, for 13 years I've been working as a canine behavior advisor. Um, I'm really passionate, for example, about lead handling and helping our dogs navigate our really complex human world. Um, and I'm really, um, very focused on their emotions and so it was kind of natural over a period of time the way the dog world is unfortunately now with so many dogs in rescue and being abandoned and all the things that happen to dogs, um, that I became more and more Specialized in dogs with fear issues, uh, who are anxious, who are traumatized, or maybe come from deprivation backgrounds where they haven't had the chance to meet anything at all. Like for example, my greyhound rescued from the racetrack. And so it was a kind of natural, um, progression that I started to, um, learn more about and then did a specialist training, uh, with, uh, Julian A. Smith. on this issue, separation anxiety, because I had never met it actually before my Greyhound. And so if you haven't experienced it, you often don't know how extreme this fear and this suffering is. Yeah. So that's how I came to look into this more closely and
Anke: I'm so glad you did. I'm so glad you did because my first dog, you know, I Rescued him from the street, like he was a puppy in like a band by himself in the street, you know, sort of somehow just get to scraping by basically. And he really suffered from it like massively. And I didn't, you know, find anybody who could help at the time, you know, so it wasn't, it wasn't fun for either of us. So he didn't, I would basically then as a result drag the poor soul to all kinds of places just to not leave him by himself, you know, which, so I think, So I, I, I kind of know exactly what my dog did, That was, you know, well, okay. There's no doubt about it. So how would you describe sort of, let's call 'em symptoms or how would you recognize that, that a dog actually suffers from separation anxiety and isn't just like bored or things like, oh, I don't want you to go.
Rosee: Yes, well, it's interesting actually that you say that it was so obvious to you because the distress of these dogs is so obvious to everybody, even if, um, if they're not really dog people, yeah, so like, so long as the, um, um, Things that, the behaviors that we get to see are relatively overt and the things that we think about automatically perhaps in relation, separation related issues are, um, destruction, coming back to destruction. You know, my greyhound, for example, did not yet know really what a door was because he had never lived in a flat. So his way of trying to get out was through the window, right? So I came back and found it. Curtains on the floor and things taken apart. So that is easy to recognize. And another thing that we easily recognize, I think, is the vocalizing when dogs whine and bark and howl. The difference between the normal vocalizing, because all dogs do that of course, is that When the, um, caregiver, the primary caregiver leaves the house, um, they will start doing these things with more, much more intensity, and they don't stop. That is really one of the signs of fear, because I would not, um, be stuck in my, sitting with a load of Poisonous Vipers and just sort of lie down on the sofa and say, Oh, well, never mind, you know, somebody will come sooner or later. I'm just going to scream and I'm going to go on screaming until I get help. So, so this is a vocalizing and a distraction and some dogs pee and poop in the house, um, from the distress. So that's relatively easy to recognize, and we should also be grateful to neighbors, I think, who say, do you know your dog is in such distress? Because otherwise we may not know. Probably wouldn't know, yeah. Now, really, really sad, I think, are that there are many other signs that are not so obvious, right? So dogs, Because they are seeking relief from fear, they could be just freezing, for example, or they could be shaking and trembling and drooling or panting, yeah? And this is different from just panting because they're too hot. It's really a lot of pressure behind you. And one really sad story, one of the things that we see in dogs who are frightened and seeking relief is pacing. And so, A trainer told me once that somebody in her dog school was there for many years and for some reason, which had nothing to do with the dog, they set up a camera and they discovered that the dog was pacing all day, all the time they were at work. They were out of the house for eight hours at a time, which I personally think is insane. I think everybody thinks mostly that that's much too long in one go and he had developed compulsive behaviors to deal with this. He would not, he hadn't, he'd been doing this for years, right? So what I would definitely recommend is setting up a camera and really checking. Don't assume just because you can't hear your dog barking that they're okay. Wow,
Anke: I hadn't even thought of that, that, you know, because like mine was literally, yes, there were, I had notes from the neighbours. I had notes from the neighbours and I also noticed he usually had like a wet belly so he would have Pete himself, you know, so and then that's that part like it wouldn't stop like it wasn't that he then just go oh well I'll just settle like no like this was and he wouldn't eat anything and so and people are all give him a contour yeah right you know like he was way he would he would have that once I'm back right so but not while I was away so that but I hadn't thought of the things that you can't see that easily so that's so you really should. set up a camera to sort of know what they're doing. Always. Yeah.
Rosee: It was actually John Bradshaw in 2000, 2011. I don't know whether you know the book that I recommend to everyone, uh, In Defense of Dogs. Um, it's a marvelous book and he goes into the whole separation anxiety thing there. He was pretty much the first person who really talked about this on a wide scale and he talked about the importance of setting up a camera and did a very big study actually. And. People were watching their dogs on the camera and they were just gobsmacked to see how much they were suffering and they had no idea. Because when they came back, the dog will often just behave totally normally. So you can't say, oh well, when I come back my dog's totally normal. Yes, because the situation has normalized, right? Yeah, yeah. It is extraordinary what dogs can suffer and we know now through the many studies that are done on this that millions of dogs are suffering from this unknowing and without any help and I think that's really sad so it's one of my big motivations. Yeah,
Anke: well, so, so how does that happen? Like, You know, because if I'm looking at the four that have been in my life, you know, like the first one had it really dramatically, um, and the last ones couldn't care less, like, you know, so it's like some have it, like, what, what brings, is there something that brings it on or is it something, are there situations where I think it's more likely if this or how, like, what's, what's known about that?
Rosee: Well, that's a really, really good question. Um, I think scientifically we, we don't entirely know the exact mechanisms that kick it off, but we do know the context that they come up in. Um, John Bradshaw again, because this impressed me so much at that time, because it happened to be the time that I got my greyhound, actually turned the question around. He asked, um, Why don't all dogs have it? Because we have selected dogs for thousands and thousands of years to want to be with us and they are social creatures and they need, um, companionship and staying alone is a skill that I personally believe should be prioritized like toilet training, yeah? Very gently though, much, in much smaller increments than people think. So, um, Um, where we do see, see it arising, sometimes there seems to be a genetic component because you sometimes see it in family lines. Um, it can be learned from the mother dog, uh, when the puppies are small, it can be learned. Um, if she has a problem with being alone, she might, uh, teach that in a way to her puppies. Um, of course. Dogs learn by association. So, something bad might happen. They might have been alright for a while and sometimes something bad happens like I don't know there's a huge thunderstorm or somebody breaks in. Um, there was a situation where somebody broke in and hit the dog for some reason and Those are, of course, you know, Where the dog learns that when I'm alone, bad things can happen. Um, we know also that life changes can kick it off. A dog who was okay, but maybe when there's a house move, or a child grows up and goes to college, or some kind of, or maybe the death of another dog in the family, that can kind of kick it off. Sometimes we find that there are health problems. Um, which, and also, of course, getting, as dogs get older, they can get clingier, um, because they are maybe losing their sight a little bit or they're hearing a little bit and they're becoming more, they feel more vulnerable and need more support. So really separation anxiety or what we actually call separation related behaviors covers a whole range of different things and, um
Anke: So, like, I'm just sort of thinking back, it's like, oh yeah, Jesus, I tried, like, there are recommendations, like, you know, there was stuff that I was being told to do, you know, and literally none of that worked, you know, like the stuff that, um, trainers and vets and people told me was like, oh, put them in a crate. Well, that didn't go down well, right. You know, like, just like, yeah, he basically took apart the crate and um, and then my, oh well, you know, the house is too big, put him in a room. Well, then that solved the neighbor's problem because the neighbor wouldn't hear him banging against the front door anymore, but he destroyed the room door. You know, like none of, like none of the Stop. You know, and then, yeah, give him something to entertain himself. Like that never made sense because I mean, you could kind of tell it was like way too stressed to even pay attention to any of this. So none of the stuff I was recommended to do had any, like, not the slightest, like some, some stuff didn't make sense at all. And others I tried and didn't believe the situation. So what is it that somebody can do to help the dog?
Rosee: Yeah, you're right. Um, actually, well, before we get onto what we can do, I think you described so well the plight of the caregiver, you know, the dog owner, because I think we should actually maybe, because you've described that so well, that you're under enough pressure because you can see your dog is really suffering, right? And then people are giving you advice, which doesn't help at all, right? Um, And they're telling you a lot, a lot of the time that it's your fault. For example, it's your fault because you spoil your dog or it's your fault. I've
Anke: got that all the time.
Rosee: Yeah, because you let your dog sleep on the sofa or in the bed and, um, because you let them go out the door in front of you. One thing I think is really sad is that, um, It's your fault because you are saying goodbye to your dog before you leave and greeting when you come back. So, you know, ignore your dog. Your dog is desperate and, and you know instinctively as a dog parent that, That you don't want to ignore your dog on top of that, right? And we know through studies that, um, saying goodbye and saying hello to dogs actually helps them because these rituals, because they have social rituals and Is it interesting with the food? Because this is why I really, really, really plea, make a plea to get a professional, because there's so much online, which is really incorrect. And give them a car or give them something to chew. Sounds as though you're helping the dog. And it's in a lot of the big dog books, unfortunately. But the problem with this is, That there is, um, a thought mistake in this. Um, people think they're kind of trying to counter condition it, that the dog will feel better about them leaving, but it's the wrong order, right? It, it maybe help the dog if when you leave, they get something then, but you can't do it that way around. But if you give them something beforehand, like a call. And then leave. You're pairing food with something very scary. And we know that it's not going to take very long because the dog is, before the dog is afraid of the Kong. And I have had a client, um, couldn't feed her dog. After a few days, because the dog was so terrified when she turned up with food, and even if you are distracting the dog for a while, the dog is eating it, which most dogs who are very afraid don't, but if they do, you're only distracting them, you're not teaching them a new skill, and when the food is finished, Finished, they're going to wake up to the fact that they're alone suddenly, to a full blown panic attack. And that is why they then learn very cleverly that they should be very wary of the food. And the terrible thing is that they become really vigilant. They're watching your every single movement, yeah? Another thing that people are told to do, yeah, is put them in a crate and let them cry it out. And we know We know, um, from research, as though we didn't know it instinctively, but also with children who were left on their own to cry, that, um, that is extremely traumatizing if that happens enough. And it can even cause neurological damage because the distress is, you know, we're hardwired to stay with the group, aren't we? And so we need to, we definitely need to give our dogs a lot of security. Putting them in a crate is just an extra layer of isolation. And sadly, um, people think that crates are helpful in this context, but dogs are not den animals, and so this is really not a, not a good thing at all. So instead of doing all these things, another thing that people do, which I think is so sad, and that is they practice, they're told to do this by trying to, practicing so called departure cues. Oh, so that means, uh, putting on your jacket, like, Oh,
Anke: yeah, I've been told that too, you know, try that out. So he kind of gets to disassociate like, oh, grabbing the bag or grabbing the key doesn't always mean that didn't make sense to me either. Because I'm like, now he's a poor thing and doesn't know at all what's going on, right? Now he's gonna get kind of worried about anything that's unknown sort of thing.
Rosee: Yeah. I love the way you describe this because this is perfect. I did this once. I read it in a book by a very famous trainer and I picked my keys and my dog, Stevie, my greyhound just freaked out and I thought well that can't be a good idea because really you're just triggering the fear. They're not afraid of the keys, they're afraid of you leaving, so you're just triggering the fear over and over and over and over and over again without solving the dog's problem. So, that's a bit of a long winded way of getting back to your actual question is what do we do then, instead? Um, and the only One way we know from practice and from study to help a dog recover from this is by a very carefully led process of desensitization. It is really analog to the way I understand in human psychology. Humans are helped with fears and phobias. It's called, it's also known as gradual exposure therapy. And I think what people Often are really surprised about is how tiny the steps we do with the, we're not doing one minute and then five minutes and then ten minutes. This is dog led, we have to, we have to make sure that we're only practicing what the dog feels comfortable with because we don't want to be practicing fear or anxiety, right. And people will come sometimes, they will say to me, my dog can do 5 minutes or 10 minutes, half an hour outside the door, no problem. And when I do an assessment with them, and I'm watching the dog, and I record it so they can watch it with me afterwards, we will often see, usually, that the dog is triggered. It's already at the door, so maybe when they touch the door handle, or the sound of the door handle. Some dogs are even triggered when people stand up, right? Because they've learned that their only source of information is to track people's movements. And so we do, we have a little signal. A verbal and hand signal. I like to use this as a safe, so called safe signal, so that we can make it predictable for the dog. It's a way of saying to them, I'm going to stand up now. I'm going to move. And whenever I give this signal, um, it's a promise to never do anything that the dog is afraid of. So they learn when I do this, it's going to be very, very short. Absences. And we're thinking about absences, but actually the dog is thinking about us coming back. So in, in a way, I like to turn it around, so we're gonna, we practice loads and loads of times just coming back before the dog's even getting worried about us leaving. The good news is that this is very effective. It is really, really very effective. It takes some dedication and time, it does, but We can help many, many that.
Anke: I think the, the, the tiny steps, I mean, that's something that, that I got to understand in a, like in a different context, was basically teaching one of the dogs, like it was to stay, right? And I followed some instructions and it was like really frustrating for everyone. And, um, and then later I found like a different way, it was explained differently. And I got to see that I had really like lumped about 10 steps into one. Thinking. See, the thing is, I didn't go in with this idea of, oh, let me just give my dog a real horrible time here, you know, by just making him jump ahead. like 10 steps. I thought I was taking tiny steps. I think that's probably often the problem comes. You think you're taking small steps, but for the dog it's not.
Rosee: No, it isn't. And, um, yeah, I said it before, but I can't really say it. Say that this is a serious welfare issue and I really, really make a plea for people getting a professional to show them how to do it because after four, eight, eight weeks, depending on, you know, the severity of the case, you'll be able to then continue the work on your own, but, or with, you know, perhaps slightly less, um, support if you want to, but definitely learn how to do it.
Anke: That makes, I mean, I think it also like takes a lot of pressure off because, you know, you saying, hey, look, it's almost like, like, it feels like if I go, if I listen to this, you know, through the lens of, okay, I was that dog parent with the dog, you know, where you kind of feel guilty already, right? So now you kind of have the sense, well, you should know how to fix it, right? So now you coming in saying, well, look, this is actually more complex than that. than it is, than it seems, so you're not kind of failing your dog by hitting a wall, to say like, no, do get professional help, because it can be learned, but probably not from a book, right?
Rosee: Exactly that, really. There are not that many. There's several hundred professionals specialised in this in the world. And we all work online because it is the one area of dog work which actually functions better online. then because it is based on observation. You have to be able to, um, my, my clients learn to be the experts in their dog's body language. They're learning to read the tiniest, tiniest signs of anxiety or when the dog's even just beginning to think, oh, I don't know, I don't really like that. That can be kind of, you know, Just blink, blinking more, or showing a bit of white in the eye, what we call whale eye, or lip licking, or very subtle signs where a dog might start to scratch a bit, um, or even sort of groom a bit, sort of self soothing behaviors, things like that. And once they know what, what the repertoire is that the dog, uh, uses, then they are very well equipped to be able to keep the dog always under threshold, because that's what it's about. We don't want to Tip the dog into another fear episode. Because we know more now about how this works neurologically. Um, we don't want to be We're trying to build new pathways, you know. The default mode of the dog is, um, if you go away, it's, I'm terrified. But we can overlay this with, with new pathways. But it means always, we want to Overlay it with pathways where the dog's saying, Oh, I could do this. I can do this. That's fine by me that I can do this. Right. And so it's a bit counterintuitive at first, but we have to practice what the dog can do and not what the dog can't do.
Anke: I mean, it does. It does. It does make sense. Right. So it's like, yeah, you get more of what you practice. Right. So you want to. Yeah, that makes it makes all the sense in the world.
Rosee: So, I love that. I'm going to quote you to my lines. You get more of what you practice. I love that. I'm going to write that down right now.
Anke: I've seen this. I've seen this to be honest. I got to see this in Australia when I was at the golf driving range and I saw these Japanese people like practicing like crazy, but like some really wonky like swing. And I'm like, Ooh, like, you know, like it doesn't matter how diligent you are if you're practicing the wrong thing. Right.
Rosee: True. Sadly. And that is also sad because people come to me sometimes, they've spent a lot of money and a lot of dedication. Because really, people with separation anxiety, dogs that I know, they're so aware of the distress of their dog and they are so dedicated, right? And then it's really sad if they have been misled by wrong advice. I mean, that's,
Anke: that's probably, I think, one of the biggest problems with this is because yeah, I remember clearly everybody has advice for you, you know, to really differentiate which advice to listen to and which, which didn't like, is there, is there one thing you think like, well, out of all the things like this really don't do?
Rosee: Yeah, well, I, Um, definitely don't ever let your dog cry out because they will not learn to feel safe by feeling unsafe. That is just a complete no no. That's really, don't ever trick your dog. Some people, for example, and I know very wonderful, wonderful dog carers who have thought they can help their dog by leaving secretly. If their dog, they, they hope that if the dog doesn't see them leave, it will help them cope better. But what the dog learns very fast is they've been tricked and they need to be very vigilant. Uh, in that way, the dog becomes hypervigilant to their every movement in case their person is going to disappear on them. Yeah.
Anke: I mean, if you look at it, like, because the problem is all these approaches, you know, if the assumption they're based on were true, it would make a lot of sense. But if the assumption underneath is wrong, then you can really cause a lot of harm there.
Rosee: Exactly, but we all do these things, um, with the best interest at heart, and sometimes they come from, sadly, from, you know, Trainers who are probably quite good at other, in other areas, but they haven't had a specialist training. And all these things used to be advised in the old, educated, before there was any real knowledge about it. That, um, yes, don't expect that putting your dog in a crate is going to teach them any kind of skills at all. Um, there is a lot of, uh, great movements you probably know too. Try and educate people that this is not a way to help your dog. In a way, crates prevent your dog learning how to live in your home, you know, that they should feel safe everywhere. That makes
Anke: sense. Because I think at the end of the problem with this whole topic of, like, if you have a dog with separation anxiety, the, like, Your dog suffers and you feel like a prisoner in your house, right? So, and I think knowing that there is a way to actually address what's really going on so you can get to a point where, you know, your dog doesn't mind staying alone and you can go out without, you know, Feeling guilty or feeling horrible, you know, I think that is just such a such a game changer. So if people want help and like, you know, take it to your advice and do want professional help, where can they find yours?
Rosee: Okay, well, um, they, I have a website called Separation Anxiety Dog Training, which is quite a long, long name, but that's very clear. Yeah, I like to put on, you know, what's on the tin is in the tin, um, so they can contact me. me there and make an appointment. We can have a chat about things, see if we're good fit. And then I have various different programs. Um, and, um, I also speak German. So these online programs, uh, I can do, I do all over the world. I have clients all over the world. Um, and I speak English as you can hear, but I also speak German. So, um, I have a German website as well called gooddogpractice. eu, uh, if you don't feel you can cope with the English website. But however you get to me through the, through my calendar, we can, we can definitely help your dog. Don't leave it any longer than you, you need to. Some people think, um, This is another one that says, sort of, one of these myths, I don't need to teach my dog to stay on their own because I work from home and I'm never out anyway. This is not a good idea because this fear will deepen neurologically, in the background if you like. I think every dog should have this skill. They don't have to be left alone for hours and hours and hours, but they should feel safe. We should enable them to feel safe. I think it's a really important skill. And I've noticed that If they do have this skill, it often gives them more confidence in other areas of their life. Makes sense, yeah.
Anke: Actually, it's funny because I always thought me working from home actually made things harder for my dog because there was no predictability.
Rosee: Yes,
Anke: yeah. You know, because he never knew, you know, he was like never alone. I was there 24 7 like for days at a time, you know, or I would take him wherever I went and then all of a sudden like, you know, where I think I always thought like if I worked in an office and he did, mine did get better when I started to go to regular yoga classes and I remember the first time I saw him when I grabbed that yoga mat, I saw him jump on the couch.
Rosee: Yeah, yeah. That's
Anke: where I knew. So there was like, oh, we're turning a corner here because he recognized, okay, she takes that math. That means after X amount of time, she'll be back. You know, and I'm thinking normally by working at home, from home and having like no real rhythm in a sense, you know, regular rhythm, I always thought it made it harder for him rather than better.
Rosee: No, absolutely. And we can, we can teach dogs. We just need to do it at their own pace. Otherwise we're just making it worse. And some dogs, like, like it sounds like your dog, um, Yeah, that's, that's another reason actually. We talked about reasons that, um, dogs have it. Sometimes they just haven't learned it and then they learn it quite quickly, you know, because, um, dogs like that tend to, we tend to say they have, um, isolation, distress. It's just that they have not yet used to being on a, but there are dogs and my, my, Stevie, my greyhound was one of these who had actual separation anxiety, which is strictly speaking the fear, It's also, it does exist in humans as well and children and the fear of being separated from a particular person. That is a bit tougher still when it comes to being a prisoner in your own home because you can't even, I couldn't even leave him with people that he knew, although he loved people. But I was the first person who'd ever taken care of him. You know, he'd come from the racetrack. We don't know exactly how he had been kept before he came to the rescue, but sometimes they're kept in cages or in, you know, um, kennels and stuff. They don't have much human interaction, so it's Very natural when a rescue comes to you that they're going to need time to feel secure and build up their bond first. Yeah. So a lot of people sort of, I said, my, my rescue dog, if it has separation anxiety, I said, well, how long have they been with you? Three days. Well, yeah, you know, uh, that takes a little bit of time. But one thing that if you do have a dog, like, like Stevie, who, uh, couldn't, It only was, you know, very fixed, fixated on me. Um, there is something you can do before you even start on the desensitizing the door and doing departures. And that is something we call spreading the love. And that is, um, very gradually building up positive associations with being with another person or being in a relationship. And later, maybe two or three different people, but you have to do this so slowly because we always have to remember this is a safety issue. The dog has to feel safe, you know? Yeah,
Anke: I love that. A safety issue. That's just Yeah, that's just beautiful. I'll just wrap it up. So, because we could kind of talk forever and I'll definitely want you back.
Rosee: So,
Anke: yeah, well, thank you so much. I think we've told people where to go and like really the core message, like, it's not your fault. There is help available. Go get it. Link in the comments below, link in the, you know, in the show notes. And if you watch the video, it's just above or below. So do get in touch and, you know, make sure you and your dog have a better time.
Rosee: Definitely. Thank you so much, Anke. Thank you. Thanks so much for listening. If you enjoyed the episode, don't forget to subscribe, and leave a review so other dog lovers can find the show. If you haven't already, head over to soul touched by dogs. com and sign up for weekly doggy cuteness tips, recommendations, and personal stories to warm your dog loving heart. And if you know a pawsome human you think I should interview, I'd love an introduction. Email me at Anke. That's A N k E at Soul touched by dogs.com.