Is armed conflict in Asia inevitable? Would China ever really invade Japan? What does North Korea want? Japan Times senior editor Jesse Johnson tries to navigate the tortured landscape of Bobby and Ollie's jokes about these questions.
Ollie's river cruise recommendation is SO GOOD that Bobby is mad that he didn't think of making this... river cruise recommendation first.
Bobby looks into how a Japanese River Cruise court case demonstrates Japan's legal dedication to the people who really matter.
Topics discussed on this episode range from:
- What to do with old, defunct hankos
- Brief takes on the US Presidential Debates
- Bobby's first plane trip in forever
- How Jesse ended up on the Asian conflict beat, and how it makes it him feel
- A suggestion, then an immediate denial, that there is a spy working for the Japan Times
- China's reporting on Jesse's reporting
- War Semantics
- Who's to thank for keeping the Asian Pacific players from blowing each other up
- Whether or not Kim Jong Un is crazy
- Japan's constitutional right to join and fight a war
- Has China already committed acts of aggression that warrant a defensive response?
- WHAT is so GODDAMNED GREAT about the Senkaku Islands?
- What happens when China pushes an envelope of sliced salami into the grey zone
- How global conflict is really just the same as that time you got off on the wrong foot with your new roommate, Brad
- China's villainousness
- The difference between the Chinese military and the Chinese people, and how they respectively use replicas of Japanese towns
- What Japan wants out of their relationship with China, and what they expect from America in terms of China
- Backroom and backchannel backscratching between World Leaders
- Why you shouldn't refer to America as "Trump"
- How the Hot and Cold Drama between Trump and Kim Jong Un affects Japan
- What it could mean for the whole North Korea thing if Biden wins
- Potential future aggression :)
Get access to the extras by supporting the podcast for less than $1 an episode. Become a member at http://buymeacoffee.com.
or Tweet to us at @jbrcpod
Black Lives Matter
Official George Floyd Memorial Fund
NAACP Legal Defense Fund
Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust
Some are affiliate links because we're sell-outs
- We record remotely using Squadcast and the podcast is hosted on Transistor.
- Bobby uses the Samson Go Mic and Ollie uses the AT2005USB mic
What is Japan By River Cruise?
Stand-up comedians Bobby Judo and Ollie Horn purport to report on the Japanese river cruise industry each week.