Fast Times at Ridgemont High: What do I say to her once we get in the car? No problem, Rat. What you need is my special five-point plan. Come on, Damone, I need real help here. What do you mean? Hey, men have died trying to obtain this valuable information, you know. But I'll give it to you for free. Okay, okay, what's your five-point plan? All right. Now pay attention. First of all, Rat, you never let on how much you like a girl. Oh, Dabby. Hi. Two, you always call the shots. Kiss me. You won't regret it. Now, three, act like wherever you are, that's the place to be. Isn't this great? Four, when ordering food, you find out what she wants, then order for the both of you. It's a classy move. A lady will have the linguine and white clam sauce and a Coke with no ice. And five. Now this is most important, Rat. Comes down to making out whenever possible. Put on side one of Led Zeppelin Forum.
Gary Hill: Hello, folks, and welcome once again to another episode of the Cinema Beef Podcast. I'm one of your hosts, Gary Hill. With me tonight is one Suzanne Cappelletti. How you doing, babe?
Suzanne: Oh, I think we've discussed this but not as happy as I wish I could be right now
Gary Hill: Well, Suzanne, you know sometimes the world makes you fall on a stair and just bust your arm and sometimes you know, where's the line go? Sometimes you're the dog and sometimes you're the hydrant I don't know
Jeffrey X: Sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug There you go
Suzanne: But I was kind of the hydrant if you can consider when I was playing with Nara and she knocked out four of my teeth.
Gary Hill: So you're like a hydrant player?
Suzanne: Oh no, got that shit repaired immediately.
Jeffrey X: Is Nara your dog or like a stripper from
Suzanne: Vegas? That's my dog. That's my Great Dane baby.
Jeffrey X: Oh shit. Ain't no Great Dane babies. Those fuckers are big.
Suzanne: Oh yeah, she's about 125 right now, but she's a smaller... She's kind of the runt, so she's a little smaller, but she's not small.
Jeffrey X: Can't confirm that for sure. Y'all dog people freak me out.
Suzanne: Also a cat person and a snake person and a lizard person. I like animals. I don't like people.
Gary Hill: Yes, she does. Yes, she does. No, she don't. With us at Yurtim talking in the background, so I'll probably introduce him. Jeffrey X. Martin is here as well. How you doing, sir?
Jeffrey X: I am well.
Gary Hill: And Dutchess is here, too.
Suzanne: Thank God, somebody is.
Gary Hill: Say hello to Dutchess, too. She's here, too.
Jeffrey X: What's up, Dutchess? My cats are here, too. CD and Twitch are here. You'll hear them running around.
Gary Hill: Yes, indeed. Like cats do. Yes, indeed. Keep this cool real loose, you know, because that's the way this show is. I'll ask my one co-host, Jeffrey X. Martin, what's he been watching lately?
Jeffrey X: Well, nothing, and let me tell you why. My external hard drive died yesterday. And that was a two-terabyte drive that had all my movies and all my music and my books and my articles on it. And pictures, oh, yes. So now I got nothing. let's see here streaming wise though what was the last thing I watched besides what we covered tonight I've been keeping a list of every movie that I've watched this year on my phone just because at the end of the year I'm going to be like did I actually see that piece of shit? I don't remember so the last thing I watched was oh gods y'all the movie is called We Might Hurt Each Other it is a Swedish slasher movie and I gotta tell you it's the dumbest fucking thing I've seen in years every person in that movie is an idiot they all make terrible decisions they all die in horrible ways and it's their own fault they don't run away from the killer they run toward him why would you do that unless it's the third act and you're the final girl no, everyone there's one point I swear to crap they try to run away so five of them get into a car that won't start but they don't get out of the car so the person who is the killer just punches through the windows and murders all of them are you fucking kidding me why don't you have reflexes so anyway
Gary Hill: that's the last thing I watched reminds me of that commercial I forget what commercial it's for but you know where they're let's hide behind the chainsaws
Jeffrey X: the insurance commercial
Gary Hill: I buy the chainsaws I buy the running car it's so good
Jeffrey X: so anyway I watched that you should not
Suzanne: thank you for your suffering
Jeffrey X: I feel like a martyr I should be canonized
Gary Hill: anything else could be a good sir
Jeffrey X: no actually and I've probably talked about this before but my comfort watch when there's nothing else on or I don't have time to get involved in a movie is the Iron Chef channel on Pluto TV and I will just watch Japanese Iron Chef because I love it ever so much it's just like this is battle I don't know fish testicles and the judges are like it's very nice the flavor is really flavorful and I can taste I can taste the fish It's ridiculous, I love it I watch it all the time, and that's it
Suzanne: Oh my god It is amazing, isn't it? I love that channel
Jeffrey X: I do too, it's on all the time My wife comes home from work She's like, what are you watching? Oh, is this Battle Scallops? I'm like, yeah, bae Sit down, we're going to town
Suzanne: Oh my god There was one on Netflix A couple of years ago and I can't even remember what the hell the stupid premise was but one of the ingredients was English peas and one of the women who was just like I'm not getting that penis I'm in tears on the couch I'm just not getting that that pea that she realized flavor no you just said you couldn't taste the penis that was in tears that was dying It was amazing.
Jeffrey X: She must have gone to Catholic school.
Gary Hill: Oh, my God. Susan, what have you been watching, girl? Oh, I actually did it. Besides the penis, you know, you were watching that, you know.
Suzanne: Oh, I gotta watch the penis. No, I actually broke down. I watched Bratz. I, from day one, I've never liked Andrew McCarthy. He just never was one of those characters or actor. He was a good actor. Never appealed to me. And now I was completely correct in my assumption. He is a fucking whiny bitch. But I will say this, Emilio, a little bit on the stockier side, but Emilio still looks fucking amazing. And this was just him wandering through crying about how much he hated the label of the Brat Pack. It is worth a watch. I mean, especially my era. I grew up on all of those movies. But he is a crybaby. Oh, my God. There's a reason I never liked him, and I was correct. And the other thing I have been watching, several, oh, my God, like mid-90s when Apollo 13 came out, HBO did this little series called From the Earth to the Moon. And there are a bunch of like one hour episodes about various things that were taking place in the program. And it's streaming on Macs. And if you're into that kind of thing, totally recommend it. When it first came out, maybe I bought the series. This is probably the second or third time through for me, but I'm just kind of enjoying going through. episode by episode and kind of reliving all of these because I mean, just the, the cast of actors that they had just like it's, you actually feel like you're back in the sixties is all of these things are going on. Totally recommend it. And then past like, well, what about moonshot? That was the thing that remember Barry Corbin, who played the astronaut on Northern exposure. He narrated this little kind of, you know, miniseries about the lunar landings and the missions, which, of course, doesn't exist anywhere except on a VHS tape for way too much money on Amazon. If anybody's actually hearing this, Moonshot, somebody do something with this, for fuck's sake. It's fucking great. I can't stand if you show me naked and afraid one more time I'm going to go strip you and throw you in the middle of downtown Chicago but that's what I've been watching
Jeffrey X: Would anyone notice if you did that?
Suzanne: Probably not They'd probably get mugged anyway and they'd probably shove their hand up his ass seeing if he had any money heading up there
Jeffrey X: Yeah That's what they do, that's how they're tricky
Suzanne: Watch out for the people running around with nooses some ass
Gary Hill: hey turn you the puppets come on now oh my god people are what have they been watching not a ton of new stuff I watched again it's documentary time I sat down but I guess I wanted to I was looking for a cry I really didn't get one because it was very positive all the way through even in the end remembering Gene Wilder is a documentary on Netflix now about the life of Gene of course and where he came from and his career and his relationship with Gilda and his wife before he passed away. And it's very well done. It's pretty much narrated completely by him through some kind of audio describing his career and his life. And, you know, so that's, you know, you get the talking heads you want on there. And Mel Brooks is on there, of course, talking about his friend. And, you know, the ones that are still alive, of course. totally worked her time. Paired well, like a fine meat and cheese combo with Love, Gilda, which is another documentary about Gilda Ryder's life, which is slightly more sadder. It's a lot more sadder, actually, because it's actually told through audio tapes and diaries that she had chronicled and kept. So she literally narrates her whole thing through her career and her struggles with her bulimia and just sickness in general and that's very well made but it's literally her own story is told by her that's what makes the Love Guild documentary really special in my opinion sad stuff but again very positive stuff though they try to keep it as positive as they possibly can you know, until the end where Regine Alzheimer's gets worse and worse and he can't do anything anymore and yeah, even then he's smiling with the dogs, which makes me happy. Oh my gosh. I was talking X on this because I'm trying to sell X on this movie because we're going to do it on the show eventually. So I would talk a whole lot about it. I got a search for Bobby Fischer on Laserdisc, so I had to watch it and I told X it I watched it today, and I was too late to flip the disc over, so I watched the second half of that movie a good four times while I was editing the podcast and other stuff. It just stayed on. I've never seen it.
Jeffrey X: I've never seen that movie.
Suzanne: I haven't either.
Gary Hill: It's a great film, great supporting cast, great, great themes. We'll talk all about this when we do it eventually.
Jeffrey X: Apparently, we're still searching for it.
Gary Hill: We're still searching for Bobby Fischer. a film that's not about Bobby Fisher, people. That's another film. What was that called? Pawn Sacrifice is a film about Bobby Fisher and that has Liam Shriver in it. It's actually pretty decent, actually. Go look for both of those movies. It will really make you rude for a kid to lose. Not the kid that you should be loving in the movie, but the little bastard he has to play. You're really rude for that kid to lose in search of Bobby Fisher. If you really want to root it, I guess a 10-year-old to lose a chess, just go watch that movie. It's phenomenal.
Jeffrey X: I have to say, that's one of the things that I appreciate about you, Gary, is that you will watch stuff like Searching for Bobby Fischer, and I'm watching Island of the Fishmen.
Gary Hill: And that's fine. Those are two different things, you know, two very different things. I will bore you with the context, but I got Riverdale for like 20 bucks one day for the whole series. And I missed the last couple of seasons. So I've been rewatching my Canadian melodrama and been enjoying myself with it. I fall into these shows, people. I can't help it. Like Pretty Little Liars. You would think of something that would appeal to me. But, you know, Pretty Rich Girls, you know, murdering, getting any murder plots involved. I'm there for it for some reason. I blame Degrassi Jr. High for my low Canadian melodrama. I blame this because it's something that was on public television, and we didn't have cable, so we watched a lot of it. So it's that, you know? Are the girls in wheelchairs? No, no, no. No Drake? That's New Degrassi, man. Come on now. Oh, God. I'm talking about like bad, like square pegs era. Degrassi Jr. High.
Jeffrey X: Dude, I can't tell my Degrassi from a hole in the ground.
Gary Hill: So I'm not going to bore you too much with the exploits of Archie and Jughead and, you know, Veronica and Betty and her magical ponytail. I got to see it in person. It was... Oh, my God. I was smitten. I was smitten, brother. I'm thinking about right now, Betty's ponytail. I dream about the goddamn thing. But I'm sure there's other stuff. I guess NHL, Stanley Cup finals, hockey
Suzanne: was very exciting. I watched K7.
Gary Hill: It was very exciting. It was very exciting this year.
Suzanne: Yeah, it was. I'm so sorry I did not watch that. Yeah, they did. But I'm so sorry I missed a lot of those games because it was some amazing hockey. Yeah.
Gary Hill: It makes me happy that it's still alive and well.
Jeffrey X: Did you see the guy eating pasta out of the Stanley Cup? I don't even know who that was because I don't follow hockey. I was just like, God damn, what are you doing with that Chef Bayardee shit?
Gary Hill: Hey, a little fun fact about me. My sister thinks this is very disgusting, but I still eat SpaghettiOs out of the can without heating them up. You know, it's one of those things. I'm aware of that. Now, Suzanne, I'm aware it's not real spaghetti. I just happen to enjoy it, okay? You know?
Suzanne: Like I said, to each his own. I, yeah, I bought a can. I was feeling nostalgic. Pat was out of town. I'm like, oh, you don't want to be really good for lunch, a can of SpaghettiOs. So I got myself a can of SpaghettiOs, put it in a pot, heated it up, a little salt, a little popper, a little parm. It was fucking terrible.
Gary Hill: What you're doing is you're expecting more out of something so minuscule. and I think that's your fault that you did not enjoy the SpaghettiOs
Jeffrey X: I don't think Cootie Bug and I have heated up baked beans in like five years just straight from the can
Gary Hill: my friend Suzanne she likes to cook delicious food and I think she was expecting more out of a can of SpaghettiOs and I myself am liking a can of SpaghettiOs I expect very little of myself much like that can of SpaghettiOs which I'm sure is processed at a factory somewhere and maybe have a slight tinge of tomato in it but you know what god damn it it's like fucking Lucky Charms or you know those disgusting little hugs you used to drink as a kid they took all the sugar out of them which is a bastard thing to me
Suzanne: that's blasphemy that was the point of those things It was like concentrated sugar that would make you climb the freaking walls for hours.
Gary Hill: Well, next time you're in the hood, and I'm sure you'll find the hood somewhere, Suzanne, go into one of those Arab gas stations. I'm sure they have one of those things. Go buy a little hug and just feel disappointment.
Jeffrey X: It's like you put vodka in it.
Gary Hill: It has no taste. It tastes like...
Suzanne: That's what flavored vodka is for.
Gary Hill: My grandfather so she would make Kool-Aid with saccharin in it instead of sugar. That's kind of what it tastes like. Or like if somebody took a little hug and mixed it together with vitamin water and it has that strange aftertaste to it. That's what it tastes like now.
Jeffrey X: It tastes like if somebody sucked on a Lifesaver and then spit.
Gary Hill: By the way, they ruined high C as well. I used to enjoy putting those high C's in the freezer than just eating them with a spoon. But all the sugar is sucked out of those, too. But, you know, here's a trade secret. You go to McDonald's and you get the orange high C, it still tastes like the real thing.
Suzanne: So does the Hawaiian Punch. Does it really?
Gary Hill: Yeah. And so does the Hawaiian Punch.
Suzanne: Well, Hawaiian Punch has not tasted the same since they put it in a plastic container. No, you need that aluminum taste. That is where the flavor is.
Gary Hill: They knocked the sugar out of the Hawaiian Punch, too. We're talking about drinks from when we were kids on this show, and I really don't care. But again, trade secret. Go to McDonald's and get the Hawaiian Punch at McDonald's. It still tastes like the real thing. You know? Here's the thing.
Jeffrey X: It's summer. I don't know if you can get it up where y'all live, but down here, we rely on Milo's tea. And Milo's does a half tea, half lemonade on an Arnold. I can't say it. I can't say his name. Arnold Palmer. That is, okay. Arnold Palmer. Yeah, thank you. But, yeah, if you can find the Milo's Half Lemonade Half Sweet Tea, that is the elixir of life. That is just, that is sandworm bile, and it will get you through anything. It's so good.
Suzanne: Because Tennessee Heat, because I live there, Tennessee Heat is not to be trifled with.
Jeffrey X: Thank you. And my wife, she's out in that all day. We do get that around here.
Gary Hill: I do enjoy the half and half and the Milo's extra sweet tea. You might get fucking diabetes from it just by drinking it, but it is quite good, the extra sweet tea.
Suzanne: And honestly, the Milo's, the Milo's lemonade, me and my friend will go through gallons of it and apparently gallons of fucking vodka with it, but that is the bomb lemonade.
Jeffrey X: And here's the funny thing. It's because, you know, Cootie grew up watching Ghostbusters 2 more than Ghostbusters, so we call it Milos. We call it Milos. Oh, my God. First, it's like the buzzing of flies.
Gary Hill: That's Vigo. You were like the buzzing of flies to him. Enough of that action. And we're here tonight to do a show that Suzanne's been wanting to do for a very long time. And spiritual sequels to each other, I guess. We are doing The Wildlife from 1984, which is written by Cameron Crowe. And we're doing Fast Times Ridge Run High, which is also written by Cameron Crowe based on his book. We're going to start these in order, I think. Because I think it's important to do that. with Fast Times at Ridgemont High, from the wonderful year, the best year. They're making a documentary about this year, too, for film, for 1982, right after this lovely trailer.
Fast Times at Ridgemont High: Universal Pictures presents everything you always wanted to do in high school with everyone you always wanted to do it with. Hey, bud, let's party. They're the students of Ridgemont High. Brad Hamilton, the fast food king. I shall serve no fries before their time. It says 100% guaranteed, you moron. Listen, if you don't shut up, I'm going to kick 100% of your ass. Charles Jefferson, a man with a mission. Oh, gnarly. Linda Barrett, not exactly the girl next door. Awesome. Totally awesome. And Jeff surfs up Spicoli. People on moods should not drive. That was my skull. I'm so wasted. see Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
Gary Hill: Fast Times at Ridgemont High from 1982. Cheap applause and options is this. A group of Southern California high school students are enjoying their most important subjects, sex, drugs, and rock and roll. That's real fucking cheap, IMDB, but you're welcome. directed by Amy Heckerling who's made many things that I enjoy. Let me click on her thing right now. Clueless, of course, I enjoy very much. Look Who's Talking, of course. There's more. She did the Western Civilization 2 or she did all of them?
Suzanne: No, no, no, that was Penelope Spirits.
Gary Hill: I got mixed up, see? I'm getting my female directors mixed up. But yeah, she makes stuff I enjoy. written by Cameron Crowe who you know has done many many things featuring one of the biggest 80s cast every 80s casted Sean Penn as Jeff Spicoli Jennifer Jason Leigh as Stacey Hamilton Judge Reinhold as Brad Hamilton Robert Romanus as Mike Damone Brian Backer as Rat Phoebe Cates as Linda Ray Wallace as Mr. Hand Scott Thompson as Arnold who you may know from the Police Academy series. The great Vincent Chiavelli as Mr. Vargas. Amanda Weiss, you know, from stuff like Megyn Elm Street and Better Off Dead. Forrest Whitaker as Charles Jefferson. This film contains one of the best football scenes that ever existed. Kelly Maroney shows up as Cindy. Eric Stoltz shows up as Spicoli's buddy and so does Anthony Edwards. I will save him for the last right now. Great. Sonny Carl Davis, because he's a Charlie Band guy, shows up as the guy in the restaurant that wants the money back for his breakfast. Yeah. Love that guy and everything he's ever done. That's that guy that's not Reggie Bannister, but he looks like Reggie Bannister. You know this guy if you're a genre film fan.
Suzanne: Oh, yeah.
Gary Hill: Oh, my gosh. But this is Suzanne's choice. I'm going to kick it to X first. X, your thoughts on Fast Times and Ridgemont High.
Jeffrey X: There are reasons that Fast Times and Ridgemont High works. And even today, I mean, there are things that make it dated, obviously. But Fast Times deals with universal themes. Challenging authority, betrayal, egotistical behavior, Stoners and nerds and jocks and the awkwardness of first sexual experiences, especially if they're with the assistant manager of a stereo store. Terrible breakups. Archetypes. All recognizable situations. So people in fast times are almost adults? Not quite. They don't have the nuances down. And they're still learning how to play the game. And I think it's that earnestness that really makes Fast Times work. And it sets it apart from those other teen comedies in the 80s. There's not a whole lot of wackiness in Fast Times. You know what I mean? It's just these are kids dealing with adult situations that they've pretty much brought upon themselves. So things get convoluted in a realistic and grounded way and not a slapstick sort of way. There's no pie throwing. There's no showing girl panties to the other guys in the bathroom. This is a documentation of the latchkey kids. And this is the generation I grew up in. There's only one parent to be seen in the entire movie. So Fast Times was just, this is young Gen X, right? Just like when we raised ourselves. When you left 80s kids to themselves, shit went down. And maybe it hasn't changed that much. I don't know. But dude, I remember when you could smoke in arcades. I remember arcades. I remember when you could smoke in cinemas. And you could sit in a restaurant with no shirt on. I remember when concert tickets were that cheap. I remember when chicks tried to look like Pat Benatar. Good grief. It was the Thunderdome out there. And if you were lucky, if you were lucky, you found some other mariners out there who were just drifting along as aimlessly as you, and you helped each other make it through. And then high school ended, and most of us never saw each other again. So, yeah, but there are elements that date Fast Times, but these themes are ancient and eternal. And that is why this movie holds up. Regardless of your age, there is something to it that you can relate to. Cootie does not like, I always refer to her because, you know, soulmates and whatever. But she doesn't like teen comedy. She hates John Hughes shit. But I'm like, you would probably really like Fast Times at Ridgemont High because it's grounded. And it feels real. And there's no one named Long Duck Dong. So I think that she would really like it. And I really like it. I think it's an outstanding film. Just a great, great dramedy. And I hate that word, but it's a dramedy. But yeah, everybody loves this. You should love this movie. Also, the soundtrack fucking slaps, and fucking Nicolas Cage shows up a couple of times.
Gary Hill: Yep.
Jeffrey X: Eric Stoltz is there, and then he's in the next movie playing another character from this movie, but I'll talk about that later. But for me, the best part of Fast Times is Pamela Springsteen and Kelly Maroney as cheerleaders. Fuck yes. That is Sleepaway Camp and Night of the Comet right there. Bada boom. There's your crossover. Love it. Yeah. Fast times rules.
Gary Hill: And by the way, I will defend the donger, you know, for as long as I live. Because that guy, you know, for as racially inappropriate as it is, he's the only one that gets the girl early. He's probably the only one that gets lucky in that entire movie. I'm sure the dog is getting it from his large athletic girlfriend you know
Jeffrey X: Did Farmer Ted not get lucky? I don't think so I honestly don't remember, it's been years since I've seen that movie
Gary Hill: Farmer Ted, you get a driver home but he didn't really touch her I wouldn't think
Jeffrey X: That poor son of a bitch
Gary Hill: Suzanne, go for it girl
Suzanne: Oh my god, this is Honestly, I could not say my thoughts any better than X did because the thing about this movie A, it doesn't take itself too seriously but it's incredibly realistic. We've all been in some of those situations especially us ancient ass Xers. We were left to our own devices We were left to our devices far too young. By eight years old, I had a list of chores that I had to do after I got home from school. You know, I let myself in. I made myself a snack. I did my Hallmark. Then I'd run the vacuum or do a couple of little tasks around the house. And then after all of that was done, maybe I got to go hang out outside for a while. But every part of this movie is, like I said, right down to the breakdown of all the clicks. I mean, about the time I was in eighth grade, it shifted from Pat Benatar to Madonna. So I was in school with a bunch of the Madonna wannabes.
Jeffrey X: I'm older.
Suzanne: Oh, really? I think the Pat Benatars would have been a lot more fun. But I was dealing with the Madonna wannabes.
Jeffrey X: The Madonnas didn't hit for me until I went into high school. That's hilarious.
Suzanne: Yeah, I was, like I said, this was about eighth grade when all of the Madonna, seventh, eighth grade when the Madonna stuff hit. Then all of a sudden somebody would show up with a lace glove and then by, you know, mid eighth grade. Oh, my God. People were getting sent to the office for trying. They would have to wear T-shirts under these stupid ass lace, you know, the bustiers.
Jeffrey X: Yeah.
Suzanne: Oh, my God, people really. And I guess I've always been cutting a little bit more gothy in my heart. You know, I throw on my fluorescent shactor striped shirt in a pair of fluorescent socks and jellies. But, you know, hey, that was the fashion at the time. No accounting for taste. No, don't forget to parachute pants. But it is everything about it. It's very real. It is. And once again, I'm at that age. I remember going to the arcade. I remember those ashtrays at McDonald's. I remember being 15 years old and buying cigarettes and no one gave a shit.
Jeffrey X: Dude, I bought cigarettes and booze and clove cigarettes at 15 and nobody gave a shit.
Suzanne: Exactly. The only thing that was really weird, we couldn't buy alcohol. So we had drugs. Yay. We had our Spicolis.
Jeffrey X: Yeah, and I had friends who were like, bruv, what do you need? Let me go in here and grab that for you. We're cool.
Suzanne: Yeah, and the other thing that was funny is when I went to, for the first time I went in to see one of our local cannabis, just whatever the fuck they're called.
Jeffrey X: Dispensary.
Suzanne: And the dispensary, thank you. And I'm like, dude, when I was like 16 years old, you'd go someplace sketchy. You'd probably get into a car with somebody who was sketchier to go someplace else because they weren't holding. So, yeah, how did we even live? I don't know.
Jeffrey X: I never did. By the gods, I did so much.
Suzanne: No, I did my fair share of drinking, too. the beer of choice when I was in high school was Milwaukee's best because you could get a case for like $6.99 so you could throw pocket money in which reminded me of the scene while they're sitting in All-American Burger I have a lint and a nickel I have a cigarette I have Uno de Nero
Jeffrey X: Let me tell you I love you, but I need to tell a story real quick, because when I was in high school, which is about the same time, this came in on 84. I would have been a freshman in high school at that time. My drink of choice is what I called Happy Juice. And Happy Juice was Seagram's 7 and 7 mixed with Jolt Cola. I am amazed that I'm still alive, but that's what I did, was happy juice, man. And I can't drink whiskey anymore.
Suzanne: Oh, my God. A couple of girls. If you want to have the worst concoction ever, one of the girls that I was hanging out with got this brilliant idea to mix Southern Comfort and orange juice. It tasted like vomit. Don't ever mix Southern and orange juice. Vomit.
Jeffrey X: The only Southern comfort I deal with is a Walter Hill movie.
Suzanne: That's probably the best choice.
Jeffrey X: All right. I'm sorry. I've interrupted. Go ahead.
Suzanne: Oh, no. Well, this one, I can seriously wax poetic on this forever. There's just so many, you know, like I said, you nailed everything. perfectly and very eloquently. But it does sum up this movie. This is the 80s movie. This is the one that... I agree. I've watched all the John Hughes movies. They're just a little too saccharine for me. Everyone who knows me knows I prefer things that are just a little bit more, I guess, dark. Because you have to admit, on top of, as you said, it's a dramedy. But there's like a little tinge of darkness to so much of it. I mean, when he decides when he's going to break up with his girlfriend, then she turns like, I think it's that we've hit that time. It's time for us to move on. But I need you now. And he was getting ready to break up with her. And I mean, just the going to the point. I mean, come on. And then the encounter with the moan. It's awkward and sad, and we even have Linda who, okay, let's just say it out loud. I think everybody who's ever seen the movie, this is probably the most well-known boob scene in all of filmdom.
Jeffrey X: Hey, those tips were moving in stereo.
Suzanne: But it's just...
Gary Hill: Yes, I did.
Suzanne: Yeah, I know. I was waiting. I was waiting and I knew somebody would pick it up. But man, female, everyone knows that scene. There's so much about the movie that's iconic. I hate using that word because I feel like it's battered around quite a bit lately. And it shouldn't be. But it's a real down-to-earth what the 80s were like growing up. I mean how many people did you know at 14, 15 That had part time jobs Lots of us did
Jeffrey X: At the mall
Suzanne: Of course we did You know I swear to god my first job Was at a fucking coffee shop at the mall And I was like 15 or 16
Jeffrey X: My first job was at a cinema At the mall Oh you were a rat
Suzanne: You were a rat
Jeffrey X: I was totally a rat dude
Suzanne: The interesting thing to me about this movie
Jeffrey X: He's watching the downfall of Brad Hamilton, Judge Reinhold's character, to see him. I'm a single, independent dude. And then he loses his job and his woman and his shitty fucking car. It's gorgeous. This asshole just completely bottomed out. Because you have to figure he peaked in high school, right? But that didn't last real long. It's amazing.
Suzanne: I mean, you have to admit, when it came time for him to step up and be a good big brother, he did.
Jeffrey X: True, true, true.
Suzanne: He was, you know, he was an asshole. He was a little bit, and you know what? Pride comes before a fall. So he did have to take a tumble, but he was, he did end up being the manager of the Mighty March after he thwarted the robbery.
Jeffrey X: Good for you.
Suzanne: Good on you, Brian. and i mean i've had teachers like mr hands who required you have this list and rigid rules but you know when it came down to the end you know they were always there pulling for you it's all realistic i have to admit one of my favorite things out of this movie is also it's got to be when the first big tumble for Brad when he gets fired. And his manager comes down like, did you threaten this man and use profanity? Well, yes. Oh, my God. If my boss ever heard me talk to people that got out of hand, do you know how many times that would have been asked? Did you threaten this person and use profanity? Yeah. And I also told them they didn't get out of here. I was going to beat them to death with a baseball bat to call the police and tell them that they attacked me first. There you go. Yeah, it's just one of those movies. It sums up that point in time. And I don't think it's... I mean, times have definitely changed, but I don't think that the core themes of the movie ever will.
Jeffrey X: I agree. Yeah, because they're eternal and archetypal. Yes, I agree with that completely. Hi, we've just gone off. How you doing, Gary? You want to talk about...
Suzanne: Hi, Gary.
Gary Hill: I wouldn't have my view button on because people were talking. Yes, they was. I, you know, unlike these two, two, two, Remy's, was not born, was not in high school in the 1980s. I was barely sperm in 1980. I was born in December of 1980. I get the vibe, I get the love of the movie. I do enjoy the hell out of it. Like you said, this is a film in the 80s that has, like, real situations in it that really sticks the landing, you know, as far as, like, taking them seriously. And there's no pizza on the record player. There's no, you know, archetypal. You get, like, one scene of, okay, these are the nerds, these are whatever, you know. That's about all you get through this whole movie. Besides that, they're pretty united as characters, which I can appreciate about a film like this. one mistake this film makes is that it did indeed forget the magnetism of Robin Xander and the charisma of Rick Wilson because there's no cheap trick song in the soundtrack
Jeffrey X: dude I didn't realize that but you're absolutely correct where was Surrender in this Surrender should have been in this film
Suzanne: I want you to want me should have been in this
Gary Hill: yeah fun times I enjoy it every time I watch it I've never been to the gallery in California but if I watch films like this and Commando it's like I've been there I can put it that way That's right
Jeffrey X: I saw that mall
Gary Hill: But yeah I'll have to say lots of young faces that you see young Forrest Whitaker but before he became to make fun of Forrest Whitaker looking up here looking down there with the eye
Jeffrey X: Let me say this. Let me interrupt you because I have a point. In this movie, Forrest Whitaker's eye is not lazy. It's just unmotivated.
Gary Hill: He plays Charles Jefferson. The star of the football player. Of the film. I mentioned the football scene. I'm not lying. The football action you see in this movie after his car gets busted up by Spicoli and his little brother.
Suzanne: I got tools. My dad's a TV repairman.
Gary Hill: Yeah, that's just fucking mad.
Suzanne: I'm sorry, Gary.
Gary Hill: That's okay. I'm having issues here, too. But yeah, it's like a perfect Hayes movie in a sense. It gives a little bit of realism. Whereas you've got films like this and films like The Last American Version, which kind of touches on, like, the seriousness of being a teenager, you know, but it gets silly, too. But this is just the right amount of silly. And, yes, I did have Mr. Hand in high school. He's named Mr. Hayden, and he would do this thing to where you would walk around, and you would say, like, Hey, no, no, some of you used the word dude. And then Mr. Hayden would go, dude is the hair of an elephant's ass. And then, you know, you look it up and indeed the word D-O-O-D, dude, is a hair on an elephant's ass. So it's got that going for it. You know, my Mr. Hand. And, uh, but no, the soundtracks rock and I will say this and Heavy Metal have two of the best Sammy Hagar songs in them. The Fast Times, you know, titular Fast Times song. And of course, Heavy Metal and Heavy Metal. It's pretty wonderful. actually use of American Girl by one Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, although I usually skip that song now because I think Tom Petty's ghost is sick of American Girl by now. He has to be. He has to be. You know. There's a lot more to talk about. The weirdness of Vincent Chevelli just, you know, digging around the body and, you know, he just wishes saying, It's so good. And like you guys said, a lot of real life themes going on in the movie. Teen pregnancy plays a role in this movie. And the douchebag that doesn't want to help. But at the same time, Damone, he is trying to help. He's trying to get some money together to help her. But at the same time, Linda, of course, overreacts and just lose their fucking mind.
Suzanne: I don't think she overreacted at all. Well, he was trying to get money together to help her, man.
Jeffrey X: But he didn't.
Suzanne: But he didn't, and he didn't even give her a ride. Yeah, he's a little prick. Little prick.
Jeffrey X: I will say this, though, and you are correct, that there are some elements of The Last American Virgin in this movie, which was really based on the old Israeli film series Lemon Popsicle, where a lot of that stuff actually happened. So in some ways, this is a Lemon Popsicle remake, but it's still super good. And Suzanne's right. Motherfucker didn't show up. He didn't come up with the money. He's a piece of shit. And the fact that he and Rat ended up as friends at the end of the movie, I wouldn't have done that. I would have cut that son of a bitch off.
Suzanne: Oh, I would have done. Totally.
Gary Hill: Well, Rat is weak-willed, and according to the end of the film, still a virgin, you know, so he's got that going for him. Which is nice. Yeah. He did show some balls in the locker room, though, and stuff to his friend, you know, so.
Suzanne: Yeah, he did.
Gary Hill: So I'll give Rat.
Suzanne: I think he's going to take him to moan.
Gary Hill: Yeah. I'll give Rat that much credit. He manned up a bit, you know, for his lady friend and against his friend friend, his best friend, supposedly, you know but Damone has some of the best dialogue in this whole movie though he's trying to teach Brad how to kick girls and he does you act like no matter where you are that's the place to be I love it so much talking to the Debbie Harry stand in as a cardboard cut out
Suzanne: there's one odd thing in that scene though I don't know if anybody noticed it there is a movie that came out last year, and there was a sign, so I think I know where they stole the name from. There's a sign, a neon sign, Licorice Pizza.
Jeffrey X: Licorice Pizza, yep.
Suzanne: Same font, same everything, so I think we know where that title came from.
Gary Hill: Yeah, so the relationship gets trained there, and I appreciate that. And like you guys said, the decline of Brad Hamilton, I think that, you know, he was a back at first. He came down, he had to wear the Captain Hook's mission ships outfit, and he was very demeaned, but again, came up again, because you're kind of rooting for him a little bit. Like you guys said, he stood up as a big brother, so he kind of had that redemption arc with the character, so he kind of wanted good things to happen for him again.
Jeffrey X: We rooted for him to grow up, and he sort of did, and that's where I'm okay with that character arc.
Gary Hill: yeah this is this is um a phil is filled with great character arcs though and there's nothing left behind you know on the table and um i i enjoy uh the 80s of it i enjoy the seriousness of it i enjoy what x mentioned that the soundtrack is really good and um yeah it's it's it's a it's a it's a must watch if you ever seen it before i and no i do not own this on laser disc yet one day. I'll leave it at that. Final thoughts for Sue. What was your final thinking, girl?
Suzanne: Okay, well, there's like one thing I forgot to mention, and it will come into play again. The girl in the Corvette. I think you guys know who that was.
Jeffrey X: Nancy Wilson.
Suzanne: Who was she? I don't know if they were married at the time, but who was she eventually married to?
Jeffrey X: Cameron Crowe.
Suzanne: Cameron Crowe. Yes. And I just, like I said, for me, this movie was very realistic about being a teenager in the early 80s. It doesn't really, I don't think there's any movie that epitomizes the turmoil and the idiocy of that more than this film does. It's almost perfection.
Jeffrey X: well it's a snapshot you know it's a very clear portal into what things were like at that time because when you're in high school everything is just absolutely fucking important you know you don't look at it as you do years on where it's just like oh well that was just high school shit no this was happening and of course everything was happening to Jennifer Jason Leigh because good lord that girl wanted to lose her innocence more I mean it took her forever to lose her innocence I was just like I need this shit gone and it was gone bye I got rid of that as soon as I could but no she just really everyone in this movie has a sweet heart with the possible exception of Damone that's debatable but they're just trying to grow up man and that's what makes this movie really relatable. We all just tried to grow up. It doesn't matter what decade or what generation you're from, there's something in this movie that you can pull out and be like, oh fuck, that was me.
Suzanne: Well, I mean, Damone did show heart at the end when he went and apologized to Rat for basically being a horrible friend and an incredible asshole.
Jeffrey X: Damone can die in a thought.
Suzanne: But I think that's as close as you're going to get.
Jeffrey X: probably so shithead
Gary Hill: not a complete pass but yeah I will agree but yeah I dig this quite a bit it's a high recommend from all of us I'm sure if you haven't seen Fast Times Ridgemont High it exists many many places it's streaming on Prime right now there's DVDs there's special edition Blu-rays I kept telling myself I'm going to crack open that Criterion Fast Times Blu-ray that I own and I still didn't do it. I can tell you right now that it is it is chock full.
Suzanne: That's what, Gary? I didn't either, but tonight after we're done, I'm going to go pull out all of those special features and sit and watch those.
Gary Hill: It is full of special features. And except there's a sale, which there's always a sale, a Criterion sale coming, I recommend you guys pick this up because it's worth your time. but yeah good relationships, good times, good tunes what's I to love about a film like this it's kind of like there's like there's a hundred bad ones for one good one maybe around this time and I can't even not a hundred I mean did you see a film like I want to say I've watched other ones that are twice in different time frames but this is probably the best and the most handled one of the 80s without being too sleazy about it It only has a slight tinge of sleaze. And most of it is fucking Damone. So he's got that going for him. And Rob or Ron, the stereo guy.
Jeffrey X: Completely the inspiration for Ben Affleck's character in Mallrats.
Gary Hill: Indeed. Indeed, Ron. And if you didn't think Kevin Smith had that in mind, I, yeah. Like Ron on steroids.
Jeffrey X: Dude, yes.
Gary Hill: Oh my gosh. But we're gonna click over to our next 80s jam, the spiritual sequel to this movie, as Suzanne says, and probably true, she'll explain all this, "The Wildlife" from 1984, which we'll get to right through this trailer.
Wild Life Trailer: - Hey, this is America, Bill. So I want you to live it up, stud man. This is the last summer blast. - It's a fast life. Great. Party Bill. Thanks. It's a low life. Who wants something? I do, I do. It's a high life. It's a wild life. Hi, I'm Bill Conrad, and you are...
Fast Times at Ridgemont High: Not interested.
Wild Life Trailer: If you don't get out of here right now, I'm gonna scream. You won't scream. I'll scream. I want to scream. You said you wanted an adventure. I just can't believe it's with a car. You almost got us killed. Hey, as soon as you're scared, you're dead. You're the one who needed your freedom. Well, I didn't know that was an excuse for you to start going out with the entire male race. Born to be wild. Now, from the creators of Fast Times at Richmont High, comes something even faster. Do you like to be my roommate? I thought you'd never ask. They're doing it. It's casual. They're saying it. It's casual. They're living the wildlife. It's casual.
Gary Hill: The wildlife from 1984 has a horrible plot synopsis here from the IMDb. A high school wrestler parties with his buddy at a swinging singles apartment complex. fucking weak sauce shit imdb uh this is directed by art linson who only directed one other thing which is um where the buffalo roam which is like the first hunter s thompson film with uh bill murray and i think i think randy quaid's in that movie i forget now it's been so long since i've seen it no you're right you're right okay um he produced a whole bunch of good
Jeffrey X: shit though so there's that didn't he produce the untouchables diploma's untouchables yeah
Suzanne: yeah he was also the one of the producers on fast time oh shit was he yeah my gosh
Jeffrey X: i associate linson with the untouchables because i love that movie ever so much but okay well of
Gary Hill: course written by cameron crow again um i wouldn't say a lesser 80s cast but a pretty good 80s cast nonetheless, because this film has Lee Ving in it, so I guess that makes it infinitely better than any cast. The time where you made you think that Chris Penn was a sexy man, Chris Penn stars this film as Tom, the bohung jack who wears weights out his head while he does set-ups. Elon Michael Smith, who you will know from stuff like The Chocolate War, and of course as Wyatt Donnelly from Weird Science as Jim Conrad. Eric Stoltz as Bill Conrad I was forced to watch the Fly 2 trailer while I was waiting while I had this window open so you know
Jeffrey X: I like the Fly 2
Gary Hill: you just get sad about that dog all over again though it's a Fly 2 doesn't it you know like hey hey hey Brundle man you got this dog and we're just gonna fuck it up for you and just break the audience's heart I digress though Jenny Wright as Eileen doesn't get come down in this movie like the actual Eileen you may know her from Near Dark Leah Thompson who may get come down in this movie because she's banging a cop she plays Anita in this movie which is Bill's squeeze Rick Moranis as a bigger douchebag than he was in Streets of Fire as Harry the guy who owns the clothing store runs the clothing store that old Jenny Wright works at.
Jeffrey X: You lead Streets of Fire out of this, because that movie is a stone-cold classic. It is a good movie.
Gary Hill: I'm just saying he plays an asshole in it, so there's that. Hart Bochter, if you don't know the name, you know the person. He is Hans Boobie, I'm Your White Knight. He's that guy from Die Hard. Yes. He's in this movie. And back to PCU again, He directed PCU, old Hart Bachner right there. He's in a bunch of stuff, though. I mentioned Lee Bing. He's in this movie. Randy Quaid, and I could have swore that Dennis Hopper was in this movie, but I'm thinking of the wrong 80s melodrama. That was River's Edge, where Dennis Hopper played the crazy Vietnam friend who lived in the house that they were obsessed with. Angel Salazar, he'd known for many things, including Scarface. I'm just going to get right into this I had a much better time the second time I watched this than the first time I'll kick it to Suzanne first what are your thoughts on The Wild Side
Suzanne: babe? I'll be honest I just I remember watching it when it first hit God help me VHS and I went and rented it I enjoyed it then I watched it a few months ago when we were going to do this another time I'm like no I don't know I just maybe I'm missing something so you know watched it again last night it's just to me it's not a good movie I the characters I mean you know how in fast times I'm going to be drawing a lot of parallels here it's probably not a good thing but we're rolling with it anyway they're not as real they're they are pretty much cardboard cutouts of what real people are and i'm just gonna throw this out here which may be one of the things that as i've gotten older that my distaste for i don't like eric stoltz he's always got that like smarmy wannabe nice guy bullshit going on i don't like him i don't like his character i really i mean i guess now for this one for me just it does not hold stand it doesn't hold up at all him going in getting that apartment my god i've talked to many of my friends who have been trying to find new apartments now and yeah that was never ever gonna happen um none of the characters are likable. Even Anita and Eileen, they're just kind of bitchy. And Anita is trying to be this really sweet, having her first real kind of adventurous thing going on. And it just comes off as fake. I mean, there are a few moments that the movie has that I find intriguing, but to be honest, it's trash. and once again we do have a Nancy Wilson cameo were you guys paying attention to it
Jeffrey X: yes Nancy Wilson
Suzanne: she is the cop that Anita's banging wife she's literally on screen for maybe 15 seconds
Jeffrey X: oh dude
Suzanne: and Randy Quaid's character is once again for me the whole thing we all knew that one person that was a little bit too obsessed with Vietnam and maybe hung out with somebody that was a vet that was also a junkie that was about the I think the only stand-up performance in this for me was that brief the brief bits with Randy Quaid and to be honest I loved leaving he was the perfect cable installer and i love the fact that he called her a pussy i just i don't like any of these people i don't care about them their situations are absurd at best the there's no heart to the story it's it's a very very poor representation and i really don't think it should ever have been made. I really have to admit, I don't know if Cameron Crowe did this for the money. God, he was trying to make a lightning strike twice, and it just was never going to happen. But there's just very little likable about it. Like I said, the two things in the movie I liked, oh yeah, there is one other weird little thing, because I kept looking at this scene. Okay, do you remember when they break through? Spoiler alert! When they break into the, they knock down the wall into his neighbor's apartment. and those people go go in the fridge one of the guys there was Ron Wood so for me I think I spent most of my time saying is that who I think it is and trying not to hate the characters as much as I actually do for me it does not hold up there is no character there's no it's like I said it's cheap cardboard cutouts of real people. I don't like it. And like I said, Eric Stoltz's character is a fucking asshole. I would punch that motherfucker in the throat. He's so smarmy. He's just, he's not, he's no balls. He was a pussy. I don't like it. I really just don't, I don't like this movie at all. Maybe after you guys have a few things to say, I might find one or two other things that I don't hate with a burning passion but it's bad
Gary Hill: Fair enough Thanks
Jeffrey X: Everything good about Fast Times is stupid in about the wildlife There's not a single likable character in this movie except for Hart Bokner's porn stash Okay Maybe She's okay. But Chris Penn plays a different version of Jeff Spicoli, who his brother played in Fast Times. Except this guy is manipulative and insensitive. Leah Thompson hooks up with an older guy before going back to the rat, I mean, Eric Stoltz. Elon Mitchell Smith comes two clicks away from being a Columbine role model. Jenny Wright forgives Chris Penn's character for being a slavering jackal before he puts her in his car against her will. Rick Moranis is a mall creeper with Ghostbusters 2 Janosch hair. And why is there so much cigarette eating? It happens three times in this movie. In the entire decade of the 1980s, I saw it happen in real life once. One time. And that was it. The wildlife leans into ridiculous slapstick, but there's no need for it. I guess this is part of the, uh, let's have a wild and crazy party subgenre, but good grief. With a little more effort and maybe a little less studio meddling, I don't have any evidence of that, but it feels like it, The Wildlife could have been the spiritual sequel to Fast Times. But instead, you've got adults pretending to be in high school, getting into outlandish situations, and in the end, everyone forgives each other for being stupid, and they drive off happy. What the fuck is going on here? This is nonsense. And I think that I am most angry at Elon Mitchell Smith's character because he went from being a Vietnam nerd who blew up the statue in front of the high school to a kid who straightens up after he sees Randy Quaid do heroin. Like, why isn't this kid already on heroin? He should be mainlining heroin in the bathroom at the school. Like, that is his line? Like, he can't cross that. He gets mad because he can't buy weapons at the army surplus store. But heroin is his line? Fuck you. I don't buy that. If you're making a screwball titties and PBR party movie, it's got to be grounded in some sense of reality. And The Wildlife just isn't. It's like a shitty 8-bit simulation of better movies.
Suzanne: Did you see who the army surplus store clerk was? That was Ben Stein. Remember Wayne Ben Stein's money? And I hated the catchphrase. That catchphrase just...
Jeffrey X: It's like fucking fingernails on a chalkboard. Hey, that's casual.
Suzanne: Oh! Oh, God! It's like... He got this idea in his head for a catchphrase and then try to write a movie about it. It's fucking bad.
Jeffrey X: You shouldn't stop trying to make fetch happen.
Suzanne: Yeah. That's not how it works. It's got to be organic.
Gary Hill: Oh, boy. Yeah. I like this fight way more than I thought I should. Because, first of all, everything you've seen in Michael Smith then, he was kind of like that guy. like that nerdy little brother. He's still kind of that nerdy little brother in this movie, and I think that he's the only one in the film, I mean, you guys talk about him seeing Charlie doing heroin in the bathroom, who has some kind of redemption arc, in a way, because he doesn't want to live the way he's been living, and the old narcissist, you know, heralding, you know, wartime, you know, Vietnam people, and yada, yada, yada, whatever the fuck the little anarchist is fucking doing in the film, but at least he changed his ideas. Now, Eric Stoltz in the film, he has no spine throughout the entire film because he lets Tom, captain of the wrestling team, provoke him and make him do just what he wants him to do even in the end where you have that party at the apartment and um now if he had any spine he would call the fucking cops because that party is clearly out of control you got fucking dumbasses he's fucking knocking a hole in the wall he just casually goes next door dancing with anita like yeah here i go i just not living you know these adult responsibilities that i'm preaching and uh it's fucking nuts and like you said the other characters are not believable. You got Rick Moranis as, again, pervy mall skanker in this film. I guess he plays that role pretty well, I guess. I'm sorry. It's like watching Teen Witch, okay? The girl gets powers in Teen Witch, but at the end of the film, she still gets to do, she doesn't learn shit from her mistakes. None of these people in this film do not learn shit from their fucking mistakes, except for Jim. He learns about maybe that's not the way to live. Other ones are all like, oh, I'm still going to hang out with Tom and party down and blah, blah, blah. And these dumb girls will still hang out with us because they're, they're those type of girls. And, um, it's just deplorable people. And, and again, like you guys say, you don't root for any of them. You don't root for any of them. And, and the, the stripper scene with Kit and Navidad is probably one of the best things ever. If you guys don't know who that is, he's a old school porn actress. with wonderful assets, if you will. You know, just shaking and being showcased in this movie all so well. Huge. I'm sorry.
Suzanne: I mean, that was the tits and ass thing that I guess every 80s movie had to have with an R rating, but it was just to showcase more of how much of an ass Tom was. If I was those dudes next to him, I would have fucking thrown his ass out much earlier.
Gary Hill: Just not your friend. He's not your friend. And Bill Lord is nothing from the situation. There's still buds at the end. Like, no, I could possibly fucking get sued by the guy that makes porno for Burt Reynolds and Boogie Nights. You know, this could be a major lawsuit. I could possibly go to jail for this. But you know what? Tom's got some PBR in his fridge. Let's go party some more and just forget about growing up responsibilities and, you know, hitting on divorcees by the pool. Oh, my gosh. That's one redeeming feature.
Jeffrey X: He's attached to his football helmet.
Gary Hill: Yeah, oh, yeah, yeah. One redeeming thing I'll say about this film is he doesn't win anything, Bill. He doesn't get the hot divorcees on the poolside. He doesn't really get Anita. You know, he does. But even then, when they get to the party, she's just as dumb and hapless as the rest of them. She's like, oh, these morons just knocked down the drywall and, you know, ruin these fucking squares evening, playing fucking Scrabble or some shit. You know, let's dance and party in their apartment next door. Like, no, there's a lot wrong with this situation, and you guys should recognize that. And, you know, again, hero of the day is Jim, you know. go wide downly hold it down for me in this film just fucking smoking and doing nunchucks and carrying a jam box I'm jealous of to this day it looks like a very good jam box
Jeffrey X: can I slide something in here
Gary Hill: real quick? go ahead
Jeffrey X: sorry but the girl that Jim was attracted to her boyfriend is Dick Rude who was in Repo Man and encouraged people to
Suzanne: do crimes and eat sushi and not pay okay i've been trying to place that boy the past two times instead of actually going to imdb i'm like now i was doing the whole way in the before times without internet or cell phones like it'll come to me it'll come to me holy shit sorry no no no no no and there's one other thing that He's bugging me about this. It's a really minute little detail. Okay. Bill works at a bowling alley. What was he getting paid? Because I remember when he was sitting in the rental office. Well, I put down the 940 already. How much are you making at the bowling alley?
Jeffrey X: Honey, he saved up all summer to get that apartment. He said that. Well, I know he did.
Suzanne: He was looking for $5 an hour.
Gary Hill: it's bad
Suzanne: Jesus this is probably back in the day where it was like 335
Gary Hill: well if you worked at the bowling alley my buddy worked at you sold weed to the porters in the back and you know that's how you made a little bit of money right there your extra money
Jeffrey X: Rob that's fair that's completely fair
Gary Hill: but I think that Jim is a very the only redeemable character in this entire film because he realizes you know what he was doing was bullshit and you could tell that he kind of turned it around a little bit for himself. So I'll commend the Jim character. And I'll do it. I'm trying to look for redeemable qualities in these characters. He's the only one that's stretching towards it, okay?
Jeffrey X: No, because he's just like, oh, is there a party going on in my apartment? I don't know where Tom is. We should go somewhere and fuck. Let's find an empty room where we can fuck.
Gary Hill: No, that's Bill.
Jeffrey X: Oh, you're talking about Jim, who suddenly gets straight because he saw Randy Quaid tying one
Gary Hill: off. Yeah, but he has a morality moment there. To say, hey, maybe I should live my life like this. Nobody else has this
Suzanne: movie. It should have been showcased a little bit better instead of him, instead of wearing army fatigues instead of wearing a flannel shirt and a pair of jeans. You know, it's like, I know like I said, we don't need the shit spoon fed to us, but you almost kind of need at least a little bit of redemption there. And it's it's, you know, like I said, we're intelligent, logical people. So we understood the job. But I think it should have been even just a little bit showcased like him taking the Vietnam poster off of his wall and, you know, maybe just sitting with his head in his hands
Gary Hill: for a minute. Honey, this isn't American History X. This is the wildlife, okay? I'll take what I can get.
Suzanne: I don't know. I'm just saying that, and I do agree that he is about the only somewhat redeemable character, but I just don't think it was done
Jeffrey X: properly. I agree. His redemption arc was on an arc. It was a straight line, and that bothers me ever so much.
Gary Hill: well if you've seen Randy Quaid banging another homeless guy you know under a boardwalk or something it might make him go a little faster then like hey shouldn't live a lot this way you know but I will say one redeemable quality about this film one more is that Chris Penn was not too attractive a few years later after this movie so there's that you know that 90s Chris Penn was uh got a little thicker so there's that yeah It's like when I tell people That Mickey Rourke needs to be attractive men And they don't believe me I was like well here's this film, this film, and this film You know tell me otherwise
Jeffrey X: You know what though If Jim had just stopped in front of the high school And just yelled Shitter's full Then we would have understood Where he was from Through his redemption arc But it just didn't Work for me I was just like oh what You saw a dude doing drugs, and now you're just like, oh, fuck, I don't want to be that. No, dude, I need a little, I need more substance than that. I need more substance for a lot of this film.
Gary Hill: Well, in this film, the shitter is full, because there's a bunch of shit people, so he's got that going for it, you know.
Suzanne: What can this happen? That's fair.
Gary Hill: Oh, my gosh. Suzanne, any final things you want to say about the wildlife?
Suzanne: it's a very badly put together film with highly unlikable characters completely and totally in stupid situations that will would never happen there is no even going back to my years in the 80s any situation that could even possibly be realistic it was just I don't want to say fluff because I'd be giving fluff a bad name because everybody needs a little fluff. No, this was just bad. Except for Lee Ving. I'll take Lee.
Jeffrey X: I'll take Lee Ving and Ron Wood dragging a cold turkey into the fridge. That was pretty great.
Gary Hill: Was that a turkey or a ham? It looked like a turkey.
Jeffrey X: I could be wrong. I'm willing to be wrong. I don't give a shit. I was just like, fuck, is that Ron Wood? And I was like, oh, that's totally Ron Wood. I will give this movie half a star just because of Hart Brockner's amazing facial hair. Excuse me. But Brub had the Harry Reams mustache going and that was pretty great. He's the best part of this movie. everybody else can suck a fuck. I hate this goddamn movie. Yeah, fucking half a star.
Suzanne: I'm with you on the half a star. And that's even for me, like I said, leaving is the reason it has half a star, and a lot of that is because he called Eric Stoltz a pussy.
Jeffrey X: And that's fair. And leaving is one of the reasons that Clue is a great movie. Oh, yeah, Mr. Body. Fuck, yeah. But also leaving, I mean, fuck, you know. fucking let's have a war fucking fear leaving we know who he is outside of movies which is why we're so impressed but fuck yeah he was great and Hart Buckner's upper lip was great and nothing else in this movie was
Gary Hill: more positive things to say about the wildlife I get like a one and a half for me You know, half a star for Kitten Navidad dancing to the girl can't help it. She gets half a star. Even with Michael Smith's lackluster, half-hearted redemption gets a half a star. And the fact that the soundtrack contains classic rock along with Prince and Bananarama gets a half a star. So that's one of the half stars for the wildlife for me. Again, a lot of unlikable people, like you guys said, it's hard for you to debate that because at the end of the day, nobody is redeemable in this movie. They're just not. So you're like, yeah, this is the age when I saw, but there's better stuff out there, you know.
Jeffrey X: And yet they still get redeemed. And I'm angry about that. I'm angry about how Tom and Eileen ended up like, are we okay? Cool. I'm going to pick you up and put you in my car. And Tom and what's-her-face, just like, I'm going to find another place to live. It's cool. Hey, everything's fine.
Suzanne: It doesn't matter that we trashed. Two apartments and part of a, Aiden had to have a pool probably cleaned out, along with hallways and everything. And sure, nothing's ever going to come of that. They're not going to get sued.
Jeffrey X: No. Well, dude said they were going to have a lawsuit, But there goes Eric Stolls off to fucking Daniel LaRusso's goddamn motel house. Just no. Stupid.
Gary Hill: Oh, my God.
Suzanne: There's no consequences.
Jeffrey X: Oh, my God. That's it. That is it. There's no consequence to the horrible things that all these assholes did. Also, they're all like fucking 25, 30, pretending to be in high school. Kiss my fucking ass.
Suzanne: I think Elon was the only one that might have been a teenager at that time I think he was I could be wrong but everybody else was yeah you're right in their 20s, 30s and I love Jenny Smith but she did not look like she was 17, 18 years old
Gary Hill: yeah, that's true but yeah that's that and we'll be right back to close out the show
Psychosemantic podcast: this is a test of the emergency podcasting system listen to the Psychosemantic podcast politics movies and political movies find us on facebook itunes stitcher legionpodcasts.com the Psychosemantic podcast
Gary Hill: alright folks that's the end of this one not sure what we're going to be doing next because Suzanne has to have surgery unfortunately and Cootie's birthday is coming up so you might get to the next thing that I'm going to mention right now which will be another 80's romp of a show but dealing with addictions and the white folks that come along with it living straight into the Brat Pack lifestyle. We're going to do St. Elmo's Fire because I've never seen it. And alcoholic white folks playing a saxophone.
Jeffrey X: No, no, no, no, no, no. Back up. You've never seen St. Elmo's Fire?
Gary Hill: We had this conversation.
Suzanne: That's what I said. Gary and I had this not to. Yes, we did.
Jeffrey X: Oh, my. Okay. Okay, cool. Yay.
Gary Hill: I've watched the music video, and I fully believe a fucking Frank Stallone-looking motherfucker could not even get a comatose Demi Moore. But, you know, it happens in that video.
Jeffrey X: All games of their own ways.
Gary Hill: And St. Elmo's Fire burning in me as well. Like a bad case of VD.
Jeffrey X: Oh, God. St. Elmo's Comedia.
Gary Hill: Or possible herpes, you know, in one scene. We're talking about the cocaine-induced white folks with problems movie, Less Than Zero, a film in which James Spader literally gets blown by Robert Downey Jr. So there's that, you know.
Suzanne: Oh, no, he didn't. No, James Spader was 10th.
Gary Hill: Just getting in there. Well, that's what we're doing next, probably. Unless something comes in between.
Jeffrey X: Punks on dope Mom and dad live in Hollywood
Gary Hill: Less than zero Insane Elmo's player On your probably next In the Beat Podcast That's the lineup That's what we're doing All the good endings Go head over to the Patreon For Legion Get some good stuff there For two bucks a month early releases from Cort PsyOps, including his pirate radio edits of his show, which includes the real music he intended to put on the show, and early releases, video versions of Two Treatment of Commentaries, old ones, and the new ones are going to be coming, I promise, with video on the Patreon. Yeah. Other stuff. Last Call of Torchies. Next week we're scheduled to do a show. Supernova which I remember being just fucking deplorable and uh to go with the Patreon the Patreon episode we're doing Event Horizon so we're redeeming Supernova with a good movie so there's that you know
Jeffrey X: Gary can I talk about my shit real quick?
Gary Hill: yes you can sir
Jeffrey X: I mean I don't want to be an interrupter
Gary Hill: no no this is your shit too brother go for it
Jeffrey X: Kiss the Goat has its own and we are coming back in July with whatever the fuck season you know we always play in Kiss the Goat like a radio feeder sort of thing but we are we are trucking across the USA in the next season and the first season should drop in July and I can't remember where we're going Oh, we're going to Louisiana. So, anyway, yeah. Find us on Patreon, and please subscribe to get the newest shit, because we're going to have a whole lot of fun.
Gary Hill: They'll go dancing across the USA. Do the whole song for you guys. I don't care. You know. Oh, my gosh. But, yeah, just to go to Patreon. Go look for that. He has all his old episodes on there, too. And I'm glad HBK found his smile again, as I'll say about that.
Jeffrey X: God damn it. Don't fucking bring that asshole up.
Gary Hill: But you actually know what that means, okay? You know? But, yeah. This has been a Cinema Beef Podcast. Where if you've got beef, we've got the grinder. We'll see you all next time.
Suzanne: Don't forget to tip your bartenders. They put up with your shit. it.