I was lucky enough to be able to sit down in-person with both two amazing leaders - Andrea Markstrom (CIO at Blank Rome) and Meredith Lonner (Administrator at Franklin, Weinrib, Rudell & Vassallo).
Andrea and Meredith are from very different firms, not just in the type of law they practice, but also more obviously, the size. There were plenty of contrasts between how Meredith and Andrea approach similar topics, such as looking at technology, working with the partnership, and even how they found themselves to be in legal. However, (and perhaps surprisingly) there were similarities also and I walked away from the conversation with plenty of learnings.
- Their very different journey into legal (from Target Corp vs from working in a law firm as a paralegal)
- How to work with internal stakeholders (listening to 700 vs 16 business owners)
- What does an Administrator do at a small firm
- What Andrea considers to be the role of a CIO and how it affects her outlook on innovation
- The importance of security
- How Andrea & Meredith consider the purchase of technology and new initiatives
- How Blockchain might be relevant for the entertainment industry
- The pressures of competition across both their businesses
- Women in tech
What is Fringe Legal?
Fringe Legal is a podcast discussing the future of the legal profession. Aimed at law firm leaders and influencers, each episode is a thoughtful discussion with a diverse range of voices about ideas impacting the evolution of the legal profession.
Along the way, we’ll learn about challenges to be overcome, what’s worked in the past, and expert tips on what could make a difference in the future.