Elizabeth gets mad and Karen gets madder about an insidious new way for shady companies to recruit teens to sell stuff for them.
- Defining MLM — multilevel marketing
- Defining pyramid scheme
- Notwithstanding Elizabeth’s joke, Girl Guides of Canada is good! Buy cookies.
- Vector Marketing, seller of Cutco products
- The history of Vector and Cutco
- The copy-paste recruitment text message
- Stephen Notley’s 1992 piece on Kirby vacuum sales
- Hope! The antiMLM subreddit
- Mulan gets ready to defeat the huns
- Sasha Frere-Jones called Twitter “a self-cleaning oven” — he may have been a bit too optimistic
- Those weirdly specific Facebook shirts
Many thanks to our sponsors:
- Edmonton Community Foundation, which makes The Well Endowed Podcast. Episode 51 features contributions from Chris Chang-Yen Phillips and Hunter Cardinal.
- Taproot Edmonton, home of the Arts Roundup curated by Fawnda Mithrush and the Business Roundup curated by Paul Cashman, among other things.
That's a Thing?! is a proud member of the Alberta Podcast Network, powered by ATB.
You can subscribe to us in all the places, and most of them let you rate and review, too, which would be lovely. Questions? Comments? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet at us: @thatsathingyeg.
What is That's a Thing?!?
A sometimes belated, already outdated guide to your teens, tweens and everything under 20. In each episode, Elizabeth, a teenager, explains a thing to Karen, her mother. And Karen tells Elizabeth how that thing relates to something she knows. Maybe.