Nicole get's heavy with Health, Fitness and the relationship to politics and economics.
Single Moms Thriving Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1956757341099520/?ref=share
Why is it so hard? (I won’t say the T word)
- We can’t talk about holistic health and fitness without talking about economics and politics, because those influence how feasible it is for people to live a healthy lifestyle.
- Single Moms Programs and Groups
- What we “should” be doing - wake up when rested, go outside in nature, meditate, healthy breakfast with fresh ingredients from garden or farmer’s market…
- Something to strive for, and some do it
- But not feasible for most people right now
- Why not? Why is it so hard?
- We talk about freedom and opportunity. Do most of you feel like you could choose to live like that if you wanted to?
- What would that mean for you?
- Why is it so hard for so many people to do even just the basics
- an hour of exercise per day
- Cook quality meals
- Get enough sleep
- Get through life without prescription meds to help us cope with the stress
- We can’t talk about this without getting into economics and politics!
- I’m not an economist, political scientist, scholar, just trying to start a conversation
- There is a conversation that needs to be had that’s not being had
- There is political theater. There is focusing on specific issues. That’s important. But there is a gap that isn’t being addressed and I want to focus on that today.
- I will not be proposing solutions. I’m not an expert in these areas or a policy maker.
- We should be advocating for the results we want, and policy makers and experts should know how to get those results.
- When people come to me I don’t ask them what workouts they think they should do. They tell me what they want to achieve and it’s my job to tell them how to make that happen.
- I’m sure I’ll be missing things in my reasoning and understanding, and if you’re an expert please reach out and add to the conversation. I hope to jumpstart this conversation, and then have much more qualified people continue it. I’d love to have experts on this show to discuss these issues, because they’re important. If you are one of them please message me @superbusymommycoach on facebook or IG.
- Again - why is it so hard?
- Times have changed
- Romanticized time when an 18 year old able-bodied man could get a job and support a family. At one time that was true for the typical middle class man - definitely not everybody! - but now it’s not true for most people in the middle and working classes.
- Now, the value of human labor has decreased compared to the value of the things we need - homes, cars, food, etc.
- People need multiple jobs or side gigs
- College is more expensive than ever with less benefits - can’t get good jobs
- Medical care is through the roof
- Generation taking care of adult kids who can’t get good jobs while aging parents also need their help
- With both parents needing to work in most two-parent families, childcare is a necessity. Retired parents often do unpaid work as childcare providers. When this isn’t an option, families often end up in tough situations.
- How will they retire when squeezed so much?
- Since single parents often can’t do it on their own, family members chip in. This could be money that they need later for retirement.
- One misfortune can ruin a person’s ability to support themself - a lost job, expensive medical procedure, temporary disability, theft. Too few of us are able to have enough savings to support ourselves for long if our income is lost or a major unexpected expense arises.
- Family members often chip in when someone faces an unexpected hardship. This reduces their financial cushion, which makes them more vulnerable if hardship hits or less ready for retirement. If much of your extended family lives with modest means, there is a better chance you will give up part of your financial potential to chip in when they face hard times.
- With so many of us unable to earn incomes that makes saving up for major expenses within a reasonable amount of time feasible (house, car, college, and increasingly phones, computers, furniture, etc.) we depend on financing, which means we give away much of our income as interest to financial institutions instead of investing in our own future and nest egg.
- We also need more to function within society - smart phones, college education, etc.
- Inequality is increasing.
What is Badass Moms - Getting Your Life Back, Fit Healthy and Balanced?
Stopped By Nothing with Nicole Cruz is about getting the best out of yourself in terms of your fitness goals, motivation and what you consume within your body. We look at getting fitter, faster with real results and breaking through the barriers that stop you.