Welcome to The Chemical Show, the podcast where Chemical means business. I'm your host, Victoria Meyer, bringing you stories and insights from leaders driving innovation and growth across the chemical industry. Each week we explore key trends, real world challenges, and the strategies that make an impact. Let's get started.
Victoria: Welcome back to the Chemical Show where Leaders Talk Business. Today I am speaking with Ali Amin Javari, who is the CEO of Knowde. Ali has been previously on the Chemical Show back in December 2023. I'm actually gonna link to that episode so you can hear what we talked about then, and Knowde is continuing to grow and develop. And that's frankly what we're talking about, right? So, uh, the chemical industry and frankly all industries are in the midst of a digital transformation and there's a lot of companies trying to find their way, harness the path and help us get forward. And Knowde is one of those. So, super excited to have Ali back today. Um, we're gonna have a great conversation. Ali, welcome back to the Chemical Show.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): It's great to see you. Um, it's, it's been how long, A year and a half.
Victoria: Almost two years.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): Okay.
Victoria: it's been a while.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): A lot has changed.
Victoria: aged, nor have you.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): Well, that's awfully kind.
Victoria: So, so let's just start this. 'cause, um, for people that don't know a lot about you, how, who are you, Ali, and how did you get here?
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): boy, where, where do you even start? Um, I don't know if I kind of mentioned much of the backstory last time we talked. my father used to work at DuPont and uh, I learned about this industry at a very young age. I was that kid and toe that he took to many manufacturing sites. And, his claim to fame, I don't know if it's true or not, but his claim to fame is, uh, that he, he helped build the first nylon plant in the Middle East.
Victoria: Cool.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): and, uh, and so, you know, having been exposed this industry at a young age, you know, I always thought that, you know, I'd, I'd probably work in it, but eventually we moved around the US and settled in Seattle. And as you can imagine, there's not a lot of industry in Seattle. But I luckily found a, you know, chemical tech company that had very big aspirations and I was fortunate enough to join when I was essentially coming outta school. And I've stayed in the industry since.
Victoria: Yeah, that's cool. Um, and in fact, you know, I think what's important about that, I'm gonna just, this was not part of the pre script anyway, but what I think is important about that is the, the chemical industry is very unique, very relationship driven. And frankly, we like. Working with people that know chemicals. So the fact that chemicals is part of your DNA from a um, from your time as a kid probably helps you understand and engage a lot more effectively with your chemical customers.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): Relationships certainly matter. And, uh, I think anytime a tech company rolls into a chemical company, there's always this, a slight amount of anxiety in terms of, you know, who are you, where did you come from? Why did you pick this industry? You know, like those sort of
Victoria: A,
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): questions.
Victoria: a healthy dose of skepticism. Yeah.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): And so when I do tell, part of that story that I just shared here, it, it usually disarms people because it just now makes a lot more sense as to like why I've kind of dedicated my career to this space.
Victoria: yeah. I love it. So tell us a little bit about Knowde. Who is Knowde? What do you guys do?
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): Oh boy. Okay. So,
Victoria: I.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): um, you know, the core of our technology is the ability to create a singular source of truth in a chemical company's data layer. Right. Our thesis when we started the company was that it's gonna be hard for this industry to transform if most of its data is sitting in offline sources.
Victoria: Yeah.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): um, you know, a lot of times companies get enamored with the, the user interface of the tech. Like the, they, they get enamored by the shiny objects, and what they don't see is what's sitting underneath it that is feeding the application layer. And so, you know, ever since day one we've been very much focused on building this data pipeline capability. And that's how, I don't know if I mentioned this last time, but that's how we came up with the name Knowde. Uh, we're the node that connects all this knowledge. Um, and so, you know, as you know, chemical companies have a lot of information spread across PDF documents and PowerPoint presentations, and lots of different systems scattered around the world. And. We create the, the harmonized clean version of, of all that data.
Victoria: that's interesting. And so, you know, I think what's interesting about that Allie, is, and, and we talked about data. and the importance of that before, but I think most people's first introduction to Knowde was the storefronts that you guys were building. Is that part still part of what you do today?
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): But what I think most people didn't recognize is what we were building underneath the marketplace. So the marketplace is, an application that sits on top of our core technology, which is this data pipeline that does the ingesting, extracting,
Victoria: Yeah.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): and harmonizing of all the data. Um, because from our perspective, like that's the core problem. That our industry has to solve first, and then once that's solved, then um, you know, any type of application can be built on top of it, including marketplaces and, and storefronts and customer experience software and, you know, anything else that you can possibly imagine.
Victoria: Yeah. So, um, know, the talk of the town is ai, right? So I think about two years ago when the first time we talked, I think people could barely spell AI, by the way. And it's just a i for those that wonder. Um, and, um, and yet it's. embraced it kind of. I think there's still skepticism, but there's also this view that it's the Holy Grail. and I know Knowde is embracing ai. So what do you see as the role of AI in all of this?
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): Our industry is highly, highly technical. it requires a lot of know-how knowledge in order to be able to make decisions.
Victoria: Yeah.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): And, a lot of that know-how today sits in SharePoint drives and random documents and a lot of times between people's ears and. I think the impact of this tech is gonna be felt a lot because, that know-how is now gonna become transparent and people can start making decisions without having been in the industry for 25 years. Um, and so if the cost of intelligence goes down to zero. Imagine how much faster a sales rep can ramp. Imagine how much faster you can, you know, fill out a regulatory document, imagine how much faster you can make procurement decisions. And so, you know, that is the promise of the tech. As of right now, I would say that a lot of companies are piloting across different use cases in their company and, um. So far, I would say mixed results.
Victoria: Why? Why do you see the mixed results? What's going on there?
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): I think the key in deploying tech like this is understanding the problem that you're trying to solve. It's not about the tech. It's about what problem are you trying to solve and then how can you apply the tech to that problem?
Victoria: Yeah.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): The tech is just the solution
Victoria: Yeah.
Ali Amin Javaheri: and a lot of times I've seen companies sort of create their own version of a chat bot or whatever and roll it out to their audience, and see them use it for very rudimentary reasons
Victoria: Hmm.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): rather than saying, look. The problem that we're trying to solve is to make our sales team more productive, as an example.
Victoria: Right.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): the use case is helping our team cross sell or solution sell or you know, whatever, whatever it may be. Now through that lens, if you start to apply the tech, I think that companies will have a lot higher likelihood of success.
Victoria: Yeah, that's good. And that's actually a great segue 'cause I know before we hit the record button, you talked about the, Um, amount of time you're spending on the, road engaging with chemical leaders and, and people across the globe, not just. US Europe elsewhere. And so that was actually gonna be my question, which is What are you hearing from your customers about what they want to be doing with digital? What problems they wanna be solving and how they wanna be harnessing it today?
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): um, this topic is front of mind for most executives. And I think right now, like I said, they're, they're piloting and searching for the right use cases. But it is very, very much top of mind. It's something they're looking to their teams and wondering, okay. We, how do we get these productivity gains? Like, what should we be using it for? you know, they're, like I said, they're, they're searching for the use case. And, um, you know, as they kind of experiment and do these different pilots, I think they're gonna start to see where the opportunities are from our perspective. We see a lot of front of house opportunities in commercial teams. So how do you make, sales more productive. How do you enable customers to self-serve? We see a lot of use cases in, finance around reporting and being able to make decisions faster. We're seeing a lot of use cases in like supply chain and procurement, related to leveraging, global spend, um, in, in, in better ways, um, better managing. Tail procurement spend. Um, we're seeing a lot of use cases in regulatory where there's a lot of manual effort today happening and, you know, in, in, in this environment there's, these regulatory teams are getting bigger and bigger and bigger. And so there's tons of room for efficiency there. Knowde doesn't play as much in the back office, like manufacturing, so I'm not as familiar with those use cases. But because our industry is so rooted in in assets and chemical engineers and process engineers, I know that they've been certainly applying this tech into the back office.
Victoria: Yeah. Absolutely. Um, it seems like the industry has been on this journey for a long time, right? So I go back and I think about my own personal experience. I was helping shell build and start up. Its first customer facing. E-business system, if you will, which is what we called it back in the day. Now it's all digital, but back then it was e-business. But we were doing this in 20, uh, in the year 2000. Right? So the year 2000 was when, uh, digital got super exciting. We had, oh my gosh, that puppet that went along with pets.com or whatever it was. Anyway, there was this whole boom of startups and the. Great Holy grail that hey, we're all gonna be digital. And yet here we are 25 years later, which is kind of shocking considering I'm only 25, but um, 25 years later and we're still trying to figure out how do we really harness and leverage and create value, from digital.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): Boy, 20. It's been close. Yeah. 20, 25 years. I think, I think what you said is very fair argument. I mean, You know, back in 2000, uh, there were certainly lots of attempts to, you know, change this space and, um, you know, you could certainly debate as to how many of them had a lasting impact on the space. You can also debate how much, you know, the tech from the last 20 years has really impacted these companies. I mean, obviously everyone's implemented ERP systems. You know, but CRM, you know, adoption is fairly low customer facing, technology is, you know, from our perspective just starting to really, really accelerate. And so, it's certainly, you know, this industry when it comes to tech, we all know is a bit of a laggard and there's a lot of like hobby projects. And I think it goes back to what I said earlier, which is that. When we see projects fail or get delayed, it's because there's not crystal clarity in terms of the business problem we're trying to solve. You know, they, a lot of times people, you know, they, they see that, interesting idea and they want to go apply it, but they, they're not applying it to a top level initiative.
Victoria: Hmm.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): In other words, whether it's AI or you know, some digital capability, it, it has to get applied to what the executives believe is a top three bleeding initiative. If it's not one of those top three, don't spend money on it,
Victoria: Wow.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): because what inevitably happens is that, the project gets delayed. The teams ask for more money. Business runs outta patients and the project gets canned. I mean, we've seen that sort of motion over and over and over again, but if the project was tied to a top three bleeding initiative, that's gotta get fixed in order for the business to grow or become more efficient. then there would be a lot more, um, focus on it. There'd be a lot higher expectations in terms of deliverables. They would create bigger budgets in order to make sure that it gets delivered. And so, you know, it's not tech for the sake of tech. Like, you know, you gave a story about when you were at Shell, I don't know what problem you guys were necessarily trying to solve. but if the objective isn't to. Free up a sales person's time to be more proactive to go sell more product and thus eliminate, all the, the remedial requests coming through from customers and thus why we're creating the customer experience platform. Then don't do it.
Victoria: Yeah. Yeah, I think that's fair. And actually that was, that was our objective was to, was to streamline, the number of just nagging calls coming in to the customer center, or the number of calls that a sales person and a, a customer service person feels about. Where's my truck?
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): Hmm.
Victoria: truck? Where's my truck? Oh my gosh. I can give you access to the same system I'm looking at. That's where it is. Um, and so figuring that out to create that level of efficiency, what I think is, I think what I think is really important about what you said though, ally, is about this fact that it, it needs to be of the top three initiatives and, and problems and focus areas for the executives teams in order to really put the right resources behind it. To ensure and drive support, but I sometimes wonder at, is it. Connected to the people lower in the organization who are frankly, really affected by it on a day-to-day basis. So, I mean, what do you see in terms of user adoption, right? So it's one thing to come in, and implement a system. And build a system and you know, you start with a pilot and then you roll it out. Are you seeing that the salespeople are embracing it, that the procurement people are embracing it? What do you see?
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): I think it goes back to, you know, is it tied to a top initiative? And you know, don't just do it for the sake of doing it, so let's use CRM as an example. Just because like, you know, that's like everyone's thorn. at some point, starting about 7, 8, 10 years ago, the industry woke up to the fact that they should probably be organizing their customer data somewhere and everyone started buying some system.
Victoria: Yeah.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): And, asking their team to fill it out every time they go visit a client and their people said, no, thanks. I'd rather not do that with my time it was a rally. The organization was trying to.
Victoria: Hmm.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): Was clear and it was repeated over and over and over again. 'cause it's one of the top three initiatives. I think adoption in our industry would be a lot different and we would stop talking about change management all the time. You have no idea how many times I hear the two words change management. And of course it's hard, you know, people have their preferences and you know, people have certain behaviors and all of those sort of things. However, people can change. And people can be led to, um, you know, a better direction. And a lot of times folks want that if they understand the why. And it's been, and it's being repeated over and over and over again. It's like, why it's so important. And so, I think it just always comes down to, you know, what problem we're trying to solve. And is, is it, is it important enough?
Victoria: Yeah, I think that's a great point. And, um, do you see companies, whether they're in the chemical industry or outside of the chemical industry doing this well, um, really rallying around this reason, you know, the, the top three, bleeding initiative priorities for a company. Do you see, um, who's doing this well?
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): the commonality amongst the ones that are doing well is that when the C-suite is highly engaged,
Victoria: it.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): um, if they're not around the table or they're soft supporting this. It's just, it's, it's, it's obvious that, you know, this is gonna be, you know, three years of some poor team's time and a road's nowhere.
Victoria: Yeah. absolutely. So you talked about kind of the whole aspect of harnessing AI and harnessing digitization in these tools to really connect all the different data points. Um, and I know a lot of where you started
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): Yeah.
Victoria: was around, um. Ms. DSS product, data, et cetera. you also now connecting into CRM systems, SAP systems? So when you talk about how you bring it all together, that information a lot of times is in various places. So is
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): Yeah.
Victoria: there a connection point? Is that still part of the, the journey that we're at?
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): There's like four core types of data that our industry primarily talks about, vendor, material, product, and customer. And there's all sorts of other related data like, you know, bombs and formulations and transactions and all that other stuff. and you know, when we started building our capabilities, we, we did it to be agnostic of the data type. And so, you know, our objective is to be able to. cleanse and structure and harmonize all the different types of data. We started with product data because we believed that it was really complex, just imagine the different types of products across all four corners of the industry. Imagine all the different types of attributes related to each product. And if you can solve for that, then you can probably solve for a lot of other problems. And so, um, today it's holistic. But you're right, we, we certainly started with product.
Victoria: Got it. so we've talked a little bit about you know, I think one of the topics I've got on here is just what the, you know, how AI is changing this, um, and changing the future of the industry. What are you seeing and how is Knowde tying into that?
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): we're seeing all sorts of different use cases and I mentioned some of 'em a little bit earlier. Um, and you know, I would say when we're talking to like commercial folks, the types of use cases we're hearing are around like, how do you give more knowledge to the sales team? How do you make it easier for them to answer? Basic customer questions faster. How do you, um, help them recommend the right products? Cross-selling comes up more times than you can know. It's like this thing that's, you know,
Victoria: always a thing. it's, always
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): it's it's literally this thing that this industry just can't solve for. so, so on the commercial side, those are probably the, the most common use cases. Like I mentioned earlier, there's a lot of things happening around supply chain procurement. Uh, regulatory finance,
Victoria: Yeah.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): um, obviously within the digital teams themselves. yeah, it's lots and lots.
Victoria: You know, you talk about that cross-selling and I think one of the pieces of, One of the challenges if I think about the chemical industry, and so I mean, as, as users, you and I we're interacting with all kinds of digital applications in our personal and business lives that are servicing millions of people, right? So if you think about, you know, the Amazon storefront, right? And, um, or um, I was, you know. And, uh, the pandemic changed the way I used Instacart. When you order on Instacart and then it says, Hey, would you also like to add A, B, or C? Or, it's easier to do because frankly there's no, um, you know, you're, you're not trying to do a technical sale. It doesn't have to be formulated in. there's so much more data. Um, and yet I think as users. Humans. We want our chemical and business industry tools to be as fast, seamless, tested, evolved as we see on our personal devices and use cases, and yet we're actually operating at a fraction
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): Yeah.
Victoria: the number of interactions versus an Amazon. I think there's just this, this disparity that, um, people need to also, you know, kind of self-regulate for recognizing that when you have fewer users, the evolution maybe is not on the same pace because you've got fewer opportunities to test, evolve and grow. Would you agree with that?
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): there's been, over the course of history, there's been so much m and a in this industry, and as companies divest and acquire, they are acquiring bigger catalogs, larger sales teams. A lot of like cross-functional support and, it's hard for folks even internally to understand what's in this catalog. if a sales rep is in a certain division, they don't know what that next division next to 'EM is even selling. And now you've got five reps calling the same account.
Victoria: Yeah.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): Stepping on each other, talking about the same topics to, to the same procurement person. And you know, there's a ton of inefficiency there. And so, you know, that particular use case, um, certainly comes up a lot. And I think, you know, a step one is at minimum give your customers easier access to this catalog. So with that, when the need originates. They can easily browse for themselves because like creating demand in our industry is really, really hard, right? Like the customer either has an r and d project that's, that's like in motion that you can fit into or they don't like for, for a sales person to show up and try to create a new project, that's not so easy to do. Because you're asking them to like free up r and d dollars. The, the, the r and d project needs to be in motion. But our industry, our, our, you know, sales teams, you know, traditionally have had a hard time getting into the r and d office. You know, they're spending a lot of time with procurement. And so, in order to be able to get into the r and d, Department, you've gotta have a lot of knowledge. You gotta like know the products. You gotta understand the applications and the value propositions and why you should use this product instead of that product. And you know, I think that where tech has gone over the past two years makes that a very real possibility. Now,
Victoria: Because why? How, how, or why or how? How
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): instant, instant access to information in, instant access to knowledge. Um, you know, three years ago, just having a product catalog online and being able to browse and filter by different attributes and certifications and stuff like that was fairly novel. But fast forward three years, nobody's really gonna want that, that nobody's even gonna want that experience anymore. What they're gonna want to do is just like, type in their question and get their answer.
Victoria: Yeah.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): type in the question and set off a workflow and automatically take a bunch of actions. and so, yeah, I mean, things are just gonna, things are gonna rapidly change over the next three to five.
Victoria: Yeah. that makes sense. And in fact, as, as formulators, as procurement people, as whomever is working on stuff to say, I need, I need a product that does X, Y, and Z. Go find it. having this all digitized, having. The information connected, and then of course the, the AI layer that goes with it becomes far more productive. Right. And, and Yeah. because I may not know what it's actually called. I just need to know what it does.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): Yep, that's right.
Victoria: Yeah. And that's actually changing the way I guess people are formulating or that's what you, you know, that's maybe directionally where, the industry is evolving and when we think about product development and formulation is based, um. And a bit product agnostic. Would you agree?
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): the short answer is I don't know. Um, however, I will say that. one of the most valuable resources in every chemical company is the TSMD people. Um, they're the ones that have the most amount of application and product knowledge, and this knowhow is trapped in dozens and dozens of binders, angers.
Victoria: Yeah,
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): And if that information becomes more transparent, then you can essentially scale your ts and D team. Significantly and give access to all that knowledge to your customers instantly. And uh, I think that's gonna change our space.
Victoria: Absolutely. So Ellie, what are you excited about? If you were gonna say, this is the one thing I'm, I'm shouting from the rooftops about, I'm super excited about this, in terms of, gosh, I guess almost anything, but let's frame it in around digitization, and where, where we're going and where Knowde is going and where the industry is going.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): Generally speaking, I think there's a lot of efficiency opportunities in our industry, across, you know, customer service, sales, operations, regulatory. I mean, there's just tons of efficiency opportunities and the ability to be able to free up people's time to go work on something more important. And we're closer than ever to be able to automate a lot of these workflows. simple, simple use case, I think I brought this up a little bit earlier. Regulatory teams spend countless hours filling out customer questionnaires, and these questionnaires are long and more and more of them come in every day. And
Victoria: tedious, repetitive, And sometimes you don't know the answers.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): I, you know, I feel for the people that have to sit down, read these documents, then go and try to find the answers to each of these questions by just manually shuffling through a bunch of documents. That workflow can now be fully automated.
Victoria: Yeah.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): Now, not to put, you know, a commercial, you know, a Knowde commercial in here, but it does require, you know, structured clean data in order to be, be able to execute that sort of use case. But it's now possible. Whereas, a year ago that use case was not possible to solve. So it's, it's things like that, that get me really, really excited. you know, like I said at the top, you know, this industry. there's a lot of know-how that's trapped and, you know, because this industry is so technical, you have to have that know-how in order to be able to, like, make decisions. But if all of that knowledge now becomes transparent and you can access it really quickly. These companies can start to make decisions a lot faster and, you know, free up their time to go work on things that are much, much more value add. And it's gonna be interesting. I mean, there's certainly lots of interest in like applying this tech into r and d, and a lot of interest across like, you know, commercial use cases and some of the other things I already mentioned.
Victoria: Yeah. I love It, I think that's right. I think, I think the ab absolutely, simplifying the tedious work so that you can go do the value add is really critical.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): it, um, it it was not possible 18 months ago. It just like the, the, the tech didn't exist. It did not exist. and, you know, things have fundamentally changed.
Victoria: Yeah.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): um, You know, thi this isn't, you know what I'm about to say is not novel. It's, it's quite silly. But like, I think, when we look back on this in 20 years, you know, the impact of what's about to happen will be significantly, and, I mean, 30 x more impactful to our industry than, you know, everything that happened between, you know, 2000 and 2020.
Victoria: Yeah, I believe it. And in fact, if you, if you, if you look at the innovation curves, right? They, the pitch on them is steep. We're making dramatic changes and I think that's really cool. Alright, final question for you, Allie, which is, it's around leadership. So if you, you know, You've had a unique opportunity to. Frankly be at the front end of two digital companies inside the chemical industry. I'm not sure if you knew that was gonna be the case when you first started your career, but if you were looking back and you're, you're looking, talking to somebody, a young entrant, a young alley joining the chemical industry or looking to join a digital platform that is adjacent to in changing the chemical industry. Um, what advice would you give to that, to that person? Somebody just starting out in the industry?
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): You've gotta really want it. You've gotta really, really want it. you know, I've had an amazing time building Knowde for the past, you know, seven, eight years. Being a founder is something that I would. I, I think everyone should, you know, go experience at some point because, it, it causes you to like grow and it tests your persistence harder than anything you can imagine. and so, you know, in order to build something in markets like chemicals, where historically there's been a lot of resistance and a lot of risk aversion, a lot of like consensus driven thinking. You have to have an incredible amount of grit and persistence. And so for anybody that wants to come into a market like this one and try to change the way it works, be prepared. Um, be prepared because it, it, it, it's, um, it's a lot of work. It requires an amazing team, requires amazing investors that are willing to back you to no end. And it, you know, there, there's a reason why there hasn't been a lot of tech companies in the chemical industry. There's a reason this industry is opaque to most people. Most tech founders have never even heard of this industry. They, they, they don't know the first thing about it. and so coming into a market like this where it's just sort of, you know, hiding from. What's happening around the rest of the world? You, you've gotta build a team that has, a a lot of courage. You know, it's, it's a lot of persistent, a lot of courage. And, you know, our, internally, our, our first cultural principle is that, you have to believe in yourself against all reasonable logic and. it's because what we do is hard, you know, what we're doing is hard.
Victoria: Yeah, I love it. And that is a great way to end this. Allie, thank you so much. I've really enjoyed this conversation, um, and getting reconnected with you. So thanks for joining me today.
Ali Amin Javaheri (2): That's great. You, um, enjoyed the conversation as always.
Victoria: Absolutely, and thank you everyone for listening. Keep listening, keep following, keep sharing, and we will talk with you again soon.