Intro: This is for the sled dogs in the trenches. Real hockey parents, real stories. The Good and the Gong Show. No filters, no sugarcoating, no politics, just straight hockey talk, and the best guests around the barn. Welcome to the Crazy Hockey Dads Podcast. Alright, boys. Grind them corners, chirp responsibly, and bring that savage fire.
Scott: Alright, everybody. Welcome back to the Crazy Hockey Dads Podcast powered by Pacific Rink, the unfiltered podcast for hockey parents. No politics, no sugarcoating, just real talk for hockey parents in the trenches.
Jamie: That's right. And just in case you are wondering, it's episode 68.
Scott: It is. It is. It is. 68.
Jamie: Yes. And thank you to Big John Dangles for our sick intro. You can catch him at big john dangles.
Scott: At Instagram.
Jamie: Instagram. Instagram.
Scott: Instagram. Instagram. B j d.
Jamie: B j d. Bigjohn dangles. He has really funny stuff. This shit is very good.
Scott: Yeah. Those kids those are some mature kids on
Jamie: Dude, he does a nice job with that
Scott: stuff, man. I I don't know
Jamie: how he does that. He's a talented dude.
Scott: It is. You know, my, my kids were saying it. Were they? Yeah. Yeah.
Jamie: They were going to the, dude, it's catchy.
Scott: Yeah. No. It's so
Jamie: It gets super catchy. No. No doubt. Like, it's grown.
Scott: Like, when I first saw them, I was like, you you know, you kinda see it once and I was like, yeah, I kinda get the gist. But no, man. I I I
Jamie: You're down with it now?
Scott: Oh, You
Jamie: were always down. Yeah. But you're like really down with it? Not down. But now you're like really down with it.
Scott: Oh, it's it's it's creative.
Jamie: It's really good. It is, isn't it? And with our with our with our intro music and background, I think it's pretty legit. No doubt. Legiteness.
Scott: It is legitness.
Jamie: It is legitness.
Scott: You saw that video? Legiteness?
Jamie: To legitness to quitness?
Scott: No. Not that. To legit. There's some kid
Jamie: that said, like, a
Scott: skateboarding video from back in the day.
Jamie: Yeah? Yeah. Is that Bobby Brown, by the way?
Scott: Oh, too legit to quit?
Jamie: Yeah. Are you
Scott: thinking of Bobby Brown because of MC Hammer and those Geico commercials now?
Jamie: Sorry. It is MC Hammer. Fuck, dude. That was my bad.
Scott: No. I don't know that.
Jamie: Wait. Who's the too legit to quit?
Scott: Yeah. Too legit.
Jamie: It's not Bobby Brown. Too legit to quit. I think you're right. Think I think it is. Too legit. Right. I I was wrong. Right?
Scott: I'm pretty sure. Yeah. Look that up, Jamie.
Jamie: I am, bud.
Scott: Look at that. You've since we spoke last, you've figured out how to use both at the same time.
Jamie: I can't talk and type at the same time. It's not a skill of mine.
Scott: No. Oh, you'll get there.
Jamie: Not good at multitasking. Actually, that's not true. I actually am good at multitasking, just not that type of multitasking.
Scott: Where you have to, like, scratch your head and rub your belly?
Jamie: Yeah. I I know I know know I I've I've tried it. It doesn't work too often.
Scott: Not so good,
Jamie: For whatever reason. I am not bad at multitasking, even though men generally are not bad at it. I'm not awful at it. My ADHD is not helping. But normally, talking and typing at the same time, not a skill.
Scott: No. That's a no go.
Jamie: That's why I ask you to do it.
Scott: Yeah. Fair. Yeah. But I'm pretty sure I don't talk when I do it either.
Jamie: Probably not.
Scott: Anyway But
Jamie: yeah, that's my bet. Doesn't matter. Two legit to quit is not Bobby Brown.
Scott: You've the MC Hammer commercials.
Jamie: Yes. Yes. I have.
Scott: Yeah. Yes. Can't touch this. Unreal. I feel so old right now. Songwriter. I feel so old.
Jamie: But our our listeners are the same age.
Scott: Some of them are for
Jamie: I mean, obviously, I'm sure we have younger ones too, but like
Scott: Anyway Yeah. It doesn't matter.
Jamie: It doesn't. Yeah.
Scott: So where were we? We were just introing episode 68. That is true. Got partners to shout out.
Jamie: We do. Shout Crazy 10. If you guys need tape, laces, gear, Scott's favorite, the candle, my favorite, the sizzlers. You know? I mean, Stacy's son's favorite, the t shirt, the light blue t shirt. I mean, it's like, you can't go wrong with this stuff. Again, the logo is sick. Second second best in Youthaki next to ours. But they actually have some legit tapes, some legit laces. They have really good gear. The gear bag is awesome. Like, you could take put your your sharpening stones, your, you know, tape, yours whatever you got. You can stick in there. It's pretty legit. They're a really good company. So if you guys need any, go to howieshockey.com and use the code crazy 10 for 10% off your Howie's hockey gear.
Scott: Yo. You know what I will say about those, tape bags? Is they get heavy, dude.
Jamie: They do.
Scott: They get way too heavy. I think they need
Jamie: Sometimes too heavy.
Scott: Like Yeah. Sometimes. Sometimes
Jamie: Always. Pack too much into it.
Scott: Too heavy.
Jamie: It doesn't it doesn't like it.
Scott: Well, I think the bag
Jamie: is spotting. Seams a little bit.
Scott: But it starts to get it's it's like you're carrying that much extra weight.
Jamie: Bro, so you do you know what do you know what the remedy to that is? Because you're right. When you put too much into it, the bag kinda starts to fray and fall apart.
Scott: I've not experienced that yet.
Jamie: I have. Do you know what the answer to that is? Go buy a Pacific Rink one.
Scott: Oh, Pacific Rink also makes good gear.
Jamie: The Pacific Rink tape bag is pretty legit. Dom's had it in his bag literally for, like Ages. Like, seven years.
Scott: Yeah. Really? Wow. You're an early adopter.
Jamie: I am.
Scott: Early adopter.
Jamie: Yeah. And that's and it it's has not failed me.
Scott: Let's go. Giddy up.
Jamie: Yeah. So you guys go check out Pacific Rings stuff. They have phenomenal shit.
Scott: Yeah. They do.
Jamie: Yeah. Big fan. Big, big fan.
Scott: Yeah. Good good good call it
Jamie: on that You like
Scott: that one? Yeah. That was good.
Jamie: Not not to slight Howie's. Howie's is good. Don't get me wrong. Pacific Rings are a little better. Well It's a little bit.
Scott: You know? Yeah. Yeah. You know better than me.
Jamie: I do.
Scott: So on that note, let's talk about training,
Jamie: shall we?
Scott: Coach Kevin. Coach Kevin, the off season is upon us. The warmer days are not enough, I'll tell you that much, here in Northern Jersey, but bound to be plentiful. Nonetheless, anyone that's looking to yeah. It's a good plentiful. Right?
Jamie: That is good work.
Scott: Yeah. Sure. Yeah. It's accurate. Absolutely. Yeah.
Jamie: Good idea.
Scott: But for any parents out there that are looking for some solutions for your kids to get more reps in the off season and not get on the ice, check out hockeytraining.com. Coach Kevin has an extensive library of off ice drills to work on stick handling, speed strength, agility, all this off ice transfers directly to on ice performance. So check out hockeytraining.com. Look at coach Kevin that, was it hockey training h q on Instagram?
Jamie: Training h q.
Scott: Yep. Check it out. But, yeah, tons and tons and tons of stuff you you if you're a beer leaguer or you're a kid can get after in the off season. So check them out.
Jamie: That's right. And then what you should do is if you're a beer leaguer or you're a kid just doing some of the training, like, his off ice stuff, you should make sure that you do it in Titan battle gear, which is the safest base layer in hockey. So we trust our kids in Titan in Titan battle gear. We think it's the best protection for our kids. We think it has the most stylish, the kind of, what's the word I'm looking for here? Stylish. Stylish offerings. We do. You know, for our for our kids. I mean, they have some pretty sick, like, camo ones in a couple different colors. There's a black. There's a there's like a Splatter paint. The splatter paint is cool. Drip. The ice cream is very cool. They they also have what? You have you have
Scott: No. Go ahead then. I'll tell you.
Jamie: Well, I was gonna say The USA Hockey one is pretty legit too. They just kinda partner with USA Hockey. The USA Hockey one is sweet. The Miami one is sweet. Dom's got the Miami one. He's got one with the palm trees. They have really cool stuff.
Scott: Yeah. They do.
Jamie: So we trust our kids in Titan battle here. I know it's not cheap. However, it's the best protection on the market. We spend a lot of money in this game. Why not? You don't wanna short your kid when it comes to protection. You don't wanna have a run-in with a skate blade. Trust me. You don't wanna go down that road. I've seen some nasty things up close. If we can avoid it, let's avoid it. Go buy your kid's Titan battle gear. Use the code crazy dads 10 for 10% off your Titan battle gear. Go into our show notes. You'll see the link. It's titanbattlegear.com backslash crazy hockey dads. Go get your Titan battle gear today.
Scott: Woah. Woah. And I totally forgot what I was gonna say.
Jamie: You were gonna say oh, yeah. I you you were gonna say something.
Scott: I was.
Jamie: About the splatter paint? Was. Drip?
Scott: Splatter paint. The drip. Ice cream. You you ever watch Ali G? Not in a long time. Do you remember when he was interviewing Trump?
Jamie: No. You've brought this up to me before. Oh, dude. And I don't and I I think I meant I think I you told me to go watch it, I don't think I did.
Scott: Oh, that's
Jamie: pretty funny.
Scott: Oh, hysterical. Yeah. Yeah. Anyway, I'll
Jamie: send you had no idea he was basically being punked. Right?
Scott: I don't think so. Yeah. Yeah. And he was pitching him Ali G was pitching him a a new invention called an ice cream glove. That's insane. Problem of ice cream that drips down a cone and gets on your hand.
Jamie: You said that. Was Trump falling for it? Was he like I he like, yeah. It's a great product, or is he like, dude, this thing is shit. Like, what are you talking about?
Scott: No. I I think at one point, he was really, like I think he thought that this guy yeah. Maybe at first, and then and then he was like
Jamie: He figured it
Scott: out? I'm pretty sure if I remember correctly.
Jamie: Right. I'm gonna have to go watch it.
Scott: Just scream glove.
Jamie: You've mentioned that to me before. Fucking Ali g with Trump. Ali g was fucking When you say that, it makes me think of Borat.
Scott: Oh, yeah, it is. Yeah, it does.
Jamie: Like, with those interviews that he did?
Scott: Oh, they
Jamie: were The suit is black nut.
Scott: My wife.
Jamie: My brother Pillow.
Scott: Oh my god.
Jamie: You know what I'm talking about.
Scott: Right? Absolutely.
Jamie: So funny, dude. Oh. Let's see this black knot. Let's see this not black. The suit is black.
Scott: I don't know how that guy didn't get
Jamie: like Nat. He'll say, the suit is black. Nut. Nut. Yeah.
Scott: He would always have that kinda like
Jamie: Yeah. He did.
Scott: Thing going on.
Jamie: It's very funny.
Scott: Oh. Yeah. Anyway.
Jamie: Yeah. The dictator by him with him was phenomenal by the So You know?
Scott: So good. Anyhow Yes. So as we digress and, just giggle Sorry. Also also to round things out, let's not forget about athletic performance insight. Any managers, coaches out there that are thinking about video review and analytics for your team next season, maybe you haven't started it yet, you're looking for something to do it with, maybe you're unhappy with the current, you know, situation you got, check out athleticperformanceinsight.com. Go to the contact form, fill it out, reach out to Eric. He would be more than happy to do a demo Oh, yes. Of the platform with you and also break down a game for free so you can see all the analytics that come through with this platform. It's, you know, teams as young as mites all the way up to college programs use athletic performance insight for all of their team analytics, individual player analytics. So check it out, and take a look.
Jamie: Yeah. Eric's great. Well, like I said, I think I mentioned that we were using his platform this year. Yeah. You did. Our coaches jumped on it. Yep. Which is great.
Scott: That's amazing. Yeah. I'm excited. New users get 10% off a season subscription by mentioning $100 value. Crazy hockey dads.
Jamie: $100 value.
Scott: Yeah. Well, should probably dump We should spend
Jamie: that money on a specific ring tape bag, especially if you got a lot of stuff in it.
Scott: Tape tape bags get too heavy.
Jamie: That's what I'm saying. Specific ring ones very well, so it won't it will not break. You can load the shit out of it. And it
Scott: gets it actually gets lighter as you put more in there.
Jamie: It will not break. I mean, Dominic and I took our Pacific Ring stuff to Atlanta this weekend.
Scott: Yeah. I'm sure you did.
Jamie: We did.
Scott: Yeah. Yeah. Otto wears his backpack to school. Does he? Every day.
Jamie: Nice. Yeah. That's awesome.
Scott: Yeah. He loves it.
Jamie: Yeah. It travels with us wherever we go, which is awesome. It was fun, man. Reliable. So you we both were away this weekend.
Scott: Ish. You were more away than I was.
Jamie: Okay. Well, you didn't sleep in your house. Yes. So you were away?
Scott: That's true. I I'm just saying yours was further.
Jamie: You technically were in another state.
Scott: Listen, it checks a lot of the boxes. Right. And on paper,
Jamie: if you
Scott: were if you were not, savvy with local geography
Jamie: True.
Scott: You might be able to convince someone you were actually on vacation.
Jamie: Listen, you were probably about like seven miles from your house.
Scott: Right? Which made it easy.
Jamie: But you were in another state.
Scott: That's true.
Jamie: Technically, you were in a city, a big city. Yes. Mean, so you were away.
Scott: We were.
Jamie: Would you like to tell everybody where you were?
Scott: Yes. New York City. All the way from New Jersey.
Jamie: All the way from right over the bridge.
Scott: But you do. We do.
Jamie: The Scott is we're right over the bridge. Yeah. Like, right over. Like, we probably are about how how how far would you say we are from the GW right now?
Scott: Twelve minutes.
Jamie: I was gonna say right. Exactly. Twelve minutes. Very close. Yeah. Super close.
Scott: But no. Was cool. We, you know, we we kinda we went for it. Went to an escape room.
Jamie: I saw the picture.
Scott: To Korean barbecue. Yo. I gotta say, shout out Otto. And no What? The Korean barbecue? No. For trying new stuff.
Jamie: The food or the escape room?
Scott: No. The escape room, he was he he was hot That was like mission impossible stuff. It was like, you know, his participation. No. Didn't
Jamie: have we didn't have mission impossible. Yep. Well, he I mean, he was, like, crawling under laser beams. That's if that's not mission impossible, it would
Scott: be nice. You know? Yes. Yes. Yes. Right? I now I see the connection there. Yes. No. He was doing that. Yeah. No. But he
Jamie: It was on our Instagram. When we
Scott: were at Korean barbecue, you've ever gone or for those that haven't, like, give you all these sides.
Jamie: I have not.
Scott: Oh, it's good.
Jamie: I have not done Korean barbecue.
Scott: So they give you, like, these, like, side salads that, you know, that kinda line the table. And they're all different types of cold appetizers. Right.
Jamie: It looked good from what I saw in the pictures.
Scott: Yeah. But some of them have like, you know, different flavors that you're not we don't grow up with here. Right. And my auto one for said, here, try this. And he goes, what is that? I go, it's kimchi. And he goes, what's it like? So I got it. It's definitely a little spicy. So Mhmm. Be prepared. But it's like, you know, kinda Isn't
Jamie: kimchi like a like a not to say a lettuce,
Scott: but Cabbage.
Jamie: Like a cabbage. Right. Exactly. Right. Okay.
Scott: Got it. It's like fermented.
Jamie: Right. It's like I don't wanna say coleslaw. It's not coleslaw, but it's like right. Like cabbage.
Scott: Right? It's like pickled and it's like spicy and all that stuff, but it's definitely got like different flavors.
Jamie: He liked it?
Scott: He thought it was okay. He he would I mean, he would definitely try it again. But the point is that I would just like
Jamie: He's trying new stuff.
Scott: He was trying to use like fresh tofu with like
Jamie: Hardly a kid is trying
Scott: to sesame with like this sesame dressing and he was like black sesame dressing. Okay. Got down with that.
Jamie: Did he like any of it?
Scott: There was nothing he oh, mushrooms too? He was like trying different kinds of mushrooms. Like
Jamie: grilled or like
Scott: Grilled. They weren't cooked enough. I
Jamie: They were a little squishy inside?
Scott: Yeah. Which is fine. If you like mushrooms, but if you don't like mushrooms, it's they're usually better if they're more like crispy and Yeah.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. I'm with you.
Scott: Anyway. Okay.
Jamie: But he ate them.
Scott: Anyway, he tried all the things and it was some of it he likes, some of he didn't. He was just like down to try stuff. I was like, dude, that's pretty good on you, man.
Jamie: I mean, it's hard to get kids to change their stick, let alone try new foods. Yeah. You know, so that's impressive it did. I mean, again, from the pictures, it looked like you had guys had some, like meat was cooking on the table there.
Scott: Yeah. Was.
Jamie: Right? Yeah. What's that place called? Do you remember what it's
Scott: Yeah. It's
Jamie: like Mimi or something like that?
Scott: No. Oh, mommy? Mom. No. That's a local place here.
Jamie: Oh, got it. And you guys went for ice cream, right?
Scott: We went for ice cream last Yeah. That last night.
Jamie: The escape room looked cool.
Scott: The escape room was cool. Food was good. Yeah. It was good.
Jamie: You guys saved the Mona Lisa?
Scott: We did. We saved the Mona Lisa. We actually got out with less than five minutes.
Jamie: Was it? Yeah. Did you have forty five minutes in there? One hour. Oh, no shit.
Scott: Yeah. One hour.
Jamie: Are you
Scott: doing them?
Jamie: I have not. Oh. It's funny. Almost them a couple times. We stayed in a hotel last summer that had its own escape rooms Yeah. Which is pretty sweet. Yeah. We did not do them though. I wanted to.
Scott: It's pretty cool.
Jamie: But we didn't do them.
Scott: It's pretty cool.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. I think it's very cool. Yeah. So you guys got out.
Scott: We got out.
Jamie: So let me ask you a question. Who triggered the laser beams to come across the, the room? Were they there when you walked in?
Scott: No. They weren't there, but they
Jamie: So you did something to trigger them? Yes. So what did you do to trigger them?
Scott: I think we entered a code into like a keypad. Okay. And then poof.
Jamie: And all of a sudden the laser rings came on?
Scott: Yes. Either that or we entered in like I don't know. It doesn't matter.
Jamie: Was Otto was Otto blindfolded doing that? No. Oh, because you were like talking him through it.
Scott: Oh, because he couldn't see like from behind like if he was gonna like stick his leg through one of the lasers.
Jamie: Got it. Got it. Got it. Got it.
Scott: Yeah. But he he he got tripped up the first time. He see he like
Jamie: He set it off?
Scott: He set it off.
Jamie: And they reset it?
Scott: Yeah. And then when you do something, you reset it. And there was a second try. He got through.
Jamie: Oh, he oh, nice. Yeah. Okay. Oh, so they give you a second try.
Scott: Yep. You'd have as many as you wanted, actually.
Jamie: I guess that makes sense. Yeah. Otherwise They want you to have a good experience, not to, like,
Scott: just You're just sitting there
Jamie: and like Get me the fuck out of here. Can you imagine? Can you imagine if you're there like
Scott: Sorry. We can't help you.
Jamie: Because you know they're watching and listening to you. You're like, dude, are we done yet? Well Can you open the door? Like, I don't really give a shit about the Mona Lisa. Just open the door.
Scott: Yeah. This is so boring.
Jamie: I'm I'm guaranteeing there's people that do that. They're like, just get me out of
Scott: probably.
Jamie: Right? Like I think
Scott: you have to have a pretty bad attitude.
Jamie: You do have to have a bad
Scott: attitude. Unless you're legitimately cla get claustrophobic for some reason, but it's not even like
Jamie: Wasn't a small room? Wasn't like No.
Scott: But I'm just trying to think of why else someone would like Yeah. Have to get unless it's like a bathroom.
Jamie: What were some of the other rooms you could have chosen?
Scott: Oh, jeez. There was like the other well
Jamie: So that was the modalistic
Scott: haunted house type stuff. There was like Scooby Doo.
Jamie: Okay. Got it.
Scott: There was other types of like murder, thrill.
Jamie: Okay.
Scott: And we we there's only there's only two options that weren't like extremely difficult and Oh, were there were levels of of difficulty.
Jamie: Yeah. Okay. So these were kid friendly and not terribly difficult?
Scott: It was like, I don't know, three out of five
Jamie: difficulty. So it was
Scott: mid. Mid.
Jamie: Okay.
Scott: Yeah. It was mid. It's
Jamie: not bad.
Scott: No. No. It was good.
Jamie: Nice. You guys did one. Right? Just one escape room?
Scott: Yeah. Know. There there was not enough bandwidth for From multiple. Yeah. Getting a little hangry. Needed needed to needed to switch gears on that one.
Jamie: Yeah. Understood.
Scott: But it was good.
Jamie: You guys went to eat after that,
Scott: I'm assuming. We did. Sweet. Yeah.
Jamie: And that's when we went to the Korean barbecue joint?
Scott: That's exactly right.
Jamie: Nice, man.
Scott: You you know, you're just piecing these I'm assuming. Like
Jamie: you can just like I don't know. I I was not Freaking.
Scott: I'm just You're sleuth. You're a sleuth.
Jamie: Again, just assuming. Uh-huh. Not sure about the sleuth thing, but just assuming.
Scott: Really taking those little nuggets of information and piecing it together. You
Jamie: Not exactly sharp one. Not exactly Sherlock Holmes. Was just guessing. You. You. You. You're good, you. You.
Scott: About you?
Jamie: Shoots the pillow. He goes, you feel better? Yeah. I do.
Scott: It sounds like, what's his face from a Who? What's selling?
Jamie: Do you know who it is?
Scott: Wow. Pesci. Close. It wasn't Joe Pesci?
Jamie: No. It was that was from Analyze This. Oh, that was With
Scott: De Niro?
Jamie: Billy Crystal and Robert De Niro. Yeah. You. You're good, you.
Scott: You. Billy Crystal's a name that we have in that's mean, he's doesn't come up too often.
Jamie: He's pretty goddamn funny.
Scott: Yeah. But that's what he's kind of a
Jamie: sleeper a little bit. A 100% he's a sleeper.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: I mean, what were those movies? Shit. Whether it was Three
Scott: Minute a Baby?
Jamie: Was he in Three Minute and a Baby? Oh, yeah. Ted Danson
Scott: Billy Crystal.
Jamie: And who else was in that movie?
Scott: I don't know. The other one I don't remember.
Jamie: Tom Selleck?
Scott: Tom Selleck.
Jamie: Is that right?
Scott: I think so.
Jamie: Billy Crystal was the third? Are you sure about that?
Scott: No. Maybe maybe
Jamie: I'm Definitely confused Tom Selleck. Who's the third? Are we wrong about this? Wow. 1987. I know the answer to that. Oh, no. Bro, that's that's do you know who that is? From from bro, come on. That's Steve Gutenberg.
Scott: Steve Gutenberg.
Jamie: From Police Academy.
Scott: Yes. Police Academy.
Jamie: I mean like
Scott: Come on. Tell me he's not a ringer for Billy.
Jamie: Definitely not. No.
Scott: No. No? Yeah. Okay. So I was wrong.
Jamie: Yeah. But but I mean, good movie, Three Men and a Baby. Yeah. Mean, well, I mean, dude, tell me Tom Selleck's stash is not so on point.
Scott: Yeah. Tom Selleck's, he's legit.
Jamie: I mean, dude, his mustache was so on point back then.
Scott: Dude, it's fierce. Look at this guy.
Jamie: Like some your sleepers could could not like I mean, even today, look at him. Even today
Scott: Is that today?
Jamie: Yeah, man. Look at him.
Scott: What a stab.
Jamie: He does not look bad. You know? But Bill Billy Crystal, you're right. Billy Crystal was in those movies where he went out west with Curly. What are they called? There were two of them. Help me. Wow. Is that Billy Crystal today? No. I was gonna say, who's that?
Scott: Chief of Stafford.
Jamie: What is that? Some politician. What's what what is the movie where you went out west? Help me.
Scott: City Slickers.
Jamie: Thank you. Yes. Thank you. Analyze this. Analyze this. Was funny.
Scott: The Princess
Jamie: Bride. And he was the he was the small guy in Monsters Inc.
Scott: When Harry met Sally.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. He was good. No. He was definitely good. Big baseball fan.
Scott: Yeah? Yeah. Alright. Good for him.
Jamie: Yeah. So anyway.
Scott: Anyhow, enough
Jamie: of So you had you had a nice weekend in the city.
Scott: Yeah. It was a good weekend. Nice. Yeah. How about you?
Jamie: Good. Flew down to Atlanta Thursday morning early. Yeah. You know, it's a domino there pretty early. So went down for it was my cousin's son's graduation from high school.
Scott: He passed out of 31 flavors last night.
Jamie: Hold on. Don't tell me the movie.
Scott: Oh, come on.
Jamie: Ferris Bueller.
Scott: Yeah. Sorry. You really had
Jamie: a good Sorry. I I There's no way. Sorry. Brain crap. Brain crap. Oh my god. You're really dying, aren't you? Brain know. Crap. Like, He's oh my god. You're really dying. He's like, how's your bod? Rooney. Furious. Furious. How's your bod? Rooney. Roll. Roll bones on down here. Oh. Ed. Very movie. The
Scott: shoot that that's so funny.
Jamie: He loves it more than life itself. He wipes it down with a diaper. It is his fault. He did not lock the garage. Exactly. Anyway, so, yeah. So we went to Atlanta for the weekend. It was nice. Shout out Andrew, my cousin Ali's son. Andrew graduated from high school and is going to the University of South Carolina, which is pretty sweet. Yeah. So we went down Gamecocks? They are. Yeah. So we went down to, to Alpharetta just just outside of Atlanta. It was nice.
Scott: Sweet.
Jamie: It was, yeah. We went for, like, three days, four days. It was nice.
Scott: Nice. It was a
Jamie: good time.
Scott: Good. Well, so what do you I know you went to see a Braves game. What else did get up to?
Jamie: We did. Dom and I went to see a Braves game. We didn't have a whole lot of time.
Scott: Uh-huh.
Jamie: We Yeah. Flew in really early Thursday morning, like, AM.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: So we got there at, like, 08:15. So, went to the hotel. It wasn't ready. I did a little bit of work in the lobby for, like, I don't know, forty five minutes an hour. Tom was pretty good about me doing that. He found something to do. Went and had something to eat, then my mother and and my stepfather came down. Like, they were there at, like, noon, something like that.
Scott: Right on.
Jamie: So we went out to lunch with them. What did we do that first day? Why am I drawing a blank? We did something that first day. Went out to eat.
Scott: It wasn't the game?
Jamie: No. That was Friday night. Went to the game was Friday night. Domino went to Thursday morning. Yeah. Yeah. Friday night. Yeah. I forgot what we did on Thursday. Anyway oh, I know what we did. We saw my my mother's cousins on my mom's side. Nice. My uncle Jeff's kids. So we saw that that was a big table. That was like like 17 of us.
Scott: Oh, wow.
Jamie: Something like that. It's a big big group. Wow. Yeah. They have a big family. My my two cousins have a big family. So so Carly and Lauren have and their kids came. It was cool. It was nice.
Scott: That's awesome.
Jamie: Yeah. It was nice. Good to see them and and their husbands. Wow. Had kids in ages. They were asking about you. Kids are getting big.
Scott: Their kids?
Jamie: Are getting big.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: Yeah. They were asking about you.
Scott: Oh, yeah?
Jamie: They brought up the podcast.
Scott: Oh, yeah. Right.
Jamie: So Lauren so I pulled up our well, she pulled up her Instagram or somebody pulled up her Instagram. And she's like, oh my god, that's Scott. I haven't seen him in years. She's like, sorry. And she looks at her husband, sorry Ricardo. She's like, I thought I was gonna marry him back then. That's what she said to Ricardo. She's like, sorry Ricardo. Ricardo's an awesome dude. So is Curtis, Carly's husband. My other cousin's But but yeah, it it was fun. And you know what else really funny, bro? So, like, so we had dinner with them. Was really nice. It was good seeing them, and we wound up and then we left. And then later on, Carly's like Carly's like she's like, Jamie. She's like, I came home. She's like, and I was talking to a friend of mine whose family their kids play ice hockey. Uh-huh. She's like and I said, oh, you should go listen to my cousin. My cousin has a podcast with his good buddy. Like, you should go listen to his podcast. And they're like, what is it? And she told them, and they already listened to it.
Scott: That was what's
Jamie: up. How funny is that, dude? That's Atlanta, Georgia.
Scott: Yeah, man.
Jamie: So, I mean, we are in all 50 states, but, like, it's when you when it, like, hits home, it's pretty fucking nuts.
Scott: RIP Atlanta thrashers.
Jamie: Seriously, I'm assuming one's gonna come back because the sports situation down there is pretty on point. Yeah. I mean, the the arena that the Falcons play in, the Mercedes Benz is very legit. The old Turner Field is now a college stadium. Truist Park where the Braves play is very legit. They did a fucking ridiculous job.
Scott: How old is that building?
Jamie: I think it's very new. I I know. It's
Scott: it's How does it compare to Yankee Stadium?
Jamie: You know, that's actually a really good question. I wanna say Yankee Stadium is like is the Yankee Stadium fifteen years old?
Scott: Which one do you like more?
Jamie: Oh, you're asking which I like more. Yeah. That's a good question. So Yankee Stadium has more mystique.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: Right? Because it's Yankee Stadium. I mean, you know, Braves are one stuff, but it's not Yankee Stadium. Right? So the Braves truest park opened in 2017.
Scott: Alright.
Jamie: It was good. Well, there were some pretty cool places to eat. There is this thing called it's a nice facility, and the area around it is like they built they did a really it's almost like Patriot Place up in New England where the Patriots play. They did like a nice job of like bars and restaurants around it.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: It's actually really nice. It's not in the city, it's in the suburbs. Yep. It's like its own little area. So it's cool. The food there was good. There's this thing called the bat flip.
Scott: Okay.
Jamie: Okay? Which is like a hamburger on steroids.
Scott: Okay. Like As like it's a giant hamburger. Fucking enormous. Really?
Jamie: It's got like brisket on it and multiple patties.
Scott: Wait. Is it Jalapenos. Like Is it the same size as a normal burger and just taller?
Jamie: It's pull it up, pull up the bat flip.
Scott: Pull that up, Jamie.
Jamie: Well, you pull up the I want you to see it. So if I pull up my computer, you can't see it. Oh. So if you pull up the bat flip, we were going to get it. It's a $100 hamburger.
Scott: Oh, yeah?
Jamie: Yeah. We were gonna get it, but it's for four people. I mean, how stupid would we have looked? I wanted to get it in the worst way.
Scott: Holy fuck.
Jamie: It's big. It's like seven inches tall.
Scott: You should have gotten it. Why did you not get it? Because I spoke
Jamie: to the lady, I'm like I'm can you tell me about the bat flip? She said, yeah. She said, it's great. She's like, it's for four people. And I'm like, I look at Dominic, I'm like, dude, like, can't bring this home. Like, what are we gonna do with this thing?
Scott: You you have an experience. That's what's that is what you do with it.
Jamie: I was going to we wound up getting other stuff there like chicken fingers, which were not as good as Yankee Stadium. Tom, you know, but then we got like other Wait.
Scott: Did they have ice cream chicken? No. That's this is already down. No. Down. Down.
Jamie: No ice cream chicken.
Scott: Down in the rankings without ice
Jamie: cream chicken. Gonna lie. We walked around the entire ballpark. It's a pretty ballpark. Don't get me wrong.
Scott: No ice cream chicken.
Jamie: No ice cream chicken.
Scott: Not okay.
Jamie: Not like Yankee Stadium. The food was good. Yep. You know, like they had some things that were decent. The bat flip would have been very cool, but again, it was enormous. Like, what am I gonna do with that?
Scott: You just You do your best. You do your best. That's what you do.
Jamie: Well, maybe we should have.
Scott: You just do your best.
Jamie: To be honest with you, I didn't wanna throw up during the game either.
Scott: Well, listen. Doing your best would be also not throwing up.
Jamie: True. Very true. So, Dom did like ice cream and he did like, what else he did? He did like, like other stuff. Okay. You know, he did like other stuff there. He had he got like a bat, like a I think it's on it was on Instagram. He's got like it's like a plastic bat and the top pops off and they fill it with popcorn. Oh. That was cool. It was, country music night.
Scott: Oh, yes. You got your country hats.
Jamie: So we walked in and we got like You guys were looking styled. Atlanta Braves cowboy hats, with the Atlanta Braves logo on the front of it. Again, I'm not a Braves fan, but it was cool. It it's just cool to go to another ballpark.
Scott: No doubt.
Jamie: You know? So and it was a nice park. They did a nice job. I mean, the place was jamming.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: Good. Yeah. And it was like like it wanted to rain, but it didn't, which was great.
Scott: So probably the temperature was down?
Jamie: It wasn't awful. Yeah. Was like
Scott: 70 Overcast.
Jamie: It was overcast. That's nice. Yep. Nice. Is. Overcast. Yeah. It was a 07:00 start. It was nice, to be honest with you. It was cool. It was a nice experience. The ballpark is nice.
Scott: That's awesome, man.
Jamie: So I mean, again, I like walking around and seeing like all the stuff there. So it was cool. That was fun.
Scott: Would melt all this stuff.
Jamie: You would melt all this stuff. Right. Yeah. So it was good. So we bounced around Atlanta for a couple days. Dude, so I'm driving. We're driving, like, in Alpharetta.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: It's where my cousin lives.
Scott: Yeah. Oh, I know what you're gonna say.
Jamie: And I passed this place.
Scott: And what's it called?
Jamie: The Hockey Barn.
Scott: Get the
Jamie: f out of here. So I it was not open. I googled it. It's opening really soon. And it's a training facility in Alpharetta, Georgia. I think it's like a small sheet of ice, very similar to like cutting edge by us. Smaller, I don't think it's a full sheet, I could be wrong. I didn't spend too much time on their site because they were closed. But the place looks legit. I don't know where there's hockey rinks right now. I'm assuming they're somewhere since Carly's Friends Kids Play.
Scott: Right. Right.
Jamie: My cousin Carly's Friends Kids Play. Who who listen to our podcast? Everybody see it? Yeah. So it's a training facility, like an all in one training facility. I wanted to actually interview the guy who owns it.
Scott: It says early June.
Jamie: Right. It's coming soon. Yeah. I mean, early June is like next week, by by the way. So? So I would have loved for it to be open. I would have walked in there and actually talked to the guy.
Scott: So It's pretty sick.
Jamie: Yeah. It looks good. Right? You know, so so hockey is alive and well in Alpharetta. Yeah, man. It was fun. It was a nice weekend.
Scott: Good stuff, dude.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. So it was good. Good food. We had a really nice breakfast place, a place called the Nest Cafe. Legit. Ethiopian coffee.
Scott: Yeah. No doubt.
Jamie: Apparently, pretty legit.
Scott: It is very legit.
Jamie: My mother was like, oh my god. This is best coffee I've ever had.
Scott: What is it?
Jamie: So she asked the lady. She's like, it's Ethiopian.
Scott: It's Ethiopian.
Jamie: Didn't know that. Not a coffee drink.
Scott: Very fruity.
Jamie: Is that right?
Scott: Yes. It's good.
Jamie: My mother drinks black.
Scott: Yeah. Me too. You do? It's good for black coffee because it definitely has character.
Jamie: She said that.
Scott: Yeah. A 100%. Like a legit. And if you put milk in it, like you lose those like the nuance of the
Jamie: I'm pretty sure Bob, my stepfather, puts milk in his and sugar, but my mother turns it black.
Scott: She's like Your mom knows what's up.
Jamie: She was she was impressed. Yeah. And my mother does not get impressed by coffee easily. Wow. She said it was legit.
Scott: Yeah. That's great.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. So the place was good. Like, if I lived there, I would go to that place frequently. Food was tremendous. Like, the food was very on point.
Scott: At the Nest?
Jamie: The Nest Cafe in Alpharetta. Downtown Alpharetta. Mhmm. Yeah. It was good. It was legit.
Scott: I'm looking that up. Alright. Nice,
Jamie: dude. Yeah. You would like it with your palate, being the chef that you are. Yes. You would actually appreciate that place. It was impressive.
Scott: I see them. Happy for you.
Jamie: I had like the tree of life smoothie every day, which was like honey, kale, apple, what else? I don't know. Whatever it was in it. It was good. I had that little egg white omelet with, like, tomatoes, American cheese.
Scott: Oh, look at
Jamie: you. You know, you know,
Scott: was Trying to eat
Jamie: healthy. Trying.
Scott: Yeah. It
Jamie: was good,
Scott: though. Good.
Jamie: It was good. Yeah. So, yeah. So we were down in Atlanta, bouncing around for a couple days. A lot of fun. Graduation party was great. Again, congratulations, Andrew. Excited for him to go to South Carolina. Hopefully, he winds up kicking ass there.
Scott: Play some hockey over there. Where? South Carolina. Yeah. South Carolina.
Jamie: Who does?
Scott: They have a club team.
Jamie: They do? Yeah. You're talking about South Carolina?
Scott: Yeah. Do they really? Yeah. I'm almost a 100% sure. There's a guy that I skate with sometimes and his son
Jamie: I did not know that.
Scott: I am pretty sure.
Jamie: No shit.
Scott: Because he would because his son would come and skate with us sometimes and he had like a
Jamie: Okay.
Scott: Game. Yeah. I'm pretty sure.
Jamie: Really? Alright. That's awesome. It's an it it was a it's it's a very cool area. It's a very cool area.
Scott: South Carolina Gamecock Club Hockey.
Jamie: Oh, it is? Okay. Yeah. So it is.
Scott: 100% the cocks. Who would have thought?
Jamie: That's what their club team is called? That's they call their club team the cocks?
Scott: It says cock hockey. I mean
Jamie: They couldn't think of anything better than that.
Scott: I'm just telling you what it said.
Jamie: I mean
Scott: cockhockey.com.
Jamie: Oh, lord. An awful name. Or That is awful. Or brilliant. I True? Fair. Fair. I mean, it's fair. You can
Scott: just go to my website. Cockhockey.com. Check me out online.
Jamie: Jesus Christ. Okay. Listen. Whatever works. I'm listen. I'm sure
Scott: Go cox.
Jamie: Oh, god. Yeah. So so yeah. So Andrew is going there. So congratulations, buddy. Hope he does well there.
Scott: Yeah. Go check out a club hockey So
Jamie: I think he will.
Scott: Yeah. Go go go go see the club hockey team play.
Jamie: Listen. I bet you it's a spectacle.
Scott: No. Listen. I don't know. I'm sure it's good.
Jamie: I think I I well, we've talked many times that I think that the the SEC is coming with hockey. Well Like, it's coming. It's coming. Division one hockey is coming with the SEC.
Scott: Yeah. Well There's no
Jamie: question about it because people go to that shit all the time, don't they?
Scott: Let's hope.
Jamie: So yeah. So, yeah. So that's it was a fun weekend.
Scott: Good, man.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. You know? Would you any hockeying on your end?
Scott: Hockeying, shooting pucks in the driveway.
Jamie: Same, dude.
Scott: Same. Shooting pucks in the driveway. Hockey wise, no.
Jamie: Waiting school to What? Waiting for school to end. End. No. He's got a couple weeks left.
Scott: No. Hockey's got practice. He had practice last week.
Jamie: We're done.
Scott: He has practice this week. Okay. And he's got a couple more practices, but we'll see.
Jamie: Okay. Nice.
Scott: Yeah. It's all good. He you know, the other night at practice, have to say, because I just wanna too many times am I complaining about things either to myself or others. Mhmm. And I will say that the other night of practice just to give him a shout out. He was he he he looked
Jamie: at He was on point?
Scott: He was on point. Yeah. And it was and it was like not just you know, I don't know him trying to
Jamie: You were watching practice?
Scott: Yeah. Well, yes, I did. Yeah. I stopped in. I probably watched like fifteen minutes.
Jamie: Okay.
Scott: About fifteen minutes when I got there, but
Jamie: Not bad.
Scott: No. But just even like defensively, so he was like, they're doing a drill, whatever. He forechecked really hard. Just kept his very active stick, like getting it into lanes. Like, just things that
Jamie: Isn't it funny when they actually do? Don't they look different?
Scott: You know what? That's and and part of it part the frustration
Jamie: No. You don't have to tell me.
Scott: Part of the frustration is that, like, it's obviously if if I didn't think he could be better, I wouldn't get as frustrated.
Jamie: I understand it.
Scott: Do think he can.
Jamie: And course he can. Therefore, I do. I understand it. Yeah. And he will in due time. Or not. No. He will.
Scott: Well, probably,
Jamie: but Well, I would think might not. He might not, but I think the I think the arrow points to he will. Right? I mean, they're just consistently inconsistent like we say all the time. Yeah. Right? But when you see them do, you're like, holy shit. The problem is the consistency.
Scott: Yeah. And that's you know, there was something that I Right. Either listened to or read and was like, it goes in both directions, but you shouldn't base your your kid's baseline shouldn't be at like when they're peaking.
Jamie: Agreed.
Scott: You know what
Jamie: I mean?
Scott: You can't you can't look at that and say, like, that's the new standard.
Jamie: You have said this before. Right. You're a 100%
Scott: right. And you can't do it in the converse either. No. No. You have a miserable game that's that's not like Somewhere in between how bad. No doubt.
Jamie: Right? Somewhere in between the top and the bottom. Right. It floats somewhere within that band. Right? No. It's good. I'm glad to do well. Does he have a lot more practice left, or he's done soon?
Scott: I know. I have to look at the the app thing. Yeah. He can't have that many more. Maybe he got two more, three more. I don't know. Three
Jamie: tops. Okay. Nice.
Scott: Yeah. Alright. Good. Sonny, that's what I got.
Jamie: Nice, man. I like
Scott: it. Yeah, dude.
Jamie: Sweet. And I know we, we have a a guest today, who's gonna talk some some college kind of he's more of a he he is a I guess what you can call a say like a recruiting specialist. He's like a maybe he's like a recruit. He he advises families on if your kid wants to play college sports, he advises families how to go about doing that. Right? Right? That's his thing. He's been an AD in in division three hockey not hockey, would love to say hockey. Division three basketball for how many years? A long time.
Scott: A very long time. Decades.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. So Keith Mondillo is our guest today. He is and we brought him on because of the NIL. Right? NIL money, and we wanna talk some NIL money. And also recruiting, and he talks about the recruiting process a lot, which is great.
Scott: Right. And that that's that's his big thing is he just like college recruitment process. Yes. While he's not necessarily a hockey guy
Jamie: Right.
Scott: He's very plugged into all of that, and he sheds a lot of light on there.
Jamie: Yes. He talks very intelligently about the college process of NIL money and, you know, pay players being paid and the and the recruiting process that has been changing pretty rapidly.
Scott: Yes.
Jamie: You know, we need we need to have him on again because we had him on before the five for five rule came out.
Scott: Oh, it's true.
Jamie: Which we're gonna talk about with Jimmy Dowd on Thursday night.
Scott: Oh, good.
Jamie: Live
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: On Instagram. 8PM people. Do not miss it.
Scott: Good plug.
Jamie: Right? So yeah. So Keith is is very good in the recruiting space. He kinda helps families kind of, you know, navigate kind of what we do here. He helps families navigate the recruiting process. He's got a lot of information. You guys go check out his, his YouTube channel. What is his YouTube channel?
Scott: Yeah. That's a good question. I'm just, Keith keithmondillo.com is his website. That's Right. Keithmondillo. That's keithmondillo.com. As far as his, YouTube that I am it's, youtube.com backslash at sign Keith Mondillo.
Jamie: Yeah. He's great.
Scott: Yep. Yeah.
Jamie: Keith's great.
Scott: Is, and he he as advertised here, a college recruiting coach.
Jamie: Right. Yep. Right. He's very he's very he's very plugged into kinda what's going on on Capitol Hill with, like, Trump, you know, putting together like a, like a task force to, like, kind of, I wanna say, college hockey. I keep saying college hockey. College sports in general. Mhmm. You know? So he's really plugged in. So like I said, we gotta get him back for some, for some five for five stuff.
Scott: No doubt. You know? Well, anyway, let's, what do think? We kick it over to Keith?
Jamie: After you, bud.
Scott: Alright. Everyone enjoy the interview. Keith Mondillo.
Jamie: Let's rock
Scott: and roll. Alright, everybody. Welcome to our next interview with Keith Mondillo, NCAA head basketball coach at Gwyneth Mercy University as well as their athletic director. Excuse me. Keith, welcome to the show, man.
Jamie: Thank you very much for having me, Scott and Jamie. I appreciate it.
Scott: Oh, it's our pleasure. And, you know, one of the things that we're super excited to to talk about today is something other than hockey, even though that's what we mostly talk about. But it's gonna be really interesting to hear, you know, a lot about basketball today and anything else that, you know, you get involved with as the athletic director. But, yeah, I'd love to for you if you could just share your current roles and responsibilities to kinda set the table, and we'll we'll go from there.
Jamie: So I currently in my thirty first year at the same university at Gwinnett Mercy. Wow. I was very young. I was about 24, and I became the head women's basketball coach. Prior to that, I was our head baseball coach at a place down the road, another division three school called Arcadia University. So I played both. I played basketball and baseball at the division three level, but just finished my thirty first year at Gwinnett, twenty eighth as the athletic director. And if I had to rewrite everything all over again, I'd probably do it all over again. It's been a pleasure. Again, we don't we don't have ice hockey, but I'm a Flyer fan as we talked about prior to this. And, you know, I could probably talk hockey all day. But, you know, as an NCAA division three member, I was lucky enough to be a part of a lot of national committees. I was on the women's basketball selection committee for division three. So on the national rules committee for women's basketball. Being a part of the committee that moved back to three point line was kinda something special, but no. I mean, that's basically it. Been and we're we're located right outside of Philadelphia. So our campus is probably twenty minutes from the border of Philadelphia, maybe about thirty five minutes from Center City Philadelphia. Okay. Sure.
Scott: Got it. And and I also wanted to shout out. So you're also the author of the athletic recruiting road map series. Is that correct?
Jamie: Yeah. It was it's a sci thing. I've been helping families for thirty one years in recruiting just organically, you know, especially as my my kids, my own children who are freshmen and sophomores in college, growing up playing high school sports, you would get all the same questions over and over. My wife, who she's a nurse practitioner by trade. She goes, why don't you just formalize it and and put together like a little side consulting business? And for about a year or so, you know, did some research. Had always had an outline of a book in mind, and it turned into that. And it just kinda spawned into what it is today. And it's legitimately a side thing, but it's fun. I mean, I could talk recruiting all day. I love helping families out. That's the whole idea is I got into this just to help families. Because they like, they had no idea where to start, when to start, who to talk to, how to talk to them. But it's something that just happens organically. You know, it's funny. We kinda started this podcast for very similar reasons to help families out and to help, you know, parents deal with their kids when their kids are kinda going through the youth hockey process. So yeah. No. I get it. I'm curious. You know, even though you're a basketball guy, Keith, you know, the recruiting process, whether it's ice hockey for college or whether it's, you know, women's basketball for college, you know, very similar stuff, plus the NIL stuff is real in the game today. You know? So I I guess we'll start with with the recruiting process, if you don't mind, since you're since, you know, you've written books on it, so you're the best person to talk to. You know you know, what's the what would you say are the biggest things that parents get wrong, you know, when it comes to, you know, their kid wanting to play college basketball or college ice hockey? Because they're gonna be the same things. What what do they get wrong, you know, when they go through the process? Well, let me back up first, but even though I'm a basketball guy, I think I told you this before, I was a mean street hockey player when I fell in love. Yes. You did. Yes. And That's right. To all your viewers out there, I'm a Philly Flyer, Sixer, and Eagle fan, but I I bleed orange and black. He's a big hockey guy. Big hockey guy. Live ice hockey is probably one of the greatest sports to watch in person. No argument. No argument. It's a phenomenal game. But Jamie, seriously, that being said, I think the biggest mistake any family you could pick the sport, and I see it a lot obviously in basketball, but it's families waiting to reach out to coaches. I think they think if, hey, if I play and I train and I go to these tournaments, someone will notice me. And I use this example and I I don't know what the ice hockey equivalent would be, but when I go to recruiting events, I go to like the Atlantic City Convention Center, and I'm not kidding you, there's 40 to 50 indoor courts. There's a place in Lancaster called Spooky Nook, and there's about 27 to 30 indoor courts. So I always say, how if your son or daughter is legitimately a good player and and they wanna play in college, how am I supposed to find out who they are, where they're playing when you're playing on Court 32 at 9AM in the morning? Yeah. You can't be anywhere. Right. So I get to your original question. The biggest mistake they do is waiting to reach out to coaches. And at any level, whether you're a division one recruit or a division three recruit, coaches are inherently busy. And most of the kids that when I go to these tournaments and I'm not going, and I'm wandering 40 courts hoping to discover somebody. It does happen time to time, but I'm going with the list of either people we saw as sophomores. That you already are that you already know. Oh, we already know. Yeah. And don't get me wrong, I might sit at a court and I'm looking at number 11, and I see number, you know, 20 on the other team, and I start writing down their information. Right. But that's the biggest mistake is is just not understanding on what level you are one. And that level can change. Meaning, like, as a sophomore, you might be a division three kid, but you can grow, you can train, you could develop. And by your senior year, you could be a legitimate division one division one prospect. So it's waiting to reach out, understanding the level in which you need to reach out, not where you wanna be, but where you are now as an athlete. That's what I think is the biggest mistake. And what do you think what what should parents do to reach out? If they shouldn't obviously wait, what what is it emails? Is it going to Yeah. What's the process like? Because I'm assuming it's the same for hockey. Right? Yeah. I I would think it's almost like it's a I mean, it's universal for every sport. Agreed. First of all, it's it's creating like a three tiered list of schools. Like, your reach schools that might be a little bit out of your reach at the present time. Right. Schools that will help you develop, and then schools you kinda know you can play at. And five to seven in each level, and that's and that constantly shifts. Because as you develop, you take schools off, you bring schools Right. Back You add schools. So that's I think, Jamie, is the first step is understanding who to contact because I I mean, I know I'm sure there's a lot of very good businesses out there that just mass email college coaches. We all know that they're coming from a mass email. I mean, you just know it's coming from it like a a a subscription fee because how it's worded and how it's presented to you. So I think once you get that list, you have that 15 to 20 schools, you legitimately just start reaching out. It depends what level you are. I mean, what year you are. If you're a freshman or sophomore, you're kinda just trying to get on coach's radar. And then then that builds momentum. And it's just not one email. So it's a whole process to this. It's almost like sales. Yeah. Like, if you're in sales, whatever you're selling, whether it's, you know, Penns, Stanleys, whatever, it's gonna take you three to four, maybe even seven calls to to get that sale. It's the same way with recruiting on both ends, as a coach and then as a parent. Because you might get as a coach, I might get during the the busy season for AAU and club, I might get 20 emails in a day on a weekend, and I might miss something. So following up with those emails. It's important that the parents help your their student athletes, you know, structure those emails, but it always has to come from the student. Because if the student doesn't have skin in the game, they're probably, you know, probably like playing the Hockey Pokey. I wanna play in college. I don't wanna play in college. So one foot in, one so I think it's just finding that tiered list, doing that tiered list with your with your family, and talking about it. And the one thing too, Jane, and I my own son was recruited to play. He was like a high level division three player. Mhmm. But, you know, he's at a division one school where he doesn't play sports. He just plays club right now. Right. And the one thing I asked him, and this is where parents need to like you said, where do they start? I said to my son, do you like playing basketball? He said, yeah. I like playing basketball. And I said, well, then you don't wanna play it in college. And he kinda looked at me like I was crazy. I said, because if you just like it, you will hate it. Oh, very good point. Yeah. You need to love it. Like, you need to wake up every day and say, I need to I need to lift, I need to run, I need to work out, I need to work on my bone like, if you don't want if you don't wake up every day wanting to do that, don't play it in college.
Scott: That that makes a lot of sense. We've heard it and we've heard other people talk talk about that. And, you know, it's like then I I keep on coming back to this, but I'll share with you, Keith. So Doug Christensen, who's the commissioner of the ECAC, put it really well in terms of, like, how kids are ultimately gonna reach continue to reach the next level, and it's like they ultimately have to love the game because the price of admission at some point is gonna get really high. And if you don't love it, you're not gonna be willing to pay. And I thought that was like, for me, that was just a really great way of putting it.
Jamie: And and Scott too, it it's not even if you that you might have to pay some tuition to go to school to play. But because I used the example, there's a woman who played who played I think she still plays in the WNBA. Her name's Elena Deladon. Now she went to Yukon her first her first week. Under Gino? Under Gino. And this girl was the Gatorade national player of the year, I believe. Oh. Top two recruit in the country. She quit after seven days. Because I always say, like, yo. Yeah. She left. Went back. She's from Delaware. She went back to Delaware. Just went to school for a year. Didn't do anything. Wound up playing volleyball for two years, and then wind up playing again their last two years college basketball. Gets drafted, plays in the WNBA. So I guess my whole point to that is this. It doesn't matter what level you're at. Whether you're on a full ride getting NIL money, getting house settlement money, you're playing division three and you're taking out loans, playing college sports is a voluntary activity.
Scott: Yes.
Jamie: And and not to be funny, but like, there you have two things you have to do in life, die and pay taxes and not in that order. And and I tell this to our student athletes all the time, and I said it to my son, I'm like, this is such a commitment that if you don't like what the coach is saying, what they're doing, who's playing what, like, you don't have to play. Yep. And nowadays, you have the portal and kids just transfer left and right all over the place. And that's their out. When I when we were growing up and we played, your out was you just don't play anymore. Right. And I think I really do think that and I always say this, and I'm sorry I'm going off on a tangent. No. No. If even at division three, they think it's, oh, you just roll the balls out or you just kinda throw the pucks out and you play pickup. Well, if you have a 03:00 practice, and I'm just I'm gonna give you a microcosm. You're in the training room or you're doing your lift around one ish. Then you're getting treatment depending on what your your schedule is. And then you have your three to five practice. And after practice, might have film, and then you might have treatment again. So that three to five practice, it might be one to seven. Yeah. And and that's a division three. And you still have to go to class. You might have study hall. You might have papers to do. And that's the commitment that I always tell families. If you're not willing to make now, that might be an extreme now there's some days where three to five is your practice and you get there quarter after two, and you're done at 05:30. But that that's the point where if you're not willing to make that commitment and understand what it takes to play, then you probably shouldn't play. Yeah. If you know, it's funny you say that, Keith, about, like, you know, the division three. So we have, a buddy, Alec Marsh, who is the, he he was a first year assistant coach at Hobart College Mhmm. In Geneva. Okay? So Hobart is, like, the division three wagon. I just I was in I was in Utica yesterday with my son to and they lost in in overtime to Hamilton College. They were going for a fourth straight national championship. They went 30 and o. They were literally trying to to be the second team ever to go undefeated the entire season. But what's crazy about that is is that so this is, like, a major major d it's the major d three program. Right? Three straight national championships. They just went to a fourth. Right? So and when I went up to Geneva, like, a month ago to watch them play I forgot who they played. We saw them play Friday and Saturday night. But what was crazy about it is the kids were wheeling in to the rink like the training trunk, call it. Right? And then the trunk opens, and there's tape and stuff in there, then it closes, they sit on top of the trunk, and they get wrapped. It's not glorious. No. You know? So you have to love it is like an understatement, right? I mean, because it's like I I was shocked at at how not glorious. I mean, compared to like division one, where you're taking like jets, you know, that that's not what division three is. Even for, like, the number one team in the country. I mean, it's it's a grind. And I know Hobart well because one of my first NCAA tournament losses was to William Smith. Right. Is the school. That's right. So I we we drove up there, and we were beautiful place on the lake, so I know who bought William Smith very unfortunately, very well. Right. But it was crazy to see this d three wagon, you know, this unbelievable team that's gone three straight national championships, and, like, the assistant coach has to go grab food for the players and bring it. It's like, you know, it's like, it's it's not glorious. You know? They probably have $10 to eat. Yeah. Each you got $10 to eat. Don't get the supersized fries. Can get those. It's crazy. I was shocked. I was shocked at the lack of budget. Let's put it that way. So a school in our conference right now has ice hockey, Newman University. They won the national championship for division three about fifteen years ago, maybe. Okay. Right. They did it with a bunch of Canadians. The whole roster are Canadians. There's a bunch of Canadians on Hobart's roster too. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. It's hard especially now with the rule change. Don't know if say you're a basketball guy, but so the rule change now is that, you know, Canadian kids can come down and play division one ice hockey, and it doesn't blow their their amateur status. Oh, wow. Did not know that.
Scott: So that was one of the things like the the Canadian Junior League, the CHL. Any Canadian player that that were to sign a contract and play in the CHL because they received, I think, some kind of stipend money for, like, books or whatever it was, but they were forming receiving some form of compensation. It blew their NCAA eligibility, But that's now gone through the out the window because of NIL. And so now anyone that commits to the CHL can still go to call NCAA. So there's there's less of a risk to, you know, go between the two. So it's changed the landscape dramatically. But one one thing we and we do wanna talk NIL stuff or money and that whole, part of the game. But just going back to your conversation or comment earlier just about the recruiting process and making sure people reach out, as far as, the age at which you're starting to look at players for your program and perhaps, you know, like other coaches. You know? What age group are are you looking at for basketball?
Jamie: Well, I think it depends on the level, Scott.
Scott: Okay.
Jamie: So if you're at a if you're at a division one school, then you're you're trying to you're trying to look at freshmen because you're trying to figure out what, you know, what what their ceiling is. So I think that's at the division one level, freshmen, they can't contact you till after your sophomore year. Right. Think it's, like, June 15. For me personally, we're looking at we're really starting to look at juniors, like, going into their junior year. Because we already have we probably already have an idea who they are. And then junior years is where you really recruit them because especially coaching on the women's side like I do, those women make decisions much earlier. It's almost like men's men's lacrosse players make decisions for division three in in, like, beginning of, like or the end of their junior year. So that's accelerated. So you have to recruit two classes simultaneously, if not two and a half. So I do think division one is freshmen, sophomores because they're trying to project out. And then division two is that sophomore year because they have those kids up as juniors, and they're looking for that commitment summer between junior and senior year. And then division three, depending on the level too. I mean, you have some high end academic schools, like Amherst, you know, Hobart. Well, that division division one in in hockey, but the high end academic schools, Tufts, all those NESCAC schools, those guys are getting they're getting decisions. They're getting commitments, you know, summer junior year going into the senior year, if not even sooner. So I there's so many factors to that, Scott. Sure. It depends a lot on who what level you are and what's you know, how much money you actually have as an institution, how many kids you actually can recruit. Right. For me, I have part time coaches as assistants, so trying to recruit more than one class is challenging, but you find a way to do it.
Scott: So are you entertaining outreach from players that are younger than the ages you kinda talked about, or do you say, like, you know, kindly thank you, but, you know, we can revisit this in a year or two, or or or do you take anyone that's reaching out? You know?
Jamie: Technically, you can't really correspond with them to have them Of course. Yeah. So and you can respond with, hey. Thanks for the email, stuff like that. But, no, we typically, we don't we can't really talk to them before their sophomore year is over. And that's fine. I I think it's that's why in a couple of the videos I talk about that that I I put together are the phony offers. Like, you like, Little League Baseball is notorious for phony offers. You hang around the fences and you hear families talk, and it's like, yo, did you hear Joey got an offer from LSU baseball? And I'm like, well, since Joey's a freshman and he's 14 or 15 years old, I highly doubt he got an offer. I'm sure it's like that in hockey too. Yes, it is. Yes. Yeah. And you're just like you see stuff on the Internet. But I think it's all it's all hype, and it's all people like, if if I'm telling you I make a $100 a year, I probably make 80. If you're telling me Joey's getting a scholarship offer as a freshman or sophomore, because I because I just kinda know the landscape, I know it's it's bogus. Right. And now there might be interest, so, like, a college coach might might reach out to the club or AU coach and say, hey. I really like Scott. I wanna get Scott up as soon as we can after his junior year sophomore year. Like, that does happen, but scholarship offers is probably a little bit over the top at that age.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: But I will say this, though, Scott. You should going eighth grade going into your freshman year in high school, you should register with the NCAA, with the eligibility center, and you can get there's a free account because once you start that process, you get your guidance counselor in high school to help you with core courses. Most schools, if not all schools, if you take your normal curriculum, you'll get your core courses taken care of. And then as you get that interest after your sophomore year, you go to the paid version of the eligibility center because you have to have an NCA identification number in order to be on the list at a division one school or division two school to have an official visit. So once you get that once you get that if you know you wanna play if you have an idea if you wanna play, go to the eligibility center right away and just register for the free account. So I have a question, Keith. Do you see and I know hockey is a little different than basketball in this respect, but I'm curious to hear how it is. We know 14 year olds that have that have signed with a an NHL agent. Oh? Yes. You know, does that happen in the game of basketball, or is that just a hockey thing? I officially signed with an agent in high No. But in basketball, there's a lot of street agents, And I'm dead serious. We have those in hockey too. They're called advisors. Yeah. Don't see that as much as I I haven't heard that. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Right. And the only reason I say that is I have two two kids who grew up in our neighborhood that my son and daughter they grew up in our house, basically. They both play a power for football schools. And one actually got probably, like, five or six starts this year as a natural freshman at a power four in the big ten. And and those guys were recruited unbelievably out of high school. Like, the one the one NIL deal's worth a lot of money. I'm sure. Like, 7 figures. I'm sure. So Yeah. I haven't heard that in the basketball world or even in in the football world. Oh, that's very interesting. Yeah. I mean, signing with, like, legitimate an agent, I I mean, if it happens, it is really I I haven't heard of it. Now, again, I I'm a I'm a little bit of an expert, but maybe that happens and I don't know it. And I have friends at division one schools, like, the city. Remember, there's six division one schools in the city of Philadelphia. Oh, yeah. Yeah. So and I have friends at three of them that are one is a NIL guy at one school. The other one is the second in charge at another Big East level school. Yeah. And I haven't heard that. Yeah. That's the ice hockey if you're if you're like a major prospect you know, in ice hockey, you know, you're they're speaking to you at at at matter of fact, this kid that I know is not even 14 yet. That's crazy. Yeah. It's funny. His dad played college basketball, actually. Talking about basketball. Oh, really? Yes. He's a big boy. Has this kid a little bit of an anomaly where I mean, you have kids playing in the NHL at 17, 18 years old. Those are the super duper, like, point 25% of yes. Those are the Jack Hughes's. Those are the Sidney Crosby's, Conor McDavid, Nachlan, Salabrini. Right? The majority of them you know, it's funny. You know, we were just talking about, like, division three. The majority of them, they go to high school. Sometimes they repeat eighth grade. They'll go to high school, and then maybe they'll go play juniors. And they'll graduate high school, and then they'll do, like, a postgrad year, and then maybe another postgrad year. So and then maybe they'll go play in college. So when they get to college, they're like a 21 year old freshman. Yeah. Mo if you look at the roster of division one college hockey, even division three, the the kids that I just saw yesterday play at Hobart, you know, it's very rare for an 18 year old to come in and play. That's a special kid. You're you're a 100% right on any sport. Yeah. Right. Yeah. I mean, there's guys at Villanova that this was their sixth school. I hope he's graduating with a PhD. Yes. But, yeah, I I I don't disagree with you, Jamie. It it is the it is the anomaly that those kids are playing that old. But, yeah, every roster, because of you just think about it. If if you're a college age kid and your NIL deal's worth, you know, high maybe $65,700 Right. You're not making that and you know you're not gonna go pro. Why would you leave? You wouldn't. Totally. Yeah. You're gonna like, the the guy last week, the quarterback at Ole Miss sued, and ironically, a Mississippi state judge granted him a six year of eligibility. How about that? A Mississippi judge granted an Ole Miss kid a six year of eligibility. Oh, that's shocking. I I mean, I I don't know. Like, I've I don't know if he's projected to be an NFL quarterback at all. Right. But, I mean, if he's making a million dollars in his in between the house settlement money and NIL money, why would you wanna leave? Can you explain the house settlement money, the the difference between the house settlement and NIL money? So house settlement is NSA versus the house of representatives, and the house settlement money allows schools, division one schools only, not division two and three Right. To revenue share with their student athletes and pay they they're allowed to pay total in their athletic department for this past year $20,500,000. Woah. So that's so that's collective. So that's if you have a football team, a basketball team, you have $2,020,500,000 to be able to And disburse a now the NIL money is was supposed to be not it can't be paid for play. I can't just say, hey. We have this collective over here. The university is gonna raise money for this collective, and we'll pay you out of that collective. It's legitimately supposed to be for your name, image, and likeness. Right. So whether you were signing autographs after a basketball game or you're representing the university at a ribbon cutting ceremony or something like that Yeah. That's totally separate. That's outside of the athletic department monies that you can pay. So that's two avenues that you can pay a student athlete. But it seems to be all convoluted right now. Yeah. I'm sure it is. And and quite frankly, in Jamie, it changes day to day how I hear my friends above me, how they get paid out. So there's a lot of schools that are below the power four and lower who have opted in because you have to opt in or opt out. Because if you opt into the house settlement, now you have roster limits. And I'm not sure what the ice hockey ones. I could probably look it up. But what's on a normal ice hockey team? 24? They probably have four lines of three, and then I would say, like, seven or eight. They carry two goalies. Right? So there you go. I mean and then they have other kids that don't dress. I would say it's probably 30.
Scott: 25 to 30.
Jamie: 25 to yeah. Right. So let's say it's I'm gonna look it up as we talk. Yeah. Yeah. And those kids so you if you have a scholarship limit of 30. Now, a roster limit of 30. You can aid up you could have 30 full rides or you could have one, but you cannot have more than I'm gonna say 30. I'm just gonna look it up right now. And you can't exceed that amount of well, the money's for the whole athletic department, though. Right? The the house settlement money, that's for the entire that's that's squash, rowing, you know, fencing, whatever you're they're Yes. Dispersing money toward. Yes. Okay. Let's see. What is it for ice hockey here? I'm just looking it up. I want it. But so that's the difference between because if you the roster cap I'm looking at right now. Roster and scholarship overhaul. New roster cap for ice hockey is 26 players. There you go. Like Scott said, 25 to 30. Okay. Yeah. That's the most if if I'm assuming all these schools up in the North, they've opted in to the house settlement. I'm assuming. Because, again, we talked about it before. A lot of those schools are division three overall, but they're division one in ice hockey. And that's a great great question how that works with schools like that. Because like Johns Hopkins is division one for men's lacrosse For lacrosse. Three and everything else. Yes. Right. So when you when you opt into the house settlement, you cannot have any more walk ons. No walk ons. Last year Oh, that's didn't get cut out because they had scholars they had roster limits. They had a thing called DSAs. You had to be designated it was a designated student athlete. And I believe that's only for one year. I even heard it was renewable for this year. And that was by a judge who who ruled on the house settlement for the simple reason they don't want student athletes to get screwed over and not and lose a roster spot because their school opted in. So right now, like, who's the who's the best team in division one men's ice hockey? Probably Michigan.
Scott: Oh, we
Jamie: Denver ish. I'm assuming
Scott: Michigan ranked one.
Jamie: Yeah. Michigan definitely opted in. There's no doubt about that. They can only carry 26 players going into next year. They probably have 26 now, and they probably have a few DSAs on that team, I'm guessing. Right. But moving forward, unless this changes over the summer, they have 26 roster spots. That's it. Right. Then and then the NIL money is a a total separate thing. Right? That's coming from, like, boosters. Like, explain where the where the NIL money is coming from. Well, that's it all depends on what where you're at because some schools, and I put this in some of my videos, they've cut budgets. Uh-huh. They've consolidated athletic department areas. They consolidated outside of athletics. They've raised student fees to pay for this. Oh god. And some some of them disguise it as house settlement money, and some it's NIL money. But what's happening is a lot of these universities that are mid major to low who are trying to keep up with the power four, they're relying on boosters. Now if you're if you're a millionaire and you give a million dollars, pick the school that's mid major, that's opted in. Well, they even really don't have to opt in. You can still pay them NIL money. But if your team stinks, if your basketball team you're donating $500 or a million dollars to doesn't do well, and you're not getting return on your investment, you just like to see that team win, why would like, you have to ask that same donor the following year. You have another million. Yeah. You gotta keep going back to the well. Going back and the donor fatigue from all my friends that I talk to is a real thing. Donors are just like, why am I gonna keep doing this every year? And my team is is barely getting into our conference tournament or not even advancing in the conference tournament. So, yeah, to answer your question, James, it's a separate they call them they call them collectives. And those collectives collect money, and then it's supposed to be a third party that disperses that for your NIL money. Interesting. So that's what that's supposed to be. And now and you probably heard this too. At the division one level, you're not signing a national letter of intent. You're signing a financial aid agreement. And in that agreement is your classes, room and board, Austin money, because there's a thing called Austin money you can get paid up until, like I think it's 6,200 a year. Right. Then it could be house money, and it could be NIAMA. And it all depends for basketball and football. Basketball, I mean, they're all full rides. But as you like, what's happening right now, some local division ones, traditionally, the baseball teams Uh-huh. I'm I'm talking about a handful, not all of them. Yeah. They have eight or nine full scholarships that they disperse amongst 35 players, whoever it is. Well, they're getting cut to, like, three scholarships because the university is trying to save money to put it towards their revenue generating sports programs. Oh. Oh, yeah. That's a real thing. That's not even my opinion. My buddies are telling me, they're being cut. And Jesus. Yeah. So it gets convoluted with NIL money and house settlement money because I think a lot of schools are trying to raise money for both. And even though it's supposed to be in two separate pots, I think it's all basically in one. So it's all being commingled. All the funds are, like, in the same That's my opinion. I think the bigger schools, I think the Michigans of the world, it's done as we think it is. It's they So the big boys are doing it right? Michigan, Ohio State, you know, Penn State, like those guys. Right? Yeah. Well, think about, like, because the whole idea of the house settlement was to share revenue with the student athletes. Well Right. What revenue is a men's basketball team and a mid major who've opted in, like, how much money are they making? They're losing money. Right. Because Like, you're just not showing up with 15 guys and three coaches. You're showing up with like seven or eight coaches. It's a whole It's an entourage. It's a huge huge know Like a basketball travel party for division one mid majors? It's like 30 people, if not Yeah. Football's even worse. Oh, yeah. Football. Yeah. You're you're not flying you're not jumping on an airplane flying coach. You're legitimate like, you're flying private. Right. Right. So alright. So do me a favor. So so tell I want you to tell our audience how because we think that the that the NIL money is gonna crush not that it's gonna crush college hockey. Because what's gonna happen now or what's happening is college hockey is getting a bump from all the Canadians that are gonna be able to come down and play. Right? So a lot of schools like Michigan, you know, pulled scholarships from kids here in The US and gave them to, like, six or seven kids that are coming down from Canada. A lot of schools are doing it. They're all doing it. It just makes sense. Right? The player pool is larger. So then you then you have the NIL money. So how is you could use football, for example, because I know you use it on your videos a lot. How can those mid majors like a Rutgers compete, you know, and not operate in the red every year? How do they do that? Or can they not, and that's it? That's a great question. And for the record, Rutgers is not a mid major. Rutgers is a power four. Oh, that's true. Sorry. They they they are a power four. That's correct because they are in the big 10, but I don't look at them as a they are, yes. You know, that's exciting. That's the Amy, that's the million dollar question. Yeah. And and again, I have friends at division one schools, and I use I use their language in my video all the time. How are we gonna keep how are we gonna continue to do this? We can't afford to do this. We can't afford to try and pay our players through the house settlement and then raise NIL money and then spend like like, again, you sometimes there's more coaches than there are players. Yeah. But it's equivalent. Yeah. Trainers, coaches. Yeah. Yeah. It's huge. Doctors. Yeah. And all my videos too, I, you know, I get people that throw a lot of hate over here, and they say, well, you're not talking about the endowment, or they're building a stadium. That's why their numbers are screwed up. Well, people forget endowed money typically has strings attached to it, it's it's restricted. So most of the time, you can't use restricted money for operating, and all these deficits are operating. And I get to well, you're paying the coaches millions. Why can't you pay the players? It's not about paying the players. The players deserve some compensation. Not arguing no one argues that at all. It's the ability of of these universities to try and fund that compensation, and that's where you see they're because they're trying to keep up with the Joneses. So the facilities are this, and they're upgrading to University of Oregon type locker rooms. Right. And now you have to pay like, in a sport like basketball, I know for a fact a Big East team locally spent almost $10,000,000 on their men's basketball team for paying players. Now I don't know if that was house money or if that's NIL money. Yeah. That's for you're talking about a roster of no more than 15 players. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. No. That's a lot of money. That's a big number. And I know Villanova, who's locally around us, who's a big e school, they didn't carry 15 scholarship players. I think they carried maybe 12 scholarship players. So think about it. Most of those if you look at the NCAA tournament, the men, there there's not 15 guys in uniform. There might be anywhere between ten and thirteen. Right. Nobody else For various for various reasons. Yeah. Yeah. Right. I mean, it's not like a sport like lacrosse or ice hockey where you need to carry the roster. Yeah. Because you could yeah. You get some serious injuries in those sports. Yeah. True. And then a lot more people are playing lacrosse and ice hockey during the game as opposed to basketball. You have a handful of guys that are coming in and out. So Jamie, I I I think I'd be a multimillionaire if I was able to answer that question. Like, how can these schools how can they afford it? I don't know. So it's coming from somewhere. Got it. Yeah.
Scott: So and and so some of this money though, I mean, it's I'm I'm sure there's not a clear trail. But if I'm if I'm understanding, like, what you're saying that, like, for example, a team that might have previously had 15 scholarships is now only offering 12 and the money for the the difference is now being spent, you know, as, like, NIL money, for example.
Jamie: I'm not sure if it's being spent as NIL money, but it's going towards something that might have replaced, but NIL money's taken away. A lot of these universities, Scott, they're raising student fees to help pay for these players. What kind of numbers are they? What what kind of numbers are hearing like, like they're Well, mean, if you have a student fee of, I don't know, $500 and you raise it a $100, but you have 25,000 students at your university. That's a big number. That's a big number. Yeah. And I'm just I'm again, I I haven't really done a deep dive into it, but Sure. Just think of the math that that's involved with all that. Sure. Yeah. It's unbelievable. And then listen, there's professors, and I know this for a fact, that are so upset that they see now even though let's say the professor has tenure, but he or she's probably only making maybe 150 a year. Yeah. And they see the starting point guard drive up in, you know, multi yeah. Like, pick get like, whatever your image of a of a big time car is. You know, listen. In in the movie, the program, I think, in in the the college football movie, I mean, I think James Conn was the, was the head football coach, and he's sitting there, and he's going, when's the last time, you know, 90,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a goddamn chemistry experiment? Yeah. I mean, listen Oh, yeah. It's a good teams bring in huge money. So I agree with you. They definitely need to be compensated somehow. Where does it stop, Keith? And how does it stop? The genie's out of the bottle. I don't think you're ever putting it back, ever. Well and I did a recently, did a two part series on Donald Trump. And I don't wanna get politic, whether you like Donald Trump or not. Yeah. He had a summit. He put it he had a summit at the White House two weeks ago with, like, Nick Saban, all the like, the NCAA president, Charlie Baker, and commissioners of, like, the Southeast Conference, the Big Ten, trying to fit like, they want I'm lucky enough to be an athletic director that we do it. The NCAA president, Charlie Baker, is actually he's a decent man. He was former governor of Massachusetts, and he meets with every conference, division one, two, or three, via Zoom every year. Right. And the poor guy is running the the the association based upon court decisions. So these people want the federal government to step in and regulate this because there there's a lot of there's a lot of push to make these student athletes employees of the university, and that opens up a whole other Pandora's box. And then they pay taxes. Well, they have to pay taxes now. Well, they pay taxes regardless. Right? Okay. Just get ten ninety nine. I was gonna say that we get ten ninety nine. You're you're right. You're a subcontractor for the university or whatever it is. Know? So and so that's why and if you do if you go check out my videos on YouTube. Yes. Go look at his videos. They're great, by the way. Yes. You you'll see that I did a and the hate I got for those things, the the comments, the DMs I got, you know, Donald Trump, didn't he just start a war? What's he concerned about? The NCAA? Yeah. Yeah. That doesn't shock me at all. Yeah. Again, don't want politics to be bothered. You're like, I'm talking sports. Talking sports. So and do you have any idea what came out of that summit? Was there anything rational that I get why they're going to the to the federal government because they're not gonna fix They can't fix this. Well, they were two weeks ago, and he was he was allegedly gonna put together like a some sort of order, presidential executive order together. I don't know. I haven't seen anything. Yeah. I do think him our our country over in Iraq has probably diverted his attention a little bit to this. Yeah. Yeah. He's got his his hands full. So I have not you know, government shutdown waiting three line three hour line to get on an airplane. Yeah. But that all being said, he hasn't issued anything yet. And I think I do think it has to go through Congress in order for anything to to stick. And I don't know if there's so much I mean, think about it. This we live in the world of sports. Yeah. My grandfather, who was the most honest guy in the world, and I don't wanna say I don't wanna be, like, callous about this, but he goes, Keith, a billion Chinamen could give a crap. And and he meant, like, he goes, important to you It's there's a whole section of society that could care less. It's true. And because all of us are involved in sports, it's important to us. But if you talk to the same person who follows politics, when it be when this comes up that the president's involved with the NCA and trying to regulate this, they're like, what's he is he doing that? Yeah.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: Yeah. I I don't know. I I I don't know what what the president's gonna do, but I do think there is gonna be a breaking point because this rolls downhill. Yes. It does. You have like, we talked about this before we got we have older guys in their like, in their early twenties Yeah. Playing division two and three sports. That's right. Like, we have many amongst boys. Right? Yeah. It's legitimately so and if if I jump ahead, I apologize, but the order that college coaches recruit and my old men's coach for basketball, who he's at a division two school now. He said this to me right after the pandemic. He said because he introduced me to a parent and a son, and the father of the son was kinda pressing him in front of me saying, hey, where do you see my son, you know, in your program? And our men's coach was trying to be diplomatic, so he finally I could tell he got frustrated. He said, listen, mister Smith, I'm gonna tell you right. Right now, I'm re recruiting my own players. I'm trying to figure out who I want back on my team and who wants to stay. Two, I'm going to the portal. I have four kids in the portal that are ready to transfer today. Yeah. Three, I have junior college kids that have already committed. I have two that have already committed. Unfortunately, you know who's last? Fourth, your son. High school seniors are last on the list. And that's how that's how every college major college coach recruits. And I don't and I don't care. It's probably more prevalent in different sports. Right. It's definitely that way in basketball at every level. And I don't know if it's I would think college in ice hockey or not. Yeah. Listen, a lot of guys hit the portal in in college football just like a lot of kids are hitting the portal in college hockey. I mean, if you you start at, like, a UMass Lowell, which is like your, like you know, it's it's still a a good ice hockey school, but if you light it up there and Boston College is offering you $750 to go play when you're getting zero UMass Lowell, you know, you're hitting that portal. You know? And that's why we talked about earlier. You might not be a division one player now going into college as an 18 or 19 year old, but if you do what you're supposed to do in two years and you're bigger, stronger, and you get some reps underneath you, I'd like, listen. The guy who was the starting quarterback at Ole Miss was a division two quarterback two years ago. Exactly. You know, Penn State signed a division three quarterback who played at Christopher Newport. So your window as a division one athlete might not be now, but the way things are going, you could be a division one athlete in two years. That's right. Yeah. Which which I think is good for kids. I I think that's not the worst thing, you know, that that that it gives you somebody who develops maybe late. Right? And you don't get any money for and you play freshman, sophomore year, whatever it is, and you light it up. You know? Listen. It's great. What I don't like is somebody bouncing from, like, one school to the next, and just keep taking more money and more money and more money and more money as you, you know, develop in the sport. You know? Because there's there's no loyalty anymore. I mean, do you remember the I mean, listen, and and I get the old the old argument where, like, the coach can leave, but the kid can't. The kid signs a letter of intent, he's stuck there. Right? If he transfers, he can only transfer once, and he has to sit a year. So the coach can leave freely and take whatever however much money he was getting and go and sign another contract. So I get that. But the lack of, you know Oh, loyalty. Yeah. So listen. I we say I I we say it all the time, and I think John Kalapari said it. In ten years, where are you going for your reunion? Right. Pick a school. Which one of the six that you played at are you going to? Or if your if your jersey gets retired, you know, where are you going to do your speech at? Yeah. You know? That's that's the problem. And he even and what's his name? Rick Pettino even said it a couple a week ago, there's no more blue bloods. Like, the love that like, it used to be, like, Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke Duke. Michigan's Villanova was in there for a little bit. Yeah. A playing field that the power for is completely level. Hey. Listen. We haven't even talked about the University of Utah signing on with a private equity firm for their NIL stuff. Oh, can you talk about that? Because Scott and I talk a lot about private equity in the youth hockey space, by the way. Oh, a huge in those sports. Youth hockey is being corrupted by listen. It's a huge business. We all know it. But, you know, now private equity, if you don't know Keith, they're buying rinks. Really, Yes. I mean
Scott: all across the country. Leagues.
Jamie: And they created leagues, and they're creating their own their own TV network.
Scott: Systems. They're, like, competing with everything that's already out there in the marketplace.
Jamie: And before all this, we all knew youth sports was a billion dollar industry. Mhmm. Absolutely. I I mean, there's more. My son played in more useless travel baseball tournaments than I've ever been in my life. And and at the time, it was like life or death for all these kids. Yeah. And I'm sitting there scratching my head going, what are we doing? Like, what are we doing?
Scott: Well, let let me ask you because, Jamie, you just brought so talking about private equity, love to talk about that some more, but you were just talking about the useless number of, like, travel tournaments. And a question for you that if you wanna answer it first or after private equity, either way, but the downward pressure that this money at the college level is then putting on families to then make their kids even more special, even younger, bigger, stronger, faster, earlier. I I mean, have you seen that, like, firsthand of of, like, parents, like, by money with, like you know, to get their kids up to a certain point, which maybe isn't even practical.
Jamie: Yeah. 100%. You see it all the time. Yeah. And I saw I said my son is 20 years old and my daughter is 18, soon to be 19. I saw it with those with their friends. And it's a microcosm of the world of The United States, but at, like, 10 years old I am not this is I am not making this up. This is a 100% accurate. My son was playing for a local AU organization, which was good. He was on the a team. The a team at 10. The well, who cares? Right? So one of his friends who played on the b team in the same basketball organization, the father comes up to me at baseball in the spring and says, hey. I just wanna let you know so and so is not gonna play AAU basketball. And I'm like, oh. I said, he doesn't like playing anymore. He goes, no. He likes playing. But Keith, come on. He's not gonna go to the NBA. And I was like, oh, news flash. He ain't playing in the majors either. Like, you're five foot six, your wife's five foot five. Right. Unless he turns out to be like the mailman's kid, he ain't playing there either. Let him have fun. Absolutely. And it was but it was the whole intent, Scott. Yeah. We need to get a scholarship. And when you get the scholarship, you might get drafted to play baseball. Mhmm. And then it just and it's like, you're 10. Let the kid play as many sports as possible.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: And let him have fun. All the time.
Scott: Because that's what that's what, you know, one of the things that hockey has unique compared to a lot of, like, sports is that the distances are usually pretty far. You know, it can be to get from rink to rink. There's a lot of time in the car. You know, heck, there's 10 year olds that are on airplanes that are playing ice hockey in different states, and that's for sure true. Oh, yeah. You know?
Jamie: So Oh, Scott, before you before you go on, I have two women that play for me right now at Gwen and Mercy.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: They're brothers who don't even know each other. They're at two different I'm gonna say this wrong, hockey schools. So there's or colleges? No. They're they're in high school, and they go to, like, an
Scott: academy. Academies. Academies. Yes. Yeah. That's And
Jamie: and I didn't know that existed until I started coaching these two last year. My kid went to one too. I know. It's awful.
Scott: Yeah. This guy's a crazy hockey dad.
Jamie: Kid went to one for four years. Yeah. But they've been in it. The one I wanna say this wrong. What's the next I think the one's, like, 16. He's playing juniors. Is that right after that? Does that happen after that?
Scott: Yeah. 16 is when players the average age of junior players at the USHL level, I think, is 17.
Jamie: Yeah. So I I think that's his next step. He's leaving this hockey academy and going to play juniors.
Scott: Yep. Sure.
Jamie: That's the path. But yeah. I I didn't know that existed. I thought that was like like, IMG was the only school in The United States that did that. They're popping up everywhere. Everywhere. Wow.
Scott: They're
Jamie: everywhere. An alternative to your traditional schooling. Yeah. Right? During COVID, they really exploded. They But I heard that Europe, there's different things. They do that in
Scott: Europe, Smucker but and yeah.
Jamie: Yeah. Even bet there's basketball academies in Europe, is think it's crazy.
Scott: I know a family that actually has their 13 year old went to Israel to play.
Jamie: Wow. I I hear hoops.
Scott: No no hoops. Yeah. And they're like, the family it was the youngest of three brothers. The the wife relocated to Israel with the son. I mean, they they are Israeli, they, you know, they had a place. So there was some, you know, things that were already taken care of. But more to the point is that to develop this kid as a basketball player, you know, they they took him overseas at the age of 13. Only for a couple years, he's gonna come back. But the but the point is is that, like, I mean, there's no end to which families can, you know, what they can do for their think think is in their kid's best interest. You know?
Jamie: So let me give you this is how I advise even before I started all this, at the Little League, and this is true too, if my son heard this, he'd probably be embarrassed. So in our Little League, and this will give my son props too, There were 90 plus kids that tried out for one travel team. 12 kids. 90. I'm not making up. Might even be closer to a 100. So he makes the 18 at eight and nine and and 10. And in little league, you you you time out at, like, 12.
Scott: Okay.
Jamie: So he had two years left. Now he played in like, he had great friends. And we're sitting at the dinner dining room table, and he says to my wife and I, do you mind if I just play on the b team? And we were like, okay. Like, why? And he said, I just wanna play with my friends. And my wife looked at me and goes, he's 10 years old. And I go, dude, you can play on the c team if you want. Right. And we moved him. And we were like, we we would walk through the little league and people would be whispering like, oh my god, that's the family who who rejected the a team offer. It's like triple a to double a in hockey, And again, I coach division three but it's still athletics, and I know I I see the bigger picture, and I go, you're 10. Play with your friends.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: And I think a lot of families don't see the trees through the forest when it comes with that.
Scott: No. They don't. And like, that's one of the things also with height with with hockey that that there's a big you know, there's a lot of talk about, because in Minnesota, it's pretty much the only state that's left where they have community model hockey. Everything else for youth hockey is is if you're playing at a high level or even whatever high level even means nowadays. But you're playing you're playing club, and that doesn't mean you're playing with your friends. And that's one of the things that when I heard, you know, people from Minnesota talk about, it's like, played, you know, hockey with my friends. No one got left behind because of the cost of the sport. And, you know, so I'm only bringing this up because sometimes for a hockey player, they they might that might even be an option to play with their friends. You know what I mean? So it's just yet another thing that makes hockey difficult because you're not playing with the kids that are in your grade. You know? And so
Jamie: Yeah. I get it.
Scott: It's interesting, to say the least.
Jamie: It's yeah. It's a it's a totally different and and I'm curious, Keith, you know, with with with the amount of money that's thrown around in in in these games, especially the youth hockey space. I I'm curious to hear your thoughts on any of this. But, in ice hockey, the cost of the game is has always been high. Right? And now with private equity coming in, it's it's even more. And youth hockey has a a not a registration problem because registrations are are through the roof. They were big even before The US won gold Mhmm. Just now, right, just recently. So what what hockey has is a retention problem. Youth hockey has a big retention issue because the game is getting so expensive, and people are getting priced out. I mean, tuitions. So tryouts are and have been for the last, you know, month. Scott's Scott Sonato tried out, what, three weeks ago, Scott? Something like that?
Scott: I guess. Yeah. Three You weeks
Jamie: know? So, you know, club teams are raking in, you know, like, I don't know, call it, like, $7 ish per team, you know, per tryout, and tuition's another, depending on how old you are, 5 to 15,000 ish, 12 to 15,000 ish, depending on where you are. And then there's gear, and then there's travel. And Scott mentioned you're getting on planes. You know? So I guess, again, where does it end? You know? Yeah. And I and I think, James, that you can make that argument for every sport. Yeah. And I and I don't know the hockey world like you two guys do, but do you have multiple teams at each age age age level? Like, do you have, like, your national team and your regional team? 100%. Yeah.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: Each club has a, like let's just take the 2012 birth year. Each club has a triple a team, a double a team, and some have a single a team. Some have two triple a teams, a double a team, and a single a team. Wow. So you're talking a $100 call it 85 to a $100 ish per team, per birth year. Now, I'm sure I'll get hate for this, but all that's a money grab. A 100, like, the and there's something to be said about your kid's not developed yet, so he plays on a b team and he moves up. I get all that. But I think you guys said it with I mean, listen. The people who run these organizations aren't in it because they just wanna help people. Like, they wanna make money. Right. And you guys mentioned private equity. My daughter played club field hockey locally, and people were and it was one of the bigger ones. There's girls who played on this on this in this club that play they're in the Olympics or on the Olympic team. They and they're playing for national championships. Philadelphia is really not as we know, is really not big West Of The Mississippi. That being said, at her age group, at every age group, there are nine eight to nine different teams
Scott: Wow.
Jamie: At her age group. And to your point, Jane, the club director she was on, like, the third team. And the club director said, hey. If you get private lessons through us, you can move up to the a team. Yep. That's that happens. And my daughter who was, like, 12 or 13 was like, what? And she she stopped playing club field hockey after her sophomore year in high school. She's like, I'm not doing this. That's really I I gotta my parents have to pay you money for me to move up. That's stupid. There are there are coaches in youth hockey that you have to sign on with them as as they're your adviser to advise you the path to take, and you can't play on their team unless you're signed on as their adviser client. Wow. I gotta talk to I gotta I gotta do a deeper dive into ice hockey because I thought soccer was crazy and the soccer clubs and like that, but this is It's a something serious. I really have to look into this. This is great. It's a whole big shit show, Keith. And again, and Scott and I talk all the time with Scott. How many countless guests? Where does it stop? Where does it ever stop?
Scott: So there was, like, two two other extreme examples. One, I heard of which, again, I I didn't hear this directly, so this could not be accurate a 100%, but I'm pretty sure it's true that, you know, like, a lot of times you'll find across all sports. I'm sure parents that are chasing, like, you know, the best team. They want their kid playing on the best team, period. End of story. And so I I was told about a family that paid, I think, around a $100,000 for their kid to be to make a particular team. And I think that happened. And then you also hear Lots
Jamie: of stories I got.
Scott: Yeah. You also hear
Jamie: Does he get is that is that family paying a $100? Which he's he's definitely on the third shift.
Scott: I mean, I definitely don't think there's no guarantee in ice time because I don't think he played as much as you would think.
Jamie: Yes. There are crazy stories like that.
Scott: But then the other part was right. There's families that that Jamie had a kid on one of his son's teams, and I ran into a family who Ottawa played with that live in Florida. And on weekends, they were playing on teams up here in New Jersey. So the families would fly for the weekends to wherever their team was playing.
Jamie: Or practicing. Or practicing. Well, I don't have specific examples. When I talk to some people who are out of college now, they tell me, oh, I played college ice hockey. And I'm like, oh, where'd you play at? Oh, I played club at so and so school. And they're like, the club was so good because we had all these Canadians coming down and playing on our varsity that the club team could probably finish second or third in the conference that they played in because of of all the Canadians they have. But I think it it goes deeper than youth hockey because I'm in college athletics, and the school I'm speaking of has a varsity team, a club team, and an in line hockey team. Wait. I'm not done. And a street hockey team. Oh, yeah. This is it's a division three school too. Oh, wow. And you know what that is? That's the national team. This is like I'm making the youth hockey analogy, and then your regional b c teams, and all they're all tuition paying kids. Right. Except for the Canadians. Except for the except for the Canadians.
Scott: They're
Jamie: no. They want scholarship. They go for free. Yeah. You're right. Exactly. They they have the international scholarship. Right. Mean I mean, I so there's no end to this, essentially. Right, Keith? I mean Well, get back to what we talked about. NIL, house settlement money, revenue sharing. It's the legitimately keeping up with the Joneses and not being able to keep up with the Joneses. There has to be a breaking point.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: Because there's there's already so many donors that are in their nineties, and when they die Yeah. And that wealth gets distributed amongst their family, who who's gonna donate right now? Especially if they didn't go to that school, x y z school, whatever it was. Oh, that's even better. I I yeah. If they're, like, on their fourth or fifth school Yeah. Where's your loyalty? Hey. Remember you played for us when you were 18 years old? That's right. And then, well, then there's four schools in between.
Scott: Yes. So that's kinda like the idea of, like, you know, as as father time catches up with everyone, that the money is gonna shift. Is that kind of like the idea that, like, maybe you're presenting? Like, yeah. Where where will it come from? Because those that inherit might not want to continue to do the same thing. But if they do, are they gonna keep it within the institution that they've that they're, you know, parent or relative, or are they gonna move it to, like you know, that's interesting.
Jamie: So one of the big donors at a division one school in Philly, he had sold his insurance company for 7 or 8,000,000,000, something outrageous.
Scott: With a b?
Jamie: That was With a b. Woah. With a b. And he's a major donor. Well, he's in his nineties. Yeah. And I know they're I'm almost a 100% sure they're dissolving his his foundation just because he's older. And they ran out like this. Now he has I think he has four or five children, and they have no intention of donating to his alma mater when he passes away. That's my opinion, but why would you dissolve a foundation when you're getting the guy's still alive for the simple reason of I mean, he's very philanthropic. He donates to a lot of universities. Right. He's a microcosm of I mean, just pick a school. And now if you have some success, like, a kid, Villanova, I live locally, they won two national championships. People wanna be a part of that now. Right. They wanna like but if you're, I don't know, temple in the city of Philadelphia, you're at LaSalle University, and, you know, if you ever heard of those schools Sure. 100%. Of course. Yeah. Yeah. There's Atlantic ten and the American. And who's donating for those schools? And we haven't even gotten into the schools who can't afford it who have now dropped to division three. University of right. Hartford Oh, University of Hartford three years ago said, we can't afford to do this at the division one level. They're division three right now. So they packed it in and they dropped down. Saint Francis of PA. Just this is their last year of division one. Next year, they're division three for everything. Saint Francis of New York, which was in, like, Brooklyn. Uh-huh. They just said, we're done college athletics. They dropped sports all they were division one
Scott: No way.
Jamie: For seventy years. Oh, yeah. There's gonna be more schools that are just gonna say, we can't afford to do this. I didn't think Ryder University is in Jersey. Yeah. Trouble.
Scott: Sure.
Jamie: And and they're I haven't heard talks yet, but what's the only sustainable model? To continue to give away scholarship money or to get tuition paying students to play division free? Like, what would you do?
Scott: Right.
Jamie: So I think you're gonna see a lot of schools as we're we circle back to, like, the colleges. That power four is fine, but I think you're gonna see a lot of mid to low level division ones that say, we're just gonna go division do it. Can't do it.
Scott: Yeah. We just had there was Mercyhurst.
Jamie: Oh, they just folded.
Scott: They just folded their d one program. I don't know if it I don't know the reason why, but could be.
Jamie: You mean for ice hockey or Ice hockey?
Scott: Ice hockey. Yeah.
Jamie: Ice And why? Because I forgot about that. Did they go to division one? They were division one.
Scott: They were division one.
Jamie: Yeah. No. Cross sports. Oh, did they? I don't know. I'm that's a good question. Did that I didn't really was thinking of Mary Mac. I'm sorry. Oh. Oh. I'm thinking of Mary Mac. That's my fault. Mary Mac as Yeah. Yeah. No. Scott, you're right. They just folded their they just folded their their ice hockey program. All those kids are hitting the portal, apparently.
Scott: Right. Yeah. That that's just it's it's the money. The money. The money rules. And where does it stop? Right? Yeah.
Jamie: The margins are thin when you're a tuition based institution. And Mhmm. I mean, I I did a list I did a thing on a list of schools that closed over the last ten years. There's probably 30 schools on that list. Really? Yeah. Like, schools in a like, division three schools in this area Yeah. In the last five years, Cabrini College, Cabrini University, which is Villanova bought their property because they're right near Villanova. They won a national championship right around the pandemic for men's lacrosse. They were in the final four for division three men's basketball. Well, their model wasn't sustainable because they were giving students a lot of money and aid. Whereas when the pandemic hit, they were instead of relying on less students paying more, they were relying on more students paying less. There were just no kids. It dried up. And then make a long story short, they had to close. Wesley College, Dover, Delaware, division three school. Delaware State bought them out. They had to close no students. There's a list of schools that have just can't afford to operate. And, really, it really has nothing to do with athletics as the most just higher ed in general. Woah. And higher ed in general is in a breaking point when it comes to smaller schools that are tuition dependent. Right.
Scott: That's so interesting. And like Yeah. Yeah. Wow.
Jamie: It's a shame. Really is. Yeah. A lot of good institutions are are shutting their doors or stopping their athletic programs, which is a shame. Yeah. You know? You know?
Scott: Yeah. I was at Boston University when they canceled the football team mid season.
Jamie: Oh, sure that went over well.
Scott: I mean, quite frankly, I they were they weren't a very good football team, but to to cut it midseason just seemed my my wife and I were talking about the other day, like, how wild is that? Because we're talking about Mercyhurst closing, I was like, well, at least they did it at the end of the season. Yeah. Anyway That's
Jamie: true. Keith, this is great, man. Thank you very much for coming out with us. I I could probably talk to you for another hour, but I I I bet. I we were trying to on that. Yeah. Yeah. I know. So we may have to have you back on. This was great. I mean, it's you know, because I I think that, you know, there's a lot of money in youth sports, and obviously, it's filtering down from pro to college. And, you know, and again, we we talk about it all the time with our guests, and we don't know where it stops. Right? Yeah. I hear And it's a shame.
Scott: Keith, if you could just if there are places where people can find you, they, you know, obviously like what they heard. They they you have the athletic recruiting road map series. But in terms of, like, Instagram or any other places, is there how how is it best
Jamie: for people to get in touch with Yeah. I mean, I I I mean, my YouTube channel, but my website is keithmondillo.com, and they could redirect you to to all the the social media sites, Instagram, Facebook. So it's Sure. I try and be everywhere just for this it's easy nowadays. People think it's hard. It's really not. You know, if they do one video, and the software now allows you to cut those up in the short reels, and you could post them. So no. But Keith Mondillo dot com. And if I could help anybody, please feel free to reach out.
Scott: Yeah. And we'll put a link to the your website on the show notes.
Jamie: You should get you to be our social media coordinator. We're only on Instagram at the moment. You. It was great. I really appreciate you coming out today. Was wonderful. Thanks for the conversation.
Scott: Yeah. Thank
Jamie: you. Take your visit.
Scott: I recall Central Parkin' Fall.
Jamie: Can we put this in? Can we put this in? Would you die if like with this like
Scott: No. I don't care why. I'm gonna get hired to be on The Voice.
Jamie: You definitely are by the way. 100%. Alright, everybody. Welcome back from our interview with Keith Mondillo. I hope you guys enjoyed that Keith is very versed in NCAA
Scott: College recruiting.
Jamie: Yeah. Yes, he is. And we have to have him back on to talk five for five because when we interviewed him, the five for five had knocked him out yet.
Scott: No, that's true.
Jamie: Yeah. But again, Thursday night, 8PM eastern, Instagram, live with Jimmy Dads, we will talk five for five rule. NCAA five for five.
Scott: One more time, when's that on?
Jamie: 8PM, Thursday, eastern time on Instagram.
Scott: Let's go.
Jamie: Yeah. That's gonna be fun. Jimmy Dowd is gonna have a surprise. He said he's gonna have a surprise for us. Just saying. He said I have a surprise for you guys, So there may be a surprise guest. Just saying.
Scott: Well
Jamie: That's what he told me.
Scott: I'll be looking forward to that. But, know, just one thing I would when Keith was talking Yeah. He mentioned about needing to reach out based on where you're out now is He
Jamie: did. Yes.
Scott: Not where you want to be. And I thought that was a really interesting thing.
Jamie: He did. Yep. Yes. He said be honest about where you are your kid
Scott: is Right. Not where you're trying to be. Correct. Right.
Jamie: And he and he was saying, I believe, you correct me if I'm wrong, he was saying, like, be honest about yourself so you and have schools listed out that you could get into and go play at.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: And then he was saying, like, if you're a late bloomer, you can then transfer. If you may not be a division one player now
Scott: Right.
Jamie: Maybe you're a division two player now, but maybe you're a division one player down the road when you get in and start working out and doing the things and really, you know, you know, training your body. You know, he said, make sure you're honest with yourself, which I think we've talked about many times in this podcast about parents being honest about where their kid is
Scott: Right.
Jamie: In the game of ice hockey. Right? He's talking obviously, you know, any sport, basketball, football, baseball. But he gives some pretty good insight.
Scott: Yeah. Right? And and he also along with so many others that we've talked to just in terms of having the student or the kid be the one that kind of leads the conversation. Yeah. Like, you know, if you you need to help your kid make the email like a little better or like whatever, fine. But like most of this, the dialogue should really be coming from from the kid and not not the parents. Right. Yeah.
Jamie: Right. And I know we've talked about that before. I wanna say with like Jason Tapp and Connor Jones and Kellen Jones, I think they've all mentioned at one point or other in the interviews we've done with them, you know, one of the things they don't like is when the parent is, like, doing that stuff for the kid. Right. Right? Like, speaking for the kid, like emailing the coach, like the it should be all coming from the kid.
Scott: No doubt.
Jamie: They're old enough. Like, what are you doing? Yeah. You know? So might as well start them doing it now.
Scott: A 100%. Right? And kind of,
Jamie: you know, doing it for yourself. So makes sense.
Scott: It totally makes sense.
Jamie: You know? So but no. It was it was a great I thought it was a good interview.
Scott: Yeah. I thought I heard one of my kids coming down
Jamie: the stairs. You did? Yeah. I'm not sure which one it is. We're gonna find out in a second. We are? Maybe not. Oh, there you go. Oh, hey. What's up, dude? How's it going?
Scott: I I just popped in. Why don't
Jamie: you come say hi, shirtless man?
Scott: Oh, where you were at the pool party?
Jamie: Look at this kid. Look. There he is. Yo. What's up, party go? It was good. It was good? Yeah. I learned how to gainer.
Scott: You learned how to watch?
Jamie: Gainer. Yeah. It's a gainer.
Scott: It's a
Jamie: it's a running backflip, but you run straight and backflip.
Scott: I thought you could already do that.
Jamie: I could, but I can be telling myself.
Scott: Do what?
Jamie: You can't gainer on a trampoline because it's just Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. You can't off a diving board off a flat surface. Correct. And it's actually Yeah. What you're doing here. Did you do a half or a full? Full.
Scott: Nice. Nice to do.
Jamie: Full too. Yeah? You know what a full is? Of course, I do.
Scott: This could Jamie Jamie could dive. That was one thing when we were kids, was he was good at diving. Yeah. He was pretty shit at everything else, but diving, this guy, he was pretty pretty dialed in.
Jamie: Yeah. I was pretty good at that.
Scott: Yeah. He could, you know, he could jump off the board, touch his toes, and then dive in straight.
Jamie: Like a jackknife?
Scott: That's not a jackknife. Is that a jackknife? But yeah. Oh, the can opener is the one that I'm good at.
Jamie: The can opener just makes a huge splash. Well, the reason you the reason you were good at that is because you weighed like a hundred ninety pounds.
Scott: When I was in first grade.
Jamie: I mean, you were always a big boy.
Scott: Yo. I listen, I was good for wave pool.
Jamie: Yeah. You were.
Scott: You know? It's true. Whatever.
Jamie: Yeah. You definitely were.
Scott: Yeah. Alright.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. That's fun.
Scott: Yeah. Alright. I'll talk to you later. Good good job gainering. Seriously. Can't keep gainering. Woah. Dude, what happened to your back? You land on your back also?
Jamie: Yeah. Well, let me turn around. Nice. Yeah.
Scott: And his arm too. Nice, dude.
Jamie: Nice. Little bit of red. That that was a that was a fail? What? That was a fail?
Scott: That's on your fail videos? Three or
Jamie: four until I got it. Listen, happens. Listen. You gotta plow through it. You'll get it eventually. Right? Next is what? The standing black backflip on the ground? Oh, yeah. Right? I I'm gonna have to do it on the air track and then try.
Scott: That's fine. Listen, work your way up, but we expect it by next week.
Jamie: Just don't hit your head on the board whatever you do.
Scott: Yeah. Don't don't Make sure you jump Don't don't Lou Lou Gaynus.
Jamie: Is right.
Scott: Don't Lou Gaynus.
Jamie: That's a very good point. Do not Lou Gaynus in it.
Scott: Peace. Peace out.
Jamie: That was a good point, bud. Do not Lou Gaynus.
Scott: You don't want Lou Gaynus
Jamie: in You do not want Lou Gaynus
Scott: in it.
Jamie: No. He was legit back in the day.
Scott: Greg Louganes?
Jamie: Greg Louganes.
Scott: You know, the Well,
Jamie: haven't heard
Scott: that name before. Ever.
Jamie: How did you come up with that?
Scott: The more that because we're talking about diving and hitting heads. What else would come to your mind?
Jamie: True. Fair.
Scott: I mean, don't know.
Jamie: I remember he always had a hard time beating the Chinese guys. The Chinese divers are ridiculous. Okay. They're still legit to this day. They're do do we have any good American divers?
Scott: That's not a sport I keep tabs on. Me neither. Even if it's on in the Olympics, I don't think we've had anyone that's been like
Jamie: I like watching diving news. No. No.
Scott: I do too, but I'm just saying I don't know that we've had any, like
Jamie: Big time American divers?
Scott: Yeah. Like any major stories that, like, kind of, like, you know, sometimes not sometimes. All the time, the Olympics has, like, you know, those, like, stories of the athletes who, like, overcame the odds or whatever
Jamie: I haven't seen one about a diver.
Scott: About diving.
Jamie: Chinese, again, are very good diving.
Scott: Very good.
Jamie: Yeah. I remember I think they were going up against him at the Louganis at the time. Was always him or the Chinese guy. You know? Whatever the guy's name was. Nice.
Scott: I don't know.
Jamie: Yeah. That's cool. Anyway.
Scott: Yeah. Were we?
Jamie: We're just about talking about the NHL.
Scott: Oh, the NHL. Holy guacamole.
Jamie: We're actually talking about Keith Mondillo, you know, and how he but Keith is great. Yeah.
Scott: Check out keithmondillo.com.
Jamie: Yes. Yeah. His His stuff is very good. You can reach out to him. He's very he's very approachable, but he's super knowledgeable about, like, NCAA recruiting. Even though it's not it's even though he's a basketball guy, he knows about football, basketball, baseball, hockey. I mean, he's it's all the same stuff. He's very tuned into it, but he's he he he knows what he's talking about. Mhmm. Yeah. Like I said, we gotta get him back on for the, for the NCAA five for five rule.
Scott: Absolutely.
Jamie: That'd be a pretty good idea.
Scott: Yeah. Reach out to Keith. Yeah. Shout out Keith.
Jamie: So what are thinking about the NHLs?
Scott: I think that I want Montreal to win.
Jamie: You do?
Scott: I do. I also it's crazy to see the avalanche unravel before your face.
Jamie: What is happening there?
Scott: Injuries. What is happening? Injuries are happening.
Jamie: I mean, true, but like
Scott: Goal tending.
Jamie: But they had good goal tending.
Scott: I'm just saying. What
Jamie: what is happening there, man? Like, don't get it. I don't I do not
Scott: get it. Vegas Vegas is pretty nasty. Yeah. But, like, yes. Mitch Marner, say what?
Jamie: Listen. Jack Eichel, they're both filthy.
Scott: You think, like Matthews Stone, they're all like very legit. You think Matthews and, Tavares and, what's his face? Nylander, you think they're all Guys. You think they're happy for him?
Jamie: For Mitch? Yeah. Yeah. That's a good question, buddy. That's a really good question. Some maybe yes, some maybe no. Yes. I mean, because I I I listen. I don't know if this is true. I'm speculating, so don't take this. Yeah. Take this with a grain of salt. But, like, if I was some of those guys in Toronto, I'd be like, dude, get me the fuck out of here. Oh. Yeah. I was I was Austin if was Austin Matthew, I'd like, dude, I'd like, dude, get me the fuck out of this place. Peace out. Bro, can I what do you think the Toronto Maple Leafs fans are saying to themselves watching the Montreal Canadiens, like, go on a run?
Scott: Oh, and also Mitch Marner crushing it in Vegas?
Jamie: Are they not all like are they on like suicide watch right now?
Scott: I mean, it's not They have days.
Jamie: They have to be. They have to be on suicide watch.
Scott: Not good. I mean But they but they have the number one pick. So there's that. There's that to brighten up their days.
Jamie: And they will take Gavin McKenna.
Scott: And then you know what's gonna happen. And then
Jamie: And the sharks are gonna take the dude from, from Sweden?
Scott: The Swedish guy. Yeah. No. For totally blank on
Jamie: his name. Yeah. But he's a good player.
Scott: He's gonna become better than McKenna just like Leo Carlson is shaping up to be better than Bedard.
Jamie: Listen. It's very possible. But can I just tell you, Bedard said something today? It was on Instagram. I'm not sure if it's true. He's He's like, I wanna be a Hawk. As long as I'm playing, wanna be a Hawk. You think he's lying?
Scott: I think a lot of times athletes say things because that's what they do.
Jamie: Yeah. Do you think he's telling the truth? I don't.
Scott: Maybe I how would I know?
Jamie: That that that franchise is a storied franchise in the NHL.
Scott: Yes. It is.
Jamie: They don't do shit.
Scott: In a while.
Jamie: What like, what are they doing? They don't they don't put any anything around him.
Scott: Not yet. Nasar Frankie Nasar is pretty gross.
Jamie: Frankie Nasar is very good. No question about it. But okay. Fine. Nazar is good. Yep. But what else is there?
Scott: Yeah. I'm not sure.
Jamie: The Sandozan Sharks are 1,000 times better hockey team
Scott: than Oh, and they also have the second pick. Yo. Maclin Celebrini is unreal. I was watching some of the world the the the world championships.
Jamie: Aren't doing too well then, are they?
Scott: I don't think they're doing as well as Canada, but they also Canada's got a stronger squad.
Jamie: 100%. Canada's much more in H.
Scott: I. There's like there's there's folks on, on USA. I was like, who? What?
Jamie: There's a lot of there's a lot of don't say I don't say amateurs. A lot of college kids or or just out of college
Scott: kids
Jamie: that are on, the USA team. Canada's roster doesn't look like that. No. They got, like Sidney Crosby and
Scott: Bouchard, nurse Right. Celebrini. O'Reilly, I think is the O'Reilly. Yeah. No doubt.
Jamie: Like, that that roster looks totally different. Yeah. You know?
Scott: But anyway, so just he's so good, dude. He is so good. He
Jamie: is like he's the fact that people are talking about him in the same breath as Sidney Crosby and Conor McDavid and, like, all these guys.
Scott: But he's doing the things that they do.
Jamie: That's what
Scott: I mean.
Jamie: It's it's it's ridiculous that he's that he's that good that this young.
Scott: It's unreal.
Jamie: I was 100% wrong about him. When he was at BU and he came out, I'm like, he's not gonna be
Scott: You were just but if he was at BC, you'd have been like, oh, this is the next Gretzky, but he's at BU.
Jamie: May maybe. Maybe.
Scott: Yeah. Maybe. Yeah. It is.
Jamie: Maybe. But, like, I I he didn't impress me in college.
Scott: Leonard scored it the other night.
Jamie: Ryan? Yeah.
Scott: But he had two goals maybe.
Jamie: Ryan Leonard's good. Ryan Leonard's hungry. Ryan Leonard's a great great player, but Ryan Leonard is not Maclin Celebrini. No. And Ryan Leonard's a fucking awesome hockey player.
Scott: Very good.
Jamie: Like, I would take him in a heartbeat on the Devils. He's phenomenal. And and again, I like BC, so I would I would take him in a heartbeat, but he's not Macklin. Macklin is and apparently Macklin's brother is, like, even better.
Scott: The younger one? Yeah. He has an older one.
Jamie: The younger one. The younger one apparently is like no
Scott: There's another Hudson coming too. There is. There's four Hudson's.
Jamie: There is.
Scott: Yes. Three of them.
Jamie: Is this one supposed to be better than the other
Scott: Lars. Three? Lars Hudson. I don't know. So it's
Jamie: Quinn Lane Cole. Lars is the younger one? Yes. Okay. Yep. Okay. Listen. We'll see. They make it Quinn's on Edmonton?
Scott: Quinn's on Edmonton. Yeah. Think it was playing in Bakersfield. I think that's their their club their Right. AHL affiliate.
Jamie: Cole got drafted by the by the dash the the Washington
Scott: Yeah. By the capitalist. The capitalist. Was Ron Leonard now.
Jamie: Yeah. Race playing with Leonard. Exactly right.
Scott: He pulled some crazy moves
Jamie: Dirty.
Scott: At the end.
Jamie: He's been He's been he's been very good. He's he's he looks good. He looks just like his brother.
Scott: Lane I don't know. Lane's
Jamie: He looks just like his brother. They both skate the same.
Scott: Lane's unreal.
Jamie: Yeah. They both skate the same, but like, I mean yeah. I don't know, man. I I listen. We started this conversation with you asking me about Mitch Marner. Like, I think some people are happy and some aren't.
Scott: Okay. Well
Jamie: Listen, Mitch Marner is a very can you imagine if he wins the Stanley Cup?
Scott: And then and then
Jamie: Can you imagine if he wins the Stanley Cup?
Scott: And what about what if and like he's a leading point scorer in the playoffs right now. What if he wins the Khan Smythe? Oh my god.
Jamie: That would be ridiculous.
Scott: If he brings the Khan's this is what they were saying on Chiclets I was listening to.
Jamie: After they all of them were saying that he can't get it done in the playoffs.
Scott: Right. He's gonna bring the Stanley Cup and the Khan Smythe.
Jamie: Fucking Vegas.
Scott: He's gonna bring it back to Toronto when he goes
Jamie: home. Yeah. And you shove it in their fucking face. Hey, guys. Maybe you guys should be a little nicer than me, you media dickheads.
Scott: Party at my place.
Jamie: Right? Right? You can drink out of the cup.
Scott: They're charging you to costume fun.
Jamie: You can drink out the cup if I let you. Yeah. You know?
Scott: Oh, yeah. It's like
Jamie: a list. Oh, wait. And by the way, you're not invited. Yeah.
Scott: List of people who are not guys doing.
Jamie: He's like this. Hold on. Yep. He's like, you guys all didn't write very nice things about my No. Did you? Nope. He's like, you're not allowed to come? You're not allowed to come? You're not allowed to come? Yeah. A 100%. Right? Yeah. I mean, think about it. I mean, listen, if they get past the avalanche.
Scott: They're going to.
Jamie: I think they win the Steel.
Scott: It's not it's not a matter of if. I you might not be There's there's the Avalanche are not winning the next four games.
Jamie: I don't think so either, but I don't think so either. No. But Not. And if and again, I think that the winner comes out of the West.
Scott: The Stanley Cup champions.
Jamie: Yeah. The Stanley Cup winner comes out
Scott: of West. I think that that is a true statement if Montreal goes through.
Jamie: You think that Carolina will give them more of a run for their money?
Scott: I think Carolina would be the tougher opponent.
Jamie: They would. We talked about this last episode. I think you're a 100% right.
Scott: With it without a doubt.
Jamie: But I think Vegas wins regardless. I think I think that Jack Eichel and Mitch Marter are on a mission.
Scott: They're on a mission.
Jamie: I mean, dude, they're phenomenal hockey players.
Scott: Yeah. They they got a lot of talent on the team. And also that you know that dude Carter Hart, also their goalie who's went through all that stuff.
Jamie: Philly kid. Was a was a fucking Philadelphia guy. Yes. Yeah. He went through a lot of stuff with a
Scott: With all that.
Jamie: With a guy from the Devils. Mean, I was like a whole big shit story.
Scott: A bunch of them. Yeah. Yeah. Well, talk about it. Like He's crushing it. Yeah.
Jamie: He's crushing it. But didn't they have, Logan Thompson, the rookie of the year two years ago or so? Not really, but he was a nasty rookie. Logan Thomas?
Scott: No. Logan Thomas plays for he's from Washington. He was on Vegas before he was in Washington. You're talking about Aiden Hill? Aiden Hill won a cup with them.
Jamie: I could have swore that Logan Thomas was on the Vegas Golden Knights. Am I wrong about that? Thomas.
Scott: Oh, maybe I'm the confused one.
Jamie: Am I wrong about that?
Scott: I don't know who Logan Thomas is.
Jamie: Or maybe it's Thompson. Maybe I'm saying his name wrong. Am I saying his name wrong?
Scott: I think so.
Jamie: Maybe I am.
Scott: It's the Washington Capitals goalie. Sir?
Jamie: I think you're right. Yeah. I think you're right.
Scott: Yep.
Jamie: But was I
Scott: mean, not all yeah.
Jamie: So who's the backup to Carter Hart?
Scott: Aiden Hill.
Jamie: Oh, yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. You're right. Who's also legit.
Scott: He won a cup with Vader.
Jamie: That's what I'm saying. He's also
Scott: legit. Yeah. He's very legit.
Jamie: I don't know, man. It's it's gonna be very interesting to see what happens with all this.
Scott: Well, I think we know who's gonna win tonight.
Jamie: You would think so.
Scott: And that game's on. So, you know It
Jamie: just started though. Started nine.
Scott: Oh, it started at nine? Are you sure? It just started eight.
Jamie: I'm looking at it right now, buddy. 00.
Scott: 00?
Jamie: Hasn't started yet.
Scott: Who's winning?
Jamie: The bears. How many how many people do you think got that, by the way? Well What's the score? Nothing. Nothing. Who's winning?
Scott: The bears. The bears. Well, you know
Jamie: Who do think who do you think who how many got that line? A lot. You think so?
Scott: I think so.
Jamie: I hope so. I I would think Abe Abe Froman would be very upset if
Scott: Abe Froman.
Jamie: A sausage king of Chicago. Your Abe Froman, the sausage king of Chicago. Renee. Renee.
Scott: When he's like walking down the street with the limp with the bloody like
Jamie: Oh my God. His legs like bleeding and all his pants are ripped.
Scott: So good.
Jamie: So good, dude.
Scott: I heard that you were feeling ill, headache, fever and the chills.
Jamie: Keep going. Do you remember
Scott: the rest? Something about your luck.
Jamie: I came to help restore Your your pluck? Your pluck because I'm the nurse who likes to and he slams the door.
Scott: You didn't see that one coming, did you?
Jamie: I didn't but that's a fantastic line from that by the way.
Scott: Yeah, when she's when the sister's up in the police station.
Jamie: And she meets Charlie Sheen?
Scott: Yes, Charlie Sheen cameo.
Jamie: Let me drag him outside. No, that's that's sorry. That's that's Major League. Oh. Another great another great movie by Charlie Sheen. I do it myself.
Scott: Anyhow. Yes. Now we're just talking anyway. Alright. What else? Anything else this episode?
Jamie: No. We got some pretty good interviews coming up. So stay tuned. Jimmy Dowd, Thursday, live on Instagram, 8PM Eastern Standard Time. Be there or be square. We're gonna talk some, NCAA recruiting, some five for five.
Scott: Let's go.
Jamie: I'm sure we can touch on some NIM money. There's a lot of create oh, we gotta talk we gotta talk some we gotta talk some Black Bear too.
Scott: Oh, yeah. We do. Bad press. Bad Black Bear.
Jamie: Dude, they hired a
Scott: Damage control. Major PR company. Were we watching watching that together? Did you share with me with Cory Booker?
Jamie: I think so.
Scott: When he when he was talking about when people, like, hire, like, damage control, like
Jamie: They're running. They're running. Yeah. Yeah. And listen. And now senator Chris Murphy from Connecticut is, like, all up in their grill
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: With this, like, keep because his kid plays ice hockey. So, like, they're they're coming after Black Bear.
Scott: Yeah. They
Jamie: are. I'm curious what's gonna happen. Like, I don't get I don't know I don't know what's gonna happen, but it doesn't look good for Black Bear.
Scott: No. Not so good.
Jamie: I mean, think about that. When the when The US Government comes after you and takes note of what you're doing
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: And they don't like it Yeah. I mean
Scott: You're either doing something really right or really wrong.
Jamie: Yeah. So we should talk to Jim. I I I mentioned him, you wanna talk some Black Bear? He said, yeah. So and like I said, and he's got he's got he's got a special guest. I don't know who it is, but there's a special guest. So he said, may drop in.
Scott: Okay. Let's go, Jimmy dad. Which would be pretty sick.
Jamie: Yep. Jimmy dad always brings the action.
Scott: Yeah. He does.
Jamie: I expect nothing less from him.
Scott: New Jersey's finest. Let's go.
Jamie: 100%.
Scott: Thursday night, 08:00. And I think that's a wrap, Senor.
Jamie: Alright, buddy. Sounds good.
Scott: Alright. Good to
Jamie: in the books.
Scott: In the books. Game over.
Jamie: Love it. Oh, Mario action.
Scott: That's what's up.
Jamie: 60 eight. Later. Later.