Japanese Comedian Go Takeuchi, AKA Black Samurai, joins us to talk about the changing media landscape in Japan and how it could affect the level of diversity in entertainment. Also, what do you really have to do to make it big in Japan, and why haven't any of us done it yet?
Ollie's river cruise recommendation starts off so close, and ends up so far.
Bobby isn't letting that Google/YouTube outage last week get in the way of him BEING CONSTANTLY ONLINE, producing mediocre content, and just generally living his best life.
Topics discussed on this episode range from:
- Another angle for selling trainers
- Go's Funniest YouTube Video about how invasive Japanese people get when they meet someone mixed-race
- His go-to-tactics for avoiding annoying people
- What it's like to quit a talent agency in Japan, and why more and more entertainers are doing it
- Go's experience as a black Japanese person in the entertainment industry, and why more diverse looking talents remain rare
- How Bobby became the Best Bobby
- The rare appearance of a VERY POLITICALLY INCORRECT Bobby Judo joke
- A rundown of some of the bigger foreign(ish) names in Japanese comedy today, and which of them write their own jokes
- Whether or not the way foreigners portray foreignness on TV and the way in which Japan interacts with it can be harmful to real people
- Why Japanese TV has a real "one-at-a-time" vibe when it comes to types of foreigners
- What happened to change the way Go felt about his identity issues
- The necessity of dealing with visual perceptions in comedy and the differing ways in which Western and Japanese cultures deal with it
- A generation gap in terms of what kind of media Japan is ready to/wants to consume
- Go's search for his Cameroonian father in Italy and a TV shows interest in it
- His "Rental Black person" service
or Tweet to us at @jbrcpod
The Video of Matsumoto Interviewing Soejima Jun.... was up on Youtube but looks like the account was deleted
Go’s video about the kinds of Japanese people that mixed race people hate.
Other things to click on
Some are affiliate links because we're sell-outs
- We record remotely using Squadcast and the podcast is hosted on Transistor.
- Bobby uses the Samson Go Mic and Ollie uses the AT2005USB mic
What is Japan By River Cruise?
Stand-up comedians Bobby Judo and Ollie Horn purport to report on the Japanese river cruise industry each week.