Bo: So those reports of signing stuff are then maybe true.
Duncan: Well, this is Ennis.
Bo: Nobody ever really leaves. Drop it, duncan. And.
Duncan: Buck come correct. My er, my older brother, was talking about going to. He's never been to America and he quite fans. He'd go into New York in December for like Christmas and all the rest and I was like not this year. I was like if that was you, I'd avoid America for at least the next year, next year in a bit. I was like that post-election thing, whichever way it goes, there's gonna be fucking anarchist.
Bo: One way or the other. Yes, it isit's going to be a real mess, but, like you know I mean.
Duncan: Here's the thing Is if, if the Democrats lose, there's gonna be a lot of like yeah, they will like, they will accept the loss It'll be protests in the streets and marches and that kind of shit.
Bo: But that's gonna be kind of the extent of it, yeah.
Duncan: A precedent has been set, though, both Right, that you can just like take up arms and erm, you know, the worst that'll happen is that'll take two, maybe three years and you'll do a little bit of time that someone will get you off with.
Bo: So yeah, that sounds sexy. I like the sound of that. I know, always, always, always, sexy Erm. Sobut I speaking of stuff that Speaking ofof the sex, no erm. So I'm. This is my spring break. I'm off this week.
Duncan: Woo Spring break.
Bo: Man, I was so fucking tired, I was like I was angry at the kids. Uh, when I left, With some reason, With somelike, it wasn't just like free-floating anger.
Duncan: Yep, I do like the version where you get ready to go and just play the game and you know what your problem is. Man I was speaking of, you know what?
Bo: your problem is Steve.
Duncan: You're a real shitting kid, steve.
Bo: But I mean kind of, there are some real shitty kids Ermuhlike. The reason I was angry was, uh, it was the day before spring break started and I was like, hey, we're just gonna play a game and I'll give you some bonus points. It was like awe were playing Balder Dash. Have you ever played that before? Where you Well.
Duncan: I know what the term Balder Dash means.
Bo: It'sthere's also a variation that Jackbox uses called Fibbage. But it's basically. You're given a real word Yep, that is kind of kooky, right. And then you make up a definition for it and if you guess the right definition of the word you get a point. You also get points if people believe your crazy definition yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay so that'sthat's the game and we're having a great time, up until sixth period, when one of the kids just decides to be a real asshole about everything and I'm like you're fucking this up, like this whole time we had a good thing going here. Yeah, like you know how many times do the words we're gonna take it easy today come out of my mouth? Never, fucking, never, because I'm like I have a reputation for being kind of a hard teacher.
Duncan: And I like that reputation.
Bo: Andbut anyway. So sixth period was a bunch of assholes. And then my seventh period was a bunch of assholes too, and I discovered in between that one of the kids had completely ripped off the essay. He turned in from another class and it wasn't AI. God bless him. He didn't use AI, he just copied it from somebody else. The problem Good old-fashioned copy. I love it, yeah, but the problem was that class had an entirely different prompt for their essay. So when I read it, I'm like this is not what your class was assigned. So like it was just like this confluence of events that really pissed me off. And so when I walked out the door on Friday, I was just like I was. I was angry at the kids for pissing me off because I was in such a good mood up until the end of the day and I'm like a couple of them really fucked it up for me, which you know. You're like I'm only human right, like I'm not going to penalize the kids or anything, but sometimes they piss you off, like you have kids. You know how it is. Yes. Every time you get a kid will just be kind of shitty and you're like, you're being kind of a shit and you're making life worse for everyone around you right now.
Duncan: My eldest is like too smart for her own good, like at the moment, and she knows she knows she's smart. So the the rebuttals at the moment are from someone that thinks that sometimes she is right, but she forgets that I control everything. So I told her more than one to pick your fight wisely. Yes, like, because like this, this right now, even if you get the moral high ground at the end of this, one iPad is gone. You're not chatting to your friend Like I have. I wield that power right, I am the authoritarian state in this household, so we will do. Wield your words wisely next.
Bo: So yeah, yeah it. But you know, again, short sightedness is kind of part of the bag when you're talking about kids that like we'll just shoot them.
Duncan: Time is nothing like turning your old, you know, I mean.
Bo: I have to remind myself every now and again, like you know, this is a 14th of their life. Yeah, I mean that's a lot and so. So I have to like, yeah, I have to check myself every now and again because you get so frustrated, because you're like you dumb shits, this is important because if you don't know this stuff. You're going to end up working a job that's not going to pay you anything. Yeah, and you're going to have to work twice as hard or half as much. And there's, this doesn't matter, I'm like all right, I'll fucking see you the next time. I need my gutters cleaned, I guess.
Duncan: I tell you right now, one day, 15 years from now, you're going to be like I wish I'd just listened to that class at Mr Randall. Just follow these like that. You don't want to be a footnote in someone's kind of I wish I had have. Instead of yeah, yeah.
Bo: And you know, you talk to people like there's, there's a guy that works as a partner, that part of the maintenance staff at the school, and one of the things he says over and over again, like we talk about a lot about just how the kids are, like you know, they don't listen to shit because they know everything. And he's like I wish I could tell him. He was like man, I didn't grow up wanting to work at, you know, a high school maintenance job. He was like it's not terrible, but that's not what I wanted to do. Yeah, and he was like but I fucked around and at a certain point and you just and that's why they're the kids I'm like, look, you have to start making decisions about what your life is going to be, because either you make those decisions or something. Yeah, yeah.
Duncan: But you know again, mostly falls on deaf ears.
Bo: You try to you try to impart a little wisdom, but they're just like but I did, like I had a right up a kid that the asshole in six period told me that he didn't, he didn't care about me or the game. I could go fuck myself and I was like, all right, cool, yeah, I mean I don't, like I don't argue about him. Like okay, yeah, I don't argue about him, I don't argue about him. I mean, I don't like, I don't argue about him Like, okay, yeah, like I know where this goes and what this means is. You will be talking to an assistant principal soon and, if I'm very lucky, you're going to be gone for about four days, which would be great, that would be great for all of us. But it's like you you talk about the power. It's like, you can act out however you want, but at a certain point you just get bounced out of here.
Duncan: Yeah, that's literally what happens.
Bo: Yeah, so you know, keep it, keep it, the fuck up. That makes my life easier. But over so over spring break, I got to tell you another thing I did, yeah, so my dog, because you know I go off to school and I'm there for many hours and my dog has a little bit of separation anxiety. And I was talking to the vet about and the vet was like hey, there's, there's kind of two solutions for this. Well, really three.
Duncan: One is you don't leave and that's not, you know, not feasible.
Bo: And the the second one is we give your dog a medication, basically dope him up during the day, and then comes and then right, and the problem isn't giant, it's just he likes to chew on pillows and shit like that. He gets anxious and chews on shit, but no cords or anything super valuable, Like every now and again. I got to replace a $20 Comforter but, but he was like, so we dope him up, or he was like but the downside of that is that he's not going to be able to get a good reason. He was like, but the downside of that is you know, you're doping up your dog for no good reason and you're not there, if there's anything that goes wrong, and my dog's a little bit older and blah, blah, blah. So he was like the final solution, not the one you're thinking, the other solution did his hands start to levitate up hey? Pulling it down like strange love. The final solution for your dog.
Duncan: All of a sudden I quieted and you have an access.
Bo: Yeah, it is quite a struggle with your dog, I know. I have struggles too.
Duncan: I brought them in this book. You may have read a bit.
Bo: But so anyway, the other solution was he was like you can try getting another dog, Cause he'll just keep him company. And he was like, honestly, you've got a dog and they're not them. Like having two is really not an exponential amount of work.
Duncan: Yeah, it's really not like that, like once you understand the effort of one dog. It's not like kids, once you understand the effort of one dog. Two dogs is not that much more More food.
Bo: Slightly more expensive, but you know. So I've been auditioning dogs.
Duncan: Like you just Next. Yeah, Like if you get, if you get an audition dog you need to watch yourself. If it comes in, carry in a burlap sack, you get out of there. I was thinking more. Chorus, live like just sitting in a theater, hello honey Right Next.
Bo: I just I don't, I don't like the emotion on the sleep Anyway, so, uh, so we've tried dog number one, and I wanted to do this while it was here for spring break. So I had a few days to kind of spend with the dog and I was like, yeah, cause it's not just Johnson, but there's the cat and you know, let's make sure that's not a nightmare and that it's not pissing, shitting all over the place and that. And uh, so dog number one um kind of came out of nowhere and cause I was planning on doing this actually over the summer and then like kind of a friend of a friend from school was like hey, I know some people who are giving away this beautiful, beautiful dog Lab. would you be interested? I was like I was going to kind of wait but I am all for the next few days and that might work out. So in comes Remy, the chocolate lab for Remy. I love it and and she's beautiful and sweet and like. It's like having a little Tasmanian devil loose. I love it. She is just knocking shit over. Things are falling off walls, like it was. It was fun to have her, but it was also like this is not the energy I'm looking for. Yeah, she's, yeah, she's a lot, um. So Remy goes back and then she's like I'm going to go back and I'm like what, what?
Duncan: is this.
Bo: I'm like I'm going to go back and I'm like okay, I'm going to go back and I'm like I'm going to go back and I'm like I'm going to go back and I'm like, okay, so Remy goes back, and then we're on dog number two now.
Duncan: Hmm.
Bo: Dog number two is his is named cash Yep and so cash, it's cash.
Duncan: It's cash. Tangled she's too. That's the flopping, the plans Did you go?
Bo: for plans. Yes, cause when I'm, when I'm thinking is as soon as I I like I go to check check out the dog. Yesterday and as soon as I see the name cause it like I went to a shelter and there were like three different dogs that look like they could be good fits and I wanted to introduce my dog to them and see how that goes. And um, so cash was dog number one. Johnson and cash get along pretty well, like they're kind of indifferent to one another, but it's like, okay, that's fine. Um and uh, so cash is coming home, but the entire time I knew I was, I was going to hang out with this dog cash, and I'm thinking of, you know, tango cash.
Duncan: And I like.
Bo: So I'm thinking. Well, clearly, cash is not his real name. Yeah, the real name of the dog in my head is Mary and waggetty, and everyone calls him cash. I'm so glad you found it as funny as I did, Cause I was fucking delighted. Duncan, I'm glad you found it. I've caught myself because and he's been mostly really good, but the couple of times that you know he sniffed something and acted like he was going to pee on it or something. Like waggetty, like I'm the chief, you know, and it's, it's pretty fun, yeah, so he is currently lying by my feet and really stinking up the joint because he hasn't had his bath yet, um, and he, he smells like the fucking pound, um, but he's a, he's a real sweetheart of a dog. Um, he's. He's still freaked out a little bit, of course, so, um, you know, we're working on the cat thing, but other than that, he's been a real dream. So, yeah, yeah, yeah. So it seems like and I was a little worried because on the way out they were like, well, we've had a little trouble with this one, yeah, and they were like, well, he likes guns, um, they're, they're like, well, he's not good with little kids. I'm like that's fine, I don't have any of those. And they were like well, and and he kind of got into it with a dog at another house and and he's been fine with Johnson, and so that hasn't been a problem. And just keep an eye on it and whatnot. But so far, so far, so good. I got like a two week trial period with this dog so I can take him back for a full refund.
Duncan: I like how you increased the volume of saying that when you knew it was at his feet.
Bo: Yeah, yeah, that's right, buddy, you can go back anytime. I don't even have to have a good reason, I can just take him back, Um.
Duncan: Oh dear.
Bo: I like it. Uh, I think I told you this, but a buddy of mine, uh, for my birthday got me that cover of national lamp. Not the cover, but the whole magazine the one with the dog on it. And literally it's hanging up in my bedroom and last night the dog is is in there and looks at that picture and I was like I don't. Obviously it's a dog and probably is not making any sort of association, but in my head it's another. Like oh fuck, what the this guy got pictures like guns pointed dogs later and he like what kind of kind of fucked up situation am I in right now? Am I in a hostel?
Duncan: My, uh, my pug used to a ration, In fact still does it rationally bark. When black people were on the TV and I started a true story, I started Googling is my pug? And I put the, put the R and it all connected to racist. Sure, Um, like straight away, Um, and I haven't been able to work out why. But but then it did occur to me pugs come in two different colors, like that kind of fawny color or black. So I wonder if he sees that and associates it as a punk or or just you know he either that or he is also, and we are then like worshipers of the final solution. I don't know what are the two he might be full on.
Bo: But when he's moving around the room is it like little goose steps, Little corgi goose steps.
Duncan: Yeah, he does. He does kind of like a poor comes up in front and then like that when he's walking.
Bo: Yeah, yes, I just a real Chris March, which you don't normally see in a pug. So, anyway, this is done. You're welcome, correct? We're talking about the finale, duncan, the final episode of true detective, season four. What is a? Lopez has visited upon us.
Duncan: Yeah, like ours, I like to call it the episode that broke the Internet.
Bo: You know. So this is the lowest rated of all the episodes. If you look at IMTB, which seems fucking crazy to me, yeah it's the lowest rated in terms of like people rating online.
Duncan: Yeah, it's the highest watched episode of true detective ever. Sure, yeah, like this, this, like, if you, if you want break it down, there's a lot of people confused as to why it's a Lopez has been given another season of true detective out with the fact that I think she nailed this, and you have to take into account that every single episode week on week collected 15% more viewers over its entire six episodes. Oh, wow, that's impressive that it's like if you break down the, if you break down the numbers, it's a 10 to 15% increase in viewership per episode. That's not overall for the season as per episode. That's nuts. So, yeah, like they locked her in ASAP. Well, that's why that news dropped. What we were talking about on the previous recording, like it was like the finale came out and then two days later it was like she's coming back for another season and I was like that seems a bit quick. And then I did a bit reading the numbers and if you are HBO or Max or whatever they're called now, you lock that down now Because no TV show does that week on week. Well, that's almost unheard of, especially in an anthology terms. Even things like American Horror Story, when it was at its peak, zenith didn't do that. As a TV show carries on, you lose viewers or people forget, or they'll catch up with it in a couple of weeks. I'll bank the episodes or whatever. No, no, no, no, no, no. This 10 to 15% week on week, it's the highest watched episode. The true detective was the finale, but that appears to have come with a little bit internet backlash.
Bo: Well, and you know, for my money. I mean, obviously we're going to be getting deep, deep into this episode, but deep, deep. But you know it's a Lopez, I thought, pulled off a really neat trick, which is use all the stuff from the first season that people found fascinating and did the deep dives on. I do that part of it, but also do these like clever. You know little winky nods to horror movies and then tell your own story and like she did all of those things in a way that I found really fun and satisfying and interesting. Yeah, I mean, that's tough.
Duncan: Yeah, there's one or two things that I thought were like clearly clumsy shoe horns from from the first season, specifically in this last episode where I was like right, okay, but I to me, if you, if you do, if you do a little bit of reading on it. And basically and I mentioned this in the first episode that we reviewed she went into HBO with a pitch for a TV show called Night Country and they said we'll love it. How about True Detective, night Country? And apparently she said at the time what's a true detective? And they were like aha, and she went away, she watched season one, she fucking loved season one, and then rewrote the script and put, like you know, put bits in that would kind of give a I think it is less. I look at it, more of it's trying to ground it in the same universe, rather than this is a direct continuation or being joined. I think the comparisons are the things that tie the stuff together is done in a way where I don't think it's egregiously saying you need to pay it, like we mentioned this before, like if you watched season one of True Detective I mentioned at the time, like clearly says that the Russian cold did not die of you know leukemia or whatever it was. He didn't have that. He never had that disease. Yet in season four he had that disease. Tuttle was a smaller regional thing in season one. It's a conglomerate in season four. So it's using terminology, but it's like even the spirals. The spirals go a different way in this season. So it's almost like a mirror of that. And you can go one step further and say season one is in the Texas sun, you know, it's warm, it's humid and all the rest, and this one is vastly dark and cold. It's like it's almost a mirror image and as a result, if you take it that way, the hints of things more horror or esoteric in season one are far more predominant in their horror, and so it's almost like the mirror image of it. So, from that point of view, the fact that two women instead of two guys, like, if you let you go, you go down that road. You want to go one step further, one step even further than that. Who saves the day? This, the women that are wronged so like it's almost a mirror image of season one in a lot of respects. And I think, people, I think there's two things that we need to kind of take into account when talking about tree detective and I think it's more evident now that Nick Pizzalato is no longer there and I think, once we, once we grasp this and understand this, I think, like you either are on board or you're not and the thing I think we need to take into account is there are some people that cannot see past season one and will never be able to see past season one, and that's fine. Season one is an incredible season of television, arguably one of the best ever made. Like, front to back, it's just absolutely incredible. But they can't see past that, right? So like, if it's not season one, then it's. You know, it's a mockery of the name, right? They don't understand what an anthology is, right, there's that. And then there's the other part, which is. I think there's a lot of people out there that did not want this to succeed, because they see this as and my eyes will almost roll in the back of my head and not come back as some sort of woke agenda TV show, because it's all about female empowerment and all the rest, and I think, if that's your read from this when you come away at the end, you are a lazy, lazy, lazy person.
Bo: Yeah, and not understanding that the characters in this show are deeply flawed, like there's not a hero to be found. I mean, there is but it's not like they're not like we've got girl power, we can solve this. It's like they're doing it for their like the most human of reasons.
Duncan: Yeah, this is, this is haunted them Like. This is like an actual physical haunting, as opposed to the kind of esoteric content that's in the show. Well, it's a little bit said in an interview kind of post this show coming out, that she wanted to highlight the fact that indigenous women and there's plenty of cases of stories now or everywhere Indigenous women can be murdered, they can be raped, they can phone for help from law authorities and they are completely, they are unseen, they are disregarded. And I think she pulled off maybe arguably the greatest master stroke ever in this TV show by making the most obvious prominent candidates in this one and this season the killers that even the audience disregards all the way right through. We spoke about this in the second episode where I'm like the you know the fingerprint thing, missing fingers, and we're like, yeah, but I would, that was parked and we went off in this. We went off on the fucking, the red wave conspiracy of you know, maybe it's this, maybe it's that be like all done, all these roads and ultimately, when it swings back around to give you its answer, she, she, she hit the nail on the head Like she gave you the most plausible explanation of all really, and it worked. There's a couple of things she's left spooky and I kind of love that about it and I very much am looking forward to see what she does when writing truly a true detective TV show moving forward and not a story that she's caught in true detective into, and that's what I'll say upfront. I thought this landed really really well, so much so that I would rank this as my second favorite no, sorry, third favorite season of true detective.
Bo: This is probably my second favorite season overall, nice. I really. I was talking to a friend at work about this, the finale in particular, and she kind of summed up, I think, how I felt about it, which was I enjoyed the finale so much it made me like the rest of the season even more.
Duncan: It ties it all in yes, and it was not in a way where it ties it all in and not in a way where you're like, oh yeah, that was the guy that was cutting the lawn, like they do. I forget that every single time that you see him like really early on and he's a back, it's a Scooby Doo thing, you know what I mean? Like you see, like the lighthouse keeper right at the beginning, and then you see him at the end when he's unmasked, or the Jello thing. I mentioned Jello because I've not mentioned it in a while. The Jello thing of it's the character you walked past right at the beginning, like it's that way where it's in front of your face but it's inconsequential, so you disregard it, and then you go in for the big conspiracy, which is far sexier, and then the ultimate reveal is the thing that makes the most logical sense.
Bo: We were asking the wrong questions, duncan we weren't in.
Duncan: That was even the.
Bo: I was like oh, I know it was so good. It's all a sweet spot.
Duncan: Fosster, by the way, is like hands down, fucking incredible in this episode, like she's given awards.
Bo: She's got a delivery and I've got. We'll talk about when we get to that point my notes. But there is one delivery that she has in this. That is maybe my favorite Jodie Foster delivery ever.
Duncan: She is like just a crock like the whole, the whole arc of her character, not even just in the whole season. Just this episode is chef's kiss. Yeah, it is phenomenal. I was reading, I was reading the like. I've been reading uploads on this. People go that, you know, you know. And surprisingly, Jodie Foster I'm like she's got a fucking Oscar. I mean what we're doing here?
Bo: Don't call it a comeback. Like Jodie Foster has been legit. Have you ever seen a fucking panic room?
Duncan: Like across the boat, like she does not phone it in. Yes, she's been in some shitty movies. I'm looking at you, elysium, like she's been in some shitty movies but she's never say. Like she always commits to the role and when you hear once again from the reading and all the rest, like Jodie Foster, like had specific views on how she wanted to play this character and one of them was she wanted to age the character. This character was supposed to be younger and she wanted her more age, time, weather, grizzled, narrowed and all the rest. Like she, I think she may have also added the alcoholism in there as well as an element to the character that she brought to the table, which, once again, it's a low-pes Well done. Like you're listening to Jodie Foster, academy Award winning Jodie Foster and her comments on a character and incorporating that in it's just ah well, I mean, there's a reason that you hire Jodie Foster and it's not so that you can tell her how to do her job.
Bo: No no no, no, yes, you have been doing this. You've been playing this game for 50 years now. Yeah, you know what the fuck you're doing. What do you think this character needs? Great, let's do that. Let's do that. You know and her instincts are right, like this is one. Her character is one of my favorite characters. I think it anything ever. I just I love. I love how flawed she is and how, yeah, I just love everything about it. I like I love the fact that she she is fighting for a thing because that's what there is to do, yeah, and and she fucks it up a lot, but she keeps at it and there's something like noble about the character. Like from the first episode it's like, oh, she's going to be like almost the Sherlock Holmes kind of character. It's like, well, yeah, if Sherlock Holmes had a weird sex addiction and was alcoholic and has this horrible relationship with her daughter and is haunted, yeah, I mean, it's just like she's the embodiment of the, the line in the episode where she says was it, you'd be surprised what?
Duncan: you'd be surprised what humans can overcome, or you'd be surprised what a person can live through, yeah, yeah. Like she is the embodiment of that as a character Like, and why she's saying it like preach.
Bo: And and. So we start like we'll, we'll, again, we'll, we'll get into this a minute, but you know we're just champing at the beat, yeah.
Duncan: Like it's too difficult, not to it's too difficult not.
Bo: To.
Duncan: You're going to ask me what my good is. I have not watched anything bad. My good is Jun two, which is like, hands down, a sci-fi masterpiece as fucking unreal Okay.
Bo: I second I think you said June two and I was like what was June?
Duncan: No, june two is July, so that's what that's. It's June, squared I guess you're right. Yeah, doon to Denis Villeneuve, return on to close out the second half of the first book of June. And like, somehow, like proving, I think without a shadow of a doubt now, that he's the finest science fiction director of the last 50 years. This is, this is the murderers row. This guy has now been on is arrival Blade Runner 2049, june and June two. And like it's like, and this one is the most like, austin taste. This is the very definition of blockbuster. It is, it looks gorgeous, it's the hands of our score Maybe my favorite hands of our score the visual effects, the storytelling. Christopher walking plays the emperor, emperor, and he's he's like. You know, like he's Christopher walking. He's not trying to play, he's Christopher walking. He's like when fucking Alexander the Great is played by Sean Connery in time bandits, and you're like. He's like hello, I'm Alexander. And you're like no, you're supposed to be Greek, and he's not. No more worlds to conquer. It's like it's that way where he, where he appears, you just like oh, this is Jim. Yeah, it is absolutely jaw droppingly good and it's going to make all the money. I think this is the one that's going to. I think this is the one that is just going to mean that a Denis Villeneuve can do anything he wants for the rest of his career. Like it's holds I think it still holds the highest rating on IMDB ever given as dethroned Shawshank redemption. Oh wow. And that's literally to meet someone who has not come out of it and said that was incredible, Until now Duncan yeah. I'm actually going to see it on Saturday and I'm excited because oh yeah it's just like there is a scene where there's a section in the movie where you go to the hard corner in homeworld and you're introduced to what is the name of that?
Bo: planning again Lito prime. No, that's the tradies. I can't. It's got a cool name and I can't remember the name.
Duncan: Well then it go to anyway, and it's monochrome. Oh, it's just black and white. The whole thing shot black and white.
Bo: Oh, that's fucking crazy.
Duncan: What a great idea.
Bo: So it's so like, the idea being that the the atmosphere filters out all kind of no idea.
Duncan: You want to fucking explain it and I just sat there and, like my jaw was on the ground, got that right. This is like a like we're going to like once we step out into the sun. It's going to know the shot, using it, does x-ray something I can't remember. There was a big piece on how he he shot I using this technique that you don't usually see and, yeah, the whole scene as you're introduced to is nephew, who was played by sting, and the original one who's played by the did that played Elvis in that Elvis movie, austin and he's introduced and at this point, and the whole planet, like there's a huge empathy or thing where fight. That just is fucking like. You're sitting watching this and you're just like what wait, how did we? What did we? How did it go? Fucking, head explodes everywhere, john. Next, next level, next level storytelling. Getty prime is the yeah, that's the plan.
Bo: Yeah, that's great. What a great idea that's. That's fucking cool.
Duncan: I will tell you no more about it, but I will say this you will fucking love it.
Bo: I look, you know we've talked about doing before, but that much like zodiac, that is just a movie that I can throw on and I just wallow in. Yeah, and it's wonderful. I love all the nooks and crannies of it. It's just like now I just want to watch zodiac again.
Duncan: I'll probably watch zodiac tonight. But I have nothing else I want to bring to the conversation to you as really kind of preoccupied. Pretty much all of my times in the watch now it's just been like this is yeah, yeah.
Bo: So my good is actually a book. Oh, I, just a while back I finished this, but I want to bring it up again because it's so fucking good. But, it's a book called Boys in the Valley by an author named Philip Frikasi, f R A C A S S I, who had never heard of before, never read anything by the guy before but this is one of my favorite horror novels I've read in some time and I usually I try to read about two a month, yeah, and anyway it's. It's a little bit evil dead, it's a little bit exorcist and it's a little bit See, if you see country I'm out. So the premise is it's in like turn, turn of the 20th century, so like like early 1900s, and it's a Franciscan run or a priest run orphanage just out on the prairie, you know, kind of a little bit away from town, and one night as the snow comes in Duncan, some guy shows up with, you know, in custody of the police, wounded, gravely wounded, and the guy should be dead by all accounts, I bet by everyone looking at him. They're like this dude should be fucking dead and he's not. And then finally he does die, but only after like saying some shit about priests and then expiring in a way that knocks like a crucifix off the wall and stuff like that. And so that's kind of the beginning of it. And then a bunch of the kids at the orphanage start to act pretty weird and so you get this kind of siege moment where there are a bunch of these you know orphans and you know how I love a good killer orphan, but there are a bunch of killer orphans running around like being evil and shit and a few survivors trying to survive this. But it's just. It's so well written, it's so much fun. It's kind of mean spirited. Even the end is dark in a way that is satisfying without being completely nihilistic. Anyway, it's super good. Eventually somebody will make a bad movie of it, but the book is. I'm telling you right now, go check out the book Boys in the Valley. It's. It's scary, it's fun, it's thrilling, like it's one of those like real page turner kinds of books and and was a tremendous amount of fun. So that's my good for the week. I know you said you didn't have anything bad, but let me look, I'll take care of this, duncan, because I saw Aquaman too. Why would you even put yourself through that? You know, so I'll tell you. The reason is is because I'm like, hey, this is the last hurrah of that DCEU stuff. You know, like the flashes out, aquaman too is kind of the last like post James Gunn or pre James Gunn DC stuff that you're going to get. And so it's just curious, like, how do they, how are they going to send this out? And it turns out with a big wet fart because nobody cared. And James Wan directing again, which is interesting I'm glad he's making his big nut. And there are moments where it's like, oh, this feels like a James Wan kind of thing, because this little thing is kind of creepy or weird or whatever. But it's just, it's. It is the most tired ass tired superhero shit which, at this point, like that's, that alone is tired. And this is a tired version of that. And it's yeah, it was. I fell asleep for a good 20 minutes of that during the runtime and woke up and I was like I clearly miss nothing, because this is, we're just doing more of the same dumb shit. It's, yeah, it's. It's just a real bad movie. I'm glad, whatever the new DC stuff is going to be, I'm sure it's going to be more in the vein of like Suicide Squad the James Gunn Suicide Squad which is fun and I and I imagine, like the Superman will be more earnest and a little more like oh gee, christopher Reeves, superman, which is fine, like all of that is fine, but honestly, who could give a fuck? Like, who could care at this point? And I go into is the thing that reminded me like, oh, I just don't care about any of this anymore and I need to never watch it again.
Duncan: I did love them. There was a, there was an article it was towards the end of last year where they were saying that superhero movies were underperforming and they couldn't quite work out why. And I was like that because it's four movies a year, every year to the last almost 20 years, I mean audiences will eventually why is horror movie? Because it is different, is one and done for the most part Needless sequels is rising from the grave much like a zombie. I mentioned this, I think, on the last recording. Why on earth anyone thinks it's a good idea to invest money in a black phone to is beyond me. Just give money a different director to make something else that Joe hell's written Like. What would what we do here like?
Bo: It's like slap like from the creators of the black phone all over it and like, oh, I like that movie. Let me go to this other movie, 100% like that. That's how you get me into the cinema, or even smile to where I'm like. You know what smile was? I really like smile. I had a great time with it. Don't need a sequel.
Duncan: Yeah, one and done. Yeah, why do we need to? Why do we need something that will not be as good as the thing that we just have? Enough in there that make you remember why you enjoyed the first movie Also why you don't enjoy this one?
Bo: Well, fuck all that noise, duncan, let's get into. Let's get into detect. That's why we're here, that's what we're here for it and.
Duncan: Longest ever episode of true detective, and I will say this and to when it comes to talking about this episode. Actually, I don't think we're going to be talking for nearly as long as we've talked about some of the other episodes, I agree. I agree Straight down to business, straight line storytelling.
Bo: So Very much. It does like there are. There are some things along the way that we'll definitely need to dig into you, but for the most part, this is like hey, we are getting answers to the to the questions that have been posed. Yes, and it starts off even with them, like when last we left our heroes, they were driving towards the ice caves Night country, if you will and then we we open the show with them busting through the ice to get to the ice caves and we get the little insert like this is December 31st, the 14th day of night, and Navarro goes in first, danvers comes in behind her, and then they start looking around in these ice caves and then Navarro, spidey says, start stinging where she's like oh, there's a ghost. And so like leads Danvers through like all these kind of tight spaces and so forth, and Danvers is getting real pissed off like God damn it, navarro, these are some real uncomfortable caves, dr Lecter, let's get out of here. But but all of this leads them to a collapsed tunnel. Yeah, dead end. Yeah. So and Navarro is like I can't you hear her, like I can hear Annie calling me. I know this is where it happened. We've got to figure this out. And then, no sooner has Danvers insulted her for saying spooky shit again.
Duncan: I hope you fall through the floor as what she says and then all of a sudden she falls through the floor and down she goes like through the floor and Danvers is like all right, are you OK? Listen, dr Lecter, I'm going to go get help, and no sooner does she just kind of lean over the edge of that, and then she's leading over there.
Bo: She's like are you alone down there?
Duncan: Come back, you fucking bitch.
Bo: Yeah, that's what Navarro said. Why is this so feel so familiar? Wait, wait, do you have not vision goggles on.
Duncan: Danvers is like two steps away from telling her how reckless she was, and then, all of a sudden, floor gives away with her as well and she goes face down.
Bo: Yeah she hits hard, gives it a real like when she hits, which I really like. And as soon as they realize like oh, she's OK, they see somebody fly by yeah, they think is Clark and they give chase and Duncan, wouldn't you know it we end up in like an underground ice lab. Yes, like fucking die another day. And there's a moment I think it's Navarro, who's like Danvers, look up, and they look up and they see the spiral shape made from fossils frozen into the ice above them. That's a cool visual. And then we go to credits, because you know, how do you, how do you get out of that scene where it's just like look at this awesome shit, just go to the credits. So what then? After the credits are over, we join them back in this kind of underground lab, in the cave lab, and the first thing they find is a murder weapon.
Duncan: They pick up what looks to be like a drill bit and the drill bit is cross shaped, star shaped or whatever it was, and they're like ah, they remind you anything. So they take photograph for evidence and, yeah, this this would appear to be, if you're, if you're piecing things together on the murder weapon, which means that anarchy died here and Navarro is pissed as soon as she realizes like, oh, this is probably the murder scene.
Bo: She is like stalking around, yeah, like fucking Darth Maul. And then the sees that there's, oh there's this kind of scoop marks by the shelf of samples and they pull that out and, sure enough, there's a letter that goes up that leads into Duncan, the Solol station.
Duncan: So yeah. So how long were they in the caves? I mean, I must have been a while, because this whole ordeal lasts an entire day. The episode is pretty much an entire day, but they must have done something like, because one of the things that struck me about this one is when it's pointed out when fucking mad, crazy German, fucking what is he, yeah, when he was marking on the map like there was no point, they were like, look how close it is to Solol or anything like that at all. It looked to be isolated, but then this cave network could extend for miles, so it's conceivable. They went down there, they follow the caves down because we don't like it A bit of a distance anyway to ultimately be in the Solol station. So we basically have gone kind of full circle with Andy right back where we started, which is kind of awesome, is more ways than one, because as they get out into the Solol station and twisting shots playing again on loop.
Bo: Right, which, of course, jody Foster loves. I love this song.
Duncan: Yeah, well, she knows exactly how to get into that cupboard this time, so she ain't fucking around the time. God damn, she's doing it and I'll put you. Listen here, ralph, you can fuck my wife. You can sit in a postmodernistic, bourgeois house, and one thing you can't do with her is one thing I want, and I watch my motherfucking television. Well, she literally opens this cupboard, grabs a fucking thing, tears it out and yeah, there is. Bueller has once again been discontinued.
Bo: There is a cutaway to Danvers house where Pete is just cleaning up and taking a shower to wash the blood off of him. The blood of his father. Yes, we will. Yes, we will come back to that, but just a quick point like oh, that's going on in the background of all this other stuff. Navarro is tracking these wet footprints that lead right into a wall and Danvers, meanwhile, is tracking down like she sees some door swinging. As you know, clark, is that you?
Duncan: Yeah, I'm a federal agent, and hey, starling, did you forget to always check the blind spot?
Bo: always check the blind spot, because she doesn't check her blind spot and, as a result, she gets trained Well she gets locked in a room, like she goes into a room and part of the room is that they have like a freezer for all these ice cores that they, yeah, dug up, and she goes into that room and Clark shuts the door on her Right.
Duncan: Instantly. What I thought when this happened is right. This is how the scientists died Like. You know what I mean. Like that's my brain went I was like all right, walking freezer, why did we not like, why is this not been a theory before? Like a blast freezer, like that totally makes sense. That's how they died, turns out. No, I was wrong on that one Look at that in one of the.
Bo: Oh fuck, I love the that whole scene but anyway. So Clark is now on the loose in the station. Danvers is locked up in this core sample room and Clark just goes full Jack Torrance with.
Duncan: Well, that's it, this whole scene is like so fucking like. I love this a little bit. I really really do. I love the fact that she just on a bash a little bit of that they're shining. Let's tell it, let's just lean right into it Right.
Bo: So he brains Navarro with this fire extinguisher.
Duncan: At Mancar others right yeah.
Bo: And then she wakes up while she's being dragged also from the show and what she does, but in a real nice change of pace. Yeah, navarro, like, bust out. She finds, like this iron rod in there and like and bust, bust out of the core sample room, gets out of this freezer and goes to find Navarro. Who is fucking this dude up and she has to stop it. She has to like call time. She's like don't kill him. Jesus Christ Navarro, come on, dr Lector.
Duncan: Yeah, like, in this scenario, the person that you wanted to keep locked up in the blast freezer might be Navarro, like, and then maybe brain Jodie Foster you picked the wrong but like a fucking world champion boxing person this actress she is. She is on top of him. She is smacking the shit of her. But what I love about this is like Jodie Foster. Like Jodie Foster is not saving this guy.
Bo: No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.
Duncan: We need to ask him questions. We're going to ask him questions. Also, before we get to asking him questions, let's leave him with the tortured hills on loop dude Like it's so fucked up, man. The details in this episode are just fucking incredible, yeah.
Bo: So I mean, let's just skip ahead to that and then we'll come back to Pete. But yeah, so they duct tape him to a chair and Navarro is like did you love Annie? And he's like yeah, I'd loved Annie. And she's like good.
Duncan: And then sticks headphones in his ears and then duct tape, some yeah, and then plays her death video on loop, and then they put the tape over his mouth as well and switch the light off and then go to get a cup of coffee or something, or we're just going to leave him with that and leave him howling without a voice in the dark listening to the death cries of his love. It's just so fucking.
Bo: Yes, it is. It's raw. I really like it. Meanwhile, let's check back in with Pete, who's having a grand old time finding a tooth embedded in the wall.
Duncan: Most likely his dad's.
Bo: Most likely his dad's from when he shot his father.
Duncan: The closest that the molar is, the closest we get to the term more people in this episode, which once again shoots our theory out.
Bo: But yeah, there's no more people more people, but it's stuck in the morning.
Duncan: It looks like this I'm kind of need to, and then all of a sudden fucking like in Nevada not in Nevada Danvers kid comes in.
Bo: Leah, yeah, it shows up and it's just like yeah, you know, is is Danvers around, like we had a fight, and he's like no, no, everything's cool here, just just cleaning up around the house. Yeah, make myself useful, no big deal.
Duncan: He's standing awkwardly like Tom Sivir does and from the still dawn after being bitten yeah.
Bo: And Leah clocks it right away. She's like what is wrong with you? What's going on here? He's like, well, you know just everything going on with Kayla right now. And she's like, oh yeah, I guess that's cool. And then he's like you know what? In fact, can I just take you back there, cause the idea of them being alone on New Year's Eve kind of bumps me out. It would make me happy if, like you're not, like Danvers isn't here, she's off doing a work thing, why don't I take you back there? And then you, you're there to keep her company and et cetera, and she's like uh, I guess yeah maybe yeah, and it looks like you want me to turn my back for a couple of seconds.
Duncan: That seems a new route. Let me just face it over. Like cause, as soon as she turns to walk out, he's like writer and grabbing the tooth. Go fuck him. He just fuck him up, steam.
Bo: Steam clams. You say, yes, sir, that's what you call hamburgers. Yep, Steamed hams, um, anyway. So yeah, like you said, there's a quick like yawink as he grabs this tooth, uh, off the wall, which is, like you said, it's just a really gnarly detail to include.
Duncan: It's super gnarly detail, like you've just. You've just washed your father's blood off you. After, like, wrapping them up in plastic, like she's a lot of fucking parm, I'm putting her in the back of a vehicle to bury somewhere. I like you've just got through all that. You're like, and then you got to deal with this shit and just as you're getting ready to go dispose of your dance board, you turn around and he's fucking tooth's embedded in the wall.
Bo: We'll get to a discussion about this later that I dearly love Cause Navarro does not fuck around. She's just like he's fucked for life, isn't he?
Duncan: Yeah.
Bo: Yeah, we'll talk about that, anyway. So, uh, so he does take Leah back to uh Kayla's place. She runs in and then out comes Kayla right away, cause she knows there's something up Right, and he's like, look, I, I know this is fucked up, but there's a thing that I've got to do.
Duncan: And I can't tell you what's Danvers, what you're doing, and she's like Danvers didn't do anything. It's me, yeah, this is me.
Bo: Yeah, Um, and as he's telling her like, hey, once this is done, I'm with you a hundred percent, but I got to do this thing. And before he can even get it all out, like she kisses him and she's, she says uh, look, just come home. Yeah, when all this is over, just come home. And so then we go back to Salal as the storm by the way, I don't know if we mentioned this, but like there's the storm going on outside- massive Arctic storm, which you saw at the end of the previous episode that they were driving into.
Duncan: but this thing is fucking hellacious, Right.
Bo: Yeah, and they make the point like, hey, we can't go home, yeah, until this is over, yeah, and so, uh, they're as, they're stuck there and they're playing.
Duncan: You know, the horrifying video for this dude in the tape to the chair Danvers is eating funyons, which remember we mentioned funyons right back in the first episode, with the delivery driver bringing it. So she's having funyons.
Bo: Um uh. Navarro, on the other hand, opens the fridge and out rolls an orange, and we learned that her mother loved oranges and there's kind of a significance to that. Yeah, and Danvers meanwhile sees this bit of glass on the floor and we get a split second flash to her, like walking along the pavement where there's a lot of broken glass. Yeah, just for a second. And then when we cut back to her, she's kind of picked it out of her shoe and it's thrown it. And this is where Navarro says so is prior fucked for a life? Yeah, that's how she puts it. And and that's where Danvers is like maybe I don't know, and she says it's crazy, the shit that we survive. Yeah, um, but now they're ready. There's a moment where they're like so you think he's good? Yeah, let's go talk to him, and so they do. They, you know, unceramodiously rip the duct tape off his hair, which I was like. This may be the most painful thing in this whole episode, but, um, and he's ready to talk now. Yeah, so he tells them that he did not kill Annie.
Duncan: What I love about this. Well, this is the theme of this entire season is the stories that we tell. Yes, and we've had this all the way through. I once got to read some people complaining about the fact that you know he's saying one thing, but the, you know the, the, the, the, the, playing kind of both sides here by showing you one version of the truth and his version of how he's like, the way he tells that is his story, as if they've not used this technique before in this season.
Bo: Like they literally have on on the wheeler case, yeah, or that it didn't begin with a made up quote about an unreliable narrator.
Duncan: Yeah, at least all at a time as a flat circle, but, um, they've been all the way through it. But yeah, like the stories, the, the story that he tells is not what you as the audience see. So here is narration over actually what happened. What you find out, Bo, is kind of what we had pieced together. Once again, I love the fact that we kind of worked out a lot of this. May not put all together at the end, but the show really did dangle a lot of really obvious shit in front of us, um, and we just didn't ask the right question.
Bo: Yeah, I feel like we mostly got it right from way early on.
Duncan: Like so much of the stuff we got earlier, and I think it's just because we are preconditioned to watch things and try to extract every nuance. Yeah, um, but yeah, ultimately what happened is the clip that we'd seen on the phone, right of her screaming, is a small segment of her death, and it was in that room. Below we find out that she was in a relationship with Clark. We already knew that. However, she somehow got into the facility, thus once again validating her theory that maybe she was using him to get access. She's an activist, after all. Maybe she was already piecing things together. She needed access to Salal, so she started seeing Clark, who seemed a bit unstable anyway, so she got in there. During her time checking around, she managed to find the access to the lab and when she went down there, she found all these papers that ultimately proved that the scientists were actively and this is from his thing, because they're asking him about what the station does and he's like we found the cure. We found the thing, the enzyme, the organism, whatever we want to call it Like it cures everything. We found it, but we couldn't extract it in good enough quantities in order for us to do this. But what we did find out is actually the mine. It's pumping all this pollutant in the water. It's actually raising the core temperature, which is making it easier for it to do so. We kind of just turned a blind eye at that, fabricated some shit In order to do it. She found this evidence that basically the mine is the thing which we already knew, which is behind all the stillbaths, all the problems and all the rest, and they were covering up Her finding this. She then starts breaking the ice core samples which the main guy, the head guy, the guy who died in the worst pain in the hospital room he found her doing that and he just flipped and he did the old Sean Connery from, was it? It's not Gorillaz in the mist? Is it Gorillaz in the what's the movie where Sean Connery finds the cure for cancer?
Bo: Oh, Medicine man with.
Duncan: Lorraine Brocco. Found the cure for the plague on the 20th century, I've lost it. Yeah, like, so, like he. Basically, he sees this and he grabs the first thing he can find, star-shaped chisel, starts stabbing her. She screams out. Clark hears this. Clark wakes up, runs through, runs down, sees her, tries to pull him off. He smacks her. Then apparently all the scientists come down and it's a real kind of well, let's just hold her down, let this guy finish it. And this is what we're seeing. So once again we're seeing the validation of that part of the story when he says that you know, the all attack to the held him down and I had to watch it. That's what happened. Well, he doesn't tell them, but what we get to see, boy, she's not actually fucking dead.
Bo: Right, well, because Clark is like clean air up, like, oh, this should never have happened.
Duncan: Yeah.
Bo: She kind of wakes up and starts clawing at him, yeah For help, and he uses that same shirt or whatever he has, yeah To smother her.
Duncan: Yeah, it does the old.
Bo: Yeah, yeah, speaking of Nicholson, he gives her the old cuckoo's nest.
Duncan: Oh, 100%, yeah, Like he basically strangles her to death. So she died of asphyxiation and he's the guy that does it, but he doesn't tell them that and actually, right to the point that he dies, he's still claiming that he loved her and he didn't kill her. So once again, that's a detail that we now know that the detectives don't know. But I mean, I think the fellow that he's responsible, even by proxy, by virtue of not, he's an accessory, even if the worst case, like the best case scenario, is an accessory, worst case is a murderer and Navarro asks him about the tongue. Yeah, so he says that. He says like. He like they're like why did you cut out our tongue?
Bo: And he's like oh, we never did that Right Right, Right, Like we did a lot of fucked up stuff, but we did. We did not take her tongue.
Duncan: But the situation, the insinuation, is well.
Bo: He says they sent a cop to move the body. Maybe he did it as a warning to others. So the insinuation is hank did it. But like that doesn't really hold water, but neither does that.
Duncan: That's what I kind of love about this episode.
Bo: Yeah.
Duncan: Right there's. There's been a lot of confusion about the tongue Right and I was trying to find the best way to articulate this as something as to the symbolism behind the tongue Right, and the best I could get is a quote from and I took a screen grab of this because I was very proud of myself is a quote from famous Game of Thrones author, george RR Martin. He says that when you tear out a man's tongue, you're not proving him a liar, but only telling the world that you fear what he might say. So the tongue in this season like I once again did a bit deep diving and Isabel Pez is based at the said the tongue symbolizes Annie Kay's voice.
Bo: Yeah, that's how I took it. I hadn't read that, I'm just smart.
Duncan: No, that's what it means and as a result, it holds no more symbolism in this than that. Yeah, cool effect. There's a kind of cool ghostly detail to put here, but she doesn't feel the need to answer that question at all, and you know what? I'm fine with that.
Bo: Yeah, I mean, if it is, you know, presumably the spirit of Annie Kay it is it is a way for her to speak, to say, like you are, you are on my case now.
Duncan: Yeah.
Bo: Like you know when, when you are investigating the death of these men. But you can.
Duncan: You can tie all this. Like you said before, no one the whole season is the unreliable narrator Like this could very well, when we find out who the killers are, they could have easily, like the tongue could have been cut out and put beside the body as a you know snitches get stitches, sort of thing, and they could have found the body, taken that and kept it as a. One day when we find, we will place, even though they will get to, even though the murderers claim that they don't know anything about the tongue, that doesn't necessarily mean they don't know anything about the tongue.
Bo: You're right, yeah, I mean you're right. Like again, we can't be sure of this, yeah, but like it can be explained.
Duncan: It can be explained. It just can't be explained by virtue of someone in the episode seeing. They did or didn't. Yes, but yeah, you could easily squirrel that way.
Bo: So so I like this moment very much as well, where Navarro says say again that you love Danny Kay and he's like I loved her. And as soon as he does, navarro pulls her gun and Danvers just turns around and is leaving.
Duncan: Yeah.
Bo: Navarro is like aren't you going to try to stop me? And she's like nope.
Duncan: No, you do what you got to do. I'm going to try to stop me this time. I think is what she says and she's like nope.
Bo: And so we do get that. We get some resolution on this of what happened in the Wheeler house, because Danvers leaves and we get the flashback again of the dude sitting in the chair whistling, twist and shout, and Navarro comes back without having shot so, Clark, worth pointing out and Danvers says you know, I was about to do it when you shot him, Wheeler, I mean. And we get this moment that happens in the Wheeler house where, after you know, he's grinning and whistling and Navarro not Navarro but Danvers is kind of very slowly lifting her gun.
Duncan: Yeah.
Bo: And before she can do it, navarro, just like, pulls her gun and fires.
Duncan: Yeah, reflex. It's like that is very, very, very quick.
Bo: And yeah, so we kind of wrap that up as far as we also get the detail, although it's not really explained.
Duncan: We get the detail of a baby crying yeah, yeah, yeah. And once again I've read a few things where this upset a few people because it's not actually passed out and what I like. Once again, what I took away from this is them fabricating. The evidence is kind of twofold. One it's you know it's them covering the tracks and putting a guy who clearly wasn't fucking a nice dude, kind of putting a bow on that story. But the other thing I kind of took away from it was is it easier for that kid to grow up thinking that their mother was murdered or their mother committed suicide?
Bo: Right, and their father like hey, you're. If the, if the story is your mother was abused and murdered and then your father killed himself because he could not live with it or whatever, yeah, Then that's probably a better story than hey, she committed suicide and then oops.
Duncan: Yeah.
Bo: We got that a little wrong. We read the the room.
Duncan: So, yeah, I like that's how I took that. Once again the Internet, the Internet, the Internet.
Bo: So so when we come back to Danvers, she's peeling an orange and a spiral just exactly the same way that Navarro's mom used to peel them. And the orange falls and we get a moment where we see like frost on the ground where the tongue was.
Duncan: Yeah.
Bo: And in a very funny moment, danvers is like this this looks like a supernatural clue, dr Elector. and then Navarro comes in and she rises up really quickly and bangs her head on the like the underside of the table and gives a good fuck, which I really like, and but yes, she leaves a spiral behind on the plate, just just like you know Navarro's mom and also the spiral that we keep seeing, she also grabs a bottle of absolute on her way out, which is, you know, good, Well, well, well, well, well, well, well, Well, well, well, well, well. And they go to question Clark some more, because the one thing we don't know is OK, we know Annie Kay was killed there, but we still don't know what happened to the men.
Duncan: Yeah, what she like to me is all I've been screaming at my TV for about the past 10 minutes.
Bo: So that fucking ask him a bit more than the so, and so we do, and Clark says, like he'd been seeing Annie Kay and she and he knew that she was going to come for him. Yeah, and so when whatever happens, happens.
Duncan: Yeah, you know, when the base, when he felt that presence and the power, went out, he licked it yes.
Bo: To the shaft with the hatch.
Duncan: Yeah, and got on the other side of the hatch, so in the tunnel underneath and held on for dear life as he could hear the banging on top and these like the howling sounds and all the rest, all this commotion, and he claims that he is down there for days, which would track. I also love the fact that Danvers like suddenly puts it together Like this dude was here when we were here, like when we were, that he was all he was. He's been here the whole fucking time during this investigation. We didn't know about this thing. But also he came out for food when the delivery driver came through. So he doesn't actually know what happened to his colleagues.
Bo: He thinks the Vans for Ghost of Anarchy came and claimed them Right and tried to open the hatch, like he was holding the hatch closed and and had gone to look for Otis Heist to figure out how to survive. Annie and Danvers is like. Well, that doesn't make any sense, dr Lector, because you know he had quit long before that and the event that he survived was long before Annie was even born. And that's when and this, I think, is a little ham-fisted this may be what you were talking about when, when, he's like yeah, but Tom is a flat circle man and we're just stuck in it.
Duncan: Yeah, and like I, don't know how much of that, though, like this is. This is like I think. Go and listen to an interview with Issa Lopez. She's a very, very, very playful person, right. She's a big personality, and part of me does feel like she watched that for season. She fucking loved that for season. She maybe spent I don't know five minutes checking YouTube videos and she just saw how much of a cultural phenomenon that is. It was like that. I'm going to fuck with it. So I would not surprise me if that's a little.
Bo: Yeah. Yeah, I mean kind of fine right, Like it's not my favourite line.
Duncan: Yeah, it didn't upset me because they didn't handle it in the same way as it's handled in season one, like had they really went and like remember, like season one, like the time as a flat circle is all leading up to the fact that they end up hunting the wrong person, they end up killing the guy who is a murderer and is the meth cooker or whatever. You know that whole thing about the monster appearing and all the rest. That's where that comes from. That time as a flat circle is the bodies are appearing again because we didn't do our job right and evil will come up like that. And the case of this one, it's a throwaway line by someone who's mentally broken, who is like a well read and I believe that Clark read Nietzsche more than I believe that fucking. You know some of these backwards hillbillies have read fucking books on Carcosa. You know, I mean it's like it didn't bother me, I just kind of felt like it was, it was the obvious line to take from season one. You know, I mean I don't know if he said like I can smell it in the psychosphere, that would have more of an impact. I mean whoa, but you know it's clumsy, but it's not fucking because of that lane in the years. That the best thing I've ever seen.
Bo: Yeah, I mean one. One false note in this episode is not going to throw me off. No, of course not, but you sure enough. Danvers leaves on that note and and Clark tells Navarro like go ahead and kill me or let me do it. Yeah, danvers meanwhile goes to lie down in one of the you know crew quarters or whatever and finds a crucifix in her hair. So supernatural shit afoot.
Duncan: Yeah, for those not keeping count, the crucifix is the symbol of Navarro's mother, which has appeared several times in this season thus far in weird situations. But this to me, shows that it's kind of the supernatural element is now crossing over Like. So this is now, this is like we all at the moment. So far, most of the supernatural stuff, if not all of it, has happened to Navarro, and that's including the stuff that affects Danvers. So hold them communicating and all the rest. This is the first time, like we are so close to whatever event that's actually affecting Danvers. So Danvers is finding something that she can't, you know, can't square away, because how could she?
Bo: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Well, and we'll come back to this the whole question of the supernatural in this. But, there is a pretty good shot of Pete taking the bodies out to visit Rose as the street lights are going out, which is very cool.
Duncan: It's just a great shot. Yeah, Rose, in this episode as well. I'm just like man.
Bo: she, like Rose, keeps it real, and that's what I like about her.
Duncan: It's going to be one of those nights, isn't it? Yeah?
Bo: Oh, we'll get, we're almost there. So Danvers, meanwhile, wakes up from like this dream vision where she sees her, her boy Holden, and then here's some screen, mommy, and then she wakes up and the first thing we realize is like oh, she can see her breath here and the power is out in the station and the temperatures falling fast.
Duncan: Yes.
Bo: And you know if, if, as soon as the fires go out, we're not going to survive. Maybe we shouldn't, but Danvers goes to find a bar.
Duncan: I do see her breath, though, so she can't be the thing that's right.
Bo: Navarro on the other hand. But she goes to find a borrow and finds her outside, where Clark is now frozen and dead.
Duncan: Yeah, he's what we like to call pulling a thorns.
Bo: Yeah, it is. And then you know some swing music plays and we see him in a picture.
Duncan: He's always in the gold room in 1921, but I don't know if you knew that.
Bo: Yes, he's always been the caretaker in Salal.
Duncan: Well, the thing is like she obviously she thinks Navarro forced him out to freeze to death. And this is where everything gets a little bit, a little bit esoteric, a little bit, a little bit spooky a little bit from the other side.
Bo: Well, yeah, I like that. The way she puts it is that first and brother fucker out. There is only witness. We have Dr Lector and Navarro is like I didn't do that to him. Yeah, like I didn't make him go out there. The that's how I found him and, by the way, I'm going to go find a backup generator because it's getting fucking cold.
Duncan: Yeah.
Bo: And so she goes to work on the generator, which doesn't start. But we do get a good glimpse of Annie Kay All goously behind her. And then, upstairs, danvers is getting some ghosts of her own when this busted hub cap rolls by the doorway. She's looking, looking out.
Duncan: Yeah.
Bo: And then we come back down to Navarro, who is now seeing the ghost of Clark that's doing the whole like shutter thing and says she's awake, which suggests that, oh, he is the kind of ghost that is just repeating what's happened in the past. So you know, of the three kinds of ghosts, we have the one that just repeats, yeah, which is Clark here. We have the one that is trying to give a message even if you don't want to hear it, which is holding, and then we've got the ghost that you just and you're trying to take you with you right, which seems to be Julie. Yes, but we'll. We'll get to that in a second, but yes, so all right. So Pete then shows up at Rose's place, and this is where he he's like hey, I need you to take me where Julie is. I've got somebody who's going the same place. And that's the point where she says it's going to be one of those nights.
Duncan: One of those put two bodies on ace nates.
Bo: No, no, yeah. Rose has a line that I'm like what the fuck have you been up to, rose? Like, yeah, it's, she knows a little bit, but we'll get to this anyway. So Navarro and Danvers are now huddled around a fire, and it because there's no power in the place and they're just trying to stay alive until the storm lets up and they can get out of this place. And Navarro says you know, there's just something out there that's calling me, and I just want to tell you that you know what, when I see hold in, yeah well, she says there's something out there that's calling me.
Duncan: And then she goes to talk about her sister and, like Jody Foster, lays in hard that your sister was weak, she couldn't handle it. You're strong, you can handle it. You don't walk out on the ice. This is about to 180 pretty quick in this episode. Yeah, she will, she will, she will turn on that statement Pretty fast because she does say she's like that, you know, and she said it looks like you across the eyes, but something like that. He doesn't look like you much, but there's something about his eyes, yeah, and she's like what the fuck you talk?
Bo: about Dr Lector and she's like well, hold on, Hold on.
Duncan: He told me a message and she Danvers, goes fucking raw here. Dude, she gets like not mama bear.
Bo: She gets like fucking bile and she's like, yeah, shut up, you, shut your mouth, you keep his name out of your mouth. And she says and I wrote this down because it was such a good quote, it's what. This is the delivery that I love. This may be my favorite thing Jody Foster has ever said. The line is shut up about him or I'll shoot your sick fucking mouth right off your face. Fuck, she is angry. And then she says I am not merciful, I have no merciful and I have no mercy left. You understand? And then storms off when she looks at at Navarro and says I am not merciful. Yeah, it's like fuck, she is not lying to you. Yeah, she is telling she is telling you the. God's truth right now and you need to accept that. You need to back the fuck off, mm. Hmm. Meanwhile, leah is trying to get hold of Danvers. Quick cut away where she's like hey, whatever's going on, don't die out there, okay, yeah. And so we kind of follow Danvers from there, who goes to this room again and she buries herself under blankets and she's like trying to stay warm. Yeah, like as part of our part of our storming off.
Duncan: She basically says to Navarro like if you want to walk out and they, she fucking go with that. Like, yeah, she bit the things are. She goes in, she puts things in, she puts things in, she puts things in, she puts things in, she puts things in and instantly is like that and she might do it. I'd like yeah, yeah, I'd like that's not maybe that I was angry, but that's maybe not the thing that someone who is contemplating suicide may want to hear. So she gets back up, she heads down and the fire's still on, but ain't no, Navarro, bo Yep.
Bo: So she goes outside to hunt for Navarro, who is, sure enough, walking out on the ice, but from Navarro's point of view, she's in the desert, yeah, and we get like the ear bleeding again. Which is just. She is in the presence of this. Whatever it is that's out there on the ice and the thing gives her her name, which is like Senna Ichkak something like that. Spare them while I hunt. So go for it. And Danvers sees Holden under the ice beneath her feet, yeah, and so she starts freaking out because, like the kid is banging from under the eyes and she's like Holden, and then starts banging on the ice and, sure enough, shoots down through the ice.
Duncan: Ice is going to break and it does actually, and she goes into the ice and fucking cinematography and this scene is fucking beautiful. It's like absolutely mind-blowingly good. But yeah, she goes under and, for all intents and purposes, dies and once again, according to Isolopes, that character dies in the ice but is brought back by Navarro, who doesn't walk out any further on the ice. She gets a fucking our native name and then she goes back and she helps Danvers and she gets her in. And I will tell you this, jodie Foster's acting is so fucking good that the raspy tone she's getting as she's being brought back to life, I genuinely thought someone would kill Jodie Foster and brought her back to life, like that's how like it sounds like she's like I don't even know how you do, I used to do death metal vocals in a band and the rasp that she gets in her voice I couldn't do right. It's just going to. It's all the breathings, like how someone breathes when they can't get enough air into their lungs. And Navarro's trying to bring her like back, like Despo, to try to bring her back Alem. She asks, and this kind of stipper of half I have dead. She asked her what Holden said to her and Navarro says Holden says like I see you, and it's like fucking acting is so good, it's like the weight of everything like comes right off the top of Danvers and she cries in a way which feels maybe the most realistic crying I've seen since, fucking like Florence Pugh and Midsomer or fucking Tony Collette and like Fucking her registry. It's just this kind of hollowed out Growly howl. It's just, it's just so fucking emotional and Navarro just holds her and lets her cry.
Bo: I mean, it's a really Wonderful moment between these characters.
Duncan: Yes, and I think it's the bit where I think Because what you're gonna get after this is an acceptance, where I think, danvers, all that, all that front that she's had about like no, did you spit it, gay tell you, and all that that kind of goes In this moment, and I think she respects that. Maybe there are things out there. Maybe death isn't the final, the final part of the story.
Bo: So well, I mean, she's just seen Holden, she's just seen her son, but sure enough, the storm is passing. Pete's still digging out on the ice this is fun.
Duncan: This is like Rose, really. He's like he finished, you dig it. He's like right there, that should be enough. And I'm like roses, like what the fucking the knife he's looking at? She's like you may want to turn your head just now and he's like, no, I want to see. And she's like you want to see is that fucking puncture your dead? So long here, so he doesn't fucking float. And you see these, like Pete's face is like yeah, maybe I don't want it. Like he's like turns round yeah. And Rose, like full-on, has buried bodies before in the past.
Bo: Right has has had to have done something because she knows how to do this quick and efficiently, and the fact that she knew how to do it at all, or that I never even thought yeah, she's, she's.
Duncan: Like she knows that if they put that, there's another aspect to consider here like she knows, like the police know that, to be honest, fucking Pete should have known the ice is. The ice in the water is so cold, it's going to preserve the body, right, and when the ice thaws, that body is going to come up, and you don't want that, like you don't want that to happen. So naturally, you remove, you puncture the lungs and it removes all the air from the body and it makes your body float, sorry, sink. So she, I love that she does that, though, but then roses like I'm not putting them in nice, you need to do that because that's you need to finish what you started on this. That a rose will help you get the body ready, rosie, and help you put the body in the ice.
Bo: I think that has something to do with Like Navarro telling Danvers you know like you get to carry Annie now you know it's that kind of thing like you're now responsible for.
Duncan: I think, yeah, I think there's a finality to that that you have to do. It's like that. It's like in them, like mongo. The premise of late mongo, if you're looking at from a non-ghostly point of view, is the reason the mother so wholly believes that her kid might be communicating from beyond the dead is because she never saw the body. She never went to see the body, or her husband did so as a part of her. That because she never saw it. It was never realtor. So this idea of Pete needs to. Pete needs to put his dad into the ice, which, by the way, they juxtapote like when he's digging the ice and you get the juxtaposition of the shot of, like Hank Drilling nice to save his son from that memory is Fucking, yes, kiss, you know your dad dug through the ice to save your life. You're digging the ice to bury your fucking dad. It's just so good man. But yeah, pete, put some in there. I put you like. Peace, just like. Oh well, that's the worst of that.
Bo: Yeah, where's this like? Oh, Let me let me make, let me just check you right now. Wait, she sits down. She says, yep, you're probably thinking the worst part's done, it's not. Yeah, what comes after forever? That's the worst part.
Duncan: So there's a couple of ways to look at this. Right, the the easiest, most superficial way of looking at this is that he used to live with the fact that he killed his dad, right, and has like, not kill these dad, but hid hidden these dad and this case will never be solved, like the hangs bodies never gonna be found, I'll never be solved. The other way to look at it is when people dying in is to come back as ghosts, and that could be a very literal meaning of Hanks probably gonna come back as a ghost now and if he's gonna visit anyone, most likely gonna visit you. So it's just something you're gonna have to kind of get used to.
Bo: You've done the work to earn your, your ghostly visit from Hank, the ghost of murder past.
Duncan: Yeah, lazy song of doom and gloom and God for boarding and paint your rooms blue.
Bo: But? But then they look up at the sky and the aurora borealis is is shining above them. I love this, like the storms over and it comes up right in the screen first of January, january 1st, 15th day of night, and, and, and then we go back to Salal where Navarro and Danvers are looking out the window and they see the storm has passed and like, hey, we can go now. Yeah, and there's a great moment where they Danvers is like, hey, happy, happy new year. Doctor of Lecter. Yeah, and of our, they've got the bus on whiskey there, yeah, and Danvers like in as close as we get to like a genuinely emotional moment. But between these characters. Danvers says if you ever do go for that, walk doctor like her, try to come back. Yeah. And Navarro is like, yeah, I'm just I gotta do something, cuz I've the whole time I felt like Navarro Hanging on I'm sorry, I've been. I felt like Clark holding on to that hatch, yeah, while something above me is trying to open it Immediately. Danvers is like what the fuck you just say? And she's like, yeah, that I feel like like Clark hanging on to the latch and she's like shut up, we gotta go do thing. And then she does like make. She basically makes some Like homemade luminol.
Duncan: Yeah, homemade liminal and chemicals that like. I love Jody Foster and she's like she doesn't carefully spray on. She pours this motherfucker all over, right, and she's like get a UV light, right, yeah, she's not fucking around.
Bo: And then, sure enough, as you know you, you brought up the last episode. Three, right, one of the handprints is missing fingers. And that's where we get Foster saying we were asking the wrong question, doctor Lector, not who killed Annie Kaye, but who knows who killed her? Yeah, and and then, duncan, we go, we drive to the end of the episode. We literally jump in a car and drive to the end of the episode, which is, which is the, a woman named Beatrice, the cleaner that we talked to, the one who said they don't pay attention.
Duncan: Like this all. It makes so much that the introduction to this character Was she beating the shit out of this guy because he ladies hand, ladies hands on the woman with three fingers. So she, she fucking laid him out, and and then about.
Bo: She is just, she is a lady justice, she is being the show, she's the dark night ball Like well, and and she's also the one who said when, when they're asking about the selloz station, and she's like nobody ever talked to us, because nobody talks to the cleaners.
Duncan: Yeah, she's also that. She's also the character when we're like does the symbol mean anything to you? She's like Blair, does this mean? She's been all the way through this series. She's been that they've spoken to more than once, will be down to see them more than once. He's packed, has appeared more than once. The evidence was there on the clothes, out in the ice, of someone with three fingers. But we very much, like the detectives, were never asking the right question, bow, and we disregarded plain fucking evidence in front of her eyes. So, yeah, so they arrive at our house and a lot. This, this scene is fucking amazing because it starts off yeah, we just beat us and the women with three fingers right, and they're like can we come in and talk to you?
Bo: like, yeah, well, to get it, I mean at first is Jody Foster and then there's a roll out and yeah, go on, now we will pick her, and, but it's, it's Navarro who introduces.
Duncan: Well, she, like I, asked before about what her name was and she didn't know and she says my name is Angeline, like Sinichcock.
Bo: Navarro, yeah, and the woman's like us, and it's cocked, that was my Aka's name. And Navarro says, well, do you know what it means? And Beatrice tells her well, it means the return of the Sun after the darkness. And then she kind of more readily, invites them in. It's like okay, now, now that we've established that, let's, let's have a seat, and well, so now that we've established that, let's tell you how everything went down.
Duncan: Yeah right, and she.
Bo: She says, yeah, well, you know, here's the thing. I can tell a story. Yeah, but like now, whether this is how it happened, yeah, who's to say is one of the clue and right.
Duncan: It could have happened this way, but maybe it happened like this.
Bo: And she says, you know, like hey, because of the way that native people are treated, it's the same story over and over again. And she says so we decided we were gonna, we were gonna tell her own story and this is our story goes, which is after spilling some mop water at the Solol station and seeing it go down this hatch, she goes down and discovers the weapon that killed Annie Kay. They also find these documents that were the documents that Annie Kay was looking for. That proves that Solol was not just Covering up pollution. They were encouraging the mine, yeah, to pollute more so that they could soften the permafrost and get their samples.
Duncan: There's also proves that scientists don't learn from the mistakes. I'd be I don't know, I would have changed tools, I would have locked away that material, though, and, I don't know, maybe tiny duck my notes, I don't know done some things just so, just in cases never happens again we have to murder another woman. Maybe we I don't know maybe we put some steps in like I don't know, like a padlock on the latch and or something, but yeah, so they find it.
Bo: but I love this because there's a network of cleaners, and well in Danvers asked her like well, why didn't you report all this? And she says well, because nothing would have changed. Like we this? This is the story. We know is that we do this thing and nothing changes. So we told them, we told ourselves another story, yeah, and this is we get.
Duncan: Yeah, we get like we got a cleaner actually in the police station. The police station cleaner. She's looking through the crime scene things. She's matching the wounds to the like to make sure they're right here and they're working it through. So, yeah, essentially the they set up everything. But while they're telling this story why she's telling this story More women start coming in, one at a time.
Bo: Until there's what like a dozen people in this room. Yeah, besides the cops.
Duncan: Yeah, like because you're thinking it's a how could they overpower these seven guys? Well, it turns out. Well, if there's a dozen of you and you know where everything is in a facility, you can just walk in and switch the fucking power off.
Bo: Turn off the power, show up with some guns and they basically just heard them into the back of a truck, yeah, and.
Duncan: Meanwhile, like they're trying, the, the trying, they see the main scientist trying to get in the hatch. So they know someone's in the hatch, which is how the handprints get the other basically trying to. You know, jimmy, the hatch up but they couldn't do it. So that explains the noise there. But they basically heard them into a fucking container, in a vehicle and drive them out into the middle of the snow.
Bo: And so they say well, so in this story, yes, you killed them. And she's like no, no, no, we didn't kill them, they killed themselves. When they killed her daughter in her home, yeah, they woke her up. What we did is we forced them into strip and then march them toward her, yeah, and like, put the spirals on their heads and shit like that.
Duncan: So this is the. The the they they're talking about is the entity that Darwin drew at the beginning Sing. It's not Sengar, whatever it is, but basically the Entity that doesn't have any fingers bleeds from them, that is goddess of the sea and fishing, all the rest. And they'll like that. Like we marched them out there, their clothes were there. Yeah, like they wanted it. Any time they could have come back and put their clothes on, or she could claim them, and turns out she claimed them.
Bo: Yeah, and we write the way she puts it, because again, another great fucking line, because Danvers, I think, is the one who answers like so they didn't come back, why don't? Or why don't you think they came back? Then and she says well, I guess she ate their fucking dreams from the inside out and spit their frozen bones. But that's just a story. It's like oh man, that is one of the most metal things I've ever heard. Somebody they're fucking dreams eaten from the inside out and spit out their frozen bones like and and and. So, after saying this, like there's a real, like pregnant pause between them of like alright, what's the next move?
Duncan: Yeah, there's a real pregnant pause of there's 12 women who have just told us a story about how they Can, what basically sent seven murderers to their death, and there's two of us and we're a little bit of number to you. What I love about this Danvers is so good man and like she's like she. She has the Ripley response to this. You know, like we'll just look it from orbit just to be sure. Like she's like that, while we just want to come here and tell you that the case is closed. It was an Arctic slide landslide and that's what killed the scientists and we just thought, because they were your employers and employed, you cleaned up there. That you just might want to know about that. Yeah, it's good that the level of genius fuckery here that Danvers pulls off is is 5d chess. Right, because basically what she is doing is she is using the mine, forced the police to close this case with a bullshit reasoning. Right, to fuck Danvers and that investigation over and, by the very same token, she's going to burn down the fucking mine. Right, when this information comes out, which will get more real as to how they're gonna do that, but when she's sitting on the, we know stuff that this is being done, or all the rest, and you know what? I Can just close this case as well, and I'll just use the same bullshit, because you've closed it for me so nice and easy. And what happened?
Bo: just this has been served in this story and they look so Danvers Gives up the like. Well, we just thought you'd be interested. Dr Lecter's and.
Duncan: Like she gets ready, so she basically goes out. But, boy, if you're me, and Navarro in this case, like you're like that, so the tongue.
Bo: First. First, navarro says they, because they ask her like what do you think about this? And she says you know, stories are stories, that everybody's got them, that's fine. And but yeah, so Beatrice gives her like this, really like friendly Pat, like hey, you know, you're kind of one of us sort of thing, yeah, and but yes, that's where Navarro asked about the tongue and she's like I don't have any idea.
Duncan: Yeah, did you put the tongue there so we'd like the cases or whatever, and she's like that? No, I think about. There's nothing about a tongue in our story.
Bo: Yeah and which, again, you know, this is the realm of the unreliable narrator, does she, does she not? Who knows? Yeah, but then we get Kind of our coda on this whole story, which takes place on March 12th, the first long day of the year. It's the first sunshine we've seen since the beginning of the first episode, which is yeah, and we get a very true detective trope.
Duncan: That has not been all the way. In this one we get the interview of the police officer who attended the thing, which I kind of love. This I kind of love being in this Because also if you watch true detective like that season that everyone loves as well that show opens with the detective being interviewed, so I kind of love this. One closes with a detective being interviewed in sunshine and it's a is Danvers and she's being. She's been interrogated by two guys that just want to know what happened a couple of months ago.
Bo: Yeah, like internal investigations or whatever.
Duncan: Well, it's primarily they're trying to work out what happened with Otis Heiss and Hank Right and well, and she says well.
Bo: you know, based on all observations, it seems like it was a deal gone bad, dr Elector, where Hank must have gotten into a scrape and then he killed Otis and in the attempt to hide that body he disappeared.
Duncan: because Hank is fucking useless Hank has been caught on camera following Danvers from the lighthouse fucking moron.
Bo: She says you know, well, you know, we'll find the bodies in this in the spring. We always do, yeah, unless we. And and then this is where Pete comes in bringing her coffee, yeah, and she's like well, as you know, this is his son. He was out looking for his father and we all feel, you know, pretty touched about that, dr Elector. And so then they then they ask her well, don't you think it's kind of strange that Clark died Exactly like all the others, kind of on your watch and she's like it is odd?
Duncan: Yes, it is very strange, but you know some questions, just don't have answers.
Bo: dr Elector, yeah, and Then they're like all right, all right, fine, but what about Navarro? Yeah, and she's like, well, you know, some people come to Alaska to escape something and While she's telling them, you know the, you know getting the, the VO, why?
Duncan: don't you tell them that lane we get while she's telling them her story?
Bo: Yes, the real story is she goes to Navarro's place, finds only this stuffed bear.
Duncan: Yeah.
Bo: We cut over to Kovic, who finds the his toothbrush brought back to him. Yeah, and Danvers is like. You know, some people are looking for something and you know, I believe that Eventually Navarro found what she was looking for. And it's Navarro, like we get a cut to her, just staring off into the wilds of Alaska. Yeah and just starting off. But back at her house there is a phone that has a video confession from Clark saying here is the shit that we pulled along with Silver Sky Mines. Yeah and we get a quick shot of like a native dude who's just from the very beginning.
Duncan: Yes, it was hunting the Carabou or whatever. It was right in the very opening scene. But this time he's walking past Just like an abandoned main. Yeah, the government closed this fucker down quick.
Bo: And and they're like so you've seen the? They're asking Danvers, these investigators, so you've seen the Clark video? And she's like, well, sure, who hasn't seen the Clark video? Doctor, lector? But no, who leaked it? I don't know, somebody did, but who knows? Yeah, and they're like, well, what are you gonna do next? And she says, look, this is in this. This, this town is. It was here before we got here. It was here before this place was even called Alaska. It's gonna be here after us. So I'm gonna show up and we'll do my job.
Duncan: What else?
Bo: is there doctor Lector?
Duncan: And then we just ask the ask about could she explain how people claim that they still see Navarro from time to time, like kind of the insinuation being that she might live out on the ice? But that's not how I take this, because at the very end of this one we got a shot of her and Leah and who they've kind of grown together. Now they're eating sandwiches and laughing in the car and then we go to Danvers home at the end.
Bo: Well now first there's Pete, who is sleeping with his kid, but there's an expression on his face that says he is fucked for life.
Duncan: Yeah, he's like. He's like. He now clocks and clocks out. You know what I mean. He ain't doing anything above what he needs to. He is no longer asking the right questions. He is doing the bare minimum for his job and holding on tightly to his family, holding on clinging to his son. And then we jump to Danvers at home, out on our balcony, and as she's sitting on our balcony, navarro appears as an apparition standing at the side, smiling at her. The thing you to believe that maybe she committed suicide or maybe she didn't.
Bo: The last lines of the whole season are when she says, when they ask her, like, do you think that people are seeing Navarro out there? And she says I believe that eventually, navarro is not out on that ice, but this is in us. Nobody ever really leaves Dr Lector, and that's where we get this moment of them on the deck. And so I'm of two minds about this. Here's what I truly believe is that, yes, this is an apparition that she sees, because and but not in an unfriendly way, like this is not. This is that comfort that Navarro kind of talks about, like there's something bigger out there and you can take some comfort for that, because you know Holden is watching. Now, theoretically, navarro is kind of watching and looking out for Danvers, yep, and she did what she was asked. Like.
Duncan: Danvers said to her if you go out in the ice, come back. And I think that come back is not literally physically come back, and it's more spiritually don't leave.
Bo: Right. And so the other, the other, read that I've. I haven't read up on this, but it's just one of those things of like oh okay, I could see where this could be. On interpretation.
Duncan: They say. They say on the show that people go out and live on the ice. We've already met three characters that lived in like compounds out there, so it is also totally believable that she lives a life off the fucking grid.
Bo: And we also know that. This is where my read of it gets a little strange. We also know that Navarro is bisexual.
Duncan: Yes.
Bo: And so there is a read for me where, oh, this is just them ultimately ending up together as a couple.
Duncan: Yeah.
Bo: Because there's no all right. So, duncan, here's the thing I fucking love about this episode is that could be true. It could be a spirit. We don't fully understand exactly what happened at the car accident with Jodie Foster and the kid. We just know that it's. It's haunted her Yep. Even though we got answers to the Wheeler thing, there's still. There are still questions about what. What that investigate or not investigation, but like what? What kind of psychic damage that still has for Navarro or Danvers?
Duncan: We never found out what the woman whose head was blown off in the war scene said to Navarro Navarro. What does she wish for? We don't get. And you know what, bro?
Bo: I don't think everything needs to be like 100%, 100% because you know, like it's what Danvers says, like not everything has a clean answer, and I like the fact that there's there's sort of this messiness of, yeah, apparently there is something supernatural out on the eyes. Yeah, like that is the reason, like there's no other explanation, even hinted at in the show, other than like, hey, there was pollutants and stuff like that, but that's like there is more direct evidence for the supernatural than there is of that.
Duncan: At least this is how I know that, like true, like true detective fans, you know the hardcore ones just don't get horror right at all, because if you've seen Tigers are not afraid, there is a ton of like this. Is that actually a very Tigers is not afraid? Ending, it's that level of ambiguity of like yes spirituality and all the rest is wrapped up, then some things are just bigger than us.
Bo: Yeah, yeah, yeah and yeah, I just I really I really adored the ending of this. I thought it. I thought it was kind of heartfelt in a way that I almost didn't expect it to be as like poignant as it was, even though there's this her petty.
Duncan: That's what she does, that's like, that's what I'm saying, like her previous work to this is Tigers are not afraid, which it was a movie that I was in cinema with grown men who were fucking crying. Yeah, that's how powerful she does it in the mute. The choice of score, the way it's set up, jody Foster's delivery of those lines at the very end, it's just, it's just there. And I think I come at the end of this and you didn't like this. I just don't think you like TV, if I'm honest. Yeah, I just don't get the complete of anyone. Yes, this is awful, which is what I've read. Like this is awful TV, this is an awful season. Like that. I just don't like. I don't think you ever came into this with an open mind, like at all. You think you came in wanting the thing that you saw a decade ago yeah, I mean that first season it's a decade ago Like that's, that's what you've, that's what you wanted, and I just don't. To me, this one, weirdly, is the most heartfelt of all of them. Maybe take the crown of season three. Season three ended with a very emotional end, with him out with his family and friends and everyone's all there together and they're having a barbecue on the porch and he sees everyone, like his daughters, come back to him and all the rest. I mean, I don't. I'm looking at this and I'm like that. This one has more ambiguity than that. It has more heart. It's a fucking great ending To me, like as Reads go, I think Navarro died, but I, I, I I think in the last scene she's wearing the same clothes that she was wearing when she walked into the ice. That was my take on it, but I love the idea that she's there with her at the end, however, that is in person, as a partner or as a as a spirit. I fucking love the ending. I think it. I think it lands so strong. This is why those ones that you know it's it's. It's a gymnast doing all those flips and twirls that don't mean shit. If they don't land with two feet stationary in the ground at the end they're going to get mocked down, and this one might be messy. It may have missed a couple of grabs, but this season landed two feet fucking square on the mat at the end, so loved it.
Bo: Yeah, I agree. Yeah, Terrific season, as always, a great time. Um well, you know. As for what comes next, we'll figure it out. We got some peak panther. We got, we got uh, there's a whole season of slasher.
Duncan: We haven't had to do slasher first, because the thought of going off and watching I don't know some inspector Cluso finding a bit of joy in my life and then having to sit down and do slasher is just like. It's a pain that I don't want. So we may have to. We may have to just rip the bandaid off, get right through fucking slasher and then get like some joy at the end of it. I don't know, I don't know.
Bo: We'll, we'll, we'll, figure it out though.
Duncan: So, rather than later and we've got to be back though and hopefully the listeners out there have enjoyed our take and we are in a position now that we can very comfortably say that DBCC will be back and in our horizon future we have a new season of the terror that's been commissioned that we will cover, and a new season of true detective, which, by the way, we will also cover.
Bo: That, yes, exactly right. So, uh, I gotta tell you, uh, just tell me, no, no, no, no. I was just going to say, like uh, through, through sheer attrition, Uh, it turns out that, uh, the third episode, uh, is still the highest rated of this season so far. Um, but I I predict that the finale is going to be a banger.
Duncan: Um, yeah, I predict to riot. I well look, let's see how the votes turn out, you know, what I'm saying Uh look, I look, I've got water.
Bo: I'm storing water now. That's where I am. That's why I got the second dog uh, just for protection, Although, based on everything I've seen so far, not not much protection. No, very, very. I'm about to have to give him a bath. That's, that's about to be the thing that happens. Uh, so, uh, yes, Duncan, where can people find more out of you between now and when next we talk here on DBCC?
Duncan: Uh, you can find me on podcast under the stairs Tputscast.com, wherever you listen to the podcast under the stairs on YouTube. Uh, the next big thing from me will be a lot of talk and a lot of coverage in the next week and a half of Glasgow fright fest, where I will be taking in 11 horror movies and for some reason I did not notice this. Uh, the festival is opening on the Friday with the brand new film from the French duo behind inside and Levite uh, who are coming out with a movie called I think it's called the soul eater Uh, which I was like okay if you say so, it's about a nine to five job in an office. Amen, brother, amen, um. So yeah, I'll be. I'll be doing a little bit of a chat on that one, which I'm very much looking forward to, because you never really know what you're going to get from fright fest. Some of it's good, some of it's bad, some of it is uh is, a bit iffy. Let me give you a little rundown on the synopsis for the movie, though. See if it tickles your fan. So this is the. This is the UK premier, the soul eater. Uh, two detectives with entirely different work methods are sent to a sleepy French mountain town, of whatever French name that is. This could be a true detective.
Bo: I was just thinking, this sounds very true.
Duncan: detective One is investigating the series of gruesome deaths, the other is searching for some missing local children. Soon they realize that their cases are connected by an old folklore legend of a malevolent creature. The story of the soul eater is terrifying Incarnation of the soul eater from co-directors Julianne Moray and Alexandra Bastilleau who, as part of the Vanguard of French extreme similar, brought you inside Levite among the living in the deep house. Now they unleash their most devilish and sinister creation. Yet to shock, horror and surprise Tragedy, torture, child endangerment, sexual violence and consistent threat. Oh, so I. So inside, right?
Bo: All of my favorites.
Duncan: So yeah, so I'll feed back on that. So there you go.
Bo: All right, what about you, bo? What you got coming up soon? We are about to launch into some Asian horror on dark parade, a fairly obscure Kyoshi Kurosawa film called Sweet Home.
Duncan: I've never seen. I will be super curious about that one because I love Kurosawa's work.
Bo: So the reason apparently it's getting a remaster and one of its claims to fame is that apparently the director of the video game Resident Evil said that it was the inspiration for that game. Oh, wow, so I'm curious to see it on a number of levels Thanks to that. So, yeah, so that's coming up, and then, you know, other dumb shit will just keeps going, more dumb stuff. Oh, I do hard of horror. We're going to do near dark. That's recording tomorrow.
Duncan: Oh nice.
Bo: And talking, you know, because it's an excuse to come up with a theme, right, and so we're going to be talking about going on vacation with a loved one or potential loved one and how that's usually a terrible idea. So, yeah, so that's coming up and yeah, so you know, check that on on dark parade. In the meantime, duncan, the only thing left to do for this season of true detective is to say to my good friend Duncan say good night, duncan.
Duncan: To my good friend Duncan say good night, duncan. Nice.