Nikolay: Hello, hello, this is Postgres.FM. As usual, I'm Nik, PostgresAI, and as usual, my co-host is Michael, pgMustard. Hi, Michael, how are you?
Michael: Hello, Nik, I'm good, how are you?
Nikolay: Very good. So, the topic you chose is to talk about beyond Postgres, when we should avoid using Postgres, right?
Michael: Yeah, you put a shout out on a few social networks asking people what kind of questions they'd like us to answer and we had lots of good suggestions as we've had for many years now and 1 of them was particularly good and I thought was worth a whole episode which was yeah when not to use Postgres I think there's a growing trend of or a few popular blog posts of people saying you should consider Postgres for most workloads these days and I think it is still an interesting topic to discuss are there cases where it doesn't make sense if so what are those and what like what when does it make sense not to use Postgres? I was interested in your take on some of these as well.
Nikolay: Yeah, well, classic example is analytics.
Michael: Do you want to list a few and then discuss them in a bit more detail.
Nikolay: Yeah, let's create a frame of this episode. So analytics, embedded databases.
Michael: Yeah, so like, and I think analytics, yeah, so analytics embedded, I think storing large objects, there are some cases where
Nikolay: it makes sense. Pictures and database.
Michael: Exactly, especially larger ones like videos, like very large objects, 100%.
Nikolay: And just let's agree in every area we can discuss pros and cons of using Postgres because some people definitely have an opinion that it's not an excuse to avoid Postgres. Let me add then, with this in mind, let me add then a topic like ML datasets and pipelines. Right? Yeah. Machine learning and big data.
Michael: I think anything where there's specialized databases like search, vector databases.
Nikolay: Vectors, exactly. Let's talk about vectors separately. It's worth it.
Michael: And then 1 more, which I think, well, actually, I had 2 more on my list 1 was potentially controversial I wondered if there's a case if you're at extreme OLTP Write heavy Very very write heavy and you, like, let's say you've got institutional experience with Vitess I think sticking with that for the moment makes a lot of sense so like what when not to use Postgres I wondered if like a new project came along starting with Vitess while we get these sharded Postgres like OLTP sharding Postgres solutions up and running I think at the moment maybe it still makes sense to not use Postgres there.
Nikolay: Let's add then time series. Yeah. Let's discuss this area, time series, and also data that can be compressed really well. This topic is close to analytics. True,
Michael: yeah. And then I have 1 more, but I guess it's kind of what I said just now. I think If you or your organization have tons of experience with another database, the argument for using Postgres for your next project is weaker. I'm not sure it's like when not to use Postgres. I think I could think of lots of counter examples. Well, this
Nikolay: is an orthogonal discussion. You can say if we already have a huge contract with Oracle, we already signed for next 5 years, it's not wise to start using Postgres and those money will be spent for nothing, right? There are many such reasons, right?
Michael: Should we stick to technical ones then?
Nikolay: Yeah, like area, like types of usage, area. Queue-like workloads, I would add.
Michael: Yeah, interesting.
Nikolay: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Last 1 is like kind of Kafka territory. Or there are others of course.
Michael: Yeah. All right, let's, should we start with analytics then? I feel like that's, I know we did a whole episode, kind of a whole episode on this.
Nikolay: Yeah, so, so row store is not good for analytics and SELECT COUNT will always be slow, you need denormalization or estimates, estimates will be slow, well not slow, too rough and too wrong sometimes. Yeah, it sucks.
Michael: I think there's a scale, I think we've talked about this before, but there's a scale up to which you'll be fine on Postgres. You could achieve better performance elsewhere. But if you have hybrid, a lot of systems now are hybrid, right? Like they have to be transactional, but they have to provide some analytics dashboard for users or something like it, but they still want real-time data. They still want transactional processing, maybe 90 to 95, maybe even 99% of the workload is transactional, and only like there's a few analytical queries from time to time. I still think those make a ton of sense on Postgres.
Nikolay: Counts everyone needs, right? Pure OLTP applications, they need to show counts or understand pagination and like still have counts. If you think about social media, you will need to show how many likes, comments, and so on, reposts. So, and like to implement it in purely in Postgres, like a good way for generalization would be needed. And also, there are so many rakes lying around this, You can easily step on them and have hotspot. Like, you know, this classic hotspot when accounting system, like, like taking balances and let's say we have like whole balance and all transactions Update single row. Yeah. So this is where it can be an issue. And yeah, but at the same time, there are many attempts to do better and some attempts led to companies being acquired, right? I mean, Crunchy. There are many new ways of aiming to solve this problem, better analytics for Postgres. I see 2 big trends right now. 1 trend is how Sid, founder of GitLab, recently had a post saying that Postgres and ClickHouse is a great couple of database systems. I don't remember the exact title of that post, but the idea is that it's great. They go together very well. We also had Sai, founder of PeerDB, which was acquired by ClickHouse. And I met with him last week, and we talked about, Again, the same idea that ClickHouse and Postgres are great together. This is 1 direction. Another direction is saying ClickHouse is very different. And not even maintaining. Maintaining is absolutely different, but also using it requires a different mindset and skills so it's better to choose, for example, DuckDB. Do everything inside Postgres but in a smarter way. This is what multiple companies worked on recently and 1 of them Crunchy was acquired by Snowflake.
Michael: And we had it, we did an episode on pg_duckdb as well, so like a slightly different approach on that. But yeah, The Crunchy one's interesting because all the Queries go through Postgres, but a lot of the data's stored in like Iceberg or like some other file format. Yeah, exactly. It's in the Column last side. Yeah. So yeah, this definitely feels like 1 of those ones. There's also a third, by the way, there's a third option, which is these massively parallel databases. Like, well, I was at a, you spoke to Cy last week, I was at a UK event this week, And there was presentation from the successors of the Greenplum project, the kind of the open source successors, which is called Cloudberry. It looks like really interesting work. But that's another way of doing some analytics from within Postgres, kind of.
Nikolay: Yeah. And from previous experience, from the past I remember cases when Postgres and Greenplum was combined in 1 project, and it was great, and it was some bank, even quite big 1 bank. And yeah, but somehow I stopped looking at Greenplum for quite long already, I don't know. There are also, of course, commercial databases. I remember Vertica, there is Snowflake, super popular, it's a major player in this area. By the way, I would distinguish 2 areas of analytics. 1 is internal needs. For a company, we need to understand how business is doing a lot of stuff. We need a lot of reports. And another need is we need to show our users some counts. Like I said, social media. So 2 big areas, I think, also.
Michael: Yeah, good point.
Nikolay: In the first case, users are internal. In the second case, users are external. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of mixed cases, additional cases. But I personally like these 2 directions. Of course there are others, there is there is also Redshift on AWS.
Michael: Also originally based on Postgres, yeah.
Nikolay: So there are many options here.
Michael: So yeah, is the short version at sufficient scale? It probably doesn't make sense to be using Postgres at this point for analytics, but like that that level is quite high.
Nikolay: Yeah, but also I see cases when companies go to Snowflake then try to escape it.
Michael: Come back, yeah.
Nikolay: Okay. So going to Snowflake, it's like going to Oracle, in my opinion.
Michael: You mean like in terms of financial?
Nikolay: In terms of vendor lock-in
Michael: and so on.
Nikolay: Because it's just purely commercial offering. There are of course many tempting things there, features, performance, integrations.
Michael: Nice product to use as well, yeah. Developer friendly.
Nikolay: Yeah, well, users love it. I agree. But if we try to remain in more open source and vendor look in less, then it's like it should be excluded. Even ClickHouse. ClickHouse is open source itself.
Michael: Yeah. Right. Well, you mentioned time series being quite close to this. I feel like we should jump to that next. What do you reckon?
Nikolay: Well, TimescaleDB is great, but it's also kind of underlooking because it's not open. Yeah.
Michael: Yeah. So because of their license, other cloud providers can't provide Timescale as a service easily. Or at least not the version with lots of nice features.
Nikolay: Yeah, in Timescale Cloud, I had a recent case where we saw limitations again, very badly. Like create database doesn't work. And moreover, lack of observability tooling. Like again, like I keep promoting on this podcast, if guys who build platforms listen to us, you must add pg_wait_sampling. Unless you are RDS, okay. But even in case of RDS, we talked about this. It's great to have it in SQL context and be able to combine wait event analysis with regular pg_stat_statements analysis. And pg_stat_kcache, additional very good observability point. Because I had a case when guys just compared everything, saw worst performance, worked closely with Timescale. But in case of RDS, you see performance insights, understand where we wait, right? In case of Timescale, only a rare collection of samples from pg_stat_activity is possible. It's sometimes good enough, but it's quite a rough tool to analyze performance. So yes, such things are lacking. And unfortunately, more and more I come to the conclusion that when I recommend TimescaleDB to customers, it contradicts with the idea they want to stay on managed service.
Michael: Yeah. Yeah. Because they're down to a single choice. Yeah.
Nikolay: Yeah. That being said, the Timescale Cloud even offered me some bounty if I convince someone to go to them. And this is great, like I love loyalty programs, but I need to be fair, some pieces, big pieces are missing, unfortunately.
Michael: Yeah. And again, Postgres, even without Timescale, can be used for good time series workloads up to a certain point. We're just talking about at very high scale, where all the features like compression, like continuous aggregates, like automatic partition.
Nikolay: Straight to the point. Straight to the 0, by the way, for time series, ClickHouse is also still a good option and there is also VictoriaMetrics, right?
Michael: Yeah. Well, and I learned just yesterday about even Cloudberry have incrementally updated materialized views. I need to look into it. But that's quite cool. And if you're like, maybe that would be
Nikolay: what you think about this? Wouldn't it be great to have in Postgres something like update materialize you where in you just define the scope. And also concurrently.
Michael: We should do a whole episode. I think there are several projects that have started to look into incrementally updating materialized views. And I think they're more complicated than I've ever. Like, they're just, it's like 1 of those topics, the more you learn about it, the harder you realize it is.
Nikolay: Right now I'm in a position where most, not everyone, but most of our customers are on managed Postgres, so it's really hard for me to look at extensions which are not available on RDS, CloudSQL and others.
Michael: I understand, I'm just thinking, like, I think it's worth learning from the extensions as to what would be needed in core, like, how did, what did they try, what was difficult about that, what, and it's not just extensions, right, there are, there are whole companies that have been built on the premise of, is it called, is it Materialize? Or like what
Nikolay: was the- Yeah, yeah, yeah. I haven't heard for a few years from them. What's, like, I'm curious what's happening there. Lack of autonomous transactions will be an issue,
Michael: right? Yeah.
Nikolay: Or Q-like, Q-like tool inside Postgres. So asynchronously update will be propagated through Q-like. If everyone had PgQ like CloudSQL has, from Skype, developed 20 years ago. In this case, implementing incrementally asynchronously updated materialized views would be easier.
Michael: Well, yeah, async and sync is... Anyway, this is an
Nikolay: interesting topic. Yeah, yeah, yeah. And we already basically we just touched workloads, queue-like workloads. It's still hard. Bloat is an issue, right? We discussed it, I think.
Michael: I think, well, we've discussed there are solutions, right? I actually think queues is 1 of the ones that I was going to fight you hardest on. Like, I think there are ways to do it badly within Postgres. And again, at extreme scale, I think it wouldn't be smart to put it in, especially.
Nikolay: I don't agree. Skype had extreme scale.
Michael: Yeah, well, yeah. Okay.
Nikolay: 20 years ago, 1 billion users was a target.
Michael: Good point. So maybe actually of all the ones that we added to potentially be on the list, that would be 1 where I think if you manage it well, like PgQ at Skype did with partitions, actually I think that's not an excuse to not use Postgres if that's the title.
Nikolay: Yeah, benefits are serious. Problem is like, when I recommend keep queue-like workloads inside Postgres, I just say like understanding whole complexity and hidden issues that you just need a high level of understanding of what's happening to have it. But if you have it, it will be great. It will be great. It's just not a small project, unfortunately, usually.
Michael: Yeah, good point.
Nikolay: And this recent case with Notify as well, because it's also sometimes used in such workloads. Yeah, as a reminder, Notify exclusive log on database, serializing all Notifies makes it basically not scalable. Yeah, yeah, all right. Anyway, what's the answer? Like If you needed to create a project and you would need to think about analytics like think about like, okay We will have terabytes of data very soon fast growing What do we choose for analytics? What do we choose for? Queue like workloads for time series was what are the choices you would make I?
Michael: Think it does depend a lot that you already said with analytics. Are we talking about a bank that is doing? Nightly loads of data and only cares about Internal reporting or are we talking about a user-facing web app that has to do, or like a social media app that has to do counts and various like aggregations that are user-facing?
Nikolay: Well you need both. You need to think about both and what architecture choice would you make in the beginning. Yeah. For target of terabytes of data in like in 1 year for example. 10 terabytes in 1 year. What would you do? Would you choose to stay in Postgres?
Michael: I'm a big fan of simplicity. I think I would stick with Postgres for as long, like until it was painful.
Nikolay: Okay, re-engineered then.
Michael: Yeah, and I know that would be painful, But that would be my preferred option. I think then I am tempted, I think it's quite new at the moment, but I am tempted by the work that crunchy started on moving data out to iceberg format and still querying it from Postgres. Like I like the,
Nikolay: I
Michael: like that I can keep
Nikolay: queries going from the same place. But it's possible on Cloud SQL or RDS, right?
Michael: Not yet, right? But I think it's quite early. Like if I was starting a project today, I would hope that they caught up by then. And if not, then a ClickHouse, like a whatever PeerDB is called now within ClickHouse, like having that go out to an analytic system like ClickHouse makes a load of sense to me. What do you think?
Nikolay: I would choose self-managed Postgres 100%. And I would use TimescaleDB full-fledged.
Michael: Got it, OK, yeah.
Nikolay: And then I would consider DuckDB path as well, additionally, at some point. And queue workloads, queue-like workloads, I would engineer perfectly and squeeze as much as Postgres can. Yeah. And what else we touched?
Michael: So again, all of these are actually sticking with Postgres and then just at some point in the future, you're going to have to think about sharding if you
Nikolay: can't in the future. Only 1 reason would make me do it. So I wouldn't go, in these 3 areas we just discussed, I wouldn't go away from Postgres. Although I understand very well customers who have and why they say we need ClickHouse or something. In my company, I would add ClickHouse only if there is a strong team which needs it. And this is their choice and I delegate and then I don't, I'm not involved in this decision. But while this choice is still mine I would stick to Postgres and just make it work better. And can scale until IPO. I saw it several times with several companies.
Michael: Cool, makes sense. So I wonder if this next one's going to be the first 1 where we both would and don't use Postgres, which is storing large objects, like large files.
Nikolay: Well definitely, yeah, last time I tried to store a picture inside Postgres was probably 2006 or 7, when I was just exploring, you know, like oh this is working, okay, But no, I even don't know how, what will happen, you know, like this, this, like this piece of Postgres I touch super rarely, you know.
Michael: Yeah. I think the 1 exception is text-based stuff, stuff that you might want to query it, but even then you probably
Nikolay: want to
Michael: be doing... PDFs.
Nikolay: PDFs, yeah.
Michael: But you know, it's like some representation of the PDF, not the actual PDF, but the text extracted from it. Oh, yes.
Nikolay: It's going to be... Or it can be marked down, and then we have a Pandoc or something which converts both to HTML and PDF. This is what we do with our checkups. Originally it's in markdown.
Michael: Yeah, and by the way, and another possible exception I think it's almost not worth discussing is if you only need to store 5 pictures like maybe you know but I just don't I don't see many cases like that.
Nikolay: Yeah yeah yeah. Still cool.
Michael: All right.
Nikolay: Yeah We recently implemented attachments in our own system for pictures and various like archives of logs or something which customers upload or we upload PDFs as well sometimes. Of course we store them in GCS in a secure manner. Not in Postgres 100% now. Yeah, yeah. I even don't think they're, yeah. It's just exercise for those who probably don't have other tasks.
Michael: Yeah, all right. Another 1 that I think is maybe in between these 2, like advanced search, I still think there are cases, like there are search use cases where people that I respect and trust would still choose ElasticSearch over Postgres even though they know that.
Nikolay: By the way, sorry for interrupting. I just realized you talked about blobs. Yeah, but we also can. So And this can be an issue with upgrades, I've heard, right? Major upgrades. I don't see them recently at all. So I mean, you can try to store it in Postgres, but then you have some operational issues, additionally. Because not only I don't see them often, people who design some procedures and tools, they also don't see them often. And it's kind of exotic to keep, to have blobs.
Michael: Yeah, so when you say major upgrades, are we talking about like the speed of the initial sync? Or are we talking about pg_dump? If we go in the dump restore route, then actually it's all having to get dumped out.
Nikolay: Yeah, yeah. I just remember some notes about it I saw maybe on RDS. It's specifically about large objects. Maybe I'm wrong, actually.
Michael: I just remembered I'm actually using, not for super large objects, but several kilobyte files. Like, we store query plans in JSON format or text format. Text format ones don't tend to get that massive, but JSON format ones can be hundreds of, well, we've actually seen a couple that were tens of megabytes. I think 1 or 2 that are in the hundreds of. But.
Nikolay: We need to amend this part of the episode. You're talking about varlena types. Yeah. There is a special thing, large object facility, special chapter.
Michael: Yes, sorry, that's a different, yeah.
Nikolay: Yeah, in Berlin everyone uses JSONs, large texts, everyone. Even by the race.
Michael: Okay, you mean there's a specific issue with the thing called large objects?
Nikolay: I cannot say I don't touch large JSONs. Of course, I touch them a lot. We have them a lot. And yeah, we talk about how they toast in Postgres.
Michael: Yeah, yeah.
Nikolay: Large JSONs, large XMLs sometimes, right? Texts, of course, large texts, everything. For example, our RAG system for AI assistant has a really large text, chunks of source code, many of these discussions, kilobytes.
Michael: And you put all of those in Postgres?
Nikolay: Of course, because we need to parse them and also full text search and vectors, that's everything in Postgres right now.
Michael: Well, you could store the vectors in Postgres without storing the text in Postgres, but the full text search makes a lot of sense.
Nikolay: Yeah, I understand you, but we do everything in Postgres, even vectorization. Yeah, okay, cool. It doesn't scale well if you need to deal with billions of vectors, but millions is fine.
Michael: Yeah, makes sense.
Nikolay: So what I was talking about is like, it's like a lo_create function, these things.
Michael: Yeah, I've not used that and you're saying you don't see it.
Nikolay: Yeah, this is what I don't see.
Michael: Hopefully everyone got the memo and no one's using it. Yeah,
Nikolay: lo from byte... So yeah, I don't use those. And Again, last time I touched that, it was so long ago. Actual blobs. lo_ lo_put, lo_get, these functions. I have no idea, and I suspect something will be broken if you start using them. Some operations like upgrade maybe. Not broken, but you will need to take care of them. Like some side effects like table spaces can have, you know. Recently not used also often. In cloud context we don't use often the table spaces. But table spaces might be headache when you do some migrations, move your database from place to place or upgrade and so on.
Michael: Yeah, yeah.
Nikolay: Okay. Yeah, good 1. What else?
Michael: We haven't talked about embedded databases yet on the kind of tiny scale of things.
Nikolay: Yeah, I'm not an expert in the better databases. I thought SQLite is good.
Michael: Yeah in this category. We do now have PGlite Looks like a very interesting project But I think at the moment unless I was doing some syncing between Postgres, unless I had a really good reason, I'd probably still default to SQLite, however the community pronounces it. But actually I was going to include in this topic, like even browser local storage for example. If you're wanting to do stuff client side in like a browser app or web app, it still makes sense to use the local storage there, right? IndexedDB or whatever. So there are like a few embedded cases where I don't think it makes sense to use Postgres or if you're gonna try maybe PGlite.
Nikolay: And can you remind me, PGlite, what does it do? Is it related somehow to WebAssembly? I think yes, right?
Michael: I think it must be, right? But I don't know enough about it.
Nikolay: Yeah, I'm checking it's a complete awesome build of Postgres that it's under 3 megabytes exhibit. That's impressive.
Michael: Yeah, it's a cool project. But I guess there's an argument to say it's not actually Postgres. Like it talks and behaves like Postgres, but it's kind of its own thing.
Nikolay: Well, we can talk about many Postgres variants like this, including Aurora and so on. Some of them more Postgres, some of them less.
Michael: Yeah. But if the topic is like when not to use Postgres, yeah I guess Aurora. I don't know if I'd count Aurora as that or not.
Nikolay: I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
Michael: If the only solution was use Aurora, let's say that was the, there was like a, 1 of these cases, it turns out Aurora was the absolute best for, and way better than native Postgres. I think I would count that as when not to use Postgres. Because it's kind of Postgres compatible like or Cockroach like or any of these kind of compatible or
Nikolay: you know
Michael: yeah I'd say I like to be yeah so you're right it's kind of a scale it's hard to like draw a line where it where it is and isn't
Nikolay: it's a spectrum Postgres yeah
Michael: yeah yeah cool okay but yeah it feels like that's an easy 1, right? If you've got little devices or little, you know, little sensors.
Nikolay: Yeah, default choice is SQLite already. And I like the idea of PGlite, and I know Supabase used it for database.build project, which I like a lot. With like merging this with AI and right in browser, you can create pet projects and maybe like explore and it's a very creative tool to think about, to bootstrap some new project, think how it could look like It has the AR diagram and you can iterate with the eyes. It's great. And there, PGlite works really well. And I'm sure they already created this ability to deploy, to sync what you build to real Postgres in Supabase somewhere, right?
Michael: Well, I think that was the main aim of the company behind PGlite, called like ElectricSQL or something.
Nikolay: Replication.
Michael: Yeah, exactly. So it's the whole premise was local, if you heard of local first development, so the idea like apps like Linear, the task management tool, they they're like lightning fast because they do everything locally and then sync.
Nikolay: Very thick client. Very thick client. Yes. Basically like Git, like Git clone, when you type Git clone and execute it, it's basically a whole repository. It can live on your machine. Yep. Distributed fashion, right?
Michael: Well, and it has to handle mergers.
Nikolay: Yeah. You can use there. It's great. It's a conflict. I'm curious if we could explore better branching in that area because we already very close to implementing a synchronization between 2 DBLab engines. Yeah, but it's a different story. Yeah. I like the idea. So it might be a foundation for... PGlite, I mean, might be a foundation for more apps which will live in browser but then be synchronized with real Postgres.
Michael: Yeah or even desktop apps like it doesn't have to be browser-based.
Nikolay: Well I guess the desktop apps built on top of using electron right?
Michael: Oh no yeah good point good point.
Nikolay: And then if you don't have internet connection you still can work? Yeah. Like offline mode? That's great. I like the idea actually. I like the idea. So you have Postgres mirror. Postgres, well, it reminds me of multi-master replication. This is complexity.
Michael: All the same problems, like with merging and conflicts.
Nikolay: But at the same time, recent Postgres has this ability to create subscription and avoid loops of replication.
Michael: Yeah, true.
Nikolay: So origin something you can say, I want to replicate on the data which doesn't have origin, which means it was born here. Local origin basically, but means no origin there somehow. Terminology is strange a little bit, as usual in Postgres, right? But it's great ability to break the loops, infinite loops. Yeah, it's
Michael: interesting. Yeah, it fixes 1 of the problems, but it doesn't...
Nikolay: Fix all of them, no fix.
Michael: Yeah, exactly. And like, last write win type things, yeah.
Nikolay: But if you use, if you need to have very good, like, server-side application and so on, you choose Postgres, but then you have these very thick clients, and you need to choose a database for them, and you choose SQLite, then you need to synchronize between them somehow. It's maybe even worse.
Michael: Even harder. I think that's
Nikolay: the point. Different data types and models. Yeah.
Michael: Yeah. Cool. What about the specialized workloads like vectors? And I was going to bring up search as well. I think search is slightly easier.
Nikolay: Let's bring search.
Michael: I don't actually have, I haven't written an app or been involved in an application that is heavily reliant on, like, very advanced search features. But the people I speak to that have swear by how good ElasticSearch is.
Nikolay: This is also what I see. I touch Elastic only usually working with some logs, application logs, Postgres logs, through Kibana, so ELK, or how is it called, this stack. But I also see many customers use Elastic and like it, and shift from full-text search to Postgres. There, okay, their choice right and I know limitations of Postgres native full-text search yeah I'm also I don't understand ParadeDB and I haven't seen benchmarks The benchmark I saw was only in the beginning when they didn't create index on tsvector column.
Michael: They made a really interesting hire recently. I saw, do you remember ZomboDB?
Nikolay: Hires, yes.
Michael: Do you remember? Several hires,
Nikolay: Because they raise money, yeah. But where are benchmarks? So I don't understand what's there because I don't see benchmarks. I tried recently because their CEO, founder, Philip, approached me. Nice. Maybe asking for, I guess, to spread the word, but I cannot spread the word if I don't see numbers. If it's about performance company, show numbers. I might be missing something because... Yeah, so.
Michael: The other product in this space for Postgres was an extension called ZomboDB, which synchronized, which kept an ElasticSearch index maintained, but the data coming from Postgres originally. So I thought that was a really fascinating way of having both. A bit like when we talked about analytics, like having the interface be from Postgres, but the actual query being run on something that isn't Postgres. So that was fascinating and it was the founder of that ZomboDB that recently joined Parade. So that seems interesting.
Nikolay: This whole story seems interesting. I don't understand it because I cannot find numbers at the same time I see everyone mentions them, a lot of blog posts, a lot of GitHub stars, a lot of like a lot of noise, but where are the numbers and benchmarks so they removed it after initial ones.
Michael: Yeah, so if you were to try and stay within Postgres, they seem like the obvious thing to try. But I still see people choosing ElasticSearch, and I'm not sure why.
Nikolay: Yeah, yeah. Yeah, yeah. Please, if someone listening to us can share benchmarks showing how ParadeDB is behaving under load, some number of rows, some number of queries, like latencies, buffers used ideally, right? I would appreciate it because I'm still, I'm just, I'm stuck in question what is this?
Michael: Cool. What about vectors?
Nikolay: Vectors I have a picture for you I saw yesterday near my house. These guys definitely, yeah, those who can see YouTube, please check this out. So these guys are definitely experts in vector storage.
Michael: This is Nikolay's joke, it's like a removal company that are called Vector Moving and Storage.
Nikolay: I saw storage as well, I thought it's funny. So we have turbopuffer, right?
Michael: Well, again, not Postgres, right?
Nikolay: Not Postgres at all, and not open source at all. And not free
Michael: at all,
Nikolay: even though freemium. And data is in S3, and this new type of indexes is being used there. I already forgot the name. But yeah, so it's not HNSW.
Michael: Oh, interesting.
Nikolay: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Michael: I didn't know.
Nikolay: So HNSW doesn't scale beyond a few million rows. DiskANN and we had the Timescale TigerData guys who developed an advanced version of that. My perception, I don't see what scales to billion rows at all. And turbopuffer says they scale to billion rows, but as I understand, it's a multi-tenant approach. So every, like, it's not 1 set of billion vectors. I also don't understand that, but like I see some development, the planned scale for MySQL, they implemented the same index. And this development started, I think, at Microsoft and maybe in China, actually. Microsoft in China, this is what I saw. And interestingly, they choose Postgres for prototyping. So this area is worth additional research. I started it and didn't have time, unfortunately, but it's a very interesting direction, what's happening with vector search. Because I think Postgres is losing right now.
Michael: Well you say losing, I think...
Nikolay: It's losing, 100%.
Michael: Well, bear with me. I think there are a lot of use cases that don't need the scale that you're talking about. And a lot of those are fine on Postgres with pgvector. But you're probably talking about the ones that then succeed and do really well and scale, they hit a limit relatively quickly, or like within the first couple of years.
Nikolay: It's really hard to maintain a huge HNSW index and latency-wise it's not good. turbopuffer, I'm not fully sold on that idea that let's store everything on S3. Speaking on S3, a few weeks ago they released S3 vectors. AWS released S3 vectors, and this might become mainstream. So S3 itself right now supports vector indexes. Have you heard about this? No. I think this might become mainstream. But if big change doesn't happen in Postgres ecosystem, it will be worse than the case with full-text search and Elastic. It will be worse. How it's called? Like, alarmist I am today, right?
Michael: Well, this is the point of the episode, right? It's like, it's almost by design that we're talking about the weaknesses.
Nikolay: I was feeling so good saying like, I would choose Postgres for this, this and this. I can rely. But here, since we have 1.1 or 1.2 million vectors in our RAG system for Postgres knowledge. Postgres knowledge.
Michael: Is that mostly because of the mailing list? Yeah.
Nikolay: Mailing list, I think, 70%. But we also have a lot of pieces of source code of various versions and not only Postgres, PgBouncer and so on and documentation it's a lot of stuff also blog posts and I feel not well thinking about how to add more. And we are going to add more. We are going to do 10x at some point. Of course, we will check what TigerData has, but at the same time, I'm feeling not well. In terms
Michael: of- Is the main issue latency? I'm not sure. Is it query latency? Or what's the main, okay, yeah.
Nikolay: Latency, index size, index build time, all these things. Interesting. Ability to have additional filter, which is something that HNSW still lacks, right? Yeah. Maybe.
Michael: I do remember seeing an update on the pgvector repo but I can't remember what. I feel like they had a something to address this but I can't remember what.
Nikolay: I haven't touched this topic for several months. I might be already lagging in terms of updates. It's a very hot topic, of course, very young as well, right?
Michael: Yeah, and not something I'm experiencing again. It's more something I'm observing. So you're definitely way ahead of me on this.
Nikolay: Yeah. So I know just companies use, and We have several customers who are in Postgres, but they chose turbopuffer additionally. And Linear you mentioned, for example. Cursor and Linear, they also chose turbopuffer. Notion chose turbopuffer to store vectors. I'm just checking. They have
Michael: Some cool customers on this list, yeah.
Nikolay: Yeah. And several more companies which not mentioned here, we also mentioned, and they are our customers in terms of Postgres consulting. And they were super surprised to see that something is like massive migration of vectors is happening. Some moving company called turbopuffer helped them move their vectors to S3. But yeah, it's interesting and they use some different index, which is like younger idea. It's based on clustering and centroids, so vectors. So it's like ANN is implemented differently, not graph-like as in HNSW, but basically quickly understand which centroids of clusters are closer to our vector and then work with those clusters. Quite simple idea actually, but I guess there are many complexities in implementation there.
Michael: Yeah. Well, and it's cheap, right? Being on S3.
Nikolay: Oh, yes. And slow. But they have, turbopuffer, I guess they have additional layer to cache on regular disks closer to the database. So there's caching layer, of course, yeah, but it's much cheaper, much. Actually, this is another area, if you have hundreds of terabytes of data, tiering of storage in Postgres is still not fully solved problem. Right.
Michael: Well, unless you shard, right? And this is like
Nikolay: the next generation. It's too expensive to shard and keep everything on disks, especially if there is some archive data which you touch very rarely. I would prefer to have it on S3. And Timescale Cloud, TigerData, they solved it in their solution. We also had attempt to solve it from Tembo, which is not Postgres company anymore. Yeah. PGT, right, it was called. But this is, I think, this should be like more and more needed over time.
Michael: Well, and it's a side effect of the, like, the Crunchy Data approach of putting things in Iceberg, that also solves the problem, right? You can archive the data from Postgres at that point. So it's a similar solution, isn't it?
Nikolay: So I guess these days I would explore S3 vectors at this point. If I needed to. Maybe I will, actually.
Michael: Well, you are going to need to, it sounds like.
Nikolay: Well, yeah, yeah, yeah. PostgreSQL infrastructure mostly is on CloudSQL. Not CloudSQL, Google Cloud. Not CloudSQL, no, no, no. That was wrong. Google Cloud, so...
Michael: 1 level up.
Nikolay: Yeah, yeah, yeah. But S3 is AWS, so it's... But it's really interesting. Should be cheap, should be interesting to explore. And it's a big challenge to the Postgres ecosystem. Or maybe an opportunity if somebody creates a foreign data wrapper source. Actually, why not? It should be. It's a good project, by the way, right? So interface... There is a foreign data wrapper to S3 already, right?
Michael: I think so. I think super... I don't know, I'll check.
Nikolay: Should be just extended to have vector functions, in my opinion. Okay, enough. It's like a brainstorm mode already. Thank you so much. See you next week.
Michael: Thanks, and catch you next week. Bye-bye.
Nikolay: See you next week.