I talk about my 108-day calendar, why I chose 108 days, and some of the 108 lore. That spills into talking about flags, symbols, Taoism, and Shamanism. Finally, I discuss what this podcast is going to be about.
I almost decided to re-record this episode but then I noticed that it was 1:08:01 (108 forward and backwards!) and I finished saying “One hour and eight minutes” right at 1:08! The universe approved!
00:00 - Introduction
01:30 - The new calendar I created for myself
- Flow and Dream time post “1.1.1 – Flow and Dream Time (FDT)”
- 108 evolved from quarterly planning. I got the idea for doing 90-day cycles from a post from Taylor Pearson titled “Antifragile Planning: Optimizing for Optionality (Without Chasing Shiny Objects)”. It’s a very detailed system and worth reading if you want to get ideas for your own system.
- Here’s the handwritten journal entry and photo post that accidentally started the 108-day cycles “Day 1: Flow to Your Dream''. The final post, “Day 108 – Being Bipolar is a NeverEnding Startup”, is a cringey application to a mobile only startup accelerator. At the time I didn’t know the difference between an accelerator and an incubator. I should have been looking for an incubator.
- I have no idea what post I saw on Quora, but here’s a bunch of answers to the question “What is so special about the number "108"?”
...aka The Republic of China calendar (Chinese: 中華民國曆) or Minguo calendar (Chinese: 民國紀年) from Wikipedia
- Side story about Laurel Hubbard (Wikipedia), first trans women selected to compete in the Olympics and how it led to hearing the term “colonial (linguistic) violence”, what appears to be a branch of “linguistic imperialism” (Wikipedia). I found one paper titled “Linguistic Imperialism: Colonial Violence through Language” (PDF) if you’re REALLY interested.
- Workweek and weekend on Wikipedia. It has its history and how it’s practiced around the world.
- Live Action Role-Playing game (LARP) on Wikipedia. I’m LARPing in the 108 Universe.
- The Sexagenary cycle (Wikipedia) aka Stems-and-Branches. It’s where the Xinhai in Xinhai Revolution comes from.
- Yellow River Shamanism
- Yu the Great
- The blending of religious ideas (Shamanism, Taoism, Buddhism, and Confucianism) until the fall of the Qing dynasty
- Those ideas evolving into the Republic of China
- Those ideas fleeing to Taiwan as the Cultural Revolution destroyed “The Four Olds” (Old Ideas, Old Culture, Old Habits, and Old Customs)
- 108 and Flowism
- I’m going to have to do a blog post about Wanhua graffiti, but here’s a blog post with some visuals for now.
- Google Street view of Building #108 in the 108
- Pan-African Flag (Wikipedia)
- 道 from Taoism in Red, Black, and Green (Instagram) Instagram accounts of photographer and models are at the bottom of the post
- YouTube video of photo
- Blog post about this history of the colors for Kenya “BLACK, RED AND GREEN: The story behind the Kenyan flag”
- History of Flags (Wikipedia)
- Donald Trump Rambo Flag
- The Eight Banners (Wikipedia) were administrative and military divisions under the Later Jin and the Qing dynasty of China into which all Manchu households were placed.
- Shamanism in the Qing Dynasty (Wikipedia) | Manchu Shamanism (Wikipedia)
- Flag of the Qing Dynasty (Wikipedia)
- 108 on Wikipedia
- Correction: 108 degrees is the inside angle of a pentagon, not a pentagram
- 6 (touch, taste, hearing, seeing, smelling, consciousness) * 3 (pleasant, painful, neutral) * 2 (internal or external) * (past, present, future) = 108
- “The Five Percenters: Islam, Hip-hop and the Gods of New York” (Amazon)
What is 108 Ways to Podcast?
If you need to read the description this podcast probably isn't for you. This is Casey Abbott Payne's place to talk about whatever, whenever, wherever, with whoever. Casey... I like to think about a lot of different things so things podcast will be about a lot of different things. Love you. Hope you're having a wonderful day!