Michael: Hello and welcome to Postgres.FM, a weekly show about all things PostgreSQL. I am Michael, founder of pgMustard, and this is Nik, founder of Postgres.AI.
Hey Nik, how's it going? Nikolay: Good, good. How are you?
Michael: Yeah, keeping well, thank you.
Nikolay: Yeah, so a long time, obviously. We skipped last week because of me doing some stuff at work and with family, so couldn't make it. Thank you for understanding and I'm glad we are back.
Michael: Yeah, and no complaints from listeners, so thank you everybody for your patience.
Nikolay: Nobody noticed. They are still mostly catching up, we know. Yeah. Somebody shared on LinkedIn that like, oh, I discovered PostgresFM and while I was walking the dog, listen to all the episodes. It took me like almost 2 weeks. Like, okay, once 1, 164 episodes during 10 days it's challenging right it's like 16 episodes per day
Michael: yeah that's binge watching
Nikolay: Yeah It's you need maybe 2x or 3x speed and yeah, it's insane. So This topic we have today. It's not my originally. It's from Maxim Boguk. I Probably mentioned him a couple of times. He always has very interesting ideas and approaches to solving hard problems. And, I remember he said, he told me it was maybe half a year ago, maybe more. He said, I squeezed more than 10 terabytes per hour when copying data directly from 1 machine to another. And for me, the standard was 5 years ago, it was 1 terabyte per hour. I think I mentioned it a few times. We had an episode about how to copy Postgres from 1 machine to another. And 1 terabyte per hour, it's like this. Okay. Modern hardware, we know there's a throughput for disks, throughput for network, throughput to disks on the source and on the destination, both matter here, parallelization, and SSD is good with parallelization. So basically, golden standard for me was 1 terabyte per hour. And if you need to create WAL-G or pgBackRest backup, it was 1 terabyte per hour at least. And then we saw like 2, 3 terabytes if you raise parallelization with modern hardware. But it was still about not local NVMe, but about EBS volumes or PD SSD disks on Google Cloud, persistent disks on Google Cloud. And so like traditional disks. By the way, those are also improved. EBS volumes are pretty fast these days and the Google Cloud also has hyperdisks which are impressive, but not as impressive as local NVMe disks, right? Maxim told me that, of course, he was using local NVMes. It was some self-managed Postgres setup with special machines, so local disks and no snapshots like in cloud and so on, and backups to where? To different machine or to S3? It doesn't matter here. The idea was how fast we can provision a replica, because sometimes we need it, for example, 1 replica is down or we reconfigure something, we need to build a replica. And normally if we have cloud disk snapshots, these days we use cloud disk snapshots. By the way, there is great news. Andrey Borodin implemented in WAL-G, Andrey is a maintainer of WAL-G, implemented native support for CloudDisk snapshots in WAL-G as an alternative to backup push, backup fetch. So instead of full backup or delta backups, you can rely on snapshots, AWS, GCP, or others provide.
Michael: Yeah, I saw this. Is it a draft PR at the moment? Or what's the status of this?
Nikolay: It was just created a few days ago, early. It was vibe-coded mostly. Andrey is a great hacker, but I think our hacking Postgres sessions contributed to this idea. Let's do more code writing with LLMs. But of course, the review will be thorough. I think it's already happening. I saw many comments and the result will be improved and so on. So no hallucinations will be allowed. Right. So all covered with tests and so on. Anyway, there is this idea that instead of full backups, we can have snapshots, but at the same, like I see like 2 big trends. 1 trend is, okay, if we have snapshots for disks, let's use them more and more and more and rely on cloud capabilities, depending on cloud. Of course, such backups need testing and so on. In parallel, there is an old idea, we should not be afraid of using local NVMes. We know they lose data if the machine is restarted. Ephemeral disks, right? But it's okay. These days, if a machine is having issues, we usually just re-provision it anyway. And switch over or failover doesn't require restart, so it's very seamless. It means that we can live with local NVMes, right? And additional momentum to this idea recently was created by PlanetScale, which came to Postgres ecosystem and started showing very good looking pictures in terms of benchmarks and real latencies from production systems. Of course, you cannot beat local NVMe disks with their million to 3,000,000 IOPS and amazing throughput, like more than 10 gigabytes per second writes and reads. It's insane. Because for regular disks we have 123 gigabytes per second only and that's it. And IOPS, 100 to 100,000 IOPS maximum.
Michael: And I think for me, the critical part is if we have an HA setup with failover in place, then we don't need the durability of those disks, that we don't need there to be 6 cloud backups, you know, so because we're gonna fail over anyway So yeah, it's that that insight and I think they did a good job of making that very clear If you've got an HA set up we can make use of the NVME drives.
Nikolay: Yeah, by the way, I recognize I'm mixing throughput and latency. Anyway, local NVMes are good in both aspects of performance and like almost or sometimes full order of magnitude better than network attached disks and so on. But you don't have snapshots. So 2 big downsides, you don't have snapshots, and there is a hard stop in terms of disk size. If you plan to grow 200 terabytes, you definitely need something like sharding, or anyway, some way to split. Only if you have it, if you master it, then in this case, local disks are great for, for like long-term planning, but for long-term planning, Everyone should remember also that EBS volumes and PD SSD or something, hyper disks are limited to 64 terabytes and both CloudSQL and RDS, this is hard limit for them as well, 64 terabytes. This is cliff or wall, very hard 1. And Aurora has 128 terabytes, double of capacity. But anyway, if you self-manage, you can use LVM, of course, to combine multiple disks, and I think some companies already do it. But in the case of local disks, it's really hard stopping, nothing to combine, unfortunately. Anyway, you usually combine multiple disks when you have terabytes of data. In my benchmarks, in our benchmarks, we combine multiple disks on the i4i instances. So there is a hard stop in terms of capacity. I think on i4i it's 40 terabytes or something like this. It's impressive, right? So if you think you won't grow to that size very soon, it's a very great alternative to consider if you go self-managed or some self-Kubernetes managed setup compared to RDS. Because it gives you an order of magnitude better performance, right?
Michael: Yeah. By the way, when you say our benchmarks, do you mean in the blog post you did with Maxim?
Nikolay: Yeah, yeah. So the original idea was by Maxim. He did the majority of initial work, created the recipe. I will tell the recipe, like why it existed. But the idea was we need to copy from 1 machine to another as fast as possible. We don't have snapshots because it's local disks. Either fully like maybe your own data center or it's these instances with local disks like i4i, i7i. I remember I explored this idea very long ago, 10 years or so maybe, yeah, 10 years maybe ago with i3 instances at that time. I really liked the cost of the final solution because the disks are included, instance costs are slightly higher, and performance is great. So we did a lot of benchmarks using i3 instances, even spot instances, I remember it was great. So you get very cheap, very powerful machine and do with Postgres many things. So anyway, the goal was how to clone to provision a replica, for example, or to provision a clone for experiments.
Michael: Yeah, I wanted to ask about this because in the benchmark, for example, you turned off checksums. And it was interesting to me, Because if you're provisioning a replica, presumably you wouldn't do that. But if you were doing it for some other reason, maybe you would. Yeah, so what are the use cases here where this would make sense?
Nikolay: Well, if it's a clone for experiments, we don't need to be super strict. And this option, I think, exists mostly for backups to make them super reliable and so on. Of course, and also, you know what, this is an extra feature that BackRest has, which it's actually a luxury to have it. So yeah, of course, it would be good to see experiment with checksums enabled of course results should go down but for some cases it's a it's appropriate to disable that that check
Michael: that's a good point actually so if we don't have it it's not Is there a risk of introducing corruption, or is it more that we persist... Like, if our primary is corrupted,
Nikolay: is
Michael: it both?
Nikolay: Let me ask you this, if you copy data using pg_basebackup, Who will check this? Who will do that?
Michael: Yeah, good point.
Nikolay: Or you use rsync. Traditional ways are rsync and pg_basebackup. This is the most traditional way. Both are single threaded. That's the point. They are single threaded, so, and there is no checksum. This is an extra feature. It's great that DBLab implemented it. And it would be good to compare how it affects this amazing performance. But anyway, the original goal was to be able to copy data with traditional way, not involving backups this time. Because usually, we basically, like normally, If not snapshots, we just fetch from backups using WAL-G or pgBackRest. This is also a very fast way, and there you can control also parallelization, you can provision quite fast. And S3 and GCS on Google Cloud, they are good with parallelization, like 16 threads, 32 threads. You can speed up significantly, you can increase throughput of backing up or restoring from backup. But in this case, OK, we don't have those backups. We just want to clone from 1 machine to another, that's it. And the problem is, pg_basebackup is still single-threaded. There are discussions and even patch proposed to make it multi-threaded, but apparently it's not trivial. And I don't see current work in progress, So I think it will stay single-threaded. So Maxim came up with the idea that we could use pgBackRest node to create backups in S3 and then restore, because it's basically copying twice. If you have them already, good, just restore. But if you don't have them somehow or cannot involve them somehow, you just have 2 machines you need to clone. In this case, he just came up with idea, let's use pgBackRest to copy from 1 machine to another, that's it. It's not its primary job, right? But why not? And he told me, like I said, months ago that he achieved more than 10 terabytes per hour. Yeah. Which is great, which is like absolutely great and impressive.
Michael: And multiple times what you thought was, you know, considered good.
Nikolay: Yeah, so I already, from this fact and others, I already recognize that Like 1 hour, 1 terabyte per hour is not a golden standard anymore. It's outdated. We need to raise the bar. Definitely. So maybe 2, at least, I don't know, maybe more 3, 4, how much like should be okay for modern hardware for large databases these days, maybe 5 terabytes per hour should be considered as like good because you, you see, you build some infrastructure and you see some numbers and we have clients, not 1 client, many clients who come to us and complain, okay, We will backups take like this amount of time, like 10 hours. What's your size of database? 200 gigabytes, 10 hours, 200 gigabytes, something is absolutely wrong, you know, maybe like, let's see where situation is, where is the bottleneck. And it can be disks, in many cases, but maybe network, maybe something else, mostly disks. But anyway, this is not normal. Sometimes it's software and lack of parallelization and so on but it's not okay to live with these bad numbers these days, right? It's already... We have very powerful hardware usually.
Michael: Just to ask the stupid question, what's the negative impact of it taking 10 hours?
Nikolay: Well, it affects many things, for example, RPO, RTO, right? You create backups, you recover a long time, it affects RTO. How much time, recovery target objective, how much time do you spend to recover from disaster? You lost all the nodes, how much time to get at least something working, at least 1 node working. If it's 10 hours for 200 gigabytes, it's a very bad number. You need to change things to have better infrastructure and software and so on. And This is 1 thing. Another thing is when you upgrade, for example, sometimes you need to clone, our recipe involves cloning, a recipe for 0 downtime upgrades. And if it takes so many hours, it's hard to think what will happen when you will have 10 terabytes? How many days will you need, right? So it's not okay. This requires optimization earlier.
Michael: And also for provisioning replicas, a certain amount of time taken is always going to be acceptable, I guess, because it's not the primary, right? Like we've maybe
Nikolay: lost... It depends. If it's only primary you are out of replicas is dangerous even with the most it's I would be running with 2 nodes I would spend as much as less time as possible.
Michael: So when you say 2 nodes, do you mean with 2 replicas? Oh no, okay, so 1.
Nikolay: Primary and 1 standby, it's already degraded state. We need a third node, right? To be in, with 3 nodes, you have how many nines, 12 nines or so? If you check the availability of EC2 instances and just think about 3 nodes and what's the chance to be out of anything, this will be I think 12 nines or something, as I remember.
Michael: That's a lot of nines.
Nikolay: Yeah, yeah, and that's great. So it means like almost 0 chances that you will be down unless some stupid bug which propagates to all the nodes and puts Postgres on knees on all nodes simultaneously. Anyway, if we integrate it, and especially if it's just 1 primary, it's a very dangerous state. Like, I like, we have cases in some clients who run only 1 node and like, we discuss it with them, it's not okay, but somehow these days it's, they just survive because the cloud became better, you know, like it doesn't die so often. Nodes don't die so often as before.
Michael: I also think there's this phenomenon where if you're in US East 1 and you go down there's so many other services that are down at the same time that you kind of get not a free pass but like they get away with it a little bit more.
Nikolay: You're in the club right?
Michael: No no no
Nikolay: you are down others are down like we are we are in the same club.
Michael: Yeah, I'm not in that club, but yes, I think a little bit.
Nikolay: No, I think, yeah, we have also customers who got in that trouble as well, and they seriously think it's not okay, and they need more region set up, And I think this drives right now improvements in many companies and infrastructure and so on.
Michael: I'm glad to hear that.
Nikolay: Yeah. Anyway, and with our 1 node is dangerous, like I would provision more nodes sooner. And in some cases you cannot leave with 1 node. If you already relied on distributing read-only traffic between among multiple nodes, 1 node won't be capable of serving this traffic.
Michael: Yeah, so we've established speed matters. Of course. Sorry, time matters, therefore speed matters. How do we go faster?
Nikolay: Yeah, so pg_basebackup, I expected like, okay, it's single threaded, so I expect something like 234 hundred megabytes per second maximum. And this is what also my expectations fully matched with what I saw Maxim shared with me. But when I started testing I took 2 nodes i4i, it's not the latest it's a third generation Intel scalable Xeon which is quite outdated they have already fifth generation i7i so 2 nodes 32 cores it's 128 vcpus more than terabyte of memory I think both, and 75 gigabit per second network. And the disks are like, I think it's 3 million IOPS I remember, I don't remember how many megs per second, gigabytes per second. It's definitely somewhere like 10 or more gigabytes per second disk throughput maximum. I think 8 disks already in RAID. I took Ubuntu. I installed Postgres 18 and this was my mistake. Because this gave me very good speed for pg_basebackup. Unexpectedly. I saw gigabyte per second. And I was like, oh, what am I doing wrong here? Because it's too fast. And then I realized it's Postgres 18 improvements, right? io_uring.
Michael: Well, yeah, I saw you said that in the blog post. But did you run it deliberately with io_uring on?
Nikolay: It's by default.
Michael: Well, no, it's not io_uring by default. But it is using something similar it's using something similar it's like
Nikolay: that's some pre-fetching or something but it's definitely nothing
Michael: yeah well it's it does have 3 work 2 or 3 work processes by default, and it is an asynchronous I/O thing.
Nikolay: No, I didn't change that setting. So this is probably an accuracy in my blog post.
Michael: But maybe not bad, because it might still be AIO. It might still be asynchronous I/O, just not io_uring.
Nikolay: So, right, there is setting I/O method, right? And default is worker, right? Yeah. And it's asynchronous I/O using worker process. Yeah, it's not io_uring, I need to make correction.
Michael: But this is actually interesting, because I think the default is only 2 or 3 workers, which means if you increase that number, you might see triple, like,
Nikolay: 3 workers, you
Michael: got triple. Yeah. So you got roughly triple the
Nikolay: exact in my expectations for 300 yeah
Michael: but if you increase that number if you increase the number of workers you might be able to get even more
Nikolay: doesn't mean I need to spend a few hundred dollars again for these machines? I guess so.
Michael: Or an exercise to the reader.
Nikolay: How it worked. I started them at 6pm or something. I worked with them. Cursor did a lot of work. Like I just explained control that I connected T-Max, Iostat, IOTOP, everything. I see how many threads, everything, like htop, many things. So I see that it's doing work as I do. Many iterations to Polish approach. And then I realized, okay, it's already 9pm, 10pm, but I cannot drop it because it's already provisioned and it took time to create 1 terabyte database. I had comments from Maxim as well at 1 terabyte is not enough. Like, okay, I agree. I should do 10 terabytes. So I guess I need to redo this. I have homework to do.
Michael: You don't need to redo it. It's just an interesting-
Nikolay: It's interesting to me as well. Because I also want to see Postgres 17, you know? Yes. And different settings here. I think it's interesting how pgBaseBackup can behave with various settings. More workers, io_uring as well, sync as well, right? Synchronously. So not asynchronously like here, but synchronously. It should go down. The throughput should go down. Should go
Michael: back down.
Nikolay: Yeah, yeah, yeah. So now, obviously, you just make me do another round of this experiment right
Michael: well sorry but I also think like this someone else could do this right someone else could do this
Nikolay: yeah I I will have it in my to-do list, but if someone who is listening to us is ready to repeat, maybe they have already some good machines. Unfortunately, I don't have credits anymore. Like I did in my company, had a lot of credits, but not now. Maybe someone has credits and can provision big machines and just avoid extra spending Because I think a few more times it will be already $1,000 just to check this setting. And I'm not interested in checking on smaller machines and then like extrapolating. No, no, no. It's boring and not serious. So it should be big machines. I would also check i7i Because they have 100 megabit per second. It's versus 75. So also extra I Think we can exceed 10 gigabytes per second And so what I've got with pgBackRest with pg_basebackup 1 gigabyte I think you are right in terms of 3 workers. This is why, right? Interesting to check more workers. With pgBackRest, I increased parallelization and my blog post has this like the Graph showing how throughput was growing with more and more workers and then situation happened on that network So I achieved 36 terabytes per hour And that was also exceeding my expectations. I was hoping like be close to 20 maybe, right? But this machine's,
Michael: yeah. It sounds fake to me. It just sounds like not believable. But it obviously is impressive.
Nikolay: Yeah, so i7i with 100 megabit per second should give maybe more than 40, right? Maybe approaching 50 TB per hour. This raises the bars and expectations what we should have in our systems these days. So it should be normal, 5 terabytes per hour should be normal now, I think. Answering my own question some minutes ago, right? 10 terabytes should be not surprising already, if you have local disks. With BS volumes, different.
Michael: Yeah, for me, I guess the surprising thing is that we can saturate the network. Like, it then becomes about your network, right? I think. And the number of cores.
Nikolay: Yeah. Yeah, if you saturate network, the idea is of course, let's try compression. So I did. And compression improves things, but, so it shifts the saturation point, but it's like quickly saturated again, and it was not helping to achieve more. Maybe I saturated the disks there actually. So if you look at the picture...
Michael: I'll pull up your blog post as well. Yeah, because you hit a peak around 32 parallel processes.
Nikolay: Ah, also SSH overhead. I've got good comments on Twitter that it would be good to check TLS. It would require effort to configure, but it should also reduce some overhead and throughput should be improved. Wow. So I guess 36 terabytes per hour is not the current limit for modern hardware in AWS. We can squeeze more, right? So we can probably squeeze up to 50 terabytes per hour. There are several good ideas, and also squeeze from pg_basebackup. So this is a competition, right? So my intention was to show like pg_basebackup is bad, single-threaded, forget about it, here's the recipe. Now with Postgres 18, it's not that bad. It can be tuned additionally, as you say, probably, right? And we can have very good speed with it as well. So it's interesting. And 1 gigabit per second is more than 3 terabytes per hour.
Michael: Yeah, wow.
Nikolay: Yeah, 3, 600 gigabyte per hour, right? It's more than 3 terabytes. So it's already like good enough. And these are default settings. So the answer, should you use pgBackRest Recipe? Well, it depends. With Postgres 18, with older Postgres, I definitely think you will be limited by 3, 400 megs per second. That's it. Because of single-threaded nature of the base backup. And I like this a lot compared to the tricks we did in the past with rsync. rsync is also single threaded and I really don't like that. Why is it so? It should be implemented. People use GNU parallel and so on, but it so feels cumbersome, right? So it's not a lightweight approach to write some things and then control the threads and so on. With rsync, it's definitely single-threaded. pg_basebackup in Postgres 18 basically shines compared to rsync. And also it orchestrates all the stuff additionally like like connecting to the primary doing like telling it I'm copying you right pg_start_backup, pg_stop_backup basically right so you don't need to remember all those things and it's also standard officially.
Michael: Although I would say I was looking because of researching for this I was looking at the pgBackRest docs and GitHub repo just earlier today and it's incredibly well maintained like I was surprised to see
Nikolay: yeah we're moving to David Steele, yeah it's great
Michael: yeah kudos to David but also just in terms of viewing a project for the first time in a while I hadn't seen I hadn't like looked into it in detail for a while. And I think I was just a bit surprised when I looked at an open issue. I was like, there's only 54 open issues? Like that's, for the size of the project, for the age of the project, That for me seems like, and by the way, I'm not taking that number on its own, looking at what they were, like some of them are like feature ideas from a few years ago that are just left open because they're still good ideas. Some of them are new things.
Nikolay: That's good because there's approach when people just close if it's like, okay, no comments for a month, let's close. And I absolutely hate it because if you reported a bug which is not fixed, CloudNativePG, hello, like they just closed because, right? Because it's a little bit of a discussion, but bug is still there and everyone around agrees it's still there. Why do you close my issue? It's a bug report. So next time I won't write anything, right? And I told it everywhere. And in CloudNativePG, I'm not going to contribute anyhow else. So this is like, let's just keep issue set lean, right? It's not okay. If it's a serious problem of idea, it should be there. So the fact that there are all the issues there is great.
Michael: Yeah, yes. So all I meant is, you kind of get these, Sometimes you get red flags when you look at a new project or like if you if you see a project And it's got 20,000 open issues for me That is a red flag like not that it's that there's lots of issues But that no one's maintained no one's closing the ones that are duplicates or things. So it was more just like, I wasn't getting red flags and then there were loads of green flags looking at how like recent PRs and it just, it seemed like a route. So I know it's not in core, but it does still feel like a very tried and tested product that's really well maintained. And I know a lot of people are using it. So it feels pretty much as close to core as like a...
Nikolay: What if you see hundreds or thousands of issues open, but many of them are recent and there is activity. Not well maintained or a mess.
Michael: Spam issue? Like how can you create hundreds of thousands of issues? I just haven't seen a repo like that so maybe I have to like reassess but yeah it's yeah. Have you seen a repo like that?
Nikolay: I have such projects. Oh, okay. So it's just, yeah, there are some old issues that should be closed, you know, yeah. Yes. Well, If you check, well, so I agree this is a great example of well-maintained open source project. Absolutely great. I agree. I think if you check some internal repositories in companies, sometimes it's a mess as well.
Michael: And sometimes it's beautiful. I think it depends a lot on the maintainer
Nikolay: what can you tell about Postgres itself yeah
Michael: well we don't have an issue track
Nikolay: do yeah no issues no no issues right well like
Michael: we should get that would be a good t-shirt. No issues. No issues All right, let's we get back to the topic
Nikolay: back to the topic so David Steele reached out to me commenting and it's great So some inaccuracies in my blog post to fix. And also, obviously, it inspired him to, as I understand this idea was already for quite some time to have the feature to basically issue renice, to reprioritize some processes, right? So now there is a pull request to be able to change priority of pgBackRest processes, which is great.
Michael: Yeah, so this is super cool. So this is the idea that because you're running this on production, you might not want to, you know, let's say you're quite high CPU on your primary.
Nikolay: Compression. Yeah. You use compression, so you need CPU for pgBackRest, for example.
Michael: Yeah. But you don't want to affect your current traffic, right? It reminds
Nikolay: me of old days, like 2003 or 2004, when we also... It's so strange, like, it was... We couldn't think about terabytes those days, 20 plus years ago. It was too much. Terabyte is a mind-blowing number. But we used, I remember, renice, it is renice, ionice, something, I barely remember from those.
Michael: Just NICE, yeah?
Nikolay: Yeah, NICE and so on. It's strange that this word is used to change priority, right? I don't know. Do you know details here? Yeah, no, I don't. Yeah. So I remember from those days we used it, but also I remember I was struggling to see good effects. So now if this pops up again, I would check, test it properly again, how exactly it helps, you know, but this is in to do.
Michael: And really cool that your, that these benchmarks helped prioritize that work. So cool.
Nikolay: Inspires to do more benchmarks as well.
Michael: Always. I get stuck in that loop sometimes, not just with benchmarks, but you know, you think you've used to implement a feature, then you think of a better way to implement it, then you think of a better way, and you think of a better way, and you get stuck in that loop of constant, yeah, or blog posts.
Nikolay: Yeah. This post is definitely not the final. So somebody should achieve 50 terabytes per hour. This is a challenge. Yeah, I like it. Yeah, Who can do it? Who will be the first in the Postgres community reporting 50TB per hour?
Michael: Yeah, let us know. Although, I did see there was an issue that David linked us to, where somebody maxed out a 100-core machine, somebody maxed out a 100 core machine and it convinced him to increase the, he had a process max at 99 before then. So I thought that was quite funny that, you know, there was a, the limiting factor was this hard-coded yeah limit
Nikolay: number of maximum number of vcpus on AWS already I think has it exceeded already of 1000 or no I remember 700 vcpus with also fifth generation into 0 scalable so it's already like just, we have a lot.
Michael: Bear in mind your test maxed out at 32 processes, right? Right, but this 1...
Nikolay: Bumped into network.
Michael: Yes, okay.
Nikolay: And then when I increased compression it shifted, right? So it shifted to 64 cores.
Michael: So I'm wondering what do you think the person in the open issue back in 2019? Maxed out their hundred core like what do you reckon their? Throughput was
Nikolay: I Lower it's interesting, but but maybe you know like we need compression not only to battle network throughput limit, but we also, if it's actual backup, we want, sometimes we want it to take as much, as less space as possible in S3. Right. Just to pay less, maybe. Right. In this case, we can have aggressive compression and CPU consumption high. In this case, it can be 128 cores, for example, third generation of Intel Scalable Xeon has 128 cores maximum, I think, at least in clouds. It's N2 on GCP and I4I, as I used on AWS. But I wonder a lot, how come AWS created 7 or 800 VCP use machines? It's like, wow. So like 10 plus terabytes of memory. Wow. Yeah.
Michael: Yeah. By the way, when you keep saying there was the Google disks earlier, I think you were saying that every time you said that, all I could hear was PTSD. PTSD.
Nikolay: PD, SSD. System disk, SSD. Yeah, yeah. I
Michael: heard PTSD. And then when you're saying eye for eye, all I can think of is the saying, an eye for an eye in the world is blind. So now...
Nikolay: Eye for eye.
Michael: Yeah.
Nikolay: Oh, by the way, 1 interesting thing, like EBS volumes these days also are built on top of, NVMes. I don't know how's it called, Nitro architectural. It's always the new name. I don't follow the, all the terms, but I remember 2 gigabytes per second and even more. Right. So I think we can squeeze a 5 to 6 7 terabytes per hour on modern EBS volumes as well
Michael: even on EBS Wow
Nikolay: yes yes yes so so forget about 1 terabyte per hour
Michael: it's old you can do better
Nikolay: yeah definitely better if you have a large database, do better.
Michael: Nice. All right. Good. Thanks so much, Nikolay. I enjoyed that. Take care.
Nikolay: Bye bye.