Gav: The podcast on Haunted Hill will contain spoilers and swearing.
Intro: I am the devil, and I am here to do the devil's work. I saw this when I come.
Gav: Hello, and welcome to the podcast on Haunted Hill, episode 160. My name is Gavin.
Dan: My name is Dan.
Gav: We welcome you to a very hot and spicy episode.
Dan: Sticky.
Gav: Sticky, sweaty, smelly. No, it's just really the location of the recording of Dan and I. It's a very hot time at the moment. I mean, no, proper. So, Poltergeist II and III is not really hot movies, but they are kind of summary films, I guess. Yeah.
Dan: Well, there's a lot of ice in the third one.
Gav: But there is actually, it's more of a Novembery movie, I guess, actually.
Dan: First one, though, definitely got the summer vibe.
Gav: Which we're not talking about. Anyway, how are you?
Dan: I'm good, thanks. Just so you know, we're experiencing a weird heat wave in the UK at the moment, where it's approaching around 30 degrees celsius, if you use British terminology, pounds in celsius. I still know Fahrenheit is used a lot at other places. But yeah, so we're very hot at the moment. Gab's sat in a pair of pants.
Gav: Just drinking a massive glass of water. I'll take him tomorrow, because it's going to get hotter.
Dan: I've got an iced cold Coca-Cola Zero out of the fridge.
Gav: Oh, good.
Dan: But a hot coffee on the other side of the table.
Gav: Yeah, I had a cold coffee, I couldn't do that.
Dan: And I'm sat in my basketball vest and Gav's sat in his pants. So just to paint the picture for you all, like I was Bob Ross. That's what's going on.
Gav: I'm not going to sit in my pants. I'd feel like the listeners would be able to hear me in my pants, rather than in my shorts. So, you know. There's no sounds like that.
Dan: It's just the worst thing is I'm the one on the leather sofa.
Gav: You are, you get stuck to it.
Dan: Yeah, I've had that before. Anyway, yes, episode 160 is fantastic. I'm very well, thanks, Gav. Apart from it being very hot. Before we get into what we've been up to and all that kind of business.
Gav: It doesn't smell of shit, though.
Dan: Yes.
Gav: Just to conclude the last episode, I found out the next morning that actually there was a pair of slippers with shit all over them, which had been in the room. And that's why I kept saying the whole time, going, it still stinks. That's why.
Dan: Just to put a pin in it there, if anybody didn't listen to the last episode, you're probably wondering what on earth Gav's talking about, shit covered slippers. Basically, he's dogged shit all over the flat. And in the last episode, he powered through four or five hours worth of recording with me with the smell of shit. He lit candles, he lit incense, cleaned it all up as best he could.
Gav: I found it under the desk as I turned the computer on to record. That's how fresh it was.
Dan: It was fresh. But then you find the next day that there was still more, still doggy doo doo on the slippers.
Gav: I had to throw some slippers away.
Dan: And you sent me a horrendous photograph of the...
Gav: Well, that was the photo. Well, I had to show it to you. This is what I found.
Dan: I was eating chocolate spread at the time.
Gav: That was under my nose when recording last time.
Dan: Oh dear. So that's just to fill anyone that didn't catch the last episode. That's what Unearthed Gab's talking about there. There isn't just randomly a pair of slippers in his house with shit on them. But as is tradition, before we get into our jovialities and general nonsense, this is a franchise episode. We're finishing off the Poltergeist franchise, as you mentioned just now. We'll be covering Poltergeist II from 1986, followed by obviously Poltergeist III from 1988. We'll be talking about those two movies. We will touch briefly on the remake and briefly on the TV show, but we're mainly going to be reviewing those two films.
Gav: Do you know, I've got Poltergeist I like in the big box VHS tape here, and then I've got another copy of that. So two exact replicas.
Dan: I know this story.
Gav: Oh, you do, because I've said it before, but the real on one of the copies is Poltergeist II, which doesn't make any sense unless they were printing out the film at the same time, making copies, VHS copies at the same time as part II. And the tape reel just got on to it.
Dan: It's weird. Those kind of mistakes are worth a lot of money, aren't they, on the VHS collector market?
Gav: Yeah, I imagine it is. I haven't looked into it, but I was watching it once and just like, that's so weird. I don't even know why I picked up a second copy, just because it's so cool. Why wouldn't you? If you saw Big OX VHS and Poltergeist, I've got two copies, but yeah.
Dan: Well, talking of VHS, what are the things I've been up to since we last recorded is, my attic has now been boarded out into proper storage. So we put about 50% of everything we own up there. So the house is nice and clear now. There's not shit everywhere.
Gav: This house is clear.
Dan: This house is clear.
Gav: Did you say that to Alice?
Dan: I didn't say that, no.
Gav: What the fuck? You would be useless in an 80s action movie after you've killed someone.
Dan: But I did have a lovely afternoon up there of putting all of my DVDs into chronological order and then did the same with my VHS tapes.
Gav: So now I have easy access-
Dan: Nerd, nerd Elwin. Not chronological, sorry, alphabetical. So now I have easy access to all of my library of shit, which is fantastic. And I've even got my- I've organized it so nicely up there. And Alice won't go out there because she's like, oh, it's too high.
Gav: Dude, projectors are so cheap. You can get projectors like 40 quid. You can get a basic screen for about 30 quid, and you can get rocking chair for about 10, that's second hand. Get yourself up there and have a ball.
Dan: I'm not- this isn't National Lampoon's Christmas vacation.
Gav: Get the fuck up there and dress like Chevy Chase.
Dan: No, it's really hot up there because we've got so much- our house is so hot. And obviously heat rises. When I go up there sometimes, just to like grab one thing.
Gav: It's like- I lived in a loft for like three years.
Dan: You did.
Gav: And I couldn't work on the computer because I'd have to have the fan on the computer. So it wouldn't break. So, yeah, no.
Dan: But that's one of the things I've been up to. I've also been on holiday. Had a fantastic family holiday, Gav.
Gav: Yeah, I'm on holiday next week. You are? With the kids.
Dan: It's always good to have a break.
Gav: Joy Ski Slope next to our accommodation.
Dan: Joy Ski Slope? That sounds like a euphemism.
Gav: Not really. Not with my children, not with me on holiday.
Dan: Well, no. But, I mean, you know.
Gav: No.
Dan: Well, anyway, on my holiday, Gav, I thought you'd like to hear about this. I went to a caravan park, very traditional British holiday in Devon, which is down on the South Coast for anyone who doesn't know the United Kingdom. And it was me, my wife and the children, no in-laws. Thank God. No in-laws and nobody else there. Except for a fucking stalker. Do you want to hear about the stalker?
Gav: Oh, you didn't tell me about this. You kept it for this, haven't you?
Dan: Yeah. So we were there, you know, probably day two.
Gav: Can I very quickly, before you get into it, there's an Only Fools And Horses episode called Friday the 17th. And they decide to go a steel trail down in Cornwall. And they go down to the house on the way there, they're like, please stop them. They're like, oh, what the fuck? Stay quiet, stay quiet. And they're like, oh, there's an escape lunatic. Be careful. Oh, God. Okay. And they go to the house. Have you seen the episode?
Dan: Yes. I remember this episode.
Gav: So good. And they go to the house and there's someone at the door. And it's, oh, I'm just checking out. I see if you're all okay. But that's actually the escape lunatic. And he's wearing the clothes of the person he knocked out. Is this what happened to you?
Dan: No. So it was a bit weird, really, because I ran back to the caravan to grab something, leaving Alice in the amusement arcades with the kids, who were having the time of their life, pumping two pence pieces into those little penny pushers. And when I came back, she was chatting to this lady, who, I think she was 35, 36, she told us, about the same age as my wife. And she had a little boy, and he was about four or five. And his name is Ben. I said, oh, my brother's called Ben. That's a good name, making light conversation. My children were playing with her son. She then revealed her name was Allison. Okay, my wife's name is Alice. That's funny, how strange. Chat, chat, chat. Anyway, then the kids wanted to go outside and play on the big pirate ship, playground thing outside. Okay, so she came out with us. You know, when you're on holiday, you have these conversations. So when you're a parent, you have these conversations with other parents. That's fine. I sat down and she was with her elderly mum. She was on holiday with her elderly mother, who turns out was born in exactly the same village as my mum in Rhodesia, in Zimbabwe. And around about the same time.
Gav: Where is this going?
Dan: And it was like, well, this is too coincidental really. Then I found out her family was originally from Scotland, same village as my grandma, my mum's mum. This is all too weird. It was almost like they were doing that confidence thing where people sort of pull the information out of you. But anyway, that was fine. After about 25, 30 minutes of chatting to them, our kids wanted to go and get a nice loli or something. That's fine. Let's go. See you later. Oh, we should meet up. We should all go to the beach tomorrow. I said, oh, maybe. She said, well, give me your number. So we swapped numbers. And she said, what we'll do is we'll message you tomorrow. We'll all meet up. I said, oh, all right. So anyway, I'll walk you back to your caravan. Oh, back off. Leave me alone. So we'll walk back to the caravan. Oh, look, I'm staying three caravans away from you. How funny. Now we know where you're staying.
Gav: This is funny because I go on some of these holidays sometimes and it's generally the kids that meet other kids and this happens.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: Not the grownups.
Dan: Well, then the next morning, I said to her, I don't really want to meet up with her. And she said, yeah. If we bump into her, we bump into her. That's fine. So the next morning, it was very early in the morning, like seven a.m. and she was jogging past our caravan. Who jogs on their holiday? This woman.
Gav: No, no, no, some people do.
Dan: And she said, oh, you guys, are we all going to go to the beach then? I said, actually, we've got our own sort of plans today. We're going out into a different village, which we were. Oh, that's a shame. All right, well, maybe we'll see you at the disco later. Anyway, we got back from our day trip to the next village over. All got in, sat down, you know, cooling off because it was very hot. What's all going on outside? On our private bit of grass outside, this woman and her elderly mother and her son had appeared and had set up a picnic on our private bit of grass. I stuck my head out and said, Hi, are you all right? She went, yeah, we're having a picnic. Now we know where you are. Do you want to do you want to sit with her? So my kids immediately like, yeah, you run out, sit down. They're getting given food. They're having dinner in a minute. Don't give them crisps and chocolate.
Gav: No, the kids, you can't say to the kids, no, come back. They don't understand anything.
Dan: Then I said to her, well, look, I said to Alice, look, we'll give her, because you get a complimentary bottle of wine with the caravan. Now me and Alice don't drink anymore. So I said to this woman, would you like this bottle of wine?
Gav: You're tempting fate doing that.
Dan: She said, oh, I'd love it. Thank you so much.
Gav: That's the equivalent of sending a dick pic.
Dan: I said to her, we don't drink. She said, I know, Alice already told me, don't worry though, some of my best friends. No, she said, don't worry though, a lot of my best friends don't drink. And I thought, are you putting me in with your best friends? Are you labeling me within your circle of best friends?
Gav: No.
Dan: No, it's the way she said it. She said, don't worry, a lot of my best friends don't drink. And I thought, okay. Anyway, managed to get rid of them because they could see we were about to have dinner and go off to the kids' disco. Got to the disco there, they fucking are. And basically, everywhere we went for about three days in a row, they were there. I was in the laundry, folding up my pants, they walked in. They just kept appearing, she kept messaging me, let me up, let me up.
Gav: Did you lose a pair of your pants?
Dan: No, but when I took our laundry out of the tumble dryer, there was two or three items in there that weren't ours. And I looked at the sizes on them, they were children's clothing, and it was like five to six, her child's age. And I was thinking, what is going on here? Then she didn't message me for about two days, thankfully. And then we saw her again, she was like, I've been ill, so we haven't bothered doing much. And I said, okay, well, you know, we're just doing our own thing. And she came over to me and said, she came over to us at the disco, and I saw her do something to Jack's hand, and then she walked away, and Jack was clutching something in his hand, and I was like, Jack, what have you got? And he opened his hand up, and he had a little thing in his hand that looked like a pill. And I said to Alice, this is, that's the end of it. I knew there was something dodgy about her.
Gav: Couldn't it just be a sweet or something?
Dan: Well, I couldn't tell, because it was like a weird shape, and it was in his hand. So I went over to her, and as I went over to her angrily, I noticed she had a Pez dispenser on the table. And I said, did you give this to Jack? She said, yeah. I said, okay. I said, look, you need to ask a parent, really, as a parent, you need to ask another parent if you can give them a sweet. Don't just put things in their hands, because my son might be allergic to something. You know, I panicked when I saw this. It looks like a tablet.
Gav: She probably just didn't think, though.
Dan: She went, oh, okay. Well, sorry about that. I said, it's fine. It's fine. And then on the final day, I really gave her the hint, because we were having lunch on a balcony overlooking the sea. And I went inside to take Edith into the ladies. And then I came back out, and this woman was there again, sat on our table. And we were about to order our food. And she was really trying to drop hints to have lunch with us. And I said, sorry, Alison. You know, it's our last day here. We'd really just like to have a family lunch. I basically gave her the evil look, like, fuck off without saying it. She did. And I just deleted her number then, I thought. So we had a fantastic holiday, but we just had to avoid this woman and her crazy family. Also, the weird thing was she said she was with her husband. There was no one there. There was just her and her mom and her kid. There was no man there.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: We wouldn't have seen them. So that's my stalker from Holiday Story.
Gav: Fair enough.
Dan: No one died.
Gav: I had to deal with some annoying people. I was DJing the other night, actually. Just kept coming over to me. I think they got used to their lexer because they kept saying to me, skip. I said, fuck off. Fuck sake. So I would. At first I did because it was a big party of a marquee in the garden and people weren't really coming in. A few people come in and dance a bit and leave. It's very hard to like, because they're mingling and stuff. Anyway. So I'm doing that. And then at one point came up to me and it was like a skip. And I was like, no, those people over there are dancing. Look around.
Dan: You should have pulled out a skipping rope.
Gav: Well, no, she looked around and there's just a group of them all doing the Macarena because I was playing that. And her and her friend. So she went, oh, I told her friend. I said, yeah, other people enjoying it. It's not just you and I'm not Alexa.
Dan: I've got a friend who shall remain nameless, but you know her. And back when we used to have a lot of parties in our house, she was notorious for getting on to the laptop or whatever we were playing our music through. And she would play 20 seconds of a song, skip to the next one. Remember this one? She played 20 seconds. Then skip the next one. Remember this one, guys. It's like, just play a song though. Play a song. Don't just play 20 seconds of it. I remember the song, but I want to hear the whole fucking thing as well.
Gav: Yeah, I hate that. I can't stand it. It's like what my kids used to do. When I first got on the Lexa, I'd be like, I had to then put the mute button on it so they couldn't do it. Or just unplug it and be like, you totally ruined it. I was just listening to music, you know. Anyway.
Dan: Well, there we go. Have you been watching anything?
Gav: Yeah, I watched The Beekeeper of Jason Statham.
Dan: Jason Statham.
Gav: Did he kill people? Jason Statham. Excellent film.
Dan: Did he kill people with honey?
Gav: Now, without, I'm not going to get in spoiler territory. I'll try and dirt spoiler free. Excellent, excellent action movie. Kind of John Wick if Jason Statham's doing it, basically. And it's kind of revenge film for an old lady that he is renting some land off to honey bees. And she gets into a scam and loses millions. And so it happens and he goes, right, that's it, I'm Jason Statham. He goes after them, but he just kills everyone. Yeah. The police come along. The police aren't really, it's not their fault. They're just there because they're doing their policeman stuff or police woman, police person, police officer stuff, non gendered police stuff. And he just takes them all out. And I was like, whoa, they're FBI agents or whatever. It just keeps literally annihilating and killing everyone.
Dan: And I'm like, have they not seen a Jason Statham film? Don't fuck with him.
Gav: This is kind of different though. He's not really in it much, but he is. He's not a main piece for it. And it was excellent. Really good film. I highly recommend it.
Dan: I've heard that, I've heard critics, it's got ripped apart by critics, but film fans and everyone who's in Legion Podcast Network and all the other networks that we're associated with and podcasting and films, action, horror, everything, everybody seems to be loving it and talking about it. And I trust those people over fucking...
Gav: You can put all those films together. You put the first John Wick, the first Take and all those sort of films put them all together. They have fucking great entertaining films. You could put any of them on and go, this is going to have good fun. Not part twos and threes, just the original ones. There's such a great premise. It's so nice and fresh. Kind of, you know, and this is Jason Statham doing it, even though obviously a lot of his films are actually know him as that anyway. It wasn't like Liam Neeson with a transformation of his in his career, which a lot of the older actors do, which is always, which is always welcoming. Yeah, Denzel Washington does it amazing. I love those film, equalizer movies, but this is excellent. He's great and he's just really good.
Dan: There is something pure about a revenge film, isn't there? Because someone's been wronged.
Gav: You know what you're going in for.
Dan: And also, not only do we love a revenge film, but we love it when someone is, someone fucks with the wrong person and karma comes biting you on the ass.
Gav: It's very easy. Basically, you get the subjects, you get the character. In this case, it's a scam. Everybody understands scams. Everyone probably knows someone that's been scammed or yourself has, out of money, hopefully not lots. And it's an older lady, basically. So it's basically that. And she just thinks it happens. And he's just like, right, I'm going after scammers. And I asked a little spoiler. He just basically walks into, he finds out where one of the buildings is, just walks in there with two canisters of petrol. Just walks in there and says, everybody get out! That sort of thing, do you know what I mean? That sort of thing. And it's excellent. Highly recommend. Also, I had the best evening. I love film. I love movies so much. But when there's a movie which I know what I'm going to get and I'm well up for it, to the point where I'm like, I don't care if it's bad. This is what I want right now. It's a part of my youth. I fucking love it.
Dan: Oh, I hope you're going to say what I think you're going to say.
Gav: I went and got myself a kebab. I think it was a kebab. Did I get a kebab? I think I did. I got some takeout thing. I think it was a kebab. No, it wasn't. It was a KFC. I had a kebab recently. I've run every once in a while. Amazing that was it actually. I had a KFC. Watch Beverly Hills Cop. I knew you.
Dan: I was hoping. Right. Great.
Gav: Great. Come talk to me. This movie is fucking brilliant.
Dan: Did I tell you or did I tell you?
Gav: Basically, with films which you come out nowadays, the problem you get of them are they're really forced. There's a lot of force in it. It's either the characters are a bit forced in performances, or the story is too forced, or something about it which is just too much because they're trying to pull back that nostalgia and stuff.
Dan: Yeah. So you're not talking about just general films, you're talking about late sequels.
Gav: Particular films, yeah. But this is so good. And then I looked up and it's produced by Fimigigi again, Jerry...
Dan: Brockheimer.
Gav: Brockheimer again. And it's just he knows how to produce films. And like Mel Gibson, Eddie Murphy.
Dan: The other guy.
Gav: Eddie Murphy. They could do a lethal weapon rip off, couldn't they? Mel Gibson, Eddie Murphy. He just works so well. He just sits into his shoes with no problem, his shell toes. He just... It's just no force. It had me... I laughed at that a couple of times when he gets sprayed with pepper spray in his face. He's carrying on driving down in the golf buggy, the sort of police buggy, which is like a golf buggy. It's just funny. And I really like that because that's actually gave him... I've never seen Axel Foley do slapstick, and that's slapstick. And that was a really interesting choice. And actually, Eddie Murphy still knows how to put out some humor and just naturally did it. At the beginning of the scene, he goes into the football stadium to get the thieves. He just steps in and says, Hey, what's going on? And just goes...
Dan: It would have taken the right script to bring him back, I feel, and that was it. And like I said to you when I talked about it, and I'm really, really glad you feel the same as me, what I would say to anybody who hasn't seen it, and I said to you, you might still agree with this, it's not going to blow your doors off. It's not going to, you know, it's not going to, it's not a groundbreaking thriller action film. It just does what a Beryl Hills Cop film should do.
Gav: Like what it's going into. Like I said, the revenge films, you know what you're going for?
Dan: Some good car chases. There's a lot of funny Easter eggs.
Gav: The helicopter is actually, they actually had a helicopter do that. I've watched behind the scenes on YouTube. That's not, there's no CGI. That's a helicopter going down the road.
Dan: And all the little Stallone references. And it was just fun, man. Really good fun.
Gav: His daughter in it. I was just like, whoa, this actress is incredible. She is so good. And I watched some interviews. I went into a bit of a rabbit hole with this film, actually, and I watched some interviews of her. And she said she's just about to give up her acting career. She had decided that she didn't want to act anymore and get out of the business. And this script pulled her back in to go and do it. And her acting is brilliant because she's just literally like she's it kind of reminds me not that there is a massive, but a little bit kind of reminds me of British acting a little bit. It was very much just straight to the point in looking, you know, if that makes sense in a way, if it was like a divide, not the really is really, but a small one possibly. Yeah, Joseph really good.
Dan: Joseph Gordon of it was good. And as well, apparently he got on really well on set because they both are nerds for jazz, apparently.
Gav: Okay. The only thing I missed was he didn't do it. I don't reckon his voice doesn't.
Dan: I don't know. He's so I've read about this and I've watched interviews. He stopped doing that laugh about 20 years ago and he changed his laugh because he was conscious of it. So conscious of it. He wrote himself out of it. So it's a shame.
Gav: Yeah, because I've got it a little bit when I get going. And then when my friend Pete, you know, he lives above the funeral home, he's got a... And I've been out with him in a pub and I've started laughing and he laughs at me and I'm just laughing at him. And to the point when people look around and go, the fuck is that? Is there like a seal in here or something? What's going on? Anyway, it's a great movie. I highly recommend if you're a fan of Better Me Hills, Cop movies. Absolutely. It beats number three, you know.
Dan: Oh, for sure. For sure.
Gav: I loved it and I had the best evening alone with a film and a KFC.
Dan: Yeah, I had a great time with it as well.
Gav: I really did enjoy it. What, have you watched anything?
Dan: Yes, only two things to mention, really. I settled down for a two and a half hour documentary the other night, all about hammer horror. It's called Flesh and Blood, The Hammer Heritage of Horror. Originally came out in 1994. It was released over two nights on British television, but it's compiled together. You can rent it on Prime for just £2.50, or you can buy it for about five or six quid. But it's narrated by Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Basically, what they do is, it's done just how I like it. They talk about Hammer and how it started and the studios. Then they look at the Dracula movies and they break down every single Dracula movie, and what went on behind the scenes and the scripts and stuff. Then they do all the Frankensteins, then they do all the mummies, then they do the werewolf movie, or they do the Gorgon or Plague Of The Zombies, and they'll touch on all the other ones. Then they start talking about how Hammer tried to go into thrillers and police stuff. Then they came back to horror, but by then, Terry Fisher and the other guys weren't really involved, so they got more about boobs. It's just really interesting to see that broken down, because I've read so many books on Hammer, and I have watched the old documentary, but this was a really complete, I feel, and I guess having Chris Lee and Peter Cushing narrate it as well, really just really good interviews with all the actresses, the Playboy models that were in it.
Gav: Is it a standard definition?
Dan: Yes, it is. It's SD, yeah. But worth a watch for £2.50, honestly, if you want an evening of just, because it's cozy as well, do you know what I mean with Hammer? I watched the last hour of it in bed, actually, and I was feeling really cozy watching it. They just got Peter, and then of course, Christopher and I went on to the set, and you're just like, oh, I love this. This is fantastic. Really good. All the casts are being interviewed, all the directors from over the years, and it's just really good. I highly recommend. That's called Flesh and Blood, A Hammer Heritage of Horror.
Gav: That's pretty good. I thought we were recording last Thursday. We weren't. I had it mucked up, so I had a night spare, so I messaged my eldest, Charlie, said, do you want to go to cinema? They said, yeah, cool. I said, there's two horror movies out. Because originally, they said to me, can we go to cinema and watch Quiet Place, whatever, part one?
Dan: Yeah, the prequel.
Gav: And I was like, I'm not really a massive fan, but I thought the first one might be good. You just have some bit of talking in it before it goes quiet, you know. But I said the other film out, which is called Long Legs.
Dan: Yes, everyone is raving about Long Legs. Please tell me you saw Long Legs.
Gav: Yes, I did. At first, I was like, this is right out of my film. It was a detective.
Dan: Nick Cage did it, right?
Gav: Yeah. He's got a lot of prosthetics and he's not in it very much. But he is the person they're after. That's not a spoiler either. It's just basically an FBI agent, a lady who's fairly new, kind of your Clary Starlin. That's where everyone's putting it against, you see, with her boss as such and just investigating. It kind of just, yeah, X-Files where you'd have them both go out in the car, on the field, go do investigations. At first, I was like, yeah, it's good because Oz Perkins, obviously famously Anthony Perkins' son, your old psycho Norman Bates. And I really enjoyed recently rewatching Gretel and Hansel. I thought that's a great movie. And I know the dude loves triangles. I love triangles myself. Got a triangle coming out in the film soon. And this had a few, this had upside down triangles and whatnot, stuff like that. That's what I'd always want to do if I made a UFO movie, I'd have it as a spaceship, as an upside down triangle. And it's a really at first quite good film, I felt. It's really I was getting into it. So this is right up my street. Then it just kind of kept going like that and just kind of kept going like that for a little bit longer. And it's been like, oh, it's OK. But I'm starting to like start to struggle. I was very surprised. The cinema for a random evening we went along was pretty much packed. Very, very surprised. So it must be word of mouth. Absolutely. Because a lot of the people there are kind of the youth now. I'm a bit like, you can't judge a book by its cover, obviously, but you don't look like someone that would watch Oz Perkins' movie with lots of triangles and hearts. Do you know what I mean? It just didn't seem like it, but I guess it's the hype. But I did wonder how they were dealing with it because it is real slow. And I love a slow movie, don't get me wrong, but this is real slow. And then the payoff is, and there's a bit of a twist or whatever, but it's kind of obvious. It's not really that like, oh, great. And then the ending comes and it's all right. That's kind of how you leave it, it's all right. I won't watch it again. Unless you say we're doing it for the podcast. I won't bother, because I've seen it. It's really slow. At first, I was really enjoying the slowness of it with the agent, with the investigation, but it just kept going. And then when there's like a twist, it's like, well, that was obvious. So I think I gave it maybe six out of 10.
Dan: Not bad, above average then, but... Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Gav: It's not a bad movie. It's very well made.
Dan: I've heard it's very well shot.
Gav: Acted well, score, performance. Nicolas Cage is doing Nicolas Cage on Nicolas Cage takes. So he's in the car, so I'm going, well, I'm here and I'm gonna stay, or whatever, you know, stuffed out there stuff with a big gray wig and prosthetics all over his face. He's doing all this shit, but he's not in a huge amount, really. It just cuts him like you're doing the killer in Science and Lambs. But if you're into that sort of thing, you might like it. It's just quite slow. Don't expect a fast film. That's why I wondered how general audience members dealt with it. But a film like this coming out and being taken a lot of people in, is actually good for the horror community.
Dan: Horror is having a big year.
Gav: Well, if we have films like this, which it starts off in the square ratio and it's all quite grime, not grind housey, but in a sort of real aesthetic to it, which is, you'd notice, and kind of more art house horror, but not really. Just tipping on it possibly, just a little sprinkle. And so having that come out and make a lot of money means producers go, okay, here's some money. Can you make this movie or can we make this? And we hopefully get more films like this because for the horror community and stuff, it's pretty decent for that. I think for the general audience, this is a horror film, I think it does does the job as well because it's got, I guess, slow thriller, horror slow thriller.
Dan: Before I talk about my last film and while we talk about new horror, there's two trailers which I watched last week, I think it was last week, for two new films, which are horror tinged, which I'm very excited for. Alien Romulus. Have you seen the trailer for that?
Gav: Something else, take a look at that. I think I did a little bit of it, but I tend to not want to watch trailers too much. I didn't watch trailers for Long Legs. I like to just go into the films.
Dan: That's fair. I mean, you kind of know what you're getting with an alien movie in some ways. Alien Romulus, the trailer for that, makes it look like you're just watching an alien film. But I mean, I genuinely mean like Alien 1 or 2. It's set, I think, between alien and aliens. And obviously, and it's directed by Fede Alvarez, Evil Dead, et cetera. A very British cast in it. The trailer is really bloody. There's an, you know, an R-rate, a red band trailer with loads of blood. There's, apparently there's a scene in it with a facehugger, which has never been done before. And people are, people on set were like, you know, heaving at the effects because they tried to do a lot of in-camera effects with it. It just, from the trailer, all you see is there's a lot of facehuggers. You do see a couple of xenomorphs, but I would highly recommend, it doesn't give much away. It just gives you the hype, which a trailer should do. There's a brand new trailer. So the newest trailer is about a week old now. Check it out for anyone who hasn't already seen it. And it comes out later this year, Alien Romulus. And it just looks like it's going to be really, really fucking good. It looks like it's going to be scary. Because let's be frank, Alien I and II are very scary, like the first time you've seen them. And they can still make you jump a bit, even the multiple views we've had of them. But this looks great, Alien Romulus. So that was one of the ones I wanted to mention.
Gav: Okay. Yeah, I look forward to checking it out, actually, at the cinema. I do love the Alien movies.
Dan: It'll be great in the cinema.
Gav: I did actually kind of watch half of Prometheus again recently. I was inspired because actually on Audible, I listened to Alien Out Of Shadows, which is Audible original. Have you heard that?
Dan: I've not, no. But I've heard of it, but I've not listened to it.
Gav: I actually finished my subscription, because I ironically wasn't really listening to stuff, but I managed to listen to those after I subscribed. So it must have been some mental thing I was having. Anyway, if you've got an Audible subscription, I'd say recommend checking out. They've got a person that sounds like Scorny Weaver, and basically it's a spaceship and they find Scorny Weaver. And Ash is played by Rutger Howe.
Dan: Oh, nice.
Gav: And through it, he's basically telling you, because it's an audio book, he's explaining what he's doing. At the moment, I'm going to get Ridley to go that way. I think that's the best way. Her mental state is changing, but I can change from things to make her feel better. Basically, we need to get a life form, and it's like an alien and stuff. And the way it's done is really good, actually. Except, I don't know if you got the memo about playing a robot when he says his... There's one letter he says, maybe it's his P's. It's just the way he says it, it's just like, what? Pit-door, it almost goes like foreign or something. It's really weird, but anyway, you have to check that out. But it's really good. And then there's a sequel to that, which actually has bits from the fat one and bits from the movie in it, has played actually like Ren Ripley talks in one of the first Alien movie to the council about what happened. They've taken that bit and they've put it into like the audio book and stuff. So it's quite good. And the second one is called Sea Of Sorrows. And it kind of does the same sort of thing again, a little bit. But I recommend that first one, Out Of Shadows. It's the person sounds quite like Sigourney Weaver as well. And you know what you're getting? It's kind of like, it's kind of if in a different universe of Alien, maybe, if they then find Sigourney Weaver again, and it's a different crew, a different group of people.
Dan: Well, Ridley Scott has overseen Romulus, and he's executive producer on it, and he's very happy with it. So, you know, to have him on board with an Alien movie as well, it's kind of like almost, you know, the dream, really. So that's one of the ones I wanted to mention. The other one is the trailer. This summer, I think it is. I think it might even be September. It's definitely very soon in the next month or two. The other one that's coming out, and I know you're not a huge fan of the original, but obviously it is a massive cult film. That's Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice. The trailer for that looks great because it's all practical effects and stop motion again, because it's Tim Burton going back to his roots, just like the first one.
Gav: Yeah, I don't know what it is for Tim Burton films. I do like Sleepy Hollow, but same with his style. I appreciate his style. I think it's incredible and it's amazing. I think it looks really good. Just doesn't appeal to me. I don't know why. Beetlejuice, I watched it once. I was like, whatever. I don't know why, but I do really appreciate it. I think it looks incredible. What they do with the characters, like the little shrunken head characters and stuff. It looks so good.
Dan: There's loads of characters from the first one that are in it.
Gav: I'm going to go back and watch the original again and give it another go. Because you came around my house once and we sat and watched it, and I was a bit like, yeah.
Dan: Well, we'll be covering it at some point because we have a Tim Burton special coming up. But that's a long way off, but we're covering that. And I think Sleepy Hollow. But yeah, Beedlejuice looks great. We're knowing a rider in it. It looks fantastic. It's got Catherine O'Hara in it as well. Is that her name? Who plays the mum? You know, Kevin's mum from Home Alone as well. And obviously Michael Keaton is back. Absolutely having a blast. And I think similarly to Eddie Murphy, one of his favorite characters he's ever played is Beedlejuice because it's just a balls to the wall, do whatever I want, demon.
Gav: I'm hoping more films will start doing this with the older character actors.
Dan: Because sometimes it doesn't work, like you said. Billin's Head, that third Billin's Head movie was so bad. And, you know, I really wanted to love it, but it felt like they were forcing themselves back into this. And that Matrix 4 movie had some good ideas, but it felt like Keanu was forcing himself. You know, so I feel like the character has got to be there and they've got to love that character.
Gav: Enjoying themselves, yeah. Not like compared to Beverly Hills Got Free, which is famously terrible. Like John Landis wasn't talking to Eddie Murphy, essentially. They fell out because Eddie Murphy wouldn't support him from the accident happened. And rightly so, you know, because of this, it's still like, come on, it's like that shouldn't have happened. Essentially, that just shouldn't have happened. It just shouldn't have happened. Somebody should have stopped it and he didn't support him and they fell out. So then they made Beverly Hills Got Free. That is just like just not like they didn't like each other. And they're making a film. They didn't want no one wanted to be there.
Dan: Just money and it's terrible.
Gav: Yeah, no one wanted to be there.
Dan: Well, talking of money, the last one I wanted to talk about because it's breaking a lot of records at the moment. And I know you're not a comic book fan too much, but Deadpool and Wolverine. I went to see it the day before it came out, officially in the UK. There's an independent cinema in my city. I had the day off. I saw they were doing a 10 a.m. showing and I wanted to get in there before the spoilers came out online. And I went to see it and I had an absolute blast with it, as you would expect.
Gav: It's got a long film, isn't it?
Dan: Two hours.
Gav: Oh, okay. I thought it was like mad long or something.
Dan: No, no, two hours and eight minutes. Okay. But it, for anyone who hasn't seen it, I'm obviously not going to spoil it because it's brand new. And it is a film that can be spoiled because there are obviously lots of cameos in it. It's linked in to all the other Marvel movies. But what I would say is when you're going into it, your excitement levels, you won't be ready for your excitement levels if you're a big Marvel fan because not only does it reference everything Marvel's done on the screen.
Gav: The cameos, haven't you?
Dan: Yeah, but it doesn't just reference everything that's happened over the last 10, 15 years. It also goes deeper than that. It goes back to other Marvel films from back in the 90s. Even they talk about some of the movies that way before then, they took about some really deep comic book references. There's some really funny stuff in it. There's some jokes in it, which are very... There's one joke in it, which isn't a spoiler, if I tell you this, but obviously Hugh Jackman broke up with his wife and they got divorced about 10 months ago. They were shooting this movie when that happened. There's a scene in it where Hugh Jackman's in his Wolverine outfit.
Gav: Is he going to regret this in a few years?
Dan: Deadpool says he won't be taking his shirt off. He let himself go after the divorce. You're like, whoa. When they were shooting that, it was probably only a month or two into his divorce.
Gav: I bet it's a good way of dealing with it, but one day it would be like, oh, not five years' time.
Dan: Ultimately, what I would say about Deadpool's Wolverine is, yes, you know there's going to be some cameos in it. You've heard rumors of cameos. You will not, you will see cameos you have never dreamed you would ever see in this movie. And it is, for me, probably, I've only seen it once, obviously, so I'm still buzzing off of it, but at the moment it sits comfortably in probably my top five Marvel films of all time, and it's got the excitement levels of like Endgame and stuff like that. I mean, the first time you see it, you know, if I go back, I'll probably find a couple of bits I didn't like so much, and I will go back, of course, to watch it, but I'm excited to talk to people about it. No one I know has really seen it yet, so I can't really geek out with anybody about it yet, but if anybody wants to have a chat with me on Facebook Messenger who's seen it, please do, because I'd love to discuss all the cameos and the silly little Easter eggs and stuff that are in it, because it's just packed full of them, but also in a really clever way, clever, you know, some movies have got cameos in it just for the sake of it. This actually has, a lot of the cameos are characters who stay in the movie, you don't expect that. And the story is really clever. I'm actually, I got a bit teary in one of the scenes because it really pulls at your heartstrings at one point, because the Deadpool films are often just about him wanting to be liked, wanting to be loved. And obviously, but also he's just a silly misfit who can't stop talking and says the wrong thing all the time. So it's just great. Obviously, you know, I loved it. Deadpool, Wolverine, brilliant stuff.
Gav: As a passing Marvel fan, because I'm not a deep, deep Marvel fan, it's a shame for me as a passing fan. I think the first Avengers movie is fantastic. I really liked the first Iron Man. A lot of the sort. I like original stories. You know what I mean? When it starts going in the sequels, it just doesn't do it for me so much. I think my brain just can't handle the tree of stuff going on. It gets quite a big. But what I really like though would be, because I know this film, I will watch it. I've got Disney, so I can watch it.
Dan: Trouble is... Tell you something now, you're going to like this.
Gav: Okay, I hope I do because I want, as a passing fan, I don't want to get into a thing where I'm like, I don't know what that means.
Dan: No, no, no, there's all this comic book reference.
Gav: I just want to watch those two playing off each other on a story.
Dan: And then there'll be a load of stuff in it that you'll get a lot of the references, I promise you. Okay. It's jam packed full of two different types of Easter eggs. There's Easter eggs for people that have seen a dozen or so Marvel films like you. And then there's Easter eggs for people that have read the comics, like me, in the 80s. And I don't claim to know everything there is, but obviously I do a lot of research and I read about stuff and I follow a lot of YouTubers and stuff. So I kind of like to watch breakdowns of movies and the Easter eggs. So I get that stuff. But sometimes I have to learn it. It's new to me a lot of it. So it's got two levels to it.
Gav: But it's also, sorry. I like the actual characters, the people, not sorry, the characters, the actors themselves. They're both actors where a woman probably would like to have sex with him. A gay man would probably like to have sex with both of those guys. And a man would like to go down to the pub with those guys. Or I would like to go bowling with that one. Do you know what I mean? They're very versatile actors. And to see them together is what I like. I don't really know Wolverine so much. I only saw a Wolverine movie maybe once. I don't know. At Deadpool, I've seen the first one once. I haven't seen the second one. And it was kind of funny. But I like Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman. Do you know what I mean?
Dan: Well, it's also, and I'll go on record as saying this, it's one of the bloodiest films I've seen ever. Good. I was very shocked, actually. And yes, it's CGI blood a lot of the times. But there's a couple of scenes in it where I was like wincing, cause obviously Wolverine's got claws and Deadpool can regenerate. And you were just like, wow. Yeah, it's great.
Gav: I didn't know he could regenerate, I've forgotten. Cool, I'll watch it when it comes on Disney.
Dan: You'll like it, I promise you, you'll like it.
Gav: I'll sit and watch it, yeah.
Dan: To you, I would say, in prep for it, you don't need any.
Gav: Good, I don't want to. I don't want to work. I've told you before, when I go to cinema, I don't want to.
Dan: Some people are like, oh, I watched Deadpool 1 and 2 leading up to it, and that's fine.
Gav: And apparently, they really do take the piss out of themselves. The studio.
Dan: Oh, yeah, they talk about Disney.
Gav: And how bad things have got.
Dan: Yeah, they, yeah. There's, you know. Welcome to, you said, welcome, Wolverine. This is the MCU. You joined at a particularly low point. You know, they're talking about all this stuff.
Gav: I enjoy that because I, as a Parsons Marvel fan, want to be a Marvel fan. It's just too much.
Dan: Yeah. Well, there's too much for someone who hasn't jumped on board.
Gav: Too much of going, we know what the audience wants, rather than the audience going, this is what we want.
Dan: And they've just announced.
Gav: And it's not just Marvel. It's a lot of Hollywood.
Dan: They've just announced Robert Downey Jr. is coming back as Doctor Doom.
Gav: Is he stuck for acting roles?
Dan: Absolutely not. He just won an Oscar for Oppenheimer.
Gav: That's fair enough, I suppose.
Dan: But he loves Marvel and he loves doing that work.
Gav: A friend did mess me recently again, because he'd moved back to LA. And he said that he's struggling for work, because there's just nothing happening.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: He said it's bad out here.
Dan: Tell him to win an Oscar. That's what you've got to do apparently. Yeah. Last thing before I take us into the trailer for Poltergeist II. And that last thing is, you overheard me talking to Alice about this. I looked out the window the other day, me and Alice were having a pretty weird conversation. And then I said, what the fuck is going on? She said, what? Look out the window. There's a Jurassic Park Jeep parked outside my house. It's actual, the jeeps from the first movie. And I said to her, am I dreaming?
Gav: Did you go get a picture?
Dan: No, because it drove, I went outside, it drove off. But then I saw it this morning on the way to nursery, taking the kids to nursery. So I know where they live, not to be a stalker. They live literally on the end of my road. So tomorrow I will try and get a picture of it. And I'm sure a lot of people will. It's like a red and yellow. So it's not green and red, it's red and yellow, but it looks just like the Jurassic Park jeeps and it's all done out. So I don't know what it's doing here, but I'm gonna get a picture of it.
Gav: Do.
Dan: That was it. Well, listen, we've chatted enough. I'm being attacked by a moth. As you can see, I'm swatting it away. God damn it. Gavin, are you ready to go into a trailer for Carol Anne, Poltergeist II?
Gav: Yeah, I'm looking forward to talking about these movies. I was slightly, spoiler free, but I was slightly a bit disappointed with the result from reviewing both films. Even though I'm a big fan of the second one. Strangely, reviewing it, not so much.
Dan: Not so much.
Gav: So we will see what that's all about. Come with us into the wall or the TV or wherever, which hole we're going to be in. Dan, what hole are we in?
Dan: Coming to my hole.
Gav: They are being pulled into Dan's hole. Poltergeist II, from 1986. The Freelin family have a new house, but their troubles with supernatural forces don't seem to be over. Short and snappy. That's not the synopsis, I'm just saying the synopsis is short and snappy. This is, on the casual viewer, just wanting to watch a horror movie with his feet up, this is a fantastic sequel. As a reviewer, watching it, I found bits like, oh, oh, here and there. As I can't remember what they are, but I do know it was slightly, so we go through it. But as a general viewer, there's some great fantastic parts in it, especially like the sort of lead antagonist as such, our creepy old fella, Kane, Reverend Kane, who just because of his look is from the cancer he had at the time, and passed away after this film was made. Him and Carol Anne are both in the third movie, but being played by doubles because they had both passed, which is kind of crazy. And that's why we get the moniker of these films as like a, what are they, Cursed?
Dan: Poltergeist Cursed, yeah.
Gav: Yeah, film. But that's how I see this film. It is a good sequel. And I remember as a kid, it was over Christmas. I don't know why they had them on like BBC Two or whatever. It was like 10 o'clock at night, on like literally between Christmas and New Year. And I just know school, and I was allowed to stay up late, and my parents having parties downstairs, and I was allowed to just watch these horror movies. And I fucking loved them. I taped them all on to VHS. And that's my fond memory of watching all these three films. The third one I couldn't really remember at all. But anyway, what do you think of part two? Just your quick like, you know.
Dan: Yeah, well, I mean, the first one is, you know, a film called Smoothie. So to make a sequel that, like you say, you know, if you're just putting your feet up to watch a film, this is a damn good sequel, considering the first film is such a gold dust film. And they do a good job of continuing that family vibe, because the thing about the Poltergeist movie, the first one is, they feel like a real family. And when this stuff starts happening to them, you really feel for them. And they do a good job in this one of that as well. They then, they do a good job in this one as well of extending the story out slightly. They have to go back to the site of it. They deal with the repercussions of a house disappeared, people saw it. So they do discuss all of that kind of stuff, but they do add a few bits and bobs in. It's just a shame about some of the, I don't know, I feel a bit bad that Dominique Dunn was never mentioned in this, who played their daughter, Dana, because obviously she was murdered at the end of, before this film was made.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: She was murdered by her boyfriend. Obviously, there's a lot. We've talked about the curse before. Even the guy that plays Taylor, the Native American.
Gav: He passed after the second.
Dan: He passed as well. Zelda Rubinstein passed as well. This stuff going on.
Gav: Obviously, Heather being the most famous being the lead and a young child passing as well. And as the director of the third one, I know we're not on the third one yet, but it's just saying now. If I was the director of the third one and my lead as a little girl passed, I would just, I don't know. I guess it's one of those things when you're so far from the movie and money's put into it, it becomes into a business. But at some point you'd be like, I'm cursed and I just don't want to do this movie and we need to stop this film. Because the product is so many bad points to the third one, which is just like, you probably shouldn't have just done this, just not bothered, because there's so many people didn't want to come back for it, et cetera, et cetera. But anyway, we're talking about the second one. It's a strange one. There's a lot of death surrounding these films.
Dan: Well, the last thing I'll say before we get into it, is when I was younger, I think I'd watched the first one and my dad was telling me, oh, me and your mom watched Poltergeist II the other night. I said, oh, was it good? He said, it was very scary, Daniel. There's a scene in it and he really vividly described the tequila worm scene. And that really gave, just my dad telling me that scene gave me nightmares.
Gav: Your mind, was it as bad when you finally watched it?
Dan: So no, so it wasn't because I built it up so much.
Gav: Yeah, of course, and mine's amazing for that.
Dan: I guess it was two, three years later, we rented it out.
Gav: Very quickly, that's where Jaws works, you see. Yeah.
Dan: It was still, you know, it's still pretty amazing because they used a guy who only had one arm to play that creature, a guy who had had his arms blown off in an accident or something. So they had a guy, you know, with prosthetics all over him with one arm dragging himself under the bed. So it's still pretty intense and great. But the way that I built it up in my mind over the couple of years since my dad had told me that story, it's just like, fucking hell, this must be terrible. It's not really that scary movie either, this one. But just a good story.
Gav: It's about family again. It's like you may have been diesel in there. It's family guys, it's about family.
Dan: Talking of which, for some reason, my daughter Edith is really, they're learning about family at the moment. She answers a lot of questions with the word family. I said to my wife the other day, is she been fucking diesel? What is going on here?
Gav: Or is she in a cult?
Dan: Oh, God. I said something like, do you like watching TV with us all? And she just went, family.
Gav: Do you know what she likes watching? Yeah, it's family because she enjoys family. She is being diesel though. You move AI and the fact that when we're old folk, Dan, we can just sit there and go, ah, Dan, let's now watch John Rambo and John Wick doing a double John. I like, do you know what I mean? Directed by John Singleton. And we can get the movie one. Basically, I want Charlie Manson and Vin Diesel doing a family TV sitcom.
Dan: Oh, God.
Gav: Called The Family.
Dan: Family.
Gav: Vin Diesel and old Charlie.
Dan: That sounds fantastic.
Gav: It does, doesn't it? Well, I don't know what's going to happen. Maybe it's a Cheech and Chong type thing. I don't know.
Dan: Vin Diesel getting high.
Gav: Let's just throw Cheech and Chong in there as well.
Dan: Well, Vin Diesel. No, not Vin Diesel. So this movie brings back all the cast that are alive, throws in Will Sampson.
Gav: Apart from my sister.
Dan: Apart from my sister, as I said, who are alive. Brings in Taylor.
Gav: I'm surprised they didn't use it. If it had been the director of the third one, they'd just got a double for the whole time for the film, the back of them.
Dan: But he was forced into that. And we will get to that. He was forced into that by the studio and the producers. And it was only one scene.
Gav: And they couldn't shoot a lot of the third script. That's why it's a bit disjointed.
Dan: Yeah. And it was only one scene. He was doubled in as well. So it's not too bad. It's kind of like what they did with Brandon Lee, really. They only needed to replace him in two scenes. But yeah, this movie also throws in a Native American played by Will Sampson, who everyone will have known from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. And in fact, they talk about someone escaping from an asylum at one point in this. Maybe a little nod to that. So it throws in a real pure good character in the form of Taylor, who has a link to the Native Americans that had their tombs desecrated, but also throws in a pure evil character in the form of fucking Reverend Cain, which everybody remembers.
Gav: God is in his holy temple.
Dan: As a really frightening figure, a bit like the tall man from The Phantasm in some ways, where he just shows up very smartly dressed and, Hi, let me in your house. You know, it's like, oh, get away from me. And as you said, sadly, the reason he looks so scary is because his stomach was full of cancer. And he died not long after this. So his face was very, very sort of gaunt. But yeah, so it throws in a very extreme good character, very extreme bad character on top of the stuff this family's already gone through. They're trying to like come to terms with this crazy shit that they've been through from the first movie. No one's really gonna believe you. If you, you know, we see that we're getting ahead of ourselves. We will get into the story in a minute. When he's sort of talking about, how am I going to tell the insurance people that the house vanished into a portal, you know, and stuff like that? He's trying to get people to believe him, but they're also trying to come to terms with it, in Carol Anne's, they're like little kids, you know.
Gav: Oh, it is a weird thing to happen. It's a, the Julian Beck thing, like, in a way, you're like, if you wanted a character, you know, you obviously get someone like Christian Bell with the machinist, didn't eat, do you know what I mean? A certain look. This guy had cancer, was going to die. Like, his look is more horrific, and that's not saying anything, it's just because he's obviously not eating, because it was probably, it probably hurt to eat, or just didn't want to eat, or the medication, or the chemo, or whatever, I don't know, even if it was chemo, I don't know, do you know what I mean? But because of his condition, being that look, it makes it more, I don't want to say horrific, because that sounds like I'm dising cancer patients, but I'm not, but do you know what I'm saying? It's more, that look is like, wow, if it had just, I would have just been normal.
Dan: Yeah, and I think-
Gav: It brings more to the character, and to everything else, it's almost like more, that whole character is more rounded in a way.
Dan: It brings more to the film. You know, as much as the third film is quite weak, there is something to be said for the legacy of Heather O'Rourke and all the characters, all the people who passed away. Yeah, yeah, yeah. And this curse, a bit like whenever I watched The Crow, which is, you know, a fantastic film, but there is a sadness to it, which is linked in to the plot, but also it linked in to the fact that Brandon, he died making it. So it adds an extra layer to the movie.
Gav: That's why that sort of gave that film very much a legacy. And, you know, you can't stop it and stop it. So go to watch Long Legs. What trailer pops up? Crow, and I was just like, and I'm not like a huge massive fan of the first one, the original, sorry, but I do think it's a good film. I remember it, and it is the greatest dark stuff in it, the rain, the skateboard in the rain, at night time with a little kid. There's just loads of stuff in it. Oh, it's really cool. It's almost comic book-y, but with a real dark edge. It's really good. And then what happens, and it's Brandon Lee, Bruce Lee's son, you know? And so there's a lot of pedigree in a way, and then he passed away in it. So it's like, you can't break that ball. Do you know what I mean?
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: And and this this trade is just like, just don't call it a crow.
Dan: I know.
Gav: Just call it like fucking something else, because it could be a movie. You just slightly change it. But they're trying to obviously take that name already. But it's like, but why bother? Because nobody wants to see it, because the first one is pretty good. Originally, it's not to take the original way. It's always going to be there. Anyway, that's just quickly going on the crow. Sorry about that.
Dan: Yeah, no, but it's important to talk about how things can happen externally in the real world. Much like when we reviewed Twilight Zone, the movie, you know, that real incident that happened has affected that film and does lend a certain dirty feeling to watching the Twilight Zone movie because of what happened in one of the scenes, you know? So I don't know. I think it's important to address that. But this film is surprisingly fun and light hearted, much like the first one was in some ways a bit Spielbergian. Not so much as the first one, this one, but still feels a bit Spielbergian. Should we jump in?
Gav: Indeed. Well, well, one thing very quickly, just touch on that.
Dan: Oh, don't touch on me, said the Vicar.
Gav: Having the score composed by, for fuck's sake, I was about to say John Barry. Not John Barry, is it? Quickly tell me who it is. I should know. Jerry Goldsmith, of course. Jerry Goldsmith classic. Because you got Jerry Goldsmith back with a score, it does give it straight away, and obviously the characters being ready are, straight away, you're back exactly where you left off if you're a fan of the first film. Come the third one, the composer who did some stuff for like Child's Play and some other films, Richard O.K.'s stuff, does an appalling score on Poltergeist III. It's terrible, and it does actually, unfortunately, make the third one feel like a slight oddity, slightly as well. But that's as John obviously Spielberg uses Goldsmith at the time.
Dan: What is good as well about the sequel, this one, is that part two, is that Craig T. Nelson, Jo Beth Williams, still feel like they've got that great dynamic. There's something about the Poltergeist family where they feel so real, in the first one especially, you've got the parents smoking weed on their bed. In this movie, they're having baths with their children. All the stuff that we do with our kids and our families.
Gav: And the first one obviously, Spielberg, Toby Hooper and just like the road, ET being shot. So you've got, if you're a lover of ET or just remember that fondly as a kid or whatever, and like the look of the house and stuff, if you remember that as the first one. The second one obviously is in a different house, but I think with the music and still that sort of layout, kind of, it kind of throws you back to all these sort of things. So it's good. Obviously the third one is in High Rise, which we will discuss when we get there.
Dan: Well, we will kick this one off then. So we start off really with Taylor, who is a Native American shaman, and he's meeting up with an elder. We're sort of like, well, what's going on here? So what's happening is he's linked in, his tribe are linked in with the Native Americans that were buried under the swimming pool from the first movie. So, you know, this is all still...
Gav: Dark, isn't it?
Dan: It is still prevalent and basically...
Gav: Oh God, it's horrible. When you actually watch it as a review, I hadn't really watched it before, or really clearly what's happening, going back to Charlie Manson or drinking the Kool-Aid, even if that wasn't Kool-Aid. Yeah, tell us about this, Dan, what it was.
Dan: Yeah, so essentially, well, from the first movie, they just moved all the headstones to build the new houses. And that's what we thought it was.
Gav: We thought it was just a graveyard, and that's where people go to rest, you know.
Dan: But it's an ancient Indian burial ground, and as we know from films like Pet Sematary, you don't fuck with those sort of things.
Gav: So, but this is, oh, yeah, go on, so you can say what it is, though, more, though.
Dan: Oh, go on, what were you going to say?
Gav: This was basically Cain taking all of his disciples down there, getting them to block themselves from the world with a massive rock, putting over the hole where they were, to say to them, the world's going to end, we're all going to go down here to end our lives, because it's all going to end. So we're going to drink this potion, we're going to take this thing, and we're all going to just die. And what happens is, before, on the day of it happening, death doesn't come, the world doesn't end, and he won't let them out, and then I think he does that to them, I might be wrong, or they just die.
Dan: He keeps them all locked up until they all die.
Gav: Yeah, and his children and families, and it's where it comes down to, I guess he'd be overpowered, unless he had some big cronies there to stop them. But then again, they're going to die as well, so it seems weird. But yeah, and it's dark as fuck. He's a cult leader, didn't we? What the fuck?
Dan: So the tribal elder says to Taylor, essentially, there's a great evil that we need to be aware of, which we've, as you've just described, that's revealed later on, which we think, what is this evil? But actually, the evil is actually Kane and his cult that are trying to get into the light.
Gav: And that means the first movie, it wasn't just the people who are buried, they were just pushed up by the evil, which is below them.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: Fuck me.
Dan: But because Taylor's people were buried, he gets given almost gifted like a power, doesn't he? He gets like a magical spirit breathed into him, which he will use later on, almost like he's now ready to go and fight this evil. And then he just goes on a mission to go and meet the Freeling family and defend them, so he's driving along and we get flashbacks to the first film. He goes to the place where the house was from the first movie and obviously it's just an empty plot because the house has been sold at the end of the first movie, he's just vanished into nothing. The street is now completely deserted because no one wants to live around there. There's only a few derelict houses around there and it's basically like ripped the neighborhood apart, what's happened really. And then he bumps into the one and only Tangina. Good old Tangina. And she knows Taylor, she says, we found it. And they're digging up the old swimming pool. She says, we found the entrance to the graveyard. And Taylor's like, oh, good, good. So they all climb down the ladder.
Gav: I do like early on when we first see this guy, because we open up and just him sitting on the mountains and there's some smoke going up from the fire. This is a Native American friend that's doing some of his, some of his crazy stuff. It's quite Indiana Jones, I feel.
Dan: Yeah, I suppose it is, yeah, Spielberg.
Gav: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Just the smoke and the fire and out the landscape where it was.
Dan: Yeah. But there, they all had down underground and we're thinking, oh, they're going to go into, you know, this ancient aerial Indian burial ground or something. But like you said, just now, it's actually loads of skeletons, including canes and all these skeletons were real, by the way, just like the first movie, because skeletons in movies are usually real skeletons.
Gav: I didn't know that for this one, actually.
Dan: Yeah, some real ones in this one as well. And the cane skeleton still has some hair on it. And she basically, to fill all the listeners in or anyone who hasn't seen the movie, okay, they're still after Caroline. And the reason being is Caroline was born in that house. So she's kind of like a pure, because she was born in that house.
Gav: So they think they can use her body as a vessel for evil.
Dan: They think that because she's got powers, psychic powers.
Gav: Oh, she does have psychic powers, so maybe that's why.
Dan: So she can, because she can, she hears them, they can trick her into leading them into the light, because they're fed up. They've been in limbo for years.
Gav: Are we saying the dead, basically Kane as a dead, evil ghost was down there and all of a sudden one day he's like, oh, she's pregnant, we're a psychic kid. I can tell.
Dan: Probably.
Gav: Because we've got like the dark sidekick we could pick up on that shit.
Dan: Her mum was psychic and her grandma was psychic, if you remember as well. We'll find out in this one as well.
Gav: So we're saying Kane was behind the chairs moving and doing all that stuff first or the first one.
Dan: You could say that, yeah.
Gav: He must be.
Dan: Because he was trying to attract a child's attention with tricks.
Gav: Yeah, yeah, yeah. To get her to... He was in doing that to go, how can I make it like fun and playful? Grooming them.
Dan: Which is quite clever that this movie does change the way you view the first movie.
Gav: You could definitely now go back and go, he's grooming them.
Dan: Yeah. Wow. Well, she says the last thing she says before we cut scene is Zelda says...
Gav: Very quickly, that's what cult leaders do.
Dan: They do.
Gav: So that actually works really well. I bet they never actually fought this much with this, but that's what cult leaders do. They groom people.
Dan: Well, Zelda realizes that there's a greater evil here than just a bunch of very angry Native Americans who've had their graves moved. She says to Taylor, where is the family now? And we cut to the Freelings and they're having...
Gav: I didn't know until I said the synopsis that they were caught the Freelings.
Dan: The Freelings and they're having dinner in the garden. Their grandma's there, which is Diane's mother. And we find out she's got psychic powers because she kind of... She suspects her granddaughter, Carol Anne, has powers. And she says to her, can you pass me a piece of yellow wall from the ball? Can you pass me a piece of red ball? And Carol Anne's not even looking. She's just grabbing the right color without looking. So her grandma knows she's got...
Gav: Well, I know, because the daughter, Jobef, has as well.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: Oh, no, but she...
Gav: No, that's her actual name. Sorry, Diane.
Dan: Diane, but Diane is in denial of it, really. She doesn't really want to admit that she's got that.
Gav: For whatever reason, maybe because mum's not cool.
Dan: But then grandma's alone with Carol Anne, and Carol Anne is doing some automatic writing. Is that what they call it? Automatic writing, where you just start. But she's drawing Cain, which we don't know who he is yet, but she's drawing this demonic face with a hat on. Who's that?
Gav: I don't know.
Dan: Grandma, and she's scribbling away. She's very good at playing a very spooky little girl, isn't she, Heather? Oh, bless her. There is a scene that really breaks my heart. I know grandma says, you know.
Gav: Wait, wait, the scene that breaks your heart is that the fact that they don't have a TV anymore and it's just a radio.
Dan: No, no, no. You're going to regret saying that, because it's genuine. There's a bit where Heather O'Rourke, so her grandma says to her, you know, when you grow up, you might lose these powers. You know, you really need to practice them because your mother denies that she's got these powers. And Heather O'Rourke sort of looks up and says, I don't really know if I ever want to grow up. I just thought, oh my God, she didn't. And it really like cut me deep when she said that because she obviously died at the age of 12. I thought, oh, wow, that line means something different now. That's why it's hard to go back and watch these films, particularly the third one. You know, knowing what we know, you know, it just adds to the spookiness. Like we said earlier, the outside world, I can add to the spookiness of these things. But anyway, grandma has these powers. She tells Caroline all about intuition. It's a gift, blah, blah, blah. Your mother. So she's trying to really get, she's helping out with a family who are now broke because Craig T.
Gav: He's selling hoovers door to door. That's old school. That's just like, I'm going to go sell knives door to door.
Dan: Yeah. He's doing everything he can for money.
Gav: George Clooney started off as a shoe salesman walking door to door. He said, whatever you say about acting, that was a hard job. Acting is not a hard job.
Dan: Well, he's very stressed because he's got insurance companies asking to prove where this vortex is.
Gav: There's only so many things you can say. When they say act of God or something like that, an insurance company is saying, we can't give you no money. And what do they say here? This act of Satan.
Dan: Yeah, they still have a real family connection at this point. Him and his wife and the kids. Loving your new lamp, Calv, by the way.
Gav: Yeah, it's broken, but it looks all right in the background.
Dan: You've got some nice colors flashing on behind you there.
Gav: It definitely shouldn't rattle like it does.
Dan: Well, Carol Ann starts to have visions of this Cain character, and we get the music come in, and he's walking along singing in his visions, and he says this a lot throughout the movie.
Gav: God is in his holy temple.
Dan: Whatever it is he says, it's absolutely terrifying, and then he starts to chase her. He tries to sing to her.
Gav: Is this a shopping center? Yeah. It's all too scary in this day and age of Peter Falls, that's for sure.
Dan: Well, apart from the fact he walks through walls and through people.
Gav: That generally doesn't happen. I don't think pedos can do that.
Dan: They might be able to. You don't know what their powers are.
Gav: Pedo power.
Dan: Jesus Christ.
Gav: I summon pedo power. That is a really bad Fizz character.
Dan: He-Man does not have the pedo power. But yes, mum and grandma find Caroline with this old man.
Gav: He-Man is in a loincloth around young children quite a lot.
Dan: He's not around any young children. He is a young child.
Gav: Oh, okay.
Dan: He's Prince Adam. Yeah.
Gav: I remember.
Dan: Don't you ever.
Gav: I'm sorry.
Dan: Keep my He-Man's name out of your motherfucking mouth.
Gav: Don't bitch slap me, please.
Dan: I will get out on that stage, Chris Rock, and I will slap you for dissing He-Man.
Gav: Don't slap me.
Dan: So yeah, they find Heather, because she goes missing briefly at the shopping center. She's been lured away and chased off by this Kane character. But then they see Kane and he's like, I found your daughter.
Gav: Thanks, mate.
Dan: Thank you. That's very kind of you. And then that's the kind of the end of that. Then grandma talks to Diane and she says, you know, Caroline has the same gift that me and you have.
Gav: Just thinking about Caroline, you know what it's like when a kid, I hope you don't have it, but you know the situation. Daisy wasn't even scared that time we lost her in a festival, which was fucking crazy.
Dan: That was horrible.
Gav: That's horrible for the parent.
Dan: Well, I was looking at you guys. It was horrible.
Gav: Oh, no. It's when the dawning comes on you, that she's further than we thought. That's the scary part, but you found her. Anyway, that's another story for another day. She would go missing quite a lot, actually, but sometimes I would find her or Elijah or something in a supermode, and they had gone missing a little bit just for a moment, and then, oh, kind of rise out sort of thing. And it's like, it's all right, I was just here. You know, it's not a problem. That must be scary. But imagine being that scared and seeing this creepy guy come towards you, which is scaring you, but then he walks through someone. This is like laser scared, I'm never getting past.
Dan: The trauma is for life. But then he comes right up to you, and he knows your name, he goes, hey, Carol Anne, I've been looking for you.
Gav: And people walking through, beautiful, came up to me when I was a kid lost in a supermarket. People were like, what the fuck are you on about? And I go, honestly, on the playground, honestly, it's what happened. I'm fucked for life. Absolutely fucked. I go and watch Invincible Man, I'm fucked, I'm fucked. No ghost movies, nothing.
Dan: Brilliant. Well, grandma talks to Diane and says, Carol Anne has the gift that we've got as well. And she says, Diane, you really need to try and remember what you saw when you were in the portal that you've told me about. So Diane tries to remember, because obviously she went in the cupboard, into the light in the first movie. She tries to remember, she says, it was cold, I could feel the light, it felt cold, but it also felt like I was needed to be there. So basically, she's talking about going to the other side and being dead. But obviously she rescued Carol Anne as we know. So she doesn't want to think about it anymore, she gets a bit stressed. So that's kind of the end of that really. And we get this fantastic, one of the best scenes in the movie, quite early on this next scene, it's the middle of the night.
Gav: Yeah, it's a lot of heart in the film.
Dan: And we've heard this story in real life from a lot of, people talk about this a lot, that they've had a phone call from a relative who's just passed or they get a message from them or something, really, it is a lot of heart, you're right. So to set the scene, Caroline wakes up, it's the middle of the night, for no reason at all, she gets up, she goes wandering around the house, everyone's sort of in their beds or asleep. She goes into grandma, who we assume is asleep, and she kisses her for no reason. Very sweet, you know, what little girl doesn't want to go and kiss their grandma? Then she goes back to bed, then her toy telephone starts ringing. Well, that's never a good thing for Caroline, is it? She picks up the phone, and we don't hear the voice on the other end, we just hear her say, hello. Yes, yes, grandma, I love you too, of course I'll be a good girl. Night night, grandma, love you. Cut to the Freedings crying in the kitchen in the morning, Robbie and Carol Ann walking in, what's going on? Grandma passed away in the night. What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuck? Really good scene, love that. And yeah, the only sort of link, the good sort of person who was helping Carol Ann with her powers is now dead. But also Carol Ann has now opened up potentially the spirit world again, because her grandma called her on the phone.
Gav: What was it?
Dan: Her grandma?
Gav: We don't know yet. No, it was, the second time she's duped.
Dan: She is duped by the robot.
Gav: You're getting a mum now. So it's a really good scene, what you're saying. It is really like, oh, fuck it. Oh, that's quite, quite an emotive type scene. Next, we get the mum at the Rosebush, and she's thinking about when she's young. And it's a really beautiful music plays.
Dan: Yeah. And again, this really got me this scene, because she's, you know, the simplest thing. She's just doing cutting some roses, and then she thinks of her mum and gets really upset about it. Because, you know, she's lost her mum. You know, she's sad, she's upset.
Gav: And the wind goes, and she feels like it's a feeling of her mum. Yes. And this film, you know, at the core, is about unity and family and love.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: Which the third one, obviously, again, I feel like the third one should just be a different film entirely, not called Poltergeist almost, because again, it's just like this, it's different characters. You don't get the same feeling, because you followed the journey for this family from the first one. You know what? They've gone from the traumas. So we're back again, going, oh no, it's not going to happen again. You start to feel for them.
Dan: Yeah, you love these guys. Yeah, so she's feeling sad, like you said, and there's some weird clouds above the house at night, and Diane has this vision that she's attacked by zombies.
Gav: Fucking this scene. I was just like, zombies look so good. Yeah, the hands and all zombies. I want to watch this zombie movie. Can I please watch this zombie movie with these zombies? I just want to see zombies' hands coming out of graves, pulling people down. It's old school and it hasn't been done for so long. It needs to be done.
Dan: Well, it's like a Ghostbusters, Corny Weaver chair sort of movie.
Gav: Yeah, we need to have more of those zombie films.
Dan: And actually, funny enough, again, the third one does have some good zombie hands pulling people into puddles and stuff.
Gav: Yeah, they're going for it again. Yeah, it's great, great practical stuff, which we'll talk about in the third one, but when we get there.
Dan: So yeah, but the zombies pulling Diane Underground rule a dream, it's her almost having a vision of there is a powerful evil that's trying to pull this family apart or whatever you want to say. So she needs to beware of her depression or something pulling her down. And it's nighttime and Robbie and Caroline sharing a bedroom, they're asleep and it's raining outside. Some raindrops come down through the window. And they drop onto the toy telephone, which does a great little sort of sound design here. And then it just makes it turn into a ring, ring, ring.
Gav: Yeah, I do like when sound design has really been thought about pre-script. Do you know what I mean? Or in script pre-production.
Dan: Well, she assumes it's her grandma on the phone again. So she picks up the phone. Grandma, where are you? She's been dipped. And the doll moves, it's her little robot toy.
Gav: So it's basically Kane, isn't it?
Dan: Yeah. And they're all sort of, it's grandma, it's me, grandma. And then you realize it's not grandma because all the voices change.
Gav: See, this is where this film, I say to you, if you just want a horror movie, put your feet up and not think about it. This has got some great stuff. Going back to the first one, the use of toys being used in the clown, just different stuff, robots and things like that. When they're flying around the room, all that sort of stuff, ride the thing and ride the horsey and all that sort of shit. This is great because we have the angel, the robot comes in and just says, we want the angel. It's just walking around. It's like, this is so good for the music score. It's just what you want again.
Dan: Yeah. Obviously, Robbie wakes up and him and Caroline are terrified because there's all this magical spirit energy flying around the room. The parents then wake up and they do that. Oh my God, it's happening again.
Gav: This is a shame because all of this, what we're talking about, is great, but the ending, not to get up there already, but the end of the movie is so lackluster and finishes so abruptly, it doesn't have what, at the moment, we're setting up. It doesn't keep that high, that ramp going upwards. We're not on it. At some point, we do stop and we go flat and then we kind of go down a little bit, I feel.
Dan: Well, the house starts shaking, lots of strange noises.
Gav: It's great right now.
Dan: Parents are running around, because they can't find the kids. And then we get, Caroline, drop the line, because they're hiding. But yeah, Caroline, drop the line.
Gav: They're back. It's everything you want as a fan of the first film.
Dan: Yeah, the house is cracking, banging. And just as they're about to run out, they open the door.
Gav: Taylor.
Dan: There's Taylor stood there, big Native American man, hello. And his dad's just like, who the hell are you? We're trying to escape our house, which is trying to eat us. He's essentially like, I don't care who you are. And he's like, I'm here to help. And he's like, I don't care who you are. And he says, Tangina sent me. It's no use running. They know where you, they'll always find you. And they just leave him alone. They just all drive off and they go to a diner in their pajamas, all four of them, the family. They go to a diner and all night diner, as you would do, to regroup, and they order some food and they sort of sit in around, what should we do? I don't know.
Gav: Don't worry, you can't just keep driving around, can you? I think it's really, you always feel for them in the first time as well, when they're just like, they lose all their shit, they lose their house, and they're just in their car, and they've just, like, how hard that would be. Just as the stress levels as a father, or as a parent in general, but I know as the father drives around, the stress levels internally, going round in your head, going, what the fuck are we gonna do?
Dan: Well, Taylor was right about them always finding them, because while they're in the diner talking about it, a strange woman suddenly becomes possessed and comes over and talks to Diane, but as her mother says, Diane, you gotta understand, and she sort of talks to her a bit, and she really knows that it's her mother that's talking to her. She says, be brave, stay together as a family.
Gav: This is really good, because as they walk into the diner, sometimes you get extras who are almost like, I do like a film. This is because it's setting up these characters to come do this, this woman will walk over and do this, but I do like a film when you have like a, almost like another thing going on, and you're like, what the hell is that about? And it just carries on. I love that in films. It's good to do that.
Dan: Like in T-Wolf, where someone gets a knob out in the background.
Gav: Oh, I don't mean that. I mean, like actually in the film. So this starts out when the people at the diner counter are having almost like a sort of argument or just a negative conversation, whatever. And we hear some of that for a little bit, and it's a bit more than you would in passing. As they walk in and they walk to the table, we sit down. But that's because we set up this character and this lady comes along, walks past, and she just turns and goes, ah! She's like possessed, and just starts doing the voice of-
Dan: Granny.
Gav: Of the grand, Diane's mum. And when she comes to, she says, I don't know what you're talking about, lady! Or whatever, and just walks off.
Dan: So they all leave, obviously, and Taylor is waiting outside for them. Here he is again, and he says, look.
Gav: Oh, fuck off, you gun. Who are you?
Dan: He says, I'm here to help. Look, we've got to go back to the house. And they're like, really? He's like, I promise you, Tangina sent me.
Gav: If this dude's turned out, literally as you're about to leave, and he says he knows about Tangina, and this shit's just happened again, you could be like, come with us, dude. You're come with us. Do your thing, do your thing.
Dan: I trust this guy for sure. He says, so he goes back to the house, and he says to them, right, you're safe for now. I can't sense anything at the moment, but we've got a journey ahead of us here. So he pretty much moves in, really. A little bit, to begin with, Steve freeing in is a little bit like-
Gav: Hustles his car later on as well.
Dan: He does, he hustles his car. Right up until the last scene, actually drives off and leaves them. So he hasn't quite moved in yet, but he's sort of hanging out a lot and they catch him in the garden doing like a ritual dance.
Gav: It does say your car is sick and it needs, it needs my love sort of thing. I better work on it while I'm here. Okay then.
Dan: And this is quite fun because when he's doing his rain dance ritual in the garden.
Gav: Little tent in the garden, doesn't he?
Dan: And when he's doing his little dance in the garden, this is where Steve Frieden says, I heard there was an escapee from a mental asylum. And obviously that's a little reference to one for The Cuckoo's Nest where Will Sampson who plays Taylor was in there as the Juicy Fruit Chief, you know, with Jack Nicholson and Danny DeVito. You know what you call him. And then we get a beautiful moment where butterflies surround him. And I really just thought that was a lovely, really nice shot, really, where they realize he is spiritual because look at all the hundreds of butterflies that are just flying around him. And they all realize at the same time, okay, we've got to trust this guy. Look at him. Like there is something magical almost about this guy. It could be cheesy in some ways, but it's done really well, I think, with all the butterflies around him. I don't know. Maybe it's just me.
Gav: But the mom gets a bit pissed off the next day because she finds Robin with raw paint on his face.
Dan: She's painting him up.
Gav: But the thing was though, she goes really fucking off on it. She's really pissed off and it's so weird. It's like, why? Who cares? It's like, what? And then she says some dialogue about respecting children the same as adults and all sorts of things. It's really weird to be in here. I don't know why it's here.
Dan: She says-
Gav: I'm not sure why we have a scene. We don't need it.
Dan: She says, we don't need this kind of behavior. You know, there are only children. This is where he says to her, your children are stronger than you know. I guess that's maybe one of the reasons to have that scene.
Gav: Yes.
Dan: I think it's pretty funny that Robbie, because obviously as a kid in the 80s, if a Native American moved in and said, do you want some more paint on? I'll show you how to shoot some arrows.
Gav: Fuck yeah.
Dan: Hell yeah. Come on, show me. Let's go hunting or something. You know, it'd be cool. Not condoning hunting, but yeah, it'd be cool, man. Obviously, Robbie is just a kid and he's just like, this is cool. I get to have my face painted.
Gav: At the same time, it's nothing that bad, is it?
Dan: It's not that bad. Not really.
Gav: Like there's other things to be worried, she should be worried about right now.
Dan: Which is takes us on to the next scene because Kane shows up singing his song.
Gav: God is in his holy temple.
Dan: And it starts raining.
Gav: Oh, see these are the standout scenes as a kid watching this movie being like just watching this guy come along the road and the camera point of view of Caroline up on the garden playing and him coming along and it's from her perspective pouring rain and he's just looking slowly walking.
Dan: Smiling the whole way.
Gav: Just funny enough very quickly, I did see it as a YouTube video. I didn't watch it, but they've done, I was doing some research for the movies and they've done someone put Joe Biden's face with his in that thing and I didn't watch it though. So I think he's doing it like anyway, and he slowly comes along and carries on just turns left, then steps onto the driveway and starts walking up and it's pouring rain. So they run out to get Caroline because Robbie runs in because he sees the thing but he runs in because he sees the guy. They come out to get Caroline, come on Caroline, and it's pouring rain, not just because it's pouring rain, but then they look up and the rain is like another element. That's why we have rain and thunder in horror movies. It's another element of this deep, deep hard rain. It takes-
Dan: It's following him, isn't it? It's coming with him.
Gav: Yeah, totally.
Dan: Up the driveway.
Gav: It's hard to see visually, clearly. It's like just another thing. Rain is a problem. It can be an issue, heavy rain. So it just makes it another little layer. With his singing, the way he looks, the way he's walking, approaching, he's getting closer and closer. And looking at it again, it's still like, this is great. Like the score is great. This is this is brilliant.
Dan: You know, and Diane says, do I know you from some, what do you want? And he says, I get around.
Gav: I like to talk to people.
Dan: Maybe he says, I get around. I like to talk to people. And they the dog seems scared of him. Carol Ann seems scared of him. And he says, I'm Reverend Kane. And then when he says reverend, they think, well, if he's a church guy, he must be OK, I guess.
Gav: Oh, yeah, absolutely.
Dan: Yeah. And he says, I believe you have a problem here. And Steve says, what do you mean a problem?
Gav: And he tells the family to go inside and he says, well, thanks God, they managed to get Carol Ann. And they put her up actually to the doorway. He comes right up to the door. And the dad, obviously, Steve, Craig T. Nelson, stand in there. And he, yeah, as you say, tries to tell her, basically, Taylor's dangerous. He's trying to, you know, change their mind on him.
Dan: Yeah. He says, you've got a problem in your house, Taylor. He's a con artist. And he really tries to get into the head. And he does get into Craig T. Nelson's head a little bit. And much more so later on. And he says, and then he reads, he almost reads Steve's mind. He says to him, and I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, you're not strong enough to hold this family together through everything you've been through. And you're right. You're right. You're not strong enough. And he's really reading, reading into his mind. Then he says, you need to let me in. And then he snaps out of it, Steve. He snaps out of it. And he says, no, just go away.
Gav: He's just trying to do a Ben Kenobi on him, isn't he?
Dan: And then he says, you're gonna die in there, with a big smile on his face. And then he walks off, singing again, for fuck's sake. And then the rain, as he walks away, the rain just stops.
Gav: What's the score now? Is it like, well, it's not though. Is it a bit like vampires then? They can't really get into the house because they have to make this sort of portal then, but Carol Anne or whatever goes into their realm, their dimension. They can't actually get into the house.
Dan: I think Carol Anne has to...
Gav: They're just trying to get her anyway, so all you want to do is to get her into that dimension. That's it. That's it, isn't it? Basically.
Dan: Well, she can lead them into the light, and that's what they want her to do by her own sort of, without being forced into it. She's got to want to lead them into the light. They're trying to trick her into that.
Gav: I agree.
Dan: They're trying all the tricks they can. Now, the latest trick is, tell Steve that Taylor is a con artist, and play on his insecurities as the dad, try to hold this together.
Gav: He's totally mesmerized, and he almost succumbs to it.
Dan: Eventually, though, like I say, he says, go away.
Gav: When he walks away, it's a very simple trick, this is. Anyone could do this, really. Get a static camera, static means when the camera doesn't move, get on your tripod, and you just film the shot of an empty shot of the same location. Then you walk in, just go back, and then you walk along the said shot exactly with the camera without touching it, and then you overlap the two shots on top of each other, and then you just do a dissolve, a slow dissolve on the top layer, which is where our character Kane walks along and vanishes.
Dan: Just vanishes nicely.
Gav: It's really simple, but very effective.
Dan: As we're all spooked out by that, Taylor just appears over Steve's shoulder and says something very cryptic. He just goes, that was him. Come, we must prepare. Then you're like, what the fuck? Who was who? What's going on? This man has just told me we're all going to die and then vanished in the rain. But tell me more, Taylor. So there we go. Nighttime comes and Steve is drinking tequila. He's trying to get drunk. Tequila is going to come back and buy me the house later.
Gav: Tequila is my lady. What's that quote from?
Dan: What is that from? I know it. Why don't I?
Gav: Cabin in the woods.
Dan: Oh, yeah. There we go. So Steve and Taylor have a really long conversation in the garden and he says, I know you think you've had bad luck your whole life, but you are stronger than you know. So he's there really good cheerleader for him.
Gav: Steve's getting fucking pissed.
Dan: Yeah. He's like, no, man, like my family's falling apart. There's dangerous demons and spirits. I don't know what's going on.
Gav: Danger demons. I want to watch that movie.
Dan: Danger demons.
Gav: Danger demons coming soon.
Dan: Inside the house, the kids are preparing for bed. We do see a quick glimpse. Robbie is thinking about having a shave, by the looks of it, and then he looks away and he sees a zombie in the mirror.
Gav: He has no idea when to pick times to do things.
Dan: You don't have a shave then, when you're just banging on the bathroom door.
Gav: Well, they say dinner's ready already. He's like, yeah, I'm just coming. I'm just going to start shaving now. I don't know what I'm doing.
Dan: Well, this is another trick that was used in the first one almost. Somebody looking in a mirror and something terrible happening to them.
Gav: Before that, he gets a hand on his shoulder and it's a zombie hand.
Dan: Oh, yeah, skeleton hand.
Gav: And it's actually Kara, Kara, Kara.
Dan: And then he puts his retainer in or his braces, retainer for the US.
Gav: This is like always remembered as a kid, this shot.
Dan: Yep, totally. Because this scene reminds me of Superman 3, where the robot lady gets the metal shoved on her. Yeah, so his retainer, his braces basically engulf him. They all kind of shoot out and become this giant cocoon of metal that drags him up the wall. It's very sort of Cronenberg almost.
Gav: He's on the ceiling.
Dan: Yeah, and his family will come in and they see him being dragged up the wall. There's metal absolutely everywhere. And then one of the bits of metal tries to plug itself into the electricity socket, doesn't it?
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: And luckily, dad comes in and manages to sort of pull him away from it. And yeah, it's, it's not great, but it's pretty good effect, I suppose.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: It's not a bad effect, is it?
Gav: No, it's great effect. To be honest, effects wise, all three films are fairly solid. Like the third one, they did a lot, they thought very hard about it, and they did a lot of things for reflection stuff, and it's really simple stuff, but it's actually really good.
Dan: Yeah. Well, Dad saves the day. Taylor reveals more. He says it's a ghost. And you hear Kane's voice talking, and he says, the voice says, You can't keep her.
Gav: We will get her.
Dan: And he's like...
Gav: It's Donald Sutherland's. Donald Pleasance is in this.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: He says, Michael, we want Caroline. We need her. Fucking mush up, man.
Dan: That would be great if that was a mash up, wouldn't it? Imagine Donald Pleasance knocking on the door instead of...
Gav: Halloween versus Poltergeist.
Dan: Instead of Taylor, he's like, they're trying to get out of the house. And they're like, who are you?
Gav: And he's like, you can't leave. You can't go.
Dan: They're like, well, we're going to a diner in the middle of the night.
Gav: I'll come with you. I can't wait to be... Again, old men in our rocking chairs with AI with Donald Pleasance plonking him in every movie we can think of.
Dan: Well, they all sleep in the liver room and Taylor tells them, basically Kane's soul is in limbo along with his cult. They refuse to enter the light. They want Carol Anne and her gift.
Gav: They hate the fact that your strength is your love, baby.
Dan: Your family love.
Gav: It's a love glove.
Dan: So we've got a bit more of a backstory here. We basically know that Kane and his cult are absolute evil. So he says to Steve, listen, you're going to have to come with me, mate. We're going to have to go to the mountains. Let's go for a drive. Yeah.
Gav: Let's do it. Road trip.
Dan: So they go for a drive. Diane has someone knock on the door while they're doing that. Who's this? Can't see any of this funny scene, actually. No one there. Look for the people. Knock, knock. Looks again. Still no one there.
Gav: That's sadistic humor.
Dan: She looks down. It's tiny little Tangina, isn't it? Because she's so small.
Gav: That's a nice move.
Dan: It's quite funny.
Gav: It's a nice tip, definitely.
Dan: Zelda Rubinstein is a very small lady.
Gav: She must have been like, yeah, definitely do that.
Dan: Yeah, because she seems up for a bit of a laugh. She's a fun character. I've seen her in interviews. So yeah, that was quite cool. So she's there and she explains their old house was basically, not only was there a load of Native American people dead, but also there was a weird tomb under your swimming pool as well.
Gav: Oh, a cult leader just fucking took out a lot of people.
Dan: From the 1800s.
Gav: Families, actually. Like, you're a family, aren't you?
Dan: Is this where we get the flashback night where she basically, you see that story of him saying, no, you can't leave. And they're like, but death didn't come. And the kids are like, we haven't eaten in weeks. And he's like, you're staying here. And they all starve to death and die. Yeah, horrible. Very horrible.
Gav: So, yeah, and she says to me, you know about him because you've been to a dimension.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: So it's kind of like, you're going to remember when you get there, or when you see him go, oh, do I? Oh, okay.
Dan: Meanwhile, Steve and Taylor are getting stoned. They're out in the mountains smoking a peace pipe, performing a ritual. They see some sort of demons and spirits in the smoke.
Gav: Passing the bong.
Dan: Yeah, but passing the duchy to the left-hand side. And then Steve does a great big hit on the peace pipe, and a big spirit enters his body, which I think we've probably all been there. And Taylor says, ah, the entity has revealed itself to you.
Gav: That's what I said that time as well.
Dan: Oh, he revealed himself to me. After a couple of bong hits. Cut back to Tangina, showing Diane some really old photos from the 1800s. She says, tell me if you know any of these people.
Gav: How am I going to know that? Just you will know you've been to the dimension.
Dan: She shows that. And one of them is Kane.
Gav: It's like we're doing a police line up, but for dimensional line up from the other world. Oh, OK.
Dan: Well, she says, I know that man. He was at the shopping mall. I thought he was a pedo that could walk through walls.
Gav: I thought he was just that crazy, like up there, like the high powered, extreme superhero pedo, the one that could just walk through people, super pedo.
Dan: And Tangeena is like, nah, that's Kane, the leader of the cult I was telling you about. And she says, listen, you're a clairvoyant, just like Carol Ann. Come on. So it's great that they push a bit on Diane. So you try and use her powers as well, because it's normally just the kid, but it's nice that it's kind of passed on. It almost feels a bit steam kingy, doesn't it? You know, having like this clairvoyancy passed on through the females in the family.
Gav: Yeah, and especially having the whole family dynamic and a lot of the film focusing on that.
Dan: So when they were in the portal in the house, so here's a little backstory here. When they were in the first movie, when Diane went in to get Carol Ann, that's where Kane, because they were in limbo, they saw her and Carol Ann. They were like, great, we can use her, because they're both clairvoyant, we can use Carol Ann especially, to get us out of this limbo, because we don't want to beer anymore. So they found her in there and she calls him, she says, he is the beast. So we know him as the beast. And later on, Taylor and Steve get home. After that.
Gav: Dad's just getting pissed still.
Dan: Yeah, they have dinner. Kids are a bit scared. Robbie's got a helmet on with a baseball bat. Of course, great. I would, if there was evil spirits. And Steve decides, now is a good time to get drunk. Real drunk.
Gav: Yeah, the doll's head moves, doesn't it?
Dan: It does. Well, and that's because, so that's because the evil spirits have Cain, when he had that chat with him during the rain outside, he did get a little bit.
Gav: Cain in the rain.
Dan: Cain in the rain. Insane in the membrane.
Gav: They played last night in London.
Dan: Did they?
Gav: With the Philharmonic Orchestra.
Dan: They did, yeah, I actually did see that.
Gav: I could have sorted it out and got tickets, I just didn't bother.
Dan: I went to see the 25th anniversary tour, celebration of Black Sunday with my good friend David in Brixton Academy. Yeah, about four or five years ago, that was real good.
Gav: I was in London on Sunday. Real good.
Dan: That was the best gig we've ever been to. We both agreed. We were chatting about it on the anniversary of the day.
Gav: Yeah, I bet. I'd love to see it in Augsor. I hope they release it as an album.
Dan: We, Simpsons predicted that as well, didn't they?
Gav: Well, they just did it. I don't know if it's predicted, they just happened to just make it as a gag.
Dan: We didn't have any weed with us at the time when we went to watch them. Although, my friend David likes to partake. We certainly did together when we were younger. We were sort of, so shame we haven't got any. Oh well, don't worry about it. Let's not take any in with us just in case. We got in there, we drank a load of rums. Didn't eat any because 90 set of people in there were smoking. Even though there's no smoking in there. Be real, basically, told everybody, don't care what security tells you to do, get your joints out. This is a Cypress Hill concert, so everybody was getting stoned. It was fantastic.
Gav: Yeah, I used to be in Brixton and it would be just people smoking weed.
Dan: It was great stuff. But back to Steve. So what I was explaining there was Steve has a battle inside him. The reason that Taylor put this spirit, this entity in him just now is because he recognized, this is my opinion, that Cain has got into his brain a little bit by and put a little bit of a demonic spin on things because he does get a bit rapey in a minute with his wife and he's not acting himself at all. And it's because Cain's still, right, he doesn't feel he's strong enough to hold his family together. So let's make him tear his family apart. And that's how I'm going to get to Carol Ann. But also Taylor thankfully has put this good spirit in him. So the battle inside of him is happening. And that's why when he throws up this creature in a minute, that's him throwing up the demon. That's my take on it anyway. Maybe I'm wrong. That's how I see it. But let's talk about this scene then. So this is the scene that my dad told me about. The tequila worm scene. Everybody's heard of it. Everybody, you know, it's the big scene in the movie really.
Gav: I've got a fresh bottle of tequila because I don't drink with a worm in it in my cupboard right now. See, only alcohol in my house. A fresh bottle of tequila with a worm in it.
Dan: I've only ever drank tequila with a worm in it once. And that was at your birthday, I don't know, 10 years ago, seven years ago. Do you remember we were passing it around in the kitchen?
Gav: That's probably why I've got this bottle here. It's probably from the same time. That was back from Mexico.
Dan: Your buddy with a Mexican wife.
Gav: Yash, who had the worm?
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: Who had the worm?
Dan: I don't think we got that far into it.
Gav: I don't think we got that far down.
Dan: We were all pretty drunk to start with.
Gav: Yes.
Dan: I wanted the worm, because I was thinking about it. I remember even saying to you, this is like Poltergeist Ii, Gav.
Gav: You were like, yeah.
Dan: But funny movies to drink, isn't it? So, yes, the doll wakes up.
Gav: Hair washing in the bath going on, and he just turns into a different person. He turns into what you imagine a horrible drunk is like.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: Really like, I don't give a fuck, come here, I want you now. Regardless of the kids or anything to Diane, it just turns into a bit of a creep.
Dan: And outside the house, we see these spirits starting to approach the house. And this is the cult they're coming in, you know, for the kill. He drinks the bottle.
Gav: It's a shame though, that the ghosts of the cult, they didn't, they weren't evil. Why are they now evil? Because they were killed by Cain and so on. Because they wanted to leave.
Dan: They all want Carol Anne to get out of Limbo because they're all caught in Limbo. They want to get to the other side.
Gav: So they want Carol Anne to be able to let them come to planet Earth.
Dan: Well, no, they want to get to heaven.
Gav: Oh, they're stuck. Oh, so they're going to be a bit evil to get into heaven. So they're basically being cruel to be kind to themselves.
Dan: I guess. But also Cain is like leading them as well still.
Gav: Yeah, he's got that Ben Kenobi, Obi-Wan Kenobi thing going on.
Dan: So he starts acting like Cain and starts speaking a bit like Cain. And he does a pretty good impression of him, actually, at times. Craig T. Nelson. He gets a bit rapey with Diane and a bit, he pins her down on the ground. And she's like, this isn't you. Why are you doing this? And he drinks the whole bottle of tequila, including the worm.
Gav: He drinks that first, then goes and does all this stuff. Yeah.
Dan: And he says to Diane...
Gav: And there's a real emphasis, the camera zooms in on the tequila being swallowed.
Dan: You get a little close up of the tequila worm's face, like...
Gav: Yeah, and it's a bit, oh, what's happening here? You know it's not good, because they zoomed in on it.
Dan: It's a bit of a Ren and Stimpy moment, almost. You know when you have those extreme close ups on Ren and Stimpy if something really disgusting? It's a bit like that, because the little worm looks at the camera like, Stimpy, run. So he pins down his wife and kind of gets rapey with her, but then says to her, you didn't want Carolanne.
Gav: She blames his booze, or she doesn't think he's got a demon caterpillar in him, or worm. Caterpillar, fuck you know. I saved caterpillar yesterday. It was at a skate park and it was boiling hot, right? It's a good story.
Dan: Freeze as I never expect to be recording. I saved a caterpillar yesterday.
Gav: It's really boiling hot. And all of a sudden I'm at a skate park and it's just like, I'm crawling, I'm going towards it, and it's going towards the skate park. I was like, yeah, not finding any piece here whatsoever. So I put my finger down and it went up on its like hind back, half it all went up to almost go, oh, thank God.
Dan: Either that or I was like, oh, fucking take, you know, mate.
Gav: Come on. And I got my finger was like, oh, yeah, where are we going? It's really fast. I said, all right, hold up. Then I dropped on to ground. It did a little circle because it's scared. It's in defense mode. And I left it. Then I came back in a bit and it had gone.
Dan: So you're a good guy.
Gav: Yeah. So I saved catapult. I was like, where are you going, buddy? So, yeah.
Dan: Amazing. Yeah.
Gav: Got to do our bit for the world, you see.
Dan: So while he's pinning down his wife, he tells her, you never wanted Caroline. You blame her for all of this. I know you really wanted an abortion. You didn't want to have her. And Caroline overhears all of this. So he is starting to break the family up. He's put a cracks in the family dynamic now because Caroline's overheard all this. He's upset his wife. He tries. He says, she says, I love you. I love you. She realizes it's not him. She says, I love you. I love you, Steve. This isn't you. And he kind of snaps out of it really, although he's got a bit of a cane face on him.
Gav: I'm just going to shut my door because there's an Airbnb guest. I just turned up. You keep recording.
Dan: Okay. Fantastic. Who's it going to be, guys? Gav can't hear me right now. Who's it going to be? Is it going to be a psycho? Is it going to be my friend from the holiday? He's back now. So he snaps out of it when she tells him, I love you. He vomits up this huge creature. Great scene. Then crawls under the bed. Terrifying.
Gav: That thing looks so good.
Dan: It's really cool. HR Geiger, isn't it?
Gav: He was disappointed with the results of what was from his designs, but I thought that looked really good.
Dan: Well, when it crawls out from under the bed, when it smiles at them and it's got Cain's face, they've done a really good job of getting Julian Beck's features on this creature.
Gav: When he pukes out just a big sack thing which turns into it, so horrible.
Dan: Like I said, they used somebody who only had one limb, a real actor who's only got one limb.
Gav: Next scene cuts along, there's basically this feather on the floor pulling itself along, it's kind of like a fish that's rotted in the sea, a monster which is just pulling itself along. It's like, oh my God, that's really horrible.
Dan: It goes into the laundry, sorry, onto the landing, and the kids are out there, and the parents are like, we've got to search for them, they're missing. So they start searching around. A giant monster shows up, blasts Steve through a door. Some of this now, towards the end, we've entered where it's getting a little bit disjointed for me, because like you said, this film is great, up to a point, when you're just watching it, you just go along for the ride, but-
Gav: It does struggle a little bit. It starts to get a bit forced, or something happens.
Dan: Steve blows some sort of magic out of his mouth at the creature, and it vanishes, because he's been endowed with a special power from Taylor. They go downstairs searching for the kids, some zombies. This is great, where the zombies start coming in through the door now. So she slams the door on them. Robbie jumps out of the closet. Where's Carol Ann? I don't know. I think she's in the garage. So they go in the garage. She's locked herself in the car.
Gav: Robbie was scared of a mop.
Dan: I didn't notice that.
Gav: Scared of a mop at one point.
Dan: Poor kid.
Gav: It's a trauma.
Dan: Clean your room.
Gav: I'm scared of the mop. The trauma.
Dan: Clean your room.
Gav: I'm scared of the vacuum.
Dan: I told you not to bother me when I'm doing my vacuuming in my room.
Gav: That's such a good bit.
Dan: Why? So awful to see. I once read a story in a Men's Magazine, not like a porno, but FHM, FHM Magazine, about a guy that...
Gav: Someone must have done it...
Dan: . put his cock in a vacuum and he didn't realize...
Gav: Just very quickly, nozzles and vacuum canes are generally quite small. Unless it's like an industrial one.
Dan: No, they're pretty big.
Gav: You got a small willy then.
Dan: No, you can... I'm not talking about the tiny little bits. That's an attachment, like a normal sized nozzle. You could probably get one in there.
Gav: Everybody look at your nozzles. Do you think a penis could get in there?
Dan: Let's have a vote on Facebook. But yeah, I read about this guy that did that to get pleasure and he didn't realize there was like some little bladed bits of plastic inside it. That was sort of to make sure the dust is all fine when it goes into the bag.
Gav: Why didn't he put his finger in there first to make sure it's all safe?
Dan: I don't know. I think he just wanted to get his willy sucked by a vacuum.
Gav: If he was going to flash Gordon, he would just be shovels dicking that rock thing. What the f...
Dan: Timothy Dalton just going for it.
Gav: Yeah. Pop it in here.
Dan: While Richard O'Brien plays the flute in the background.
Gav: Plays his little flute. Play his little skin flute. Carry on.
Dan: So yeah, while they're in the car, an electric cable comes flying off the wall. The dog saves the day by getting the cable and throwing it away. They all managed to get in the car.
Gav: Flying chainsaw is not a good thing to have.
Dan: Well, this is where you realize some of the problem with this film, the ending especially, is this film was actually released in 3D. Which is why you get a 3D chainsaw and spanners and all these sort of tools flying at the car. And you can tell because it comes right at the screen, like in Friday the 13th part of III and all that kind of stuff. Some chains hook on to the bumper, the chainsaw starts cutting through the top. And they manage to drive away in silence. They instinctively drive back to the empty plot where their first house was. And they say the only way to beat it is to do this as a family. That's what Taylor told us to do. So let's all go down into this tomb as a family. Yay, let's all go into the tomb of evil that was underneath our swimming pool.
Gav: Woohoo.
Dan: So they climb down, there's skeletons everywhere. And Diane and Carol Anne vanish into the void.
Gav: Sucked into a hole.
Dan: Oh, I hate it when that happens. Or do I? It depends on which vacuum I'm using.
Gav: And what? If it's a glory hole or not, I suppose.
Dan: Henry Hoover. A glory hole or a hell hole. Your Sarah watched a film called Hell Hole the other day. And I commented, is that the opposite of a glory hole?
Gav: I don't know, it could be a really bad glory hole.
Dan: Well, they can hear their voices. They can hear their voices coming from the void. This has all got a bit sexual now you said this. And Taylor and Cain show up and Taylor says, Cain is here. And he says, don't forget your whole family, we've got to stay together to fight this. Okay, all right, we get it. Taylor, you told us this a billion times. Then a monster appears with Carol Anne's face. They all dive into the portal.
Gav: It's so rushed here.
Dan: I like the idea that they're all in the portal together.
Gav: Yeah, but it's, when they're in the portal, it takes about five seconds to find Carol Anne. Oh, there's Carol Anne. Got her. Great. And it's so just like matter of fact. It's just, oh, we've got to get these beats from the last one to get the beat. Okay, next one. And it's like, why is this rushed so quickly?
Dan: Where it does redeem itself, though, is for a few seconds, we think we've lost Carol Anne and the family are all very sad.
Gav: For not very, very long, though.
Dan: But then what I think where it redeems itself is there's an angel bringing her back to them and it's grandma.
Gav: Yeah, but it's literally, they lose it. Taylor says, I've lost her too late. Literally, the next scene, Gran's coming back with her. It's like, well, like we didn't have to worry then.
Dan: But it's all that lovely that grandma brought back.
Gav: But it's too quick. It's too quick.
Dan: You wanted more time with grandma.
Gav: So they needed to go into the dimension earlier on in the film, at the beginning of the third act, and at least give it a half an hour to be in there. At least all of more, because that's the first one was about Carol Anne going into the hole early on. The quest then was to go into the hole and get her. So act one would be setting the characters up, but then at the end of act one would have been, I can't remember, presumably, the hole would appear and Carol Anne going into it. We know what the story is now. We know what we're doing. That's the mission. The second act is them trying to dirt the third act as they are pulling them out. This is just weird.
Dan: So you wanted more on the screen grandma.
Gav: You just need them in the dimension earlier on in the film.
Dan: Okay, I didn't want any more on screen grandma when we reviewed X. I had enough on screen grandma getting her old boobs out.
Gav: But the grandma could have brought her back once they really tried to and they really fought and the audience believed that they'd lost her. Not the next scene. There's not enough time for them to get an emotion out of me.
Dan: Well, they all appear back in the real world because it's all very rushed. Like you say, they're all back in the real world. They all climb out of the tomb. The morning has come and then we get a funny little moment where Taylor steals the car.
Gav: Before that, Taylor says, That's some battle. No, it wasn't. It wasn't a battle. It's just like this grand nice back we go. Sweet. It was harder than a day to the supermarket.
Dan: I think just to defend that, I think the battle that Steve has been through, which is he had these two demons inside him. He got a bit rapey, drank a whole bottle of tequila, then threw up a person, then spat out a magical demon.
Gav: The whole story, then, okay.
Dan: I think he said...
Gav: I was taking a matter of fact of what had just happened and that was not a battle.
Dan: Thank God your grandma's an angel is what he should have said.
Gav: He should have said, you've been through a lot. That was a lot.
Dan: And he says, I'll take the car as payment, seen as I fixed her and she seems to...
Gav: Go for it. And then all of a sudden they realized they don't have a car, so they start going, Taylor! And run after him. Happy ending.
Dan: It's a very Spielberg silly ending, which feels a bit weirdly tacked off.
Gav: Forced.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: So this is where it, the last 20 minutes or so, is just like, go, go, go, go. Like, why?
Dan: But again, I think if you're watching this late at night, like we both said, you won't care.
Gav: By the time the ending is coming up, you're wanting to go to bed, you've fallen asleep at this point.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: So you're happy at the end of the night.
Dan: But that is Poltergeist II.
Gav: I still give it a thumbs up, but like, you know, don't be a reviewer.
Dan: Surprisingly, I'm touching at times with the stuff with family as was the first one. Like a vicar. Like a vicar or a priest. Slightly rushed third act, but some good stuff throughout, some good effects, some good family dynamics. Well-washed. And some iconic moments with Kane as a baddie in horror cinema and God Is In The Holy Temple. Great to see Tangina back.
Gav: All the good points overweigh the rushed ending. So I will again in my life before I leave the planet, we'll watch Poltergeist II.
Dan: Yeah. And I would say, like I said earlier to echo what I said, for a film that's following up to such an incredible movie like Poltergeist, it does a bloody good job of being a sequel. They couldn't quite capture what they got in the first one, but they did a good job of almost getting there. They just fell at the last hurdle. But yeah, if you've not seen it or if you haven't seen it for a while, Gavin and I, thumbs up for us on Poltergeist II.
Gav: Absolutely. Right, well, Bill Murray has just stepped up.
Dan: Hello, Bill.
Gav: He's just popped through a hole. I don't know what hole that is. And he said because we're doing Poltergeist in holes, he's going to come out of one.
Dan: He's got a bag of cocaine.
Gav: Well.
Dan: What are you doing with that, Bill? Oh, it's linked into World Of The Strange, is it? Okay.
Gav: Well, let's find out then, shall we? Here we go.
Dan: I mean, what?
Gav: Here we go. Hi, welcome back to World Of The Strange.
Dan: Well, I'm not going to do any of these lines of...
Gav: Cocaine.
Dan: Sugar Booger. That Bill Murray is offering me, but the reason he's brought it in is because he wants us to talk about some cocaine stories.
Gav: Okay.
Dan: Not just your normal cocaine stories. Some animals on cocaine.
Gav: Well, obviously, with a Blu-ray, I'm very happy to have my collection. Cocaine Bear.
Dan: Indeed. Well, the reason this comes to light is because there was a story last week where they caught some sharks on a Brazilian beach, and the sharks were all tested for positive for cocaine. Thirteen Brazilian sharknose sharks, a concentration 100 times higher than is normally found in some aquatic animals, because apparently cocaine is just in the water. So these sharks were acting nuts and crazy, because they're all...
Gav: Where is this, Miami?
Dan: Brazil.
Gav: Oh, okay.
Dan: Well, that's all right, then.
Gav: No, no, no, no, no, no. I don't mean that. I just thought, for some reason, I thought Miami because of the cocaine in the water.
Dan: Yeah, so apparently they suspect that the beach and the waters around it are used by drug smugglers. Every year, tons and tons of cocaine is found around Florida, South and Central America, including Brazil. So this is where the cocaine is coming from. And these sharks are really getting into it, Gav. And they're very high, and they will attack. And they get, they start hunting for it. They know what the packaging looks like.
Gav: Oh, no.
Dan: Yeah. So that started me thinking. Are there been any other animals on drugs?
Gav: Other animals on drugs. How much cocaine does it take to get a shot high? That's a lot.
Dan: What a question.
Gav: Teacher, teacher.
Dan: Yes, Gav, what is it?
Gav: That's the question.
Dan: Teacher, I saved a caterpillar today. How much cocaine does it take to get a shot high? I got this charred in my class, Gav. He is brilliant.
Gav: He's out there.
Dan: Now, you mentioned Cocaine Bear. I'm sure you know this. It was based on a real story. Did you know that?
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: Yeah. So for anyone that doesn't know, in 1985, a 200 pound American black bear was playing dead in a forest in Georgia after it overdosed on Cocaine.
Gav: The poor thing. But if you imagine, though, it goes like, what's this sniff? All of a sudden, things are happening. I know it's a bear, not a human, but things are still going to be happening. And woo.
Dan: Now, Gav, a 200 pound.
Gav: Was it a black or brown?
Dan: Black.
Gav: Oh.
Dan: A 200 pound bear.
Gav: They're the grizzlies.
Dan: How much cocaine is it going to take to kill a bear? Do you know what I mean? Like, that's a lot. It must have hoovered up a lot of.
Gav: Yeah, if it's like real packages, but then it might have liked it so much, because also, this thing's happened to its brains, going, oh, this is different. It just kept snorting and snorting and snorting and snorting and then probably wandered off, fucked out its face with a big white powdered face. Imagine seeing that. Well, you can watch the movie. It happens in the movie.
Dan: Apparently, the local authorities nicknamed the bear Pablo Escobar.
Gav: That's just pure genius. Give them an Oscar.
Dan: An Oscar? Now, there have been a few other films about animals on drugs. Just to quickly tell you, there's obviously Cocaine Bear, there's Cocaine Shark, which is right in my wheelhouse. There's also Cocaine Crabs From Outer Space.
Gav: Are those films?
Dan: Yeah. And then there's the Meth Gator.
Gav: I've watched half of Meth Gator.
Dan: Any good?
Gav: I can't really remember. It's just a Meth Gator, I think.
Dan: Fantastic. Well, that's the only movies there are, but I do have a couple of other quick stories about animals on drugs, if you're interested.
Gav: Of course, I am always interested in animals and drugs. It's my hobby.
Dan: Have you ever seen an animal on drugs?
Gav: I don't know. I don't know if a dog's walked up to me, and I don't know what it's been doing out before it's walked up to me. So I'm not sure.
Dan: Well, I've seen a Rottweiler on drugs.
Gav: Cats on catnip.
Dan: Yeah. Oh, God. Cats on catnip is crazy, isn't it?
Gav: I love it. Well, not all of them. Fizzy, bless her. Never was into it.
Dan: My mum had a cat and it would ride around on the floor like a scene from Trainspotting, crawling along the hallway floor, making the weirdest sounds. The other cat that would come in my mum's house, it wasn't my mum's cat, the other one. But if that got near it, it would get really nasty if you tried to stroke it. While it was doing its catnip, it would be like, and attack you, weird. But I was at a house party. I don't know. I was about 18, so a very long time ago and somebody looked around and there was a Rottweiler, the owner of the house, and the Rottweiler somehow had eaten, I think he had just eaten a bag of weed, quite a big quantity of weed. Within half an hour, the dog was throwing up everywhere, it was panicking. Actually, in hindsight, a Rottweiler is pretty nasty, but actually a stoned Rottweiler isn't going to do a lot really, is it? But still, it was pretty horrible to see really, to be honest.
Gav: Absolutely.
Dan: Yeah. Well, I've got another story here. Let's take away from that. I've had a wild cat.
Gav: Okay.
Dan: So quite a large wild cat found in Cincinnati, and it was going a bit crazy, acting up, so they captured it and tested it and thought, God, I hope it's not rabies. What is this? You know? Nope. This cat was high on cocaine.
Gav: It's cocaine, boss. What? It's cocaine, not rabies. It's cocaine.
Dan: It's okay. It's not rabies. It's just cocaine.
Gav: Say that again. Cocaine.
Dan: Yeah, this happened about a year ago. So they captured the big cat and they tested it. It was full of cocaine. They've no idea where the cocaine came from, but they basically had to put him through like a mini rehab. Bless him.
Gav: Okay.
Dan: Poor little thing. And then released them back into the wild. Imagine him going back to his buddies out in the wild. Here he comes. Oh, Jesus, Michael, what have they done to you? Oh, they got me off the stuff, didn't they? Yeah, you were going a bit crazy on it.
Gav: Imagine him being in the rehab clinic. What that was like.
Dan: All the other animals in there.
Gav: Weaning them off.
Dan: No, you don't need it, Michael. Beat your demons. You can do it. They don't know where the cocaine came from. As is often the case. Monkeys have often been found high on cocaine in some countries. They once found an owl with cocaine in its system as well. A story that I really like, which you may not remember, I did mention this briefly in an episode a while back, is about Pablo Escobar. Funny enough, is Cocaine Hippos? Have you ever heard of this story?
Gav: No.
Dan: There's so much cocaine was dumped into the rivers in Columbia, Pablo Escobar's cocaine, because they had so much cocaine, it was just ridiculous. Yeah, they could just get rid of it. We got too much. The Hippos started going crazy in the area, and they've had to go out and kill them all because they're too dangerous, because they're so high on coke. They're literally running around Columbia, attacking people. So they've had to go out and cull all Pablo Escobar's Hippos in all the rivers around where he lived, because they used to just dump so much cocaine in there.
Gav: Hippos are scary fuckers.
Dan: Imagine a Hippo on cocaine.
Gav: There's one movie that I still want to see, or Rhino, Rhino or Hippie, a Hippie.
Dan: Jesus Christ.
Gav: Rhino and a Hippo. A Hippie and a Hippo. A Hippie on a Hippie rides a Hippo. No, that would be good. But a Rhino and a Hippo movie on a Nyland stuff. I don't know if it was a Hippie, Nyland stuff. I did find my first very short movie, The Hippie Ripper, the other day.
Dan: Bloody hell.
Gav: Yeah, I show it to you sometimes.
Dan: Please. Wallabies, little kangaroo type animals.
Gav: And if you want to wallaby my lover.
Dan: If you wallaby my kangaroo.
Gav: Got to get rid of my roos.
Dan: Well, wallabies love opium.
Gav: I was about to say dick. Don't know why.
Dan: Wow.
Gav: Just going to throw that in your mouth there.
Dan: Wow. Wallabies go to poppy fields in Australia and Tasmania, and they eat poppies and get fucked off their faces.
Gav: Makes me think you got into the dragon scene. Taking a bit out of wallabies just lying around with sunglasses on.
Dan: Bruce Lee goes down there and he breaks in just as a ninja, and he's like, right, I'm going to take out all these wallabies. Imagine Bruce Lee fighting a load of high wallabies. That would be insane.
Gav: Obviously Bruce Lee fighting a kangaroo.
Dan: Oh, the kangaroo wouldn't stand a chance, would it?
Gav: I had a period of time not that long ago, I kept finding bags of coke. I think I told you about it. I just kept finding bags of cocaine everywhere I go. I'd just walk along the road and look down and be a little baggie of cocaine. So I'd pick them up and put them in the bin because I wouldn't want children to find them.
Dan: In the bin?
Gav: No, I did. It's funny because I'd put them in the bin going, my younger self would be going, what are you doing? You could get out of a party tonight.
Dan: Just putting this in the bin.
Gav: But then one time we'd find it, my friend's, oh wicked, it was on the way home to the pub. Just looked down and oh, it was a bag of coke. We got home and it wasn't coke. It was a figure of speed. And he just went from to the line. He's like, I've just found that on the floor. You don't know what it is.
Dan: Yeah, I knew somebody, the fact I was with them when they found what they thought was a bag of coke. And they did it and it wasn't coke. It was like somebody had put laundry detergent into one of those baggies.
Gav: Of course.
Dan: And somebody thought, you've just done a line of personal automatic.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: You idiot.
Gav: Just make you fucking out, be horrible. Your head would hurt.
Dan: I once found a huge bag, like a half ounce of weed, in my office cafe. This is about 20 years ago. The office I worked at, me and my friend were stoners. And we looked down and just, just sticking out from under one of the armchairs in the sort of cafe eating area. There was a big bag of weed. And we couldn't believe it. So we picked it up, wrapped it up, and because it stank, wrapped it in cling film and took it home and smoked it. And of course, no one's ever, ever, ever going to put in a lost property. The email goes out company-wide. If anybody finds a bag of weed, I did drop it in the cafe. Crazy. They must have been shitting themselves.
Gav: Well, yeah, maybe, but if it's, they'll just keep quiet. We've got a friend who's twice. First time he bought a BMX off some guys, which I know, knew a long time ago we hanged out with. And then years later, he hadn't seen him for a while, but he bought a BMX and he had to change the tire on the BMX. He took the tire out and found an ounce in the inner tube.
Dan: What?
Gav: Because the guys bought off their weed and they'd forgotten about it. And they just, because they had to hide weed everywhere.
Dan: Amazing.
Gav: And then another time he was just walking to work one morning, looked down and there was a carrier bag.
Dan: No.
Gav: Looked down and there was a carrier bag full of weed. And this was like six o'clock in the morning, just on a street, just on a pavement, just his carrier bag. So he picked it up and went, oh, weed, and took it back to his house and smoked it for a year.
Dan: For the year.
Gav: Yeah, yeah, because there's so much. And it was probably thrown out because someone has been followed by the police or some shit, maybe. Because why would there be an ounce just sitting, not an ounce, sorry, a full bag. So it was probably like a lot of ounces. Weird.
Dan: That's crazy. Yeah, well, as well as wallabies, some sheep and deer have also become addicted to opium fields or poppy fields.
Gav: Listeners, do tell us your drug finding stories.
Dan: Where can you find drugs?
Gav: Oh, no, no, just to give us a story. I bet everyone's got a drug finding story.
Dan: In 1962, an owner of a zoo in Oklahoma thought, I wonder what would happen if I put some LSD into an elephant.
Gav: Fucking hell. What happened?
Dan: The animal went crazy, trashed the zoo and it had to be put down.
Gav: Of course it did. I hope the person was put down as well.
Dan: He put 3,000 times the dose that a normal person would do into an elephant with a syringe.
Gav: That's an intelligent animal though. That's horrible, isn't it? Yeah, because I think it's going absolutely mad. It's probably got enough insight to know that there's something wrong with its mind.
Dan: On a slight final tangent side note, talking about elephants-
Gav: Is it happier than crawled to his head an elephant? No.
Dan: No.
Gav: Shame.
Dan: It's to do with elephants getting drunk. Elephants love to get drunk. They find gone-off or fermented fruit.
Gav: That's fine. It's just giving them too much. All that acid is not fine.
Dan: Monkeys as well. Love it when they find some fruit that slightly prements.
Gav: I've seen monkeys smoking cigarettes. They love it all.
Dan: Well, we've seen monkeys fucking a frog. Well, you might not have, but I have. We talked about that.
Gav: You did tell me about that.
Dan: Have you ever seen that video of a grandma in a wheelchair at the zoo?
Gav: River frogs doing stuff?
Dan: No, no. They're at the side of the monkey enclosure. One of the monkeys flicks a bit of shit and it gets her right in the eye.
Gav: Oh my God. That's bad.
Dan: It really-
Gav: She's got rainbow eye.
Dan: The granny in the wheelchair and it gets her right in the eye and everyone's laughing and she is horrified.
Gav: Yeah, yeah. That's more than pink eye. That's rainbow eye.
Dan: Monkey shit in your eye, mate. Monkey shit in your eye. Well, anyway, that's pretty much it, really. Just a silly little word of the strange for this episode. Just about animals getting high or drunk. I guess the moral of the story is don't give an elephant acid and if you see some wallabies on opium, leave them alone.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: Unless you're Bruce Lee.
Gav: Indeed.
Dan: Then fight them in an underground lair.
Gav: Well, cheers, Bill.
Dan: Thanks for that, Bill. Take your bag of whatever this is and get out.
Gav: I fancy going up a high rise building.
Dan: What? A huge erection?
Gav: Bill Dove, Major Erections. Right, let's get out of here. We're coming back to Major Erections and that is Poltergeist III. That's all the time we've got for this week on World Of Strange. Next week though, give me iron. Hairless Pets. Guess who's back in town?
Dan: Poltergeist III, from 1988, directed by Gary Sherman. Coraline is staying with her auntie in a high-rise building where the supernatural forces haunting her make their return.
Gav: They're back again. I, because I know they did a remake of Poltergeist. Excuse me, which I think you were gonna talk about a little bit later on, probably.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: I think Poltergeist could be not remade, but I think a new Poltergeist could easily be made well, like a really good creepy haunted house movie with the right people behind it, a Poltergeist film. But set it as like another story, and it kind of feels like this one because the only thing tying obviously Carol Anne and Tangina, but it feels like an offshoot, not as far as Halloween three season, The Witches and The Michael Myers Saga, but it just feels not the same. We've got different location, different people. It's just a different type of film. But I feel like a Poltergeist movie nowadays could like doing this, obviously not with Carol Anne, but just the whole scenario going on. Like a universe, like the Marvel Universe, et cetera. I feel like you could make a good Poltergeist film now. Obviously, it's been done, Blumhouse, with the old insidious top movies and shit like that.
Dan: To me, the closest we've got to a Poltergeist film is the very first Paranormal Activity.
Gav: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Dan: To me, that's kind of all it's basically been.
Gav: That's still a fantastic reveal. Happy anytime put on Paranormal Activity I.
Dan: It's terrifying. It's such a good film. And it all takes place in one house. And there's the haunting, and there's spooky moving things happening. Because nothing beats that scene in the first movie, Poltergeist movie, where the chairs are just on the table, out of the blue, you know, that is spooky. That kind of thing. And there's stuff like that in Paranormal Activity that's just spooky, you know. I know that there's a lot of those, and I don't know if I've seen them all. I've seen the first two or three. I know you've recently, maybe not recently recently, but in the last couple of years, you've worked your way through all the Paranormal Activities from the beginning.
Gav: Yeah, I own pretty much all the mall, yeah. Yeah.
Dan: I'd like to perhaps cover the first one at some point. Yeah.
Gav: But I feel like you could do that. And this film almost feels like... They basically, they take Elements Part 1 and Elements Part 2, basically, and try and make this film. And I just feel like it's too much on the nose. I feel like they should have gone just a slightly different direction, maybe.
Dan: Let's, if I may be frank, to me, this film smacks of desperation.
Gav: I'll be Bob, you be Frank.
Dan: I'll be Frank, you be Bob. And I think this film, they wanted to cash in on the Poltergeist name and on Heather O'Rourke.
Gav: Obviously, certain people are asked to come back, and they're like, no, I could come back, which we did a part too, and you don't need to do more. And it's like, at that time, obviously, they know the score. Horror movies have franchises. So maybe they're thinking of Amityville. But some of the people obviously know at this point, but you can't. And if you're not getting the same composer as well, it's just, you know, it's a different film.
Dan: And I think they just thought, look, the Poltergeist II made a bit of money. Let's make a bit more money again. And let's chuck Heather O'Rourke in there. She was 11 at the time.
Gav: I am shocked that Tom Skerritt and Nancy Allen are in this because they both are good enough, fine actors.
Dan: And Laura Flynn Boyle as well.
Gav: Yeah, yeah, all can act and went on to do good and had already done good stuff. Alien, Robocop.
Dan: Carrie, you know, Nancy Allen was in Carrie as well. Laura Flynn Boyle, obviously Twin Peaks.
Gav: It's a very known cast.
Dan: And it's a good idea, which is a little quick tangent I want to do because it's set in a high-rise building. And that's a good idea. Single location, that kind of thing. So I just wanted to quickly mention.
Gav: Yeah, like you said, it's almost like a sub genre.
Dan: Yeah, I wanted to mention a couple of movies.
Gav: I like it as well because I love the single location. Even though it's a big location, I like it.
Dan: Yeah. So let's very quickly chat about...
Gav: We covered one last time.
Dan: Exactly, but it's the first one on my list. Wreck. Wreck, if anyone hasn't seen or didn't hear our last episode. Wreck is all set in one apartment block in Barcelona. It's fine footage, zombie, virus, outbreak movie, very good stuff. There's a movie, but you might have seen by a director that we certainly like the name of Dick Mass. And the movie is called The Shaft. Dick Mass directs The Shaft. Come on, that is perfect, isn't it?
Gav: Yeah, I haven't seen it.
Dan: That's all takes place in a single location by a haunted elevator.
Gav: I do need to watch this one with that line. Goes around the city again. I need to watch that.
Dan: Yeah, that was good. That was cool. There's Shivers from 1975, Cronenberg movie about a parasite turning people evil through sex in a modern apartment complex. We've also got, if you wanted to go into sort of action, we've got another two movies we covered, The Raid and Dread. Dread, yeah. Tower Block.
Gav: I watched that again recently. Yeah, I watched it again recently. It starts off okay, then goes guys a bit, crap.
Dan: Attack The Block is another one set, mainly in an apartment block. It does take place on the streets of London a little bit, but mainly in one apartment block. Die Hard, obviously the famous one we all, everybody knows. Gremlins II, which I think Tarantino says that that's his favorite of the two Gremlins movies because it's all set in this futuristic, I was weirdly watching something he popped up on.
Gav: It's a very fun film.
Dan: Yeah, he loves it. He said it was like a real like love letter to that kind of.
Gav: But that, that, for example, is taking the same cost, obviously this doesn't so much, but really putting them into this different setting, which is from the house to this really, all the little town to this. So that is interesting, really.
Dan: Demons II, you mentioned that one as well, didn't you? To me, all fair. And that's another one. Again, it goes from a cinema to a high rise. Rosemary's Baby, although it doesn't feel like it, 90% of that film takes place in a couple of apartments within this tower block. And that's another one that's good, because you just feel, I guess, with all these movies, you feel that sense of claustrophobia. You know, we're just in this one location and that's it, really. Yeah, so I just wanted to quickly mention, and there's probably loads of them out there, but I just wanted to mention that there is a weird sub-genre of horror or action or just movies generally based in, I guess even the Resident Hammer film, more recent Hammer film, if I say recent, it's about 10 years old, though, with Sir Christopher Lee. Even that was, was it called The Resident? Yeah. Even that is kind of based in an apartment block. So there is something to be said. Even some of the Candyman movies sort of take place in these old abandoned apartment blocks. So yeah, it's a fun sub-genre.
Gav: So it's a fun location, especially as we've got our main family. There's not really one main protagonist really, I suppose, Heverick, as Carol Anne again is. Excuse my throat. I think it's better now, hopefully. If not, I shall stop and clear it. In fact, Bruce Gardner, which is Tom Skerritt, he isn't just a resident of the place though. He's in charge of the place. He's like a manager, I guess, or manager, director, or not manager, just a manager, I presume.
Dan: So the reason I brought that list up is because I feel like this movie, Poltergeist III, is a little bit related to Gremlins II and Shivers in that it's a very futuristic, very snazzy, new apartment block with all these things built into it. I mean, this apartment block in Gremlins III has got a shopping center built into it. You know, Tom Skerritt and Nancy Allen both work, their offices are in the same apartment block they live in. Yeah, you know, so it's quite a fancy, it's got a swimming pool.
Gav: You know, all you need is the Internet. You're kind of where we are anyway.
Dan: You never need to go out, then.
Gav: I do like the fact that he's like the manager, though. So it's good. It gives him more of a role and more of a storyline, because obviously when things start going wrong, it gives us the information we need as the audience of the things that are starting to go wrong, the things happening. We know it's like the ghosts are there. So it's Kane again, I guess. Yeah. There. Yeah.
Dan: So before we jump into the story, as we all know, Heather O'Rourke sadly passed away while they were still in production. They didn't want to continue with it, but the director certainly didn't want to continue the film, and most of the cast didn't really. But they were kind of forced to wrap up, really. They were told...
Gav: Yeah, the studios, well, if they've put money into it already.
Dan: But they were also told, you know, you'll dishonor her last piece of work if you don't finish it. And actually, they said, let's get this done so that, you know, she hasn't acted all the way through this pain she was going through for nothing. She was misdiagnosed and was on medication for something she shouldn't have been on, which is why her face is very puffy in some of the scenes. It's all very, very sad. And I'm not saying that frivolously. It is very, very sad. I just don't really want to harp on about it, really. So really, the only actors that return are Tangina, Zelda Rubinstein and Heather O'Rourke. Kane had passed away by this point, the actor that played him.
Gav: And also, yeah, which is just don't do that, do something else. Do you know what I mean? Just do a totally different thing. It shouldn't have been done. The whole first of all, the Kane thing, I just replaced him. It doesn't look the same. The look was what made him, like I was saying.
Dan: Because they had somebody wearing a mask of that actor that had died.
Gav: You know, it's horrible. I think it's about 25% of the script had to be scrapped. That and so the editors had to pull it together, this film and the starting of this film, it's fine, it sets up fine, but then it just is a bit, but we'll get to it.
Dan: This film falls apart halfway, not even in the third act, about the halfway point of the movie. It's got some good stuff in it. I like Tom Skerritt in this.
Gav: It's a really interesting title font with reflections.
Dan: Yeah, yeah, and the whole mirror theme all the way through it is brilliant.
Gav: But music and sound is so important. It really helps set scenes. We come on with a synthesized piano playing, and it's like, this is not orchestration, what we had before with the... Da, da, da, da, da, da, da, da. You know, really nice, beautiful stuff. This is just like someone's having a field day in the 80s in a keyboard section, they're just taking over poppers, and they've gone into the music store, saying, let's have a go on your keyboard, man. It's just not good.
Dan: I think the plus points before we get into the story are...
Gav: Real shame, unfortunately. It really is.
Dan: Plus points for Tom Skerritt, Nancy Allen, are the auntie and uncle of Heather, and they really continue that family dynamic. And I really like Tom Skerritt's character. He's a real cool uncle who runs a high tech building, and he's fun, you know, he's a fun call.
Gav: A fun call? I've never known of that expression.
Dan: A fun call. Heather O'Rourke is Heather O'Rourke. She's cute, she's scared, she does what she does. Laura Flynn Boyle is cool in this and hot. You know, I always thought she was hot. Into Impicc, et cetera. And even some of the other characters, like Scott, her boyfriend, and obviously Tangina. Everybody does a fairly decent turn in this. And I think the standout high point, like the biggest selling point for me, if you're gonna watch this, is the practical effects with all the mirrors. We did touch on it briefly, but there's a lot of fantastic scenes.
Gav: There's a lot of reflection.
Dan: Yeah, and it's basically the tricks that Penn and Teller and David Blaine and all these guys would use on stage, where it looks like you're going in one and one comes out the other.
Gav: It does have this for the movie. As it ages, all that shit still fits fine.
Dan: Yeah, and some of it's really effective. You're still looking at how did they do that without seeing a reflection of that?
Gav: Yeah, because they spent a long time doing it. It's so weird, though, that the fact that we have that really good, then we have a music score, which is appalling. It's so bad to the point where I'm like, oh my God, I wish if you could just stop the music, it had a button, I would have done it. I love the fact that straight away, though, we get a window cleaner trying to make his squeegee creepy.
Dan: Yeah, he's a bit pedo-y, this window cleaner. He sort of smiles at her.
Gav: Swiping his squeegee, looking at Carol Anne.
Dan: And then she looks down as he-
Gav: And he looks like he has lipstick on. It's just really odd.
Dan: And then as she looks down, he turns into Kane.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: Looks up at her. Now, Carol Anne is said 122 times in this movie. And now I've said that.
Gav: Yeah, I'm so happy you didn't tell me beforehand, because I have fucked me off so much watching it.
Dan: Yeah, you're just here, Carol Anne, Carol Anne, Carol Anne, Carol Anne.
Gav: If you're doing a drinking game, you are not waking up for the next day.
Dan: You're like a monkey in the jungle, getting drunk on fermented fruit. So to paint the picture, Heather has been shipped off from her parents to live with her uncle Bruce and auntie Tricia and her cousin Donna in this high tech building that is run by uncle Bruce.
Gav: And I, like, Laura Flynn Boyle is actually a daughter to this, to Tom and Nancy. And I was just like, they can't be that far apart. They're exactly 20 years apart, Nancy Ellen and Laura Flynn Boyle. And I said, I don't know. I don't know if I looked at Laura Flynn Boyle in this as looking older than she is. And Nancy looking younger, must have been the latter.
Dan: Well, when Craig T. Nelson and Diane Frieding didn't want to come back, the studio, the producers must have been so happy when Tom Skerritt, oh, the guy from Alien, great. We've got him in this, great, excellent. Yeah, he was in Top Gun, fantastic. Pop him in this. Who else have we got? RoboCop. You know, RoboCop and Carrie, Nancy Allen. Yeah, we've got her. Laura Flimboil. Yeah. Oh, fantastic. Great. Get her in it as well. So they must have been thinking, this is great. Tangina's coming back. Great. Get Zelda Rubenstein in this. But then when it all started falling apart as they were producing it, and then when, sadly, when Heather passed away, they must have just thought, this is just falling apart, isn't it, really?
Gav: Let's call the composer in. Oh, God. And whoever signed off on it, what are you doing? Yeah, so they do have a shopping center at the bottom, though, don't they? They do. Yeah, so it is very much those films for the shopping center at the bottom.
Dan: Yeah, and there's mirrors everywhere, because this is a new high tech building, but that's how the demons get to you in this one. So that is, again, another little clever thing is that they get to you through the mirrors.
Gav: And obviously, Carol Anne must be the key to all of this. Wherever Carol Anne goes, if she was going to go to a small island in Scotland, off the coast of Scotland, there's going to be spooky happenings going on there.
Dan: You'd hear bagpipes and then suddenly...
Gav: Cain would somehow be able to throw his powers over there, yeah?
Dan: He'd possess Nessie.
Gav: Even though he's still stuck in that temple, is he? I don't know, where is he? Oh no, he's in the other element, he's in the other dimension.
Dan: Still trying to get through the mirrors. I just mentioned Nessie, Gav.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: Very quick tangent, when I was watching that...
Gav: That Loch Ness is so deep, it's crazy, crazy deep. That's why they've always had this thing, it's like crazy deep.
Dan: When I was watching that Hammer Horror documentary, as the studio was really falling apart and closing its doors, they had an unproduced Nessie movie in the works.
Gav: Oh, please tell me Peter Kushner was an investigator.
Dan: I'm not sure who was going to be in it.
Gav: I know, because he'd been too old towards the end.
Dan: I think he'd sort of stopped by them. But can you imagine a Nessie movie by Hammer?
Gav: Yeah, that'd be great.
Dan: Imagine how good that would be.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: I just wanted to mention that as a quick tangent. Yeah, that would be good. I was gutted to hear that, but there we go. Anyway, so let's kick off the family dynamic. Bruce and Caroline make breakfast. They're having fun. They've got a good relationship. You do get the impression, and this is definitely cemented later on, that Auntie Trish doesn't really want to look after Caroline. She's a successful woman in business. So is Bruce running this building, and they've already got a grown up daughter, Donna, who she's been a teenager going to parties. They don't really want to be looking after this spooky little girl who's told her-
Gav: Where's our family?
Dan: They've just abandoned her and said, go and live with your auntie for a bit. They've gone to live with their aunt and uncle in Bel Air.
Gav: What is the reason that no one else is there? Why?
Dan: Because they want her to get away from that part of America so that she can try and leave her past behind her and all this stuff.
Gav: At no point does the mum ring her up to see how she's doing.
Dan: No, no.
Gav: Just completely like there's no mum dad.
Dan: Imagine if-
Gav: I shouldn't have made this film.
Dan: Imagine if this was the reason that Will Smith got sent to Bel Air.
Gav: It might have been the reason.
Dan: Uncle Phil's like, Oh, my nephew Will's going to come in with us for a bit because there was some possession.
Gav: We've got poltergeists.
Dan: He was rapping with the poltergeists.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: And no one can see Jazz. And when Jazz shows up, he's the spirit. And that's why Uncle Phil throws his mask, because only Uncle Phil can see him. And he exercises him from the house every episode. That's what it is. I've cracked it.
Gav: I think this film, they shouldn't- I suppose Carol Anne is the key for the films as well. She's on the front cover. Do you know what I mean?
Dan: She's the selling point.
Gav: She is. She's the one goes missing in the first one. But I almost feel they shouldn't have done it. And they just had Tangina come in, almost like in the Condren movies with those fake ass detectives.
Dan: Yeah, yeah.
Gav: Because they're fake in real life, those fuckers. Tangina. Being Tangina being the one which then leads the movies on to different. I think you could probably have done a franchise, a Poltergeist franchise.
Dan: Well, they were going to make a four. Craig T. Nelson was going to be coming back.
Gav: Why now is he coming back? Because he needs the money.
Dan: I guess they were going to give him enough money. He said he didn't want to do the third one. A lot of them didn't because they've been too much.
Gav: So the fourth one, obviously, if they were going to do a fourth one, obviously, these people have passed. They must have been like, we're going to do a different film. And that'd be the film that I'm saying that should be this one.
Dan: But obviously, when Heather passed, they decided to not bother making a fourth one.
Gav: Oh, okay, so they thought they were going to do it when she was still around.
Dan: Yeah, yeah. But she said, I wouldn't have made a fourth one, Heather. She said, I'm bored of playing this character.
Gav: Yeah, yeah, I get it as well, yeah.
Dan: And she actually, her least favorite to make, she said, until she died, was the second one. She said, I watched it, it was boring. But again, she was only nine or ten when she made it. I don't know.
Gav: They're in a taxi, I see Kane's reflection.
Dan: They do. We see a lot of Kane reflections in this. It's very samey.
Gav: Unfortunately, because he doesn't look the same, we know at first I was like, is that supposed to be the guy from the second? Because it doesn't look like him, I didn't know, is it or is it like some decide who wears the same stuff?
Dan: It's supposed to be him, yeah.
Gav: And that's why it shouldn't be in there. Just take it out.
Dan: There's some good stuff, though, where a big crack appears from the bottom floor all the way through the mirrors outside every single...
Gav: Should have just called it a tower block or something or something like the tower block or something. And just made it with TomSka and Anseal and have all these great reflections, all this stuff. But take out the priest, take out the music score and take out Caroline.
Dan: Yeah. Well, Donna gets dropped off into a car with her boyfriend and a few other friends and they're all going to go on the school run and Caroline gets dropped at her school and as she goes to a special school for gifted individuals.
Gav: Very quickly going back to what you said, I really do like the crack because I first of all, OK, boss, you got to come check this out. I like this in the films where it goes like the devil. Devil's great example. You've got the horror inside the lift, but you got the engineers on the outside. And that's this. I love this, and it gives us information. There's a crack going right through and it's gone through all the way up through the whole building on the mirror all the way through, which is bad. That would be bad structurally. I need some movement. That's bad. That is very, very bad. They don't seem that alarmed, to be honest. But I do like that bit.
Dan: I just remembered another movie, The Last Act of Ghostbusters.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: All takes place in, you know, so it's been done a lot. Yes, you're right, Gav. Weird stuff starts happening. A lot of mirrors are breaking. In fact, Donna borrows a little compact mirror from her mum. When she looks in it later, it's completely shattered. That's because the demons are trying to get through the mirrors.
Gav: My name just shined the mirrors. Then the guy says, yeah, but you got to check this out. And I loved it. I'm loving this. I'm really enjoying this stuff. Let's check this out. And they open up a room where all the pipes are. And it's all ice and stank types and stuff like that.
Dan: Yep. Ice cools all over. And he's like, right, we need to get the...
Gav: That's not good.
Dan: We need to get the guys on the phone who deal with the air conditioning because something has gone wrong in this building. Because people are complaining it's really cold in this building.
Gav: I think it's gone more like this, thinking the same wrong building and then this Poltergeist. It's just been an offshoot of the Poltergeist series. I think that's been a great movie.
Dan: So in summary, we've been introduced to the family. We can see there's issues with the building. The mirrors are all breaking. There's ice appearing and weird temperatures happening. Now we're with Caroline at her school and she's being teased. Caroline, have you seen any ghosts today? Caroline, Caroline, boo, boo. She's at this school, her teacher, who's a doctor, Dr. Seaton. He's a piece of shit. He's a piece of shit and he wears a terrible sweater.
Gav: But the thing is, he's not a piece of shit. He's being put across as being an absolute piece of shit. And I've got to say, he is a creepiest counselor. But actually, at the end of the day, he's actually trying to help. He just comes across really creepy.
Dan: So he is talking to his other staff members about Caroline, saying, I've got this little girl in my class. We all know she is. She's able to somehow do massive notice on people. She convinced her entire neighborhood that the house was haunted and disappeared into a void. She's really clever. She's got a gift of mass hypnosis. She can produce mass hysteria. He truly believes that this little girl can do that. And I guess, you know, maybe that is a real thing. I don't know. But he doesn't like her being in the class. He doesn't like her being in the school.
Gav: Tangina is having lady afternoon.
Dan: Oh, she's having a lovely shiny teapot, isn't she?
Gav: And all of a sudden she's like, Oh my God, I think he's there again. They're like, Tangina? And she just runs off.
Dan: She goes, sorry ladies, the tea will have to wait till another time. And she just runs off.
Gav: She is a lady of leisure.
Dan: And her friend is like, Fucking hell, Tangina.
Gav: I thought you were going to pay.
Dan: Yeah, we're all sat here now with our cups of tea.
Gav: Bitch.
Dan: She gets off. She's so small, bless her. When she jumps down from the chair, she claims that I'll allow her to get off the chair pretty much. No offense to any of our smaller listeners. Where are we at? Oh yeah, School for Give A Child Room with Emotional Problems.
Gav: I was going to say something really out there. I was going to say to do Glory Holes and Tangina, but like a hype thing, but I'm not going to go there.
Dan: Wow, I know exactly where you're going with that.
Gav: I'm not imagining it either. I'm just saying.
Dan: This deck is clear.
Gav: This hole is clear.
Dan: She says it a million times herself. Now, there's a two-way mirror in lots of rooms, keeping in with the theme of mirrors. So, in this school, they like to spy on the children. Not really spy, that sounds creepy. They observe.
Gav: Observe.
Dan: Sorry, thank you. In this school, they like to spy on the children.
Gav: Let's change every time observes used anywhere in documents, official documents, to creeping.
Dan: Yeah, creeping around, perving. And Caroline can see, she knows, she can sense those people in the other side of these mirrors. They don't initially believe, but Dr. Seaton says, well, that's one of her talents. She'll have you believe these things, you know, don't worry about it. Caroline, though, is, she's seeing a cane in the mirror. Yeah, I mean, how many times am I going to say, Caroline, in this review?
Gav: Then a zombie hand comes out and throws something in the mirror. Why?
Dan: I don't know. But Dr. Seaton says, ah, what happened there? Well, she made you all believe.
Gav: Because if it breaks, Caroline goes over, he then goes over to the people observing, as Dan says, creeping, and says.
Dan: And says, oh, she made you smash the mirror with your cup.
Gav: And the people sitting there going, what? No, I didn't do that at all.
Dan: If you look at them all, they go, oh, yes, of course, that's what's happened. They really believe this guy.
Gav: The person that had the mug was a bit like, oh, so I don't know.
Dan: And that all happened because he's been putting Caroline under hypnosis to try and get her to tap into what actually happened. And every time he does this, he opens the portal a bit more and a bit more and a bit more and a bit more for Cain, which Tangina reveals all of this later on, because she goes, it's your fault he's here.
Gav: You brought him back. You did this.
Dan: You made her remember. Poor old Caroline just wants to forget it all and live with her auntie and uncle in Bel Air, but it's not happening.
Gav: The mum and dad are getting ready to go out. And this really reminded me of a kid in the 80s. And just my parents are always getting out. My dad's always putting on a bow tie. Always going to like these events. Though I was, my mum would drill dress up and that. And then a little bit of babysitting around stuff. Loads of times I remember this happening. I never do that shit. I never go to any of the black. I don't even have a bow tie. Never happens. Where were these places my parents were going?
Dan: Bingo.
Gav: I don't know, maybe. Fancy bingo.
Dan: Well, they're going to an art exhibition in the gallery, which is still in the building. They never leave this building. Everything's in the building. So they're off and they say, Donna, you look after Heather. Not Heather. You look after Carol Ann. And we're off out now. Donna's obviously on the phone to her boyfriend. I can't come to the party because I've got to look after my stupid little cousin. No, I don't really like Donna and Carol Ann. Over here is all of that. She's like, I don't mind if you call me a stupid little cousin, it's fine.
Gav: It's a lovely bit where Nancy Allen's talking to Tom Skerritt and he's in the mirror and he... No, she's in the mirror looking at reflection.
Dan: Oh yes.
Gav: And he walks away and she turns around to check herself out. She's getting herself ready. And his figure is like delayed by about two seconds. Yeah. It's a reflection, then turns around and walks off. And she's like, what? So she quickly looks around and he's obviously already gone. She looks back and it's still just walking out. And I was like, oh, that is really creepy. And it's really well done. Shame the score couldn't have helped it.
Dan: And then just after that, as they walk down the corridor with mirrors all on one side, the doors opposite the mirrors are all opening, even though they're not opening in real life. But in the mirror reflection, we see all the doors open and there's a cane stood in every doorway, watching them walk down the corridor. But he's not actually there. It's only happening in the reflection. So again, lots of clever, lots of clever stuff in this. Good effects. Just doesn't fit in with the rest of what's going on, really. So they get to the party and they're mingling. Meanwhile, Carol Ann says, why don't you go to the party? I know you really like Scott. I'll be okay on my own. Oh, my God. Have you not been in the first two films, Carol Ann?
Gav: Art exhibition, isn't it?
Dan: Yeah. But Carol Ann says, don't worry about it. I'll be all right on my own. Surely, you know, Poltergeists are going to come and get me. You bugger off to your boyfriend's party, which is in the same building, by the way, because everybody in the world lives in this building.
Gav: But I quite like it when, is it, I think it's Lara from Ball. Yeah.
Dan: She's getting ready in the mirror.
Gav: And Carol Anne just comes and knocks and says, you look, no, it just says, you look great like that. And she goes, oh, she says, you look good.
Dan: Don't forget, less is more about her makeup. And then she turns around at the door.
Gav: And she's not actually in the room and knock at the door and Carol Anne's at the door.
Dan: And then Carol Anne says, you look good. Don't forget, less is more.
Gav: It's really creepy stuff you could do with sound design. I've been doing that a lot recently in my new film.
Dan: And if I remember rightly, it's in camera because they, she's looking at the mirror and then she turns around. So they must have done something with the set and run Heather around to repeat those lines again.
Gav: No, she just recorded her saying those lines, took the audio taken, just put it on top.
Dan: Yeah, but she sees her in the mirror.
Gav: Oh, does she see her in the mirror as well?
Dan: And then she turns back to the door, but she's then shut and the door then opens and then she says those lines straight away. So again, it's like a three second delay. So these mirrors are like a portal through time, even though it's only by a few seconds here and there sometimes. So again, it's quite interesting. But Donna says, well, I'm off to the party. So she goes to the party and she gets there and Scott's friend, it's Martin's party. He's like, yeah, so my parents didn't go out in the end, so we're not allowed to have music on really loud and we've all got to be sat down quietly in a room. So my dad's sick upstairs in the bed and my mum's told me if she can hear the party, the party's over. So it's like the shittiest party ever.
Gav: My 22nd, my dad stayed upstairs in the bedroom, on the bed, just watching TV. My mum went out and I had to finish it at 11 o'clock.
Dan: 22nd?
Gav: That's my 22nd, yeah.
Dan: Oh, dude.
Gav: I was like, yeah, yeah. No, it's fine. It was quite funny. I've got it on camera. Actually, Cam called it. The place was packed in its fancy dress.
Dan: Brilliant.
Gav: And there's just shit going on. It's fine. But then Lefkoe was like, right, everyone out.
Dan: Well, this party isn't quite that good. So they all start suggesting, what shall we do? Should we go to your apartment, Donna? She's like, no, I've got Carol Ann there. I was supposed to be babysitting her. Then they said, hang on a minute, your dad runs the building. You've got the key for every fucking door. You've got access to the swimming pool. American teenagers love having a party in a swimming pool, Gav. So let's go to the pool, they say. Let's go to the pool. We can get there. All right, then I've got the key. So they convince her, we're going to go to the pool.
Gav: I like this bit where we see Carol Ann being pulled up the mirror. It's good.
Dan: Yeah. So she's got the old speaking spell, and she sees a reflection. Again, her reflection, she's sat on the bed, but behind her, she doesn't see it. Her reflection, it gets up and opens the window.
Gav: Yeah, it's cool.
Dan: It's a cane.
Gav: Dr. Seaton, I thought they were saying at one point, Dr. Seaton from House of Houses and Corpses. Dr. Seaton.
Dan: I don't know if it was Dr. Seaton. Well, her reflection turns into an old-faced version of her, and says, we're back. It's like, oh, really, again. It was all right in the second one, but.
Gav: Then how does, oh yeah, Tangina rings Dr. Seaton, uncle him now, and says, yeah, that's all going to happen. You got to get over there. And he's like, right, that's Caroline mucking around. Right, I'm going to go and fucking have a go at her.
Dan: Well, he says, I'm going to go to the art exhibition that her parents and her auntie and uncle are at, and I'm going to give them a piece of my mind, because she's a little prankster, he calls her. So he can't believe that someone called Tangina has rung him, because she's on the plane. She's using the phone on the plane to ring him up and say, you're not the spirit. But if you were a doctor and some woman with a voice like helium rang you up and said, it's your fault, you've let the demon sing, you'd be like, what fuck off? What are you talking about? I'm just here having dinner with my wife. He's really horrible to his wife.
Gav: I'm going to get someone to ring you up like that.
Dan: Great. He says, I'm off to the art exhibition to give him a peace of my mind. Put the dinner on a low heat and don't forget the vegetables this time. He beats his wife.
Gav: She is scared and she won't leave him.
Dan: She looks scared. So, Caroline is alone and afraid in the apartment.
Gav: Actually, he's probably come home and she's left him.
Dan: I hope so.
Gav: Me too. He's going to die anyway.
Dan: Oh, yeah. He gets horrifically killed by a shaft.
Gav: Shaft.
Dan: Wow.
Gav: That's a shaft and a flash. He's a bad motherfucker. That's a flash shaft.
Dan: Don't flash your shaft at me. Shaft flash. Quick insert of the team sneaking over to the pool. Caroline is alone in her apartment, afraid. This is where the Caroline. Caroline, Caroline, Caroline, Caroline.
Gav: We're clueless. We need you, Caroline.
Dan: Save us. Take us to the light. And that starts up for the whole movie. It does get grating. I'm going to be honest with you. Cain appears in the lift. She runs down the emergency stairs. The alarms get triggered. So Donna and Scott sneak into the security guard's room.
Gav: To do the classic rewind and take two hours and play that then.
Dan: So he won't know that they're having a part.
Gav: It's always going to be behind two hours though, until they reset it, I suppose.
Dan: Which is cool. She's got the key. She does it. And then Scott says, hang on a minute, that key opens anything. Does it open the supermarket on the ground floor?
Gav: Trouble is, get towards the end of that two hours, you're going to see Laurel Flynn-Bowell running towards the bloody place.
Dan: True.
Gav: So you're fucked. But you get away with it for two hours.
Dan: But Scott convinces her, if you've got the key for everything, let's go into the supermarket and take a six pack of Coca-Cola and a six pack of Miller and some crisps.
Gav: I'm not stealing, he says, I've got the money.
Dan: He's a right pusher.
Gav: He looks like the dude that Bill Murray likes to torment in Coast Busters. I don't think it's not the same guy, though.
Dan: It's not him, though.
Gav: No. They do a very simple trick, reverse smoke. Well, basically, it's smoke coming down a staircase, they put it in reverse, so it goes back up a staircase.
Dan: When Carol Anne is sat there. Yeah, so she sees every trick in the book here. She sat on the stairwell and she sees smoke, she hears voices, ice appears, shadows, then the smoke reverses, like you say. It's all just not scary, really, and it's all just-
Gav: It's trickery, but it needs to be in a different film.
Dan: But there's a funny moment now where Donna sees her buddies in the swimming pool. She's on the CCTV show. She pranks them by grabbing the microphone and saying, this is the police. They're all under arrest for breaking into the pool, and then Scott jumps on and says- and starts saying their names, and they all realize it's a prank.
Gav: She starts saying it, she says, you all need to get out of here, wrap your clothes on or whatever.
Dan: Yeah, put your hands up and your pants down. Yeah. Then he uses their names. So they know that it's a prank. Yeah, they know it's a prank. But then Donna sees-
Gav: A big puddle.
Dan: Well, Donna, first of all, then Donna says, oh shit, and she sees Caroline running through the parking lot.
Gav: That's really not good, is it?
Dan: No, no. And while we cut to Caroline, and she's running through the parking lot, and you hear, lead us to the light, you're the angel that can save us. And that's where she's pulled into a puddle. Big, giant puddle. Not a bad sort of effect, really.
Gav: It's simple, but effective.
Dan: Donna and Scott try to pull her out, and some really good zombie hands grab them, and all three of them get pulled into, and I really like these next few scenes, really. All three of them get pulled into the puddle.
Gav: Yeah, it's good. Dad at the Art Gallery is being told... So basically, the party they've gone to is in the same tower block. I thought they were actually going to leave the tower block for once.
Dan: No, they don't leave.
Gav: It's like going to the Winchester in Shaun the Dead.
Dan: No one leaves.
Gav: And he's told there's some people in the pool, they say they're guests of your daughter, and he goes, right. And they go and do like a fucking investigating, not investigating, interrogation.
Dan: Yeah. Where is my daughter Donna? Where is Carol Ann?
Gav: Yeah. And they're like, I don't know.
Dan: So they all get told to go home. And there's a great moment now where Tom Skerritt looks around in the swimming pool, suddenly gets iced over.
Gav: And his kids just comes out, which is the boyfriend of his daughter, frozen.
Dan: And he bangs into the wall, almost a bit comical really.
Gav: It's quite cool. I don't mind it.
Dan: Yeah, I really, I really like that moment. And then he blinks and the ice is gone. And before he passes out, he says, they've got Donna and Carol Ann. And then Dr. Seaton and Auntie Trish come in.
Gav: Tom Skerritt says, it's frozen. He says, what frozen? He looks back and he's not frozen.
Dan: And Dr. Seaton is like, oh, she's done it to you as well. Massive gnosis.
Gav: He just won't have it.
Dan: Like bastard.
Gav: He will not have it.
Dan: So Bruce and Trish, Uncle Bruce and Auntie Trish get home. There's some strange lights.
Gav: Bruce Campbell. Bruce. Bruce Campbell.
Dan: Sean Connery and Bruce Campbell. Bruce gets thrown back through the corridor when they get home and Caroline's bedroom door turns into a weird slimy portal thing. And she leans out of the door. But it's not Caroline. And Tangina walks in and says, it's not Caroline. It's something else. Yeah. And she introduces herself. I'm Tangina. I'm a strange, tiny woman who helped a family in two movies. And I've been roped into appearing in this film.
Gav: Basically, what we could do with it now. Watch part one. Okay. Just take that, put that in. Okay. Done.
Dan: And of course, Dr. Seaton's like, oh, here we go. So where are these people? And she says, they're in between dimensions. Dr. Seaton's like about to explode. He's like, this is bullshit. No one's going to believe any of this, are they?
Gav: And Scott says, some hands came out of the puddle and they pulled us all inside it. And Tangina's like, yep, that's what I thought. They're in between dimensions.
Dan: Oh, it's pull arms. I've seen that before. Puddle arms. I've seen this before.
Gav: They're in between dimensions. I know this. That's fine.
Dan: Why that puddle and not that puddle, Tangina? Don't know.
Gav: Dr. Seaton says, so you're the hype act. You're the hype man. Carol Anne does all the mass hypnosis and you come along and do all the hype. I see. So you're a duo.
Dan: You're a tag team, and she's the hype lady, isn't she?
Gav: Imagine Tangina's hype lady.
Dan: With a big clock on her, like a flavor flavor.
Gav: Oh, it's down bone on the microphone and Tangina's like, on the microphone.
Dan: The clock would just make her fall over.
Gav: It'd have to be a little wristwatch. What would her rap name be?
Dan: Tangina Vagina. Tangina La Diva, Diva Tangina.
Gav: Yeah, Orangina Tangina.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: Shake the bottle, wake the drink. Tangina is wearing a necklace, and he says, well, what's that you've got there then? Dr. Seaton says, is that some piece of magical jewelry? And she just says, it's from a friend of mine. He gave it to me for protection, so it's from Taylor. It's a Native American piece.
Dan: It's like the first one was Steven Spielberg. This is more like Steven Iceberg. It's just not there, but it's trying to be. Steamy Schiltberg. Yeah, it's just like, you know.
Gav: They all head back up to the apartment, Carol Ann's room. They see her reflection, but only in the mirror, not in real life. And again, really good effects.
Dan: On the way up, Tangina starts to talk about some nonsense. I was like, I can't even fucking follow that nonsense. So Shrink says right in, says, that's a lot of crap that doesn't mean anything. And I was like, I agree. I absolutely agree.
Gav: Yes, buddy.
Dan: I wonder if someone was writing the script and they read that. And they said, well, that's a lot of crap no one cares about. And it's like, right, I'm writing that in.
Gav: But Aunt Tresh and Uncle Bruce now see Carol Ann in the mirror, but not in real life. So they start to believe she's there.
Dan: Done, really nicely done.
Gav: And Tanjina is saying, come back to our side, Carol Ann. Come on, you can do it, we're all here for you. And she can't really hear them. She's definitely trapped in this limbo.
Dan: The bit when Tanjina falls to the floor and just face melts.
Gav: She dies instantly.
Dan: And Laura Blankboyle just comes out of her body and was like, what the fuck?
Gav: Great.
Dan: It's really good.
Gav: I want more of this.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: So strangely, Tanjina's character is now killed off. Although she carries on being in it as like an Obi-Wan Kenobi type character. She is instantly killed when this creature pretending to be Carol Anne.
Dan: You're right. Yeah.
Gav: So Carol Anne reaches out through the mirror, but it's actually the demon or Kane or whoever it is. Instantly, she rots into a corpse. And then like Gav's just described, her body then is moving around. And Lara Flynn Boyle crawls out of Tangina's corpse. She's dead. And apparently Zelda Rubenstein was a bit annoyed that her character got killed off so abruptly, but it is what it is. Yeah. Donna climbs out of her. So she sacrificed herself, essentially. They take her and shower her. They lie her down.
Dan: Same as Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Gav: It is. He gets cut, don't they?
Dan: I can't come out of Obi-Wan Kenobi in these films. You're gone.
Gav: You're so fast, look.
Dan: You're so fast, look.
Gav: You're so fast, camera man. No, I wouldn't leave Dr. Seaton alone with my Donna. My daughter was Lara from Boyle.
Dan: You kebab.
Gav: He says, you look after her while we go off.
Dan: I had a kebab the other night.
Gav: And he lies her down and he's, you've already told us this.
Dan: Did I? I was well into it.
Gav: Fucking hell. This is how bad Poltergeist III is. Gav's telling us for the second time about the kebab.
Dan: I just can't believe how great that kebab was. It's those chilies though. It's those arseloads of chilies when I go. They're so nice and juicy.
Gav: The last thing Donna says to Dr. Seaton is, she's droning. Caroline is droning there. Trish starts freaking out. She actually says at this point, I've had enough of this, Bruce. I never wanted that girl here. I want to ship her back to my sister, forget all of this. He's like, yeah, but she's missing. We don't know where she is. She's like, well, she's probably playing a trick on us. I just want to get rid of her. So she's had enough, Trish. The family is falling apart and that's when Cain can get in, Gav. Cain needs cracks in the family. Otherwise, Dr. Seaton chases Carol Anne's reflection down the corridor and the lift opens and he sees her in the reflection of the lift and he thinks, oh, she's in there, but she's not in there, but she's not in there, but she is in there, strange. And then the lift opens again and it's no lift, it's just the shaft. And Donna comes up behind him, shove.
Dan: Push them in. Splat.
Gav: And Scott comes out the lift and they start giggling and they're not actually Scott and Donna, but they're like a possessed.
Dan: Yeah, because for no reason, he rips half of her face off and then they're just walking around. It makes no sense. It's forced. It's pushing down our face that they're not real and it's just pointless.
Gav: But also it's a call back to the first Poltergeist where the guy ripped his face off.
Dan: But that just makes me want to watch the first movie, which is a lot better.
Gav: And then she says, she believed we were really them. And you're like, what? What are you doing? This is nonsense.
Dan: It's decent news of Mirror still, of the trick they've got going on with their reflection being seen where the reality is not being seen is good.
Gav: Well, Bruce and Tresh continue to argue. She thinks that Carol Anne is tricking them, so they head down to the basement.
Dan: Basic glimpses of her. So they start to go, oh, they start just seeing her go around a corner, kind of like that Donald Sutherland movie. Don't look, though. Yeah.
Gav: Great, great movie.
Dan: I really like it. I love it. I don't like it.
Gav: It's got one of the weirdest sex scenes you'll ever see.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: So they go into a freezer room and all the dead pigs start wiggling around and winking. And then a big, whooshing, watery void, a big, wet void starts coming at them.
Dan: Just the music the whole time. At this point, the hidden music isn't too bad. And it works fine as a compliment, not a compliment, an accompaniment behind. Nothing major, but it's working okay at the moment.
Gav: And then Tangina pops out of the big, wet void and says, Outside in. And then they're instantly transported into the car park. Oh no, they've gone from the freezer to the car park. Now at this point, Trish still isn't convinced. You've just been teleported from a room full of moving, dead pigs into the car park. And you're still not convinced that this is real. All the cars start up.
Dan: This is quite cool.
Gav: Yeah, Cain's in one of the cars.
Dan: But Cain shouldn't be in it and it shouldn't be a Poltergeist movie. It should be just Tom Skerritt and Nancy Allen's Mum and Dad in a building which takes on its mind of its own. That's, you know, this would be a lot better film.
Gav: Tom Skerritt challenges Cain and says, What do you want? And he says, I want you, all of you. And then Bruce lights some fuel and that blows up a car. Then that turns on the sprinklers and all the snow and ice vanishes.
Dan: A huge explosion. It was fucking ridiculous. So that is way better. I bet that was more than they thought was going to happen. I guarantee it.
Gav: Keep it in the movie.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: What happens is that the sprinklers come on. Oh yeah. And then Mary shows up. Some woman called Mary we met once earlier. One of Tom Skerritt's work colleagues shows up. She says, oh, it's all normal.
Dan: It's all right.
Gav: What are you guys doing kissing in the basement? Hey, you must have a fixation for it. Well, just to let you know that Caroline and Donna are upstairs asking where you are.
Dan: It's kind of like it was all the dream type scenario.
Gav: But really, she's probably not really Mary. She's more likely to be one of the demons pretending.
Dan: So what is Cain even doing? Is he just watching Caroline? Is he just playing with them?
Gav: I don't know, Gav. And to be honest, I don't care.
Dan: Yeah, I know. I'm not watching this one again.
Gav: So they all get in the lift.
Dan: It goes crazy. It stops between floors, but they get out. I'm always like, don't do that. You're going to get chopped in half.
Gav: I did that once in real life.
Dan: You got chopped in half?
Gav: No, I climbed out through a lift when it was halfway between floors. I think I told this story before. I was doing a paper. Well, I didn't know about it really then. I was about 12 years old and it was the only way out, really.
Dan: Yeah, I guess. The shrink is now a skeleton.
Gav: Yes, they see Dr. Seaton dead on top of the lift. And so there's only one place that can get to us. The roof.
Dan: Let's go to the roof.
Gav: Why?
Dan: Why? Because they can get them anywhere. He's gone from the house in the suburbs now to here.
Gav: So now what would have been good is if they got up there and they'd find John McClane up there attacking people.
Dan: Get back down. It's too dangerous up here. Oh, I hope we could do that with AI mash up movies.
Gav: Get into the top of the Poltergeist III tower and John McClane's up there. Welcome to the party, pal.
Dan: That's it. Oh, so good.
Gav: And loads of other movies that take place on the top of buildings.
Dan: You could edit that, though. You just had a shot of him saying, well, we should have put it like that and then just cut to it. You could.
Gav: I'd love to see that. So Carol Anne then appears and says, weirdly, you should just leave me alone with Kane. I'll lead them all to the light and let you live and I'll die. It's fine. It's not a problem. But Trish says she has a change of heart. She says, no, she dives into the vortex. It's very snowy and icy.
Dan: At this point, we had just got a movie about a mum and dad looking for a lost kid around a building.
Gav: Well, an auntie and uncle.
Dan: Sorry, yeah, but it could just be like that. And I don't know. So what's going on here? And it's because a lot of the script wasn't done, so the editors had to do what they could. So, you know.
Gav: Trish calls them all by name. Bruce, Donna, Carol Anne, Zelda, not Zelda. So, Tangina, where are you? Where's my family, Kane? Where are they all?
Dan: The bit when I'm on the scaffolding outside, Tom Skerritt has a spade and hits the window. The spade then growls at him.
Gav: I don't get that scene.
Dan: I don't know what's going on.
Gav: That's the only swear word as well.
Dan: Trying to say, you're not allowed to get back in, I guess.
Gav: When the spade growls at him, he says, you motherfucker, or something like that to the spade. It's like, why is that the only swear word in this, to a spade?
Dan: Well, you can only have one for 50 back in the day.
Gav: But, we get some good effects with mirrors, and lots of skeletons show up. Cain gets beheaded, and the head lies on the floor, chattering away for ages. It's not a very good effect. And then he reappears again, so he's not actually dead. But this time, Tangina shows up, and she says, let me lead you to the light, Cain, not Carol Anne. I have the same powers as her. And he's like, oh, all right, then I will. So he could have just gone with Tangina the whole time. Why didn't Tangina sacrifice herself from the beginning? So she takes his hand, she sacrifices himself, she leads Cain to the light. Bruce, Carol Anne and Donna all reappear in the real world. And at this point, it isn't actually Heather O'Rourke for this scene, because she'd passed. You don't see her face, he's cuddling a different child.
Dan: When they come out the light, the composer just does some random piano notes. There's nothing, it's like, what thought was here for this? What emotion are you trying to convey?
Gav: I don't think anybody gave a shit at this point, because Heather had died. So for these last few scenes, that's why it's so muddled.
Dan: But the composer's later on doing this, when the film's finished, in the comfort of his own home. He's just doing what he visually sees, or not a studio or whatever, or she is, or they are.
Gav: And it just ends with, she saved us. And you don't see Heather, obviously. You don't see Carol Anne's face. And then when you think it's all over, they're obviously trying to set up a sequel, even though, even though this movie is appalling.
Dan: It's supposed to be a podcast, not a building.
Gav: Lightning strikes the building, and then you hear, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. You might as well say, oh, I'll be back.
Dan: Ah, ah, not good, really not good.
Gav: Well, it's not often I don't recommend a film, girl.
Dan: It isn't, actually.
Gav: You know, yeah, no, look, I will emphasize there are some positive points before I tell you my final summary. Some Tom Skerritt and Nancy Allen do quite well with what they've got. Special effects are fantastic on the mirrors and everything, you know. But this, I would only tell you to watch this film if you've never seen it. I wouldn't recommend it, though.
Dan: And you're complete.
Gav: I wouldn't recommend it. If you've seen Poltergeist I, stop there. Maybe watch II, it's very good, but don't worry about III. It's not worth your time. And if you haven't seen it for a while, don't worry about revisiting it. It's not very good. There's a reason it's the only one on UK Netflix. It's the only Poltergeist movie on there, or it might not be anymore. It used to be on the horror channel in the UK every weekend. So I've seen this film quite a lot of times. And the reason I watched it was because I would always be like, what happened in the final act? I can't remember. It's just too muddled.
Dan: It's funny though, I've ever seen it on Netflix, been like, fuck. And a lot of people who had never, back in the day, ever seen it, been like, oh, let's watch a horror movie. Let's do a Poltergeist III. And just be like, fuck is this?
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: I wonder how it had done, you know, reviews.
Gav: I give this a three out of 10 on IMDb. Which is really low for me.
Dan: So low for you. I'll give it a four.
Gav: The reason for that is, I feel like they're really exploiting Heather O'Rourke and the Poltergeist name. And also I feel like if you compare it to the first film and even the second film, it's such a drop in quality. And there's not even really, there is a good idea in that haunted building or building that you can't escape from is trying to get you. But it's so muddled and I appreciate that it's because Heather O'Rourke passed away and they had to really make up the last half of the film. They probably all took a month or so off and then the studio was like, okay, you've had some time to grieve, now fucking finish this film and they're all like, well, hang on a minute, what do we do? How do we do it? So they just did what they could, but they didn't do a great job and it's just a really, that's such a shame really that this is the third one in the trilogy really.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: But it is what it is. I wouldn't recommend this.
Dan: No, and I'm boiling hot. We're going to have to get out of here soon. Fucking hell. I've said what I've said about this film. I think it should be a different film entirely and I think that would have worked probably better.
Gav: Before we go to tomorrow, I'll try to say goodbye to everyone. I'll very quickly wrap up the Poltergeist franchise by quickly mentioning Poltergeist 2015, which we have talked about before with Sam Rockwell.
Dan: Oh yes. Sam Rockwell, I remember on the release of it, he actually said it's crap.
Gav: I'd actually say it's probably better than part three, but it's not great and it's not worth your time either really.
Dan: Let me fucking get at it. Give me the money to make the fucking film.
Gav: But surprisingly, the one part of the Poltergeist franchise I will mention, which some people might not be aware of, is a series which came out in 96 for four seasons, so 96, 97, 98 and 99.
Dan: Poltergeist Legacy?
Gav: Poltergeist Legacy.
Dan: I remember hearing that and going, oh, I watched that. What channel was it? Was it Sky?
Gav: I think it was like, what channel was it?
Dan: Skylanta or some show?
Gav: Sci-fi channel and Showtime channels. So I watched this because I basically downloaded the whole show back when I used to download stuff and I thought, I'm going to check this out because I've got a bit of a soft spot for 90s TV shows, like The X-Files and stuff like that. And this is basically a bit like The X-Files. It's a group of like four or five people who run something called The Legacy. It's got nothing to do with Poltergeist or anything like that. It's just a caching on the name. But actually it's trashy, enjoyably trashy, I should say.
Dan: It's not got a Poltergeist in it.
Gav: Nothing to do with Poltergeist. Every week it's a different story. They go and investigate a different ghost or a different supernatural occurrence. Sometimes it's linked into one of the cast members. Some of the stories follow through. But basically they're called The Legacy. They investigate different things around America and there's a British guy, an Irish guy, a Scottish guy, an American guy.
Dan: There's a Friday 13th series. Nothing to do with Friday 13th, wasn't there?
Gav: Yeah, there is. There's also the Nightmare on Elm Street series. Obviously, that has to do with it, but also it's not either. So yeah, it's a standalone really, but I just wanted to mention that there is a series. I probably wouldn't recommend it because it's four seasons, but if you want something trashy and you ever come across it, it's worth watching for a bit of fun. If you're like me and you have a lot of time or don't really anymore. That one I had a lot of time.
Dan: Yeah. I remember being younger. I remember when the only time you could watch some American TV, which was like some wrestling stuff, and Freddy's Nightmares was like, sound like 3.30, 4 o'clock in the morning on ITV. You'd be like, look at the TV guy going, I really want to watch Freddy's Nightmares, but I don't want to stay up till 3.30 in the morning. I'm like a little kid.
Gav: I used to record them though.
Dan: Yeah. But that's when they used to be on. It's so weird.
Gav: My friend had Sky and he used to record Freddy's Nightmares.
Dan: Oh, cool.
Gav: Probably only about four episodes, to be honest, but we had them all on a tape and we'd watch them. We had the-
Dan: I've never really seen many of them, because I just can't access them.
Gav: I think Brad Pitt or Johnny Depp, one of them was in it. No, it wasn't Johnny Depp. It was Brad Pitt, I think. We had the one with him in it, whoever it was, someone famous like that. Yeah, they are what they are. They try and cash in, they try and push it with these franchises and turn them into series and it's not going to work really. There we go. That's Poltergeist.
Dan: Let's get out of here before I am the incredible Milton man.
Gav: I don't want to see that. All right then. And we're back. Thank you for coming along with us today.
Dan: If it's a new episode, welcome. Share, like, subscribe.
Gav: Stop copying me.
Dan: My name's Dan Bowen.
Gav: My name is Gav. No, but thank you everybody for listening. It's a funny one because I was really looking forward to doing Poltergeist II and III, and actually III is just such a drop in quality from the first two. So, yeah, it's not often you will hear me say thumbs down or don't recommend. But that's that. We've done the Poltergeist franchise now, which is exciting to have knocked that one off the list. I know what you're asking, Gav. What's up? Coming up next?
Dan: What's next, Daniel?
Gav: Well, in our next episode, episode 161...
Dan: I can't really remember.
Gav: Well, in our next episode, we're going to be... Come on, baby, let's do the twist.
Dan: Why?
Gav: We're going to be doing a twist because it's an M. Night Shyamalan episode.
Dan: Oh, I thought we were doing tornadoes or something.
Gav: We're going to be covering the sixth sentence from arguably the best year of the 90s for cinema, 1999. The sixth sentence and signs from 2002. So Mel Gibson and Bruce Willis.
Dan: That would be good.
Gav: Yeah, sixth sentence signs. So Shyamalan, we'll have a look at his back catalog as well. After that, it's a... Patron pick pick pick. It's another exciting episode because Kevin S. Fife has picked a couple of giallos for us.
Dan: Oh yeah. Oh yeah, boy.
Gav: Sergio Martino's torso.
Dan: Horses with sores. No, sores with whores.
Gav: No, sores.
Dan: No, it is whores with sores.
Gav: Horses with meat sores.
Dan: Horses with meat sores. Okay.
Gav: From 1973. And the master himself, Argento's Tenebrae from 1982.
Dan: I fucking can't wait.
Gav: What a hell of an episode that's going to be. And then episode 163, Gav, will be us mopping up another franchise we started last year. We're going to be covering Final Destination 3, 4 and 5.
Dan: Wow. We're doing three movies, but we're going to have to do a briefer look at go through them then.
Gav: Well, don't forget, we did Phantasm 2, 3 and, sorry, 3, 4 and 5 once as well. So we can do it. It can be done. But yeah, we will do a briefer.
Dan: We'll do a briefer. If anything, the films are more about the kills.
Gav: Exactly. We'll be talking heavily about the way people die because we're horrible. But yeah, so those films are 2006, 2009 and 2011. So that'll be fun. So yeah, we've got M. Night Shyamalan, followed by Kevin's Jello picks, followed by Final Destination 3, 4 and 5. So really good episodes coming up. Stick with us, guys. I hope you enjoyed this episode and I hope you enjoy the ones to come. So before we say our goodbyes and thank yous, I'll do some housekeeping. And as always, we have been the podcast on Haunted Hill. Thank you for listening, subscribing, sharing or whatever it is you do. We are a proud member of Legion Podcast Network and have been for 10 years now. We will be entering our 11th year this December, which is crazy. We are also under Deadbolt Media. More of that in a moment, more on that in a moment. You can find out more about Legion Podcasts if you visit the website legionpodcasts.com You can find out more about us and all the other shows on the website there. And also you can email us. Our email address is thepodcastonhauntedhill at outlook.com If you have any questions, queries, requests, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera, or animal drug stories. God wants to hear those. We're on Facebook.
Dan: Or drug finding stories.
Gav: Drug finding. We're on Facebook as well. Just search for the podcast on Haunted Hill or search for Legion Podcasts. We both have pages on that. And wherever you're listening to us now is wherever you can continue to listen to us. We are on Spotify, YouTube, Bodknife, Podbean, Apple Podcasts, Adidas and all the usual podcast platforms. We're on IG, Insta, The Gram, as the kids call it. Our handle, I think that's the cool name, is the podcast on Haunted Hill Insta.
Dan: It's been cool since CB drivers drove trucks doing what their handles were.
Gav: Handle, Smokey, there's a Smokey on your tail. I mentioned Deadbolt, that is our production company, Deadbolt Films.
Dan: Can I very quickly shout out there, currently right now there's about 25 days or so to go. The campaign is out on Kickstarter if you're interested in tentacle porn. If you don't know what I'm talking about, and that's shocking you straight away, we made a comic called Eldritch Lust. Issue one came out and it's kind of HP Lovecraft. It's drawn stuff, it's not photographs and for something. It's animation and issue two is currently being funded if you want to get involved. If that's your bag, it's not just straight, it's gay as well, you know, it's...
Gav: Yeah. It's got something for everyone.
Dan: Yeah, and it's really incredible art. It's actually a very beautiful artwork and it involves things.
Gav: Well, that's Deadbot Films, that's our production company. Under the umbrella of Deadbot Media, there is obviously the podcast on Haunted Hill. There's also Gab's other podcast, which is...
Dan: The High Strangeless Podcast with my lovely Sarah, where we look at strange and weird things. Recently, we released the last episode of stuff that you find on the beach.
Gav: Washed up on the beach.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: Dildos and drugs.
Dan: Things.
Gav: Just like what I've got under my bed, really. And also, there are comics, not just Tentacle porn comics, there are other comics as well. And there's some short films, there's some features. And if you go to our YouTube channel, yeah, Deadbolt Films, you will find more about it there. And we're on Instagram, if you want to follow us, it's just Deadbolt Films.
Dan: Do subscribe to YouTube. We don't have stuff all the time, because it takes us quite a long time to make the stuff. But when we do make it, it's fairly decent. I'd like to try and say it's fairly decent quality. You know, it just takes a while to make them.
Gav: We are also part of Patreon. So if you want to support the show and keep us going in a monetary sense, then for as little as a pound or a dollar a month, you can do so. Thank you so much. Thank you to our patrons.
Dan: If you think about doing it or if you are doing it.
Gav: Just search for the podcast on Haunted Hill on Patreon, or you can shoot me a message. I'm also on Facebook Messenger as well. And I'll let you know how to do that. No pressure, of course, because we would do this even if we had no patrons, but it does help us to rent buy films or equipment and things like that.
Dan: Yeah, as equipment does start to wear down and we do have to replace stuff.
Gav: My headphones, as I've shown Gareth, I'm needing...
Dan: We were discussing before, Dan's cups and his headphones are the black, obviously soft cups go in his ears. After a while, this is actually many years of use, they start to just crack because it's the material. They're falling apart. His headphones are falling apart and he keeps finding black bits in his ears after recording. I said get some new headphones.
Gav: Yeah, maybe I will. So if you become a patron, you will get a t-shirt in any size, in one of three colors sent to you wherever you live in the world. You'll also get to program an episode because every three episodes is a patron pick where you pick the two episodes. Yes. Every time we get through all the patrons, we start again. So you will end up having two, three, four goes.
Dan: By the way, do try and get the same headphones because your microphone sounds very good. It's always been very clear.
Gav: Thank you. I will do my very bestest. You will also get exclusive access to any extra content we put out. Sometimes we release our episodes a week early just for our patrons. We do bonus content occasionally and every freaky Friday, we release one of our old episodes. So eventually all of our episodes will be on patrons.
Dan: Yeah. The times we don't release episodes early to patrons, it's only because of the schedule and it's easy just to get it out because we've got to work stuff out. But we try to do like at least a week early or so sometimes. Yeah. It doesn't always happen though.
Gav: Sometimes if life works out, we almost end up banking an episode occasionally so we can release them earlier. But sometimes we just drop them.
Dan: And sometimes we're delayed from recording problems.
Gav: And as always, we thank our patrons by name at the end of each episode, which I'm going to do now in the style of Zelda Rubin. So I'm not really going to do it like that. But thank you ever so much to Dante Carolean, to Don Collier Carolean, Matthew Godley Carolean, Jamie Jenkins Carolean, Kevin S. Fife Carolean, Sarah K. Carolean, Rachel Carolean, RJ McCready Carolean, and Lex Boo Carolean. Lead us into the light.
Dan: This house is clear.
Gav: 122 Caroleans used in the Poltergeist III. So I guess if you are going to watch it, have a drinking game with some friends. Can you imagine?
Dan: I would say smoke a bong, but you'll be asleep.
Gav: Wouldn't happen. Carolean, 122 times. That's nuts. But that's it. That's episode 160 in the bag.
Dan: Thank you for listening, everyone. Thanks for coming along with us. We thoroughly enjoy it. You know, I'm hot as shit this time, but at least I'm not smelling shit this time.
Gav: You're hot as shit. You just don't smell of shit.
Dan: Good. It's what you want in someone, really. Hot as shit, but they don't smell of shit.
Gav: That's very true. It's a weird phrase, isn't it? Oh, she's hot as shit. Because shit is really hot when it first comes out of you. Whoa, the lights have just gone out behind Garfin. It looks really spooky. What's happening?
Dan: Is this the beginning of Host?
Gav: It looks like the Blair Witch Project. I know, you're in the dark.
Dan: Oh, it's just gone completely black behind me. So looking at what you can see, Dan, that's funny.
Gav: Creepy, isn't it? It is really creepy, yep. It's normally me that has the spooky stuff happen. But there we go. So, there we go, the light's come back on. Thank god for that.
Dan: Why did it go off?
Gav: Well, listen, it's a good night from someone knocking at your door, and you can't see who they are because it's out of ribbon stones. She's just a tiny little lady.
Dan: I thought you were telling me someone was knocking at my door and knocking here and there. You're almost creeping me out now.
Gav: No. Any good nights from you?
Dan: Yeah. Look under the bed for fucking Tangina. She's getting any little crevice.
Gav: Look under the bed for the vomit tequila worm thing as well.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: And it's a good night from Carol Ann. It's a good night from Kane because God is in his holy temple.
Dan: You got that thing under the bed. You got Kane at the front door. You got Tangina in any hole you should get into.
Gav: And on top of all of that, Carol Ann's in the mirror.
Dan: Yeah. It's just people all over the place. It's like a fucking hide-and-seek.
Gav: I'm moving into this really cool high-tech tower, Gav. It's got a supermarket, a swimming pool, art gallery. It's got everything built into it. Trouble is, it's got fucking ghosts everywhere.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: Mirrors are all cracked. I can't see shit. There's a dead guy on top of the lift.
Dan: I'm just waiting for this light to go out again.
Gav: Don't go out. Well, listen. Good night, Gav. Good night, me. And it's a good night.
Dan: Creepy and scary. I'm scared, Daniel.
Gav: Take care, everyone. Goodbye.
Dan: Thank you for listening to the podcast on Haunted Hill. We will be back again real soon.