Craft Beer Pioneer Matthew Boynton of Sakamichi Brewing talks about starting an alcohol business in the new, smoke-free, covid-filled landscape of Japan, a country so steeped in drinking "culture" that it probably shouldn't drive.
Plus, Ollie recommends a cruise for passengers who want to be prepared for the worst,
and, you know what? Bobby DID wake up in a bath tub full of ice on his last river cruise, but he honestly can't tell whether or not anything is missing.
Topics discussed on this episode range from:
- How we're toasting the end of the Internet Explorer Era
- What goes in to our first official podcast beverage
- What Ollie REALLY thinks of Craft Beer fans
- Matthew's road to opening a craft beer brewery in Japan
- How craft beer customers defied both Japan and Matthew's expectations
- THE EASIEST QUESTION WE'VE EVER ASKED ANYONE
- Sexist tropes in Japanese marketing to women, and how Matthew avoids them by using a groundbreaking philosophy of treating female customers as individuals
- How to qualify for the chance to APPLY for a business loan
- How the changing landscape of Japan around drinking culture due to covid has impacted Sakamichi Brewing's business
- This Article
- How sometimes Japan changes its rules and regulations on the fly to adapt to societal forces
- The preclusive requirements to get a license to start a brewery
- How the Craft Beer industry began in Japan with the Ji-beer movement, and how that set the reputation for craft beer as being... bad
- The lengths that Matthew's customers go to get a bunch of alcohol in their veins
- The indoor smoking ban, and how wistful alcoholics may have forgotten about it when they dream of a return to pre-covid normalcy
- How all the people who talk about drinking as a social and professional obligation have been spending their time at home, free of social and professional obligations
- What does "drinking culture" really mean?
- Comparing the changes in alcohol consumption habits between Japan and the UK and the US
- The General Soleimani assassination reference that FINALLY made it into the final edit of a JBRC show
- Matthew's Answer to another super easy question: does he think craft beer is as useless as Ollie's comedy?
- What we're all going to do when the perks of modern civilization disappear
Topics discussed on the extras include:
or Tweet to us at @jbrcpod
The Mitchell and Webb Sketch
Black Lives Matter
Official George Floyd Memorial Fund
NAACP Legal Defense Fund
Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust
Other things to click on
Some are affiliate links because we're sell-outs
- We record remotely using Squadcast and the podcast is hosted on Transistor.
- Bobby uses the Samson Go Mic and Ollie uses the AT2005USB mic
What is Japan By River Cruise?
Stand-up comedians Bobby Judo and Ollie Horn purport to report on the Japanese river cruise industry each week.