Tokyo Cheapo Co-founder Greg Lane joins the boys to talk about a new Harry Potter theme park plus unmanned convenience stores. BTW, did you hear? JK Rowling says that just because they're "unmanned" doesn't make them women.
Also, Ollie recommends a river cruise that, on the one hand, is profiting off of racism, but on the other hand, has gathered a bunch of racists in one, pretty vulnerable location. Just saying. Plus, Bobby lets a bunch of angry river cruise shachos yell at Greg for 25 minutes.
Topics discussed on this episode range from:
- Tourism/event related business woes
- Bobby's t-shirt
- Overcorrecting perceived racism
- The (main) difference between Michelle Obama and Bob Sapp
- The plans to open a new Harry Potter park in Tokyo
- Why Disney Prince is such an appealing career option
- Why any modern business plan needs to be at least 50% the answer to the world's political and environmental problems
- The liquefaction issues at Disney
- How to make disaster prevention whimsical
- Theme parks going contactless to prevent transfer of germs AND Sexual Misconduct accusations
- How nice it is to have cashless.
- Sorry, I meant how to "have a nice cashless."
- Japan's weird order for technology adoption
- Unmanned convenience stores
- How all of the self-checkout technology either feels like shoplifting or lends to it
- How going "personless" is still pretty meaningless because we all still end up touching each other anyway
- How Ollie has bonded with the call center people
- How travel companies and affiliate sites are splitting up that tourism money
- Greg's insight into the tensions between the old guard and the new guard in the Japanese tourism industry
- Behind the scenes in how the money gets handed out in the talent industry
- What Greg has learned about the differences between how our Asian neighbors and our Western family members travel Japan
- What you ARE allowed to do with those Mario Karts, but shouldn't
- What Greg said to the family of four who wanted to book a night in a manga kissa
- What the real work behind running a site like Tokyo Cheapo requires
- Some of the ways in which Japan DOES rip off tourists
- What Greg SHOULDN'T say about tourists, but then does
- How much it costs to for Jiro-dreams-of sushi to jerk you off
or Tweet to us at @jbrcpod
Black Lives Matter
Official George Floyd Memorial Fund
NAACP Legal Defense Fund
Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust
Other things to click on
Some are affiliate links because we're sell-outs
- We record remotely using Squadcast and the podcast is hosted on Transistor.
- Bobby uses the Samson Go Mic and Ollie uses the AT2005USB mic
What is Japan By River Cruise?
Stand-up comedians Bobby Judo and Ollie Horn purport to report on the Japanese river cruise industry each week.